Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Thank you so much Sarah, beebee, RoRo90, soph1303 and Spotd1. :wub: It means alot that you leave me a comment, so thank you!!

Chapter 21

Charlie was sitting in the hospital, her leg shaking as she waited on news on her daughter. “Why did the man do this to you two?” Connor questioned.

“He was a bad man,” Charlie answered. “He liked to hurt Ruby.”

“Why?” Connor questioned. “It’s not nice to hurt people.”

“I know.” Charlie nodded.

“Is he not going to hurt her again or you mummy?” Connor questioned as he looked up to her, his eyes all wide as he saw Charlie’s black eye and cut lip properly for the first time.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “He can’t hurt her anymore.”

“Is he back at his house?” Connor questioned. “Is that why he can’t hurt her no more?”

“Not quiet,” Charlie shook her head not really knowing what to tell her son. She couldn’t exactly tell him that she shot him dead, but she knew he needed to be told something to stop him asking questions. “He eh....he’s somewhere where he can’t hurt any of us anymore, okay?”

Connor nodded lightly as Georgie and Brax walked down the corridor and stopped in front of Charlie. After talking with Charlie about what had happened she wanted to talk to Brax, although he wasn’t there so he couldn’t really tell her much. “Charlie, I eh....I’m going to need to take you down to the station.” Charlie nodded lightly, knowing the procedure to well.

“Does it need to be right now?” Charlie questioned. “I don’t even know how Ruby is yet. I will come down, Georgie, I know I need too, but please just wait until I know how Rubes is.”

“I’m sorry,” Georgie shook her head. “Orders from Inspector Joyce. It needs to be now and eh....you might want to find someone to watch the little one tonight.”

Charlie nodded lightly as she stood up from the chair and gave Brax a glance. “I’ll come to the station as soon as I know and let you know.”

“Thanks, eh....can you take Connor to Bianca’s for me?” Charlie questioned. “Explain a bit about what happened?”

“Of course.” Brax nodded as Connor jumped down from the seat and took hold of Charlie’s hand.

“Is I coming with you mummy?” Connor questioned.

“No, squirt,” Charlie shook her head lightly as she bent down to her sons level. “Mummy needs to go down to the station for while so I need you to stay with Auntie Bee-Bee tonight, okay?”

“Just for the night?” Connor questioned. Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked up to Georgie who shrugged her shoulders.

“I’m not sure sweetie.” Charlie shook her head.

“Well can I go home first to get my DS and Darryl the lion?” Connor questioned.

“Sure you can.” Charlie smiled lightly as she cupped her son’s cheek with her hand.

“And can I take my pj’s with the soccer balls on?” Connor questioned.

“Of course,” Charlie tried her hardest not to let a tear fall, but one managed to escape her down her cheek. “And remember to take your school bag and Bee will take you to school in the morning okay.”

“And you will pick me up?” Connor questioned as he wiped the tear from Charlie’s cheek.

“Hopefully,” Charlie answered. “But it might be Bee-Bee or someone else, okay?”

“Do you have a lot of work to do at the station?” Connor questioned. Charlie exhaled lightly as she rubbed her son’s cheek.

“Not quiet,” Charlie shook her head. “But mummy promises to be back as quickly as she can.”

“Okay,” Connor nodded. “Love you mummy.”

“I love you too squirt.” Charlie smiled as she pulled her son into a hug. Brax and Georgie exchanged a glance as the mother and son stood in the embrace, both of them hoping that the mother and son wouldn’t be split up for too long.

Ruby opened her eyes to see Romeo smiling down at her. “Romeo,” Ruby said surprised. “What are you doing here?” Ruby questioned as she slid herself up in bed wincing slightly.

“I thought you having a visitor would be nice,” Romeo smiled. “So here I am. I brought you a smoothie from the surf club so, looks like we are having our drink sooner than expected.” Romeo smiled as he held the drinks up. “Strawberry banana or orange mango?”

“Eh....strawberry banana,” Ruby said and Romeo smiled as he handed her the drink. “So, you do know you look like a panda right?”

“I guess I should be lucky two black eyes and knock to the head is all I got. He was really really angry,” Ruby said. “He hurt Charlie too though,” Ruby exhaled. “She was trying to protect me. Still, after everything that’s gone on between us she...” Ruby trailed off. “Where is Charlie?” Ruby questioned. “I thought she would have been here with me when I woke up.”

“Eh...Rubes, Charlie.....” Romeo trailed off not really wanting to tell her. “Charlie’s at the station. After you got knocked out...Lee had a gun,” Romeo took a deep breath before continuing. “He was going to shoot you. Charlie fought with him and he’s dead....she shot him dead.”

Ruby spilt her smoothie on the bed sheets as she covered her mouth in shock. “He’s ehm...he what?” Ruby questioned.

“He’s dead, Rubes. He’s not going to be able to hurt you anymore.”

“But Charlie can’t....she can’t.....they can’t arrest her. They can’t put her away for this. He was abusive....he was hurting me and her. He was hurting her.” Ruby rambled. “It was self-defence right? It was in self-defence. Or I mean she was protecting me, she can’t go to jail.” Ruby’s voice broke as tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Hopefully it doesn’t come to that,” Romeo shook his head. “But they need to talk to her about what happened and stuff so it does make sense that she’s down there.”

“But she can’t go to jail because of me,” Ruby cried. “Connor needs her. She can’t Romeo. She can’t go to jail.” Ruby broke down into tears and he stood up from the chair and leaned forward, wincing as his ribs hurt, but he breathed through the pain and pulled Ruby into a hug, gently running his hand through her hair.

“It probably won’t come to that,” Romeo shook his head. “As you said it was in self-defence.”

“I need to go and talk to her,” Ruby said as tried to get out of the bed.

“Ruby you can’t,” Romeo shook his head. “You need to say in the hospital.”

“But Charlie needs me,” Ruby cried as she wiped tears from her cheeks.

“Yeah and as soon as you are allowed to leave here you can go talk to Charlie, but she wouldn’t want you leaving here when you’re not supposed too, would she?” Romeo questioned. “You had a bad bang to the head. You were knocked out for 3 hours. She’d want you to stay here until the doctors told you that you were fine to go.”

Ruby nodded lightly at what Romeo was saying. She knew Charlie would want her to stay in the hospital until the doctors gave her the all clear to go. “Well can....can you stay with me a little longer?” Ruby questioned.

“Of course I can,” Romeo smiled. “I’ll just go see if I can find someone to clean up that spill,” Romeo said as he pointed to the smoothie that was all over the bed sheet. “Romeo...” Ruby said as he was about to walk out of the door. “Do you know if the baby....I didn’t lose it, did I?”

Romeo shook his head. “I don’t know. Sid wouldn’t tell me as I’m not family, but I’ll try and find him so you can know.” Romeo said before he left the room and Ruby pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek as she lightly rubbed her stomach.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone. :wub:

Chapter 22

“Mummy,” Connor shouted excitedly as he ran across the living room and jumped up into her arms.

“Hey squirt,” Charlie smiled as she held her son close to her. “Mummy missed you.”

“I missed you more.” Connor said.

“I miss you most.” Charlie smiled as she sat down on the couch with Connor taking a place on her knee.

“I missed you mostest.” Connor grinned.

“Ahh you’ve beat me,” Charlie smiled down at her son as he giggled. “So, I hope you were good for Bee-Bee?”

“Yeah, I was ay Bee-Bee?” Connor said as he looked up at Bianca.

“Of course, good as gold as always.” Bianca smiled. “Why don’t you go up the stairs and get the pictures you drew at school today and show your mummy how good they are? And bring your stuff down so you can go home with mummy.”

“Yeah, I’ll get them,” Connor nodded as he jumped from Charlie’s knee and made his way over to the stairs. “I’ll be right back.”

“So, I guess it’s a good thing you’re out?” Bianca questioned.

“I don’t know.” Charlie shook her head. “Inspection Joyce and my superiors need to discuss what’s going to happen, but for now I get to be with Connor.”

“So things carry on like normal?” Bianca questioned.

“Not quiet,” Charlie bit her lip. “I got suspended.”

“For how long?” Bianca questioned.

“I don’t know,” Charlie shook her head. “Until they make a decision on if I am going to jail or not I guess.”

“Surely it won’t come to that?” Bianca questioned. “I mean the guy was abusive, Ruby is in hospital, look at what he did to you.” Bianca said, referring to her black eye and the cut on her lip.

“Yeah but it just depends how they see it,” Charlie sighed. “I still killed the guy.”

“But you were protecting your daughter and yourself from getting hurt, surely they can’t put you away.” Bianca moved over to the couch so she was sitting next to Charlie.

Charlie shook her head as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Bianca if I do...can you...can you raise Connor for me?”

“Hey it’s not going to come to that.” Bianca wrapped her arms around Charlie in a comforting manner.

“Please, I need to know if I go down that he’s going to have someone. Because it’s not looking likely that he’s going to have Angelo here for him.”

“Of course I will Charlie,” Bianca nodded. “God, you look so tired.”

Charlie sniggered. “I didn’t sleep at all last night. Every time I closed my eyes I saw Lee beating into Ruby or I saw Connor and....” Charlie trailed off as she took a deep breath.

“Do you want to go for a lie down?” Bianca questioned. “I’ll keep an eye on Connor for a bit longer and you can go up to my bed?”

“No, thanks but no,” Charlie shook her head. “I need to go to the hospital to see Ruby.”

“Of course,” Bianca said softly. “Do you know how she is?”

Charlie shook her head. “No. Brax came to the station to tell me but Joyce wouldn’t let him see me and I guess if he was given a message he didn’t pass it on to me.”

“Oh, well Romeo went to see her last night. He said she woke up after about 3 hours and apart from having a bit of a sore head and panda eyes, she was fine.”

Charlie breathed a sigh of relief. “I guess the whole town is talking about me now though.”

“As far as I’m aware it’s only me, Brax, Romeo, Dex and April who know. Dex and Romeo were around here hanging out with April last night when Brax brought Connor around.”

“Ah,” Charlie nodded. “It’s going to get out though isn’t it? “ Charlie questioned.

“Probably but most people are going to support you in this so you don’t need to be worried.” Bianca told her friend. “And Brax just happened to be around did he?” Bianca raised her eyebrows as she nudged Charlie’s arm.

“Connor ran to get help and found Brax in the surf club,” Charlie explained. “And don’t get any ideas like that. Brax and I are just friends.”

“Hmm Connor tells me that Brax has been around a bit lately. Helping with homework, he found him in the bush, he said he looked after him one time -”

“What’s your point Bianca?” Charlie snapped. “There’s nothing going on between me and Brax. We’re just friends and I’m still married in case you haven’t noticed.”

“Well separated.” Bianca said.

“Yeah but,” Charlie paused. “Look I don’t know why we are having this conversation. Nothing is going to happen with me and Brax. Cant a guy and a girl just be friends without everyone assuming we are going to get together?”

“I guess you can.” Bianca nodded. Just as she was about to talk again, Connor came bounding back down the stairs and over to the couch. He threw his school bag and overnight bag down onto the floor before he climbed up onto Charlie’s knee, as he held his pictures in his hands.

“Hey squirt what have you got here?” Charlie questioned as she put her hand onto the picture.

“This is you and that is me and that is Darryl and that is Darryl the lion.” Connor smiled as Charlie looked at the picture. “And then this one I drewed for Ruby,” Connor said as he put the first picture down on the couch and looked down at the second. “This is Ruby and me on the beach,” Connor smiled. “Maybe we can go when she is better.”

“I’m sure she’d like that,” Charlie smiled. “Hey how about you take your stuff out and put them in the car and mummy will be right out behind you and we’ll go see Rubes okay.”

“Okay.” Connor jumped down from her knee and picked up all of his things before Charlie handed him the car keys and he ran out of the house.

“Does he know Ruby is his sister?” Bianca questioned as they stood up from the couch.

“Not yet,” Charlie shook her head. “He thinks she’s just someone I know. I guess we need to tell him at one point who she really is. Or well maybe not. I guess it depends how things go with us.”

“You two are going to sort things,” Bianca smiled. “It might take some time, but you’ll get there.”

“I hope so,” Charlie smiled before she gave her friend a hug. “Thanks so much for last night and I’ll see you soon.”

“No problem, see you later.” Bianca smiled as she stood in the doorway and watched as Charlie left with her son, and only hoped that for Charlie’s sake as well as Connor’s she wouldn’t be getting sent off to jail.

Charlie and Connor walked into the room to see Rachel was in talking with Ruby. She looked up to Charlie for a moment before looking back down to Ruby. “Well I best get back to work,” Rachel said. “I’ll see you later.” Rachel smiled before she left the room. Charlie looked in Rachel’s direction before looking back to Ruby as Connor climbed up on the bedside chair.

“What did she want?” Charlie questioned as she lifted Connor up and sat down on the chair before placing him back down on her knee.

“She was making sure I was okay,” Ruby answered. “I am giving her this child so I think she’s entitled to be worried when I end up in hospital after being beaten up by my crazy boyfriend.” Ruby said as she kept her hand on her stomach.

“What does you mean Ruby?” Connor questioned.

“Well I have a baby in my tummy but I’m going to give it to Tony and Rachel.”

“Why?” Connor questioned. “It your baby. It should be with you.”

“I don’t want a baby right now, so because Tony and Rachel can’t have babies of their own I am going to give them this baby.” Ruby explained.

“I don’t get it.” Connor turned his head to face Charlie.

“Hmm, mummy doesn’t either.” Charlie mumbled but not quietly enough for Ruby not to hear. She was about to reply when she decided that this probably wasn’t the time to argue about the baby, considering where Ruby was and what Charlie had just done for her.

“So eh...what’s that you’ve got there?” Ruby smiled as she looked to the drawing and the little teddy in his hands.

“Well I drewed this for you at school today,” Connor smiled as he handed her the picture.

“Ah wow, thanks for that,” Ruby smiled. “It’s really good.”

“Yeah,” Connor grinned shyly. “And I bought you this.” Connor smiled as he handed her the little tan coloured bear with a red bow with white dots on tied around its neck.

“You did?” Ruby questioned.

“Well no,” Connor shook his head. “Mummy bought it.”

“Well thank you very much,” Ruby smiled as she took the bear in her hand. “It’s lovely.”

“It will make you feel better like my lion Darryl did.” Connor nodded.

“Yeah, I feel better already.” Ruby smiled as the door opened and Romeo walked into the room.

“Oh sorry, you have company. I’ll eh go to the canteen, grab something to eat.”

Charlie smiled as she saw the look between Ruby and Romeo. “It’s alright,” Ruby smiled. “Maybe if you don’t mind you could take Connor for a juice or something?” Ruby questioned.

“No Ruby, I stay with mummy.” Connor said.

“Well Ruby and mummy want to talk about boring grown up things so I thought maybe you would like to go for a drink with Romeo.” Ruby explained.

“Oh...can we talk about soccer?” Connor questioned as he jumped down from Charlie’s knee.

“We sure can.” Romeo laughed.

“Here,” Charlie said as she handed Romeo $20. Get yours on that too.”

“Oh no no it’s fine.” Romeo shook his head.

“I insist.” Charlie said as she handed Romeo the note.

“Thank you.” Romeo gave her a thankful smile before he and Connor left the room.

“You don’t have to keep that teddy,” Charlie shook her head as she looked back to Ruby. “Connor insisted I had to buy you it but -”

“I really do like it,” Ruby smiled. “But maybe I’m just a big kid.”

Charlie smiled lightly before she took a deep breath. “So eh, has anyone told you about Lee?”

“Romeo told me what you did,” Ruby nodded. “I don’t know what to say. You eh...” Ruby trailed off as she felt herself tearing up. “I can’t thank you enough for ending this for me.”

“I just did what I could to ensure that he didn’t harm you,” Charlie told her. “I eh...you were in danger and I would do anything if it mean saving your life.”

“Even face jail?” Ruby questioned. “What if you down for this? I don’t want you throwing your life away for me. Connor needs you and I’ve been nothing but horrible to you these past two years and you still did this for me. I don’t understand what I did to deserve you.” Ruby cried.

“You’re my daughter Ruby. I love you unconditionally. No matter what has gone on with us, I love you and I always will and I’ll always do whatever I can to protect you.”

“But to face jail?” Ruby questioned.

“Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.” Charlie said. “I don’t think it will. Inspector Joyce seems to think it was in self-defence, but it also depends on what the rest of my superiors think.”

“Could you lose your job?” Ruby asked.

“Suspension definitely, but I won’t lose my job.” Charlie shook her head.

“I’m so sorry,” Ruby cried. “I’m really really sorry.”

Charlie stood up from the chair and pulled her daughter into a hug. “It’s alright,” Charlie said as she rubbed her back. “Everything will be alright.” Charlie placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s head as she stayed standing in the embrace.

Thank you all so much. :wub: Just because you leave such lovely comments, here is another. :P

Chapter 23

Charlie cuddled into Angelo. It was a Sunday, and often was a lazy day in the Rosetta household, if Connor didn’t have soccer, that was. She rested her head against his chest as her hand was on his arm. “I’m glad you have the day off today,” Charlie smiled. “A whole day of vegging out with you and the kids.”

“Sounds great.” Angelo smiled as the bedroom door opened and Connor came running into the room, a big smile on his face as he jumped up onto his parents bed.

“Morning,” Connor smiled. “What we do today?”

“Nothing.” Charlie answered.

“Nothing all at?” Connor questioned. “Mummy that is lazy.”

Angelo laughed at his sons comment as he sat up in the bed. “Well what would you like to do?”

“Uhm...the park.” Connor nodded his head excitedly. “We feed the ducks.”

“Sounds like fun,” Charlie smiled, just before the cries of her daughter could be heard. She got out of the bed and walked along to her daughters room, and stuck her head in the cot. “Hey baby,” Charlie cooed as she looked down to her daughter. As Lily saw Charlie hers tears stopped and she kicked her legs and waved her arms in excitement as a smile appeared on her face. “Ah that’s a lovely smile for mummy,” Charlie said as she lifted her daughter up into her arms. She placed a soft kiss on her forehead as she looked down at her, Lily staring up at her, her big blue eyes finding her mothers. “You remind me so much of your sister,” Charlie mumbled as she walked over to the changing table and unbuttoned her baby grow and began to change her nappy. Charlie heard gurgles coming from Lily as she wiped her, and smiled lightly. “Are you telling mummy a story?” Charlie questioned as she lightly pushed her finger on Lily’s little button nose. “It’s a very good one,” Charlie smiled as she fasted the clean nappy to her daughter before buttoning up her baby grow and lifting her up to her arms, once again placing a kiss on her head. She walked back through to her bedroom and climbed back up onto the bed, and sat back down next to Angelo as she lay Lily down on the bed so she was smiling up at her parents. Charlie lightly ticked her stomach which led her to giggle.

“She’s funny.” Connor giggled as he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

Charlie smiled as she felt Angelo wrapping her arm around her and placing a soft kiss on her temple. “I love this.” Angelo said softly.

“Me too,” Charlie smiled. “And I love you.” Charlie said as she turned her head to face him.

“I love you too.” Angelo said. “And I love Connor and I love Lily.” Angelo smiled as he lightly tickled Lily’s stomach which one again provided a giggle.

Charlie turned around in the bed as she opened her eyes. She smiled lightly as she saw Connor lying next to her, cuddling Darryl the lion close to him. She exhaled lightly as she got out the bed. She always had those dreams. The dreams of when her life was good, when she was happy with Angelo and their kids. They weren’t dreams really, more like memories of her past, but Charlie appreciated them, because they made sure she would always remember her. She walked to Connors room and opened the door to see Ruby was still asleep. She’d been staying with Charlie since she got out of the hospital a few days before hand, and because it was a Saturday anyways, Charlie decided to leave both of them to sleep. She walked further down the hall and opened the door to Lily’s bedroom. Taking a deep breath she waked into the room and over to the wardrobe, and picked out a little white dress, with yellow flowers around the bottom. She brought it up to her face and smelt it as a tear fell down her cheek. “I miss you so much Lily,” Charlie said sadly. “And you have to know this isn’t because mummy wants to forget you, but she just feels it’s time. For me, I have to move on and this is the next thing I need to do.” Charlie jumped slightly as there was a soft knock on the door. She turned her head to see Ruby standing there.

“You okay?” Ruby questioned. Charlie nodded lightly as she wiped a tear from her eye.

“Fine,” Charlie answered trying to be as strong as she could. “Do you want me to fix you up some breakfast?”

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “You just do whatever you need to in here. I can get my own breakfast.”

“I eh....I need to make more room in the house. If you are going to stay with me permanently then you’ll need to get out of Connors room because he can’t stay in with me forever and Morag’s coming next week and she normal stays in Connors room so I need to make this room a room for you and -”

“Oh no Charlie,” Ruby shook her head. “If there is no room here I will go back to Rachel’s. You don’t need to get rid of Lily’s stuff right now.”

“But I do,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Because she’s not coming back. I can’t keep this room as it is forever. I need to move on and I think if I was to let go of this room...” Charlie trailed off. “She’s been gone for almost 9 months. I have too.....I need to do this.”

“You don’t -” Ruby shook her head.

“Yes, I do.” Charlie sighed. “It’s time.”

“Okay, well is there anything that you want me to do?” Ruby asked as she cautiously took a few steps into the room and closer to her mother.

“Could you eh...can you take Connor out for the day so I can get this done?” Charlie questioned.

“Of course I can,” Ruby smiled. “You sure you’ll be ok here yourself though?”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled weakly as she looked around the room. “I’ll be fine.”

The tears rolled down Charlie’s cheeks as she put the last of her daughter’s clothes away into the box. She ran her hand over the box before taking a deep breath and closing the flaps shut, and picking up the sticky-tape and taping it shut. She stood to her feet and walked over to the cot, and ran her hand over the pink checked cover. She picked it up and folded it into a small square, before laying it with a small pile of clothes that Charlie wanted to keep. The little white baby grow with purple and lilac polka dots that she wore on the day she came back from the hospital, the little green combats and white t-shirt with a little bunny on it, and the little white dress with the yellow flowers on that she’d first picked up early that day. She wiped her hand over her face, as if to push back more tears that wanted to fall, before she took the clothes, along with a little pink rabbit teddy - that Connor had brought to the hospital on the day that she was born - into her bedroom and lay them down on the bed as she got onto her knees and pulled a box out from underneath it. Lifting it up and laying it on her bed, she slowly took the lid off, and lifted up a photo of Lily with Connor. She smiled lightly as she ran her hand over it, fondly remembering the time she had with her. She jumped slightly as the doorbell rang and she wiped her face once again before she ran down the stairs and opened the door. “Brax,” Charlie tried to compose herself. “What can I do for you?”

“I eh....are you okay?” Brax questioned.

“Fine, I eh....I’m just sorting something.” Charlie answered. “What did you want?”

“Madagascar 3 is on at 2.30,” Brax smiled lightly. “I thought maybe I could take you and Connor.”

“He’d love that,” Charlie smiled weakly. “But we can’t today. He’s out with Ruby and I’m busy so...”

“Okay no worries, maybe I should have just called you,” Brax laughed lightly. “Sorry to have bothered you.”

“It’s fine,” Charlie answered.

“So maybe if you’re not busy next weekend then I could take you then?” Brax questioned as he played with the silver band he wore on his finger, feeling nervous.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I can’t do next weekend. Morag is coming to visit and its Lily’s first birthday so eh...” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “I have plans.”

“Oh, no worries,” Brax said. “Maybe another time.” Brax looked up to Charlie. “I’ll let you get back to what you were doing.” Brax said as he turned to walk away.

“Maybe eh you could actually do something for me?” Charlie questioned and Brax stopped walking and turned back to face her.

“Of course,” Brax nodded. “Anything. What is it?”

“Come in,” Charlie said and Brax stepped into the house and closed the door behind him. He followed Charlie back up the stairs and into Lily’s room. “Think it’s time I did this.” Charlie exhaled.

“If you feel it’s time,” Brax said. “Don’t rush yourself. Sometimes it takes time to do these things.”

“I’ve waited 9 months,” Charlie replied. “I don’t think I’ll ever feel ready to pack all this away like she didn’t exist but I need too.”

“Okay, so what do you want me to do?” Brax questioned, feeling it was best not to push it, and just do what Charlie felt was right.

“The furniture,” Charlie said. “I need it taken away.”

“Sure,” Brax ran his hand over the edge of the cot. “Do you have anywhere in mind for me to put it?”

“The second hand shop in Reefton Lakes,” Charlie replied. “They’re expecting it all. The clothes, the cot, wardrobe, changing table, drawers.....” Charlie paused. “I couldn’t bare it being in the one here so I -”

“I understand.” Brax said. “Do you have any tools here?” Brax questioned. “It’ll be easier to get everything down the stairs and stuff if I disassemble them.”

“Oh eh....I think Angelo might have left some in the garage but I’m not sure.” Charlie shook her head. “Sorry I didn’t think about that.”

“It’s okay.” Brax smiled lightly. “I’ll go and have a look and if there’s nothing there I’ll head home and get mines. Actually, I might just go home and get mines anyways because I’ll need to bring the truck to carry everything anyways as they wont fit in the Ute.”

“If it’s going to be too much trouble -”

“No it’s not,” Brax shook his head. “I don’t mind at all. I’ll be back soon.” Brax said as he made his way out of the room, with Charlie following.

“Okay, just let yourself back in,” Charlie told him. “I’m going to be in my bedroom sorting through a few things.”

“Sure.” Brax said softly before he walked away down the stairs. As Charlie heard the front door closing, she turned and walked back into the bedroom, looking for one last time at the place where so many memories of her daughter lay, but she knew she had to let go of the room and that no matter what became of the bedroom, Lily’s memory would still lie in her heart and her head forever.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 24

Ruby was sitting on the beach, helping Connor as he made sand castles. “I like you being back in our house,” Connor grinned as he looked up at Ruby. “Is you staying forevers?”

“Maybe.” Ruby answered. If she was being honest she would probably want to go back to Rachel’s for a little bit longer, just until her and Charlie were in a slightly better place.

“I hope you do,” Connor smiled. “But you no stay in my bed forevers. I want it back.” Connor said and Ruby laughed lightly.

“No, I won’t be in your bed forever.” Ruby laughed as Romeo walked up the beach, with his surf board in his hand. “Looking good out there.” Ruby smiled.

“Hey Rubes, how are you?” Romeo smiled as he put his board in the sand and leaned next to it.

“I’m okay,” Ruby smiled. “Just chilling out with little squirt here.”

“So I see. You’re making a pretty impressive sandcastle there mate.” Romeo smiled down at Connor.

“Yeah,” Connor giggled. “I’m just going to find some shells.” Connor said as he jumped to his feet and ran off down the beach.

“Don’t go too far.” Ruby shouted out to him.

“I won’t.” Connor replied.

“Practising for when this little one gets here?” Romeo laughed as he pointed down to Ruby’s stomach.

“Not quiet,” Ruby mumbled. “So how are you anyway?” Ruby asked, keen to change the subject from the baby.

“Yeah okay,” Romeo smiled. “That was the first time I tried to surf since I was cracked in the ribs. Pretty painful so I’ll give it more time.” Romeo said as he sat down in the sand next to Ruby.

“I’m sorry,” Ruby bowed her head down sadly. “That’s my fault.”

“Nah,” Romeo shook his head. “I don’t recall you being the one who hit me.”

“My fault he was here though.” Ruby sighed.

“Well he’s not anymore,” Romeo shook his head. “How is Charlie?” Romeo questioned. “Any word on what’s happening yet?”

Ruby shook her head. “Nothing yet. She is still suspended from duty though.”

“It makes sense,” Romeo said. “But I’m sure she’ll be back at work and keeping the town in order soon enough.”

“I hope so.” Ruby smiled weakly as she looked to the side as she heard chanting and cheering coming from a group of surfers who were pushing a teenage boy around.

“Brilliant.” Romeo muttered.

“You know those guys?” Ruby questioned.

“The river boys,” Romeo sighed. “That boy getting pushed around is Casey. He’s such an idiot. Dropped out of school to be a surf bum and get involved in all there illegal activity. That one there in the red and white board shorts, that’s Heath, his older brother. It’s like he has some kind of hold on him. I think he forced him into it.”

“Seem like a lovely bunch...” Ruby raised her eyes.

“Well we wouldn’t miss them if they left that’s for sure,” Romeo replied. “Especially that stupid Heath. He was the reason Indi and I....” Romeo trailed off. “Well I guess the badass river boy just had more appeal than squeaky clean me.” Romeo bowed his head down.

“I’m sorry.” Ruby said.

“Her loss,” Romeo sighed. “At least I tell myself that. Beats being bitter about having your girlfriend cheat on you with one of those low lives.”

“No you don’t sound bitter at all.” Ruby said before she and Romeo both laughed lightly.

“Your mum’s friend, Brax, he tries hard to keep the peace between the river boys and the rest of the town, but the boys don’t help him much with all the stupid things they do.”

“Brax is a river boy?” Ruby questioned.

“No,” Romeo shook his head. “But his brothers are so he feels responsible for them. That’s the reason Angelo hates him too. Thinks because Heath and Casey are like that that he must be as well. If he just gave the guy a chance he’d realise he’s not a bad person at all.”

“Doesn’t seem like Angelo is giving anyone a chance at the moment. He is horrible to his own son.” Ruby said. “Poor kid.”

“He seems to be doing alright though.” Romeo smiled as he saw Connor running back in their direction.

“Ruby look what I found,” Connor smiled excitedly as he showed her the shell. It was almost love heart shaped and was white with small shades of pink running through it. “It looks cool.”

“Yeah it’s really pretty.” Ruby smiled as she looked down to the shell.

“I’m gonna give this one to mummy,” Connor announced. “She’ll like it eh?”

“Yeah, she’ll love it.” Ruby smiled as Connor put the shell into his bag for safe keeping.

Brax put the end of the cot into the truck, before the closed the door and locked it up before walking back into the house and up the stairs and along to Charlie’s bedroom where he knocked on the door softly. After getting no answer he opened the door so see that the room was empty. He walked out of the room and back down the hall to Lily’s room. He walked in to see Charlie standing in the middle of the bare room, her lips pursed together as she tried to hold back tears. “You can cry.” Brax said softly as he pulled her into a hug. Charlie let the tears escape her as she held onto Brax. He lightly rubbed her back in comfort and held her, not saying anything, but just letting her cry the tears that wanted to fall.

“No, I’m sorry,” Charlie said as she pulled back. “You don’t need to see me crying again. It seems it’s all I do around you.”

“It’s alright,” Brax smiled. “Like I say, you’re a friend and I’m happy to be here for you.”

“Can I get you a coffee?” Charlie questioned as she wiped over her eyes.

“Yeah, sure, that’ll be good.” Brax smiled as they left the room and walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. Charlie flicked the kettle on and grabbed two mugs before reaching for the coffee and putting a spoonful in each mug.

“Do you have sugar?” Charlie questioned as she put a spoonful into one of the mugs.

“Nah, I’m sweet enough.” Brax said and Charlie laughed lightly. “Nice to hear that laugh.” Brax smiled.

Charlie bit her lip nervously before giving Brax a smile. “Do eh, you have milk or?”

“Yeah,” Brax nodded as Charlie took the milk from the fridge and poured it into the cups before picking up the just boiled kettle and poured the hot water into the cups and gave them a stir before handing Brax his cup. “Thanks.”

“It’s alright,” Charlie smiled lightly before taking a drink. “I should be thanking you for doing that for me.”

“Always happy to help out,” Brax smiled. “And maybe if you don’t have plans tomorrow we could go out for that movie?”

“Yeah, that would be fine,” Charlie answered. “Connor will be stoked.”

Brax smiled lightly as he took a step closer to Charlie. “How are things going with your work and Lee?” Brax asked. Charlie opened her mouth to reply but Brax spoke over her. “No, sorry it’s not my business don’t answer that.”

“It’s okay,” Charlie looked up to Brax as she bit her lip. “I’m still on suspension and don’t know if I’m facing jail or not yet,” Charlie answered. “The longer they leave it the more I think they have bad news for me.”

“Nah, not going to happen,” Brax said as he put his hand on her arm. “It was in self-defence. There’s no way you are going to go down for this.”

“I wish I shared your optimism. The longer it’s been I just....” Charlie trailed off as she bowed her head down.

“Hey hey,” Brax put his hand on Charlie’s chin and lifted her head up so she was facing him again. “It’s not going to happen. They’d be crazy if they wanted to put you away for protecting your daughter and yourself.” Charlie smiled lightly as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Good there I go again,” Charlie wiped the tear from her cheek. “You’ll be glad to get home so you don’t have too look at my puffy up tear stained face.”

“You’re gorgeous Charlie,” Brax answered. “Tears or no tears I think you are the most gorgeous woman I’ve met.” Charlie smiled lightly as Brax wiped the tear away from her eye. He placed his coffee cup down on the worktop and lightly cupped her cheek with his hand moving his thumb ever so slightly to rub her cheek. His eyes met with hers met with hers and they smiled at each other. Just as Brax was about to move in for a kiss, the door burst open and Connor and Ruby came back into the house, causing Brax to remove his hand from her face and pick up his coffee cup again. Connor ran into the kitchen and dropped his bag down onto the floor as he handed the shell up to Charlie.

“Mummy I found you this.” Connor smiled as Charlie took the shell from him.

“Ah wow, it’s real pretty, thank you squirt.” Charlie smiled as she pulled her son in for a hug.

“We was at the beach and Ruby’s boyfriend came to say hello.”

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Ruby answered as she appeared in the kitchen. “He’s just a friend.”

“But he is a boy. So he is a boyfriend,” Connor sighed. “Oh hello Darryl. What are you doing here?”

“I came to ask you if you wanted to go and see Madagascar 3 tomorrow.” Brax smiled down at the little boy.

“Yeah,” Connors eyes widened. “Can we go mummy please?”

“Sure,” Charlie smiled and Connor cheered. “So how was your day?”

“Good,” Connor nodded. “We have to have more days like that.”

“Yeah you will can.” Charlie smiled. “Take your beach stuff up the stairs.” Charlie said and Connor picked up his bag and turned to face Ruby taking her by the hand.

“Come with me.” Connor said and Ruby ran off with him, doing as he requested.

“So I should probably head home,” Brax said as he drank the last of his coffee before putting the mug down on the worktop. “But I’ll be around at 11 tomorrow to pick you up for the movies?”

“Yeah, sounds good.” Charlie smiled as she showed Brax out.

Thanks everyone. :wub: Hope this one is alright.... :unsure:

Chapter 25

“Where is he?” Connor questioned as he stood impatiently looking out of the window. “He’s late again isn’t he?”

“Not by much,” Charlie looked down to her watch. “Only 5 minutes.”

“I’m going to need to tell him,” Connor sighed as he looked around to his mother. “You don’t be late.”

“You’ll do nothing of the sort,” Charlie said. “He’s doing a very nice thing by taking you to the movies so you’ll be nice.”

“Mum,” Connor gasped. “I’m always nice.”

Charlie laughed lightly at the cheeky grin her son was displaying. “Get away from the window. You’re breathing on it and getting it all marked.”

“It rubs off,” Connor said as he wiped his hand across the window. “See.”

“Come here,” Charlie said and Connor ran over to her. Charlie exhaled lightly as she bent down to her son’s level. She smiled down at him as she cupped his cheek with her hand. “You’re a handsome little man, you know that.” Connor went red, embarrassed by his mother’s comment. “You know mummy loves you, right?”

“Yeah,” Connor gave a sort of giggle. “You tell me all the times.”

“I know, but I just want you to know that mummy is always going to love you, okay. No matter what happens.” Charlie said and Connor nodded his head, feeling a little confused as Charlie pulled him into a hug.

“I like that you’ve been off work this week,” Connor smiled as the parted the hug. “We’ve had a lot of fun.”

“Yeah we have haven’t we?” Charlie took a deep breath. She hated the not knowing what was happening in Lee’s case, and she hated even more that she was lying to her son about why she was off. Of course Connor didn’t know she was suspended, as far as he was aware she was on a holiday from work.

“Is you off for more time?” Connor questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “I thought it would be nice to take some time off and spend it with the most important little man in my life.”

“Is that really me?” Connor questioned.

“Of course it is squirt,” Charlie smiled. “There’s no-one else I’d want it to be.”

“So not daddy?”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “You’re going to be the only man in my life. It’s just me and you now, okay?”

“Yeah,” Connor smiled. “Cos daddy is a stupid head.”

“Connor,” Charlie gasped. “Don’t talk about daddy like that.”

“But he is though mummy,” Connor answered. “He really is a big stupid head.”

Before Charlie got the chance to reply the doorbell rang and Connors face lit up before ran over to the door and opened it. “Darryl,” Connor scowled as he waved his finger out in front of him. “You are late again.”

“Sorry,” Brax answered. “My silly brother needed a lift, so that’s why I’m a little late.”

“Hmmm,” Connor scratched the side of his head. “How old is you?”

“I’m 29,” Brax laughed. “Why?”

Connor took Brax by the hand and led him into the house and to the bottom of the stairs. “You need to sit there for 29 minutes.” Connor told Brax as he looked up at him with a stern look on his face.

“Connor.” Charlie laughed as she looked down to her son.

“Well he is late. He needs to go on the naughty step.” Connor sighed.

“Well you didn’t give him a warning so he shouldn’t be on the naughty step yet and we don’t have time either. If we want to get to the movie then we’ve got to leave now.”

“Well the next time,” Connor shook his finger out in front of Brax. “It’s the naughty step okay.”

“Yes sir.” Brax nodded as Connor ran off up the stairs.

“I’m sorry about that.” Charlie said.

“It’s fine,” Brax laughed. “I thought it was cute.”

“Connor what are you doing?” Charlie shouted up the stairs. “We need to get going.”

“I’m coming,” Connor said as he jumped down the stairs. “I want to take Darryl with me.”

“I am coming squirt.” Brax laughed.

“I know you are silly,” Connor said. “I mean my lion. Can I mummy?”

“Eh...sure if you have too.” Charlie answered. “Now let’s get going.”

“Oh ehm, well need to take your car,” Brax said. “My Ute only has 2 seats.”

“Okay,” Charlie smiled lightly as she walked through to the kitchen and grabbed the car key before walking back through to the living room, and out the front door with Connor and Brax following. She locked the house before they walked over to the car, and piled in, before she made the drive to the cinema.

Ruby answered the door to find Romeo standing at the other side. “Romeo, hey, what are you doing here?” Ruby questioned.

“I bumped into Tony at the surf club and he said you were feeling a bit sick this morning so I thought I’d come around and make you some homemade soup to try to make you feel better.”

“Ah that’s very sweet of you but its morning sickness so I’m not sure soup will help. I probably won’t be able to keep it down.” Ruby said as Romeo walked into the house with his shopping bags. The night before Ruby had gone back to Tony and Rachel’s to stay, at least until Charlie had changed Lily’s room into a guest room and it meant Connor could get back into his room.

“It worked for Indi, so you never know it might work for you too.” Romeo said as he put the bags down on the table.

“Indi?” Ruby questioned.

“Oh I eh...” Romeo scratched the back of his head, realising he said he something he shouldn’t have. “Indi was pregnant,” Romeo sighed, realising he may as well tell her now. “She used to get pretty bad sickness and my homemade chicken noodle soup always did the trick.” Romeo smiled weakly as he looked down.

“Did she take the baby to Perth?” Ruby questioned.

“Nah,” Romeo shook his head. “She lost it at 10 weeks.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” Ruby said softly. “It must have really hard for you.”

Romeo sniggered. “A few days after she lost it I found out about her and Heath, so I don’t know if it was my baby or his. Then her and Heath paraded around the town, rubbing it in my face that they were together. After a few months they broke up and she went off to uni.”

“I’m sorry,” Ruby bit her lip. “You’re really sweet and I don’t expect you’d deserve that.”

“As I keep telling myself it’s her loss.” Romeo said. “So would you like to try this soup or not?”

“Sure, sounds good.” Ruby smiled. “You want any help?”

“Nope,” Romeo shook his head. “You just sit down on the couch and relax,” Romeo said as he took her hand and led her to the couch. “Leave the cooking to me. You need to get lots of rest now because when the little one gets here you won’t be able to rest for a long while.” Romeo laughed before he walked back over to the kitchen and began to prepare the soup.

“I’m not sure that’s entirely true.” Ruby muttered under her breath as she rubbed her stomach.

After buying the tickets for the movie, Brax, Charlie and Connor were standing in the line so Connor could get some popcorn. “Mummy can I get haribo too?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “You don’t need popcorn and haribo.”

“But I do,” Connor said. “It’s good together.”

“When have you even eaten popcorn and haribo together?” Charlie laughed.

“I haven’t,” Connor shook his head. “But I just know it’s good together.”

“Well you’ll have to share with me and Brax then,” Charlie said and Connor nodded his head.

“I wills,” Connor answered. “I always share.”

“Hmm.” Charlie exhaled as she rubbed Connors head.

“This is going to be the best day,” Connor grinned. “Popcorns, haribo and the movies with my mummy and Darryl. Are you going to have fun Darryl?”

“I am so far yeah.” Brax smiled down at the boy.

“Well it’ll just get better because Madagascar is the best ever,” Connor grinned. “Ah mum I’ve had a brilliant idea.” Connor jumped up and down on the spot.

“Ah yeah and what’s that?” Charlie questioned as she looked down at her son.

“Darryl should sleepover tonight. It’ll be so much fun. We can play soccer then watch the first Madagascar movies then -”

“Connor no,” Charlie shook her head as she cut him off from speaking. “Brax isn’t going to be sleeping over.”

“But mummy it would be fun.” Connor sighed. “You’ve got a big enough bed.”

“Connor no.” Charlie said again.

“Probably for the best eh mate,” Brax said as he put his hand on Connor’s shoulder. “I’ve got work early tomorrow.”

Connor sighed as he looked for Charlie to Brax then back to Charlie. “Just thought it would be fun is all.”

“Sorry squirt,” Brax said as they stepped to the front of the line. “Hey, eh, one medium popcorn, one bag of haribo, a large coke and eh....do you two want a drink?” Brax questioned as he looked to Connor and Charlie.

“A bottle of water please.” Charlie said.

“Can I have a coke mummy?” Connor questioned.

“Just a small one.” Charlie nodded.

“A bottle of water and a small coke.” Brax smiled at the server before reaching into his pocket for his wallet.

“I’ll get this,” Charlie said. “You bought the tickets it’s only fair.”

“It’s my treat, I told you.” Brax smiled as the server put the popcorn on the counter and Connor tucked Darryl the lion under his arms and picked it up, his eyes widening at the size of it.

“Enjoy that buddy.” The sever smiled.

“I will,” Connor nodded. “We is going to see Madagascar 3.”

“Ah well it’s a very good movie.” The server smiled. “I’m sure you’ll all enjoy it.”

“Good.” Connor smiled as he tucked into the popcorn already. “We’s on our movie date.”

“Aw wow, Mummy and daddy spoiling you today eh,” The server said as she put the haribo and his coke down on the counter.

“He’s Darryl not daddy.” Connor giggled. “He’s much nicer than daddy. Daddy is a stupid head.”

“Connor.” Charlie raised her voice. “If you say that one more time then no more haribo for you.” Connor widened his eyes before he lifted the haribo into his hands and took a few steps back from Charlie. Brax paid the girl for the food and drink before lifting up his coke as Charlie picked up her water and Connors coke as they started to walk down to the screen.

“For what it’s worth I think Angelo is a stupid head too.” Brax laughed.

Charlie dug her elbow into his side. “Don’t you encourage him either.”

“Sorry. Let’s just enjoy this movie date.” Brax smiled as they walked into the screen and found themselves a seat, Connor taking a place in-between Brax and Charlie.

“This is the best movie date so far mummy.” Connor smiled up at her.

“Good I’m glad you’re having a good time.” Charlie smiled down to her son.

“Is you mummy?”

“Yeah I am.” Charlie answered as she opened her water bottle.

“And you Darryl?” Connor questioned as he looked up at him.

“Yep.” Brax nodded. “I am hav -”

“Shhh,” Connor placed his index finger on Brax’s mouth. “Thems trailers are starting.” Connor turned back to face the screen and stared intently, engrossed at a new cartoon movie that was coming out. Charlie and Brax both looked up at each other and both gave each other a rather large smile.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 26

Ruby put the spoon down into the bowl. “That was really good,” Ruby smiled. “And it seems so far that I’m going to keep it down too.”

“Told you it would work.” Romeo gave Ruby a cheeky smile.

“Not just a pretty face then.” Ruby smiled shyly as Romeo picked up the bowls and spoons and placed them into the dishwasher.

“Nope,” Romeo laughed. “And I can work a washing machine too.”

“Wow, you really are the whole package eh.” Ruby laughed.

“Well I try,” Romeo said. “So eh, do you have any plans for today?

“Nope.” Ruby shook her head. “I’m free the whole day, why?”

“Just thought we could hang out,” Romeo smiled nervously. “That is if you want too.”

“Yeah,” Ruby replied. “I eh...I’d like that.”

Romeo smiled as he moved closer to Ruby. “So, what do you want to do?”

“Eh...I dunno.” Ruby laughed nervously. “A walk along the beach or we could play some pool in the surf club?”

“Yeah we can do both,” Romeo smiled. “If you wanted.”

“Yeah, sure,” Ruby answered. “I’ll just go get my bag.” Ruby disappeared down the hall and as she walked into her room she took a deep breath. She picked up a bag, and put her wallet and mobile into it. “He probably just wants to be your friend....don’t be so nervous.” Ruby mumbled as she put her bag over one shoulder and walked back down the hall and into the kitchen.

“Ready?” Romeo smiled and Ruby nodded as she picked up her house key, before they made their way over to the door to leave the house.

“This is a nice restaurant,” Connor said as he took a bite of his burger. “The burger is really good.”

“Connor don’t speak with your mouth full.” Charlie said as she picked up her glass of orange and took a drink.

“Why?” Connor questioned, once again, with food in this mouth.

“Because no one wants to see inside your mouth when you’re chewing food.” Charlie said.

Connor giggled before taking a drink of his juice. “Darryl what you doing tomorrow?”

“I’ve got work mate, why?” Brax questioned.

“Ahh.” Connor huffed. “I was going to say we could have played soccer or oh you could have tooked me and mummy bowling.”

“Oh I could have, could I?” Brax laughed lightly as Connor nodded.

“And what about school?” Charlie questioned.

“Well uhm....we could go after school.” Connor grinned. “Please Darryl you like being with us, don’t you?”

“Yeah I do,” Brax nodded. “But I’m busy tomorrow, but I’m sure we could arrange that for one day if your mum says it’s okay.”

“Please mummy,” Connor pouted as he put his hands together. “Please please please please please.”

“Connor Brax doesn’t want to hang out with a 5-year-old kid all the time. I’m sure he has better things to do.”

“Not really,” Brax shook his head. “And like I said, I’m happy to take him bowling and you obviously. If you say yes of course.”

“Please,” Connor begged. “It’ll be fun.”

“We’ll see.” Charlie answered. “Now Connor it was very nice of you to buy me and Brax lunch.”

“I’s not buying,” Connor shook his head. “Mummy I have no moneys.” Connor widened his eyes in panic.

“What, you said it was your treat?” Brax played along as Connor continued to look panicked.

“But mummy you knows I have no money.” Connor sighed.

“Well what are we going to do?” Charlie questioned. “I have no money either and Brax spent all his at the movies.”

“I don’t know.” Connor shook his head.

“Think you’ll have to do the dishes mate,” Brax laughed. “That might let us get away without paying.”

“Me?” Connor questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded her head. “You did say it was your treat after all.”

“But I didn’t.” Connor shook his head.

“Go on, up to the kitchen.” Charlie said and Connor exhaled lightly as he shyly jumped down from the chair and made his way over to the kitchen doors.

“You’re really going to let him go?” Brax laughed.

“He won’t.” Charlie shook her head. “He’ll be back any second now.” Charlie said, and just on cue, Connor came running back to the table.

“Mummy I don’t want too.” Connor bowed his head down like he was about to cry as he sat down on her knee.

“Aww I was only bugging you sweetie.” Charlie laughed as she lightly rubbed his back.

“It’s not nice.” Connor scowled.

“I’m sorry.” Charlie said. “And mummy is going to pay for it.”

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “I’ve got this too.”

“No, Brax, you bought the tickets and the popcorn and drinks. I should buy this.”

“Yeah, but I told you this was my treat.” Brax replied. “So in case you didn’t know, my treat means I’ll pay for it all.” Brax said as he hit his chest with his index finger.

“Thank you,” Charlie smiled lightly. “But that means you’ll need to let me return the favour.”

“You can when we go bowling mummy.” Connor grinned. “You can pay then for the bowling and the McDonalds.”

“And who said we were going to go bowling and get a McDonalds?” Charlie questioned.

“Uhm...” Connor scratched the side of his head. “Please.” Connor turned his head so he was looking up to his mother, staring into her eyes.

“Ahh you know I can’t say no to that face.” Charlie mumbled as she pinched his cheek. Connor giggled as he wrapped his arms around her neck and gave her a hug. Charlie placed a soft kiss on his head as her eyes glanced up at Brax, who was giving her smile.

Ruby and Romeo were sitting in the surf club having a smoothie after a few games of pool. “So, I see your soup making is better than your pool playing.” Ruby laughed.

“You eh....you gotta let the girl win.” Romeo replied.

“Ahh really?” Ruby questioned. “So you lost on purpose?”

“Yeah yeah,” Romeo nodded. “Totally lost on purpose.” Romeo said as he tried to sound convincing.

“Yeah, I believe you, thousands wouldn’t,” Ruby laughed before she and Romeo shared a glance. “So,” Ruby cleared her throat. “How’s your cracked ribs this week?”

“They’re still a bit sore,” Romeo replied. “But nothing like it was last week.”

“Ah that’s good.” Ruby smiled. “Again, I’m really sorry that he hurt you.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Romeo smiled weakly. “It’s in the past now.”

“I know, but we’d only talked to one another a couple of times and you know it’s not as if you are my boyfriend so....” Ruby trailed off as they once again exchanged a glance. “I just don’t get that you seem so fine about it.”

“I know what it’s like being stuck with someone like Lee,” Romeo exhaled lightly. “My stepdad was not a nice guy,” Romeo shook his head. “My mum had to endure a lot for him and once I got big enough, I’d step in....I’d rather get hurt than see my mum hurt.” Romeo bowed his head down.

“I’m sorry.” Ruby said quietly.

“It’s fine,” Romeo exhaled. “Ever since then I’ve just felt a need to protect women from scum like them, so if him beating on me saved you from getting hurt then I’d say it was worth it. Especially with you being pregnant, you know you’ve got you kid to worry about now too.” Ruby smiled weakly. Talking with Romeo was easy and it felt like she’d known him all her life as opposed to the few weeks she had actually known him, but why was she finding it hard to tell him that she wasn’t going to keep her baby? She rubbed her stomach lightly as she took a drink of her smoothie, if only to give her more time to think of what she could say, but before she got the chance too, he spoke again. “Anyways, Lee is in the past now and we’ll keep him there.” Romeo smiled lightly as he looked over to the pool table. “Fancy another game?”

“Sure,” Ruby nodded. “You going to let me win again?” Ruby laughed as she stood up from the chair and walked over to the pool table.

“We’ll have to see.” Romeo laughed as he lifted up the triangle and began to rack up the balls. Ruby smiled as she watched him. He was sweet, caring and handsome, and Ruby felt a funny feeling in her stomach whenever she spoke to him. She had a slight inkling that he felt something for her too, but the question was, was Ruby ready to move on from Lee, because even though he was abusive and she knew she needed to get away from him, deep down, Ruby still loved him.

Thank you all so much. :wub:

Chapter 27

Charlie drove up to her house to notice Angelo’s car was sitting in her driveway. She muttered under her breath as she, Brax and Connor got out the car and made their way up to the front door of her house. Angelo stepped out of his car and followed them up to the driveway. “See you’ve spent the day with Brax.” Angelo said unimpressed.

“So what if we have?” Charlie questioned. “It doesn’t really have anything to do with you.”

“No it doesn’t,” Angelo sniggered. “Who my son hangs around with has nothing to do me, right enough.”

“Ah, so he is still your son?” Charlie questioned. “Wasn’t the case on Wednesday or yesterday when he was supposed to be spending the night at yours was it?”

“Yeah daddy,” Connor exhaled. “You no want me and I no want you, so goodbye.” Connor said as he pushed on Angelo’s stomach.

“Connor.” Charlie pulled her son back.

“It true,” Connor sounded as if he was going to break down into tears. “Darryl is much nicer than you. He helped me with my rocket for school and he looked after me when you wouldn’t and he tooked us to the movies and for lunch today and he is taking us bowling and -” As Connor spoke he tried to reach his arm out to hit at Angelo again.

“Hey, Connor, calm yourself down sweetie.” Charlie said softly as she bent down to her son’s level and lightly rubbed his cheek.

“But it’s true. Darryl is much better than that stupid head.”

“He’s not worth getting yourself all worked up over, okay.” Charlie smiled softly as she wiped a tear from her sons face before she glanced up at Brax and Brax nodded, understanding what Charlie wanted him to do.

“Hey squirt let’s go through to the back garden and you can show me how good you are at soccer.” Brax said as he held his hand out.

“Yeah.” Connor smiled as he took Brax’s hand and walked around the side of the house and through to the back garden.

“I can’t believe you are letting him near our son,” Angelo spat. “He’s a river boy Charlie.”

“No, he isn’t.” Charlie shook her head as she reached into her bag to get the house keys. “His brothers are river boys. He isn’t.”

That’s what he wants you to believe.” Angelo raised his voice. “But he -”

“Oh, what did you come here for Angelo?” Charlie snapped as she walked into the house, with Angelo following her inside.

“I eh....I need to leave town for a while.” Angelo exhaled. “My dad’s taken ill and mum needs me to go and help with the restaurant.”

“So when are you leaving?” Charlie questioned.

“Tomorrow or Tuesday.” Angelo answered.

“But what about next weekend?” Charlie questioned. “Do you not want to be here for that?

“I’ll can talk to Lily wherever I am.” Angelo answered before clearing a lump in his throat.

“But her grave is here.” Charlie said. “It’s her first birthday.”

“I’m sorry. You know I’d love to be here, but my dad really needs me.”

“So, what about your restaurant?” Charlie asked. “Are you actually going to leave your place in the hands of Brax?” Charlie questioned as she gave a laugh of disbelief.

“Of course not,” Angelo shook his head. “That would be stupid. Dave is going to call the shots.”

“Okay, well enjoy Melbourne.” Charlie said. “Thanks for letting me know, I guess.”

Angelo smiled weakly. “Maybe me leaving the bay for a while will be a good thing. You know I can grieve for Lily and maybe over time, learn to forgive Connor.”

“Forgive Connor?” Charlie snapped once again. “For what? That kid has done nothing but love you and the way you’ve treated him in return.....I don’t blame him for not wanting anything to do with you anymore and no wonder he thinks you are a stupid head, because you are.”

“Like I say, I can’t help how I feel but maybe over time things with me and Connor will be like they used to be again.”

“Yeah they will be once you’ve stopped blaming him for Lily’s death.” Charlie said coldly. “So, is that you all came here to say? That you were leaving? Well apart from thinking you’d have liked to have been there next weekend, I’m not going to beg you to stay or throw you a farewell party, so if that’s everything?” Charlie questioned as she pointed to the door, indicating she wanted Angelo to leave.

“I eh...” Angelo rubbed the side of his head. “I also wanted to see if everything was going was okay with the Lee and Ruby stuff?” Angelo questioned. “I’d heard she was back, must have been a shock for you.”

“Yeah, but we are getting there.” Charlie smiled lightly. “And I don’t know what’s happening to me yet, but you don’t have to worry, you’re not going to get stuck with Connor if I go down. Bianca is more than happy to raise him for me.” Charlie spat coldly.

“Probably for the best,” Angelo exhaled lightly. “But you shouldn’t get sent down.”

“So everyone keeps telling me.” Charlie sighed. “So is that all?”

“The divorce papers?” Angelo questioned. “Do you still have them?”

“Yeah I do, why?”

“I’ll sign them,” Angelo sighed sadly. “I’d rather work on us, but I’m pretty sure I’ve ruined things between us for good, so I have to let you go.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she walked over to the cabinet and opened the drawer, lifting out the papers. She handed them to Angelo, before she found a pen for him. Angelo exhaled as he jotted his name down on the paper, before leaving them sitting on the coffee table. “Well I guess that’s the end then.”

“Yeah I guess so,” Charlie said as she wiped across her eyes as if pushing back tears that wanted to fall. “But eh....I hope your dad will be okay.”

“Me too,” Angelo nodded lightly. “And I hope you’ll be happy with your river boy.”

“Brax and I are just friends,” Charlie answered. “Not that it has anything to do with you.”

“You seriously believe that’s all he is after?” Angelo sniggered lightly.

“He’s a friend. He’s helping me out with Connor. You know, being that father figure for him considering his real dad is a complete and utter douchebag.”

Angelo laughed lightly. “Don’t be so stupid Charlie. He’s what, 29, 30?” Angelo questioned. “What 30 year old all of a sudden takes an interest in a 5-year-old kid? He doesn’t care about Connor; he just wants to get into your pants.”

“I don’t believe you.” Charlie shook her head. “He’s not like that.”

“You ask him,” Angelo smiled smugly. “I bet you he is just using this whole thing with Connor to get you on the soft and when the time is right, he’ll make the moves and get you into bed.”

“Just get out,” Charlie said as she walked over to the door and opened it back up. “Just go to Melbourne and for all I care, don’t bother coming back.”

“You know I’m right, Charlie.” Angelo gave her a smug grin as he walked over to the door. “Just be careful. I love you more than anything so I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I won’t, because you’re wrong.” Charlie said before she slammed the door shut after Angelo walked out. She exhaled lightly as she walked back over to the couch and took a seat, and lifted up the divorce papers before a tear escaped her eye.

Ruby and Romeo walked back into Tony and Rachel’s place. Ruby threw her bag down on the couch as she turned to face Romeo. “Thanks, but you didn’t need to walk me home.”

“I thought we were hanging out?” Romeo questioned. “But if you want me to leave?” Romeo pointed to the door as he spoke.

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “You can stay longer if you want. I just thought maybe you would be bored of me by now.”

“Nah,” Romeo shook his head. “I like hanging around with you.”

“Might not when I suggest we watch Beauty and the beast.” Ruby said.

“You trying to point something out here?” Romeo laughed.

“No, never,” Ruby shook her head. “You’re far too handsome and sweet to be a beast.”

Romeo went red and spoke shyly. “Well I was actually going to say that calling yourself a beast is a bit harsh, but thanks.”

Ruby laughed lightly as she lightly hit Romeo’s chest. “Oi cheeky.”

“No, you’re far too cute to be a beast,” Romeo smiled lightly and they stared into each other’s eyes and gave each other a smile. “So,” Romeo cleared his throat. “Beauty and the beast? Bit of an oldie is it not?”

“Yeah, but I love it,” Ruby smiled. “I remember watching it with Charlie all the time growing up. I used to want to be chip.” Ruby laughed lightly.

“You wanted to be a cup with a crack in it?” Romeo questioned as he tried his hardest not to let the laughter escape him.

“Hey, I was only little.” Ruby laughed.

“Yeah, but still, wanting to be Belle I’d understand, but some broken crockery?” Romeo rolled his eyes.

“Well I always said Charlie was Belle because she was beautiful so I couldn’t be Belle too.” Ruby smiled fondly as she thought about when she was growing up, and how close to Charlie she was.

“Well you’re definitely a Belle now and not a chip.” Romeo smiled nervously. “Question is, am I Gaston or the beast in this story?” Romeo asked as he ever so softy rubbed Ruby’s cheek with his hand.

“The beast,” Ruby cleared her throat. “He’s the one who turns into the handsome prince in the end.” Ruby smiled lightly as once again they stared deeply into each other’s eyes. She exhaled lightly before she stood on her tip toes and placed a soft kiss on Romeo’s lips. Romeo smiled into the kiss, as he pulled Ruby closer to him, the kiss growing more passionate.

Chapter 28

Connor ran back into the house and over to Charlie, who was sitting on the couch with her head in her hands. He placed his hand on her shoulder as he ran his other hand through her hair. “Mummy is you okay?”

Charlie looked up at her son as she wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling him close to her. “I’ll be fine,” Charlie tried not to show her hurt. “How was soccer with Brax?”

“Good,” Connor smiled. “Can Darryl stay for dinner?”

“Eh nope, he can’t.” Charlie shook her head. “You go up the stairs and clean your room hmmm.”

“But it’s not messy,” Connor answered. “Please let Darryl stay for dinner.”

“Well then go and pick out a game and mummy will be up to play soon.” Charlie said and Connor exhaled lightly before running off up the stairs.

“Is everything okay?” Brax questioned as he leaned against the door frame between the kitchen and the living room.

Charlie stood up from the couch. “Angelo signed the divorce papers.” Charlie said sadly.

“I’m sorry.” Brax bowed his head down.

“Are you really?” Charlie questioned and Brax looked at Charlie, confused. “Why are you here Brax? Why are you always keen on hanging about with me and Connor?”

“Like I said, I know what it’s like not having a father and -”

“And that’s really all it is?” Charlie questioned. “You don’t want to be more than friends with me?”

“Well...” Brax exhaled lightly, sensing he needed to be honest with Charlie. “Yeah, I like you and I want to be more than friends but -”

“So you have just been using Connor?” Charlie questioned. “Playing the nice guy. Oh he’s good with my boy so it’ll make me fall for you?”

“No, Charlie, I’m doing all this with Connor because it’s not fair that the little guy had such a douchebag of a father and he deserves someone in his life that’s always going to be there for him.”

“He has that with me.” Charlie said on the verge of tears. “I trusted you with my son. I thought I had a friend who I could talk to, but you just wanted to soften me up so I’d fall for you.”

“No, I am your friend.” Brax exhaled as he rubbed his forehead. “I wouldn’t rush you into anything and I’d not try anything unless I thought you like me too. Charlie, there is something here between us, okay, I’ve felt it and I thought you had too.”

“So you’ve pretty much just admitted that you’ve only been hanging around us because you want to get me into bed.”

“I....” Brax exhaled lightly. “What I’ve said about being there for Connor is true. He’s an amazing kid and Angelo is a complete idiot for not being there for him.”

“But you do want to be more than just my friend?”

“Yes,” Brax exhaled lightly. “But okay look, I tried to kiss you yesterday when we were talking in your kitchen, before Connor came into the house, but I guess you seemed pretty oblivious to it.”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked down. “I don’t need this right now. I needed a friend. I thought that’s all you were.” Charlie ran her hand through her hair. “I think you should just go.”

“Charlie, please I -”

“Just leave.” Charlie raised her voice and Brax bowed his head down as he walked out of the house.

Bianca put the coffee cup down on the table and Charlie exhaled lightly as she wrapped her hands around it. “Thanks.” Charlie said as she smiled weakly up at Bianca. “Ah...how could I not notice it Bianca?” Charlie questioned. “How could I not tell that he liked me?”

“Well you’ve had a lot on your mind lately.” Bianca exhaled. “All this stuff with Angelo, stuff with Lily is still on your mind, especially with her first birthday coming up, Ruby is back, you’re trying to be a single mum to Connor, you’ve got all this stuff with Lee and your job going on....” Bianca paused. “It’s safe to say that you’ve got a lot on your mind so it’s not really like you’ve been looking for signs of flirting or romance.”

“I can’t,” Charlie shook her head. “I...I still love Angelo, there’s no way I can move on, can I?”

“It’s up to you if you feel ready or not.” Bianca answered. “Do you like Brax?”

“Yeah, I like him like I like a friend.” Charlie said. “Or maybe more....I mean it’s been nice hanging around with him lately but I...it’s too soon to move on right?”

“Like I say, only you can judge that,” Bianca said. “You’re the only one who knows if you’re ready to move on or not.”

“He is really sweet, and he’s handsome. He’s kind and he cares,” Charlie sighed lightly. “He’s great with Connor.....but I....” Charlie paused as she bit her lip. “I can’t be with Brax when I’m still in love with Angelo can I?”

“Only you can decide that, Charlie. I’m sorry.” Bianca exhaled. “I know that’s not what you wanted to hear but I can’t give you an answer. Only you can know what you want to do.”

“Bianca you suck with this advice,” Charlie sighed. “I know that you’re probably telling me what’s right, but, really, you suck.”

“Sorry,” Bianca exhaled lightly. “But hey, I think I should go out and get some ice-cream, a bottle of wine and a chick-flick and we can have a good girly night.”

“But Connor- ”

“Connor is sound asleep and he never wakes up.” Bianca said as she picked up her bag and car keys. “I’ll be back soon.” Bianca smiled at her friend before she left the house.

“Hmm, I should probably head home now.” Romeo said as he pulled back from yet another kiss. Ruby and Romeo had spent the afternoon watching Beauty and the beast, 27 dresses and, just so Romeo’s masculinity could be restored, Die Hard.

“You could,” Ruby smiled softly. “Or you could kiss me again.” Ruby grinned before she pulled him in for another kiss.

“Mmm,” Romeo pulled back. “Ruby, I really should go home. I’ve got a surf lesson at 7.30 tomorrow.”

“What kinda crazy time is that?” Ruby questioned.

“I know,” Romeo laughed. “But it’s when she wanted to meet so...”

“She?” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Hope I’m not going to lose you already?”

“No chance,” Romeo shook his head. “I’m not going to let you go before we even get started.”

“Well that’s good to know,” Ruby grinned. “I eh...I have a trial at the diner tomorrow but I should finish around 4 if you wanted to hang out?”

“Yeah, sounds good.” Romeo smiled. “And eh, I just want you to know that this baby...it’s eh....it’s not going to bother me...it’s not going to cause issue with us.” Romeo smiled and Ruby exhaled lightly as she bit her lip.

“Romeo that’s really sweet, but I eh.....” Ruby trailed off as the door opened and Rachel walked into her house.

“Oh hey Romeo.” Rachel smiled. “So Rubes, I know it’s early to start buying things for the little one but I saw these today and I just couldn’t resist.” Rachel smiled as she excitedly pulled a little yellow baby grow out of the bag, along with a white baby grow with a little bunny on the left hand corner. “Thought it was safer staying neutral just for the moment, but we are going to find out what it is, if you don’t mind?”

“What does she mean?” Romeo questioned.

“I eh....Romeo about the baby.” Ruby exhaled as she gave Rachel an annoyed glance. “I’m not keeping it.”

“What?” Romeo questioned. “But it’s your child.”

“It’s not,” Ruby shook her head. “It’s Tony and Rachel’s. They are going to adopt it. I don’t want to be a mother.”

“But this is your child,” Romeo exhaled. “How can you just get rid of it?”

“Because it’s what I feel is best for the baby.” Ruby answered truthfully.

“Well I think it’s best when the baby is with its mother,” Romeo exhaled lightly. “Well like I said I need to go. Bye.” Romeo said before he walked over to the door and left the house. Ruby pursed her lips together before she looked up to Rachel.

“I’m sorry, I....you two have been spending time together lately I’d just figured you would have told him.”

“It’s fine,” Ruby exhaled lightly. “They’re really cute,” Ruby smiled as she looked down at the baby grows in Rachel’s hands. “I eh...I’m going to go to my room.” Ruby said as she walked out of the living room and down the hall and into her bedroom. She closed her eyes, just as a tear escaped her, as she lightly rubbed her stomach.

Chapter 29

Charlie and Connor walked into the diner to get a drink after Connor’s day at school. “Mummy can we ask Darryl to come for dinner today?” Connor questioned as he sat down on the chair, lying his school bag down on the seat next to him.

“No.” Charlie answered simply.

“How not?” Connor questioned.

“He’s working and you can’t spend every day with him, okay.” Charlie spoke rather sternly to her son.

“Okay, I was just asking.” Connor sighed lightly as he rested his elbows off the table and held his head up in his hands.

“Sorry,” Charlie rubbed her sons head. “Mummy’s just stressed out.”

“Maybe if Darryl tooked us out it would help you be better.” Connor smiled.

“I don’t think so sweetheart.” Charlie shook her head as Ruby walked over to their table.

“Hey how’s it going?” Ruby smiled down at them.

“Not good Ruby,” Connor shook his head. “Mummy says she is stressed.”

“Oh, is everything okay?” Ruby questioned as she looked up to Charlie. Charlie bit her lip before nodding.

“Yeah, everything will be fine.” Charlie smiled weakly. “So, I see you’ve finally got to do you’re trail in here,” Ruby was supposed to be on her trail last Monday, but giving Lee put her in hospital, it had to be changed to this week. “How is it going so far?”

“What apart from breaking a plate, spilling hot soup over a customer, taking a table someone else’s order and charging someone way too much for their coffee and flapjack you mean?” Ruby sighed.

“Well it’s your first day so you’re bound to make some mistakes.” Charlie said trying to show Ruby she was still positive that she’d get the job.

“Would you hire me?” Ruby gave a sort of laugh, showing she had little faith in herself.

“Well…..as I said it’s your first day so you’re bound to have some little slip-ups.” Charlie smiled lightly at Ruby.

“Yeah, so what can I get you two?” Ruby questioned.

“Chocolate milkshake please.” Connor grinned up at Ruby as she wrote his order down.

“I’ll have a latte,” Charlie said. “And a slice of the lemon drizzle cake, with two forks.” Charlie said and Connor’s face lit up as he heard he was getting some cake.

“Okay, coming right up,” Ruby smiled. “Hopefully I won’t do anything to muck this order up.”

“It’s probably just nerves,” Charlie said. “Once you get settled you’ll be fine. When you worked at Angelo’s he said you were his best waitress.”

“Probably because he had to be nice,” Ruby sighed. “You know I was his sister-in-law.” Ruby said before an awkward silence hit the two. “Well anyways,” Ruby cleared her throat. “I’ll be right back with your order.”

“Mummy who is that girl?” Connor questioned as Ruby walked away.

“She’s Ruby.” Charlie answered. She knew what Connor actually meant but she still wasn’t sure on what she should tell him on who she was, and she felt that didn’t really matter right now, what was important was that she and Ruby were talking again and hopefully building up a good relationship, and whether that was as mother and daughter or as sisters, it didn’t really seem all that important to Charlie right now.

“I know that silly,” Connor giggled. “But like how do you know her?”

“I told you,” Charlie said. “I used to know her a long time ago, but she left town and now she is back.”

“But like how?” Connor banged his hand against the table in frustration. “How did you know her?”

“Just like I know Bianca or Irene or…Brax,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “I just knew her.”

“Well can we ask her for dinner tonight?” Connor questioned.

“What’s with wanting to ask everyone for dinner all of a sudden?” Charlie laughed.

“I dunno,” Connor shrugged his shoulders. “I just thought it would be nice is all.”

“Well yes, you can ask Ruby.” Charlie smiled as Connor grinned and he clapped his hands together a few times, just as Ruby appeared back at the table with Connor’s milkshake and the lemon drizzle cake.

“Ruby, mummy said I can ask you to for dinner tonight,” Connor smiled up at her. “You will come won’t you?”

“I eh…” Ruby trailed off. She was supposed to be meeting Romeo after work, but the way he left the house the day before, she wasn’t sure if he’d turn up.

“If you have plans it’s okay.” Charlie said. “We can just ask you around another time.”

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “I’d love to come, thank you.”

“Yey.” Connor grinned before pulling his milkshake closer to him and putting the straw in his mouth and taking a drink.

“I’ll be right back with you coffee.” Ruby said. “If I can work the machine this time, that is.”

“And the forks,” Connor said. “Don’t forget the forks.”

“Of course,” Ruby nodded. “I won’t forget them.” Ruby said before she walked away.

“Tonight is going to be real good mum,” Connor grinned. “We can watch at DVD and everything.”

“Let me guess? Madagascar?”

“Of course.” Connor giggled and Charlie smiled lightly as she looked up to Ruby who was trying her hand at making a coffee as Irene watched over her. She smiled lightly to herself as she thought about the differences from the girl standing there today to the girl who was standing soaked on her doorstep a few weeks before hand. She looked happy, she was smiling and the colour was back in her face again. Charlie only hoped that this girl was here to stay and that one day, Connor, Ruby and herself could be a happy family.

Charlie stirred the spaghetti that was cooking in the boiling water, and smiled lightly at herself. She’d never have been able to make spaghetti and meatballs this time last year, but shortly after Lily’s death, she took a 15 week cooking class programme, most likely because she needed something to keep her mind occupied, but the results of Charlie cooking paid off, so she was glad she’d took the classes, with even her son now looking forward to her cooking. “I’ll get it,” Connor screeched as the sounds of the doorbell could be heard. “Hi Ruby.” Connor said as he invited her into the house.

“Hey, something smells amazing,” Ruby grinned as she walked into the kitchen, holding a tupperware box in her hand. “Which I would say is strange if you are cooking.” Ruby laughed.

“Ha-ha,” Charlie turned her head to face Ruby as continued to stir the meatballs in the tomato sauce. “I took some cooking lessons so I’m an okay cook now.” Charlie said. “Don’t go giving me the Michelin star just yet, but I’m getting better at this whole cooking thing.”

“Well that’s good to know.” Ruby smiled.

“Ruby what you got in the box?” Connor questioned.

“Well after work today I went home and made us some dessert,” Ruby answered. “Do you like peanut butter brownies?”

“Wow,” Connor widened his eyes in amazement. “I love brownies. They’s my favourite after harbio. Can I have one now mummy?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head as she put a little salt and pepper into the sauce for seasoning. “You’re about to have your dinner. You can have one after.”

“Okay,” Connor said. “But I get the biggest one Ruby.”

“Ah I’m not sure about that,” Ruby shook her head. “I think I should get the biggest one, after all I did make them, it’s only fair right?”

“No,” Connor answered. “You should give the biggest one to someone else to be nice.”

“Ah I see.” Ruby said. “So then Charlie, you get the biggest bit.”

“No, Ruby,” Connor shook his head as he looked up at her, his eyes all wide. “You supposed to give it to me.”

“Well I don’t know about that,” Ruby said. “Charlie has worked hard here cooking us a nice meal, I think she deserves it.”

Connor furrowed his eyebrows and was about to reply when Charlie spoke over him. “Go wash your hands, mister.” Charlie said as she took the bowls from heating in the oven and laid them out on the worktop. Connor exhaled lightly as he ran from the room and up the stairs. Charlie switched the oven off, before she switched off the hob and lifted up the spaghetti pan and carried it over to the sink, picking up the colander and draining the pasta. “So how did the rest of your day go?” Charlie questioned as she started to put the spaghetti into the 3 bowls.

“It got better as the day went on thankfully,” Ruby smiled as she put the box of brownies down on the worktop. “Irene offered me a job.”

“Ahh I knew she would, well done.” Charlie gave her daughter a smile.

“I’m not sure how really considering the morning I had but I’m not going to question it.”

“No,” Charlie said as she put the pan down into the sink and picked up the sauce, and shared it evenly over the 3 bowls. “Well all that matters is that you got the job, so well done” Charlie said before she carried two of the bowls over to the table and Ruby picked up the third and carried it across. “Can I get you a drink?”

“Just orange or apple if you have it.” Ruby answered as she took a seat at the table.

“Apple,” Charlie said as she pulled the carton out of the fridge and walked back over to the table, pouring 3 glasses. “It’s Connor’s favourite this week.”

“Change his mind a lot does he?” Ruby laughed.

“Tends to change on a weekly basis from orange to apple.” Charlie laughed. “Not that I mind, it’s a change from always drinking the same.”

“Yeah, true.” Ruby said as Connor came running back into the kitchen and jumped up onto his chair.

“This looks real good mum.” Connor grinned as he picked up his fork and dug it into a meatball, stuffing the whole thing into his mouth at once. Charlie shook her head lightly at her son as Ruby laughed.

Connor and Ruby were in the living room playing on Connor’s Xbox as Charlie did the dishes in the kitchen. Although Ruby had offered to help, Charlie insisted that she didn’t need to help and that she could just go play with Connor, much to his delight. “Oh dear,” Connor gasped as Ruby scored another goal on the soccer game they were playing. “Ruby you not supposed to be good at this. I thought I would win.” Connor sighed as he paused the game and looked up at her.

Ruby laughed lightly. “There’s still time yet.”

“I used to beat daddy all the time.” Connor said. “He was rubbish.”

“Aww yeah?” Ruby questioned. “You’re pretty good though.”

“Not as good as you,” Connor sighed. “But daddy wanted me to play this boring fishing game.” Connor screwed his face up. “He even took me once to the lake to fish. Was the rubbishest day.” Connor said.

“Aww but your daddy liked to fish didn’t he?” Ruby questioned and Connor nodded.

“Uh-huh. He’s a stupid head.” Connor said.

“That’s not very nice,” Ruby shook her head. “I don’t think mummy would like it if she heard you saying that.”

“She has.” Connor nodded. “First she told me not to say it, but I think she thinks the same. Mummy told me daddy has gone to Melbourne cos Granddad is sick and now he won’t be here at the weekend for Lily so he is really a stupid head cos mummy wanted him here.”

“What’s the weekend?” Ruby questioned.

“It’s Lily’s birthday. Grandma Morag will be here and we are going to the grave together but daddy won’t be and I think mummy is sad. Maybe you could come to cheer her up.”

“Oh, I don’t know if your mummy will want me there Connor.” Ruby said as she looked down at him.

“Why?” Connor questioned. “Mummy likes you.”

“I know, but…..it’s complicated.” Ruby said before looking back to the TV-screen. “Let’s just finish this game, yea?”

“Oh I know who you are.” Connor said as he jumped down from the couch.

“What are you doing Connor?” Ruby questioned as she followed him with her eyes as he ran towards the stairs.

“Come and see,” Connor said. “I know you now.” Ruby stood up from the couch feeling quiet confused as she followed Connor up the stairs. Charlie walked into the living room to see the Xbox was on pause and looked in the direction of the stairs. She was about to go and see what Connor and Ruby were up to when the doorbell went. She exhaled lightly as she walked across and answered it.

“Sergeant Buckton,” The unfamiliar man spoke down to Charlie. “I am Chief Superintendent Grieves and I’m sure you know Inspector Joyce.”

“Yes.” Charlie cleared her throat.

“We are here to talk to you about the incident involving yourself, a Miss Ruby Buckton and a Mr Lee Woods.”

“Eh, you best come in then.” Charlie swallowed nervously as the officers waked into the house.

Thank you Sarah, Zoe, Soph1303, Freakie42, Spotd1 and beebee for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 30

Connor led Ruby into Charlie’s bedroom. “Connor, should we be in here?” Ruby questioned, unsure, as she looked around the room.

“Yeah, it’s fine.” Connor nodded as he got onto his knees and pulled out a box from under the bed. “She looks at these sometimes.” Connor said as he lifted the lid of the box. Ruby looked down to see photos and photos of herself sitting in the box. “She cries sometimes too when she looks at them.”

“Connor I don’t think we should be in here,” Ruby said she went to put the lid back on the box, but Connor put his hands out and stopped her. “This is you,” Connor said. “And this is mummy with you.”

“Yeah that’s right.” Ruby nodded.

“So you’re the girl in the photos.” Connor said. “That’s how I knowed you.”

“Eh yeah.” Ruby smiled lightly.

“Why won’t you tell me who you really are though?” Connor sighed. “Mummy won’t either and I just want to know.” Connor bowed his head down.

“I’m sure your mummy would tell you if you asked her.” Ruby said.

“No she don’t,” Connor sighed. “I asked and asked and she just says you’re someone she knows.”

“Well it’s up to your mummy if you know so I can’t tell you,” Ruby shook her head. “But really Connor I think that we should get out of this room. I don’t like that we are in here looking at your mum’s things.”

“But it you,” Connor said as he picked up a picture of Charlie and Ruby, one from way back, when it was Charlie and Angelo’s wedding. “She’ll maybe like that you see’d all these pictures.”

“What are you two doing?” Charlie questioned as she leaned against the door frame.

“I was showing her all them pictures of her.” Connor answered as he looked up at Charlie.

Charlie rubbed her forehead as she sighed. “Right, Connor, you go get your pyjamas out and put them in the bathroom. I’ll be through soon to get you in the bath.”

“But we haven’t finished our soccer game yet.” Connor protested.

“Go on,” Charlie said. “You can play soccer again another day,” Connor sighed lightly as he ran out of the room.

“Is everything alright?” Ruby questioned. “I thought I heard someone at the door?”

“Yeah, it’s was ehm...Chief Superintendent Grieves and Inspector Joyce.” Charlie bit her lip as she looked down.

“Oh eh....what did they say?” Ruby questioned. “I guess it was good if you are still here?”

Charlie exhaled as she walked further into the room, taking a seat on her bed. Ruby sat down next to her and waited for her to talk again. “I’ve been suspended until 1st June, so another 3 months, but that’s all I’m getting.” Charlie took a deep breath. “Guess I should be pleased at that.”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “I mean it does suck that you got suspended but you didn’t deserve to go to jail because of him.” As Charlie heard Ruby talk, she picked up the sadness in her tone, and could tell she was close to tears.

“Are you okay?” Charlie questioned. “I know what Lee did to you but at the end of the day, he was your boyfriend and I’m sure you would have loved him.”

“I did,” Ruby pushed back a tear. “But I’m still forever thankful for what you did, because, I’d probably end up back with him and I deserve better that an abuser. At least, I hope I do.”

“Of course you do,” Charlie said as she tentatively put her arm around Ruby. Ruby rested her head against Charlie’s chest as she took a deep breath. Charlie placed a soft kiss on her daughter’s forehead. “And when the time is right and you’re ready to move on, you’ll find a great guy.

“Well actually, I eh....” Ruby trailed off as she looked back up to her mother. “I’ve been hanging around with Romeo at bit and yesterday we eh....well we kinda kissed....well not kinda, we did a lot of kissing and it was nice...”

“Oh, you and Romeo eh,” Charlie smiled. “I thought there was something between you two when we saw him that time at the hospital.”

“Well yeah,” Ruby smiled. “But then yesterday Rachel let out that I was giving the baby up for adoption and he went awkward and left.”

“Rubes, Romeo....” Charlie trailed off. “How much about his past has he told you?”

“I know about Indi’s miscarriage if that’s what you are going to say.” Ruby said. “So do you think maybe it’s just something to do with that?”

“Maybe,” Charlie answered. “He was crushed when she lost the baby and then he lost her...maybe this is just reminding how of how it felt when he lost his child.”

“So....”

“So, give him some space and I’m sure he’ll come around to see you soon. He’s one of the good guys.” Charlie smiled.

“But we were supposed to meet today and he didn’t show and he didn’t answer his phone.”

“Well there could be some explanation for that, really, just give it a few more days before you write him off, yea?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded lightly.

“So how’s things going with you?” Ruby questioned. “Things with Angelo getting any easier?”

“He signed the divorce papers,” Charlie said sadly. “So I’m officially in that statistic. A divorcée. Couldn’t make her marriage work.” Charlie pushed a tear back from her eye.

“Hey, it’s okay.” Ruby said softly as she rubbed Charlie’s back. “So it didn’t work out with Angelo. You can still find someone and have that happily ever after.”

“No, I’m out of this whole dating game for a long while,” Charlie said. “And besides there aren’t many guys around my age knocking about here is there?”

“Well you look pretty nice with that Brax guy.” Ruby grinned.

“Yeah we’ll he was....” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “Never mind.” Charlie sighed before she looked down to the photo that was sitting on top of the box. It was a picture of Ruby and Charlie, Charlie pregnant with Connor, the pair of them looking really surprised as they looked to Charlie’s stomach. “I remember that day,” Charlie smiled fondly. “Connor’s first kick happened when Angelo was taking that picture.”

“That’s why we look so weird then,” Ruby laughed. “I couldn’t place what we were doing.”

Charlie laughed lightly as she picked up the box and laid it own on the bed next to her. “I eh….after you left, every time I looked at a photo of you I cried. I just wanted the real you back in my life and not just a photograph. Then when I got pregnant my emotions were heightened and I couldn’t even look in the direction of one of the pictures without crying,” Charlie exhaled lightly as she put the photo down in the box and looked back up to Ruby. “It was too hard to see your beautiful face but not be able to hold you. To hug you and even just to hear your voice, so one day I just got rid of them all,” Charlie paused briefly. “But I’d still look at them from time to time. I showed your picture to Lily once as well. She obviously had no clue what I was on about, but I hoped that one day she would meet her big sister.”

“I’m sorry,” Ruby bowed her head down. “I eh….I wish I did meet her.”

“We eh….we’re going to the grave at the weekend, well on Saturday. It would be nice if you could come.”

“Sure,” Ruby smiled lightly. “I’ll let Irene know I can’t work.”

Charlie took a deep breath to compose herself. Talking about Lily still hurt, and she wasn’t sure if she’d ever feel any differently when she was mentioned. “Would you be okay with me telling Connor who you really are?” Charlie questioned. “I think I’ve avoided his questions for long enough.”

“Eh….yeah,” Ruby nodded. “I don’t see any harm in telling him and it’s not like we aren’t trying with us, I mean, we’re…this is….it’s nice where we are at the moment,” Ruby said. “It’s not so awkward now.”

“No it’s not.” Charlie smiled. “And I have Lily’s room all cleared, but I’m yet to take down the wallpaper and curtains and stuff, but if you wanted, and only if you wanted, you could maybe move back in once the room is ready? And if you wanted to stay then you could decorate the room how you wanted it.”

“I think I’m doing okay at Tony and Rachel’s right now,” Ruby spoke tentatively. “One day I’d like to think maybe I could live with you again, but you don’t want to try too much so soon. I mean getting on when see each other a few hours a week is one thing, but living together is going to be totally different.”

“Yeah I understand,” Charlie felt slightly disappointed but knew not to push it and maybe Ruby was right. “But just how do you think staying with them would work when the baby arrives?”

“I haven’t thought that far ahead,” Ruby shook her head. “But who knows maybe in a few months time I will be ready to live with you.”

“So you’re still set on giving the baby up then?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded her head.

“Yeah. Tony and Rachel are going to make great parents.”

“Well for the record I think you would too.” Charlie said and Ruby smiled lightly before she bowed her head down as Connor came running into the room.

“Mummy, I’ve been waiting in the bathroom for ages.” Connor sighed. Charlie stood up to her feet, and Ruby did the same.

“Sorry, I’m coming now.” Charlie said before looking around to Ruby.

“Well I’ll get home, but thanks for tonight. It was lots of fun.”

“Yeah I had fun too Ruby.” Connor grinned. “But I beat you the next time at the soccer okay?”

“Ah I don’t know about that.” Ruby laughed.

“Yeah, I’ll win. You’ll see.” Connor nodded his head.

“Right my little monster let’s you bathed and put to bed.” Charlie said as she wrapped her arms around her son and tickled his stomach.

Connor giggled as he struggled to free himself. “Mummy stop please. I’m tickly there.”

“I know,” Charlie laughed. “That’s why I’m tickling you.”

“No no, please.” Connor giggled.

“Go on, the bathroom,” Charlie said as she let go of him and he ran off. “So I eh had a nice night tonight. We should do it again sometime soon.”

“Yeah, that would be good,” Ruby smiled. “Maybe I could cook the next time.”

“Yeah.” Charlie smiled.

“Mummy.” Connor shouted from the bathroom.

“I’m coming.” Charlie said before she looked up to Ruby. "Oh and Rubes, don’t worry about Romeo, like I said, he’s one of the good ones.” Ruby smiled as she walked with Charlie out of the bedroom and into the hall. “You okay to see yourself out?”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.” Ruby smiled. “Bye Connor.”

“Bye Ruby, see you soon.” Connor shouted from the bathroom.

“See you soon.” Charlie smiled before she pulled her daughter into a hug.

“Yeah, bye.” Ruby smiled before she pulled back and made her way down the stairs, smiling as she thought about starting her life over, with Charlie by her side.

Archived