Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thank you for the comments. :)

Fifty-one

Noah and Brax were walking through the shopping mall in Yabbie Creek. Noah exhaled before looking up to Brax with a screwed up face. “Is we doing shopping today?” Noah kind of sulked. Shopping was something he didn’t like to do.

“Nah,” Brax answered. “I just thought you could help me out with something first,” Brax said, putting his hand onto his son’s shoulder. “Need some advice and thought you’d be the best to give it to me.”

“Me?” Noah screwed his face up again as he pointed to himself.

“Yup.” Brax nodded his head as they walked into a jewellery store.

“Oh dad,” Noah shook his head. “I don’t know anything about jewels.” Noah looked down to a cabinet displaying earrings.

“Neither does dad,” Brax exhaled, gesturing for Noah to follow him to other side of the room. “But you do know what mummy likes so I thought you could help me pick her out something.”

“Why do you want to get mummy something?” Noah questioned as they stood at a cabinet of bracelets.

“Because I love her,” Brax told his son. “And mummy and I are getting back together so I want to give her something special to mark that occasion.” Brax said as he looked at the bracelets more closely.

“Well she likes uhm....” Noah scratched the side of his head. “Gold but it doesn’t look gold,” Noah furrowed his eyebrows. “It’s not yellow.”

“Yeah she likes white gold.” Brax told his son.

“White gold, yes,” Noah gave one nod of his head before looking down to the bracelets, rubbing his chin as he thought about which one his mother would like to wear. “That one.” Noah said pointing down to the bracelet with a little circle in the middle, little studded diamonds all the way around the edge of it.

“Ohhh I like it.” Brax smiled down at it. It was probably the prettiest one on show.

“And that one is nice too.” Noah pointed to a bracelet of similar style but instead of a circle it was a love heart in the centre.

“Hmmm,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I'm not sure buddy.”

“I still think this one better though,” Noah said pointing to his first choice. “She would wear it all the time.”

“Oh yeah?” Brax gave a little laugh. “Looks like it’ll need to be that one then eh?”

“I think so,” Noah nodded satisfied with his choice. Brax called over an assistant and they had a closer look at the bracelet. “It’s so pretty. She will love it.” Noah gave a little jump as the assistant boxed it up for Brax.

“Do you want me to gift wrap it for you Sir?” The man questioned.

“Nah no thanks.” Brax said and Noah widened his eyes as he glared at his father.

“Yes,” Noah said. “You need it to be wrapped pretty for her.” Noah told him.

“Sorry,” Brax pulled a face and the assistant gave a little laugh. “Yes, we’ll have it gift wrapped.” Brax told the assistant.

“Silver or gold paper?” The assistant asked Noah.

“Uhm,” Noah rubbed the side of his head. “Silver.” Noah answered.

“Good choice.” The assistant gave him a smile before he very nearly wrapped the box up before taking them over to the till to pay for their purchase.

Heath, Bianca and Katie went into the diner to have some lunch. “Hey love,” Irene smiled at Bianca and Bianca gave her a smile back. “How’s April doing?”

“She’s uhm...” Bianca pursed her lips together. “She doesn’t want to leave the house,” Bianca told her as they took a seat. “Hardly ever leaves her bedroom to be honest.”

“She’s so sad.” Katie pouted as she climbed up onto the seat next to her mother.

“Aww poor thing,” Irene exhaled. “I hear Pete’s been arrested though so that should be one worry from her mind,” Irene said. “Although you might have given her another one.” Irene glared at Heath before shaking her head.

“No one hurts my family and gets away with it.” Heath defended himself.

“Well as much as we’d all like to hurt him after what he did, it probably wasn’t the wisest thing to do was it?” Irene questioned.

“Well you know me,” Heath exhaled. “Not exactly known to be wise am I?” Heath gave a little laugh and Katie joined in with her father’s laughter although she had no clue why he was actually laughing.

“Most certainly not.” Bianca murmured as she ran her hand over Katie’s hair.

“So, April’s okay being home alone?” Irene asked.

“Oh no,” Heath shook his head. “Ruby is with her though eh...she’s playing quiet the supportive girlfriend.”

“Girlfriend?” Irene sounded a little shocked.

“Yeah yeah they’re together,” Heath told her. “She left Romeo for her.”

“Oh,” Irene said. “Well I didn’t know that.”

“Probably because Colleen is on holiday,” Heath laughed. “No one to spread the gossip.”

“Come to think of it I haven’t seen young Romeo at all this week,” Irene told them. “Must be keeping away from here since they both work here.”

“Maybe,” Bianca shrugged. Romeo’s whereabouts were the least of her worries right now. “Speaking of April working here, there’s no rush for her to come back, right?” Bianca questioned and Irene shook her head.

“Of course not,” Irene said. “She can take all the time she needs. Although I will need to look for new staff with me being 2 people short,” Irene exhaled. “Anyways, I’ll give you time to decide what you want and serve these people first.” Irene said before walking over to the group of people who were waiting at the counter.

“So,” Heath exhaled as Bianca looked back around to him. “What did Alice want?” Heath had seen Alice walking away as Bianca was leading Katie to the toilets earlier.

“Just wanted to see if I’d made a decision,” Bianca said gesturing down to Katie. Heath gave a nod of understanding and not wanting to talk about it in front of Katie, although she probably wouldn’t understand what they were talking about anyways, Bianca moved the conversation on. “The Police not got back to you?” Bianca asked. “I hate not knowing what’s happening.”

“Nah,” Heath shook his head. “Maybe they are not going to do anything though eh.” Heath said hopefully.

“You should be so lucky.” Bianca muttered. Although she was mad at Heath for being stupid she did love him for what he did too. God knows she would have loved to have had her way with Pete after what he did to her sister, but she still knows the law and knew to leave it to the police and that he’d get his time in jail.

“Lucky is a good name for a kitty.” Katie spoke up and Bianca gave a little laugh.

“I thought you wanted to call your kitty Fluffy?” Heath said as he looked down to his daughter.

“Maybe I get 2,” Katie smiled sweetly as she held 2 fingers up at her father. “2 little kitty’s for me.”

“No chance.” Bianca mumbled as she ran her hand over her stomach, feeling herself wanting to share the news with Katie. She looked to Heath and gave him a smile before biting her lip thinking that by tonight, Katie might now of her siblings existence.

Noah giggled as Brax ticked him. After the mall they’d driven back to Summer Bay and Noah had wanted to go to the park for his special time. They’d spend the longest time skimming stones by the lake, Noah holding the record for getting 5 skims before the stone disappeared down into the water. “Stop.” Noah broke free from Brax, still laughing.

“Aww mate I was having fun.” Brax laughed ruffling his son’s hair.

“I’m too tickly.” Noah sighed.

“I know,” Brax answered. “That’s why its fun.”

Noah stared at Brax for a moment before scratching the side of his head. “Daddy?”

“Yeah bud?” Brax questioned.

“Well if you and mummy are back together why don’t you live with us?” Noah wondered as they sat down on the bench close to the swings.

“Well we don’t want to rush things,” Brax said. “We don’t want to start shouting at each other like last time because you kids didn’t like that, did you?” Brax questioned and Noah shook his head. “Well thats why we are living apart still for now,” Brax said. “We’ll see each other and talk and learn to get along again before daddy moves home.”

“Oh,” Noah replied. “Will it be long?”

“I don’t think so buddy,” Brax told him. “Maybe a month or two.”

“Dad,” Noah exhaled, staring hard at him. “That is long.” Noah said.

“Well you don’t want us to go back to shouting, do you?” Brax questioned.

“No no please don’t.” Noah raised his voice a little, really not wanting that to happen.

“We won’t,” Brax told him. “That’s why right now we will stay living apart until we decide it’s the right time to come home for me.”

“Okay,” Noah gave a little smile. “And you won’t make my mummy cry or be sad?” Noah still worried that this would happen again.

“That’s the last thing I want to do bud,” Brax said pulled Noah closer to him, hugging him close. “I love your mummy so much and I promise you that I’ll never hurt her.”

“Good,” Noah exhaled as he looked in Brax’s eyes. “That wouldn’t be nice.”

“Nah it’s wouldn’t,” Brax agreed with his son. “Now how about I teach you to do the monkey bars like you wanted huh?” Brax said and Noah looked a little unsure. “You’ll be fine.” Brax nudged his arm encouragingly.

“Okay,” Noah jumped up from the bench and ran over to the monkey bars. Brax followed behind him and lifted him up and kept a hold of him as Noah put his hands in place. “Don’t let go.” Noah squealed.

“You’ll be fine,” Brax said as Noah moved his first hand forward and grabbed hold of the next bar.

“Not yet.” Noah protested moving his next hand to the same bar while Brax took a step forward keeping a hold of his son.

“Buddy trust me,” Brax said. “You’ll be fine.”

Noah took a deep breath before turning his head so he was facing Brax. “You stay right behind me to catch me if I fall, okay?” Noah instructed and Brax gave a little nod.

“I will, I promise.” Brax said. “You can trust me.” Brax gave a smile and Noah could see that his dad wouldn’t ever let harm come to him.

“Okay you can let me go,” Noah said and Brax slowly moved his hands from around his son’s waist. Noah swung his first arm forward and grabbed hold of the bar before bringing his next hand onto the bar. “I’m doing it.” Noah shouted with excitement in his tone, pleased he accomplished the monkey bars at the park that Ella and even Toby seemed to do with no fear.

“Yeah you are.” Brax smiled proudly following behind his son as he continued to move along the monkey bars.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the comments. :wub:

Fifty-two

Noah ran back into the house with Brax following behind him. “Hey mum.” Noah beamed as he ran into her, wrapping his arms around her in a hug.

“Hey buddy how was your day with daddy?” Charlie questioned running her hand over his head.

“Good,” Noah couldn’t wipe the smile from his face. “We went to the park and skimmed stones and I went on the slide and the swings and I did the monkey bars. I really did do them.”

“That’s great,” Charlie smiled proud Noah had finally taken on the monkey bars. “Sounds like you had a great time.”

“Oh yes,” Noah beamed. “And we went to a really nice place for lunch and I got a burger and chips and even a coke,” Noah told her. Charlie and Brax always limited the kids’ intake of fizzy juice so it was always a big deal when they were allowed to drink it. “And he bought me these.” Noah grinned as he held up the bag of mixed lollies.

“Ah wow you certainly have had a good day then huh?” Charlie questioned and Noah nodded.

“I’ll share with Ella and Toby.” Noah said before running through the house to find his siblings.

“Not too much before dinner,” Charlie yelled out but Noah was already gone so she wasn’t sure if he’d heard her. “Sounds like he very much enjoyed his day.” Charlie exhaled as she looked to Brax who was loitering in the doorway.

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “Seemed like he enjoyed himself and we had a little talk. I think we are all good,” Brax gave Charlie a smile and she managed a weak one back. “So, you get up to much with the other two?”

“We baked cupcakes,” Charlie answered pointing over to the cupcakes that were still sitting on the cooling rack, despite the fact they’d cooled and been decorated with icing and those edible cake stickers, flowers and little silver balls long ago. “Then went into the garden. Toby and I made mud pies while Ella played on the trampoline,” Charlie answered. “So just been out in the garden most of the day.”

“Well sounds like we’ve all had a good day,” Brax smiled once again at his wife. “And Ella’s still on for the movies tomorrow?”

“Oh yes she asked me about 10 times if you were still taking her.” Charlie said and Brax gave a little laugh.

“She must really want to see this movie huh?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “But I think she’ll enjoy the fact it’s a special day with daddy dearest too.” Charlie raised her eyebrows a little.

“What time you want me to come for her at?” Brax asked. “Do you know when the film is on?”

“There’s one at about 12...10 to or something like that,” Charlie screwed her face up a little. “Then there’s ones at 2, 4.30 or 6.15,” Charlie told him. “But it is a school night so I’d rather you not take her to the 6.15 one.”

“Yeah of course,” Brax gave a little nod. “How about I come for her around noon and take her for some lunch then we can go to the 2 o’clock show?” Brax questioned.

“If that’s what you want to do its fine by me,” Charlie told him. “Like I say, as long as it’s not the 6.15 showing I don’t mind what time you take her at.”

“Right well we’ll stick with that plan,” Brax said. “Charlie are...” Brax pursed his lips together, sensing Charlie wasn’t best pleased with him for some reason. “Are you still mad at me for what happened with Pete?”

Charlie exhaled as she leaned herself against the worktop, folding her arms across her chest. “I’m not mad,” Charlie answered him with a shake of the head. “I just....I’m disappointed in you, Brax.” Charlie thought he was now a better person than to beat someone up, but maybe she just didn’t know him as well as she thought she did.

Brax bowed his head down a little. He would rather have her be mad and yell at him than have her be disappointed with him. “I am really sorry,” Brax said. “But we’re Braxton’s and we’re loyal to our family.”

“Funny you say that,” Charlie sniggered a little. “You don’t have a relationship with your dad and we haven’t spoken to your mum since the twins were babies,” Charlie exhaled. “Doesn’t sound to me like you’d be classed as a loyal family. Loyal to your brothers’ maybe, but not the whole family.”

“And you and our kids,” Brax told her. “I would never let any harm come to you or those kids, just like Heath with Bianca, Katie and April,” Brax said. “Pete hurt Heath’s sister-in-law, our Ruby’s girlfriend then said he’d do the same to Ruby,” Brax exhaled. “We did what any father...brother...uncle...cousin would have done.”

“And I love you for that,” Charlie said. “But it still doesn’t make what you did right and,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I am,” Charlie nodded her head. “I am so disappointed in you.”

“Right,” Brax pursed his lips together before he glanced at the clock. “Well I need to get to work so...” Brax cleared his throat. “I’ll be around about noon tomorrow for Ella.” Brax said before he left the house, wondering if he’d unintentionally set back reuniting with his wife.

April opened the scissors out as far as they would open. She looked down to them before looking to her arm as she lent it against her desk, wrist facing upwards. She closed her eyes as she took a deep breath, bringing the blade down so it made contact with her skin. She wanted the pain to stop. She wanted the hurt she was feeling to go away. She took a second deep breath, ready to cut along her skin, before jumping in fright as there was a knock at her door. She tried desperately to hide the scissors in time but it was too late. Bianca had already seen them. “What the hell are you doing?” Bianca shouted louder than she intended as she ran over to her sister, grabbing the scissors from her hand before pulling her arms down to her to inspect them. She gave a sigh of relief as she saw she was mark free. “April,” Bianca shook her head. “God April, no,” Bianca said. “What do you think this is going to achieve?”

April gave a little shrug. “I just wanted to stop hurting.”

“And you thought inflicting more pain on yourself was the way to do that?” Bianca questioned and once again April shrugged, her head bowing down as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Sweetheart, talking is the only way you’re going to feel better. Trust me on this one.” Although Bianca knew it would be different for every victim, she still had an idea of how April was feeling right now.

“I don’t know what I am supposed to talk about,” April replied. “Talking about how I feel isn’t going to change it,” April sniffed back. “It’s not going to make it go away or make me forget. I’ll never forget what it felt like,” April said. “His taste, his scent, his touch, I...” April paused as more tears rolled down her cheeks.

“It’s not about making it go away,” Bianca told her, rubbing the back of her head. “Unfortunately it never does,” Bianca pursed her lips together before taking a deep breath. “It’s about learning to cope and I....I think talking with a counsellor is one of the best ways to do that,” Bianca said. “Would you be willing to give counselling a try?”

“That would mean having to leave the house.” April spoke quietly, not looking back up at her sister.

“Well that’s one thing you’ll need to face,” Bianca said. “You can’t stay in here forever. Don’t let him beat you,” Bianca told her. “You stay locked up in here the rest of your days then he wins. Let him see you are stronger than that,” Bianca sniffed back. Seeing her little sister always in tears over this made her upset. “You can do this April.” Bianca spoke encouragingly.

“Would you come with me if I did go?” April spoke quietly, slowly bringing her head up so she made eye contact with her sister.

“If you want me there, I’ll be there right next to you, holding this hand.” Bianca took one of April’s hands into hers and squeezed it tightly. She gave her sister a smile and saw the smallest of smiles beginning to form on her sister’s face.

“We can try,” April took a deep breath. “I want to....I want to try.”

“Then I’ll be right there with you.” Bianca said, pulling her sister into a hug. She placed a kiss on her temple as she rubbed her back. Seeing her sister so broken and upset really got to her, but Bianca knew that right now, she needed to stay strong for April’s sake, because no matter how much Bianca didn’t like seeing her sister upset she knew that what April was feeling like right now would feel a million times worse.

Thanks Chax, Sarah, beebee, Spotd1 and Red Ranger 1 for the comments. :D

Fifty-three

April had come out of her bedroom for the first night since the rape. Normally after dinner she would go back into hiding but Bianca had told her she was going to tell Katie about the baby and April thought seeing how excited she would get would be a bit of a welcome distraction from how she was feeling right now, if only for a while. “Oi pumpkin, get over here,” Heath gestured to the couch and Katie looked up to him from pulling toys out the toy box. She was look for her pairs game that Bianca said they’d play after dinner. “Now.” Heath said and Katie jumped up and ran over to the couch, looking shyly at him.

“Have I been naughty?” Katie asked as she climbed up onto the couch.

“No, daddy is just being mean,” Bianca leaned down and ruffled her hair. Katie looked to April who was sitting on the arm chair before looking back to her parents who were standing before her. “But we do want to talk to you about something.” Bianca said, taking a seat on the coffee table as Heath sat on the couch next to Katie. She looked from her mother to her father then back to her mother.

“Is I getting my kitty?” Katie asked and Bianca gave a little laugh.

“No, you’re not getting a kitty,” Bianca told her and Katie pouted sadly. “It’s better than a kitty,” Bianca smiled as she leaned closer to Katie. “I think.” Bianca added.

“2 kitty’s?” Katie face lit up.

“No,” Bianca laughed. “Mummy is having a baby.” Bianca told her, smiling as she saw the look of pure joy on Katie’s face.

“Wow,” Katie squealed as she jumped up to standing on the couch. “Wow wow wow wow wow,” Katie shrieked as she jumped around the couch before she leapt forward in the air, Bianca gasping as she flung her arms out and caught Katie as she was about to land on her.

“Careful.” Bianca said as she hugged her close to her.

“A baby sister,” Katie was grinning from ear to ear. “This the best news.”

“Well it might not be a sister,” Heath answered. “Mummy might be having a boy.”

“No a boy,” Katie shook her head as she looked up to Bianca. “My sister,” Katie put her hand onto Bianca’s stomach. “She there?”

“Yeah it’s in there.” Bianca answered, still smiling at how excited Katie was.

“I no feel her.” Katie sounded a little confused.

“Well once the baby starts to grow you will.” Bianca smiled running her hand through Katie’s hair before placing a kiss on her temple.

“April do you hear?” Katie jumped down from Bianca’s knee and climbed up onto April’s knee, April hugging her niece close to her, actually liking the comfort she brought her.

“Yeah I hear,” April managed a smile. “A new baby, that’ll be exciting huh?”

“It will be my best sister,” Katie clasped her hands together. “Oh we call her Katelyn.” Katie said.

“We can’t call the baby Katelyn,” Heath laughed at his daughter, loving her excitement. “That’s your name.”

“Yes,” Katie sighed. “Katie 2,” Katie held up two fingers as she grinned at her father. “My Katie 2.” Katie jumped down from April’s knee before running back to Bianca and kissing her stomach before looking to Heath, now his turn for a hug. She leapt into his arms, giggling as he tickled her, everyone smiling at how happy she was with the news.

Ella skipped into the cinema her hand in Brax’s and a smile on her face as she was excited for seeing the One Direction movie. “This is going to be the best.” Ella gave a little jump of excitement as Brax looked up to the board to read the names of the movies. The choices for 2 O’clock were: We’re The Millers, which was rated M, so there was no way Ella would be seeing that and there was something called Now You See Me, but that was also rated M, so it ruled that out. Then he saw The Smurfs 2, and thought this would be the film she wanted to see, remembering that all 3 of his kids had loved the first one.

“The Smurfs 2, is that what you want to see?” Brax questioned as they stepped forward in the line.

“No,” Ella answered. “It’s not that one,” Brax looked confused as he looked back to the board. His eyes widened as he saw it. 1D: This Is Us. And he sighed as he saw the runtime of 92mins. “It’s One Directions one daddy.”

“Oh,” Brax managed before shaking his head, thinking Charlie played it well getting him to take Ella to the cinema. He loved that he was spending time with just his daughter, but did he really want to be seeing the One Direction movie? No. “A whole hour plus 32 minutes of One Direction huh?” Brax said as he put his hand onto Ella’s head. “Are you sure?” Brax questioned. “Remember how much you loved The Smurfs movie?”

“Yeah but I want to see One Direction today.” Ella answered.

“Right,” Brax exhaled walking forward with his daughter to the counter. “One adult and one child for 1D: This Is Us, please.” Brax sounded less than enthusiastic about this and the sales person picked up on that, trying her best to hold back a chuckle.

“And is that in 3D or not?” She asked an Ella’s face lit up as she heard 3D.

“We can watch 3D?” Ella asked.

“Yes,” The girl gave her a smile. “Of course that would cost your daddy a little more money.”

“Just normal D,” Brax screwed hi face up. “Just the normal movie.”

“No daddy,” Ella screeched, banging her hands against the ticket table. “3D.” Brax looked down at Ella as she batted her eyelashes at him.

“Two 3D,” Brax rolled his eyes and handed over some money. The girl printed off their tickets and gave Brax his change. “Enjoy the movie.” The girl smiled at Ella before looking at Brax and grinning.

“Oh we will. It’ll be the best ay dad?” Ella said and Brax muttered something as he walked over to the concessions stand. “What?” Ella gave a little skip.

“I said I’m sure you’ll love it.” Brax smiled down at Ella as he saw how excited she was for this movie and decided to just enjoy this day with daughter. “So, you’ll want popcorn and a coke, right?”

“Oh yes,” Ella answered. “A large one.”

“You don’t need a large one,” Brax told her. “You’ve just had a big lunch.”

“But it’s the movies,” Ella sighed. “You need popcorn daddy.” Ella furrowed her eyebrows at him.

“You can get a regular and we’ll share.” Brax told her and Ella frowned a little.

“A bag of minstrels too then,” Ella said, eyeing up the big bag of galaxy minstrels on display behind the counter. “Okay daddy?” Ella looked up at him and once again batted her eyelashes, knowing all too well this got usually got her what she wanted.

“Sure,” Brax pinched her cheek. “That’s all though,” Brax said before he ordered and paid for the popcorn, 2 cokes and the minstrels. Ella ran off to the doors screeching something about one direction. “Eh Ella,” Brax shouted on his daughter. Ella stopped and turned back to face Brax. “Come and carry something.” Brax said and Ella sighed before running back over and picking up her drink and the popcorn, while Brax took his drink and the minstrels. They walked over to cinema 6 where they would be watching the movie and handed the boy their tickets. He ripped them in half, handing the stubs back to Brax before handing him two pairs of glasses. Brax looked to them and sighed before rolling his eyes and walked into the cinema with Ella to find a seat for the movie.

The boys were out in the garden, enjoying the sunshine as they played ‘trains’ with old boxes that Charlie and Brax had kept in the garage for the kids to play with. Noah was wearing a cap which he said meant he was the conductor while Toby was just a passenger. Charlie was sitting watching from the porch, looking on her laptop. “Mum.” Noah ran over to her with Toby following behind.

“What sweetheart?” Charlie looked up to her son as he stood as close to her as he could get without actually being on her knee.

“What are you doing?” Noah asked as Toby actually did climb up onto her knee and stared at the laptop screen. “Why is there a picture of a house?”

“Because mummy is looking at houses.” Charlie said and both the boys screwed their faces up.

“What for?” Noah asked.

“Because now you are 6 it’s time for you to move out.” Charlie teased and Noah widened his eyes.

“6 is still little,” Noah sounded worried. “I’m only year 1 and I don’t cook,” Noah told her. “Mummy I don’t want to move out.” Noah looked like he was about to cry.

“Aww I’m only joking sweetie,” Charlie ran her hand round the back of his head. “You don’t have to move out,” Noah gave a sigh of relief as his hand went close to his heart. “Not till your 8.”

“M—u—m.” Noah shrieked and Charlie laughed.

“Sorry,” Charlie cleared her throat as Toby giggled at his brother. “I’m looking at houses because we are all going to move, maybe.” Charlie bit her lip, not sure if Brax really meant the thing about moving house, although Ruby moving between Brax’s place and hers wasn’t something that could be done forever and she knew Ruby wouldn’t be able to afford living on her own, so they needed to come up with a room for her somehow and Charlie wasn’t sure the boys would be best pleased at having to share again, with Noah always having a complaint about Toby when they had to share when they were at Brax’s house.

“Move where?” Toby questioned looking rather intrigued.

“Well we’ll move Tobes to the monkey pen at the zoo,” Charlie said tickling his sides and Toby giggled. “What do you think of that?”

“I like monkeys.” Toby answered.

“Of course you’d be fine with that idea,” Charlie mumbled. “Well that’s Toby sorted. Maybe we’ll move you to the train station. You like trains.” Charlie said looking back to Noah.

“Mum,” Noah sighed. “Be serious.”

“Sorry,” Charlie bit her lip as she stared at her son. He was staring at her like he was the parent and she was the naughty child about to get a lecture. “Well now that mummy and daddy are....how do you kids say it?” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“Being married agains.” Toby looked up at her and give her a toothy grin.

“Being married agains,” Charlie repeated as she ran her hand over his curly locks. “Well yes, now that we are together again we thought maybe moving to a new house would be good for us,” Charlie said looking from Toby to Noah as she spoke. “Would you kids like to move house?”

Noah gave a little shrug. “Do I still stay in school here?” Noah asked and Charlie gave a little nod. “Good because remember we get Fudge in 2 more weekends,” Noah said and Charlie sighed. Noah sure wasn’t letting her forget. “But a new house would be cool.”

“Yeah would be cool.” Toby copied what Noah said.

“Will I still get my own room?” Noah asked.

“Sure you would,” Charlie told him. “But daddy and I are just thinking about it right now. We might stay here,” Charlie said. “But we’ll talk about it more soon and maybe we’ll be going to see some houses.”

“We should get one with a pool,” Noah smiled. “Then we could swim at home.”

“Yeah a pool,” Toby jumped down from Charlie’s knee in such a hurry she gave a jump of fright. “And one with a puppy.”

“Yeah,” Noah agreed, loving the puppy idea. “C’mon let’s get paper and crayons and draw all we want in the new house.” Noah said before running into the house with Toby following after him. Charlie laughed at her kids’ enthusiasm, thinking at least if they did decide to move the kids would be fine with it.

Thank you for the comments. :D

Fifty-four

Brax and Ella walked back into the house, Ella singing a One Direction song as she danced her way into the living room, where Toby and Noah were playing with a train set as Charlie was sitting close to them, trying to fix something back onto one of the trains. “Hey petal how was the movies?” Charlie questioned as she put the train down and stood to her feet.

“Great,” Ella jumped up and down, still on a high from the movie. “I had the best time.” Ella gave Charlie a hug.

“Good,” Charlie smiled as she looked to the archway between the living room and kitchen. “Where’s dad?”

“Uhm he was behind me.” Ella gave a shrug, not knowing where he’d gone before going to join her brothers’ game.

Charlie walked though the house to the kitchen where she saw Brax. “What you doing?” Charlie questioned, staring at him a little confused. She’d expected him to follow Ella into the living room.

“Wasn’t sure if you’d want me in or not,” Brax spoke quietly. “I mean, I don’t know if we are...” Brax pursed his lips together as he looked away from his wife.

“Brax, I am disappointed in you. That’s all,” Charlie said talking a few steps closer to him. “We’re still together,” Charlie said and Brax smiled. “In fact I told the boys today we might be getting a new house. They’ve got pictures to show you about what they want it to look like plus all the cool things they want in it.”

“Well that could be interesting.” Brax gave a little laugh.

“Slides coming out of windows, a room full of lollies, a puppy and a swimming pool to name a few,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “But uhm, how was the movie?” Charlie questioned, trying not to laugh at the thought of Brax at a One Direction movie.

“Oh yes, well played Charlie,” Brax laughed. “Well played.”

“You wanted to take her out for the day and she wanted to go to the movies,” Charlie defended herself. “It’s not my fault you didn’t ask me what film it was she wanted to see before you left.”

“Fair enough,” Brax exhaled. “You know I think I was the only male in that place,” Brax shook his head, able to laugh at it now. “It was full of young girls who literally screamed when it started.”

Charlie laughed before covering her mouth with her hand. “Sorry,” Charlie cleared her throat. “But I’m sure Ella had a fantastic day and surely that’s all you want.”

“Yeah,” Brax smiled. “Shame I had to bring her home to her evil trickster mother though,” Brax said and Charlie gasped, mocking offence. “But hey, that’s what makes you beautiful.” Brax sang and Charlie erupted into laughter.

“Turning into a bit of a One Direction fan are we, Mr Braxton?” Charlie grinned as she raised her eyebrows. Brax shook his head as he wrapped his arms around Charlie’s waist before placing a soft kiss on her lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss letting it deepen before pulling back and looking into his eyes, giving him a smile. “C’mon, Toby broke one of the wheel things off of a train and you need to try to fix it.” Charlie said as she grabbed his hand and led him through to the living room.

Brax knocked on the door before walking into the house. “Hello.” Brax shouted.

“Daddy,” Toby came running out of Charlie’s bedroom and crashed into Brax. Brax making an involuntary noise as his son’s head crashed against him. “We’re going on a date,” Toby shrieked. “Me, you n mummy.” Toby bounced around excitedly as they walked into Charlie’s room, Brax looking his wife up and down and loving the sight of her in her white bikini. He still thought she looked gorgeous and looking at her flat toned stomach, you’d never think she’d carried 4 children.

“Oh good you are wearing board shorts.” Charlie gave a little smile as she put her red sundress on over her bikini.

“We swimming today?” Brax questioned as he actually noticed Toby too was wearing board shorts.

“I wanted to jet ski,” Toby told his father and Brax gave a little laugh. “But mummy said no.” Toby pouted sadly.

“Think you’re just a bit too little for a jet ski mate.” Brax laughed as he ruffled his son’s curly locks. Toby furrowed his eyebrows.

“She said no boogie board eithers.” Toby sighed as he held his hands out to the side.

“Aw maybe we could do that,” Brax looked to Charlie questioningly. “The twins were 3 when they got to boogie board.”

“I’m aware of that,” Charlie looked to Brax as she put her beach bag over her shoulder. “But the twins could swim and they’re not....well Toby,” Charlie looked down to him. Although Ella had her moments as a toddler, Toby was like no other, he was so wild. “But we’re going to teach Toby to swim today then I’ll be a little less worried about him charging out into the open ocean.” Charlie sounded unsure as she spoke.

Brax gave a little laugh, understanding Charlie’s concern. “Ah wow, we’re swimming today buddy.” Brax smiled as his son, knowing it wouldn’t take long for him to master it and that they probably could be out in the ocean with a boogie board for Toby that same day.

“Yeah,” Toby gave a jump, excited to be learning how to swim with no armbands. He hated wearing them and always wanted to take them off but Charlie kept saying he wasn’t ready. Truthfully it was Charlie who was wasn’t ready to let Toby swim on his own. He was her last baby and she was always sad when a new milestone was reached. “Let’s go.” Toby ran out of the room and through the house with Charlie and Brax following, Toby singing in excitement for both the day out with his parents and for being taught how to swim.

Ruby’s class had finished at 12 on a Monday so afterwards she went round to see April, letting Heath get out to do a few things he needed to do. Although Gina had given Bianca the previous week off to be there for April, she had had to return to work today. April had greatly surprised Ruby when she said she wanted to go out for a walk. This would be the first time she’d been out the house since the rape, but April knew she needed to start facing things and considering she’d need to get out the house when she was going to see the counsellor with Bianca in a couple days time, she figured she needed to try to be ready. They were walking pretty slowly and April was holding tightly onto Ruby’s hand as they walk the path to the beach. “Well isn’t this cosy.” Romeo said shaking his head as he stood in front of Ruby and April.

“Romeo,” Ruby exhaled. “Don’t do this.” Ruby felt herself step forward and a little to the side, like she was protecting April. She knew Romeo would never hurt anyone like that, but, she wasn’t sure what would come out of his mouth right now.

“Do what?” Romeo questioned. “Call out the home-wrecking bitch who ruined my marriage?” Romeo said, glancing at April. He gave a little snigger as he looked her up and down. “Would think you’d look happier. You look depressed,” Romeo said glaring at April. “You’ve stole my wife but your still not happy huh?” Romeo once again sniggered as he shook his head.

“Romeo.” Ruby exhaled. It was the first time she’d seen him since they’d split and she had a funny feeling in her stomach. A mixture of guilt but also love for the human being standing before her, he too looking hurt and broken, albeit for different reasons.

“What?” Romeo raised his voice. “She has to expect this.”

“I uhm,” April started to talk but already felt tears forming in her eyes. “I’m sorry. I...I...”

“Don’t start the water works,” Romeo spat. “What the hell have you got to be crying about? I’m the one who was left and not even for another guy. That’s the worst part about all of this. My wife left me for a....for a lemon,” Romeo screwed his face up. “It’s disgusting.”

April pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I can’t...” April’s mumble turned into a whisper and Ruby couldn’t make out what she was saying. April then turned on her feet and started to run back in the direction of her house.

“April,” Ruby shouted about to run after her, before turning and looking back to Romeo, pushing him hard as he stumbled back a little. “She was just starting to make progress,” Ruby spat. “How the hell could you treat someone like that after what she’s just been through?” Ruby questioned.

“What the hell?” Romeo questioned. “You mean being your mistress then getting you all for herself?” Romeo laughed. “Hardly been hard for her, has it?”

“She was raped you jackass.” Ruby spat as she pushed Romeo again before running off after April, leaving Romeo standing completely shocked at Ruby’s revelation.

Thanks for the comments. Red Ranger 1 it was mentioned a couple chapters back Colleen is on holiday otherwise it sure would have been around town.... :P

Fifty-five

Toby ran to the outside pool that was by the beach. He kicked his little green crocs off his feet before pulling his t-shirt over his head and jumped right into the pool. “Toby,” Charlie yelled as Brax jumped into the pool, still in his t-shirt and his flip flops still on his feet and grabbed hold of his son. Charlie stood open mouthed with her hand on her heart. “You can’t do that,” Charlie spoke sternly and Toby just stared up at his mother, not sure what he did wrong thinking that, after all they were going swimming. “You can’t swim yet.” Charlie said pulling him close to her as Brax lifted him out of the pool, before getting out himself, reaching for his flip flops that were floating by the edge and throwing them down on the side.

“God buddy you’re going to give us heart attacks before your 4,” Brax said ruffling his son’s hair. “Calm things down a little.”

“I want to swim.” Toby held his hands out to the side, still not knowing what he’d done wrong.

“Well you need to wait for daddy to get in the pool first.” Brax said and Toby furrowed his eyebrows before looking back to Charlie.

“You come too?” Toby questioned and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah I am,” Charlie said and Toby smiled, pleased his mother was also going to be in the pool with him. Charlie took her sundress off and threw it down onto her bag, before collecting Toby’s crocs and t-shirt, moving them away from the pools edge and placing them down next to her stuff. Brax took his now wet t-shirt off and lay it down on the ground to dry in the hot summer sun. Brax slipped back into the pool and Toby ran over and jumped in, Brax once again grabbing him as he went right under the water. “That boy has no fear,” Charlie said as she took her flip flops off and Brax laughed. “It’s not funny. It worries me greatly.” Charlie said before walking over to the pool and slipping in, smiling at her son as he looked super excited for being taught how to swim.

“C’mon then,” Toby wriggled in Brax’s arm. Charlie swam about a metre away from Brax and Toby screwed his face up. “Move away.” Toby told his mother.

“This is enough for now,” Brax told him as he lay him down in the pool. “You need to kick your legs and move your arms, look at mummy’s arms,” Brax told him and Charlie moved her arms like she was swimming. “Like that, yeah?”

“Yeah I knows,” Toby replied. “I see Ella and Noah all them times.” Toby told him.

“Ahh you’ve been watching your brother and sister have you?” Brax questioned and Toby nodded.

“Let me go.” Toby screeched and Brax gave a little laugh, seeing Toby was indeed ready to try this whole swimming thing.

“Kick then.” Brax said, keeping his hands on Toby’s stomach for now as Toby kicked and swam all the way to Charlie. Charlie took hold of him and Toby smiled.

“That was good buddy.” Charlie smiled down at him.

“You go further now,” Toby told her. “Daddy no touch me.”

Charlie and Brax exchanged a glance. “I’ll be right beside him.” Brax said and Charlie let go of Toby as Brax put one arm around him, keeping him upright in the water. Charlie moved further down the pool before turning and waiting on Toby to swim to her. Brax let Toby go and he sank right under the water but quickly got himself back up and started swimming to his mother, Brax walking down beside him.

“Go on bud,” Charlie shouted encouragement before clapping as her son quickly mastered swimming. “Yey,” Charlie took hold of Toby as he reached her and lifted him up in the air before putting him back in the water. “Aww my little boy.” Charlie hugged him close as he had a huge grin on his face now he swimming.

“High five buddy,” Brax held his hand out and Toby smacked his hand against his fathers. “God job.”

“Little pro.” Charlie smiled, not actually surprised that Toby had picked swimming up so easily.

“I go more.” Toby said and Charlie let him go and he started swimming away from them, looking very proud with himself at learning something new.

Ruby walked back into Bianca’s house. “Sweets,” Ruby knocked on April’s bedroom door. “Ignore Romeo.” Ruby walked across the bedroom and lay down on the bed next to April.

“He’s right though,” April sniffed back. “I am a home wrecking bitch.”

“You are not,” Ruby exhaled, rubbing April’s arm. “You didn’t force me into bed with you,” Ruby said, before pursing her lips together, thinking that probably wasn’t the best thing to say to someone who’d just had themselves forced upon. “You didn’t...I.... I wanted to be with you. From the moment I ran into you in Yabbie Creek, I....” Ruby trailed off, pursing her lips together. “I’ve never stopped loving you,” Ruby put her hand onto her necklace. “That’s why I’ve never taken this off and now that you are back in town I wasn’t about to let someone else get you first,” Ruby said. “I chose to cheat on Romeo. I chose you because you are the sweetest, most caring, kind, generous, beautiful woman I know,” Ruby said rubbing her arm as she spoke. “And you are also one of the strongest people I know.” Ruby gave her a smile.

“I don’t feel so strong right now.” April sniffed back.

“You are going to counselling,” Ruby said. “Takes a strong person to realise and admit they need help,” Ruby moved her hand so she was now rubbing April’s back. “I’m proud of you, April.” April gave her a weak smile before burying her head into Ruby’s chest, Ruby and April lying on the bed in the embrace, no one saying anything else.

“And I swim and I swim and I swim.” Toby smiled, gladly telling everyone of his achievement in the pool earlier that day.

“So, I getting a baby sister.” Katie beamed.

“Ah hey, congratulations.” Brax smiled at Bianca and she returned it.

“Yeah it’s great,” Bianca’s smile grew larger. “This one is just a little bit excited,” Bianca said, ruffling Katie’s hair. “Aren’t you Katie?”

“Oh yes my Katie 2.” Katie grinned patting her hand against Bianca’s stomach.

“Can I get a baby?” Toby questioned as he looked to his mother, a cheeky grin on his face.

“No.” Charlie answered and Toby pouted sadly.

“Yes,” Toby frowned. “A baby brother.”

“No,” Ella screeched. “A baby sister,” Ella said. “Please mummy, a sister. I don’t gots a sister.” Ella clasped her hands together, like she was praying.

“Yes you do.” Charlie gave a little laugh before picking up a ginger snap biscuit from the biscuit tin. She dipped it into her coffee before taking a bite and Brax screwed his face up, never understanding why Charlie did this.

“Who?” Ella screwed her face up, then shook her head as she realised. “Oh I know Ruby,” Ella exhaled. “I mean a baby sister.”

“No a brother.” Toby said, causing Toby and Ella to start bickering.

“Hey, stop it,” Charlie raised her voice and the kids stopped arguing at looked at Charlie. “Mummy is not having another baby.”

“That’s okay,” Noah smiled, pleased that there wasn’t going to be another addition. “I like our family as we are.”

“So does mummy.” Charlie gave Noah a smile.

“So, you going to find out what you are having?” Brax questioned before taking a drink of his coffee, understanding now why Bianca had refused a coffee when he offered her one when she arrived at the house.

“Uhm,” Bianca pursed her lips together. “I’m not sure. We’ve not really talked about finding out,” Bianca exhaled. “I guess we’ll just see nearer the time.” Bianca said watching as the kids all decided they’d had enough of adult talk and ran along to Ella’s room to play.

“You got a preference?” Charlie questioned, once again dipping her biscuit into the coffee.

“Uhm,” Bianca pursed her lips together. “Honestly, I’d like a girl,” Bianca confided in her friends. “After losing my son I’m not sure how I’d cope with raising another one,” Bianca exhaled. “I just think the bonding will be a little easier if I were to have a girl.”

“Makes sense,” Charlie spoke softly. “But I’m sure you’d love and bond with a little boy just the same.” Charlie spoke encouragingly and Bianca managed a weak smile. Although Heath kept telling Katie the baby may be a boy, Bianca was secretly hoping that Katie was right and the baby was in fact going to be a girl.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Fifty-six

Charlie and Brax were walking away from the restaurant in Reefton Lakes. They’d been out for lunch together, trying to get things back to pre break-up. “So, that was a surprised revelation from Bianca, huh?” Brax exhaled. “Didn’t expect her and Heath to be having another baby.”

“I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a planned addition, Brax.” Charlie exhaled as she surprised Brax a little by taking his hand in hers as they made their way to the lake.

“I see,” Brax pursed his lips together. “Still I know it’s something Heath has wanted for a while. And Katie will be a great big sister,” Brax said, feeling into his pocket to making sure that the bracelet box was still there. “Makes me a bit cluckly too knowing a new Braxton is on its way.” Brax grinned.

Charlie gave a nervous laugh. “You said you didn’t want any more children.” Charlie said.

“I know, but,” Brax gave a little shrug. “And Toby and Ella are keen.”

“So because Toby and Ella want a sibling it means we will give them one?” Charlie questioned removing her hand from Brax’s and stopping walking as she looked up to him. “Can’t we just repair what still needs to be fixed other than falling out again already?” Charlie questioned. “Can’t we just be us again?” Charlie said rubbing her hand over his arm.

“Of course,” Brax gave a smile and a nod. “I uhm...I bought you a little something,” Brax told her. “And if you don’t like it then blame Noah because he helped pick it.” Brax gave a little laugh as he took the box out of his pocket and Charlie looked down to it, taking the box in her hand.

“What’s this for?” Charlie questioned, opening the box and gasping. “It’s gorgeous.” Charlie said, running her hand over it.

“Just want to show you how much I love you,” Brax gave a little smile. “And you know I....I’m really glad we’ve found our way back to each other.” Brax smiled as he put the bracelet onto Charlie’s wrist.

“I never went anywhere,” Charlie exhaled. “You were the one sleeping with someone else,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I didn’t...” Charlie bowed her head down as she trailed off, knowing Brax already knew she didn’t want any of this to happen.

“I know,” Brax put his hand on her chin and pushed her head up to face him again. “But I’ve seen sense now at least, huh?” Brax smiled a little before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips. She smiled into the kiss as she wrapped her arms around his neck, letting the kiss deepen.

“Is you’s making my baby sister?” Charlie and Brax pulled back as they heard Ella’s voice. Ruby was meeting them at the lakeside with the kids after she’d picked the twins up from school and the 6 of them were going to the art centre to paint some clay models, and have a fun afternoon as a family.

“No it’s my brother.” Toby said, running into his mother and putting his sticky hands onto her orange skirt that she was wearing along with her orange and white singlet that matched.

“We’re not making a baby,” Charlie gave a little laugh as she moved his hands from her skirt. “What have you been doing?” Charlie held him by the wrists as she looked at his sticky hands.

“Ruby gave me lollies.” Toby jumped up and down.

“Just what you need huh?” Charlie ruffled his curly locks. “Something to make you even more hyper.”

“He don’t need anything to make him hyper.” Noah said as he walked close to Charlie.

“I know,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Right you lot ready to go have some fun?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah yeah yeah.” Toby growled excitedly and Charlie shook her head watching him as he ran off along the path and wondered if an art centre full of clay models for kids to paint was the best place to be taking lively her 3-year-old.

Bianca knocked softly on April’s bedroom door before walking in. “Hey,” Bianca gave her a smile. “You ready to go?” April was about to go to her first counselling session.

April took a deep breath. “Not really.” April exhaled.

“This’ll be good for you in the long run,” Bianca sat down on the edge of April’s bed. “May not feel like it the first few times you go. I know I thought it was a waste of time but I am glad I stuck with it,” Bianca gave a little smile as she moved April’s hair from in front of her face. “Believe me. This is going to be the best thing you could ever do right now.”

April bit her lip as she listened to what her sister was saying. “I’ll reserve judgment for now,” April said as she looked away from her sister. “But I’ve said I’m going to give this a go and.....I can’t....I don’t want to let people down.”

“April you wouldn’t be letting anyone down.” Bianca shook her head.

“You and Ruby,” April clicked her tongue. “You guys are proud of me for trying this so.....” Bianca noticed April was pinching at the skin on her wrist as she spoke. “I will be letting you two down if I don’t do this.”

Bianca gently batted April’s hand away from her wrist, running her hand over the little red marks that had appeared. “April you need to do this for yourself,” Bianca told her. “Not for anyone else.”

“I want too,” April took a deep breath. “But....she’s not going to make me talk about him, is she?” April already felt her eyes misting over.

“Probably not today,” Bianca shook her head. “Today will be.....like a get to know you and she’ll only make you talk about what she sees you are comfortable with,” Bianca rubbed April’s back as she spoke. “You get to take this at whatever pace you want.”

“Okay,” April exhaled. “And you’ll stay with me?” April questioned. “You’ll be with me at every one?”

“I’ll be at them all,” Bianca gave her sister smile as she squeezed her hand before glancing at the clock. “You ready?” April took one final deep breath before she gave a nod, her and Bianca getting up from the bed and leaving to go to April’s first counselling session.

“What about this one?” Brax questioned. “8 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 kitchens, a sunroom, a study, a library, a billiard room, stables and a swimming pool. Only on the market for $4 million.” Brax gave a cheeky grin.

“Only $4 million?” Charlie questioned. “Let’s take it as our holiday home,” Charlie said and Brax gave a little laugh. “Seriously though, 2 kitchens? Why? And a library in a house?” Charlie screwed her face up. “Actually where the hell is there a house like that in Summer Bay?”

“It’s half way between Summer Bay and Reefton Lakes,” Brax yawned. “You know out past all those apple trees.”

“Ah right yeah,” Charlie gave a little nod. “Well it looks lovely,” Charlie said glancing down at the picture. “But please look at houses in our price range.”

Brax gave another laugh before clicking a few buttons on the laptop before another house came up. “This one has been on the market for a while,” Brax said. “It’s in between Summer Bay and Yabbie Creek,” Brax read over the details. “5 bedrooms with the master bedroom being en-suite, 1 further bathroom, 2 living rooms, large country house kitchen, laundry room, study/office room, double garage leading up from large driveway....ah there’s a swimming pool so the kiddies will be happy,” Brax smiled as he looked to Charlie who was sitting beside him on the couch. “Looks nice huh?” Brax said clicking through the few photos that had been uploaded with it.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “But it’s still out of our price range.” Charlie said, glancing at the asking price.

“Well like I said it’s been on the market for a while,” Brax told her. “We could offer under asking price and I’m sure it would be considered.”

“Well I guess it won’t hurt to have a look at it.” Charlie pursed her lips together before she yawned.

“I’ll call the agent tomorrow,” Brax switched the laptop off and put it onto the coffee table. He clasped his hands together as he looked around at Charlie. “So ehm,” Brax cleared his throat. “I guess I’ll head home.”

“Sure.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she stood up from the couch along with Brax. She walked him through to the kitchen and put her hand onto his back as he went to open the door. He turned to face her and cupped her cheek with his hand before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on her lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss letting it deepen as she wrapped her arms around his neck as Brax walked forwards, causing Charlie to walk backwards before he lifted her up, Charlie wrapping her legs around his waist as he walked into the table, banging Charlie’s back off of it. The kiss never broke as he lifted her a little higher and sat her on the table as he ran his hands up her thighs and under her skirt.

“Mmm.” Brax moaned into the kiss as it deepened, his hand moving onto the table as he used his other to push Charlie’s body against his. Charlie took her hands from around his neck and ran them around the rim of his pants before lifting his t-shirt over his head throwing it behind her. She felt her hand knocking against something before there was a smashing sound as something hit the ground. Charlie and Brax pulled away from each other and Charlie slipped down from the table seeing the clay dragon that Toby had painted was smashed in several piece on the ground.

“Sh*t,” Charlie muttered as she rested her forehead against Brax’s chest. She looked back to the table and was relieved to see Ella’s owl and Noah’s train were both safely still sitting in the middle of it. “Brax we have to glue it back together.” Charlie bent down and reached out to pick up the 3 pieces it had now become but was stopped as Brax wrapped his arms around her and lifted her away.

“It’ll still be broken later.” Brax whispered into her ear before he carried her through to the bedroom

Thanks Sarah, emmamurphy8, Red Ranger 1 and Spotd1 for the comments. :D

Fifty-seven

“Oh no,” Toby slapped his palms against his cheeks, his mouth opened wide as he looked down to his dragon that was in 3 pieces on the kitchen floor. “Oh no.” Toby repeated as he felt himself welling up.

“Oh who did that?” Ella pointed to the dragon as she spoke, looking horrified that her brothers clay model had been broken.

“Mummy.” Toby screeched as he ran from the kitchen, bumping into Charlie as she and Brax were already making their way to the kitchen to sort the kids’ breakfast out.

“Dad,” Ella looked rather surprised to see him. “Why are you here before school?”

“Uhm,” Charlie turned to face Brax, putting her hand onto his bare chest. “Daddy stayed over last night,” Charlie told them, realising her 6 and 3 year old wouldn’t realise what that meant anyways. “So, what’s wrong with you buddy?” Charlie looked down to Toby who was on the brink of tears.

“It’s ‘orrible,” Toby took Charlie’s hand and led her though to the kitchen, pointing down at his dragon. Charlie gasped, forgetting they didn’t get round to fixing it last night. “Who did this?” Toby pouted sadly.

“I’m sorry buddy it was mummy.” Charlie said, running her hand over his curly locks.

“Mum,” Ella gasped. “Why would you break it?”

“It was just an accident,” Charlie answered. “I didn’t mean to break it, but its okay bud, I’ll fix it, I promise.”

“How did it break?” Ella questioned.

“I just accidently knocked it off the table,” Charlie answered before looking back to Toby, who looked like the world was over as he held the head of the dragon in his hand. “Bud, I’ll fix it.” Charlie rubbed his cheek.

“What were you doing to break it?” Ella questioned, becoming all detective like. Charlie glanced up at Brax, seeing he wasn’t about to step in and share blame, after all it was her removing his t-shirt which caused all this to happen, Charlie thought. She pursed her lips together before looking back to her daughter.

“It doesn’t matter,” Charlie told her. “All that matters is that I’ll get it fixed,” Charlie said. “Now where is Noah?” Charlie asked, noticing a child was missing from waiting on their breakfast.

“He’s still in bed.” Ella said as she climbed up onto the chair, pulling her owl close to her and holding it protectively as she glanced at her mother.

“Well please go and get him up,” Charlie said. “He’s got school to get too,” Charlie said and Ella picked up Noah’s train and gave Charlie a final glare before she ran out of the room with them, obviously not trusting to leave them with her mother. Brax gave a little chuckle at the scene causing Charlie to slap his chest. “I told you we should have fixed that last night,” Charlie shook head before looking back at Toby who was still pouting sadly, staring down at the dragon head in his hand. “Right buddy what do you want for breakfast?”

Toby sighed as he looked at Charlie. “Pancakes.” Toby requested. These were usually a weekend treat, but Charlie felt bad and seeing him looking devastated at his broken dragon she decided to give him what he wanted.

“You heard him daddy,” Charlie slapped his chest once again. “He wants pancakes.”

Brax went to open the fridge to get out what he needed to make the pancakes when Ella and Noah came into the kitchen, Ella holding Brax’s cell phone that she’d obviously picked up from the coffee table in the living room where he’d left it. “It’s ringing.” Ella handed it to Brax.

Brax took the phone from his daughter and answered. “Hello......yes.......oh I see,” Charlie noticed Brax looking worried as he put his other hand on his chest. “Yes.....I understand......okay, I will....yes, I’ll be there....okay thank you. Bye.” Brax hung up the phone before looking to Charlie. He gestured for her to leave the room.

“You kids get seated down and we’ll be right back,” Charlie said as she left the room after Brax. “Who was that?” Charlie questioned now they were out of the kids’ earshot.

“Georgie,” Brax told her. “She uhm....I have to go to the court house on Thursday and I guess my punishment will be known.” Brax pursed his lips together, worried for what Thursday was going to mean.

“Right,” Charlie took a deep breath. “Well let’s hope it’s not much huh.” Charlie said before walking back through to the kitchen, Brax understanding that she didn’t want to talk about what happened or think about what his charge may be. He took a deep breath and was about to go make the kids their pancakes when his phone rang again and he saw it was Heath, most likely wanting to talk to him as he’d have just received that same call from the police. He exhaled lightly hoping that they weren’t going to get into too much trouble before answering the phone to his brother.

Ruby knocked on the door before walking into the house. “Hey, Rubes.” Bianca smiled at her sister’s girlfriend.

“Hey.” Ruby replied. “How was work today?”

“Oh fine,” Bianca exhaled. “Think the Year 7’s are finally settling in,” Bianca answered. “How was uni?”

“Not bad today,” Ruby answered. “One of the lecturers is off ill so we got home earlier than usual.” Ruby gave a little laugh and Bianca opened her mouth to reply but was cut off by her daughter.

“Ruby, we go beach,” Katie ran excitedly into the kitchen, her bucket and spade in her hand. “Is you come?”

“Nah, I’m going to stay here with April.” Ruby told her and Katie gave a little frown.

“April no coming either’s.” Katie sighed as she walked over to her mother just as April walked out of the bathroom. She managed a smile and Ruby returned one.

“Hey,” Ruby said. “How was your counselling yesterday?” Ruby asked this the first time she’d seen April since she’d been. Ruby was keen to go see her last night but April told her she wanted to chill with Bianca, Katie and Heath. Although Ruby felt a little sad April only seemed to want her around sometimes, she understood it must be hell for her right now so would do whatever would keep April the happiest.

“Fine.” April answered shortly and Ruby could see she didn’t want to talk about it and again she wasn’t going to push her.

“What in bag Ruby?” Katie questioned, eyeing up the bag of things Ruby had.

“Well April and I planned to hang out this afternoon so I brought some stuff around she might like,” Ruby told Katie. “3 DVD’s staring your one true love Mila Kunis,” Ruby said as she pulled the DVDs out of the bag. “Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey and Ben and Jerry’s Baked Alaska.” Ruby said putting the ice-cream tubs out on the worktop.

“They her favourites.” Katie told Ruby.

“I know,” Ruby answered before looking back to April. “And a little guy that you might just like to have.” Ruby said pulling out a Cookie Monster teddy from the bag and for the first time since the rape, Ruby and Bianca heard April laugh. It was quiet and short but they were sure they heard it.

“This some private joke then?” Bianca questioned, a smile on her face at hearing April’s laugh.

“Kind of.” Ruby laughed as she handed the teddy to April and April hugged it close to her.

“Wow he’s cool,” Katie screeched. “The da Cookie Monster from Sesame mummy.” Katie looked up to Bianca, her big brown eyes all wide.

“I know,” Bianca said as she took Katie’s hand. “C’mon, we’ll go to the beach and leave these two to it.” Bianca and Katie then left the house and Ruby looked to April.

“So,” Ruby said. “You fancy ice-cream and DVDs?” April pursed her lips together and gave a little nod. “Which flavour?”

“Both.” April answered quietly.

“Yeah we will have both.” Ruby said opening the drawer and pulling out two spoons before picking up the ice-creams as April lifted the DVDs and walked over to the couch. April put the first DVD into the player before grabbing the remote as Ruby opened the ice-creams, discarding the lids onto the coffee table. April sat down close to Ruby and took one of the ice-creams into her hand, as the cookie monster teddy sat on her knee. She hit play on the remote before she took a spoonful of Chunky Monkey. She looked up at Ruby and smiled.

“Ruby.” April said as she swallowed her ice-cream.

“Yeah?” Ruby said as she turned to face her.

“Thank you.” April almost just mouthed it, but Ruby heard her. She gave her a smile before April rested her head against Ruby’s shoulder as they sat and ate ice-cream and watched the first movie.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Fifty-eight

Heath walked back into the house, opening the top buttons of his shirt. Bianca looked up at him from playing the pairs game with Katie. “Daddy,” Katie smiled up at him. “Will you come play?”

“Sure pumpkin,” Heath gave his daughter a smile. “I just want to have a little word with mummy first, okay?” Heath said as he walked into the kitchen, gesturing for Bianca to follow him. Bianca took a deep breath before standing up and following her husband through to the kitchen. She leaned herself against the worktop not really wanting to asked, for fear of the answer.

“So how did it go?” Bianca asked tentatively.

“I got a suspended sentence.” Heath told her, not quiet making eye contract.

“And what’s what?” Bianca asked. “It means you don’t have to go to jail, right?”

“Yeah,” Heath gave a little nod. “It’s a two year suspended sentence, so, for the next two years I’ve to be on only best behaviour,” Heath said. “I uhm...if I were to muck up then I’d have a 2 year sentence to do in jail for assault,” Heath spoke quietly as he ran his wedding ring around his finger. He was ashamed of what he’d done and he knew how much he’d disappointed Bianca.

“But you’re not going to muck up are you?” Bianca asked and Heath shook his head in reply. “Okay then, I’m pleased you got out of going to jail,” Bianca said. “Wouldn’t be nice for Katie or this one if you were gone,” Bianca run her hand over her stomach as she spoke. “But Heath, I...” Bianca bit her lip. “I married you because you seemed a changed man, if you are going to -”

“No,” Heath stopped her from talking. “I swear this was just.....well it was for April and quite frankly that scum deserved more than he got,” Heath said, still looking angry as he thought about Pete. “But I swear to you,” Heath stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Bianca’s waist. “That life is well and truly behind me. You, Katie, this baby,” Heath moved one hand around so it was on her stomach.”You are my life. And April too. We are a family and I’m never going to ruin that.” Heath said and Bianca gave him a weak smile before he placed a soft kiss on her lips.

“Speaking of us being a family I need you to sign some papers for the adoption of Katie,” Bianca told him. “Alice had done her part and I think she’s flying out to America tomorrow, but,” Bianca gave a little shrug as she pursed her lips together. “You are her main carer anyways so,” Bianca exhaled. “If you can sign them I’ll get them sent out.”

“Then you’ll officially be mummy?” Heath questioned.

“Well I don’t think it’ll be as simple as that,” Bianca told him. “I think I’ll be monitored with her and they’ll probably talk to you, maybe even Katie, I’m not sure how it works,” Bianca gave a little shrug. “But hopefully soon I will officially be mummy.” Bianca couldn’t help but grin from ear the ear. Although she already felt like Katie’s mum, the thought of it becoming legal excited her more than anything.

“There’s no hope about it,” Heath said. “It’s going to happen.” Heath placed a soft kiss on Bianca’s lips before they walked back through to the living to the pairs game with their little girl.

“Charlie.” Brax bumped into her as she walked out of the house.

“Hey uhm, what you doing here?” Charlie questioned as she locked the house door.

“I no see you today,” Toby looked up to his father confused. It was Thursday and he knew Thursday wasn’t a day for going to daddy’s. “I stayed last night.”

“I know buddy,” Brax ruffled his hair. “How was Kindy this morning?”

“Good,” Toby answered. “Max and me play all the days.” Toby told him.

Brax gave his son a smile before looking up to Charlie. “I just thought I’d tell you how it went at the courts.” Brax said and Charlie nodded a little before looking down to Toby.

“Go wait by the car buddy,” Charlie lightly pushed on his back. “It’ll have to be quick. I need to pick up Noah from karate and you know he doesn’t like me being late.” Charlie said.

“Right yeah.” Brax gave a little nod.

“But I gather from the fact you are standing before me it’s good news,” Charlie said. “Or at least not jail time?”

“Nah no jail time,” Brax smiled thankfully. “I got a fine,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “$1000 and a warning. Was my first offence.”

“First time you got caught you mean,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Don’t forget about you chequered past.”

“Well I never got arrested for anything back then,” Brax exhaled. “Or at least charged with anything. I remember being questioned a few times by a sexy cop who now works in a restaurant.” Brax looked Charlie up and down, grinning.

“Yeah,” Charlie cleared her throat. “Well I’m pleased that’s all you got,” Charlie told him. “It could have been much worse so count yourself lucky.”

“Mummy look what I found.” Toby shrieked and Charlie looked to her son who was digging with his bare hands into the dirt at the side of the front garden, his foot crushing some flowers as he held up a worm in his dirt covered hands.

“Lovely,” Charlie screwed her face up before looking back to Brax who was laughing at his son. “But yeah,” Charlie cleared her throat. “How did Heath go?”

“Suspended sentence,” Brax told her. “So, looks like the only one getting jail time in all of this will be Pete.”

“You know when his trial is?” Charlie questioned and Brax shook his head.

“Nah.” Brax answered.

“Well hopefully it’s soon for April’s sake,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “She had a counselling session the other day though and Bianca seemed to think it went well so hopefully she’s starting to work passed this.”

“Yeah,” Brax gave a little nod before Charlie looked down to her watch. “I can stay and watch him if you want,” Brax told her. “Maybe we could hang out for a while before we go to work,” Brax suggested. “Looks like he is having too much fun digging in the dirt to come get Noah with you,” Brax laughed. “Then when you get back we can play a family game or something?”

Charlie looked to Toby before looking back to Brax. “Sure.” Charlie gave a little smile.

“Cool,” Brax smiled. “Where’s Ella?”

“Playing at a friends,” Charlie told him. “So it’ll just be me, you and the boys. But I really need to move or we’ll have one mad boy.” Charlie said and Brax laughed.

“Noah would never be mad at you.” Brax said and Charlie gave him a little smile before she got into the car and drove off to pick up her son.

April walked from the kitchen to the living room, handing Heath a beer. He took it into his hands and gave her a smile as she sat down next to him on the couch. “I wanted to thank you.” April said.

“For what?” Heath asked as he opened the beer and threw the cap down to the coffee table.

“You know.” April replied and Heath noticed she was pinching at the skin on her wrist as she talked.

“Braxton’s stick up for their family,” Heath told her. “I’m not going to let any one get away with hurting you.” Heath said. He wanted to rub her arm or show her some kind of care or comfort but he wasn’t sure how comfortable she’d be with that so he refrained.

“And there was you saying I was disgusting when I first came out.” April spoke quietly as she bowed her head down.

“Well I was young and stupid,” Heath replied. “As long as you are happy what does it matter if you are with a guy or a girl or a girl that wants to be a guy?” Heath screwed his face up.

“Well really thank you and I’m glad you didn’t get to harsh a punishment.” April said. She never have forgiven herself if Heath and Brax had gone to jail for standing up for her.

“Me too,” Heath confided in her. “Think I escaped the wrath of your sister by avoiding jail.” Heath gave a little laugh.

“She wouldn’t have stayed mad forever,” April told him. “What you have is true love and she’d never throw that away.” April said and Heath smiled at what she had said.

“Seem to have a bit of true love yourself.” Heath said before taking a swig of his beer.

“Rubes is great,” April smiled. “She’s been so understanding and so patient. I don’t know if I deserve her.”

“Of course you do,” Heath told her. “It’s obvious you two are meant to be.” Heath said and once again April gave a smile.

“Thanks,” April exhaled as she stood up. “I’m going to go to my room. Have an early night.” April said before she left the room, walking into her bedroom. Heath looked round to her and gave a smile before talking a drink of his beer.

Thanks Red Ranger 1, Sarah, Spotd1 and RoRo90 for the comments. :wub:

Fifty-nine

Two weeks later.

Ruby was at Charlie’s place, having dinner with her and the kids. “Ruby?” Ella questioned, looking across the table to her sister.

“Yes?” Ruby answered before taking a drink of her water as she waited for her sister’s question to be asked.

“Why are you always around?” Ella asked.

“Uhm,” Ruby screwed her face up. “Because I’m your sister and your mum is my mum.” Ruby sounded pretty confused.

“No,” Noah sighed as he ran his hand over his face. “She means why isn’t you ever with Romeo anymores?”

“Ah.” Ruby exhaled before she pursed her lips together.

“Remember mummy told you that Ruby and Romeo weren’t together anymore,” Charlie said as she noticed Toby slyly moving his broccoli from his plate and putting it onto hers. “Nice try buddy.” Charlie murmured as she gave him his broccoli back. Toby frowned as he pushed it away to the back of his plate.

“Yes but why?” Ella asked. “You just had the big wedding.”

“I know, but,” Ruby clicked her tongue. “I made a mistake. I should never have married Romeo.”

“So then why did you?” Noah questioned, putting his glass of orange juice back on the table as he did so.

“I didn’t want to hurt him.” Ruby answered, not enjoying her siblings questioning tonight.

“So is you alone now?” Ella asked before stuffing a fork full of food into her mouth.

“No, I’m not actually,” Ruby said. “I’m with April. You like April, right?”

“She’s so pretty.” Noah blushed.

“But she’s a girl.” Ella said still munching on her mouthful.

“Ella don’t talk with your mouthful.” Charlie spoke sternly. She didn’t know how many times she needed to tell her daughter that. Ella gave her mother steely eyes before swallowing what was in her mouth.

“Yeah you can’t be with another girl,” Noah gave a sort of confused giggle. “Girls be with boys.”

“Well sometimes girls want to be with other girls,” Ruby told her siblings. “And boys want to be with boys.” Ruby added.

Noah and Ella looked at each other and pulled a rather strange face, both of them boggled by the thought. “So you kiss her?” Ella asked. “Like a mummy would a daddy?”

“I do.” Ruby gave a little nod. Although not lately, given recent events Ruby thought, but of course she understood it would just take time for her to feel ready to start being more intimate again.

“So will you have a baby with April?” Noah questioned.

“Well,” Ruby paused. “We’d like to have a family one day but it’s not that simple buddy. You see to have a baby you need a man and a woman and -”

“And the biology lesson stops there.” Charlie said, talking over her eldest daughter, not quiet ready to let her kids know about the birds and the bees.

“Will I like girls when I am older?” Ella questioned and Charlie choked of the mouthful of water she’d just taken.

“I don’t know,” Charlie answered as she hit her chest a few times. “Do you want to kiss a girl?”

“Eugh,” Ella screwed her face up. “I’d only kiss Niall.” Ella said with a grin.

“Ohhh who’s Niall?” Charlie teased.

“Mum,” Ella gasped, shocked that her mother didn’t know who Niall was. “He’s my favourite in One Direction.”

“Ah One Direction of course,” Charlie gave a little nod. “Look sweetie you don’t need to worry about stuff like that right now. You just be a normal 6 year old, yeah?”

“Yeah,” Ella gave a nod. “Mummy Toby is putting his veggies into the bin.” Ella pointed to Toby who had silently managed to get off the chair with his veggies and make his way over to the bin.

“Like telling on your brother,” Charlie mumbled. “Toby Michael Braxton,” Charlie looked around to Toby as he let go of his veggies into the bucket. Charlie widened her eyes and Toby ran out of the room, not wanting to get in trouble. Charlie shook her head at her youngest before looking back to the table. “Finish up your dinner and you’ll get some ice-cream.” Charlie said before she walked out of the kitchen in search for her youngest.

Brax and Heath were closing up the restaurant for the night. “So, how is it going with Charlie?” Heath asked as he turned the chairs up onto the table.

“Good,” Brax smiled. “We went to see a new house last week for us all to live in,” Brax wiped down the bar as he spoke. “Nice joint.”

“Oh yeah?” Heath questioned.

Brax gave a little nod. “Put an offer in actually but it’s a bit below the asking price so we’re not that confident but, maybe,” Brax gave a little shrug. “It’s been on the market a while so.” Brax crossed his fingers.

“Well hopefully you get the house,” Heath said. “Guess Rubes will be moving back in with you?” Heath questioned.

“For now yes,” Brax nodded. “Not that I mind, she’s a great kid,” Brax gave a smile thinking about his stepdaughter. Although she was 21 and he couldn’t really call her a kid, sometimes when he looked at her, he still saw her as that little cheeky 11 year old she was when he first met her mother. He couldn’t believe ten years had already passed since that first meeting. “So anyways, Bianca heard back from the adoption people yet?”

“Not yet eh,” Heath continued putting chairs up on the tables. “But I guess adoption never was a quick process.”

“Guess not,” Brax said. “How’s Bianca doing?”

“She’s still pretty sick most mornings,” Heath told him. “But lucky she seems to just be sick in the morning. By the time she gets herself to school she feels fine,” Heath said. “Or at least she tells me she does.” Heath gave an unsure laugh.

“Charlie was pretty sick too,” Brax said. “Especially with the twins although she had her moments with Tobes too.”

“She wasn’t too bad with Rocco to what I can remember,” Heath exhaled. “I’m just glad she’s feeling better about this pregnancy now. I’ve been scared to ask if we can go shopping. Start buying little things,” Heath said. “Maybe now she’ll be okay with that.”

“I’m sure Katie would love to go with you even if Bianca doesn’t.” Brax said and Heath smiled as he gave a little nod.

“She definitely will.” Heath answered, the grin getting bigger on his face and Brax laughed at him.

“What’s that for?” Heath asked.

“Just never thought I’d see the day Heath Braxton was excited over the thought of dirty nappies, sterilising bottles and sleepless nights,” Brax said as he picked up the cash box and account book and brought them around from behind the bar with him. “More daddy dare care than river boy now eh?”

Heath gave a little laugh. “Some people are worth changing for,” Heath said as he walked out of the restaurant with his brother. “And besides, weren’t you at a One Direction movie just a couple of weeks ago?”

“Yeah,” Brax gave a little laugh. “Things you do for your kids eh.” Brax laughed as he locked up the surf club before he and Heath went in the opposite directions of their homes.

She’d locked herself in the bathroom. She’d taken the test 5 maybe even 10 minutes ago but she was yet to look at it. She didn’t want to be pregnant. She was probably just panicking but she had to be sure. She took a deep breath before finally picking the test up and reading what deep down she already knew. Pregnant. 3+ weeks.

Thank you Chax, Red Ranger 1, Sarah, emmamurphy8, Freakie42 and Spotd1 for the comments. :wub:

Sixty

“So, you’re getting the guinea pig this weekend then?” Brax gave a little laugh. He’d spent the morning with Charlie, just hanging out and talking through things, the pair making sure they talked through everything to help get them back on track.

Charlie moaned as she rolled her eyes. “Unfortunately.”

“Aww c’mon it’s only a couple of days,” Brax said. “I’m sure you’ll can manage and Noah will look after it anyways. He’s dead excited for this.”

“Yeah,” Charlie exhaled before she looked to her watch. “Anyways, we need to go get Toby from Kindy.” Charlie said standing up from the kitchen table and picking up hers and Brax’s coffee cups and taking them over to the dishwasher. They were both going to pick him up then were going to take him to the park.

“Be a nice surprise for him both of us turning up.” Brax smiled, wrapping his arms around Charlie from behind and softly kissing her neck as his hand rubbed her stomach. She gave a little smile before batting his hands away and turned to face him. She opened her mouth to talk but was cut off when there was a knock at the door.

“April,” Charlie looked shocked to see her. As far as she was aware April still wouldn’t leave the house, more so now in fear of running into Romeo again. She couldn’t face him on top of everything else she was dealing with. “How are you?”

“Uhm,” April pursed her lips together. “I uhm....” April looked to Brax before looking back to Charlie.

“I’ll go get Toby,” Brax said. “You can meet us at the park yeah?” Brax walked across the kitchen to the door.

“Sure,” Charlie answered him before he walked out of the house. “You okay?” Charlie questioned as she gestured for April to walk into the house. April walked in as she shook her head, tears already springing into her eyes.

“I....” April paused as Charlie opened her arms out and April fell into her, welcoming the supporting hug.

“Just take a minute,” Charlie told her as she rubbed her back, letting April take some time to compose herself. April took a deep breath as she pulled back from the hug. She wiped her hand over her eyes before staring up at Charlie. “We’ll go sit down, yeah?” Charlie spoke softly as she rubbed April’s cheek and April gave a nod as Charlie took her hand into her hers and walked her through to the living room, the pair of them taking a seat on the couch.

April took a deep breath, desperate to tell someone and more importantly she wanted that someone to be Charlie. She’d been exactly there. “I’m pregnant.” April cried.

“Oh sweetheart.” Charlie mumbled as she rubbed her back .

“I don’t....I don’t understand,” April sniffed back. “I eh...they gave me the morning after pill so I....it should have got rid of any possible baby.”

“That’s not how the morning after pill works, April,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “The pill only prevents ovulation,” Charlie spoke softly. “You’d obviously already ovulated and....” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Unfortunately there’s nothing that can prevent pregnancy after that.”

“I can’t,” April mumbled as she shook her head. “I can’t,” April started pinching at the skin on her wrist and Charlie looked down to see some nail marks there already. She lifted April’s hands apart, holding them in hers. “I’m only half way through uni,” April sniffed back. “And I...” April trailed off. “I can’t have a baby with him.” April’s face screwed up in disgust.

“You wouldn’t be,” Charlie shook her head. “April this would be your baby. And Rubes would be there for you and Bianca and -”

“No,” April sniffed back once again. “Bianca is pregnant herself. She has her own baby to worry about,” April pursed her lips together, tasting a tear that had rolled down from her eye. “And you couldn’t do it,” April said glancing back up at Charlie. “You left Rubes with your parents because you couldn’t handle it. You couldn’t handle having your rape baby.” April was almost yelling at Charlie.

Charlie pursed her lips together. She understood exactly how April was feeling right now. “I know I did,” Charlie took a deep breath trying to compose herself as she felt her eyes stinging with tears that wanted to fall. “But I was only 14,” Charlie said. “You’re older, more mature, you have an amazing support network and if you wanted this baby you would be helped.” Charlie wasn’t trying to push April into any decision; she just wanted her to know that if she wanted this baby, she would have support.

“I don’t want it,” April shook her head. “But I...I....” April pursed her lips together. “I can’t do this to Ruby.”

“What do you mean?” Charlie questioned. “Sweetie if you decide that abortion would be best then Ruby will support that,” Charlie told her. “The same if you decide that you want to raise this baby she’ll be right there with you, every step of the way.”

“No,” April shook her head. “I love her so much. I couldn’t....I couldn’t do this to her.”

“April, just,” Charlie paused as she looked into April’s eyes. She was still so broken looking and now she looked terrified at the prospect of a baby. “Talk to Ruby about this,” Charlie told her. “I promise you she’ll support whatever you want.” Charlie said, knowing that her daughter would only want whatever it was that April wanted right now.

“April April look look,” Katie ran in the house screeching as she dragged a bag behind her. “We shops,” Katie climbed up onto the couch, smiling as she saw Adrian sitting with April, April hugging her cookie monster teddy close to her. “Tell her mummy.” Katie looked up to her as she walked in the house behind her, Heath walking in with a few more bags in his hands.

“We went shopping.” Bianca sat down on the arm chair running her hand over her forehead, glad to be off her feet after a long afternoon shopping.

“We got Katie 2 all these things,” Katie started pulling things out of the bags that Heath had put down on the floor. “See....look,” Katie held up a pack of 3 baby grows before throwing them down and picking up a little ducky teddy. “Me likes this,” Katie hugged it close to her. “And we got this.” Katie kept the duck on her knee and picked up a white and green checked baby blanket.

“I don’t want to see all the stupid baby stuff.” April yelled before she stood up from the couch and walked over to her bedroom, slamming the door shut behind her. Heath and Bianca exchanged a glance before looking to Adrian.

“Is she okay?” Bianca asked.

Adrian shrugged. “She’s been pretty quiet.” Adrian answered.

“What I do?” Katie bowed her head down, on the brink of tears.

“You did nothing pumpkin.” Heath pulled Katie onto his knee and hugged her close.

“She no see all the Katie 2 things.” Katie frowned sadly.

“Why don’t you show me, Katie?” Adrian said leaning forward in the couch and rubbing her arm. “I’d love to see all the things you’ve bought.” Katie looked up and Adrian and gave her a grin.

“Daddy get me a juice box.” Katie said before jumping down from his knee and continued to pull things out of the bags to show to Adrian. Heath walked into the kitchen to get Katie a juice box as Bianca walked across to April’s room, taking a deep breath before she knocked on the door. She didn’t hear a reply but she walked in anyways and over to April’s bed and sat down next to her. She rubbed her back as she was lying down, hugging the cookie monster teddy close to her.

“You want to talk about it?” Bianca questioned.

“About what?” April sniffed back.

“Whatever it is that’s bothering you.” Bianca replied.

“It’s just hard,” April wiped her hand over her face. “Trying to get back to normal. I just keep remembering and...” April pursed her lips together. “I didn’t mean to be mean to Katie.”

“She’s fine,” Bianca told her sister. “She’s happily showing Adrian everything,” Bianca ran her hand through April’s hair. “You sure that’s all this is?” Bianca questioned.

“Yeah,” April gave a nod. “I guess it’ll just take time.”

“Yup,” Bianca gave a little nod. “It’s a slow process but it’s manageable if you keep talking to your family....your friends....the counsellor.” Bianca said. April had had a further two sessions with the counsellor and although she still didn’t feel like they were benefiting her, she was going to continue to go.

“Yeah,” April sat up on her bed wiping her hand over her eyes. “Bit early to start shopping is it not?” April questioned, deliberately choosing not to say the word baby, but knowing that Bianca would know what she meant anyways.

“Heath asked and Katie was right there next to me,” Bianca sighed. “Hopefully this little shop will do for a while.” It wasn’t that Bianca wasn’t excited for this baby now; she was only 9 weeks and was still a little scared that something would go wrong.

“I’m sure everything will go great anyways,” April gave a weak smile. “But if you don’t mind uhm....can I just be left alone for a while?” April questioned. Bianca rubbed her back before giving a little nod before standing up and leaving the room. April took a deep breath before lying back down on the bed. She ran her hand over her stomach, letting tears escape her eyes as the door closed.

Archived