Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments.

Eighty-one

Ruby gave a stretch as she woke up, turning around in the bed to face her girlfriend. “Morning,” Ruby gave her a big smile, April returning an equally big smile as she wriggled closer to her in the bed. “Happy Birthday,” Ruby placed a soft kiss on April’s lips. “I was planning on having you breakfast in bed ready but you’re already awake.”

April exhaled as she rubbed Ruby’s cheek. “I don’t need breakfast in bed,” April replied. “What I’ve got next to me will do me just fine.” April grinned before placing another kiss on Ruby’s lips.

“Mmm,” Ruby pulled back before she got out of bed, April biting her lip as she stared at her girlfriend’s naked body. Ruby opened the bottom drawer and pulled out a neatly wrapped parcel. “This is only one of your presents.” Ruby said getting back into the bed as April sat up. Ruby sat close to her and handed her the present.

“Thank you,” April smiled as she pulled at the paper to reveal a photo album. She opened it up and saw the first photo was a picture of Ruby and herself when they were about 2 years old, walking hand in hand through the park. “Looks like we were a little couple from an early age.” April gave a little laugh and Ruby nodded.

“Seems so.” Ruby laughed as April turned the pages, pictures of April and Ruby together at past birthdays, Christmases, at the beach, their first day of school all in the album.

“Babe this is awesome.” April smiled, running her hand over a picture of Ruby and herself when they were celebrating Ruby’s 18th birthday.

“I just wanted to make it a little different you know,” Ruby gave a little shrug. “Something more personal.”

“I love it,” April looked to her and placed a kiss on her lips. “And we can keep adding to it. Special moments in our life together,” April cuddled into Ruby a little more. “Our wedding, being pregnant with our children, that kind of stuff.”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled as she played with April’s hair. “You already think about that stuff?”

“I thought about us having kids a lot the last week or two,” April bowed her head down sadly as Ruby noticed her hand going onto her stomach. “Names, how many I’d like to have, that kind of thing.” April said.

“Oh yeah?” Ruby questioned. “How many do you want?”

“Just 2,” April answered. “Ideally a little boy first, then a girl,” April told her. “And I’d love to call a daughter Mila,” April looked up at Ruby with a grin. “Gorgeous name.”

“Hmm.” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“You don’t like the fact I want to name our daughter after my all time crush?” April questioned.

“It’s not that,” Ruby answered. “Just well...Grant’s kid is called Mila and technically she is my sister so...” Ruby shrugged a little.

“Oh of course.” April pursed her lips together. Grant’s kids never really entered her mind. Ruby had nothing to do with them.

“Can’t believe I am going to have 6 siblings.” Ruby muttered but not quite quiet enough for April not to hear.

“Huh? Six?” April looked confused. “Ella, Noah, Toby,” April counted on her hands. “Then there’s Tyler and Mila. Does Grant have a 3rd now too?” April asked and Ruby shook her head.

“No,” Ruby answered. “My mum is pregnant. Did I not tell you?”

“Uh-uh.” April shook her head, her expression a little shocked.

“Well yeah she’s up the duff,” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Can’t believe I will be 22 years older than my brother or sister. How weird is that?” Ruby screwed her face up.

“A little I guess,” April answered. “But it’s not like your mum is too old to be having kids. Would be weird if she was in her 50’s or something.” April answered.

“Like your mum telling you she is having a baby with Zander?” Ruby said and April fake gagged.

“That’s just gross,” April said. “Besides, I’ve not spoken to my mum since she ran off back to Germany all those years ago now so there’s no way she’d even tell me something like that.” April said.

“I guess not,” Ruby exhaled. “Anyways, I guess in a way this is probably good for mum and Brax. They’ve had a tough year and I think a baby will pull them back together again.”

“For sure,” April smiled. “And the kids will be excited.”

“Well as long as it’s the last one I am happy for them too,” Ruby said and April smiled as she put the photo album down on the bedside table. “Anyways, I’ll get you the rest of your presents.”

“Uh-uh,” April shook her head. “Presents can wait. Besides, I like this naked thing that’s beside me very much right now.” April gave a cheeky grin as she raised her eyebrows before leaning and placing a kiss on Ruby’s lips. Ruby smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as they lay back down in the bed.

Charlie, Brax and the kids had spent the weekend getting everything into the new house. They used Monday after school to go out and buy a dog bed, bowls for food and water, toys, a collar and lead, everything they needed for the puppy. Now it was Wednesday, they were making their way out to the farm to pick up the puppy, Rolo having been decided on as his name. Brax parked up the car and before he even had a chance to turn off the ignition the kids jumped out of the car and ran up to the barn shouting out for Rolo, of course it was no use as the puppy wouldn’t know his name yet. “Mummy he not coming,” Toby pouted sadly as he held his hands out to the side and turned to face his mother. “Where Rolo?”

“Well he doesn’t know his name yet buddy,” Charlie answered as she and Brax walked over to their children. “He’ll have to learn it first,” Toby frowned before he ran into the barn behind the twins. Bruce already inside having got their pup out of the enclosure. As he saw Charlie he ran over to her, ignoring the children and putting his front paws onto her legs his tail wagging excitedly. “Hey pup.” Charlie clapped his head.

“Him ours,” Toby ran over and lifted the puppy into his arm, Noah and Ella running over and clapping him as he licked Toby’s face, Toby giggling at the feeling. “You is named Rolo,” Toby said. “Rolo.”

“Ah you picked a fine name kids.” Bruce smiled down at them, all of them grinning at the dog.

“Rolo’s is Noah’s favourite chocolate,” Ella told him. “He will like Rolo’s too cos him name is Rolo.”

“I don’t think we’ll be feeding the pup human chocolate.” Brax said as he pulled the cheque from his pocket and handed it to Bruce.

Ella frowned before looking down too see a puppy pulling at the bottom of her school dress. “How did he get out?” Ella giggled as she bent down to clap him.

“Ah he is our little Houdini,” Bruce shook his head as he lifted the pup into his arms. “Good luck to the couple who are getting him.” Bruce laughed as he put the dog back into the enclosure with his brothers and sisters.

“Well Rolo here seems nice and calm.” Charlie smiled as she patted the dog who was still in Toby’s arms.

“Mummy he is getting heavy,” Toby said. “I gonna drop him.”

Charlie took the puppy in her arms and Toby breathed out almost in relief. “You’ve got the pup with the best nature for sure,” Bruce patted the puppy’s head a few times before looking down to the kids. “Well you lot look after him, alright. No leaving mummy and daddy to do all the work eh?” Bruce said as they started walking out of the barn to the car.

“No we’ll always look after him the best,” Noah answered. “He’s our puppy forever.” Noah said before he climbed into the car with Toby and Ella following. Charlie and Brax thanked Bruce before they too got into the car to drive home with their new puppy.

Bianca wiped her hand over her mouth before she flushed the toilet. She’d been really sick all week and hoped that today she would feel better. Today was an important day for the Braxton household as it was the day the adoption agency lady was coming to see them. “You still sick?” Heath walked into the bathroom, hearing Bianca vomiting again.

“Evidently.” Bianca spoke quietly before once again vomiting.

“I brought you some water,” Heath walked closer to her and handed her the bottle of water. Bianca took the bottle from him and started to sip the water as she leaned herself against the bathroom wall. “Do you want me to phone the agency and cancel?” Heath questioned. “I’m sure if we told them the circumstances they’d understand.”

“It’s too late to cancel,” Bianca looked at her watch. “She’ll already be on her way.”

“Mummy, daddy,” Katie ran into the bathroom. “There is a lady at the door.” Katie pointed out of the bathroom.

Bianca flushed the toilet again before she stood up and left the bathroom, walking to the front door to see the woman standing there, the door already open. “Do you normally leave your 4 year old to answer the door?” The lady asked.

“No sorry,” Bianca cleared her throat. “I was being sick and my husband just came through to check on me.”

“Mummy is having a Katie 2 yellow.” Katie said and the lady screwed her face up, confused.

“I’m pregnant,” Bianca told her. “Katie 2 yellow is her choice of name.” Bianca said as she put her hand onto Katie’s shoulder and the lady laughed.

“Well congratulations,” The lady smiled. “And Katelyn, Katie 2 yellow is a very interesting choice.”

“Yes cos I is Katie 1,” Katie held up one finger. “No Katelyn, just me is Katie.” Katie hit her hand on her chest.

“I see,” The lady nodded. “Well Katie I am Davina and I am going to come with you when you go out with mummy today. How does that sound?” Davina asked and Katie screwed her face up before looking to Bianca.

“Why mummy?” Katie asked.

“Well she just wants to see how much fun we have together hmm.” Bianca bent down to Katie’s level, putting her hand over her mouth as she felt bile rising in her throat. She swallowed before taking a drink of her water.

“All them times,” Katie nodded. “Pesially the beach,” Katie widened her eyes before looking to Davina. “We make 10 hundred sandcastles.” Katie held all her fingers up.

“Wow,” Davina smiled down at her. “That sounds like fun.”

“Yeah it’s lots,” Katie told her. “We go the beach today?” Katie asked.

“Of course we can,” Bianca answered. “You want to go get your beach toys?” Bianca asked and Katie nodded before running into her bedroom. Bianca took a deep breath before taking another drink of her water.

“Difficult pregnancy?” Davina asked.

“Pretty sick right now amongst other things.” Bianca exhaled sadly as her hand went onto her stomach, her lost child springing into her mind.

“It’s worth it though, right?” Davina gave a little smile as she looked round the house, her eyes settling on a picture of Rocco that was on the cabinet. “You have a son?”

“Had a son,” Bianca exhaled. “He died at 7 months,” Bianca told her, glancing at the picture of him. “He’d be nearly 6 now.”

“I’m sorry.” Davina replied as Katie came running back though her bucket with her spade and various other beach toys in her hands.

“Ready.” Katie jumped excitedly before taking Bianca’s hand as the 3 of them left to spend the day at the beach, Bianca’s heart beating faster, worried and nervous for how the day would go.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Red Ranger 1, Sarah, Zoe and beebee for the comments. :)

Eighty-two

Charlie closed the tabs on the nappy before lifting the baby up, rubbing her back as she snuggled into her. She placed a soft kiss on her temple as she looked down to see Katie taking the nappy bag with the dirty nappy in it over to the nappy bin. “You are a good helper.” Charlie said and Katie grinned as she skipped back over to her auntie.

“Auntie Charlie when is mummy coming home?” Katie questioned.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she walked out of the nursery with Katie following behind her. “I don’t know pumpkin,” Charlie answered. She may as well be honest with the girl, making stuff up and saying she’d be home soon when she didn’t know if that was the case wouldn’t help. Bianca had been gone for nearly week now and no one knew where she was let alone when she was coming back. Charlie placed the baby down on the play mat and Katie sat down next to her, knocking the flower rattle, smiling as Freya watched intently, cooing a little. Charlie walked into the kitchen and started to make up a bottle for Freya.

“Hey.” Heath walked into the house from doing the lunch shift at the restaurant.

“Daddy.” Katie ran into the kitchen, jumping up into his arms. Heath wrapped his arms around her in a hug before kissing her temple.

“Hey pumpkin,” Heath said as he put her onto the floor. “I hope you behaved for Charlie today.”

“Yeah I help with Freya.” Katie ran back through and sat back down next to her baby sister, gently rubbing her bald head with her hand, Freya’s big green eyes looking up at her, Freya the double of her mother.

“That’s my girl,” Heath ruffled Katie’s hair before lifting Freya into his arms. “And how’s my other little princess,” Heath cooed as he held Freya close to him. “You been good for Auntie Charlie too?”

“Little angel,” Charlie smiled as she shook the bottle of formula before handing it to Heath. He put it into Freya’s mouth and she immediately took her milk. “How was work?”

“Good,” Heath nodded. “Unusually busy for a Tuesday afternoon.”

“We are not going to complain about that though are we,” Charlie yawned as she rubbed her forehead. “Busy is good for us.”

“Yeah,” Heath answered as he looked Charlie up and down. She looked exhausted. “You want me to go back to do the dinner shift too?” Heath questioned. “April should be back from placement soon so she can watch the girls. Let you get home to see your kids and rest.”

“No, I need to go to work,” Charlie told him. “And you need to spend time with your girls.”

“You shouldn’t be working now, Charlie.” Heath sighed. “You should be on maternity leave. You only have 4 weeks to go.”

“I need to work,” Charlie told him. “We can’t afford for me not to right now,” Charlie exhaled as she ran her hand over her very pregnant stomach. “And somewhere in this world I bet mothers work till the day the baby is born and probably go back to work a few days later with the kid strapped to their backs.” Charlie exhaled.

“You’re entitled to maternity leave here, Charlie,” Heath told her. “Henry and I can look after the restaurant for you.”

“I’d rather be there,” Charlie answered. “Besides, Katie has a whole night planned for you to and there’s no way I could possibly ruin that.”

“Oh yeah,” Heath smiled as he looked down to his daughter. “What you want to do?”

“We is gonna watch Cinderella and have popcorn and cuddles and uhm....can we phone mummy?” Katie questioned. Phoning mummy was always a daily request but Bianca never answered her phone.

Heath pursed his lips together. “I don’t think she’ll answer.”

“She’s too busy.” Katie pouted sadly before running to her bedroom.

Heath sighed as he looked to Freya who was still taking her milk. “She’ll come home, Heath.”

“Well she won’t be welcome.” Heath spoke with anger in his tone.

“Heath -” Charlie started to talk but Heath cut her off.

“No Charlie,” Heath raised his voice a little. “Don’t start defending her again. She left. She walked out on me and the girls and before that she tried to kill our baby. She caused that crash on purpose. That same crash in which your son broke his leg and caused Brax’s -”

“She’s ill, Heath,” Charlie exhaled. “Postnatal depression makes you do things that you can’t control. I don’t blame Bianca for anything that happened. Blaming her won’t change anything. I just want her to get help and come home to her family.”

“Well she doesn’t have a family to come home too,” Heath replied. “Now if you excuse me I need to go see to my daughter.” Heath said before walking through to Katie’s bedroom.

Charlie yawned as she walked back into her house. Rolo ran over to her yelping in excitement that she was home. She walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch exhaling in relief at being off her feet. She put one hand onto her stomach, rubbing it as she felt the baby kicking, while her other went down to pat Rolo, his head resting against her leg. Rolo although he loved everyone, had a special liking to Charlie. Charlie could ask that puppy to do anything and he would do it. “I thought I heard you coming in,” Ruby walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch next to her mother. “You look exhausted.”

“I don’t just look it,” Charlie spoke through a yawn. “How were the kids?”

“Their usual selves,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “They were good, although Toby gave his veggies to Rolo again.” Ruby told her.

“And he thinks we don’t notice,” Charlie shook her head. “Maybe Rolo will have to be out of the kitchen at dinner time.”

“Yeah.” Ruby agreed.

“So how was he?” Charlie asked, looking Ruby in the eye.

“Quiet,” Ruby answered as Charlie rolled her wedding rings around her fingers. They’d been back on for a few months now, Ella of course insisting on a party with cupcakes to be thrown to mark the occasion. “He ate dinner with us but then went back to his room.”

“That’s all he wants to do,” Charlie clicked her tongue. “He just sits there you know, he...” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“It’ll get easier,” Ruby told her. “Being in a car crash must be pretty traumatic. Especially one like that one. People got really hurt and well Brax -” Ruby was cut off as Toby came walking into the room.

“Mummy,” Toby climbed up onto the couch. “I can’t sleep.”

“You can’t?” Charlie questioned, wrapping her arm around him as he cuddled into her, his head against her bump.

“No,” Toby told her. “I need gummy worms.”

“I don’t think so,” Charlie managed a little laugh. “How about a hot chocolate with marshmallows?” Charlie said, running her hand through his curly locks.

“Yeah.” Toby grinned excitedly.

“Okay, well you go back up the stairs and mummy will bring it up for you, hmmm.” Charlie said and Toby nodded as he jumped down from the couch and ran off back up the stairs. Charlie went to stand up but Ruby stopped her as she stood up herself.

“I’ll make it,” Ruby said as she put her hand onto her mother’s arm. “Why don’t you just go to bed? You need it.” Ruby rubbed her arm as she spoke.

Charlie gave her daughter a thankful smile before she held hands out and Ruby helped her up to standing. “Night,” Charlie said as Rolo walked with Charlie to the bottom of the stairs. “You go to bed to buddy,” Charlie smiled down at him before he walked off to his bed that was in the living room. Charlie slowly walked up the stairs and stopped outside the nursery. She walked into the room and put the light on, looking around the room. They didn’t know the sex of the baby so the room was painted yellow and white with little cartoon monkeys on the border and a monkey mobile hanging above the cot. She walked over to the cot and ran her hand over the bed sheet, it to having a monkey on it, before she picked up and white and yellow stripy baby grow that had been left hanging over the side of the cot. It saddened her when she thought about Brax and that he would never be able to see his child. She took a deep breath before putting the baby grow back in its place and walking out of the nursery and into the bedroom to get herself ready for bed.

Thanks for the comments Sarah, Red Ranger 1, Spotd1, beebee, Freakie42, Zoe and CharlieAndBraxLover. Sorry if I confused you with the time jump beebee. Just felt it needed to be moved on a little. It's skipped around 7 months.

Eighty-three

Charlie put the plate of pancakes down on the table and immediately three little hands reached out for them. Ruby brought over the bowl of fruit and syrup to eat with them and the kids once again used their hands and started grabbing at the strawberries, banana and pieces of orange. “Will daddy have breakfast today?” Noah asked sitting sideways on the chair as his broken leg was resting on the one next to him.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked towards the kitchen door. “I don’t know sweetheart,” Charlie answered. “I don’t think so. He’s still in bed right now.”

“Daddy always stays in bed now,” Ella pouted sadly. “Does he not like us anymore?”

“Of course he does,” Charlie walked over to her daughter and ruffled her hair as she bent down the best she could, but her very pregnant stomach got in the way. “Daddy’s just finding things a little hard after the crash.”

“Noah broked his leg,” Toby pointed to his brothers cast. “I drawed on it.” Toby giggled. Toby very much enjoying getting to draw on his brothers cast.

“Daddy’s broken too,” Noah said. “I miss him. Maybe he’ll come down for pancakes though.” Noah spoke hopefully and Charlie exchanged a glance with Ruby.

“I’ll go talk to him, hmm,” Charlie put her hands on the table and pushed herself back to standing before she waddled out of the kitchen and slowly made her way up the stairs. She took a deep breath before walking into her bedroom, seeing Brax sitting up in the bed, his eyes closed. “Brax,” Charlie spoke softly as she walked across the room and sat down next to him, placing her arm on top of his. “The kids want you to come down for breakfast,” Charlie said. “Ruby made pancakes. You know how awesome they are.”

“I’m not hungry.” Brax answered, his eyes opening and Brax looking out at nothing.

“You’ve hardly ate since the crash,” Charlie answered. “C’mon, Brax you have a family who love you and are here for you,” Charlie rubbed his arm. “We have the baby coming soon.”

“A baby I am never going to see,” Brax pursed his lips together, like he was trying to stop himself from crying. “I’m blind, Charlie, I....” Brax paused. “I have your face locked in my mind. Ruby, Ella, Noah and Tobes. I can remember what they look like but this baby, I’m never going to know. I....I....” Brax stopped talking as he bowed his head down, running his hand over his eyes. “I hate this, Charlie. I hate it.” Brax gently started to rock his body back and forth.

“I know,” Charlie took a tighter grip of him. “But I’m here for you. Please don’t push me away. I love you so much and I’m not going anywhere. Hmmm, we can do this, right?” It had been 6 days since the crash. 6 days since Brax found out he was now blind. 6 long hard days of darkness for Brax, of what his life would be from now on.

“I miss your smile,” Brax said. “I miss the kids’ smiles. Their cute little faces lighting up when they get excited over something. Toby...” Brax stifled a laugh. “Toby has the cheekiest little grin ever and I’m never going to see it ever again.”

Charlie felt a tear rolling down her cheek. “You can hear him. You can hear his cheeky little laugh, the twins’ happy little voices. I can’t imagine how hard this must be for you but you I’m always going to be here, I promise you,” Brax gave a little nod as he sniffed back. “Let’s go get these pancakes before the kids eat them all huh?” Charlie rubbed his arm and Brax nodded before they stood up from the bed, Brax grabbing Charlie’s arm causing her to spin around to face him. He wrapped his arms around her and rested his head on her shoulder. Charlie exhaled as she wrapped her arms around him and held him in the embrace.

April walked into the house, throwing her bag down on the kitchen table. The thumping sound startled Freya and caused an ear piercing scream to be heard in the house. “April,” Heath sighed as he picked his daughter up, rocking her gently in his arms. “I’d just got her down.”

“Sorry.” April walked through the house, ruffling Katie’s hair as she hugged her auntie.

“You’ll need to take over,” Heath put a crying Freya into April’s arms. “I’ve been called in to work.”

“But its Wednesday,” April looked uncomfortable holding Freya, the baby being at some distance from her body. April always helped out but mostly she’d offer to help with Katie always keeping her distance from Freya whenever possible. “You don’t work on Wednesdays.”

“Someone called in sick so I need to work.” Heath said.

“Well I’m meeting Rubes,” April sighed as Freya’s screams only seemed to increase. “So you’ll have to get someone else.”

“Please April, they are your nieces,” Heath clasped his hands together like he was praying. “Invite Rubes around to help. Please do this for me, April.”

“I don’t really have a choice, do I?” April sighed. “You want me to try to call Bianca as well?” April gently rocked Freya, her cries calming a little.

“No I wouldn’t care for that,” Heath spoke quietly, breaking eye contact with April. “Thanks for this,” Heath gave her a smile before walking off to get ready for work. April exhaled as she looked down to Freya, the girl still crying a little. She walked over to the moses basket and lay her down, Katie running over to her.

“She’s still crying.” Katie peaked her head into the moses basket.

“I know,” April answered looking down at Katie. She didn’t have a problem looking after Katie. It was Freya she always kept her distance from. “So what do you want to do tonight then?”

“Uhm, we can bake,” Katie jumped in the air at her suggestion. “Hello Kitty cupcakes.”

“Ah yeah that would be cool huh?” April questioned and Katie gave a little nod. “How about dinner at the diner first?” April asked. “With Rubes, you like Rubes, right?”

“Oh yeah,” Katie nodded. “And Freya be there?”

“Of course,” April pursed her lips together looking down to Freya, her crying now stopping. “Freya’s coming too.” April mumbled, her hand brushing over her stomach.

Charlie, Ella and Toby came back to the house from taking Rolo for a walk. “Mummy I won 5 games.” Noah held up one of his hands, his fingers and thumb widespread. Snakes and ladders was still very much a favourite game of the twins.

“Ah wow,” Charlie walked over to Noah and ruffled his hair before leaning down and kissing his head as Ella and Toby teased Rolo with his toys. “You should let her win one game buddy,” Charlie told her son. “You don’t want her being all sad do you?”

“Yeah.” Noah gave a little giggle.

“We’ve also been talking baby names,” Ruby told her mother. “My girl’s suggestion is still Jessica but for a boy I like Sebastian,” Ruby smiled. “In fact no, you can’t take that name because I like it too much.” Ruby said and Charlie gave a little laugh as they heard a bang in the hallway before Brax’s mutters could be heard. Ella looked up and ran through to the hall as Charlie waddled behind her.

“You alright?” Charlie asked as Ella was taking his hand, walking through with him to the living room.

“Walked into the stupid telephone table,” Brax sighed. “Went to much left to get the door.”

“You’ll figure it out soon.” Charlie exhaled as she walked with them over to the couch, Brax sitting down and Ella climbing onto his knee, Brax hugging his arms around her.

“Daddy we is talking baby names,” Noah said from the chair. Toby ran over and climbed up onto the couch, leaning himself against his mother. “I still want Thomas.”

“It’s gonna be a girl,” Ella sighed. “So Olivia is her name and if not I like Jessica like Ruby.”Ella said, her fingertips gently running over Brax’s arm.

“What if it is a boy?” Charlie questioned. “We can’t call a son Jessica or Olivia.”

“Well then Niall,” Ella sighed. “Or Harry, Louis, Liam or Zayn.”

“No not stupid One Direction,” Noah sighed, hating his sister’s choices. “Thomas and if it must be a girl then....” Noah scratched the side of his head. “Julia.”

“No,” Toby shrieked. “Minnie Mouse or Donald Duck.”

Everyone laughed at Toby’s suggestions. Charlie looked to Brax and saw that he even managed a laugh. “Them are cartoon names, Toby,” Ella told her little brother. “Not for a baby.”

“I like ‘em,” Toby said, his hand running in circles over Charlie’s bump. “Or Spideyman.”

“Spideyman Braxton,” Ruby laughed. “Think you’ve got your name.” Ruby looked at Charlie with a grin. Charlie laughed a little before looking to her husband once again. He looked sad, and of course he had rights to be. He was now trapped in this dark world and right in this moment they were talking about naming a child he was never going to be able to see. And although she told Heath that she didn’t blame Bianca for this, a part of her actually did. Postnatal depression or not, it was Bianca who caused that crash and it was that crash that caused her husband to go blind. She pursed her lips together of course wanting Bianca to come home for her girls but she wasn’t sure what would happen between the two of them once she did return.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Eighty-four

Ruby walked into the diner, smiling as she saw April waiting on her. “Hey Sweets,” Ruby kissed her cheek before sitting down opposite her smiling as Katie waved at her. “Pumpkin.” Ruby smiled.

“Hi Ruby,” Katie said. “Freya is here, she is see,” Katie banged her hand against the pram that was next to her. “She’s my sister.” Katie felt the need to keep telling everyone this even though Freya was nearly a month old.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered looking to the pram. “Didn’t know you were joining us for dinner.” Ruby said before looking to April.

“Sorry. Heath had to go in to work.” April exhaled.

“It’s fine,” Ruby answered. “We have fun, don’t we Katie?” Ruby said looking to the girl who was nodding in reply. “So what you got planned for us once we get back to the house?”

“We gonna bake,” Katie told her. “Hello Kitty cupcakes.”

“Ah they are my favourite of all the cupcakes,” Ruby gasped and Katie grinned. “So, how was placement today?”Ruby questioned, looking back to her girlfriend. April had recently started a 6 month placement at the hospital as part of her uni course.

“Fine, not much really went on,” April exhaled. “How about uni?”

“Okay,” Ruby answered. “We got an assignment in one class to write a song,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “It can be about love, friendship, heartbreak....most anything really.”

April laughed a little. “What you going to write about?”

“I think I am going to write about this chick who broke my heart and left for Cairns.” Ruby gave a cheeky grin.

“I don’t think this chick you speak of would ever do such a thing. I’m sure you would have been the one who broke her heart so she had to leave. It was the only way she’d ever think about trying to begin to get over you.” April said and Ruby pursed her lips together before raising her eyebrows.

“Maybe it was a mutual thing.” Ruby said just as Colleen walked over to the table.

“Oh you two are out together,” Colleen squawked in surprise. “I didn’t think you two would still be....you know....in one of those relationships.”

“And why wouldn’t we be?” Ruby asked, staring up at Colleen as she stared from her to April.

“Well eh you know with what her sister did to poor Darryl. You’re stepfather.” Colleen said her glance fixing on April.

“And what does that have to do with April?” Ruby questioned. “Bianca is sick. Yeah what she did was wrong but it was in no way a fault of April’s,” Ruby looked to April who had bowed her head down, her lips pursed together sadly. “And to be frank Bianca wasn’t in the right frame of mind either. Do you think she would purposely harm Brax, Noah, Freya or any stranger?”

“Well eh...no,” Colleen answered quietly. “I’ll give you more time.” Colleen said before scurrying off.

“Babe ignore her.” Ruby leaned forward and rubbed April’s hand.

“Is she right?” April asked. “Should you stay with me after what my sister did to Brax?”

“Of course,” Ruby exhaled. “I love you so much and nothing will change that. And both Brax and my mum don’t have a problem with me being you with before you say anything,” Ruby adding, knowing April would most likely say something like that next. “Now, I am starving so I hope you brought plenty money,” Ruby gave her a cheeky grin. “Me and Katie are going to treat ourselves since you’ve offered to pay, isn’t that right, Katie?” Ruby looked to Katie who was vigorously nodding her head as she had a grin on her face. Ruby looked to April and they both laughed a little before looking at the menu to see what they wanted to order.

Charlie walked back down the stairs as Toby thumped down behind her. The twins were getting ready for bed and Charlie had bathed Toby. Brax was sitting in the living room, Rolo leaning his head against his leg as he clapped him. When Rolo saw Charlie he gave a yelp of excitement before running over to her jumping up and putting his front paws on her legs, his tail wagging. “Down boy,” Charlie patted the pup before pushing him from her. He danced about at her feet as she walked over to the couch and stood before Brax. “I thought you’d have the footie on.”

Brax sniggered. “Can’t see anything can I?”

“You can listen.” Charlie told him and once again Brax sniggered as Toby climbed up onto the couch and crawled onto his knee. Brax rubbed Toby’s back as he cuddled into him.

“No thanks.” Brax sighed.

“I watch it mummy.” Toby grinned up at her, Toby giving her that cheeky grin Brax talked about that very morning.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s your bedtime so you say goodnight to daddy like we came down to do.”

Toby frowned before putting his hands onto Brax’s cheeks and squeezing them a little. He kissed is lips a few times. “Night daddy.” Toby said.

“Goodnight buddy,” Brax smiled as he kissed his son before Toby jumped down from his knee. “Sleep tight.”

“Daddy you read me my story?” Toby questioned.

“I can’t,” Brax answered. “Sorry buddy. I can’t do that anymore.”

Toby pouted sadly. At almost 4 years old, he didn’t quite understand Brax’s blindness and what he couldn’t do anymore. “Please. I’d be’d good an eated my veggies.” Toby screwed his face up at the thought.

“I can’t Toby.” Brax shouted loudly and Toby jumped in fright before he started to cry. He ran over to Charlie and cuddled against her, Charlie rubbing his back.

“Daddy didn’t mean to shout,” Charlie rubbed her son’s back, soothing him. “But you need to remember his eyes are broken now so he can’t see anything to be able to read to you.”

“I forgets.” Toby spoke through tears. Charlie pulled him back from her and wiped her hands over his eyes.

“You go up the stairs and pick a book out and mummy will be up shortly, okay?” Charlie rubbed his cheek and Toby nodded before he ran out of the room. “Brax’s he’s -”

“Save it,” Brax interrupted. “You have no idea so don’t give me anymore bull crap.” Brax sounded angry as he spoke. Charlie pursed her lips together and went to leave the room, but stopped when Noah and Ella came running into the room, dressed for bed, Noah holding the snakes and ladders game in his hands.

“Will you play daddy?” Noah asked. “Snakes and ladders.”

“I can’t play games.” Brax sounded frustrated, one hand forming into a fist as the other rubbed over it.

“You could,” Ella nodded her head. “You can roll them dice and we can tell you the numbers and move you.” Ella said. “Please play daddy.”

“No.” Brax shouted before he stood up from the couch, taking a second to get his bearings before walking out of the room, his hands running against the wall so he could find the stairs. Charlie watched him to make sure he made it there safely before looking back to the kids who were both standing there their heads bowed down with sad pouts on their faces.

“Mummy will play,” Charlie gave them the best smile she could manage. “I just need to go read Toby a story then I’ll come and play with you till bedtime, okay?”

“You be orange?” Noah questioned and Charlie gave a little nod.

“You guys play a game just now and I’ll down soon.” Charlie said and Ella managed a weak smile before taking the game from her brother’s hand and beginning to set it up. Charlie exhaled as she walked out of the living room and made her way up the stairs, seeing Brax taking the final few steps to reach the hallway. She continued walking up the stairs, watching as he once again used the wall to find his way down the hall and into their bedroom, the door slamming shut. She pursed her lips together before walking down to Toby’s room, seeing him waiting patiently in his bed with a book in his hand, ready for his bedtime story.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Eighty-five

April cancelled the call as it went to voicemail before looking up to Ruby, sighing lightly. “She’ll call when she is ready,” Ruby told her. “This will only push her away more.”

“Maybe,” April gave a little shrug. “Ah she should be here for Freya,” April exhaled. “It’s not right that she’s been given to me,” April said, quickly glancing at the moses basket before looking back to her girlfriend. “I just....I don’t need this, Rubes,” April pursed her lips together, feeling emotional all of a sudden. Ruby put her hand onto her arm as she watched April’s hand gently brushing over her stomach. “She just....she reminds me of what I could have had,” April spoke quietly. “I....within the next couple of weeks I to could have had a baby and....” April trailed off.

“It’s alright to feel upset,” Ruby told her, continuing to rub her arm. “And maybe you don’t have a baby of your own right now but you do have a gorgeous little niece, who you get to love and spoil.”

“Yeah,” April gave a weak smile. “And as much as I like the idea of a baby, I know having Pete’s would have been hard no matter how much support I had.”

“It would have,” Ruby said. “And you know, we are only 22,” Ruby told her. “Babies can come later. We’re young and should be having fun finishing uni and starting out new jobs, thinking about getting a place of our own...” Ruby trailed off.

“You want us to live together?” April looked up at her, a little surprised, but she would actually be open to the idea.

“I’ve been thinking about it,” Ruby replied. “But then the accident happened and mum’s due to burst soon and already has 3 kids to look after without adding the new baby and now Brax is blind I kinda think I need to stay and help out my mum more.”

“That’s probably wise.” April said.

“At least until they settle into this life they’ll have now,” Ruby exhaled. “One day I am going to move in with my gorgeous girl and have a family.” Ruby smiled as she rubbed April’s cheek.

“I can’t wait,” April smiled before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. Ruby smiled into the kiss before they both let it deepen, April leaning over Ruby as she lay down on the couch, their tongues crashing into each other’s mouths. Ruby moaned as she ran her hands up April’s back, the kiss only getting more passionate. Just as April’s hand slid up Ruby’s leg, under her skirt to her thigh, Freya’s cries could be heard. Both girls sighed a little before getting up from the couch.

“She’ll need a bottle made,” April exhaled. “I’ll go get it ready if you try to sooth her for now.” April said, Ruby noticing she quickly got herself out of having contact with the baby.

“Sure.” Ruby answered, picking Freya up into her arms and gently rocking her as April made up a bottle for her.

Charlie squeezed the bottle of hand cream onto her hand before putting the bottle onto her bedside table and rubbing it into her hands. Brax exhaled as he got himself comfy. “You’re mad at me.” Brax said.

“What makes you think that?” Charlie asked.

“I can sense it.” Brax replied. Charlie looked around to him, her lips pursed together.

“I didn’t like you yelling at the kids,” Charlie told him. “You need to yell at someone about this, you yell at me,” Charlie said. “You need to shout out in frustration you do that to me but you do not yell at the kids, do you understand?”

Brax bowed his head down. Of course he didn’t like the way he’d spoken to the kids, but he couldn’t help it. He was just so frustrated at what his life had now become. “I didn’t mean to but they were asking me to do things I couldn’t.”

“You can, Brax,” Charlie exhaled. “Okay so it might have to be a little bit different but instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself you can start living the best life you can have,” Charlie told him. “You can’t read the kids a story from their books anymore then make one up,” Charlie said. “Roll the dice then let the twins do the rest for you if they want to play snakes and ladders,” Charlie moved a little closer to him in the bed. “Don’t let this beat you,” Charlie gently ran her hand over his cheek. “You can still do a lot of what you loved to do.”

“I know,” Brax pursed his lips together. “And I really am sorry for shouting at the kids. I’ll make it up to them. I know this is hard on them too.”

“And I can’t begin to imagine how hard it is for you. You had your eyesight for 34 years and now for it to be gone, I....” Charlie rubbed his arm, before she entwined their hands together. “I just want you to keep your down feelings away from the kids.”

“I promise.” Brax turned his head around to face Charlie. Charlie saw Brax’s lips starting to pout, like he was going to kiss her so she leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“I love you so much.” Charlie said as she pulled back, once again her hand rubbing over his cheek.

“I love you too,” Brax said as he put his hand onto her bump. “And I’ll try my best to be a father to this child,” Brax said, rubbing her bump. “I really will.”

“You’ll be just as amazing as you are with the ones we already have.” Charlie smiled as the baby started to kick at Brax’s touch.

“Do you like daddy rubbing mummy’s tummy?” Brax said.

“I’m sure he does but right now you’re hand is heading a little more too where the baby is going to come out.” Charlie laughed.

“Sorry.” Brax said, taking his hand away.

“You don’t need to be sorry,” Charlie replied. “In fact if you wanted too....” Charlie raised her eyebrows before placing a soft kiss on Brax’s lips.

“We can’t.” Brax pulled back, he head shaking a little.

“And why not?” Charlie asked.

“Well there is me for a start.” Brax sighed.

“You lost your eyesight Brax, not your penis,” Charlie said and Brax stifled a laugh. “You think I wouldn’t want to have sex with you anymore?”

Brax shrugged a little. “You want to have sex with a blind man?”

“I want to have sex with my husband.” Charlie answered.

Brax smiled a little. “You’re in the last month of your pregnancy so I didn’t think you’d want to either,” Brax said. “With the twins and Tobes I was scared to even touch you by that point.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “I had horrible pregnancies with Tobes and the twins. The twins especially,” Charlie exhaled. “But apart from a couple of weeks at the beginning and an obvious bump I wouldn’t really know I was pregnant this time round. I feel great. Now I finally understand the whole glowing in pregnancy thing.”

“So you want to?” Brax asked and Charlie nodded. “Charlie?” Brax questioned after his question was met with silence.

“Sorry,” Charlie answered, remembering he wouldn’t now see her nodding her head, there was a lot for her to get used to too. “Yes, I’d love to.” Charlie answered and Brax grinned before they met in a passionate kiss.

Thanks for the comments.

Eighty-six

“Daddy,” Toby ran through the house to the couch where Brax was sitting. The TV was on, quietly, Brax listening to coverage of the footie game that was on the night before. “See this picture I did at Kindy.” Toby climbed up onto the couch and sat as close to Brax as he could get without actually sitting on his knee.

Charlie stood in the doorway, Rolo running over to great her. She bent down and clapped the pup as she waited to see how Brax would handle it this time. “I can’t see it buddy,” Brax wrapped his arm around his son. “You’ll need to tell me,” Brax said, Charlie hearing the sadness in his tone. “Can tell me about the picture?”

“Well it’s got green on for the grass,” Toby said, pointing to the grass on his picture. “Then a yellow ball in the sky cos it’s summer,” Toby said, pointing to his sun. “I drawed me too,” Toby said. “And a baby for my baby brother.”

“Ah it’s sounds fantastic,” Brax rubbed his sons back. “Will mummy put it on the fridge?”

“Uh-uh. She said dat,” Toby nodded. “Daddy will you come?”

“Come where?” Brax asked.

“To put it on the fridge.” Toby sighed as he jumped down from the couch and ran off out of the room to the kitchen.

“Of course I’ll come buddy,” Brax answered as he stood up. “You’ll need to help daddy though, okay?” Brax questioned.

“He’s already gone.” Charlie used the doorframe to pull herself up. She walked over to Brax and took his hand and walked him though to the kitchen. Seeing Toby reaching up, trying to reach a fridge magnet.

“Get my name mummy.” Toby jumped up, still not able to get the coloured letter magnet.

Charlie pulled off a T an O a B and a Y and put them in Brax’s hands. She took the picture from Toby and held it against the fridge as Brax felt for the right letter with his hand, putting them back on the fridge when he got the right one. “How does it look?” Brax questioned.

“Good.” Toby screeched as he did a little jump.

“We need to take Rolo for a walk,” Charlie said looking down to Toby. “You go get a ball to throw for him and get Rolo to come to the door for walkies.” Charlie said and Toby gave a little nod at his instructions before running off out of the room.

Charlie smiled as she wrapped her arms around her husband. “You want to come?”Charlie questioned.

“Uhm...” Brax pursed his lips together. “I don’t want to be a nuisance.” Brax answered.

“You won’t be a nuisance,” Charlie told him. “We’d love you to come with us and it’ll get you out of the house,” Charlie exhaled. Brax hadn’t left the house yet in the week that he’d now been blind for. “Get some fresh air, throw the ball for Rolo, spend some time with Tobes.” Charlie said before running her hand over his hair.

“Yeah,” Brax gave a little smile. “I’ll come.”

Charlie smiled as she let go of Brax and they walked over to the door where Toby was waiting with an excited Rolo, Rolo knowing it was walk time. “I got two,” Toby said, holding a red ball in one hand and a rope toy in his other. “Rolo said he need both.”

Brax gave a little laugh as Charlie looked down to her son. “Rolo said that, did he?” Charlie questioned and Toby nodded.

“Uh huh.” Toby answered.

“Well we must take what Rolo wants, huh.” Charlie ruffled Toby’s hair before she grabbed the pups lead from the hanger, just in case they needed it. She put it round the back of her neck so it hung down from broth shoulders before she opened the door, Rolo and Toby bolting outside and down the driveway, both of them waiting at the end of the gate for Charlie and Brax. Charlie took Brax’s hand in hers before they walked down the driveway together for their walk.

Ruby strummed on her guitar as she sang what she’d written of the song over in the head again. She shook her head and scored out a few words from her notepad before scribbling down different words, smiling as she sang them instead. She picked up her smoothie and took a drink, before looking up as she saw April walking into her bedroom. “Hey,” April placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. “You’re mum let me up.” April said as she sat down on the bed, glancing down to the notepad before looking up to Ruby, a cheeky grin forming on her face. “This my song?” April questioned, the cheeky grin only growing.

Ruby looked down to the notepad, a smile forming on her face before covering the notepad with her guitar. “Might be, but it’s not done yet.” Ruby told her.

“I wanna see.” April tried to get the notepad but Ruby batted her hand away.

“Be patient sweets,” Ruby said. “Maybe I’ll serenade you with it later,” Ruby gave a seductive smile and April grinned before leaning forward and they shared a kiss. April moved her hand as the kiss deepened before she pulled back.

“Ah ha.” April said as Ruby noticed she now had the notepad in her hand.

“April.” Ruby screeched as April ran to the other side of the room and held hand out in front of her, as if telling Ruby to stop. April read what was written as Ruby shook her head at her.

Chorus - So lay here beside me just hold me and don't let go

This feelin' I'm feelin' is somethin' I've never known

And I just can't take my eyes off you

And I just can't take my eyes off you

(Verse)

I love when you tell me that I'm pretty when I just wake up

And I love how you tease me when I'm moody but it's never too much

I'm falling fast but the truth is I'm not scared at all

You climbed my walls

(Chorus)

“Babe,” April gasped as she looked back up to her. “This is great. What’s the music like with it?” April looked to the notepad again and saw some letters and numbers. “Baby make it makes sense.” April said as she looked back to her girlfriend.

“Ah the big Doctor can’t understand simple sheet music.” Ruby laughed mockingly before walking over to her guitar and picking it up as she sat back down on her bed, she played the song as she sang, April feeling her heart melting at hearing her girlfriend sing a song she’d written about her.

“Have you ever thought about being an artist?” April asked. “You are super talented. You could so be the top of the charts.”

Ruby laughed. “I’m not that good.”

“Don’t be modest,” April sat back down next to her, putting the notepad back down on the bed. “You can sing, write, play guitar, piano.....I’d call that talented.”

“I’d prefer to teach it, I think,” Ruby answered. “Writing songs for someone might be pretty cool but I want a job where I can come home to my gorgeous girl at the end of the day and still see my parents and brothers and sister most every day. Being a recording artist might get me heaps of money but I wouldn’t like the constant travel and media interest and all that,” Ruby said. “I mean would you like it if I was always off around the world and we only got days together here and there?” Ruby questioned as April shook her head.

“Uh-uh,” April answered. “Not at all. I want you right here with me.” April said before once again they shared a kiss.

Thanks for the comments.

Eighty-seven

Ruby yawned as she walked into the kitchen, surprised to see Charlie sitting at the table eating a tub of ice-cream. “Hey,” Ruby walked over to the drawer and took out a spoon before walking over to join her mother. “Came down for water but this looks better.” Ruby laughed as she took a seat next to her.

“What’s got you up?” Charlie questioned.

“I’ve got a pain in my side.” Ruby answered, putting her spoon into the tub and taking some ice-cream.

“Oh,” Charlie widened her eyes. “Should we be worried?” Charlie questioned. Normally this wouldn’t bother her to much, but given Ruby had kidney problems plus diabetes it was a little more alarming to hear.

Ruby shook her head. “Nah I’m fine,” Ruby said. “And April is talking in her sleep.” Ruby sighed, taking more ice-cream.

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Does she always do that?”

“Only when she is finding things hard. It’s like she shouts out her problems in her sleep,” Ruby told her mother and seeing the questioning look on Charlie’s face she decided to talk again. “She’s just finding it difficult to be around Freya. You know she’d be due soon if she kept the baby and...yeah.” Ruby clicked her tongue.

“Well I’d say she can stay here until she feels more at ease around her but,” Charlie put her hand onto her stomach. “There will be a baby here soon too.”

Ruby’s face lit up, liking the idea of April staying there. “Not immediately though,” Ruby said. “You still have near 4 weeks so maybe in that time with a little more space from Freya, you know only seeing her in small amounts, it might help her. It must be hard living in that house with her there all the time.”

“Well you can ask her.” Charlie said and Ruby smiled before taking more ice-cream.

“So, little Pip fancy some ice-cream?” Ruby gestured to Charlie’s bump.

Charlie shook her head. “Not really. I just couldn’t sleep and....” Charlie felt her eyes misting over. “Yeah, why not have some ice-cream.”

Ruby pursed her lips together, looking into Charlie’s eyes and seeing that they had misted over. “Are you okay?”

Charlie gave a little shrug as a tear rolled down her cheek. “He’s blind Ruby. My husband, my....he’s blind.” Charlie wiped her hand over her face, her emotions she’d held in for the last week finally spilling out.

“Mum,” Ruby exhaled before she stood up and bent down in front of Charlie, putting her hands onto her mother’s knees. “He’s still Brax.”

“I don’t know if he is,” Charlie sniffed back. “He’s really tried today, he has, but...” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t think he’ll ever be the same again.”

“It’s only been a week mum,” Ruby continued to rub her knees. “Just let him get used to this. And you know he still has his health.”

“Yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “And I’m just worried he’s not going to get involved with this baby,” Charlie rubbed her hand over her stomach. “I trust him completely but I know that....well he’s going to doubt he can still do stuff. He’s said he will try but...” Charlie trailed off, shaking her head. “I just don’t know.”

“It’ll all fall into place,” Ruby said. “I’m sure at first he might be a bit scared about helping with a baby when he can’t see, but once he’s done the first feed or nappy change I’m sure he’ll see he can still help out,” Ruby told her. “And I’m around so can help out too.”

“I know you’ll help,” Charlie smiled at her daughter. “I just....” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I don’t know how long I can leave the restaurant for.”

“Heath is pretty damn good at his job,” Ruby said. “Even if it did pain me to say it,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “And I would offer to help but you wouldn’t hire me.” Ruby gave a cheeky grin.

“Uhm I pretty sure I offered you a job when you were 18 dear,” Charlie replied. “You didn’t want to work there because of the hours and the fact you had uni,” Charlie exhaled. “So, none of that.”

Ruby gave a little laugh. “I know,” Ruby answered. “Maybe you could find a new manager then,” Ruby said. “Someone to fill Brax’s position.”

“Hmm,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “It’s crossed my mind, but, I’m going to need to pick the right moment to talk about it with Brax. I don’t want him to feel like he can be so easily replaced,” Charlie hated no longer working with Brax. Every time she was in the restaurant it just reminded her of working with him and it saddened her she wouldn’t be able to again. Brax had taught her everything about working in that place and it felt strange now that she was there working while he was no longer able to. “Anyways,” Charlie ran her hand over her face before she yawned. “I’m going to bed. Don’t stay up to much later. You have uni tomorrow.”

“I won’t,” Ruby pulled the ice-cream closer to her and took another spoonful. “Goodnight.”

“Night.” Charlie pulled herself up from the chair and kissed Ruby’s forehead before going back up the stairs to bed.

Bianca took a deep breath before knocking on the door. It somehow didn’t feel right to just waltz back in. “Hang on.” Bianca heard Heath’s voice from inside. It sounded like he was in a rush. She took a deep breath before opening the door and walking in, just as Heath walked out of the bathroom, his work trousers on but his chest bare as a towel hung around the back of his neck and dropped down the front of his shoulders. His eyes widened in shock at seeing his wife.

“Hi.” Bianca spoke quietly, her lips pursing together.

Heath sniggered, his head shaking. “What the hell do you want?”

“I uhm,” Bianca played with her wedding rings. “I hoped we could talk.”

“I’m already running late for work as it is,” Heath told her. “Katie was chucking up all day so I tried to get it off but Charlie couldn’t get anyone else to come in and I’m not leaving her a staff member down.” Usually he wouldn’t have found it as much of a problem, but he was worried about Charlie. She was trying to do too much and she should be resting now she was in the ends of her pregnancy.

“Oh,” Bianca exhaled. “Is Katie okay now?” Bianca questioned looking around the house. She rested her eyes on the moses basket, wondering if her baby daughter was sleeping in there right in this moment.

“Don’t act concerned.” Heath retorted.

“Heath of course I am,” Bianca replied. “She’s my daughter.”

Heath sniggered again. “She’s sick,” Heath told her. “She cried for you but you weren’t here for her. Doesn’t sound like much of a mother to me.” Heath spoke coldly and Bianca bowed her head down.

“I have postnatal depression Heath,” Bianca exhaled. It was the first time she’d said it out loud and she felt like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. “I need to go get help.”

“Then go,” Heath told her. “Why are you here?”

“I need Freya,” Bianca told him. “The centre I’ve book myself into, I....she needs to be there so I can work through things.”

“You’re not taking her away from me,” Heath told her. “How do I know you’re not just making this up and are going to go running in front of more cars with her?” Heath still sounded angry at what Bianca did. Postnatal depression or not she caused the accident. She caused his brothers blindness and was responsible for Noah’s broken leg, the other woman’s whiplash and cracked ribs.

“Because I want help,” Bianca felt herself welling up. “You think I want to feel like this?” Bianca questioned. “I don’t. I want to get better. I want to be a good mother to Freya. I want...” Bianca could no longer be heard through her tears. She stopped talking and took a deep breath to compose herself. “Don’t you want me to get better and be a mother to our girls?”

Heath pursed his lips together. Of course the girls needed their mother. Katie especially didn’t need to lose a second mother. Although she didn’t know anything about Alice, Heath of course knew and that was enough. He couldn’t let his daughter lose the only mother she’d ever known and loved, even more so now Bianca had adopted Katie. “I’ll take you both there then,” Heath told her. “I need to see for sure where you’ll be. Make sure Freya is going to be safe.”

Bianca gave a nod of understanding. “I don’t need to be there till tomorrow,” Bianca told him. “I can eh...I can stay here tonight right?”

“If you don’t mind the couch,” Heath answered. “Or well I’m pretty sure April is staying at Ruby’s again tonight so there is her bed.”

Bianca gave a weak smile. “Thank you.”

“I need to get ready for work,” Heath said. “So.....well you know where everything is.” Heath said before he walked through to their bedroom, the door slamming shut. Bianca exhaled as she walked across the room to the cabinet and picked up a photo of Katie with Freya when she was only a few days old. She ran her hand over their faces before taking a deep breath, knowing she had a lot of making up to do. Not only with Heath and her girls but with Charlie, Brax and Noah too. She took another breath and only hoped that she hadn’t lost their friendship over this.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Eighty-eight

Charlie was sitting in the office, resting her feet up against the desk. She was rubbing her stomach, Heath being adamant that she took a 15 minute break from being on her feet. She said she was fine working but truthfully she was glad of the offer. Her feet and ankles were killing her and she needed to rest for a little bit. “I brought you a tea.” Heath said, walking into the room and placing the cup of tea down on the desk.

“Thanks,” Charlie gave her brother in law a thankful smile before she took a drink. “How is it out there?”

“Busy but we are coping fine so just relax,” Heath leaned himself against the desk and looked down at Charlie. “Bianca’s back.” Heath exhaled and Bianca raised her eyebrows.

“Didn’t expect her to be back so soon.” Charlie said, surprise in her tone.

“Me either,” Heath played with his wedding ring. “She uhm....she’s actually at the house still.”

“You left her with the girls?” Charlie looked a little shocked.

“Of course not,” Heath answered. “They were already at Irene’s before she came around. She uhm...” Heath rubbed the back of his head. “She’s booked herself into some centre for postnatal depression,” Heath exhaled. “She needs to take Freya with her apparently.”

“Well it’ll be harder sort without a baby there,” Charlie told him and Heath gave a little nod of understanding. “And it’s good she’s admitted she has it. It’s a start,” Charlie pursed her lips together, continuing to rub her stomach as she held her cup of tea in her other hand. “You two are going to be alright though, aren’t you?”

Heath gave a little shrug. “The whole trying to kill Freya thing.....she’s sick and I know she would never intentionally bring any harm to the girls, but....” Heath exhaled loudly. “What if it wasn’t Brax in that car and they didn’t swerve to miss her and she.....she and Freya could have...” Heath stopped talking, not wanting to say it.

“In this situation you don’t think about the what if’s,” Charlie told him. “Bianca and Freya are safe and she’s going to get help. You two are going to be fine.”

“I don’t know,” Heath shrugged again. “She’s caused my brother’s blindness. It’s her fault Brax is trapped in this hell and I don’t know if I can forgive that,” Heath didn’t want it to be over with him and Bianca, but he felt like he was caught in a hard place. “What about you and Bianca?”

Charlie shook her head as she gave a shrug. “Part of me doesn’t blame her. She wasn’t thinking straight but then....” Charlie continued to shake her head, feeling her eyes misting over. “Well like you say, her actions caused Brax to go blind and.....” Charlie pursed her lips together. Bianca was her best friend. More than that really, she was like a sister to Charlie, she didn’t want their friendship to be over but didn’t know if it would be the same again. “She broke him. She broke my husband.” Charlie said as tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Hey, hey.” Heath bent down in front of her and rubbed her arm.

“He’s really tried the last couple of days but....” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Sometimes it feels like I am with a different person. He’s just so....” Charlie trailed off, shaking her head a little.

“Give him time,” Heath continued to rub her arm. “He’ll get used to this new way of life he has.”

“I know,” Charlie sniffed back. “It’s just....it’s hard on everyone. The kids, Tobes especially. He doesn’t really understand why daddy can’t see anymore. That he can’t do some things like he used to. And the new baby.....he’s never going to see his baby.”

Heath took a deep breath, staying composed. He would hate not to be able to see Katie and little Freya. “He’ll still be there,” Heath said. “He’ll love that kid so much.”

“I don’t doubt that,” Charlie exhaled, wiping her hand across her eyes. “Anyways, eh...” Charlie cleared her throat. “You should get back to work,” Charlie told him. “I’ll be back through soon.” Charlie said and Heath rubbed her arm once more before he stood up and went back to work.

“My leg is itchy,” Noah hit his cast with his fist, unfortunately not having a way to get to his leg. “R—u—b—y.” Noah moaned.

“There’s nothing I can do about that bud, I’m sorry.” Ruby looked to her brother from across the coffee table.

Noah scowled before he threw the dice down, moving the 7 spaces that he rolled. “April can you help?” Noah asked, looking to her. “You are a doctor.”

“I’m not a qualified doctor yet.” April answered.

“Don’t you get the lesson on how to scratch and itch under a cast till later on then?” Ruby questioned with a cheeky look on her face and April glared back with much the same look on her face.

“Just try not to think about it,” April told him, rolling the dice and moving 3 spaces, Toby pointing to her and laughing as she went down the biggest snakes on the board. “You think that was funny?” April said looking to Toby who was nodding vigorously.

“Yes cos you first but now you at bottom,” Toby giggled again. “You be a loser.”

“Ahh nah I’m still going to win,” April exhaled. “I have to, I’m the only one who hasn’t won a game.”

“You won’t now,” Ella answered. “You is all the way back at number 5,” Ella pointed to the board as she spoke. “And we are up at like uhm all of us is past 60.” Ella said.

“She could maybe still win,” Noah said, defending April. “Maybe we all get snakes too and keep getting them or she could get the big ladders.” Noah said before sticking his tongue out at his sister as she scowled at him, before he looked to April and giving her a sweet smile.

“Ruby,” Brax’s voice could be heard shouting from the top of the stairs. Ruby jumped up from the floor and walked over to the stairs as Ella came running with her, Ella always the first to be there if Brax spoke or wanted anything. “Ruby.” Brax said again, holding onto the banister as he walked slowly down the stairs.

“Yeah I’m here, what is it?” Ruby asked as Ella ran up the stairs and wrapped her hands round his arm.

“I will help daddy,” Ella exhaled. “I’m Ella.”

“I know it’s you petal.” Brax answered and Ella gasped in amazement.

“How?” Ella asked him.

“You’re little hands for start,” Brax laughed. “Ruby may be small but she’s not that small,” Brax said. “And I also know your voice petal.”

“Ah,” Ella continued to walk down the stairs with him. “Still clever.”

Brax laughed as he put his hand out to the side, knocking against the side of Ella head before moving his hand up and ruffling her hair. “Uhm Rubes, can you make me a coffee?” Brax questioned.

“Sure I can,” Ruby answered. Brax not ready to start feeling for a kettle full of boiling water with no eyesight just yet. “You can finish the game with the kids and April if you want.” Ruby said.

“Yeah daddy,” Ella jumped down the last step but kept a hold of her father’s arm. “We is playing snakes and ladders and we all got a game but April,” Ella explained. “And Ruby is the blue counter and she is winning so you might win if you take it.” Ella said, Brax hearing the excitement in her voice at him maybe playing with them.

“If I roll the dice you need to be honest then,” Brax said. “No moving me 2 spaces when it should be 10,” Brax said, reaching out and finding Ella’s sides tickling her as Ella giggled.

“No,” Ella told him. “We won’t cheat daddy.”

“Good,” Brax smiled. “Well let’s go play then.” Brax said and Ruby smiled as she watched him walking through with Ella, Ella still linked onto her father. She watched as Noah’s face lit up and Toby jumped up and did a crazy dance at hearing Brax would play before she walked through to the kitchen to make her stepfather a coffee.

Thank you for the comments. :)

Eighty-nine

Charlie woke up and looked up at Brax as she gently ran her fingertips over his chest. “Morning.” Charlie smiled at the sound of Brax’s voice.

“Morning,” Charlie repeated as she leaned up and kissed his cheek. “You need to shave.” Charlie ran her hand over his growing stubble.

“I’ll probably cut my nose off.” Brax replied and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“I can do it for you,” Charlie said. “But I see no reason why one day you can’t shave yourself,” Charlie told him. “We can work at you becoming as independent as possible,” Charlie rubbed his chest as she once again kissed his cheek. “And you know we can teach Rolo to be a guide dog. He’s still a pup so I’m sure he could learn to help out and we could get you one of those white cane things.”

“I am not getting a cane,” Brax sounded offended. “Teaching Rolo to be able to help me is fine but I am never, never ever getting a cane or those dark glasses.” Brax sighed, running his hand over his eyes.

“Okay. It was just a suggestion,” Charlie pursed her lips together; deciding now was as good a time as any to talk to him about the work thing. “So, I’ve been thinking,” Charlie exhaled. “It might be an idea to hire someone new at work.”

“You want to replace me?” Brax questioned.

“I couldn’t ever do that,” Charlie answered. “But I need to take maternity leave soon and with you already out of work we’ll be two people down and as good as Heath and Henry are with the place, we can’t have them working all the time. We need to get someone with experience. I’m talking a managerial type role.”

“I see,” Brax exhaled as he sat up in the bed, causing Charlie to do the same, Brax’s hand finding her bump and resting there. “Well it probably is for the best.” Brax didn’t sound too thrilled with the idea.

“You sure it’s okay?” Charlie asked. “You don’t sound too keen.”

“Well no,” Brax sighed. “I’d rather be there myself, but you do need someone there to fill my place so...” Brax exhaled loudly as he gave a little shrug. “But can I.....can you talk over the people CV’s with me and maybe I could be there when you interview,” Brax said. “I want to still feel like I am part of the business.”

“Of course,” Charlie answered. “I would never make a decision on that place without you.”

Brax smiled weakly. “Promise me you won’t hire a hot 30 year old dreamboat with a six pack.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Don’t think interviews require me to ask if he has a six pack,” Charlie answered. “But I’ve already got my dreamboat,” Charlie rubbed his chest. “I don’t need to look elsewhere.”

“Not even for a guy with vision?” Brax sighed.

“Not even then,” Charlie shook her head. “You are all I want,” Charlie said. “Besides what 30 year old dreamboat is going to want a woman with 5 kids?” Charlie questioned and Brax gave a little laugh.

“I want 5 kids.” Brax said.

“Well looks like we are meant to be,” Charlie gave another laugh before she placed a soft kiss on his lips. “So there was actually something else I wanted to talk to you about,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Uhm....Bianca is back.”

Brax pursed his lips together as he closed his eyes shut tightly. He took a deep breath before exhaling loudly. “What time is it?” Brax asked.

“It’s 7.15, why?” Charlie questioned.

“We should make a start to getting the kids up,” Brax said as he got out of bed, purposely ignoring the topic of Bianca. “Breakfast and school are calling.” Brax said as he felt for the chair by his bedside and lifted up his t-shirt, feeling for the label so he knew which way to put it on. Charlie bit her lip as she watched him, not really blaming him for wanting to avoid the topic of Bianca for now.

“No,” Katie sniffed back as more tears rolled down her cheeks. “You can’t go. You just home.” Katie was clinging tightly onto Bianca, not about to let go any time soon.

“I need to pumpkin,” Bianca rubbed her hair. “I’m going to go away so I can get better. Mummy is sick.”

“I’m sick too,” Katie’s told her. “We be sick here.” Katie pointed downwards, wanting Bianca to stay at the house.

“It’s a different kind of sick sweetheart,” Bianca told her. “And I need to go so I can get better then I’ll come home and be a mother to you and Freya again, hmmm.” Bianca rubbed her daughter’s tearstained cheek.

“Daddy,” Katie cried as she looked up to Heath who was standing behind Bianca, a little to the side. Having put Freya into the car seat, he was making sure she had enough things for a least the first couple of days in her backpack. “You want mummy to stay, ay?” Katie sniffed back again, her little face looking heartbroken that Bianca was leaving her again.

“Not right now, pumpkin,” Heath bent down to her level and opened his arms out. Katie ran over to him and hugged him tightly. “Mummy needs to go,” Heath told her, rubbing her hair softly. “But I promise you she will come back again and you two can go to the beach and build sandcastle or she can take you swimming to the place with the flumes and take you to the soft play area with the big bouncy castle and ball pool that you love.” Heath said and Katie’s cries softened as she pulled back a little and looked into her father’s eyes.

“Promise?” Katie questioned, running her index finger around his face. Heath gave a little nod before Katie looked questioningly at Bianca. “And you?”

“Yeah I promise you sweetheart,” Bianca sniffed back, seeing Katie so upset also brought tears to her eyes. “We’ll have so much fun.”

“And we take my sister?” Katie looked to the car seat where Freya was asleep. Bianca took a deep breath before looking very briefly at her daughter before looking back to Katie.

“Of course.” Bianca spoke quietly and Heath knew from her tone she was unsure about that.

“You are going to be late if we don’t make a start,” Heath said, not making any sort of contact with Bianca. Bianca gave a little nod before she walked out of the house, Katie walking quickly to catch up and took her hand as she left the house. Heath watched her until she was out of sight before looking to the car seat to his baby daughter. “Guess daddy needs to bring you then,” Heath said as he picked the car seat and backpack up as he hoped he was doing the right thing in letting Freya go with Bianca.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Ninety

Ruby gave a little smile as he walked over to her. “Hi,” Ruby said. “How you doing?” Ruby looked passed Romeo to the girl that was taking a seat at the table. She looked across in that moment so Ruby smiled at her before looking back to Romeo.

“Fine,” Romeo exhaled. “Can we have two bacon cheese burgers and two cokes.” Romeo questioned, pulling his wallet from his pocket.

“Sure.” Ruby wrote the order down before ringing the items up on the till. Romeo handed her a note, before putting his wallet back into his pocket.

“Keep the change,” Romeo mumbled as he turned to walk away. Ruby exhaled sadly. Of course she couldn’t expect to be best friends with Romeo right away but it had been over 8 months since they split and Ruby thought they could at least have small talk when they saw each other, especially since she had something important she wanted to ask him. “Romeo, I...” Ruby spoke a little louder than normal and Romeo turned back around to face her. “I uhm, was actually hoping we could talk.” Ruby took a deep breath, worried for how this was going to go.

Romeo gave a little snigger. “About?” Romeo questioned. “We don’t really have anything to talk about considering you left me for a chick,” Romeo said. “Or I guess we have girls in common.” Romeo laughed a little. Ruby pursed her lips together as she looked down a little.

“I uhm,” Ruby cleared her throat as she looked back up at him. “I thought maybe we could make a start on getting divorced.”

“I don’t want a divorce.” Romeo told her.

“But we’re separated,” Ruby sighed, feeling a little frustrated. “I’m with April and you are with....” Ruby trailed off as she gestured to the girl waiting on Romeo to join her.

“We’ve been on like 3 dates,” Romeo said. “She’s not even my girlfriend yet and even if she was it doesn’t mean to say I am going to marry her,” Romeo looked to her before looking back to Ruby. “I’m not signing any papers any time soon,” Romeo told her, Ruby seeing a smug grin creeping onto his face. “Best get that order into the kitchen now, wifey.” Romeo laughed before walking over to the table to sit with his date. Ruby took a deep breath before picking up the order and walking through to the kitchen sighing loudly thinking that Romeo wasn’t going to make this easy for her.

April put the dress into the case before zipping it shut and pulling it down from the bed, lifting up the handle so she could pull it out of the room. She looked up as she heard the door banging shut and walked out of the room as she heard Katie and Heath’s voices. “She get away okay then?” April asked.

“Mmm,” Heath nodded. “Was worried about leaving Freya but Bianca had a nurse assigned to her and she was there right away and took Freya from me.” Heath exhaled still looking unsure as to if he did the right thing.

“The nurses will make sure she is safe.” April spoke softly and there was something reassuring about her voice. Heath gave a smile before looking to the suitcase behind April.

“You’re still leaving?” Heath questioned.

“Charlie offered and...” April trailed off as she gave a little shrug.

“But Freya isn’t here anymore,” Heath exhaled. “Please April, I need you to stay. I have to work tonight and was hoping you’d watch Katie.” Heath pointed over to her as she was playing with her doll, at this moment in time changing her nappy, using her doll as practice for changing Freya’s nappies.

“Well I....” April pursed her lips together before glancing down to Katie. “I was kinda liking waking up with Rubes every morning.”

“Well invite Rubes to stay here.” Heath suggested.

“She can’t,” April exhaled. “Rubes needs to be at home for the kids and Brax. She has Charlie to help out.” April told him.

Heath ran his hand over his forehead. “Of course.” Heath exhaled.

“Look I’ll stay and watch Katie then if you’re not home to late maybe I could just drive out to Rubes’ place,” April said. “Or I guess I can stay tonight and some other nights you need help with Katie,” April told him. “How long is Bianca and Freya going to be gone for?”

“Heath shrugged. “No idea. Depends how long it takes Bianca to get better I guess.”

“Sure,” April pursed her lips together. “You okay?” April questioned, seeing sadness in Heath’s eyes.

Heath cleared his throat as he shrugged. “I love her. She’s my wife. The mother of my girls but I....I don’t want us to be over but I....” Heath exhaled as he looked to his watch. “I’m going for a shower. Watch Katie.” Heath said before walking over to the bathroom, the door shutting loudly. April exhaled as she looked to the door. Of course she wanted Heath and Bianca to stay together but could understand Heath’s confusion right now. His brother was blind because of Bianca and that wasn’t something that could get immediate forgiveness.

“April.” April was pulled out from her thoughts by Katie’s little hand tugging on her.

“Yes pumpkin?” April ran her hand through Katie’s ponytail.

“Can we bake?” Katie asked, her dolly still being held firmly in her hand.

“Of course we can.” April smiled down at Katie before leading her through to the kitchen, Katie looking excited that they were going to bake something.

Charlie smiled as she heard the laughter of the twins coming from Noah’s room. Brax was making up a story for them and it was obviously proving a success. “You’re going to have an amazing daddy,” Charlie rubbed her bump. “We can’t wait to meet you bubba,” Charlie felt the temperature of the bath water before she turned the taps off. “And you brothers and sisters are excited too,” Charlie took her singlet off before throwing it into the laundry basket, doing the same with her sweats. “Well Ella is if you are a girl, Toby is if you are a boy and I think Noah would like a brother too,” Charlie exhaled as she unhooked her bra, once again throwing it into the laundry basket. “Ruby thinks you are a girl but mummy really has no clue,” Charlie took her panties off and threw them into the laundry basket. “Daddy wanted to find out this time but mummy likes a surprise.” Charlie smiled as she felt the baby kicking.

“Charlie,” Charlie looked out of the bathroom as she heard Brax’s voice.”Charlie.” Brax spoke again and Charlie heard footsteps.

“Yeah, I’m here,” Charlie walked out of the en-suite bathroom and over to her husband. “The twins sounded like they enjoyed their story.”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled at the sight of Brax grinning from ear to ear. “We had fairies and goblins and a magic sword and an enchanted castle.” Brax gave a little laugh.

“Oh I didn’t realise you had such an imagination.” Charlie wrapped her arms around Brax and leaned up, kissing his forehead softly.

“Sometimes it just comes easily,” Brax laughed before resting his hands on Charlie’s bottom. “Are you naked, Mrs Braxton?” Brax raised his eyebrows as the grin remained of his face.

“I am,” Charlie answered. “I’ve just ran a bath. You could join me if you like,” Charlie spoke seductively as she ran her hands round the rim of his t-shirt before sliding them up and resting them on his stomach. “It could be fun.” Charlie placed a soft kiss on his lips as she slid her hand down his pants, teasingly rubbing the rim of his boxer shorts.

“Ohh if you are going to feel this good....in pregnancies....from now on maybe we’ll just have to....keep having kids.” Brax said between kisses as Charlie pulled his t-shirt from his body, throwing it to the floor as she started walking backwards, Brax walking with her into the bathroom.

“No chance,” Charlie said as she undid the button on the pants and pulled down the zip as Brax softly kissed her neck. “Besides you’ve had a little operation.”

“Nothing another little operation won’t fix.” Brax replied as his pants fell to the floor, Brax lifting his first foot out before shaking his other, setting his foot free.

“Don’t even think about it.” Charlie pulled down his boxers and Brax stepped out of them before they kissed once more, before Charlie helped Brax into the bath, Charlie then getting in with him.

Archived