Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thank you for the comments. :wub:

Twenty-one

It was now the day of Katie’s fourth birthday party. The kids were running around the garden, having lots of fun, while Heath and Brax were working on the barbeque. April and Leah were doing their best to keep Natalie in good spirits, given it had only been 3 days since her sister died and Miles was filling up the paddling pool so the kids could have a little paddle. Charlie was in the kitchen with Bianca, helping her prepare the salad. “Kids are having a blast.” Charlie looked out the window, smiling at seeing them having some fun, especially for her children, seeing both mum and dad together.

“Yeah,” Bianca answered. “And Katie got too much, you guys spoiled her.”

“It’s her birthday, she’s supposed to be spoilt,” Charlie said as she started chopping up the cucumber. She looked to her friend, who was cutting up some tomato and pursed her lips together as she saw she still that look behind her eyes. She knew Bianca was worrying over something. “You know you can talk to me about anything, right?” Charlie put the knife down and leaned her hands against the worktop.

“Yeah,” Bianca screwed her face up. “I know that.” Charlie half expected Bianca to say something more but she just continued chopping up the tomatoes.

“Just wanted to make sure.” Charlie exhaled as she picked the knife back up, figuring Bianca would talk to her when she was ready.

“How’s things been with you and Brax since you’ve had to hold off on this big reunion?” Bianca questioned, throwing the tomatoes into the salad bowl, where the lettuce and onion already sat.

“Fine,” Charlie exhaled, chopping up the last of the cucumber. “It’s hard. We want to be together but feel right now we can’t.” Charlie sighed, putting the knife down and lifting the cucumber into the salad bowl.

“Well I think he’s doing the right thing,” Bianca said as she mixed the bowl a little so the salad was more mixed. “She needs support right now, not to be dumped.”

“I think that too,” Charlie’s tone was sad, although Bianca could hear she really did mean what she said. “Losing someone is never easy and you need people around you for that.”

“So you’re alright with this then?” Bianca questioned.

“Well I never said that,” Charlie answered. “Of course I’d rather he dumped her and was with me, but,” Charlie gave a little shrug. “Right now that just can’t happen and you know, life was never meant to be easy.”

Bianca exhaled as she picked up the salad bowl as Charlie threw the tongs in before she picked up the plates. “Don’t I know that,” Bianca murmured as they walked back outside, the paddling pool finally ready, but now so was lunch so the kids would need to wait that little bit longer to get in. Katie leaned forward and took a piece of cucumber from the bowl, munching it like she was a chipmunk. Toby watched her and giggled before taking a piece and doing the same, both Charlie and Brax looking amazed he’d voluntarily took something healthy to eat. “You look like you’ve had some fun.” Bianca smiled down at her daughter.

“Yup,” Katie nodded. “Me n Toby,” Katie told her. “He’s my boyfriend.”

“I don’t think so,” Bianca laughed. “He’s your cousin.”

“No,” Katie shook her head. “We’re getting married.” Katie said, resulting in the adults laughing, even Natalie managing a laugh.

“No laughing,” Katie said as her little face was getting redder. “We wills.”

“Sweetie you can’t marry your cousin.” Brax said as Ella sat on his knee, Brax wrapping his arm around her, keeping her in place.

“I no marry you,” Toby looked disgusted. “I marry mummy.” This made the adults laugh even more and Toby hid his head against the table.

“No mummy is married to daddy,” Noah said. “You can’t marry your mummy anyways.”

“No,” Ella shook her head. “They live in different houses so they don’t be married anymore.” Ella said before taking a drink of juice.

“Mummy had sex.” Toby said as he looked back up to the group. Charlie felt herself going red as all eyes were on her.

“Toby,” Charlie looked at her son. “That’s private. You don’t say things like that.”

“You did,” Toby furrowed his eyebrows. “You said to Auntie Leah at da beach.” Charlie and Leah exchanged a glance and Bianca looked between the two, knowing exactly who they’d been talking about.

“What’s sex?” Toby questioned looking to all the adults who were staring at him.

“When you love some you do sex,” Ella informed her brother. “Who do you love mummy?”

“Daddy,” Noah answered on his mother’s behalf. “She cries for daddy.” Natalie looked to Charlie and could see from the look on her face that what Noah said was true.

Brax watched as Charlie looked like she was struggling to find the right thing to say. “Right kids, mummy’s already said we don’t talk about things like that,” Brax told them, his tone a little stern. “Now let’s just eat lunch while the burgers are hot yeah?” Brax questioned and Noah nodded, already leaning forward and taking one from the plate Heath had just put on the table.

“So how was Katie’s party today?” Ruby questioned as they walked along the sidewalk, making their way to the pub. They were on a night out for Emma’s - one of the girls who worked at the diner - birthday. April thought twice about going. She’d only done two shifts and didn’t really know anyone. Well of course she knew Ruby, Irene, Leah and Colleen but other workers were strangers to her, but Bianca had told her it would be worth going so she could get to know them and it was nice of Emma to ask her when she’d only just started. Colleen had turned down the offer to the pubs, but had came to Charlie’s for a couple of drinks before they all left for town. Leah and Irene also made an exit after Charlie’s, leaving the younger ones to go out on the town by themselves.

“It was good,” April answered. “You know for a kids’ party. Things got kind of interesting though,” April said and Ruby raised her eyebrows, intrigued. “Toby declared that your mother had had sex and Noah said it was with Brax because she cries for him.” April said.

“Oh,” Ruby widened her eyes. “Kinda glad I was working then. Would be a bit awkward, no?”

“Oh yeah,” April nodded. “Natalie looked pretty suspicious too.”

“So you think she thinks something is going on with them?” Ruby questioned and April gave a shrug.

“Is there?” April questioned.

“I honestly don’t know,” Ruby shrugged. “Mum mentioned stuff was developing but I don’t know entirely what she meant by that.” Ruby and April looked both ways before crossing the road, trying to catch up with the group. They’d somehow lagged behind and this was really the first time they’d talked all night. Ruby busying herself with the others and Pete mostly keeping April to himself.

“Well it got pretty awkward for a while.” April sighed.

“You know what doesn’t feel awkward?” Ruby asked and April looked at her questioningly. “This,” Ruby pointed between herself and April. “Us, hanging out. I thought it would feel awkward because we used to, you know,” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “But it doesn’t,” Ruby said. “I mean, it doesn’t exactly feel normal but,” Ruby gave a little shrug. “It’s not so awkward.”

“No, it’s not,” April couldn’t help but give a little smile. Ruby looked beyond gorgeous tonight and she would grab her and kiss her if she wasn’t married or at least if she was 100 percent sure if she knew it was what Ruby wanted too. “Can I ask you a question?” April said. She needed to know this; her curiosity was getting the better of her.

“Sure,” Ruby sounded a little worried. “What is it?”

April took a deep breath before talking. “Am I the only girl you’ve dated?”

“Oh,” Ruby was taken aback. She didn’t expect this to be the questioned. “Uhm, well I went on a few dates with this girl shortly after you left,” Ruby answered. “But I....I liked the kissing...it was....nice, I know I do like women, but,” Ruby bowed her head down as her voice got quieter. “She wasn’t you. I thought there’s no point in trying because I’m never going to love anyone like I love you so why bother trying.” Ruby said and April widened her eyes. She expected Ruby to correct herself and say like I loved you but she didn’t. Maybe Ruby didn’t realise what she said or maybe she did and that was what she was supposed to say.

“Ruby do you -” April started to talk but was cut off by Pete who came running over to them, wrapping his arms around April’s shoulders from behind.

“Whatya doing out here girlies?” Pete slurred, already having had a lot to drink.

“Just chatting.” April lifted his arms from herself and stepped to the side.

“Well why don’t you come to the pub and I’ll get you lovely ladies a drink?” Pete questioned, keeping his gaze on April.

“Not for me,” Ruby answered. “I’ve had enough to drink.”

“You’ve only had about 2 glasses,” Pete laughed. “C’mon, you need to catch up with me.” Pete pointed to himself as he wobbled a little.

“No I can’t drink that much.” Ruby answered and April knew exactly what she meant, with both her diabetes and her transplant her drinking was kept limited.

“So, you are going home?” Pete asked, talking to Ruby but giving April a cheesy smile.

“I never said that,” Ruby answered. “I’ll just not be drinking anymore. You know you can still have fun without getting drunk.”

“But it’s so much more fun when you are drinking,” Pete answered. “But fair enough. I won’t force you. What about you, pretty?” Pete said as he grabbed hold of April’s hand. “Can I get you a drink?” Pete questioned.

April bit her lip. She didn’t want to go encouraging him, but she wanted another drink and she didn’t have much money left and figured it was safer keep it for a taxi home. “Sure. One drink.” April answered and Pete smiled at her.

“Well I’m just going to have a ciggie then I’ll be right in,” Pete smiled. “Unless you want one too?” Pete said, pulling the pack of cigarettes from his back pocket and handing the pack out to April.

“No. We’ll see you in there,” April said as she and Ruby walked into the pub. “You won’t leave me alone with him, will you?” April looked worried as she turned to face Ruby.

“Don’t worry. I won’t go anywhere.” Ruby said, surprising April as she linked arms with her before they walked through the bar to find some seats.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the comments. :)

Twenty-two

Ruby wasn’t sure how it happened but she’d drank a couple more drinks and was now in the gay bar with April. They were on the dance floor and her and April were dancing in a very friendly way. “You want to go for a seat?” Ruby questioned, pulling April closer to her and talking into her ear as the music was blasting so loudly if she talked normally April would have no chance at hearing her.

“Sure.” April nodded as they walked away from the dance floor, walking outside to sit down. Neither of the girls smoked so they didn’t need to be there but it was way too hot in the bar and the music was at a level where you could still have a normal conversation.

“Bet you are glad we lost Pete?” Ruby said, welcoming the late night breeze.

“Oh no I am totally gutted,” April joked. “He would be the one I’d turn for,” April said and Ruby gave a little laugh. “But seriously,” April cleared her throat. “Yes. I am.”

“He’ll get bored of the chase soon enough,” Ruby said as she rubbed her side, a slight pain beginning to be felt but Ruby just figured it would be from all the dancing. “Or maybe you need to go find a hot chick and make sure you pash in front of him. That might give him the message.” Ruby laughed as she started playing with the elephant pendant.

“Can I ask you another question?” April said as she tried to keep her focus on Ruby but she’d probably had one drink to many for that to happen.

“Sure.” Ruby answered.

“Why do you still wear my necklace?” April said, biting her lip as she waited on a reply. There was no way she’d have asked if she was sober, but under the influence of alcohol everything changes.

“Uhm,” Ruby looked down slightly, keeping the pendant in her hand. “I....I like it,” Ruby answered. “I...just because we broke up doesn’t mean I need to stop wearing the necklace. It was a gift from you and I...” Ruby paused, not really having a clue how to answer. She exhaled as she looked into April’s deep brown eyes. “It makes me feel like you are still with me.” Ruby spoke quietly the urge to be honest with April getting the better of her. April smiled as she looked into Ruby’s mesmerizing eyes. She slowly moved forward, bringing her hand up and resting it against Ruby’s cheek, rubbing her thumb very lightly across her face. Ruby bowed her head down, breaking the eye contact. April exhaled as she slowly pushed Ruby’s head up to face her face before smiling lightly as she leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her lips. Ruby felt herself relaxing as she let the kiss deepen, both girls feeling strange but welcome feelings in the pits of their stomachs. April rested one hand on Ruby’s thigh while the other wrapped around her back as Ruby’s hands were already wrapped around April’s waist, the kiss all the while become more intense as their tongues darted around each other’s mouths. Ruby eventually broke it off and stared at April, the look on her face showing she couldn’t quite believe that April had just kissed her.

“I’m sorry, I -” April wasn’t really sorry. She liked that kiss. Loved that kiss and wanted to do plenty more kissing with Ruby.

“I should go.” Ruby said before standing up and making a rather quick exit from the pub.

Charlie turned around in the bed. She sighed as she read 2.03 on the digital clock. She was still wide awake. She pulled the cover right up to her chin. Despite it being summer there was a rather wild thunder storm going on outside, the wind being heard whistling through the window as the rain battered against it. She looked to the door as she heard it creek open and sat up in her bed as the outline of her youngest came into view, Toby running across the room, his chocolate curls bobbing up and down. “Hey buddy, can’t you sleep?” Charlie questioned as he crawled into bed next to her.

“Stupid wind an rain an thunder,” Toby scowled. “To loud.”

“It is isn’t it?” Charlie cuddled her son closer to her. “I still thought you’d be sleeping,” Charlie told her son. “You tired yourself out at Katie’s party today.”

“Yes,” Toby yawned. “But the wind mummy I said.” Toby moved some hair from his face. Charlie figuring it was probably time to get him a haircut.

“Yes, sorry.” Charlie said.

“Silly mummy,” Toby giggled. “Can I phone daddy?” Toby questioned. This request surprised Charlie. Toby was such a mummy’s boy, much like Noah and if anyone wanted to talk to Brax when they were with her it would usually be Ella.

“Not right now,” Charlie answered. “It’s a bit early to call someone.”

“He’ll be home.” Toby said.

“Actually he won’t be home,” Charlie told him. “He’s gone to Sydney with Natalie.” Charlie said. After the party Brax and Natalie left for the city, going to spend a few days with Sam and the kids and of course to attend the funeral.

“He’s got a self phone.” Toby sighed.

“It’s a cell phone.” Charlie looked up as she heard Ella’s voice and saw Noah trailing in behind her. Ella threw Rosie ragdoll on the bed to claim her spot before the twins jumped onto the bed and got under the covers.

“That’s what I said,” Toby sighed. “Phone him mummy.”

“No,” Charlie said. “I can’t call daddy at this time.” Charlie looked down to the 3 sets of eyes looking up at her. Ella’s and Toby’s the same shade of deep blue and Noah’s the same green as Brax’s.

“Can we call him tomorrow then?” Ella questioned as she made sure Rosie was safe next to her.

“Yes, first thing in the morning,” Charlie answered, not having a problem with this idea. If it was possible she’d always let the kids talk to Brax when they wanted. They went to his place every Wednesday night and every second weekend and although they often saw him around town, she knew it must be strange to all of a sudden not see your dad every day and even now, after 10 months of separation the kids still found being away from Brax for a long time difficult. She wanted to tell them that soon, daddy would be back home and they could talk to him till their heats content, but she knew she shouldn’t, not yet at least. “You two aren’t scared of the thunder, are you?” Charlie questioned, just as a loud crack of thunder could be heard. All three of the kids jumped and Toby cuddled more into Charlie. She rubbed his back in comfort.

“I just seeing you is okay.” Ella said but Charlie knew by the look on her face she was indeed scared of the storm.

“Aww well that’s very nice of you,” Charlie played along with her daughter. “In fact, I think mummy would need you all to sleep in here tonight.” Charlie said, knowing that there was no chance of the kids going back to their own beds anyways.

“Yes, it’s best.” Ella answered as she punched the pillow a few times, getting it just right so she could lie down.

Noah giggled. “Sing that song mummy.”

“Oh no,” Charlie answered, knowing what song Noah wanted. “Mummy’s not singing.”

“Yeah,” Toby cheered. “I too.” Toby held his hand up in the air. Charlie gave a laugh, loving moments like these with her kids. Noah started the singing off and everyone soon joined in, of course starting at 4 instead of 10.

“There were four in the bed and the little one said,” They all stopped singing apart from Toby. Toby sang as loud as he could. “Roll over, roll over,”. Everyone joined in again as the singing continued. So they all rolled over,” Charlie raised her voice over the kids’ singing, deciding to change it up a little. “And mummy tickled everyone,” Charlie sang before ticking the kids, moving her hands around so she was tickling all three. The kids burst into giggles and Charlie started to laugh too after hearing her kids’ infections laughs. Noah managed to break free from Charlie and stood up on the bed.

“No, no,” Noah said. Charlie stopped tickling Ella and Toby and looked up to Noah, waiting to hear what he was going to say. ”And tickled mummy,” Noah giggled at his idea as he sang before all 3 kids jumped on Charlie, each of them tickling a different place. Charlie burst into laughter as did the kids as they continued to tickle her all over, Charlie trapped as 6 little hands were moving over her.

Heath squinted his eyes as he walked into the light. “Storm keeping you up?” Heath yawned as he sat down on the couch next to his wife. Bianca gave a little nod as Heath wrapped his arm around the small of the back and placed a kiss on her temple. He looked down to see she had a photo album in her hands that she was looking through. “Can’t believe he’d be nearly 6 now.” Heath spoke with a saddened tone as he looked at a picture of his son.

“I wonder if he’d have been like me or you.” Bianca said quietly, keeping her gaze on the picture of her with her Rocco when he was only a few months old.

“Look at that handsome little face,” Heath smiled. “He was gorgeous, he was all you.”

Bianca gave a weak smile. “Bet you’d have him surfing already,” Bianca said. “Can see him, out on his little board with you, Brax, Ella and Noah,” Bianca sniffed back. “Toby and Katie running in behind you with their boogie boards.” Bianca added.

“Toby, really?” Heath widened his eyes. “You think Charlie’s going to let that wild one out in the open sea?” Heath questioned and Bianca managed a little laugh.

“I’m sure Brax is keen to get him out there,” Bianca answered. “The twins were 3 when they got their first boogie board. You Braxton’s learn young huh?”

Heath gave a little shrug. “The sea is like our home,” Heath answered. “Just...I dunno, it’s calming.”

Bianca gave a little smile as she looked into Heath’s eyes. “He had your eyes,” Bianca turned the conversation back to Rocco. She looked down to the album and turned the page. “Soft, caring eyes,” Bianca smiled. “You may put on a hard man exterior but your eyes...” Bianca trailed off and gave him a smile. “Do you think....do you think that it’s possible to happen again?” Bianca questioned, worry in her tone.

“What that this kid also gets my eyes?” Heath questioned. “I’d say so.”

“Heath.” Bianca sighed.

“I....” Heath exhaled. Of course anything was possible to happen at any time. “It won’t,” Heath rubbed her back. “We were just really unlucky the last time.”

Bianca exhaled, putting one hand on her stomach while keeping the other on the photo album of her son. “I’m scared, Heath. I’m so scared of history repeating.” Heath saw tears forming in Bianca’s eyes.

“Don’t be scared,” Heath told her. “The chances of it happening again are so slim,” Heath said. “Just....just try and enjoy this pregnancy.” Heath said as he placed his hand on top on Bianca’s. Bianca took a deep breath, knowing she did need to stop worrying, and chances were that everything would be fine, but given their past, she just couldn’t not worry.

Thank you beebee, Red Ranger 1 and Sarah for the comments.

Twenty-three

Ruby flushed the toilet but wasn’t finished with the throwing up yet. She gagged before once again, throwing up. “Someone had too much to drink last night.” Romeo said as he walked into the bathroom with a glass of water for his wife.

“No I didn’t,” Ruby said taking the glass from her husband. “Okay, so I probably had one glass to many but I wasn’t drunk. You know I can’t drink a lot.” Ruby said before taking a drink of the water.

“Yeah,” Romeo answered. “So you think it’s a bug then?”

Ruby gave a shrug as she once again flushed the toilet. “Maybe I just ate something that didn’t agree with me,” Ruby said. “Aren’t you giving someone a surf lesson today?” Ruby questioned glancing at the time and seeing he probably should have left the apartment by now.

“Yeah,” Romeo looked down to his watch. “But I can cancel if you want me to stay with you.”

“No,” Ruby replied. “I’ll be fine. You need to go to work. We need money to pay the bills,” With Ruby still a full-time student and only working part time at the diner and Romeo’s surf school being rather slow at taking off they often struggled with paying rent on their apartment and having enough money for food. “Which reminds me, did you apply for that job at the fish place?”

“Ruby I don’t want to work in a stinky fish factory.” Romeo screwed his face up.

“Well if you want to keep a roof over our heads and eat then I suggest you do apply for the job,” Ruby exhaled. “I’m not saying you need to work there for life. Just to get us a bit more money for now. I’ll finish uni in a year and get a good job then you can go be a beach bum surf teacher.” Ruby said.

“I thought you wanted to do teaching though?”Romeo questioned.

“Well that’s just more time in uni and not out working and making money so maybe I’ll not do the teaching part and just get a job in the music industry,” Ruby said. “It’s called making a sacrifice. We can’t afford for me to go to uni for another....however many years,” Ruby said, her voice getting snappy. “Please go and see about that job, Romeo.”

“Okay,” Romeo sighed as he held his hands out to the side. “See you later.” Romeo said before making an exit from the bathroom. Ruby exhaled as she heard the front door slamming shut before she rubbed her side as she winced, the pain from last night only getting worse. She pushed herself up to standing and left the bathroom, taking herself back to bed. She sighed as she got flashes of the night before in her mind. Of that kiss in particular. April’s touch. April’s taste. Oh how she wished that it could happen again.

Ella and Toby burst through the door, screaming loudly as Toby was chasing Ella. “Kids,” Charlie raised her voice. “Quiet please.” Ella and Toby looked at their mother before continuing to scream and run thought Ruby’s small apartment. Charlie put the shopping bags on the breakfast bar and Noah stood on his tiptoes, putting the bag he carried for his mother next to the rest.

“You look out of breath.” Ruby said.

“Lift is broken,” Charlie exhaled. “What did you take a flat on the 8th floor?”

“Was the only one available,” Ruby said as she ruffled Noah’s hair. “How are you buddy?” Ruby questioned.

“Fine,” Noah answered. “Can I go on Romeo’s Wii?” Noah asked a pleading look on his face.

“Oh me too.” Toby said as he jumped up and down on his sister as she lay on the couch.

“Toby,” Ella squealed. “Mum.”

“Toby Michael Braxton,” Charlie raised her voice as she marched over to him and pulled him off the couch. “How many times am I going to have to tell you to behave today?” Toby gave Charlie puppy dog eyes as he stared up at her. “Just sit down and be quiet for 5 minutes, please.” Charlie said and Toby furrowed his eyebrows before running over to the corner of the room and sitting down, facing the wall.

“He put himself in the naughty corner,” Ella giggled and Charlie shook her head in amusement at her son, deciding to leave him be for now, after all he was being quiet.

“He is driving me crazy today,” Charlie exhaled as she walked back over to Ruby who was busy inspecting the shopping bags Charlie had brought in. “I think he is still on a sugar high from Katie’s party yesterday.”

Ruby gave a little laugh. “I hear it was quiet eventful.” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

Before Charlie had the chance to reply, Noah spoke. “So, can I Ruby, please?” Noah questioned, a Wii controller already in his hand.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered and Noah grinned before switching the TV on. Ella jumped down from the couch and picked up the second controller, going to play something with her brother. “So, what’s all this?” Ruby questioned.

“I was at the supermarket this morning and thought I’d help you out by getting you a few things.” Charlie said and Ruby widened her eyes as she looked at 4 very full shopping’s bags before her.

“A few?” Ruby looked quickly through the bags and saw Charlie had brought her fresh fruit and veggies, bread, milk, eggs, chicken, mince and some beef that was ready for stir-frying to name a few. “Thanks mum,” Ruby gave her an appreciative smile. “This should keep us going for a while.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Charlie smiled at Rubes. “I’m always here to help.”

“Oh my God,” Ruby shrieked in embarrassment. “You bought us condoms?” Ruby felt her face getting redder.

“Well I’m aware you’re active and you’d rather be safe, right?” Charlie questioned. “A baby cost you a lot of money,” Charlie said. “That’s something you don’t have right now.”

“Yeah but you don’t but your kids condoms,” Ruby gasped. “Did your mum by your condoms?”

“No,” Charlie answered. “But after having a baby at 15 I decided to stay away from boys for a while.” Charlie said and Ruby bowed her head down thinking that it probably took a long time for her mother to talk to guys again, let alone sleep with one.

“What I get?” Toby questioned as he was now standing next to his mother. Charlie pulled a box of cookies out of a bag and opened them, giving one to her son. Toby’s eyes lit up before he ran off back to his corner, satisfied with his prize for now.

“So, how was your night out last night?” Charlie questioned as she watched Ruby wincing as she rubbed her side.

“Yeah, fine.” Ruby answered quickly. She wasn’t about to let her mother know about the kiss just yet. She needed to talk to April first. For all she knew it was just April being drunk.

“You okay there?” Charlie looked concerned for her daughter.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “It’s just a little sore. I’ve probably just slept funny,” Ruby said. “Anyways you going to tell me what’s going on with you and Brax?” Ruby questioned, knowing something was going on, she just wasn’t sure what. Charlie exhaled as she jumped up onto the stool at the breakfast bar.

“If you get me a coffee.” Charlie said and Ruby nodded making her mother a coffee as she told her what was going on with her and Brax.

The man watched as Heath, Bianca and Katie ate their picnic at the beach. He’d given him numerous warnings that if he didn’t help him there would be trouble. Trouble for both him and Brax. They owed him and he wasn’t going to let this go. He looked at Katie, her cute little face scrunching up as she giggled at her father’s words. He pulled out his phone and hit the keys as he wrote out a text for Heath. Family time is so precious. You don’t know when it’ll be over. He laughed smugly as he saw the look of Heath’s face as he read the text before running off, before he was seen.

“Everything okay?”Bianca questioned, seeing the look on her husband’s face.

“Eh, yeah,” Heath nodded. “Just Brax,” Heath didn’t want to lie to Bianca but he wanted to protect her. He didn’t want her knowing about this and wanting to help him. This guy usually was all words and no action so Heath wasn’t that worried, or at least, he was trying not to be. “Nat’s not doing great.”

“I don’t suppose she will be,” Bianca exhaled as Katie put the crusts from her sandwich in her hand. “Eh, you’re supposed to eat those missus.” Bianca said she looked down to her.

Katie curled her nose up as she shook her head. “Don’t you want curly hair?” Heath questioned, putting his phone away.

“No,” Katie answered. “But Toby no eat his crust either,” Katie said. “And he’s got curls.” Katie glanced between her parents, the look on her face suggesting she was waiting on an answer.

“Yeah, babe, what’s that all about?” Heath questioned, letting Bianca deal with this one. Bianca gave her husband a thanks for that look.

“Well Charlie must have ate lots of crusts when she was pregnant with Toby.” Bianca said and Heath laughed at her answer.

Katie giggled as she picked up a carrot stick and started crunching on it. She crawled over the picnic blanket and climbed up onto Bianca’s knee, leaning against her stomach. Bianca ran her hand through her hair as she and Heath shared a smile. They’d yet to tell Katie about the baby, mostly on Bianca’s decision. Heath wanted to tell people straight away, but, he understood Bianca wasn’t ready and it was still very early days yet anyways. They had a hospital appointment the next day to confirm things and see for sure how far along Bianca was and Bianca had said that they could maybe talk about starting to tell the people they were closest to after that. Heath wanted to just tell Katie but there was no way she could keep it a secret so they’d agreed that they would tell April for sure and Bianca was thinking about opening up to Charlie, knowing Charlie knew something was already on her mind anyways and if she continued not to drink around her, she’d start getting suspicious of pregnancy anyways. “This is a fun day.” Katie said between crunching her carrot stick. “We have all the days like this.”

“We can’t,” Bianca said. “You have Kindy and mummy and daddy have work.”

“No,” Katie scrunched her face up. “Just here all the days.” Katie said and Bianca and Heath smiled down at her before looking up at each other. Heath leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips before wrapping his arm around her, the 3 of them very much enjoying their day at the beach.

Thank you Chax, Sarah, Red Ranger 1 and Spotd1 for the comments. :wub:

Twenty-four

Charlie was walking out of the hospital with Toby as she bumped into Heath and Bianca. “Charlie,” Bianca was shocked to bump into her friend. “What are you doing here?”

“Uh,” Charlie looked equally as shocked to see Bianca and Heath there. “Toby. Toby is what I am doing here,” Charlie sighed. “He fell and split his head open.”

“Aww buddy,” Heath bent down in front of his nephew. “Were you brave?”

“My head broke,” Toby told him. “They put it back togitha.”

“We had to get stitches didn’t we?” Charlie said and Toby gave a little nod.

“Aww, I’m sure all that hair would have broke the fall,” Heath gave a little laugh as he ruffled his hair. “How he managed that?” Heath questioned as he stood back up.

“He fell off the wall at Kindy.” Charlie told them.

“The wall?” Bianca screwed her face up. “The wall at the back of the playground?” Bianca questioned and Charlie gave a little nod. “How did he get up to that? There’s a fence before it is there not?”

“He’s a Braxton,” Charlie sighed. “He may look like me but the rest of him is all Braxton,” Charlie said. “Oh this kid is going to give me a heart attack before I am 40.” Charlie shook her head.

“And you used to think Ella was the wild one,” Heath laughed. “You sure are a Braxton eh?” Heath questioned, looking back down to his nephew.

“Yes,” Toby answered. “Toby Michael Braxton.”

The adults laughed at him and he hid his head against his mother’s leg. “So you getting the rest of the morning off Kindy?” Bianca questioned and Toby nodded.

“I getting ice-cream.” Toby widened his eyes, excited for the outing with his mother. Not only because he got to go eat ice-cream instead of going to back to school, but it was also a special treat because he was going out just him and his mother, no older siblings around also wanting mummy’s attention.

“Don’t eat too much; it might come out the hole in your head.” Heath teased.

“No silly,” Toby giggled. “It’s fixeded.” Toby said pulling apart his curls to show Heath the stitches.

“I know, I’m just messing with you buddy.” Heath said.

“So, everything alright with you?” Charlie questioned. “I mean you are about to go into a hospital.”

“Uh...” Bianca started before looking to Heath.

“Old surfing injury playing up,” Heath said as he rubbed his shoulder. “Gonna get an X-ray and hopefully some strong pain-killers.” Heath improvised.

“Right,” Charlie screwed her face up. “And you had to take time off work for Heath to come to the hospital?” Charlie sounded like she didn’t believe their story as she looked to Bianca.

“I have a free period right now,” Bianca lied. “And uhm, I need to be here to hold his hand in case he need to get a shot,” Bianca said. “Hates needles.”

“Really?” Charlie widened her eyes. “Heath Braxton afraid of needles?”

“Yeah, it’s true,” Heath exhaled. “Anyways, best get inside.” Heath said.

“Yeah I need to call Brax. Let him know what happened to his youngest,” Charlie said as she put her hand on Toby’s head. “See you later.”

“Yeah bye.” Heath and Bianca left to go inside the hospital. Charlie exhaled as she looked down to her son.

“Right, let’s go call daddy then get some ice-cream, yeah?” Charlie questioned and Toby nodded before going to run forward. Charlie grabbed him by the arm. “You take my hand,” Charlie said before they walked across the car park. Toby running out and being hit by a car was the last thing they needed to happen. “When did you become so....wild?” Charlie used Heath word for lack of finding a better one.

“It’s fun.” Toby skipped a few times and Charlie just shook her head at her son as they continued to walk back to the car.

April sighed as she put the food down on the table giving her best fake smile for the customers. The smell of the burgers was making her want to be sick. She felt like someone was constantly smacking her in the head. “You look rough girlie,” Irene said as April walked back behind the counter. “You out again last night or is this still from Saturday night?”

April groaned as she put her elbows on the worktop and held her head up with her hands. “Saturday,” April mumbled. “I’m not half as bad today though.”

“Would hate to see what you were like yesterday then,” Irene raised her eyebrows. “But a two day hangover? Must have been a good night.”

“Yeah,” April cleared her throat. “One of the best in a long time.” Of course April was thinking about the kiss when she answered. She hadn’t seen Ruby since it happened. April had spent the whole of Sunday in bed, to hung-over to even think about getting up and they were at different campuses at uni so wouldn’t have a chance at seeing each other there today.

“Rubes must have had a good night too as she called in sick today,” Irene said. “Seems like you’re both on a two day hangover,” April instantly felt saddened that Ruby wouldn’t be coming into work. She knew she wasn’t hung-over, Ruby wasn’t really that drunk. Which meant Ruby was avoiding April. Which meant Ruby most probably felt the kiss was a mistake. April groaned as she rubbed her hands over her face. “If we weren’t understaffed I’d send you home love,” Irene rubbed Apirl’s arm. “But, you’ve brought all this on yourself so I’m not to sorry for you.” Irene said before walking over to a table to take their order.

“Still feeling rough?” April looked around to see Pete walking into the kitchen with some dirty plates. He threw them down onto the counter before walking over to April. “Where did you disappear off to anyways?”Pete asked. “Came back from the toilet and you and Rubes were gone.”

“We went La Rose.” April answered as she wiped down the counter, giving her something to do.

“Isn’t that for those lesbian folk?” Pete questioned.

“Yup,” April gave a little nod. “It makes sense as I am one of those ‘lesbian folk’.” April said making quotation marks with her hands.

Pete gave a little laugh of disbelief. “You ever been with a guy?”

“No,” April answered. “Well I mean, I was with a guy, but we didn’t get passed kissing.” April said, not looking at Pete as she continued with the wiping of the counter.

“So then how do you know you won’t like it?” Pete stepped forward and grazed his hand against her bottom.

April slapped his hand away as turned to look at him. “Because the thought repulses me.” April answered before walking away and going into the kitchen to load the dishwasher. Pete exhaled as he looked through to her. He gave a little smile deciding not to give up on her just yet.

Bianca and Heath were sitting on the couch, Heath once again pulling out the scan picture they’d been given. “Can you believe that will turn into our little baby?” Heath smiled. Bianca looked at his face and loved how happy Heath was. She only wished she could share his excitement but she knew that it would come eventually.

“Well that’s generally what happens.” Bianca answered, her hand draped over his arm as he continued to hold the scan. They were told that Bianca was 5 weeks pregnant and so far everything was okay and they were booked in for their 12 week scan, Heath marking it on the calendar that hung in the kitchen as soon as they got home.

“Yeah,” Heath said. “So, I know we’ve spoken about this a bit, but...” Heath paused as turned to look at her. “Can we tell people?” Heath looked at her with pleading eyes.

“It’s still pretty early,” Bianca said. “I’d rather wait.”

“What about April?” Heath questioned. “Can we at least tell April?” Heath was eager to tell someone and share their exciting news.

Bianca pursed her lips together before she nodded her head. Maybe telling April would be a good. She was someone for Heath to share his excitement with and could also be someone for herself to share her worries with. “We’ll tell April when she gets home from work.” Bianca answered and Heath’s smile grew larger before he once again looked down to the scan.

“She should be back any minute.” Heath smiled. He just couldn’t wait to tell someone about this. He really thought this day would never come. Bianca had seemed to have her mind made up that she wasn’t going to have another child. Bianca smiled at her husband, loving how happy this had made him. It wasn’t as if they were unhappy before this news, they had a great life together and with little Katie, but she saw a new glow in his eyes and was glad in a way that this happened for him.

“Hey,” April smiled as she walked into the house, glad to be finished her shift, mostly because it meant she was away from Pete. “What’s this?” April looked down at them, as they remained sitting on the couch, Bianca still draping her arm over Heaths as he held the scan in his hands. Heath looked to Bianca and she gave a little nod before he stood up and handed the scan to April, a huge grin forming on his face. April looked down to it and her eyes widened. “Oh my gosh,” April put her hand on her chest. “Are you...” April looked to Bianca then Heath.

“We’re having a baby.” Heath smiled and April squealed, not caring that it made her head hurt, before lunging forward and wrapping her arms around Heath in a hug.

“Ah I’m so pleased for you,” April gushed. “That’s great news.”

“Thanks,” Heath said as she pulled back. “I can’t quite believe it, but, it’s great.”

April smiled before looking to Bianca, seeing she didn’t have that same look of excitement as Heath and could tell instantly that baby Braxton wasn’t a planned addition. “You alright?” April said, taking a seat next to her and rubbing her arm.

“Yeah,” Bianca exhaled. “It’s uhm....” Bianca put her hand on her stomach. “I’m just a bit shocked, but,” Bianca pursed her lips together. “It’s good,” Bianca gave a little smile. “And Katie will be stoked when we eventually tell her,” Bianca said. “It’s.....” She exhaled and April could see she was feeling a little overwhelmed right now.

“It’s going to be okay.” April said before pulling her sister into a hug.

Thanks for the comments.

Twenty-five

Heath lifted the case of wine up from the cellar and put them down next to the other 3 he’d already brought up. “That shot must have done wonders.” Charlie said leaning herself against the bar.

“What?” Heath looked around to Charlie, screwing his up in confusion.

“Your shoulder,” Charlie said, pointing up to it. “Seemed to carry these cases up with no problems,” Charlie said. “So, I was just saying that the shot must have done some good.”

“Right, yeah.” Heath cleared his throat and bent down to open the first case of wine to put away on the shelf and in the wine racks. He felt Charlie’s eyes still on him and looked up to her.

“She’s pregnant, isn’t she?” Charlie questioned. She didn’t mean to be intrusive, but she knew there was something going on with her friend and was worried about her.

“What?” Heath screwed his face up. “No, of course not, she....” Heath trailed off, seeing the look on her face. There was no point denying it. She knew and wouldn’t believe any shoddy excuse. “Please don’t tell her you know,” Heath exhaled as he stood up, walking closer to Charlie. “She’s...She’s trying hard but she’s finding it all little difficult right now.” Heath leaned himself against the bar.

“I know you’ve wanted this for a long time,” Charlie said, reaching for two glasses before picking up the bottle of bourbon. “And she will come round.”

“I know,” Heath exhaled, watching Charlie as she poured the bourbon into two glasses. “And she will tell you, when she’s ready.”

“I know,” Charlie said, handing Heath one of the glasses. “Congratulations,” Charlie gave him a smile and they clinked glasses before they drank the bourbon, Charlie screwing her face up as she swallowed. “I really don’t like that stuff.” Charlie said and Heath gave a little laugh.

“You know, for what it’s worth, I think Brax is an idiot,” Heath put his empty glass down on the bar top and Charlie handed him what was left of hers. “Natalie’s a nice chick but I think he’s a real idiot for leaving you.”

Charlie was surprised by what Heath had said. This was the first time he’d really said anything about the separation, or at least something nice and not a catty comment. “Thanks,” Charlie gave him a weak smile. “But,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “You want to hear a secret?”

“Sure.” Heath sounded intrigued.

“We’re getting back together.” Charlie said a smile appearing on her face.

“Oh yeah?” Heath looked down to her, a little surprised. “You guys doing the dirty behind Nat’s back then?”

“Well not right now,” Charlie exhaled. “We did though and he was all set to break up with her but then her sister died and....” Charlie trailed off. “We just need to wait a while longer.”

“I see,” Heath said. “Well the kids will be stoked.”

“Yeah,” Charlie bit her lip, suddenly looking unsure. “He will leave her though, won’t he?” Charlie questioned and Heath could see she looked worried.

“For you?” Heath questioned before giving a little nod. “You don’t have anything to worry about.” Heath said as he patted her shoulder before walking back to the wine rack to get on with his work. Charlie stared down at him for a moment, a smile forming on her face, before walking through to the kitchen, making sure the chefs were all set up and ready for the dinner rush.

Brax walked into the house, throwing the bags down behind the couch. He and Natalie had just gotten home from Sydney having been there since Saturday evening. He gave a stretch before putting his arms around Natalie’s waist, seeing she needed a little comfort. “You okay?”

Natalie nodded a little. “People say the funeral is the worst part but I think it’s now, after saying goodbye and trying to get back to normal.”

Brax tucked her hair behind her ear as he looked into her eyes. He knew he loved Natalie, he just wasn’t sure if he was in love with her, at least not fully. “You’ll get through it.”

“Yeah,” Natalie pursed her lips together. “You can go get Toby if you want,” Natalie said. It was Wednesday so Brax’s turn to get the kids for the night. “Bet you want to see how his head is.”

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “What a kid he is.”

“He keeps you on your toes, that’s for sure,” Natalie exhaled, putting her hands on Brax’s arms. She felt he’d been more distant the past week but at first she just put it down to him giving her some space since her sister died, but then after the party and the revelations that came out, she thought there might be a different reason why he was becoming more distant. She was starting to see that he was in fact still in love with Charlie. “Go get him though. I’ll sort out the bags.” Natalie pointed down to the bags as she spoke.

“Maybe if you’re up for it we can take him to the swings before getting the twins from school?” Brax questioned.

“Sure.” Natalie nodded as she moved away from Brax.

“I’ll see you soon then.” Brax placed a soft kiss on her forehead before leaving the house to go and pick up his son.

April took a deep breath before she knocked on the door. It was now Wednesday and she hadn’t seen Ruby since Saturday night. Since that kiss. She heard a mumbled coming from Ruby before she walked into the room, giving a shy smile as Ruby looked surprised to see her. “Hey.” April spoke quietly as she took a seat on the chair next to the bed.

“Hi.” Ruby looked beyond April.

“You alright?” April questioned, although she figured it was probably a stupid question considering Ruby was lying in a hospital bed.

“Yeah.” Ruby told her, glancing at her face before once again looking beyond her.

“When you weren’t at work these last few days I thought it was because you were avoiding me,” April said. “But you really have been sick,” April played with her bracelet as she spoke. “Although you’ve probably been wanting to avoid me too, right?” April looked down as she spoke. “I’m sorry for kissing you. I -”

“I don’t want to avoid you,” Ruby answered. “I....the kiss was....” Ruby paused as she took April’s hand in hers. “It was great.” Ruby squeezed April’s hand before letting it go. April gave her a smile, which Ruby returned.

“So your mum told Bianca you had some kind of infection?” April said. Moving the conversation on, not wanting things to get awkward.

“Kidney infection,” Ruby sighed. “Been here since Monday but I think I’m getting home tomorrow.”

“Oh,” April widened her eyes. “But your kidney is okay? It’s not about to fail on you again?” April sounded a little worried for Ruby.

“No,” Ruby answered. “Seems it just wanted a break.” Ruby laughed a little.

“Ah,” April smiled. “So, Rubes what...” April pursed her lips together. She wanted to ask what happened now with the two of them, but, she was a little scared of what the answer may be.

“I don’t know, April,” Ruby cut in, knowing what April was asking. “I’m married and I....” Ruby paused as she pursed her lips together. “I love Romeo, but I.....” Ruby once again stopped talking. “I wouldn’t entirely mind if we kissed again and -” Ruby was cut off by April’s lips smacking against hers. “Well someone is keen.” Ruby raised her eyebrows and April gave a little laugh.

“Sorry, I just couldn’t resist,” April said and Ruby gave her a little smile before looking to the clock on the wall. “Look, not that it’s not lovely to see you but Romeo is going to be here any minute so it’s probably best you leave. I don’t think he loves the idea that I’m getting friendly with my ex.”

“Sure,” April exhaled. “But maybe we could meet up soon?” April questioned. “You know, I think we need to -”

“Yeah,” Ruby cleared her throat, knowing they needed to talk about what was going on. “Yeah we do.” Ruby gave April a smile that made her feel weak at her knees. She leaned forward and placed another kiss on her lips.

“I’m sorry.” April said as she pulled back.

“Can you just do one thing for me?” Ruby questioned and April nodded her head.

“Sure, what?” April asked as she picked up her bag that she’d thrown to the floor when she first came in the room.

“Stop apologising every time we kiss?” Ruby said and she took April’s hand in hers and rubbed it gently.

“Sure,” April gave her a smile. “I’ll see you later.” April bit her lip as they stared silently at each other for a moment before April stepped towards the door, Ruby’s hand falling from hers. She opened the door before looking back to Ruby and sharing a smile before she left the hospital, the smile on her face only growing larger as she left.

Thank you Sarah, beebee, Spotd1, emmamurphy8, Chax, Red Ranger 1 and Sabrina for the comments. :)

Twenty-six

Brax walked into the house, smiling as he saw Toby dancing around the kitchen as One Direction’s – What Makes You Beautiful was playing on the radio. “See the bang to the head hasn’t calmed him then?” Brax gave a little laugh.

Charlie turned to face him and gave him a smile. “He’s a Braxton,” Charlie said. “Little bang to the head won’t affect him.”

“My head fell open.” Toby said running over to Brax and parting his hair, showing him the stitches.

“Aww you silly boy,” Brax rubbed his back. “You’ve got to be careful eh?”

“Yeah,” Toby gave a little giggle. “Uby is in the ospitle now.” Toby said as he ran back to the centre of the kitchen and continued to dance.

“She alright?” Brax looked up to Charlie who was putting a cupcake into a Tupperware box.

“Kidney infection,” Charlie told him. “She should be getting home tomorrow.”

“Ah,” Brax gave a little nod. “Would it be okay if I went to see her?” Brax questioned, watching as Toby tiptoed up next to his mother, trying to reach a cupcake. Charlie batted his hand away.

“You’ve already had two, mister,” Charlie said and Toby frowned before going back to dancing to the radio. “Yes of course you can go see her,” Charlie told him. “She’s your....well, she’s just like a daughter to you.” Brax gave a little smile.

“Maybe we could pop in for a while before going back home, what you think, bud, you want to go see Rubes?” Brax questioned.

“I want a cupcake.” Toby frowned.

Brax looked to the cupcakes, with their yellow and pink icing. “Ella been baking?” Brax questioned and Charlie gave a little nod.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “I got great instruction to take two to Ruby today,” Charlie said with a little laugh. “So, how was Sydney?”

“Ugh, you know,” Brax gave a little shrug. “It was horrible at the house,” Brax told her. “Sam was just in bits and the boys kept wanting their mother. Mason seemed to take a shine to me though,” Brax said. “Hardly left my side the whole time we were there.”

“Is he the 5 year old?” Charlie questioned.

“Nah that’s Jack. Mason is 7.” Brax told her and Charlie gave a little nod. “Nat had to take care of Talia the whole time we were there,” Brax said. “It’s like Sam doesn’t want to know her.”

“Well it’s going to be hard. Losing his wife and trying to care for the boys plus a newborn,” Charlie said. “I’m sure it’ll get easier for everyone over time.”

“Yeah,” Brax said. “Sam wanted us to stay longer,” Brax told her. “But, I had to get back. Missed the kids and couldn’t leave you at the restaurant with Heath much longer.” Brax gave a little laugh.

“Heath and I are bonding,” Charlie said. “He’s surprising sometimes, that brother of yours.”

Brax looked surprised. “Need I be worried you’ll change brothers?” Brax joked.

“We’re never going to be that close,” Charlie laughed. “The kids missed seeing you around too,” Charlie said. “But, they weren’t the only ones.” Charlie looked away shyly.

“I missed you too,” Brax walked further into the house. “I know I was only away a few days but....” Brax trailed off. “I wish we could spend some time together, as a family.” Brax said.

“We will can soon,” Charlie said. “And it’ll be more special then.” Charlie felt herself smiling as Brax wrapped his arms around her, but she heard Toby singing and dancing around. She reluctantly pushed away, not going to underestimate her 3 year olds awareness again.

Brax sighed lightly. “Yeah. Right bud lets go.” Brax looked down to Toby as he ran over to Charlie. She lifted him into her arms and he gave her a big hug, placing kisses on her cheek.

“See you tomorrow, okay?” Charlie put him down and he ran over to the door, grabbing his bag and dragging it out with him. Brax and Charlie walked over and Brax picked up the twins’ bags before he turned to face her.

“See you later.” Brax rubbed her arm with his other hand and they shared a smile before Brax walked away to catch up with Toby.

“Brax,” Ruby smiled, surprised to see her step-dad walking into the room. “What are you doing here?”

“Thought I’d come see how you were,” Brax said as he took a seat on the chair next to the bed. Toby reached up to the bedside table, pulling the Tupperware box of cupcakes Charlie had been around with. “Eh you heard mummy buddy, you’ve already had two today.”

“She not here,” Toby held his hands to the side. “Please.” Toby pouted, giving his dad puppy dog eyes.

Brax exhaled before looking to Ruby. “Well they are Ruby’s cakes. You’ll need to ask her.”

“Please Uby, please.” Toby clasped his hands together.

“How about we share one?” Ruby said and Toby grinned as he ripped into the box.

“We went park.” Toby said as he tore off a little piece of the cupcake and handed it to Ruby.

“Aww wow thanks,” Ruby said, laughing at the tiny piece of cake that he’d given her. “So, did you have fun at the park?” Ruby asked.

“Yeah,” Toby answered. “Nattie was there too.” Toby scrunched his face up before taking a big bite of the cupcake.

“Oh, so not coming here?” Ruby questioned.

“Nah, she got a phone call from Bianca,” Brax said. “Her sitter went home sick again so she’s gone to get Katie.”

“Ahh.” Ruby gave a little nod.

“So, you alright yeah?” Brax questioned. “I’ve not given you a dud kidney after all, have I?” Brax questioned and Ruby gave a little laugh.

“No,” Ruby said. “It just decided to have a break,” Ruby told him. “It’s a perfectly good kidney, really.” Ruby gave him a smile, she’d be forever grateful to Brax for what he’d done for her.

“Good,” Brax smiled. “Would feel pretty bad if I ended up giving you a dud.” Brax said.

“It’s all good,” Ruby told him. “So, mum told me of your...developments,” Ruby said with a smile on her face. “I’m really please for you.”

“Me too eh,” Brax grinned. “Hopefully it’s soon.” Brax said, neither of them about to say it in front of Toby.

“Yeah, well you’ve taken long enough,” Ruby exhaled. “If you love someone then you just have find a way to be with them, you know.” Ruby said and Brax gave a little nod. Although she was talking about her and April, she did feel the same about her mother and Brax.

“Yeah, I know that now,” Brax said. “Love was never meant to be easy though.” Brax looked down to Toby who’s face was covered in icing from the cupcake.

“Don’t I know that.” Ruby murmured, playing with her wedding rings.

“Everything alright?” Brax questioned. “You’re just married,” Brax said. “Should be in newly wedded bliss right now.”

“Ugh,” Ruby sighed a little, feeling herself wanting to open up to her step-dad. “April being back has really thrown me,” Ruby exhaled. “We uhm....we’ve sort of kissed a few times and...”

“Rubes,” Brax widened his eyes. “You’re married.”

“Uhm, hello?” Ruby looked at Brax. “You are with Natalie but it hasn’t stopped you and mum...you know.” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“Fair enough.” Brax exhaled.

“Brax, I....I don’t know what to do.” Ruby sighed, wanting some advice.

Brax pursed his lips together as he looked down to his step-daughter. “I’m going to tell you something that I should have done a long time ago, Rubes,” Brax said and Ruby looked to him, intrigued. “Follow your heart.” Brax said and Ruby gave a little nod, knowing exactly who her heart wanted.

“Argh,” Toby was running around the garden, chasing Katie with a worm. “I get you.” Toby said, closing in on his cousin.

“No,” Katie screamed making her way over to Natalie for safety. She fell into her arms, hoping this would be enough protection from the worm. “Help.” Katie hid her head against Natalie’s chest.

“Get you.” Toby said as he threw the worm at Natalie. She gave a girly squeal as the worm landed next to where she was sitting on the back porch.

“Toby, be nice.” Natalie said and Toby scowled at her.

“I am,” Toby said. “He was playing.” Toby picked the worm back up and ran off down the garden again.

“Boys are yucky,” Katie said as she looked up to Natalie and Natalie nodded in agreement. “You know what?” Katie questioned.

“What?” Natalie questioned, moving her brown locks from her face.

“I getting a kitty,” Katie said, cheerily. “I will call her Fluffy.” Katie grinned as she clapped her hands together.

“Aw wow,” Natalie said. “That’s cool.” Katie nodded. Bianca and Heath hadn’t actually said she was getting a kitty, but, she wasn’t letting this go just yet.

“I got a worm,” Toby bounded back cross with his worm. “Willy worm,” Toby giggled as he sat down beside Natalie. “Better than kitty’s.”

“Uh-uh,” Katie shook her head. “Kitty’s the best.”

“Nuh-uh,” Toby shook his head. “He’s my best one.” Toby said before kissing the worm and Natalie screwed her face up.

“Don’t kiss the worm,” Natalie said. “It’s dirty.”

“Nuh-uh.” Toby shook his head, keeping the worm close to him.

“Can I get a juice?” Katie asked. “Please.” She added.

“Oh me too.” Toby jumped up, the worm flying from his hand across the garden. Natalie nodded as she stood up, sitting Katie on the porch. She walked into the back door and over to the fridge, stopping for a moment to look at a picture of her and Brax. She sighed, not knowing how much longer they would last or if there was a way they could make their relationship stronger again, like in the beginning. She exhaled as she opened the fridge and took out two juice boxes for the kids before walking about outside. Her heart jumping as she couldn’t see the kids.

“Toby, Katie?” Natalie shouted, panic rising in her. “Toby?” Natalie ran over to the playhouse, looking in to see if the kids were hiding from her, but, they weren’t there. “Katie...Toby, come out now,” Natalie spoke in a panic as she looked around the garden, her heart racing. “Oh God.” Natalie noticed the gate at the top of the garden was open. She ran over to it and looked up and down the street, her panic only increasing as she reached into her pocket for her cell phone.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Twenty-seven

Charlie was pacing the room, not being able to sit down, a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach. Bianca was sitting down looking to the ground and Natalie stood in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room. Heath was sitting next to his wife, rubbing her back in comfort as Brax was standing leaning against the couch, watching Charlie as she paced the room. April had come around too, taking the twins up the stairs to play. Georgie was also there, having asked some questions and they had some officers out looking. “I can’t believe you would leave them out there on their own.” Charlie spoke with venom in her voice as she looked to Natalie.

“I was only inside for a second,” Natalie sounded like she was going to cry. “They wanted a drink. I was only getting them a drink.”

“They’re 3 and 4,” Charlie retorted. “You don’t leave them. Not for one second.”

“Ah c’mon Charlie,” Brax exhaled, trying to stay calm. “Like you’ve not done that before.”

Charlie stared at Brax, angrily. “Where the hell were you?”

“I was getting the twins from school,” Brax answered. “I’ve told you this. And just calm down,” Brax stepped forward, pulling Charlie closer to him. “Getting yourself all worked up isn’t going to help find the kids.”

“She is not their mother,” Charlie said, shrugging away from Brax and pointing to Natalie. “You should never have left them alone with her.” Charlie walked to the other side of the room, lengthening the space between her and Brax.

“Look, that stuff doesn’t matter anymore,” Georgie said. “What matters is finding your kids safe and well.”

“What if it’s Alice?” Natalie suggested.

“Alice?” Charlie questioned. “Why the hell would it be Alice?” Charlie continued to pace around the room.

“Well she’s Katie’s real mother,” Natalie said. “Maybe she’s back and -”

“And why the hell would she take Toby?” Charlie said, almost laughing at Natalie’s suggestion. “He’s not her son. He’s nothing to do with Alice.”

“It’s just a suggestion.” Brax said and Charlie once again glared at him.

“I know who it is,” Heath said, clearing a lump in his throat. Everyone looked at Heath, looking confused with his announcement. “Scott Jackson,” Heath said as he looked up to Brax. “He’s out of jail,” Brax widened his eyes. It was their fault he went to jail. Long ago now they’d set him up on a drugs bust. Scott wanted Heath and Brax to help with a job now he was out to settle things, though Heath knew it was most likely going to be a set up and they’d end up in jail. “I didn’t say anything because I...well....I thought he’d get the message,” Heath sighed. “He’s been wanting us to help him with a job and he warned me something would happen, but I just....I’m so sorry, it’s my fault.” Heath stood up and made an exit from the house, slamming the door shut behind him. Georgie stood up and walked out of door, wanting to talk to Heath more.

“You swear you didn’t know about this?” Charlie questioned.

“I swear,” Brax said. “The stupid idiot.” Brax shook his head at his brother’s stupidity of not saying anything sooner before walking out to see him and Georgie. Natalie wanted to step forward and comfort Bianca but she saw Charlie walking there and thought she’d be better than her right now; after all, her child was missing too.

“At least I know why he was so jumpy this last while,” Bianca talked for the first time since hearing that the kids were missing. Charlie exhaled as she put her hand on her back, rubbing it in comfort. “They’ll find them, right?” Bianca questioned.

“Of course.” Charlie and Bianca looked up as they heard Natalie’s sorry sounding voice. She hated looking down to the two mothers, overcome with worry for their kids’ wellbeing.

“Uhm,” April appeared behind the couch. “The twins want some ice-cream.” April said looking at Charlie.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “They uhm....they need dinner.” Charlie said.

“I could take them to the diner, if you want?” April questioned and Charlie gave a little nod, before reaching for her wallet.

“I’ll get it.” Natalie said, needing to feel like she was doing something to help. Even if it was being in charge of the twins. Charlie gave her a steely glare before looking to April.

“You don’t let them out of your sight, April.” Charlie said and April gave a little nod, before going back up stairs to collect the twins.

“I didn’t tell her,” Bianca sniffed back. “I...she always wanted a baby sister and I’m.....I....” Bianca exhaled as he looked to Charlie.

“I know,” Charlie squeezed her friends arm and Bianca looked puzzled. “I sorta figured it out,” Charlie explained. “You not feeling well, not drinking, then turning up at the hospital,” Charlie said. “You’ll be able to tell her soon, because the police are going to find them safe,” Charlie exhaled. “They’re a good team, Bianca.” Charlie told her.

Bianca gave Charlie a weak smile. Of course she knew that force better than anyone. She used to work with them and if she had faith in them then Bianca needed to as well. They looked up as they heard the murmurings of the twins and watched as they left the house with April. Natalie following behind them. “Heath is such an idiot,” Bianca said. “If he’d just told the police that this guy was bothering him they could have stopped all this,” Bianca exhaled. “And Katie, she likes....she sleeps with her teddy every night,” Bianca sniffed back. “Her little kitty. She always sleeps with it and....” Bianca broke down into tears. Charlie held her as tears also rolled down her cheeks, hoping that it wouldn’t be long until they had their children back in their arms.

Charlie was sitting on the floor, leaning in front of the unmade bed. She was clutching his little giraffe teddy in her hands as a tear rolled slowly down her cheek. “That’s the twins in bed.” Brax walked into Toby’s room and sat down next to Charlie, putting his hand on her shoulder and giving it a gently squeeze of comfort.

“Thanks for letting them come home,” Charlie said, her gaze still on the giraffe. “I eh....I can’t be away from them tonight.” Charlie looked up at her estranged husband.

“I understand,” Brax said, continuing to rub her shoulder. “I can stay if you want,” Brax told her. “If you don’t want to be -”

“Yeah,” Charlie gave a little nod. “I’d appreciate that.”

Brax gave her a smile and Charlie leaned into him, Brax wrapping an arm around her in comfort. She held onto him as he felt her tears soak through his t-shirt. “He’ll be okay,” Brax told her, taking a deep breath to stay strong, for her sake. “Scott won’t hurt a little kid,” Brax said. “He just wants to worry us.”

“I thought....I thought your past was......well in the past,” Charlie sniffed back. “8....9 years ago you promised me all that had stopped,” Charlie exhaled. “Did you? Or is this some -”

“C’mon, Charlie,” Brax sighed. “It stopped. I swear. You heard Heath and what he said. He’s been in jail a long time, nearly 10 years and it was our fault. We set him up and let him take the fall for things we did,” Brax told her. “But I promise you I don’t do stuff like that anymore and haven’t since we properly got together,” Brax rubbed her back. “But I promise you that he won’t hurt the kids.”

“If anything happens to him,” Charlie pulled away from him, giving him a steely glare. “I will never forgive you.” Charlie said before standing up and leaving Toby’s room, the giraffe teddy remaining in her hand. Brax watched her leave before looking down to the bed, running his hands over where his son should be sleeping. He took a deep breath, hoping that it wasn’t long before he could be holding his son in his arms.

Bianca held the kitty teddy close to her chest as she sat against Katie’s bed. Heath walked into the room, bringing with him a bowl of pasta. He placed it down next to her and took a seat. Bianca stared down at the pasta before looking back up to the wall. “You need to eat,” Heath told her. Bianca didn’t eat the dinner Heath had made earlier. She stayed in Katie’s room, not talking to anyone. “April made it,” Heath said. “So, you know it’s not from me,” Heath exhaled. Bianca had every right to be mad with him. It was his fault that not only their daughter but, Charlie and Brax’s son had been taken from them. “Look, I’m sorry. I know this is my fault and I should have said something,” Heath said, taking a deep breath to compose himself. He was deeply worried about his daughter. “But Scott, he won’t hurt the kids,” Heath told her. “He’s just wanting to get me to break. Get me to do whatever it is he wants,” Heath said. Bianca kept staring out in front of her. It didn’t even look like she was listening to Heath. This just proved how much Katie meant to Bianca. Heath knew she loved her just as much as she would if she was biologically her daughter. The bond they had was so strong and anyone would believe they were in fact biological mother and daughter. In fact, Katie was yet to learn about Alice. She believed Bianca was her mother and right now, that’s how it was going to stay. Alice didn’t deserve that title. Bianca was the one who raised her. She was the one who knew what Katie liked and disliked, just like a mother should. “I’m sorry,” Heath said. “I’ll go.” Heath knew Bianca wasn’t going to talk to him anytime soon. He walked out of the room and down the hall, walking into the living room where April was sitting by the phone, as if waiting on it to ring with the news of the kids being found safe and well.

“Will she eat?” April questioned.

“Don’t think so,” Heath said, making his way over to the door. “Maybe she will if you go talk to her. She’s needs to eat right now. Not only for herself.” Heath said, thinking about the baby.

“Yeah,” April stood up from the couch. “Where are you going?” April questioned as Heath opened the door.

“To find the kids.” Heath said.

“Heath no,” April took a step closer to him. “You need to let the police do their job.” Heath sniggered as he shook his head before walking out into the night. It was his fault the kids were missing and he would stop at nothing to get them home safely.

Thank you for the comments. :D

Twenty-eight

Ruby walked into the house and went straight over to Charlie, who was sitting on the couch, staring at the TV. She wasn’t watching what was on, but she was looking in that direction. “Ruby we’re not at school.” Ella said as she looked up to her sister as she took a seat on the couch next to her mother, immediately rubbing her arm in comfort.

“Mummy didn’t want to be away from us cos Toby’s been taken.” Noah said as he looked to his sister as Romeo took a seat on the arm chair.

“Yeah.” Ruby looked to her brother.

“It’s not nice,” Ella shook her head. “No one takes my brother from me,” Ella looked cross as she stood up and marched over to the chair where Romeo was sitting. “Ay no Romeo?” Ella said, taking a seat on his knee.

“I sure wouldn’t cross you.” Romeo said.

“I will box him,” Ella made fists with her hands. “And for Katie too.”

Ruby couldn’t help but laugh at her sister before she looked to Charlie. “The police have any leads yet?” Ruby questioned.

“Scott someone or other,” Charlie answered. “He uhm....something to do with Heath and Brax and setting him up.” Charlie said as she played with the giraffe teddy that she was holding.

“Where is Brax?” Ruby questioned. “I thought he’d be here.”

“Heath came round for him last night and despite being told to leave the police to do their jobs they marched off all thug like to find him,” Charlie said, holding back tears. “Sorry I didn’t come get you from the hospital.”

“Don’t be silly,” Ruby rubbed her arm. “Toby is missing. You’ve got more important things to worry about,” Ruby told her. “And Romeo got me. He is husband,” Ruby exhaled. “He should do things like that.”

“You’re okay now?” Charlie asked.

“I still have a little bit of pain and I’ve got some more tablets I need to take for a while, but, yeah, I’m fine,” Ruby answered. “But, that’s not important right now, mum,” Ruby said. “Toby is out there and...” Ruby trailed off aware she shouldn’t say too much in front of her 6 year old siblings. “They’ll find him.” Ruby hoped as she continued to hold her mother in comfort.

“I feel like I’m doing nothing sitting here,” Charlie exhaled. “I uhm...I should be doing something.”

“You need to stay here,” Romeo said, still holding Ella on his knee. “Stay with these two and be here for if Toby is brought back,” Romeo told her. “When Toby is back.” Romeo corrected himself.

“Don’t you have an interview to get to?” Ruby questioned, glancing at him.

“Well I thought that with Toby missing I should stay with -”

“Romeo,” Ruby exhaled. “We need you to get this job. Please go to the interview,” Ruby sighed. “You can come right back again and maybe keep them occupied.” Ruby said, referring to her siblings.

“Okay,” Romeo sighed as he stood up, putting Ella on the floor. She ran back to her spot in front of the TV. “I’ll see you later.” Romeo leaned down and placed a kiss on Ruby’s forehead.

“Good luck,” Ruby gave a half hearted smile before Romeo left the house. “You had lunch?”

“No we haven’t,” Noah answered. “Can we get mac and cheese?” Noah smiled sweetly up at his sister.

“Sure thing buddy,” Ruby smiled as she stood up from the couch. “He’ll be home soon mum.” Ruby said, giving her shoulder a squeeze before going through to the kitchen to make some lunch, hoping that in fact Toby would be home safe and that it was indeed very soon.

April rushed into the diner, jumping behind the counter and grabbing an apron. “Sorry I’m late,” April said dropping the apron as she tried to tie it around her waist. “S**t.” April murmured, picking it back up.

April,” Leah said, putting her hand on her back. “You don’t have to work today.”

“But Rubes is still off with her kidney infection,” April said, looking back up to Leah. “I can't be off too.”

“When your niece is missing, yes you can,” Leah nodded. “Go home and be with Bianca,” Leah told her, giving her arm a squeeze. “She’ll need you around right now.”

“Thanks,” April put the apron back in its place. “I don’t really think I’d be in the right mind for work anyway,” April told her, forcing a sort of laugh. “I’m scared, Leah. What if....what if....” April cut off, not wanting to say it.

“They’ll be found safe.” Leah said, giving her an encouraging smile.

April pursed her lips together, unsure. “Bianca won’t talk to Heath,” April told her. “She blames him. Some guy from his past wanting pay back,” April said. “I just...they have to get through this, right?”

“Of course they will,” Leah answered. “They love each other very much and when they get Katie back that will be all that matters,” Leah said. “Not how or why she was taken, but that she’s back with her parents where she belongs.”

“I hope so,” April said. “Especially with Bianca....” April trailed off. “Well she’s out of her mind with worry, you know.” April cleared her throat.

“Just go home,” Leah said. “Let Bianca know we’re all here for her.”

“Thanks, Leah,” April gave her a smile before turning to leave the diner, stopping as she saw Brax walking in. “Brax,” April’s voice got higher. “Have we got any news?”

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “Just came in for that lunch order I made.” Brax said as he looked to Leah. Leah gave a little nod before walking through to the kitchen, seeing if it was ready.

“So, you and Heath didn’t have much luck on your wild chase last night?” April questioned.

Brax shook his head. “Clearly not,” Brax answered. “You’re not working, are you?”

“Nah,” April answered. “But uhm, I thought you’d be with Charlie and the kids right now.”

“Yeah, just been....you know, trying to find my son and niece,” Brax answered. “I can’t sit and home and do nothing, not when it was my fault.” Brax exhaled, rubbing his tired eyes. April could see he looked tired. He probably hadn’t slept all night for looking for the kids.

“It wasn’t your fault, Brax.” April told him.

“Yeah, try telling Charlie that,” Brax exhaled, just as Leah came back through with the box of lunch. “Thanks, Leah,” Brax gave her the best smile he could manage. “Thought I’d grab something before heading home,” Brax said. “I know Charlie won’t have bothered making anything and the kids will be getting hungry.” Brax put the box on the worktop and reached for his wallet.

“I don’t want any money,” Leah told him. “Just go home.” Brax gave a thankful smile before grabbing the box and heading back to Charlie’s place.

“Hey, I’ve brought lunch,” Brax said as he walked back into Charlie’s house. “Hello?” Brax put the box down on the kitchen table and walked through to the living room. He saw Charlie and Bianca sitting on the couch and looked to the floor to see Ruby playing a game with the twins. “I uhm, lunch. I brought lunch.”

“We’ve eaten daddy,” Noah told him. “Ruby made us mac and cheese.” Noah said before going back to the game.

“Oh,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “Did you eat, Charlie?” Brax questioned.

“I ate.” Charlie replied coldly, keeping her gaze on Bianca.

Brax gave a little nod, saddened by Charlie’s hostility. “You know where Heath is?” Brax asked, looking to Bianca.

“Probably out setting up some drug thug.” Bianca replied, running her thumb over the kitty teddy of Katie’s.

“Look, this happened 10 years ago,” Brax sighed. “How the hell were we to know this was going to happen now?” Brax questioned.

“Your past always catches up with you,” Charlie said, looking up at her husband. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me about this.”

“There was nothing to tell, I...you were a cop then and....” Brax rubbed his forehead. “Look, are we really going to argue about this when our kids are missing? Don’t you think right now what’s important is that we stick together and find them other than argue about why they are missing?” Brax questioned, just as the doorbell rang.

“Hello,” April’s voice could be heard. Ruby jumped up and walked through to the back door. “Hey,” April smiled a little. “Is eh, is Bianca here?”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “She didn’t want to be alone in the house,” Ruby told her. “Come in,” Ruby gestured for her to walk in the house and April followed through behind Ruby into the living room. “You not working today?”

“Leah sent me home,” April said as she took a seat next to Bianca. “You doing alright?”

“Fantastic,” Bianca answered before standing up and walking out of the room. April stood up to walk after her, but Charlie stood up and held April back, walking out of the house and standing next to Bianca. Bianca looked up at her friend, fresh tears springing into her eyes. “I just want Katie back.” Bianca cried.

“I know,” Charlie pulled her friend into a hug. “I want Toby here too,” Charlie took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. “But we just need to have faith in the police.” Charlie said, thinking about her old work colleagues and how much she actually missed being a police officer. Of course she loved working at the restaurant, especially when she and Brax were still together, but lately she had been missing her old job, but she assumed that was just because of everything going on with her and Brax.

“Charlie, Bianca,” Brax said as he walked outside. “Charlie,” Brax said again. Charlie pulled apart from the hug with Bianca and they both looked to Brax. “Georgie’s here.” The women looked at each other, before walking quickly into the house, Brax following behind them, all of them hoping Georgie was going to tell them that they’ve found the kids safe.

Thank you for the comments. :wub:

Twenty-nine

Charlie held onto her son so tightly, this time it was Toby saying he couldn’t breathe. She released her grip only slightly and she looked to Bianca, who was doing the very same to Katie. Heath was rubbing Katie’s back as she held onto Bianca and Brax loitered a little behind Charlie. “Mummy we got ice-cream n soda n chips n lollies,” Toby beamed. “And we watched Toy Story.”

“Ahh sweetheart.” Charlie kept a tight grip of her son.

“He was a funny man.” Katie giggled. The adults were relieved that the children were okay and were glad they didn’t seem to understand the extent of what actually happened to them.

“Come give daddy a squeeze.” Heath said, taking Katie into his arms. Katie hugged Heath before resting her head against his shoulder.

Charlie looked to Brax and knew he wanted to hug his son. He’d been with her for a while and she knew of course he would have been worried sick too. “Go give daddy a hug, bud.” Charlie said and Brax gave her a thankful smile, taking his son into his arms.

“Why we all huggin’?” Toby questioned, screwing his face up.

“Because we are happy that you are okay,” Brax said as he rubbed his back. “That was a bad man and he shouldn’t have taken you from us.”

“He nice to us Brax.” Katie said from her father’s arms adding a head nod to prove her case.

“He still shouldn’t have taken you, pumpkin,” Brax told her; pleased he’d been taken right back to jail by the police. Brax rubbed his sons back as he could feel the tension between both couples. He understood why the ladies were angry with them, especially Bianca with Heath, and only hoped that soon, Bianca would see what was the most important thing in all this and they’d be okay again. He exhaled, knowing he needed to go home and let Natalie know that the kids were safe. “Right,” Brax put Toby down. “I better go let Natalie know they’re safe.” Brax said as he glanced up at Charlie.

“No thanks to her.” Charlie said as she stepped forward and took her son’s hand. Toby frowning as he tried to pull away. The lake at the bottom of the cabin where Scott had kept them looked much more fun, especially as there were ducks in it.

“It wasn’t really Nat’s fault,” Bianca said as she looked to her friend. “It was him. So if you are going to be mad at anyone be mad at him,” Bianca glared at Heath. “C’mon, Katie, we’re going to go home.” Bianca held her hand out and Heath put her down and she ran over to Bianca. Bianca walked away with Katie as Heath shook his head. He was angry at himself. Bianca was right, this was his fault and he was so thankful that nothing happened to the kids. If it did he would never forgive himself.

“Us too buddy.” Charlie said looking down at Toby, who was still in a sulk because he couldn’t get to the lake.

“Daddy is you coming?” Toby questioned.

“Eh nah,” Brax exhaled as he rubbed the back of his head. “I’ve got to go back to my own house bud.”

Toby furrowed his eyebrows. “You to come play.” Toby gave him a pleading look before looking up at Charlie, she too getting the look.

“If it’s alright with mummy I’d love to.” Brax said, looking up at Charlie and giving her a smile.

Charlie sighed. “You should go check in with Natalie first.” Charlie said and Brax gave a nod of the head.

“I’ll see you soon.” Brax ruffled Toby’s hair before leaving.

“Don’t punish him, Charlie,” Heath said. “It really wasn’t his fault eh.” Heath watched as Brax walked away.

“Ten years ago he was responsible for that man wrongfully going to jail,” Charlie said, looking to her brother-in-law. “Now he is out for revenge on him. That makes it part his fault.”

“Be mad at me,” Heath exhaled. “I was the one getting the threats. I was the one who did nothing about it. I’m the idiot, not him.”

“Oh Heath,” Charlie exhaled. “I’m always going to think you are an idiot,” Charlie told him and Heath gave a little laugh.

“Thought we were bonding lately.” Heath said.

“I can still think you are an idiot,” Charlie told him, before biting her lip. “But, with Brax....I just need to be angry for a while. Our son, your daughter, they got taken and....well if Brax wasn’t such an idiot back in the day this would never have happened,” Charlie exhaled. “We’ll be okay. As will you and Bianca,” Charlie said and Heath’s face saddened. He hated how much he’d hurt and upset her. “Like me she just needs someone to blame for a while but you guys have so much more important stuff going on right now. Don’t push her. She’ll be fine with you soon,” Charlie gave a little smile and Heath returned one of thanks. “See you later yeah?” Charlie said and Heath gave a little nod, watching as Charlie left with her son.

Brax quickened his pace as he saw Natalie putting a suitcase in the boot of her car. “Nat?” Brax ran up the driveway. “What’s going on?”

“Have they found the kids?” Natalie questioned.

“Yeah, yeah,” Brax nodded. “They’re safe. I was just coming to tell you that,” Brax looked confused as he followed Natalie back into the house. “What’s going on?” Brax saw a second suitcase and a rather large box full of things sitting on the living room floor and knew this wasn’t good.

“I’m really pleased they found the kids,” Natalie said, welling up. “I would have never have forgiven myself if anything happened to them.” Natalie sniffed back.

“It wasn’t your fault,” Brax exhaled, stepping forward and rubbing her arm. Natalie gave a little smile at his touch. “They would have been taken no matter where they were.” Brax said softly.

Natalie exhaled. “I uhm....I’m going to Sydney,” Natalie said. “I’m going to live with Sam and the kids for a while. Help him out,” Natalie cleared a lump from her throat. “I uhm...I need to let you be with Charlie.”

“But...” Brax was gobsmacked. He never expected Natalie to suspect anything let alone leave him.

“You know, I really wanted to be pregnant,” Natalie said, recalling their recent scare. “I thought....I thought you’d never leave me if I was having your child. I thought...I thought maybe you’d learn to love me, but,” Natalie shook her head. “I love you so much.” Natalie wiped a tear from her eye.

“Nat, I do love you.” Brax said, rubbing her arm. He was sure he loved her. Not in the same way he loved Charlie, he couldn’t imagine ever loving anyone like he loved Charlie, but, he did love her, he was sure of it.

“But you are in love with Charlie,” Natalie said, her tone sad as she felt her heart hurting as she spoke. “And I’m not about to stand in the way of you two. You have the kids and.....I know you both are still madly in love,” Natalie said. “I think, deep down, I’ve always known it, but, well you were sleeping with me so, I....” Natalie trailed off. “But Brax, I...” Natalie exhaled. “I want you to be happy and if that means you being with Charlie then....” Natalie trailed off.

Brax bowed his head down. Although he was eventually going to end things with Natalie anyways, now it had happened, he was sad they were over. “I’ll miss ya.” Brax rubbed the back of her head and Natalie gave a little smile as she looked into his gorgeous eyes.

“I’ll miss you too,” Natalie told him. “And the kids,” Natalie said. “You’ll say goodbye to them for me, right?”

“Of course,” Brax gave a little nod before looking to the suitcase and the big box packed with Natalie’s stuff. “You want me to help you take these to the car?” Brax questioned and Natalie gave a little nod. Brax picked up the box as she pulled the suitcase behind her. Brax put the box in the back of the car before lifting up the suitcase into the boot of the car.

“Well I’m pretty sure that’s everything.” Natalie looked to Brax almost awkwardly.

“Were you just going to go without saying goodbye?” Brax rubbed the back of his head as he spoke, not making direct eye contact with Natalie.

“Of course not,” Natalie answered. “I just wanted everything ready.”

“Right,” Brax gave a little nod. “Well enjoy Sydney,” Brax said. “And uhm...yeah,” Brax cleared his throat. “Have a nice life.”

Natalie gave him a smile. “I hope you and Charlie will be happy. And I really do mean that,” Natalie said pursing her lips together. “I eh....I really am going to miss you.” Natalie cried, more tears rolling down her cheeks.

“I’m sure you’ll find someone better than me,” Brax rubbed her arm. “You deserve that.”

Natalie managed a weak smile as she wiped the tears from her eyes. “Well I’ll go say goodbye to Bianca then go,” Natalie told him. “So, I guess this is goodbye.” Natalie once again looked into his eyes as she felt a tear rolling down her cheek.

“Yeah,” Brax cleared his throat once again before giving Natalie a hug goodbye. “Goodbye.”

“Goodbye.” Natalie gave him a weak smile before getting into the car and belting up. She took a deep breath before turning the key in the ignition and driving away from the house and the life she had with Brax.

Thank you for the comments. :)

Thirty

Heath walked into his back garden and over to the picnic blanket where he saw Bianca pretending to drink tea out of one of Katie’s little pink plastic tea cups. “Enough tea for me?” Heath questioned.

“Uh-huh,” Katie nodded as she picked up the teapot and pretended to pour some tea into a cup. Heath smiled as he sat down close to Bianca, taking the cup from his daughter. “It peach tea, daddy.” Katie told him.

“Ah peach tea is my favourite.” Heath smiled before drinking some of the tea.

Katie gave a little giggle. Bianca smiled. She loved her little laugh. When Katie first arrived she never thought it would be possible to love someone else’s child so much. Now she couldn’t imagine her life without Katie and sometimes, even though she did everything a mother should do for a child and more and no matter how much she knew Katie worshiped her, sometimes, she worried that all that could change in an instant if Alice came home. Of course they’d fight to keep Katie and they’d have a good chance with Bianca being the one who’d raised her for most of her life, but, at the end of the day, Alice was her biological mother and could return for her daughter whenever she felt like it. “You to mummy?” Katie questioned. “Mummy.” Katie shook Bianca’s leg.

“What pumpkin?” Bianca questioned, shaking her thoughts away.

“Peach tea your best?” Katie asked.

“I love it.” Bianca gave a smile as she pretended to drink before looking to Heath. They exchanged weak smiles.

“You know I am more than sorry,” Heath said. “If anything happened to her or Toby, I....I would never have forgiven myself,” Heath cleared his throat. “But this stuff with Scott, it -”

“It’s doesn’t matter,” Bianca said, reaching forward and taking his hands into hers. “What matters is Katie and Toby are safe and that we are family and...” Bianca trailed off, looking down to her stomach. “We have so much to look forward too,” Bianca said, looking back to Katie who was humming a little tune and she continued to pretend to pour cups of tea. “Sometimes you are a bloody idiot Heath Braxton,” Bianca said and Heath gave a little laugh. “But I’m madly in love with said idiot.” Bianca said, before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on his lips. Katie’s humming stopped as she looked up to her parents.

“I kiss too.” Katie said as she crawled closer to them, putting one hand on Heath’s cheek and one on Bianca’s, trying to pull them apart. Heath and Bianca pulled back and looked to Katie before leaning down, each of them kissing one of her cheeks. Katie giggled as they wrapped their arms around her before they flung themselves back on the picnic blanket so they were laying down, Katie on top of them. She leaned down and kissed Bianca’s lips before kissing Heath’s, before resting herself on top of her parents. Bianca and Heath turned their heads to face each other and smiled.

“Love you too.” Heath mouthed before they cuddled closer together.

Noah, Ella and Toby were dancing as One Direction was blasting out of the CD player. On Ella’s insistence, they’d had to have a party, given her brothers safe return. Charlie was in the kitchen, putting some chips and popcorn into bowls, because what was a party without party food? She looked around as there was a knock at the door and she saw a sheepish looking Brax standing there. Charlie immediately noticed his eyes were red and a little blotchy and she wasn’t sure if it was just because Toby was safe or something else. “Hey,” Brax spoke quietly. Charlie gave a weak smile as he walked further into the house. “Having a party?” Brax questioned, hearing the music and seeing the bowl of treats Charlie was preparing.

“Well you know our daughter,” Charlie answered. “Always has a reason for a party.”

“Yeah,” Brax gave a little laugh. “Surprised that CD of Ella’s isn’t skipping yet the amount of times she’s played it.” Brax said, noting Ella’s love for One Direction.

“Wouldn’t mind that happening one bit,” Charlie mumbled. “Anyways, you uhm....are you okay?” Charlie said.

“Fine,” Brax cleared his throat. “Just the events of the last couple days,” Brax said. “And uhm.....Nat finished with me.” Brax said, playing with his bare wedding ring finger.

“What?” Charlie looked shocked.

“Yeah, I know I was all set to break up with her, but...” Brax wiped his hand over his eyes and he breathed out loudly. “Still kinda....well....” Brax didn’t exactly want to admit to Charlie he was sad at the break up.

“You were together over 6 months,” Charlie exhaled. “You lived together...I....I’m sure you did love her and its okay to be upset.”

“Yeah.” Brax bowed his head down just as the Ella came running into the kitchen.

“Dad.” Ella squealed as she jumped up, wrapping her legs around his waist as he held her.

“Hey petal how’s the party going?” Brax questioned looking into his daughters deep blue eyes.

“Great,” Ella answered. “Me and Noah have a show to put on,” Ella said. “We waited for you to get here,” Ella squeezed him a little tighter. “Are you and mum going to come watch?” Ella asked.

“We sure will.” Brax gave a smile as he put her down on the floor.

“Okay, we’ll finish getting ready.” Ella said as she ran back out of the room, hurrying along to her room to get changed.

“Charlie, you know I....I didn’t know anything about this guy being back. I....I know it was wrong, what Heath and I did, but -”

“Can you take the cupcakes through?” Charlie questioned, holding the plate out in front of him. Brax exhaled before giving a nod, taking the cupcakes through as Charlie followed behind him with the popcorn and chips. They placed them down on the coffee table before taking a seat on the couch. Toby ran over and climbed up onto his mother’s knee, Charlie wrapping one arm around him as she kissed his temple.

“We getting a play,” Toby clapped his hands together, excited to see what his siblings were going to do. “You cited, daddy?”

“I’m very excited, buddy.” Brax smiled as he ruffled his son’s hair.

“Did you see my stitches?” Toby said, leaning his head down and parting his hair.

“Yeah, I saw them bud,” Brax answered. “When does he get them taken out?” Brax questioned as he looked up to Charlie.

“Saturday at 11,” Charlie answered. “They’re at your place this weekend so you’ll remember to take him, right?” Charlie asked.

“Of course,” Brax answered. “If you want to come too -”

“Heath and I have stock taking at work,” Charlie told him. “But I’m sure you’ll manage with him fine.” Charlie said and Brax gave a little nod as the twins came running back into the room.

“You ready?” Ella asked her voice raised in excitement of doing her show.

“Yeah.” Charlie smiled as the music was switched off and Noah and Ella stood, ready to begin. Noah dressed in his knight’s costume and Ella in her Snow White dress. Charlie, Brax and Toby watched as the show began, Toby already clapping and laughing at his siblings. Brax looked down, surprised to feel Charlie’s hand taking his. He gave her hand a little squeeze before looking to her. They exchanged a smile before looking back to Ella and Noah, their hands staying locked together.

Ruby moved her fork around the plate, moving the pasta around. “You know you’re supposed to eat the food, not play with it.” Romeo said, glancing at his wife.

“Sorry, I just....I’m not hungry.” Ruby answered, putting the fork down on the half eaten plate of pasta.

“Everything okay?” Romeo questioned. “You look.....I dunno, but, you don’t look like normal you.”

“I’m fine.” Ruby answered. Truth was she was thinking about April and she wanted to go see her so they could talk about what they wanted to happen. Ruby was pretty sure she knew what April wanted, but, they still needed to talk.

Romeo gave a weak smile. “Well, I should hear about that job within the next couple days,” Romeo told her. “But there were heaps of people waiting to be interviewed,” Romeo clicked his tongue. “And only 5 positions, so.” Romeo shrugged.

“Well someone has to get the places, right?” Ruby said, taking a drink of her water. “And as long as you made it sound like you wanted the job...” Ruby trailed off.

“Yeah like anyone actually wants to working in that stinking place.” Romeo exhaled, taking a forkful of pasta.

Ruby shook her. “I’m going for some air.” Ruby said as she stood up from the table, her chair making an ear-piercing screech as it scraped against the floor.

“You want me to come with you?” Romeo questioned. “I don’t like the idea of leaving you alone. You’re just out of hospital today.”

“No,” Ruby raised her voice louder than she intended. “Sorry, I mean, I’m just going for a quick walk and I’ve taken my pills. I’ll be fine.” Ruby said before quickly walking out of the apartment, making for April’s place.

Archived