Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thank you CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah, Red Ranger 1, Spotd1 and Chax for the comments. :)

One hundred and thirty-one

Ruby walked into her bedroom, smiling as she saw April standing over the moses basket, watching Luca as he slept. “You get the little bean down okay I see?” Ruby questioned.

“He’s so easy.” April answered as she felt Ruby’s hands go around her stomach. Ruby softly kissed April’s neck, before pulling away.

“You smell like sour milk.” Ruby scrunched her face up.

“Oh yeah he was sick on me.” April screwed her face as she turned to face her girlfriend.

“Eugh and I just kissed you,” Ruby curled her nose. “He okay though?” Ruby looked into the moses basket, Luca sleeping with his arms and legs all spread out like a star fish.

“Yeah,” April answered. “It’s just possetting.”

“Huh?” Ruby looked to April, confused.

“Vomit, spit-up,” April answered. “It’s common in babies till they’re around 6 months,” April said. “Their muscular valve at the end of their food pipe hasn’t developed properly yet so sometimes food doesn’t stay in the stomach.”

“Ah I see. Thank you for my lesson doctor Scott,” Ruby said, still looking down at Luca as he slept. “Come to think of it I seem to remember Noah was a sicky baby too,” Ruby put her hand onto April’s shoulder. “Speaking of Noah, he wants a story read from his darling April tonight.” Ruby rolled her eyes as she spoke.

April laughed. “Your story reading not good enough?”

“Guess not,” Ruby sighed. “He said you do good voices,” Ruby stepped backwards and sat down on the edge of her bed. April sat down next to her. “I’m kinda worried sweets, he was pulling all the moves today when he was showing you how to surf.”

“Aww,” April laughed. “He has a little crush, its sweet.”

“Well I can’t blame the little guy,” Ruby said, softly caressing her arm. “You are gorgeous,” Ruby leaned forward and kissed her cheek, before screwing her face up. “Go read Noah a story. Then shower cos you smell.” Ruby said.

“Maybe you could join me in the shower.” April raised her eyebrows as she stood up, running her finger over Ruby’s arm.

“Get that sick smell from you then I might come.” Ruby answered.

“It’s just a little bit of baby sick,” April exhaled. “What you going to be like if one of our kids is sick on you?” April questioned.

“You can feed them and do the dirty nappies,” Ruby answered. “And while we are talking about our children you can give birth to them too.” Ruby added.

“Right and what are you going to do exactly?” April questioned.

“Be the cool parent,” Ruby answered. “I mean look at me. I am the queen of cool.”

“Sure you are,” April rolled her eyes. “Well I will go and read Noah a story then I’ll be in the shower,” April said walking towards the door before glancing back at her girlfriend. “So yeah, that’s where I’ll be.”

“Good for you.” Ruby smirked before picking up her guitar. April grinned in her direction before walking out the room to read Noah a story.

“So, I’ve been thinking maybe we could give our weekend away to April and Ruby.” Bianca said as she got into the bed she shared with her husband.

“Why would we do that?” Heath questioned. “Babe I think we really need this time away.”

“I do to but do you really think we can leave right now?” Bianca questioned. “Tegan is dying. Darcy needs us to be here for her.”

“But she still has a few weeks.” Heath exhaled.

“Heath,” Bianca shook her head. “You can’t think we can still go. What if something happens to Tegan? Darcy needs you right now more than we need this weekend away.”

“But for Darcy’s sake we need to be in a good place.” Heath replied.

“Yeah and that’s not going to come because of one weekend away,” Bianca sighed. “I know time away could help with that but it’s not the time. We can’t leave right now. Especially since we are trying to get Tegan to stay with us until....you know,” Bianca sucked in her bottom lip. “We need to put Darcy first. Heath, the kids will always come first.”

“I know,” Heath exhaled. “I just....I thought maybe this weekend would also help us reconnect....you know...” Heath raised his eyebrows.

“We don’t have to go away for that to happen,” Bianca replied, moving a little closer to Heath in the bed. “I’m pretty sure we can reconnect here.” Bianca ran her fingers ever so lightly down his chest.

Heath smiled as he looked down to her, cupping her cheek with his hand. “You are so beautiful.” Heath whispered before leaning down and softly kissing her lips. Bianca smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as she pulled Heath closer to her. Heath wrapped his arms around her as the kiss intensified.

“Dad, Bianca.” They quickly pulled back as the door burst open and a very worried looking Darcy ran into the room.

“What’s wrong?” Bianca questioned, standing up from the bed.

“Mum,” Darcy said. “She’s coughing up blood.” Darcy’s lips started to tremble, like she was about to cry.

Heath stood up, ready to walk out of the room, just as Freya started to cry. Bianca looked to the moses basket before looking back to Heath. “You see to Freya. I’ll go to Tegan,” Bianca said and Heath gave a little nod before Bianca walked across the room and out of the door, Darcy following after her. “You go help dad with Freya.” Bianca said, rubbing Darcy’s arm before going to find Tegan.

“Mummy.” Toby screeched as he ran out of the house, jumping on Charlie as she got out of the car.

“Hey bud,” Charlie held her son in her arms. “You have a fun weekend.”

“I missed you too much,” Toby told her. “You no to go away again, okay?” Toby put his hands onto his mother’s cheeks. “Okay, mummy?” Toby said again.

“I don’t know about that,” Charlie said, walking back to the house with Brax following. “Daddy and I had a very good time, didn’t we?”

“Oh yeah,” Brax answered. “No little monkey causing trouble.” Brax tickled Toby’s side and he giggled as he cuddled more into his mother.

“Present.” Toby said as Charlie put him back on the ground. He took Charlie’s hand and Charlie took a hold of Brax’s as Toby led them to the kitchen.

“We didn’t get any presents,” Charlie answered. “You’ve just had Christmas. And your birthday before that.”

“Not me,” Toby shook his head. “Thems be for you.” Toby pointed to the kitchen table and Charlie looked to it to see a big bunch of roses sitting in a vase.

“Aww wow Toby you got mummy roses.” Charlie smiled down at her son who was grinning up at her, his teeth showing.

“And gummy worms.” Toby ran over to the table and picked up the bag. “But you’ll share ‘em with me ay?” Toby nodded his head.

“I don’t know,” Charlie shrugged as she took the bag into her hand. “I’ll need to think about it.”

Toby frowned. “Daddy there’s lots. She should share.” Toby hugged Brax’s leg and Brax bent down to Toby’s level, cupping his hand around his little face.

“It’s for mummy to decide bud.” Brax said and Toby scowled.

“Daddy.” Ella shrieked as she ran into the kitchen, knocking Toby out of the way and hugging her father tightly.

“Hey petal,” Brax hugged his daughter. “You have a fun weekend with Ruby and April?”

“Yeah,” Ella answered. “We went to the beach and April was showed surfing by Noah and we had pizza from the restaurant and Ruby forgot Luca.”

“Ruby what?” Charlie widened her eyes, dropping the gummy worms bag from her hands. Toby bent down to pick them up, grinning widely that they were back in his grasp.

“You’re such a tell-tale,” Ruby sighed as she walked into the kitchen, Luca in her arms. Charlie took her son into her arms, happy to see him again. A weekend was a long time to be away from your 6 week old son. “I didn’t forget him, just....left him for like a minute.” Ruby explained, glaring at Ella who was grinning smugly at her sister.

“Left him where?” Charlie questioned.

“In the car.” Ella answered.

“In this heat?” Charlie gasped. “Ruby, what the hell. You were supposed to be looking after him.”

“It was for like a minute at most,” Ruby sighed. “We were taking everything but the kitchen sink that the kids had packed for the beach down there and he was still in the car,” Ruby said. “I went right back for him.”

“At least she didn’t leave him at the house,” Brax rubbed Charlie’s arm. “And he’s fine right?”

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded as she looked at her son before looking to Ella and Toby. “There’s a kid missing. Where’s my other boy?”

Ruby laughed. “April and Noah have Rolo out for a walk.” Ruby answered.

“He wants to marry April,” Ella giggled, before she noticed the gummy worms in Toby’s hand. “You have to share them.” Ella said, reaching out for them.

“Never,” Toby held them closer to his chest. “They is mines. All mines.” Toby said before running from the room, Ella chasing after him.

“So you have a good weekend?” Ruby questioned looking up to her parents.

“It was great,” Brax answered. “Thanks so much.”

“No problems,” Ruby answered, looking through the room as Ella and Toby were screaming at each other. “I’ll go.” Ruby said before disappearing from the kitchen.

“Hey Luca bean.” Brax reached his hand out and Charlie moved slightly so he could rub his son’s head.

“Are you going to give mummy and daddy a smile?” Charlie questioned. “You did for Ruby. That’s a little cheeky giving your sister your first smile and not mummy, yes it is,” Charlie cooed, lightly rubbing his chin. “Go on baby I know you want too,” Charlie watched Luca as his big green eyes went all wide as he watched her. He made a little squeak but gave her no smile. “Okay then you can give me some nice smiles later. How about now you have a good feed because mummy’s boobies are all sore and full from not feeding all weekend. Hmmm, yes they are.” Charlie said before taking a seat at the kitchen table, going to feed her son.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Chax, Spotd1, Red Ranger 1, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sabrina for the comments. :wub: And a very happy New Year to everyone. :)

One hundred and thirty-two

Almost a week had passed and Tegan’s health had continued to deteriorate. She became too sick to think about travelling back to New Zealand, but Heath and Bianca had continued to make things as comfortable as they could for her in their home. April was still staying with Ruby, allowing Tegan her room. They’d moved Darcy into sharing with Katie to give Tegan space of her own for her final days.

Bianca was in the kitchen, making up a bottle for Freya while Katie and Darcy played with the cat in the living room. Bianca knew taking on any child who’d just lost their mother would be hard, but felt it might even be harder with Darcy considering next week she’d turn 13. She knew she’d need to give the child some space, but at the same time let her know that she’d be there for her. “You okay?” Bianca looked up as she heard Heath’s voice. She gave him a weak smile as she nodded.

“Just thinking. You know it’s...” Bianca took a deep breath before reaching for the bottle teat, screwing it onto the top of the bottle.

“I know,” Heath wrapped his arms around her from behind as he softly kissed the back of her head. “She wants to talk to you,” Heath said, clearing his throat. He just been in talking with Tegan and now she wanted to talk with Bianca. Bianca bit her lip as she looked around to her husband. “It’ll be fine. This will be much harder for her.”

“Mmm,” Bianca exhaled looking down to the bottle in her hand. “Feed Freya.” Bianca handed the bottle to Heath before she took a deep breath and walked across to April’s room, knocking softly on the door before entering. Tegan was sitting up in the bed. Her eyes were drawn into her face and she was white. Very white. She looked the most ill Bianca had seen her and Bianca knew it was going to happen soon. Very soon in fact.

“Bianca,” Tegan already sounded out of breath. She patted the bed beside her and Bianca walked across, sitting down and facing Tegan. Tegan picked up a picture of Darcy and ran her hand over it. “She is yours now,” Tegan said. “You need to be there for her.”

“Of course I will be.” Bianca already felt herself welling up.

Tegan gave a weak smile. “You need to teach her to do her make-up and talk with her about boys. Don’t let Heath do that,” Tegan shook her head and Bianca gave a little laugh, if only to stop herself crying. “Take her shopping for her formal dress and mend her first broken heart,” Tegan paused for breath. “I can’t do any of those things anymore and I need to know she’ll have someone there doing that for her.”

“I promise.” Bianca spoke softly as she took Tegan’s hand. It was cold. Bianca gave it a squeeze.

“And when she starts her period,” Tegan said. “You’ll be there for her. A girl....a girl starts needing her mother more the older she gets and I’m not...” Tegan’s eyes started to gloss over.

“I’ll make it very clear that no matter what I will be there for Darcy. That she can come to me with anything.” Bianca rubbed her thumb over Tegan’s hand. Tegan gave a weak smile. Of course she was glad Bianca would accept her daughter into her life but she wished more than anything that she didn’t need to leave it.

“I have letters.” Tegan said, reaching across the bed. She handed them to Bianca and she looked down at them, reading over the writing. Darcy on your 18th birthday, Darcy on your graduation day, Darcy on your wedding day and lastly Darcy on becoming a mother.

“I’ll make sure she gets them.” Bianca sniffed back, feeling tears in her eyes.

Tegan gave a thankful smile. “And don’t let her give you attitude,” Tegan said. “You are her mother now and she should talk to you with respect.”

Bianca sniffed back as she wiped her hand over her eye. “I won’t,” Bianca said. “And at least she’s old enough to always remember you. How gorgeous you where, how you made her laugh, how you helped her if she was upset. She’ll never forget.”

Tegan pursed her lips together as she felt a tear rolling down her cheek. “No Facebook until she is 16,” Tegan sniffed back. “And a mobile phone, she can get one when she turns 14. She wants to die her hair too but it’s so gorgeous as it is. Don’t let her die her hair,” Tegan said. “Not yet. When she is 16 she can do what she wants with her hair but not right now.”

“Got it,” Bianca gave a little nod. “I’ll make sure she follows your wishes.”

“And one more thing, Bianca,” Tegan said. “Don’t be a better mother than me.” Tegan said before she burst into tears. Bianca leaned forward, pulling the woman in a hug, trying to notice how skinny and frail she felt.

“Darcy is never going to think that. You are always going to be her mother.” Bianca said rubbing Tegan’s back as they stayed in the embrace.

Charlie was doing a load of laundry when Ella came running into the kitchen. “Mum,” Ella patted on Charlie’s back repeatedly with both hands. “Mum mum mum.” Ella said hardly giving Charlie a chance to answer her.

“What petal?” Charlie questioned, pushing the button on the washing machine before standing up, turning to face her daughter.

“Can we do a mummy daughter day tomorrow?” Ella questioned.

“Eh what did you want to do?” Charlie leaned herself against the kitchen worktop, looking down on her daughter who was staring up at her, her big blue eyes all wide.

“A mummy daughter day.” Ella answered.

“I know that,” Charlie said. “I meant what did you want to do for the day?”

“Oh,” Ella scratched the side of her head. “Go to a place to get massages and get our feet and hands nails done pretty and swim.”

“You want to go to the spa?” Charlie said and Ella nodded with a grin on her face. “Eh,” Charlie rubbed the side of her head. “Mummy will phone and see if there’s space for us.” Charlie said and Ella screeched as she lunged forward and hugged her mother tightly.

“Yes yes yes.” Ella pumped her fists as she ran out of the room, yelling out for Noah and Toby, Charlie knowing all too well she was going to boast about how she was getting a special day out with mummy.

“What’s she so excited about?” Brax questioned as he walked into the kitchen.

“We are going on a special mother daughter day out tomorrow.” Charlie answered. Brax followed her voice and wrapped his arms around her as he stood in front of her.

“What about the boys?” Brax questioned.

“Well it sort of defeats the purpose of a mother daughter day if the boys come and I don’t really think they’d appreciate a day at the spa anyways.” Charlie answered.

“I didn’t mean that,” Brax replied. “I meant who would look after them?”

Charlie ran her hands up and down Brax’s arms. “They’ll stay with daddy.”

“Me alone with 3 little boys?” Brax sounded extremely worried. “Babe that’s....you can’t expect me to be able to deal with that,” Brax said. “Just Noah, just Toby, Just Luca maybe, but all 3 of them?” Brax shook his head. “I can’t do that alone. Plus we have the dog.”

Charlie exhaled lightly. “So you want me to tell Ella we can’t go anymore?” Charlie asked.

“I don’t want her to get upset or disappointed,” Brax sighed softly. “I...maybe it just would have been more ideal if you planned this for when Ruby and April were here so they could help me.” Brax said, Ruby and April being away for the weekend that was originally meant for Bianca and Heath.

“Well I can’t help when she asked.” Charlie mumbled.

“I know,” Brax exhaled. “And Heath and Bianca have enough going on with Tegan and Darcy right now. They don’t need me and the boys to look after as well.”

Charlie pursed her lips. “Well if you’d feel better with someone else there what about Leah and Miles?” Charlie suggested. “Ask them along to the beach with you. They can bring VJ. They boys can surf or play with the ball with you and Miles and Leah can watch Luca. Or you could call Henry. You used to hang about with him a lot. I’m sure he’d like to catch up with you.”

“He liked fishing with me and surfing and having beers and playing poker,” Brax sighed. “That’s not stuff a blind man can do.”

Charlie clicked her tongue. “He’s your friend, Brax. He’s not going to stop hanging out with you because you are blind. And Toby likes Henry so he’ll annoy him instead of you,” Charlie gave a little grin as she rubbed his arms again. “You can have a fun day out with your boys.”

“Yeah,” Brax mumbled. “Of course I’d love for you and Ella to go have some special time together but just....you have to find me a babysitter first.” Brax said. Charlie sighed lightly before giving a little nod.

“Okay. I’ll find someone to come help.” Charlie said before placing a soft kiss on Brax’s lips. Brax smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as he pulled her closer to him so their bodies were pressed together.

Thank you Red Ranger 1, CharlieAndBraxLover, Spotd1 and Sarah for the comments. :)

One hundred and thirty-three

April walked out of the bathroom and into the bedroom, seeing Ruby with a needle in the side of her stomach. “You okay?” April questioned.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered, pulling her summer dress back down her body. She put the needle into the little bin she had for all her needles before turning to face her girlfriend. “Just needed a sugar kick.”

“I’ll give you some sugar.” April wrapped her arms around Ruby’s waist before placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“Mmm you give nice sugar.” Ruby said, placing another kiss on her girlfriend’s lips.

“Come see the bathroom,” April took Ruby’s hand and led her to the room. “Marble bathtub, huge shower, look at it,” April pointed to the shower as they walked into the room. “You could fit 20 people in there.”

“I hope you don’t want to shower with 20 people.” Ruby said.

“Just you baby.” April answered, patting her hand.

“Good answer,” Ruby smiled. “But I think having a bubble bath together would be more fun,” Ruby said. “Get some strawberries and some champagne. Lots of bubbles.”

“Champagne goes right to my head,” April replied. “It’s the -”

“Bubbles, I know,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “Drunk April is fun though. I am so getting you drunk tonight baby,” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Then I’ll have my wicked way with you.”

“You don’t need to get me drunk for that to happen.” April once again wrapped her arms around Ruby’s waist and placed a kiss on her lips.

“I know,” Ruby answered. “It’s still going to happen though.” Ruby grinned cheekily.

April laughed a little. “We’ll see about that,” April said. “I love you baby.”

“Love you to sweets,” Ruby tucked April’s hair behind her ear. “C’mon, let’s go explore.” Ruby pulled April from the bathroom, grabbing the key from the bedside table and leaving the hotel room to explore the gardens with her girlfriend.

Charlie and Ella had gotten massages at the spa and were now enjoying a swim before they’d have lunch. “Mummy?” Ella questioned as Charlie sat at the edge of the pool, her legs dangling in the water.

“What petal?” Charlie questioned as Ella was gripping on to the side of the pool, already in the water.

“Why is you wearing a swimming costume?” Ella questioned, looking her mother up and down.

“Because we are swimming.” Charlie screwed her face up, feeling a little confused at her daughters question.

“I know we are swimming I am seven you know, I’m not stupid,” Ella answered and Charlie sucked in her bottom lip, raising her eyebrows at her daughter. “I meant you always wear a bikini. Two pieces,” Ella held up two fingers. “Not one.”

“Ah,” Charlie gave a little nod. “Well yes but mummy’s just had a baby see, so her tummy isn’t very nice to see right now.” Charlie patted her stomach and this time it was Ella’s turn to screw her face up.

“Mum you haven’t just had a baby,” Ella said. “Luca is seven weeks old. That’s ages ago.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Not for getting rid of flab and stretch marks,” Charlie said her hand still on her stomach. “And after ever baby I have it’s harder to lose the fat.”

“But you isn’t fat. I saw your tummy when we was getting changed to swim and your tummy is just a little wrinkly,” Ella told her and Charlie gave a little laugh. “You is so beautiful mummy. You really are. If daddy could still see you he’d say the same.”

“Aww that was a very nice thing to say sweetie,” Charlie ruffled her daughter’s hair and Ella grinned for a moment before her face went sad. “You okay?”

Ella shrugged. “Does daddy remember how I look?”

“Of course he will. He’ll never forget your cheeky little face,” Charlie pinched her daughter’s cheek and Ella giggled. “Right, let’s have a little swim then we can get lunch yeah?” Charlie put her hands on the edge of the pool, before she slipped in.

“We will race,” Ella said. “To the other side, okay?”

“Uh-huh,” Charlie gave a little nod. “You ready?”

Ella pulled her goggles from the top of her head, putting them over her eyes. “Go.” Ella said before she shot of swimming, leaving Charlie lagging behind.

“Oi cheeky,” Charlie said. “You could have given me warning.” Charlie shook her head at her daughter before she started to swim after her.

Bianca and Heath were out with the girls. They’d asked Tegan to come for a walk but she didn’t feel up to it. Lola had walked into the bedroom and had curled into a ball on Tegan’s lap so they’d left them to rest together, taking the girls out and saying they’d stop of at the diner for milkshakes. Bianca was pushing the pram as Katie and Heath walked beside her, hand in hand. Darcy was lagging behind, looking downwards, her arms crossed over her chest. Heath looked around to her before looking to Bianca. He gestured to Bianca and she looked around to her before looking back to Heath. “Take them inside.” Bianca mouthed and Heath nodded, putting a hand on the pram and walking on towards the diner. She walked over to Darcy and put an arm around her shoulders. Darcy pulled away slightly, before letting Bianca’s arm rest there.

“It’s going to be soon.” Darcy spoke quietly, her gaze still on the ground. Bianca walked in the direction of the bench, sitting down with Darcy taking a seat next to her.

“I know,” Bianca also spoke quietly, rubbing Darcy’s back. “And you probably don’t want to hear this but...” Bianca pursed her lips. “She’s going to a better place.”

“How can it be better if it is away from me?” Darcy questioned. “I need her here. She’s my mum. She’s supposed to be here for me.”

“I know sweetie,” Bianca felt herself getting emotional. “But she’s sick and her pain will stop and that’s better for her, right?”

“I guess,” Darcy answered. Bianca could see she was trying her hardest not to cry, but her eyes were glossing over. “But then where will I belong?” Darcy questioned. “She’s my family.”

“You belong with us,” Bianca sniffed back. “Your dad and your two little sisters. Your Uncle Brax and Auntie Charlie and all your little cousins,” Bianca ran her hand over Darcy’s face, wiping away tears. “And me. Darcy you are always, always, always going to have me.”

Darcy gave a weak smile. “So I can come to you with stuff my mum would normally help out with?” Darcy questioned and Bianca gave a little nod. “And what about maths?” Darcy questioned. “I don’t get it and mum wasn’t the best at it either and it’s the only class I’m not good at but I want to be a vet so I need to work hard to get my maths better and I don’t think dad can do math.”

Bianca gave a little laugh. “I can do math,” Bianca exhaled. “So any homework help you need, I’ll help,” Bianca said. “And a vet huh? That’s a good job.”

“Yeah,” Darcy smiled. “I love animals. Especially cats. It’s cool Katie has Lola.”

“Yeah well get your dad on the soft and maybe we can get a little friend for Lola,” Bianca nudged Darcy’s arm and she smiled. “Now how about we go get a milkshake? You can even have a piece of cake.” Bianca said standing to her feet. Darcy gave a little nod before standing up and walking up to the diner with Bianca, Bianca knowing the hardest part was still come with Darcy but she was going to be right there for the girl all the way through it.

Thank you for the comments. :)

One hundred and thirty-four

Brax and Henry had taken the boys fishing. Luca was napping in his pram and the older boys were sitting on little camping chairs on the pier in between Brax and Henry. “This is boring,” Toby swung his legs back and forth. “Daddy I wanna go surf.”

“Nah we are not surfing today buddy,” Brax answered. “We are fishing. I bet if you catch something you will think its fun.”

“No I won’t.” Toby pouted sadly letting go of his fishing rod. Noah gasped as he reached down for it, holding his and Toby’s rods in his hands.

“It’s not boring,” Noah told his brother. “It good fun fishing is,” Noah gave a nod. “And we might catch dinner for us all.”

“I don’t like fish.” Toby screwed his face up as he folded his arms across his chest, giving an annoyed pout at their choice of activity.

“You liked fishing the last time,” Henry said. “Remember when we went out on the boat?”

“I no anymore,” Toby sighed as Luca gave a little stir. Both Brax and Henry looked in the direction of the pram, but the stirring quickly stopped and they went back to their fishing. “That’s Luca.” Toby pointed to the pram as he looked to Henry.

“Luca Thomas.” Noah corrected.

“Yeah,” Henry said. “He’s a sweet little guy. Is he a good little brother?”

“Yeah,” Toby nodded. “I’m the goodest big brother.” Toby grinned as he hit his chest.

“You is not,” Noah gasped. “We is the same.”

“Nuh-uh,” Toby shook his head, looking to Noah. “Mummy says when I helps her I is the best.”

“She tells me that too.” Noah stuck his tongue out.

“You are both brilliant big brothers.” Brax said, making peace before a fight broke out. Although between Noah and Toby it was very rare. It was usually Ella and Toby being told off for quarrelling.

“Henry does you have a baby?” Toby looked back up to him.

“Well actually Toby my girlfriend is having a baby.” Henry gave a smile at his impending fatherhood.

“Congratulations mate,” Brax turned to face him. “How far along?”

“She’s 4 and a half months,” Henry answered. “I would have told you sooner but Eleanor was worried something was going to happen so made me hold off telling anyone. Only just got to tell my parents last week and I think it was because she was starting to show.”

“Aww well I’m really happy for you. Congratulations.” Brax said again.

“Thanks.” Henry smiled.

“Girlfriend?” Noah screwed his face up. “Isn’t she your wife?” Noah questioned.

“No we aren’t married, bud.” Henry answered.

“Why?” Noah questioned. “You are having a baby. You should be married.”

“Eh.” Henry shook his head a little.

“How long is she been your girlfriend?” Noah asked.

“7 years.” Henry answered and Noah shook his head at him looking most annoyed.

“That’s all my life,” Noah screeched. “You should be married now and cos of the baby. The baby needs you to be married.”

“You to marry her.” Toby nodded his head, clearly agreeing with Noah. Brax gave a little laugh at his sons.

“Boys some people don’t want to get married,” Brax said. “They still love each other very much and are excited about becoming parents just the same as if they were married.”

“No,” Noah shook his head. “It’s not right daddy,” Noah looked very concerned as he looked to his father. “Adults are supposed to be married.”

Henry and Brax laughed a little. “Well maybe one day we will and you can come to the wedding okay?” Henry said and Noah grinned before looking out to the water really hoping that someone, more especially, he would soon catch a fish.

After massages and a swim Charlie and Ella had gone to get some lunch. “This is such a good day,” Ella grinned as she sat up on the chair opposite her mother. “One of my best evers.”

“I’m glad you are having a good time,” Charlie smiled. “Mummy is too.”

“Can we do it every week?” Ella questioned, grinning hopefully.

“I don’t think we will have the time to do something every week,” Charlie said. “And if we did it every week then it’s not going to be as special. We are better to have our special days every now and then.”

“Yeah,” Ella answered. “No stupid boys.”

“The boys aren’t stupid.” Charlie opened the menu before looking back to her daughter.

“Well Noah and Luca aren’t,” Ella sighed. “But Toby. He is some of the times.” Ella shook her head as she thought about her little brother.

Charlie gave a little laugh before she smiled at the fact Ella was liking Luca more and more these days. “Oh mummy,” Ella slapped her hands against her cheek. “Is you remembering about One Direction tickets for me and you?”

“Uhm.” Charlie pursed her lips.

“They are on sale in January. It’s January now.” Ella said, her eyes showing she was panicking a little at the thought of not getting tickets.

“Oh well I will have a look when I get home and see when in January they are on sale, okay?” Charlie would of course try to get Ella a ticket but she knew they’d sell out fast and would need to be very quick.

“Yeah,” Ella clapped her hands, excited at the thought of seeing One Direction. “I’ll see Niall in real life.” Ella grinned. Charlie laughed at her daughter’s excitement, hoping she wouldn’t be too disappointed if they didn’t get tickets.

Ruby laughed as she ran her hand over his arm. “That’s funny.” Ruby said. “Isn’t it, April?” April glared at her girlfriend. Although she didn’t mind this in the beginning, she was starting to think Ruby was enjoying it maybe a little too much. April shrugged her shoulders, running her hand up and down the stem of her wine glass.

“So can we get you two lovely ladies another drink?” The man questioned.

“That would be great, thank you.” Ruby continued to rub his arm as she fluttered her eyes a little. He smiled at her before standing up.

“Not for me. I’m going back to the hotel.” April stood up and walked out of the pub, Ruby following after her.

“April,” Ruby shouted as she caught up with her in the street. “Why are you leaving? We were having a good night.”

“You were all over him.” April said, continuing to walk back to the hotel. Ruby picked up her pace, trying to keep up with her.

“It was just a bit of harmless flirting and it was getting us free drinks,” Ruby put her hand on April’s arm, stopping her from walking. April span around to face her girlfriend. “You were the one that said he liked me and I should get a drink or two for us out of it.”

“Yeah well you started to enjoy it a little too much, Rubes,” April retorted. “We are supposed to be in a relationship. You don’t enjoy flirting that much with someone if you are happy in your relationship.”

“It was just a bit of harmless flirting,” Ruby said again, holding her hands out to the side as she raised her voice. Not understanding why April was acting that way. “It’s not like anything would ever happen,” Ruby sighed. “And don’t you tell me you haven’t ever flirted with another woman,” Ruby scoffed. “I see you with that chick who works at the soft play where we sometimes take the kids.”

“We are just being friendly,” April answered. “And I’m pretty sure you have shared that look with her too.”

“And you are not going to yell at me for that?” Ruby questioned. “Ah wait, I get it,” Ruby sniggered as she shook her head. “If they don’t have a penis it’s all fine. Just a bit of harmless flirting,” Ruby exhaled. “But if I so much as look at a guy you think I want to get into his pants,” Ruby scoffed. “If you want a full blown lesbian girlfriend then you are going to have to look elsewhere because I am not a lesbian. I still find guys attractive.”

“Don’t I know it judging by tonight.” April spat before turning and walking away, leaving Ruby standing in the street, watching her girlfriend walk off.

Thanks Red Ranger 1 and Sarah. This will be the last one I am able to post for a few weeks. My family are coming to visit so I will be busy with them. :)

One hundred and thirty-five

“April,” Ruby knocked on the door of their hotel room. “I know you are in there so will you just let me in?” Ruby leaned her head against the door before she sighed. “Sweets please open the door. If you don’t I’ll just get a key from reception so I’ll get in either way,” Ruby said waiting for a minute or two but hearing no movement from inside the room. “April,” Ruby banged her hand hard against the door. She sighed in relief as she heard footsteps and heard the door unlock before it opened. “Baby.” Ruby spoke softly as she saw tear stairs on April’s cheeks. She stepped into the room and closed the door, before facing April again.

“I’m sorry,” April cried. “I just couldn’t bare it if I lost you again,” April sniffed back. “I love you so much and don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“I love you too,” Ruby stepped forward and rubbed April’s arm. “So much. So so much that it’s hurts when I am not with you,” Ruby said moving her hand up to rub April’s cheek, wiping away a tear. “You are the person that I want to spend the rest of my life with but I need to know that you trust me,” Ruby said. “Because if you don’t then this is never going to work.”

“I do trust you,” April sniffed back as she nodded. “I really do. I...I guess I’m scared that you are going to get bored and one day want to be with a guy again, you know, our plumbing is different.”

“I could never get bored of you,” Ruby spoke softly. “I would marry you tomorrow if I wasn’t already married and it was legal for two chicks to marry.” Ruby said, still rubbing her cheek.

April gave a soft smile. “It surely can’t be that much longer till you can start divorce proceedings.”

“Two and a half weeks,” Ruby said. “But I don’t think it’ll be easy.”

“Maybe he’ll surprise you,” April said. “He’s with Sophie now and....” April pursed her lips. “Well hopefully pretty soon you’ll be a divorced woman.”

“Divorced at 22,” Ruby laughed at herself. “Kind of embarrassing, isn’t it?”

“Not when you think you left Romeo and want a divorce to be with someone you love so much.” April said and Ruby gave a weak smile.

“Just....just promise me this won’t be a conversation we’ll have again as I am pretty sure we’ve had this argument more than once already. I love you and I want to be with no-one but you and it kind of hurts me that you think I’ll get bored and want more than you can offer and that you get all angry because I’m not a lesbian and that I still find guys attractive,” April bowed her head down a little. “Just because I say a guy is attractive it doesn’t mean that I want to jump into bed with him. I have you. You are the only person I plan on being intimate with for the rest of my life. I love you and I’m committed to you.” Ruby exhaled.

“I know you are. I’m sorry.” April sounded sincere as she rubbed Ruby’s arm.

Ruby gave a weak smile before looking to the side table. “There’s still some champagne left. How about we have that bubble bath with extra bubbles?”

April shook her head. “I think I’ve had enough alcohol. But the bubble bath still sounds nice.” April smiled.

“Great, let’s go then.” Ruby said, grabbing April’s hand and leading her to the bathroom.

Charlie was on the laptop, checking about the One Direction tickets for Ella. “Morning.” Brax stretched as he walked into the kitchen.

“Hey you decided to get up.” Charlie smiled up at her husband as he leaned down and kissed her cheek.

Brax exhaled as he sat down next to her. “The kids up?”

“No they are still in bed,” Charlie answered. “Must all be tired.” Charlie sounded thankful for that. The kids always got up around 7 even in the school holidays but today it was almost 9 and they were all still in bed.

“Must have all had too much fun yesterday,” Brax said and Charlie agreed, hitting some keys on the laptop. “You on the laptop?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah I’m looking for the One Direction tickets for Ella,” Charlie said. “The Sydney shows tickets are already sold out,” Charlie sighed, Sydney of course being the easiest destination for them to attend. “They only went on sale yesterday.” Charlie said.

“Yeah but its One Direction,” Brax said rubbing some sleep from his eye. “They would be sold out in minutes I’d expect.”

“Three shows though,” Charlie sighed. “Not even two measly tickets way in the back of the arena left.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “You sound disappointed about that. You actually want to see One Direction?”

“Of course I don’t,” Charlie replied. “But it would probably make Ella’s life if I told her I got tickets. I’m sure I could cope with their highly annoying pop songs for an hour or two if it was going to put a smile on my little girl’s face.”

Brax smiled as he rubbed her thigh. “Were else can you get tickets for?”

“Perth or Melbourne tickets are on sale in about 10 minutes time,” Charlie said glancing at the time from the bottom corner of the laptop. “Perth is just a little too far to go but Melbourne could work. We could take the train and have a nice day in the city then see them at night and get the train back the next day.”

“So you’d be gone overnight?” Brax sounded worried and Charlie instantly knew why.

“I’d make sure Rubes and April would be here that weekend,” Charlie rubbed his back. “And while Ella and I have some girl time you and the boys get more boy time,” Charlie said. “Could even go for a camping trip. Do some fishing as well.”

“Don’t really think Toby was impressed with the fishing.” Brax said.

“Well Noah was,” Charlie said. “He couldn’t stop talking about it last night,” Charlie gave a little smile. “So fishing can be a daddy Noah activity.”

“What about trouble?” Brax questioned.

“Take him surfing. To the park. Out for ice-cream. Let him run wild in a field. He’d probably enjoy that.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Yeah,” Brax agreed. “So how much are these tickets?”

“$100,” Charlie didn’t sound happy with the price and with the gasp Brax gave he didn’t either. “I know but imagine her little face when she gets to see them.”

“I can only imagine,” Brax said. “Well give it a try and we’ll see from there I guess.”

“Unless you wanted to come?” Charlie said. “The three of us could go to Melbourne and the boys can stay here with Rubes?”

“Eh,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I’ll leave the One Direction stuff to you from now on,” Brax said, not forgetting that Charlie tricked him into seeing the movie with his daughter. “I think me and the boys need bonding time that weekend.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Right well fingers crossed.” Charlie patted his hand before trying to get some tickets.

Bianca, Heath, Katie, Tegan and Darcy were sitting around the table on the patio in the back garden of the house. They were having a barbeque lunch. There was also a cake on the table and snacks such as popcorn, cupcakes and potato chips. They were celebrating Darcy’s birthday a week early, Tegan knowing she wasn’t going to be here to see her daughters thirteenth. Sitting on the table next to Bianca was the baby monitor, Bianca bringing it out with her as Freya was napping inside. Lola was on the grass, her little toy mouse in her mouth as she wandered around. “Can I have cake now?” Katie questioned.

“No,” Bianca answered. “We can have cake after daddy’s cooked the barbie.”

“Daddy,” Katie gasped. “Don’t cook my Barbie dolls.”

Heath laughed at his daughter’s mistake. “I’m not cooking your Barbie dolls. This here,” Heath hit the side of the barbeque. It can be called a barbie too.”

“Oh,” Katie screwed her face up. “Well hurry I want cake.”

“It looks good huh?” Tegan questioned quietly and Katie looked at her with a nod.

“Mummy makes good cakes,” Katie nodded. “She a good baker.”

“Baking might be good but the cooking is not so great,” Heath said, looking down at the barbeque as he spoke. “Hope you aren’t used to fine dining Darce.”

“Mum couldn’t cook either.” Darcy said and Tegan pursed her lips sadly, Darcy already speaking about her in past tense.

“Hey,” Bianca glared at Heath. “I’m not that bad at cooking. I mean maybe when we first started dating I was bad, but...” Bianca clicked her tongue. “I’d like to think over the years I have improved.”

“You keep thinking that.” Heath mumbled and Darcy gave a little laugh, Tegan smiling, glad to see her daughter happy.

“How about,” Tegan could only manage a whisper. “We do presents before we eat?”

“Yeah,” Darcy gave a grin. “Dad can I?”

Heath gave a little nod before looking to Bianca. Katie jumped down from the table and disappeared into the house. “Katie, what you doing?” Bianca shouted in the house to her daughter.

“I getting present,” Katie said, coming out of the house with a piece of paper in her hand. “I drawed it,” Katie handed the drawing up to Darcy. “This me,” Katie pointed to the little person. “And this you,” Katie pointed to the taller person. “This my kitty Lola,” Katie pointed to what was meant to be a cat. “And this is Rocco tree,” Katie said pointing to the tree, representing Rocco. “And that be Freya.” Katie pointed to the little baby drawing.

“Aww thank you Katie,” Darcy smiled. “It’s very good,” Darcy said and Katie smiled as she climbed up onto her knee, Darcy giving her a hug. “Me and my siblings, huh?”

“Yeah,” Katie nodded. “And my Lola.” Katie pointed to the cat drawing.

“Well here is mines,” Tegan handed her the gift. Darcy opened the parcel and saw she’d received a new camera. “Capture every moment,” Tegan told her daughter. “Remember life is short. Make lots of memories.” Tegan said and Darcy bowed her head down sadly before she gave a little nod.

“Mummy gives yours.” Katie told her.

Bianca looked to Heath who sighed and gave a little nod. Bianca smiled at him before looking back to Darcy. “Well we haven’t got it yet,” Bianca said. “But seeing as Katie has Lola and you said you wanted to be a Vet we thought you would like to have a pet too.” Bianca said and Darcy’s eyes lit up for the first time since she’d been in the bay.

“Really, dad you’ll let me get a pet?” Darcy questioned.

“You’ve got Bianca to thank. She twisted my arm,” Heath exhaled. “But yes, we will take you out to get a pet. How about a puppy? Dogs are cool right?”

“Yeah but I like cats more,” Darcy answered and Heath sighed lightly, knowing she was going to say that, having already been told by Bianca. “Can you get me a cat?”

“Yeah,” Katie screeched. “Lola will get a friend,” Katie jumped down from Darcy’s knee. “I tell her.” Katie said, running down to get her kitten.

“That’s a great gift huh Darce?” Tegan said and Darcy nodded, a grin still on her face. “Well I do have one more thing for you.” Tegan passed her a second parcel. Darcy ripped it open and opened up the box, revealing a love heart pendant necklace. Darcy opened the pendant and saw a picture of Tegan inside. “You don’t have to keep me in there but I thought....”

“Of course I want to keep you in there,” Darcy told her, looking at her mother’s white sickly face. “I wish you didn’t have to die.” Darcy started to cry as she leaned forward and enveloped her mother in a hug.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the comments. :)

One hundred and thirty six

Heath, Bianca and Darcy were still at the graveside. It was only a small funeral. No one in the bay really knew Tegan. Brax, Charlie, Ruby and April were the only other guests. Darcy had read a poem for her mother and the minister gave a short service. She wanted to stay longer with her mother so Bianca and Heath had stayed with her, the others going to the restaurant where there would be a light lunch and drinks. Brax was standing outside, leaning over the balcony, a bottle of beer in his hand. “You okay?” Charlie rubbed his back as she joined him.

“Me?” Brax questioned. “I’m fine.”

“You know it would be okay if you were upset,” Charlie told him, continuing to rub his back. “She was your girlfriend at one point. From the ages of 14 through till....what was it, 22 on and off. She was your first everything and it’s alright to feel sad that she’s passed.”

Brax took a deep breath, his eyes glossing over. “It’s Darcy I am most sad for. I know Bianca will be amazing with her but she shouldn’t be losing her mother, not yet. She’s too young for this. And Tegan too, she was young.”

“I know.” Charlie pursed her lips.

“I...” Brax paused. “I did love her once you know.” Brax ran his hand over the balcony top.

“I know you did,” Charlie was still rubbing his back. “Which is why it’s okay for you to be upset.”

“33, she was only 33.” I....” Brax shook his head. “I don’t get why things like this has to happen.” Brax exhaled, clearing at a loss to why things like this had to happen.

“I don’t think anyone does,” Charlie spoke softly. “It’s just the way life is sometimes. Why does anything happen?”

Brax gave a shrug. “I used to think everything happened for a reason. That’s why I believed I turned blind. That I’m supposed to be. I’m not sure why yet, but...” Brax exhaled. “This...” Brax shook his head. “There’s no reason why a 13 year old girl should lose her mother. It’s not right.”

“It’s awful,” Charlie agreed, really feeling for her young niece right now. “But she has her father, a stepmother and two little sisters. She has us and all her army of cousins. She’ll be loved so much here.” Charlie spoke softly, aware of her husband’s upset.

“You know all this has made me think, what if Darcy didn’t have Heath? Where would she be right now?” Brax questioned.

“I don’t know,” Charlie answered. “That depends on what Tegan would have done.”

Brax pursed his lips. “And what about our kids?” Brax questioned. “What if something happens to the both of us and they’re left....” Brax wiped a tear that rolled down his cheek. “Where are they going to go, Charlie?”

“Nothing is going to happen to us.” Charlie was still rubbing his back, Brax welcoming of the comfort it was bringing him.

“You don’t know that,” Brax said. “I mean there are 4 of them. That’s a lot of kids to ask someone to take on but we can’t split them up. Not after they lose their parents.”

“Baby we are not going to think about that.” Charlie didn’t want to think of something so awful. She was going to be there to see her kids grown into responsible adults and into parents themselves.

“We need to have a plan, Charlie.” Brax sighed before he wiped his hand across his eyes, wiping away the tears.

“Okay, okay we can discuss it but not today,” Charlie sighed lightly, this not really a discussion she wanted to have. “You are upset and I think you need to grieve for Tegan,” Charlie told him. “We can discuss this another time.”

“Okay,” Brax gave a little nod. Of course he didn’t want to think about himself or Charlie dying but after seeing Darcy so broken and lost at losing Tegan, he knew he needed to think about his kids and what would happen if that was the case, but like Charlie said, right now wasn’t the time to think about that. Right now was the time to remember Tegan. “To a beautiful woman taken too soon.” Brax held his beer up towards the sky before he took a drink. He exhaled before turning his head in Charlie’s direction, Charlie seeing tears falling down his cheeks. She pursed her lips before pulling her husband into a hug.

Darcy was sitting on the couch in Bianca and Heath’s place. She was still wearing her black dress, the pendant necklace her mother had given her visible around her neck. Her face was tearstained from all the tears she cried that day. “Do you want anything to eat?” Bianca spoke softly, leaning down before the girl, placing her hand onto her knee. “You’ve not eaten all day.”

Darcy shook her head. “I don’t feel like eating.” Darcy’s voice was a squeak as her eyes misted over again.

“I know sweetheart but it’s probably best to try something,” Bianca told her. “Anything you want we’ll get it for you.” Bianca lightly rubbed Darcy’s cheek.

“Can you get me my mum back?” Darcy questioned. Bianca exhaled a little as she bowed her head. “No, well then I don’t want anything.” Darcy pushed Bianca’s hand from her.

“Darcy.” Heath took a seat next to his daughter. He tentatively put his arm around her to show her some comfort but she shrugged him away.

“Leave me alone,” Darcy stood up from the couch. “I don’t want to be here. I want to be in New Zealand in my own house where I have my own room and don’t have to sleep on a camp bed in a room with a baby.” Darcy raised her voice.

“I am not a baby,” Katie came marching out of her bedroom, Lola in her arms like she was holding a baby. “I is nearly 5.” Katie scowled at Darcy.

“Yeah well I am almost 13 and I am not sharing a room with a 5 year old,” Darcy spat. “I’m going to New Zealand to live with Daisy.” Darcy ran out of the house, slamming the door shut behind her. Katie gasped at Darcy’s outburst as Heath stood up from the couch, going to go after his daughter. Bianca stood to her feet and held her hand out, taking a hold of Heath’s arm, stopping him from moving.

“Bianca,” Heath glanced at her. “I need to go after her.”

“She needs space.” Bianca told him.

“I can’t leave her out there,” Heath raised his voice. “You heard her. She’s going to go back to New Zealand.”

“And how the hell is she going to get there?” Bianca questioned. “Her passport is here, she has no money or no way to get to the airport. I think it’s safe to assume she will be staying the bay,” Bianca told him. “She just needs to cool off. She’s more than likely gone to Tegan’s grave. Let’s just give her some time and we’ll go get her soon, okay?”

Heath rubbed his forehead as he exhaled, knowing Bianca would more than likely be right. “We’ll give her 20 minutes,” Heath said, glancing at the door before looking down to Katie. “You okay there pumpkin?” Heath questioned.

“Where’d Darcy’s mummy go?” Katie asked.

Bianca walked over to her and bent down to her level. “Remember we told you she went to heaven to be an angel.” Bianca tucked Katie’s hair behind her ear as she spoke.

“Oh with Rocco?” Katie questioned.

“Yeah,” Bianca gave a little nod. “She’s with Rocco.”

“It good he got a friend.” Katie said, still cuddling her kitten close to her. The kitten squirmed a little, trying to break free to the ground.

“Uh-huh,” Bianca rubbed Katie’s cheek. “Now how about you put Lola down? I think you’ve cuddled her enough for now.”

“No,” Katie held her closer to her body. “She my kitty. She likes cuddles.”

“I know she does but she wants to run around,” Bianca said, trying to get the kitten from Katie’s grasp. “You can still have fun with her. Let her run for a bit.”

“No.” Katie moaned moving back from Bianca.

“Katie,” Bianca exhaled. “Put her down.”

“Uh-uh.” Katie shook her head.

“Katie,” Bianca’s voice rose a little. “Katie...Katelyn.” Bianca said and Katie widened her eyes, knowing when she was called Katelyn by Bianca she meant business. She frowned a little before putting Lola down, Lola running over to her cat tower.

“I go see Freya instead.” Katie said before running to Heath and Bianca’s room where she was napping.

“Don’t wake her up.” Heath shouted through to his daughter before sitting back down on the couch, exhaling heavily.

Bianca walked over and sat down next to him, rubbing his back. “You okay?” Bianca questioned.

“Hmm,” Heath answered. “Just....all this seems a bit surreal right now,” Heath spoke quietly. “I love that Darcy is back in my life but....I wish the circumstances were different. Tegan was so young. She was....I.....” Heath bowed his head, not able to get his words out. Bianca continued to rub his back, bringing his some comfort as she let him have his moment of grieving over Tegan.

Thank you Red Ranger 1, Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments. :)

One hundred and thirty-seven

Heath sighed as they walked along the beach. They’d been to the graveyard and there was no sign of Darcy. “I knew I should have gone after her,” Heath spat in Bianca’s direction. “I should never have let a grieving child go off on her own.”

“I’m sorry,” Bianca exhaled. “But she won’t have gone far. We will find her.” Bianca really hoped this was the case.

Heath shook his head and continued walking along the beach. “Darcy,” Heath shouted out for his daughter. “Darcy.”

“Everything alright?” Heath turned around as he heard a voice. He groaned as he saw Rose walking over to him.

“I’m just looking for my daughter.” Heath answered.

“Well ask your wife here,” Rose gestured to Bianca who was walking fast to catch up with Heath. “She might have got shot of her. Sounds like something she would do.”

“That’s enough,” Heath yelled at Rose. “Bianca is an amazing mother and she would never harm my children.”

Rose sniggered. “Yet she did try to kill your baby.”

“She was sick,” Heath exhaled, looking at Bianca who was looking down towards the sand. “Now have you seen a young girl? Well a twelve year old. Long blonde hair, bluey green eyes. She was wearing a black dress.”

Rose shook her head before glancing at Bianca. “This one looks guilty though.”

“We’ve just buried her mother,” Bianca spat. “If you’ve seen her then we need to know.”

“Like I say,” Rose shook her head. “I haven’t seen her. But if you need a little comforting....” Rose took a step forward and rubbed Heath’s arm as she licked her lips. “I pretty sure I could help with that.” Rose raised her eyebrows as Heath shrugged away.

“Dammit woman I’m not interested,” Heath pushed Rose back a little. “Get it through your thick head. You were a onetime mistake. A big big mistake,” Heath spat. “Now if you are not going to help me find my daughter then get out of my way so I can keep looking.”

Rose gave a smug kind of smile. “You don’t want to say anything in front of your wife, that’s fine.” Rose exhaled. “I’ll see you soon.” Rose gave his arm a squeeze before turning to face Bianca as Heath marched off down the beach, shouting out for Darcy.

“Give it up, Rose,” Bianca looked her up and down. “He’s not interested.”

Rose gave a smug grin. “Let me tell you something,” Rose looked to Heath before looking back to Bianca. “I always get what I want.” Rose’s grin grew in smugness before she continued her walk along the beach. Bianca took a deep breath before walking quickly to catch up with Heath, pushing all thoughts of Rose from her mind for now to focus on finding Darcy.

Charlie stood in the doorway of their bedroom, watching as Brax got Luca ready for bed. She smiled at the confidence on Brax’s face, Brax now willing to do things for Luca without insisting Charlie watched over him. He buttoned up the poppers on his little sleeping onesie before lifting him from their bed and walking over to the chair, taking a seat as he cradled his son in his arms. He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on his head before he started rocking him to sleep. ’You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey,’ Brax sang to his son. You’ll never know, dear, how much I love you, please don’t take my sunshine away.’ Luca gave some babbles before a big smile appeared on his face.

“Don’t stop singing,” Charlie spoke softly as she walked across the room so she didn’t startle her husband. “He’s enjoying it,” Charlie bent down by the chair, putting one hand on Brax’s arm as her other lightly rubbed her son’s head. Luca looked to his mother and his smile grew larger. “What a lovely smile you’ve got.” Charlie cooed, Luca now full of smiles for his mother.

“He’s supposed to be falling asleep.” Brax said, rocking his son a little more in his arms.

“He will,” Charlie leaned her face against Brax’s upper arm as she looked at her son, his big green eyes looking for his father to his mother and back again. Luca gave a little babble, his hand hitting out against Brax’s chest. “I think he wants you to finish the song first.”

“I don’t remember the rest.” Brax confessed.

“You used to sing that song to the twins and Tobes,” Charlie reminded him. “I’m sure you have it somewhere up in here.” Charlie ran her hand over his head.

“I used to sing a lot when they were babies. The twins especially.” Brax remembered.

“One twin in particular too,” Charlie replied. “You’re little princess huh?” Charlie exhaled.

“She liked Hush Little Baby,” Brax smiled fondly. “She always lit up when I sang her that.” Brax pursed his lips still not used to the fact he’d never see Luca’s little face light up and something he enjoyed.

“Mmm she did,” Charlie agreed her head stayed rested against Brax’s shoulder. ‘Hush little baby, don’t say a word, Papa’s gonna buy you a mockingbird. And if that mockingbird wont sing, Papa’s gonna buy you a diamond ring.’ Charlie smiled at the scene of father and son, Luca looking relaxed in his father’s arms, his eyes beginning to look heavy, like he was going to fall asleep. “I’ll leave you to it,” Charlie whispered, pulling herself to her feet and placing a kiss on Brax’s cheek as she did so. She smiled, hearing Brax continuing to sing the song as she left the room. She found Toby standing in the hallway, scratching the side of his head. “You alright buddy?”

“Noah said when you die you get buried under the ground.” Toby said sounding very concerned at the thought.

“Well he’s right,” Charlie said, looking down at her son. “We have a funeral and lay the person to rest.”

“Forevers?” Toby answered. “What if they want to come out to play?”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she took Toby’s hand and led him into his bedroom. She sat on the bed as Toby climbed up next to her. “Dead people can’t play sweetheart. If you die that’s it, you can’t come out to play.”

Toby furrowed his eyebrows. “So Tegan is under the ground where we walk?” Toby looked a little alarmed at the thought of walking over dead people.

“Well she’s not exactly where we walk,” Charlie answered. “She’s buried in a special place with other people who have passed on.”

“Oh,” Toby scratched the side of his head. “So them bodies stay under the ground?” Toby questioned. “Can’t they be where we can still see them?”

Charlie screwed her face up, not particularly enjoying the conversation she was having with her young son. “You don’t want to see a dead body sweetie.” Charlie ran her hand through his curls.

“If it’s you I do.” Toby nodded as he spoke and if strengthening his comment.

“Mummy’s not going to die for a long long time.” Charlie assured him.

“Darcy’s mummy did,” Toby looked into Charlie’s eyes, Charlie seeing his big blue eyes were all sad looking. “You promise you not?”

Charlie gave a little nod before pulling Toby into a hug. “Hmm now how about we go down the stairs and we can play a game with the twins huh?” Charlie said, not wanting her son to start focussing on death too much.

“Yeah it’ll be fun.” Toby jumped down from his bed and ran out of the room, with Charlie following. She stopped outside of her bedroom, Brax still singing to Luca, bringing a smile to her face once again, before she left to join the kids downstairs.

Thanks for the comments. :)

One hundred and thirty-eight

April and Ruby were snuggled up on the couch. They were watching Katie and Freya while Heath and Bianca were out looking for Darcy. Katie and Freya were both sound asleep and Lola was snuggled up on April’s knee, both of the girls clapping the kitten. “I always wanted a cat when I was little,” Ruby sighed. “The closest thing I got was a stuffed animal cat I called Cat.” April chuckled.

“I remember Cat,” April said. “Actually I remember you always wanted a cat.”

“Yeah and I don’t get a pet but now the kids have a dog,” Ruby sighed. “How unfair is that?”

“Aww baby,” April pouted. “I’ll buy you a cat when we get a place together.”

“I’ll remember that,” Ruby smiled. “And you know, maybe soon we can look for a place. We’ve both been saving our wages from the diner so we’re bound to have a little bit saved up, right?”

“Mmm yeah,” April nodded. “But we do have a special anniversary coming up so...” April raised her eyebrows.

“Oh Miss Scott have you got something planned?” Ruby sounded excited at the thought of a surprise from her girlfriend.

“I couldn’t possibly say.” April answered, a sly little smile appearing on her face as she was still clapping Lola who looked very comfy all snuggled up in a ball on her knee.

Ruby bit her lips as she stared at her girlfriend, excited for their one year anniversary. “Can’t believe it’s nearly been a year already.”

“Technically its 3,” April answered. “We’ve just have a couple of years break in between.”

“Yeah,” Ruby rested her head on Aprils shoulder. “Next week I can file for divorce,” Ruby felt herself smiling, glad she could finally begin the process. “And one day...one day it has to be legal, right?”

Ruby looked up to April, smiling as she looked into her gorgeous brown eyes.

“I’d like to hope so,” April answered. “Then you’ll be Mrs Ruby Scott-Buckton.” April grinned as she spoke.

“Uhm it’ll be Buckton-Scott dear,” Ruby sat up to face her. “Buckton-Scott sounds so much better.”

“Hmmm,” April exhaled, sounding unsure. “We’ll have to see about that.”

“Mmm we will.” Ruby raised her eyebrows before leaning up and placing a soft kiss on April’s lips. They broke apart as they heard the door opening and saw Heath and Bianca walking back into the house.

“Hey,” April said. “You find her?”

“Does it look like we’ve found her?” Heath spat.

“Heath.” Bianca glared at him.

“Don’t tell me not to talk like that,” Heath knew what was going to come out of Bianca’s mouth. “This is all your fault you stupid bitch.” Heath sounded cold before he walked through the room to the kitchen disappearing into the garage. Bianca took a deep breath, Ruby and April sitting with pursed lips, not sure what to say. Heath walked back into the room with a torch in his hand before shaking his head in Bianca’s direction and leaving the house, slamming the door shut behind him. Bianca sighed as she sat down on the arm chair, her head in her hands.

“Have you called the police?” Ruby asked.

“Mmm,” Bianca nodded. “They’re coming around. That’s why we came home. We were told to stay here but....” Bianca shook her head as she looked towards the door.

“Heath is never one to listen.” April said.

“We don’t even have a recent picture of her,” Bianca sighed. “The last one we have she is 8 years old in it. Just before she went to New Zealand.”

“She still looks the same,” Ruby said. “Just a little older. I’m sure police can age people up. You know with that machine thing.” Ruby screwed her face up.

Bianca gave a little nod, knowing what she meant. “Heath is right though. This is my fault. I’m the one that let her go. I.....I just thought....” Bianca felt herself welling up.

“You were just giving her space,” April stood up, placing Lola on the ground who stared up at her looking bewildered as to why she’d been moved from her comfy spot. “She’ll be okay. She’ll come back when she’s cold or hungry. Whatever happens first.” April rubbed her sister’s arm in comfort. Bianca took a deep breath, hoping April was right and that nothing bad had happened to Darcy.

Charlie and Noah had Rolo out for a walk. Noah was holding tightly onto Charlie’s hand, a torch in his other hand bringing some light onto the otherwise pitch black roadside. “What was that noise?” Noah questioned, a little startled.

“There was no noise sweetie.” Charlie said. The kids loved taking the dog out for a walk but at night they usually always felt more scared being out in the darkness.

“There was too,” Noah retorted. “Like a branch snapping,” Noah squeaked. “Maybe it’s a murder.”

“Noah,” Charlie exhaled. “There’s no murderers in Summer Bay.” Charlie told him and Noah sighed, unsure.

“Well I heard something,” Noah told her before hearing another snap. He gasped in fright. “See.”

“Hello?” Charlie said questioningly, Rolo looking around and getting excited.

“Auntie Charlie.” Charlie heard the squeaky teary whisper.

“Darcy?” Charlie screwed her face up as she turned around seeing the small figure walking into the light of Noah’s torch.

“Darcy’s not a murderer,” Noah sounded relieved at seeing his cousin. “Hey Darcy what you doing here?”

“I was walking and I stood on something,” Darcy said, walking close to Charlie and almost leaning against her. “It was soft and it bit me.”

Charlie widened her eyes, feeling alarmed. They lived almost a 10 minute drive from the bay and although it was very rare, sometimes snakes had been spotted in the grasslands at the side of the road on the way to their house. “Oh no.” Noah shrieked. “A snake. A snake.” Noah started jumping around, clearly not wanting a snake to be close by to them.

“We’ll get you inside.” Thankfully they were almost back at the house, so after only few minutes of fast paced walking they were back home. Charlie sat Darcy down on the couch and looked down to her ankle, where a very visible bite mark was.

“I’m going to be sick.” Darcy was rather white in the face.

“Noah buddy go get daddy and get the phone too,” Charlie said, rubbing Darcy’s arm. Noah nodded before running off up the stairs. Charlie led Darcy to the downstairs toilet, just in case she was sick. “What are you doing out here?”

“I want to go to New Zealand. I was going to the airport but it got really dark quickly and I remember being here with Bianca last week and thought you could help me.” Darcy answered quietly and sounded out of breath.

“Oh Darcy sweetheart,” Charlie rubbed her back comfortingly. “Your home is here now with your dad and little sisters and Bianca.”

“No,” Darcy shook her head. “I just want to go home.” Darcy said, before her eyes rolled back and she collapsed into Charlie’s arms.

Thank you Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover and Red Ranger 1 for the comments.

One hundred and thirty-nine

Heath and Bianca were sitting in the hospital room, watching over Darcy as she slept. Heath was stroking her hand, looking down at her. He exhaled lightly before turning to face Bianca. “I’m sorry I called you a bitch.” Heath spoke quietly before looking back to his daughter.

Bianca sniggered lightly as she shook her head. “No you’re not,” Bianca didn’t believe her husband. “You had that look in your eyes.”

“What look?” Heath screwed his face up.

“You know the one,” Bianca pursed her lips. “It’s been there ever since I got home from the centre,” Bianca exhaled. “You try but...” Bianca trailed off. “It’s not the same. It’s....I know you still don’t trust me fully with the kids. We have some good days....great even, but...it’s not what we had.”

“Well we are going through a lot right now,” Heath sighed. “We have Rose, Darcy...I...” Heath exhaled. “I still love you and want us to be together.”

“Sometimes love isn’t enough,” Bianca mumbled. “I’m going to go home to the girls. Let Darcy know I was here for her when she wakes up.” Bianca stood up and very gently squeezed Heath’s shoulder before she left the room, Heath glancing around his shoulder as the door slowly closed. He exhaled before looking back to his eldest child. He knew things with him and Bianca weren’t exactly perfect but figured that every couple went through a rough patch and thinking of Charlie and Brax’s relationship only strengthened his thoughts. He was sure they’d be able to work things out.

“Dad.” Darcy’s eyes fluttered.

“I’m here darling,” Heath squeezed her hand. “You’re alright.”

“It bit me.” Darcy still sounded a little groggy.

“I know but thanks to Auntie Charlie you were found quickly and brought here right away,” Heath gave a smile at his sister-in-laws quick actions. “What were you doing all the way out there anyways?”

“I was going to the airport,” Darcy answered. “I told you I want to go back to New Zealand.”

“And it’s really what you want?” Heath questioned. “You don’t even want to try living back here in Australia with me and Bianca and your sisters?”

Darcy shook her head. “I want to feel closer to mum. All my memories of her are in New Zealand.”

“But she’s buried here,” Heath wiped Darcy’s eyes as tears became visible. “Won’t you feel closer to her here? Knowing it’s not to far to go to her grave. We can take you everyday if you want to?”

“I want to go to New Zealand.” Darcy said again.

Heath exhaled sadly. “And you have somewhere to live in New Zealand?” Heath questioned. “I'm pretty sure it’s not legal for a 12 year old to live on her own.”

“I’ll be 13 in two days time.” Darcy retorted.

Heath stifled a laugh. “Yeah well even 13 year olds can’t live on their own.”

“Well I will live with Daisy. Her parents are so cool and I stayed there every second weekend for our sleepovers anyways and they loved having me,” Darcy told him. “It’ll be fine with them if you just give them some money for me.”

“Yeah?” Heath questioned. Of course he wanted to keep his daughter with him but he didn’t want her to suffer staying in a place she wouldn’t be happy. Not only for her sake but she would be likely to make things difficult for everyone. “Well I’ll make a phone call to Daisy’s parents,” Heath sighed. “But I’m not promising anything.” Heath exhaled sadly wondering if he was doing the right thing.

April was playing in the pool at Charlie’s house with the kids. Charlie and Brax were sitting on the patio with little Luca and Rolo was lying out in the sun. April was waiting on Ruby returning from work and after they had some dinner together they were going into town to meet Dexter and Adrian for a couple of drinks. “April,” Toby screeched before jumping in the pool and swimming over to her. “We will throw the ball.”

“Yeah,” Noah liked this plan. “Ella go get it.” Noah pointed to the ball at the edge of the pool, Ella being the closest to it. She reached for it and threw it across to April as Toby and Noah swam over to the shallow end, Toby standing on the step so he was able to stand in the water.

“We do it fast, okay?” Toby said.

“Okay.” April threw the ball to Noah before he threw it to Ella, the ball being thrown about between the four of them. April got the ball back and threw it in Toby’s direction but it ended up going a little to the left. Toby sighed as he swam after it, before swimming back to the step and throwing the ball out.

“Daddy you come in to play.” Ella shouted over to Brax.

“Yeah dad,” Noah smiled. “Please can you?”

Brax exhaled lightly. “You should go in with them,” Charlie said. “They’ll have fun with you in there. Ducking you under I’d expect.”

Brax gave a little smile. “I’ll go put my swim shorts on.” Brax said and the kids cheered as Brax walked back into the house.

“You too mummy. Bring Luca for a swim.” Toby told her.

“Ah Luca is sleeping,” Charlie said. “Maybe when he wakes up I will bring him in for a little bit.” Charlie looked down where Luca was still sleeping in her arms. Toby banged his hands angrily into the water, resulting in it splashing up and hitting his face. He wiped his hand across it before April once again threw the ball to him, the ball once again going too far left.

“April,” Toby sighed. “Do it straight.”

“Sorry,” April pursed her lips. “I’m not very good at being straight.” April said and Toby screwed his face up in confusion at her reply. April looked behind her as she heard a little chuckle coming from Charlie.

“I need a poop,” Toby got out of the pool and ran towards the house. “Come talk with me mummy.”

“Don’t run into the house wet,” Charlie sighed as Toby went running into the house. She shook her head before standing up and walking through to the toilet, Luca not being affected by the move, still lay sound asleep. “What did I tell you?” Charlie questioned. “Dry yourself a little first sweetie.”

“There’s no time,” Toby replied. “Mummy?” Toby questioned.

“What sweetie?” Charlie wondered.

“Well you know Darcy was bit with a snake?” Toby asked.

“Uh-huh.” Charlie gave a little nod, wondering what her son was about to ask.

“Well will she be a Snakegirl?” Toby questioned seriously.

Charlie bit her lip to stop the laughter. “No, she won’t become a Snakegirl.”

“Well Spideyman was bitted with a spider and now he has powers,” Toby said. “She might be Snakegirl.”

“It’s not going to happen with Darcy.” Charlie couldn’t help but laugh at her son but he just frowned back up at her.

“Oh well,” Toby mumbled. “Can I get a juice before I go back to swim?” Toby asked.

“Sure I’ll go get you one now.” Charlie said leaving the toilet room and still having a little chuckle to herself at Toby thinking Darcy would now have powers after being bit by the snake.

Thanks Red Ranger 1 and Sarah.

One hundred and forty

“Darcy,” Katie cheered as Darcy and Heath walked back into the house. “Darcy I bake you some cakes.” Katie took Darcy’s hand and pulled her across to the dining table, pointing at the cupcakes.

“Cool.” Darcy looked down to them.

“Hey Darcy,” Bianca stepped forward and gave the girl a hug. “How are you feeling?”

“Yeah I’m fine,” Darcy shrugged away. “Will you phone now dad?” Darcy gave him a pleading smile.

Heath sighed before giving a little nod. “Phone who?” Bianca questioned.

“Daisy’s parents,” Darcy told her. “He’s says I can go live with them.” Darcy’s face lit up briefly, before it clouded over sadly as she touched her necklace.

“You what?” Bianca raised her voice, Katie staring up at her all wide eyed and open mouthed. Heath exhaled loudly before walking through to their bedroom, Bianca following him. “Have you completely lost your mind?” Bianca seethed. “You cannot send her back to New Zealand. She is your daughter. She should be here with you.”

“I’m not sending her back to New Zealand,” Heath spat. “Give me some credit, Bianca,” Heath exhaled as he sat down on their bed. “I’m only telling her that so it looks like I’ve tried to give her what she wants,” Heath said. “She’s my daughter and she is my responsibility. Of course she will be staying with me.”

Bianca bit her lip as she sat down next to Heath on the bed. “Sorry.” Bianca spoke quietly, looking down to the floor.

“Yeah so you should be,” Heath retorted. “Do you really think I’d just give up on her like that?”

“Well you didn’t really fight much for her the first time round.” Bianca muttered.

Heath shook his head in annoyance. “Well I am going to make it up to her now. She is my child and I will raise her. She’s already lost her mother. She’s not about to go and live thousands of kilometres away from the only family she has left.”

“Are we still a family?” Bianca mumbled, her head looking down to the ground as she played with her wedding ring.

“I want to be,” Heath exhaled. “I know things aren’t great right now but what couple doesn’t argue? It’s unhealthy not to and things will work out if you really want them too,” Heath said before he stood up and looked down to his wife. “You’re still angry about the whole Rose thing and you need to let that go.” Heath said before he left the bedroom, leaving Bianca sitting on her own.

Leah was cooing down at Luca who was in her arms, giving her a big smile. “Us?” Leah questioned, looking back to Charlie and Brax. “Are you sure? I thought you would have wanted Ruby or Heath and Bianca to be the kids’ guardian.”

“We considered them,” Charlie replied looking over to the kids who were pleading with VJ to play a game with them but the fourteen year old refused to take off his eyes off his laptop, his headphones being pressed harder against his ears. “But Rubes is their big sister. She shouldn’t need to be playing mother to them. And as much as I support their relationship and love April dearly, I do think it’s important for them to have a strong male presence in their life. Especially for the boys.”

“And you picked Miles for that?” Leah laughed. Miles glared at his girlfriend, feeling offended by her remark.

“He’s done pretty well for VJ,” Brax replied. “And he’d be a fun guy to be around for the kids.”

“So I’m not fun?” Leah asked now feeling a little offended herself.

“We see you more like.....” Charlie pursed her lips. “Well kids need discipline too.”

“I can be fun.” Leah sighed.

“We know that,” Brax told her. “But the kids need a balance and you’d give them that,” Brax said. “We know it’s a lot to ask since there a four of them but we do have a nice sum of money so you know, you’d be able to care for them. That wouldn’t be a worry.”

“And you are stopping at four?” Miles questioned. “You’re not going to sprout anymore?”

“Most definitely not,” Charlie answered. “Luca here is the last one.”

“I’m pretty sure you said that after Toby.” Leah rubbed Luca’s back as she continued to hold him.

“She said that after the twins,” Miles said. “So sorry if we don’t believe you.”

“Believe me this time,” Charlie exhaled. “Brax here has had a little operation to ensure no more babies.” Charlie lightly rubbed Brax’s thigh as she spoke.

“Ooh mate.” Miles winced at the thought before looking to the kids who were still bugging VJ, VJ looking most annoyed.

“It’s the least I could do,” Brax answered. “She’s had to carry all the babies so it was my turn to do something.” Brax said.

“And we know who got the better end of that deal.” Charlie mumbled.

“So what ruled out Heath?” Miles questioned. “He not got my fun side either?”

“Meh,” Charlie sighed. “Heath is a great father but, well....” Charlie trailed off. “They already have three kids to raise and that’s probably enough for them.”

“She doesn’t trust Heath to raise her kids correctly.” Brax exhaled.

“I never said that,” Charlie looked at her husband, her hand resting on this thigh. “I just think that 3 kids is already a lot to raise and they’ll get what they need better if Leah and Miles were to take them in,” Charlie said before looking back to Leah and Miles. “I know it’s a lot to ask and we don’t need an answer right away.”

Leah and Miles glanced at each other before looking back to Charlie. “We’ll talk about it and let you know soon.”

“Oh God stop it and leave me alone.” The adults looked up at VJ’s outburst. He picked up his laptop from the table and walked down the hall to his bedroom, slamming the door shut behind him, the kids looking disappointed VJ had left and wouldn’t play with them. Leah raised her eyebrows, not sure VJ would be pleased at the prospect of the kids possibly living with them one day.

Ruby, April, Dexter and Adrian were out in Yabbie Creek for a couple of drinks. “So,” Adrian took a drink of her beer before looking to April and Ruby. “A friend of mine from uni told me she was a lesbian today,” Adrian said. “Then another friend asked her if she was a gold star lesbian,” Adrian exhaled. “She said no then the conversation moved on so, are you gold star lesbians? What even is a gold star lesbian?”

Ruby gave a little laugh. “A gold star lesbian is a woman who has never slept with a man, only other women,” Ruby answered. “So I am most definitely not one but April is.” Ruby put her hand onto April’s thigh and rubbed it gently.

“Am I?” April asked quietly, looking to Ruby, her lips pursed. “Technically people could say that I....”April trailed off, looking down.

“We don’t count that one baby,” Ruby rubbed her cheek, lifting her head up to face her again. She knew it was nearly one year since that night and that April would most probably have a few bad dreams or flashbacks. “You didn’t plan on that happening and wouldn’t have been with a guy otherwise.”

April sighed lightly before taking a drink of her wine. “Not looking forward to going back to uni next week, actually,” April said moving the conversation on. “This year will be tough.”

“You’ll still ace it,” Dexter told her. “You are the brainiest person I know.”

“Hey,” Adrian sounded offended as she slapped his arm. “You should be saying that about your girlfriend.”

“I would if it was true,” Dexter remarked and Adrian gasped. “Honestly April, your super smart and you’ll do great.”

April gave him an appreciative smile. “And look at you huh, all qualified, Nurse Walker.” April said, Dexter smiling at his title.

“Think these two should get a room,” Adrian muttered. “I’m going to the restroom.” Adrian said before standing up and walking away from the table. Dexter watched her leave before looking back to April and Ruby.

“Did I say something I shouldn’t have?” Dexter was a bit confused.

“Uhm...maybe saying your ex-girlfriend is smarter than your current girlfriend?” Ruby said.

“Well April is very smart,” Dexter argued. “And I didn’t mean anything else by it. It’s not like we’ll start an affair. She’s not into penises,” Dexter took a drink of his beer. “Can’t I compliment a friend?”

“Yeah but don’t say she is better than your girlfriend in front of your girlfriend,” Ruby told him. “Girls can get uber jealous.”

“Well she shouldn’t be jealous of a lesbian,” Dexter sighed. “It’s me that should be worried. If she’s going to make a pass at anyone it would be Adrian. She’s thinks she hot.”

“Dex.” April gasped.

“Oh really?” Ruby raised her eyebrows as she looked her girlfriend in the eye.

“I...well....” April stuttered. “I might have said she was hot way back when I first moved back here. Before me and you were even back together. It doesn’t mean anything though. It’s not like I want to try it on with her. You are who I want.” April said, rubbing Ruby’s upper arm.

Ruby continued to stare into her eyes for a moment before giving a little laugh. “Aww sweets,” Ruby leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on April’s lips. “Besides,” Ruby said as she pulled back. “I wouldn’t say no to Adrian. You’re a lucky guy, Dex.” Ruby looked around to her friend.

“I know.” Dexter smiled as he looked around, seeing his girlfriend walking back over to their table.

Archived