Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Thank you for the comments.

Chapter 61

Charlie was sitting on the couch, her hands fiddling with edge of the cushion. She was nervous and scared to tell Brax was happened. She hated the thought of having to live through it again, but knew if she was going to have a relationship with him that Brax needed to know. “Okay, so…” Charlie trailed off as she took a deep breath. “You know Ruby is my daughter, right?” Charlie started, going to come into this slowly.

“Yeah.” Brax answered as he shuffled himself closer to her on the couch and put his hand on top of hers, steadying them.

“And you can probably work out that given that I’m 32 and Ruby is 18, there’s only 14 years between us.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked away from Brax’s gaze.

“Eh yeah,” Brax scratched the side of his head. “But I’m not judging you for that. You’re not the first teenager to make a mistake.” Brax said softly.

Charlie sniggered. “I wish that’s all it was,” Charlie spoke quietly, still not looking directly at Brax. “I was ehm….I was 13 when I got pregnant. I….well my ex boyfriend, he….he was a little older than me, 15. He eh…” Charlie trailed off as she felt herself choking back tears.

“It’s okay,” Brax said, seeing the distress Charlie was in trying to tell him this. “You don’t need to tell me if you don’t want you.”

“No, I need too,” Charlie answered. “If we are going to have an intimate relationship then you need to know this otherwise we’re never going to work,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “I just need a minute,” Charlie took a deep breath, trying to compose herself as Brax gently rubbed her hand, showing her comfort and support. Eventually, Charlie spoke again. “I was…..I was raped.” As Charlie said the words, a tear rolled down her cheek. It had been so long since she’d told Angelo the story, since she told Bianca about her experiences after Bianca had been raped by Dean, since opening up to Leah.

“Oh God Charlie, I….” Brax trailed off. What was he supposed to say to that? “I’m so sorry, it must have been awful.”

“Yeah that’s one word for it,” Charlie wiped the tear from her cheek as she looked up to Brax. “I eh….I was only just 14 when Ruby was born and I was still so traumatised by what had happened that I couldn’t do it, I couldn’t give her what she needed.”

“So what happened?” Brax questioned.

“My parents raised her and I went to live with my aunt Michelle for a while,” Charlie answered, not totally proud of how things were handled after Ruby’s arrival. “When I got home she’d bonded with them and obviously didn’t know me, so I…we left it like that and over time I got used to saying Ruby was my sister.” Another tear fell from Charlie’s cheeks and Brax exhaled lightly as he gently ran his thumb under her eyes, moving away her tears.

“It still must have been so hard for you,” Brax answered and Charlie gave a slight nod of the head. “So, what happened to make Ruby find out?”

“My dad let it slip,” Charlie answered. “He had Alzheimer’s and he got confused. Ruby didn’t even give me a chance to explain anything to her. She was so angry at being lied to for all her life that she just packed her bags and left.”

“I guess I can understand her anger, but running isn’t going to help anything is it?” Brax said.

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “I tried so hard to get in contact with her but I couldn’t find her, so after a while I stopped trying, thought if I gave her space she’d come back eventually.”

“And she did,” Brax gave a half smile as he rubbed Charlie’s arm. “And you’re working at it.”

“She only came back because of what happened with Lee, I think,” Charlie answered. “Part of me thinks if she’d met a nice boy she still wouldn’t be back.”

“But you’re glad she is?” Brax questioned.

“Of course I am,” Charlie said. “We’re finally starting to repair things and I’m so pleased.”

“So then that should be all that matters,” Brax answered. “Not the reasons why she came back, but that she did and that she’s sticking around to put things right.”

“I know,” Charlie sniffed back. “And we’re getting closer again. When we were sisters she would tell me everything, I know it’s a long shot but I wish we could be like that again.”

“Never say never,” Brax answered. “It might take time but you both seem willing to make the effort so you never know what could happen.”

“Yeah I know,” Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked into his eyes and smile. “And thank you for being so understanding these past two months.”

“Hey, it’s okay,” Brax tucked her hair behind her ear. “And I really understand now why you wanted to wait. What happened to you was a big deal.”

Charlie smiled appreciatively. “Well hopefully we don’t need to wait too much longer.”

“Just take as long as you need,” Brax smiled as he pulled Charlie closer to him and she rested her head against his chest. “I’m sure you’ll be worth the wait.”

Connor ran out of the school gates, and was happy to see Ruby standing waiting there for him. “Ruby,” Connor’s face lit up as he gave his sister a hug. “I forgots it was you coming today.”

“Ah, so you would have got a surprise.” Ruby smiled as Connor took her hand and they started walking along the sidewalk.

“Yeah.” Connor did a little skip as he answered.

“So, how was school?” Ruby questioned as they made their way to Charlie’s house.

“Yeah okay,” Connor answered. “’Cept I got stupid homework.”

“Oh no, I hated homework too,” Ruby laughed. “What have you got to do?”

“Eh we need to do a math sheet,” Connor frowned. “But it’s easy math so it’s okay.”

“Wow, so you like math?” Ruby questioned.

“Oh no,” Connor shook his head. “But it’s still easy for me. Like we got 5 minus 2 is eh…3.” Connor counted out on his hand. “And 5 minus 4 is…1.” Connor grinned up at Ruby.

“Ah wow, so you should finish your sheet with no problems.” Ruby smiled and Connor nodded, the grin still on his face.

“Yeah,” Connor said. “Ruby your baby is getting big,” Connor smiled as he put one hand onto her stomach. “Is it going to live with us?”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “Remember mummy told you that Tony and Rachel will be looking after the baby for me?”

“Oh yeah,” Connor scratched the side of his head. “But why?”

“Well Tony and Rachel can’t have babies of their own and I don’t want to have this baby so Tony and Rachel are going to be her mummy and daddy.”

Connor screwed his face up, confused. “If you no want a baby why you get one in your tummy?”

Ruby pursed her lips together, unsure of what to say to Connor. “Sometimes babies can be put in there by mistake.” Ruby said.

“Oh,” Connor answered before his eyes widened in fear. “Was I put in mummy’s tummy by mistake?” Connor questioned.

“No mummy and daddy really wanted you.” Ruby answered and Connor exhaled, unsure.

“But you no want that baby?” Connor asked slightly saddened.

Ruby exhaled as she felt herself rubbing her stomach. “No, so I’m going to give her to someone else who does.”

“And they be here with her?” Connor asked.

Ruby sighed, hoping Connor’s questions would soon be over, but knew that he was bound to have questions about it. “No actually they are moving to a place called Boston. Have you heard of Boston?”

“No,” Connor shook his head. “Is that in New South Wales still?”

“No it’s not,” Ruby answered. “It’s in a place called America.”

“Oh. Is America in Australia?” Connor wondered.

Ruby gave a little laugh. “No it’s a different country. America is really far away from Australia. Don’t you get geography in school these days?”

“Uhm, we will get that later,” Connor said. “Miss Reid said that word before in class I think.”

“Right, well how about when we get to Charlie’s house I’ll show you on the map where it is?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah,” Connor jumped excitedly on the spot. “Then I’ll know for class, please Ruby can you. Please please please?”

“Yeah, I said I would.” Ruby answered, laughing lightly at her little brother’s enthusiasm before they continued the walk to Charlie’s house.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 62

Charlie was in the kitchen making a coffee for her and Brax when Ruby and Connor walked into the house. “Mummy, mummy,” Connor shouted as he ran through the room, flinging his school bag down on the floor on his way to the kitchen. “Is it true?” Connor questioned.

“Is what true sweet pea?” Charlie questioned as she turned to face her son.

“Ruby said I wasn’t but wasn’t I really?” Connor questioned. Charlie looked down at her son, who’s eyes were full of wonder.

“Wasn’t what?” Charlie was puzzled. “I don’t know what you are meaning; you’ll need to be clearer.”

Connor furrowed his eyebrows. “A mistake,” Connor answered. “Ruby said some babies could be put into a mummy’s tummy by mistake, like her baby was,” Connor pointed over to Ruby as he spoke. “But she said I wasn’t a mistake. It is true?”

“Of course it’s true,” Charlie answered. “You were totally and completely planned.” Charlie smiled as she ran her hand over her sons head.

“So you won’t send me away because you didn’t really want me?” Connor asked worriedly.

“Of course not,” Charlie shook her head. “You’re stuck with mummy for life.”

“Good,” Connor smiled. “Was Lily wanted too?”

“She was,” Charlie smiled lightly at her son. “Now why don’t you go up the stairs and change out of your school uniform then Brax might take you outside to play soccer if you ask nicely.”

“Will you really?” Connor’s eyes lit up as he looked up to Brax who was leaning against the worktop, his arms folded across his chest.

“I sure can squirt.” Brax smiled.

“Cool,” Connor grinned. “But first Ruby said she would show me Boston on the map,” Connor looked back to Charlie as he spoke. “It’s where her baby will live.”

“What?” Charlie questioned as she looked up to Ruby, shocked.

“Eh yeah,” Ruby cleared her throat. “I was going to talk to you about that today.”

Brax looked from Charlie to Ruby and back to Charlie again before looking down at Connor. “Right mate, lets go get you changed out of this uniform and then we’ll can play soccer.” Brax said as he stepped forward and took Connor’s hand before the both of them left the room, leaving Charlie and Ruby to talk.

Ruby exhaled lightly before she took a step closer to Charlie. “Probably not the best idea to have told Connor that first.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “So, they’re moving to Boston?”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “They want to move closer to Jack and Lucas. Both his sons are out there, I guess it makes sense.”

“Yeah I guess so,” Charlie exhaled. “And you’re okay with them taking your child across there? It’s like 10,000 miles away.”

“I know, but she’s their child so they can take her wherever they like,” Ruby answered. “She’s going to have a great life in Boston with her brothers and she’ll probably get little neices or nephews from Jack and Martha soon.”

Charlie pursed her lips together, saddened. “I’m not even going to get to see her now,” Charlie exhaled. “I don’t like the idea of them raising her but at least if they were in the bay I’d still see her, but now…” Charlie trailed off before pursing her lips together. “Well I guess you’ve made your choice.”

“I have and I love that you’re still sticking by me.” Ruby smiled appreciatively.

“Like I said I love you unconditionally so I’ll be here for you no matter what you decide.” Charlie smiled before pulling her daughter into a hug. They both pulled back as they felt the baby kicking. Charlie smiled as she placed her hand onto Ruby’s stomach.

“It’s a girl, by the way,” Ruby smiled. “Tony and Rachel were stoked.”

“A little girl,” Charlie smiled as she rubbed her daughter’s stomach. “I was sure it was going to be a boy.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Well unless the technician got it wrong, I’m afraid not.” Ruby answered.

Charlie smiled lightly at her daughter. “So, how are things going with you and Romeo?” Charlie questioned and she walked through to the living room, with Ruby following and took a seat on the couch.

“Good,” Ruby answered. “Great even. We eh….we still haven’t, you know,” Ruby cleared her throat. “But he is so sweet and caring and said he’ll give me as long as I need.”

“Well Romeo is a good guy,” Charlie answered. “You should keep a hold of him.”

“I’m going to do my best too,” Ruby smiled. “So, how are things going with Brax?”

“Good,” Charlie smiled. “Like you and Romeo we are taking it slow, but it’s nice so far.” Charlie answered and Ruby saw the smile on Charlie’s face growing.

“Well at least we are both happy with our love lives right now.” Ruby laughed.

“Yeah,” Charlie gave her daughter a smile. “How is Romeo liking working more at Angelo’s?” Charlie questioned. Romeo had taken the promotion offer from Angelo, using his days off and the early mornings to give any customers he may have gotten for the surf school surf lessons.

“He likes it,” Ruby smiled. “It gives him more responsibilities and more dollars into his bank account so, yeah, it’s win win really.”

“Good.” Charlie smiled as Connor and Brax came back down the stairs, and Connor ran over to Ruby excitedly.

“Ruby, Ruby, come show me Boston now,” Connor smiled as he pulled at her hand and Ruby stood up from the couch and walked through to the conservatory, where there was a globe on display.

Charlie smiled as she stood up from the couch and looked over to Brax who was grinning. “What’s that grin for?” Charlie questioned.

“You’re son is great.” Brax answered.

“Why what’s he been doing?” Charlie questioned.

“Amongst other things?” Brax said. “He asked when we were going to have this sleepover and midnight feast,” Brax laughed. “Sure doesn’t forget much does he?”

“Not Connor,” Charlie laughed. “And maybe if you play your cards right we could be having this sleepover as soon as this weekend.” Charlie raised her eyebrows before she wrapped her arms around Brax’s waist and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

Ruby walked back into the house after having had dinner with Charlie, Brax and Connor, to see Tony and Rachel sitting on their couch, with a couple of baby books in their hands. “Looking for names now you know what you’ve got?” Ruby questioned as she closed the door.

“Yeah,” Tony answered. “I’ve always loved the name Lauren for a girl but I don’t think Rachel is very keen.”

“Nah,” Rachel shook her head as Ruby joined them on the couch. “I like Hannah but don’t like the sound of Hannah Holden so, that’s ruled out.”

Ruby laughed lightly as she reached forward and picked up one of the baby books and opened it at a random page. “What about Sydney?” Ruby laughed as she read the first name she saw. “And it’ll remind you of this place.”

Rachel gave a small laugh. “I’m not a fan of places as names,” Rachel shook her head. “Although I can’t help but like India.”

“I like that.” Ruby smiled.

“I most definitely do not,” Tony said as he scanned the book again. “What about Louisa?”

“Louisa,” Rachel tested it out, before screwing up her face. “Jade?”

“Emma?” Tony said. “You must like Emma?”

“Emma is nice,” Rachel smiled. “But I do like Jade and Aimee, oh I love Aimee.” Ruby smiled as she watched Tony and Rachel discussing the names for the baby, and suddenly felt out of place in the room.

“Well I’ll leave you to decide this on your own.” Ruby said as she stood up from the couch and put the baby book down on the coffee table.

“You can stay if you like,” Tony questioned. “We’d like you’re input too.”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “Like I’ve said in the past, I’d rather not be involved.” Ruby gave them a weak smile before leaving the room, letting Tony and Rachel discuss baby names alone.

Thanks everyone for the comments. :) Sarah - No I don't have any plans to bring Xavier into this fiction.

Chapter 63

Brax rang the doorbell and waited for a few moments for an answer. “Hey,” Brax smiled as Charlie answered the door. “You look gorgeous.” Brax smiled as he looked Charlie up and down. She had an orange skirt on, and an orange and white stripy singlet to match.

“Thanks,” Charlie smiled. “Shame I can’t say the same for you. Combats and a checked shirt again?” Charlie laughed. “Stick to one style, don’t you?”

Brax gave a little laugh. “It’s comfy eh.”

“Hello Darryl,” Connor smiled as he stuck his head around from behind his mother. “How do I look?” Connor moved into view and Brax looked him up and down. He was wearing a sky blue and royal blue soccer strip, right down to the socks.

“You look good,” Brax smiled and Connor gave him a grin. “Sydney FC huh. Didn’t tell me you liked them.”

“You know I like soccer,” Connor sighed. “Oh Darryl is them harbio for me?” Connor questioned as he pointed to the bag in his hand.

Brax gave a little laugh. “Yes, there you go.” Brax handed the sweets to Connor before he walked into the house, Charlie closing the door behind him.

“Wow thanks,” Connor smiled. “You didn’t forget I liked them.”

“Of course not,” Brax shook his head. “And eh, these are for you.” Brax smiled as he handed Charlie the bunch of flowers. She looked down to them, and forced a smile.

“Thank you.” Charlie answered quietly.

Brax could see the look on her face, as if something was wrong. “Are you okay?” Brax questioned as he stepped forward and put his hand on her arm.

“Fine, I’ll just put these away.” Charlie pulled her arm away before walking through to the kitchen, saddened. Brax looked down to Connor unsure.

“They might be the ones she doesn’t like.” Connor said as he opened his bag of harbio.

Brax screwed his face up as he watched Charlie putting the flowers down into the sink. As far as he was aware, flowers were flowers. “What do you mean?”

“The flowers the same name as Lily was,” Connor told him. “They make mummy sad cos of our Lily being in heaven.”

“Oh,” Brax rubbed his forehead as he suddenly felt bad. “You stay there,” Brax said before walking through to the kitchen to where Charlie was getting the vase out of the cupboard. “Charlie, I’m sorry I didn’t realise they were lilies. I just thought they were pretty flowers.” Brax gave a little laugh; his knowledge when it came to flowers was absolute zero.

“It’s okay, you didn’t know,” Charlie put the vase down on the worktop and turned to face Brax. “It’s stupid really. I mean they are just flowers and they’re really pretty but every time I see them I’m reminded of my Lily and then the flowers wilt and die and Lily died and I just -”

“Hey hey, it’s okay.” Brax spoke softly as he rubbed Charlie’s arm. Charlie looked down, not wanting Brax to see her cry over something she thought was silly, but she couldn’t help it, it was how she felt.

“It was really sweet of you to bring me flowers though,” Charlie said and Brax gave her a little smile as he brought her face up to face him, and wiped his hand across her cheek. “But for the future, I like red roses.” Charlie gave a little grin and Brax smiled.

“I can do red roses.” Brax said before placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

“Sorry,” Charlie said. “And sorry that Connor has to be here tonight. It’s not exactly going to be a romantic date that you probably hoped for.”

“Stop apologising for your son being here,” Brax exhaled. “He’s a great kid and I don’t mind him being with us at all,” Brax gave a little smile as he noticed Connor walking through to the kitchen. “And besides he’ll have to go to bed at one point right?” Brax questioned and Charlie gave a little laugh as she nodded her head.

“Mummy, Darryl, do you want a harbio?” Connor questioned as he lifted the bag up to them. They both took one from him.

“Thank you,” Charlie smiled down to her son. “Why don’t you go and pick a movie to watch?”

“Mum,” Connor said. “We will watch Madagascar.”

“Of course,” Charlie rolled her eyes. “Go hunt it out then and Brax and I will fix the snacks and juice.” Connor ran from the kitchen doing as he was told. Charlie looked back to Brax and gave him a smile. He looked extra handsome tonight. She leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Mmm, I thought we were going to get the snacks ready?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “We will in a minute.” Charlie said before placing another kiss onto his lips.

Ruby, Romeo, April and Dexter were hanging out at the surf club. Romeo and Dexter were playing a game of pool as Ruby and April sat on the chairs close by, drinking their smoothies. “So, will you go back to uni do you think?” April questioned.

Ruby shrugged her shoulders. “I guess maybe one day,” Ruby answered. “Once all this baby drama is over.”

“I can’t believe you are giving her up,” Dexter said. “She’s your baby.” Dexter took a shot; missing potting the ball he was going for.

“That’s not how I see it,” Ruby answered. “I’m just the oven as far as I am concerned. Rachel and Tony are her parents.”

“What if she gets really sick and needs blood or worse and she’s all the way out in Boston. Tony and Rachel aren’t her biological parents, you are,” Dexter said. “Then she might not be able to get saved and it would be your fault.”

“Dexter,” Romeo raised his voice. “Was there a need to say that?”

“Well I’m just saying it how it is.” Dexter answered before picking up his smoothie taking a drink.

“No you’re just being nasty,” Romeo replied. “She’s finding this hard enough as it is without you saying stupid things like that.” Romeo raised his voice as he threw the pool cue down on the table. He looked over to Ruby, who had bowed her head down and was trying her best not to cry.

“You don’t take any notice of Dex,” April said as she leaned forward and lightly rubbed Ruby’s arm. “I think you are doing a great thing for Tony and Rachel.”

Ruby looked up to April briefly before looking to Dexter, then Romeo. “It’s really hot in here; I’m just going to get some air.” Ruby said, her voice close to breaking before she stood up and left the surf club, as quickly as she could. April went to get off the chair, but Romeo stopped her.

“I’ll go,” Romeo said before running out after his girlfriend. “Babe,” Romeo exhaled as he caught up with Ruby, who was making her way onto the sand. He put his hand out and took hold of her arm, Ruby turning around and falling into him as she broke down into tears. “Hey, hey, it’s okay.”

“Is he right?” Ruby questioned. “Am I doing the wrong thing?” Ruby sniffed back but the tears were still rolling down her cheeks.

Romeo pursed his lips together. “No one call tell you that, babe,” Romeo spoke softly as he rubbed her back. “Only you know what the right thing to do is.”

“The right thing feels like giving her up,” Ruby answered. “Tony and Rachel deserve to be parents. They’ll make great parents.”

“They will,” Romeo answered. “And I think you are giving them an amazing gift.”

“And I’m not being selfish?” Ruby questioned. “Giving her up just because I don’t want to raise her?”

“You are giving Tony and Rachel the chance to be parents. That’s an amazing gift, so no; I don’t think you are being selfish at all. You are giving this little girl the chance to have a great life, something that right now you feel you won’t can give her.” Romeo held Ruby close to him, rubbing her back as he spoke.

“Thanks,” Ruby smiled. “I really love you, you know that?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah,” Romeo smiled. “I love you too.” Romeo placed a soft kiss onto Ruby’s head as the pair stood on the beach in the embrace.

Thank you Spotd1, beebee and Sarah.

Chapter 64

Charlie walked back down the stairs and took a seat back next to Brax. “Sorry about that, he seems to think because it’s a Friday night and he doesn’t have school tomorrow that he can stay up till 11.” Charlie said.

“And you’re against that?” Brax replied. “I always got to stay up later when it wasn’t a school night. Well being honest I don’t think mum ever cared when we went to bed.”

“11 is too late him for him to go bed,” Charlie answered. “No matter what time he goes to bed he wakes up at 7,” Charlie said. “He’ll be a right cranky thing tomorrow if I let him stay up too late, and beside he normally goes to bed at 8 and he went at 10, he got an extra two hours. He doesn’t need to be greedy.” Charlie said and Brax gave a little laugh.

“I guess I shouldn’t be complaining,” Brax said. “It means we get to spend some alone time together.” Brax smiled.

“Mmm, yes.” Charlie smiled as she moved closer to Brax on the couch and he wrapped his arm around her and rubbed her arm ever so slightly. He placed a soft kiss on her head.

“So not much longer to go till you start work again,” Brax said. “Are you looking forward to getting back?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Although I have loved having more time with Connor, I will enjoy getting back to work. Get a bit of normality back in my life.”

“Normality?” Brax laughed.

“Well you know the routine of work. You know what I mean.” Charlie answered.

“Yeah, I get you,” Brax replied. “I know I was only out of work for a week at most and I didn’t like it,” Brax said. “So I can’t imagine what it would be like not having work for 3 months.”

“Well at least I didn’t get sent to jail,” Charlie replied. “So I’d take another 3 month suspension any day.”

“I’m sure you would,” Brax answered. “So, I guess because you haven’t been working you won’t have heard what happened to my brothers and the river boys?” Brax questioned.

“Oh, no,” Charlie sat up on the couch and crossed her legs as she face Brax. “What happened?”

“A big drugs raid last week out by Morton’s Highway.” Brax answered. “Heath and Casey both got taken in.”

“How did I not hear about this?” Charlie questioned.

“Well Colleen is away visiting her Lancey, so there’s a good reason right there.” Brax laughed.

“No gossip queen around,” Charlie laughed. “So, do you know what’s happening to them?” Charlie asked.

“Mum can’t afford to bail them out and I’m having nothing to do with them. Their own stupid fault that they are in jail so they can sort it out themselves.” Brax answered.

“Oh,” Charlie widened her eyes slightly surprised that he wouldn’t help out his brothers. Stupid as they were, they were still his family. “What about the rest of the boys?” Charlie questioned. “You’d have thought they would try to bail them out?”

“It’s seemingly a lot of money and they’re not the type to have a lot of cash.”

“What about all their drug money?” Charlie questioned. “I’d have though they would just use that?”

“Give drug money to the cops?” Brax laughed. “Even the boys aren’t that stupid, but I’m sure they will come up with a way of getting it.”

“No doubt,” Charlie exhaled. “And you swear you’re not involved with them?” Charlie trusted Brax, but she needed to be sure for the sake of her son, she couldn’t get involved if he was a river boy.

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “Anyways, enough talking about my stupid brothers,” Brax said. “I can think of something more fun that we could be doing.” Brax raised his eyebrows before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips.

“Mmm.” Charlie moaned as the kiss intensified, their tongues finding their way into each other’s mouths. She moved her hand up his back and rested it against the back of his head. Brax put his hands around her petite waist, pulling her closer to him. She moved her leg over his body so she was straddling him, as the kiss never broke, only becoming more and more passionate and intense. Brax pulled at her singlet, bringing it out from her skirt before taking it from her body.

Charlie pulled back as she looked down into his eyes. “If you don’t want too we don’t need too.” Brax said quietly.

“No,” Charlie shook her head as she stood up from the couch. “I want too.” Charlie gave Brax a seductive smile as she held her hand out. Brax returned the smile as he took her hand and stood up from the couch and followed Charlie across the room and up the stairs to her bedroom.

Charlie was lying in the bed, her head nestled in the hollow of Brax’s shoulder, her finger lightly tracing the outline of his ‘blood and sand’ tattoo. “I thought you said you weren’t a river boy?” Charlie questioned, as her finger moved down the n in and.

“I’m not.” Brax exhaled lightly as he continued to move the tips of his fingers in a circular manner on her upper arm.

“So then how come you have their infamous ‘blood and sand’ tattoo?” Charlie questioned.

“I used to be one,” Brax answered. "But I left about 14 months ago now. I moved to the bay to get away from them but it seemed they followed me here, but I swear I haven’t had anything to do with them since then,” Brax said. “I’m not young and stupid anymore.”

“What so you’re old and wise?” Charlie questioned before giving a small laugh.

“I wouldn’t go as far as saying that,” Brax laughed. Charlie smiled at him before turning around to look at the digital clock on her bedside table. 6.53am was the time. She exhaled lightly as she got out of bed and walked across the room, looking for the boxer shorts of Brax’s that had been flung somewhere the night before. “What you doing?” Brax questioned as he sat up in the bed.

“Connor will be up soon so you need to put something on.” Charlie said as she found his boxers hanging over the dresser. She picked them up and threw them across to him, before opening her drawer and pulling out a pair of her pyjamas and putting them on.

“Aww I liked looking at you naked.” Brax pouted as he put his boxers on. Charlie gave a little laugh as she crawled back over to him on the bed.

“I’m sure you’ll see me naked again soon.” Charlie raised her eyebrows before placing a soft kiss on his lips. Brax smiled into the kiss as it became that little bit more passionate, before Charlie pulled back, and sat down next to him in the bed. Brax wrapped his arm around her once again.

“Last night was amazing by the way.” Brax smiled. Charlie looked up at him, a smile on her face.

“Yeah,” Charlie cleared her throat. “It was.” Charlie moved closer to Brax as their lips met, in a soft kiss.

“Maybe, we could have a repeat of that now.” Brax grinned before softly kissing Charlie’s neck.

“Mmm,” Charlie moaned. “Like I said, Connor will be getting up soon,” Brax pouted before placing a soft kiss on her lips. “I’ll be right back, just need to use the bathroom.” Charlie smiled before leaving the room. Brax exhaled lightly as he looked around her room. He smiled to himself, happy that he was finally in the room of the woman he loved, the woman he wanted to make a life with, the woman he already knew he wanted to be the mother of his children. He only had to see how great Charlie was with Connor to know that. He exhaled before catching sight of the picture of Lily that was on Charlie’s bedside table. Moving across to Charlie’s side of the bed, he sat himself over the edge and picked the picture up, the baby’s big blue eyes, just like her mothers, staring up at him. He smiled lightly as he felt his hand gently going over the top of the picture. He looked up to see Charlie walking back into the room and taking a seat on the bed next to him.

“Sorry.” Brax said as Charlie took the picture from him.

“It’s okay,” Charlie gave a weak smile before taking a deep breath. “She was 6 weeks old there. She’d just gave us her first proper smile,” Charlie smiled fondly. “Angelo was determined to get all those special moments on camera although it was kind of hard for that to happen,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Anyways, he kept putting these silly faces, poking her side, rubbing at her cheeks, trying to get her to smile again.”

“I guess it paid off in the end,” Brax said. “Some smile she has on there.”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “She was such a happy baby, never fussed much at all. Completely different from Connor. He was such a cranky baby.” Charlie gave a little laugh as she thought about her son.

“I remember when I saw you out and about as a family she always did seem so content,” Brax spoke tentatively, not sure how far Charlie was wanting this conversation to get. “Gorgeous little thing too, just like her mum.”

Charlie gave a weak smile. “When Lily died, I.....it felt like a part of me died too,” Charlie said, feeling herself welling up. “I eh....going out with friends, going to work, starting new relationships....I’d give that all up in a heartbeat if it meant having my Lily back,” Although Brax tried to understand Charlie’s pain, he felt a little hurt by her comment. “I have this hole in here,” Charlie hit her hand against her chest, were her heart would be. “And it’s never going to fix.”

“Maybe, over time, when you move on with your life, if we stay together and be a family, then -”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “This hole is where Lily should be and it’s never going to be fixed. It’ll always be broken now,” Charlie sniffed back as Brax lightly rubbed her back. “No one can understand how I’m feeling. And if I didn’t have Connor I really don’t know where I’d be right now.”

“He is a great kid. You should be proud of him,” Brax smiled deciding it was best not to say more about Lily. He didn’t want to upset Charlie any more than she already was. “Hey squirt.” Brax smiled as Connor walked into Charlie’s room.

“Darryl,” Connor smiled surprised. “You have a sleepover and didn’t tell me.”

“Sorry buddy it wasn’t really planned, eh,” Brax said as Connor climbed up onto the bed next to Charlie. “We’ll let you know the next time and you can have that midnight feast hmm?”

“Yes,” Connor nodded as Charlie wrapped her arm around him pulling him close. “Why is your been crying mummy?”

“I was just thinking about Lily,” Charlie answered truthfully. “So was a little sad.”

“Oh,” Connor looked down to the picture in her hand. “I liked when she was on her play mat,” Connor smiled up at his mother. “She liked the flower rattle.”

“Yeah she did,” Charlie smiled as she kissed her sons head. “Now,” Charlie wiped her hand across her eyes. “How about we go get some breakfast?”

“Yeah,” Connor smiled before looking up to Brax. “Can you make pancakes?”

“Oh,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I’ll give it my best shot.” Brax said and Connor cheered before he jumped down from the bed and grabbed Brax’s hands, pulling him up from the bed, and out of the room. Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked down to the photo and placed a soft kiss onto it.

“Love you my darling angel.” Charlie said softly before putting the picture back down on the bedside table and taking a deep breath before going to join Brax and Connor for breakfast.

Thank you everyone.

Chapter 65

Charlie and Brax walked along the beach, hand in hand. It had been a few weeks since Charlie and Brax had first spent the night together and Brax had been spending most of his time at Charlie’s place. “So, just the diner for lunch or do you want to go to the restaurant, or I guess there are other places.” Brax said as they were trying to decide where they went for lunch.

“Eh,” Charlie put her hand over her chest as she swallowed. She suddenly had an urge to be sick. “The diner is fine.” Charlie said as they made their way up to the diner.

“So Connor is at Angelo’s tonight,” Brax smiled. “Maybe we could go to the movies or something?”

“I should probably stay home,” Charlie answered. “He says he wants to stay over, but I don’t know if he will,” Charlie answered. “It’s the first time since the divorce that he’s said he wants to stay over.”

“Okay so a DVD and pizza for dinner,” Brax smiled. “How does that sound?”

“Okay,” Charlie replied. “But if you don’t want to come over you don’t have too. I was actually thinking of asking Ruby over tonight.”

“Right,” Brax rubbed his forehead as they walked into the diner. “Well if you want to spend time with Ruby that’s fine too.”

“Yeah, I do.” Charlie answered. “Might actually head home after lunch. So you can go do whatever.”

Brax exhaled lightly as he took a seat at a table with Charlie sitting opposite him. “It’s everything alright?” Brax questioned as he ran his hand over the edge of the table.

“Yes, fine,” Charlie snapped. “Just because I don’t want to spend every waking minute of every day with you it doesn’t mean something is wrong.”

“Okay, sorry,” Brax raised his eyebrows. “Time of the month or what.” Brax muttered.

“No, it’s not,” Charlie spat. “I’m going home.” Charlie exhaled as she stood up from the table and walked out of the diner, leaving Brax sitting in the diner, completed confused and surprised by what just happened.

“Dad,” Connor smiled as he walked out of the school gates and over to him. “I’m going to sleep over tonight.”

“Yeah,” Angelo smiled. “Mummy brought some stuff around for you this morning.”

“Did she bring my blue soccer pyjama’s?” Connor questioned. “She should know they are my favourite.”

“I don’t know mate, we’ll have to see when we get back to my place.”

“Yeah,” Connor answered. “I hope she has.”

“So, how was school?” Angelo questioned. “Did you get any homework today?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “I got some words to learn,” Connor answered. “We can do it after we’ve played some Xbox, yeah?”

“Homework first,” Angelo answered. “Then a little bit of Xbox. Mummy also brought your lego around because you’re really into that just now aren’t you?”

“Oh yes,” Connor nodded. “We can make lots of cool things like rockets, houses, windmills and everything.”

“We sure can,” Angelo smiled. “So, has Brax been spending lots of time at your house lately?” Angelo questioned.

“Yeah,” Connor answered. “But it’s okay daddy,” Connor answered. “He’s cool and funny and nice to me and mummy.”

“Yeah?” Angelo questioned.

“Yeah,” Connor nodded as they walked up the path to the apartments where Angelo lived. “I’ll hit the button.” Connor smiled as he pushed the up button on the elevator.

“So, Brax is settling in with my family eh?” Angelo sighed as he put his hand onto Connor’s shoulder.

“Daddy I told you,” Connor sighed. “It’s okay. He’s really nice and he won’t take me from you.”

“No, but he’s taking mummy,” Angelo sighed as they walked out of the elevator and down the corridor to his apartment. “Wouldn’t you like it if your mummy and daddy were back together?” Angelo questioned as they walked into the apartment.

“Well, you’re nice to me now,” Connor answered. “But mummy is smiling with Darryl and I like him.”

“You know you could still see Darryl even if mummy and daddy were back together?” Angelo questioned. “You’d see him at the restaurant and about town. Me, your mummy and you once had lots of fun together didn’t we?”

“Yeah,” Connor answered as he threw his school bag down to the floor. “But daddy, you’re not together now so we can’t have fun together,” Connor exhaled. “I’m going to go see what pj’s mummy packed me for me,” Connor said as she ran through to his bedroom. Angelo exhaled lightly as he rubbed his forehead. He still didn’t like that Charlie was with Brax, and desperately wanted his family back together but the longer that Charlie was with Brax, Angelo’s hopes of reuniting was fading a little more. He exhaled as he walked over to the kitchen and opened the fridge and pulled out the orange juice, a poured a class for his son and a glass for himself. “Daddy,” Connor shouted excitedly as he ran into the room again. “She packed them.” Connor jumped up and down.

“What you go them on now for?” Angelo laughed. “It’s just gone 3, you don’t need to go be bed for a while.”

“I know but I like them,” Connor answered and Angelo laughed lightly as he handed him the juice cup. “Can we play on the Xbox for a bit now?”

“No,” Angelo shook his head. “Homework first.” Angelo picked up his school bag and fished his books out. Connor sighed as he climbed up onto the chair as Angelo placed his English workbook down on the table. He exhaled lightly as he smiled down at his son. His son which he shared with Charlie, so even if for now, they weren’t together, they still had to talk with each other for Connor sake’s, so he figured there would always be that chance, that maybe one day, they would reunite.

Ruby sat down on the couch after being let in the house by Charlie. “You alright, you’re looking a bit off today?” Ruby questioned as he looked up to Charlie.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “Think I’ve just got a little bug,” Charlie answered. “It’ll pass.”

“Oh, okay,” Ruby answered as she rubbed her stomach lightly feeling the baby move. “So how was your morning?”

“Fine,” Charlie answered. “I’ve spent a lot of the day in the bathroom to be honest,” Charlie answered. “I was supposed to be out with Brax, but I came home.”

“Oh,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Hopefully you feel better soon.”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “So how are you today?” Charlie questioned.

“I’m fine,” Ruby answered. “Actually had a couple of things I wanted to talk to you about.” Ruby said before taking a deep breath.

“Oh yeah?” Charlie questioned. “Fire away.”

“Well,” Ruby exhaled. “Tony and Rachel are getting things sorted for the baby and they try to keep the stuff in the spare room but I still need to walk past the room and I see things,” Ruby sighed. “I just don’t feel comfortable there anymore and I was wondering - if you wanted me too that is - if I could move in here?”

“Oh,” Charlie was slightly surprised. “Eh, yeah, of course you can.” Charlie moved Ruby’s hair from the front of her face.

“The bedroom is changed though?” Ruby questioned. “And you’d be fine with me staying in that room, you know, Lily’s room.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she exhaled sadly.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded lightly. “It’s fine. I think it will be nice to live with you again.”

“In house babysitter eh,” Ruby laughed. “All your hot dates with Brax.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Wouldn’t be fair getting you to babysit when you’re getting pretty pregnant.”

“Well Connor isn’t exactly the spawn of Satan so I’m sure I’d manage.” Ruby laughed.

“Yeah, well, we’ll see. I might not need a babysitter much longer.” Charlie muttered.

“What do you mean?” Ruby questioned.

“Nothing,” Charlie shook her head. “So, what else did you want to ask me?”

“Eh,” Ruby pursed her lips together as she rubbed her stomach. “It’s about my.....my dad.”

“I’m assuming you’re not talking about Ross here?” Charlie questioned and Ruby shook her head shyly. “What do you want to know about him?” Charlie bit her lip.

“Uhm, just....I dunno I just have this urge to know about him. Do you know what he does now?”

“Okay, well....” Charlie took a deep breath. “The last I knew he was living in Sydney with his wife and two young kids.” Charlie answered.

“Oh,” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “So, I have more siblings,” Ruby said. “So, I guess he didn’t get long in jail?”

“He never went,” Charlie shook her head. “Dad felt it would be too hard for me having to go through a court case and stuff. I was already finding being pregnant so young difficult so....” Charlie trailed off before she shrugged her shoulders. “Sometimes I wished that he was inside paying for what he did though.”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded, slightly shocked at Ross choice of how to deal with the situation. “I know if Lee wasn’t...” Ruby trailed off. “Well I would have liked to have thought that one day, with help from you that I would have been strong enough to tell the police here what he did.”

“Well at least you know he’s gone and can’t hurt you anymore,” Charlie said as she rubbed her daughters arm. “You don’t want to meet him do you?” Charlie questioned and Ruby pursed her lips together as she shook her head.

“No.” Ruby answered.

“Okay, well how about we go to the diner and get some cake?” Charlie questioned. “Celebrate you moving in?”

“Yeah, I’d like that.” Ruby smiled as they both stood up from the couch and left the house.

Thank you Zoe, beebee, Sarah, Spotd1, CharlieAndBraxLover, totally and caroline77 for the comments. :)

Chapter 66

Charlie opened the door of the bedroom and walked into it with Ruby following her. She took a deep breath as she looked around the room. It looked so different now. The dancing teddy bears no longer on the wall, the furniture now not fit for a baby’s room. “You know it’s the first time I’ve been in here since it’s been like this,” Charlie ran her hand over the teal bed sheets. “The decorators obviously did the room, and Bianca put the curtains up and dressed the bed, the photo frame, those artificial flowers...” Charlie trailed off.

“It’s so nice,” Ruby smiled as she stepped forward and rubbed her mother’s arm. “Teal and chocolate, I love it.”

“Well it’s your room for as long as you want it,” Charlie smiled. “I’ll let you get your stuff unpacked and get settled.”

“Okay,” Ruby smiled. “Maybe after that I could treat you to lunch at the diner?”

“Ohh won’t say no to that,” Charlie smiled and Ruby gave a little laugh. “Do you want tea or anything right now?”

“Yeah, would be good thanks.” Ruby smiled as she opened up the suitcase, ready to pack away her clothes. Charlie exhaled as she walked out of the room and down the stairs, but before she got to the kitchen, the doorbell went. She walked over to the door and opened it up to see Brax standing at the other side.

“Brax,” Charlie said. “What are you doing here?”

Brax sniggered. “What I can’t even come and see my girlfriend anymore?”

“Yeah, of course, I just didn’t expect you. I thought you said you were working today.” Charlie leaned herself against the door, almost like putting the block between herself and Brax.

“No,” Brax shook his head. “I’ve got the week off,” Brax said. “I told you yesterday that the place was shut for renovations.”

“Oh,” Charlie bit her lip. “Well Ruby is moving in,” Charlie answered. “So, we’re kind of busy.”

“Right,” Brax exhaled as he looked to Charlie. She bowed her head down slightly as she pursed her lips together. “Charlie have I done something to upset you?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I’ve just told you I’m busy that’s all.”

“And yesterday?” Brax asked. “You were definitely off with me then.”

“So,” Charlie raised her voice. “Life isn’t always peachy Brax; God knows I’ve learned that the hard way.”

Brax exhaled as he rubbed his forehead. “Right well I’ll see you sometime then.” Brax sighed before he walked away. Charlie thought about calling out after Brax but decided against it and closed the door and walked over to the kitchen. She pursed her lips together before she flicked the kettle on to boil. As she pulled the milk out of the fridge, she ran her hand over her stomach, and exhaled. She was late and with her being sick the day before, she had this awful feeling in her mind that she was pregnant. She knew taking it out on Brax wasn’t the right thing to do but she was scared. She didn’t want to have to face that conversation with Brax yet. She took the tea bags from the jar and put one into each cup before waiting on the kettle to boil. She poured the boiling water into the cups before adding milk and giving them both a stir. She placed the milk back into the fridge before walking up the stairs and back into the bedroom.

“Here you go.” Charlie said as she handed Ruby the cup.

“Thanks,” Ruby smiled as she took a drink. “Was it just my hearing or did the doorbell ring?”

“Yeah, the bell went,” Charlie answered as she sat down on the bed, with Ruby taking a seat next to her. “It was Brax.” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“And you sent him away?” Ruby questioned. “What’s up, Charlie?”

“Nothing,” Charlie shook her head. “You’ve just moved in,” Charlie answered. “Not even. You’re clothes are still half in a suitcase.”

“Charlie,” Ruby exhaled. “You might can get away with that with someone else but I know you too well. Even with a 2 year absence,” Ruby said. “Spill.”

“It’s nothing,” Charlie sighed before talking a drink of her tea. “Now, c’mon, let’s get your clothes away and then we’ll go for lunch.” Charlie said as she stood up, placing her tea on the bedside table. Ruby exhaled, deciding to leave the conversation for now, and stood up at finish un-packing.

Ruby was sitting in the kitchen with Connor finishing their ice-cream after dinner. “So why did you move here?” Connor questioned.

“Because I wanted to be with Charlie and you.” Ruby answered.

Connor smiled. “So is you keeping your baby too?” Connor asked as he licked his lips as they had ice-cream all around them. “And it live with us?”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “Tony and Rachel are still getting the baby.”

Connor scrunched his face up. He still didn’t understand why Ruby wasn’t keeping the baby. He was about to speak again when they heard Charlie squeal in excitement from up the stairs. “Yes, yes, thank you God.” Ruby and Connor stared at each other both looking confused.

“What’s mummy shouting for?” Connor giggled.

“I don’t know bud,” Ruby shook her head. “She seems excited about something though, doesn’t she?”

“Yeah,” Connor rubbed the side of his head. “Maybe she’s found something she though she lost.” Connor said and Ruby laughed lightly at her little brother.

“You think that what it is?” Ruby questioned.

“Well,” Connor shrugged his shoulders as he held his hands out to the side. “What else can it be?”

“Good question,” Ruby replied. “I guess we’ll find out when she comes back down the stairs, huh.”

“Yeah,” Connor answered as he took a spoonful of his ice-cream. “Ruby, can I get more sprinkles?”

“Oh, I think that would be okay,” Ruby smiled as she stood up from the table. “Where does mummy keep them?”

“Uhm,” Connor scratched the back of his head. “That one.” Connor pointed to one of the cupboards and Ruby walked across to it and opened it up and pulled the tub of sprinkles before walking back over to her brother and pouring them over his ice-cream.

“Hey.” Charlie said cheerily as she walked into the kitchen placing a kiss on her sons head.

“Everything alright?” Ruby questioned. “You sounded rather pleased?”

“Oh everything is great Rubes,” Charlie smiled. “I just got my period.”

Ruby screwed her face up, confused. “And you’re happy about that?” Ruby asked and Charlie nodded her head. “You actually like getting your period?”

“Oh God no,” Charlie shook her head. “But it means I’m not pregnant.”

Ruby widened her eyes. “Oh you thought....” Ruby trailed off as she pointed to Charlie’s stomach. “So that’s why you’ve been off with Brax then?”

Charlie nodded. “Yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “I really need to talk to him but I’m scared.”

“Why are you scared?” Ruby questioned. Charlie looked down to Connor before looking back to Ruby. She took her hand into hers and pulled her through to the living room.

“Brax wants kids.” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“Well you can have kids one day,” Ruby answered. “You’ve only been together a few months so having a kid right now wouldn’t be the best idea anyways. The timing just wouldn’t be right.”

“Ruby, I -”

“Connor is fine with me so why don’t you go over to Brax’s and talk to him?” Ruby suggested as she rubbed Charlie’s arm.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I can’t tell him this.”

“Yes you can,” Ruby answered. “It’s not as if you’re telling him anything bad. You just had a little scare and you need to let him know so you can be more careful in the future so you don’t have any more little scares like this.”

Charlie took a deep breath. “You’re right, I need to talk to Brax.” Charlie exhaled before leaving the house and making her way to Brax’s.

Thank you for the comments.

Chapter 67

Charlie took a deep breath before she knocked on the door of his house. “Charlie,” Brax looked surprised to see her as he opened the door. “Eh, what brings you here?”

“I eh.....I think we need to talk.”

“Right yeah,” Brax scratched the side of his head. “Come in. Can I get you a drink or anything?”

“No,” Charlie answered as she walked into the house. “I won’t be staying long.”

“Right,” Brax exhaled. “Eh....” Brax rubbed his forehead as he followed Charlie over to the couch taking a seat next to her. “So, what....” Brax felt nervous for the conversation. There was something about Charlie’s body language that made him uneasy.

“I freaked out and I’m sorry,” Charlie spoke over Brax. “I was late and I was sick yesterday so I thought I was pregnant.”

“Oh wow eh....” Brax swallowed nervously. “A baby...” Brax exhaled. “You’re not?” Brax pointed to Charlie’s stomach as she shook her head.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “Thank God for that.”

“It wouldn’t have been that bad, would it?” Brax questioned. “I know we’ve only been together a few months but it’s a baby,” Brax smiled as he put his hand over Charlie’s stomach. “We’d get there eventually, right?”

“I’m sorry,” Charlie shook her head as she moved his hand from her stomach. “I love you Brax, I do, but I can’t have any more kids.”

“You can’t?” Brax questioned. “But I thought you just said you thought you were pregnant?” Brax was confused slightly.

“I did,” Charlie answered. “I can still get pregnant; I just don’t want to be pregnant again.” Charlie took a deep breath as she saw the look on Brax’s face change from confusion to disappointment.

“Never?” Brax questioned. “Don’t you think it would be nice to give Connor a little play mate?”

“I gave Connor a play mate,” Charlie answered as she pulled at a thread hanging from one of the cushions. “And I lost her. I can’t go through pregnancy again, I can’t have another child. I can’t go through that again.”

“Charlie,” Brax exhaled lightly as he moved closer to her on the couch, taking her hand into his and rubbing it gently. “What happened with Lily won’t happen again. You can’t live your life in fear, babe, I can’t begin to imagine what it would have been like losing a child but you shouldn’t stop living your life because of what happened.”

“I’m sorry,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I’m not going to change my mind on this. I don’t want another child. I can’t have people thinking I’m trying to replace my Lily because she will never be replaced. No child will come close to being like Lily.”

“No one will think you are trying to replace Lily,” Brax said as he gently rubbed her hand. “You are never going to get another Lily, but it doesn’t mean that you’ll not love another child just as much.”

“I can’t,” Charlie shook her head as she pulled her hand away. “I’m sorry and I know you want children, which is why we can’t be together anymore. There’s no point in us having a relationship if we want different things.”

“No, Charlie don’t say that,” Brax shook his head. “You could change your mind in the future. I mean it hasn’t even been a year since you lost Lily, it’s too soon to have a definite decision now.” Brax felt his heart beating faster, he didn’t want this relationship to end.

“I’ve made up my mind,” Charlie exhaled. “I love you and I want you to get what you want out of life, and I know you want children so we can’t be together anymore. It’s only going to hurt us more in the long run if we need to break up 2, 3 years down the line because of this.”

“Charlie, please we can -”

“I should go,” Charlie wiped her hand across her eyes, pushing back the tears that wanted to fall as she stood up from the couch. “Eh, I’ll see you around.”

“Charlie, don’t do this,” Brax exhaled. “We don’t need to break up now over something that shouldn’t even be an issue at this point.”

“We do,” Charlie replied. “Because like I say, it’s going to be an issue at one point so we may as well deal with it now when were not as serious. It’s the right thing to do. I’m letting you get what you want out of life. You’re a good man and your deserve that.”

“But -”

“Don’t,” Charlie shrugged away as Brax tried to reach out to her. “I’ve made a choice and I want to end this relationship. There’s nothing you can do about it.” Charlie said before she opened the door and left the house, leaving Brax standing, devastated at the door of the house as he watched Charlie leaving the driveway.

It was now the next morning and Ruby had taken Connor to school as Charlie had told her she had an appointment that she needed to go to. She grabbed her car keys from the hanger in the kitchen, before walking over to the door and opening it to see Angelo standing there with his hand in the air, like he was about to ring the doorbell. “Angelo,” Charlie stepped out of the house and closed the door, turning around to lock it. “What can I do for you?”

“Eh, I wanted to ask you something about Connor.” Angelo answered.

Charlie exhaled as she looked down to her watch. “I don’t really have time to talk right now. I need to get to the hospital.”

“Oh, is everything alright?” Angelo questioned, concerned for Charlie.

“Fine,” Charlie answered. “Can we meet later and we can talk?”

“Eh, it won’t take a minute,” Angelo answered. “I’m working later so won’t can meet you.”

“Right, we’ll you’ll need to be quick as I am already running late.” Charlie answered as she made her way over to her car.

“Well obviously you know it’s your birthday on Sunday, and I was wondering if I could take Connor out tomorrow to get you a present,” Angelo said as he gave her a smile. Charlie pursed her lips together, thinking about it. “I know I don’t normally get him on a Saturday anymore but it’ll just be for one time. I can even not get him on Monday if it makes a difference.”

“Eh, Connor doesn’t need to get me anything,” Charlie answered. “You don’t need to take him out just to get me a present.”

“He’ll want to get his mummy a birthday present,” Angelo said. “It’ll just be for a few hours.”

“Well don’t spend too much because I really don’t need anything,” Charlie answered. “You can pick him about 10?” Charlie said and Angelo smiled as he gave her a nod of his head.

“That sounds fine,” Angelo said. “And thank you.”

“It’s fine,” Charlie exhaled before she opened her car door. “Cya then.” Charlie said before she got into her car, and waited until Angelo had walked back down the driveway, before turning the keys into the ignition and driving out of the drive, making her way to the hospital and parking in an available space. She took a deep breath as she pulled the keys from the ignition and got out the car, making her way into hospital where she took a seat, waiting for Sid to come to call her. She pursed her lips together, all of a sudden feeling nervous as she shook her leg.

“Charlie,” Sid smiled as appeared before her. “If you’d like to come through.” Charlie stood up and followed Sid into the room, where she took a seat on the edge of the bed. “So, what can I do for you today?” Sid questioned.

Charlie took a deep breath before taking. “I’d like a tubal ligation.”

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 67

Charlie was sitting in the hospital room, looking up at Sid, waiting on a reply. “Well?” Charlie questioned.

Sid exhaled lightly. “Charlie, why do you want a tubal ligation?”

Charlie sniggered slightly. “I don’t want any more kids, isn’t it obvious?” Charlie brushed her hand on her jeans as she spoke.

“And how does Brax feel about this?” Sid questioned.

“It’s got nothing to do with Brax. It’s my body and my choice to make,” Charlie answered. “So when can I get it done?”

“You can’t,” Sid shook his head. “I don’t believe it’s in your best interests.”

“You have to be kidding me,” Charlie raised her voice. “This is my choice to make, not yours.”

Sid exhaled as he looked down to her notes, searching for her date of birth. “Not even looking at the fact that you are only 32, it hasn’t even been a year since you lost your daughter so I don’t believe you are in the best frame of mind to make this decision.”

Charlie pursed her lips together sadly. “I don’t want any more children,” Charlie answered. “My age and previous circumstances shouldn’t come into this,” Charlie took a deep breath. “I don’t want any more children and as a woman I believe I have a right to say what goes on with my body. So do it or I’ll just go find someone else who will.”

“All doctors will tell you the same I’m afraid,” Sid answered. “Charlie, I’m not going to say I understand how you are feeling after losing a child but, it’s too soon. Lily hasn’t even been gone a year and you’re still grieving. You must see how I don’t think you are in the right frame of mind to decide something like this.”

“It’ll be a year next week,” Charlie answered, trying to keep herself composed. “And for the rest of my life I will be grieving the loss of her. You can’t use Lily as an excuse not to give me this sterilisation. I’ve had three children and that is enough. Sid, please.”

“I’m sorry Charlie but my decision stands,” Sid replied. “Now, I can offer you an IUD which is a very effective form of birth control that -”

“I don’t want an IUD,” Charlie snapped. “I want to be sterilised.”

“Well like I say you’ll be unlikely to find a doctor who’ll perform the surgery,” Sid answered. “Take the IUD, and in 5 years time if you haven’t changed your mind then I’ll perform the surgery.”

“No thanks.” Charlie shook her head. “Well if you are not going to help me I guess there’s no point in me staying here.” Charlie stood up from the bed as she spoke.

“Charlie -” Sid started but Charlie cut him off.

“Leave it.” Charlie said angrily before she left the room, and made her way out of the hospital.

Charlie ran her hand over the gold lettering of the teddy shaped grave stone. “Lily,” Charlie said softly. “It’s almost a year,” Charlie spoke quietly as she sniffed back. “Mummy’s birthday on Sunday then on Tuesday, daddy, Connor, Ruby, Morag and I will be here to see you. To remember how sweet and happy you were. How you were smiley and never really cried,” Charlie sorted the flowers in the holder, moving the dead ones to one side and putting in the fresh ones she’d bought. ”Now this is just a little bunch because daddy and I will bring you a nice big bunch on Tuesday,” Charlie sniffed back. “But it looks all nice with some fresh flowers, hmm,” Charlie exhaled as she looked down to the little pink bear that she’d put in front of her grave 3 months earlier, on what would have been her first birthday. “Almost 15 months old, now, hmmm,” Charlie spoke softly. “I bet you’d be running around with Connor causing mummy and daddy all sort of troubles,” Charlie exhaled. She hated that her baby had been taken from her, but felt a little comfort when she visited her grave and talked to her. “So, Connor is getting on really well in Year 1,” Charlie smiled. “Doesn’t like the homework all too much but he’s enjoy school and has made lots of nice friends,” Charlie said. “He’s taken well to Brax too, which is a shame because mummy had to break up with him. It was for the best really,” Charlie exhaled. “I can’t make him give up children in his life but I don’t want to have anymore. I can’t after you sweetheart, you understand mummy don’t you?” Charlie questioned. “Maybe Doctor Walker doesn’t, but I’ll find someone who does and someone who’ll give mummy the surgery.” Charlie exhaled lightly. “So, mummy goes back to work on the 16th of this month, so not long to go now,” Charlie said. “I’m actually pretty nervous for going back,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “I’m sure I’ll be fine though once I’ve been there a few hours it’ll be like I’ve never been away.” Charlie sighed as she looked down to her watch. She probably should leave about now to pick up Connor from school. She leaned forward and rested her hand against the gravestone. She placed a soft kiss onto it, before leaning her head down against it. “Mummy will be back soon okay, love you so much my baby girl.” Charlie sniffed back as she picked up the dead flowers before standing to her feet. She looked down to the grave stone for a moment in silence, before taking a deep breath and turning and walking away.

Connor ran into the diner and over to the counter where Ruby was serving people. “Ruby, mummy said I can get some cake.” Connor smiled excitedly as he tiptoed up to the cake display as Ruby handed the man his change.

“Thank you, enjoy the rest of your day,” Ruby smiled at the man before walking over to the cakes. “Well you are a spoilt little boy,” Ruby said as she looked down to her brother. “What are you going to pick?”

“Chocolate,” Connor smiled. “It’s always chocolate.”

“Of course,” Ruby smiled as she lifted up plastic cover and used the tongs to pick up at piece of the cake and put it on a plate. “Hey Charlie,” Ruby smiled up at Charlie as she walked over to them. “Everything go alright this morning?”

“Not really,” Charlie answered. “But hopefully I’ll get it sorted.”

“Oh, anything you want to talk about?” Ruby questioned.

“Later,” Charlie answered quietly as she looked down to Connor. “Right what kind of milkshake do you want?” Charlie questioned.

“Uhm....banana.” Connor answered.

“Right take your cake and go find a table,” Charlie said as she lifted the plate from the counter and handed it to her son before he ran off looking for a seat. “How’s it going today?” Charlie questioned as she looked at Ruby.

“Yeah okay,” Ruby answered. “We’ve been pretty quiet to be honest. Irene reckons I’ll finish early.”

“Oh right,” Charlie nodded. “Probably good though as I’d suspect you’ll be getting tired of being on your feet all day.”

“A bit actually,” Ruby nodded as she rubbed her lower back. “Will be glad to be finished though, going to Romeo’s for dinner tonight.”

“Ah that’ll be nice,” Charlie smiled as she looked over to the table and saw Brax talking to Connor. “Anyways, I’ll take a latte please.” Charlie said before walking over to the table and looking up to Brax as she pursed her lips together.

“Sorry, he just wanted to tell me about what he learned at school today.” Brax said as he pointed at Connor.

“It’s alright,” Charlie answered and she took a seat opposite Connor. “But I’m sure you’re busy so I’ll let you get on with your day.”

“I’m not busy.” Brax shook his head.

“Mum can Darryl have a drink with us?” Connor smiled. “And maybe he could have dinner and a sleepover tonight.”

“Eh no,” Charlie shook her head. “Mummy and Darryl aren’t....” Charlie trailed off as she looked up to Brax.

“I’ll leave you to it.” Brax said sadly before he walked away and over to the counter.

“Why can’t he?” Connor questioned as he took a bit of his cake.

“Sweetie,” Charlie said softly. “Mummy and Brax have decided not to be boyfriend and girlfriend anymore.”

“Why?” Connor questioned. “He was a good boyfriend boyfriend.”

“I know he was,” Charlie exhaled. “But sometimes adult relationships don’t work out,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “So he won’t be around anymore, okay?”

Connor sighed lightly as he licked the chocolate from his lips. “Well could he still be my friend?” Connor questioned. “He was my friend first.”

“We’ll see,” Charlie exhaled lightly. She didn’t want to upset her son, but knew that there was no way she and Brax could work in the long term now. She sighed before she turned her head to the side to see Brax paying Irene for his meal before walking out of the diner. She pursed her lips together before looking back to her son. “Now mister, you going to give mummy a piece of that cake?” Charlie asked as she leaned forward and pulled a little bit off, much to the horror of Connor. She laughed lightly before putting it into her mouth and waiting on Ruby to bring their drinks over.

Uhm....:( Just wondered if you could expand on your comments of why you think Charlie needs ‘help’ just because she doesn’t want any more children? Sorry beebee that you didn't like it, not sure your going to like this one much either then :(

Chapter 69

Charlie took a deep breath before she knocked on the door of her house. After a minute and hearing someone inside, the door opened. “Charlie,” Rachel smiled, surprised to see her. They’d hardly been the best of friends since Ruby announced to Charlie that Rachel and Tony were going to be adopting the baby. “Eh, come in,” Rachel said as Charlie walked into the house. “Do you want a coffee or anything?” Rachel questioned and Charlie shook her head in reply and she sat down on the chair.

“I won’t be long,” Charlie answered. “I just wanted to ask you something.”

“Oh okay.” Rachel sat down on the couch intrigued at what Charlie was going to say.

“We’re friends right?” Charlie questioned.

“Eh well, the last few months I wouldn’t have said so really, no.” Rachel answered.

“Okay, I guess so,” Charlie exhaled. “But you taking Ruby’s baby aside, we’re friends?”

“Yeah,” Rachel nodded. “We are.” Rachel smiled lightly.

“I went to see Sid yesterday,” Charlie took a deep breath. “I want a tubal ligation but he won’t give me one. He said I’m too young and it’s too soon after Lily to make any decisions. I’m 33 tomorrow and Lily will be gone a year on Tuesday,” Charlie said. “I know that I don’t want any more children and feel sterilisation is the best way to go. I’ve already had a scare with Brax, so this will ensure that nothing like that will happen again and I was so relieved when I didn’t turn out to be pregnant, I know I don’t want more children.”

“So, you’re going to ask me if I’ll put you in for the surgery, right?” Rachel questioned and Charlie nodded her head lightly. “And how does Brax feel about having children?”

“He want’s kids,” Charlie answered. “Which is why I broke up with him. It’s not fair to ask him to give up something he really wants but I can’t have another child just to keep him happy. It wouldn’t be fair to ask me to go through pregnancy and labour for something that I don’t want.”

“I’m sorry,” Rachel said. “You two seemed like a great couple.”

“Yeah, well maybe in another life we’d work, but unfortunately in this one we can’t. I love him and I just need to let him go have the life he wants.”

Rachel gave Charlie a weak smile. “And this whole baby thing, do you not want any more children because of what happened to Lily, or -”

“I would be lying if I said Lily didn’t come into it,” Charlie questioned. “But I always wanted two children and I have two.....I have 3 so....” Charlie shook her head. “If Lily was still here I still would want this. Please Rachel, help me out here.”

Rachel exhaled lightly. “How do I know that a few years down the line you’re not going to be in a situation where you’ve changed your mind and you want children?”

“I won’t.” Charlie shook her head. “My mind is made up.”

“But what if you do?” Rachel questioned.

“Well it can be reversed, right?” Charlie questioned and Rachel bit her lip as she gave a gentle nod.

“Well yes, but, it may not be successful and if it was it would be harder to get pregnant than if you hadn’t been sterilised.” Rachel answered.

“Well that doesn’t really matter to me because I don’t want to have any more children ever,” Charlie exhaled. “Rachel, if you don’t give me this I’ll just to the city and go private and pay for it. Please, it’s what I want. Surely you can understand that and do it for me.”

“I don’t understand it,” Rachel shook her head. “As someone who can’t have children of her own, for a woman who can with no problems, I.....it doesn’t really make sense why you’d want to give up that.”

“Because I’ve had the children I want,” Charlie answered. “Please Rachel, help me out here. I’m trying to be sensible and avoid an accident here.”

Rachel pursed her lips together before looking up at Charlie. “I’m sorry,” Rachel answered. “And you could still be refused if you did go private,” Rachel told her friend. “So, perhaps it’s best not to waste your time or money.”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she pushed back the tears. “Right, I’ll just leave then.” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch and walked out of the house, not understanding why no one would allow her to get the procedure done.

“Mummy,” Connor smiled as he ran through the house and into her arms. “We went shopping and I got you -”

“Connor, shhh,” Angelo put his index finger over his mouth as he laughed at his son. “You don’t tell mummy what you bought. You need to keep it a surprise.”

“Oh,” Connor gave a little giggle. “Should I go hid it?” Connor questioned. “Somewhere in my room that she’ll never see.”

“Yes,” Angelo nodded his head as Connor ran off up the stairs. “Thanks for letting me have him this morning.” Angelo said as he smiled at Charlie.

“It’s okay,” Charlie answered. “I guess you will have had a good time with him?”

“Of course,” Angelo questioned. “So, any plans for the rest of today?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “Just hang out here with Connor. I guess you’re going to work?”

“Yeah yeah,” Angelo nodded. “Got a party of 18 coming in tonight so will be a busy one I’d think.”

“Right yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Did you give Connor his lunch?”

“No,” Angelo shook his head. “Just thought I’d get him home to you as soon as I could. It’s not my day to have him so I didn’t want to keep him away from you too long.”

“It would have been fine,” Charlie replied. “I wouldn’t go off at you for spending time with your son.”

“Well, maybe another time I can take him out for a special day.” Angelo suggested.

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled. “I’m sure he’d like that.”

Angelo smiled lightly as he bowed his head slightly. “So, how’s things going with Brax?”

“We broke up.” Charlie answered before pursing her lips together.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Angelo said as he rubbed the back of his head. As far as she was aware, Charlie was really into Brax.

“No you’re not,” Charlie replied. “You didn’t like us being together.”

“Well no, but break up’s are never easy,” Angelo replied. “What happened?” Angelo questioned. Charlie exhaled lightly as she went to reply before Angelo spoke again. “Sorry, it’s not my business.”

“It’s fine,” Charlie gave him a weak smile. “We just want different things,” Charlie answered. “So, I don’t see how we can work.”

“Oh,” Angelo rubbed the back of his head. “Well I’m sorry. You did deserve to be happy after everything you’ve been through.”

“Yeah, well maybe one day.” Charlie answered as Connor ran back down the stairs.

“I hid it daddy, I hid it good,” Connor smiled as he jumped down the last few stairs and ran over to him. “Can you stay for lunch?” Connor questioned as he looked up at Angelo.

“Eh,” Angelo exhaled as he glanced over to Charlie. “Daddy’s got work to get to mate.”

“If you want to stay I don’t mind,” Charlie told him. “It’s just going to be toasties so it’s nothing special.”

“Well, if it’s okay with you I will.” Angelo replied.

“Connor wants to spend more time with you today it seems,” Charlie replied. “So, yeah, it’s fine.”

Angelo smiled lightly at Charlie before looking down to Connor. “Looks like I am staying squirt,” Angelo said. “C’mon go get your old daddy a drink.” Angelo laughed as he and Connor walked through to the kitchen. Charlie stood in the living room and exhaled as she pulled her mobile from her pocket as it beeped. She felt a strange feeling in her stomach as she saw Brax’s name on the screen. She opened the message up to read it. Please can we talk, I don’t want us to be over, we’ll work something out, please meet me so we can talk. B xx. Charlie pursed her lips together before putting her mobile back into her pocket and walking through to the kitchen to prepare lunch for her, Angelo and her son.

Thanks for your explanation, beebee, but Charlie did tell Ruby before she started dating Brax that she didn’t plan on having any more children, so I am not sure it is really in haste, but I guess as a reader you are entitled to having your opinion. :) I hope you like this one better, although again I’m not sure that you will. :(

Good things come to those who wait.... :wink:

Chapter 70

Charlie was sitting on the beach, looking out to the ocean watching as the waves lapped against the shore, exhaling lightly as she wiped a tear from her cheek. “Mind if I join you?” Charlie looked up to see Morag standing looking down at her.

“Morag,” Charlie sniffed back. “I wasn’t expecting you till later on today.”

“Got away from the city earlier than expected,” Morag replied. “I got to your place and was quiet surprised to see Angelo answer the door. He told me you’d popped out so I left my bags there and thought I’d catch up with Alfred but on my way to the surf club I saw you sitting on here so I thought I’d come see if you were okay.”

“He’s just watching Connor for me,” Charlie exhaled. “I just needed some time to think.”

“About anything in particular?” Morag questioned as she took a seat next to Charlie.” I know Tuesday is going to be a hard day for you.”

“It’s not really about Tuesday,” Charlie shook her head. “I eh....I want a tubal ligation but both Sid and Rachel have refused to do it.”

Oh,” Morag sounded a little surprised. “What makes you so sure that you want one?”

“I know I don’t want any more kids so I figured it made sense to be safe,” Charlie answered. “I don’t understand why it’s so hard for me to get one. If I were a guy I bet I could go into the hospital and ask for a vasectomy and get one with next to no questions asked. It’s not fair. I want this so what gives them the right to deny me it?”

“I guess they would have given you their reasons.” Morag answered softly as she placed her hand onto Charlie’s arm and rubbed it gently.

“Maybe you could help?” Charlie suggested.

“No,” Morag shook her head. “Charlie, you just need to wait a few years, and maybe when you are a little older if you’re still adamant that you don’t want children then they’ll do it for you.”

“That’s what Sid said,” Charlie exhaled. “But I don’t think it’s fair to make me wait when it’s what I want.”

“Maybe it is for the best,” Morag spoke tentatively. “You may feel right now that you are sure you don’t want any more kids, but a few years down the line if you and Brax are serious and decided to have a child then you have that option.”

“I broke up with Brax.” Charlie replied.

“Why?” Morag questioned.

“For that very reason,” Charlie replied. “He wants kids and I don’t want anymore,” Charlie sniffed back as she wiped a tear from her eye. “And I don’t want to hurt him, so it has to be this way now.”

“You’re hurting him right now aren’t you?” Morag questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “But it would be worse if I told him this 2, 3 years down the line when it would be even harder to end things.”

Morag exhaled lightly as she looked up to see Brax walking along the beach, heading in their direction. “I’ll leave you two alone.” Morag said as she stood up and lightly rubbed Charlie’s shoulder before walking away to let them talk.

“Mind if I join you?” Brax questioned as he took a seat next to her.

Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “I guess you are sitting here now.”

“How’s Connor?” Brax questioned as he played with the little box that was in his hand nervously.

“He’s good.” Charlie replied quietly, not looking up to Brax as she spoke.

“Charlie,” Brax exhaled. “Is there no way you can give me another chance? I love you so much and I just ....I don’t want us to be over.”

“I don’t either,” Charlie shook her head. “But you don’t always get what you want in life,” Charlie sniffed back. “It wouldn’t work, us dating in the long term. I know that you want children and I don’t. I’m sorry Brax, but we’ll not work.”

“Then I’ll give up having kids,” Brax exhaled. “If it means getting to be with you. I’ll give up children for you.”

“I can’t ask you to do that.” Charlie shook her head as she pursed her lips together.

“You’re not asking me, Charlie,” Brax replied. “I’m saying that it’s what I want. And Connor is still young and he’ll need someone there and I can be.”

“Connor has his dad,” Charlie replied. “And I don’t want you ending up resenting me or even worse, Connor. I’m sorry and maybe in another life we would have worked together, but we can’t in this one.” Charlie sniffed back as she wiped a tear from her eye and stood up from the beach.

Brax exhaled, saddened, but he wasn’t going to keep pushing and pushing. He had a good feeling that they would end up back together, so for now he left it. “Well will you at least take your birthday present?” Brax asked as he handed the box up to her. “I’ve bought it so I would like you to have it.”

“I don’t think I should, sorry.” Charlie shook her head before turning and walking away from Brax, pushing back more tears that wanted to fall, before she hurried off the beach.

Ruby and Romeo were walking around the mall in Yabbie Creek, Ruby looking for something for Charlie’s birthday. “What about a nice top or something?” Romeo questioned.

“Maybe,” Ruby answered. “I want it to be something really nice. You know it’s the first thing I will have bought her in a while and after what she did for me with Lee, and how she is supporting my choice of giving up the baby although she doesn’t like the idea, what she’s been through with Lily and Angelo, and now going through with Brax, and what’s happening on Tuesday.”

“Wow, that’s a lot,” Romeo raised his eyebrows. “Any idea’s then?”

“No, nothing all at,” Ruby replied. “You’re supposed to be here to help.”

“Well I did just suggest a top,” Romeo said as he took Ruby’s hand into his. “Or maybe you can get her something nice in the jewellery store?” Romeo suggested.

“Maybe,” Ruby exhaled. “I hate shopping for people that aren’t myself.”

“Oh, Rubes.” Romeo shook his head.

“No, I didn’t mean it in that way I just mean I know what I want so it’s easier to shop for yourself than other people.” Ruby explained.

“So, I’ll take that to note when it’s my birthday then.” Romeo teased before he poked Ruby’s side.

“Ahh Romeo no,” Ruby giggled as she pulled away before wincing slightly as she rubbed her stomach. “C’mon let’s go in here.” Ruby and Romeo walked into a shop that started with baby clothes. Ruby exhaled lightly as she walked through them, stopping as she saw a little pink sundress. Romeo watched as Ruby ran her hand over it, her lips pursed together.

“You alright?” Romeo questioned as he stepped forward and put his hand on her shoulder in comfort.

“Fine,” Ruby cleared her throat. “Let’s go look somewhere else.” Ruby said as she turned and walk out of the shop. Romeo followed her out, and followed Ruby as she walked over to a bench and sat down as she clutched her stomach, a look of pain on her face.

“Rubes,” Romeo put his hands on her shoulders. “You alright?” Romeo questioned once again, for different reasons this time.

“I don’t know,” Ruby shook her head. “It feels all sore and tight all of a sudden.” Ruby took a deep breath as she felt her stomach tighten.

“You want to go to the hospital?” Romeo was concerned for his girlfriend.

“I don’t know,” Ruby shook her head. “I want Charlie.” Ruby looked up to Romeo, a look of fear on her face. He’d never seen her looking so scared before.

“Okay, c’mon. I’ll take you to the hospital and then call Charlie, okay.” Romeo helped Ruby stand to her feet and started walking her out of the mall, back towards his car to take her to the hospital.

Archived