Stupid storylines - 1988 to 1991

BurgerPhone

I have chosen this era as I am up to September 1991 right now after binge watching from the start about 3 months ago. So I have seen a lot of storylines in a very short space of time. What are your most daft or illogical storylines from this era ? By the way, I love the show, and these nitpicks are just things which make discussing it more fun, I am not serious enough to really be annoyed with these things. I know everything can also be answered with "well, it is just a soap, early evening entertainment for teens, what do you expect".

Mine are.......

1. The pop group of Marilyn, Lance and Martin. What in the world was that all about ? They couldn't sing or dance yet they were made in to a proper band with people spending thousands on making their music videos ? The whole thing was cringeworthy.

2. Marilyn's mortgage. I don't know if things were different in 1990 but she didn't half get that mortgage easy for working part time in a corner shop. Also what happened to the place that Lance purchased ?

3. Rebel kids on day one wearing non-school uniform, then arriving the next day in full uniform because of a cheesy monologue from Fisher. Also supposedly it says school uniforms are not compulsory in the rules, so why the problem ?

4. Sophie and Davids relationship, there was zero chemistry there, Rebecca did some great acting but Guy just seemed to not care at all and was very one dimensional. Speaking of which, everyone got over his death pretty quick didn't they ? I guess binge watching episodes makes those things more noticeable :)

5. I am not sure if things are more strict in Aus but I am fairly shocked at how strict the parents or guardians are over 16 and 17 year old kids. Most people I know or knew at that age would be allowed out until all hours at 15 as long as it didn't effect school times. Yet people like Blake and Karen seem to still be getting grounded at 16.

6. Characters who come and go but appear to be best friends. What happened to Paul and Mullet ? Also why does leaving the bay mean you are never friends again ? So many serious relationships ended instantly just because people more away.

7. Alf lost the lease on his shop, but managed to get it back for a new shop straight after, how did that happen ? I know Ailsa got it for him, but I still don't get it as they were married and bankrupt. Also now he can afford to give Marilyn her job back and for extra staff ?

8. What was the point in the Tracey Turner storyline ?

9. I thought Grant Mitchell was a great character, but why did he keep leaving and come back for such a short space of time ? Down to the actor I guess, but it doesn't make much sense. So he won't stick around to take a class of year 8 pupils even though the job is there (even after refusing the year 10 job of Donalds) ? But he will become a part time lifeguard ?

10. Can anyone explain to me what exactly happened with Macklins ? They were going to build this huge place that the residents of Summer Bay were worried about. They had their own office where Stacy, Tom, Frank, Martin, and Roo worked. So what was built in the end ? Did anything change on Summer Bay ?

Thanks all.

Also there was the storyline with the shark hunter (Zack?) in 1989. Im NOT referring to the shark storyline being stupid. I hated the part where he tried to convince everyone he was having an affair with Pippa. It brought out the worst in Tom and poor Pippa was treated terribly. Carly was even quick to think the worst. I was glad when Steven proved Pippa was innocent. In the end it was Adam who caught the shark anyway :)

The Summer Bay Bunyip storyline was ridiculous but I still laughed at the antics involved with that storyline from time to time when I saw it a few years back.

Also there was the storyline with the shark hunter (Zack?) in 1989. Im NOT referring to the shark storyline being stupid. I hated the part where he tried to convince everyone he was having an affair with Pippa. It brought out the worst in Tom and poor Pippa was treated terribly. Carly was even quick to think the worst. I was glad when Steven proved Pippa was innocent. In the end it was Adam who caught the shark anyway :)

A truly awful storyline in so many ways.

First of all Pippa did nothing wrong apart from Zack acting like a sleaze bag and secondly I hated the fact that so many characters such as Carly, Tom and Bobby wrote off Pippa so quickly without knowing the facts. It was out of character for them and an awful storyline of the early years.

Archived