Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments. :)

One hundred and fifty-one

Bianca put Freya down for her nap in the moses basket in her bedroom. She smiled as she looked over her daughter, her heart breaking a little at the thought of her never going to have any memories of her parents being together. “Darcy and Katie are in the garden with the kittens,” Heath said walking into the bedroom. Bianca gave a little nod as she turned to face her husband. “Bianca, I won’t...I won’t have anything to do with this baby,” Heath told her. “I just want you and the girls.”

“Rose won’t stay away,” Bianca mumbled. “And a one-night stand, I’ve tried my hardest to forgive and if Rose wasn’t here I think we could have got passed it, but,” Bianca bit her lip. “She’s pregnant and that changes everything.”

“It doesn’t have to change anything,” Heath told his wife. “I don’t....this child with Rose I...” Heath struggled to find the right thing to say. “I won’t be involved if it’s means keeping you and the girls. Keeping our family together.” Although Heath was saying it, it broke his heart a little to say he wouldn’t be involved in his child’s life.

“I’m sorry,” Bianca told him. “We are over.” Bianca felt a tear rolling down her cheek. She was sad that it had come to this for her and Heath but couldn’t see any way for them to sort through things now.

“No,” Heath told her. “I am not going to give up on us. Babe, please. Let’s go away like we planned, we’ll do the counselling, let’s forget Rose, forget that baby.”

“What if you get a son?” Bianca questioned, another tear rolling down her cheek.

“I have a son.” Heath felt himself welling up too.

“No no,” Bianca shook her head. “You had a son. You’re never going to see him grow up. Never hear his first word, see him walk. Never teach him to surf, give him his first beer,” Bianca’s tone was getting higher and squeakier as she talked about things they’d never get to do with their little Rocco. “I’m sorry Heath but I can’t forgive you getting another woman pregnant. We....we have to be over.” Bianca wiped a tear from her cheek.

“No,” Heath and Bianca turned around as they heard Darcy’s voice. “No you can’t split up. Mum left me here because you were a family. My dad and stepmum. She left me here so I finally had a proper family. You can’t split up. You can’t.” Darcy sounded angry as tears formed in her eyes.

“Darcy -” Bianca went to talk but Darcy interrupted.

“No.” Darcy shouted before she turned and ran from the house. Heath and Bianca exchanged a glance before Bianca ran out after her stepdaughter.

The kids were playing in the pool again. Brax was sitting on the sun lounger, Luca lying over his chest. Brax was rubbing his back, smiling down at him. “Daddy.....daddy,” Toby shouted from the pool’s edge. “Daddy.” Toby shrieked.

“What bud?” Brax looked up to his son.

“Come and swim.” Toby demanded, banging his foot on the ground.

“Yeah we are having races.” Ella told him from inside the pool.

“Nah I’m chilling with Luca.” Brax said and Charlie shook her head.

“You’ve been with him all the time since you can see.” Noah frowned from the pool’s edge.

“Brax,” Charlie exhaled. “Your 3 older children would like you to go in the pool with them,” Charlie stood up from her lounger and knelt down by the side of Brax’s. “Don’t forget you’ve got them as well.”

“C’mon, I’m not forgetting I’ve got them,” Brax whispered looking up to his wife. “It’s just.....I can finally see my baby.”

“Yeah and that’s great but I’m pretty sure you’re baby will still be here when you get out of the pool,” Charlie rubbed his arm. “Besides he is due a feed and you daddy darling don’t have the equipment to feed him.”

“No I don’t suppose I do,” Brax looked down before looking back to his wife. “And your right, I have sort of spent a lot of time with him.”

“Hmm,” Charlie nodded. “You have 3 other gorgeous kiddies who love playing with you too.” Charlie said, taking Luca from his chest.

“I sure do,” Brax smiled, looking out to the kids playing in pool. He felt his heart jump as he saw their little happy faces, Brax still overjoyed that his sight came back. And although it was less than perfect and he would need to get glasses, he’d rather have this sort of sight than no sight at all. “Got a wife who likes playing with me too.” Brax raised his eyebrows as he stood up from the sun lounger, giving Charlie a cheeky grin.

Charlie playfully slapped his bare chest. “Go swim with the kids.” Charlie told him and Brax gave her a smile before going over to the pool, the kids cheering as they saw that daddy was coming in to play.

Say something I’m giving up on you
I’ll be the one if you want me to
Anywhere I would have followed you
Say something I’m giving up on you

April read the words from Ruby’s song book. She felt her eyes stinging with tears, knowing this song was written about her. “What are you doing here?” April jumped, dropping the book down on the bed as Ruby walked back into her bedroom from the bathroom.

“Your mum let me in,” April told her. Ruby pursed her lips, shaking her head a little, part of her wishing Charlie didn’t let April into the house, Ruby not knowing how it would go the next time they talked. “You really feel like giving up on me?”

“I don’t want too,” Ruby answered, not making eye contact with her. “But if you don’t trust me then we can’t be together, April. You need trust in a relationship.”

“I know,” April exhaled sadly. “And I do trust you. I do, I swear,” April could already feel the tears falling out of her eyes. “I’m remembering the rape and the baby would be here now and I’m just not dealing with it very well. I don’t mean to push you away or blame you for the abortion because I know you said you’d support whatever I did but I....I don’t want you to have to deal with my mess.”

“We are a couple,” Ruby told her. “I’m supposed to be there to help you through the tough times. People are going to have problems and I....well it’s always nice to have someone there for you.”

“I know and I’m so sorry,” April sniffed back. “Can we please just.....can we just move passed all this? I don’t want us to be over.” April took a few steps forward and took Ruby’s hand in hers, rubbing it with her thumb. Ruby exhaled, looking down to their hands. She moved her hands slightly, entwining it with April’s.

“Neither do I,” Ruby spoke quietly and April felt a little smile form on her face. “But....” Ruby looked back up to her girlfriend.

“No buts,” April sounded worried. “We don’t need a but.”

“But,” Ruby said again. “I have to know that you trust me because I love you so much and I’m not going anywhere, ever.” Ruby told her and April gave her a smile. “But we won’t ever work if you don’t trust me.”

“I would trust you with my life,” April told her. “I know you would never do anything to hurt me, ever,” April said. Ruby gave a little smile as she rubbed April’s cheek with her thumb. She looked into her deep brown eyes and her smile grew larger, seeing April was speaking the truth. She leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on April’s lips, April smiling into the kiss as it deepened a little. “I love you so much.” April mumbled as she pulled back and rested her forehead against Ruby’s.

“I love you too.” Ruby answered, before once again placing a kiss on her lips.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One hundred and fifty-two

Bianca caught up with Darcy close to the graveyard. They were sitting on the bench, close to the row where Tegan was buried. “You are a fast runner,” Bianca was still trying to get her breath back. “You should do track at school.”

Darcy just shrugged as she looked downwards, pulling at her yellow and orange thread friendship bracelet, something she’d gotten from Daisy when she was still in New Zealand. “Why are you and dad so angry with each other?” Darcy questioned. “Is it because I’m here?”

“No, no, of course not,” Bianca rubbed her back. “We love having you around, Darce. It’s....” Bianca pursed her lips. “Your dad got another woman pregnant and I can’t forgive that.”

“Oh,” Darcy looked shocked. “Why is he sleeping with another woman?”

Bianca exhaled loudly, before clicking her tongue. “Since Freya arrived, I.....I got Postnatal Depression. You know what that is, right?” Darcy nodded in reply. “It was my fault that Brax ended up blind.”

“But he’s not blind now,” Darcy said. “So why do you still need to argue?”

“I did some things I am not proud to admit.” Bianca mumbled.

“But if you had that Postnatal Depression thingy it wouldn’t be you really would it?” Darcy questioned, looking up to her stepmother.

“Sort of, no, but,” Bianca paused for a moment. “It still made things difficult with me and your dad and that’s when he....when he got this woman pregnant.”

“But we were supposed to be a family,” Darcy sniffed back tears. “I like being with you and Katie and Freya. What will happen to us all if you and dad split up? I don’t want to stop seeing you all.”

“Darcy I am always going to be here for you,” Bianca told her. “And you’ll still get to see your sisters all the time,” Bianca rubbed her back as she spoke. “It’s just....me and your dad, we....we can’t fix this anymore.”

“Can’t you try harder?” Darcy said as Bianca wiped a tear from her cheek. “Please for me.” Bianca felt her heart breaking. The poor girl had just buried her mother and now the place she was getting used to calling home was now falling apart.

“It’s only going to end up being worse for you,” Bianca told her, sniffing back tears of her own. “There’d be too much shouting, Darce it wouldn’t be nice for anyone.”

“But you’ve just had a baby together,” Darcy argued. “How is it right to split up?”

“Because you’re dad was unfaithful,” Bianca answered. “And I tried to forgive him. I really did and it was going okay, we still had issues but we were working them out but he got her pregnant and it doesn’t matter how old Freya was or even if I was still pregnant with her, I can’t forgive him, Darcy. I’m sorry but I can’t.” Darcy bowed her head sadly. Bianca pulled her a little closer, wrapping her arm around her. She placed a soft kiss on her head as she rubbed her arm.

“Are you going to chuck him out of the house?” Darcy questioned.

“Mmmm,” Bianca pursed her lips. “I’m not going to leave him with no place to stay but, eventually yeah, I’ll want him to move out.” As Darcy heard the words from Bianca, she couldn’t hear it in her voice. She knew deep down that Bianca didn’t want Heath to leave.

“What about me?” Darcy mumbled.

“I’d expect your dad will want you with him,” Bianca told him. “But any time you want, you can come hang with me and sleepover.”

Darcy gave Bianca a weak smile before looking out to the graves. “I’m going to see mum.” Darcy said standing up and walking the short distance to Tegan’s grave, Bianca giving the girl some time and space, knowing she wanted to try to take all this in.

Charlie flushed the toilet, confident she was done with being sick. She walked over to the sink and turned on the tap, cupping her hands underneath to take a drink. “You okay?” Charlie looked around to see Brax standing in the doorway.

“I’ll be fine,” Charlie told him, rubbing her hand over her stomach, feeling a dull pain. “How was the walk?”

“Yeah good,” Brax answered. “Kids had races. Rolo join in. Ran in front of Toby and sent him flying,” Brax gave a little laugh. “They had a blast though. I love that I can see that again.”

Charlie smiled as she walked closer to her husband. “Me too. Remember we have the opticians tomorrow.” Charlie said.

Brax sighed lightly. “Stupid glasses.”

“You won’t be saying that when they help you see better,” Charlie told him. “But you could always opt for contacts.”

“Oh no,” Brax shook his head. “I can’t do that. My finger so close to my eyes...touching it....it.....no,” Brax mumbled. “I’ll take glasses,” Charlie smiled as she ran her hand through the sides of his hair. Brax wrapped his arms around her waist as they shared a soft kiss. He smiled, resting his forehead against hers. He brought his hands up slightly, gently caressing her stomach from under her singlet. “This helping?” Brax questioned, knowing she’d had some pains after dinner.

“A bit.” Charlie answered.

“Why don’t you head to bed now?” Brax questioned. “Try to get some rest.”

“Because I have to give Luca his night feed soon.” Charlie answered, Brax continuing to rub her stomach.

“I’ll do it.” Brax told her.

Charlie shook her head. “You can’t,” Charlie told him. “I don’t have any expressed milk.”

“Ah,” Brax pursed his lips. “Might be a problem then.”

“Yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “It’s not that bad now anyways. I’ll chill for a bit, feed Luca and then take your suggestion of an early night.” Charlie said, cuddling herself a little closer to her husband.

“Good.” Brax smiled before placing another kiss on her lips.

“Mummy, daddy, mummy, daddy,” Toby came running into the room. “Oh,” Toby gasped as he saw them kissing. “Is you making me another baby brother?”

“No.” Charlie laughed as she pulled back from her husband, Brax removing is hand from her stomach.

“Eh and what do you think you are wearing?” Brax questioned, glancing down at his son who was in his Spiderman outfit. “I thought I sent you to get your pyjamas on.”

Toby scratched the side of his head. “Well I wanted to be Spideyman.”

“It’ll be too hot to sleep in that buddy.” Charlie looked down to her son.

“No, I not sleeping,” Toby told her. “We will watch....uhm.....Wreck It Ralph with daddy cos he got no broken eyes.” Toby grinned up at Brax.

“Wreck It Ralph,” Noah came running into the room. “Yes, oh yes. Please daddy say yes.”

“It’s almost bed time.” Brax told them.

“Just one night we can stay up late.” Noah clasped his hands together like he was praying.

“You’ve been up later a lot these holidays buddy.” Charlie said.

“Yeah but only 2 more nights till school,” Noah exhaled. “We go to bed early then. We will I promise, eh Toby?”

Toby glared at his brother, not wanting to agree that he would go to bed early even on a school night. He gave a little shrug before looking back to Charlie. “Please mummy, we all watch it togethers. And Ruby and April.” Toby pointed out of the bathroom.

“No we will leave Ruby and April to talk,” Charlie said. “But go on then, we’ll all watch Wreck It Ralph together.” Charlie said and the boys cheered before running out to tell Ella about their movie night.

One hundred and fifty-three

Brax walked out of the room, having had his eyes tested for glasses. He looked to the chairs where Ella and Noah were sitting, one hand each on the pram, where Luca was. “Where’s mummy and Toby?”

“Toilet.” Noah answered.

“Yeah she took Toby cos she didn’t trust him to sit nice here.” Ella added.

“Well she probably did the right thing there,” Brax mumbled. “Right you two want to come and help me pick some frames?”

“Theses ones,” Ella immediately pointed to a pair, of course having been in the reception area during Brax’s eye test, she’d already been looking at all the frames. “They are so pretty.”

Brax laughed as he looked to the pink glasses with little yellow butterflies on the legs. “They’re for little girls,” Brax told his daughter. “This section here is for daddy’s.”

Ella frowned before standing up and running over with Noah following. “These ones are cool. They’re blue.” Noah took the glasses from the shelf.

“Blue?” Brax sounded unsure. “Hmmm maybe something plain and simple. Black ones.”

“You are picking yourself.” Ella folded her arms across her chest as she scowled at her father.

“Well daddy needs to wear them,” They looked around as Charlie and Toby came back across. “So it’s his choice.” The kids sighed as they kept looking at the glasses, still suggesting more crazy frames than simple plain black. Brax picked up a pair and put them on before looking in the mirror.

“I look like a dork.” Brax sighed.

The kids looked up to him a giggle. “He looks funny.” Toby laughed louder at the strange sight of his father in glasses.

Brax exhaled sadly. “You don’t look like a dork,” Charlie told him. “I think you look nice. They suit you.”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “They don’t.”

“Well I disagree,” Charlie exhaled. “And they are going to help you see better, right?” Charlie stepped forward and rubbed his chest.

“Yeah,” Brax sighed, looking back up at himself in the mirror again. “These will take some getting used to though,” Brax mumbled and Charlie gave a little grin as she looked at him with the glasses on. “I’ll just take these ones.” Brax took them off and walked over to the counter, handing the lady the frames and the paper with his prescription on from the optician.

“They’ll take about a week. So you could come and collect them next Saturday?” The lady said.

“Oh no,” Toby shook his head. “That’s no good.”

“What’s wrong bud?” Charlie ran her hand through his curly locks.

“That’s Katie’s party.” Toby told her, concerned he’d now miss her 5th birthday party.

“We can come and get them in the morning,” Brax told him. “Katie’s birthday party isn’t until the afternoon anyways.”

“Phew,” Toby exhaled. “We go get her presents now?” Toby asked, knowing after Brax’s eye appointment they would be looking for something for Katie’s birthday.

“Yeah we are going now,” Charlie said, ushering the kids out of the shop, Brax pushing the pram. “I’m just going to nip to the toilet quickly.”

“You’ve just been.” Brax replied. “In fact you’ve been about 6 times already this morning.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t realise there was a limit on how many times I could use the toilet.” Charlie retorted.

“Of course there’s not,” Brax replied. “Just making an observation.”

“Well observation not needed.” Charlie said walking back over to the toilet in the mall as Brax waited with the kids for her to return so they could go buy something for Katie’s birthday.

Heath walked into the nursery, where Bianca was packing away some of Freya’s clothes. “What are you doing?” Heath questioned, his heart starting to race, thinking she was leaving him.

“Packing away Freya’s 0 to 3 month clothes,” Bianca replied, not stopping what she was doing or making eye contact with him. “She’s starting to wear 3 to 6 months so there’s no need for these.”

“Oh,” Heath rubbed the back of his head, not quiet believing his little baby was already out growing her clothes, but of course she was 14 weeks old now, so was to be expected. “Are you going to keep them in the garage?”

“Why?” Bianca questioned. “So your love child can wear them?”

“No,” Heath answered. “I just meant for if......if we ever....you know.” Heath cleared his throat.

Bianca sniggered. “You can’t possibly think we are going to have any more children?” Bianca questioned. “We are done, Heath,” Bianca sighed. “And even if we weren’t we aren’t even having sex anymore so I think another baby is out of the question,” Bianca sighed. “Not to mention the fact I am done with having kids.”

“Why?” Heath asked.

“Because Heath,” Bianca glared up at him. “Postnatal psychosis after baby number 1, postnatal depression after baby number 2. I’m not having another child, and even without that happening I wouldn’t want too. I have my family. I am done.”

“Right,” Heath gave a little nod. “I uhm....Irene said she’d come and watch the girls.”

“Why the hell would she need to do that?” Bianca continued packing away the baby clothes.

“I thought we could go out for lunch. I thought we could talk.” Heath sounded nervous as he rolled his wedding ring around his finger.

“We have nothing to talk about.” Bianca told him.

“I think we do.” Heath exhaled, picking up a little pink baby grow and rubbing his thumbs over the top.

“Well we’re done, Heath,” Bianca spoke dryly. “I’m not forgiving you for getting her pregnant. You should start looking for a new place to live.” Bianca told him, grabbing the baby grow from his hands and folding it up before putting it in the box with all the other clothes that she would take to the second-hand shop in Yabbie Creek. She stood to her feet, picking the box up and leaving the nursery, Heath watching her in sadness as she left.

Ruby put the picnic blanket down before she and April sat down. They were sitting at the cliff top, overlooking the bay. It was one of their favourite places and that’s why they chose it as the destination for their picnic. April opened the picnic basket and took out the champagne and the champagne flutes. “Oh....someone is going to be in a mess.” Ruby teased.

“One very small glass.” April said. “It’s only a little bottle.”

“So I see,” Ruby said as April popped it open, pouring the fizzing liquid into the glasses. She took a glass from her girlfriend and the clinked glasses before taking a drink. She smiled as April looked deep into her eyes. “What?” Ruby sucked in her bottom lip.

“I just love you so much,” April exhaled softly. “I’m sorry I’ve been such an idiot.”

“It’s okay,” Ruby rubbed her cheek. “We are passed that now and looking to our future.”

“Yeah,” April smiled before placing a soft kiss on her lips. “So you have not next weekend but the next off work, right?”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “What’s....there’s nothing then right?” Ruby teased her girlfriend, of course knowing full well it was their anniversary.

“Rubes,” April hit her arm. “Our one year of being back together.”

“I know,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “And yes I have it off,” Ruby told her. “So, what you got me?”

“You’ll have to wait and see.” April gave a cheeky grin.

Ruby pouted. “You know I can’t. I hate surprises.”

“Well I’m not telling,” April replied. “You can give me a hint of what you’ve got me though.” April said, the cheeky grin still on her face.

“No way,” Ruby replied. “You have to wait too. Besides, I haven’t actually got you anything yet.” Ruby said, biting her lip.

“What?” April gasped.

“Well I know what I am getting and I was all set to go shopping but then.....” Ruby paused. “Well we had those fights and.....I’ll get it in time, I promise.” Ruby said and April gave her a little smile.

“I’m excited for it,” April said and Ruby smiled before placing another kiss on her girlfriend’s lips, this one getting a little more passionate. They both let the champagne flutes fall from their grips as they wrapped their arms around each other, the kiss continuing to grow in passion.

Thank you Sarah and Red Ranger 1 for the comments. :)

One hundred and fifty-four

Brax lay down next to Charlie in their bed. “I’m sorry.” Charlie apologised again, her hand resting on her stomach.

“Stop apologising,” Brax told her. “It’s fine. If it’s hurting you I am not going to continue.”

“I don’t get it,” Charlie exhaled. “Luca is 9 weeks. It’s not like he’s just been born for it to still be sore,” Charlie said. “And it hasn’t been any other time we’ve done it.”

“Well you had pains yesterday, right?” Brax turned onto his side and rubbed her stomach. “Maybe it’s still that.”

“I don’t know. I haven’t had any pains today until now,” Charlie sighed. “And it’s not really sore anymore. Just when we were....” Charlie trailed off snuggling a little closer to her husband. “I’m sorry.”

“Stop with the apologising,” Brax exhaled, moving his arm so it was around her and rubbing her arm. “You been feeling sick again?”

“I did for a little bit after dinner to be honest, but it went away pretty quick.” Charlie answered truthfully.

Brax looked a little unsure. “You are probably just taking a bug,” Brax told her. “Stomach pains, sickness. It’ll pass in a few days.” Brax was sure of it.

“I hope so,” Charlie sighed. “Kids are back at school, you are back to work. Just me and little Luca Bean. I don’t need to be ill watching him.”

“No,” Brax answered. “Probably as good thing the kids are at school though if you are coming down with something. One baby will be easier to look after unwell than 3 lively ones and a baby.”

“Yeah,” Charlie agreed as she yawned. “Might give Bianca a call tomorrow,” Charlie told her husband. “Her and Heath aren’t doing so well. I think she’s probably going to call it quits to be honest.”

“Well he did get someone else pregnant,” Brax could see Bianca’s case. “But they’ve been through so much and they have the girls, it would be a shame if they were over.”

“I know but I wouldn’t blame her. I’d be the same. You’d be out of here in a shot if you got someone else pregnant.” Charlie said.

“Is that my warning?” Brax gave a little laugh. “Besides, I’ve been worked on down there, remember?” Brax said. “I’m not getting anyone pregnant anytime soon.”

“Good,” Charlie looked up at him with a smile before yawning again. “Right, it’s time to sleep. Goodnight, love you.”

“Love you too.” Brax placed a soft kiss on her lips before they lay down to sleep, Charlie resting her head against his chest, Brax still loving the feeling of being able to see his wife snuggling up against him to sleep.

Heath walked back into the house following his morning surf. “Where are the girls?” Heath asked, seeing Bianca was alone.

“April has them out.” Bianca answered as she was throwing a load of laundry into the machine.

“Good,” Heath walked closer to her. “Gives us a chance to talk.” Heath put his hand on her shoulder.

“Don’t touch me.” Bianca shrugged him away as she closed the washing machine door and pushed a few buttons before the machine started filling up with water. She stood up and walked away from Heath, but Heath followed after her, following her into their bedroom.

“Bianca,” Heath exhaled. “Please can we not just be adults and talk about this?”

“What’s there to talk about?” Bianca questioned. “You got someone else pregnant. You can’t expect me to be okay with that and just continue on with you,” Bianca sniffed back, knowing tears were coming. “I love you. I really do but I can’t......we have to be over.”

“We don’t,” Heath sighed. “I won’t have anything to do with this baby.”

“And you think Rose is going to just drop you, just like that?” Bianca questioned. “She’s obsessed. She’s never leaving you and this baby is just making that all the more possible. You broke our marriage vows when you slept with her and it’s just too hard to deal with her being pregnant. We are over. I’m done,” Bianca held her hands out. “I want out of this marriage and I’m asking you please stand up and take responsibility for the part you played in ruining what we had and just.....just move out and let me get on with my life.”

Heath sniggered. “You want us to separate then you move out. I’m sure Irene would have you.”

“There’s not enough room at Irene’s.” Bianca retorted.

“She has a spare room for you, surely,” Heath replied. “You are just one person.”

“What about April and the girls?” Bianca replied. “We are not taking over her home.”

“April can stay here as long as she wants,” Heath answered. “And what the hell makes you think you get the girls?” Heath folded his arms across his chest as he spoke.

“Because I’m their mother.” Bianca spat, hitting her hand against her chest.

“Yeah and I am their father,” Heath seethed. “You want us to be over, fine, you walk out that door but the girls are staying put.” Heath knew Bianca would never leave the girls and thought this was there was a chance of them being under the same roof, able to eventually work it out this way.

“Please don’t make this awkward. I’ll never stop you seeing them.” Bianca told him.

“Likewise,” Heath said. “You are welcome here to see them any time you want.”

“You want me to walk out that door I will,” Bianca said, pointing out of the room. “But there’s nothing you can do to stop me taking those girls with me.”

“I can stop you taking Katie,” Heath sounded smug. “She is not your daughter.” Bianca felt like she was being punched in stomach at Heath’s cruel words. She’d raised her since she was a year old and had been nothing but a loving mother to her.

“I adopted her,” Bianca reminded him. “She is my daughter just as much as she is yours.”

“Yeah?” Heath questioned. “Funny how it’s only my DNA that she shares.”

Bianca gasped. “I can’t believe you’d sink that low,” Bianca shook her head, feeling the tear rolling down her cheek. Heath looked round as the doorbell rang. “Leave it.” Bianca seethed, the bell going again. Heath exhaled as he walked away from the bedroom, Bianca following behind him.

“Hey babe,” Rose grinned up at him, looking smugly into the room as Bianca glared at her from behind, Rose knowing she had interrupted a very tense moment. “Thought we could talk some more about the baby.” Rose grinned, looking behind Heath towards Bianca. Bianca glared at Heath and seeing he wasn’t quick to say no she shook her head in disgust at him before turning around and walking out of the back door, slamming the door loudly in anger, walking away from the house.

One hundred and fifty-five

Bianca took the offer of a tissue from Charlie. She blew her nose before taking another couple, scrunching them up in her hand and wiping across them her eyes. “What do I do?” Bianca questioned. “I don’t want to stay in that house with him but I don’t want to leave Katie behind.”

Charlie pursed her lips. “Maybe,” Charlie paused, not sure how her friend would take what she was about to say. “You and Freya go to Irene’s. You need out of that house by the sounds of it. You are going to end up killing each other at this rate.”

“I’m not just going to leave my daughter behind.” Bianca sniffed back.

“I know, but.....someone has to give in for now,” Charlie said. “You can go to the courts right away to sort out custody and visitation and things like that,” Charlie sympathised with her friend. She hated being apart from her kids when they stayed with Brax during their break up but of course she knew they needed to spent time with their father. “And Brax has gone to talk to Heath so maybe he’ll talk some sense into him.”

“I wish I could forgive this but I just....” Bianca trailed off. “Why couldn’t he have just used some bloody protection?” Bianca questioned sounding frustrated.

“Because Bianca, and I’m pretty sure I’ve said this to you once or twice before, Heath is an idiot.” Charlie said and Bianca managed a little laugh. She exhaled, rolling her engagement ring and wedding ring around her finger.

“I uhm....I don’t know how we are going to tell Katie,” Bianca squeaked. “She’ll be devastated.”

“What about Darcy?” Charlie questioned. “It’s bound to be hard for her right now.” Charlie thought, given she was left there to have a family and now that family was splitting up.

“She knows already,” Bianca wiped another tear from her eye. “She was upset at us arguing yesterday and I told her that I wanted us to be over,” Bianca spoke quietly, looking away from her friend. Charlie knew the lack of eye contact during her statement meant it wasn’t truly her feelings. “But I’ve told her I’ll always be there for her if she needs me.”

Charlie gave a little smile. “That’s good. She does need you,” Charlie rubbed Bianca’s arm. “But,” She pursed her lips. “You sure that’s it for you and Heath?”

Bianca gave a little nod. “Would you forgive Brax for getting someone else pregnant?”

“It’s not about what I would do,” Charlie told her. “It’s just....I feel you might not really want this.”

“Of course I don’t want this,” Bianca replied. “I don’t want my marriage to be over. I don’t want to break up my girls’ family but he broken our vows and got psycho girl knocked up. It’s just the way it has to be.” Charlie exhaled lightly, not going to give up hope for Bianca and Heath just yet, but knew Bianca was hurt and needed some time and space away from Heath and maybe it would actually be the best thing for them right now.

Brax and Heath were sitting on the couch in his place. Heath looked like he’d been crying, but Brax thought it best not to say anything about that. “Got yourself into a bit of a mess, huh?” Brax questioned. “Charlie is right, you really are an idiot.”

Heath sighed as he shook his head. “She wants us to run away together,” Brax gave a little laugh. “It’s not funny. She thinks we’ll get married because she is having my child.”

“You’re already married.” Brax pointed out.

“You think something like that will stop Rose?” Heath questioned. “She’s gonna make my life hell, bro.”

“Well you should have used some bloody protection,” Brax retorted. “Jeez you are going to have 5 kids and not one of them was planned.”

Heath gave a little shrug. “You have a couple of unplanned ones too.”

“Luca was unplanned. Toby was just an earlier than expected baby. I always wanted more after the twins and we are not talking about me right now.” Brax said.

Heath exhaled as he ran his hand across his forehead. “What do I do?” Heath asked. “How do I keep her?”

“Let her go,” Brax told him and Heath looked a little shocked that Brax expected him to just give up on his marriage. “It’s the best thing you can do right now, trust me.” Brax said.

“How is it best?” Heath scrunched his face up. “We won’t be together.”

“She needs space right now,” Brax said. “You do things the way she wants it’s only going to look better on you and maybe in the future....well you never know what will happen.” Brax didn’t want to encourage the idea of the thought of them working things out but believed it could be a possibility.

Heath took a deep breath. “Where am I supposed to live?” Heath questioned.

“Get a room in a motel. Get a caravan,” Brax gave a little shrug. “I’d offer but we don’t really have the spare room eh.” Brax said and Heath sighed before giving a little nod.

“Don’t think Charlie would allow it anyways,” Heath said. “Cos of the loyalty to Bianca thing.”

“She wouldn’t say no,” Brax told him. “You are my brother after all.”

Heath exhaled, rolling his wedding ring around his finger. “You promise me if I do what she wants right now in the future we’ll get back together?”

“I can’t promise that,” Brax said. “I just think.....it’s pretty clear she loves you and that right now she is really hurt. I don’t know what’s going to happen but I just think with you and Bianca, well anything could happen. There’s always going to be that chance.” Brax was trying to say it the right way as to not fill Heath’s head’s with unrealistic dreams.

“Do things Bianca’s way.” Heath said before taking a deep breath, not liking Bianca’s way one bit, but knowing right now, he didn’t really have any other choice.

“So why do I need to come with you?” Dex questioned, walking through the mall with Ruby.

“Because you are her best friend,” Ruby replied. “That means you should know what she likes.”

“I know she likes swimming and chilling out in front of the TV. I know she likes chocolate brownies and well chocolate in general and has a thing for Mila Kunis,” Dex said. “I don’t know what kind of jewellery she likes. I’m her guy friend, not her gay friend.”

“Hey,” Ruby slapped his arm. “Just because a guy is gay doesn’t mean he’ll know what jewellery to get a woman,” Ruby said. “And how are you going to cope when you need to buy Adrian that little diamond ring?”

“Well that’s where April’s help would come in handy.” Dex answered.

Ruby gave a little laugh. “Anyways I’m not sending you on your own to pick something. I’m here and I know what I want. I just want some advice from you, that’s all.”

“Advice you shall get,” Dex told her as they walked into the jewellers. He walked over to a glass cabinet and looked down to it, looking at a tiara. “Oh what about this? It’s sparkly. April likes sparkly things.”

“You know I am not here for a tiara.” Ruby dragged Dex by the arm over to the other end of the room.

“Oh this is exciting though,” Dex said as he looked down to the rings. “Two of my closest friends getting married.”

“We’re not getting married,” Ruby exhaled. “Unfortunately it’s not legal for us right now. It’s more of a commitment thing.”

“Well this looks nice for a commitment thing,” Dex said, pointing down to a white gold ring with 2 small circular diamonds at the side with a slightly larger one in the middle. “Really nice, in fact.”

“Oh Dex,” Ruby stifled a laugh. “I work part time at the diner.”

“Noted,” Dex gave a little nod. “Could always buy a bag of haribo and give her a ring out of there,” Dex joked Ruby just slapped his arm, wanting him to be serious. “What? It’s the thought that counts.”

“I know,” Ruby replied. “But she is worth way more than a haribo ring.” Dex smiled as he looked into Ruby’s eyes, seeing the love she had for April spilling out.

“You think she’ll ask me to be her maid of honour?” Dex questioned and Ruby laughed.

“Uhm....probably,” Ruby answered. “But she hasn’t even said yes to committing herself to me yet so, one thing at a time, yeah?” Ruby said.

“Of course she’ll say yes,” Dex assured her. “She is crazy about you.”

“We’ll see.” Ruby took a deep breath before looking back at the rings, trying to find the perfect one to give to her girlfriend.

One hundred and fifty-six

Bianca walked back into the house. She found Heath in their bedroom, packing away some clothes. “What are you doing?”

“You want me to leave.” Heath answered, taking another shirt from the wardrobe and putting it in the case.

“I don’t want this, Heath,” Bianca sighed. “It just....it has to be this way.” Bianca pursed her lips, feeling more tears were about to spring from her eyes.

“Yeah well whatever you want eh,” Heath mumbled as he closed the suitcase. “Is it alright if I leave the rest of my stuff here for now? There’s no way I can take it all right at this moment,” Bianca gave a little nod as she folded her arms across her chest, hugging herself. “I’ve called April. She’s bringing the girls home so we can talk to them.” Heath said.

“What ehm....what’s....” Bianca wanted to ask him what was happening with the girls but she couldn’t get the words out.

“This is their home,” Heath told her, knowing she was trying to ask about what was happening with the girls. “But I get to come around anytime I want to see them though. You are not dictating that to me.”

Bianca pursed her lips as she gave a little nod. “And uhm....Darcy?”

“She needs stability. This is her home. She’s starting at a new school tomorrow, she’s still dealing with losing Tegan. She’s staying put here. The last thing she needs is to be living out of a suitcase in some tiny caravan,” Heath told his wife. “You’ll still look after her, right? Still be there for her?”

“Of course,” Bianca murmured before a silence hit the pair. She watched as Heath packed away a few more things before zipping the case shut. “You know,” Bianca spoke after a period of silence. “I’m sorry it’s come to this.”

“No you’re not,” Heath retorted. “Otherwise you wouldn’t let it get to this stage.” Heath pulled the suitcase from the bed, letting it bang to the floor.

“Because all this is my fault isn’t it?” Bianca quipped. “You had nothing to do with Rose getting pregnant at all.”

Heath sighed and opened his mouth to reply, but before he could talk April’s voice could be heard in the house. “Hey, sorry we needed to come home, Freya spit up and she needs changed.”

Bianca wiped her hands across her face as Darcy appeared in the doorway of the room. She saw Heath’s suitcase and her face immediately saddened. April then appeared behind her with Freya in her arms. “Darce can you help April with Freya?” Bianca questioned and Darcy gave a little nod, walking out of the room to the nursery as April followed. Bianca took a deep breath before looking to Heath. He gave a little nod as he followed her out to the living room. “Hey pumpkin.” Bianca put on her best smile for Katie.

“You crying mummy,” Katie looked up to her mother, Lola being held in her arms as Flynn stood at her feet, meowing up at her. “Why you crying?”

“Mummy and I need to talk to you,” Heath bent down, ruffling her hair. “Why don’t you put Lola down? You know she doesn’t like being picked up all the time.” Heath took the cat from his daughter, putting her on the floor. Lola and Flynn starting to claw playfully at each other.

“Have I been bad?” Katie questioned as Heath walked her over to the couch. Bianca followed and sat down on the arm chair as Heath sat Katie down on the couch before taking a seat next to her.

“Not at all sweetie.” Bianca leaned forward, her hands going on Katie’s little knee.

“Am I getting a new baby sister?” Katie wondered, staring from Heath to Bianca.

“No,” Bianca answered. “At least not from....” Bianca stopped talking and bit her lip. She took a deep breath as she looked into Katie’s big brown eyes. “Mummy and daddy have decided we don’t want to live together anymore.”

“Why?” Katie screwed her face up. “We is a family. We supposed to.”

“I know,” Bianca exhaled. “But sometimes mummy’s and daddy’s decide not to be together anymore and that’s what’s going to happen with me and daddy.”

“No,” Katie’s bottom lip started to tremble. “No no no.” Katie shook her head.

Heath rubbed her back gently, trying to comfort her. “You’ll still get to see me all the time, I promise and nothing much is going to change. Just that daddy won’t be at home for now.”

“No,” Katie started to cry. “No no no.” Katie spoke through the tears.

“Pumpkin,” Bianca got off the chair and knelt down in front of her daughter. “It’ll be okay. We both still love you very very much and you are always going to get to see me and daddy.” Bianca rubbed her arm in comfort.

“No.” Katie squealed. “Daddy stay here,” Katie looked up to Heath. He looked to his daughter, her face all tear stained and his heart broke. “Please daddy. I’ll be so good all the time and I won’t pick up Lola no more. Please don’t leave me please daddy.” Katie fell into Heath, holding onto him tightly.

“Katie sweetheart I can’t,” Heath said, running his hand through her hair. “Mummy’s making me....” Heath trailed off. The last thing he wanted to do was blame Bianca for this in front of Katie. “Mummy and I don’t get along anymore so it’s best I go.”

“Why?” Katie cried. “Mummy tell him you want him to stay.” Katie looked up at Bianca, her big brown eyes looking the saddest she’d ever seen them.

“I’m sorry,” Bianca wiped away a tear that was rolling down her cheek. “But daddy can’t stay.” Katie sniffed back as she looked from one of her parents to the other. She pushed herself off the couch and ran to her bedroom the door being slammed shut behind her. Bianca took a deep breath, wiping tears from her eyes and Heath cleared a lump from his throat, thinking that was a lot harder than he thought it was going to be.

Charlie was sitting in the downstairs toilet, practically hugging the toilet bowl. “Thought you might want some water.” Brax walked into the room, putting a glass down for his wife.

“Where are the kids?” Charlie asked picking the glass up and taking a drink.

“Still in the pool. Luca’s still out for the count.” Brax told her.

“Then you need to get back outside,” Charlie said before she vomited a little again. “They shouldn’t be in the pool on their own.” Charlie grabbed some of the toilet roll and wiped it across her mouth before she flushed the toilet.

“Ruby is back from shopping,” Brax told her, rubbing her back. “She’s watching them. Toby and Ella are trying to push her in fully clothed, actually,” Brax gave a little chuckle. “Maybe this is a stupid question but are you okay?”

Charlie glared up at him. “Yeah, it was a stupid question,” Charlie put her hand onto her chest and swallowed. “Definitely think I’m taking that bug.” Brax felt her forehead but her temperature felt normal.

“If you want me to stay home from work tomorrow I will,” Brax told her as she took another drink of water. “You can rest. Get yourself feeling better again and I’ll do the school run, watch Luca, make dinner.”

“Make dinner huh?” Charlie raised her eyebrows. “Won’t say no to that but you are not driving those kids around until you get your glasses.” Charlie told him.

“Fair enough,” Brax had to agree. “You are all a bit blurry and your second head still occasionally pops out,” Brax laughed. “Probably safer I don’t drive with the kids right now.”

“Maybe you should wait to work as well. Get used to having your sight back and get used to wearing glasses over the weekend. Start next Monday.” Charlie said, wanting Brax to stay with her at home this week, mostly because if she was going to be ill, she wanted someone else there to help out with Luca.

“Sure,” Brax said, once again rubbing her back. “You got any stomach pains?” Brax wondered.

“A little,” Charlie answered and Brax’s hand moved round her body to rub her stomach. Charlie leaned into him a little, exhaling quietly. “You’re wet.” Charlie observed.

“Yeah I’ve been in the pool with the kids.” Brax said.

“Clearly,” Charlie mumbled. “You didn’t think to dry yourself before you walked into the house? I bet you’ve dripped water everywhere.”

“It’s water. It’ll dry.” Brax sighed.

“Well you know I don’t like the kids doing it so please set an example.” Charlie said and Brax gave a little nod.

“Sorry,” Brax exhaled. “Anyways, you’re looking a little white in the face so you should go have a lie down.” Brax ran his hand over her hair, his other still circling her stomach.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “Just have to pee first.” Charlie said, standing up from the floor, Brax standing up with her. Brax left the room to go back to the kids as Charlie sat on the toilet seat, her hand rubbing over her stomach as she pursed her lips in worry.

Thanks Red Ranger 1 and Sarah. :)

One hundred and fifty-seven

Bianca opened the door to Katie’s room to check on the girls, or most importantly Katie. She was still extremely upset when she went to bed and Bianca wanted to make sure she settled okay. She quietly walked over as to not wake Darcy. “Katie?” Bianca’s heart skipped a beat as she noticed the bed was empty. “Katie,” Bianca yelled. “Katelyn where are you? Oh God Katelyn.” Bianca was frantic as she ran out of the room.

“Shhh,” Bianca turned around as she heard April’s voice and saw her walking out of her room. “She’s fine, she’s in my bed,” Bianca breathed a sigh of relief as her hand rested on her chest. “She came through when you were in the shower. She was upset and wanted some comfort.”

Bianca felt her lips starting to tremble before she burst into tears. “What have I done, April?” Bianca squeaked through the tears. “I love him so much.”

“You two have been through a lot,” April stepped closer to her sister and rubbed her arm in comfort. “I think even if it’s not permanent, this is needed.”

“Yeah,” Bianca took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. “It’s going to be permanent though. I can’t forgive this baby.”

April exhaled, feeling it was a shame that they had to be over. “Well as long as you can stay civil for the girls.” April said.

“Of course we will,” Bianca told her walking over the couch and sitting down, April taking a seat next to her. “You know I didn’t want it to come to this,” Bianca rolled her rings around her finger. “I....I was dealing with Rose being here after he slept with her. We were going to go back to counselling and have some time away just the two of us.” Bianca sniffed back.

“You can still do that.” April spoke softly, rubbing her arm.

“No no,” Bianca shook her head. “Not when there’s a baby.”

April sighed, knowing no matter what she said; right now nothing would make Bianca want to give Heath another chance. “Well it’s a shame,” April exhaled. “I just hope you and Heath can work together at getting Katie used to this.”

“We will,” Bianca answered, wiping away tears from her cheeks. “Those two girls are our main priority right now. Freya is obviously far too young to know what’s going on but Darcy and Katie.....especially Darcy, I feel so bad for her. She’s just lost her mother. She was here to be with her family and now we are splitting up, I...” Bianca trailed off, shaking her head.

“April,” Bianca and April looked around as they heard Katie’s little voice. “Your bed is wet.” Katie scrunched her face up.

“My bed is wet?” April mumbled sounding a bit confused.

“Katie have you peed the bed?” Bianca questioned as she stood up.

“Eww.” April curled her nose.

“No,” Katie answered looking downwards as Bianca walked over to her. “No.” Katie took a few steps backwards, moving away from Bianca.

“It’s okay sweetheart you won’t get in trouble. It was just an accident,” Bianca bent down to Katie’s level and held her hand out. “C’mon with me and we’ll get you changed.”

“Want daddy to do it.” Katie answered.

“You can’t get daddy right now,” Bianca pursed her lips. “He’s not here at night time.”

“I want my daddy.” Katie spoke with a little anger in her tone as she banged her foot off the floor. Bianca felt her heart sinking a little. Katie wasn’t a daddy’s girl as such but of course she’d be testing right now, given the split, which Bianca put down to the reason she’d wet the bed. Katie wasn’t a bed wetter, even when she was potty training she was always good in that respect and of course she was starting school the next day which too could have brought on the bed wetting.

“Hey how about I help you out?” April walked over, trying to help Bianca with the situation. “I’ll get you changed and you can even use some of my strawberry body lotion on yourself before we get you redressed.” April said and Katie’s eyes light up.

“For my arms and legs and my tummy?” Katie patted her stomach and April gave a little nod.

“Yep, everywhere,” April said before she held her hand out. Katie smiled up at her auntie before running over to her, taking her hand in hers. April looked to Bianca who gave her an appreciative smile. “Can you get the...” April gestured into her bedroom.

“Yeah,” Bianca exhaled. “I’ll get the sheets.” Bianca said, walking through to April’s room, hoping this split hadn’t damaged her relationship with Katie too much.

“Oh baby mummy thought she was done changing nappies. She really did, yeah,” Charlie cooed down at Luca as she changed him. “But I don’t mind doing it for you because you are my little Luca Bean, yeah you are,” Charlie tapped the end of his nose and Luca gave his mother a big gummy smile. “But mummy has been feeling ill lately and she’s....” Charlie paused, thinking she was surely just panicking. “No, I can’t be,” Charlie tried to assure herself. “Daddy’s had the operation. I’m just being silly, aren’t I?”

“Who’s being silly?” Charlie looked around to see Ruby walking into her room. Charlie looked back down to Luca, folding down the tabs on the nappy before doing up the poppers on his onesie. “Hey Luca Bean is mummy sharing all her secrets with you and not me?” Ruby walked further into the room, sitting down on the bed next to where Luca was laying. “Tell her that’s not right. Tell her Ruby will be able to give her an answer.” Luca stared up at Ruby as she spoke to him before breaking out into a smile again.

“You all ready for uni?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah,” Ruby lifted Luca into her arms, allowing Charlie to sit down next to her daughter. “Brax and the kids are still eating breakfast. Ella told me to come tell you if you didn’t come down now all the pancakes would be gone.”

Charlie smiled at Ella for thinking of her. “I don’t feel like eating.”

“Everything okay?” Ruby asked. “You’ve looked a bit.....meh.....every now and then over the last few days.”

Charlie stifled a laugh. “I’m just coming down with a bug,” Charlie told her eldest. “I’ll be fine in a few days.” Charlie sucked in her bottom lip, hoping this was the case and it wasn’t what she was thinking, or anything worse.

“Yeah hopefully,” Ruby exhaled. “Anyways, you should come down the stairs. Toby is asking a hundred and one questions about school and the twins and even dad are getting annoyed at him.” Ruby gave a little laugh.

“What so he can annoy me instead?” Charlie questioned. “Think I’ll stay hiding out up here with Luca.” Charlie laughed, taking her baby son into her arms. Ruby shook her head at her mother as she stood up.

“Suit yourself. Don’t come for a nice breakfast with your loving family.” Ruby exhaled and Charlie gave a little laugh as she watched her daughter walking out of her room.

Katie pushed the plate away from herself and into the middle of the table. “You did it wrong.” Katie said with a scowl on her face as she folded her arms across her chest.

“It’s the same as every other time you want egg and soldiers,” Bianca answered, pushing the plate closer to Katie again. “C’mon eat it up. You’ve got a big day at school.”

“It’s different....uhm.....there,” Katie pointed out before pushing the plate away again. Darcy looked up from eating her cereal before looking away again, deciding not to try to help out. There was a knock at the door before it opened and Heath walked into the house. “Daddy.” Katie jumped down from the chair and ran full belt into Heath.

“Hey pumpkin,” Heath placed a kiss on her temple. “Ah look at you all pretty in your school dress.” Katie grinned as she gave a little curtsy in her blue checked school dress.

“I start Prep daddy. No more Kindy.” Katie beamed, Bianca feeling sad at her sudden change in mood now that daddy had shown up.

“Nah you are a big girl now, huh?” Heath ruffled her hair, which had been pulled back in a neat plait with a little blue ribbon tied around the bottom.

“Yeah cos I am 5 on Saturday,” Katie grinned, excited for her birthday. “Is you at my party? You and mummy?” Katie questioned.

“Of course we’ll both be there.” Heath assured her.

“And auntie April and auntie Charlie, uncle Brax, Ruby, Ella, Noah, Toby and Luca?” Katie wondered. “Oh Darcy and Freya too.”

“Yeah they will all be there,” Heath gave a little smile as he pinched her cheek before looking to the table. “You okay, Darce?”

“Fine.” Darcy spoke quietly, still eating her cereal.

“Excited for school?” Heath wondered. Darcy gave a little shrug before taking a drink of her orange juice. Heath sighed before looking to Bianca. “I thought we could take her to school together.”

“Fine,” Bianca said. “That was always the plan anyways so let’s keep it that way,” Bianca couldn’t make eye contact with her husband. “Right, Katie come and eat your breakfast.” Bianca knocked her finger against the table a few times.

“Go on,” Heath encouraged her. “I’ll come sit with you huh?” Heath said and Katie grinned taking his hand and leading him over to the table.

One hundred and fifty-eight

Charlie and Bianca were at the diner, each of them holding each other’s baby. “Aww look at little Lucas getting hugs from auntie Bianca,” Colleen cooed down at the boy as she put Bianca’s coffee and Charlie’s peach iced tea on the table. “And lovely little Freya.” Colleen smiled.

“Thanks Colleen,” Bianca smiled before Colleen walked off to bring out more orders. “Still thinks he’s called Lucas then?” Bianca laughed.

“Well it’s been over 9 weeks. I don’t think it’ll change now. Once Colleen believes something there’s not much changing her mind,” Charlie exhaled, reaching forward and picking up her glass, taking a drink of her iced tea. “So Katie get to school okay this morning?”

“Yeah,” Bianca nodded. “Heath came around and we took her together.”

“Heath came around?” Charlie was a little confused. “So he did move out then?”

“Mmm,” Bianca pursed her lips. “Got a van at the caravan park. Left the girls with me.” Bianca moved Luca in her arms a little and reached for her coffee.

“I’m sorry,” Charlie spoke softly. “Are you okay?”

“I wanted this, didn’t I?” Bianca questioned.

“I know but it’s still going to upset you.” Charlie said and Bianca took a deep breath to stop herself from crying.

“It’ll be a difficult few weeks for us all, I’d expect,” Bianca said quietly. “Anyways, how was Tobes this morning?” Bianca wondered. “Excited for Kindy?”

“Oh yes,” Charlie answered, deciding not to push with the Heath conversation, Bianca clearly not wanting to talk about it just yet. “Marched straight in through those school gates without a problem. Kinda saddened me, actually. Wish he was a little more unsure.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Aww I know what you mean but little Tobes would never be unsure of anything,” Bianca said. “He just jumps right into everything.”

“He sure does,” Charlie agreed. “And maybe for school it is a good thing but sometimes...” Charlie trailed off, shaking her head. “He is a Braxton for sure, let’s put it that way.” Charlie took another drink before putting her hand to her chest, suddenly feeling sick.

“You okay?” Bianca questioned.

“Just been a bit off the last few days,” Charlie answered. “I uhm....I’ve had cramps, need to pee all the time, been sick.” Charlie clicked her tongue and Bianca widened her eyes.

“Are you and Brax having sex again?” Bianca questioned.

“Since Luca was 5 weeks,” Charlie nodded. “So.....yeah,” Charlie knew what her friend was thinking. “It kinda crossed my mind but he’s had a vasectomy so surely not.”

“The only thing one hundred percent effective is what I’ve got going on right now,” Bianca said. “There’s always going to be that possibility,” Bianca said, looking a little shocked herself. “But I actually didn’t think you were....” Bianca stopped talking. “Never mind.”

“What?” Charlie pursed her lips, intrigued to what Bianca was going to say.

Bianca bit her lip before saying it. “Just....well he’s been blind. I didn’t know if -”

“He was blind, there was nothing wrong with him down there,” Charlie gave a little laugh at Bianca. “He still worked perfectly fine. Although the other night...” Charlie pursed her lips. “It really hurt.”

Bianca widened her eyes. “You really should take a test.” Bianca told her and Charlie sighed as she shook her head.

“No, I don’t want....I’m not pregnant,” Charlie sighed. “I....I’m just taking a bug.”

“What? The pregnancy symptoms bug?” Bianca gave a little laugh. “And we talk about Heath not using protection.” Bianca rolled her eyes.

“Brax has had a vasectomy,” Charlie sounded frustrated. “It’s not...I’m not pregnant.”

“Do you know for sure Brax has had a vasectomy?” Bianca questioned. “Were you there when he got it done?”

“No,” Charlie answered. “But he wouldn’t lie about that.”

“He once put holes in condoms to try to get you pregnant,” Bianca reminded her. “I’m just saying it’s worth double checking.” Charlie sucked in her bottom lip, as if considering what Bianca was saying. She knew she’d need to broach the subject carefully with Brax as to whether he really had had the vasectomy or not. She exhaled lightly before looking to her baby son who was gurgling from Bianca’s arms. She loved her little accident more than anything but there was no way she was wanting another.

Heath put the cash box into the till before looking up, surprised to see Rose walking into the restaurant. “Not now, Rose,” Heath sighed. “I’m setting up for opening.”

“I know,” Rose told him. “You’ve got me today instead of Laura,” Rose smiled, leaning over the bar and rubbing his arm as she seductively bit her bottom lip. “Where do you want me?”

Heath sighed, shaking his head at Rose changing her shifts, but more so for Laura allowing it, knowing what was going on with Heath, Rose and Bianca. “Get in the kitchen then there’s a rack of cutlery to be brought out.”

“Are you going to let me do heavy lifting in my state?” Rose said, running her hand over her stomach.

“I’m sure you can manage a cutlery tray,” Heath replied. “Now go.” Heath gestured for Rose to go into the kitchen. She sighed a little as she started walking but instead of going to the kitchen, walked behind the bar to where Heath was standing.

“You look a little tense,” Rose started to massage his shoulders. “Relax, baby.” Rose whispered in his ear.

“Get off,” Heath shrugged his arms back, his elbow knocking hard against her stomach. “Oh Rose I’m sorry.” Heath turned around putting his hand onto her stomach.

“It didn’t hurt,” Rose said. “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” Heath questioned. “What about the baby?” Rose was trying not to smile at the feeling of Heath having his hands on her body.

“It’s well protected.” Rose assured him.

“No, we will take you to the hospital.” Heath said, taking her hand and walking out of the bar area with her.

“No no,” Rose sounded alarmed. “I uhm....you need to open up here,” Rose told him. “I’ll go to the hospital and get checked over, but you stay. Stay here.” Rose insisted.

“You promise you’ll go?” Heath asked and Rose nodded. “Okay, go on then.” Heath said and Rose held back a sigh as she walked across the restaurant towards the doors. As Heath watched her leave he felt a horrible feeling in the pit of his stomach, and no matter how much he told Bianca he wouldn’t be in this child’s life if it meant being with her, he found himself already caring a great deal about his unborn child.

April watched as the toddler ran excitedly to the swing, her mother walking after her. She put her hand onto her stomach and exhaled sadly. “Hey, sweets,” Ruby sat down at the picnic bench opposite her. “You okay?” Ruby followed April’s gaze, seeing the small child being placed in the swing.

“Fine,” April smiled weakly. “How’s your first morning back at uni?”

“Not too bad,” Ruby answered. “How about you?”

“Crazy already. It’s going to be one stressy year, that’s for sure.” April said as she opened her bottle of juice before taking a drink.

“Just think, one more year then you’ll be a Doctor.” Ruby smiled at her girlfriend before opening her tupperware box and lifting out her sandwich, the pair meeting at the little park between their campuses for lunch.

“That is so not true,” April told her. “I’ll have like 3 years of residency to do first.”

“Yeah but you’ll still be a doctor really,” Ruby said. “Or close enough to being a doctor,” Ruby mumbled. “Anyways are you still moving in to my place?” Ruby questioned, of course with them arguing the moving in not yet happening.

“I’m not sure right now.” April scrunched her face up a little.

“Oh.” Ruby bowed her head sadly.

“Of course I’d love to but I want to be around for Bianca right now,” April told her. “You know Heath’s moved out?”

“No,” Ruby looked shocked. “When did this happen?”

“Yesterday,” April told her. “So, she’s dealing with the break-up of her marriage, trying to be strong for Darce and Katie, trying to help Katie get used to this, I.....” April trailed. “I kinda just want to be there for Bianca right now.”

“That’s fair enough,” Ruby understood where April was coming from. “But we are still going away next weekend, right? That’s still happening?”

“Of course,” April told her. “I’m going to spoil my baby rotten.” April grinned.

Ruby raised her eyebrows. “I like the sound of that,” Ruby smiled. “You want to tell me more about this weekend away?” Ruby questioned and April shook her head as he took a drink. “Aww please,” Ruby pouted. “Like where we are actually going or what we are doing or.....something.”

“No,” April raised her voice a little. “I shouldn’t have even told you we were going away,” Ruby pouted sadly. “And don’t make that face at me either,” April told her, but Ruby just pouted even more. “Baby seriously just let it be a surprise.” April said and Ruby sighed, giving up on trying to find out for now.

One hundred and fifty-nine

Rose walked back into the restaurant and when Heath caught sight of her he immediately walked over to her, bring his hand out and resting it on her arm. “How is the baby?” Heath questioned.

“Fine,” Rose told him. “I told you not to worry.”

Heath breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s great.”

Rose smiled a little. “Worrying about us?” Rose questioned, batting her eyes. “That’s so sweet.”

“I was worried about the baby.” Heath told her.

“Well I am carrying your child,” Rose said. “I’m sure you have some sort of feelings for me,” Rose told him, her hand brushing against his. “Now you are shot of that baby killer we can have a proper go at this. We can be a family.”

“How do you know about that?” Heath was slightly confused. He and Bianca had only just broken up, how could she know already?

“The old one in the diner sure does have a mouth on her,” Rose laughed. “Overheard Bianca telling Charlie all about.” Rose had hung out in the diner when she was supposed to be at the hospital and Colleen of course was telling anybody that would listen to her about Heath and Bianca’s split.

Heath shook his head. “Well it doesn’t change anything,” Heath told her. “I will not now or ever be with you romantically,” Heath said. “Bianca is my wife. I love her more than anything and all I will try to do is win her back,” Heath said, saddening Rose. “I will be in this child’s life but we will never be a we,” Heath told her. “It’s time you accepted that.” Rose took a deep breath. She really though if she told him she was having his baby he want to be with her to be close to his child.

“Well,” Rose exhaled. “You want to be in this baby’s life, then, you have to have me too,” Rose told him, a smug smile forming on her face. “We come as a package. You get two of us, or none of us.” Rose said before walking down towards the kitchen, Heath rubbing his forehead as he sighed, not knowing what he was supposed to do.

Darcy walked into the house and threw her school bag down on the floor before kneeling down next to Katie who was teasing both the kittens with a little toy mouse. “Hey Darce,” Bianca smiled down at her stepdaughter. “How was your first day?”

“Fine.” Darcy shrugged a little as she picked up Flynn, holding him close to her.

“Make any friends?” Bianca wondered, hoping she was going to settle in okay.

“It was my first day,” Darcy looked up to her stepmother. “Settle.”

“Okay fair enough,” Bianca pursed her lips. “Did you talk with some of the girls?”

“Not really,” Darcy exhaled. “You’re not supposed to talk in the classrooms you know,” Darcy told her stepmother. “You should know that. You are a teacher.”

“Well yes,” Bianca exhaled. “I was talking about break and or lunch time.”

Darcy sighed. “I sat by myself at break and lunch,” Darcy said. “This boy came and spoke to me though. Said he knew who I was,” Darcy told her and Bianca screwed her face up, a little confused. “He’s a year 8. He’s nice.”

Bianca raised her eyebrows. “A year 8, huh. What was his name?”

“VJ Patterson,” Darcy said. “He said he knew me when I was here before New Zealand but I don’t really remember him,” Darcy gave a shrug. “Told me that uncle Brax taught him to surf.”

“He did,” Bianca nodded a little. “VJ is a nice boy.” Bianca smiled as she saw Darcy going a little red in the face.

“Yeah,” Darcy agreed. “He was nice. He offered to show me around the school. Told me what teachers were jerks,” Darcy said and Bianca raised her eyebrows. “You didn’t get mentioned,” Darcy assured her. “I think a lot of the boys actually crush on you,” Darcy gave a little laugh. “VJ’s friend Jett said you were hot,” Bianca became embarrassed. “Hopes you go back to teaching soon. When are you going to go back, by the way?”

“When Freya is 6 months,” Bianca answered. “So another....almost 3 months.”

“So like after Easter break?” Darcy figured.

“Yeah around then.” Bianca told her and Darcy exhaled as she put Flynn back down. Flynn immediately going over to where Katie and Lola had run off too.

“Well I’m going to get changed.” Darcy stood up and walked over to her bedroom, leaving Bianca with a smile on her face, Bianca glad her first day at high school seemed to go okay.

Charlie slipped into the bed she shared with her husband. “You’ve been pretty quiet tonight,” Brax said. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah,” Charlie squeezed some hand cream onto her hands before rubbing it in. “Just been listening to the kids’ stories about school.”

“Even when the kids went to bed though,” Brax exhaled. “You didn’t say much.” Brax looked around to his wife, knowing that something was bothering her.

Charlie gave a little shrug. “We were watching TV.”

“Charlie.” Brax sighed.

“Look, I,” Charlie pursed her lips. “You promise me you won’t get mad?” Charlie twisted the ends of the bed cover with her fingers as she looked away from her husband.

“Uhm,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I won’t.” Brax of course not knowing what Charlie was about to say, just agreed so she would say it.

“Well you know I’ve been feeling ill, as of late?” Charlie questioned and Brax gave a little nod. “Well it crossed my mind that I....you know the symptoms have been pretty much like....” Charlie took a deep breath. “I think I might be pregnant.”

“Uhm....what?” Brax was shocked at Charlie’s statement. “But I...I had a vasectomy.”

Charlie took a deep breath, needing a moment before she said it. “But did you?” Charlie questioned. “I....I need to know honestly.”

“Yes,” Brax raised his voice. “Why would I lie about that?” Brax felt hurt that Charlie was questioning him over this.

“Well you did once put holes in condoms,” Charlie retorted. “And it’s just....I’ve had all the symptoms. Being sick, peeing a lot, cramps, I’ve felt so tired today, I have a headache, I....I know it can sometimes take a few months after having a baby but I still haven’t got my period,” Charlie exhaled. “I just wanted to be sure.”

“Well if you haven’t had a period how can you be pregnant?” Brax questioned. “Don’t you need to release an egg or something?” Brax screwed his face up.

“Well yeah but maybe I ovulated, we had sex and.....baby happened,” Charlie said before pursing her lips. “So, you honestly swear on the kids’ life that you had the vasectomy?”

“Yes,” Brax yelled a little. “I can’t believe you don’t trust me.”

“It’s not that I don’t trust you,” Charlie said. “It’s just....well how else do we explain this?” Charlie questioned.

Brax shrugged a little. “Vasectomies aren’t always effective. There’s always that chance, especially in the first year,” Brax spoke coldly towards his wife. “Couldn’t you just have assumed it failed other than the fact I must have lied about it?”

“I guess so,” Charlie pursed her lips. “I’m sorry, I just...I wanted to be sure.”

Brax sniggered. “Do you even know if you are pregnant or not yet?” Brax questioned and Charlie looked down as she shook her head. “Maybe you should have found that out before you accused me of lying to you for the best part of a year.”

“I bought a test this afternoon,” Charlie told him. “I’ve just been too scared to take it.”

Brax sniggered once again. “Well how about you find out if you are pregnant first before you accuse me of lying about the vasectomy some more?” Brax once again spoke coldly before he lay down in the bed, turning his back to face Charlie.

“Brax,” Charlie spoke softly. “Brax I....” Charlie pursed her lips, deciding not to make things worse. “Goodnight.” Charlie exhaled, looking down to her husband. Upon seeing she wasn’t about to get a reply any time soon, she leaned to her side and switched off the sidelight before lying down to sleep.

One hundred and sixty

Charlie had taken a test the next morning but it had come back negative, much to her relief in some sense, but in the other, she was worried about what else could be wrong with her, her symptoms clearly telling her something wasn’t right. After she’d taken the kids to school she’d gone to the hospital and Sid had luckily had some spare time to check her over. She was now sitting in the car in the driveway of the house, her mind running over what she’d been told. She took a deep breath before getting out of the car and walking slowly into the house. “Where the hell have you been?” Brax barked as soon as she walked into the house. “Luca is screaming for a feed.” Charlie could hear Luca’s tears. He never usually cried, even if he was late for a feed, but this time, maybe it was just a little too late.

“I,” Charlie took another deep breath. “I went to the hospital.”

“Wanted to sneak a look at my file, did you?” Brax retorted. “See if I’d had the vasectomy?”

“No,” Charlie squeaked as her voice broke, her eyes brimming with tears. “They uhm....” Charlie exhaled, needing a moment. “Well you know I wasn’t pregnant so I.....I went to see if I could make an appointment to see if everything was okay and Sid saw me right then and...” Charlie trailed off, Brax knowing by her voice something wasn’t quite right.

“Charlie what is it?” Brax questioned, taking a step closer to his wife and rubbing his hand over her upper arm, clearly worried by her behaviour.

There seemed to be a long period of silence before Charlie mustered up the courage to say it. “I have a tumour,” Charlie cried. “And there’s a chance that it’s malignant.” Charlie broke down in tears.

Brax gasped in shock. “Oh God Charlie.” Brax held Charlie close to him, Charlie holding tightly onto her husband.

“It’s on my ovary. That’s why I had the pregnancy symptoms,” Charlie mumbled against Brax’s chest. “I’m so scared Brax.” Charlie cried into him, Brax feeling her tears soak through his t-shirt.

“Hey hey,” Brax rubbed the back of her head as he pulled away from her. He looked into her eyes as he wiped his thumbs over her cheeks, wiping away her tears. “Whatever is going to come our way, we’ll get through it together. I’ll be with you all the way.” Brax rubbed her upper arms in comfort.

“What do we....what do we tell the kids?” Charlie sniffed back.

“Nothing yet,” Brax lightly shook his head. “We find out for sure how bad this is first,” Brax told her. “When do you need to go back?” Brax questioned, his heart beating faster at his wife’s upsetting news.

“Sid said he’d call when the results were in,” Charlie told him. “Said it should be a couple of days.” Charlie sniffed back, rubbing away some more tears.

“Okay,” Brax gave a little nod. “Well until then, we aren’t worrying. We carry on like everything is normal, because it’s more than likely going to be,” Brax tried to sound confident. There was no way he would believe for second that his wife could be so ill. Charlie took a deep breath as she nodded at what Brax said, but couldn’t help but let another tear fall from her eye. “Hey hey, c’mon, it’s going to be okay,” Brax took a deep breath, needing to keep himself composed. “Now, that little guy really needs fed,” Brax gestured through to the living room to where Luca could still be heard stirring. “So, you go feed our little bean and then the three of us will take Rolo out for his morning walk, yeah?” Brax said, rubbing her arm. Charlie gave a little nod before walking through to the living room to give her son his feed, trying her hardest to push her worries to the back of her mind for now.

Bianca was sitting in the corridor of the school, waiting on the teacher to come out and talk to her. She lightly rocked the car seat as Freya started to whimper, the gentle rocking quickly soothing her. “Bianca.” Bianca looked up as she heard Heath’s voice.

“They called you too?” Bianca was a little puzzled that the school had called them both.

“Of course they did,” Heath sat down next to Bianca and looked to Freya making a funny face, resulting in some big smiles from Freya. He lifted his daughter out of the car seat and into his arms. “I am her father.”

Bianca exhaled and was about to reply before a door opened and the headmistress of the school walked out. “Mr and Mrs Braxton,” The lady said, welcoming them into the office. Heath stood up and walked in, leaving Bianca to bring in the car seat. “Take a seat,” Mrs Andrews pointed to the chairs as she took a seat opposite them. “Well as you can expect I am very disappointed that it’s only the second day and we’ve had to call parents into the school regarding their child’s behaviour.” Mrs Andrews spoke crossly and Heath took an immediate dislike to her.

“What’s happened?” Bianca questioned.

Mrs Andrews pushed her thick red glasses back up her nose. “Katelyn seems to be having trouble settling in.”

“Well as you said it is only her second day.” Bianca retorted.

“Very well but her behaviour is unacceptable,” Mrs Andrews said. “Yesterday she had the whole glass gasping as she called her teacher a bloody idiot,” Mrs Andrews sounded appalled. “A four year old shouldn’t be saying this, don’t you agree?”

Heath gave a little laugh. “I think her mother has said that to me a few times over the last week or so.” Heath said rubbing Freya’s back as she cuddled against him.

“Yes well they do say kids learn things from the home,” Mrs Andrews glared at Bianca. “She also will not answer to Katelyn. She -”

“Katie,” Bianca butted in. “She likes to be called Katie. Katelyn is only ever used if she is in trouble, so it’s understandable that she doesn’t want to answer to that.”

“Very well,” Mrs Andrews jotted that piece of information down. “But, Katel- Katie,” Mrs Andrews corrected herself as she reached for a piece of paper that had been ripped in two. “A student’s artwork that Katie said was crap and ripped up,” Bianca looked down to the paper, her lips pursed. “And she also pulled on another student’s hair today during break time because she didn’t get her way,” Mrs Andrews told them. “Now, Katie is a lovely child. During her visits to the school I remember her to be so sweet and well mannered, so I’m not sure if maybe she’s not ready for this or if -”

“We’ve just split up,” Bianca informed her. “She finding it difficult to deal with and I think her anger is coming out at school,” Bianca glanced at Heath but saw he wasn’t about to contribute to the conversation. “So put starting a new school on top of dealing with your parents separating and it’s not going to be easy on anyone, let alone a 4 year old.”

“Then you two need to communicate more with her. Sit her down and talk to her together so she understands things better,” Mrs Andrews told them. “She can’t continue this way. We don’t want her to cause trouble or start being disruptive regularly.”

“Of course.” Bianca gave a little nod.

“This sort of behaviour can lead to exclusion and then expulsion,” Mrs Andrews warned them. “Fix it now before it gets out of hand.”

“We’ll talk to her,” Bianca ensured. “Right?” Bianca glared at Heath, wishing he would look more interested in what Mrs Andrews was saying about Katie. Granted he was pleased to see Freya, but now wasn’t the time to be cooing over her.

“Sure yeah.” Heath answered, his gaze remaining on his baby daughter.

Bianca sighed as she shook her head a little. “Is there anything else?” Bianca questioned.

“That’s all,” Mrs Andrews said. “And I hope this is the last time I see you. At least under these circumstances.” Mrs Andrews stood up and Bianca stood up after her, shaking her hand. Mrs Andrews held out her hand for Heath to shake, but he was too lost in looking at Freya to notice. Bianca hit him on the shoulder and he looked up before standing up to shaking Mrs Andrews’ hand.

“Thank you,” Bianca said, picking up the car seat and leaving her office, Heath trailing behind with Freya. Bianca sighed as they walked through the car park. “You could have been more interested in your daughter.” Bianca spat as she unlocked her car before opening the back door and belting in the car seat.

“I was.” Heath cooed down at Freya.

“Not her.” Bianca raised her voice as she took Freya into her arms, strapping her into the car seat and slamming the door shut.

“What?” Heath questioned.

“Sure yeah,” Bianca mocked Heath’s voice. “Jesus Heath,” Bianca sighed. “But look, we are going to have to talk to her.”

“I know,” Heath sighed rolling his wedding ring around his finger. “How about I take the girls out for dinner tonight then when I bring them home we can talk to her?”

“I’ve already made lasagne for tonight’s dinner.”Bianca told him.

“Okay well how about I come around for dinner then we can talk?” Heath questioned.

“No, you are not having dinner with us,” Bianca told him. “That’ll just confuse her. Uhm...” Bianca pursed her lips. “Come around about a half hour before her bath time,” Bianca told him. “Does that suit?”

Heath sighed before he nodded. “Fine. I’ll come around then,” Heath answered. “Can I take them for dinner tomorrow night then?” Heath asked but before Bianca could answer he spoke again. “Actually no, I am taking them for dinner tomorrow night,” Heath told her. “I’ll come around for Freya in the morning and pick Katie and Darce up from school. I’ll bring them home around 7.”

“Freya has the doctors tomorrow,” Bianca told him. “She has her 14 week vaccinations.”

“When?” Heath questioned.

“Uhm...11.” Bianca told him.

“Okay, I’ll meet you at the hospital at 11 then she’s spending the rest of the day with me,” Heath told his wife before stepping forward and opening the car door. “I’ll see you later Princess,” Heath cooed before giving his daughter a kiss. He turned back up to face Bianca, exhaling sadly as he took in her beauty for a moment. “See you.” Heath sighed before walking over to his truck, Bianca leaning back against her car, she too exhaling sadly as she played with her wedding rings.

Archived