Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thank you Sarah, Spotd1 and Red Ranger 1 for the comments. :)

One hundred and ninety-one

Ruby stretched in her bed before turning around, smiling as April lay next to her. She turned her body around and gently traced her fingertips over April’s bare shoulder. “Morning.” April opened her eyes and turn to lay the same way as her girlfriend.

“I love waking up next to you.” Ruby grinned as she moved April’s hair from in front of her face.

“Pretty sure we’ve woke up next to each other more than once.” April gave a little laugh.

“Well obviously,” Ruby exhaled. “I meant in our own place,” Ruby said, the smile still on her face. They’d moved into the apartment a week ago now. Their bedroom had already been decorated teal and chocolate colours before they moved in but they had been busy will school and work all week, so now, over the weekend they were going to paint the living room. They’d picked wallpaper for the feature wall that was a duck egg blue with white flower detail on it, the rest of the walls and the walls through to the kitchen being a simple off white colour. “Don’t you like it?”

“Of course,” April smiled before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. “So what time is your dad coming around to hang the wallpaper?”

“Around 11.” Ruby answered and April turned to look at her bedside clock seeing it was almost quarter past 8.

“Ah so we still have plenty time.” April raised her eyebrows before shuffling a little closer to Ruby, bring her hand over her and resting it on her back before placing another kiss on her lips.

“Not really,” Ruby shook her head. “We should probably start painting the other walls.” April frowned a little. She’d much rather stay in bed with her girlfriend than paint some walls. “Don’t look too excited about making this place our own.” Ruby mumbled.

“Of course I am excited,” April replied. “I’d rather just spend the day in bed with you.” April grinned suggestively.

“Well paint your little socks off today and tomorrow we’ll do just that,” Ruby told her, pulling her in for another kiss. “C’mon,” Ruby pulled back

and got up and out of the bed. She pulled her singlet off and threw it down on the bed before walking over to the drawers opening the first one and taking out a bra and putting it on before she changed her panties. She walked over to the wardrobe and took out her sweats before getting and old t-shirt and putting it on. She turned to face April who was still lying in bed, watching her girlfriend. “Get up.” Ruby demanded.

“Alright,” April sighed as she sat up in the bed. “If you are going to be this demanding I’ll think twice about become Mrs Scott-Buckton.” April joked.

“Just get dressed so we can start painting,” Ruby said as she pulled her hair back into a loose ponytail before walking towards the door of the bedroom, stepping out to the hallway. “And it’s Buckton-Scott.” Ruby shouted back to her girlfriend as she made her way down the hall towards the living room.

Heath and Bianca had decided to make the bedroom a surprise for Darcy in the end. Heath had been around for the last couple of days during the hours when Darcy was in school. Today being Saturday, Heath waited until Darcy went out with Nina before coming around to do the finishing touches to the bedroom. He rubbed down the last silver swirl stencil on the lilac coloured wall, the other three being almost white, with just a tint of lilac colouring to it. He pulled the paper back, leaving on the wall the stencil transfer. “Done.” Heath smiled as he looked to Bianca. Bianca looked around the room, happy with how it had turned out.

“It looks really different,” Bianca observed. “April’s room was so red, it’s....it’s a nice change though, right?”

“I’d say so,” Heath replied. “Although I’m not going to spend 3 days on a bedroom then say it’s rubbish.” Heath gave a little chuckle as Katie came running into the room, a cat hanging from under each arm.

“Katelyn.” Bianca raised her eyebrows and Katie dropped the kittens to the floor, the both of them landing on their feet before running further into the room, Flynn jumping up onto the bed as Lola pulled at the curtains.

“God when did she become so rough with those poor kittens?” Heath said, lifting Flynn off the bed. Flynn looked up to Heath before jumping right back up again.

“She doesn’t mean it,” Bianca once again lifted Flynn from the bed. She didn’t want him getting cat hair over the freshly made bed. Bianca rubbed her hand over Flynn’s back, the kitten purring in satisfaction. “She just gets excited around them,” Bianca looked at Katie who was teasing Lola with a little ball with a bell inside. “What do you think of the room, pumpkin?”

Katie looked around the newly decorated room as she rubbed the side of her head. “It’s nice,” Kate grinned. “Is it my new bedroom?”

“Nah,” Heath answered. “It’s for Darcy.”

“Oh,” Katie climbed up onto the bed. “I like sharing with her.”

“Well now Auntie April has moved out you don’t need to share,” Heath told his daughter. “You can have your own space again.”

“I said I liked sharing,” Katie sighed. “But maybe sometimes I could sleepover in here, eh?” Katie scratched the back of her head.

“Well I guess,” Bianca gave a little shrug. “So you think Darce will like this room?”

“Oh yes,” Katie nodded, full of enthusiasm about the new look the room had. “It’s so nice for Darcy.”

“Good,” Heath smiled, looking down as Lola rubbed up against his leg as she purred. He screwed his face up before looking back to Bianca. “So, I guess we are finished here so uhm...I should leave?” Heaths said questioningly.

“I was thinking of taking the girls to the park,” Bianca answered. “If uhm....” Bianca pursed her lips. She liked painting the room with him over the last few days. There was no talk about them trying again or anything along those lines. They’d just talk about normal things. “You could come if you have nothing else to do.”

Heath tried to stay cool but a big grin was already flashing across his face. “I’d love too,” Heath replied. “You want daddy to come, pumpkin?”

“Oh yes,” Katie cheered as she jumped of the bed. “I’ll go wake Freya.” Katie said disappearing from the room.

“No no, don’t wake Freya.” Bianca ran out after Katie, Flynn still in her arms as Lola ran out the room behind them. Heath gave a little chuckle

before straightening out the bed sheet and leaving room, glad to be spending more time with Bianca.

“Mummy,” Toby ran into the room in his Spiderman outfit. “How come why we are home?”

“Because mummy is too lazy to take the four of you out,” Charlie answered and Toby looked a little perplexed by her truthfulness.

“We could go help daddy and Ruby and April,” Noah suggested. “I like to paint.”

“Yes but if all three of you went to paint it would just end up being more of a mess than a help, really,” Charlie mumbled. “How about you draw some pictures for Ruby and April?” Charlie suggested. “They could decorate their kitchen with them.”

“Yeah,” Ella screeched. “I’ll get the paper and crayons.” Ella disappeared out of the living room and Charlie could hear her thumping up the stairs.

“Can I draw them...uhm.....” Toby scratched the side of his head. “Uhm....a shark?” Toby wondered. “With uhm 6 legs?” Toby gave a little

giggle.

“I wasn’t aware sharks had legs, never mind 6,” Charlie muttered. “But sure,” Charlie told her son. “Draw them whatever you want.”

“I’m going to draw them...” Noah looked deep in though. “I don’t know yet.” Noah shook his head before picking up the little turtle teddy of Luca’s and waving it in his face as he lay on the play mat. Luca gurgled in delight as he kicked his legs and waved his arms.

“But mummy,” Toby leaned himself against her as she sat on the floor, her back leaning against the couch. “What will we do after our drawings?”

“Probably take Rolo for a walk.” Charlie told her son, Rolo looking over to them as he heard his name being mentioned.

“Then what?” Toby wondered, his face right up close to his mothers.

“I don’t know, Toby,” Charlie pushed him back a little. “Why do we need to have the whole day planned?” Charlie asked. “Just chill out buddy.”

“No no,” Toby shook his head. “We will play Spideyman,” Toby said before he started running around the room in circles, Charlie shaking her head at her son’s apparent continuous supply of energy.

“Oh, I know,” Noah smiled up at his mother. “I could draw Ruby Rolo cos she won’t see him every day now,” Noah’s face lit up at his idea. “That’s good huh?”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled at her eldest son. “I’m sure she’ll love a picture of Rolo.”

“Well I will draw flowers,” Ella said as she marched back into the room, the paper and crayons in her hands. “Everyone loves flowers, so there.” Ella stuck her tongue out at her brothers.

“Uh-uh,” Toby continued to run around the room. “Flowers are for stupid girls.”

“Girls aren’t stupid,” Ella gasped. “You is cos you can't read yet.”

“You can’t proper do it either,” Toby stuck his tongue out at Ella. “And you is in proper school. I’m only in Kindy.”

“Yeah well I -” Ella started, her head moving in sassiness.

“Right you two that’s enough,” Charlie stepped in before it turned out of hand. “Sit down quietly and draw your pictures, quietly.” Charlie said the word again to emphasis she was hoping for some quiet time. Ella frowned as Toby stuck his tongue out at her again before they all sat down to draw and were a least quiet for now.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. :)

One hundred and ninety-two

April poured the hot water into the mug before carrying them over to the breakfast bar, where Brax was standing, leaning himself down against it. “Thanks,” Brax lifted up his cup, taking a drink of his coffee. “Trouble in paradise?” Brax gestured to April’s hand as it was wrapped around the mug, seeing she didn’t have her engagement ring on.

“What?” April looked a little confused. “Oh, no,” April shook her head upon seeing where Brax was looking. “I just didn’t want to get paint on it.”

“Fair enough,” Brax replied. “So what’s it like living with Rubes all the time?” Brax questioned. “Still want to be Mrs Ruby Buckton?” Brax wondered. April gave a little smile. “You can answer. She’s not in right now.” Brax laughed, Ruby having gone out to get them some lunch from the diner.

“Of course I do,” April answered. “It’s been....well we are together 24/7 so it’s been more testing but right now I think we are still in that new fresh honeymoon period of living together so,” April gave a little shrug. “Anyways, you’ve lived with her for years. You already know what she’s like to live with.”

“True,” Brax gave another laugh. “And good luck to you is all I will say.”

“She’s not hard to live with,” April replied before taking a drink of her coffee. “So the wallpaper looks really nice when it’s up, huh?” April gestured out the feature wall.

“It does,” Brax nodded. “And it’s been ever so expertly hung.” Brax gave a cheeky grin.

April rolled her eyes. “You would think that considering you put it up,” April said. “I think the best job done is the white walls though.”

“What?” Brax gasped mockingly. “Luca and Freya could do a better job of painting that you two did.”

“Oh of course,” April replied. “Can’t hold their own heads up but they can paint a house.” April and Brax both chuckled before they took a drink of their coffee.

“So you and Rubes started planning the wedding then?” Brax wondered.

“Not really,” April told him. “Well Dex is going to be my maid of honour and I think Rubes will probably have Adrian as hers but that’s as far as we’ve got.”

“Dex as the maid of honour eh?” Brax said. “You going to make him wear a dress?” Brax laughed at the though.

“Then all eyes would be on the dude in the dress,” April said. “I believe my day is supposed to be all out me.”

“And the girl you are marrying?” Brax questioned.

April scrunched her face a little. “I guess.” April murmured.

“So this will probably be a stupid question but do you reckon you’ll ask your mother?” Brax wondered.

“I’m not even going to answer that,” April replied. “It’s just like asking if Rubes would bring Grant,” April said. “Or well, maybe not quiet but, you know what I mean,” April scratched the back of her head. “Besides Bianca is the only family I want and need there.”

“Well I’m afraid you’ll have more family than that there,” Brax told her. “You’ll have your new wife, mother-in-law, 3 brother-in-laws, a sister-in-law and of course a father-in-law,” Brax gestured to himself. “And if you ever need anything then you just need to come to me. The door is always open. So to speak.” April gave him a thankful smile.

“Thanks, I appreciate that,” April exhaled. “Brax do you think...” April pursed her lips. “Do you think Bianca would be okay with me having Heath walk me down the aisle?”

“You want Heath to do that?” Brax looked a little surprised.

“Well he’s the closest thing I have to a father,” April said. “I know you’ve been around for me too but your Ruby’s father and I think she...” April trailed off, not wanting to say something before Ruby had asked. “Heath’s a good guy and I think I’d like him to do it but I’m not sure how Bianca would feel. I’m not sure she’ll even want him at the wedding.”

“I think she’d just want you to have the day the way you wanted,” Brax told her. “But, there’s only one way to find out.” April bit her lip before giving a little nod, knowing that the only way she would find out would be by asking Bianca herself.

“You’re late.” Heath stood up from the couch, glad to see Darcy back safely from being out with Nina.

“By like 20 minutes.” Darcy sighed as she looked to her watch.

“Just don’t let it happen again, yeah?” Bianca told her.

“Sorry,” Darcy said. “We missed the bus so had to wait for the next one.”

“The bus?” Heath questioned. “Where have you been like?”

“We went to the mall in Yabbie Creek.” Darcy answered.

“You said she could take the bus on her own?” Heath turned to face Bianca, not looking impressed.

“It’s a 15 minute bus ride,” Bianca replied. “And it’s not like they went to the centre of Sydney. It was only Yabbie Creek.”

“Hmmm,” Heath rubbed his head. “Well let us know you are going to be late the next time, okay?”

“And how can I do that?” Darcy replied. “It’s not like I have a mobile is it?” Darcy retorted.

“You could have borrowed Nina’s.” Bianca suggested.

“I don’t know your numbers,” Darcy replied. “But if you get me a phone I’d have your numbers in there and could have called.”

“You’re not getting a phone,” Heath said. “I....we promised your mother we’d wait till you were 14 like she wished.”

“Yeah well newsflash, dad,” Darcy sighed. “Mum isn’t here so she’s not going to know, is she?” Darcy folded her arms across her chest as she glared at Bianca and Heath.

“It doesn’t matter,” Bianca told her. “We are respecting your mothers wishes.”

Darcy sighed angrily. “I’m going to my room.” Darcy said marching over to the door of Katie’s room and going inside.

“Darcy no,” Katie looked up from where she was playing with the kittens. “This not yours now,” Katie told her jumping up and running out of the room. Darcy looked around to see all of her stuff was gone and rubbed the back of her head in confusion before walking back out, staring at her father and Bianca. “In here.” Katie opened the door to April’s room and Darcy walked in as Bianca and Heath walked across to join them.

Darcy gasped, open mouthed as she looked around the room. “You really did this for me?” Darcy questioned looking round to Heath and Bianca who were nodding in reply. “I love it,” Darcy grinned, seeing she had a new laptop sitting on the desk and a TV//DVD player on the wall facing her bed. “You got me a laptop?” Darcy ran over to it, running her hand over the top before opening it.

“Well you’re a high school student now so you can do your research on there, type up essays.” Bianca told her.

“Cool,” Darcy replied. “I’m going to get Facebook.”

“No no,” Heath shook his head. “No Facebook.”

Darcy sighed. “Are you not going to let me do anything teenagers want to do?” Darcy questioned.

“I’m only following your mothers wishes.” Bianca told her and Darcy sighed, running her hand over the pendant locket from her late mother.

“Yeah well you are the mum now,” Darcy told her. “It’s up to you to make the rules.”

“Okay, well, they are still the same rules,” Bianca told her. “No mobile or Facebook just yet.” Bianca said and Darcy sighed.

“Well I still think that sucks,” Darcy said. “But I love this room,” Darcy gave a little jump before she ran over to them, hugging them both, one arm wrapped around each. “Thank you so much.”

“You are very welcome.” Bianca rubbed her back.

“Darcy, Darcy,” Katie pulled on her t-shirt and Darcy looked down to her. “Can I sleepover tonight?”

“Uhm, we’ll see.” Darcy sighed. She was looking forward to having a room of her own again.

“Kay,” Katie pouted sadly before looking up to Heath. “Daddy I am hungry.”

“Oh yeah?” Heath lifted Katie up into his arms. “How about daddy treats his girls to pizza at the restaurant?”

“Yeah,” Katie screeched, clearly loving the idea. “With mummy to, ay?”

“Mummy is one of my girls.” Heath replied looking to Bianca with a smile on his face. Bianca returned the smile before giving a little nod.

“Yeah mummy is coming too sweetie,” Bianca rubbed Katie’s back. “I’ll feed Freya her bottle first then we’ll go, how does that sound?”

“Okay but hurry with Freya cos I is so hungry.” Katie hit her tummy as she remained in Heath’s arms.

“I will,” Bianca answered. “Darce can you feed the kittens please.” Bianca questioned and Darcy nodded before leaving the room, followed by Bianca then Heath with Katie.

Thanks for the comments. :)

This chapter forwards around a month in time.

One hundred and ninety-three

Brax put the key in the slot, opening the door of the room. The kids pushed passed and ran in before him, before he stood back against the door letting Charlie walk in who was cradling a sleeping Luca in her arms. Brax dragged the suitcase and pram in before leaning them against the wall, looking around the room, laughing as Ella and Toby were jumping on the king sized bed. “That’s mine and mummy’s bed,” Brax said. “Go jump on your own beds.”

The kids jumped off and ran through the already open adjoining room door. Charlie and Brax walked in after them, seeing the two queen beds and the cot for Luca in the corner. “Wow, can I get one to myself?” Toby jumped up on one of the beds and started jumping around.

“No,” Charlie said as she put Luca down in the cot. “You and Noah will share and Ella gets her own.”

“Why?” Toby frowned.

“Cos I am the girl,” Ella stuck her tongue out at Toby as she joined him in jumping on the bed. “So ha ha ha.”

Toby scowled as he pushed Ella, resulting in her falling back on the bed. He jumped down, his knee’s hitting Ella’s sides as his arms went around her body, Ella screaming at him to get off her. “Ella doesn’t wrestle,” Brax lifted Toby from his sister, Toby kicking his legs out as he was in the air. “Can’t you just sit quietly for a minute?” Brax wondered, seeing Noah had already sat on the chair in the corner of the room, like he was waiting for permission before doing anything. “Behave like your big brother. You used to copy everything he did; can’t you go back to doing that?”

“No, dad,” Noah shrieked. “Don’t tell him to copy me again.”

“See, he no want me too,” Toby sighed. “Can I wrestle Luca?”

“No you can’t wrestle your 4 month old brother,” Charlie told him. “Why don’t we go out to see the city?”Charlie questioned. “We’ll take you kids on the tram.”

“Can you buy gummy worms in Melburn?” Toby wondered.

“I’m sure you can.” Brax told him, Toby grinning from his father’s grasp.

“Can we go to the zoo?” Noah questioned.

“Yeah,” Ella and Toby both screeched, clearly liking Noah’s question.

“You guys are obsessed with the zoo,” Charlie sighed. “Let’s do something different.”

“The aquarium?” Ella suggested and Charlie and Brax glanced at each other before giving a little laugh. Their kids sure did love to see the animals.

“No,” Brax said. “How about we go to the old Melbourne gaol?” Brax questioned. “Can see where all the baddies used to stay,” Brax said. “And you will need to be on your best behaviour otherwise they might lock you up in a cell.” Brax looked to Toby as he spoke. Toby opened his mouth in an O shape as he put his hands on his cheeks.

“What about....like uhm.....” Ella scratched the side of her head. “A fun park place.”

“We could take them to Luna Park,” Charlie said as she looked to Brax.

The twins looked at each other and both lit up as they jumped in the air. “Yeah.”

“No no,” Toby said. “I want to go to the cells daddy.” Toby repeatedly hit Brax’s shoulder. “Daddy take me to the cells.”

“I’m sure we have time to do both,” Charlie said lifting Luca back into her arms. “We have all weekend.”

“No no,” Ella shook her head. “Remember we have One Direction tomorrow night mummy.”

“Oh yes, I am not going to forget that petal,” Charlie said as she looked at Brax who was chuckling in amusement at Charlie having to go see One Direction. “Shut it,” Charlie mouthed to him. “It’s not too late for me to make you go.” Charlie said and that immediately shut Brax up as they left to go out in the city.

Heath and Bianca had been getting closer over the last month and had been out on a handful of dates and had spent a few times out as a family with the kids, Katie and Darcy having been told that they were working very hard to see if Heath would be able to move home. They’d just been out for a meal together and now Heath was walking Bianca home. Heath was a little surprised but welcome the fact that Bianca took his hand in hers, holding it tightly as they made their way back to her place. “Heath, I...” Bianca pursed her lips. “I’ve really liked having some time apart from you.”

“Really?” Heath questioned. “I’ve pretty much hated every minute of it.”

“I really think us taking this break was the best thing that could have happened for us,” Bianca said. “We both did things we’re not proud of and I know I certainly needed time to get over what you did and I think....I think we could be stronger that even again soon.”

Heath gave a little smile as he stopped outside of the house. “So does this mean you want me home?”

“I still think we need to work through more things first,” Bianca told him. “But, I know I want to be with you forever,” Bianca gave a little smile as Heath broke into a huge grin. She looked into his eyes and felt her knees weaken at the love she had for him. “I just....I don’t want us to rush back into you coming home. Especially for the sake of the girls.”

“I understand,” Heath answered, feeling her wedding rings against his hand. “And maybe the fact you never took these off,” Heath brought her hand up and looked to the rings. “Maybe that should have let me see you’d never fully given up on us.”

Bianca exhaled as she looked to her rings. “It would mean I thought we didn’t have a chance and I....I never thought that.” Bianca said and Heath gave a little smile before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“I love you so much.” Heath told her before they kissed again, the kiss becoming a little more intense as Bianca wrapped her arms around Heath’s neck.

“Do ehm,” Bianca pulled back. “Do you want to come in?” Bianca bit her lip at her question.

“If you want me to I’d love to,” Heath answered. “If it’s not going to confuse the girls.”

“Darcy is sleeping over at Nina’s and the little two are at April’s for the night,” Bianca told him. “So they won’t even know to be able to get confused.” Heath smiled before placing another kiss on her lips before Bianca unlocked the door, pulling Heath into the house after her.

Adrian had popped up to April and Ruby’s place with a bottle of wine and talk quickly turned to the upcoming commitment ceremony which they’d booked for only two weeks time. “It just all happened so quick. One day you were telling me you’d arranged nothing and the next it was pretty much all done.” Adrian said.

“Well we just want to share our love with our families and closest friends,” April said, her hand rubbing Ruby’s thigh. “Isn’t that right, babe?”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded her head. “I can’t wait to make her Mrs Buckton-Scott.”

“Buckton-Scott huh?” Adrian said. “So did you win the name war?”

“That’s what she likes to think,” April said. “We’ve still to agree but I usually get my way in the end, huh baby?” April raised her eyebrows as she stared Ruby in the eyes.

“Well that just means it’s my turn,” Ruby replied before looking beyond April as Katie walked down the hallway, rubbing her tired eyes. “You alright pumpkin?”

Katie shook her head as she climbed up onto the couch, sitting herself half on Ruby’s knee and half on April’s. “I can’t sleep,” Katie moved her hair from her face. “Oh Auntie April,” Katie gasped as she saw the three glasses of wine. “Is you and Auntie Ruby got wine?” Katie turned her head to look up at April. “Mummy said no too cos you have me.”

“Yeah and I’m sure mummy and daddy haven’t ever had a sly little drink while you are in bed,” April muttered and Katie scrunched her face up a little. “We are just having a little drink to celebrate our up and coming wedding.” April said and Katie gasped.

“A celebration,” Katie clasped her hands. “Where’s mines?”

“You’ll get one in thirteen years time.” Adrian told her before taking a drink of her wine.

“Is you coming to the wedding Adrian?” Katie questioned, staring intently at the woman.

“I am,” Adrian nodded. “I’m technically in the wedding,” Adrian told her. “I’m Rubes maid of honour.” Adrian smiled, excited at her role.

“Who is Aprils?” Katie wondered, looking from Adrian to April and back to Adrian again.

“Dex,” Adrian told her. “You know Dex, right?”

“Yeah,” Katie nodded. “He can be silly,” Katie gave a little giggle. “Is I your wedding?” Katie said looking around to Ruby.

“Of course you are pumpkin,” Ruby rubbed Katie’s cheek. “You are going to be a flower girl with Ella.”

“Do I wear a pretty dress?” Katie wondered.

“Oh yeah,” Ruby nodded. “Don’t you remember the dress you and Ella tried on last week?” Ruby said and Katie scratched the side of her head before nodding.

“I do, I do,” Katie screeched. “It was so pretty.”

“Yeah well that’s what you get to wear at the wedding.” April said, speaking into her neck as she rubbed her sides.

“What bout Darcy?” Katie questioned. “She didn’t put dresses on with us.”

“She’ll be a bridesmaid so she’ll wear what Adrian is wearing.” Ruby said as she moved some hair that had fallen back onto Katie’s face.

“But Dex can’t wear a dress, he’s not a girl.” Katie said.

Adrian laughed at the thought of her boyfriend in a dress. “That would be funny, wouldn’t it?” Adrian questioned and Katie nodded as she yawned.

“Right you,” Ruby stood up, lifting Katie into her arms. “I’ll take you back to bed.” Ruby said as she walked down towards the bedroom with her.

“So,” Adrian took another drink of her wine. “Are you two going to write your own vows?” Adrian wondered.

April nodded as she swallowed her mouthful of wine. “Oh yeah,” April nodded. “I can’t wait for this, Adrian,” April exhaled. “I’ve been dreaming of marrying Ruby since I was like 16,” April told her friend. “I just can’t believe I actually got her to give dating me a chance.”

“Well considering you’ve been together 4 years and are about to commit to each other for life I’m sure you weren’t such a bad choice of date.” Adrian said and April smiled as she glanced at her engagement ring. She knew this commitment ceremony was going to be a symbol of their eternal love for one another but deep down, she did feel herself wishing that one day, they could have a proper legal wedding day.

Thank you Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments. :)

One hundred and ninety-four

Charlie switched off the bathroom light and walked down to the balcony doors, walking outside and sitting at the table next to Brax as he looked out onto the city. “Not the nicest balcony view we’ve ever had, eh?” Brax gave a little chuckle.

“Well we are bang smack in the middle of a city. What do you expect?” Charlie questioned.

“Fair enough,” Brax mumbled. “So, Ella’s already excited for tomorrow night huh?” Brax said. “She’s going to be hyper all day tomorrow.”

“I know,” Charlie rolled her eyes. “What you going to do with the boys?” Charlie questioned.

“I was thinking the movies but it’s probably not wise to take a 4 month there, eh?” Brax rubbed the back of his head.

Charlie gave a little shrug. “Not like Luca ever cries.”

“I guess not,” Brax exhaled. “But still, I think we’ll just go out for dinner then come back to the room. We can get a movie on the TV. Get some popcorn and soda. Will be just like our very own private little movie theatre.”

“I’m sure the boys will like that just as much,” Charlie smiled. “So, I was thinking tomorrow we could go up to the observation deck at Eureka Tower,” Charlie said. “I think Tobes would love to stand on the glass floor there.” Charlie yawned.

“I think you are right,” Brax replied. “Sounds good though. We can do that in the morning,” Brax said. “Then keep Ella from giving herself a heart attack for the rest of the afternoon.” Brax laughed.

“Well it’s a big deal for her really,” Charlie said. “I’d be stoked if my mother had taken me to see my favourite band when I was little,” Charlie gave a little smile. “And as much as I’m not looking forward to hearing One Direction for a couple of hours I am looking forward to seeing Ella so excited and happy.”

“Yeah, she’ll love it,” Brax agreed before shivering a little. “It’s getting a little chilly out here; you want to head back in?” Brax gestured back into the hotel room and Charlie gave a little nod as she stood up and walked in, Brax following her inside. He closed the balcony door and wrapped his arm around Charlie’s waist from behind as he placed a soft kiss on her neck.

“Mmm Brax,” Charlie exhaled as she turned around to face him. “I uhm...” Charlie pursed her lips, knowing what Brax was trying to initiate. “I don’t want to.”

Brax sighed as he pulled himself back. “Charlie it’s been over a month.”

“Well you know I am going through changes.” Charlie replied.

“Still?” Brax sniggered, sounding like he didn’t believe her.

“Well it doesn’t just happen overnight,” Charlie snapped. “I told you this might happen. And I am sorry but I can’t change the way I feel.”

“If you really feel it.” Brax mumbled.

“So you think I am making it up?” Charlie screwed her face up.

“Well maybe you just feel a little conscious because you have that scar now.” Brax said, pointing to her stomach.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I still undress around you so clearly it’s doesn’t bother me that I have the scar and I already have my C-section scar so it’s not like another little scar would make me feel self conscious,” Charlie sighed. “It really is just me feeling.....meh as I’m going through changes.”

“Maybe sex would make you feel good again.” Brax suggested and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“I’m sorry but,” Charlie pursed her lips as she shook her head. “The thought of sex right now....” Charlie screwed her face up.

Brax sighed lightly shaking his head at his wife as his hands were on his hips. “Well then I guess its bedtime.” Brax mumbled before walking to the bathroom, the door slamming shut behind him.

Bianca tied Katie’s panda balloon to the buggy, before they continued their walk around the zoo. Heath and Bianca had decided to take the girls there for the day so they could have a nice family day out. “Why do you not get a balloon?” Katie questioned as she took Darcy’s hand.

“Because I’m not a little kid,” Darcy replied. “But your panda is pretty cool.”

“Yeah,” Katie gave a little skip as they walked in the direction of the giraffe enclosure. “You think I’ll see a panda here?” Katie questioned and Darcy gave a little shrug as she looked to Bianca.

“Uhm, I don’t think they have pandas in this zoo pumpkin.” Bianca answered and Katie pouted sadly.

“So why sell panda balloons?” Heath questioned.

“I don’t think the animal balloons indicate what animal’s are in the zoo dear,” Bianca patted Heath’s arm as they were walking. “Anyway sweetie, I’m sure you’ll still see lots of cool animals,” Bianca looked back down to Katie. “See look at them.” They all stopped walking as looked out to the giraffes.

“This was mum’s favourite,” Darcy held her pendant as she spoke. “When we were in Kenya on the safari all she wanted to do was look for giraffe’s,” Darcy smiled weakly as she looked out to the animal. “She thought they were so graceful.”

“They are,” Bianca rubbed Darcy’s shoulder. “What was your favourite?”

“I like the cheetah’s,” Darcy answered. “Especially the little cubs that we saw but the giraffes were one of my favourites too.”

“What about that baby giraffe?” Katie pointed out to the young calf as it was walking close to its mother.

“Yeah it’s cute,” Darcy smiled down at Katie, Katie’s big brown eyes all wide as she looked out to the giraffes. Darcy looked back up to her dad and Bianca and smiled as she saw Heath had his arm around Bainca’s waist, Bianca not pulling away. “Can I lift Freya out the buggy?”

“Sure.” Bianca gave a little nod and Darcy unclipped her baby sister and lifted her into her arms, Freya’s little legs kicking as she brought her close to her.

“Look at the giraffes Freya,” Darcy cooed. “How cool are they?” Darcy questioned. Freya gave a little babble as she took one of Darcy’s plaited bunches into her hand, grasping it tightly.

“I think she’s more interested in your hair,” Heath chuckled as he looked to his daughters. “Princess Freya you are supposed to look at the animals.” Heath rubbed her cheek with his finger, trying to get her to look to the side but she was staring intently at Darcy’s hair.

“Oh maybe she no like the giraffes,” Katie sighed. “We take her somewhere else,” Katie put her hands on the bars of the buggy, not quiet able to reach the handles without tiptoeing. “Let’s go.” Katie started pushing the buggy as she quickly walked away from the giraffes, Darcy walking off to catch up with her.

Bianca gave a little chuckle before looking around to Heath. She smiled as she looked deep into his eyes, her smile only growing. “What?” Heath questioned.

“Nothing,” Bianca shook her head a little before placing a soft kiss on Heath’s lips. “Let’s catch up with the girls.” Bianca linked her hand with his before they walked off together to continue their visit to the zoo with their daughters.

April walked back into the apartment she shared with Ruby. “Baby.” April shouted out seeing Ruby wasn’t in the living room or kitchen area.

“In the bedroom.” Ruby shouted through the apartment and April walked down the hall to their bedroom smiling as she saw her girlfriend sitting on her bed, strumming on her guitar as she was writing things down in her notebook. Ruby played a few more cords before smiling up at April. “How was work?”

“Quiet,” April answered as she climbed up onto the bed and snuggled next to Ruby. “Did you do anything today?” April questioned, seeing Ruby hadn’t ever changed out of her pyjamas.

“Actually I have been working really hard,” Ruby told her. “Working on a little something.” Ruby raised her eyebrows as she looked round to April.

“Oh yeah?” April put her hand on Ruby’s guitar. “You writing another song for me?” April raised her eyebrows as she grinned.

“Might be.” Ruby replied, before she strummed a few chords.

“Then let me see.” April leaned over Ruby, trying to get to the notebook but Ruby reached it first and put it down the side of the bed, between the bed and her bedside table.

“Uh-uh,” Ruby shook her head. “It’s not for now,” April gave a sad pout. “No, it’s a.....a special sort of thing I am planning.”

“Oh,” April looked a little intrigued. “Are you going to sing for me at our wedding?” April’s face lit up, thinking that would be pretty romantic.

“If I can perfect the song by then, then yes.” Ruby gave one nod of her head as April felt her heart melting.

“Baby,” April gasped. “You are so goddamn sweet,” April rubbed Ruby’s cheek before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. “I have something for you,” April said and Ruby raised her eyebrows, her hand wandering up April’s leg and going under the rim of her skirt. “No that,” April gave a little laugh as she rested her forehead against Ruby’s. “Well actually you can have that but, hold that thought a second.” April turned in the bed and leaned over it, opening her bedside drawer and pulling out the little box. “I was going to give you this over dinner tonight but I want you to have it now.” April said as she faced Ruby again, the box in her hand.

“Sweets,” Ruby gasped as April opened the box, revealing the white gold ring with a diamond in the centre. “I told you I didn’t need a ring.”

“I know but I wanted to get you one,” April told her. “Beside’s people need to know you are off the market,” April said as she put the ring on Ruby’s finger. “I love you baby.”

“I love you too sweets,” Ruby smiled before kissing April softly on the lips. April smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen, as she threw the ring box to her right. “Mmm.” Ruby moaned into the kiss as she moved her guitar to the side before pulling April closer to her so their bodies pressed together, the kiss only growing in passion as she lay back on the bed, April straddling over her.

Thank you Red Ranger 1 and Sarah for the comments. It feels like the right time to end this fiction so there are only a few chapters left after this one.

One hundred and ninety-five

‘Virgin Australia flight 859 from Melbourne to Sydney has been delayed by 90 minutes.’ Charlie groaned as she listened to the announcement. The kids were already driving her crazy and she didn’t need to be waiting another hour and half extra before getting them onto the plane. “Toby,” Charlie grabbed Toby by the arm as he was running around the row of seats making airplane noise. She lifted him up and plonked him on the seat next to her, Toby making an O shape with his mouth as his eyes widened. “You two stop it as well.” Charlie glared at Noah and Ella as they were bickering with each other.

“Oh mummy is still in a lousy mood.” Brax cooed down at Luca who was sitting on his knee.

“I’m not in any mood.” Charlie barked at him before waving her hand in front of her face, like she was fanning herself down.

“Could have fooled me.” Brax muttered.

“Ahh it’s too hot in here.” Charlie grabbed her singlet and pulled it back of forth, trying to get some air in.

“You’re having a hot flush.” Brax laughed.

“Oh so I am still going through menopause?” Charlie questioned. “It’s not over yet?”

“Mummy don’t shout at daddy.” Ella said.

“I’m not shouting.” Charlie exhaled.

“But you isn’t speaking nice.” Ella stomped her foot on the ground. Charlie bit her lip, counting to ten inside herself.

“Sorry,” Charlie looked to Ella. “I’m going to get some water, does anyone want anything?” Charlie said as she stood up from the chair.

“I’ll have a coke,” Brax said. “And he’s just pooped himself.” Brax handed Luca out for Charlie to take. Charlie shook her head at him before taking him in her arms, picking up the nappy bag.

“You kids want a drink?” Charlie questioned and she was met with three different requests for both drinks and lolly’s. “Right Noah buddy can you come help mummy?” Charlie questioned and Noah gave a little nod. “Grab mummy’s purse. It’s just sitting in there.” Charlie looked down to her bag and Noah stuck his hand in lifted out her purse before walking off with Charlie, leaving Brax with Ella and Toby. Ella ran her hand over her One Direction t-shirt before climbing up onto the seat next to her father.

“Daddy?” Ella said. “Well last night at the concert uhm, Niall waved just to me.” Ella’s little face lit up as she spoke.

“Just you?” Brax raised his eyebrows. “That is lucky huh?”

“Yeah,” Ella grinned as she thought about the concert the previous night. “It was the best time of my whole entire life.” Ella screeched.

“So me and Noah and daddy and baby Luca watched two movies and had popcorn and chips and we got cola and sprite so there.” Toby stuck his tongue out at his sister.

“So I was at One Direction,” Ella shrieked. “And I got a sprite too. And a One Direction t-shirt,” Ella pointed to her t-shirt. “And a new poster of Niall for my bedroom so there to you.” Ella stuck her tongue out at Toby and Brax chuckled in amusement at the kids’ bickering.

“You know it’s not a competition kids.” Brax said.

“Yes but my night was most fun.” Ella told her father.

“No no no,” Toby shook his head violently, his curly locks bobbing around. “Mineses was besterer.”

“Was not.” Ella nudged her brothers arm, Brax shaking his head as the kids continued to bicker.

“So, me and my maid of honour out shopping for my dress and Rubes and her maid of honour out shopping. I hope we don’t bump in to each other. Especially when we are in our wedding dresses.” April’s arm was linked around Dex as she gave a little laugh.

“Considering there are only 2 wedding dress shops in this area I am sure it’s a possibility,” Dex said. “And as long as it’s not the dress you want to buy it shouldn’t be a problem.”

“I guess,” April said. “Maybe we should have gone into the city,” April sighed. “Oh well too late now.” April dragged Dex into the wedding shop.

Dex groaned as he looked at dress after dress. “Do I really have to be here?”

“You are the maid of honour,” April gasped. “Of course you need to be here.”

“I’m not the maid of honour,” Dex sighed. “I’m the groomsman.”

“I’m not a groom,” April slapped her chest. “You are the bridesman then,” April screwed her face up a little. “Anyways you need to be here because you are my best friend and I need to know I am going to look hot for my Rubes.” April said.

“You would look hot in a bin bag.” Dex remarked and April gave him a thankful smile.

“That’s sweet but you are still not getting out of this.” April said as she pulled back one of the dresses from the rail and had a closer look.

“Hello,” A posh spoken older woman walked across to them. “Can I help you with anything?”

“She’s just looking for a wedding dress.” Dex said as he pointed to April.

“Oh it’s not very often we get the groom in here as well. You know it’s bad luck for the groom to see the dress before the wedding.” The lady told them.

“I’m not the groom,” Dex said. “I’m the bridesman.”

The lady screwed her face up. “Oh sorry, I just assumed. You came in with linked arms and I got the impression you were very in love.”

“I love Dex to death,” April replied. “Doesn’t mean he’s the one I am marrying.” April said.

“We are very good friends.” Dex said and the lady gave a little nod.

“Well when you find something you like the fitting area is through there,” The lady pointed to through to the back of the shop before chimes could be heard, the lady seeing someone came into the shop. “Ah I need to see to this lady, let me know if you need any help.”

“Dex c’mon.” April said as she was already making her way to the fitting area, Dex sighing as he walked after her. April hung the dresses on the hangers before throwing her bag down and lifting up her singlet, throwing it to the chair.

Dex raised his eyebrows as he saw she was getting undressed right in front of him. “Do you want me to wait out there till you get the dress on?”

“No.” April screwed her face up as she dropped her skirt to the ground.

“You are standing there in your underwear,” Dex said looking away from his friend.

“I’m gay.” April replied, taking the first dress from the hanger.

“Yeah you are gay,” Dex said. “I’m a straight guy standing in a changing room with a smoking hot girl standing in only her undies.”

“Firstly, you are to in love and committed to Adrian to try it on with me, secondly you wouldn’t even try because you know I don’t do penises and thirdly, how is seeing me in my undies any different from when you see me in a bikini?” April questioned. “It covers the same areas.”

“I don’t know,” Dex said. “It’s just.....different.”

April rolled her eyes as she slipped into the first dress. “Well come and do this zip for me and then you won’t see me in my undies.” April said and Dex walked up behind her and zipped up the back of the dress and smiled as he watched her admiring herself in the mirror.

Heath met Bianca at the bench that was on the sidewalk across the road from the building. “Hey,” Heath gave her a smile. “You brought Freya?” Heath glanced at the buggy before looking to his wife.

“Oh you hear that princess? Daddy doesn’t sound too pleased to see you.” Bianca looked into the buggy but Freya was already sound asleep.

“Of course I am happy to see her,” Heath said. “I just didn’t think you’d bring her here.”

“I know,” Bianca answered. “Irene was supposed to look after her but she was needed at work. Someone called in sick last minute.”

“Where’s the other two?” Heath wondered.

“Darcy is out with VJ and Katie is playing at a friends,” Bianca told him. “She’ll sleep right through but if you want to do this another time we can try to reschedule.”

“No no,” Heath shook his head. “We should go.” Heath told her and Bianca gave him a little smile as she stood up from the bench. This was something that could only hopefully strengthen their marriage and they were both keen to give it a go before Heath moved back into their home.

“You don’t feel its.....” Bianca pursed her lips. “Well who wants to admit they’ve gotten to such a bad place that they need go to this?”

“I will if it lets people see that we will do whatever we can to fix our marriage.” Heath said and Bianca bit her lip before giving a little nod.

“Yeah,” Bianca agreed. “Well let’s go then.” Bianca put her hands on the buggy before crossing the road as Heath walked beside her, both of them feeling nervous for their first marriage counselling session.

Thank you for the comments.

One hundred and ninety-six

April and Ruby were at Charlie and Brax’s place watching the kids as they had gone out for meal to get some alone time together. They’d just finished what felt like their hundredth game of snakes and ladders. “Right,” Ruby sighed as Noah moved the counters back to the start of the board. “Let’s pick something else to play,” Ruby said. “Or maybe we could put a movie on?”

“Do we have popcorn?” Ella questioned.

“Yes,” Ruby nodded. “April will go and make you it. She’s the best ever popcorn maker.”

“Really?” Toby gasped his eyes all wide.

“Oh yeah,” Ruby answered. “It’s why I am marrying her.”

“Only for the popcorn?” Toby questioned, looking deadly serious.

“Mmm,” Ruby nodded her head. “Don’t you think that’s a good reason?” Ruby questioned. Toby sucked in his bottom lip as he scratched the side of his head.

“Uhm...maybe if she made gummy worms too.” Toby answered and Ruby looked to her side as she heard April chuckle.

“That’s not really true,” Ella said. “You kiss her and love her.”

“Yeah because she makes great popcorn,” Ruby joked. “On you go sweets. Popcorn isn’t going to make its self.” Ruby grinned cheekily at April as she stood up and walked through to the kitchen.

“I will go help with drinks and stuff.” Noah said before he too ran off to the kitchen.

“I get the film.” Toby said running over to the movie cabinet to pick out a DVD.

“I did this for you and April before.” Ella told her sister, handing her the piece of yellow paper that had been sitting on the table next to Ella all night. Ruby looked down to the paper, Ella of course using pink crayon to write with.

“Balloons, cupcakes, fizzy juice, gummy worms,” Ruby read the list out. “What’s this for?” Ruby questioned as she ran her hand through Ella’s hair.

“Its things you might need for the wedding,” Ella said. “I’ll help plan.”

“Oh,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “Well that’s very sweet of you, but April and I have the wedding all planned already.”

“Oh,” Ella bowed her head a little. “Does it have cupcakes, balloons and fizzy juice?”

Ruby laughed once again. “There are no cupcakes but there’s one big cake,” Ruby said. “We don’t need to have balloons but I am sure at the little dinner afterwards that mum would let you get a fizzy drink.”

“Cool,” Ella grinned. “What about Toby’s gummy worms?” Ella questioned, glancing at her brother as he threw DVD after DVD out of the cabinet, Toby glancing at the pictures on the front, as he of course wasn’t able to read yet.

“Since when have you worried about Toby getting his gummy worms?” Ruby questioned.

“He is my little brother,” Ella looked all serious as she spoke. “I want him to have a good day.” Ella said and Ruby bit her lip to stop herself laughing.

“Well I’m not sure gummy worms will be at our wedding,” Ruby said as April walked into the living room carrying some juice boxes for the kids. “Ella has turned wedding planner,” Ruby said. “Got a list of things she thinks we need.”

“Ahh,” April sat down on Ruby’s knee for a moment as she looked down to the list in Ruby’s hand, Ruby wrapping one arm around April’s waist. April stifled a laugh at the list before looking back to Ella. “So you want to help huh?”

“I did,” Ella nodded. “But Ruby said you’ve done it all,” Ella gave a little pout. “But I am a flower girl so I should have more special jobs, eh?”

“Well we need a....uhm....” April pursed her lips as she glanced a Ruby but she just stared blankly at her, not about to offer any help. “Ah when people come to the ceremony we need someone to help them find a seat,” April said. “How about you sit people down?”

“Yeah,” Ella smiled widely. “I can do that.”

“Awesome,” April smiled. “You’d be really helping us if you did that.”

“I can,” Ella grinned before looking over to her brother. “Toby,” Ella sighed. “Hurry up and pick a DVD.” Ella ran over to him, deciding he was taking too long and she’d need to pick one.

“We need someone to sit people?” Ruby mumbled. “You are aware that after our families there are like 6 other people coming?”

“Well she feels more important now,” April said. “Let her think she’s helping us out,” April tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear. “It it that hard to do?”

“Nope.” Ruby gave April a smile before they shared a soft kiss.

“April the popcorn is ready.” Noah shouted through from the kitchen.

“You guys better have a movie ready to play when Noah and I get back because the popcorn is ready.” April said glancing at Toby who was looking worried that he was yet to pick a DVD. April got up from Ruby’s knee and walked back through to the kitchen to get the popcorn for the movie.

Bianca, Heath and the girls had played some games together on the wii, played snakes and ladders, hungry hippos and had play a few games of snap, both Katie and equally as much, Darcy enjoying the games night with their parents. “What we do now?” Katie asked as she looked from Heath to Bianca.

“I think it’s time for you to go to bed.” Bianca answered as she tucked Katie’s hair behind her ear.

Katie gave a little frown. “But we is having so much fun.”

“Well we can have fun another night pumpkin.” Heath told her, Katie looking up to her father, her eyebrows furrowing.

“With you here?” Katie asked.

“Yeah, all of us again.” Heath said and Katie gave a little smile.

“Is you and mummy back to being married again?” Katie questioned.

“They’ve never not been married.” Darcy told her sister.

Katie scowled at her. “But daddy doesn’t live here so they are unmarried,” Katie sighed. “Is you being here mean you will be married now?” Katie wondered, scratching the side of her head.

“Uhm...” Heath glanced at Bianca, not sure how he should answer the question just yet.

“Daddy and I are working very hard so we can stay married,” Bianca told her and Katie gave a big grin. “So you will move home?” Katie said looking up at her father, her big brown eyes all wide.

“One day,” Heath smiled. “But we want to make sure we get this right so daddy doesn’t need to move out again, huh?” Heath pinched Katie’s cheek and she nodded in reply.

“Yeah you need to do it right daddy,” Katie gave a little nod. “But you all be at the wedding?”

“Yeah of course,” Bianca said. “We wouldn’t miss April’s big day.”

“I’ll be a flower girl,” Katie grinned. “And Darcy a bridesmaid,” Katie pointed to Darcy. “And you and daddy will help April down the aisle to Ruby, eh?” Katie questioned and Bianca gave a little nod, April deciding that although she wanted Heath to give her away, Bianca needed to be part of her day too so they’d both be there, either side of her, just like Ruby would have both Charlie and Brax by her sides.

“But different though, eh,” Darcy said. “Having two people walk you down the aisle.”

“It’s a lesbian wedding,” Heath glanced at Darcy. “It’s already different.”

“Heath,” Bianca glared at him. “It doesn’t have to be any different.”

“I’m sorry but it is,” Heath remarked. “I’m not saying it’s bad different or it shouldn’t be happening but it’s not...it’s not the norm, is it?” Heath said and Bianca pursed her lips before looking back to Katie.

“Right lady you have stalled long enough,” Bianca pursed her lips. “Go brush your teeth and into bed. Daddy will be in to tuck you in soon.” Bianca said and Katie pouted before jumping down from the couch and running off to the bathroom.

“Can we have another game on the wii?” Darcy said, looking to Bianca. “Think it’s about time you got beat at that surfing game again.” Darcy laughed, Bianca being rather bad at the game.

“Uh,” Bianca looked to Heath who gave a little chuckle as he walked after Katie, going to the bathroom with her to make sure she did actually clean her teeth. “Sure, why not.” Bianca said and Darcy grinned as she went over to set up the wii so they could play.

After their meal, Charlie and Brax had had a couple of drinks in a pub before deciding to call it a night, the taxi dropping them off at the bottom of their driveway. “Baby you do realise you are walking away from the house?” Brax said, running a little to catch up with her. Charlie’s heels being carried in her hands as she marched off along the road. “Charlie,” Brax caught up with her and put his hand on her arm. “Where are you going?”

“I just thought we could go for a little walk,” Charlie told him. “Don’t you want to come?” Charlie looked up at him her eyebrows raising as she spoke.

“I do,” Brax nodded. “You could have just told me before you marched off.”

C’mon,” Charlie took Brax’s hand and led him down the path that cut through the woods, close by to their house. “I’ve really had a nice night tonight.” Charlie smiled.

“Me too,” Brax replied. “And it’s been a pleasure to have been in your company,” Brax grinned. “Which I can’t say happens to often lately.” Brax muttered.

“Shut up,” Charlie slapped his chest. “I can’t help it and I’ve been pleasant the last few days, right?”

“You have indeed,” Brax smiled as they walk across the clearing towards the lake, the lake sparkling as the full moon reflect off it. “God it’s gorgeous out here, huh?” Brax questioned.

“Mmm.” Charlie nodded as she snuggled a little closer to Brax, Brax dropping his hands from hers and wrapping his arm around her instead.

“Can you believe your little Rubes is getting married in less than a week?” Brax questioned.

“Hmm, I don’t want to talk about that right now.” Charlie said, dropping her shoes and bag to the ground.

“Make you feel old?” Brax laughed.

“A bit but,” Charlie started to unbutton Brax’s shirt. “I don’t want to have my daughter on my mind when we go in that lake.” Charlie said her hands running across Brax’s chest before she softly kissed his peck.

“Wait,” Brax sounded a little shocked. “Do you want to...” Brax trailed off, raising his eyebrows and Charlie licked her lip as she nodded. “In the lake?” Brax gasped.

“To adventurous for you?” Charlie laughed.

“No but,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “It might be a bit cold...” Brax trailed off and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Aww I’m sure you’ll be up for the challenge.” Charlie raised her eyebrows before they began kissing as they pulled at each other’s clothes, making their way down to the lake as they lost their layers.

Thank you for the comments. This is the second to last chapter.

One hundred and ninety-seven

Adrian sat down on the couch next to Ruby, handing her the bottle of beer. “You nervous for tomorrow?” Adrian said. “It’s your wedding day. I’d be well freaking out right now.”

“So would I be if I was about to commit to spend the rest of my life with Dexter,” Ruby said and Adrian gasped as she slapped Ruby’s arm. “Nah, I’m not nervous,” Ruby answered. “I’d done the whole wedding thing before anyways as well hey, so...” Ruby pursed her lips.

“Yeah but this time it’s with the love of your life.” Adrian said before taking a drink of her beer.

“So then there’s nothing to feel nervous about,” Ruby said. “What I have with April is real love and this is so right, it’s.....I can’t wait for tomorrow.” Ruby smiled as she admired her engagement ring. Although this was in no way a real wedding, for her and April, being able to commit to each other in front of their family and closest friends was going to be a very special moment.

Adrian smiled as she saw the look of pure love on Ruby’s face as she thought about her girlfriend; it very evident indeed at how much Ruby did in fact love April. “It’ll be a good day.”

“Mmm,” Ruby smiled. “Although I can’t believe you and Dex are keeping us apart tonight.” Ruby sighed a little, wishing she could be cuddled up to her gorgeous girl right now.

“It’s tradition to spent the night before the wedding apart.” Adrian said. “It will make it all the more special when you do see her tomorrow.”

Ruby sucked in her bottom lip. “I guess you are right,” Ruby said. “Anyways, Miss Hall, when are you going to be Mrs Walker?” Ruby wondered.

“Whenever Mr Walker pops the question.” Adrian told her.

“So you do want to marry him?” Ruby asked, a little smile forming on her face at the thought of her two closest friends getting married.

“I wouldn’t say no.” Adrian answered.

“Would you ever ask him?” Ruby wondered. “Cos, obviously I asked April and the feeling you get when they say yes it’s....” Ruby exhaled.

“I don’t think so,” Adrian shook her head. “I’d want Dex to ask me.”

“Well I do have to admit that the feeling when someone asks you is pretty great too,” Ruby said and Adrian gasped as she slapped Ruby’s arm. “What?” Ruby rubbed where Adrian had slapped her.

“You are getting married tomorrow and you are thinking about your ex-husband.” Adrian sounded shocked.

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “I’m not really thinking about Romeo. I....I’m just telling you that it’s a wonderful feeling when you are proposed to.”

“Hmm,” Adrian raised her eyebrows, but knew how much Ruby loved April and of course didn’t for a moment think she wanted to be with Romeo again. “Well we’ll just have to hope that Dex pops the question, eh?” Adrian said. “Then we can be like a little married group..” Adrian screwed her face up. “Yeah, anyways, you going to let me hear this song you’ve written for April?”

Ruby shook her head. “You’ll hear it at the wedding just like everyone else.” Ruby said before taking a drink of her beer, wanting the night to be over so she could see April and they could have their ceremony.

April sat down next to Dex on the couch, a little make-up on her knee. Dex looked down to the bag before looking to April, his head shaking. “You don’t know what I am going to ask.”

“The answer is still no.” Dex said.

“I need you to paint my nails for me,” April said. “At least my right hand. I’m rubbish with my left hand.”

“You do realise you are the gay one here and not me?” Dex questioned. “I don’t know how to do these girly things.”

April cocked her head to the side. “You have two sisters and Adrian told me that you’ve painted her nails for her before and she said you do a better job than she can,” April said and Dexter sighed. “Don’t you want me to look all pretty for Rubes tomorrow?”

“Of course I do,” Dex answered. “I’d just rather not paint your nails.”

“Okay well I can always go upstairs and ask Rubes or Adrian to do it for me.” April said, pointing up to the ceiling.

“No, it’s the night before your wedding. You can’t see her.” Dex said.

“Well then it looks like you will need to paint my nails,” April gave him a cheeky grin as she opened the bag and took out the almost clear nail polish. “This one.”

“It’s not even a colour.” Dex screwed his face up as he took the bottle in his hand.

“It’ll make my nails look nicer,” April said. “Please just do it.”

“Oh of course because everyone is going to be looking at your nails,” Dex rolled his eyes as he turned on the couch, sitting sideways. He took April’s hand and put it on his knee, before ever so carefully painting her first nail, his tongue sticking out in concentration.

“Aww you’ll make such a good wifey one day.” April teased.

“Again, I’m not the gay one.” Dex said, putting more nail polish on the brush before going back to April’s nails.

“Say’s the guy painting my nails.” April joked.

“I’ll happily stop.” Dex said glancing up at April.

“No, I’ll stop teasing,” April said. “I do appreciate that you are painting my nails.” April gave him a little grin and Dex stifled a laugh before continuing to paint her nails for her.

Charlie fastened the poppers on Luca’s sleep suit before lifting him from her bed and cuddling him into her. “You are getting to big buddy,” Charlie rubbed his back as Luca was drifting off to sleep on her shoulder. “Mummy wants you to stay a baby forever and ever,” Charlie whispered. “You think we could make that deal?”

“No,” Charlie turned around as she heard the voice. “He will grow mum, all kids do.” Noah said as he climbed up onto the bed.

Charlie stifled a laugh. “I know but he’s so sweet and cuddly and he’s my last baby.”

“Well you still sometimes call me your baby and I am 7,” Noah pointed out. “So we can still be your babies.”

Charlie smiled at her son as she lay Luca down in the moses basket. “Daddy said he wants to put Luca in his own room now.” Noah told her as she walked across the room and sat down on her bed next to him.

“Yes, I am aware daddy wants that to happen but mummy isn’t ready to let him go just yet.” Charlie exhaled.

“You won’t fight or shout because of it though, eh?” Noah wondered, Charlie very aware that Noah was still worried that his parents could split up again.

“Of course not,” Charlie ran her hand over his head. “Mummy knows how to keep daddy on side.” Charlie gave a cheeky grin and Noah gave a little giggle.

“Now Luca Thomas is sleeping can you come down the stairs and play snakes and ladders with us all?” Noah wondered.

“Sure I can.” Charlie answered.

“Cool,” Noah jumped down from the bed. “Uhm daddy isn’t wearing his glasses so he can’t see what he is rolling and Ella is telling him really low numbers.” Noah giggled as they walked out of the bedroom.

“Noah Ross,” Charlie gasped. “And you are letting this happen?” Charlie questioned. “Poor daddy.”

“But it’s funny.” Noah giggled.

“Ahh buddy don’t go to the dark side,” Charlie said as they walked down the stairs. “Ella and Toby are enough to have there,” Charlie said and Noah once again giggled before running into the living room. “Ella Mae.” Charlie looked to her daughter and Ella widened her eyes at having been middle named.

“Did you tell?” Ella gasped as she slapped Noah’s arm as he sat back down in his place next to her.

“Tell what?” Toby wondered. “Tell me, tell me.”

“What is it?” Brax questioned. Charlie picked his glasses up from the cabinet before waking over to him and sitting down next to him.

“If you wore these you’d know.” Charlie said handing his glasses to him. Brax sighed before putting them on, the kids laughing at him, still finding the sight of him in glasses a funny one.

“My turn is it?” Brax said picking up the dice and rolling them, seeing he’d rolled an 8. “Ah that’s the best I’ve rolled all night.” Brax grinned as he moved 8 spaces, all the kids giggling again. Charlie shook her head at her kids before picking up a counter from the box so she could join them in playing the game.

Thank you Red Ranger 1, Sarah and Spotd1. Kinda sad to post this last chapter but feel it's time to end this one. Hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it for you. :)

One hundred and ninety-eight

Ruby took a deep breath as she stood with her parents either side of her. She felt her heart beating through her chest, knowing there was only minutes before she’d commit her life to April. “You nervous there sweetie?” Brax questioned, putting his hand on her shoulder.

“It’s a good kind of nervous,” Ruby said, looking into the distance on the beach, seeing Heath and Bianca waiting, catching a small glimpse of a white dress from behind the small marquee. “Ahhh.” Ruby exhaled before taking a few deep breaths. Heath held a thumbs up for Brax to see and Brax gave a nod to the band, the music starting to play.

“You ready?” Charlie rubbed Ruby’s arm. She remembered when she walked her down the aisle to Romeo and the sheer difference in Ruby on that day to this day. Ruby looked so much more in love now and Charlie couldn’t be happier for her daughter finally finding the one she wanted to spend the rest of her days with.

“Let’s get me married,” Ruby said, linking her arms with both Brax and Charlie as Ella and Adrian started walking across the sand to meet April under the flowered archway. April was being led by Dex, Darcy and Katie with Bianca and Heath walking her down to the archway. Toby and Noah were standing up the front with the officiant, acting as ring bearers, each of them with the wedding bands for April and Ruby. Ruby locked eyes with April, feeling herself wanting to run to her, just so they could marry quicker, but, she kept pace with Brax and Charlie. After what felt like hours, but in reality was no more than a minute or two, Ruby and April met under the archway and shared a quick kiss. “You look gorgeous.” Ruby smiled as she admired April in her sleeveless wedding gown.

“So do you.” April whispered before they turned to face the officiant.

“We are gathered today in the presence of family and friends for the joining in bond of matrimony of Ruby and April. From the earliest days of their relationship they have shared an undeniable connection. Today is the public affirmation and acknowledgement of all that you are to each other and all that you will continue to be.” The officiant looked at April and April took a deep breath before taking Ruby’s hands in hers.

“Ruby,” April started. “My darling Rubes. I love you more than I could ever have imagined loving anyone. You make me a better person and make my life worth living. I can’t wait to spend the rest of my days with you, building our perfect life and one day having a family. You are my best friend, my lover, my confidant and my rock all rolled into one. You make me laugh and you know just what to say through the tough times. You are simply perfect and I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life by your side. I will never give up on you just as I will never give up on our love.” April said, squeezing Ruby’s hand a little tighter. She looked to Noah and he passed her ring, Ruby and April both grinning as she slid it up her finger.

“Ruby.” The officiant looked to Ruby.

“God how am I supposed to follow that?” Ruby mumbled, getting some laughs from the guests. “April. My sweets,” Ruby grinned. “I love your tenderness, your warmth, your strength and your honesty. I love laughing with you and I even love crying with you. I just love that I am with you. No one in this world can make me feel like you do. You are my rock, my sunshine, my one true love,” Ruby paused as she felt herself welling up. “I can’t wait to wake up every morning for the rest of our lives to your sweet face, knowing that we will be together for the rest of our days, for forever and always,” Ruby looked down to Toby who held the ring up to her, Ruby taking it from her brother and sliding it on to April’s finger. “I love you so much and I can’t wait to see what our future holds.” Ruby said, rubbing her thumb over April’s hand.

“Ruby and April, it’s brings me great pleasure to announced you wives for life. You may kiss.” The officiant smiled and Ruby and April met in a passionate kiss.

Ruby and April were dancing with each other in the restaurant where everyone had gone after the ceremony. After both of their families, Adrian, Dex, Irene, Leah, Miles and VJ were the only other guests, April and Ruby wanting the day to be small and intimate with only the people they were closest to. Bianca smiled as Heath wrapped his arms around her from behind and placed a soft kiss on her neck. “She’s still out for the count,” Heath told her, having been in the office checking on a napping Freya. “Looks like this one will have no trouble sleeping tonight either,” Heath laughed as he gestured to Katie who was dancing with Toby. Or at least they were holding hands and running round and round as fast as they could. “So we’ll have a quiet night at home at least.”

“So the kid will sleep well tonight,” Bianca turned around to face Heath. “You saying this for any reason?” Bianca questioned as she raised her eyebrows. Heath gave a cheeky grin before placing a soft kiss on Bianca’s lips. “Anyways Mr what makes you think you will be staying over?” Bianca bit her bottom lip seductively as she once again raised her eyebrows.

“Well technically we are on a date,” Heath said. “And sometimes dates end with the guy staying over.” Heath said and Bianca gave a little smile as she ran her hand over his hair.

“I want you to come home with me tonight,” Bianca told him and Heath gave a grin. “I want you to come home and never leave again.” Bianca said and Heath grinned widely before placing a kiss on Bianca’s lips.

“I’d love to come home and never leave again.” Heath smiled and Bianca smiled back before leading him closer to where everyone else was dancing, the couple joining in on the celebrations with everyone else.

“So, Mrs Buckton-Scott, huh?” Adrian questioned as she walked out onto the balcony, handing April another class of champagne. “Ruby won the name war in the end then?”

“She did,” April took a drink. “But I get to name the children,” April grinned. “So, we both won something I guess,” April gave a little laugh as Dex and Ruby came out onto the balcony. “But she loves my choices, don’t you baby?”

“Choice of what?” Ruby questioned. “You’re choice of wife?” Ruby joked. “Cos I think that was a great choice.” Ruby grinned as she placed a soft kiss on April’s lips.

“Mmm no,” April shook her head. “My choice of baby names.”

“Oh,” Ruby wrapped her arm around April as she looked to her friends. “I like her boys’ choices.” Ruby said.

“Yes,” April grinned. “Little Sebastian and Alexander Buckton-Scott.” April smiled, already picturing their future potential sons in her mind.

“She still want Mila for a girl?” Dex laughed.

“Uhm,” Ruby shook her head a little. “She’s not really speaking to Mila right now. Isn’t that right sweets.” Ruby said as she pinched April’s cheek.

“Oh Mila,” Adrian gasped. “What did she do?”

“Got knocked up and engaged to Ashton Kutcher,” Ruby laughed. “She’s a bit heartbroken right now.” Ruby teased.

“She shouldn’t be that heartbroken,” Adrian said. “It’s her wedding way for goodness sake.”

“Yeah and I’ve married my love,” April smiled. “She just knows if Mila ever came to town, I’d need to go be with her.” April joked.

“Really, on our wedding day you are going to joke about that?” Ruby mocked offence and April bit her lip before placing another kiss on Ruby’s lips.

“Well you did bring it up dear.” April mumbled.

“Actually Dex did,” Ruby said. “But just shut up and kiss me again.” Ruby wrapped her arms around April’s neck as they kissed once more.

Charlie took the bottle of champagne from the fridge, popping the cork and pouring it into the champagne flutes. “Another bottle?” Brax laughed as he walked behind the bar.

“Wouldn’t be a celebration without a few bottles champagne.” Charlie said as she continued to fill up the champagne flutes.

“No I guess not,” Brax replied. “You look right at home behind here,” Brax said. “Are you sure you don’t want to come back to work yet?” Brax questioned as he leaned back against the bar.

“Not yet,” Charlie shook her head, Charlie still very much enjoying being on maternity leave. “Luca and I still have some hanging out to do.” Charlie said.

“Ah I see,” Brax exhaled. “Well if little bean still needs you then you must stay home.” Brax said, picking up the soda gun and hitting the button to put some sprite into the glass.

“Who’s that for?” Charlie wondered.

“Ah Ella,” Brax said as he put a new pink straw into the glass, the other one having been amply chewed. “She’s thirsty after all her dancing with daddy.”

“I’d rather she had an orange juice,” Charlie said. “She’s already had a couple of sprites.”

“And that’s why she asked daddy and not mummy,” Brax laughed. “It’s not a huge glass and they are pretty thin,” Brax said. “And it’s her sister’s wedding.” Brax argued.

“Hmmm,” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she put the empty bottle of champagne in the trash. She picked up a champagne flute and took a drink before looking at her husband who was staring at her. “What?”

“Nothing,” Brax shook his head. “Just.... you’ve had a couple already, you sure you should have more?” Brax teased.

“Shut up,” Charlie slapped his chest and Brax stifled a laugh as he wrapped an arm around his wife, Charlie resting her head on his shoulder. They smiled as they watched Noah dancing with April as Ella was dancing with her uncle Heath. Toby and Katie were having another go a running around in circles as fast as they could, this time pulling Ruby, Adrian, Dex and Irene in with them. Darcy and VJ were also dancing, close by to Miles and Leah. “Mmm look how happy everyone looks,” Charlie smiled. “Especially Bianca,” Brax glanced at his sister-in-law who was keeping the babies entertained, softly dancing as she was holding one in each arm. “And look at our little bean,” Brax grinned. “All smart in his little shirt and pants.”

“I can’t believe they make suits for babies,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “But Bianca did ask Heath to move back home, so I believe that’s why they are both happy. And of course it’s a wedding so why not be happy?” Charlie said.

“Yeah,” Brax agreed. “I am pleased for Bianca and Heath though. It’s been a hard road for them but I’m happy they got there in the end,” Brax rubbed Charlie’s arm as he spoke. “You women just like to make things difficult for us sometimes, eh?” Brax teased.

“Oh yeah because being married to a Braxton is no walk in the park, believe me.” Charlie muttered as she looked up at Brax, Brax giving a little laugh.

“Yeah we might have had a few little hurdles along the way,” Brax said. “But I’ve still loved every moment spent with you,” Brax smiled as he tucked her hair behind her ear. “I love you more and more each day.” Brax told her and Charlie gave a little smile.

“I love you too.” Charlie said before they shared a kiss.

Ruby sat down on the chair that was at the doors to the balcony, her guitar being lifted up onto her knee. Everyone was standing looking at her, Ruby setting her eyes on her wife. “Why is we all watching Ruby?” Toby questioned, looking up to his mother, who was standing behind him.

“Rubes is going to sing a song for April.” Charlie told him.

“Oh she can sing,” Toby grinned before looking back to his sister. “You go Ruby.” Toby gave a little clap and Ruby raised her eyebrows before strumming a few chords on the guitar, her eyes once again setting on April.

‘This could be it; I think I’m in love. It’s love this time,’ Ruby started singing, her eyes staying clued to her gorgeous wife. ‘It just seems to fit; I think I’m in love. This love is mine,’ April could already feel herself welling up. Brax was stood next to her and looked at her, seeing the wide grin on her face, the pair of them so very much in love. ‘I can see you with me when I’m older, all my lonely nights are finally over, you took the weight of the world off my shoulders,’ Ruby smiled up at April, everyone just staring in awe as she sung her the song. ‘Oh when you kiss me, I know you miss me, and when you’re with me the world just goes away, the way the hold me, the way you show me, that you adore me, oh when you kiss me,’ Ruby strummed some chords on her guitar, seeing April was welling up. She gave her a wink before continuing with the song. ‘You are the one; I think I’m in love. Life has begun. I can see the two of us together, I know I’m gonna be with you forever, love couldn’t be any better. Oh when you kiss me, I know you miss me, and when you’re with me the world just goes away, the way you hold me, the way you show me, that you adore me, oh when you kiss me,’ Ruby strummed the chords, the music playing out for a moment without any singing. ‘I can see you with me when I’m older, all my lonely nights are finally over, you took the weight of the world off my shoulders. Oh when you kiss me, I know you miss me and when your with me the world just goes away, the way you hold me, the way you show me that you adore me, the world just goes away and when you kiss me, I know you miss me, oh the world just goes away, when you kiss me.’ Ruby strummed a few more chords before the music stopped. She smiled as everyone was staring speechless at her before the kids started clapping and cheering.

“Baby,” April sniffed back as a tear rolled down her cheek. She stepped forward as Ruby stood up from the seat, laying her guitar to the side just in time for April to envelop her in a hug. “That was beautiful. I love you so much.”

“I love you too.” Ruby whispered before they shared a rather passionate kiss.

Archived