Pippa's medical condition

Guest beau_t

In the show's first year it was discussed a lot that Pippa wasn't able to have children, and then when she fell pregnant with Christopher she decided to go ahead with the pregnancy even though it could cause complications and possibly even kill her. This is a secret that she kept from everyone including Tom for a while.

Has this even been mentioned since Pippa has again fell pregnant in the latest episodes? She seemed happy to reveal all in front of Michael, Sophie and Sally at the same time. You'd think she'd have told Michael first, in private, and told him about the complications and risk etc. I know the pregnancy was only written into the storyline because Debra became pregnant in real life but that's still no reason to completely ignore a major plot point.

I seem to remember it was down to her having a weak heart from rheumatic fever and the possibility that she wouldn't survive childbirth as a result.I agree that ignoring it on both her later pregnancies seems strange but I've always just assumed, rightly or wrongly, that medical science advanced in the interim and it wasn't an issue anymore.(I seem to remember she does briefly mention being told she couldn't have children c.1996 when Fin was told the same but I don't think she went into details.)

They definitely talk about it in 1997 when Marilyn asks Pippa for advice and Pippa tells her that there was always a chance that she could fall pregnant.

Was it briefly touched on a few episodes back when Fin was asking about having kids in the kitchen? I don't have the episode on hand to check... I agree they shouldn't ignore it considering it was such a big deal a few years ago. Maybe they didn't want to bring it up because they thought it would seem too far fetched that she would fall pregnant a couple of years apart considering how rare it was that she could fall pregnant at all.

I think people get confused because the issue was never that she couldn't get pregnant, just that it would be dangerous for her to do so.Tom had a vasectomy to avoid any pregnancies but it didn't hold and she fell pregnant eventually anyway.As far as we know, Michael hasn't had that done so the fact that she's pregnant isn't in itself all that surprising, just the fact that she's so blasé about it.

the fact that she's pregnant isn't in itself all that surprising, just the fact that she's so blasé about it.

Yeah that's exactly it.

I do vaguely remember a storyline about Damien causing grief for Pippa and giving her blood pressure issues, but I don't know if that's during her pregnancy. If it is, then maybe the heart problem is brought up then.

Archived