Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments. :)

Ninety-one

Ruby walked back into the house, seeing Charlie sitting on the couch, Rolo’s head resting on her leg as she clapped him. “Hey,” Charlie smiled as her daughter as he turned the volume on the TV down. Ruby took a seat next to her mother, Rolo temporarily greeting her before going back to Charlie. “How was work?” Charlie questioned.

“Fine,” Ruby exhaled, playing with her necklace. “How was your night?”

“Good,” Charlie couldn’t help but grin. “Really good.”

Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Yeah that grin on your face would let me believe so,” Ruby said. “Something happen?”

“I think Brax is back.” Charlie said, the smile only growing.

“Huh?” Ruby looked confused. “I wasn’t aware he left.”

“Of course he was always here,” Charlie exhaled. “I just mean he’s like his old self again. With the kids, with me, with everything. I know it’s got to be hard for him but I think he’s accepted this is his life now and he’s trying to live it the best way possible.”

“Well that’s good for him,” Ruby spoke softly. “Although maybe once Bianca is back and the baby is born he’ll be different again,” Ruby spoke tentatively. “He’s not happy with Bianca and of course not being able to see his little one will be hard.”

“Mmmm,” Charlie exhaled. “We’ll just get to that when it happens though,” Charlie said, running her hand over her bump as the baby started kicking, right on cue. 10pm every night for the last month or so, the baby would be most active from 10pm till around midnight, of course, this being about the worst time as Charlie was about to go to bed and with a baby kicking around her belly, it wasn’t always the easiest to fall asleep. “So, the diner busy tonight?” Charlie questioned.

“Not too bad,” Ruby answered. “Romeo was in,” Ruby bit he lip. “I asked him for a divorce.”

“Oh,” Charlie widened her eyes. “What did he say to that?”

“No,” Ruby answered. “That he’s not signing any papers,” Ruby sighed as she ran he hands though her hair. “He’s going to make this difficult.”

“Maybe you just picked a bad time to ask him.” Charlie said, her hand still rubbing her bump.

“Okay so when is the right time to ask someone for a divorce?” Ruby questioned.

“Good point.” Charlie exhaled.

“I know I hurt him but he’s just being spiteful,” Ruby sighed. “And it’s not like I want a divorce to marry April. That’s not legally possible,” Ruby said. “I just....we’ve spilt up. Divorce should be the next step.”

“Just give him a few more weeks then ask again,” Charlie said. “Maybe he’ll change his mind. He’s dating that girl now, isn’t he?” Ruby gave a little shrug. “And you know you can always contact a lawyer and see if he can help you with the fact that Romeo isn’t cooperating.”

“Hmmm.” Ruby once again rubbed her necklace. She opened her mouth to talk but a little voice spoke over her.

“Mummy.” Toby came running into the room.

“What you doing up, buddy?” Charlie sighed as Toby climbed up onto the couch.

“Uhm,” Toby scratched the side of his head. “There a monkey in my room.”

“The only monkey in that room is you.” Charlie said, ticking his sides, resulting in Toby laughing.

“Maybe it a koala.” Toby yawned.

“It’s not a koala either.” Charlie stifled a laugh as she ran her hand over his curly locks.

“It a possum then.” Toby said, circling his hand over her stomach, smiling as he felt the baby kicking. Charlie sighed knowing this could go on forever.

“C’mon then,” Charlie pushed herself up from the couch and held her hand out, Toby jumping down and taking his mother’s hand in his. “Let’s go investigate.” Charlie looked to Ruby and rolled her eyes before leaving to take her son back up to his bed.

Bianca had been in the centre for almost a week now. She’d called home to talk to Katie a couple of times, and hoped that Heath would talk with her too but after asking how Freya was, Heath would end the conversation and either pass the phone to Katie, or if they’d already spoken, he’d hang up. Today was family visit day at the centre, allowing husbands and children there to visit their wife’s, mothers and sibling. “Mummy,” Katie beamed as she ran across the garden area and leaped into Bianca’s arms. “I miss you too much.” Katie held onto her tightly as Bianca placed a kiss on her temple.

“I miss you to pumpkin,” Bianca felt emotional at seeing her little girl. “You’ve dressed up all pretty. Is this new?” Bianca pulled back and looked to Katie’s white sundress with little lilac coloured flowers on it.

“Daddy bought it,” Katie twirled around, showing off her new dress. “I love it.” Katie patted her dress down. Bianca looked to Heath and gave him a smile and he returned a weak one.

“Where’s Freya?” Heath questioned. Bianca pointed to the pram by the table just behind her. Heath walked over and picked his daughter up, Freya staying asleep as Heath softly kissed her forehead. Katie smiled as she saw her baby sister and ran over to Heath, standing on her tiptoes as Heath bent down to her level. Katie kissed Freya’s cheek before rubbing her little hand.

“I miss her too,” Katie pouted sadly. “They comes home now?” Katie looked to her father questioningly.

“I eh.” Heath exhaled, unsure to how much longer Bianca and Freya would need to stay there for.

“Not right now,” Bianca walked behind Katie and ran her hand through her ponytail. “Mummy needs to stay here another couple of weeks.”

“Oh,” Katie pouted sadly. “You is still got the ladybug?”

Bianca gave a little laugh. “I’m still a little sick but I’m getting better slowly.” Katie furrowed her eyebrows for a moment before giving her mother a smile.

“Mummy can we go to the swing?” Katie pointed to playground across the garden.

“Sure,” Bianca answered. “I just want to talk to daddy first, okay?” Bianca questioned. “You go down and I’ll be there soon, hmm.”

“Okays.” Katie answered before running the short distance to the playground, where lots of other kids were already playing. Bianca looked to Heath and pursed her lips together before she sat down on the chair, Heath sitting opposite her, Freya snuggling closer to him in his arms.

“I bet you’ve missed her.” Bianca smiled at Heath. He looked so comfortable with Freya in his arms, the love in his eyes for her very evident to see.

“Yeah,” Heath kept his gaze on his daughter. “How uhm....” Heath cleared his throat before finally looking up at his wife. “How is it here?”

“It’s great,” Bianca answered. “The staff are all amazing and so understanding. They really help you to bond with your baby and help you with ways to cope if you feel things are all getting a bit too much.”

“Well that’s good,” Heath said. “Especially for the price we are paying for this place.”

“Yeah,” Bianca clicked her tongue. “Anyways, she eh....we do this baby and mother swimming class every morning. She loves the water,” Bianca gave a little smile. “She’s a Braxton for sure.”

“Nice to know she’s not letting the Braxton side down,” Heath grinned as he looked to Freya once again, before looking down to the playground, making sure Katie was safe. He smiled as he saw her digging in the sand, talking with a little boy. “So you eh.....you don’t want to kill her anymore.”

Bianca pursed her lips together as she bowed her head down. “We eh....we have these counselling sessions,” Bianca cleared her throat, deciding to ignore Heath’s question. “They’re going well too,” Bianca told him. “The fact she was supposed to be a twin, you know, we lost her brother or sister and uhm....well we’d already lost Rocco, I...the nurse think that my PND stemmed from that. That I was so afraid I would lose her too that I....that and of course you’re hormones are already all over the place after going through childbirth so....” Bianca trailed off. “Yeah, but I....there’s still moments where I feel like I don’t want her and I can’t be her mother but I.....they are so much less often and I’m in the right place, getting the best help I can get to get me better.”

“Mmm,” Heath pursed his lips together. “I can see that,” Heath looked around the garden. “You uhm.....you looked relaxed. At ease, I.....I can see the change.”

Bianca gave him a smile. “I just want us to be okay, Heath. There’s still an us, right?” Bianca asked, rolling her wedding rings around her finger.

Heath pursed his lips, giving a little shrug. “That’s something I can’t answer right now,” Heath told her. “You should go and spend some time with Katie,” Heath said before looking back down to Freya, her eyes beginning to open. “Let’s go for a little walk, hmmm sweetie. You show daddy around this place.” Heath said before standing up and walking away from his wife. Bianca took a deep breath to compose herself before standing up and walking down to spend some time with Katie.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the comments. :)

Ninety-two

Charlie counted the wad of $5 dollar notes before putting them into the money box with the rest of the night’s takings. She jotted something down in the books before looking up to Heath and Henry who were putting the chairs up onto the tables. “Henry you can go home,” Charlie told him and Henry lifted one last chair onto the table before saying goodnight to Charlie and Heath. “See you tomorrow,” Charlie smiled at him before Henry left the restaurant. Heath continued to lift up the chairs as Charlie lifted the money box and book up and walked through to the office, locking them in the safe. “Heath.” Charlie called out for him.

Heath widened his eyes as he heard her voice and ran into the office, resting his hand onto her back. “Are you okay?” Heath sounded panicked. “Is it the baby?”

“What?” Charlie turned to face him, laughing a little. “No, I’m fine. I have a proposition for you.”

“Oh,” Heath rubbed the back of his head. “Listen Charlie I know we’ve been getting on so much better these days but you are happily married to my brother and I have.....well I have a Bianca.” Heath screwed his face up.

Charlie laughed a little. “Yeah, never going to happen,” Charlie exhaled. “Brax and I were talking and I’m about to take maternity leave and we want this place to be in good reliable hands so...” Charlie trailed off, not quiet believing she’d just referred to Heath Braxton as reliable. “How would you like a little promotion?”

A grin grew on Heath’s face. “You want me to run this place for you?” Heath questioned.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself,” Charlie told him. “We want you to be the new assistant manager.”

“You don’t even have an assistant manger right now.” Heath rubbed his head in confusion.

“Well done Einstein,” Charlie quipped. “We’ve created this position for you. A step up from supervisor but not quiet at the level of Brax and I,” Charlie watched Heath for a moment. “So, what do you think?”

“Does it come with a pay rise?” Heath grinned cheekily.

“It will,” Charlie nodded. “And if you want the job then we’ll hire a new supervisor to take your place. If you decline the offer we’ll give it to Henry.”

“Screw Henry this gig is mines,” Heath looked pleased and Charlie smiled. “So what’s my first new task as assistant manger?” Heath questioned. “Do I get a new name badge?” Heath looked down to his supervisor badge and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“You’ll get a new badge,” Charlie answered. “And you’re first task is to help me and Brax with the hiring of a new supervisor. I have near 40 CV’s to read over.” Charlie said as she pointed to the pile of CV’s on the desk.

Heath widened his eyes. “Some bedtime reading in store for me I guess.” Heath picked up half of the pile.

“Bring 5 back to me on Friday.” Charlie told him, giving him a few days to look over CV’s for the most suitable candidate.

“Five,” Heath gave a little nod. “Will do.”

“Great,” Charlie exhaled. “Now, let’s finished up in here so we can get home.” Charlie said and Heath nodded before leaving the office to finish closing up the restaurant for the night.

Charlie walked into the bedroom. “Hey, baby I am home.” Charlie threw the pile of CV’s onto the bed before leaning down and kissing Brax’s lips.

“Hey,” Brax smiled as he rubbed her arm before finding her bump. Brax liked to feel the baby more often these days and Charlie was a little unsure as to the real reason, but knew of course it would have something to do with feeling connect to the child, now he was no longer able to see him or her once they were born. “How was work?”

“Yeah pretty busy,” Charlie yawned as sat down on the bed, cuddling into Brax. “Decided I am going to take my maternity leave from next weekend,” Charlie told him. “That gives me time to get a new supervisor. I’ll leave Heath and Henry in charge of any training needed.”

“A new supervisor huh?” Brax said. “Heath going to be assistant manager then?”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered as she put her hand on top of Brax’s as he continued to rub her bump. “He seemed genuinely chuffed at the offer,” Charlie answered with a yawn. “Who would have thought one day I would have left your brother in charge of my restaurant?” Charlie questioned.

Brax gave a little laugh. “I like that you two get on better these days,” Brax exhaled. “Just as long as you don’t start getting on to well.” Brax mumbled.

“No chance,” Charlie answered. “I’ve got the best Braxton for sure.” Charlie smiled before softly kissing his cheek.

“Well I sure am happy with your choice,” Brax gave a little laugh. “I’m just sorry that this has happened to me.” Brax exhaled.

“You’re still you,” Charlie smiled, believing that now more than ever. “Besides if it wasn’t for a certain someone you’d still have your sight.” Charlie said, anger in her tone.

Brax cleared his throat as he felt the baby kicking. “I’ve been thinking about names tonight,” Brax said once again moving the subject on from Bianca. “I know we’ve pretty much agreed on Maya for a girl now so how about for a boy, Joshua?” Brax questioned.

“I like it,” Charlie smiled. “But I also really like Noah’s suggestion of Thomas,” Charlie said. “Actually didn’t you have a cousin or uncle or some sort of relation called Thomas?” Charlie asked.

“He was an ‘uncle’,” Brax made quotation marks as he spoke. “Family friend for as long as I could remember. He was a fat jolly old guy with grey hair and a beard. Casey was only around Toby’s age when he was around and he’d call him Santa,” Brax gave a little laugh. “He always behaved if Thomas was in the house. Nice guy though,” Brax smiled fondly. “He actually gave me my first surf board,” Brax commented and Charlie looked to his face, seeing a sadness in his eyes. Of course surfing wasn’t really something Brax could do anymore. It was dangerous enough as it was, never mind being blind and surfing. Charlie rubbed his chest softly, placing another kiss on his cheek. “I miss the ocean.”

“We can go,” Charlie told him. “I think surfing is out of the question but we can have a day at the beach. The kids would love being in the water with you.”

“You trust me to do that?” Brax questioned.

“I’d trust you with anything Brax,” Charlie told him. “And you know Rubes and April can come. Heath can bring Katie and Freya for a fun day out. We can just have a fun family day out.”

“Put the crash in the past,” Brax said. “Start living this life I have now, still with my family by my side.”

“Mmm hmm,” Charlie gave a little nod. “We could do it next weekend. As we’ll be busy with work and interviews this weekend.”

“You’ve got people coming for interviews?” Brax questioned. “I thought you were going to go over CV’s with me so I had some input.” Brax sighed sadly.

“I am,” Charlie told him. “I have them here,” Charlie reached forward and picked up a pile. “Okay so the first one,” Charlie looked down to it. “From a girl called Faye Adams and her only restaurant experience is that she worked as a hostess in a Canberra restaurant for 6 months.” Charlie pursed her lips together, looking over the information on the paper in front of her.

“Doesn’t sound like she’d be ready to be a supervisor yet.” Brax said and Charlie agreed, laying it to one side and picking up the next CV’s reading it out for Brax so he could help with choosing their new supervisor.

Thank you for the comments. :)

Ninety-three

Heath walked into the office and put the CV’s down on the desk. Charlie picked them up and flicked through them quickly. “Paula, Jenny, Rose, Laura and Violet,” Charlie said looking back up to Heath who had a little grin on his face. “You picked 5 women.”

“Yeah fancy that happening,” Heath cleared his throat. “You asked for the best though so....” Heath trailed of, giving a little shrug as he held his hands out to the side. Charlie stifled a laugh before gesturing to the other chair kept in the corner of the room. Heath dragged it across and sat down at the opposite side of the desk to Charlie.

“These are the people Brax and I picked out.” Charlie pointed to her pile of CV’s and Heath picked them up, flicking through them.

“So are we interviewing 10 people?” Heath questioned.

“No right now we are going to cut this 10 down to 5 and they’ll be offered an interview.” Charlie told him and Heath gave a little nod.

“Before we start, can I ask you something?” Heath questioned. Charlie exhaled before looking questioningly to her brother in law.

“Sure, what is it?” Charlie questioned.

“How does....how does Brax feel about Bianca?” Heath questioned, Charlie noticing he was playing with his wedding ring as he spoke.

“Right now he doesn’t talk about her,” Charlie told him. “He’ll change the subject if she is mentioned. He’s clearly angry and with rights but...” Charlie pursed her lips together. “When does she get home?”

Heath gave another shrug. “She reckons she’ll be there another couple of weeks at least,” Heath answered. “I really miss Freya and....Katie seems like a little lost sheep half the time. She needs her mother.”

“I can’t be easy for her,” Charlie rubbed her stomach as she spoke, the baby now awake from napping and proceeding with kicking her mother. “She’s so young but April is great with her and she’s always got her auntie Charlie,” Charlie gave a little smile. “Brax and I are taking the kids to the beach next weekend. You and Katie should come.”

“Yeah that would be good,” Heath gave a smile. “Maybe I could do a barbeque lunch.”

“Sounds great,” Charlie smiled. “Obviously Noah can’t right now but Ella and Tobes have been asking to go surfing lately. It breaks Brax’s heart that he can’t take them out any more but I’m sure having his brother teach his kids would be the next best thing than doing it himself.”

“Ah yeah,” Heath grinned. “I’m the better surfer anyways eh.” Heath laughed.

“Ruby can surf better than you.” Charlie and Heath looked up to see Brax standing in the office doorway.

“Hey how did you get here?” Charlie questioned, watching as Heath got to his feet and led his brother over to the chair, helping him sit down.

“I drove,” Brax answered. “Think I hit a sheep and a few mailboxes on the way though,” Brax said and Heath started to laugh as he leaned down against the desk. She’s making that face, isn’t she?” Brax questioned and Heath looked to Charlie and laughed again.

“What, I’m not making any face.” Charlie said.

“You making the ‘I’m not impressed with that comment’ face,” Brax exhaled. “C’mon babe it’s better I joke about it, no?” Brax questioned.

“Of course,” Charlie answered as Toby came running into the office, his arm outs to the side, like he was pretending to fly. “Hey buddy, how was Kindy?”

“Daddy said we will eat lunch here,” Toby said, still flying around the office, ignoring his mothers question. “Melanie drove us,” Toby told his mother. “They gots me from Kindy and said pizza for lunch.” Toby flew around his uncle in circles.

“You an airplane today?” Heath questioned.

“No,” Toby stopped what he was doing and looked up to Heath, looking shocked at the stupidity of Heath’s question. “I am Spideyman. He flying to help someone.”

“I see,” Heath exhaled. “Didn’t think he could fly.”

“Yes,” Toby told him. “He use his spidey web.” Toby said before running back out of the room, Charlie looking out to see him climbing up onto the booth seat, sitting next to Melanie.

“So, will you join us for lunch?” Brax questioned.

“As long as you are paying bro.” Heath said, slapping his brother’s shoulder.

“I was talking to my wife,” Brax told him. “You could serve us though eh.” Brax said before he stood up. Charlie looked to Heath who gave a little nod.

“Go eat lunch with them,” Heath told her. “We can do this later.” Heath said and Charlie gave him a little smile before walking out of the office with Brax to eat lunch with him, their son and their nanny.

The kids had spent most of the morning in the ocean with Heath and Ruby showing them how to surf. April having been persuaded to give surfing a go so she was trying but just got frustrated that a newly turned 7 year old, a 4 year old and an almost 4 year old were better than her. Brax and Charlie just relaxed on the beach, Charlie telling Brax how well their kids were doing as well as Noah filling Brax in on Toby’s skills. He sure was going to be the best surfer out them, not that that surprised them. Toby was great at everything he tried. After surfing and some swimming, Heath got the barbeque going and everyone was filling their stomachs with burgers, sausages and kebabs. “Daddy did you see me?” Toby asked, some ketchup falling out of his burger and sliding down his chin.

“No he wouldn’t have.” Ella sighed as Charlie handed her son a napkin. Toby stared down at it before putting his burger onto the paper plate and blowing his nose.

“It’s for your chin bud.” Charlie stifled a laugh. Toby furrowed his eyebrows before wiping the ketchup from his chin.

“So you didn’t see me daddy?” Toby pouted sadly.

“No buddy, remember daddy can’t see anymore,” Brax told him, reaching for his drink but knocking his hand against April’s leg instead. April looked down before picking up his drink and putting in his hand. “Thanks.” Brax spoke quietly before taking a drink.

“Still?” Toby sighed sadly.

“He will be forevers now,” Ella also sighed sadly. “Cos of the crash that broke Noah’s leg.”

“Will he be broken forever too?” Katie questioned as she coloured in a part of Noah’s cast as she held her sausage roll in her other hand. Rolo sniffing close to her, liking the look of her food.

“Rolo no.” Katie tapped the end of his nose. Rolo looked to her sadly before running over to Charlie, sitting down and resting his head on her leg. Charlie put her hand out and clapped him.

“No, he won’t have a broken leg forever,” Charlie answered. “He’ll get his cast of after maybe 6 weeks.”

“That’s so long away.” Noah sighed, clearly annoyed with his broken leg. More so today because he was missing out on the fun in the water with everyone.

“Aw but you want your leg heal right?” April said and Noah nodded. “You can show me how to surf once it’s all better because you’re Uncle Heath and big sister are doing a rubbish job so far.” April said, looking to Ruby with a cheek grin.

Noah gave a little giggle. “I will April,” Noah nodded. “I will do that for you, really.” Noah smiled sweetly at her before batting his eyelashes a few times.

“Good. It’s a date.” April said and Noah went red before looking down shyly.

“Right kids if you are all finished eating how about we go in the water?” Brax said as he stood up.

“Yeah,” Ella screeched as she jumped up. “Go with daddy.” Ella danced around excitedly. She started to walk towards the water, gently pushing Brax’s arm so he was walking in the right direction.

“I’m coming daddy,” Toby jumped up, his burger being flung down onto the sand. “It gonna be so fun,” Toby sang. “Spidey web go,” Toby lifted his palm up towards the sky before jumping down to the water like he was spiderman going from web to web. Charlie glanced at Heath and he gave a little nod before standing up and running down after them.

“Watch out for Uncle Heath.” Heath wrapped an arm around Toby’s stomach from behind, his other wrapping around Ella. The kids giggled as Heath flung them over his shoulders as he ran down into the ocean with them, dunking them both under.

“Daddy’s silly.” Katie giggled as she cuddled close to Charlie, her head resting against Charlie’s bump.

“He is, isn’t he?” Charlie ran her hand through Katie’s ponytail before watching as Brax and Heath splashed water over Ella and Toby, Ella and Toby giggling as they started splashing around too. She smiled as she saw the look of joy on Brax’s face before looking to Noah and smiling.

“Daddy’s being fun,” Noah said. “I like to see him smile.”

“So does mummy buddy.” Charlie said before once again looking to her husband having fun with his children.

Thank you Spotd1, Sarah, Red Ranger 1 and Zoe for the comments. :)

Ninety-four

Charlie and Noah were walking down the corridor in the hospital, Noah having been in his cast for 3 weeks now, was quick on his crutches and Charlie, being heavily pregnant, was struggling to keep up with him. “Noah buddy,” Charlie winced as she rubbed her stomach, feeling a little discomfort. “Not so fast.” Charlie said. Noah sighed before he stopped walking and turned his head to look at his mother.

“I’m normal walking mum,” Noah exhaled. “You’re just to fat now.”

“Eh excuse me?” Charlie cocked her head to the side.

“Cos of the baby,” Noah explained. “That’s why you are fat. You not normally.” Noah said and Charlie smiled at her son before walking again, Noah taking his time so he was still walking with her. They reached the waiting area and were about to sit down when the nurse called out Noah’s name, Charlie glad she didn’t have to sit down just to get up again shortly after. They walked into the room and Noah took a seat, Charlie sitting down next to him.

“Hey Noah, how are you today?” The nurse smiled down at him.

“Good,” Noah answered. “I get to miss school.” Noah gave a grin.

“You shouldn’t be happy about that bud,” Charlie winced once again, running her over her stomach. “You need to go to school to learn so you can get a good job.” The nurse watched Charlie before looking back to Noah.

“Mum,” Noah exhaled. “I’m going to work in the restaurant.” Noah said and Charlie managed a little laugh.

“Well still I think we need to get you to school today so what I’m going to do is take this cast off for you and you can give that leg an itch as I bet its bothering you huh?” The nurse said and Noah gave a little nod. “Then we’ll take an X-ray of your leg to see how it’s healing and hopefully I am able to put a small cast on for you, how does that sound?”

“Is this when I get my coloured cast?” Noah asked.

“Sure it can be any colour you like.” The nurse smiled before once again noticing the discomfort on Charlie’s face.

“Uhm green,” Noah told her. “No no,” Noah shook his head. “Blue, that’s my favourite,” Noah smiled. “But I like green. Hmmm,” Noah scratched the side of his head. “Green...blue.....green, no blue....oh I don’t know.” Noah slapped his palm against his face.

“You have time to decide,” The nurse laughed. “Are you okay?” The nurse looked to Charlie as she spoke.

“I’m fine,” Charlie rubbed her stomach as she answered. “Just a bit of Braxton Hicks.”

“Are you sure?” The nurse questioned. “You look very uncomfortable and like you are in pain.”

“This is my fifth child,” Charlie told her. “I know Braxton Hicks from real labour.”

“When are you due?” The nurse asked.

“Uh,” Charlie rubbed her forehead. “8 days.”

The nurse pursed her lips together. “Well I think we should still get you checked out, just to be safe.”

“Okay,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “You get Noah all sorted first and if I am still in discomfort after that then I’ll go see my doctor, is that okay?” Charlie questioned.

“Sure,” The nurse answered, before looking down to Noah. “This might feel a little tickly when I take the cast off, okay?” The nurse said and Noah giggled as he nodded. “Oh he’s laughing already.” The nurse laughed before making a start to taking Noah’s cast off for him.

April sat at the edge of the pool, her legs dangling in the water. It was April’s day off from placement and Ruby finished uni at 12, so they’d met at the lap pool by the beach. “Aww aren’t you going to come in?” Ruby pouted as she swam back to her and stood between her legs, April wrapping them around Ruby.

“Not right now,” April answered. Ruby gave a cheeky grin before putting her hands around April’s waist and pulling her in with her sending her girlfriend right under the water. “Ahhh,” April gasped a she surfaced, moving her hair back from in front of her face. “Cheeky.” April slapped Ruby’s shoulder as she laughed at her.

“It’s so much nicer in here,” Ruby said wrapping her arms around April and placing a soft kiss on her lips. “See you get to do that.” Ruby pulled her lips away from her girlfriend only far enough to talk before kissing her once again.

“Mmm that is true,” April pulled back and looked into Ruby’s deep green eyes and smiled. Every day she saw her girlfriend it was like she was loved her even more. “What?” April questioned, seeing Ruby looked now looked distracted. She looked to where Ruby was looking and saw Romeo walking hand in hand with Sophie, the girl he was now dating. “Still won’t divorce you?”

Ruby shook her head. “I don’t get it. He’s clearly moved on,” Ruby sighed. “At the end of the day him not divorcing me is doing more harm to him than me. He’s the one who’s allowed to marry again and unless he plans on bigamy then...” Ruby trailed off. “I just want to end the connection I still have with him,” Ruby sighed. “I know it doesn’t really affect us being an us, but....you know what I mean, right?”

“Of course,” April nodded. “And you know just because it’s not legal here doesn’t mean we can’t get married,” April told her. “We can hop over the Tasman and marry in New Zealand. It’s legal there now.”

“Our marriage won’t be seen as legal here though,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “When I marry you I want it to be recognised here, in our homeland.”

“Well we’ll just have to keep our fingers and toes crossed then.” April said before placing another kiss on her girlfriend’s lips.

“No,” Katie squealed as she ran around the couch away from Toby. “No Toby.”

“Yes I get you.” Toby was wearing his spiderman outfit, saying he was going to trap Katie in his spidey web.

“Daddy.” Katie ran around the couch again before jumping up to the couch and cuddling into Heath.

Toby frowned, sad that the game seemed to be over. He looked to Katie who was grinning, now safe in father’s arms. “It’s just pretend,” Heath rubbed Katie’s back. “He doesn’t really have a spider web.”

“Oh,” Katie moved her hair from in front of her face. “Well it’s not fun pretend.” Katie shook her head.

“Spideyman isn’t pretend,” Toby scowled as he climbed up onto the couch and onto Brax’s knee. “Aye no daddy. He’s be real?” Toby said, putting his hands onto Brax’s cheeks.

“Yeah he’s in the movies and comic books.” Brax answered and Toby stuck his tongue out at Katie.

“You don’t ‘ave his web,” Katie stuck her tongue out at Toby just as there was a knock at the door, before it opened and Katie gasped as she saw Bianca and Freya at the other side. “Mummy.” Katie jumped down from Heath’s knee as he looked to his brother, seeing an uncomfortable look on his face.

“Hey sweetheart.” Bianca put the car seat down on the floor, just in time as Katie banged into her and tightly wrapped her arms around her mother’s neck. Bianca lifted Katie up as she kissed her temple.

“I didn’t think you were coming home until tomorrow,” Heath said walking over to her and bending down, lifting his daughter out of the car seat. “I was supposed to pick you up then, right?”

“Yeah but they said I could leave today if I wanted to,” Bianca answered. “I tried calling you but you there was no answer here or on your cell so I took a taxi.”

Heath rubbed the back of his head. “Must have been when I was picking these two up from Kindy,” Heath said, looking down to Freya as he held her, Freya snuggled up against her father. “Cell phone loses signal for a bit on the way there.”

“Yeah,” Bianca cleared her throat before she looked to Brax. “Hey, Brax,” Bianca’s tone was quiet and sorry sounding. “How uhm....” She cleared her throat once again. “How are you?”

Brax gave a little snigger before pushing on Toby. “Stand up bud,” Brax said and Toby did as he was requested and jumped down from Brax’s knee. “Heath can you take us home?” Brax asked.

“Of course,” Heath gave a little nod before looking to Bianca. Katie was still hugging tightly onto her and Heath knew that Bianca would be fine and Katie would be safe to stay with her. “I’m going to take Freya.”

“Heath I’ll be okay.” Bianca told him.

Heath looked unsure. “She’s coming with me.” Heath put her back into the car seat before lifting it up and walking out of the house with Brax and Toby to take them home.

Thank you Red Ranger 1, Sarah and Zoe for the comments. :)

Ninety-five

“Boo.” Toby jumped into the living room where Charlie was laying down on the couch, her hands resting on her bump.

“Toby,” Charlie gasped. “Don’t give mummy a fright like that right now.”

“I not Toby,” Toby said, running over to her and kissing her cheek. “I Spideyman, see.” Toby hit his Spiderman outfit.

“Well spideyman,” Charlie pushed herself up to sitting. “Don’t give me a fright like that.” Charlie said. Toby frowned before he looked to Rolo.

“Mon Rolo,” Toby gestured for him to come with him. “I get you some biscuits.”

“Don’t give him to many,” Charlie shouted as Toby and Rolo ran through to the kitchen, just as Heath, Brax and Freya came into the room. “What happened to their play date?” Charlie questioned.

“Bianca happened.” Brax answered before walking across the room and sitting down next to Charlie, his hand immediately finding her bump.

“I thought she was coming home tomorrow.” Charlie gestured to the chair and Heath sat down with Freya in his arms, Freya’s eyes taking in the room.

“Me too,” Heath said. “But she’s home....I.....Brax what do you...” Heath trailed off not sure how to phrase it.

“She’s your wife,” Brax exhaled. “The mother of your children. For your girls you can....I want you to make it work for your girls. They deserve their parents together and I know that you feel conflicted right now but deep down you love her dearly and I know you want to forgive her,” Brax said and Heath gave a weak smile before glancing at Charlie. “Just don’t expect me too,” Brax told them. “I’ll see you all the time still, Heath. Well no, I won’t see you but I...well you know what I mean. Just don’t expect me to be there when she is though,” Brax exhaled. “But you, Charlie, I....” Brax shook his head. “I don’t want you to be friends with her anymore. She caused this for me. She’s the reason I will never see this baby,” Brax sounded like he was tearing up as he rubbed her stomach. “She’s the reason we need to do things differently and you don’t need a friend like that.”

“Right.” Charlie pursed her lips together. Of course she’d miss her best friend but if the choice was her husband or her best friend, Brax would always come first.

“Are you okay with that?” Brax questioned.

“If it’s what you want then I respect that.” Charlie exhaled sadly before wincing a little, running her hand over her stomach.

“Whoa Charlie,” Heath stood up. “Is everything okay?”

“It’s just Braxton Hicks,” Charlie told them. “I’ve had them on and off all day.”

“Are you sure that’s all is it?” Brax said, sounding concerned.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “When I had Noah at the hospital this morning the doctor checked me over. He just told me to rest today.”

“Is Rubes home?” Brax questioned.

“No, she’s out with April,” Charlie answered. “Why?”

“I’d rather not be left alone with you in case anything happens,” Brax exhaled. “I’m not exactly able to drive you to the hospital, am I?” Brax sighed.

“I’ll stay for a while,” Heath said and he saw Charlie glancing at him. “I know I need to talk it out with Bianca but I just need a bit more time. I’ll stay till Rubes gets back.” Heath told them.

“I appreciate that bro.” Brax gave a thankful smile as Toby came running back into the room.

“Rolo wants a walk,” Toby said. “He keep going to door.”

Charlie looked to her watch. “It is about time he was out again actually.” Charlie said.

“We can take him huh, buddy?” Heath stood up from the chair. “Some nice fresh air for Freya and we can take a ball for Rolo huh?” Heath said and Toby nodded as he ran over to the dog’s bed and picked up the red ball next to it, Rolo’s favourite toy. “I have my cell with me and I won’t go too far just in case.” Heath said and Charlie smiled appreciatively before Heath, Freya and Toby left to go for a walk with the dog.

Heath walked back into the house. He put Freya down in the moses basket before looking up to see Bianca leaning against the archway to the kitchen, her arms folded. “You’ve been a long time.”

“Yeah,” Heath cleared his throat. “Uhm Charlie was having bad Braxton Hicks and Rubes wasn’t home. I didn’t want to leave her with Brax in case she needed driven to the hospital. Cos you know Brax can’t drive since you turned him blind.”

Bianca pursed her lips together as she bowed her head down. “It wasn’t my intention.”

“No, you just wanted to kill our baby and maybe yourself, who knows?” Heath remarked as he held his hands out to the side.

Bianca looked back up to her husband. “I uhm, I made you steak and chips for dinner. Your favourite,” Bianca exhaled. “It’s probably cold and dried out now. It’ll be ruined.”

“I ate at Charlie’s,” Heath answered. “And what, you think you can come home, make me my favourite dinner and all is forgiven?” Heath stifled a laugh as he shook his head. “Not going to happen that way.”

“I don’t expect it to,” Bianca spoke quietly. “I know what I did could be seen as unforgivable but you need to take into account that I was sick. I had PND and I would never harm my daughter, Brax, Noah or anyone intentionally. Do you think I feel good about the fact I caused Brax’s blindness?” Bianca questioned, hitting her hand against her chest. “I hate myself for what I’ve done. When I think about those kids and that unborn child I...” Bianca stopped talking as her eyes welled up with tears.

Heath exhaled as he watched her wiping away a tear that rolled down her cheek. “I know you wouldn’t harm anyone intentionally,” Heath took a few steps closer to her. “But right now, I....” Heath shook his head. “It’s going to take time, Bianca.”

“I know,” Bianca gave a little nod. “I don’t expect to be forgiven immediately. I just want to know that you want to work at us,” Bianca sniffed back. “Because losing you is the last thing I want.”

“We are a family,” Heath told her. “Me, you and our two little girls,” Heath said. “And being the best parents we can be to them is the most important thing in the world.” Heath looked down to the moses basket as Freya stirred a little.

“She uhm...she’ll need a feed.” Bianca said and Heath gave a little nod. He glanced a Freya again before looking to Bianca.

“I’ll make the bottle up.” Heath walked passed Bianca and into the kitchen as Bianca looked to the moses basket. She took a deep breath before walking over and picking her daughter up, placing a soft kiss on her forehead before looking into her eyes as Freya started up at her mother. Heath turned to watch and a small smile crept on his face at the sight of Bianca looking lovingly down to her daughter. He knew it would most probably take a while to get back to what they had but he couldn’t imagine a life without Bianca in it.

Charlie woke up as a pain shot through her body. “Brax,” Charlie hit his arm. “Brax.” Charlie said again as she shook him.

“Hmm, what is it?” Brax asked sleepily.

“It’s the baby,” Charlie held onto her stomach as she sat up. “It’s not Braxton Hicks anymore.” Charlie winced as she grabbed tightly onto Brax’s arm, squeezing it as she had a contraction.

“Ruby,” Brax shouted as he got out of bed. “Ruby,” Brax shouted again, feeling his way out of the bedroom to the hallway. “Rubes.”

“Daddy why are you shouting?” Ella peaked her head out of her bedroom door. “It’s the middle of the night.”

“The baby is coming.” Brax said as he knocked on Ruby’s bedroom door. A moment later the door opened.

“Brax, what’s wrong?” Ruby questioned, putting her hand up to stop Brax’s hand as it was making to knock on the door again, almost hitting Ruby in the face.

“Mum is having the baby,” Ella shrieked as she ran down the hall and into her parents’ bedroom, finding Charlie getting herself out of bed. “Is it a girl?” Ella asked excitedly.

“It’s not quiet out yet,” Charlie’s breathing was heavy as Ruby and Brax came into the room, April also getting woken and walking in behind Ruby. “Rubes I need you to drive us to the hospital.”

“Sure yeah,” Ruby rubbed her tired eyes. “Uhm, just let me quickly change out of my pj’s.” Ruby said as she ran out of the room as Ella helped Brax to get some clothes to wear to the hospital.

“Can I come too?” Ella asked.

“No,” Brax told her. “You need to go back to bed.” Brax said as he put his sweat pants on over his boxers before taking his t-shirt from Ella.

“Aww.” Ella pouted sadly.

“C’mon,” April gestured for Ella to go with her. “I’ll take you then when you wake up in the morning maybe you will have a little brother or sister to go visit.”

“I will never sleep now.” Ella sighed.

“I’ll tell you a little story.” April held her hand out and Ella walked over to her and left the room with her just as Ruby came back through, zipping a thin purple hoodie up over her singlet.

“Where’s the hospital bag?” Ruby questioned.

“War-drobe,” Charlie answered, clutching onto her stomach even tighter. Ruby ran over and took it from the bottom of the wardrobe before leaving the house to drive Charlie and Brax to the hospital.

Thank you Red Ranger 1, CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments. :)

Ninety-six

Ruby was waiting outside of the hospital room, her head falling every now and then as she struggled to keep her eyes open. A midwife – who’d just walked out of the room – walked up to her and put her hand onto her shoulder. This startled Ruby into sitting up straight. “Has she had the baby already?” Ruby asked. They’d only been in the hospital about an hour, so if it had arrived it would have been a very quick labour.

“No,” The midwife shook her head. “But it’ll be very soon, I’m sure. She’s already at 8 centimetres dilated,” The midwife told her. “Looks like little Braxton wants to see this world and quickly,” She gave a little laugh. “Look room 406 is free, why don’t you go have a little sleep?” The midwife suggested. “I’ll come get you once your mother has had the baby.”

“Don’t you need the room for pregnant people?” Ruby gave a yawn.

The midwife laughed. “It’s mostly used as a family room,” The midwife said. “Sometimes labour can be a very long process.”

“Yeah, she was 37 hours with Tobes.” Ruby answered.

“Well looks like this one is going to balance that out,” The midwife said. “I don’t even think she’ll reach two hours.” Ruby raised her eyebrows before yawning again.

“So this room,” Ruby questioned. “It’s this way?” Ruby pointed down the hall.

“This way,” The midwife pointed in the other direction and Ruby gave a little smile as she stood up and walked towards the room. The midwife walked back into the room to check on the progress Charlie was making. Charlie was breathing through a contraction as she walked back in, her hand tightly gripping Brax’s t-shirt, so it was scrunched up at the bottom, Brax lightly rubbing a damp cloth on her forehead. “How you feeling?” The midwife questioned.

“Right now I am wondering why this is the fifth time I’m doing this.” Charlie answered.

The midwife chuckled a little. “Once you hold your child in your arms it’ll be all worth it.”

“Well this is the last time for sure.” Charlie felt another contraction coming on.

“Well you’re 9 centimetres so not much longer till you can start pushing.” The midwife said.

“And that’s the worst part,” Charlie breathed out loudly. “Baby I don’t want the cloth anymore,” Charlie put her hand up and took it from Brax’s grasp, throwing it to the floor. “Oh God,” Charlie took Brax’s hand into hers. Although Brax was present at the birth of the twins and Toby, this felt very new to him. With not being able to see, he felt he couldn’t help as much, of course there wasn’t much he could do anyways but be there for Charlie, hold her hand, maybe her leg when it came time to push. He kept thinking about when the baby was born and that he’d need to ask what they had and that killed him. He almost wished the labour would last longer so he didn’t need to utter that question. He was in the room; he shouldn’t need to ask what the baby was. “I need to push. I feel like I need to push.”

The midwife checked again and gave a little nod as she looked to Charlie. “You can push.” The midwife told her and Charlie dug her chin into her chest, her teeth bared together as she pushed as best she could.

“You can do this sweetheart.” Came Brax’s words of encouragement. He leaned down to kiss her, aiming for her forehead but Charlie rested her head back so he kissed the tip of her nose instead. Charlie gave a few more big pushes before taking a moment to catch her breath.

“A few more pushes and you’ll see your baby,” The midwife smiled encouragingly. Charlie once again dug her chin into her chest, giving a long big push. “One more is all you’ll need.” The midwife told her and Charlie pushed as hard as she could before the sounds of crying could be heard in the room. She rested herself back against the pillows catching her breath as the midwife cut the cord and placed the baby onto Charlie’s chest.

Brax listened for a moment, hearing the midwife saying the baby was beautiful and of course congratulation and well done to Charlie. “What do we have?” Brax questioned, hearing his child’s cries amongst the darkness that he saw.

Charlie looked down to her baby as she felt herself welling up, emotions getting to her. “A son,” Charlie told him. “We have another son. Another gorgeous little boy.”

Bianca put the egg on the table in front of Katie. She knocked the top off and Katie picked up a solider of toast and dipped it in, her yolk nice and runny. “Daddy didn’t do a runny ‘olk.” Katie sighed, putting the toast into her mouth and taking a bite.

“Aww well mummy is back now so you’ll get your runny yolks again.” Bianca ruffled Katie’s hair.

“It’s not my fault the egg timer is dodgy.” Heath muttered as he buttered his toast.

“There’s nothing wrong with the egg timer,” Bianca told him. “Just when you are in the kitchen things tend to go wrong.” Bianca gave a little laugh, trying to lighten the tension between the two of them but Heath just glared at her.

“Yeah because you are our own little Jamie Oliver right enough.” Heath muttered.

“I know I’m not the best cook either,” Bianca sighed. “But at least I try.”

Heath opened his mouth to reply but was cut off when Katie spoke. “It’s April.” Katie waved, greeting her auntie as she walked into the house.

“Hey pumpkin,” April placed a kiss on her head before picking up a solider of her toast and stealing a bite. Katie gasped before pulling her plate closer to her. “Nice to see you home.” April gave her sister a hug.

“It’s good to be home.” Bianca said quietly.

“So, has Brax called you yet?” April said looking to Heath. Heath shook his head as he took a drink of his orange juice. “Charlie went into labour in the early hours of this morning. Little boy was born at 4.35am.” April told them.

“Aww that’s great news.” Heath smiled.

“I could have sworn she was going to have a girl,” Bianca gave a little laugh. “Show’s how wrong I was.”

“Ella was hoping for a sister,” April said. “Don’t know how pleased she’ll be when she finds out she has another little brother.”

“So, they don’t even know yet?” Bianca looked a little confused.

“Rubes and I were going to tell them over breakfast but they wanted it to be a surprise when they go to the hospital to see Charlie and the baby after school.” April told them.

“Can I see the baby?” Katie questioned, looking to her father.

“Yeah how about after Kindy I take you?” Heath said and Katie grinned as she nodded her head, excited at the thought of going to see the baby.

“I’d like to go,” Bianca said. “We could all go together, right?” Bianca questioned as she looked to her husband.

“I really don’t think you will be welcome there.” Heath said and Bianca exhaled sadly.

“Anyways, Rubes and the kids are waiting in the car. I just have to grab a book for placement,” April said before running through to her room, returning moments later with a big, thick textbook in her hand. “Look Bianca,” April pursed he lips together. “Maybe when they are at the hospital me and you could go do something. Grab lunch at the diner or something. I finish placement at 2 so it would be a late lunch, maybe I could meet you at 2.30?” April said and Bianca gave her sister a thankful smile.

“That would be good.” Bianca told her.

“Great. I’ll see you later.” April said before running from the house and getting back into the car with Ruby and the kids.

Thank you Zoe, Red Ranger 1, Spotd1, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sabrina for the comments. :)

Ninety-seven

Charlie was holding her son in her arms, staring down at him. “He’s so precious.” Charlie smiled before looking up to Brax.

“Does he....” Brax pursed his lips together, his hand finding the top of his head and cupping it softly. “Does he look like me or you?” Brax asked, desperate to try to think of what his son may be like.

“You remember what Noah was like when he was born?” Charlie questioned and Brax gave a nod. “He’s so much like Noah. He takes after you, Brax. He has the same soft green eyes as you. He’s....he’s so much like you and Noah.”

Brax gave a little smile. “I wish I could see him.” Charlie heard the break in Brax’s voice. She saw he was trying to be strong, but knew this must be killing him.

“I know,” Charlie exhaled. “Me too, but....but you could hold him. Snuggle him close to you.”

“I don’t want drop him,” Brax shared his worries. “What if I.....what if something happens when I am holding him? I can’t see to protect him.” Charlie looked down to her son before looking back to her husband.

“I’m right here beside you,” Charlie told him. “And besides, you’ve had enough practise with our little army of offspring that being blind isn’t going to phase you with this one,” Charlie said and Brax stifled a laugh. “He needs a hug from his daddy.”

“Okay,” Brax took a deep breath before holding his arms out like he already had a baby in his arms. Charlie placed their son into his arms, moving his arm up ever so slightly so he was protecting his head. She smiled as she saw a look of pure joy on his face, his eyes lighting up as he looked to his son. She didn’t think she’d see that glow in his eyes anymore, but him holding his newborn son, proved her wrong. She put her hand onto her chest as she felt herself getting emotional. “God it’s always overwhelming the first time you hold your child but this is.....it’s even more so.” Brax’s grin was from ear to ear, feeling his son’s little chest moving up and down against him. Charlie leaned down and took the camera that had been brought from the bedside table.

“I need to get a picture of this moment,” Charlie told him and Brax looked up to Charlie, smiling for the camera. “No, no, look at him,” Charlie said. “Just keep looking at him like that.” Charlie took a deep breath to try to get her emotions under control before clicking the camera, taking some picture of the special moment of father and son’s first moment together.

April walked into the diner, seeing Bianca sitting waiting on her. She quickened her pace and joined her sister at the table. “Sorry I’m late.” April put her book down on the spare seat next to her. It was nearly 10 to 3 and they were supposed to be meeting at 2.30.

“It’s fine,” Bianca exhaled. “How was placement?”

“Horrible,” April sighed. “I’m with the Oncology department for the first few months,” April looked up to Bianca who was pulling a face in confusion. “Cancer doctors,” April said. “Anyways, I had to tell the parents of a 4 year old that his cancer was terminal,” April exhaled sadly. “I am not being an Oncologist that’s for sure,” April said. “Anyways, where’s Freya?” April questioned, expecting her niece to be there. “I thought you’d have brought her out.”

“She’s with Heath,” Bianca answered sadly. “He doesn’t trust me with her on my own.”

“Just give him some time,” April leaned forward and gave Bianca’s hand a comforting squeeze. “Besides it’s kinda nice being just me and you,” April gave a little smile. “It’s been so long since we’ve had some sisterly bonding time.”

“Yeah,” Bianca forced a smile as she played with her wedding ring. “Just wasn’t entirely on my own though, right?” Bianca said. “I mean, your here.”

“Yeah but,” April pursed her lips together. “He knows being around her is hard for me right now. I would have been due soon if I kept the baby and....” April trailed off.

“Oh God I’m sorry,” Bianca put her hand onto her chest. “Do you want to talk about it?”

April shook her head. “What about you?” April questioned. “You want to get anything off your chest?” April said, sensing her sister wanted to open up to someone, most likely her.

“He’s making me sleep in your room right now.” Bianca pursed her lips together.

“Yeah I uhm....I thought the bed looked slept in when I got my book this morning,” April spoke quietly. “But it’s you two. It might be hard for a while but things will get back to normal.”

“I really hope so,” Bianca felt herself tearing up. “God I hope so April.” Bianca said, before taking a deep breath to compose herself.

Ruby went straight to the hospital after picking up the kids from school. Toby bolted into the room first, followed by Ella, while Noah came in still on his crutches with Ruby walking in last. “Is it a girl then?” Ella questioned. “Did I get a sister?”

“Guys, this is Luca Thomas Braxton.” Charlie said looking down to the little cot where her son was sleeping.

“Oh,” Toby gasped as he stood on his tiptoes and looked into the cot to his new brother, Toby holding a little monkey teddy for him. “Hello Luca I’s Toby,” Toby gave him a big grin and Charlie smiled at him. “I’s you big brother.”

“You put Thomas in,” Noah looked really pleased with his little brother’s name. “Luca Thomas is a great name,” Noah looked into the cot from standing behind Toby. “He’s so cute,” Noah said. “He’s like me and daddy right?”

“He sure is,” Ruby said. “Aww can I hold him?” Ruby looked to Charlie who nodded. Ruby picked him up, Luca not waking from his sleep.

“I’s next.” Toby held both hands in the air as he followed Ruby to the second chair and stood over his baby brother looking down in awe.

“What do you think, Petal?” Charlie said, looking to Ella. “You are awfully quiet.”

“I wanted a sister,” Ella started to cry. “I really didn’t want another brother.” Ella folded her arms across her chest as she scowled before leaning herself against the wall, looking down to the floor.

“Aww sweetheart I’m sorry,” Charlie told her. “But he’s really cute, right? And you are going to be such a great big sister to him.”

“No I won’t be,” Ella continued to look down to the floor, a tear rolling down her cheek as she chose to stay in the huff. Charlie sighed, choosing not to push at it right now. “Stupid baby.” Ella muttered before walking over to Brax and sitting on his knee, Brax placing a kiss on the side of her head as he rubbed her back.

“So, how did you come up with the name?” Ruby questioned. “I love it.”

“It jumped out at me when I was looking through the baby names book,” Charlie said, gesturing to the book on the bedside table. “And it really fitted for us,” Charlie smiled. “Luca means bringer of light and when Brax was holding him, his whole face just lit up, so it’s...it just felt like that was the name for him.”

“You should also tell her your strange name matching thingy I had to listen too.” Brax said, his face screwing up. Ruby looked to Charlie questioningly.

“It’s not stupid, it’s...well okay maybe it does sound a little stupid,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Okay, so obviously you are called Ruby and then we have Ella, Noah and Toby and coincidentally they are all 4 letter names. Ruby and Toby are both Y ending and Ella and Noah both end in the ‘ah’ sound. Luca obviously fits with the 4 letter thing and has the ‘ah’ sound and the end. It feels like it was meant to be.” Charlie said and Ruby rolled her eyes.

“I thought you didn’t believe in coincidences?” Ruby said, gently rubbing Luca’s back as she held him.

“Well in this case it was a coincidence,” Charlie said. “We didn’t plan on having a system for naming our kids. It’s just the way it happened.”

“Until Luca.” Brax said. Ella still cuddling in to him, looking disappointed that her new sibling was a brother.

“No I didn’t pick Luca because of that reason,” Charlie said. “Again it was just a lucky coincidence.”

“Well for whatever reason that made you pick it, it’s a great name,” Ruby said. “Hmm little Luca. You’ve got awesome parents and an even more awesome big sister,” Ruby gave a cheeky grin. “You come to me for pointers when it’s time to rebel alright bud?”

“He’ll do no such thing.” Brax said and Ruby laughed.

“Can I hold Luca Thomas now?” Noah questioned. “Please. It’s my turn.”

“No,” Toby squealed. “I’m firstest,” Toby slapped his chest. “Mummy let me.” Toby jumped up in the air.

“Come sit up here then.” Charlie patted the bed as she moved to the side a little. Toby ran over and climbed up onto her bed, Ruby standing up from the seat and placing Luca down into his arms.

“Wow,” Toby grinned as he looked to his baby brother. “He’s no heavy,” Toby shook his head. “Mummy take the monkey.” Toby looked up to Charlie before looking back to his brother. Charlie took the monkey from him and leaned down, placing it in the cot, before looking down to Toby, who was clearly besotted with his baby brother. She smiled as she ran her hand through his curly brown locks before gesturing to the camera, Ruby picking it up and beginning to snap shots of Charlie and Toby with Luca.

Thank you Sarah, Red Ranger 1, Zoe and Spotd1 for the comments. :wub:

Ninety-eight

Charlie and Luca got home the next morning. After picking up Toby from Kindy for Charlie, Heath was over at the house, Freya and Katie there with him. “Can I change him nappy?” Toby asked looking down at his brother as his uncle Heath was having a cuddle. Rolo was sitting close to Luca, he had been since his arrival at the house that morning but Charlie wasn’t worried. Rolo was just checking him out and it seemed he liked him.

“He doesn’t need his nappy changed,” Charlie said. “But I’ll remember that offer for next time,” Charlie looked surprised that Toby had volunteered himself to change a nappy. Charlie smiled at her son before looking down to Freya who was in her arms. “Although...I think this one is wet.”

“Oh I get it.” Katie ran over to the nappy bag and pulled out a clean nappy and the wipes as Toby grabbed a blanket from the couch and laid it out on the floor.

“Put her here mummy.” Toby said, patting down the white blanket with little blue and grey elephants on it. Charlie walked over and lay Freya down.

“You want me to take over?” Heath questioned, feeling a little bad that although Freya was his daughter, it was Charlie who was about to change her nappy.

“No, it’s fine,” Charlie undid the poppers on her baby grow. “Beside I have two little helpers,” Charlie looked from Toby to Katie. “Katie you want to pull these tabs?” Charlie said, pointing to the tabs and Katie nodded as she pulled them, opening the nappy.

“Oh mummy,” Toby gasped as he put his palms on his cheeks, looking utterly shocked. “Oh no.”

“What’s wrong buddy?” Charlie looked to her son, bemused.

“Where’s her willy?” Toby questioned and Charlie looked up as Heath and Brax laughed from sitting on the chairs.

“Girls don’t have willy’s.” Charlie said as she pulled some wipes from the pack and Toby took them straight from her and wiped Katie’s bum as Charlie held her legs up for him.

“Then she can’t pee.” Toby gasped.

Once again there was laughter from the men. “Yes we do,” Katie told him. “We pee from here.” Katie pointed to her area.

“From what?” Toby wondered.

“From their vag -” Heath started to talk but Charlie cut him off.

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “We don’t pee from there,” Charlie glanced at Heath before looking back to her son. “Bud, boys and girls are different down there, okay?” Charlie told him. “Boys have willy’s and girls don’t. But we can still pee, okay?”

“Oh, okay.” Toby gave a little nod before looking down at Freya and smiling at her as she looked up at him, her arms shaking as she babbled in excitement.

“What’s a willy look like?” Katie questioned. Charlie pursed her lips together as she did up the poppers on Freya’s baby grow before lifting her up.

“Auntie Charlie I do believe she is talking to you.” Heath said, trying to get out of coming up with an answer.

“No way,” Charlie looked up at Heath. “She’s your daughter.”

Katie looked from Heath to Charlie then back to Heath. “Daddy.” Katie looked up to him, her eyes all wide in wonderment.

“Uhm, 4 year old girls don’t need to know that,” Heath answered and Brax chuckled in amusement as Katie frowned. Heath looked down to Rolo who was sitting staring at Luca. “He need a walk yet?”

“Uhm, yeah.” Charlie nodded.

“Right, who’s coming?” Heath said as he stood up.

“Yeah, I’ll come. If that’s okay?” Brax looked around the room, like he was looking for where Charlie was.

“Of course it is,” Charlie said as she took Luca from Heath’s arms. Freya still in her other. “You going out bud?” Charlie said as she looked down to Toby.

“No, I stay with Luca.” Toby answered.

“I’ll come,” Katie picked up the red ball before running towards the door. “Mon Rolo.” Katie said and Rolo ran out after her giving an excited yelp.

“You sure you’re okay with them two on your own?” Heath asked.

“I’ve got 7 year old twins and I’m pretty sure they were babies once,” Charlie answered and Heath gave a smile before he walked out of the room with Brax. “Right then,” Charlie looked down at the babies in her arms as they both gave a big yawn. “Think it’s nap time for these two.” Charlie said before putting Luca down in the moses basket, Freya going down into the other one, Charlie and Brax having two for Luca, one to stay down stairs in the living room for nap time and one that was in Charlie and Brax’s room, where he would be sleeping the first few months of his life.

“I’ll sing,” Toby stood between both moses baskets and looked from his cousin to his brother, before he started singing. “Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are.” Charlie smiled down to him, loving how well he’d taken to being a big brother, before running her hand over his curly locks, listening as he sang the babies to sleep.

Ruby was leaning over the fencing that overlooked the beach, two smoothies in her hand, one being hers and the other for April, who was due to meet her any minute now. She watched a surfer riding a wave and was immediately saddened, thinking of her stepfather and how much he loved to surf and that that had been taken from him. “You look like you are deep in thought,” Ruby looked to the side and smiled as she saw her girlfriend. She handed out the smoothie to her. “Thanks,” April said before taking a drink. “So, are you?” April questioned.

“Not really,” Ruby answered. “Just watching the surfer,” Ruby said. “How was placement?” April exhaled as she shook her head and Ruby could see her girlfriend had been crying. “Sweets, what is it?” Ruby balanced her smoothie on the fence post before as she rubbed her arms.

“My uhm....I lost my first patient today.” April said, her eyes stinging with tears.

“Aww babe I’m sorry.” Ruby spoke quietly as April fell into her, needing some comfort.

“Well technically he wasn’t my patient, he was the doctors I am shadowing but you know what I mean, right?” April questioned.

“Yeah yeah.” Ruby nodded her head as she held April in her arms.

“And the doctor didn’t seem fazed at all.” April pulled back and Ruby rubbed her cheeks, wiping away the tears.

“I know this is going to sound pretty heartless but you’ll get used to losing patients,” Ruby said. “You are not going to be able to save every single one of them. This is something that’s just going to come with the job.” Ruby said, rubbing her arm as she spoke.

“I know.” April gave a little nod.

“And hey, think of all the people you are going to save,” Ruby gave a little smile. “All that is going to outweigh the bad stuff like losing patients.”

“Yeah,” April took a deep breath. “It’s just something that comes with the job, I guess.”

“Mmm,” Ruby gave a little nod. “So, moving on to brighter subjects, why don’t you come and meet Luca?”

“Yeah,” April pursed her lips together. “Bet he’s a handsome little guy.”

“Oh he’s a gorgeous little thing,” Ruby said, linking arms around her girlfriend and the pair walking towards Ruby’s car. “Ella isn’t too pleased with him though. Don’t know how she’ll react to him being home.”

“I’m sure in a few days she’ll be fine,” April exhaled. “Not sure I can say the same for me though. I left Bianca’s place because of Freya and now there’s a baby at your place.” April bowed her head down a little. “Just reminds me of what I could have had.”

“I know,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “But think of it this way. You get to be around two cutie babies then when they get grumpy and start crying you can give them back to their mummy’s,” Ruby gave a little laugh. “Sort of like a practice for when we do have a family.”

“Yeah,” April took a deep breath. “Still, I uhm....I do think I am going to go back to Bianca’s. I think she’s going to need me right now.”

“Okay,” Ruby sounded a little disappointed but understood April wanting to be there to help her sister out. “You’ll still come over for a little bit, right?”

“Yeah,” April nodded as Ruby unlocked the car. “I’ll come see Luca and we hang out for a bit. Watch some DVD’s or something then I’ll head back to Bianca’s.” April said and Ruby gave her girlfriend a smile before they got into the car and Ruby drove off in the direction of the house.

Thank you Spotd1, Red Ranger 1, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover and Zoe for the comments. :)

Ninety-nine

Charlie was standing by the doorway of Ella’s room, where she had retreated to since coming home from school. She watched for a moment as her daughter brushed the hair of one of her dolls. “You not coming back down stairs?” Charlie questioned, walking into the room and over to the bed, sitting down next to Ella and running her hand through her ponytail.

“Is he there?” Ella questioned.

“Yes,” Charlie exhaled. “Luca is there.”

“I really wish he was a sister.” Ella sighed sadly.

“I know,” Charlie exhaled. “And you know, mummy would have liked to have another little girl too,” Charlie said and Ella widened her eyes as she looked up at her mother. “But, Luca is a little sweetie and he really would like a hug from his sister.”

“You don’t know that,” Ella replied. “He is only a day old he can’t talk yet.”

“Well no,” Charlie exhaled. “But I already know he loves cuddles.”

Ella furrowed her eyebrows. “Will you and daddy give me a sister next time?”

“We’re not going to have any more babies,” Charlie told her and Ella pouted. “But you know this makes you kind of special.” Charlie rubbed her daughter’s cheek and once again, Ella furrowed her eyebrows, like she was wondering if what her mother said could really be true.

“How?” Ella asked.

“Well Ruby is all grown up now so you are my only little girl,” Charlie said, continuing to rub her cheek. “And you really are daddy’s only little girl.”

“Daddy is Ruby’s daddy too.” Ella said.

“I know but I mean biologically,” Charlie told her and Ella pulled a face, like she didn’t understand her mother. “I know Brax does all the daddy things for Rubes, but her real dad is someone different.”

“So, I’m his only girl and your only little girl?” Ella questioned, a small smile forming on her face. “That does make me special then, ay?” Ella said, the smile only growing larger.

“Oh yeah,” Charlie nodded head. “We have three handsome little boys but only one gorgeous little girl.” Charlie pinched the end of Ella’s nose and she gave a little giggle.

“Mummy you know them days that you and Ruby sometimes have?” Ella questioned and Charlie nodded as she played with her daughters hair. “Well can me and you do it too? Have special days cos I’m your only little girl?”

“That would be so much fun.” Charlie smiled pleased Ella had asked her this. She was such a daddy’s girl and Charlie would love to have more one on one time with her daughter.

“Can we do it once a week?” Ella questioned, hopefully.

“Maybe not that much petal,” Charlie shook her head, especially now, with a blind husband and a brand new baby to look after going out once a week would be impossible. “How about once a month though?” Charlie questioned and Ella grinned as she nodded.

“We can go to the aquarium and the zoo and we can go shopping and get manicures on your hands and feet and can go swimming and to the cinemas and just so much.” Ella sounded so enthusiastic as she spoke, her little mind going round and round, thinking of all the things she could do with her mother.

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled. “Mummy and me time, huh?” Charlie questioned and Ella grinned as she nodded.

“Mum.” Ella said.

“What?” Charlie once again played with her daughter’s hair.

“I’ll come and see him but I won’t promise anything.” Ella told her and Charlie stifled a laugh.

“That’s all I ask.” Charlie said before she and Ella stood up and left the room, going down the stairs to see Luca.

Heath hung up the phone before sighing in frustration. He ran his hand over his forehead, thinking who else he could call. “Heath,” Bianca sighed. “You don’t have to call anyone. I am here. I am their mother. The girls will be fine with me.”

Heath looked at Bianca, unsure. “I’m sorry but recent events would give me reason not to trust you.”

Bianca pursed her lips together, counting to ten inside her head trying to stay calm. “Yeah and I’ve just been away getting help and have been told that I no longer have postnatal depression. Heath, if we are going to work on us then you are going to need to trust me,” Heath pursed his lips together, knowing that he did need to start trying to trust her again. “You’ve just put her down to sleep,” Bianca pointed to the moses basket. “She’ll wake in around 3 hours and I’ll give her a bottle. Katie gets her dinner and a bath,” Bianca said. “I’ll do everything they need. Just go to work.”

“I’ll call you every hour,” Heath exhaled. “See that you are coping and they are safe.”

“Okay,” Bianca sighed. “If that’s what you need to do then okay,” Bianca nodded her head. “Call me.” Of course Bianca would rather not be checked up on in looking after her own children but she understood why Heath would be anxious and also felt that playing along with how he wanted things to go would be easiest for everyone right now.

Heath looked down to the moses basket where his daughter was sleeping. He looked back up to Bianca before once again looking down to Freya, looking deep in thought, like he was thinking if this was a good idea or not. “I....I’m sorry.” Heath shook his head before walking over and lifting her out.

“Heath,” Bianca raised her voice. “This is just stupid now,” Bianca followed him as he picked up the nappy bag that was by the door. “She’s my daughter. Give her to me,” Bianca went to touch his arm but he shrugged away. “You can’t take her to work. Heath.” Bianca’s voice rose.

“She’s coming with me.” Heath said before opening the door and walking out leaving the house with Freya, Bianca screaming out in frustration as she banged her fist against the wall.

“Oh mummy,” Katie came running out of her bedroom. “You is mad.”

Bianca closed her eyes and counted to ten once again. “No, I’m not mad.” Bianca spoke softly and Katie scratched the side of her head.

“Where he take Freya?” Katie wondered, her face screwing up.

“He’s taken her to work with him.” Bianca said and Katie’s face screwed up even more.

“But she’s a baby,” Katie said. “She can’t work.” Katie gave a little giggle, amused by this.

“I know right,” Bianca exhaled. “Silly daddy.”

“Yeah, silly silly daddy.” Katie laughed.

Bianca sighed before looking to her watch. “Right missus what you want to do before dinner?” Bianca questioned and Katie sucked in her bottom lip, looking deep in thought.

“Can we bake?” Katie questioned.

“Sure we can,” Bianca answered, thinking that was probably what Katie was going to ask to do anyways. Like her cousin, she loved to bake, but she wasn’t just mad on baking cupcakes, she would like to trying different things too, like muffins, brownies and cookies. “Let’s go see what we can make huh?” Bianca said and Katie nodded before they both walked through to the kitchen.

Thank you Zoe, Red Ranger 1, Sarah and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments. Can't believe I about to post chapter 100 already!

One hundred

Ella was standing looking over the moses basket where her baby brother was sleeping, swaddled in a little white blanket with multicoloured spots on it. “He looks like daddy and Noah,” Ella said, looking up to her mother. “He’s cute.”

“Isn’t he?” Charlie put her hand onto her daughter’s shoulders, smiling lovingly as she looked at her son.

“I like his name too,” Ella said, looking up to Charlie briefly before looking back to him. “Luca. It’s a good one.”

“It’s Luca Thomas.” Noah said looking up from the game of snakes and ladders he was playing with Toby and Brax.

“No,” Ella exhaled, turning to face her brother. “I am Ella Mae and you are Noah Ross but only if we are naughty,” Ella said. “He’s just Luca.”

Brax gave a little chuckle at Ella knowing they only got middle named if they were in trouble or had been caught about to do something that they shouldn’t be. “I’s Toby Michael.” Toby held his hand in the air.

“We know. We hear it all the time,” Ella replied and Toby scowled at her before throwing the dice down onto the table, looking up at Noah so he’d tell him what to move. “Can I hold him?” Ella asked as she looked back to Charlie.

“Sure,” Charlie nodded. “Go sit down,” Charlie pointed over to the chair and Ella ran across as Charlie picked her son up, Luca still sleeping as she carried him across to his sister. Rolo danced about at Charlie’s feet, looking up at her and Luca. “I’ll give you some attention soon,” Charlie said, talking to the dog. She placed Luca in Ella’s arms before bending down by the chair, clapping the dog as he cuddled himself against her. She continued to watch Ella with Luca, smiling as she saw a smile creep onto her face. “So, a brother isn’t such as bad thing, is it?”

“Well,” Ella sucked in her bottom lip as she kept looking at her brother. “He’s nice but a sister still would have been better.” Ella answered and Charlie gave a little smile, knowing that’s the best she would get right now.

“Just makes you more special, petal.” Brax said and Ella looked at Charlie and gave her a little grin.

“Told you,” Charlie spoke quietly as she ruffled Ella’s hair before standing up and sitting herself down on the arm of the chair. “How’s your game going boys?” Charlie asked. “I hope you two are beating daddy?”

“Well,” Noah looked up to his mother. “We are trying but he is rolling bigger.”

“Aww, well at least you are being honest,” Charlie smiled at the boys. “And you are having a fun game with daddy, right?”

“We’ve had 6 super fun games,” Brax raised his eyebrows and Charlie gave a little laugh before walking over to him and wrapping her arms around his shoulders from behind, kissing his cheek. “The boys are having fun.” Charlie whispered in his ear as her hand slid down and rubbed his chest.

“I know,” Brax answered. “I can hear it in their voices.” Brax said and Charlie smiled at her boys before once again placing a kiss on Brax’s cheek.

“Right well I’m going to make a start to dinner,” Charlie said standing herself up straight and glancing at Ella, who was watching as Rolo played with his rope toy.

“Take Luca back,” Ella said looking up to her mother, holding her brother away from her. Charlie walked back over and took her son in her arms before placing him back into the moses basket, letting him continue with his nap. “Let me play too.” Ella ran over to where her brothers and father were playing snakes and ladders and took the yellow counter from the box. Charlie smiled as she watched the kids and Brax playing the game for a moment before walking through to the kitchen, Rolo noticing her disappearance from the room went running through to the kitchen after her, his rope toy dragging along the ground as it hung from his mouth.

April walked into Bianca’s house. “Mmm something smells nice.” April sniffed, smelling the baking Bianca and Katie had done.

“We bake brownies,” Katie said running into view from the bathroom, Bianca walking out after her. “You have one April.” Katie pointed to the tupperware box on the worktop.

“Mmm don’t mind if I do.” April smiled, taking one out of the box and taking a bite.

“Right missus, into your bed. Pick a book and I’ll come through to read it for you,” Bianca said, running her hand through Katie’s hair as she spoke. “It’s way passed your bedtime.”

Katie pouted sadly. “But April is here. I see her.” Katie said pointing up to her auntie.

“I’ll see you tomorrow. We can have a nice family day at the beach or the park, huh?” April suggested, a mouthful of brownie in her mouth.

“Yeah,” Katie jumped in the air as she screeched in excitement. “Can we mummy?” Katie looked up at her hopingly.

“If you get into bed right now,” Bianca said and Katie ran across to her bedroom as fast as she could. “Hope that’s not a case full on dirty washing.” Bianca said as she looked down to the suitcase by April.

“No,” April laughed a little. “I thought I’d come back and stay here again,” April said and Bianca smiled, glad her sister was going to be back. “If that’s okay.”

“Of course,” Bianca’s smile grew larger. “Although looks like that’s me on the couch now.” Bianca mumbled.

April raised her eyebrows. “Maybe Heath will let you stay in the bed again.”

“Doubtful.” Bianca sighed, playing with her wedding ring.

“Well I have a double bed, so I’m not going to throw you out,” April said and Bianca gave her an appreciative smile. April glanced over at the moses basket, confused to see it was empty. “Where’s Freya?”

“Heath has taken her to work,” Bianca answered, before clicking her tongue. “Doesn’t trust me with her alone.”

“Seriously?” April looked surprised Heath had gone that far. “And how exactly is he going to look after her at work?”

Bianca gave a shrug. “No idea.” Bianca sighed.

“Well I’ll go get her back,” April said. “She’s your daughter. You are back to look after her and you’re not going to bond and connect if he doesn’t let you near her.” April made her way towards the door, but Bianca chased after her, grabbing her arm to stop her.

“You turning up will only make things worse,” Bianca said. “Just leave it. Heath and I obviously need to talk about things again but not right now,” Bianca told her. “Just let him have it his way.”

“For how long?” April questioned. “If you keep letting him do it how he wants he’s never going to give you a chance. Things will get into a routine and will stick.”

“It won’t,” Bianca shook her head. “Look, I’ve only been back a few days, it’s going to take time.”

“Mummy,” Bianca looked around as she heard Katie's voice. “I gots a story book.”

“I’ll be right there pumpkin,” Bianca answered before looking back to April. “Promise me you’ll be here when I get back?” Bianca questioned. April pursed her lips together as she nodded, crossing her fingers behind her back. “We’ll have some wine and DVD?”

“Sure sounds good,” April smiled at her sister as she left to read Katie her bedtime story. April waited a moment or two, listening as Bianca read to Katie. She looked to a picture of Freya on the cabinet before looking to the door. “You’ll thank me for this one day.” April mumbled before leaving the house, walking in the direction of the restaurant.

Archived