Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thank you Red Ranger 1, chax, Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments.

Thirty-one

Ruby propped her elbow against the mattress, resting her head against her hand. She exhaled as she ran the tips of her fingers over April’s stomach. “That uhm....” Ruby cleared her throat. “Really wasn’t what was supposed to happen.”

“No,” April bit her lip, turning her head to face Ruby. “Although I thought it was better than talking, to be honest,” April said, turning onto her side, mirroring Ruby by lying the same way as she was. “Much better, in fact.” April said, leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips.

“Mmm,” Ruby raised her eyebrows as she pulled back. “Can I ask you a question?” Ruby said, brushing April’s hair from her shoulders, so it hung down her back.

“Ahh,” April gave a little laugh. “I know what you are going to ask,” April went a little red, feeling embarrassed. “I was really drunk.” April started, telling the story of how the tattoo came to be.

“They don’t let you get tattoos if you are drunk, surely?” Ruby screwed her face up a little.

“It was a friend of a friend of Carly’s,” April explained. “It was done in his living room. I’m not sure he was a real proper licensed tattoo artist person. Whatever you say,” April screwed her face up. “Anyways,” April exhaled. “Carly and I were really drunk and thought it would be funny to get tattoos.”

“And you went for the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street on your butt cheek?” Ruby pursed her lips together, trying her hardest not to laugh.

“It seemed like a good idea at the time,” April answered. “And at least you can’t see mines. Carly has Oscar the Grouch on her wrist.” April said.

“The green one that lives in a bin?” Ruby said and April nodded. “Does Bianca know you have a tattoo?”

“No,” April answered. “And she doesn’t need too. As soon as I’m done with med school and start making some money I am getting it removed.” April told her.

“I don’t know,” Ruby said. “I would love my doctor to have a Cookie Monster tattoo on her butt.” Ruby said, before bursting into laughter.

“Shut up.” April hit her chest.

“Not so squeaky clean April Scott anymore, are we?” Ruby said, raising her eyebrows. “Cairns turned you all badass,” Ruby joked and April cocked her head a little before she laughed. “Let me see again.” Ruby said, trying to look over April to see her bottom.

“No,” April covered it with her free hand, the other still propping her up. “It’s embarrassing.”

“Aww c’mon, it’s only me.” Ruby laughed as she moved the sheet from them before leaning over April, pulling her hand away. April sighed as she turned around, lying on her stomach. Ruby ran her fingers gently over the tattoo of the blue monster with a big cookie in his hand. “So, you sure you want to get it removed?” Ruby asked. “Could add Elmo and Big Bird and start a little collection?” Ruby joked and April shook her head, turning back around so the tattoo was out of Ruby’s view.

“I am definitely getting it removed,” April answered. “Once I have a spare few grand.”

“Oooh,” Ruby said. “It’ll cost that much?” Ruby questioned.

April shrugged. “I’ve not looked into it yet but I don’t suppose it’ll be cheap.” April said.

“It’ll be sore,” Ruby said. “You might not be able to sit down for a week.” Ruby laughed.

“Aww well maybe you’ll just have to care for me then,” April laughed before putting her hand over her mouth, thinking it was best not to assume they’d be together a few years down the line. They’d only slept together once and had a few kisses before that. She didn’t know what was going to happen. “Sorry, I...”

“Don’t need to be sorry,” Ruby said leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her lips. April pulled back and looked into Ruby’s gorgeous green eyes, giving her a smile. “It’s very possible that we could be together then,” Ruby said and April’s smile grew larger as she felt her heart flutter. “Now though, I’m a little hungry.”

“Oh, you want me to get you something to eat?” April questioned, going to get up from the bed.

Ruby gave a little nod as she pulled April closer to her, their bodies pressing together. “I want cookies.” Ruby whispered before smacking her lips against April’s, their tongues immediately finding each other’s mouth. Both girls moaned into the kiss letting it deepen as their hands entwined together, April trying to ignore the feeling of Ruby’s wedding rings against her fingers.

“They’re really devastated that they need to go back to school tomorrow.” Brax said as he walked back into the living room after reading the twins their bedtime story.

“Devastated?” Charlie screwed her face up as Brax took a seat on the couch next to her.

“Okay maybe that is too strong a word to use,” Brax gave a little laugh. “But they’re not happy about it. Although it is a Friday. Maybe we could just let them start on Monday again.”

“They’re going to school, Brax.” Charlie exhaled, turning in the couch to face him.

“I suppose they need too,” Brax sighed. “Just thought it would be nice if we did something the 5 of us,” Brax said. “Had some family time.”

“And we can do that,” Charlie told him. “But we’re not about to start taking the kids out of school for that to happen,” Charlie put her hand on his thigh. “Maybe Sunday we can do something,” Charlie said gently moving her hand over his thigh. “If you want me in on your time with the kids, that is.”

“I’d love to do something,” Brax gave her a smile. “Maybe we can go into Sydney. Go to the zoo or aquarium or something.”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “I’m sure the kids would love that.”

“I hope it’s not just the kids who’d love it.” Brax spoke almost shyly as he looked into Charlie’s eyes. She looked even more beautiful than when they first got together, nearly 9 years ago now and he couldn’t wait for them to start repairing their relationship and making another go of it.

Charlie gave him a smile. “I’m sure their mother would greatly like it too,” Charlie said. “I’m looking forward to it.”

Brax smiled as he tucked her hair behind her ear before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her lips. “Maybe, we could watch a movie or something?” Brax questioned as they pulled back.

Charlie bit her lip as she stared at him for a moment. “You should probably go home.” Charlie exhaled as she rubbed his arm.

“I could go home,” Brax said. “Or I could stay.” Brax raised his eyebrows before leaning down and placing another kiss on her lips, this one getting a little more passionate.

“Mmm, go home Brax,” Charlie pushed on his chest before standing up from the couch. Brax exhaled sadly as he stood up, walking through to the door behind Charlie. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Charlie said referring to when Brax would come by to pick up Toby for the kids’ weekend at his place.

“Yeah,” Brax gave her a smile before leaning forward, placing a soft kiss on her cheek. “See you.” Brax said before walking out of the door. Charlie closed the door and leaned her head against it and took a deep breath before walking back though to the living room.

Ruby walked back into the apartment. “I was just about to send out a search party for you,” Romeo gave a little laugh. “You’ve been ages.”

“Yeah sorry,” Ruby ran her hand over her forehead. “Got lost in my thoughts.”

“What you thinking about?” Romeo questioned, taking her hand in his and pulling her closer to him. He wrapped his arm around her and rubbed the small of her back. Ruby bowed her head down as she rolled her wedding rings around her finger.

“I haven’t really been the best wife since we married.” Ruby spoke quietly.

“Of course you have.” Romeo pushed her even closer to him and she sat down sideways on his knee.

“I haven’t,” Ruby sniffed back. “I’ve shouted at you 90 per cent of the time and I....I pushed at you to go to that interview when you didn’t want to and....in the bedroom I’ve been really distant,” Ruby pursed her lips together as she looked into his soft eyes. He was one of the sweetest most caring guys she’d ever met and the last thing she wanted to do was hurt him. “I’m sorry.”

“Marriage was never meant to be easy,” Romeo said. “And we’re just starting out. We’re still trying to get used to it. It’s a big change in any relationship,” Romeo spoke softly. “But babe it’s nothing to get upset over,” Romeo told her, rubbing the small of her back. “We’ve been married all of 6 weeks,” Romeo said. “That’s hardly any time at all.”

“So, you’re saying it’ll get easier?” Ruby wiped her hand over her eyes. “We just....we just need to get used to being husband and wife?”

“I’d say so,” Romeo answered. “But babe, I love you so much and that’s all that matters,” Romeo said. “And it’s because you love me that you want me getting a job and making money and you’re right, we do need to be making more money right now,” Romeo said. “And I really did try in that interview Rubes, I promise I did.”

“I know you would have,” Ruby answered looking into his eyes once again. “I love you, Romeo.” Ruby spoke quietly. It didn’t feel right saying that after what she’d just done with April.

“I know,” Romeo smiled. “I love you too.” Romeo said placing a soft kiss on her lips before pulling her into a hug.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments.

Thirty-two

“Morning,” April grinned as she walked into the kitchen. She bent down and placed a kiss on Katie’s head before taking a seat at the table and pouring herself a glass of orange juice. “How are you on this glorious day?”

“I’m good,” Bianca looked round to her sister from making Katie’s poached egg. “You?”

“Fantastic.” April beamed as she poured herself some cereal, the smile not about to leave her face. Neither remembering her and Ruby’s meeting the afternoon before.

Bianca looked April up and down. “Very cheery for this time in the morning.”

“Well it’s a glorious day,” April said, pouring milk into her bowl. “The sun is shining, birds are singing, Katie is back with us,” April smiled as she rubbed Katie’s back. “Why not be happy?” April questioned.

Bianca raised her eyebrows as she took the egg from the pan and put into on top of a piece of lightly buttered toast. She picked it up and walked over to the table and put in down in front of Katie. “Thank you.” Katie gave a little squeak before picking up her knife and fork and digging into her breakfast.

“You’re welcome,” Bianca smiled down at her before taking a seat at the table. She looked at April who was still grinning as she ate her cereal. “You get a visit from your little friend or something?” Bianca questioned.

“My what?” April screwed her face up before taking a drink.

“That girl you met when you came out with Charlie, Leah and me the other weekend,” Bianca said. “Remember the one? After telling me you were remaining single for a while you went out and weren’t in the pub 5 minutes and you’d managed to bag someone and by the way, I know you stayed the night with her.”

“No no,” April shook her head, feeling a little embarrassed. “I mean, yeah I remember her but she was just a onetime thing,” April told her sister. “How did you know I stayed at her place?”

“I heard you coming home in the early hours of Sunday morning.” Bianca answered.

“Oh well,” April exhaled. “Yeah, I’ve not seen her since and we didn’t swap numbers so,” April trailed off, aware her 4 year old niece was sitting beside her. “Anyways, just because I am happy does it mean it must be about a girl?” April asked and Bianca gave a little shrug.

“Just have that look in your eye.” Bianca replied.

“What look?” April questioned. “There’s no look....I have no look.” April wasn’t about to admit to anything happening with Ruby. No matter how much she wanted to shout it from the rooftops that she’d spent time with a beyond gorgeous woman who’d made her feel so good, she was also a married woman and April knew things weren’t going to be that simple.

“Okay,” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “I’m very sorry. I must be mistaken.”

“Yes,” April answered. “So, anyways, you not having breakfast?” April questioned, seeing Bianca was sitting at the table, but wasn’t looking like she was about to have anything to eat.

“Nah,” Bianca shook her head. “The thought of eating makes me feel sick right now.” Bianca said, putting her hand on her chest and swallowing.

“Still might be better to try.” April said.

“Not right now,” Bianca answered before looking to Katie, seeing she had egg yolk around her mouth. “You enjoying your breakfast?” Bianca asked and Katie gave a nod as she took another mouthful.

“She going to Kindy today?” April questioned.

“Nah,” Bianca answered. “Heath and I are taking her to the zoo,” Bianca answered. “Well whenever he gets out of bed and drives us to Sydney.”

“Sweet,” April smiled. “You getting a day off Kindy, lucky you eh?” April ruffled Katie hair.

“I go back Monday,” Katie told her. “Today I go the zoo,” Katie shrieked, excited for her outing with her parents. “We go now?” Katie asked.

“You’ll have to go wake daddy up first.” Bianca told her and Katie gave a grin before jumping down from the table and running over to her parents room, shouting on her dad.

“So, you’re not going to work today?” April asked.

“I’ve been given off till Monday,” Bianca answered. “And Heath isn’t working today so we are making the most of the day.” Bianca gave a smile.

“Sweet,” April smiled taking the last of her cereal in her mouth. “Well have a nice day. I best go shower before uni.” April said jumping up from the table and practically skipping to the bathroom. Bianca shook her head in amusement as she heard the bathroom door shut, knowing that something, or more likely someone, had made put that spring in April’s step.

Brax and the kids walked into the diner. He’d just picked the twins up from school and decided to treat them to milkshake and a cake. They all sat down around a table, Ella sitting next to Brax. “Daddy where is Nattie?” Ella questioned, playing with the bottom stands of one of her plaited pigtails.

“She’s gone to Sydney,” Brax answered. “Remember I told you.”

“Yes,” Noah said. “She’s not your girlfriend anymore.”

“Why?” Toby questioned as he scratched his head, where he had the stitches.

“Leave your stitches alone.” Brax told him and Toby scowled as he stopped scratching his head.

“So why you not with Nattie?” Ella asked.

“Because we decided not to be boyfriend and girlfriend anymore.” Brax told his kids.

“Will you get a new girlfriend?” Noah questioned.

“I -” Brax started to reply. Of course he’d love to tell the kids about him and Charlie getting back together, but figured it was probably best to wait and tell them together.

“Mummy didn’t get a new boyfriend,” Noah continued to talk. “So you don’t need a new girlfriend, daddy,” Noah said. “You don’t.” Noah exhaled, looking worried that his dad would once again move on with someone who wasn’t his mother.

“I’m not going to get a new girlfriend mate,” Brax smiled down at his son as Leah walked across to take their order. “Hey.” Brax gave her a smile.

“Hi,” Leah smiled, looking down at Toby. “Nice to see Toby safe.” Leah said and Brax gave a smile.

“Yeah,” Brax exhaled. “Bit of a scare for a while, eh,” Brax said. “So yeah, I’ll have a coffee please.” Brax said and Leah scribbled down his order.

“And what can I get you kids?” Leah questioned, looking to each of them.

“Strawberry milkshake and a vanilla cupcake.” Ella said still playing with her hair.

“Banana milkshake and chocolate cake please.” Noah said and Leah gave him a smile. That boy sure had his manners.

“Me too,” Toby threw his hands in the air. “Me the same as my brother.”

“No,” Noah sighed. “Toby stop always being the same as me.” Noah held his head up with his hand as he frowned.

“I like too.” Toby answered, giving his brother a smile.

Leah gave a little laugh before walking away to get their order. “Mum.” Noah’s eyes lit up as he jumped of the chair and ran over to the doorway, where Charlie had just walked in.

“Hey buddy,” Charlie ruffled his hair as he wrapped his arms around her in a hug. “You have a good day at school?”

“It was good,” Noah told her. “Our class got a guinea pig today and we called him Fudge cos he’s a light brown colour.” Noah smiled.

“Ah that’s a good name.” Charlie said, looking down at her son.

“Yeah,” Noah said. “And we get to take him home on the weekends,” Noah told her, his eyes all wide in excitement. “My name is 4th,” Noah held up four fingers. “Annabelle Armstrong is one, William Ashby is two, Liam Baker three then me, Noah Braxton is 4,” Noah gave a little grin. “So we get to bring him home all weekend in 4 weekses time.” Noah gave a little jump.

“Oh,” Charlie said. “And we have to do this?”

“Not if you don’t want,” Noah shook his head. “But we will, right?” Noah looked up at his mother and gave her a sweet little smile.

“We’ll see.” Charlie answered as Toby came running over and started pulling on her hand.

“Come mummy.” Toby tried to drag her to the table.

“Uh no buddy I’m just going to get a coffee to go.” Charlie said as she ruffled the hair of her youngest.

“No, you can come. Dad won’t mind,” Noah said. “He doesn’t have a girlfriend anymore,” Noah started pulling on her other hand and Charlie bit her lip, looking over to Brax. He gave her a smile and gestured for her to come across so she walked over with her boys. “Mummy can have coffee with us, ay daddy?”

“Sure she can.” Brax gave her a smile as Noah pulled another seat across for his mother. They all sat back down as Leah brought over the boys’ milkshakes. Toby’s eyes lit up before he pulled it closer to him and put the straw in his mouth, taking a big drink.

“Can I get you anything, Charlie?” Leah questioned.

“Just a coffee, thanks,” Charlie ordered and Leah gave a little nod before going to get the rest of the order. “So, Ella, how was school?”

“Rubbish,” Ella frowned. “I wish I was finished with school.”

“You have a long time yet petal,” Charlie told her and Ella frowned, going back to playing with her hair. “Should we tell them?” Charlie said and Brax smiled before giving a little nod. “Right kiddies,” Charlie said and all 3 kids looked up at her, their eyes all wide in wonderment at what their mother was going to say. “On Sunday we thought it would be nice if the 5 of us went to the aquarium.”

“Yeah.” Toby squealed so loudly a few people in the diner stared at him.

“All of us?” Noah questioned. “You and daddy together?” Noah rubbed the side of his head, staring at his parents.

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “We thought it would be a fun day,” Brax told his kids. “What do you think?”

“Yeah we really should.” Ella grinned.

“I really want too,” Noah answered. “We should and the aquarium is the best place to visit.” Noah looked like he was going to burst in excitement at his parents going to be spending the day together.

“Well looks like we have ourselves a little date.” Brax said as he looked to Charlie and the pair shared a smile.

Thank you Red Ranger 1, Sarah, beebee, Sabrina and emmamurphy8 for the comments. :D

Thirty-three

Katie was sitting on Heath’s shoulders as they walked through the zoo. Bianca had her hands wrapped around his arm, the three of them looking like a very close, happy family and despite the trouble over the last couple of days, that’s what they were. Although Bianca still wasn’t best pleased that she was pregnant, she knew how happy Heath was and how happy Katie would be when they told her and that made it all worth it. “Mummy?” Katie questioned as she looked down to her.

“Yes pumpkin?” Bianca looked up to her.

“When I get my Kitty I will call her Fluffy.” Katie announced happily.

“She’s getting a kitty?” Heath turned his head to face Bianca, giving her a questioning look.

Bianca shook her head. “We never actually said you could get a kitty sweetie.” Bianca said and Katie gave a little frown.

“I want one,” Katie pouted. “Please.”

“Away and see the elephants,” Heath said, lifting her down from his shoulders. Katie ran over to the wall and climbed up on a wooden block, still standing on her tiptoes as her head peaked over the wall. “Soon she’ll forget all about a kitty when we tell her she’s getting a baby brother or sister.” Heath smiled down at Bianca’s stomach before putting his hands on her waist, pulling her a little closer to him.

“She’ll be pleased.” Bianca managed a smile; right now thinking about how happy Katie was going to be was making her more excited than her impending motherhood.

“That’s a slight understatement,” Heath gave a little laugh. “Speaking of telling her, when will we?” Heath lightly rubbed Bianca’s hand with this thumb.

Bianca pursed her lips together as she looked down. “Soon,” Bianca said. “I promise you.” Bianca looked back up to Heath and gave him a smile as she wrapped her arms around his neck and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Mummy, daddy, come see the efelants,” Katie pointed out to the elephants. “Come see,” Katie screeched and Bianca and Heath walked over to their daughter, hand in hand. They stood behind her and she leaned into Bianca, Bianca wrapping her arms around her daughter, placing a kiss on her temple. “There us,” Katie said happily. “The daddy, the mummy and the baby one,” Katie said, pointing to a family of elephants. “Look.”

“I see.” Bianca hugged Katie even closer to her.

Katie gave a little giggle. “This is the best day.” Katie smiled.

“You want to go see them feeding the penguins?” Heath questioned looking at his watch. “That’s starting soon.” Heath looked down to Katie and she jumped down from the wooden block as she gave a yelp of excitement.

“Let’s go, let’s go.” Katie jumped around waiting on her parents to move. Bianca and Heath gave a little laugh at her excitement before taking hands again and walking behind Katie to go see the penguins.

Ruby walked into the apartment and threw her bag and folders down on the couch. She smiled at Romeo, who was on the phone and the conversation sounded like it was something important. “That’s great, yeah.......okay, see you Monday,” Romeo hung up the phone before smiling as he walked over to his wife. “Hey,” Romeo put his arms around her waist. “How was school today?”

“Fine,” Ruby sighed as she rested her hands on his upper arms. “Who was on the phone?”

“Ah the fish job people,” Romeo exhaled. “I got the job so I start on Monday.” Romeo looked less than thrilled about this.

“It won’t be for life, I promise,” Ruby leaned up and kissed his lips. “Just a few years so we can get some money behind us.”

“I know,” Romeo exhaled. “But maybe, considering I’ve took this job, you could show me how much you appreciate my sacrifice.” Romeo joked before raising his eyebrows and placing a kiss on Ruby’s lips.

“Mmm,” Ruby pulled back, pursing her lips together. “I have to go to work.”

“So be a little late.” Romeo smiled cheekily before kissing her neck.

“I can’t,” Ruby pushed him back. “I only came home to drop my stuff off. I have to go,” Ruby looked up to Romeo and could see disappointment in his eyes. She lightly brushed her hand over his cheek. “I’ll make it up to you tonight, I promise.”

“Yeah, okay,” Romeo gave a little smile. “You’re home at 8, right?”

“Well I’m supposed to finish at 8,” Ruby answered. “I’ll be home a little later.” Ruby said and Romeo gave a little nod.

“Well I’ll see you then.” Romeo gave a little smile before kissing her lips. Ruby pulled back before leaving the apartment and making her way to work.

“Ahhh,” Toby was running around the living room in his Spiderman suit. Brax looked to his watch, knowing it was his bath time, but knew he’d probably have trouble getting him there tonight. “I climb like spidey.” Toby jumped up and tried to push himself onto the cabinet.

“No,” Brax raised his voice as he ran over to him, lifting him down from the cabinet. “Let’s not climb like spidey.” Brax said, holding Toby in his arms as he tried to break away.

“Toby is so dangerous,” Ella said as she rolled the dice, before counting out the dots. 1..2..3..4..5..6..7,” Ella picked up the yellow counter and moved 7 spaces on the board. “Aww no.” She frowned before slapping her hand against her forehead.

“Ahh you are on a snake,” Noah pointed to the large snake on the board which took his sister from space 67 all the way back to number 11. Ella scowled at him before going back down the snake. “Daddy it’s your turn.”

“No, it’s me,” Toby said, picking up the dice. “I’m blue.”

“You keep running away thinking you are Spiderman.” Noah said as Toby threw the dice.

“I is Spiderman,” Toby said before looking up to Brax. “How many daddy?” Toby questioned.

“4.” Brax said and Toby moved as Brax counted with him.

“I move up.” Toby did a little jump sliding his counter up the board.

“No,” Ella screeched. “You’re not on a ladder, Toby no,” Ella moved his counter back down and Toby tried to fight with her to move it back up, both of them trying to grab the little blue counter. “D-a-d.” Ella squealed.

“Toby stop it,” Brax pulled his son away. “You have to play properly buddy.” Toby furrowed his eyebrows before scowling.

“You aposed to be my team.” Toby said, punching his chest.

Noah picked up the dice and rolled a 6 and a 4, Noah quickly adding up he got to move 10 places, giving a little grin as it was a high number. He moved ten places on the board, missing out on a little ladder by one space. “Oh that was close.” Noah sighed a little before giving the dice to his sister. Ella shook them in her hand for a while and just before she rolled them, she looked up to Brax.

“Dad?” Ella questioned.

“Yes?” Brax looked down to his daughter, intrigued.

“Well because Nattie doesn’t live here anymore maybe you could ask mummy too.” Ella said as she kept a hold of the dice in her hand.

“I think mummy likes the house she has,” Brax said, not really knowing how to answer. Of course he’d expect that they’d live together again at one point but they were yet to tell the kids of the situation. “And it’s bigger,” Brax answered. “I don’t think she’d move into a smaller place.”

Ella frowned. “Maybe you could come home and be mummy’s husband again.” Ella said, Noah nodding his head, loving his sister’s suggestion.

You made her so sad when you left daddy.” Noah’s voice was sad, sounding like he was going to cry.

Brax felt his heart tugging a little as he heard what his son said. “I know I did,” Brax answered, his head bowing slightly. “But I didn’t mean too. I would never intentionally hurt your mother, okay?”

“Dad,” Ella looked to him, all serious. “We don’t know what intentionally means.”

“It means that I didn’t mean to hurt your mother,” Brax said. “I love her very much.”

“She loves you too daddy,” Noah said with a nod. “I knows she does because she cries for you.”

Brax gave his son a weak smile. He hated how aware of everything the kids were, especially the twins and more especially Noah. He was glad that soon he’d be able to tell them that they were getting back together. “Right, we need to get this game finished because Spiderman here needs a bath.” Brax said tickling Toby’s sides. He gave a giggle as he tried to escape Brax’s arms but Brax was too strong for him. Ella rolled the dice and a made her move, Brax looking down at his kids and smiling, hoping that soon, they’d be doing this back at the house they used to share, with Charlie sitting beside him.

Charlie knocked on the door of her friend’s house. “Hey, come in,” Bianca smiled, opening the door and letting her in. “What’s this?” Bianca looked to her friend’s arms and saw she had a box of chocolates and a bottle of fizzy grape juice in her hands.

“We didn’t get a chance to celebrate.” Charlie said with a smile.

“The kids are home. Isn’t that enough?” Bianca asked, opening the cupboard and taking out two glasses.

“Of course,” Charlie said, handing Bianca the bottle. “I meant your impending motherhood.” Charlie said, putting the chocolates down on the worktop.

“Ahh,” Bianca pursed her lips together. “Not sure I really want to celebrate that right now.” Bianca handed Charlie a glass before picking up the chocolates and walking through to the living room where they took a seat on the couch, Bianca ripping into the chocolates.

“I know it’s scary,” Charlie said, giving her friend a comforting smile. “But, what happened...” Charlie shook her head. “Don’t worry yourself. Enjoy being pregnant and....you, Heath, Katie and the baby; you’ll be such a happy little family.”

Bianca nodded as she put her hand on her stomach. “That’s what Heath and April told me,” Bianca pursed her lips together. “And I know that the baby is more than likely going to be fine and it won’t happen again....but the whole experience with Rocco. His early arrival, the meningitis....I just, I can’t help but worry that...” Bianca bowed her head down as she stopped talking.

“I know,” Charlie said. “But the worrying will only make you worse,” Charlie exhaled. “The chances of SIDS happening the once are low enough, that it happening a second time,” Charlie shook her head. “You’re a great mum, Bianca,” Charlie smiled. “This kid is going to be one lucky baby.”

Bianca gave her friend a smile, knowing she was right and she shouldn’t worry about something with such little chances happening. What happened with Rocco was awful but she was being given another chance and she really should relish that opportunity. “Yeah,” Bianca gave a little smile before exhaling. “Chocolate?” Bianca handed the box up to Charlie and she went to take one. “Uh not that one.” Bianca said and Charlie looked at her, confused.

“Katie likes the strawberry ones.” Bianca told her and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“I bought them.” Charlie said, before picking up a caramel one instead, putting it into her mouth.

“Yeah but Katie always gets the strawberry ones,” Bianca said, putting another chocolate in her mouth. Charlie gave a little laugh before taking another chocolate, careful not to pick a strawberry flavoured one. “So c’mon, get me up to speed on what’s happening with you and Brax.” Bianca said and Charlie took a drink before explaining all to her friend.

Thank you for the comments.

Thirty-four

Ruby counted the last of the notes before putting them into the cash box and locking it up. She jotted something down in a book before looking up to April who was putting the last of the chairs up onto the table. Apart from little smiles and glances at each other throughout their shifts, they’d not really been able to talk, of course, with both of them working. Ruby was left to lock up tonight and was left with April to help her out. “God we were busy tonight.” April yawned as she walked over to the counter, walking round behind it and leaning herself against it, standing close to Ruby.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “Always love it when a large group of people come in 5 minutes before close,” Ruby gave a little yawn. “Just as Irene leaves as well.”

“Well they can’t expect food 5 minutes before a place is due to close,” April said and Ruby shook her head. “Anyways, how are you today?” April questioned. “We’ve not really had much of a chance to talk.”

“I know,” Ruby pursed her lips together, knowing what April was getting at but decided to start with the small talk anyways. “I’m okay though, just the usual uni gives you lots of assessments for over the weekend,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “How about you?”

“Fine yeah,” April answered. “Glad Pete wasn’t working today.” April gave a little laugh.

“You know if he is harassing you you should tell Irene or Leah. Pretty sure that’s not allowed in the workplace.” Ruby said. Sure was a little concerned for April, knowing how Pete was around her.

“I don’t think we need to go that far,” April tucked her hair behind her ear. “Just a bit of harmless fun,” April exhaled before biting her lip. “And like you’ve said, he’ll get bored soon enough.”

“Yeah you’re probably right,” Ruby sighed, before they stared at each other silently for a moment. “So...I think, maybe we ehm...” Ruby broke eye contract with April as she looked down, pursing her lips together.

“Yeah we should talk about what happened,” April sounded nervous. She was pretty sure she knew that Ruby wanted to be with April, but whether she was going to do anything about it was a different matter, after all Ruby was married. “I eh -”

“April,” Ruby stepped forward and rubbed her hand. “Before you say anything, I...I want you to know that I don’t regret what happened. I love you, April, I do and being with you was...I....I’ve never experienced anything like it before, but...” Ruby pursed her lips together.

April felt her heart tugging a little, a feeling of rejection hitting her. “Don’t say but,” April said. “I don’t like buts.”

Ruby pursed her lips together. “I can’t, April,” Ruby felt her eyes misting over. “I’m married. I’ve been married all of 6 weeks and I’ve already cheated on him,” Ruby exhaled. “I need to stay with Romeo. I can’t hurt him again.”

April sniffed back, wiping her hands over her eyes. “It’s not what you want,” April exhaled. “You should make yourself happy.”

“You’re only saying that because it means you’d be happy too.” Ruby exhaled.

“Well yeah,” April cleared a lump in her throat. “Of course I’d love to be with you and for us to try again,” April said. “But at the end of the day my advice to anyone would be to put themselves first and make themselves happy,” April said, cupping her hand around Ruby’s cheek. “Just give yourself what you want.” April’s voice came out in a whisper although it was not intended. She looked into Ruby’s eyes and gave her a little smile before leaning forward, placing a soft kiss on her lips. Ruby responded, letting the kiss deepen as she wrapped her arms around her.

“Hello?” Ruby walked into the house. “Mum?”

“Rubes, hey,” Charlie appeared out of her bedroom, her dressing gown wrapped around her. “What you doing here?” Charlie questioned as she tied the tie around her waist.

“Nice to see you too.” Ruby sulked.

“Of course it’s nice to see you,” Charlie said. “I just didn’t expect you that’s all.”

“You not feel well or something?” Ruby questioned, looking her mother up and down. “It’s just after 8 and you are in your pyjamas.”

“Well the kids are at Brax’s so I thought I’d have a nice relaxing bubble bath with a glass of red,” Charlie told her eldest. “You know, bit of me time.”

“Sure,” Ruby answered. “Just thought I’d come in and say hey on my way home from work.”

“Right,” Charlie gave a little nod, choosing not to mention that Ruby lived completely in the opposite direction from her house. “Well do you want a coffee or anything?”

“If you want to make one,” Ruby answered. “If you want to go to your bath then I’ll leave.” Ruby pursed her lips together and Charlie could see that Ruby had something on her mind.

“No, it’s fine,” Charlie sighed lightly. “Bath can wait,” Charlie mumbled. “So, everything okay with you?” Charlie asked as she walked through to the kitchen with Ruby following behind her. Ruby gave a little groan as Charlie flicked the kettle on before reaching for two cups. “This about April?” Charlie questioned and Ruby gave a little nod as she sat down at the table.

“I uhm.....we slept together.” Ruby spoke quietly.

“Ruby you are married.” Charlie gasped as she looked around to her daughter.

“That’s rich coming from you,” Ruby retorted. “I seem to recall you sleeping with Brax when you were engaged to Angelo and again, sleeping with Brax when he had a girlfriend.”

“Yeah well we are not talking about me right now and just because I’ve done it, it doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do,” Charlie told her daughter. “Ruby you need to work out who you want before all 3 of you ends up getting hurt.”

Ruby clicked her tongue before bowing her head down as tears rolled down her cheeks. “I love them both.” Ruby cried. Charlie walked over to Ruby and bent down before her, putting her hands onto her arm, rubbing them in comfort.

“And what about being in love?” Charlie questioned. “Are you in love with Romeo?” Charlie asked and Ruby gave a little shrug as she looked back up to her mother. “But you’re in love with April?”

Ruby bit her lip as she gave a little nod. “I know I love Romeo,” Ruby sniffed back. “And I could see myself having a great life with him but then April reappeared and....” Ruby covered her face with her face as she gave a scream of frustration. “Why is love so hard?”

“I really don’t know,” Charlie answered. “But sweetie, you really need to work out who you want to be with.” Charlie said.

“Can’t you tell me?” Ruby questioned.

“You know I can’t,” Charlie told her. “Only you know who you want, in here,” Charlie put her hands where he daughters heart would be. “Go with that, yeah?” Ruby gave a weak smile.

“Brax told me the same,” Ruby spoke softly. “I just....I’m pretty sure I know who my heart wants, but, at the same time, it doesn’t want to hurt the other person.” Ruby exhaled.

“I know,” Charlie said. “But once all that is over with and you get to be with this person and be happy....” Charlie trailed off. “Well that will be all that matters.” Charlie said, rubbing the tears from Ruby’s cheeks with her thumbs. Ruby gave her mother a weak smile, before taking a deep breath, knowing before any else happened with April, she really did need to do the right thing and break it off with Romeo.

“I think it’s going to be one of those nights where she keeps waking up.” Heath said as he walked back over to the couch from returning Katie to bed.

“It’s just because you wound her up at the zoo,” Bianca told him. “She was the same after her birthday.” Bianca cuddled into Heath as he wrapped an arm around her.

“Maybe,” Heath answered. “She had a great day though,” Heath smiled. “We should start doing more family days like that,” Heath suggested. “Can ask April along the next time too.”

“Yeah,” Bianca smiled. “We should.” Bianca looked up at Heath and her smile grew larger.

“What?” Heath questioned as she stared at him.

“Nothing,” Bianca shook her head. “I’m just really happy.” Bianca leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Really happy?” Heath questioned, putting his hand on her stomach and Bianca gave a little nod.

“Yeah, really happy.” Bianca grinned before they once again shared a kiss.

Heath raised his eyebrows as he pulled back, rubbing her cheek with his thumb. “You want to have an early night?” Heath questioned and Bianca nodded before standing up from the couch, pulling Heath up and into a kiss. It got a little more passionate as their bodies pressed together.

“Mummy.” Bianca groaned as they pulled back from the kiss. She looked down to Katie who was standing cuddling her new penguin teddy she’d got at the zoo and christened Polly penguin and also, of course her kitty teddy.

“What pumpkin?” Bianca bent down to Katie’s level.

“I’m not sleepy.” Katie said, Bianca seeing a yawn being pushed away.

Bianca raised the eyebrows. “Well it’s still bedtime,” Bianca told her. “All the other little boys and girls will be in bed.”

“Like Toby?” Katie questioned.

“Oh yeah,” Bianca nodded. “Ella and Noah too,” Bianca told her. “And all your friends at Kindy.” Bianca tucked Katie’s bed hair behind her ear.

Katie furrowed her eyebrows. “Well not me,” Katie said, giving a little jump. “We should dance.”

“We’re not dancing,” Bianca gave a little laugh as she lifted Katie into her arms. “You missus are going to bed.”

“Can I stay in you and daddy’s bed?” Katie questioned as Bianca started walking her back to her bedroom.

“No,” Bianca shook her head before looking to Heath. “I won’t be long.” Bianca mouthed and Heath gave a little grin before switching the TV off and making his way to their bedroom.

Thank you emmamurphy8, Red Ranger 1, Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments. :)

Thirty-five

Ruby walked into the apartment. All the lights were out and she was a little confused by this. It was just passed 9, so she knew he wouldn’t be in bed and considering they’d sort of made plans she was sure he’d be up. “Romeo?” Ruby questioned, walking into the living room, seeing Romeo sitting on the wooden floor, a few candles lighting up the room as some rose petals were scattered on the floor as a bunch of flowers were on the floor next to Romeo. He looked up at her and Ruby could see he was mad. “Sorry, I popped into mum’s on the way home.” Ruby explained as she walked into the room, noticing a big bowl of fruit plus a second bowl of melted chocolate.

“You said you’d come straight home after work.” Romeo exhaled, not making eye contact with Ruby.

“I’m sorry,” Ruby apologised again, seeing the effort he’d put in to them having a special night, she felt awful. She looked into his big, sad looking eyes and exhaled, before walking forward and kneeling down in front of him. “But, I’m here now,” Ruby said. “And maybe the candles have sort of almost burned out already but...” Ruby put her hand on his face, turning it so he was looking at her. “We can still have a nice night.”

Romeo sighed as he looked at Ruby. He put his hand onto her cheek and gently brushed over it. “You look like you have been crying. Is everything okay?”

“I’m fine,” Ruby answered, trying to sound truthful. “Let’s just have this special night, yeah?” Ruby gave a little smile as she ran her hand over his cheek before placing a soft kiss on his lips. Romeo wrapped his arms around Ruby, pulling her closer to him as the kiss intensified. Ruby knew it might be wrong, but, she wanted to give Romeo one last night before doing the right thing. No matter how much she didn’t want to hurt Romeo, her desire to be with April was much stronger and she needed to do the right thing and finish with Romeo before letting anything else happen with April.

“Mmm,” Romeo pulled back and tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear. “You want to start with chocolate fruit?” Romeo gave a little grin, wanting to feed his wife the treats.

“How about we skip back to the fruits later?” Ruby questioned, raising her eyebrows before lifting Romeo’s t-shirt from his body and throwing it to the floor, before smacking her lips against his in a passionate embrace.

Charlie, Brax and the kids were in line at the aquarium, waiting to get their tickets. Noah was holding Charlie’s hand and Ella was standing in between her parents as Toby making his way over to the fish tank that was in the entrance area. “Look at these fisheses,” Toby shrieked and Brax laughed at his son being excited at some goldfish.

“Ella go get your brother.” Brax said as he gently pushed on Ella’s back. Ella ran forward to get her brother.

“Toby,” Ella scolded as she pulled at his hand. “We’re not in the aquarium yet.” Ella dragged her brother back over to the queue.

“We is.” Toby scowled.

“No we’re not,” Ella retorted. “We need to get the tickets first.”

Toby frowned and went to make a run for it again but Charlie grabbed his arm, stopping him from moving. “Calm down buddy,” Charlie looked down to her son. “There’s lot of cool stuff to see once we get inside.”

Toby furrowed his eyebrows. “We see sharks?”

“Yeah there is,” Noah nodded. “And the dolphins do a show with balls,” Noah informed his brother. “Can we see it?” Noah looked pleadingly up at his mother.

“Sure we can,” Charlie answered as they stepped forward to the ticket seller. “Two adults and two children.” Charlie said as Brax took his wallet from his back pocket.

“Mummy, there’s 3 of us.” Noah said as he pulled on her arm.

“I know,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “But Toby is an under 5 so we don’t need to pay for him,” Charlie told her son. “They still get in for free, right?” Charlie questioned and the girl nodded as she printed off the tickets.

“Haha you’re not coming in.” Ella teased her brother, pointing to him and laughing.

“No,” Toby shrieked. “I want to see the fisheses mummy.” Toby gave a pout before looking like he was about to cry.

“You’re getting too,” Charlie said as Brax took his change from the girl. “Look here is your ticket.” Charlie passed a ticket down to Toby before giving one to Ella and Noah.

“Yeah see I come.” Toby waved his ticket in front of his sister before running ahead in the direction of the door. The kids handed their tickets to the man at the door and ran into the aquarium, heading in 3 different directions. Charlie and Brax looked at each other and rolled their eyes, both of them knowing it was going to be a long day.

April looked down to the envelope as she pursed her lips together, not knowing what to do with it. She was pretty sure she knew what it was and who it was from and if not the return address was a giveaway. Bianca and Heath were so happy right now and they didn’t need this causing them worry. She stood up and left her bedroom and walked through the living room, over to the kitchen. Just as she was about to rip it up and put it in the bin, Heath walked into the kitchen. “What you got there?” Heath questioned. April pursed her lips as she turned to face him, keeping the envelope behind her back.

“It’s nothing.” April answered, trying to drop it into the bin but it slipped down to the floor. Heath looked down to the yellow envelope before looking to April. He picked it up and looked down to the name. Miss K Braxton-Taylor. It was mail for Katie. His four year old daughter and there was only one person who he could think of that would send mail to his daughter.

“When did this come?” Heath questioned, ripping the envelope open and looking down to the card. It had Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty on it, each of them holding a string that reached up to a balloon in the shape of the number four. He opened it and the inside read To Katie, all my love on your birthday, Alice .

“Uhm, last week,” April answered. “I uhm...I didn’t know what to do with it so I hid it in my room then I forgot about it till now.” April told him.

Heath gave a little nod as he ran his hand over his hair. “Why now?” Heath questioned. “Why send a card now?”

April shrugged as she looked at the inside. “At least she’s signed it Alice,” April said. “Maybe she just...”

“No this isn’t good,” Heath sighed. “She said she didn’t ever want any contact. That her new life was in America, that she.....” Heath felt worried that his world was about to be ripped apart. He’d already let one woman take his daughter to another county, he wasn’t going to let the same thing happen again. “She’s not getting her back, April.”

“We don’t know that’s what this is,” April said. “It’s just a birthday card, Heath,” April exhaled, stepping forward and putting her hand on his. “Lets just put it in the garbage and pretend like we never even got it,” April said, taking it from his grasp. “Yes?”

Heath was silent for a moment before he nodded his head. “Yeah, yeah,” Heath cleared his throat. “And we don’t tell Bianca.”

“We don’t tell Bianca what?” Heath muttered something April thought to be a cuss word before turning around to see Bianca and Katie had returned for the supermarket. “Well?” Bianca questioned, waiting on an explanation.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Thirty-six

Charlie was watching as the kids threw little bits of bread from little cups into the Koi fish. She smiled as Brax took a few bits from Noah’s cup and threw it to the end of the pond, the kids laughing as they saw lots of bubbles as the fish fought for the food. Brax looked to her and they shared a smile before he walked over to the bench that was a few feet away from the kids. “You okay?” Brax questioned, sitting down next to his wife. “You look a bit distracted today.”

“I’m fine,” Charlie answered, choosing not to share with Brax her worries over Ruby just yet. “This is nice though,” Charlie smiled glancing at the kids who were laughing as they continued to throw food in for the fish. “Like it used to be, us out being a happy family.”

“Yeah,” Brax took her hand and rubbed it gently. “Can you imagine their faces when we tell them we’re getting back together?”Brax questioned.

“They might be a little pleased,” Charlie answered. “They might just crack a smile.” Charlie gave a cheeky grin and laughed a little.

“Noah’s really affected by it,” Brax said looking back to his eldest son who was sharing his bread with Toby who had quickly thrown all his away. He gave a little smile before looking back to Charlie. “Think I’m really going to have to prove myself to him,” Brax said. “That I won’t hurt you again and make you cry.” Brax spoke softly as he tightened the grip on her hand.

Charlie bit her lip as she looked away from Brax to her son. “He’s my little protector,” Charlie said with a smile. “He has such a sweet soul. But I’m sure you can convince him and the other two that you’ll be home to stay.” Charlie exhaled, looking back to Brax with a smile.

“Of course.” Brax whispered before they shared a quick kiss on the lips.

“Mummy stop Toby.” Ella’s voice was loud enough it was probably heard over the whole aquarium. Charlie and Brax looked up to see Toby was lying across the wall, almost putting himself in the fish pond.

“Toby Michael Braxton,” Charlie raised her voice as she ran over to him and lifted him back, putting him down on the floor. “You don’t do that.”

“I wanna swim with the fisheses.” Toby frowned saddened his fun was spoiled prematurely.

“Buddy you can’t swim with these ones,” Charlie told her son. “You get to feed them but that’s all, okay?” Charlie said and Toby gave a scowl before making a break for it, once again trying to climb into the pond.

“Right,” Brax scooped his son up with one arm before lifting him onto his shoulders. “Put you up there for your own safety.” Brax said before they walked away from the pond, Noah taking Charlie’s hand as Ella skipped in the middle of her parents.

“Can we see the stingrays?” Noah asked. “They look cool cos they’re flat and round but fishy.”

Brax screwed his face up and his son’s explanation. “No,” Ella said, skipping backwards so she was looking at her brother. “We’re going to the turtles, so there.” Ella stuck her tongue out.

“Sharks,” Toby bellowed from Brax’s shoulders. “Thems the cools ones.”

“M—u—m,” Ella shouted. “Tell them we are going to the turtles.” Ella stopped skipping and glared up at her mother.

“We will see the.....” Charlie looked around. “The penguins,” Charlie said, walking in the direction of the penguin house. “They are the closest, so yes. That’ll save argument.” Charlie muttered.

“I wanna see,” Toby tried to throw himself from Brax’s shoulders. “Lemme down.” Toby wailed as Brax put his arms up and grabbed onto his son.

“You have to calm down buddy,” Brax brought Toby down to the ground and held onto him as he bent down to his level. “The penguins aren’t going anywhere.” Brax said and Toby scowled before running off to the door of the penguins house.

“I too see them first.” Toby shouted before disappearing through the doors. Ella ran off after him before Noah took off too, leaving Charlie and Brax lagging behind.

April had taken Katie out to the park. Heath and Bianca were sitting in the living room, Bianca looking down to the card that she gripped tightly in her hand. “She wants her back.” Bianca kept her gaze on the card as she spoke.

“No,” Heath bent down before his wife and put his hand on her back. “It’s just a card.”

“Ahh Heath don’t,” Bianca shrugged his arm away. “You’re not that stupid. This is how it starts. She’ll send a birthday card then a letter then more letters then...” Bianca threw the card down as she stood up from the couch. “It’s only a matter of time.”

“Katie will not be taken from us,” Heath said. “We are her parents and this is where she’ll stay,” Heath exhaled. “We need to try and not worry about this because right now, this is just a card.” Heath said, pointing down to the card that now lay on the floor.

Bianca took a deep breath. “This day has been in the back of my mind for years,” Bianca spoke quietly. She feared if she spoke to loudly she’d cry. “This was always a possibility and it’s something we are now going to have to face.”

“We don’t know that,” Heath retorted. “Maybe it is just a card,” Heath said. “Look, babe,” Heath took her hands in his. He was of course worried for what this meant, but until anything else happened, he was trying not to let it get to him. “We need to try and not let this get to us,” Heath said. “For Katie. We’ll be no good to her if we are all worrying now will we?” Heath questioned and Bianca shook her head lightly. “So, for Katie we need to act as if this card never happened.”

“For Katie,” Bianca gave a little nod before bending down and picking the card up. She silently stared at it for a moment before she ripped it in half, then ripped it in half again then ripped it in half once more. She walked over to the bin and threw it in before looking around to Heath who was standing in the room, staring at his wife’s actions. “C’mon.” Bianca gestured for him to come over to her.

“Where are we going?” Heath questioned.

“To catch up with April and Katie.” Bianca said before they left the house, going to catch up with April and Katie so they could all go to the park together.

Ruby walked down the hall as she gave a yawn. “Morning,” Romeo smiled at his wife. “Just.” Romeo said, glancing at the clock on the kitchen wall.

“Huh?” Ruby rubbed her eyes.

“It’s 10 to 12,” Romeo gave a little laugh as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to him. “Someone tire you out last night? Again.” Romeo grinned before placing a kiss on her lips. After their closeness and love making on Friday night, the same thing had happened last night.

Ruby yawned once again. “You’d like to think that, huh?” Ruby questioned pushing his arms away and walking over to the coffee cafetiere and pouring herself a cup.

“What?” Romeo gave a sort of laugh.

“Uhm, so listen,” Ruby pursed her lips together, turning to face her husband. “There’s something I wanted to talk to you about.” Ruby took a drink of the coffee before screwing her face up at the taste, looking into the cup to see she’d forgotten to add milk. She discarded the cup onto the worktop before once again looking at Romeo who looked distracted as he was getting something out the bottom drawer.

“I forgot this came yesterday,” Romeo put the box on the breakfast bar and Ruby rubbed the side of her head before walking over to him. “You were out at the library doing your assignment all day then when you got back after dinner, well...” Romeo trailed off as he raised his eyebrows. “Let’s just say we got a bit distracted.”

“Let’s just say we had a night of sex, Romeo,” Ruby exhaled. “I was there, I know what happened.”

“Right,” Romeo rubbed the back of his head. “Anyways, it’s the wedding pictures.” Romeo beamed as he opened the box up, lifting out the album.

“Oh.” Ruby’s eyes widened. She’d already cheated on her husband before the wedding pictures even arrived. She shook her head at herself before looking down, seeing how happy and in love Romeo looked in the pictures.

“I hope you don’t mind that I opened them without you being here,” Romeo said. “But I just couldn’t wait to see them.” Romeo sounded deliriously happy as he looked through the pictures.

“It’s fine.” Ruby pursed her lips together as she ran her hand over a picture of Ruby and Romeo in the doorway of the Church. The love in his eyes very evident.

“This is one of my favourites,” Romeo said, moving the album on to a picture of Ruby by herself, leaning against a tree, her bouquet of flowers in her hand, Ruby looking up towards the sky. “You look breathtaking,” Romeo smiled lovingly up at her. “You’re so gorgeous.”

“Stop.” Ruby looked away feeling herself welling up.

“I’m only saying the truth.” Romeo smiled, wrapping an arm around her and placing a kiss on top of her head.

“What’s this?” Ruby took out a smaller box that was wrapped in silver paper. She ran her hand over it before looking questioningly to Romeo.

“A little something extra I got,” Romeo smiled as Ruby tore open the paper. She turned the silver frame around and saw a picture of her and Romeo, on their wedding day of course, and underneath a wedding invitation had been added into the frame. Ruby ran her hand over the photo, Ruby and Romeo looking into each other’s eyes and anyone looking at that photo would see a couple they thought to be very much in love. Ruby hated herself for the hurt she was about to bring on him. She sniffed back as she felt a tear rolling down her cheek. “Hey baby,” Romeo put his hand on Ruby’s chin and gently brought her head up to face him. “Love it that much it’s reduced you to tears huh?” Romeo questioned as he wiped a tear away with his thumb before placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“Uhm...” Ruby bit her lip as she stared up into his eyes.

“Hey,” Romeo took the photo from Ruby and put in on the breakfast bar along with the photo album before pulling her into a hug. Ruby held tightly onto Romeo as she softly kissed his chest. She knew any girl would be lucky to have him. He was the sweetest, more caring guy she’d ever met. “You okay?”

“I’m fine.” Ruby pulled back from the embrace and once again looking into his eyes and could see how in love he was. He gave her a smile before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on her lips, before letting it deepen a little.

“So what was it you wanted to say to me?” Romeo questioned, pulling back and tucking her hair behind her ear.

“It was nothing.” Ruby shook her head before Romeo smiled and kissed her once again, before leading her back to their bedroom.

Thanks for the comments. :D

Thirty-seven

Dexter had finally plucked up the courage and asked Adrian to move in with him and she’d happily accepted. She was taking a break from moving her stuff into the apartment and had met April at the beach, the girls sunbathing in the hot summer sun. “So how are things going on the Ruby front, if you don’t mind me asking?” Adrian questioned, turning her head to face April. On hearing the name Ruby, April couldn’t help but smiled and Adrian did seem to notice this. “Well judging by that look on your face, pretty good I’d say.” Adrian gave a little laugh.

“Uhm, yeah. I think so,” April answered. “We....we uhm...we slept together a few days ago,” April said, unable to remove the smile from her face, even at seeing Adrian’s shocked expression. “And we kissed on Friday after work,” April added. “But, she is married so...” April trailed off.

“But she slept with you,” Adrian’s voice was a sort of shriek. “Surely that has to mean something?” Adrian questioned, sitting up from lying down in the sand.

April sighed as she to sat up and turned to face her friend. “I hope so. Well I know she loves me, she’s told me but she’s also married and she doesn’t want to hurt Romeo.” April bowed her head down as she picked up a clump of sand and began to slowly let it fall through the gaps between her fingers.

“Well I can understand that, but,” Adrian paused for a moment. “But surely if it means she gets to be with you....” Adrian trailed off. “Cos otherwise you’re the one who is going to get hurt.”

“I know,” April exhaled. “But I can see it must be hard for her,” April said, once again picking up a clump of sand and letting it fall between her fingers. “And the last thing I want to do is rush her into making a choice,” April paused. “Of course I want her to be with me, but, sometimes you just have to wait for the things you want.”

“I guess,” Adrian said. “Just....don’t let her muck you around.”

“I won’t,” April told her, smiling at her concern for her. “But enough about me,” April said. “You and Dex moving in huh,” April judged Adrian’s arm. “Big step.”

“Yeah,” Adrian took a deep breath. “But, it felt like the right time, so...” Adrian gave a little shrug.

“Aww I’m pleased Dex has met a nice girl,” April said and Adrian gave a smile. April loved Dex, not in that way of course, but she very much loved him as a friend and was glad he’d managed to find love. “It’ll be marriage next, eh?” April gave a cheeky grin.

“One step at a time,” Adrian laughed nervously. “We don’t need rings for a while.” Adrian said.

“Aww but surely if you’ve moved in with him you see it heading that way?” April questioned.

“Oh yeah,” Adrian nodded. “But, there’s no rush. I’m only 20.” Adrian tucked her hair behind her ear. Although her style was emo when she first started dating Dexter, she’d changed a little since then. She no longer wore chokers and she’d taken her nose ring out, replacing it with a little silver stud. She still liked to have coloured streaks in her hair though, and right now, she had a purple streak through her light brown hair.

“Yeah,” April agreed. “And you’re still at uni. I couldn’t imagine being married at uni,” April exhaled. Well I guess there are mature students, but, you know what I mean, right?”

“Totally,” Adrian nodded. “You’re studying medicine, right?”

“Yup,” April nodded. “Couple of years left at uni then a couple more in a hospital setting...” April trailed off. “I know it’ll be worth it when I am finally a doctor but it’s a lot of hard work.”

“Dex complains enough about nursing,” Adrian gave a little laugh. “So I don’t even want to think about what being a doctor would take.”

“Nurses don’t have an easy time of it. Sometimes I think they work harder than us doctors,” April said and Adrian raised her eyebrows in surprise. “So, what were you doing again?”

“Art and Design,” Adrian answered. “We’re working on sculptures at the moment but I prefer abstract cos I can express myself more. We don’t have a set topic.”

“Yeah,” April nodded. “My ex did that. Sculptures I mean,” April said. “She was actually pretty good at it. Has a big exhibition coming up.”

“What’s her name?” Adrian asked.

“Carolyn Williams.” April said and Adrian widened her eyes.

“She’s more than pretty good,” Adrian said. “We studied a piece of her work before starting on our own sculptures,” Adrian exhaled. “She’s supposed to be the next big thing of the sculpture world.”

“Yeah,” April sighed. “Anyways,” April raised her eyebrows. “You going to have a party to celebrate you moving into Dex’s?” April questioned, keen to chance the subject from her ex.

“Nah,” Adrian shook her head. “And Dex is working night shift at the hospital tonight, so it’s my first night staying at his place, at least officially, and I’ll be on my own.” Adrian gave a sad pout.

“Aww,” April said. “I can come round with a bottle of wine,” April suggested. “You need to have a little celebration.”

“Sure,” Adrian smiled. “I can ask Ruby too, if you’d like. As long as you don’t make me feel like a 3rd wheel.” Adrian gave a little laugh.

“Could always ask some of your friends too.” April said, liking the idea of Ruby coming along.

“I’ll ask but they probably won’t come on a school night,” Adrian sighed. “But if you want to come round around 8?” Adrian questioned and April gave a little nod and even though she knew it would be wrong, she was excited at the prospect of something possibly happening again between her and Ruby.

Charlie, Brax and the kids were having lunch at the aquarium restaurant. They were sitting by a big window that was a fish tank, Toby’s eyes widening as he looked at the rainbow coloured fish that swam past. “Look mummy it’s Nemo.” Toby shrieked as he stood up on the chair, putting his hands against the glass.

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled as she looked to the side, seeing the fish swimming passed where they were sitting. “It’s cool huh?”

“Yeah it’s cool,” Toby replied with a giggle. “Can I get one for home?” Toby asked.

Brax rolled his eyes. “Nah buddy, we don’t need fish.”

“You no at house,” Toby scowled at his father. “Please mummy.” Toby looked to Charlie, giving her the most angelic smile ever before batting his eye lashes.

“Uh....” Charlie paused.

“Yeah, we all get fisheses,” Ella said, looking up from the dolphin picture she was colouring that the kids had each got when they sat down at the restaurant. “Nemo and Dory like ones.” Ella smiled as a Dory fish swam passed them.

“Sure you can get a teddy fish from the gift shop.” Charlie said and Toby and Ella frowned.

“No, a real one each mum,” Ella said. “We’d look after them.” Ella nodded her head, proving her case. Charlie exhaled, thinking at least they were only asking for a fish, a relatively easy pet to look after, but, she knew they’d get bored of them after a week or so and wouldn’t even care to look at them.

“We don’t really need a pet right now,” Charlie said. “Maybe in a couple years time, okay?”

“You have to promise,” Noah said. “I want a pet one day.”

“I promise you buddy,” Charlie smiled at her son. “You can get a pet one day.”

Noah smiled before going back to colouring his picture. “Mummy I need a poop.” Toby shouted before jumping down from the chair. Charlie stood up and walked away with her youngest son, taking him to the toilet. Brax watched as she walked away, smiling at her beauty.

“Dad?” Ella questioned, causing Brax to look back to his daughter.

“Yes petal?” Brax questioned.

“Well,” Ella scratched the side of her head before putting the crayon down on the table. “Why is you here too?”

“I’m spending the day with my family.” Brax told his daughter.

“But if you and mummy aren’t together why are you today?” Ella questioned, looking a little confused.

“Well....” Brax exhaled. “We just thought it would be a nice day for you kids,” Brax said, knowing soon Charlie and Brax would need to tell them they are getting back together. “Aren’t you having a good time?”

“The best,” Ella answered. “You should do more times like this.” Ella said. “Ay Noah?”

Noah looked to Brax as he gave a little nod. “If you don’t make my mummy cry.”

“I won’t buddy,” Brax spoke softly to his son, hating that he’d broken his trust in him and fractured their relationship. “I promise you.” Brax said and Noah gave a little smile, still looking unsure. Brax exhaled as he took a drink of his water. Even though he knew Noah would be over the moon and his parents reunion he also had the feeling that Noah would worry that he could hurt Charlie again.

Bianca, Heath and Katie were having lunch at the restaurant. “We go back to park?” Katie questioned before taking a big drink though the straw of her orange juice.

“We’re going to have lunch.” Heath told her.

“After lunch.” Katie gave him a look as if to say it was obvious that’s what she meant.

“We’ll see,” Heath answered. “What do you think, mummy?” Heath looked up at Bianca, who was staring down at Katie, a look of love in her eyes. “Bianca.” Heath leaned across the table, putting his hand on her arm.

“What?” Bianca questioned, looking at Heath.

“Katie,” Heath gestured to his daughter. “She wants to go back to the park after lunch.”

“Oh,” Bianca said. “Sure why not,” Bianca ran her hand over through Katie’s ponytail. “We may as well do what we can with her when we can.” Bianca mumbled, but not quite enough for Heath not to here.

“Hey,” Heath spoke quietly. “This isn’t not thinking about it, is it?” Heath questioned.

“I can’t help it.” Bianca sighed. “Heath she’s going to....” Bianca’s eyes misted over and Heath walked around the table and knelt down before her, rubbing her arms.

“No,” Heath shook his head. “We are Katie’s parents. This is her home. For the last 3 years Alice has been off doing God knows what when you’ve been here for that little girl,” Heath glanced at Katie but she seemed to interested in blowing bubbles with her drink than listening to what her parents were saying. “You’re the one who’s raised her and taught her to walk, to talk, to go potty,” Heath exhaled. “You’re the one who she goes to when she’s sick and who knows how to comfort her after a nightmare. You are her mother, Bianca and if it comes to it, then any judge will see that. She won’t be ripped away from the only home and more importantly, the only mother, she has ever known.” Heath lightly rubbed Bianca’s cheek.

Bianca took a deep breath, hoping what Heath said was right. “But what if -”

“No,” Heath interrupted. “Look, all we know right now is Alice sent a card,” Heath took a deep breath, hoping that was all it was ever going to be. “And until anything else happens,” Heath paused. “Which I hope nothing does,” Heath muttered. “We’re not worrying, okay?” Heath rubbed the back of Bianca’s head softly. Bianca looked to Katie who was still blowing bubbles in her juice. She smiled as she wiped her hand over her eyes before nodding as she looked back to Heath. He gave a little smile before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on Bianca’s lips, hoping that he was right and that Alice wouldn’t be making a reappearance any time soon.

Thank you so much for the lovely comments. :wub:

Thirty-eight

Ruby finished applying her mascara just as Romeo walked into the bedroom. “Ooh you look nice,” Romeo smiled, wrapping his arms around her from behind, placing a soft kiss on her neck. “Planning on surprising me with a nice night out?” Romeo grinned.

Ruby gave a little laugh as she pulled away from Romeo, standing up from the stool at her dresser and putting her make-up back into the make-up bag. “I’m going around to Adrian’s for a couple of drinks.”

“Ah,” Romeo gave a little nod. “Anyone else going?”

“Uhm,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “I think she asked a couple of friends from uni but they couldn’t make it,” Ruby answered. “So, yeah, just me and her.”

“Ah okay,” Romeo rubbed the back of his head. “You think you’ll be late?”

“Well we have school tomorrow so nope I wouldn’t expect so,” Ruby told him. “But you don’t have to wait up for me either.” Ruby added.

“I won’t sleep till I know you are home safe anyways.” Romeo told her.

“I don’t think we’ll be out on the town,” Ruby said. “Like I said, it’s just a couple of drinks at Adrian’s,” Ruby put her phone and wallet into her bag before walking out of the bedroom, looking for her apartment keys. “Damn where is my keys?” Ruby questioned walking into the kitchen and moving the tea-towel from the breakfast bar, wondering if they were hiding under there.

“I’ll just leave the door unlocked.” Romeo told her.

“But how am I supposed to get in downstairs?” Ruby sighed. “I’ll need to buzz you and you might be sleeping.”

“Well you’ve already said you won’t be late,” Romeo exhaled as Ruby continued to look around for her keys. “So it’s fine.”

“No, just....just give me yours in case,” Ruby held her hand out. Romeo sighed as he walked over to the hook by the door and took his keys off handing them to Ruby. “If you leave your keys on the hook when you get it you wouldn’t keep losing them.” Romeo said.

“Yeah yeah,” Ruby muttered stuffing the keys into her bag before walking back over to the fridge, pulling out a 6 pack of Corona’s. “I’ll see you later.” Ruby leaned up and quickly pecked his cheek.

“Have a nice night then.” Romeo smiled as he walked her to the door.

“You too.” Ruby shouted as she was already making her way down the stairs, excited to be able to spend some time with April.

Bianca walked back into the living room from putting Katie to bed. She looked down to Heath and stared at him for a moment before sitting down next to him, Heath wrapping his arm around her. “Everything okay?”

“Mmm.” Bianca pursed her lips together. She wasn’t going to mention anything because they weren’t supposed to be thinking about it, but it couldn’t really leave her mind now.

“So I know it’s early days, but,” Heath paused for a moment as he lightly ran his fingertips in a circular motion around her shoulder. “I’ve been thinking of baby names.”

“Wow, yeah it’s early.” Bianca exhaled, looking up to face him.

“So you haven’t thought about it at all?” Heath questioned.

“Well I’ve been trying to get used to the idea of us having another baby,” Bianca answered. “And if not that I’ve been trying not to be sick or trying to stop feeling ill,” Bianca said. “So, no, names haven’t crossed my mind.”

“Right,” Heath said. “Well what do you think of Dylan?”

Bianca gave a little smile. “I like it.”

“For a girl.” Heath said and Bianca screwed her face up.

“Dylan is a boy’s name,” Bianca told her husband. “It’s always been a boy’s name.”

“There are some girls called Dylan,” Heath answered. “I think it’s cute.”

“Well my little girl won’t be called Dylan,” Bianca answered. “Next you’ll be suggesting we call a boy Amanda.”

Heath gave a little laugh. “No, I won’t be suggesting that,” Heath said. “Just think about Dylan before you throw it away.”

“I have no objections to calling a son Dylan,” Bianca answered. “But, I will not call a little girl Dylan.” Bianca’s hand went to her stomach.

“Okay,” Heath sighed. “What about Jackson for a boy?” Heath questioned. “Or Axl?”

Bianca rolled her eyes before shaking her head. “Babe we have plenty time to start thinking about names,” Bianca told him. “Besides, you know Katie is going to throw all sorts of suggestions at us.”

“When we eventually tell her.” Heath sighed.

“I’m only 6 weeks,” Bianca exhaled. “Do you realise how long 8 months is going to feel to a 4 year old?” Bianca questioned. “Not to mention there’s still a higher risk of miscarriage. What if we tell her then I lose baby?” Bianca questioned.

“Don’t think about losing the baby.” Heath exhaled.

“I can’t help it,” Bianca sighed. “There’s always going to be that chance,” Bianca said. “I know things are more likely to go well, but, you never know what’s going to happen and we learned that the hard way,” Bianca exhaled, before taking a minute to compose herself. “Please just, let’s wait till I am nearer 12 weeks.”

“But you said at the zoo.....” Heath trailed off, still seeing a little bit of fear in Bianca’s eyes. “Okay,” Heath said. “We’ll wait a little longer.” Heath gave Bianca a weak smile before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“Thank you,” Bianca gave him a smile as she pulled back. “Now, fancy another early night?” Bianca questioned and Heath grinned before nodding his head as he stood up from the couch, pulling Bianca up with him.

Brax yawned as he walked down the hall and back into the living room. “She wouldn’t sleep,” Brax said, collapsing down onto the couch. “I’ve let her go on her Nintendo DS. Remind me to go back in 10 minutes to get her off it,” Brax said and Charlie gave a little nod. “Guess you got Noah down with no problems?”

“Of course,” Charlie answered. “He’s my easy child.” Charlie looked up to Brax and gave him a cheeky grin.

Brax raised his eyebrows. “He’s not happy with me,” Brax exhaled. “He keeps mentioning how I hurt you and how you cry for me,” Brax look down as he took Charlie’s hand in his. “Ella said to me she wanted more days like this, with all of us together and Noah agreed but said only if I don’t make you cry.”

“Look,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “This had been hard for him. He doesn’t want to see his mummy upset and....it was because you left that caused my upset and he knows that,” Charlie exhaled. “He just obviously wants me to be happy and is scared that being around you will just upset me.”

“I get that,” Brax exhaled. “But you know I never intend on hurting you again,” Brax squeezed Charlie’s hand. “I love you so much and....well I just want us to move on and start a new chapter of our lives together.”

“We can,” Charlie gave a little smile. “And I’ll talk to Noah,” Charlie exhaled. “And maybe after that we can tell the kids we will be a family again.”

“Yeah?” Brax gave a smile. “I’d like that.” Brax leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little as Brax wrapped his arms around her. He slipped his tongue into her mouth, before running one of his hands down her back and round to her thigh, going under her skirt and up towards her panties.

“Mmm, we’ve had a nice day, don’t spoil it.” Charlie said, pulling back. Brax exhaled as he bowed his head down sadly.

“We’re getting back together, I’m not with Nat anymore,” Brax sighed. “Why can’t we?”

“Because I don’t want to rush into this,” Charlie said. “We want to get this right, don’t we?” Charlie questioned. “We’re not going to just have sex a couple of times and that be all our problems solved,” Charlie exhaled. “Wouldn’t you rather take it slow and get it right than rush back into it?” Charlie questioned.

“I’d rather get to have sex with my beautiful wife.” Brax muttered.

“Brax.” Charlie sighed putting her hand onto his thigh.

“I know,” Brax sighed disappointedly. “We’re better to do this right.”

“For the kids too,” Charlie exhaled. “They don’t need us getting their hopes up just for us to break it off again,” Charlie said. “Slow is better right now.”

“Yeah,” Brax pursed his lips together. “I eh....I’ll get home then,” Brax said as he stood up from the couch. Charlie stood up after him and walked him to the door. “Goodnight.” Brax placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips.

“See you.” Charlie gave him a smile as she pulled back, before closing the door behind him. She took a deep breath before walking back through the house, going to get Ella off her DS and settle her to sleep.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Thirty-nine

Ruby, April and Adrian had turned a couple of drinks into a bigger night out and had ended up at La Rose. Ruby and April had been teasing Adrian that the blonde girl sitting at the bar was checking her out. “Here we go,” Ruby said, placing the drinks down on the table. Her and Adrian were drinking beers and April was having wine. “So, what did I miss?” Ruby questioned, sitting back down next to April, her hand going under the table and rubbing her knee. They stared at each other briefly and shared smiles.

“April here was just saying her favourite Family Guy character was Meg,” Adrian screwed her face up. “Meg? Meg?” Adrian’s voice rose. “Who likes Meg?”

“It’s because she’s voiced by Mila Kunis,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “Our girl here is obsessed with Mila Kunis.” Ruby said as she patted April’s knee before placing her hand back onto it.

“We’ll she’s so dreamy,” April said, fluttering her eyes. “Don’t you think she’s dreamy?” April questioned, shooting her eyes in the direction of Adrian. Adrian took a drink of her beer before shrugging her shoulders.

“It’s alright to say you think a woman is nice looking,” Ruby told her. “Doesn’t mean you are becoming a lesbian.” Ruby gave a little laugh before taking a drink of her beer.

“I know,” Adrian answered. “And yeah I guess she is very pretty.” Adrian said and April gave a little laugh.

“Very pretty?” April questioned. “She is way more than very pretty, she is drop dead gorgeous,” April shrieked before taking a drink of her wine. Ruby looked at April and gave a little laugh. “I still think you are gorgeous too,” April put her index finger on Ruby’s chest. “My gorgeous Ruby with her cute little nose.” April pinched Ruby’s nose before taking another drink of her wine, this time managing to spill some on her dress.

“I think she’s had enough to drink.” Adrian said, pulling the wine glass away from April.

“Aww no, I’m fine,” April said before looking back to Ruby. “I’m fine, right? Totally sober.” April pointed her finger in Ruby’s direction.

“Uhm,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Nah I wouldn’t call you sober, sweets.” Ruby said, once again rubbing her knee.

April gave a little laugh. “You’re fancy girl is coming our way.” April gestured in the direction of the blonde who was walking towards them.

Adrian looked worried as the girl sat herself down next to her. “Hey I’m Beth.” Beth smiled. Adrian opened her mouth but no words came out.

“Adrian,” April said. “Her name is Adrian.”

“Hey Adrian,” Beth gave a kind of seductive smile. “Thought I’d come keep you company. Make you feel like less of a third wheel with these two.” Beth gestured to Ruby and April.

“You think we are a couple?” April questioned.

“Looks like it,” Beth answered. “The looks you give each other’s and the little touches,” Beth said. “You’re not?”

“Technically n -” April started to speak but Adrian cut her off.

“I’m not gay so sorry but, I’m not interested.” Adrian said, suddenly feeling uncomfortable in the bar.

“So why are you in the lesbian bar?” Beth asked.

“Didn’t realise it was a rule to be a lesbian to come in for a drink,” Adrian replied. “But, my friends here are. At least she is,” Adrian said, pointing to April. “And this one is....” Adrian paused, not really sure what Ruby classed herself as.

“Look none of us are available so,” Ruby waved her hand as if shooing her away. “Go find someone else to hit on. You might have more luck.”

“You sure you’re not even a little curious?” Beth played with Adrian’s purple streak of hair. “You’re like....well hot.”

Adrian blushed. “I’m sure,” Adrian said and Beth sighed before walking away. The girls laughed once they were sure she was out of ear shot. “So, you said April wasn’t available,” Adrian raised her eyebrows. “What does that mean?”

“Yeah,” April looked confused. “What...what?” April questioned before hitting her face with her palm.

“Well, I...I am going to leave Romeo for you, I just....I just need to find the right time.” Ruby took April’s hand from her face and gave her a smile. April smiled back before leaning in a placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. Ruby wrapped her arms around April’s neck as the kiss intensified.

“Okay girls,” Adrian said, trying to get them to stop. “Hello....starting to feel like a third wheel here.” Adrian said and Ruby pulled back, much to April’s disappointment.

“Let’s go dance.” April jumped down from the seat and started making her way to the dance floor. Ruby shook her head before standing up with Adrian following behind.

“How much has she had to drink?” Adrian questioned.

Ruby shrugged. “I don’t think that much,” Ruby answered. “But April never was one to hold her drink,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “But we should probably get her home.” Ruby said fishing into her bag for her phone and seeing it was nearly 1.30am. “We weren’t supposed to be late and we all have uni tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” Adrian agreed. “We just need to find April first.” Adrian said before walking onto the dance floor, looking for April.

Charlie tossed and turned in her bed. She looked to the clock to see it was just passed 1.30am. She sighed as she got out of bed and walked down the hall to the kitchen, getting herself a glass of water. She looked round as she felt the presence of someone behind her. “I had a bad dream.” Noah rubbed his eyes as he walked into the light.

“Aww buddy,” Charlie opened her arms out and Noah walked into a hug. “You want to talk about it?”

Noah shook his head but then proceeded to tell his mother about the dream. “We was on a boat and daddy and Ella were in the water and a shark eated them.” Charlie ran her hand over Noah’s head.

“Ah it’s just a bad dream buddy,” Charlie said. “You’re daddy and sister won’t be eaten by a shark.” Charlie pulled her son into a hug.

“Promise?” Noah questioned and Charlie gave a little nod before walking Noah over to the kitchen table, Charlie sitting down and sitting Noah on her knee.

“Bud you know that daddy didn’t mean to make mummy sad, don’t you?” Charlie questioned and Noah gave a little shrug.

“He left us,” Noah spoke sadly. “And then you cried so you were sad.”

“I know I was,” Charlie exhaled. “But sweetheart sometimes it’s best for mummy’s and daddy’s to be apart even if they do still love each other because there’s too much shouting in the house. You didn’t like all that, did you?”

“No,” Noah shook his head. “But I don’t like you being sad and crying either.”

“I know you don’t,” Charlie said softly, hugging him close to her. “Mummy doesn’t like it either. But,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Me and daddy got on well at the zoo today, didn’t we?” Charlie questioned and Noah gave a little nod.

“Yeah it was the best day.” Noah smiled.

“And you know this wasn’t just daddy’s fault,” Charlie told her son. “I upset daddy too.”

“But he left,” Noah said. “He didn’t want to be with us anymore.”

Charlie felt her heart breaking at her son’s words. “Sweetie of course he did,” Charlie exhaled. “Daddy loves you so very much and will always want to be around you. Why do you think you get to go to his place?”

Noah shrugged. “Cos you want us to.”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. Although they had explained this to the kids when they first split up, they were younger, and at 5 and 2, maybe they were just too young to grasp it. “Daddy loves you very much and you’re his little man.” Charlie rubbed her son’s sides.

“I wish he loved you still,” Noah sighed. “Then you won’t be so sad.”

Charlie pursed her lips together to stop her eyes misting over. “He does,” Charlie told him. “Daddy loves me very much and....” Charlie bit her lip thinking maybe telling Noah would help him see Brax in better light and that he was no longer making her sad. “Me and daddy have been talking a lot lately, and maybe soon daddy will be coming home.”

“Really?” Noah’s face lit up as he turned it to face his mother. “Really truly?”

“Yeah,” Charlie rubbed her son’s cheek. “But this is a special secret that you can’t tell anyone okay?” Charlie questioned and Noah nodded, a huge grin on his face. Charlie knew the secret would be safe with Noah. If she’d told Ella or most especially Toby the whole town would know within seconds.

“And then you won’t be sad,” Noah shrieked. “It would be the best mummy.”

“I know,” Charlie smiled running her hand through her son’s hair. “But you mister have school tomorrow and it’s very late so let’s get you back to bed, yeah?” Charlie stood up, keeping her son in her arms and lifting him through to him bed, Noah hugging is mother tightly.

Ruby and April were in April’s bedroom. “I had such a great night.” April was almost shouting as she sat down on her bed.

“Shhh,” Ruby said quietly. “You’ll wake everyone up.”

“Shhh,” April put her finger against her lips. “Don’t want to wake them.”

“No, we don’t.” Ruby raised her eyebrows and she took April’s hands and lifted up to standing. She pulled down the zip on her dress before lifting it over her head.

“Ohhh,” April sang. “Am I going to get lucky?” April questioned, standing in the room in her undies as Ruby put the dress down in the stool by the dresser. She looked up to see April was swaying a little as she shook her head. She wished so much she could kiss her all over and make love to her, but, she knew it would be wrong until she’d broken up with Romeo and the fact April was pretty drunk made her not want to do it either. She closed he eyes for a moment, if only not to have to see April’s smoking hot body. She exhaled as she walked over to April’s bed and pulled her pyjamas from under her pillow. She helped her get into the shorts before she looked up at her smiling as April was already grinning at her. “You’re so sweet.” April smiled before smacking her lips against Ruby’s. Ruby’s knees weakened as the kiss intensified.

“Mmm.” Ruby pulled back. She took April’s bra off and discarded it to the floor. She tried not took look down, knowing if she saw her almost nakedness she’d most likely cave into what she really wanted. She put April’s singlet on her before she tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Why are you dressing me?” April questioned. “We should be undressing.” April raised her eyebrows, tying to get to the zip on Ruby’s dress as she kissed her neck.

“April you are drunk,” Ruby pushed her back and pulled the cover back on April’s bed. “C’mon, into bed.”

“Just a little bit,” April held her thumb and index finger close together. “I still know what to do,” April said and Ruby gave a little laugh. April looked into Ruby’s sparkling green eyes. “Can I tell you a secret?” April questioned.

“Sure.” Ruby was intrigued to hear what April was about to come out with.

“You were my first,” April whispered. “The first person I slept with.”

“I know.” Ruby gave a little nod, pushing on April slightly so she was sitting down on her bed.

“And I was your first,” April added. “At least the first girl.”

“Yep,” Ruby gave a curt nod. “You’re the only girl for me,” Ruby whispered, gently rubbing her cheek. “But I need you to go to bed now.” Ruby told her and April sighed as she lay down, Ruby placing the covers over her.

“Are you sure you’re not going to stay?” April questioned. “It’ll be fun.”

“I know it would,” Ruby smiled. “But I told Romeo I wouldn’t be late and it’s nearly 2am.” Ruby ran her hand over April’s brow.

“Tell him you stayed at Adrian’s,” April suggested. “I’d say he’d believe that.”

“I can’t risk it,” Ruby shook her head. “He might mention it to Dex then....” Ruby trailed off. “I promise we can be together properly soon then you’ll be sick of me I’ll be staying over that much.”

“No you’re wrong,” April exhaled. “I could never be sick of you. I love you way too much.”

“I love you too,” Ruby whispered before placing a soft kiss on April’s lips. “Goodnight.” Ruby said before leaving the house and making her way back to her apartment.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Forty

April groaned as she walked into the kitchen of the diner. She put the empty plates down by the dishwasher and jumped a little at feeling someone’s hands wrap around her. “Missed you.” April pushed his hands away.

“I’ve rather enjoyed not working with you the last few days.” April said lengthening the space between her and Pete.

Pete laughed. “You dig me really,” Pete said. “C’mon, let me take you out on a date.”

“What part of I am a lesbian don’t you understand?” April questioned. “I like women. Women Pete, not guys and definitely not you.” April said hoping Pete would get the message.

Pete grinned. “Sure and I’m a blue monkey,” Pete exhaled. “But hey if you need more time,” Pete said. “I’m sure you’ll be worth the wait.” Pete patted April’s arm before walking out of the kitchen. April exhaled before looking at the clock, before she walked out of the back door and down to the beach as it was time for her break. She leaned against the fence just before the sand and exhaled, holding her head in her hands.

“Feeling rough?” April looked to the side and gave her a smile.

“I’m not too bad,” April answered. “My head hurts a little, but as far as hangovers go this one is manageable.”

Ruby laughed. “It was a good night.”

“Yeah.” April smiled.

“Like you would know.” Ruby teased, nudging April’s arm.

“I remember everything,” April said. “Thanks for getting me home and into bed.” April raised her eyebrows.

“It’s alright,” Ruby answered. “That’s what friends do.”

“Friends?” April exhaled before bowing her head down. “I wish we could just be...” April trailed off. She’d already said she wouldn’t push Ruby, knowing it must be hard for her to leave her husband, but, she couldn’t help it. She just wanted to be with her so badly.

“I know,” Ruby put her hand onto April’s arm. “Soon, I promise.”

April gave a weak smile. “So I’m finished my shift in two hours,” April exhaled. “Heath is working till late and Bianca is going to some fundraiser at the hospital with her SIDS support group friends so....” April bit her lip. “I’ll have a free house.”

“What about Katie?” Ruby questioned.

“She is going to Irene’s for dinner,” April explained. “So, like I said I’ll have a free house, just so you know.” April raised her eyebrows and Ruby bit her lip before giving a little smile.

“Well uhm,” Ruby cleared her throat. “That’s good to know,” Ruby gave a little smile as she raised her eyebrows. “I’ll see you.” Ruby patted April’s arm before continuing to walk in the direction of her apartment, leaving April wondering if she would be getting a visit from her or not.

The kids were all sitting on the couch, staring up at their parents all wide eyed. “Is we in troubles?” Toby questioned.

“Nah buddy not this time.” Brax laughed at his son before looking to Charlie and the pair exchanged a smile. He raised his eyebrows before sitting down on the coffee table, looking as the three sets of eyes continued to look at him.

“Daddy and I have something we wanted to talk to you about.” Charlie said, sitting down next to Brax, placing her hand on his thigh. She looked to Noah and he gave her a little smile.

“Is we getting a baby?” Toby questioned as he scratched the side of his head.

“No no no no no,” Charlie shook her head. “This is uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Well daddy and I have decided that we are going be together again.” Charlie said and Toby and Ella’s eyes lit up.

“Like proper?” Ella questioned.

“Yes,” Brax answered. “And one day soon daddy will move back home.”

“Wow,” Ella shrieked. “This is the best ever.” Ella clapped her hands in excitement before she jumped up from the couch and ran from the room.

“Where is she going?” Brax gave a sort of laugh as he looked around to Charlie who shrugged her shoulders before they looked back to the boys, Toby jumping on the couch screaming something about daddy, mummy, together and home before Brax looked to Noah. “You happy about this, bud?” Brax questioned. Noah gave a little nod before he stood up and hugged Brax before leaning against Charlie. She wrapped an arm around him as he continued to look at his father.

“You won’t make her sad again?” Noah questioned and Brax shook his head.

“I won’t buddy,” Brax leaned forward and ruffled his hair. “I love your mummy very much.”

Noah smiled. “Good. I’m very happy.” Noah jumped forward into Brax arms and he held onto his son as he looked up to Charlie and they smiled before looking to Toby who was still jumping up and down on the couch.

“You need these, mum,” Ella’s voice could be heard before she was seen. “You put them back on,” Ella appeared before Charlie and handed her her wedding and engagement ring. “And daddy, where is yours?”

“It’s at my house right now,” Brax exhaled looking to see Charlie didn’t seem too enthused about putting her rings back on right now.

“Oh sweetie,” Charlie shook her head. “Mummy and daddy still have stuff to work through before I put these back on.”

Ella furrowed her eyebrows. “Well we need to have a party,” Ella gave a jump. “We need balloons and cupcakes and chips and music and oh I need to go plan.” Ella screeched before running down to her bedroom. Charlie and Brax laughed at all of their children’s excitement before leaning forward and sharing a soft kiss.

Ruby ran her fingers through April’s hair as her head was nestled in the crook of her neck. “I’m glad you came.” April mumbled, her hand caressing Ruby’s stomach.

“I’m glad I came too,” Ruby replied and April looked up to her and both girls raised their eyebrows and gave a cheeky laugh. “No, I uhm...I really thought twice about turning up but I uhm....the heart wants what the heart wants.”

April smiled again. “I’m very glad your hearts wants me.” April said before they shared a kiss.

Ruby pulled back and looked into her eyes. “April...” Ruby bit her lip. “Can you tell me about your ex?”

“Why?” April screwed her face up.

“I’m just.....curious.” Ruby exhaled, entwining her hand with Aprils.

“Okay, well,” April pursed her lips together. “She’s called Carolyn but everyone except her mother calls her Carly,” April exhaled. “She’s 27 and -”

“Oooh an older woman.” Ruby teased.

“Only 5 years,” April said. “So not that much,” April clicked her tongue. “She’s a sculptor and...” April shrugged. “I don’t really know what else to say about her.”

“Why did you break up?” Ruby questioned.

“She was talking about starting to settle down and get married and was talking about having a family. I was still at uni so we were just at different stages in our lives,” April said. “So, we had a talk one night and decided it would be best to part ways,” April exhaled. “It wasn’t really anything bad. Why do you want to know?”

Ruby looked into April’s eyes. “Because you’ve been broken up all of a month and I don’t want to be a rebound,” Ruby exhaled. “Especially if I’m going to leave Romeo for you.”

“Oh Rubes, you would never be a rebound.” April spoke softly before placing a kiss on her lips. Ruby looked into April’s eyes and gave a smile, knowing she was over Carolyn and that more importantly; she’d never be just a rebound.

“I know.” Ruby smiled as they once again kissed.

“And you know, I...” April clicked her tongue. “I kinda maybe had a one night stand when I first moved back here.”

“How can you kinda maybe have a one night stand?” Ruby questioned, propping her elbow against the mattress and using her hand to support her head.

“Okay, I did have a one-night stand,” April told her. “So, technically I’ve had my rebound.”

“A tattoo, a one night stand, sleeping with a married woman....” Ruby trailed off. “What has Cairns done to you?” Ruby gave a little laugh before leaning down and placing a kiss on April’s lips, this one intensifying quickly as April wrapped her arms around her and pulled her in so their bodies were touching. “Mmm I love you April.” Ruby murmured as April pushed her down to lying and she straddled herself over her thighs.

“I love you too.” April said as she leaned forward and kissed her lips softly before quickly kissing a line down to her neck as her hands caressed her breasts. She kissed down to them, kissing each one in turn before slowly kissing down Ruby’s stomach.

Archived