Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Thank you everyone. Here is the next one. I hope it's okay.... :unsure:

Chapter 51

Charlie walked back down the stairs after having put Connor to bed. “Thanks for keeping him occupied all night,” Charlie said as she sat down on the couch next to Brax. “He’s had a great time.”

“It’s no problem,” Brax smiled. “He’s a great kid.”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled fondly. “I’m probably pretty biased mind you. He’s my son and all.”

“No harm in being biased,” Brax laughed lightly. “But he is a great kid, so it’s okay.”

“Ah I just hope he’ll be alright,” Charlie exhaled. “I know Angelo and I have been separated a while, but now we’re divorced, I....” Charlie bit her lip.

“He’ll be fine,” Brax put a comforting hand on top of Charlie’s. “Kids are resilient.”

“I haven’t really spoken to him about the divorce yet,” Charlie shook her head. “I was going to this morning but then I didn’t want him being upset before school and then after school Carla had him right away and then you’ve been here, I just....” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I don’t want to hurt him.”

“As I said, kids are resilient. He probably knows you aren’t going to be together anymore anyways,” Brax answered. “And he’ll be fine. You are great with him. He gets everything he needs from you. He doesn’t need a loser like Angelo in his life anyways.”

“He’s not a loser,” Charlie exhaled. “He is the father of my kids. He’s a great dad and I love him for that.”

“He’s not a great dad, Charlie,” Brax answered. “He’s been horrible to Connor lately.”

“He’s grieving,” Charlie raised her voice. “You come in here and be all supportive but you have no idea what me and Angelo have been through, and you continually insult him in front of me. Please just stop,” Charlie exhaled. “I don’t need this, and Connor definitely doesn’t need to hear it.”

Brax shook his head. “So, you say you love Angelo as the father of your kids? So then you feel the same about Ruby’s father?” Brax questioned.

“No,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “It’s different.”

“How is it different?” Brax questioned. “He gave you a child too so surely you love him for that?”

“You don’t know what you are talking about so just leave it.” Charlie said, getting defensive.

“So, you love Angelo because he gave you Connor and Lily, but you don’t love Ruby’s dad for giving you Ruby?” Brax questioned. “Doesn’t really make much sense, does it?”

“Like I said, you don’t know the first thing about Ruby’s dad,” Charlie exhaled. “You should probably just leave now.” Charlie made to stand up but Brax put his hand out and stopped her.

“Well you can explain it to me if you want,” Brax said. “I might be able to understand that way. Because right now I don’t understand your reasoning’s at all.”

Charlie shook her head. “I don’t have to explain anything to you,” Charlie said. “Now, I want an early night so can you please leave?” Charlie said as she stood up and walked over to the door and pulled it open. Brax exhaled lightly as he stood up and walked over to the door and stepped out of it, before turning to face Charlie again.

“We’re still on for bowling tomorrow, right?” Brax questioned. “We’ve promised Connor now right?”

“Oh, I eh....I don’t know,” Charlie shook her head. “I’ll decide.”

“Right,” Brax nodded his head. “Well just let me know.” Brax sighed before he walked away and Charlie watched for a moment as he got into his car, and drove out of the driveway. She slammed the door shut before walking over to the cabinet and pulling open the top drawer. She picked up a photo of her daughter and smiled lightly as he ran her fingers over it. She put the photo up on the cabinet in the place where it used to sit, before lifting out the photo album and walking over to the couch. She pursed her lips together as she looked through her wedding album, running her hand over a picture of her and Angelo. She exhaled lightly, wondering if she’d made the right decision.

Ruby and Romeo walked back into the caravan park house, after a nice meal at Angelo’s. “So thanks again for dinner,” Ruby smiled. “It was lovely.”

“You’re very welcome,” Romeo smiled. “Thanks for your company, it was great.”

“Yeah, yours wasn’t bad too.” Ruby grinned cheekily. Romeo laughed lightly before leaning down and placing a kiss on her lips.

“So,” Romeo smiled as he pulled back. “I thought we could watch a DVD,” Romeo took Ruby’s hand in his and walked over to the couch, letting Ruby take a seat. “I got one I think you are going to like.” Romeo passed Ruby the DVD.

“Snow White,” Ruby laughed lightly. “I love it. But you know every DVD we watch doesn’t have to be Disney?”

“I know,” Romeo replied. “But you love Disney, right?”

“Yeah,” Ruby laughed lightly as Romeo took the DVD from her and put it into the player, before settling down next to her on the couch. He wrapped his arm around her and Ruby rested her head on his shoulder. “But next time we can watch one you like.”

“Deal.” Romeo smiled before placing a kiss on Ruby’s forehead.

“Hey Romeo,” Ruby said as she looked up to him. “I was thinking maybe if you wanted me too I could stay here tonight?”

“Yeah?” Romeo smiled. “I’d like that.”

“I eh....I don’t mean I want too...” Ruby cleared her throat. “I’m still not ready to have sex again, but eh....I thought it would be nice to wake up together.”

“Yeah, sounds good.” Romeo smiled before placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips. She gave him a smile before snuggling back into him to watch the DVD.

Charlie wiped the tear from her eye as she turned the page in the photo album. A picture of Charlie, Ruby and Angelo at the reception of their wedding. Charlie remembered the day she told Angelo the truth about Ruby, and how lovely he was with her, and how he kept the secret. How supportive he was to her when Ruby found out the truth. The sounds of the doorbell ringing brought Charlie out of her thoughts. She put the photo album down on the coffee table and wiped her eyes again as she walked over to the door, answering it to find Angelo standing at the other side. “Angelo,” Charlie was surprised. She didn’t expect to see him. “What are you doing here?”

“I eh....” Angelo scratched the side of his head. “I’m not entirely sure to be honest.”

“Oh,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Well do you want to come in?” Charlie questioned as she pointed into the house. Angelo gave a gentle nod as he walked into the house and over to the couch.

“Been reminiscing?” Angelo asked as he looked to the photo album.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered quietly. “Eh, do you want a coffee or I can get you a beer?”

“A beer would be good thanks, yeah,” Angelo answered and Charlie disappeared into the kitchen, returning moments later with a bottle for Angelo and one for herself. “I see the pictures are coming back out?” Angelo questioned as he picked the picture of Lily from the cabinet.

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled lightly. “It’s getting a bit easier not to burst into tears every time I see one.”

Angelo smiled understandingly. “I know what you mean,” Angelo scratched the side of his head. “Listen, mum and I are going up to the grave tomorrow. You know I wasn’t there last week for her birthday and....well we are going to take some flowers up tomorrow. You and Connor could come with us if you like?”

“I eh,” Charlie bit her lip. “What time would you be going? I might be busy.”

“Ah, you’re date with Brax,” Angelo sighed lightly. “How could I forget?”

“It’s not a date,” Charlie shook her head. “Brax and I are just friends.”

“For now,” Angelo said sadly before taking a swig of his beer. “Charlie, I just wish...” Angelo trailed off. “I love you, okay, and I want you to be happy. That’s why I did what I had to today. But if things went my way I’d...well we wouldn’t be divorced.”

“I’m sorry,” Charlie felt a tear escape her eye. “I thought it was the right thing to do, but all I’ve felt since we signed all those papers are regret,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I don’t think I love you anymore, but there’s something there and I....I also like Brax and I don’t know what to do.”

“I could tell you to try again with me because we had a great life together, we have Connor and it would be great for him if we were together, but I can’t...” Angelo shook his head. “You just need to do what you think is right,” Charlie nodded lightly as she looked up into Angelo’s eyes. She felt a smile forming on her face as she walked closer to him, placing her beer bottle down on the cabinet. She put her hand on his chest before running it up his chest and resting it around his neck, pulling his head closer to hers and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “Charlie...” Angelo spoke quietly as he pulled back slightly.

“Just shhh.” Charlie whispered before placing another kiss his lips.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the comments.

Chapter 52

Charlie stirred the milk into the coffees before taking them across to the table and putting them down, taking a seat next opposite her friend. “I pashed Angelo last night.” Charlie just came right out and said it.

“You what?” Bianca gasped. “You pashed Angelo?” Bianca shouted, surprised.

“Will you keep your voice down?” Charlie said almost in a whisper as she looked to the living room where Connor was sitting building a windmill with his lego set.

“I’m sorry but isn’t this the guy who yesterday you also divorced?” Bianca was sounding confused.

“Yeah,” Charlie held her head in her hands. “I just....I don’t know okay, I.....I’m just so confused.”

“Well what are you going to do?” Bianca questioned. “I thought you liked Brax?”

“I did,” Charlie nodded. “I do....I....I like them both.” Charlie clicked her tongue.

“I thought you said you didn’t love Angelo anymore?” Bianca questioned before taking a drink of her coffee.

“I don’t know what I think,” Charlie sighed. “I thought I didn’t love him and there wasn’t really anything there when we kissed at the beginning of this week, but then when I saw him last night I just couldn’t not kiss him, and it was nice,” Charlie exhaled. “It was familiar and I....I liked it.”

“So you just kissed?” Bianca questioned. “Nothing else you want to admit too?”

Charlie shook her head before taking a drink of her coffee. “Just a kiss.”

“So what did he come around for anyways?” Bianca questioned. “Like I said, you just got divorced yesterday. It’s not like you were going to be the best of friends right away.”

“I dunno, he just appeared,” Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “After the kiss we sat and talked about Lily and stuff we hadn’t really talked about before and it kinda felt like a weight had been lifted from us.”

“So do you think if this talk happened pre-divorce you wouldn’t have got divorced and you would have worked at it?” Bianca questioned and Charlie shrugged her shoulders.

“I have no clue,” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t know what I want and I don’t know what the right thing is to do,” Charlie exhaled. “Care to tell me?”

“You know I can’t,” Bianca shook her head. “It’s up to you what you want to do. Just listen to your heart. Who does it tell you to be with?”

“It doesn’t know,” Charlie shook her head. “Well, actually if I go with my heart, it’ll probably say Angelo. He was the only man I’ve ever loved. We have history and yeah, I feel something for him,” Charlie paused. “My head tells me Angelo and I ended for a reason, so give Brax a chance. I do like him and maybe we could have something great.”

“Charlie, Charlie, Charlie...” Bianca sighed. “What a situation you’ve gotten yourself in.”

“Maybe I just need too.....” Charlie paused as Connor ran into the room.

“Mummy,” Connor smiled as he ran into the kitchen with his windmill in his hand. “Look what I made.” Connor handed the windmill up to his mother before he climbed onto her knee.

“Ah Connor that’s great,” Charlie smiled enthusiastically. “You worked hard on that one.”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “Can we keep it together forever?”

“Well then you won’t have as much lego to play with.” Charlie said.

“Uhm...” Connor scratched the side of his head. “We could get more legos.”

“Oh really?” Charlie questioned and Connor nodded. “Right, you go put that on the cabinet and clean your lego away because we are going out soon.” Charlie said and Connor jumped down from Charlie’s knee and took the windmill back into his hand before he ran out of the kitchen.

“So you were saying?” Bianca said.

“I’m not going to think about dating either of them,” Charlie exhaled. “Connor is my main priority, so maybe it’ll just be me and him for a while.” Charlie answered before pursing her lips together.

“Is that what you want?” Bianca questioned.

Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “For now, yeah I guess so,” Charlie nodded. “It just seems like the best thing to do.”

Bianca smiled lightly as she finished her coffee. “Well I’ll let you get ready,” Bianca said as she and Charlie stood up from the chairs, and walked through the house to the front door. “And don’t stress out too much, everything will work itself out.” Bianca rubbed Charlie’s arm lightly.

Charlie raised her eyebrows. “I hope so.” Charlie answered before giving her friend a hug goodbye. Bianca smiled lightly before leaving the house. Just as Charlie closed the door, her mobile beeped indicating she had a new message. She pulled it from her pocket and saw it was a message from Angelo. Hey, mum and I are leaving to go to Lily’s grave in around 30mins. Are you and Connor coming? Charlie exhaled lightly as she hit reply. I promised Connor bowling, so I’m going to keep that promise. Can you come around tonight though? We need to talk to him. Charlie hit the send button before putting her phone back into her pocket.

“Mummy I am ready,” Connor grinned as he jumped down the last few stairs. “The legos are away too.”

“Good.” Charlie smiled as she ruffled her son’s hair.

“Is Darryl coming now?” Connor questioned. “We go to the city?”

“He’ll be here soon,” Charlie smiled. “And yes, we’ll go to the city for bowling.”

“And McDonalds for lunch?” Connor grinned cheekily.

“Oh I don’t know about that,” Charlie shook her head. “We’ll see what happens when we get to the city, hmm.”

“Okays,” Connor sighed. “But I think Darryl will take me if I ask.”

“Oh really?” Charlie questioned and Connor nodded.

“He is really nice mummy,” Connor said. “I like him lots.”

Charlie smiled as she ran her hand over her sons head. “Mummy likes him lots too.” Charlie said quietly before sighing. Connor’s little face lit up as the doorbell rang and he opened the door to see Brax standing at the other side.

“Darryl.” Connor grinned.

“Hey, squirt how’s it going?” Brax asked as he smiled down at him.

“Good, I’m really excited to go bowling,” Connor answered as he jumped a little on the spot. “Can we leave right now?”

“Sure, if we’re still going?” Brax looked up to Charlie questioningly.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “Connor is really looking forward to it, so I’m not going to disappoint him.”

“Right,” Brax nodded lightly. “Well eh, is it okay if we take your car? Heath and Casey drove off in mines this morning otherwise I would have brought it and been on time.”

“It’s no problem,” Charlie answered. “I’ll just get the car keys.” Charlie walked through to the kitchen and took her car keys from the hanger before walking back across to the door. She pushed on Connor’s back lightly and he walked out of the house. She grabbed her handbag from the floor, before walking out after him, locking the door and walking over to her car. She took her phone from her pocket and placed it down in the little compartment under the radio buttons of the car and turned the keys in the ignition. She turned around to Connor to make sure he’d put his seatbelt on before pulling the car from the driveway.

“Charlie, about last night I -” Brax started to talk, but Charlie cut him off.

“Please don’t,” Charlie shook her head as she gestured to the back of the car where Connor was sitting. “Can we just enjoy our day with Connor?”

“Sure,” Brax exhaled as Charlie’s phone beeped once again. “It’s Angelo,” Brax said as he looked down to the phone. “Sorry I shouldn’t have looked.”

“It’s okay,” Charlie answered as she turned the car to the right, heading for the city. “Can you read it?”

“Are you sure?” Brax questioned and Charlie nodded as he leaned forward and picked the phone up and opened the message. Okay that’s fine, have a good day. Tonight is fine, text me when you get home and I’ll come around. Brax read out the message to Charlie, a tone of sadness in his voice.

“It’s not what you think,” Charlie said, knowing instantly what Brax would probably be thinking. “We’re just going to talk to Connor,” Brax nodded his head lightly. “And just so know I’m looking forward to today too.” Charlie smiled lightly at Brax, before looking back to the road. She exhaled lightly before she bit her lip. She liked him, there was no doubt about that and she thought was handsome, so handsome and she felt at an ease in his presence.

“Darryl?” Connors voice could be heard from the back of the car.

“Yes, buddy?” Brax asked as he turned to face him.

“Well can we ehm....” Connor scratched the side of his head. “Can we get a McDonalds for lunch?”

“Ah, I’m sure we could,” Brax smiled as he looked to Charlie. “If mummy says it’s okay of course.”

“Yeah,” Charlie looked at Brax briefly and smiled. “It’s fine,” Charlie smiled before continuing to drive in the direction of the city.

Thanks guys. Still a little lost here so please bear with me. :)

Chapter 53

Charlie opened the door to find Angelo at the other side. “Angelo, hey,” Charlie smiled. “Come in.”

“Hey daddy.” Connor smiled from the couch where he was sitting with the lion that Brax had bought him a few weeks previous when he was in hospital.

“Hey bud how was your day?” Angelo questioned as he walked into the house.

“Great,” Connor answered. “Darryl was real good at bowling. We had McDonalds for lunch too.”

“Lucky boy,” Angelo smiled. “And is this teddy new too?”

“Darryl bought me it when I was in the hospital from when the spider bit me,” Connor answered. “I called him Darryl,” Connor gave a little giggle. “Darryl the lion.”

“That a good name for a lion,” Angelo smiled down at his son, before looking to Charlie. He gave her a smile, which she returned before cleaning his throat. “So how do we…” Angelo trailed off as he scratched the side of his head.

“We just tell him straight,” Charlie said quietly before she sat down on the couch next to her son. Angelo followed and sat at the other side of Connor. Connor looked up to Charlie, then to Angelo, before looking back at Charlie.

“Is I in trouble?” Connor questioned.

“No sweetheart,” Charlie shook her head. “Look, you know how mummy and daddy don’t live together anymore?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah,” Connor answered quietly as he nodded his head. “You fell out.”

“Yeah, we fell out,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Well mummy and daddy decided it would be best if we weren’t married anymore either.”

“Oh,” Connor looked slightly confused. “But you is still my mummy and you is still my daddy?”

“Yes,” Angelo answered. “That’ll never change squirt.”

“So is I still Connor Ross Rosetta?” Connor asked. “Or do I have to get new names?”

“You’ll still be Connor Ross Rosetta,” Charlie answered. “And daddy will still be Angelo Rosetta, but mummy has changed her name back to Charlie Buckton, like it was before she met your daddy.”

“Oh,” Connor bowed his head down. “I was us to be all the same.”

“We’ll we can’t be,” Charlie shook her head. “Me and your daddy aren’t together anymore.”

“You said it would be only for a while and that daddy would move back home,” Connor sounded like he was going to cry as he looked up to Charlie, his big blue eyes looking so sad. “You did mummy.”

“I know I did,” Charlie sniffed back. She hated seeing her little boy upset. “But that was a long time ago and unfortunately things with me and daddy got worse instead of better so it can’t happen.”

“But I don’t like it like this,” Connor shook his head. “It makes daddy angry and he shouts to me,” Connor let a tear escape his eye. “If you let him come home maybe he will be nice again.”

“It’s not as simple as that bud.” Charlie shook her head as she rubbed her sons back.

“Yeah, he just moves home.” Connor cried.

“Hey squirt,” Angelo exhaled lightly as he exchanged a glance with Charlie. “It’s not about me just moving home to make everything okay. It won’t be okay. Me and mummy have so much we’d need to talk about and sort out, and I think that for mummy anyways, it’s not there anymore. She doesn’t want us to be together.”

“I don’t want to talk anymore.” Connor shrugged himself away from Charlie and ran up the stairs.

“Way to make me look like the bad guy,” Charlie wiped a tear from her eye. “Thanks for that.”

“I don’t think you’d ever be the bad guy in Connor’s eyes,” Angelo shook his head. “And we said we’d tell him the truth and you are the one who wanted this divorce.”

“You’re the one who left,” Charlie retorted. “I just thought that on some level it must have been what you wanted.”

“No,” Angelo shook his head. “I was grieving and my mind….” Angelo exhaled. “Well it was all over the place.”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she nodded. “I had a dream last night that we were still together, Lily was still here. It was her first birthday and we were at the beach. You and Connor were kicking a soccer ball about and Lily was watching in awe. She eh….she stood up and took her first steps. We were all so happy,” Charlie trailed off. “That’s what I want it to be like. I want that. Me and you together. Connor and Lily with us, but…” Charlie wiped her hand over her eyes. “I’m only ever going to get that in my dreams now.”

Angelo cleared his throat as he felt his eyes stinging. “Lily maybe, but me, you and Connor could be a family again. I believe we could get back what we had.”

“I eh…” Charlie shook her head as she wiped the tears from her cheek. Angelo exhaled before moving forward in the couch and wrapping his arm around her in a hug and placing a soft kiss on her head. “Sorry, but you should leave,” Charlie pulled herself away from Angelo’s grasp and stood up from the couch. “I have to talk to Connor.”

“Sure,” Angelo sighed as he stood up from the couch. “But Charlie, last night, was that a mistake or did it mean something?” Angelo questioned, hoping that Charlie would answer something along the lines of the latter.

“I don’t know, I’m sorry,” Charlie shook her head. “I….this divorce….I’m so confused and I just….I don’t have an answer for you, sorry.”

“Maybe the fact that you’ve told Connor we’re divorced shows that that’s what you really want,” Angelo spoke sadly. “If you were unsure you’d probably hold off telling him.”

“I do still have feelings for you though.” Charlie answered.

“I can see that,” Angelo said. “But it doesn’t mean that you think getting back with me is the right thing to do, does it?” Angelo questioned.

“Look, I said I don’t know,” Charlie exhaled. “I’m going to talk to Connor, so I suggest you just leave.” Charlie didn’t mean to be so blunt, but right now, when her child was upset, Angelo didn’t matter. She sighed lightly before she ran up the stairs and walked into her son’s bedroom to find him lying in a ball under the covers, cuddling Darryl the Loin close to him, his face tearstained. “Connor,” Charlie said softy as she rubbed moved the covers from him, and rubbed his back. “Mummy’s sorry that this has had to happen.”

“You not love him no more?” Connor asked as he sat up in the bed and cuddled close to Charlie.

“I eh....” Charlie paused. “Not like I used to.” Charlie answered.

“Because of me?” Connor asked shyly. “Is it my fault?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head as she rubbed her son’s back again. “You are not to blame, sweetheart, sometimes adults just fall out of love.”

“After Lily went to heaven you did,” Connor said sadly. “That’s when daddy went angry and left.”

“I know,” Charlie answered. “But grieving is really hard and sometimes it makes people do the wrong thing and that’s why daddy was angry and left. He was just too sad about Lily and he couldn’t cope here anymore.”

“So if Lily didn’t go to heaven would daddy still be here?” Connor questioned.

“You’re a pretty smart 5 year old, you know that.” Charlie answered as she ruffled her son’s hair, avoiding giving a straight answer to his question.

“Because you is my mummy,” Connor smiled lightly. “So daddy is going to live in his house forever and we’ll be here forever?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “For now at least, anyways.”

“And I’ll still get to visit him some of the days?” Connor asked.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “You’ll go on Mondays and Wednesdays.”

“But do I need to sleep over?” Connor questioned.

“Only if you want too,” Charlie answered. “But mummy and daddy won’t make you do anything you don’t want.”

“I don’t think so yet,” Connor shook his head. “Then you will be all alone.”

“Yeah, but then you’ll be leaving daddy all alone won’t you?” Charlie said and Connor scratched the side of his head as he thought about how to answer this.

“Maybe you could get new friends then,” Connor said. “I don’t want you to be sad and alone.”

“Hey, I’ll never be sad and alone when I have you and there’s Ruby,” Charlie answered. “You don’t need to worry about mummy in that way, okay sweetie?”

“Okay,” Connor nodded. “Love you mummy.” Connor wrapped his arms around Charlie in a hug, and she smiled as she squeezed him tight.

“Love you too squirt.” Charlie smiled.

“Mummy,” Connor giggled. “You are squishing me.”

Charlie gave a little laugh as she pulled back. “How about we get some popcorn ready, a little bit of chocolate and put on Madagascar?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah, can we?” Connor grinned as he jumped up onto his knees on his bed.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “If you want too? You don’t look too impressed with the idea.” Charlie joked.

“No mummy I am, I am.” Connor widened his eyes. “Let’s go now.” Connor jumped down from the bed and pulled on Charlie’s hand, dragging her excitedly out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 54

Charlie was standing at the sidelines on the mini soccer pitch, where her son play a game every second Sunday in the districts 7-aside little league. Today the Summer Bay Snakes were playing against Yabbie Creek Crocs, each half lasting for 20 minutes. Charlie was standing on the sideline watching the game, when Angelo and Carla walked over to her. “Morning.” Angelo smiled.

“Hey,” Charlie replied. “How are you today Carla?”

“Oh fine,” Carla answered. “It’s my fault we are a little late. I’ve packed up my stuff. I’m heading home soon after this game.” Carla said.

“Need to get back to Roberto?” Charlie answered.

“Oh he is fine,” Carla answered. “I just need to get back to reality.”

“Yeah.” Charlie answered before looking up at Angelo.

“How long have they been playing for?” Angelo questioned as he looked down to his watch. They couldn’t have been more than 10 minutes late.

“5 minutes,” Charlie exhaled. “The Yabbie Creek goal keeper took a strop so it took him a while to get on the field.” Charlie laughed lightly.

“So no score yet?” Angelo questioned and Charlie shook her head as she looked back to the game, just as her son got the ball and starting running in the direction on the goals. “Go on son,” Angelo shouted proudly as Connor took a shot at goal. “Oooh,” Angelo exhaled as the ball just went wide. “So how was he last night?”

“He was fine,” Charlie answered. “I managed to get him around again. We watched Madagascar and had some popcorn so he was happy then.”

“Poor kid, all this can’t be easy for him,” Carla chipped in. “He’s so young.”

“Yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “But he’ll be fine. I know it’s been a tough year for all of us but our lives have to go on.”

“Yeah they do.” Angelo sighed, his dreams of reuniting with Charlie fading slightly at her comment.

“I was actually thinking of taking Connor on a holiday in the April holidays,” Charlie said as she looked up to Angelo. “If it’s okay with you?”

“Me?” Angelo questioned. “Why do you need my permission? Unless, you wanted me to come with you? You know it might actually be nice for Connor. Not only does he get to be with both of us but he can see that we still get along.”

Charlie bit her lip and she shook her head. “I don’t think that would be a good idea. You don’t want to go giving him the wrong impression. I just meant because you’d obviously not get to see him on the days you were supposed to if I take him away.”

“Oh...” Angelo scratched the side of his head. “Right yea, ehm….we’ll just have to sort something so I can see him extra before you go or when you get back,” Angelo answered. “I don’t want to stop you going on holiday.”

“Thank you.” Charlie and Angelo exchanged a smile.

“So, I’ve been thinking,” Angelo said. “This bereavement group that you go to on Thursdays, is there space for me?”

“There’s space for anyone who wants to go,” Charlie answered. “Why?”

“I eh…I think it’s time that I learned how to say goodbye,” Angelo said. “Obviously not rid her from my life completely but -”

“I know what you mean,” Charlie said. “And it would be nice if you came with me. Everyone else has their partner there,” Charlie said before realising she and Angelo weren’t actually a couple anymore. “Or the father, I mean.”

Angelo smiled awkwardly. “Eh, yeah well I’d like to start going, so it’s Thursdays, right?” Angelo questioned.

“One Thursday a month.” Charlie replied.

“Well let me know when the next one is and we can go together.” Angelo said and Charlie nodded lightly before they both exhaled and turned around to watch their son playing soccer.

Charlie opened the door to find Brax standing at the other side. After the soccer finished Carla took Connor out for some ice-cream, and just to spend sometime with him before she left to go back to Melbourne and Angelo went back to work, leaving Charlie to go home alone. “Brax,” Charlie was surprised to see him. “What are you doing here?”

“I wanted to apologise to Connor for not being able to get to his soccer this morning,” Brax answered. “I know how much he wanted me there.”

“Oh, yeah,” Charlie said. “He must have forgotten he asked you as he didn’t mention you, if I am honest.”

Brax laughed lightly. “Wasted trip then.”

“Do you want to come in?” Charlie questioned. “You can have a coffee or something?” Charlie looked up at Brax and in that moment, when she looked at his handsome face, and his sparkling eyes, she wanted to do nothing more than kiss him right there and then.

“Sure,” Brax nodded as he waked into the house. “Connor not around?”

“He’s out with Carla,” Charlie answered. “Quiet nice to have the afternoon to myself actually,” Charlie laughed lightly. “Normally I don’t like being myself but today it’s been nice.”

“Oh well if you want me to leave?” Brax questioned, sensing Charlie may be hinting at that.

“No no,” Charlie shook her head as she put the kettle on and took two cups from the cupboard. “Company is always nice too,” Charlie gave Brax a smile which he returned. “So, how was your morning?”

“Good,” Brax smiled. “You are now looking at the new assistant manager of Noir.” Brax grinned.

“Ah you got a new job,” Charlie said. “Well done, that was pretty fast.”

“Yeah, guess I was just lucky.” Brax answered.

“So the French place in Reefton Lakes, huh?” Charlie said as she put the coffee into the cups, followed by the sugar into her cup. “Fancy.”

“Yeah,” Brax laughed. “Don’t think I will be taking my brothers there in a hurry.”

“No,” Charlie laughed lightly as she took the milk out from the fridge. “But that’s great, well done. Did Angelo actually give you a good reference?”

“Well when they phoned they got Dave, so they just spoke to him. He’s my boss after Angelo anyways.” Brax answered.

“I see,” Charlie said as she poured the boiling water into the cups before adding the milk and giving them a stir. “So does this mean you will invite me out for dinner to Noir then?” Charlie gave Brax a cheeky grin as she put the milk back into the fridge before handing him his coffee cup.

Brax gave a small laugh. “Well maybe one day you and Connor could come up, yeah.”

“Connor too?” Charlie sounded slightly surprised. “Maybe we could have one of those dates that you wanted without Connor?” Charlie spoke shyly as she hid her mouth with her coffee cup.

“Charlotte Buckton, did you just ask me out on a date?” Brax tried to sound relaxed but inside he was eager to let his excitement show.

“Maybe,” Charlie bit her lip. “Unless you’ve changed your mind about wanting to date me?”

“No no,” Brax shook his head. “I’d love to take you out.” Charlie blushed slightly as she lay her coffee cup down on the worktop and looked up into Brax’s eyes. She smiled lightly as she stepped forward, thinking to go for it with him, they were both attracted to each other, and they might be able to have something great. As soon as he walked in the door, she couldn’t fight the urge to be with him any longer. She still had feelings for Angelo, she was sure of that, but something was telling her to give Brax a chance. She smiled at him as she placed her hand on his cheek and rubbed it lightly, their faces now only millimetres apart. He smiled back at her as he put one hand around her waist, thinking he was about to get everything he always wanted. Charlie stood on her tip toes and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “Mmm,” Brax smiled as he pulled back. “Are you sure this is what you want?”

“Yes,” Charlie whispered as she kissed him once again, Brax accidently dropping the coffee cup to the ground, where it smashed into little pieces, the hot coffee splashing out everywhere. Brax went to talk but Charlie shook her head and placed her index finger on his lips. “Shhh its okay,” Charlie said before she placed another kiss on his lips, this one becoming more passionate and intense, as their tongues crashed together. Charlie felt a strange but welcome feeling in her stomach, like fireworks exploding as the kiss intensified. Brax pulled her tiny frame even closer to his, never breaking their kiss as he moved his hands over her back, before resting them on her bottom. “Mmm wait,” Charlie reluctantly pulled back from the kiss, and looked up to Brax. “I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have anything to be sorry about,” Brax said. “That was...it was…wow.” Brax grinned as he tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear and looked into her expressive blue eyes.

“Sorry I eh….there’s someone I need to talk to before anything can happen with us,” Charlie said. “You can understand that, right?”

Brax exhaled lightly, presuming Charlie was wanting to talk to Angelo. Of course he didn’t want her too, there was no way Angelo would ever give Charlie and Brax his blessing, but he knew he needed to say yes, if he had any chance at all in getting with her. “Okay, sure. Whatever you need to do.” Brax smiled softly before leaning forward and placing another soft kiss on her lips. She responded, letting it get more passionate as once again, their tongues explored each others mouths.

“Mmm, no really,” Charlie pulled back once again. “I really need to talk to him.”

Brax nodded understandingly as he pulled back again. He cleared his throat before looking down at the coffee cup that was smashed into pieces of the floor. “I’ll eh, help you clean this up.” Brax said as he bent down and started picking up the bigger bits of china as Charlie walked over to the kitchen cupboard and pulled out the broom and dustpan to pick up the smaller pieces.

Thank you all so very much.

Chapter 55

Carla rang the doorbell to Charlie’s house, before Connor opened the door and ran into the house. “Mummy,” Connor shouted. “Where are you?”

Charlie walked down the stairs as she heard her son talking. “Hey squirt, mummy was just putting away your clothes.” Charlie answered.

“Oh you been ironing?” Connor questioned and Charlie laughed lightly as she nodded.

“Yup, that’s the kind of exciting things that mummy’s get to do.” Carla laughed down at her grandson.

“How was your afternoon with grandma?” Charlie questioned as she ruffled her sons hair.

“Good,” Connor answered. “We got ice-cream.”

“Lucky you,” Charlie smiled down at her son. “What do you say to grandma?” Charlie questioned. “She’s going home to Melbourne now.”

“Oh...goodbye and thank you,” Connor said as he hugged her.

“Goodbye Connor,” Carla grinned as she placed a kiss on his cheek. “I’ll be back to see you soon okay,” Connor nodded before he ran off up the stairs. “And you Charlie,” Carla smiled. “That Brax guy is a nice catch, so you could have left my son for a lot worse.”

“I didn’t leave Angelo for Brax,” Charlie shook her head. “Angelo was the one who left me.”

“I guess so, but something – or should I say someone – is stopping you from going back to him.” Carla said quietly.

“It’s not as simple as that, Carla,” Charlie replied. “I still have feelings for your son. He is the father of Connor and Lily and I think that there will always be something between us, but I can’t be with him anymore. Something is telling me not to go back to him, not to give him that second chance after he was the one who walked out on me. He left me just 4 months after our daughter died, he was the one who started all this, it’s his fault that we are now divorced, not mine.”

“Oh Charlie,” Carla shook her head. “I’m not trying to put the blame onto you. I know my son is no angel. I just, be sure you know what you really want before you do anything. Because you could end up hurting not only yourself but two men who care very much for you.”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she nodded her head. “I know. And I don’t want to be hurt again either, so I am going to be careful about this.” Carla nodded as she pulled Charlie into a hug.

“I need to head now, but just take care of yourself and that little boy up there. He’s a great kid Charlie.” Carla smiled as she pulled back from the hug.

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled. “Have a safe trip home and stay in touch for Connor.”

“I will.” Carla answered before she left the house, just as Connor came running down the stairs with his lego.

“Mummy can we build something together?” Connor questioned as he placed the box of lego down on the coffee table. Charlie exhaled lightly as rubbed her forehead.

“Sure we can sweetie but mummy wants to talk to you about something first,” Charlie said as Connor took the lid off the box of lego and started putting the pieces together. “C’mon, come sit down on the couch.” Charlie took a seat as she patted next to her.

“Mummy,” Connor sighed. “I don’t want to talk; I want to play legos.”

“You can play lego later,” Charlie pulled her son’s hand from the lego. “Please Connor, it’s important.”

Connor exhaled lightly as he jumped up onto the couch. “Is it because we didn’t win soccer today?”

“No,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “You tried you’re hardest and you still scored a goal,” Charlie ruffled her sons hair. “It’s....” Charlie pursed her lips together. “You like Darryl right?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded his head. “He is my friend.”

“How would you feel if I said he could be mummy’s new boyfriend?” Charlie questioned.

Connor scrunched his face up as she scratched the side of his head. “Mummy, are you silly?” Connor questioned.

“No, cheeky, I am not silly.” Charlie tickled his side lightly.

Connor giggled. “Well I think you is because Darryl is your boyfriend. A boy and a friend.” Connor sighed, feeling exasperated that his mother still couldn’t grasp this.

“Okay, well I mean like a boyfriend boyfriend. Like you’re daddy and I used to be.” Charlie said as she ran her hand through his hair.

“So would he live here and uhm....he’d kiss you and hold your hand?” Connor screwed his face up.

Charlie laughed lightly. “Yeah,” Charlie answered. “But he wouldn’t live here, not for a while anyways. But maybe some nights he would sleepover.”

“Oh,” Connor pursed his lips together. “So would he still be my friend too?” Connor asked.

“Of course,” Charlie nodded. “Brax really likes you. You have fun together, don’t you?”

“Yeah,” Connor answered. “So we’ll still get to play sometimes without you having to be there?”

“Sure you can bud,” Charlie smiled. “But you’re okay with this yeah? Because if you don’t want mummy to start dating someone who isn’t daddy then I won’t okay.”

“Uhm....” Connor scratched the side of his head. “And daddy will still see me?”

“Of course,” Charlie answered. “Brax isn’t going to replace daddy. Your daddy will always be here for you and he’ll always be your daddy.”

“Okay,” Connor nodded. “It’s okay mummy. You can have Darryl as your boyfriend boyfriend. I’m okay with it.” Connor smiled. Charlie leaned forward and placed a kiss on her son’s forehead before pulling him into a hug.

“Love you squirt.” Charlie smiled down at her son.

“Love you too mummy lots and lots.” Connor smiled as he cuddled into her.

Ruby and Romeo were walking hand in hand across the beach, about to go and meet Dexter and April at the Surf Club to play some pool and have a smoothie. “So, have you thought about this job offer from Angelo yet?” Ruby questioned.

“I think I should take it,” Romeo exhaled. “Let’s face it, my surf business isn’t doing great and I enjoy working there so what’s a few extra shifts?” Romeo said. “And it’s better pay so I’ll get more money.” Romeo smiled down at Ruby.

“More money to spoil your gorgeous girlfriend?” Ruby joked as she gave him a cheeky grin.

“Well I don’t know where she went so I’ll just need to spoil you instead.” Romeo teased before tickling Ruby’s side. Ruby gave a girly squeal before she started to laugh.

“Stop please,” Ruby said. “Really Romeo it hurts, please stop.” Ruby doubled over as she got a cramp like feeling in her stomach. She gritted her teeth together as she exhaled.

“Sorry, are you okay?” Romeo sounded slightly panicked as he rubbed her back.

“I’ve been getting cramps the last few days,” Ruby answered. “I’m sure I just need to sit down and have some water and I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure?” Romeo questioned. “We can go back to your place if you want. Meet April and Dex another time.”

“Maybe yeah,” Ruby nodded. “Although I could go home myself if you want to hang with them.”

“Nah, I’m sure they’ll understand.” Romeo answered as he pulled out his phone and went to text Dexter.

“They don’t know that I am pregnant yet,” Ruby answered before she winced as she rubbed her stomach. “Aaa,” Ruby exhaled as she felt some pain. “Please don’t tell them yet.”

“Right I’ll think up some excuse to text him,” Romeo said as he started typing on this phone. “Maybe you should go to the doctors instead of just home?” Romeo suggested as he and Ruby started to walk off the beach, and back in the direction of Rachel’s place.

“Rachel’s at home,” Ruby answered. “She is a doctor so let’s see what she thinks.” Romeo nodded lightly as he took Ruby’s hand and walked with her back to Rachel’s place, which only took them about 5 minutes. They walked into the house to find Rachel busy doing some ironing.

“Ruby you are home early,” Rachel looked slightly surprised. “Is everything alright?” Rachel questioned as she saw the look of discomfort on Ruby’s face.

“She said she is feeling cramps.” Romeo answered as Ruby sat down on the couch.

“Can you get her a glass of water?” Rachel questioned and Romeo nodded as he walked over to the kitchen.

Rachel took a seat on the couch next to Ruby, and lightly pressed her hand over her stomach. “What would you describe these cramps like?” Rachel questioned.

“Like period pain,” Ruby answered. “Maybe slightly worse.” Ruby exhaled lightly as she looked up to Rachel, and saw the look of slightly worry on her face.

“And have you had any bleeding today, any spotting over the last few days?” Rachel asked.

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “Just the cramping on and off for a couple of days. Should I have said something?”

“It wouldn’t have been necessary,” Rachel shook her head. “Cramping in early pregnancy is common. You’re uterus will be growing and stretching to prepare itself for pregnancy and your growing baby, so I’d expect that’s all it’ll be.” Rachel answered as Romeo handed Ruby the glass of water and she took a drink.

“So you’re not worried?” Ruby questioned.

“Not at this moment in time, no,” Rachel shook her head. “But if you are worried we can go to the hospital.”

“It’s your child,” Ruby replied. “It’s up to you and if you think me and the baby are fine then no, we don’t need to go to the hospital.” Ruby shook her head.

“If you start spotting or the pain gets really unbearable then let me know and we’ll go to the hospital okay?” Rachel said and Ruby gave a gentle nod in reply.

“Rachel?” Ruby questioned. “Well you know how it’s the 12 week scan next week?”

“Yeah,” Rachel answered excitedly. She couldn’t wait to see her baby on the screen. “What about it?”

“Well I wondering if it would be okay with you, could I ask Charlie to be there too?” Ruby questioned. “Maybe if see she’s how excited you are for the baby and how much I want this for you, I.....I just want her to be okay with this and maybe this will help. And it would be nice if she was there for me too.”

Rachel exhaled lightly, not sure if Charlie going to the scan of a child that she wouldn’t have any involvement with was such as good idea. She pursed her lips together and looked into Ruby’s eyes. She looked scared, and she needed her mother. “If you want to ask Charlie then that’s fine by me,” Rachel answered and she smiled softly as she saw a smile appear on Ruby’s face. “Now why don’t you go for a lie down and I’ll fix you up a little snack. See if it can help with those cramps.” Rachel said and Ruby nodded lightly as she stood up from the couch.

“Will you come lie with me?” Ruby questioned as she looked up at Romeo. Romeo looked to Rachel, as if asking for permission and Rachel gave a slight nod, before the two of them walked out of the room and down the hall to Ruby’s bedroom. Rachel exhaled before walking over to the kitchen to make Ruby a snack.

Thanks everyone.

Chapter 56

Ruby walked into the diner and over to the table where Charlie was waiting on her. “Hello,” Charlie smiled cheerily up at her daughter. “How are you today?”

“I’m fine,” Ruby answered. “You seem awfully cheery for someone who’s only recently got divorced.”

“Yes well life goes on,” Charlie answered. “And I got a text from my daughter wanting to meet for coffee today, so I’d say that’s enough reason to smile.” Charlie gave Ruby another smile as Irene came over to take their order.

“Morning loveys what can I get you today?” Irene questioned.

“Latte please.” Charlie ordered.

“Ginger tea and a slice of your lemon drizzle cake please.” Ruby ordered and Irene wrote the order down before she walked away to get it for them.

“Baby starting to crave sweet things?” Charlie questioned as she saw Ruby lightly rubbing her stomach.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “I’ve ate so much cake from here the last few days. I’m going to be the size of the house by my due date.” Ruby laughed.

“Aww but the baby will be all cute with chubby little cheeks,” Charlie smiled. “Imagine bringing her home and -” Charlie trailed off and she bit her lip. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Ruby smiled lightly. “I think Rachel would like the whole chubby little baby anyways. You know, He’ll look healthy.”

“Yeah,” Charlie exhaled. So, you’re dead set on this adoption thing huh?” Charlie questioned as she played with the sugar bowl, for distraction from the answer she knew was coming.

“Yeah, it’s what’s for the best. I’m not ready to be a mother and Rachel is already a mother but she doesn’t have a child.” Ruby answered. “She’s your friend. I thought you’d be happy this was happening for her.”

“Yeah but she’s getting my grandchild,” Charlie exhaled. “You have to understand how hard this whole situation is.”

“We’ll considering I am the one giving up the child, I think I know how hard all this is going to be,” Ruby exhaled. “Maybe I shouldn’t ask you then.” Ruby muttered under her breath, but not quite enough for Charlie not to hear.

“What’s that?” Charlie questioned. “As me where?”

Ruby paused her answer as Irene brought them the coffee and tea over, before returning with her cake. She exhaled lightly as she put a spoonful of sugar into her tea before giving it a stir. “I was....” Ruby bit her lip. “I wanted to ask you to the scan on Friday,” Ruby said tentatively. “I thought the support from you would be nice.”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she stirred the sugar into her coffee. “I don’t think it’s a good idea, Ruby,” Charlie answered. “Unless you are going to be there yourself?” Charlie questioned.

“Tony and Rachel will be there,” Ruby answered. “I just thought it would be nice to have your support, that’s all.”

Charlie bit her lip as she looked into her daughters green eyes, normally so bright, and full of life, but today, as they were talking, she looked scared, frightened and real sadness to them. “I’ll be there to support you if it’s what you want.” Charlie smiled as she leaned forward and rubbed her hand.

A small smile formed on Ruby’s face. “Only if it’s what you want. I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable.”

“Rubes, what I want right now...” Charlie shook her head. “It doesn’t matter. I love you so much and I told you, you would have my unconditional support in whatever decision you make.”

“Thanks,” Ruby smiled. “I’d really appreciate it if you were there.”

“Then I’ll be there,” Charlie answered before taking a drink if her coffee. “Anything to make it easier for you.”

“Thanks,” Ruby smiled at Charlie, before cutting off a bit of her cake. “So, what’s going on in your life?” Ruby questioned. “Any exciting gossip?”

“Uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Not really.” Charlie shook her as she looked to the counter to see Brax paying for his take away coffee. He smiled at her and Charlie smiled back, and Ruby looked around to the counter to see him standing smiling at her.

“Nothing at all?” Ruby questioned. “That was a very friendly smile you just gave each other. You’re sure there’s nothing at all?”

“Mmm,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked back at Ruby. “We might have kissed a bit yesterday.” Charlie answered.

Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Oh really? So is he the new Mr Buckton?” Ruby grinned.

“Well we’re going to date and....yeah,” Charlie cleared her throat. “We’ll see how it goes.”

“Aww I’m happy for you,” Ruby smiled. “He’s hunky too.”

“Ruby.” Charlie went slightly red, feeling slightly embarrassed.

“Well I’m just saying the truth,” Ruby laughed. “Don’t need to get embarrassed.”

“Yeah he is pretty dishy.” Charlie grinned excited at the prospect of a date with Brax.

Connor ran out of the school and over to Angelo. “Hey daddy.” Connor smiled as he took his hand.

“Hey squirt, how was school today?” Angelo questioned as they starting walking along the sidewalk in the direction of Angelo’s flat.

“Okay,” Connor sighed. “You don’t have work do you?”

“No no,” Angelo shook his head. “I have the whole night off so I can spend it with you.”

“Cool,” Connor smiled. “What are you cooking me for dinner?” Connor questioned.

“Sausage, peas and mashed potatoes,” Angelo answered. “How does that sound?”

“Uhm,” Connor scratched the side of his head. “Lots of gravy?”

“Of course,” Angelo answered. “What’s sausage and mash without gravy?” Angelo questioned and Connor gave a little giggle.

“Is that for me?” Connor questioned as he pointed to the bag Angelo was holding in his hand.

“It is,” Angelo answered. “I was going to give it to you when we got back home but here you go,” Angelo smiled as he handed the bag down to Connor. He pulled the gift out of the bag, and his face lit up as he saw Angelo had bought him a soccer game for the Xbox. “Is that the right one?” Angelo questioned.

“Well it’s the older one,” Connor answered. “But it’s still cool. Can we play it after dinner?”

“Of course we can,” Angelo smiled. “We can play as many games as you’d like.”

“Uhm, just the one daddy,” Connor answered. “Then I’ll go home.”

“So you’re not sleeping tonight then?” Angelo questioned.

“No,” Connor shook his head. “Mummy told you this morning I wouldn’t.” Connor shook his head, and he and Angelo looked to the left then the right before walking across the road.

“I know, I thought maybe you’d changed you mind,” Angelo answered as he punched the code into the door, before walking into the building, Connor running ahead as he hit the lift button. “So did you do anything fun last night?” Angelo questioned as the lift went up to the correct floor.

“Just build legos with mummy,” Connor answered. “She built a house and I build a garage for the car.” Connor smiled. “She is the best mum.”

“Yeah, she’s a good one.” Angelo smiled as the lift opened and he and Connor walked down the corridor, and Angelo opened up the door before they walked into the apartment.

“Daddy, well mummy said she had a new boyfriend boyfriend,” Connor said as he jumped up onto the chair at the worktop as Angelo got his son a drink.

“Oh she did?” Angelo questioned and Connor nodded as he pulled the glass of apple juice near to him. “And this would be Brax right?”

“Yeah, Darryl,” Connor nodded. “But it’s okay daddy. He is real nice and you will still always be my daddy. Mummy said so.”

“And she’s right,” Angelo exhaled. “I will be.”

“Yeah, so can we play some of the Xbox before dinner?” Connor questioned.

“Sure bud, we still have a couple of hours before I need to start making it.” Angelo said as Connor jumped down from the seat and ran into the living room, and switched the Xbox on. Angelo exhaled lightly as he picked up Connors juice and walked over to the living room to play with his son, saddened at hearing that Charlie could move on so quickly, given everything she said to him about having feelings for him, their kiss only a few days before hand. He rubbed his forehead lightly, deciding to put the thoughts to the side for now, as now was his time to be with his son.

Sorry, I know I've sucked at updating this one lately, but hopefully I get more regular again soon.

Chapter 57

Brax took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell. He wasn’t sure if turning up uninvited was a good idea anymore, but he was there now and couldn’t back out. “Brax,” Charlie smiled sweetly at him as she answered the door. “What brings you here?” Charlie questioned as she looked down at him and noticed he was holding a bottle of wine and a DVD.

“Well if I remember correctly, you said Connor was at his dad’s on a Monday so I thought I would come and see if you wanted my company.” Brax answered.

“Oh I eh…” Charlie looked down to her clothes. She was wearing grey sweatpants and a light pink singlet. She had next to no make-up on and her hair was tied back in a messy ponytail. “Sorry I wasn’t expecting any company tonight.”

“It’s alright,” Brax gave a little laugh. “You still look gorgeous.”

Charlie blushed. “Eh, sorry, come in.” Charlie gestured for Brax to enter the house and he gave her a nervous smile, before walking in.

“So how was your day?” Brax questioned.

“Fine yeah, yours?” Charlie replied as Brax handed her the bottle of wine.

“Good,” Brax answered. “I eh, I hope you like red.” Brax questioned.

“Yeah, red is good,” Charlie answered as she walked through to the kitchen, and put the bottle of wine up onto the worktop and pulled out two wine glasses from the cupboard. “Do you think you could open it?” Charlie questioned as she opened the drawer and handed Brax the corkscrew.

“No problems,” Brax lay the DVD down on the worktop and took the bottle opener into his hand. “I got An Officer and a Gentleman out. Figured women like that sort of movie.”

Charlie laughed lightly. “Yeah, I like that,” Charlie smiled as she took the bottle of wine from Brax and poured two glasses. Her hand shook slightly as she handed Brax his glass. For whatever reason, she was nervous. She took a deep breath as she picked up her glass and the DVD and walked through to the living room with Brax following her. She put the DVD into the player, and picked up the remote before joining Brax on the couch. They sat with a slightly gap between them, both of them unsure as to how friendly they should get. Was this an unexpected date? Or was it just two friends hanging out? As the movie started, Charlie took a deep breath and turned to face Brax. “Brax is this….I mean are we….” Charlie trailed off as she took a drink of her wine, mostly because she didn’t know what to say. Brax pursed his lips together before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss as Brax slipped his tongue in her mouth. “Mmm.” Charlie smiled as she pulled away.

“Does that answer your question?” Brax said softly and Charlie nodded. “Although if you still aren’t ready to start dating then we don’t need to yet.” Brax said as he saw the look of uncertainty on Charlie’s face.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I want to it’s just,” Charlie looked down to her watch. It was 7.05pm. “Connor will be coming home soon and I don’t want Angelo finding out in this way. You know, I should at least talk to him about it first. He deserves that at least, no?”

Brax looked slightly confused. “I thought you said last night that you were going to talk to him about us?”

“No, that was Connor I wanted to talk too,” Charlie told him. “I’ll be with you whether I get Angelo’s approval or not, it’s not really his say in who I date, but Connor, it does affect him and if he wasn’t going to be okay with me being with someone new then I wouldn’t until he was ready.”

“Ahh, right,” Brax gave a little smile. “So I guess he was okay with it?” Brax questioned and Charlie gave a little nod.

“But I still think I need to talk to Angelo before he find out in another way.”

Brax groaned, knowing Charlie was right. “Well when Angelo comes around we’ll just have to hope we aren’t pashing,” Brax said. “Other than that he won’t have evidence we are anything more than friends hanging out.”

Charlie smiled lightly as she placed a kiss on his lips. Kissing Brax felt good. Really good. She couldn’t deny her feelings any longer, it was clear she wanted to be with him. “Well we best make the most of it until he gets here, right?” Charlie questioned and Brax nodded lightly as Charlie moved closer to him and snuggled up against him, resting her head against his chest as he wrapped his arm around her and ever so lightly made little circular movements on her arm with his fingers.

After about 20 minutes of watching the movie in silence, Charlie looked up to Brax and laughed lightly. “What’s funny?” Brax questioned, confused.

“You're breathing.” Charlie answered.

“Good. I’m glad I am breathing.” Brax gave a little laugh.

“Heavy,” Charlie answered. “You’re breathing heavy.”

“Sorry,” Brax replied. “I eh…it’s something I’ve noticed that happens when I am nervous.”

“Why are you nervous?” Charlie questioned. “I’m sure you’ve romanced plenty of girls in your time.”

“Gee thanks for assuming I am a male slut.” Brax said feeling slightly offended.

“Okay,” Charlie sat up on the couch and cross her legs. “How many girlfriends have you had?”

“Really we are doing this question already?” Brax asked as he screwed up his forehead. “Isn’t that more of a further into the relationship question?”

“I dunno,” Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “Maybe, probably, but I’m asking you now.”

“Okay,” Brax exhaled. “Well let’s see there has been Jane, Alice, Lisa, Ashley, Leanne, Melanie, Sue, Wendy, Eve, Sonia -“

“I think you should stop there,” Charlie said feeling saddened. “You’ve really been with all those women?”

“No,” Brax laughed. “Those are just names of girls I remember from school.”

“Oi.” Charlie hit his chest.

Brax laughed cheekily. “Okay, seriously, I was with Tegan from the age of 15 through till about 25 on and off,” Brax answered. “Then after her I was with this Hayley chick for a while and then Sarah very briefly, so I’ve had 3 girlfriends and add a couple of one night stands in there if you want to know that.”

“Oh,” Charlie smiled lightly. “That’s not as much as I thought.”

“I don’t know whether to be offended or pleased.” Brax said and Charlie laughed.

“It’s a good thing, honestly.” Charlie smiled.

“Okay, so your turn to spill,” Brax said. “How many boyfriends have you had?”

Charlie pursed her lips together. “Well obviously I was with Angelo for a long time. Before him I was with one guy and that’s pretty much it.”

Brax raised his eyebrows, surprised. “So this guy, I’m assuming must have been Ruby’s dad?” Brax questioned. “You must have been with him for a while too?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “Ruby’s dad was someone else.” Charlie looked down embarrassed by what had happened to her.

“It’s alright,” Brax put his hand on her chin, and brought her head up to face him again. He moved his hand up to her cheek and rubbed it lightly. “We all make mistakes when we are young.” Brax said softly. “I won’t judge you for it. I’m not like that.”

Charlie gave Brax a weak smile. “Thanks but, it’s not what you…” Charlie trailed off as the door opened and Connor ran into the house, along with Angelo who was less than impressed to see Brax with his hand on Charlie’s cheek.

“So Connor was telling the truth huh?” Angelo shook his head. “Mustn’t have meant much to you if you can move on so quickly eh.” Angelo bowed his head down saddened.

Charlie stood up from the couch and walked over to Angelo, as Connor bounced excitedly around her. “Mummy daddy bought soccer for Xbox and -”

“Can you go up the stairs and get your stuff ready for bath time?” Charlie questioned as she smiled down at her son.

“But mummy I -”

“C’mon, I’ll help you.” Brax said as he took Connor hand and let him over to the stairs. Charlie gave him a thankful smile before looking back to Angelo.

“How long has it been going on?” Angelo questioned.

“It’s not really even on yet,” Charlie shook her head. “We kissed yesterday and he came around – uninvited, I might add – tonight and we’re talking, it’s nice and I’m sorry but we are over and me and Brax, it’s going to happen whether you want it to or not.”

“And what about Connor?” Angelo questioned. “Have you at least asked him if he is okay with a new man being in your life?”

“Yeah, I did,” Charlie answered. “And he is fine with it. I’m sorry you found out how you did, I honestly was going to talk about it with you tonight, but, well, yeah.”

Angelo exhaled lightly as he shook his head. “I’ll see you on Wednesday when I bring Connor home.” Angelo said before walking out of the house and slamming the door shut, letting Charlie know of his anger and sadness and her new relationship.

I'm not liking this so much...I know what I want to happen but I seem to have trouble getting it down at the moment. :(

Chapter 58

Ruby was lying on the bed in the hospital waiting for her scan. Rachel and Tony were waiting eager to see the child that would soon be calling them mummy and daddy, the child that would soon bring so much joy into their lives. Ruby exhaled as she looked up to the clock. It was 10.06am, and the scan was supposed to be at 10am but Ruby had asked them to hold off for just a few minutes, because Charlie was coming, but the ultra sound technician was keen was to get started as she had other appointments to be getting on with. “Look, I’m sorry, I can’t hold off any longer.” The lady picked up the gel and squeezed some on to Ruby’s stomach, which over the last few days a tiny bump had started to look visible.

“I’m here, I’m here,” Charlie’s voice could be heard as she burst into the room. “I’m so sorry I’m late.”

“It’s okay,” Ruby answered quietly. “You’re here now.”

“There are an awful lot of you in here,” The technician said as she began the scan. “This you’re fan club?”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “They are the adoptive parents and this is my….Charlie, this is Charlie.”

“Right, I see,” The technician smile. “Well thank God for that.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Charlie questioned. “Thank God for what?”

“Well I…” The technical swallowed. “I just meant, with Ruby being only 18 and single I….its good that this child is going to a stable family. You know a couple.”

“Who are you to judge the people who come in here?” Charlie spat. “She would do just fine raising this child by herself but she’s chose to give two people who cant have children of their own a magnificent gift.”

“I’m sorry, I -”

“Just do your job and make sure everything is alright with the baby.” Charlie said. The technician pursed her lips together and the rest of the scan was pretty silent, except for the necessary explanations that the technician gave on the baby.

“Okay, so I’ll get you a copy of the scan pictures printed off,” The technical said as she pressed a button on the machine, letting the prints off come out. “And sorry, I forgot to say you appear to be due September 13th.”

“Thank you,” Ruby smiled as she took the scans from her but immediately handed them to Tony and Rachel, before all of them left the room. “So, how was it seeing your baby?”

“Ahhh,” Rachel wiped a tear from her eye. “We can’t thank you enough for this Ruby.”

“I’m just glad that the baby will get to have two parents who are as loving and great as you two.”

“Thanks for thinking so highly of us.” Tony gave a small laugh as they walked out of the hospital, towards their cars.

“Charlie, I eh…” Rachel paused. “I’m having people over tonight. Eh, Bianca, Roo, Gina, Irene, Marilyn, Colleen unfortunately,” Rachel gave a small laugh. “I would love it if you were able to make it.”

Charlie pursed her lips together. She’d hardly spoken to Rachel since Ruby told her about the adoption. “I don’t know if I will get a sitter for Connor on such short notice.” Charlie answered, partly this was just an excuse, but it was also part truth, so she didn’t feel bad for saying it.

“I’ll watch him,” Ruby smiled up at Charlie. “Think some brother/sister bonding is due anyway.”

“I don’t know I -”

“Charlie, it’ll be nice for you to see all your friends,” Ruby answered. “You’re going and that’s final. I’ll be around at 7.” Ruby said as she got into Tony and Rachel’s car.

“Right, I’ll see you later then.” Charlie said before she got into her car and drove off in the direction of her house.

“I really don’t want to go,” Charlie shook her head as she sat down on the couch next to him, placing the coffee cups down on the table. “Can’t you take me on a date or something?”

Brax gave a small laugh. “Aren’t you supposed to wait for me to ask you out on a date?”

“Well then, I’m asking you,” Charlie sighed. “Will you go on a date with me tonight?”

“I’d love too,” Brax gave Charlie a smile. “But you need to go to Rachel’s.”

“Not really,” Charlie shook her head. “Plenty other people will be there.”

“Look, I know that your finding it hard to be friends with her now you know that she is going to be raising your grandchild but you two were such good friends,” Brax said. “Especially after Lily died she was great for you.” Charlie looked down, sadden.

“Bianca was there for me too,” Charlie said after a moments silence. “Not just Rachel.”

“No, but she’s your friend and it would be a shame to lose your friendship. And you know the baby isn’t even here yet. Just because Ruby says she wants to give it up for adoption right now doesn’t mean she’ll do it.”

“She will,” Charlie nodded. “Her mind is made up. Morag has sorted out the papers and everything.” Charlie spoke quietly as Brax pulled her closer to him and into a hug.

“Then go to show Ruby that you’re supporting her,” Brax said. “You want to fix the relationship with her right? I mean whatever happened between you two has left it pretty strained. This could help you and Ruby by showing her that your there for her and supporting her choices in making Rachel the mother.”

“I guess,” Charlie exhaled. “I just hope she realises how hard it’s going to be.”

“And that’s why it’s important she has you,” Brax rubbed her back as he spoke. “She’ll need her mum when/if she does give the baby up.”

Charlie nodded lightly. “Okay, enough about my life, tell me about yours.” Charlie said as she sat herself crossed legged on the couch and smiled up at Brax.

“What do you want to know?” Brax questioned.

“I eh….” Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “Hows the new job?”

“So far so good,” Brax smiled. “It’s a bit faster paced than Angelo’s but I like it yeah.”

“So when are you taking me?” Charlie gave him a cheeky smile.

“Well,” Brax laughed. “Today is Thursday, I’m working Friday night, but I’m only in till 4 on Saturday, so, I could take you out on Saturday?”

Charlie smiled lightly. “Saturday sounds good,” Charlie replied. “I’ll hopefully get a sitter for Connor.”

“Yeah,” Brax smiled. “But if not I wouldn’t have a problem with him coming,” Brax added. “He’s a good kid.”

“Well as happy as I am that you two get along, I would like to date without him always being there. We need some alone time.” Charlie said.

“Yeah, I know.” Brax smiled as he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

“What was that for?” Charlie questioned.

“Do I need a reason?” Brax questioned. “I just felt like kissing you.”

“Mmm, I see,” Charlie smiled as she leaned forward. “Well if you feel like kissing me again I won’t go complaining.”

“Well that’s good.” Brax smiled before placing another kiss on her lips, this one getting more passionate and intense, the fireworks still being felt by both of them. Brax ran his hands down Charlie’s back as she rested hers around his neck, moving one hand up to play with his hair.

“Mmm,” Charlie pulled back and pursed her lips together. “I have to go pick up Connor from school.”

Brax looked down to his watch and exhaled, disappoint that they had to stop. “Maybe you could be just a little bit late…” Brax suggested before kissing Charlie once more, the kiss once again become more intense quickly.

“Brax, no.” Charlie hit his chest as she stood up from the couch.

“Alright, let’s go,” Brax said. “I’ll treat you to some coffee and cake at the diner once we’ve picked him up.” Brax smiled as he followed Charlie out of her house.

Thank you for the comments. :)

Chapter 59

Charlie, Brax and Connor walked into the diner and Connor did a little skip of excitement at the surprise little outing. “This has made the day so good.” Connor smiled as he climbed up onto the seat, with Brax taking a seat next to him and Charlie sitting opposite her son.

“It’s only a drink in the diner.” Charlie laughed at her son’s enthusiasm.

“But it’s with Darryl,” Connor announced. “He’s real cool and nice and funny.”

“I see.” Charlie smiled before looking to Brax who was giving her a big grin.

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “So is Darryl going to sleep over tonight mum? Because it’d be okay with it, I would. He’s allowed.”

Charlie and Brax both laughed lightly at Connor. “No, he won’t be staying over tonight.”

“Oh,” Connor sounded saddened. “I thought it would be good. We could watch all the Madagascar movies and have popcorn and bags of chips and I could get a soda then we can have a midnight feast too.”

“That sounds like a very good night,” Brax smiled down at the boy. “And one day I am sure that we could do that.”

Connor smiled at Brax’s words. “But not yet?”

“Well…” Brax trailed off as he looked up to Charlie. He would be up for that tonight. “That really is up to your mummy.” Brax gave Charlie a questioning look.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “Not yet. Now why don’t you go over and see what kind of cakes Irene has out today?” Charlie questioned and Connor exhaled lightly as he jumped down from the chair and ran over to the counter.

“Sorry about him.” Charlie pursed her lips together. “He can get overly excited about things.”

“There’s nothing to be sorry for,” Brax said. “And I think it was a good suggestion if I am honest. I eh…” Brax felt himself getting hotter in the face, like he was blushing. “I’d like to spend the night with you.”

This time it was Charlie’s turn to blush. “I….sorry, it’s too soon for you to be spending the night. Given my situation with Angelo and the fact I have a young son….I don’t want to rush anything.”

Brax nodded as he ran his hand over the edge of the table. “I guess I can understand that.” Brax exhaled as Connor ran back over to them.

“There’s always always always the chocolate cake,” Connor said as he climbed up on the chair again. “Then there’s this uhm light browny looking one with whiteyish looking icing and it has what looks like a little baby carrot on top,” Connor gave a little giggle. “Then I think it’s the lemon one and a red jelly fruit looking thing.”

“Right,” Charlie answered, slightly bemused at her son’s explanations of the cakes. “You’ll want the chocolate cake right?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “And uhm….a strawberry milkshake please.”

“Right,” Charlie said as Irene came over to take their order. “I’ll have the carrot cake and a latte please and the chocolate cake and strawberry milkshake for Connor.”

Irene gave the boy a smile as she wrote down the order. “And for you?” Irene said as she looked up to Brax.

“A cappuccino and what’s this red jelly fruit cake thing Connor spoke of?” Brax asked and Irene gave Connor an amused grin before looking back to Brax.

“It’s a strawberry tart.” Irene answered.

“Yeah, okay, I’ll take one of them.” Brax ordered and Irene wrote it down.

“Irene did you know that Darryl is my mummy’s new boyfriend boyfriend?” Connor questioned as he looked up at her.

“Uhm, no,” Irene shook her head. “I didn’t know that.”

“Well he is,” Connor smiled, happy at the news. “But he isn’t sleeping over yet.”

Irene looked up to Charlie and noticed she had gone red in embarrassment. “Well that’s probably for the best. Don’t want to rush into anything,” Irene gave Charlie a smile which she returned. “And will I be seeing you at Rachel’s tonight?”

“Uhm, yeah,” Charlie nodded her head. “I’ll be there for a little while.”

“Ah that’s good,” Irene smiled. “Apparently Rachel had some big news for all of us,” Irene said. “Anyways I’ll go and get your order ready.” Irene walked off to the counter, to prepare their order. Charlie exhaled lightly, fearing she already knew this big news that Rachel was keen to share.

Everyone was gathered around the chairs, couch, and some people were on the dining room chairs, in Rachel’s living room, the wine glasses in their hands, the chips and dip on the table. “Oh well it is nice to have a night like this. We haven’t done one in so long.” Marilyn smiled before taking a drink of her wine.

“Maybe we should start a woman’s club and meet once a week.” Colleen suggested.

“Oh I think we are all a little to busy to do this every week,” Roo informed her auntie. “Maybe it would be better to say once a month we can try to get together for a bit of girly time.”

“Sounds like a nice idea,” Irene smiled before looking to Rachel and noticed she was only drinking juice. “You not drinking wine Rachel?” Irene questioned.

“Eh, no,” Rachel shook her head. “I’m going to be off the alcohol for a while actually.”

“Oh my gosh are you….” Roo gasped as she pointed to her stomach.

“Oh my, well isn’t that great,” Colleen squawked. “I knew if you two just kept trying for long enough, you’d -”

“Well no, I’m not pregnant.” Rachel shook her head. “But I am having a baby.”

“Well how does that work?” Marilyn questioned confused.

“I’m adopting.” Rachel beamed before giving Charlie a glance. Charlie sat back in the chair as she ran her hand up and down the stem of the wine glass. Bianca exhaled as she looked from Charlie to Rachel. Did Rachel – knowing how Charlie felt - really need to announce it in front of her?

“Oh of course,” Marilyn nodded. “Silly me.”

“So, you’re not drinking to support the birth mother then?” Roo questioned and Rachel nodded.

“Sorry, I’m going for some air.” Charlie stood up from the chair and went to walk out of the door.

“But you’ll miss all the details.” Roo said.

“I already know them all, it’s fine.” Charlie mumbled before walking out of the door and out onto the porch. She lay the wine down on the wall and took a deep breath as she felt a hand go onto her shoulder. She turned around expecting to find Bianca there for her, but was surprised to see it was Marilyn standing before her.

“You’re thinking about Lily, aren’t you?” Marilyn questioned. “When I lost my Bryon I was the same. For years I’d hate seeing friends pregnant, even women with babies. I kept asking myself why do they get to have children when I lost my boy and I -”

“It’s not just about that,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s…the baby she is adopting.”

“Oh,” Marilyn looked confused. “I eh -”

“It’s Ruby’s baby,” Charlie answered and she saw the shock appear on Marilyn’s face. “I don’t like that she wants to give it up. I know how hard it is to watch someone else bring up your child and I think she’s making the wrong choice.”

“Oh, I didn’t know Ruby was pregnant.” Marilyn said, sounding shocked.

“She’s not really told anyone yet. Only me, Bianca, Brax and Romeo know. And of course Tony and Rachel.”

Marilyn screwed her face up, confused as to why Brax would know. “And the father, I guess it was that Lee boy who wasn’t very nice to young Ruby?”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “I know if she got pregnant by Romeo she would keep it and they’d raise it together, but because it’s Lee’s she can’t….she doesn’t want anything to do with it.” Marilyn gave Charlie a sympathetic smile as she rubbed her arm. “And I have to support Ruby even though I hate what she’s doing,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “It’s hard.”

“I imagine it would be.” Marilyn answered as the door opened and Rachel walked out. Marilyn pursed her lips together before walking back into the house, leaving the two friends to talk.

“If you’re really against this then maybe it’s for the best that Tony and I pull out of this adoption.” Rachel said sadly.

“I couldn’t let that happen,” Charlie shook her head. “Ruby would only go and find someone else. And I’d hate myself if you didn’t get your dream of a child of your own.”

“You’d just rather I didn’t take your grandchild.” Rachel spoke softly and quietly as she looked away from Charlie.

“Yeah, If I am honest,” Charlie answered. “But I know you’ll be great with the baby and it’s going to have a great life, but knowing that I’m going to lose this grandchild from my life, it feels like I’m slowly loosing Lily all over again.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she felt a tear fall from her cheek. “I think this is just happening to soon after Lily and I don’t know how to deal with it.”

“I’m sorry,” Rachel stepped forward and rubbed Charlie’s arm in comfort. “You just need to give yourself time.” Rachel told her friend.

“Time is no great healer,” Charlie shook her head. “I think about Lily everyday and I worry that once this baby gets taken from my life, I’m going to fall back into that bad place again, after I just lost Lily and I know that this wont be the same, this isn’t my child and it definitely isn’t Lily, but it’s my baby’s baby and thinking about Ruby giving her up just breaks my heart.”

“She’s going to a good home,” Rachel said. “Not that I’m trying to big myself up or anything but we’ll take amazing care of this precious gift that we are getting.”

“I know you will,” Charlie exhaled. “It’s just hard. You’re my friends and I really do want to be happy for you guys, but it’s so hard when I’m going to need to watch Ruby give her child up.”

“I know, but you are so strong that you will be able to get passed this and help Ruby through it too,” Rachel smiled. “You need time to get used to the idea.”

“Yeah, sure,” Charlie exhaled as she picked up her wine and took a drink. “I don’t think it’s the best idea me staying here tonight to I’m going to go home.” Charlie said before handing Rachel the glass and walking off into the night.

Thank you so much caroline77, beebee, Sarah and Spotd1 :wub:

This chapter skips forward two months in time.

Chapter 60

Ruby exhaled lightly as she walked into the kitchen. “Thanks mate, very much appreciate that, and we’ll see you soon…..yeah, give my love to Martha….yep, bye,” Tony smiled as he hung up the phone. “Hey Rubes,” Tony smiled as he lay the phone down on the kitchen table, before looking back down at the laptop screen. “You all set to go?”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled lightly as she walked across to the table and picked up a banana from the fruit bowl, looking down to the laptop screen to see details of a house. “What’s this?”

“Oh it’s a house we are looking at in Boston,” Tony smiled as he moved the laptop so Ruby had better view of the place. She scanned the document to see they were looking at a 4 bed roomed, 2 bathroom house, with a double garage and a swimming pool out in the back garden. “Just off the phone with Jack and he is going to go and check out the neighbourhood for us, see if he thinks we will like the house, it’s location, things like that.”

“Nice,” Ruby smiled as she rubbed her stomach, feeling the baby kicking. “So you’re dead set on this move then?” Ruby questioned before taking a bite of the banana.

“Yeah,” Tony nodded. “I’ve actually got an interview set up via Skype about a personal trainer job in a gym.”

“Oh wow, so when would that job start?” Ruby questioned. “You know the baby isn’t coming till September then you have the 6 week wait after it’s born before you can leave the country.”

“I know,” Tony nodded. “It’s for a new gym that’s still being built. It’s set to open in September if all goes to plan, but hopefully they will like me enough to wait that extra 6 weeks.”

“I see. Well good luck for that then,” Ruby gave a weak smile. “Anyways, we should probably head off to the hospital for this scan.”

“Yeah,” Tony nodded as he shut the laptop down before grabbing his car keys and walking out the house with Ruby waddling behind him. They got into the car and Tony made the drive to the hospital where they were meeting Rachel and going to have the 20 week scan, and going to find out the sex of the baby. “So, have you told your mum we are moving to Boston?” Tony questioned as he continued to drive along the road.

“Not yet,” Ruby exhaled. “I guess I should do really. I might tell her this afternoon when I go around for a visit.”

“Sorry if this is making it harder for you and her to fix things,” Tony sighed. “The last thing we wanted to do was come between you. We just want a child together.”

“I know, and Charlie knows that too,” Ruby answered. “And we’re fine, it’s still not perfect but it was always going to take time to resolve,” Ruby exhaled as she felt herself once again rubbing her stomach, loving the feeling of the child kicking. “So you’re finding out the sex today, right?”

“Yeah,” Tony smiled. “I’d be happy with either, but I’m secretly hoping for a daughter,” Tony answered, as he indicated to the right before slipping out onto the road. “I have two sons already so a daughter would be perfect and she’d be so spoilt by her big brothers,” Tony smiled and Ruby looked at him to see he was deliriously happy at the thought of another child, and more specifically a daughter. “Although don’t get my wrong I’d be just as pleased with boy. And I know how to do boys already so maybe it would be easier if it was another boy,” Tony gave a small laugh. “Footie, boxing and mud pies I can do, but ballet, ponytails and fairy cakes…” Tony trailed off as he once again gave a small laugh.

“You could get a girl who is all about footie, boxing and mud pies,” Ruby replied. “Maybe even a ballet doing fairy cake eating boy.”

“Could do,” Tony laughed as he pulled up into the car park of the hospital and they walked out of the car and over to the doors, where Rachel was waiting on them. “Hey,” Tony gave her a soft kiss. “How’s work going?”

“It’s one of those days where you’re best not to ask,” Rachel shook her head as they walked into the hospital and down the corridor to the maternity ward. “How are you feeling Rubes?”

“Great,” Ruby smiled. “Baby is very active this moring.”

“Well that’s great,” Rachel smiled as she put her hand on Ruby’s stomach. “Isn’t it bubba, we want you to be nice and active.” Rachel cooed and Ruby smiled as she saw the look of pure joy on her face. She knew she was making the right choice, when she saw just how happy she was making them both.

“Ruby Buckton,” The technician said as she appeared out of the room and Ruby, Tony and Rachel walked into the room, Ruby taking her place on the bed as Tony and Rachel stood beside her. “So how we feeling today?” The technician asked as she prepared everything for the scan.

“Great,” Ruby replied. “Apart from feeling the baby move sometimes, and the obvious bump, I wouldn’t know I was pregnant,” Ruby answered. “I’ve had no sickness, headaches, backache….it’s been a pretty straightforward and easy pregnancy so far.”

“Wow, lucky you,” The technician smiled. “Hopefully the last four months go just as easy.”

“Yeah.” Ruby gave a smile as the technician started the scan.

“So, mummy and daddy,” She smiled up at Tony and Rachel. “Are we finding out the sex?”

“Yeah,” Rachel answered. “We’d love to know.”

“Okay,” The technician gave Rachel a smile, before looking back down at the screen, and going to that area. “It’s a little girl, congratulations.”

“A little girl,” Tony gushed as he put his hand over his chest. “We are having a little girl.”

Rachel smiled as a tear rolled down her cheek. Although this felt real to her, hearing what the baby was going to be made it feel even more real. “A daughter. I’m going to have a daughter.” Ruby smiled as she looked up to Tony and Rachel who shared a hug at this precious moment, while the technician got on with the rest of the scan.

Charlie and Brax were walking along the beach, hand in hand. Over the last two months, Charlie and Brax had spend most of their time together, and Brax was loving every second of his new relationship. As Brax was walking along the beach, listening as he heard the water lap gently against the rocks, as the sun made the water look even bluer than it actually was, as he heard the sounds of the birds gently tweeting, he couldn’t think of a better place to say those three little words to her for the first time. He took a deep breath before stopping walking, and turned to face Charlie, smiling as he tucked her long flowing locks behind her ear, and cupping her cheek in his hand. His smile grew larger as he looked into her sparkling blue eyes, before he leaned forward a placed a soft kiss on her lips. “Mmm that was nice.” Charlie smiled as she pulled back and looked up to him.

“It was,” Brax smiled. “Maybe we could do it again.” Brax raised his eyebrows suggestively, before he placed another soft kiss on her lips, this one becoming slightly more passionate as he pulled her frame even closer to him, so their bodies were pressed together. He ran his hands down her back, resting them on her bum cheeks, as she rested hers around his neck. Brax smiled into the kiss before sticking his tongue into her mouth and going to move his hand down her skirt.

Charlie cleared her throat as she pulled back. “I think we should keep the public displays of affection PG.”

“Well maybe we could go back to your place and turn it R rated,” Brax smiled as he looked at Charlie suggestively.

Charlie pursed her lips together. Although these last two months with Brax had been amazing, she was yet to tell him about Grant, therefore, she felt she couldn’t have a sexual relationship with him. She needed to be sure that she trusted him, both enough to tell him what had happened with Grant, and to be able to have intimate relations with him. “I’m sorry,” Charlie shook her head. “I eh…” Charlie paused as she looked down to her watch. “Connor will be getting picked up from school soon, I think -”

“Charlie,” Brax exhaled, feeling frustrated. “Connor doesn’t need picked up for another 2 hours,” Brax sighed. “What’s wrong? Why don’t you want to sleep with me?”

“I…” Charlie trailed off.

“I mean it’s not as if you are some teenage virgin,” Brax exhaled. “I get the impression you are pretty keen on me and I want to take this relationship to the next level, but if you don’t then please tell me now because I don’t want to be mucked about.”

“I’m sorry, I -”

Brax huffed. “This is about Angelo isn’t it?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I want to sleep with you, but I….” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I need to know that I fully trust you before I can, because -”

“You can trust me, Charlie. I love you so much okay, I’m not going to just sleep with you and just leave you once we’ve done it the once.”

“What did you just say?” Charlie questioned, shocked at what she had heard.

“I’m not going to sleep with you and -”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “Before that. The part about loving me.” Charlie spoke quietly as she looked to Brax, unsure.

“Oh,” Brax scratched the back of his head. It wasn’t the way he had expected it go, but it just came out as he was talking. “I love you, because I do, babe, you are amazing and I love being with you, and I love spending time with Connor….I….I love you.”

Charlie felt a smile forming on her face. “I eh…I love you too.”

Brax grinned as he took Charlie’s hands in his. “So then if you love me, you should be able to trust me, right?”

Charlie pursed her lips together and she gave a little nod. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Charlie,” Brax exhaled. “You know you can talk to me about anything, right? If something is bothering you or if -”

“I know I can,” Charlie cut Brax off. “But this is so hard to say and the last person I told this too I thought would be with me forever but he left me and I have to trust that you are going to be longer than just a fling.”

“I don’t plan on going anywhere any time soon.” Brax said softly as he gave her hand a gentle rub. Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked into his eyes. They were trusting eyes and she knew that he would never hurt her like Grant did.

“Okay,” Charlie took a deep breath. “I eh….I’m ready to tell you, but not here,” Charlie shook her head. “Let’s go back to my place.” Brax gave a gentle nod as he linked his hand with hers and they walked off the beach together, heading for Charlie’s house.

Archived