Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Thank you all so much. :wub:

Chapter 11

Ruby, Rachel and Tony were sitting around the dinner table in silence. Ruby had told them that if they wanted to adopt, she would give them her child. She didn’t feel ready to be a mother, and there was no way she could get an abortion. She knew how much it hurt Charlie after her baby got so cruelly taken away from her, so adoption was the only other choice that Ruby had, she’d made it clear keeping the child wasn’t an option. Apart from the fact that she was only 18 and she wasn’t ready to be a mother, she didn’t want to have a constant reminder of Lee and all he’d done to her in her life. Of course she felt the need to tell Tony and Rachel all about Lee, partly to show she wasn’t just some irresponsible teenager who got herself pregnant by mistake. “Is someone going to talk?” Ruby eventually broke the silence.

“I eh....” Tony cleared his throat. “I’m not really sure what to say.”

“Are you sure you’re pregnant?” Rachel questioned. “You’ve took the test and been to the hospital to confirm and stuff?”

“Yeah.” Ruby nodded as she pulled the crumpled up scan picture from her pocket. “I’m six weeks exactly.” Rachel took the picture in her hands and a small smile appeared on her face as she gently ran her finger over it.

“And does Charlie support these plans?” Tony questioned.

“It’s not really up to her.” Ruby shook her head. “I’m 18. I’m an adult. I can make my own choices.”

“That’s not really what Tony was asking. We know it’s your choice, but with the relationship that you and Charlie have right now we don’t want to step in and make anything worse.” Rachel explained as she put the scan picture down on the table.

“She’s knows I want to give it up for adoption,” Ruby exhaled. “She doesn’t approve of course. Although I don’t really get how she can judge me after she gave me away.”

“She probably knows how hard it is to watch someone else bring up your child.” Tony said.

“I just want what’s best for my child.” Ruby said as she lightly rubbed her stomach. “Exactly like Charlie,” Ruby mumbled. “She just did what she thought was best. God I’m such an idiot. She just let me have a better life.” Ruby looked up to see Rachel and Tony nodded lightly in agreement at what she’d said. “Look, regardless of what’s going on in my life with Charlie, I know for sure that this decision I am making is the right one. Even if I did let Charlie help me with the baby...” Ruby shook her head. “We are so messed up right now it’s going to take a long time to fix. A baby is only going to be an added complication and the baby doesn’t deserve that. And there’s no way that I will can give this child the kind of life that you would be able too. Even if Charlie did help me, she has her own life, you know, she has Connor and it’s still really fresh about Lily....a new baby might even set her back,” Ruby exhaled lightly. “I don’t want to raise this baby,” Ruby shook her head. “And I’m going to put it up for adoption whether you guys take it or not....so, I guess I’m giving you first refusal. If you say no then I’m just going to go any find someone else.”

“Ruby, I think you should talk to your mum about this first,” Tony said. “I know you’ve made your mind up and at the end of the day it is your choice but it’s not like you are going to give someone a watch or a...a car....you know this is a baby,” Tony emphasised. “It’s going to be difficult and you’re going to need support. It would be nice that we knew you’d have Charlie there supporting you after the baby has been born and we have him here with us and your upset and in need of that comfort.”

“So what are you saying?” Ruby questioned. “That you want the baby but you want to know that Charlie will support this and me?”

“Obviously it’s a huge decision that Tony and I will need to talk about, but yes,” Rachel nodded. “We’d want to know that you’d have Charlie there for you when all of this is happening.”

“So what?” Ruby questioned. “Do you want me to set up a meeting between the four of us so we can talk?”

“Yes.” Tony nodded. “That’ll probably be a good idea.”

“Well she’s not really pleased with me at the moment so that might take a while to arrange but I’ll see what I can do.” Ruby smiled weakly. “I’m not really feeling that hungry so I’m going to go to my room.” Ruby said before she left the table and excited the room, leaving a shocked Tony and Rachel to talk about her offer.

It had been a few days since Charlie chucked Ruby out of the house and they hadn’t seen each other since. Ruby had been round to the house, but received no answer. She didn’t know if Charlie noticed it was her at the door and just ignored her, or if indeed she was actually out. She wasn’t ready to talk to her again just yet. She exhaled lightly as she waited at the school gates, ready to pick up her son. She had to be at work in around 30 minutes, and only hoped that Connor would in fact stay at Angelo’s tonight. She was quiet surprised that Angelo hadn’t called her to cancel the visit for some obscure reason if she was being honest. “Mummy.” Connor smiled as he gave her a hug.

“Hey squirt how was school?” Charlie asked as she took his hand into hers before they started to walk along the sidewalk to Angelo’s house.

“Good,” Connor smiled. “What are we doing now mummy?”

“Mummy is going to work,” Charlie answered.

“Do I go to Bee-Bee’s?” Connor questioned.

“Afraid not.” Charlie shook her head. “You’re going to daddy’s.”

“No no no.” Connor shook his head. “I don’t want too.”

“You have to sweetheart, its daddy’s night to have you.” Charlie explained. Connor always went to Angelo’s on Wednesday and Saturday night, although lately he hadn’t been going much, with Angelo always making an excuse not to watch his son.

“But you said I didn’t have to ask him places.” Connor argued.

“Well you’re not asking him anywhere are you?” Charlie questioned. “You’re staying over at his place.”

Connor sighed lightly. “Well I won’t talk to him.”

“C’mon sweetheart, you be nice to daddy.”

“He’s not to me.” Connor said. “So I not to him.” Charlie sighed lightly as she walked up the path of the apartment block. They walked into the building and went into the elevator, and Connor hit the button to take them to the 5th floor. They rode the elevator in silence and as the doors opened Connor ran out and down the hall leaving Charlie trailing behind. Charlie caught up with Connor as he waited outside the door. She knocked on the door and after a few minutes without an answer she knocked again.

“C’mon Angelo.” Charlie mumbled as she looked down to her watch. After another knock on the door she pulled her phone out of her pocket and scrolled to Angelo’s number and hit call.

“Is he not home mummy?” Connor asked with as he looked up at her.

Charlie shook her head as her phone was ringing and ringing before Angelo eventually picked up. “Angelo, where are you?”

“I eh...I’m in the city. I won’t get home till 10, maybe later.” Angelo replied.

“What do you mean you’re in the city? You’re supposed to have Connor tonight.” Charlie said as anger built up in her.

“Sorry. I had to pick up the new menus for work.” Angelo said.

“No you didn’t. You could have got them delivered.” Charlie sighed.

“Well I wanted to go and pick them up, okay?” Angelo spat.

“For goodness sake Angelo, I need to work what am I supposed to do with him?”

“Well you’ll have to take time off to spend time with him. That’s what you always tell me.”

“No I can’t just take the night off again. I had to do that on Sunday. I’ve already got heaps of paperwork to catch up on; I can’t afford to have anymore.” Charlie snapped.

“Well it’s your problem Charlie.” Angelo sighed before he hung up the phone. Connor sighed lightly as he bowed his head down.

“Told you he doesn’t want me.” Connor said. Charlie exhaled lightly as she took her sons hand and walked back across the hall and into the elevator and pressed the button to go back down to the bottom floor. She scrolled through her contacts until she found her work and exhaled lightly as she hit the call button.

“Hey, Phil its Sergeant Buckton here. I know it’s short notice but I can’t make it in to work this afternoon’s shift. Do you think you’ll be able to find cover alright?”

“Well Watson is already pulling a double shift because Swanston called in sick and Lloyd also just went home sick and Turner is yet to turn up for his 1pm start.” Phil said. “So, we’d really appreciate it if you could get yourself here.”

“I see...ehm...okay I’ll be there.” Charlie sighed as her and Connor walked out of the elevator and then the building and in the direction of Charlie’s home. All the way, Charlie was trying to think of who would be able to watch Connor for her. There was no way he could stay at the station with her till she finished her shift at midnight. Bianca had some fundraising event to attend after the high school got out, and if it was anything like the last one she wouldn’t be home till after 10. Irene and Colleen were both working till close in the diner and Marilyn and Roo were working the surf club. Rachel and Tony, both had their work as well. “Crap.” Charlie muttered under her breath, but not quiet enough for Connor not to have heard.

“Oh mummy you said a bad word.” Connor gasped.

“Sorry.” Charlie said. “Well you need to come to mummy’s work with her for a bit.” Charlie said as she opened her house door and quickly grabbed her car keys and ushered Connor into the car and made the 10 minute drive to Yabbie Creek. They walked into the station and Charlie sat Connor down in her office before signing the sign in sheet, at a quarter to 4, 15 minutes later than she was supposed to. As she sat down in her office and made a start to her paperwork, her mind was still on who could come and collect Connor. “Ruby.” Charlie mumbled. She was the only other person she could think of. She exhaled lightly as she picked her phone up but then remembered she didn’t have Ruby’s mobile number and she didn’t know where Ruby was staying. She rubbed her hand across her forehead as she sighed in frustration.

“Mummy will I see Darryl again soon?”

“I’m not sure Connor, why?” Charlie asked.

“I wanted to tell him what the teacher said about our rocket.” Connor smiled.

Charlie waved her index finger up in the air. “You know what Connor, you might be seeing Brax really soon.” Charlie said as she picked up her phone, although once again she didn’t have his number. Sighing lightly she made a few clicks on her computer, and there before her was his house number. She called it, hoping that he was home and not working for she didn’t have his mobile number.

“Hello?” Brax said.

“Hey, is that Brax?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah, is that you Charlie?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah, eh....look I have a really big favour to ask you.” Charlie started.

“Oh?”

“I need someone to watch Connor tonight. I can’t get away from work and Angelo is in the city and there’s no one else I can think of to watch him.”

“Oh, eh yeah I can watch him for you.” Brax answered. “Where is he?”

“Could you come to the station for him?” Charlie questioned.

“Sure. I’ll be there as soon as I can.” Brax said before hanging up the phone. Charlie put her phone down and looked to Connor with a smile.

“Brax is going to look after you tonight.” Charlie smiled.

“Cool,” Connor grinned. “Do you think he’ll bring me more haribo?”

“Maybe.” Charlie laughed.

“I like Darryl.” Connor smiled.

Charlie smiled lightly before she looked back down to her paperwork. “Well I need to get back to this, so you sit there and finish drawing that picture.” Charlie said and Connor nodded as he got back to work. After about 10 minutes, there was a soft knock on the door and Charlie turned her head up to see Brax standing in the doorway. “Hey, Brax, thank you so much for this.” Charlie said as she stood up. “Connor,” Connor looked up at Brax and smiled as he jumped down from the chair and ran over to him. “Okay so he’ll need fed.” Charlie said. “Uhm he normally gets his dinner at like 5, 5.30. There are fish fingers in the freezer so you can give him those and you can feed yourself too. You don’t need to eat the fish fingers.” Charlie shook her head. “There’s plenty food in the house so just cook whatever you want. You can cook can’t you?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah I can cook.” Brax laughed.

Charlie smiled nervously. “He’ll need a bath too if you don’t mind too much, but if it’s too much bother then just leave it and I’ll bath him tomorrow night.”

“I’m sure we could manage that.” Brax said.

“And he goes to bed at 8.” Charlie said. “He’ll probably try to tell you it’s later, but please send him at 8, otherwise he’ll be grumpy for school in the morning.”

“Fed, bathed and bed by 8.” Brax nodded as he smiled down at Connor. “Now you ready to go?”

Connor nodded lightly before he gave Charlie and kiss and a cuddle. “You be good okay?” Charlie said and Connor nodded.

“I’m sure he always is.” Brax smiled.

Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked back up to Brax. “I eh....my shift finishes at midnight so I shouldn’t be too much later than that.”

“It’s okay.” Brax said and Charlie pulled the house key from the car keys. “You’ll need that.”

“Thank you.” Brax said. “And don’t look so worried. He’ll be fine with me, honestly. I know I might have been your last choice to watch him but you obviously called me for a reason.”

Charlie nodded lightly before giving Connor another kiss and cuddle. “Thank you, and you do as Brax asks you” Charlie said and Connor nodded before he and Brax left the station, letting Charlie get on with her work.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much. :wub:

Chapter 12

“Mmm thank you,” Connor smiled as he looked down to the fish fingers, chips and veggies that were on his plate. “But do I have to eat the carrots?”

“What would your mum say?” Brax asked as he put the orange juice on the table before taking a seat next to the boy and tucked into his dinner.

“I have to eat them.” Connor sighed.

Brax laughed lightly. “You’ll grow up big and strong if you eat your veggies. And carrots help you to see in the dark.”

“Hmmm that’s what mummy says too,” Connor said before put a chip into his mouth. “Can you cut the fish fingers for me?”

“Sure,” Brax smiled as he cut up Connor’s fish fingers for him. “There you go.”

“Thanks Darryl.” Connor smiled before he tucked into his dinner.

“You know you can call me Brax.” Brax said and Connor furrowed his eyebrows before he shook his head.

“Oh Darryl, you know what my teacher said about our rocket?”

“Nah what did she say?” Brax questioned as he took a drink of his juice.

“It was brilliant,” Connor announced proudly. “And the best ones got hung from the ceiling. 5 of them and mines was one. The rest are just on the table in the back of the classroom.”

“Well I’m pleased we did a good job.” Brax smiled.

“It was the best of all I think.” Connor nodded just as the doorbell rang. Brax stood to his feet and walked across to the door and opened it to reveal Ruby standing at the other side.

“Can I help you?” Brax questioned as he looked at the unfamiliar girl.

“Eh, who are you?” Ruby questioned.

“I’m Darryl...Brax...well Darryl but everyone calls me Brax.”

“Darryl who is it?” Connor shouted from the kitchen.

“Everyone except Connor that is.” Brax laughed. “So, I guess you’re looking for Charlie but she is at work right now.”

“Oh okay.” Ruby nodded. “Eh can you just tell her Ruby came around to see her when she gets home?”

“Yeah I’ll let her know.” Brax said before Ruby walked away and he closed the door and walked back over to the kitchen table.

“Who was it?” Connor questioned.

“Eh some girl named Ruby,” Brax answered as he picked up his fork. “Do you know who she is?”

“Yes and no.” Connor shook his head. “She knew me when I was a baby but then mummy said she left for a long time but now she is back.”

“I see.” Brax nodded lightly, wondering who the girl could be. As far as he was aware Charlie didn’t have any siblings, but the girl seemed to remind him of Charlie, he thought they looked similar.

“She’s nice,” Connor smiled. “But her and mummy shouted to each other then she left and didn’t come back,” Connor shook his head. “She made mummy cry. But then me and mummy made a fort and had ice-cream in it. She smiled with me then. I think I helped her be happy.”

Brax smiled lightly. “Well she’s very lucky to have a kid as great as you,” Connor giggled shyly before taking a drink of his juice. “Right, we’ll get dinner finished then we’ll get you in the bath hmm.”

“Okays,” Connor nodded. “Then we watch a movie?”

Sure.” Brax smiled before he and Connor continued to eat their dinner.

Charlie yawned as she walked back into her house. She looked to the couch to see Brax sitting watching a repeat of some footie match, the TV on mute and subtitles on the bottom of the screen. Connor was lying over Brax, sound asleep. “Hey,” Charlie smiled lightly as she waked over to the couch and placed her bag down on the floor. “How has he been?” Charlie questioned as she lightly stroked the side of her sons head.

“Great,” Brax whispered for fear of waking the child. “He woke up after a bad dream around 10.30 and fell back asleep on me. I didn’t want to wake him so I’ve just left him here.” Brax spoke so quietly Charlie had to really listen to hear what he was saying.

“You wouldn’t have woken him,” Charlie shook her head as she put the sound up on the TV. "Once he’s out it would usually take a nuclear blast to wake him.” Charlie laughed lightly as she lifted her son into her arms. “I’ll be right back,” Charlie gave Brax a smile before she walked up the stairs and lay her son back down in his bed, before walking back down to join Brax. “So thank you so much for doing that tonight,” Charlie smiled as she appeared back in the living room and took a seat on the couch next to Brax.

“It’s no problem. He was no bother at all and it saved me from a boring night in my house all on my lonesome.”

“So you didn’t have any problems?” Charlie questioned.

“No,” Brax shook his head. “I gave him dinner, then he had his bath and then he wanted to watch a movie.”

“Madagascar?” Charlie questioned and Brax nodded. “He’s obsessed with that one right now.”

“It was pretty good actually.” Brax admitted. “You know for a children’s film.”

“Yeah.” Charlie agreed.

“So eh....a girl called Ruby came around looking for you,” Brax said. “I told her you were at work but she wanted me to let you know she came around.”

“Oh,” Charlie bit her lip. “Well thanks for letting me know I guess.”

“Is everything alright?” Brax questioned.

“Nothing has been right for me since Lily.” Charlie spat.

“Sorry Charlie I -”

“No, it just....” Charlie exhaled lightly. She may as well tell him. With Ruby being back it was bound to come out again. She was actually surprised Colleen hadn’t told him already anyways. “Ruby, she’s....she’s my daughter,” Charlie started before she took a deep breath. “I was young, only just 14 when she was born. I couldn’t be a mother to her,” Charlie shook her head lightly as Brax listened intently. “My mum and dad brought her up. A couple of years ago she eh....she found out who I really was and she ran off but now she’s back and....Angelo and I are in such a mess and then I’m still trying to cope with never having Lily around again and always having to be strong for Connor and now she’s back and it’s all too much.” Charlie let her tear escape her eye as she bowed her down. Brax exhaled lightly as he moved closer to Charlie on the couch and tentatively put his arm around her. “I kept telling myself I wanted Ruby around after losing Lily but now she is here I don’t know what to say to her.” Charlie shook her head.

“Well it’s not going to come back over night,” Brax said softly. “It’ll probably take a long time for you two to get things sorted out.”

“I know,” Charlie nodded. “And we did start to make slight progress but then, Lily, she said....” Charlie trailed off. “I guess we just need time.”

“Yeah.” Brax nodded. He felt like saying something in regards to Lily, but he knew that it was a touchy subject, so he just let her take the lead in the conversation.

“I eh....” Charlie wiped the tears from her eyes. “Sorry you don’t need to hear any of this.”

“Hey Charlie I told you if you wanted to talk about anything that I’d be here to listen.” Brax said as he gave her arm a slightly squeeze of reassurance.

“No, I eh....it’s not fair to dump all my problems on you. Thanks again for watching Connor.” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch and walked over her bag, where she took out her wallet. “Let me give you something.”

“Don’t be silly,” Brax shook his head. “I don’t want your money. I’m a friend so call it a favour.”

“No, I eh...I’d feel better if I could give you something,” Charlie said. “Please.”

“How about we just say that you owe me.” Brax smiled.

“Okay.” Charlie nodded her head as she opened the door and showed Brax out before closing and locking it. She exhaled lightly as she rested her head against the door, and only hoped that things would get easier soon.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 13

Ruby poured the boiling water into the cup, before adding the sugar and giving it a stir, before bringing it up to her mouth and taking a drink. She heard the sounds of the front door opening and smiled as she saw Rachel walking into the house. “Hey,” Ruby smiled. “How was work?”

“Glad to be finished,” Rachel said. “How was your day? Have you managed to get Charlie yet?”

“Not yet,” Ruby shook her head. “I went round last night but she was at work so....”

Rachel nodded lightly as she walked into the kitchen and looked down at the cup in Ruby’s hand. “Is that coffee?”

Ruby nodded lightly as she took another drink. Rachel exhaled lightly as she took the cup from Ruby’s hands and poured the coffee down the sink. “You shouldn’t be drinking coffee, Ruby. It’s not good for your baby.”

“It’s not my baby.” Ruby shook her head. “I’m just the oven, so to speak.”

“Ruby whether you are keeping this baby or not you have to do everything properly and what’s the right way for the baby. So no coffee, okay.”

“Okay no more coffee.” Ruby sighed. “So eh....it’s been a few days since the offer, do you have an answer yet?”

Rachel exhaled lightly before she nodded her head. “We would love to adopt this child.” Rachel smiled. “But like we’ve said, we think you need to talk with Charlie and know that’ll she’ll support you, because it’s going to be hard for you.”

Ruby sighed lightly. “I’m not getting an abortion because I think it would hurt her too much,” Ruby said. “The least she can do would be support my decision to want to give this kid a better life.”

“Ruby, I can see how you get that, but, at the end of the day you’re going to give up a baby. Charlie’s grandchild and -”

“So you think it will be worse? Like she’s losing Lily again? The child is there but she can’t be a grandmother to it?”

“It’s not really about Lily for me,” Rachel shook her head. “No matter what choice you make, whether that’s abortion, adoption or raising the baby it’s going to be hard for Charlie.”

“Well not as hard as it’ll be for me, but I guess I can see your point,” Ruby sighed. “I’ll go soon and see if she’ll talk.”

Rachel smiled lightly. “Ruby....I don’t want to be mucked around here. I’ve have enough heart ache of my own when it comes to children. So just make your mind up fully before you -”

“My mind has been made up,” Ruby said. “I am going to do this with or without Charlie’s support. I’m 18 and it’s my choice. Rachel in 8 months time this baby will be in your arms. Your child, not mines, definitely not Lee’s. But yours and Tony’s. Little baby Holden. You can trust me, Rach, I’m not going to change my mind.” Rachel took a deep breath before she pulled Ruby into a hug. She wanted a child so much and Ruby was going to make that happen. All she could do was trust her.

Ruby took a deep breath before she knocked on the door of Charlie’s home. She felt a slight smile come to her face as she heard footsteps, but then as the door opened, she began to feel more nervous. “Ruby,” Bianca smiled as she answered the door. “I heard you were back.” Bianca pulled Ruby into a hug.

“Hi,” Ruby said quietly as she pulled back, and remained standing outside on the step. “Eh is Charlie in?”

“Ruby,” Connor smiled as he pushed passed Bianca to see who was at the door. “I’ve not see you for days. Where you been?”

“I’ve just been busy,” Ruby answered. “Maybe I’ll be able to spend time with you soon though.” Ruby said and Connor nodded before he ran back to his cartoons. “Is Charlie in?” Ruby asked.

“No,” Bianca shook her head. “She’s at the hospital.”

“Oh,” Ruby’s eyes widened in worry. “Is she okay? What happened?”

“Nothing like that,” Bianca shook her head. “She’s at a bereavement group for parents who’ve lost children to SIDS.” Bianca told her.

“Oh well that’s good she’s getting help and support,” Ruby said. “Does Angelo go with her?”

“No,” Bianca laughed. “He said he didn’t need people telling him how to grieve.”

“Well I don’t really think that’s what they do, is it?” Ruby questioned.

“Can’t say I’ve ever had to go to one so I don’t know.” Bianca shook her head. “But I don’t expect that’s what they do.”

“Right well can you just tell her that I came around?” Ruby questioned.

“You could come in and wait if you wanted.” Bianca said. “She shouldn’t be much longer.”

“I’m not sure it’s the best idea.” Ruby shook her head. “I eh...I think I really upset her and -”

“She told me what happened.” Bianca said. “Probably not the best thing to say but she does want to sort things out with you so I don’t think she’ll mind if you are here.”

Ruby nodded lightly before she stepped into the house and took a seat next to Connor on the couch. “So, how have you been?” Ruby questioned as she looked to Bianca who sat down on the armchair.

“Not bad.” Bianca smiled.

“Are you still with Liam?” Ruby questioned.

“No, no,” Bianca shook her head. “We were engaged for a while, but it ended last year.”

“Ah I’m sorry.” Ruby said.

“Don’t be,” Bianca shook her head. “It just wasn’t meant to be. And I’m loving being single at the moment. Guys are just too much bother.”

Ruby laughed lightly as she nodded her head. “I’ll agree with you on that one.”

“For now little squirt here is the only man in my life.” Bianca smiled. “Isn’t that right boy?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded.

“And I’m your favourite lady, right?” Bianca teased.

“No, Bee-Bee, no,” Connor shook his head. “My mummy is my favourite lady in the whole wide world,” Connor moved his arms out in a big circular motion. “You is second though.”

Bianca laughed lightly as the door opened and Charlie walked into the house. “Ruby.” Charlie said, slightly surprised to see her daughter sitting there.

Hi mummy.” Connor smiled.

“Hey squirt.” Charlie smiled.

Bianca noticed the exchange between Charlie and Ruby and felt it was best to leave them to talk. “Right little man it’s time you had a bath, let’s go.” Connor climbed down from the couch and ran off up the stairs with Bianca following. Charlie gave her a thankful smile in passing before she too disappeared off up the stairs.

“Hey,” Ruby smiled lightly at Charlie as she took a seat next to her on the couch. “I eh...I hope you don’t mind me coming around.”

“I’m a bit surprised really,” Charlie said. “But we do need to talk so...”

“I did come around last night but you were working. I told your boyfriend that I came, did he tell you?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “I didn’t get home from work till midnight so it was obviously too late to come find you. Well I didn’t know your number or where you are staying so I couldn’t really even if I wanted too. Then I was working all morning then I had to give Connor his dinner then I had somewhere to be tonight so,” Charlie said before she bit her lip.

“It’s okay,” Ruby nodded. “I don’t expect you to stop your schedule just for me.”

“Oh and he’s not my boyfriend,” Charlie said. “I’m nowhere near ready to be with anyone. And I’m still so completely in love with Angelo so.....anyways eh.....” Charlie trailed off. “I guess eh, you came here to say something so....”

“I’m sorry,” Ruby said. “What I said about Lily, I -”

“Can you just not talk about Lily?” Charlie questioned. “I am beyond upset with what you said but I’ll let it go because you’re going through a lot right now. But I don’t want you ever taking about Lily in that way again, or even about Lily at all. You didn’t know her and you don’t have the right.”

Ruby pursed her lips together as she nodded her head. “Fair enough.”

“So did you only come around to apologise?” Charlie questioned and Ruby shook her head lightly.

“I think we still need to talk about the adoption.” Ruby said. “Charlie I just want you to support me. This is a hard enough choice to make without you having to disapprove. I want what’s best for my child and I believe that Tony and Rachel will be far better parents to it than I ever could be and -”

“Tony and Rachel?” Charlie questioned. “You’re going to give him to Tony and Rachel?”

Ruby nodded lightly. “They have first offer. If they say no I’ll go to an agency and tell them to find me some parents.”

“So nothing I’ll say will make you change your mind?” Charlie questioned. “Not even telling you that watching mum and dad raise you was one of the hardest things that I’ve had to do. And you were still in my life, calling me Cha-Cha and you thought the world of me as a sister, but it still wasn’t enough.” Charlie sniffed back. “I longed for you to call me mummy. I made the biggest mistake in my life by giving you up and I know that if you give up this baby you will regret it every day of your life.”

Ruby took a deep breath as a tear escaped her eye. “I’ve made up my mind. I’m giving this child up. All I ask for is that you support me because I know it’s not going to easy, but I do believe in my heart that it’s for the best. I want what’s best for this child and that is Tony and Rachel.”

“And how easy do you think it’ll be to see that child around town calling Rachel mummy, knowing you only as a girl who lives here?”

“We’ll deal with that when it comes.” Ruby said. “Look, I’m not stupid. I know this is going to be hard but with your help I believe that I can get through it.”

“Oh Ruby...” Charlie shook her head as she reached forward and tucked her hair behind her ear, before cupping her daughter’s cheek in her hand and rubbing it lightly with her thumb. “If this is what you are saying you want then...” Charlie pursed her lips together before she gave a slightly nod of her head. “I’ll support you.”

Ruby smiled lightly. “Don’t really like the idea though do you?” Ruby questioned as she saw the look on Charlie’s face.

Charlie shook her head. “No. But I’m not always going to like what you do. Sometimes I might not even feel that I like you, but I’m always going to love you. And if this is the choice you’ve made then I’m going to be with you and supporting you every step of the way.” Ruby smiled lightly before she wrapped her arms around Charlie. Charlie wrapped her arms around her daughter, and placed a soft kiss on her temple as she held her in the hug.

“Thank you,” Ruby smiled as she remained in the embrace for a few moments longer, before she pulled back. “And did I really call you Cha-Cha?”

“You did,” Charlie nodded. “You couldn’t say Charlie and don’t even get me started on how you said Charlotte,” Charlie managed a small laugh. “So for the first 4 years of your life I was Cha-Cha.”

“I don’t remember that.” Ruby shook her head.

Charlie exhaled lightly before she stood up from the couch and walked over to the cabinet and opened the drawer and pulled out the picture that Connor had drawn from Ruby earlier that week. “Before I forget, Connor wanted me to give this to you,” Ruby smiled as she took the drawing in her hand. She looked down at the drawing to see it sort of resembled two people kicking a soccer ball around on some grass. “I think it’s supposed to be you and him playing soccer.” Charlie said.

“Ah yeah, I remember I told him we could play sometime,” Ruby smiled. “He’s such a sweet kid, Charlie.”

“Yeah.” Charlie smiled.

“Maybe if it was okay with you I eh....Connor and I could hang out sometime? I could watch him when -”

“I think Connor would like that,” Charlie smiled. “I work till 5 on a Monday so maybe you could pick him up from school at 3 and hang out till I get home.”

“Yeah, I’d like that, thanks.” Ruby smiled before she looked down to the picture once more.

Thank you Sarah, spotd1, Zoe, RoRo90 and Soph1303 for the comments.

Chapter 14

Bianca walked down the stairs and back into the living room to see Ruby was no longer there. She exhaled lightly as she walked over to the kitchen and saw Charlie making herself a coffee. “So, squirt is all washed up and has had a story read to him, but won’t go to sleep until he gets his goodnight kiss for mummy.” Bianca smiled as she leaned against the doorframe.

“I’ll go up soon,” Charlie replied. “Can I get you a coffee?”

“No thanks,” Bianca shook her head. “I had one not long before you got back,” Charlie nodded lightly as she threw the spoon into the sink, before taking a drink. “So Ruby didn’t stay for long. Everything okay there?”

“She’s giving the baby up for adoption.” Charlie exhaled as she leaned herself against the worktop. “I hate the idea but there’s no changing her mind. I guess all I can do if I don’t want to lose her again is support her.”

“Maybe she’ll change her mind. She’s only just found this out. There’s a lot to think about.”

“She wants to give the baby to Tony and Rachel. Her mind seems pretty made up.” Charlie sighed.

“Tony and Rachel?” Bianca questioned. “How’s that going to work? It’s a small town. It’ll be really hard for Ruby to see the baby and such will it not?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “I tried to tell her but she’s not.....” Charlie trailed off. “Look she’s 18, I can’t tell her what to do,” Charlie shook her head. “I’m just going to need to accept this as her choice.”

“Well it’s still early days so you never know, she might change her mind.” Bianca smiled lightly as she rubbed Charlie’s arm. “It must be really difficult for you to hear she wants to give her child up. Especially with Lily not long in -”

“Do not finish that sentence, Bianca.” Charlie shrugged her arm back so Bianca’s hand fell from touch before she walked out of the kitchen and into the living room. Bianca exhaled lightly as she followed her friend.

“I’m sorry. I just thought that it would be hard with you losing Lily to see her -”

“Stop it,” Charlie yelled as she banged her coffee cup down on the coffee table, causing some to spill out over the edges of the cup and onto the table. “I wish everyone would stop referring everything back to Lily. Oh Charlie didn’t come to the Christmas party at the surf club; it must be because it’s too hard because Lily isn’t here. Charlie left the barbeque early; something must have reminded her of Lily. Charlie doesn’t want Ruby to give her baby up for adoption; it must be because it will remind her of how hard it was losing Lily....” Charlie trailed off as she took a deep breath, trying to keep herself composed. “You know what the hardest part is?” Charlie questioned. “This. The fact that everyone keeps assuming things like this. Regardless of whether Lily was still here or not, I don’t want Ruby to give this child up for adoption because I know what it’s like watching someone else raise your child and how big a mistake it is.”

“I’m sorry,” Bianca said quietly. “Look....maybe you could get her to change to her mind?”

“No, I can’t do that,” Charlie sighed lightly. “I tried to tell her how hard it would it, but she’s adamant that she is going to give this baby up. I may not like the idea, but I will be there for her and support her, because that is what mothers do. Now I need to go and see to Connor,” Charlie said as she walked towards the stairs. “I won’t be long.” Charlie said before she ran up the stairs. Bianca exhaled lightly as she walked through to the kitchen and picked up a cloth and went to clean up the coffee spill.

Ruby walked back into Tony and Rachel’s house and walked over to the fridge where she pulled out a bottle of water. “Hey how did it go with Charlie?” Tony questioned as he walked into the kitchen with Rachel following not too far behind him.

“Okay,” Ruby smiled lightly. “She said she’ll support my decision and be there for me.”

“That’s good,” Rachel smiled. “Is she going to come to talk with us about how we are going to do this?”

“No,” Ruby answered sadly. “But one step at a time. I have her support at right now that’s enough. But really, I’m sure the 3 of us can sort that out anyways.”

“I guess so,” Tony nodded lightly as he took a seat and the table, with Rachel and Ruby following. “So obviously we need to make this whole thing legal, you know, you can’t just give us your baby.”

“It’s not my baby,” Ruby shook her head. “It’s yours.”

“Well even so Ruby, we can’t just take it from you.” Rachel said. “We’ll need to go through the correct procedures.”

“Okay, so what, Morag would need to help?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah she could,” Tony smiled. “And there’s also the question of uhm...” Tony brushed his hand against the table as he looked away from Ruby. “Would you want any sort of compensation?”

“Are you seriously asking me if I want money for this baby?” Ruby questioned, sounding shocked. “No no no,” Ruby shook her head. “I just want to know that this baby is going to be loved and well cared for and I know that it’ll have that with you.”

Rachel smiled lightly as Tony took her hand and squeezed it. “Ruby, I know I’ve already said this before but you’re not going to muck us around are you? Because I don’t want to start buying things and getting excited about this baby only for you to turn back on your word.”

“Rachel,” Ruby leaned forward and placed her hand on her arm. “I’m not going to change my mind on this. You can trust me. This child is going to be yours.”

Rachel and Tony looked at each other and smiled lovingly. “We’re going to have a baby.” They leaned forward and leaned their forehead against each other’s.

“I’ll leave you guys alone.” Ruby said as she stood up from the table and left the room, leaving Tony and Rachel to celebrate the news that after more than 2 years of trying and failing, they were finally going to be parents.

“Sorry about that,” Charlie said as she walked back down the stairs. “He wanted a second story. Apparently you didn’t do the voices right so he couldn’t sleep because of it.” Charlie laughed lightly as she sat down on the couch next to Bianca.

“And here’s me thinking I did a brilliant badger impression.” Bianca laughed.

“He used to say yours was better than mines,” Charlie told her. “I think since Lily he’s just been....well he’s....it’s been hard for all of us.”

“How was the group tonight?” Bianca questioned.

“A new couple turned up tonight. They lost their child 4 years ago, but she’s still going on like it was last month,” Charlie answered. “I can’t....they’ve always said over time it would get easier to deal with. Obviously the pain will never go away but it gets easier to continue with your life, but after seeing this woman....” Charlie shook her head. “What if the same thing happens with me? She’s not been able to do anything. She doesn’t work, she hasn’t attended anything with her friends, you know birthdays, and Christmas....she just locks herself away and cries.”

“Charlie you’re already in a far better place than you were 8 months ago. Than a few months ago, even.” Bianca said softly as she put her hand on Charlie’s arm in comfort. “You’ve got us to help you through this and little Connor has done more than you’ll ever know. I know that you’re always going to be hurt by this, but you’re not letting it end your life. Lily wouldn’t want that would she?” Bianca asked tentatively.

Charlie shook her head lightly. “But I don’t think Lily would have wanted Angelo and I to end up how we have.” Charlie said as she walked over to the cabinet and opened the top drawer, picking up the divorce papers and walking back over to the couch and taking a seat as she handed the papers to Bianca.

“Divorce?” Bianca questioned. “Is it what you want?”

Charlie shook her head. “Not really,” Charlie sniffed back. “I eh.....I love him so much. But he walked out on me when I needed him most. He says he wants us to try again but the way he is with Connor, I can’t....he really would need to make major changes before I even considered trying this again with him.”

“You think he would change if he knew you’d take him back?” Bianca questioned.

“I guess if I really want to know I’m going to have to talk to him about it.” Charlie sighed lightly.

“When do you think you’ll do that?” Bianca questioned.

Charlie exhaled lightly. “Well Connor is supposed to be going to his on Saturday, so I guess I will mention something then.”

“Well I hope it goes how you want it too.” Bianca smiled.

“Do you think he deserves me to take him back?” Charlie questioned.

Bianca pursed her lips together. “What I think doesn’t matter. If you love Angelo and think he is worthy of a second chance then you give him that. Follow what it tells you to in here.” Bianca said as she put her hand over her heart. “But if you want to follow your head, I think it’ll tell you to go ahead with this divorce, right?” Charlie pursed her lips together before she took a deep breath. She nodded her head lightly and thought hard about what Bianca said, what did she go with? Her head and keep away from restarting any sort of relationship with Angelo, or did she follow her heart, and give the man she loved more than anything a second chance?

Thank you everyone. :wub:

Chapter 15

Charlie had a busy Friday at work, and a nice Friday evening chilling out at home with her son, and before she knew it, it was Saturday morning and time for Connor to go to Angelo’s. “Right squirt you got everything ready?” Charlie asked as she leaned herself against the doorframe of his bedroom.

“I guess,” Connor sighed as he looked up from playing on his DS. “If I have too.”

“C’mon you might be surprised.” Charlie smiled as she walked into the room and sat down on the bed next to her son. Connor turned the DS off and crawled closer to his mother.

“But you said you wouldn’t make me.” Connor shook his head. “I don’t want to go to daddy’s.”

“How about we go this one last time?” Charlie questioned. “And if daddy isn’t nice to you or he sends you home tonight then I won’t make you go again?”

“Just this one last time then.” Connor said before he jumped off his bed and knelt down on the floor and stuck his head under his bed.

“What you doing?” Charlie questioned.

“You’ll see.” Connor answered before he appeared back in front of her with a piece of paper in his hand. He ran over to his school bag and pulled out his pencil case, and took out a pencil before running back over to his mother. “You sign your name so you can’t break the promise.”

“Aww sweetheart I won’t,” Charlie shook her head as she cupped Connors face in her hand. “I promise.”

“Write your name then.” Connor said as he handed Charlie the pencil. Charlie exhaled lightly as she started to write her name. As she got to the L in Charlie she paused and looked up at her son.

“So are we wanting Charlie or Charlotte?” Charlie questioned wanting to get this exactly how Connor wanted it. “And what about my middle name and surname?”

“Yeah yeah all of it,” Connor nodded. “You full name, Charlotte.” Connor giggled.

Charlie had got to Charlotte Michelle, when once again she paused. Was she Charlotte Michelle Buckton or Charlotte Michelle Rosetta? She and Angelo were separated, although still technically married. So, technically she should be Rosetta, although in her professional life she’d remained Sergeant Buckton. She sighed lightly before scribbling Rosetta down on the sheet of paper and handing it down to her son. “There you go.” Connor looked down at the signed bit of paper and smiled before leaving it on his bedside table.

“Now you promised,” Connor said as he waved his index finger in front of Charlie’s face. “So no breaking it.”

“Oi.” Charlie said as she pulled Connor close to her, holding her hands around his waist. “Don’t get cheeky with mummy.” Charlie said just as the doorbell rang and Charlie loosened her grasp on Connor as he ran down the stairs to answer it. Charlie picked up Connors overnight bag before walking down the stairs, to see Angelo standing at the other side of the door.

“It’s just daddy.” Connor sighed as he looked up to his mother, unimpressed.

“Angelo. I thought I was bringing him to you?”

“Yeah that was the plan but I popped into the restaurant this morning so I thought while I was out I may as well just come and pick him up.”

“Oh wow,” Charlie smiled. “Well for you that’s actually a pretty big effort. I’m impressed.”

Angelo sighed lightly in annoyance. “I’m trying here Charlie; you don’t need to be like that.”

“I’m not,” Charlie shook her head. “I actually am impressed at the effort,” Charlie gave Angelo a smile, which he returned.

“I’m just going to get my DS.” Connor said before he ran off back up the stairs.

“Do eh...you want to come inside until he’s ready?” Charlie asked and Angelo nodded as he stepped into the house. “Look Angelo,” Charlie started, before she took a deep breath to calm her sudden nerves. “I eh....about the divorce I -”

“I told you....I want to win you back and -”

“I know and eh....if you can prove to me that you’re going to change and stop all this with Connor....I don’t really get where it all came from but as long as you prove to me that you’ll sort things with him and maybe....I think if you came to the bereavement groups with me it would help you greatly in your grief.”

“I told you Charlie, I don’t need people telling me how to grieve.”

“That’s not what they do.” Charlie shook her head. “Angelo, please....I think it’ll help you in moving past what happened and we can rebuild us, because it’s what I want.”

“Really?” Angelo asked as he felt a smile form on his face. Charlie nodded lightly.

“Yeah, but like I say, things have to change first. Especially your relationship with Connor.”

“Look Charlie, I didn’t want to tell you this, but...maybe I have to so you can understand why I am the way I am now with Connor,” Angelo took a deep breath as he walked closer to her. “It was his fault,” Angelo said. “Lily’s death, he eh -”

“Whoa, what do you mean it was his fault?” Charlie questioned. “She died....it was SIDS.”

“I don’t believe it was,” Angelo shook his head. “A couple of days before she died, Connor was out playing in the garden with his soccer ball. Eh...Lily was lying in the bouncy chair and I was sitting next to her on the porch. I think you’d nipped out to get more nappy’s or baby wipes or something like that,” Angelo took a deep breath before talking again. “Anyways, Connor kicked the ball and it bounced off the porch and rolled across it and hit the bouncy chair.”

“So that doesn’t make it his fault.” Charlie shook her head.

“What if it jolted her, you know, she could have knocked her head on the side of the chair or -”

“I can’t believe you just said that,” Charlie shook her head in disgust. “The chair is soft. The ball rolled across the porch it could hardly have been at great speed or force, he was 4-years-old.”

“It’s what I believe.” Angelo raised his voice.

“Rachel confirmed it was SIDS. She checked and there were no head injuries, there was no illness that we hadn’t picked up,” Charlie said. “She died from SIDS and the fact that you blame our son...” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “It disgusts me and -”

“Well I do,” Angelo raised his voice. “It was Connor’s fault. He killed Lily.” Angelo yelled and they heard the sounds of the back door slamming shut.

“Connor,” Charlie shouted as she ran through the kitchen and ran out the door to see garden gate was left open. “Connor.” Charlie shouted as she ran out onto the street, but her son was nowhere to be seen. She ran back into the house and up the stairs. Connor wasn’t in his bedroom, her bedroom or the bathroom. She took a deep breath before she ran back down the stairs and out onto the street, yelling out for her son.

Ruby and Rachel walked into the diner and took a seat. They were going to have some lunch together, before Rachel’s shift at the hospital started. “So, I called Morag this morning,” Ruby said. “I think she was quiet surprised to hear my voice actually.”

“Well it would have been a while.” Rachel said.

“Yeah I guess,” Ruby exhaled. “So she said she was coming down here in a fortnight’s time, but she might not be able to get much done in terms of speaking with us about the adoption. She said it depends on how Charlie is that weekend.”

“Right,” Rachel nodded.

“Does she have her moments?” Ruby questioned. “Or maybe Morag being here makes her -”

“When did you say Morag was coming?” Rachel questioned.

“In a fortnight. The 5-7th of March.” Ruby answered. “Why?”

“Oh gosh,” Rachel said. “Eh the 6th, its Lily’s first birthday.”

“Oh,” Ruby said sadly. “I guess it’s going to be a hard weekend for her.”

“Yeah,” Rachel nodded. “It will be.”

“They say the first birthday without the loved one, the first anniversary of death is always the hardest to get through.” Ruby said. “Do you know if they have anything special planned?”

“I’m not sure Rubes,” Rachel shook her head. “But I can understand why Morag is going to put Charlie before anything with us.”

“Completely,” Ruby nodded. “Do eh....do you think I should say something to her?”

“No,” Rachel shook her head. “It’s a difficult subject, so unless Charlie mentions something to you, I wouldn’t.”

“I wish I could have met her.” Ruby smiled sadly.

“She was a lovely baby,” Rachel smiled fondly. “She had the cutest little smile. Charlie and Angelo were besotted with her. It’s such a shame to see what’s happened to them now.”

“Yeah,” Ruby agreed. “I always thought they would last forever,” Ruby said. “They always seemed so in love and perfect for each other. I guess losing a child....” Ruby trailed off as she shook her head. “Who knows maybe once they’ve have time to grieve they’ll find their way back to each other.”

“Well it would bring them some happiness, wouldn’t it?” Rachel questioned. “They’ve had an awful 8 months. Maybe them reconciling could bring them that little bit of happiness back.”

“Maybe,” Ruby nodded. “Anyways, I am starving so let’s order.” Ruby said before she looked down to the menu to decide what she wanted to eat.

Thank you RoRo90, Caroline77, Sarah, Zoe, Spotd1, Aden_Belle and soph1303 for commenting. :wub: And Soph, I'm afraid you can't steal Connor just yet, I need him for the story! :P

Chapter 16

Charlie was sitting in the police station, pulling on the rim of the styrofoam cup, leaving the little bits she was pulling off on the table. “You know you're supposed to drink the coffee, not demolish the cup.” Watson said as she sat down next to her.

“Do you have people out looking yet?” Charlie asked as she put the cup down on the table and looked up to her.

“They’re getting sorted.” Georgie nodded. “Did you bring a picture of him with you?”

“No, I left in such a rush. My son’s ran away. I just wanted to find him,” Charlie shook her head as she felt herself welling up with tears. “But they all know him anyways.”

“Yeah the officers do, but to show the members of the public.” Georgie said.

“My desk,” Charlie answered. “There’s a picture of him on my desk.” Charlie jumped up from the chair and ran through to her desk, where she picked up the photo of her son. “It was taken a few months ago, so it’s pretty recent.” Charlie said as she handed the picture to Georgie.

“Thanks,” Georgie said. “And you should probably go home.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I can’t go home when my son is out there somewhere. I need to go and look for him too.”

“Charlie, you need to go home in case he comes home.”

“No.” Charlie raised her voice. “I’m going to look for my son.” Charlie yelled before she ran from the station and jumped into her car, and sped off back to Summer Bay. She parked the car outside the surf club, before she ran down to the beach. Connor liked going to the beach, and Charlie thought that perhaps he’d gone down there, but as she ran along the beach, there was no signs of him.

“Charlie,” Charlie heard the familiar voice. She turned her head to see Brax walking down the beach with his surf board under his arm. “How’s it going?”

“I don’t have the time to talk.” Charlie shook her head as she tried to run away, but Brax took hold of her arm, causing her to turn to face him.

“Hey, hey, what’s wrong?” Brax asked as he put the surf board down in the sand and rubbed her arm in comfort.

“It’s Connor,” Charlie cried. “He’s gone missing.”

“What do you mean he’s gone missing?” Brax questioned.

“Exactly what I say.” Charlie yelled. “He must have heard me and Angelo arguing because we were and the door slammed....he’s not at home....he’s....I don’t know where he is....I have to go.” Charlie shouted before she ran off up the beach. Brax left his surf board sitting in the sand and threw his towel from over his shoulder down next it and ran off from beach.

Ruby was sitting on the beach, looking out to the ocean and watching as he rode the waves. She placed her hand lightly onto her stomach and pursed her lips together as a wave of nausea washed over her. She picked up her bottle of water and took a drink, which to her surprise, actually seemed to ease her sickness. The surfer walked out of the water and put his board into the sand, before picking up his towel and drying his body. “Can I help you?” He asked.

“No.” Ruby shook her head.

“Then why are you staring at me?”

“Sorry I eh....you’re a pretty impressive surfer.” Ruby smiled lightly.

The boy laughed as he put his towel on the floor before walking closer to Ruby. “Thanks. Do you surf?”

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “Well I did once or twice a couple of years ago. My boyfriend started to teach me. Well my ex-boyfriend. But then I...” Ruby trailed off. “Well I moved away from here.”

“Ah you used to live here?” He questioned and Ruby nodded. “Who was you boyfriend, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Uh....Xavier Austin,” Ruby answered. “Do you know him?”

“Yeah, we used to be mates,” He smiled. “Well still are really, but he went to Melbourne. He’s training to be a police officer.”

“Xav, a cop?” Ruby laughed. “Didn’t see that one coming.”

“Nah, he seems to be enjoying it though.” The boy smiled. “I’m Romeo by the way.”

“Ruby.” Ruby smiled as she shook his hand.

“Ruby Buckton by any chance?” Romeo asked.

“Yeah that’s me.” Ruby nodded. “How did you....” Ruby trailed off.

“Colleen.” They both said at the same time.

“She’s got a big mouth.” Romeo said. “I eh...I live at the Caravan Park with Nicole, Roo, Marilyn and Alf. Colleen was around and she was telling Alf all about how you are back and exactly what she thinks of it.”

“Oh,” Ruby exhaled lightly. “I guess you don’t think much of me then.”

“I don’t know you.” Romeo shook his head. “It’s not my place to judge you.” Ruby smiled lightly as she looked up to Romeo who was also smiling down at her. “So you ever thought about giving surfing another go?”

“Maybe if I found the right teacher.” Ruby replied.

“Well I can give you lessons if you want?” Romeo smiled.

“Oh no I don’t want to be of any trouble.” Ruby shook her head.

“You wouldn’t be.” Romeo shook his head. “It’s my job. I run a surf school.”

“Oh, well ehm...I don’t have any money so I -”

“How about I give you a lesson on the house?” Romeo smiled. “And if you enjoy it then I’m sure we can work something out.”

“Yeah, sure, that sounds good.” Ruby smiled. As Ruby and Romeo sat talking on the beach, in the distance a man stood and watched them. He formed a fist in his hand as anger ran through him.

Brax was driving his Ute along the road. He’d been looking for the boy for almost 3 hours now. For all he knew he could have been found by now, but there was still a chance he hadn’t, so he was going to keep looking for that little bit longer, before going back into the bay. He was at the edge of the bush, somewhere Brax always ran off to when he was younger, looking for bugs and creepy little things, that a lot of little boys were into. He parked the Ute at the side of the road, and got out, and walked quickly down the slight slope before walking through the area. “Connor,” Brax shouted. “Connor mate, are you about?” Brax kept walking through the bush, as he shouted out for the boy. “Squirt, its Darryl. Mummy is really worried about you. You’re not going to get in trouble. She just wants to know you are safe.” Brax exhaled lightly as he continued to walk through the bush, calling out for the boy. After a good 15, 20 minutes, he heard a slight noise, like someone was in pain. “Connor?”

“No, go away.” Brax recognised the little voice. It was definitely Connor.

“Where are you squirt?” Brax questioned. “It’s Darryl.”

“Mummy’s friend Darryl?” Connor questioned.

“Yeah that’s the one.” Brax answered. Connor crawled out from some bushes, letting them scrape him arms on the way out.

“It’s itchy.” Connor said as he itched his ankle. It was red and slightly swollen, which caused Brax’s eyes to widen.

“What happened mate?” Brax asked as he batted the boys hand away for closer inspection.

Connor shrugged his shoulders. “It hurted then it itched,” Connor answered. “My head hurts too and my ankle is getting painy.” Brax exhaled lightly as he continued to look at his ankle. There were two tiny hole like wounds in the middle of the red and swollen area.

“Hey, squirt you are freezing.” Brax said as he lifted him up and started walking back through the bush to his car.

“No, I’m hot and I want my mummy.” Connor started to cry, as Brax picked up his pace to get back to his Ute.

“You’ll get mummy soon.” Brax said, trying not to show panic in his voice to scare the boy any more than he already was.

Sarah, Spotd1, beebee, Freakie42, Sabrina, RoRo90, Aden_Belle, soph1303 and Zoe thank you so much. :wub: You're comments make me smile. :D

Chapter 17

Charlie was sitting on out in the corridor, her head in her hands as she was overcome with worry for her young son. Sid was in the room with him now, and Charlie had been instructed to wait outside, until Sid had a diagnosis for her. Charlie felt like hours had passed before the door opened and Sid walked out in the hall, whereas in reality it had only been around 20 minutes, half an hour. “Sid,” Charlie gave him a questioning look. “What’s wrong?” Charlie stood up from the chair, flustered.

“Spider bite,” Sid said softly. “Luckily the spider didn’t inject too much venom, so it’s not so serious, but I’ve administered some antivenom, and would like to keep him in overnight just to be on the safe side.” Charlie nodded lightly as she breathed a small sigh of relief.

“So there’s no damage? He’ll be okay?”

“Yeah,” Sid nodded lightly. “He’ll be fine. And he’s still a little chatterbox.” Sid laughed lightly. “Oh and try not to get him to itch the wound. I’ll bring some cream for him that should help ease it and should be applied a couple of times a day until the itching stops.”

“How long will it itch for?” Charlie questioned.

“I’d say only a few days.” Sid answered. “Luckily it wasn’t too serious.”

“Okay, well thank you.” Charlie smiled lightly.

“I’ll let you get to your son.” Sid said before he walked away and Charlie walked into the room.

“I’s is really sorry.” Connor said quietly as Charlie took a seat on the chair next to the bed. Charlie exhaled lightly as she cupped her son’s face in her hand.

“Aww sweetie don’t you ever ever run away again.” Charlie tried to be authoritative, but considering where her son was, she was finding it hard.

“I’s said I’s sorry,” Connor bowed his head down sadly. “Daddy blamed me for Lily.”

“Daddy is wrong, okay.” Charlie said as she stroked her son’s forehead. “You are not to blame for what happened. No-one is.”

“But daddy said it was me.” Connor sniffed back. “I really didn’t mean it.” Connor’s voice broke as a tear rolled down his cheek. “I didn’t want her to die.”

“Hey hey,” Charlie shook her head as she pulled Connor closer to her and into a hug. She placed a soft kiss on his head as she rubbed his back.

“This was not your fault,” Charlie answered. “It was no-one’s fault. Daddy is wrong and you are not to blame.”

“You no lie to me?” Connor questioned as he pulled back from the hug and looked up to her. Charlie felt her heart sink. She hated Angelo for how he was making her son feel. She wiped the tears from his little tear stained cheeks as she shook her head, and pursed her lips together, to stop her own tears from falling.

“Never sweet pea.” Charlie answered. “Don’t itch it.” Charlie batted Connor’s hand away as he tried to reach down to his ankle.

“Why does daddy say it was me then?” Connor asked sadly.

“I don’t know,” Charlie shook her head. “Daddy is....” Charlie trailed off as there was a knock at the door and Brax walked into the room, with a bag of haribo in one hand, and a little teddy lion in his other.

“Hey squirt,” Brax smiled. “How you feeling?”

“My ankle is itchy but I’m not allowed to itch it.” Connor sighed as he wiped his hands across his face. “Is them haribo for me?” Connor’s eyes lit up as he saw them.

“Ahh I don’t know mummy, what do you think?” Brax questioned as he looked to Charlie. “Do you think he’s allowed them?”

“Well maybe he could have one.” Charlie joked.

“Mummy,” Connor gasped. “You knows I love haribo and theys will make me feel better.”

“Ah well in that case you better get them right away.” Charlie laughed as Brax handed the bag to Connor. He ripped them open excitedly and put a few into his mouth.

“This is for you too.” Brax smiled as he gave Connor the lion.

“It looks like Alex from Madagascar.” Connor giggled and Charlie smiled as she saw her son light up at Brax’s arrival, and seemed to forget what it was that made him upset.

“So is that its name then?” Brax questioned. “Alex?”

“No,” Connor shook his head before he put more haribo into his mouth. “I will call him Darryl. Darryl the Lion. Yes,” Connor nodded his head. “I like it.”

“Darryl?” Brax laughed. “Do you think that’s a good name for a lion?”

“Uh-huh,” Connor nodded. “I think it’s a very good name. Thank you Darryl.”

“You’re welcome.” Brax said before looking down to Charlie. She smiled up at him.

“Oh Darryl do you know there is Madagascar 3 coming out at the movies.” Connor smiled excitedly. “Maybe you could take me and mummy.”

“Connor.” Charlie gasped, shocked at her sons request. “You don’t ask Brax things like that.”

“Yeah, he’s nice.” Connor nodded. “I think he’ll take us.”

“Well it’s fine by me,” Brax smiled. “So you’ll just have to see what mummy says.”

“Please mummy.” Connor held his hands together like he was praying.

“We’ll see,” Charlie told her son. “So, thank you so so much for finding him.” Charlie said as she looked back to Brax.

“It’s alright,” Brax replied. “I’m glad I was of help.”

“No Brax really, you don’t know how much I appreciate it. If it wasn’t for you he might have still been out in the bush...” Charlie trailed off as she bowed her head down. “What if I lost him too?” Charlie’s voice broke as a tear escaped her eye.

“Hey, hey,” Brax said he bent down and rubbed Charlie’s arm. “That’s not going to happen.”

“You don’t know that,” Charlie shook her head as she looked back up to Brax. “No one thought we would lose Lily, did they? Anything could happen to him at any time.”

“I is going to be okay mummy,” Connor said. “Doctor Sid said so.”

“He’s right you know,” Brax smiled lightly as he rubbed her arm. “He’ll be fine,” Charlie tried to smile, but the tears that fell from her eyes stopped her. “Hey, come here.” Brax said as he pulled Charlie into a hug. She wrapped her arms around him, welcoming the comfort. It was then that the door opened and Angelo walked into the room, seeing Charlie in his arms.

“What’s going on here?” Angelo questioned, far from impressed.

Ruby walked out of the surf club, her fruit smoothie in her hand, and turned to make her way back to Rachel’s place when she bumped into him. “Oh sorry.” Ruby said as she looked up.

“My fault. I wasn’t looking where I was going.” Romeo replied. “How was your afternoon?”

“Not bad thanks, how was yours?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah alright,” Romeo nodded. “Pretty quiet. Just heading to work now.”

“Ah teaching some hot chick how to surf?” Ruby laughed.

“No, not today.” Romeo replied. “My other work. I’m a waiter in Angelo’s Thursday through Sunday. The surf school isn’t exactly raking in the cash at the moment so I need to get money somehow.”

“Ah okay.” Ruby smiled. “So serving meals and wine to hot young women?”

“Sometimes.” Romeo laughed. “But nah, it’s okay I guess. Angelo’s pretty hard to work for though.”

“I used to have a weekend job in the restaurant before I left here,” Ruby replied. “I always thought he was a great boss. Although I was his wife’s sister...or well sister back then,” Ruby exhaled lightly. “So maybe he was just nice to me because of that reason.”

“Nah, when I first started he was a top boss hey,” Romeo said. “It’s just really been since Lily....” Romeo trailed off as he gave Ruby a questioning look.

“I know about her.” Ruby said sadly.

“Well yeah, since she passed away he’s been difficult to work for.” Romeo said. “I guess to an extent I can understand he’s not always going to feel great but still there are ways you should treat your employees.”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “Don’t know if he is looking for any new staff do you?”

“Not that I’m aware,” Romeo shook his head. “You looking for a job?”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll keep an eye out for you,” Romeo smiled. “Might be an idea to ask in at the diner. My ex used to work in there but she went to Perth for uni. And of course Leah left 7 months ago, so Irene and Colleen have been struggling. They obviously have staff but I’m pretty sure they are looking for someone else.”

“Right I’ll eh....I’ll head in there now and see thanks.” Ruby smiled before she took a drink of her smoothie.

“You might have known my ex actually.” Romeo replied. “She would have been here when you were. Indigo Walker?”

“Ah yeah, I knew Indi.” Ruby smiled. “She was a nice girl.”

“Yeah.” Romeo smiled awkwardly. “I used to think so too....anyways, who else did you hang around with back when you were here?” Romeo asked. “Probably know them too.”

“Well you know Xavier and Indi already, so uhm..... Dexter, April, Nicole, Geoff, Annie and Jai.”

“Ah yeah, Dex and I are still buddies,” Romeo smiled. “Well he actually took my side in the break-up considering Indi.....Romeo trailed off. “Jai, Annie and Geoff, I’ve never heard off so I guess they moved away before I got here. Nicole is still about though.”

“Yeah. I ran into her.” Ruby said. “Her and Dex actually. They weren’t too happy to see me. April is the only one who talked to me.”

“They’ll come around.” Romeo said. “And Dex and April are dating so I’m sure April will put in a good word for you.”

“Dex and April, no way,” Ruby gasped. “She kept that one quiet.”

“Yeah they’ve been going out for....oh a year now almost.” Romeo said, just as Bianca ran across to Ruby.

“Ruby, I’ve been looking for you all day,” Bianca said. “It’s Connor, he went missing.”

“Oh my gosh, have they found him yet?” Ruby asked in panic.

“Yeah but he’s been taken to hospital.” Bianca said. “I’m going to go there now if you want to come with me.”

“Of course yeah,” Ruby nodded. “I eh....I’ll see you around.” Ruby said as she looked at Romeo.

“Yeah sure and eh I hope Connor is alright.” Romeo said as he looked to Bianca.

“Charlie said he was talking and alert and stuff so hopefully that means it’s not too bad.”

“Well that sounds hopeful.” Romeo smiled. “So, I’ll let you get going.” Romeo said and Bianca nodded before she and Ruby walked off. Romeo exhaled lightly as he walked forward, but was then taken by surprised when someone appear as if from nowhere and pulled him back and into the side alley, where he was repeatedly hit with something that was definitely hurting him.

Thanks everyone.

Chapter 18

Charlie and Angelo had moved out into the hallway on Charlie’s insistence. She didn’t want to argue with Angelo in front of Connor, he didn’t deserve to put with his parents bickering. “So, what the hell is going on there?”

“He was comforting me,” Charlie said. “I was upset. Connor had run away because of you. He heard you tell me that you thought it was his fault. He is 5 years old. He shouldn’t have that hanging over him, especially when it isn’t even true.” Charlie yelled.

“I can’t help how I feel.” Angelo raised his voice. “But what I care about right now is why he is in there and why he was all over you.”

“Connor is in hospital after being bit by a spider and all you care about is why Brax is here?” Charlie questioned. “Brax found Connor. He brought him here. He was just coming in to check he was okay.”

“Doesn’t explain why he was hugging you.” Angelo spat.

“I told you he was comforting me,” Charlie yelled. “He is my friend.”

“I don’t want you being friends with him.” Angelo shook his head.

“It’s not up to you who I am friends with.” Charlie snapped.

“It is if we are going to get back together.” Angelo yelled.

Charlie sniggered. “You think that’s still happening? I’m not going to give this another go if you think Connor is responsible for Lily’s death. I’m not going to be with you if you think that of our son. I can’t. I can’t be with you if you blame him. What kind of family could we ever be if you think something so horrible about your son?”

“So what you are just going to throw away over 8 years together, 6 and a half years of marriage just like that?” Angelo said as his eyes glazed over.

“I’m not the one who’s done that.” Charlie shook her head. “Now did you just come here to cause even more unnecessary drama or do you want to actually see your son?”

“How is he?” Angelo asked.

“He’s going to be fine,” Charlie replied. “They’re going keep him in overnight to be sure, but there’s nothing to be worried about.”

Angelo nodded lightly before he pursed his lips together. “I’m not even sure Connor will want to see me so eh....I’ll just leave.” Charlie bowed her head down as Angelo walked away. She pursed her lips together as a lone tear rolled down her cheek. She took a few steps back and leaned her head against the wall.

“Charlie,” Charlie heard the voice but she didn’t move. She just stayed how she was, staring out in front of her, letting more tears fall down her cheek. “Charlie.” Bianca said once again as she put her hand on her arm. Charlie looked down to Bianca and saw Ruby was standing behind her, both of them looking worried.

“How is he?” Ruby questioned.

“He’s fine. You can go in if you want,” Charlie said and Ruby nodded lightly before walking into the room to see her little brother. Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked to Bianca who was staring at her, perplexed. “It’s over,” Charlie cried. “My marriage really is over.”

“Oh Charlie.” Bianca said softly as she pulled her friend into a hug.

Charlie walked into her house and exhaled as she sat down on the couch, and buried her head in her hands. He took a seat on the couch next to her and tentatively put his hand on her back and rubbed it in comfort. “Do you want me to make you anything to eat?” Brax questioned. “Have you had anything at all today?”

“Not since breakfast.” Charlie shook her head. “Well, I did have some of Connor’s haribo if that counts?”

Brax laughed lightly. “Not enough to fill you up then.”

“You don’t need to cook for me,” Charlie shook her head. “You didn’t even need to see me home. I’ll be fine. I promise I’ll eat something.”

“It’s either both of us eating alone or we could eat together,” Brax said. “And you owe me, so you have to let me stay and cook for you.”

“Isn’t that you doing something for me again?” Charlie questioned. “Surely me owing you would be for me to do something for you?”

“Well get in that kitchen then, I’m starving.”

Charlie laughed lightly before giving Brax a thankful smile. “Thanks for that.”

“For what?” Brax questioned. “What did I do?”

“I think you know.” Charlie said before she stood up and made her way into the kitchen. Brax followed her in and she opened the cupboards before she turned around to Brax and bit her lip. “Maybe we could just order take-away. Beats cooking right?”

Brax laughed lightly. “Fine with me as long as you pay.”

“Sure, like you said, I owe you and even more so now that you found Connor today,” Charlie smiled lightly as she pulled the take-away menus from the drawer. “So there’s that Chinese place or we can do pizza from Angelo’s?”

“Pizza from Angelo’s?” Brax suggested and Charlie nodded.

“Sure. Is that just so you can use your discount?” Charlie laughed.

“Well I’m just getting it cheaper for you.” Brax grinned.

Charlie laughed once again. “True. You know I’m surprised that Angelo actually gives you a staff discount.”

“Me too.” Brax replied. “So....how is it with you and Angelo these days?” Brax asked tentatively.

“There is no me and Angelo.” Charlie replied. “I eh.....you know he was supposed to have Connor on Wednesday night but he went to the city and didn’t even tell me. I turned up with Connor at his place and had to call him to see where he was.”

“He’s pathetic, really,” Brax said. “Putting work and everything else before his own son. But at least I was here to help you out.”

“Yeah, and I really am thankful.” Charlie smiled lightly at Brax. “And I’m not just talking about you looking after him that day. You helped him with the rocket and you’ve been so sweet with me as well. Listening to me rant on about my problems with Angelo and stuff with Lily and Ruby. I want you to know that I really appreciate it.”

“Well you’re very welcome.” Brax smiled. “As I say I’m here for you whenever you need me. As a babysitter or as a friend to talk too.”

Charlie smiled once again. “Connor really likes you as well. I’m glad he can have a positive male role model in his life. It doesn’t seem like Angelo is going to bother with him much longer.”

“Well Angelo doesn’t know what he’s missing.” Brax replied.

“You know why Connor ran away today?” Charlie questioned and Brax shook his head. “He heard Angelo telling me that he thought Lily’s death was Connor’s fault.”

“He seriously blames his 5 year old kid?” Brax asked surprised. “I know Angelo can be a bit of a douchebag but I didn’t think he was that bad.”

“I just think it’s a shame the way things are turning out.” Charlie sighed lightly. “Connor didn’t want to go to his today. He didn’t want to go on Wednesday come to think of it. I kept pushing at him to go see his dad. I thought maybe it would get better between the two, but now I don’t think it could get any worse. So, if Connor doesn’t want to see him then I’m not going to force it. Angelo will probably be fine with not seeing him anyways considering what he thinks of him.”

“I think that’s probably the right thing to do,” Brax nodded lightly. “Although it sucks that Connor won’t have his father in his life, I think it’s for the best. He doesn’t need a father like Angelo. And as you say I’m always going to be here for the kid if he needs anything.”

“Why?” Charlie questioned. “I obviously appreciate it, I’ve just said so, but why are you interested in Connor?”

Brax exhaled lightly. “I guess because I grew up knowing what it was like not having a father in your life and I don’t want anyone else to have to go through that,” Brax said. “Angelo only seemed to be a father when it suited him and kids need more than that.”

Charlie gave Brax a thankful smile. “You know you’re going to make an amazing father one day.” Brax smiled at Charlie, and they both stared deep into each other’s eyes. Brax took a small step forward and was about to place his hand on her cheek when Charlie broke the eye contact and looked down to the menu. “Eh we should probably decide what we want to order.” Charlie cleared her throat as she read the choices of pizza they could get. Brax sighed lightly before he too looked down to the menu to decide what he wanted to order.

Thank you Sarah, soph1303, beebee, Spotd1, Freakie42, RoRo90, caroline77, Zoe and Cally for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 19

Ruby was making her way down to the diner to ask if indeed they did have a job going at the moment. She didn’t make it the day before considering Bianca came and told her about Connor, and they were at the hospital with him for the rest of the day, and after Ruby had gone home and had some dinner, she had tummy cramps, so Rachel sent her for a hot bath, followed by an early night. She exhaled lightly as she walked into the diner and saw both Colleen and Irene busy at work. She took a deep breath before she walked over to Irene. “Morning, Irene.” Ruby smiled.

“Hey love, I’ll be with ya in a just a sec.” Irene said before she continued to carry the dirty plates through to the kitchen and laid them down at the sink before walking back through to the counter. “So, what can I get ya?”

“A job, hopefully,” Ruby said. “I eh, I was told you were looking for someone?”

“Yeah darl we are,” Irene smiled. “You’ve had waitressing experience right? You used to work in Angelo’s?”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “I used to have a job in a café back in the city too.” Ruby said. When she first met Lee, she was working, but he soon put a stop to that.

“Right well I’ll tell ya what love, you can come in tomorrow for a trial.” Irene said. “8am sharp.”

“Great, thank you so much.” Ruby smiled before she turned to walk out of the diner and bumped into Charlie. “Hey Charlie, how is Connor today?”

“I’m actually just on my way to the hospital now,” Charlie answered. “He likes the chocolate cake from here so I thought I’d get him a little treat.”

“Well it is nice chocolate cake.” Ruby smiled. “They boy has good taste.”

“Yeah...eh if you’re not busy you could come with me?” Charlie questioned. “If you wanted to that is.”

“Yeah, I’d like that.” Ruby smiled as she followed Charlie back into the diner.

“Morning darl what can I get you?” Irene smiled up at Charlie. “I’ll have a slice of that chocolate cake and a latte to go please,” Charlie smiled before she looked around to Ruby. “Do you want a drink?”

“Eh...can I have a decaf please.” Ruby asked.

“Decaf?” Irene questioned. “You’ve ordered coffee every other day this week or have I been getting your order wrong and it was decaf all along?”

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “I just fancy a decaf today.”

“Good. Didn’t like to think I was losing my mind already.” Irene laughed as she prepared the coffees for them, before Charlie paid her and they left the diner.

“So you do know you can get coffee at the hospital right?” Ruby questioned as she got into Charlie’s car. Charlie put her cup in the holder, before handing the chocolate cake to Ruby, and putting the keys in the ignition.

“Eugh,” Charlie shuddered. “That’s stuffs just....eugh.” Charlie shuddered once again.

Ruby laughed. “Not a fan of the hospital coffee then.”

“Nope.” Charlie shook her head as she started to drive along the road.

“It’s okay for me to drink decaf right?” Ruby questioned. “Rachel said I shouldn’t drink coffee at all.”

“In my experience one cup of coffee a day didn’t hurt.” Charlie replied. “The fact that its decaf is even better.”

“Maybe after this one I should talk to Rachel. It is her child so I don’t want to do anything to upset her.” Charlie pursed her lips together. To her this wasn’t Rachel’s child. It was Ruby’s child and her grandchild. If Rachel took this baby, Charlie would be robbed of her role as grandmother. What would become of the two friends then once the baby arrived? Every time they met and the child was there how would it be for Charlie to see her grandchild calling someone else mummy, not being able to call her grandma. The truth was, although Charlie didn’t approve of the idea of the adoption, she hated even more so that it was Rachel who was getting this child. As much as wanted Rachel to be happy, and knew she’d be a great mum and deserved to have a child, she didn’t want her to have her grandchild. She believed that that baby should be with Ruby and her. Seeing the uncomfortable look on her face at the subject and the length of time Charlie had gone without replying, Ruby decided to move the conversation on. “So anyways, Connor is getting to come home today, right?”

“Eh yeah.” Charlie smiled.

“Well I thought maybe we could spend some time together. You know we are a family and I’d like to get things back on some sort of track with us. Maybe Connor being there too would be easier as well. You know so we’re not so strained to keep up a conversation. He’ll be there to keep us entertained too.”

“Eh....maybe,” Charlie replied. “We’ll see what Sid says about what he can do today.”

“Sure.” Ruby smiled lightly not wanting to push the idea.

“I mean I don’t have any other plans and it should be fine. I just don’t want to overexert Connor.”

“Yeah yeah I totally understand.” Ruby nodded lightly as Charlie pulled the car into the hospital car park and found a parking space. She picked up the rest of her coffee and they got out the car and Charlie locked the door before they walked into the hospital. “Romeo?” Ruby questioned as she looked up to see Romeo and Nicole walking down the corridor, Romeo, with a black eye, and his hand on his chest, as if holding onto the pain, a prescription bag in his hand. “What happened?”

“Some guy beat him up.” Nicole replied. “Not that it’s any of your business.”

“Actually Nicole can you just wait on me in the car?” Romeo questioned. “I want to talk to Ruby.”

“Why?” Nicole questioned.

“It’s not really any of your business.” Romeo said. Nicole glared at Ruby before she walked off.

“You alright there?” Charlie questioned.

“Bit sore.” Romeo replied. “But I’ll live.”

“Did you see the guy who did this to you?” Charlie questioned.

“Eh not really.” Romeo shook his head. “But if I remember anything I’ll come talk to you.” Romeo said.

“Right well I’ll go see Connor and leave you two to talk.” Charlie said before she looked at Ruby and raised her eyebrows before she left them to talk.

Charlie was just about to go into Connor’s room when the sounds of Rachel’s voice stopped her. “Still a little chatterbox isn’t he?”

“I’m sorry?” Charlie questioned as she turned to face her friend.

“Connor,” Rachel smiled. “Being in hospital hasn’t stopped him from chatting away.” Charlie looked to Rachel questioningly. “I paid him a little visit this morning. Didn’t stop talking the whole time.”

“Oh okay, but no I don’t suppose much would stop him from talking.” Charlie replied.

“So, how have you been?” Rachel questioned. “It seems like it’s been ages since we talked properly.”

“Yeah eh, work has just been really busy lately and then I’ve been taking care of Connor on my own, so I’ve not really had too much time for my own social life right now.”

“Must be hard,” Rachel said. “So things with you and Angelo aren’t getting any better?”

“They’re going from bad to worse.” Charlie bit her lip. “He eh....he blamed Connor for Lily’s death. That’s why he ran off and ended up here.”

“How does blame Connor?” Rachel questioned.

“A couple of days before she died Connor’s soccer ball hit her bouncy chair and Angelo said she could have banged her head and that’s what’s caused her death.”

“I’m sorry Charlie it must have been horrible to hear him say that.”

“Connor hearing it was the worst thing,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Here was me thinking about giving him a second chance and then he goes and tells me this.”

“Well not that I am trying to stick up for Angelo but grief can make a person say and do things they wouldn’t normally.” Rachel said. “And eh just so you know Lily’s death....it wasn’t Connor’s fault. There were no signs of -”

“I know,” Charlie interrupted. “I would never think that. I know it was SIDS.....anyways I should get to Connor.” Charlie said as she pointed to the room door.

“Charlie can I just 5 more minutes,” Rachel said. “I wanted to talk to you about the adoption.”

“Rach I....” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “Look I don’t approve of this choice that Ruby’s making. At least not now. I need time to get used to the idea that you are going to raise my grandchild. I need to get used to that before I say that I approve. She’s 18 and I can’t change her mind. All I can do is support the choice she’s made, but by supporting it, it doesn’t mean that I’m ready to talk freely about it like she’s doing this amazing thing. I know for you it is and you’re finally getting a chance to be mother and I’m happy for you Rachel, I am, but you must realise how hard this is for me. I gave up my child – and only to my parents – and it was the hardest thing ever. And while you’re in bliss because you have a new-born in your house, I’m going to have Ruby back at mine and I’m going to be the one who has to support her when she’s upset because she doesn’t have her baby with her,” Charlie took a deep breath to compose herself before putting her hand on the door handle. “Now I’m going see me son.” Charlie said as she walked into the hospital room, leaving Rachel standing out in corridor.

Thank you Spotd1, soph1303, Lucii, beebee, RoRo90, Zoe and Sarah for the comments. :wub: Hope you like this next one.... :unsure:

Chapter 20

Romeo and Ruby walked outside of the hospital and took a seat on the bench. Romeo winced as he kept his hand on his chest. “So, what happened to you?”

“I got cracked ribs and a black eye.” Romeo said as he pointed to his eye.

“Who....who did this to you?” Ruby questioned.

“I was hoping you could tell me that.” Romeo answered. “He told me to stay away from his woman. He said you were his and no-one else’s. He was cracking me on the ribs with a crowbar or something like that.”

Ruby covered her mouth with her hands as Romeo spoke. He’d found her. “I’m so sorry,” Ruby said. “I eh...I didn’t think he’d find me here.”

“Is he the real reason why you’re back in the bay then?” Romeo questioned.

“Partly,” Ruby nodded. “I was missing Charlie like crazy and knew it had been too long. I guess Lee was just the person that gave me that push.”

“Bit of the jealous type then?” Romeo questioned.

“Kind of,” Ruby answered shyly as she fiddled with the cake that was still in her hands. “I eh...I left him because...” Ruby trailed off not really wanting to tell him the reason, but seeing as he’d just been beat up by the guy, Ruby felt he had a right to know. “He was abusive.” Ruby said in a whisper. “It just got to the point where it one beating too much and I found out...I ehm, I’m pregnant.”

“Oh wow, I’m sorry.” Romeo said lightly. “Not about the pregnant part, I mean babies are good news right?”

“I guess,” Ruby answered. “But I’m really sorry for what he did to you. You didn’t deserve it.”

Romeo sniggered before wincing in pain. “No, I didn’t.” Romeo said. “But if I’ve saved you from getting a beating then maybe it was worth it. No guy should ever raise their fists at a woman.”

“You seriously think it was worth it just so I didn’t get hurt?” Ruby questioned.

“Like I said no guy should ever raise his fist to a woman.” Romeo said. “You should probably tell Charlie that he’s here. She can get her officers looking for him.”

“I will.” Ruby said.

“I’ll let you get to your little brother.” Romeo said. “But eh...once I’m better then that lesson is still on.”

“I don’t think I should surf while being pregnant anyways.” Ruby shook her head.

“I guess,” Romeo replied. “Maybe we could go for a drink then?”

Ruby smiled lightly. Did her just ask her out on a date? “You think that’s a good idea? Especially with Lee being around?”

“Well hopefully he’s not for much longer.” Romeo replied.

“Well I don’t want to risk you getting hurt again, so let’s say we stay away from each other until then,” Ruby said. “And anyways I hope you’re talking about a smoothie as I can’t drink alcohol.”

“Probably for the best,” Romeo nodded understandingly. “And yeah of course non-alcoholic.”

Ruby smiled lightly as she fiddled with the cake in her hands. “I should probably get into see Connor. But we’ll get that drink at one point.” Ruby smiled before she stood up and helped Romeo back to his feet. “Do you want help back to the car?”

“Nah, I’ll be good. You go and see your brother. And here...” Romeo pulled his wallet from his pocket and handed Ruby a business card. “Has my number on it.”

“Thanks.” Ruby smiled shyly before she walked back into the hospital to see Connor siting on the bed in fits of giggles at something Charlie was saying to him.

“Ruby,” Connor smiled. “You are here to see me again.”

“Sure thing squirt,” Ruby smiled. “And mummy bought you some cake.” Ruby said as she handed Connor the cake and his eyes lit up and he ripped it from the box and started stuffing it into his mouth, like it was his first meal in weeks.

“Connor,” Charlie gasped. “Eat it properly.”

“But I love this cake.” Connor sighed as he put a piece into his mouth.

“I know but still, eat it like a nice little boy. You’re not a pig.” Connor giggled as Ruby made a pig noise as she stole a little bit of the cake. “Don’t you encourage him either.” Charlie said as she looked at Ruby before the 3 of them laughed.

“Mummy what we do today?” Connor questioned, his face covered in chocolate cake.

“Well Ruby thought we could all spend the day together,” Charlie told her son. “Would you like that?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “But no mummy wait,” Connor held his index finger out. “It’s a soccer day.”

“Yes, but you can’t play today anymore because you are still in hospital right now. You’d be starting about now, would you?” Charlie questioned and Connor nodded sadly.

“I want to play.” Connor sighed.

“You’ll be able to play next time.” Charlie said.

“Did you tell my coach I won’t be playing?” Connor questioned.

“I did,” Charlie nodded. “I called him this morning and told him what happened and he said he hopes you’re alright and back scoring lots of goals for him next time.”

“I will be,” Connor nodded. “I good at scoring goals.”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded before glancing at Ruby before looking back to Connor. “Well I am just going to talk to Sid and see when you can leave. I’ll be right back okay?”

“Yeah.” Connor nodded before Charlie left the room.

Connor ran into the house with Charlie and Ruby following. They’d decided to have a picnic in the park, Connor of course saying they must take his soccer ball so he and Ruby could have a little kick about. He ran through the house and into the back garden to get his ball, while Charlie opened the cupboard before turning to face Ruby. “So what do you like on your sandwiches these days?” Charlie questioned.

“I still love tuna cucumber,” Ruby smiled. “But maybe we could just get Irene to make us up a picnic basket?” Ruby suggested. “Save you from having to make one up.”

“Eh, yeah sure,” Charlie nodded. “But I’ll put some biscuits, chips and haribo in for Connor.” Charlie smiled as she took some treats out of the cupboard.

“Spoiled today.” Ruby laughed as Connor came running back into the kitchen and ran over to Charlie, dropping his soccer ball on the kitchen floor.

“Yeah but he deserves it,” Charlie smiled as she rubbed her sons head. “After the week he’s had with his dad and then getting bit by a spider....we’re allowed to be a little spoiled aren’t we?” Charlie questioned as she looked down to Connor.

Connor nodded his head as he smiled. “Can we ask Darryl to the park mummy? I bet he’d be good at soccer.”

“No we can’t,” Charlie shook her head.

“But mummy -”

“Connor, this is a special day for me, you and Ruby okay,” Charlie said. “You can see Brax again soon though.” Connors face lit up before he ran through the house as the doorbell rang. Charlie and Ruby both followed, and stood in the living room as Connor opened the door. Ruby backed away as she saw him walking into the house.

“Can I help you?” Charlie questioned.

“L....Le....” Ruby tried to talk but fear had taken over her.

“Miss me?” Lee smirked as he made his way over to Ruby. Charlie, on seeing the look on Ruby’s face, knew instantly who the man was, and put herself between the two of them. “You might want to get out of my way.” Lee said as he looked Charlie up and down. Charlie shook her head lightly as she held her hands out in front of her. “I mean it lady,” Lee said, becoming angry. “Now move.”

Charlie shook her head lightly as she moved back slightly, wanting to be closer to Ruby, to protect her. “We don’t need to do anything this way,” Charlie shook her head. “You’re both adults. You can sit down and talk things over,” Charlie said before she turned her head slightly to look at Ruby. “You’ll talk with him, right?” As Ruby saw the look on Charlie’s face, she nodded lightly. She trusted her and agreed to follow Charlie’s lead in this.

“We can talk I promise.” Ruby said shakily and as she was overcome with fear at what Lee was possibly about to do.

“Nah,” Lee shook his head. “You really think you can just run off and leave me and I want to come here to talk to you?” Lee laughed. “Talking won’t fix anything sweetheart. I’m afraid there is only one way that I can teach you a lesson for you running from me and I’m afraid talking isn’t it,” Lee spat before looking back to Charlie. “So lady, are you going to get out of my way?” Lee asked.

“No,” Charlie shook her head as she tried not to let the fear she was feeling show. “Violence doesn’t solve anything. You and Ruby can talk.”

Lee laughed. “Nah, I don’t want to talk,” Lee shook his head. “Did you really think you’d be safe here Ruby? Did you really think I wouldn’t find you?” Lee sniggered. “I’m a cop Ruby. Put Buckton into the computer and I got hundreds of address. I knew you hadn’t run from Sydney so that got rid of a lot. This little town here was the next closest place with a Buckton living here, and looks like it’s someone you are related too.”

“Lee, let’s just sit down and we can talk.” Charlie said as she and Ruby both continued to take steps back.

“Nah, we’ll do this my way,” Lee said as he moved his jacket slightly to show Charlie his gun, before he lunged forward, pushing Charlie to the side and grabbing Ruby tightly by the hair and throwing her back so she was against the wall.

“Ruby.” Charlie shouted as Lee’s fist started pounding against her face. She used all her strength to pull him back, but Lee turned on her, smacking her hard in the face repeatedly.

“You leave her.” Connor shouted as he ran forward and pulled on Lee’s arm. Lee batted his arm out to the side and pushed the boy down to the ground.

“Connor you go to your room,” Charlie said as she wiped some blood from her nose. Connor stood up and ran out of sight as Lee left Charlie and turned back to Ruby, who had the phone in her hand and was half way through dialling 000.

“Don’t be silly,” Lee laughed as he took the phone from her and pushed her to the ground, and kicked her hard in the stomach, before Charlie once again tried to pull him away. Lee batted his arm back and elbowed Charlie in the face, causing her to fall back. Lee took the gun from the insides of his jacket and grabbed Ruby by the hair and pulled her to standing and pushed her forward so she smacked her head against the cabinet and fell to the ground. As Lee pointed the gun in Ruby direction, Charlie lunged forward and pushed Lee causing him to drop the gun to the ground. As Charlie and Lee struggled with each other, Ruby lay seemingly lifeless, unaware of what was going on around her.

Connor ran as fast as he little legs would carry him. He ran and he ran and he ran until he reached the surf club. He ran into the building and looked around to see Brax was playing pool with Heath. “Darryl,” Connor shouted as tears streamed down his cheeks. “Darryl come quick, come quick.”

Connor shouted as he ran over to him.

“What’s wrong squirt?” Brax asked as he bent down to the boy’s level.

“You have to come.” Connor said as he pulled on his hand, trying to get him to leave the surf club.

“Mate, tell me what’s wrong.” Brax said worriedly.

“Just come help,” Connor cried. “You have to help.”

“I will come, but you need to tell me what’s wrong.” Brax explained.

“There’s a man,” Connor sniffed back. “He’s hurting mummy and Ruby.”

Brax’s eyes widened as he lifted the little boy up into his arms and ran as fast as he could back to Charlie’s house. All the way worrying about Charlie and who would want to hurt her and her daughter. He put Connor down on the grass and told him to stay put and was about to walk into the house, when a gunshot was heard and the sounds of a body falling to the ground with a thud.

Archived