Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments. :)

Forty-one

Ruby walked into the apartment taking a deep breath before making her way into the kitchen where she could hear her husband. “Hey,” Ruby said seeing him pouring himself a glass of orange juice. Romeo looked up to her and smiled before downing the glass of juice and walking over to her, wrapping his arms around her waist, placing a kiss on her lips. “You smell of fish.” Ruby screwed her face up.

“Funny that, considering I started work at the fish factory today,” Romeo exhaled. “Where have you been?” Romeo questioned. “I thought you finished uni at 3 on a Monday?”

“I do,” Ruby nodded. “I uhm....I was in seeing Dex and Adrian for a bit.”

“Oh really?” Romeo took a few steps back from his wife and looked at her questioningly. “Dexter Walker and Adrian Hall?”

“Yeah,” Ruby exhaled, feeling a little nervous. “What other Dex and Adrian do we know?”

“I don’t know Ruby why don’t you tell me because I’m just in from being there and I don’t remember seeing my wife or Adrian for that matter.” Romeo sounded angry and confused at the same time.

“Well no, eh, I went there but me and Adrian went for a walk.” Ruby hoped this lie would work as she rolled her wedding rings around her fingers.

“Ah so Adrian can split herself in two, can she?” Romeo asked. “She’s working, Rubes.” Romeo felt his heart beating faster. Why was his wife lying to him and where had she really been were the questions running through him.

“Okay that was a lie,” Ruby bowed her head down knowing she had no choice now but to be honest with him. “I was with April,” Ruby said and Romeo felt his heart beating faster, worried for what more was about to come out of Ruby’s mouth. “I’m sorry,” Ruby felt herself welling up. “I...I...uhm...I don’t want to hurt you,” Ruby squeaked. “I -”

Romeo took a deep breath to compose himself. “How long....how long has it been going on?” Romeo questioned.

“It hasn’t really been on as such.” Ruby exhaled, seeing the hurt already in his eyes.

“How many times have you slept with her?” Romeo asked his eyes stinging with tears that wanted to fall at his wife’s betrayal.

“Well there has been two occasions,” Ruby told him. “But in terms of how many times we’ve actually....” Ruby trailed off. “I am so sorry, Romeo, I -” Ruby stepped forward and went to touch him but Romeo pushed her away.

“And last night, you were with her, right?” Romeo questioned and Ruby shook her head. Romeo gave a snort, like he didn’t believe her.

“Okay yes, I was with her but Adrian was there too.” Ruby told him.

“Ruby don’t lie to me,” Romeo raised his voice. “At least have the decency to tell me the truth.” Romeo felt his heart breaking more and more as the talk with his wife continued.

“I swear I was with Adrian last night. We had a couple of drinks at hers then went out. April was there too but I didn’t sleep with her,” Ruby wiped her hand over her eyes, pushing back tears. “We kissed, but that was all.”

“And what about that night we had plans and you showed up late and said you’d been at your mums?” Romeo questioned.

“I really was at my mums,” Ruby nodded her head. “I eh...I was with April Thursday afternoon and then this afternoon,” Ruby told him as she watched a tear rolling down his cheek. “I’m so sorry Romeo,” Ruby sniffed back. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

“You’ve a funny way of showing that then,” Romeo spat, vemon and hate evident in his voice. “Six weeks, Ruby. We’ve been married 6 weeks.”

Ruby pursed her lips together. “I should never have married you. I’m sorry.” Ruby told him and Romeo leaned back against the worktop. It hurt hearing she’d slept with someone else, especially another woman, but hearing her say she should never have married him at all felt like someone was ripping his heart out.

“Then there’s no reason for you to stay here.” Romeo walked through the hall and into their bedroom, grabbing a bag from the bottom of the wardrobe and stuffing a handful of Ruby’s clothes into it.

“Romeo.” Ruby said, reaching forward to touch his arm but he pushed her back again.

“Get out.” Romeo seethed at her before walking down the hall and opening the door throwing the bag out to the hallway.

“What about the rest of my stuff?” Ruby asked as Romeo practically pushed her out of the door.

“Come for it tomorrow when I am out.” Romeo said before slamming the door shut in her face, slumping to the ground in tears.

Ruby knocked on the door of her mother’s house before walking in, hearing music playing. She threw her bag down on the kitchen floor before walking into the living room, seeing the kids dancing around to music as Charlie and Brax looked very cosy on the couch.

“Ruby,” Noah ran over to his sister as he saw her. “Come party. We are happy mum and dad are back together.”

“Ah that’s great news,” Ruby sniffed back. “But I don’t feel like partying right now bud.” Ruby ruffled his hair.

Noah frowned. “But Ruby, mum and dad are back together.” Noah explained again.

“I know and it’s great but I don’t want to party.” Ruby said, trying her best not to break down into tears.

“Rubes are you okay?” Charlie questioned as she stood up from the couch and walked over to her daughter. Ruby shook her head and burst into tears and Charlie pulled her into a hug.

“C’mon buddy,” Brax stood up from the couch, gesturing for Noah to go to him. “Let mum and Ruby talk.” Charlie walked Ruby through to the kitchen and looked down to see the bag, knowing this wasn’t a good sign. They took a seat at the table, Charlie giving Ruby a minute to compose herself before she started talking.

“April and I hooked up again this afternoon,” Ruby exhaled. “I eh...I went home and...well Romeo and I are over.” Ruby pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Rubes,” Charlie exhaled, leaning forward and rubbing her daughters arm. “You’ve done the right thing.”

“I feel so awful,” Ruby cried. “I’ve devastated him,” Ruby mumbled through the tears. “He looked heartbroken,” Ruby rolled her wedding rings around her finger as a tear rolled down her cheek. “And I know I wanted to be with April, but,” Ruby paused as she wiped her hand over her face. “I feel so sh*t for doing what I’ve done to Romeo because deep down I know I did, on some levels, love him.” Charlie got up off her chair and bent down in front of her daughter, pulling her into a comforting hug.

“I know,” Charlie spoke softly. “But at least this way you and April can be together without hiding away,” Charlie said. “That is what you want, right?” Charlie questioned and Ruby grabbed the elephant pendant she wore around her neck and gave a little nod.

“I just wish being with her didn’t mean I had to destroy someone else’s life.” Ruby sniffed back.

“I know,” Charlie said again. “But Romeo is still so young and it’s better this has happened now. He will eventually move on and meet someone else and he’ll have that chance to be happy again, just like you will be with April.” Charlie tucked her daughter’s hair behind her ear.

“I’m sorry I wasted your money,” Ruby exhaled. “You paid most of the wedding and it was such a lovely day that you gave us and -”

“Look that’s not...” Charlie shook her head as she trailed off. “There’s nothing that can be done about that. But next time you want to walk down the aisle make sure it’s with someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, yeah?” Charlie lightly knocked Ruby’s cheek and Ruby gave a little nod.

Charlie looked up as she heard Brax clearing his throat. “Sorry, I don’t want to interrupt but I need to go to work,” Brax said as he walked into the kitchen. “You alright Rubes?” Brax asked but seeing her tear-stained face and a bag of what he assumed were clothes he knew it wasn’t looking good.

“I followed my heart,” Ruby told him and Brax gave a nod of understanding. “I uhm...I’ll need a place to stay though, for a while.” Ruby said looking back to Charlie.

“Well,” Charlie exhaled. “Rubes sweetie you don’t have a bedroom here anymore so it’ll be a bit of a squeeze. We’ll need to put the boys back in together or you could take Ella’s room and she can stay with me for a while -”

“She can stay at my place,” Brax offered. “You can have Ella’s room there,” Brax said. “Excuse the pink and yellowness but, it’s a bed.”

“Thanks Brax.” Ruby smiled appreciatively at him. Brax took some keys from his pocket and threw them in her direction.

“I’m working close so will be home late,” Brax told her. “Just make yourself feel at home.” Brax said before walking over to the door, squeezing Ruby’s shoulder on the way past.

“Thanks,” Ruby said again. “I eh....I’ll go dance with Noah. See if they can cheer me up.” Ruby said before walking through to the living room. Charlie looked at Brax and gave him an appreciative smile.

“Thank you.” Charlie walked over to him.

“Well seeing as her own mother couldn’t accommodate her I wasn’t about to let her stay on the street now, was I?” Brax questioned giving Charlie a cheeky grin as she opened her mouth wide, looking offended. “No, I know it would be a squash here, there’s no room for her really,” Brax said. “Maybe we’ll need to find a bigger house.”

“And why?” Charlie questioned.

“Well I will move back in eventually, right?” Brax questioned and Charlie nodded. “And if Rubes is still out of home then she’ll need a place to stay too.”

“I guess.” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“And maybe since we are having a new start a new home would be an idea.” Brax smiled, tucking Charlie hair behind her ear as he spoke, looking into her eyes lovingly.

“We’ll see,” Charlie said. “We can talk about it.”

“Yeah.” Brax smiled before leaning forward, placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips. She smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as she wrapped her arms around his neck, Brax sliding his down her back before slapping her bum.

Charlie let out a girly squeal as she pulled back. “Go to work Brax.” Charlie said with a smile on her face before Brax kissed her cheek and left the house, Charlie shaking her head as the smile on her face only grew larger as she went back into the living room to be with her children.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Red Ranger 1, Chax, Sarah, emmamurphy8 and beebee for the comments. :wub:

Forty-two

Ruby screwed open the lid of the beer bottle, throwing it down to the table and took a big swig of the beer. She turned her head as the door opened and she stared at Brax for a moment before turning back to her beer. He raised his eyebrows as he saw the 3 empty bottles on the coffee table before looking to the forth one in her hand. “Hope you’ve left some for me,” Brax said closing the door and walking through to the kitchen. He returned with a bottle of beer and took a seat next to Ruby. She stared at him as he unscrewed the lid and threw it down with the others. “Cheers,” Brax knocked his bottle against Ruby’s before they both took a drink. “You know that’s more interesting when it is switched on.” Brax gestured towards the TV. Ruby pursed her lips together before looking up to him.

“I’ve been such a bitch.” Ruby exhaled, hating what she’d done to Romeo.

Brax widened his eyes. That was not the response he was expecting. “You’re not a bitch, Rubes,” Brax spoke softly as he looked down to his step-daughter. “Maybe you’ve made some silly choices but....” Brax exhaled. “You’re only human. Everybody makes mistakes.”

Ruby sniggered. “He didn’t have that many people,” Ruby pulled at the label of her beer bottle. “He didn’t know his real dad. His step-dad was a violent drunk. His sister, his mother....they’re not in his life,” Ruby pursed her lips together as she sniffed back. “But me....I was his wife. I was....I was his family and....” Ruby bowed her head down, ashamed at her actions. “I just hate how much I hurt him and I hate myself for thinking about the life me and April could have together when his life has been...” Ruby stopped taking as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Look Rubes,” Brax tentatively put his arm around her as she leaned closer into him, welcoming the comfort. “What’s been done has been done and nothing can change that,” Brax started, not really sure where he was going with this. “And while Romeo feels hurt right now, he will bounce back,” Brax rubbed her arm as he spoke. “He’ll have a new chance at being happy, just like you have with April.” Brax said.

“You think so?” Ruby wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Of course,” Brax gave a little nod. “Speaking of April, I’m a little surprised she’s not around here tonight.”

“I haven’t told her about me and Romeo yet,” Ruby sniffed back. “I just needed to....grieve for us, I guess.” Ruby exhaled.

“That’s understandable,” Brax said. “I’m sure you did have love for him.” Brax knew how Ruby felt. He felt this when he wanted to end thing with Natalie to be with Charlie. Even though he loved Charlie more than anything, just like Ruby did with April, he still loved Natalie, just like he knew Ruby would have loved Romeo.

“Yeah,” Ruby spoke quietly. “Ahh enough about me,” Ruby wiped her hands over her eyes before clearing her throat. “You and mum seem to be in a much better place.”

“Yeah,” Brax gave a smile. “We’re uhm....it’s good,” Brax’s smile turned into a grin. “In fact I was wanting to ask her out, just me and her one night this week,” Brax told Ruby. “You know at bit of time together without the kids.” Brax said and Ruby gave a little nod.

“You want me to watch the kids?” Ruby asked.

“If you don’t mind,” Brax said and Ruby shook her head. “You can even ask April too,” Brax nudged her arm and gave a wink. Ruby managed a little laugh. “That’s nicer to hear than those tears.” Brax said, smiling at her laughter.

“I uhm....I’m going to go to bed,” Ruby said taking one last drink of the beer before putting it down on the coffee table. “School early tomorrow,” Ruby gave a little yawn. “Goodnight.”

“Night Rubes.” Brax and Ruby hugged before she stood up and walked over to the stairs.

“Brax,” Ruby said and Brax looked around to face her. “Thank you.” Ruby gave an appreciative smile before she ran up the stairs to go to bed.

Bianca and Katie were taking a walk along the beach after Bianca’s day at work. Katie had brought her bucket and spade with her, hoping to make some sandcastles. Bianca had a sickly feeling in her stomach, morning sickness being with her all day. “Mummy can we build here?” Katie asked stopping walking and looking up her, her big brown eyes all wide.

“Sure pumpkin,” Bianca answered, glad to be sitting down for a while. She took a seat as Katie immediately starting shovelling the sand into her bucket. Bianca reached into her bag and pulled out the bottle of water and took a long drink. “You like making sandcastles huh?” Bianca ran her hand through Katie’s hair as she nodded.

“It’s fun,” Katie said turning the bucket upside down and hitting it with her hand a few times. “Toby likes to build too.” Katie told her mother, revealing the first sandcastle and immediately starting on the next.

“Does he?” Bianca questioned and Katie gave a little nod.

“Yeah,” Katie nodded. “You should help mummy,” Katie looked up to her. “Help me build.”

Bianca smiled as she started lifting clumps of sand with her hands and put them into Katie’s bucket. She looked up as she heard what she recognized to be Charlie’s voice as she saw Toby running down the beach as Ella, Noah and Charlie chased after him. “Toby.” Charlie shouted.

“Toby.” Ella and Noah’s voices could also be heard.

Bianca stood up and ran to the side, grabbing onto Toby as he made a run for the water. Charlie slowed her run down as the twins stopped next to Bianca and Charlie caught up with them, grabbing him from Bianca’s arms. “Toby Michael Braxton.” Charlie spoke crossly and out of breath.

“I just wanna swim.” Toby held his hands out to the side, not sure what he did wrong.

“You never run away from mummy like that,” Charlie shouted, maybe to sternly. “Especially not to water, do you understand?” Charlie pulled at his arm. “If Bianca wasn’t here you could have drowned.” Toby started to cry, more in fright at his mothers tone than anything and Charlie felt awful for making her 3 year old cry, but, she needed him to be aware that he couldn’t run off like that.

“Oh.” Katie widened her eyes as the three kids stared opened mouthed at Charlie.

“Thanks for that Bianca,” Charlie exhaled as she looked to her friend. “He’s just getting out of control.” Charlie lifted Toby up and he cuddled into her as his crying continued.

“It’s alright,” Bianca looked down to the twins who had started helping Katie fill her bucket before looking to Toby who was staring at her, tears staining his cheek. “You gave mummy a fright buddy,” Bianca rubbed his hand. “We don’t run off like that, especially to water. It’s dangerous.”

“Dangeeruss,” Toby sniffed back. “Sorry mummy.” Toby cuddled into her even more and Charlie kissed his temple.

“It’s okay buddy but don’t do it again, okay?” Charlie said and Toby mumbled a reply. “And I’m sorry for shouting so loud.” Charlie said as she rubbed his back and once again Toby mumbled something before Charlie put him down on the ground and he went to help his siblings and Katie with the sandcastle building.

“Bianca you know what?” Ella said, looking to her all excited. “Daddy is coming home soon,” Ella shrieked. “They are married again.”

“Ahh wow that’s great huh?” Bianca smiled and Ella nodded.

“Yeah, dad isn’t going to make her sad or cry again.” Noah beamed before going back to making sandcastles.

“That’s good,” Bianca said looking up to Charlie. “I’m really pleased for you,” Bianca rubbed her arm. “It’s about time you two got your act together.” Bianca said and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“I know. We’re taking it slow and I’m not sure when he will be back home but, eventually,” Charlie exhaled. “So, Rubes been to see April?” Charlie said raising her eyebrows.

“Uhm, I don’t know,” Bianca shrugged. “Why?”

“You mean April hasn’t told you anything?” Charlie questioned and Bianca shook her head, looking a little confused.

“Ahh well they’ve been uhm.....you know.” Charlie raised her eyebrows, not wanting to say anything more in front of the children.

“I knew it,” Bianca raised her voice. “She was so.....bubbly.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Well yesterday Ruby broke it off with Romeo, so I’d expect her and April to be a couple again soon.”

Bianca gasped in shock. “Oh wow....I’m glad for her and April but, poor Romeo he’ll be crushed.”

“Yeah,” Charlie agreed. “But as long as Ruby is happy that’s all I am concerned about.” Charlie said and Bianca gave a little nod. As the two women continued talking a woman was leaning on the fencing at the end of the beach. She was looking down at the children and smiling, or at least, smiling for one child in particular.

Ruby and April were sitting on the couch of Brax’s place, April looking gobsmacked at what Ruby had told her. She didn’t expect Ruby and Romeo to be over so soon. “Wow I uhm....” April looked at Ruby as she bit her lip. “You eh, he knows about us then?” Ruby gave a little nod and April smiled. “So, there is going to be an us?”

“Of course there is,” Ruby twisted her wedding rings around her finger. “I just want to be with you,” Ruby brought her hand up to April’s cheek and rubbed it gently before pulling her in for a kiss. “I love you more than anything in this world,” Ruby whispered as she ran her hand up April’s thigh, going under her skirt. “And that tattoo.” Ruby whispered and April gave a little laugh.

“Well admire it while you can because like I said, it won’t be there forever.” April said before she placed a kiss on her girlfriend’s lips.

“Aww so you won’t keep it for me?” Ruby gave a sad pout and April stared at her gorgeous face as she shook her head.

“This is a tattoo I got with my ex,” April said. “You really want me to keep a reminder of my time with her on my butt?” April questioned, cocking her head to the side a little.

“Well when you put it like that,” Ruby exhaled. “No, I don’t want you to keep it.”

April smiled as she cupped Ruby’s face with her hand. “I wish I could stay with you.” April pouted sadly.

“Then stay,” Ruby said, pulling her in for another kiss. “I’m sure we could think of something fun to do.” Ruby raised her eyebrows, a suggestive grin on her face.

“I can’t,” April moaned, exhaled sadly. “I need to go to work.” April sighed as she stood up from the couch.

“Will you come back after work?” Ruby questioned. “We can watch a movie...veg out.” Ruby said as she walked April to the door, their hands linking together.

“I would love to veg out with you,” April said, raising her eyebrows before leaning in for a kiss. “I’ll call you after work.”

“Sweet,” Ruby smiled as their hands parted. “And hey, at least Pete isn’t on shift tonight,” Ruby rubbed her back. “So he won’t sleaze all over you.” Ruby exhaled.

“Yeah,” April smiled thankful she didn’t have to go work with Pete who would more than likely take her from her fantastic feeling she was in right now at her and Ruby officially being back together. “I’ll see you later.” April bit her lip in a seductive way before giving Ruby one last kiss before heading off for work. Ruby closed the door and looked down to her wedding rings. She ran them around her finger a couple of times before pulling them off and laying them down on the little table by the door.

Thanks for the comments.

Forty-three

Bianca sat down on the couch next to her friend. She needed to talk to someone about this and since Heath was living in denial land right now, she knew she could turn to her friend. “Katie got a birthday card,” Bianca started. Charlie looked to her friend, a little confused. She’d just had a birthday so of course she’d gotten heaps of cards. “From Alice, I mean.” Bianca said.

“Oh,” Charlie widened her eyes. “Wow eh...” Charlie was pretty gobsmacked. She thought Alice was out of the picture for good.

“Yeah,” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “Heath seems to think it’s just a card but...” Bianca clicked her tongue. “I’m going to lose her.” Bianca’s eyes misted over and Charlie moved closer to her friend and rubbed her arm comfortingly.

“You won’t lose her,” Charlie said. “You are the only mother that girl has ever known.” Charlie looked into Bianca’s eyes and could see the pain and fear at the thought of losing Katie.

“That doesn’t matter,” Bianca answered. “Biologically I have no link to that child and...” Bianca’s voice broke as tears became visible in her eyes. “And the end of the day that’s what it’s going to come down to, right?”

“Not necessarily,” Charlie shook her head. “Alice has abandoned Katie twice,” Charlie said. “That’s not being very motherly, is it?” Charlie questioned. “So that’ll be against her right away. Katie is settled and is getting everything she needs and more in a stable and loving home with her father and the only woman who has ever been a mother to her,” Charlie said and she smiled as she saw a little smile forming on Bianca’s face. “I don’t see any judge taking her from that to give her to a woman who can go to the other side of the world for 3 years of her life, not giving her a second thought.”

“But she obviously is now,” Bianca sniffed back. “She sent a card and that’s how it all starts,” Bianca said. “I don’t want to lose her, Charlie,” Bianca confided in her friend. “I don’t.”

“I know,” Charlie spoke softly. “But if it comes to it, then you and Heath will fight for Katie and I really see no reason for you to lose her,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Maybe at worst you’ll need to share custody but, Heath is looking more like to get primary custody than Alice.” Charlie said, not quiet believing the fact that she was sticking up for Heath.

“What if she takes her to America?” Bianca questioned.

“She wouldn’t be allowed,” Charlie said. She hated seeing her friend upset over this. “I know it’ll be hard but just try not to worry.” Charlie rubbed her arm again.

“Yeah yeah,” Bianca took a deep breath before checking the time. “I should get home. Heath is starting work at 6.” Bianca said, standing up from the couch.

“Yeah, I’m in at 6 tonight as well. Melanie should be here soon to watch the kids.” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch also.

“Ahh, well play nice.” Bianca gave a little laugh.

“Bianca dear I am always nice to that husband of yours.” Charlie said and they both gave a little laugh.

“But anyways, thanks, you have made me feel a little better at least,” Bianca gave her friend a hug. “Bye.” Bianca said before seeing herself out of the house. Charlie exhaled lightly before turning her head as she heard Ella and Toby squealing from Ella’s room where they’d been left playing. She shook her head before walking through to see what was going on.

April put the last of the chairs up on the table and exhaled as she walked over to the counter, taking her apron off and putting it in its place. “Glad to be finished love?” Irene questioned and April gave a little nod.

“Yeah it’s been non-stop tonight.” April yawned.

“Well you’ve done all you can for me so you can finish,” Irene said. “Anything planned for the rest of the night?”

“Uhm,” April pursed her lips together. “Just going to hang out with Ruby for a little bit.” April couldn’t help but crack a smile.

“Ah it’s nice you can be friends,” Irene gave a smile. “Young Romeo not mind you being friends?”

“Eh,” April paused, knowing it wasn’t her place to tell Irene they’d broken up. “I don’t know.” April mumbled.

“Well have a nice night.” Irene gave her a smile and April left the diner, the smile only growing larger on her face as she thought about going to see Ruby as she walked away from the diner.

“Hey,” April gave a little jump in fright as someone grabbed her arm. She looked up to see Pete staring down at her, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. “How was your night?”

“Fine.” April pushed his arm away, quickening her pace.

“Hey hey slow down baby,” Pete exhaled cigarette smoke as he spoke. “What’s the rush?” Pete questioned, looking around to see no-one going about. He gave a little smirk before looking back to April. “Let’s talk.”

“I don’t want to talk to you.” April said, trying to shrug him away but he was overpowering her.

“Ah want to get right to business, huh?” Pete put his mouth right at her ear, April feeling his breath against her, smelling his cigarette. She curled her nose up as she moved her head to the side. “Let’s go, gorgeous,” Pete pushed April as she screamed out for help. He slapped his hand over her mouth, once again putting his mouth right at her ear. “Scream and you’ll be sorry,” Pete reached into his pocket and April looked down to see he had a pocket knife in his hand. “Don’t make things worse than they need to be.” Pete whispered, placing the knife back into his pocket before softly kissing her neck. April tried to scream no but her sounds were mumbled by his hand pressing tightly against her mouth. He pushed her down the alley at the back of the Surf Club and put his cigarette out against the wall. He looked to April and she looked into his eyes for a moment, his dark eyes that in this moment looked evil. He smiled smugly before smacking his lips against hers. April was trembling with fear but still tried to get away but he had her pinned against the wall, using his weight to make sure she wasn’t going anywhere.

Ruby walked down the stairs, fresh from her shower. She’d change into a blue and white print maxi dress and her hair was tied back loosely. She walked into the kitchen and over to the table where she’d left her phone. She looked down to it thinking April may have called considering she was finished her shift but there was no call as of yet. “You look nice,” Ruby looked around as she heard Brax’s voice. “Have plans for tonight?”

“April’s coming over, if that’s alright.” Ruby told her stepfather. She was excited to see her and now that Romeo wasn’t in the picture she didn’t feel guilty about it.

“Will she be spending the night?” Brax questioned as he poured milk into his freshly made coffee. Gesturing to the cafetiere, seeing if Ruby wanted one. She shook her head in response.

“Maybe,” Ruby gave a little shrug as her face went a little red. “It’s not a problem, is it?”

“Well Rubes....Ella sleeps in that bed,” Brax exhaled, putting the milk back to the fridge. “I’m not entirely comfortable with the idea of you two...you know, in your 6 year old sisters bed.” Brax screwed his face up as he turned to face Ruby, picking his coffee cup from the worktop and leaning himself against it.

“Okay,” Ruby exhaled, understanding where Brax was coming from. “We uhm....we won’t.”

“Sorry.” Brax said, feeling the need to apologise.

“It’s fine,” Ruby said. “This is your house and I’ll go by your rules,” Ruby gave him a little smile. “So, how long do you actually think this will be your house for?” Ruby questioned. “Surely you and mum will be living together again now you are back together?”

“Eventually,” Brax gave a little nod before taking a drink of his coffee. “She wants to take it slow, and I guess to an extent, I understand that,” Brax exhaled. “And you know, I took the rent contract for a year so in two months time I do have the option to leave,” Brax told her. “Maybe I should stay here then.”

“Yeah,” Ruby exhaled. “Guess I need to start finding a place to stay,” Ruby bit her lip. “Seems like Romeo is taking the apartment.” Ruby bowed her head a little.

“You’re always welcome to stay with me and your mum.” Brax told her.

“But there’s no room, really,” Ruby said, screwing her face up a little. “Unless I take the couch,” Ruby mumbled. “That’s the whole reason I am here right now.”

“We might be moving.” Brax said.

“What?” Ruby sounded surprised. “Like far away?”

“No no,” Brax shook his head. “Just a bigger house here. So there’s room if you need it and for a new start together. A new place to begin the rest of our lives together.”

“Ah,” Ruby gave a little nod. “Hey, you couldn’t actually do me a favour, could you?” Ruby bit her lip as she looked at her stepfather.

“What would that be?” Brax asked.

“Well the rest of my stuff is still at the apartment,” Ruby sighed. “Romeo told me to go when he was out, but....well do you think you could just go for me?” Ruby asked. “I don’t really want to face that place right now.”

“Of course I will,” Brax told her, glancing at the clock on the kitchen wall. “Is tomorrow morning alright?”

“Yeah, that’ll do fine,” Ruby gave him an appreciative smile. “Thanks Brax.” Ruby said, before looking down to her phone once again, hoping that soon April would ring her and tell her she was on her way.

Thanks Red Ranger 1, Chax, Spotd1, Sarah and beebee for the comments. :)

Forty-four

Ruby looked down to her phone once again. It was half an hour after April’s shift was due to finish and she expected her to be here by now or at least have called to say she was on her way. “She probably just got caught up, Rubes,” Brax said as he watched her checking her phone. “She’ll be here soon.”

“Yeah.” Ruby exhaled as she moved her phone around in her hand.

“I’m going to get a beer if you want one?” Brax offered as he stood up from the couch. Ruby shook head before Brax walked into the kitchen and just then Ruby’s phone started to ring and she saw April’s name flashing on the screen. She smiled excitedly before answering.

“Hey sweets, where are -” Ruby stopped talking as she heard April crying. “April, what’s wrong?” Ruby jumped up from the couch in panic. “April.” Ruby said again.

“Ruby,” April’s voice was a whisper and she was hard to make out she was crying so hard. “Ruby.”

“April, what is it?” Ruby put her hand onto her chest, worriedly. April cries grew louder, thus Ruby’s worries increasing even more. “Where are you? April?” Ruby yelled. “Brax, Brax.” Ruby shouted and Brax appeared back in the living room.

“What is it?” Brax asked.

“I dunno,” Ruby said. “It’s April. She called me and she’s crying and she can’t talk and -”

“Hey calm down,” Brax walked over to his stepdaughter and rubbed her arm. “C’mon, we’ll go find her.” Brax walked over to the door and grabbed his car keys before they ran out to the car, Brax speeding off in direction of the diner. He didn’t live to far away so it was a short drive, where Ruby remained silent too worried about what the phone call meant to say anything. Brax parked the car as near to the diner as he could get before they ran there, seeing it was already closed up.

“April.” Ruby shouted as she started to follow Brax as he ran in the direct April would walk to his place. She looked to her phone and started to call Bianca to see if April was at home.

“April,” Brax rose his voice, a little out of breath as he was almost now at the surf club. He heard the faint sounds of crying and ran around the back, his eyes widening as he saw a figure slumped down against the wall. He ran over to her and upon seeing her panties ripped and lying on the ground a few feet away from her and seeing her rumpled up skirt and her tears stained face, he knew immediately what had happened. “April.” Brax spoke softly, not wanting to frighten her. He bent down next to her and tentatively reached out to touch her arm in an act of comfort.

“No, please not again.” April cried, pushing him away.

“April its Brax.” Brax said and April looked up staring into his eyes. She looked so vulnerable and frightened, more like a little girl than an almost 22 year old.

“Brax.” April cried. “He ra....I was......” April couldn’t get the word out.

“God April,” Brax muttered as he sat down close to her, but careful not to get to close. “We should get you to the hospital.”

“I just want to shower,” April cried. “I need to shower.” April brought her knees up close to her chest, hugging her arms around her.

“Brax, Bianca hasn’t....” Ruby trailed off as she saw the scene. Her girlfriend looking terrified and upset and the ripped panties a few feet away. “April,” Ruby ran down to her, crashing into the wall where April was sitting. “Oh God April.” Ruby put her hand out and touched April’s cheek. She flinched back a bit but let her keep her hand there.

“Ruby, I want to go shower,” April sniffed back. “Can you take me for a shower?” Tears rolled down April’s cheeks as she looked to Ruby, her eyes looking empty, like the life had been sucked out of her.

“She needs to go to the hospital.” Brax told Ruby and Ruby gave a nod, knowing Brax was right. April would need to be checked over for injuries, STI’s and they could get his DNA from her, and she’d most likely be given the morning after pill.

“No no hospital,” April shook her head. “I want to go home and shower. I feel so....so....” April stopped talking as her tears continued.

“I’ll bring the car closer.” Brax said as he stood up giving Ruby a glance. She gave a little nod before he ran to the car.

“Will you take me home?” April questioned, her voice pleading.

“You can’t go home right now,” Ruby felt a tear stinging her eye. “You need to go to the hospital and let them check you over then I promise you that you’ll get a shower, okay?” Ruby tried to speak calmly but inside she wanted to scream. She hated what had happened to her. “But you need to go to the hospital first.”

“You won’t leave me?” April sniffed away more tears as she wiped her hand over her eyes.

“No, I’ll be right next to you the whole time,” Ruby said, rubbing April’s arm. “C’mon.” Ruby stood up and helped April to her feet and over to Brax’s car. They got into the car and Brax drove them to the hospital.

Heath walked up behind the bar, handing Charlie the drinks order. “Pretty quiet tonight huh?” Heath said, taking two glasses and filing them with ice, helping Charlie with the order.

“Beginning of the week usual is.” Charlie answered, grabbing the rum bottle to pour the rum out for the rum and cokes.

“Yeah,” Heath sighed. “So listen I never did thank you.” Heath said and Charlie stopped what she was doing and stared at him, looking rather surprised.

“What do you want to thank me for?” Charlie questioned.

“Whatever you said to Bianca the other day,” Heath said. “She seems a lot better about this pregnancy now, so thank you.” Heath gave his sister-in-law an open mouthed smile.

“Wow a Heath Braxton thank you.” Charlie widened her eyes. These didn’t come often and especially not to her.

“Yeah don’t get to used to it,” Heath laughed. “But really, thank you.” Heath was glad Bianca had someone to talk her worries over with, even if it couldn’t be him, he was glad she was getting them out with someone.

Charlie gave a little shrug. “I don’t really think I said much to be honest, but, you are most welcome,” Charlie gave him a smile. “Katie will be stoked.” Charlie said.

“When we eventually tell her,” Heath exhaled. “Bianca wants to wait a little longer.”

“Well she is young. It’ll probably feel like forever if you tell her now.” Charlie said and Heath gave a little nod.

“I guess.” Heath said taking the bottle of rum from Charlie and pouring into the glasses.

“You just doing my job now too?” Charlie questioned. “You want me to just leave?” Charlie pointed out towards the door.

“Sorry,” Heath gave a laugh. “But you weren’t doing it.”

“We were talking,” Charlie gave a little shrug. “Besides those guys are always such awkward customers. I don’t actually know why they keep coming back here.” Charlie said, glancing over to the table of 4 business men before reaching down to the fridge and pulling out two bottles of Peroni to complete their order.

“Such a wonderfully talented host.” Heath grinned cheekily as he patted his chest and Charlie rolled her eyes at him.

“Of course that’s what it is,” Charlie laughed as she opened the beer bottles. “Well Mr talented host, take their drinks out to them.” Charlie said putting the beers on the tray next to the rum and cokes that Heath had made. Heath gave her another cheeky grin before lifting the tray up and leaving the bar. Charlie shook her head at him before picking up the cloth, wiping down their work area.

April was in the hospital room. She was sitting up on the bed, staring out to the wall in front of her. Nurse Julie had been trying to treat her, but April wouldn’t let her. All she did was say she felt dirty and wanted to shower. The police had been called, but, currently had to wait until Julie was finished with April before they would be let in to talk to her. Brax was outside the room talking with the police about the little he knew and Ruby had already filled them in on Pete’s over interest in April at work, and although they didn’t know for sure it was him until April would talk, Ruby was pretty sure it would be him. “Ruby,” Nurse Julie brought herself half out the door. Ruby looked up to her. “Can you come in,” Ruby gave a little nod before walking into the room. “She won’t let me check her over.” Julie spoke quietly and Ruby gave a little nod, walking over to the bed where April sat.

“Sweets,” Ruby said softly. “The sooner you let Julie check you over then the soon you’ll get to shower.” Ruby told her and April looked around to her, her lips pursed together.

“Promise?” April asked quietly.

Ruby looked around to Julie who nodded her head. “Yep, I promise.” Ruby said and April took a deep breath before she lay down on the bed. She grabbed Ruby’s hand as Julie walked over to the bed. Julie glanced at Ruby before looking down to April.

“Where’s Bianca?” April looked up to Ruby as Julie carried out necessary checks on April.

“She’s on her way,” Ruby told her. “She’ll be here soon.” April winced slightly as Julie checked her for cuts and bruising.

“I can still taste the cigarettes,” April screwed her face up as she open and closed her mouth a few times. “It’s gross and I can smell him....a mix of cigarettes and some cheap cologne and his eyes....they looked so....evil,” April let a fresh tear roll down her cheek. “Why did he do this to me?” April cried.

“Because he is a horrible evil man but he will be punished.” Ruby said comforting April as she continued to cry and only hoping that indeed he would be punished for what he had done.

Thank you for the comment. :)

Forty-five

Bianca walked into the room, seeing Ruby sitting by April, not about to leave her side. “April.” Bianca sounded teary as she walked over to her sister.

“What took you so long?” April questioned tears about to spill out of her eyes.

“I needed to find someone to come stay with Katie,” Bianca said, taking the seat next to Ruby. She looked to her and gave her a thankful smile, squeezing her arm in thanks. “Do you know who did this?”

April nodded her head. “It was Pete,” April took a deep breath. “I should have said something. You were right Rubes, I should have complained about him and maybe this wouldn’t have happened. It’s my own fault.” A lone tear rolled down April’s cheek as she spoke.

“Hey,” Bianca almost yelled. “It is never the victims fault,” Bianca softened her voice. “What he did...” Bianca shook her head. “It was unacceptable.”

“I wanna come home,” April cried. “I want to shower and I just want to go home.”

“Has she had all the tests?” Bianca questioned and Ruby gave a little nod.

“The results are being fast tracked given....you know,” Ruby told Bianca. “I don’t think they should be too much longer.”

“So surely they could let her shower here,” Bianca said. “I know after I was...” Bianca trailed off. “I showered here.”

“I’ll go see if I can find Julie,” Ruby said leaving Bianca to be with her sister and leaving the room. She saw Julie walking down the corridor with some toiletries and a towel. “This for April?” Ruby questioned and Julie gave a nod before walking into the room. Ruby smiled, glad April was finally getting her wish to shower. She couldn’t imagine how violated and dirty she must feel. Ruby took a deep breath before looking to Brax who was still waiting in the corridor. “Where the cops go?”

“Coffee,” Brax exhaled and seeing the look on Ruby’s face he pulled her close to him and into a hug. Ruby held onto him as she let a tear escape her eye. “She’ll be alright Rubes. She’s got a lot of people to help her through this.”

“I feel helpless,” Ruby said. “I don’t know what I am supposed to say. I don’t know what I am supposed to do.” Ruby held onto her stepfather as he comforted her.

“You’ll be helping by just being there,” Brax murmured. “She’ll get through this.” Brax rubbed Ruby’s back and held tighter onto her stepfather, knowing it would be a hard next few months but she’d be there for April no matter what.

Bianca and April walked into the house, seeing Heath was home from work. “I’m so sorry, I just got your message,” Heath said walking over to them. “We got an unexpected rush at work and I couldn’t get to my phone,” Heath rubbed Bianca’s arm before looking to April. She looked like the colour had been washed out of her face, like the life had been sucked out of her, and most importantly, she still looked terrified. “I’m sorry.” Heath said as he looked to April. He didn’t want to get to close and invade her personal space so he stayed back from her.

“I’m going for another shower.” April said before walking to the bathroom, Bianca jumping slightly as she heard the door closing.

“She’s my baby sister,” Bianca cried, now not having to be strong for April. “Why does stuff like this happen?” Bianca sniffed back as Heath pulled her into a comforting hug.

“I don’t know,” Heath shook his head. “The world is just full of disgusting people.”

Bianca took a deep breath as she pulled back. “Did uhm....did you check on Katie when you came home?”

“Yeah, she’s sound,” Heath smiled just as the doorbell rang. Heath rubbed Bianca’s arm before walking over answer the door. He opened his mouth in shock as he saw who was at the other side. The same shade of brown hair as his daughter, the same eyes that he looked into everyday. “What the hell do you want?” Heath questioned, not about to invite her in.

“To talk,” Alice answered. “I want to talk.”

“Well there’s no one here who wants to talk to you.” Heath replied as Bianca walked over to the door and stood behind Heath.

“Hi,” Alice gave her a smile. “Please, can I come in?”

“Now’s not a good time,” Heath told her. “How about you come back the 5th of never.” Heath said slamming the door shut. He looked around to Bianca who looked shocked at seeing Alice, fear in her eyes at the thought of losing Katie. Bianca opened her mouth to talk but Heath spoke over her. “No,” Heath shook his head. “It’s going to be okay. We’re not letting our little girl go anywhere.” Heath pulled Bianca into a hug as she broke down in tears, both because of what had happened to her sister and for fear that she was about to lose her little girl.

Charlie was dropping Toby off at Brax’s place since it was a Wednesday. Normally Brax would pick up Toby from Charlie’s place but after Kindy Toby had had the dentist so she brought him around on the way home and Brax had filled her in on what had happened to April the night before. “Poor April.” Charlie put her hand onto her chest, taking a deep breath.

“She looked....” Brax trailed off shaking his head as he handed Charlie the cup of coffee he’d made her. Toby was in the living room, already working on a tower with his building blocks, occasionally looking down to and patting the sticker on his t-shirt that had a big tooth on it and said he’d done a good job looking after his teeth. “It wasn’t....” Brax exhaled, seemingly lost for words.

“I can imagine,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “She must be....” Charlie too was at a loss at what to say. “Does she have any idea’s who it was?” Charlie asked before taking a drink of her coffee.

“Pete someone or other,” Brax answered. “Works at the diner.”

“Ahh yeah,” Charlie curled her nose up. “Ruby mentioned he was a bit weird and full on for his liking of April.”

“Yeah well hopefully the police catch up with him soon.” Brax said as they heard the front door closing. They walked through to see Ruby was back in the house.

“I been dentist,” Toby smiled up at his sister. “I good, see.” Toby hit his sticker and Ruby looked down to him and gave him a smile.

“Great.” Ruby answered as she sat down onto the couch.

“How was April?” Brax questioned, seeing as Ruby had gone out with intentions of seeing her, but he did think she was back awful quickly.

“She wanted to be left alone,” Ruby replied pursing her lips together. “So that’s what I did.” Ruby gave a little shrug.

“She’ll be all over the place right now, Rubes,” Charlie sat on the couch next to her daughter and rubbed her arm. “Don’t take it to heart.”

“I’ll try,” Ruby exhaled. “I want to be there for her and I.....I wish she’d let me.” Ruby felt useless sitting at home when her girlfriend was going through something so huge.

“She did yesterday, didn’t she?” Brax questioned. “Like your mother said she’ll just be a bit all over the place right now. Don’t take it to heart.” Brax said and Ruby gave him a weak smile.

“Shouldn’t you be a uni?” Charlie questioned.

“I couldn’t concentrate if I went today,” Ruby told her. “I uhm...I know it didn’t happen to me, but...” Ruby trailed off.

“I understand.” Charlie one again rubbed her daughters arm.

Toby jumped up as the doorbell rang and ran over to the door, wanting to see who it was. Brax walked over and opened the door, Toby smiling up at Heath who was at the other side. “Heath I be’d dentist, see.” Toby once again hit his sticker.

“Ah yeah,” Heath looked down to Toby, ruffling his hair. “That’s good.”

“Yeah.” Toby gave a grin showing a nice set of white teeth before running back off to his tower.

“What ya after?” Brax questioned as Heath walked into the room.

“Rubes,” Heath said, staring down at her, thinking he may as well get straight to why he was there. “Eh you know where this bastard lives?” Heath questioned.

“Bianca is worried about you,” Ruby told him, ignoring his question. “You eh, you left pretty early this morning and -”

“I was just out walking and thinking,” Heath answered. “Lots of stuff going on right now,” Heath said. “So this guy, you know where he lives?”

“Uhm,” Ruby screwed her face up. “Mayfield Place but I don’t know the number, why?”

Heath gave a smug grin. “Brax you coming?” Heath said as he started walking out of the house.

“Heath leave it to the police,” Charlie jumped up from the couch and walked over to the door. “Heath.” Charlie shouted again.

“You coming bro?” Heath shouted, opening the door to his truck.

“Mate don’t go doing anything stupid.” Brax shouted from the doorway.

“Go,” Charlie pulled on his arm. “Brax, go with him. Stop him from doing this.” Charlie said as she pushed Brax out of his house. Brax sighed before running down to his brother’s truck.

“Heath -” Brax started to talk but Heath stopped him.

“I’m going to pay this guy a visit before the police get to him.” Heath said getting into his truck and starting up the engine. Brax shook his head at his brother before getting in the truck with him, hoping he could make him see sense on the way.

Thank you all so much for commenting. :wub:

Forty-six

Heath and Brax were sitting in the truck looking at house number 7. They’d seen Pete walk into it about 5 minutes beforehand and Brax was still trying to talk Heath out of doing anything stupid. “So, c’mon, let’s just go home and let the police do their job huh?” Brax said.

“If the police were doing their job properly he’d be arrested by now,” Heath replied, turning the key in the ignition and pulling it out. “You don’t need to come with me.” Heath got out of the car, slamming the door shut. Brax muttered something under his breath before getting out the car, running after his brother.

“What about Bianca and Katie?” Brax questioned. “You think they’d want you to do this?” Brax asked. “Or April? You think she’d want you to stoop to his level?”

“No one hurts my family and gets away with it,” Heath turned to face Brax, almost spitting in his face, venom in his voice. “I’m not asking you to come with me. But you’re a Braxton and my brother and you’re loyal.”

Brax muttered once again. “Just scare him. Don’t go stupid.” Brax said before following Heath up to the door. Heath banged hard on it continuously.

“Alright what the hell?” Heath heard Pete’s voice as the door opened. “Can I help?” Pete asked looking at the men. Heath sniggered smugly before grabbing Pete’s t-shirt by the collar and pushing him right down the hall and banging him hard against the wall. “What the f**K.” Pete looked shocked at what had happened. He tried to get away from Heath’s grasp but Heath just held even tighter onto him.

“You know who I am?” Heath questioned.

“I’ve seen you around the diner,” Pete once again tried to shrug away but Heath was stronger. “You’ve got a wife and little brown haired kid.”

“Also got a sister-in-law,” Heath said. “Think you know who I am on about,” Heath told him. “April,” Heath whispered and Pete’s eyes widened. “Yeah that’s right mate,” Heath said smugly. “You’ve hurt the wrong girl.” Heath lifted his knee up and dug it into Pete’s stomach. Pete gasped, like he’d been winded.

“Heath,” Brax spoke for the first time, stepping forward, putting his hand onto Heath’s shoulder. “What happened to just talking?”

“Never said I was going to do that.” Heath kneed Pete in the stomach again and again and again. On the forth one Pete doubled over, before flinging a punch back at Heath before pushing him back. He tried to run down the hall but Brax caught him.

“Just want to know want to know what possessed you to do that to April?” Brax questioned.

“Don’t know what you are talking about,” Pete said. “But that stepdaughter of yours is mighty fine too. Shame she was spoke for or I’d be after her too.” Pete laughed and Brax's nostrils flared, Heath knowing this happened when he was angered.

Brax swung his fist back landing a punch hard on Pete’s nose, blood immediately falling from it. Pete once again tried to run but Brax grabbed him and turned him to face Heath. “Give him all you’ve got.” Brax said and Heath grinned smugly before laying into Pete as Brax held him tightly, making sure he wasn’t going anywhere.

“Mum,” Ella screwed her face up as she walked out of the school and over to her mother. “Why are you here?” Ella questioned, confused as it was always Brax who picked her up on Wednesday.

“Dad had to pop out and do something with Uncle Heath.” Charlie answered as Noah came running out the school, smiling as he saw his mother.

“Mum,” Noah ran into her, giving her a hug. “What a surprise.”

“Hey bud,” Charlie ruffled his hair. “How was school?”

“Good,” Noah gave a little skip as they started walking back to the car, Toby running off in front of everyone. “Only three more weekends till we get the guinea pig.” Noah told his mother.

“What guinea pig?” Toby stopped in his tracks, waiting for an answer. Charlie pushed him forward as she walked into him. “We get’s a pet?”

“No,” Ella told him. “He is Noah’s classes pet. Our class doesn’t have one. It’s not fair.” Ella sulked. Although she liked being in a different class from her brother, she wished her Year 1 class would have had a pet too.

“You’ve got the fish tank in your room,” Noah said. “With the 5 fish.” Noah held up his hand.

“They don’t need to come home,” Ella opened the back of the car and threw her bag down onto the floor. “Don’t let him bring it mummy.” Ella climbed into the car before Noah and Toby got it.

“Yeah I want it,” Toby shouted as Charlie strapped him into his seat. “Get it.”

Charlie sighed as she shut the door before going round to the driver’s side. When Noah was due to look after the guinea pig, it would be her weekend with the kids. If it was Brax’s turn she’d happily let Noah bring it home, but, because it was her who would end up looking after it, she was hesitant. “So, do they expect parents to be okay with an animal coming to their home for a weekend?” Charlie questioned, looking into the rear view mirror at her son. Noah shrugged. “And are they just going to keep going through the register then when they get to the last name start at the beginning again?”

“No,” Noah answered. “We only get it once then it goes to Miss Fairbanks all the weekends and holidays,” Noah said. “She’s already got a rabbit and two guinea pigs so Fudge will be happy there.”

“I see.” Charlie gave a little nod as she pulled the car out into the road and started driving back to Brax’s place.

“Miss Fairbanks is the best teacher. She’s so cool.” It was Noah’s teachers first year teaching after qualifying. Another thing Ella wasn’t happy about as her teacher was almost at retiring age. She wanted a cool young teacher other than a woman old enough to be her grandmother.

“I don’t like Mrs West,” Ella frowned. “She’s old and rubbish.”

“Ella,” Charlie exhaled. “That’s not a nice thing to say about your teacher.”

“It’s true mummy.” Ella defended herself.

“Miss Green really funny,” Toby giggled, thinking about his Kindy teacher. “I likes her lots.”

“We had Miss Green in Kindy ay mum?” Noah questioned and Charlie gave a little nod as she turned the corner.

“Yeah you did.” Charlie answered continuing to drive the kids to Brax’s place, hoping that he’d be home by the time she got back with the kids and also, she hoped that he’d talked Heath out of doing anything stupid to Pete.

Ruby was in the diner, having ordered April a milkshake and a cake. “This for April?” Leah questioned and Ruby gave a little nod. “Don’t suppose she’s in the best place right now, poor thing.” Leah spoke quietly.

“No,” Ruby answered. “She uhm....I went round to see her this morning but she wanted to be left alone,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “But uhm, Bianca called me. She has to go get Katie from Kindy and April doesn’t want to be left alone but she won’t leave the house so I said I’ll go around.”

“That’s good of you,” Leah said boxing up the cake for her. “You’re a good friend to her.” Leah made a start to making the milkshake.

“Yeah,” Ruby gave a little smile. “We’re uhm, well April and are back together.” Ruby exhaled, feeling nervous all of a sudden.

“What?” Leah looked stunned. “But, you and Romeo....you’re....” Leah trailed off, a bit gobsmacked.

“I should never have married Romeo,” Ruby confided in Leah. “I thought....I thought April was out of my life for good. We broke up and she left...I...I guess I thought I needed to settle with someone and with Romeo it was....comfortable.”

“Aww Ruby,” Leah shook her head. “I do feel bad for Romeo but if you are going to be happier with April then who am I to judge?” Leah put the lid on the milkshake before picking up a straw and putting them down in front of Ruby. “Anyways, give April my love yeah?” Leah said and Ruby nodded before reaching for her wallet. “I don’t want any money.”

“Thanks.” Ruby picked up the milkshake and the box of cake and only hoped that April would want her around this time.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Forty-seven

“Thanks for coming around,” Bianca smiled as Ruby walked into the house. “I have to run but she’s in the bathroom.” Bianca said before grabbing her car keys and leaving the house. Ruby put the cake and milkshake up on the kitchen worktop before walking over to the bathroom. She took a deep breath before she knocked on the door.

“Sweets, it’s me,” Ruby said, pursing her lips together as she heard water running. She waiting a minute or two before the water turned off and she heard footsteps and the sounds of the bathroom lock opening before the door opened ever so slightly. Ruby pushed the door open and walked into the bathroom, seeing April wrapped in only a towel, a bubble bath having been run. “You want me to leave you to bathe?” Ruby questioned. April shook her head as she looked to the toilet. Ruby closed the bathroom door before walking over to the toilet, putting the lid down so she could sit down. April dropped her towel to the floor before getting into the bath, bringing her knees up to her chest and wrapping her arms tightly around them. “I brought you a shake and cake.” Ruby told her.

April gave a weak smile. “Strawberry?”

“Of course.” Ruby answered.

“Lemon drizzle?” April said.

“Yup,” Ruby nodded her head. “Wouldn’t dream of bringing you anything else,” Ruby gave her girlfriend a smile. “That looks really hot.” Ruby sounded a tad concerned as she saw the steam rising from the tub and April’s body was turning red with the heat.

“Hotter is better,” April answered. “I still feel like he is on me and I need to get rid of him.” April spoke quietly, not looking up at her girlfriend.

“April,” Ruby exhaled. “You -”

“Don’t try to tell me what I should and shouldn’t do,” April raised her voice. “This happened to me, not you so I am the only one who knows how I am feeling.” April rested her head against her knees, looking away from Ruby.

“Okay sorry,” Ruby bowed her head down sadly. “Maybe if you talked about it with me I could still try and help.” Ruby spoke carefully as she looked back in April’s direction.

“I just want to forget,” April sniffed back as she felt herself welling up with tears. “Talking about it won’t let me do that.” April looked back to Ruby and she felt her heart breaking at seeing her girlfriend look so broken, scared and helpless.

“Well,” Ruby pursed her lips together thinking talking about it probably would help her get through this quicker but she wasn’t going to push her when she clearly wasn’t ready. “If you change your mind then I’m here.” Ruby gave a smile and April managed a weak one back.

“I know.” April bit her lip, right now all she wanted to do was make herself feel clean again. The talking was something that would have to wait till later.

Charlie looked up as the door opened and Brax walked back into his house. “Finally,” Charlie exhaled. “What the hell took you so long?”

“Where are the kids?” Brax questioned, expecting them to be in the living room with their mother.

“Playing hide and seek,” Charlie told him, looking up to the ceiling, implying they were up the stairs. Brax gave a little nod as he ran his hand over his other one. “So did you talk him out of it?”

“Uhm,” Brax cleared his throat. “Not really.” Charlie exhaled, the look on her face letting Brax know she was waiting on an explanation of what ended up happening.

“You better tell me the truth the first time round,” Charlie shook her head, already knowing she wasn’t about to like what she heard. “Well, I am waiting.” Charlie folded her arms across her chest.

Brax took a deep breath. “It was Heath mainly,” Brax pursed his lips together. “I wasn’t going to do anything but then he said....” Brax paused. “He said he’d be after Ruby if she wasn’t married and I....I punch him.” Brax said, looking to Charlie to see she looked mad at him.

“I love that you’d protect Rubes, but...” Charlie shook her head. “Violence? I thought that Brax was well in the past.”

“He is,” Brax answered. “I just.....it made me mad that he would even joke about hurting someone in that way.”

“And Heath?” Charlie questioned. “Did you just stand there and watch because I’d imagine he threw a few punches too.”

“He did more than that,” Brax looked down, ashamed at what he’d just done. He played with his wedding ring finger as he told Charlie what happened, not able to look her in the eye. “He beat him good,” Brax said. “He really went for him. Kicks after kicks....” Brax exhaled.

“And you didn’t think to step in and control your brother?” Charlie questioned, looking up as she heard Toby squealing something at his sister, obviously upset at being found.

“I was too busy holding Pete so he couldn’t get away.” Brax spoke quietly as he looked away from Charlie, ashamed at what they had done to him.

Charlie sniggered. “Really Brax, I thought that you’d grew up, but you’re just....” Charlie held her hands out to the side. “Ah I’m going home,” Charlie walked over to the bottom of the stairs. “Daddy is home so mummy is going home. Love you and I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” Charlie shouted up to her kids. She heard a chorus of ‘love you too’s’ and ‘goodbyes’ before she turned around shaking her head at Brax as she walked passed him and out of the house.

“Where the hell have you been?” Bianca raised her voice as Heath walked into the house.

“Where’s April?” Heath questioned.

“In her room.” Bianca answered, walking closer to Heath.

“And Katie?” Heath asked, expecting to see his daughter in the living room with her mother.

“She’s in April’s room too.” Bianca answered.

“She’s not bothering her is she?” Heath asked.

“Do you think I’d let her stay in there if she was?” Bianca answered and Heath shook his head. “Now, you’ve avoided my question long enough. Where have you been?”

Heath exhaled as looked passed Bianca, unable to look her in the eye. “Went to pay Pete a visit.” Heath spoke quietly, April’s bedroom door being not too far away.

“You what?” Bianca questioned, her voice raising even higher.

“You heard me,” Heath answered. “Safe to say he won’t be hurting anyone else again.” Heath gave a sort of smug grin.

“What the hell have you done to him?” Bianca questioned, but she was actually a little scared for the answer.

“Nothing he didn’t deserve,” Heath replied. “He hurt my family and I don’t let anyone get away with that.”

“Heath,” Bianca shouted. “What did you do?”

“I beat him,” Heath said. “I beat him till he was cowering in a ball on the floor then I beat him some more,” Heath told her. “And don’t you tell me you wouldn’t have done the same if you were let loose on him after what he did to your sister.” Heath looked at her and waited on a reply but he was nervous for what about to come out of Bianca’s mouth.

Bianca pursed her lips together as she walked up to Heath and he flinched, expecting a slap across the face for his actions. He was surprised when Bianca’s hand softly rested against his cheek. She brought her mouth up to his ear. “I’d have killed him,” Bianca spat before moving back. “But that’s not the point,” Bianca looked furious at her husband. “We’re most likely about to go into a custody battle and you go and beat a guy up,” Bianca held one of her arms out to the side. “How could you be so stupid?”

“Well the police weren’t doing anything.” Heath replied.

“They’d have been working on it,” Bianca shouted. “As much as I love that you are sticking up for April I hate what you’ve done and if we lose Katie because of this....” Bianca trailed off as she shook her head. “We’re over.”

“What, babe, I was just.....I don’t want him getting away with this. He deserves to go to jail for what he did to your sister, he...”

“Yes jail,” Bianca shouted. “He should go to jail and suffer everyday for the rest of his life for what he did. Not end up in a morgue.” Bianca yelled, her face getting redder and redder, showing her temper at him. Bianca’s breathing was heavy as Heath stared at her for a moment before looking towards the door upon hearing the bell ring. Bianca marched over to it and yanked it open, her mouth opening a little as she saw Alice at the other side.

“I told you to never come back.” Heath spat at her.

“I want to talk, please.” Alice said. Bianca looked around to Heath before looking back to Alice. She knew she needed to let her talk. Refusing her wasn’t going to make her go away and it could end up just being worse on their part if it did come to a custody battle.

“You’ve got 5 minutes.” Bianca said dryly letting Alice into the house.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Forty-eight

Alice was standing by the cabinet, holiday a picture of Katie in her hands. It was a picture from her 4th birthday, Katie all smiles as she had cake frosting around her mouth. “She’s gorgeous,” Alice ran her hand over Katie’s face. “She looks really happy.”

“She is happy here with her parents.” Heath said, glaring hard at Alice. Alice pursed her lips together as she put the photo back in its place, picking up a picture of Rocco when he was around 4 months old.

“Do you have a son now?” Alice asked. “A little brother for Katie?”

Bianca walked forward and grabbed the photo from Alice, hugging it close to her chest for a moment before putting it back in its place. “My brother in heaven.” Alice turned her head as she heard the little voice appearing from April’s bedroom. She gasped as she saw her daughter from the first time in over three years.

“Katie you go to your room for a minute please.” Heath said, taking her hand and leading her away.

“Heath,” Alice’s voice sounded like she was pleading as she stepped closer to them. Heath looked to Bianca before looking back to Alice. He stopped walking and Alice bent down in front of Katie. “Hello, I’m Alice.” Alice said, holding her hand out.

“I’m Katelyn Amber Braxton.” Katie said stating her full name to the stranger as she shook her hand.

“I know.” Alice nodded. She was saddened to see the Taylor part had been left out, technically it was her official name as it was on her birth certificate, but she couldn’t really blame Heath for that either.

“You do?” Katie gasped, shocked that this stranger seemed to know her.

“I knew you when you were a baby.” Alice said, lightly rubbing Katie’s cheek with her hand.

“I want a baby sister but mummy said no,” Katie gave a little frown. “So I’ll get a kitty.” Katie gave a little jump of excitement.

“Heath.” Bianca said and Alice turned her head to face Bianca and gave a little nod, knowing what Bianca wanted.

“Well it was very nice meeting you Katie,” Alice rubbed her arm before she stood up, Heath walking Katie to her bedroom. “She’s lovely. You’ve done a great job with her.” Alice said and Bianca smiled.

“She’s my whole life.” Bianca answered.

Alice cleared her throat. “I’m sorry about your son,” Alice said. “Is eh...is that why you don’t....” Alice trailed off. “Is it too soon?”

“It was 5 and a half years ago,” Bianca told her. “Not that it’s any of your business and ehm....I am pregnant,” Bianca said. “We just haven’t told her yet, so she is getting a little sister. Well maybe not a sister but she getting a sibling. She’s happy here,” Bianca felt a tear rolling down her cheek. “She’s settled. She’s doing great in Kindy. She has friends and she loves playing with her cousins,” Bianca took a moment to compose herself. “Please don’t take her from the only mother she’s ever known.”

“Look I -” Alice started to talk but was cut off when Heath came back into the room.

“What’s her favourite colour?” Heath questioned, glaring at Alice. “What’s her favourite animal? Her favourite cartoon? How old was she when she took her first steps? When she learnt to go potty? Who’s her best friend from Kindy? What’s her favourite ice-cream flavour? Her favourite thing to go on at the park?” Heath spat. “Hmm?” Heath said after Alice just stared blankly at him.

“I don’t know.” Alice shook her head.

“Exactly so what makes you think you can come back here now and rip our little girl from us?” Heath questioned.

“You’ve got this all wrong,” Alice said looking from Heath to Bianca. “I don’t want to take her from you. You are her mother,” Alice said, keeping her gaze on Bianca. “I...” Alice pursed her lips together as she reached into her bag and pulled out some papers. “I thought maybe we should make it official.” Alice handed out the papers for Bianca to take. Bianca stepped forward and took them from her before looking down to them, shocked as she read over them.

Charlie was clearing the drinks away from the table as she saw Ruby walking into the restaurant. “Hey sweetie, you okay?” Charlie questioned as she walked back to the bar, Ruby walking beside her.

“Yeah.” Ruby sighed sadly as she jumped up on to the bar stool.

“Want to try again?” Charlie questioned. “Maybe sound a bit more convincing this time,” Charlie put the dirty glasses into the tray that would get taken through to the dishwasher when it was full. Ruby exhaled as she shrugged. “Look, Ruby,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “She’ll talk to you when she is ready.” Charlie guessed this is why Ruby wasn’t looking like her usual happy self.

“I know, I just....I wish I knew what to say to her when she is ready.” Ruby pursed her lips together as she looked up at her mother.

“It’ll come to you,” Charlie said walking around the bar and squeezing her daughters shoulder. “You loving her and just being there beside her is going to be enough.” Charlie said and Ruby managed a weak smile.

“Brax seems to think you are mad at him.” Ruby spoke tentatively as she changed the subject.

Charlie sniggered. “We’ll he’s got that right,” Charlie sat at the bar stool next to Ruby’s. “Just when things are going good for us as well.”

“This won’t change that, surely?” Ruby looked worried.

“Of course not,” Charlie answered. “But well....Pete’s most likely going to press charges against them and...” Charlie shook her head. “Well I’m not taking my kids to a prison.”

“It won’t come to that, surely?” Ruby questioned. “At least not for Brax. By what he told me Heath did most of it.”

“Brax was there, Brax held Pete back so he couldn’t get away. Heath may have been the one doing the beating but Brax is still as guilty,” Charlie ran her hand over the edge of the bar. “Let’s just hope they get a lenient judge,” Charlie said before jumping back down from the bar stool. “You had dinner?” Ruby shook her head. “Want a pizza?” Charlie questioned and Ruby gave a little nod.

“And uhm, can I stay at your place tonight?” Ruby questioned. “You know with Ella being in the bed I was using at Brax’s and it’s not an option to stay over at April’s right now so....” Ruby pursed her lips together.

“Of course,” Charlie nodded. “Get yourself a drink if you want one. I’ll go put in your pizza order.” Charlie said before disappearing through to the kitchen.

Bianca took a deep breath before she knocked on the door of April’s room. She heard a faint squeak, but she wasn’t sure if it was a ‘come in’ or ‘go away’. She clicked her tongue before walking into the room, seeing April lying in her bed. “Alright if I join you?” Bianca questioned.

“I suppose.” Came April’s quiet reply.

Bianca walked over to the bed and got into it, lying down and facing April. “They’ve arrested Pete.” Bianca told her, choosing to leave out the fact he was in hospital with 3 cracked ribs and a broken nose, but he still remained in police custody.

“Like that will make a difference. He’ll still deny it.” April said her voice still quiet.

“They have his DNA from the test they done on you,” Bianca said. “He can’t deny it,” Bianca reached forward and tentatively rubbed April’s arm. “He’ll get sent down for this.”

“And that’s going to make everything okay then, isn’t it?” April questioned. “I’m expected to feel great and forget about how violated and disgusting I feel because he’s going to be in jail.”

“Of course not,” Bianca answered. “But I know when Dean was arrested it did take one worry from my mind. He wouldn’t be out there about to do that again,” Bianca said, still rubbing April’s arm. “I know you still have a long way to go, but believe me, with the worry of Pete still being out there out of your mind, I think you’ll can start working through this.”

“Really?” April questioned as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Because I don’t even know how I’m supposed to do that,” April cried as Bianca pulled her sister closer to her, holding her in her arms as she cried. “How do you...how do you stop feeling so....” April continued to talk but Bianca could no longer make out what she was saying she was crying so heavily.

“Well we can start by letting it all out,” Bianca rubbed her sisters back as she held her. “Just let it all out, April.” Bianca said before staying silent, holding her little sister as she let the tears that needed to fall out.

Thanks for commenting.

Forty-nine

Charlie watched as Toby swung around the gate. Despite always being told off for this, almost every day without fail, Toby would swing around the school gate as he waited for his siblings. “Toby,” Charlie said trying to keep her voice calm. Toby looked up at his mother his body balanced along the top bar about to somersault under. “Remember when you fell of the wall at Kindy?”

“Yeah,” Toby answered. “My head broke open.”

“Well if you keep swinging on the gate you’ll fall off and break your head again.” Charlie told him and Toby widened his eyes before he jumped down and ran back over to his mother. Charlie smiled at herself as she ran her hand over his curls.

“Hey mum.” Charlie looked up as she saw Noah and Ella running out of the school gates.

“Hey,” Charlie smiled as each of them hugged and kissed her before they made their way back to the car. “You have a good day in school?”

“Was fine,” Noah sighed. “Did you bring my karate stuff cos it’s Thursday.”

“Yes I did.” Charlie answered.

“Mummy guess what?” Ella gave a little jump, excitement bubbling inside her.

“Oh I don’t know,” Charlie exhaled. “What?”

“No you’ve to guess.” Ella said skipping as they made their way back to the car.

“Uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “You got the gold star for hardest working pupil in your glass today?” Charlie questioned and Ella shook her head in reply. “You got invited to a birthday party?”

“Nope.” Ella answered.

“Eh,” Charlie rubbed her forehead. “You got a boyfriend?” Charlie gave a cheeky grin as she grabbed Ella by the sides and tickled her.

“No, no.” Ella giggled.

“Oh I give up,” Charlie exhaled, grabbing Toby’s arm as Noah pushed the button to cross the road, Charlie keeping a firm grip on Toby to make sure he didn’t run out in front of the passing cars. “You’ll have to tell me.”

“One Direction have a movie.” Ella screeched.

“Ah wow,” Charlie mocked excitement for her daughters benefit. “That’s cool huh?”

“Yeah,” Ella nodded. “Molly said she’s going on Saturday with her big cousin and her friends,” Ella told her mother, Charlie already knowing where this was going. “Will you take me?”

“We’ll see,” Charlie exhaled. “Molly’s cousin is about 20 years younger than me so I’m sure she’s a One Direction fan too.” Charlie said. She didn’t really want to sit through a One Direction movie. Ella had played their CD one too many times and Charlie couldn’t bear to think about sitting through a whole movie about them.

“No, she’s not 20,” Ella shook her head. “She’s 14.”

Charlie gave a little laugh at her daughter’s mistake. “Make that 21 years younger than you Charlie.” Charlie mumbled.

“What mummy?” Ella questioned.

“I said I’ll think about taking you on Sunday.” Charlie answered and Ella cheered as she jumped in the air as they crossed the road.

“I’m not going to One Direction.” Noah sighed.

“Me either.” Toby covered his ears with his hands. Even though Toby liked dancing to One Direction, right now with his big brother saying he didn’t want to go to One Direction, he was going to be the same.

“You boys don’t have to go.” Charlie said as she opened the car door and the kids piled in, Charlie strapping Toby into his car seat.

“I can do it,” Toby said as he unbuckled himself. “See.” Toby gave Charlie a cheeky grin.

“Don’t do that,” Charlie told him. “Mummy’s need to strap little kids in.” Charlie said bucking Toby back into his seat. Toby frowned before looking to his brother for confirmation.

“It’s true,” Noah nodded his head. “If we crash you would fall out and die.” Noah told him and Toby gasped in shock.

“Thanks Noah.” Charlie shook her head in amusement before closing the car door and walking around to the driver’s seat to drive Noah to his karate lessons.

“How was April today?” Brax questioned as he handed Ruby the coffee before sitting down at the table opposite her.

“Quiet,” Ruby answered. “But it’s only been a couple of days so....” Ruby shrugged a little before taking a drink of her coffee.

“Yeah it’ll probably take some time eh,” Brax said, before looking over to the door as the doorbell rang. He stood up and walked over to the door and wasn’t that surprised when he saw Georgie at the other side. “Sergeant.” Brax gave a little nod.

“Mr Braxton,” Georgie exhaled. “I’d like you to accompany me to the station.” Georgie said and Brax looked into the house, seeing Ruby walking over, having heard who it was.

“Sure,” Brax gave a little nod. “Just let me grab some shoes.” Brax said looking down to his bare feet for a second before he ran off up the stairs. Ruby stared at Georgie for a moment before talking.

“You know he deserved it.” Ruby said.

“Even so,” Georgie exhaled. “Brax has done something wrong and we can’t turn a blind eye. No matter what someone else may have done.”

“Did do,” Ruby raised her voice. “My girlfriend is in bits right now. You really think she is making this up?” Ruby almost yelled at Georgie.

“I can’t talk about this with you, Ruby.” Georgie told her, looking into the house a little as she heard Brax on the stairs.

“Can you call your mother?” Brax questioned. “Tell her I might be a little late for my shift so she might need to find cover for me.” Brax said and Ruby gave a little nod before Brax left with Georgie to go the station for questioning.

“So, you’re going to adopt her?” Charlie questioned handing Bianca her glass of apple juice as she sat down at the kitchen table.

“I don’t even need to think about it,” Bianca replied. “She already feels like no, sorry, she already is my daughter but, yeah,” Bianca nodded. “It’ll be nice to make it all official and you know Alice really will be out of the picture this way.” Charlie smiled before looking through the house, hearing the kids’ chatter. Hearing it wasn’t about to break into an argument, she looked back to her friend.

“That really is fantastic,” Charlie smiled. “You’ll be a proper little family now.”

“Yeah,” Bianca beamed as she ran her hand over her stomach. “Well if Heath doesn’t get arrested for what he did,” Bianca sounded angry at her husband. “I wish he just left it to the police.”

“Well they’re Braxton’s. Enough said,” Charlie sighed before taking a drink of her coffee. “Brax has been taken down to the station too,” Charlie exhaled. “Just had Rubes on the phone before you and Katie came here,” Charlie told her. “They’re both due to work tonight but it’s doubtful they will be there.”

“Oh, so what you going to do?” Bianca asked.

“Well Henry is going to come in to cover Heath but I can’t get anyone else,” Charlie exhaled. “One staff member is sick, on is on holiday, one won’t come in because it’s too short notice...” Charlie trailed off. “I’m going to need to go in myself,” Charlie answered. “And maybe find more reliable staff.” Charlie muttered.

“You need me to watch the kids?” Bianca questioned.

“Would you mind?” Charlie asked. “It would be a help. Ruby is needed at the diner and I was about to call Melanie to see if she was free tonight but if you’d be willing...”

“Yeah it’s fine,” Bianca replied. “Will keep me occupied and stop me thinking about how I married an idiot.” Bianca said and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“You want to take them back to your place?” Charlie questioned.

“Nah it’s easier if I stay here,” Bianca told her. “You don’t need to be moving 3 sleepy kids when you’re done with work,” Bianca exhaled. “I’ll just have the one to move so it’ll be easier.”

“What about April though?” Charlie asked. “Is she okay staying on her own?”

“No,” Bianca shook her head. “She doesn’t want to be alone but Adrian is in to see her right now so I’m sure she’ll stay if I ask her.”

“And she won’t mind you leaving her?” Charlie asked. “April wouldn’t prefer it if you were at home?”

“I think she’d prefer Adrian around than me,” Bianca answered. “Honestly, it’s fine.” Bianca told her and Charlie smiled at her friend before walking through to her room to get ready for work.

Thank you emmamurphy8, Sarah, Red Ranger 1, RoRo90, beebee and Spotd1. :wub:

Fifty

Brax knocked on the door of Charlie’s place. Both he and Heath had been questioned and later released, for now. He wasn’t sure what was happening with either of them yet but they had both right away been honest in what had happened, which Georgie told them always worked in their favour. “Brax, what are you doing here?” Charlie questioned, surprised to see him. It was a Saturday and her weekend with the kids and even though they were back together they hadn’t had any contact after Brax told Charlie what he’d done to Pete.

“I can’t come to see my wife?” Brax questioned, screwing his face up a little.

“Well yeah,” Charlie exhaled looking down slightly. “Uhm, you know what’s happening yet?”

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “But listen,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I wondered if it was okay with you, I could take Noah out today?”

“Uhm, sure,” Charlie looked a little confused. “Why?”

“Just thought we could do with a bit bonding, you know,” Brax exhaled. “And I can let him know I love you and won’t hurt you and....win his trust back.”

“Well I think that’s a good plan,” Charlie gave her husband a smile. “But you’ll have to take Ella out on Sunday for a special day.” Charlie told him.

“Sure I’ll take her surfing or something.” Brax said.

“You could take her to the movies,” Charlie suggested as a cheeky grin formed on her face. “There’s a film she wants to see.”

“Oh okay,” Brax nodded his head. “There a new Disney movie out?” Brax questioned.

“Something like that,” Charlie mumbled. “But eh, you should probably do something with Toby on Monday so he doesn’t feel left out of the special days,” Charlie said and Brax gave a little nod. “Noah.” Charlie shouted on her son and soon enough he was running into the kitchen.

“What mum?” Noah asked.

Charlie looked to Brax before looking back to Noah then once again, looking back to Brax, waiting for him to ask. “How would you like to come out with me today bud?” Brax questioned.

“Uhm...” Noah scratched the back of my head. “Just me and you?”

“Yep,” Brax gave a nod. “I thought we could have a special day. How does that sound?”

Noah gave a little smile, liking the idea of a special day. “Can I keep my pirate outfit on?” Noah questioned and Brax laughed as Charlie bit her lip to stop herself laughing.

“Sure you can.” Brax told him.

“Is it okay with you if I go?” Noah asked as he looked to his mother.

“Of course bud,” Charlie smiled. “You go out with your dad and have a good time.” Noah gave a little smile.

“I’ll just get my shoes.” Noah said before he ran through the house to his bedroom.

“Where’s Noah going?” Ella questioned, running into the kitchen, also in a pirates outfit as Toby followed, he to a pirate. “Dad, hey.” Ella ran over to him and jumped up as he lifted her into a hug.

“Dad is taking Noah out for the day.” Charlie answered as Brax was too busy giving his daughter a kiss to answer.

“Ah that’s not fair,” Ella pouted as Brax put her down. “Why don’t I get to go?”

“He’s taking you out tomorrow,” Charlie answered and Ella grinned at the news. “And you on Monday.” Charlie said, looking down at Toby and getting in before he could say anything.

“And you?” Toby questioned.

“No, just you and daddy.” Charlie told her youngest.

“No,” Toby squealed. “And you.” Toby said as he hit his hands against Charlie’s thigh.

“Right, mummy too.” Charlie said and Toby grinned before running back out of the room, just as Noah came back, ready to leave with his father for the day. He gave Charlie a hug and kiss before leaving the house with Brax.

Ruby and April were sitting on the couch at Bianca’s house. Apart from showering and eating it was the only time April had appeared out of her bedroom since the rape. “See it’s not so bad sitting out here, is it?” Ruby questioned, smiling lightly at her girlfriend. Even though April was wearing no make-up, her hair was tied back in a messy ponytail and she was wearing sweats and an old faded singlet, Ruby still thought she looked beautiful, she just had such a natural beauty.

April gave a little shrug. “I prefer my bedroom.” April mumbled.

“Sweets, I know this must be a hard time for you right now, but you can’t hide away forever.” Ruby spoke softly as she tentatively put her hand onto April’s arm.

“I don’t want to go outside,” April’s eyes misted over. “Not when...not when there are people like Pete out there.” April looked away from Ruby, looking terrified at the thought of leaving the house.

“April,” Ruby exhaled. “Pete’s in police custody. He won’t be able to hurt you again.” Ruby rubbed April’s arm, and April looked around to her girlfriend as she bit her lip, Ruby feel her pain as she saw a tear fall from her eye.

“Maybe not Pete but there are plenty more people capable of doing what he did out there,” April said as Ruby used her thumbs to wipe away April’s tears. ”I feel safe in my bedroom.” April mumbled.

“It won’t happen again,” Ruby shook her head. “Sweets you can’t let this beat you. You’re stronger than this.” Ruby rubbed April’s arm once again as she gave her an encouraging smile.

“No,” April shook her head. “I’m not. I’m not at all,” April cried. “And now it’s my fault Heath and Brax are in trouble with the cops.” April wiped tears from her face as she spoke.

“That is not your fault,” Ruby wrapped her arm around April and April rested her head against Ruby’s chest as more tears fell. “All this comes down to Pete,” Ruby said. “But he’s going to be sent away for a long time and Heath and Brax won’t get jailed for this,” Ruby tried to sound hopeful. “They’ll probably just get a warning.” Ruby said, rubbing April’s arm as she spoke.

“You really think so?” April sniffed back, feeling awful that they’d got in trouble for what they’d done to Pete.

“Mmm hmm.” Ruby murmured before placing a soft kiss on April’s head as she held her in her arms, hoping this was the start of April working through what happened.

Bianca, Heath and Katie were spending their Saturday at the beach. Heath was out having a surf and Bianca and Katie were building sandcastles. “There that lady.” Katie said pointing up Alice as she made her way over to them.

“Hi.” Alice stood a few feet away from them.

“Alice,” Bianca stood up and wiped sand from her shorts. “What do you want?” Bianca glanced at Katie who was still putting sand into her bucket.

“I just wanted to see if you’d thought about...you know, the other day.” Alice said looking to Katie and giving her a smile before looking back to Bianca.

“I don’t need to think about,” Bianca said walking down the beach a little and gesturing for Alice to come with her, but not walking to far away from Katie. “Of course I’d love to.”

Alice gave a weak smile as she watched her daughter for a while. She knew this was the best thing for Katie. “We can start the process then,” Alice told her. “I’m hoping to get back to America next week.”

“It might take a little longer than that.” Bianca didn’t really know how this worked but she imagined it wouldn’t just be as easy as signing some papers.

“Maybe for you but I don’t expect I’d need to be here. I mean she is with her father anyways,” Alice said. “I’ll do my part by signing her over to you and the rest is up to the adoption people.”

Bianca looked at Alice for a moment, seeing no sign of regret or her changing her mind at this decision. “How can you...” Bianca paused putting her hand over her stomach, thinking about her baby and how she couldn’t ever imagine giving her up. She thought about Rocco and how much she wished he was here with them now, but remembering how precious the time with your children is. “Everyday it’s hurts me that I’m not with my little boy. You have.....that little girl there is amazing and I don’t understand how you can....” Bianca trailed off.

“I just don’t think I was cut out for being a mother,” Alice answered. “The year she was with me I....she cried all the time. She was so grumpy and it felt like she wasn’t settled,” Alice exhaled. “I tried so hard to play with her and tried to make her smile and laugh but she was....maybe she was picking up on the fact that my heart wasn’t in it. And the end of the day she was a mistake and....” Alice trailed off as she pursed her lips together. “I have a life in America with a wonderful man. We have a big house. It practically all white inside and it’s clean and it’s not a place for a child to grow up in. We go to dinner parties and social events and can go on holiday to top quality resorts and not need to eat out at places with paper napkins and kids corners and children’s menu’s,” Alice exhaled. “You get me?” Alice said and Bianca shook her head.

“Being a mother is the best thing I’ve ever done and nothing else will top it.” Bianca said glancing down at Katie.

“Well some people are more motherly than others.” Alice exhaled.

“So then....why send the card?” Bianca asked. “It made it seem like you wanted her back.”

“I don’t know why I did that,” Alice exhaled. “Before I knew what I was doing I’d had it bought and sent. But I...when I look at her, I see a gorgeous, sweet little girl but,” Alice pursed her lips together. “She’s yours.” Alice said looking down at Katie as she ran across to them.

“Mummy I need a pee-pee.” Katie said as she put her hand in Bianca’s.

“Okay, mummy will take you,” Bianca felt a little emotional as she looked at Katie who smiled up at her, with her big brown eyes and cheeky little smile. How anyone could give away their child like that she would never understand. “I guess we’ll be in touch about things.” Bianca said before walking off the beach and up to the toilets with Katie.

Archived