Too much "putting foot in it" ?

BurgerPhone

I have watched 1988 to 1994 within a year and one thing I notice that happens almost every episode is one of the characters putting their foot in it and saying something they shouldn't. It is so annoying now as it is so obvious. Irene, Marilyn and Sam are the worst for it, especially Sam. I don't think a week goes by when Sam doesn't blurt out something he heard to someone else. Anyone else agree they over do this ? 

I totally agree with this. As much as I love the show this is a very lazy plot device. One of the only things that the show still does to this day. Sometime in the mid 00s Colleen was doing it practically every episode. Even in situations where realistically it would be so obvious you'd be saying the wrong thing. 

Well Sam can be excused, because him being a child he's not supposed to know that sometimes it is necessary to lie or keep secrets. But I have been really annoyed with Michael at one time when Luke told him to say anything to Tug about paying for him and yet as soon as he walks away, Michael tells Tug that he should be looking for a job really quickly. And then he doesn't understand what he's done wrong.:whistling:

• 3 months later...

I also find this aspect of the show quite annoying

one scene you see someone confiding something "confidential" with someone, and they promise to keep it quiet and not tell anyone.  Then the next scene, it is being discussed at the diner or alfs store with all and sundry, and next it is common knowledge in summer bay.

I find myself shouting at the tv screen quite often "you weren't meant to tell anyone!" :D

small town mentality and chinese whispers at its best, not the best place to keep a secret that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived