Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 71

Charlie walked Ruby back into the house, with Romeo walking in behind her. “Mummy you have been ages,” Connor sighed as he ran over to her, pulling on her arm. “Where have you been?”

“Never you mind,” Charlie answered. “Go and get your sister a bottle of water.”

Connor ran through to the kitchen as Charlie led Ruby over to the couch. Rachel had been at the hospital and although panicked at first she quickly had to compose herself and managed to tell Ruby that she was only suffering from Braxton Hicks contractions. “Here you go Ruby.” Connor said as he climbed up onto the couch next to her.

“Thanks.” Ruby smiled as she took the bottle from him and unscrewed the cap and took a drink.

“Where’s you dad?” Charlie questioned as she looked down to her son.

“He went to work,” Connor answered. “But grandma Morag is putting her things up the stairs.”

“Right,” Charlie nodded lightly before looking back to Ruby. “You feeling alright now?”

“Yeah.” Ruby answered.

“Romeo will you play soccer with me?” Connor questioned as he smiled over at him, as he lightly ran his hand through Ruby’s hair.

Romeo looked down to Ruby who nodded her head lightly. “I’m fine, go play with him if you want.”

“Alright bud, but soccer isn’t really my thing, so take it easy on me yeah?” Romeo said and Connor giggled as he jumped down from the couch.

“Nope.” Connor said as Romeo followed him through the house towards the back door.

“He is mad on soccer eh.” Ruby gave a little laugh.

“Just a bit,” Charlie rolled her eyes. “Keep drinking plenty water,” Charlie said encouraging Ruby to take another drink. “You heard what Rachel said.”

“Yeah,” Ruby took another small drink. “So, did you ever have these Braxton Hicks thingys?”

“I didn’t feel them with you or Connor,” Charlie answered. “Just with Lily, felt them pretty bad the last month or two.”

“They feel weird.” Ruby rubbed her stomach as she spoke.

“Yeah they do,” Charlie answered. “But it’s just your body’s way of getting ready for labour.”

Ruby widened her eyes. “Not looking forward to that.”

“It’s all worth it,” Charlie smiled. “Once you start bonding your little one and...” Charlie trailed off realising Ruby wouldn’t get the chance to bond with her child. “Sorry.” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“It’s alright,” Ruby answered. “And you know I’m hoping that one day I will have a child of my own, but right now it’s just not meant to be. I really believe I was meant to give this child to Tony and Rachel.”

Charlie smiled weakly. She still didn’t like the idea of Ruby giving the baby up, but she had to admire her daughter’s strength. “And one day you will make a great mother.”

“You really think so?” Ruby questioned.

“I know so,” Charlie smiled as she rubbed her daughter’s cheek with her hand. “You’re an amazing young woman Rubes and you have a lot of love to give. And you giving Tony and Rachel this child, it shows that.”

“I always planned of having 3 kids,” Ruby smiled as she moved closer to Charlie on the couch, Charlie wrapping her arms around her daughter. “Two boys, and a girl,” Ruby smiled. “She’d be the youngest and the apple of her dad’s eye, a real little daddy’s girl.”

“That’s a nice dream,” Charlie smiled. “Maybe one day you could have that, maybe even with Romeo.”

Ruby smiled. “He’ll make a great dad.”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled and couldn’t help but thinking how great a dad she knew Brax would be and that one day he’d make a woman very happy, she was just sad it couldn’t be her. “I’m sure he will.”

Ruby smiled lightly as she pushed herself up from the couch. “Well I’m going to have a little lie down,” Ruby told her mother. “I’ll see you later.”

“Yeah, see you.” Charlie smiled as Ruby walked off up the stairs. She exhaled as she pulled her mobile from her pocket and scrolled down to his name. She hovered her hand over the call button, before throwing her phone down on the couch and walking through the house to go see her son.

“Mummy, mummy,” Connor shouted as he ran into the room and jumped up onto her bed. “We did you breakfast. Wake up mummy.” Connor pulled at her arm as Charlie groaned as she fluttered her eyes open.

“Morning baby.” Charlie smiled lightly as she sat up in the bed, as she looked up to Morag who was holding a tray of breakfast, and to Ruby who was smiling down at her.

“Happy birthday mummy,” Connor smiled. “How old is you now?”

“33.” Charlie told her son.

“Oh grandma she is getting old.” Connor exhaled as he looked up to her.

“Well I won’t tell you how old grandma is then.” Morag replied, before putting the tray of breakfast down on the bed.

“You’re ancient.” Connor giggled as he cuddled into his mother.

“Connor Ross,” Charlie looked down to her son. “That’s not a nice thing to say about grandma is it?”

“It’s just the truth.” Connor answered as he looked up at Charlie with his puppy dog eyes. Charlie laughed lightly as she ruffled his hair.

“So, what do you fancy doing today?” Charlie questioned.

“Uhm, I don’t know,” Connor shrugged his shoulders. “But can I ask Darryl?”

Charlie pursed her lips together before looking at Morag then to Ruby then back to Connor. “No sweetie, remember mummy told you that she and Brax weren’t together anymore.”

“I know,” Connor bowed his head down sadly. “But you said he can still be my friend. And he is so I want him to come. Please mum.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “It’ll be too late notice to ask him now,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “But I promise I will let you see him soon, okay?”

“Promise promise?” Connor questioned.

“Yes,” Charlie nodded her head. “Now how about you help mummy eat all this breakfast here?” Charlie questioned as she ran her hand over her sons head.

“That bit is for me anyways,” Connor answered as he pointed to the toast with chocolate spread on. “So I will eat it.”

“So, I’m glad you don’t have plans today because I’ve actually booked a birthday lunch for the 4 of us to go to today.” Morag said.

“Oh kept that one quiet,” Ruby smiled. “Where is this meal about?”

“Noir,” Morag answered. “Lovely French place in Reefton Lakes.”

“Noir?” Charlie repeated. “You booked us in at Noir?”

“Yes, and we are going. I will not take no for an answer,” Morag replied. “It’s my treat.”

“I know it’s just....” Charlie trailed off as she saw the look on Morag’s face and sensed that Morag already knew that was the restaurant where Brax worked. “It’s very kind of you, thank you.” Charlie smiled, unsure if she wanted Brax to be working when they got their or not.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone. Hope this one is okay. I don't like it so much, but just needed something before the next one....

Chapter 72

Charlie, Ruby, Morag and Connor walked into the restaurant and immediately Charlie saw him, walking towards them. “Afternoon,” Brax smiled. “I’ll just show you to your table,” Brax picked up some menus before leading them through the restaurant to their table. “Happy Birthday.” Brax smiled as he pulled back the seat for Charlie. She sat down as she gave him a weak smile.

“Darryl?” Connor questioned as he looked up to him with wide eyes.

“Yes mate?” Brax asked as he looked down at him.

“Well mummy said that a Braxton kicked Ruby,” Connor exhaled. “Why did you kick her?”

The table erupted with laughter and Connor looked confused. “Braxton Hicks, sweetie,” Charlie said as she rubbed his head. “Not kicks.”

Connor screwed his face up. “Well what’s them?”

“It’s when she has pains in her tummy because it’s growing for the baby.” Charlie said.

“Oh,” Connor nodded his head. “Why is them called Braxton after you?” Connor asked as he looked up to Brax.

“They’re not named after me bud; it was the doctor who first described them. His name was John Braxton Hicks so now when women are contracting but not in labour, they say they have Braxton Hicks.”

“Is that true?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah, why would I make that up?” Brax replied.

Ruby shrugged her shoulders. “Strange thing to know is all.”

“Yeah well,” Brax exhaled. “I don’t know I just know it for some reason,” Brax said before giving Charlie a smile, and she returned a weak smile back. “So, what can I get everyone to drink?”

“Just water for me.” Charlie answered.

“Don’t you want a glass of wine?” Morag questioned. “After all it is your birthday and I’ll drive back to the bay.”

“Just water, thanks.” Charlie said again as she looked from Morag to Brax.

“Okay, I’ll also have a water.” Morag said.

“Orange juice please Brax.” Ruby ordered.

“Yeah, orange for me,” Connor smiled up at him. “Darryl can you eat lunch with us?” Connor questioned. “It would be so good, please, for mummy’s birthday.” Connor clasped his hands together as if he were praying.

“Can’t mate, I need to work.” Brax exhaled. “But if your mummy says you can maybe we could have lunch on Tuesday because I’m not working then.”

“Can we mummy, please.” Connor pleaded.

“No,” Charlie answered. “Not on Tuesday you can’t.”

“Please mummy it would be so good.” Connor moaned. “I want to see Darryl and you said I could.”

“And you can but just not on Tuesday,” Charlie told him firmly. “Maybe another day.”

“You’ll always just say that,” Connor pouted. “You’re not being fair mummy.” Connor shouted.

“Connor don’t shout at your mummy like that.” Brax said.

“Don’t you discipline my son,” Charlie said as she looked up at him. “Now, we’ve asked you for drinks so can you please do your job and get them?”

“Sure, coming right up.” Brax exhaled as he gave Morag a glance before walking away from the table.

“Why did you bring us here, Morag?” Charlie questioned. “You knew Brax worked here and you knew that we’ve just broken up.”

“This is a nice place to eat.” Morag replied. “And it’s not my problem if you can’t be adult about this.”

“Well it’s a bit hard when you’re in love with someone and you want to be with them but know that you can’t and then you go and throw him in my face.” Charlie shouted before she stood up from the table and ran from the restaurant with Connor chasing after her.

“Mummy,” Connor caught up with Charlie as she stopped outside of the restaurant. “I don’t like when you shout.”

“Sorry,” Charlie bent down to her son’s level and put her hands on his upper arms. “Mummy is just sad.”

“Because you are not with Darryl now?” Connor questioned.

“Yeah.” Chalie answered.

“Well maybe if you let Darryl be your boyfriend boyfriend again you wouldn’t be sad.” Connor said sadly as he put his hands against his mother’s cheek.

“Sweet pea it’s not that simple,” Charlie shook her head. “Mummy wishes it was but it isn’t.”

“Mummy I don’t want to be an adult.” Connor shook his head.

“You don’t? Charlie questioned. “Why not?”

“Well it looks hard,” Connor exhaled. “You and daddy don’t want to be married anymore and now you can’t be with Darryl.”

Charlie laughed lightly. “So are you going to be a kid forever?” Charlie questioned.

“I think it’ll be best.” Connor said and Charlie laughed one again before placing a kiss on her son’s cheek.

“C’mon, let’s go get something to eat yeah?” Charlie smiled as stood up and took her sons hand in hers.

“It looks very posh in there,” Connor screwed his face up. “Do we have to go back in?”

“Yeah, it is,” Charlie answered. “But grandma wants us to have a nice lunch so let’s go inside yeah, I’m sure we’ll find you something, you’re not a fussy eater.”

“No,” Connor sighed. “But I’d just like pizza from daddy’s.”

“C’mon.” Charlie walked back into the restaurant with her son and over to the table to try to enjoy her birthday lunch.

“Hey,” Ruby smiled as she wrapped her arms around Romeo and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “How was your day?”

“Okay,” Romeo smiled. “Better now you are here.”

“That’s a bit corny,” Ruby screwed her face up. “But I think I like it.” Ruby smiled before placing another kiss on his lips.

“How was your day?” Romeo questioned as he pulled back, tucking Ruby’s hair behind her ear.

“Good,” Ruby answered. “We just had a birthday lunch.”

“Nice,” Romeo smiled. “So, what do you fancy doing for the rest of the day?” Romeo questioned.

“No one else is home, right?” Ruby questioned as she ran her hand down his chest, stopping them just short of the top of his board shorts.

“Nope, just me and you here.” Romeo smiled.

“Right, well....” Ruby trailed off as she raised her eyebrows slipping her hand under his shorts and running her fingers along the rim of his boxer shorts. “If you want to...maybe we could go up the stairs?”

“Are you sure you want to?” Romeo questioned. “I don’t mind waiting longer.”

“I want too, if you want too. I am six months pregnant so I’d understand if you didn’t. ” Ruby said and Romeo smiled as he placed a soft kiss on her lips, before letting it deepen, slipping his tongue into her mouth as he stepped backwards, Ruby walking with him, not letting the kiss break. He pulled back and looked into her eyes before smiling, and leading her up the stairs to his bedroom.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 73

It was now Tuesday and Charlie, Angelo, Ruby, Morag and Connor were standing at the grave in silence. Charlie pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek as she remembered her daughter. Connor exhaled as he looked from his mother to his father to see Angelo too, was crying, his eyes all red and blotchy. “Why is everyone crying?” Connor asked as he looked up to Morag who was trying to stay composed. She never was one to show emotion.

“It’s a sad day,” Morag answered. “Remembering Lily.”

“If you remember her happy times it won’t be so sad,” Connor said as he took a step forward and took hold of his mother’s hand. “She was happy when she got cuddles for me ay mummy?” Connor questioned. Charlie gave a gentle nod as she glanced at Angelo.

Angelo cleared his throat. “You were a great big brother,” Angelo said as he ruffled his son’s hair. “You were great with Lily.”

“Well she was nice,” Connor smiled. “It’s so sad she had to go to heaven.” Connor bowed his head down and rested it against Charlie’s body. She exhaled lightly as she began to continually run her hand over his head.

“Yeah, mate, it’s real sad.” Angelo said as he looked up to Ruby who was lightly running her hand over her stomach, as tears looked like they were about to fall from her eyes.

“Do you think I could have some time alone?” Charlie questioned as she glanced up at Ruby and Morag. They both gave her a gentle nod, before Ruby took Connor’s hand in hers and the three of them walked away from the headstone. Angelo gave Charlie an empathic smile before he started to walk away but Charlie grabbed onto his arm, pulling him nearer to her. “You can stay. She’s our daughter,” Angelo gave her another smile before he tentatively wrapped his arm around her, wanting to give her some sort of comfort. Charlie rested her head against Angelo’s chest as her tears became heavier. “Why us?” Charlie questioned. “Why our daughter?”

“I ask myself that very same question every day,” Angelo sniffed back more tears. “I can never find the answer.”

“I can’t believe it’s been a year already,” Charlie wiped her hand over her eyes. “It just seems like yesterday that the 4 of us were really happy together.”

“I know,” Angelo exhaled sadly. “We had some good times together, the four of us.”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered quietly. “You know I didn’t want today to be a sad day,” Charlie said. “I wanted it to be happy, where we remembered and celebrated the precious 3 months that we did get with her.”

“It can still be like that today,” Angelo replied. “But it’s okay to have a little cry too. God knows that we both miss her like crazy.”

“Do you ever wonder what she’d look like now?” Charlie questioned as she pulled away from him and looked up to him. “What she’d like and dislike?”

“All the time,” Angelo answered. “I remember it was a struggle to get Connor on solid foods and I always wondered if she’d be any easier,” Angelo gave a small laugh. “When I see kiddie toys I always wonder if Lily would have liked it. If she’d like to run around outside like Connor does or if she’d like the indoors better, painting or playing with play dough.”

“I think she would have been a painting with mummy kind of girl,” Charlie managed a weak smile as she spoke. “Maybe she could have been the one that would go fishing with you.”

“Yeah, I would have loved that,” Angelo replied as a tear escaped his eye. “Some father daughter bonding time.”

Charlie smiled lightly as she wiped her hand across her eyes. “Guess it’s just all in our dreams now, though, isn’t it?” Charlie said. “We can’t see her first steps or hear her first word, ever, no matter how much we want too.”

“No,” Angelo pursed his lips together, trying to stop the tears falling. “But as you said we had 3 great months with her and we should be thankful we got that.”

“I know, but right now all I seem to be able to think about is how she was so cruelly taken from us.” Charlie said and Angelo exhaled before he wrapped his arms around her, in a hug, which brought comfort to the both of them, as they stayed in the embrace, looking down at the headstone, and thinking about their baby girl.

“You okay?” Romeo questioned as Ruby sat on the couch in his house. “You’ve not said a word since you’ve got here.”

“Sorry.” Ruby said as she looked up to Romeo.

“You’re regretting Sunday aren’t you?” Romeo questioned. Ruby went home on the Sunday night and with Ruby working the morning shift in the diner and Romeo working at night in Angelo’s they were unable to see each other, so this was the first time they’d met since they’d had sex for the first time.

“No, I’m not,” Ruby answered. “Sunday was great, it’s just....” Ruby trailed off as she rubbed her stomach as she felt the baby kick. “Lily died on this day last year and just being up at her grave...I know I never met her but it’s sad and Charlie is an absolute wreck today.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Romeo rubbed Ruby’s arm in comfort. “You could have said,” Romeo said. “I wouldn’t have minded if you cancelled on me today to be with Charlie.”

“She said it was okay,” Ruby answered. “She’s with Angelo, Morag and Connor. I think she...” Ruby took a deep breath. “I think because I didn’t know Lily, you know I wasn’t around when she was here that she doesn’t like me being around too much when it involves her.”

“I’m sure that’s not true.” Romeo said.

“No, it’s fine,” Ruby exhaled. “I understand. We’re still forming a good relationship again and losing a child is something huge, I can’t begin to understand what she going through.”

“Well I’m not trying to compare the two, but pretty soon you’re going to need to give up your child and it’ll be pretty hard for you too.” Romeo said as he lightly rubbed Ruby’s arm.

“I know, but like you say it’s completely different,” Ruby answered. “I want to give up this baby; Charlie didn’t want to lose Lily.”

“I guess.” Romeo exhaled.

“Romeo do you ever think about having kids in the future?” Ruby questioned.

“I didn’t until Indi was pregnant,” Romeo answered. “I would think about the baby being born. I always saw it as a boy. My son. I’d teach him how to surf when he was old enough. We have father son trips, and come home to Indi’s home cooking,” Romeo gave a little laugh. “Silly really,” Romeo exhaled. “Especially when I found out about her and Heath and that the baby might not have even been mine. But I couldn’t help think it was and that somehow me and Indi would get passed it and be together with our child.”

“What changed?” Ruby questioned.

“She wanted to be with Heath,” Romeo answered. “Of course when she lost the baby and Heath moved on to sleeping with some surfer chick she came crawling back.”

“And you didn’t take her back?” Ruby asked.

“Nah, I decided I was better than being second best,” Romeo exhaled. “So once she got the message, she left to go to uni.”

“Well I’m glad in a way that that happened,” Ruby smiled sweetly. “Because now you get to be with me.”

“Yeah,” Romeo smiled as he placed a kiss on Ruby’s lips. “I like that I get to be with you too.” Romeo said as he pulled Ruby into a hug.

Thank you everyone. Hope you like this one....

Chapter 74

Charlie, Angelo, Connor and Morag walked into the diner, Connor with a hand in each of his parents as Morag walked in behind them. Brax was paying Irene for his lunch when he turned around and noticed them, looking like a happy little family. He took a deep breath before marching over to the table, as Connor was climbing up onto the seat, Angelo with his hand on Charlie’s shoulder as he said something to her. “Didn’t waste much time did you?” Brax spat as he glared at Charlie.

“What are you talking about?” Charlie questioned.

“Jumping back into bed with him,” Brax replied. “I saw you looking all cosy leaving your place this morning, Angelo with his arms wrapped around you, and look at you now.”

“No, Darryl you don’t know the right reason.” Connor said as he looked up to him.

“I do,” Brax sniggered. “Probably used me that whole time didn’t you?”

“Darryl,” Morag shook her head. “Don’t do this today.”

“Why?” Brax questioned. “Why is it any different from any other day? She used me and now she’s just going back to using you till she gets bored of you mate,” Brax said as he looked at Angelo. “She’s not worth it; she just messes with your head and then dumps you when things get a little difficult.” Charlie looked up to Brax, both surprised and disgusted at what he was saying. She didn’t think that’s how he saw her at all.

“You have no idea how wrong you are.” Charlie spat and before she knew what she was doing she felt her hand slapping full force against his cheek, before she ran from the diner.

“Mummy.” Connor shouted as he went to get off the chair but Morag held him in place.

“You really are a huge idiot,” Angelo shook his head as Brax rubbed his cheek. “Today marks 1 year since Lily died,” Angelo told him, somewhat angrily. “That’s the only reason we are together and she’s letting me comfort her.”

“Oh God,” Brax covered his mouth with his hand. “I should go talk to her.” Brax went to turn around but Angelo pulled him back.

“You stay away from her,” Angelo spat. “I’ll go.”

“Angelo,” Morag pulled Angelo back, stopping him from walking any further. “I think Darryl needs to go.” Angelo exhaled lightly as he joined his son at the table. Morag gestured for Brax to leave and he walked off, trying to think of what he could say to make it up to Charlie. He walked out of the diner and over to the fencing before the beach to see Charlie leaning against it, tears streaming down her face.

“Charlie I am so sorry,” Brax started. “I just love you so much and seeing you be all cosy and close with him...I....I got jealous. I didn’t realise that today was the first year anniversary of her death.”

Charlie looked up to Brax as she wiped the tears from her cheeks. “I’m sorry I slapped you. I had no right to do that.”

“No, don’t be sorry, I deserved it,” Brax said as he once again rubbed his cheek. “Pack quite a mean slap too,” Charlie gave a weak smile as she looked out towards the ocean. “Charlie is there any way we can -”

“Not today,” Charlie shook her head. “Today shouldn’t be about us. It’s about me remembering my Lily. I can’t talk about us today.”

“I understand that,” Brax exhaled lightly. “Is there any way that you will meet me and talk with me though?” Brax questioned tentatively. It seemed Charlie’s mind was pretty made up, so he wasn’t sure if they’d be able to give things another go.

Charlie took a deep breath before pursing her lips together. “Tomorrow night,” Charlie answered. “Connor sleeps over at Angelo’s on a Wednesday so I’ll be free then.”

“Right,” Brax gave a sort of smile. “Well I am working till 9. So by the time I get away from the restaurant and back to the bay it’ll probably be nearer 9.30. Is that too late for me to come over?”

“No, it’s fine,” Charlie gave a half-hearted smile. “I’ll see you then.” Charlie said before she turned and walked away from him making her way back to the diner, as Brax stood and watched her, a smile forming on his face.

“Romeo?” Ruby questioned as she ran her hand over his bare chest as she rested her head in her hollow of his shoulder.

“Hmm.” Romeo answered as he ran his fingers in small circles around her arm.

“I’m having dinner with Tony and Rachel tonight and wondered if you’d come with me.” Ruby said.

“Yeah, of course I can,” Romeo smiled as she looked down at her. “You don’t want to go yourself?”

Ruby groaned. “Nowadays wherever I see Rachel she has the habit of talking about the baby. I know she doesn’t mean it and she’s just excited but I’d rather not constantly talk about the baby I am giving up.”

“So, you want me there to steer the conversation away from baby talk?” Romeo questioned.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “If you don’t mind.”

“Of course not,” Romeo smiled. “I’d be happy too.”

“Thanks,” Ruby exhaled. “I’m kind of dreading it if I am honest. I’ve sort of been avoiding Rachel since I moved back in with Charlie.”

“Oh yeah?” Romeo questioned. “Any particular reason?”

“I dunno, I.....like I say she talks about the baby a lot and I.....I know she excited and I’m glad I am making her happy but...” Ruby trailed off as she ran her hand over her stomach. “I can feel her move and I... I’m sort of getting attached to the little bub.”

“Oh,” Romeo widened his eyes, fearing this may have happened soon enough. “Well of course you are going to feel attached; it is literally attached to you.”

Ruby gave a little laugh. “But you know what I mean right?”

“Yeah, I know,” Romeo continued to rub her arm as he spoke. “So are you changing your mind on this adoption?”

“I don’t know,” Ruby felt herself welling up with tears as she once again rubbed her stomach. “I don’t want to be a mother yet but just thinking about her I.....” Ruby trailed off as she wiped her hand across her eyes. “I don’t know maybe it’s just all this stuff with Charlie and Lily today that’s making me feel a bit emotional.”

“Maybe,” Romeo said as he placed a soft kiss on her head. “But whatever you decide you’ve got my support, okay?” Romeo said and Ruby nodded lightly. Whether that’s continuing with this adoption or that you want to keep the baby, I’ll be by your side.”

“Thanks.” Ruby smiled lightly as she nestled her head closer into his body, as he once again placed a soft kiss on her head.

Thanks everyone. I hope this one is okay for you..... :unsure:

Chapter 75

Ruby, Romeo, Tony and Rachel were sitting at the table in Angelo’s restaurant. “So, how was your day?” Rachel questioned as she put the glass of water back down on the table.

“Alright,” Ruby answered. “How about yours?”

“Good,” Rachel answered. “Tony and I went into Yabbie Creek and we bought this gorgeous little mosses basket for the little one,” Rachel smiled. “It’s white with yellow lace through it.”

“Sounds nice.” Ruby exhaled as she rubbed her stomach.

“Yeah, we figured it didn’t make sense to buy a cot as we are heading out to Boston soon after the birth.” Rachel said.

“Six weeks,” Romeo said. “You need to stay here for six weeks; it’s not too soon after.”

“Well, soon enough that we don’t need to buy a cot until we get out to Boston.” Rachel said.

“So, Tony, how’s the gym going these days?” Romeo questioned as he looked up to him. “It’s been a while since I’ve been there.”

“Eh, yeah it’s pretty slow right now,” Tony answered. “Not getting much new custom. Usual customers seem to be cancelling their accounts thanks to that new gym that’s opened up in Reefton Lakes.”

“Ah I’m sorry to hear that.” Romeo said.

“Couldn’t have come at a worse time really with us expecting this one,” Tony said as he pointed to Ruby’s stomach. “But thankfully Rachel makes a nice wage so it’s not put us in trouble.”

“No, I guess not.” Ruby sighed.

“But I’ve got a well-paid job in Boston waiting for me, my two sons, daughter-in-law and a new daughter on the way, so life isn’t half bad.” Tony grinned before he looked to Rachel and shared a smile with her, before he leaned forward and gave her a soft kiss on her lips.

“And don’t forget the news Jack told us this morning.” Rachel smiled as she pulled back.

“Rachel, they said they didn’t want us telling people yet.”

“Well Ruby is giving us our daughter, she’s not just people.” Rachel said, and Ruby pursed her lips together as she noticed a glow coming from Rachel.

“Martha is pregnant,” Tony smiled as he looked to Ruby. “So our little one here is going to have a niece or nephew around her age to grow up with.”

“And we’ve put in an offer on the house Tony showed you,” Rachel told Ruby. “Nice swimming pool, quiet suburban street where Tony can teach her how to ride her bike, where she can run around with the other kids. I can’t wait to get out there and begin my life as a mother.”

“That’s great,” Ruby smiled. “She’s really going to have a great life with you in Boston.”

“Yeah,” Tony answered. “And we will be forever grateful,” Tony smiled. “This gift you are giving us, Rubes, it’s....well I don’t think I have the words to thank you.” Ruby smiled lightly as she once again ran her hand over her stomach. She looked at Tony and Rachel and knew she couldn’t back out now. She knew she was making the right choice in giving her child to them.

Charlie took a deep breath before she answered the door. She smiled as she saw him smiling down at her, a bunch of roses in his hands. “Hey, you look gorgeous.” Brax smiled as he stepped into the house.

“Thanks.” Charlie blushed as she took the flowers from him.

“I remembered you liked roses.” Brax said as he followed Charlie through to the kitchen, where she lay the flowers in the sink and turned to face him.

“Yeah you did,” Charlie said quietly as she looked him up and down. He’d came straight from work, so he was wearing black pants and a black shirt, so looked extra smart, but Charlie couldn’t help thinking that she liked him better when he was in his casual combats and a checked shirt. “Thanks and you look nice too.”

“Don’t sound too convinced there.” Brax said.

“Well you look smart but I dunno, I like casual you.” Charlie answered.

Brax smiled lightly. “Yeah, I prefer to be casual too.”

Charlie exhaled lightly, feeling slightly awkward. “So, eh, can I get you beer or anything?”

“No, I eh....I have the car so.....or unless you planned on me staying -”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “You said you wanted to talk, not......that,” Charlie cleared her throat. “So eh,” Charlie tucked her hair behind her ear before she folded her arms across her chest. “Talk about what you wanted to talk about.”

Brax took a deep breath before rubbing his forehead. “I dunno, I....I love you and I miss you.”

“It’s not even been a week yet,” Charlie shook her head. “It can’t have been that bad.”

“So, I guess you haven’t missed me then.” Brax exhaled sadly.

Charlie opened her mouth to talk before exhaling. “I eh....I guess it’s been a bit lonely waking up on my own. You stayed over most nights so I guess I got used to waking up with someone again.”

Brax smiled lightly. “It can be like that again,” Brax said. “I don’t really know what I’ve done wrong if I am being honest.”

“Didn’t use protection,” Charlie replied. “Although I guess that I need to take blame there too.”

“Yeah,” Brax nodded lightly. “We eh....we always did though did we not?” Brax questioned.

Charlie shook her head. “A few times I think we were too caught up in the moment to be safe.”

“Well, we’ll be more careful in the future.” Brax replied.

“Brax it’s not just about that,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s the whole kids thing okay. I know that you want them, and I don’t so how are we going to work?”

“Just because you don’t want them right now doesn’t mean in a year or two that you’ll feel the same,” Brax said. “You may change your mind about this.”

“Are you likely to change your mind?” Charlie questioned. “And tell me the truth. We have to be honest here.”

“I eh.....it would be nice to have a child but if it doesn’t happen for me then that’s fine too. Connor is a great kid and I’d be honoured to be in his life.” Brax said.

“And you’d really be okay with not having a kid because my mind is made up. I don’t want any more children.” Charlie shook her head.

“Right now, Charlie,” Brax said. “I want to be with you. What’s going to happen in the future we don’t know, and whether that’s me, you and Connor or me, you, Connor and child of our own, you -”

“Brax,” Charlie shook her head. “I know.”

Brax pursed his lips together as he felt his heart breaking a little. He wanted to be a father but at the same time, he wanted Charlie in his life. He exhaled as he knew that he had a tough decision to make. “Well maybe if you aren’t going to be the mother of my kids, I don’t want to have them.” Brax was close to tears as he spoke.

“Are you sure?” Charlie sniffed back, excited at the prospect of being with Brax again, but also saddened that he seemed upset that children wouldn’t be in their future.

“Positive.” Brax said as he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Charlie’s waist, pulling her body towards his so it was pressed against him. He leaned his head down and placed a soft kiss on her lips, Charlie responding and letting it deepen. She moved her hands up his back and rested them around his neck as he moved his hand down slightly, letting it rest against her bottom. Brax pulled away slightly from her mouth and began kissing along her jaw line, before moving down to her neck and placing kiss after kiss onto it.

“Mmm, Brax.” Charlie whispered as she pulled herself back from him.

Brax looked up to Charlie and smiled as he cupped her cheek in his hand. “It’s okay, I eh....I have a condom so -”

“Brax no,” Charlie shook her head. “We are not going to rush back into his.” Charlie exhaled. “You should probably just go home now.”

Brax nodded his head, slightly disappointed. “But are we?” Brax paused. “Are we back...”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “We are, but until I get myself sorted I don’t want to have sex.”

“Well what do you mean sorted?” Brax questioned as he rubbed the back of his head, confused.

“I just want to make sure I don’t have another scare or worse,” Charlie told him. “So until I get that done, I don’t want to risk it.”

“Right,” Brax nodded lightly, his hope that Charlie may change her mind about kids in the future slipping even further away “I eh....I’ll be in touch about seeing you soon then.” Brax said as he placed a soft kiss on her forehead, before walking over to the door to leave.

Thanks everyone. Not liking this one at all, but it's something I guess... :unsure:

Chapter 76

Charlie was sitting in the hospital on the edge of the bed, swinging her legs nervously. “Sorry about the wait,” Sid said as he walked into the room. “What can I do for you today?”

“I eh....” Charlie exhaled. “I wondered if that offer of the IUD was still available.”

“Of course,” Sid gave Charlie a light smile. “I eh, I think you are making the right choice.”

“I’ve not really been left with a choice, have I?” Charlie snapped. “You’re refusing to give me what I actually want so this is the only option I actually seem to have.”

Sid exhaled before nodding. “I guess, but nevertheless I still think somewhere down the line in the future you might thank me for this.”

Charlie tucked her hair behind her ear. “Yeah, don’t count on that. My mind is made up and you stopping me from getting this procedure isn’t going to change that.”

“Fair enough,” Sid answered. “Eh, we can fit you with the IUD right now if you want.”

“Yeah, the sooner I am protected from getting pregnant the better,” Charlie replied. “So, today is great.”

“Right, well I’ll find a female nurse who is able to do that for you. Probably be a little more comfortable with a female other than me.” Sid said and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah, thanks.” Charlie answered.

“I’ll go and see if Julie is free.” Sid said as he walked out of the room. Charlie bit her lip as she waited in the room. Her leg shaking nervously as she waited. She exhaled as she thought about Brax, and what she was asking him to give up to be with her. Was it fair? She loved him and wanted to be with him, but there was a nagging feeling in the back of her mind that it wasn’t fair to make him give up his dream of having children, but she was certain she didn’t want to have anymore. She reached into her bag and pulled out her wallet, looking down to the picture of Connor and Lily that sitting there. She ran her finger over Lily’s face as she smiled down at her daughter. “Ah sweetheart mummy doesn’t know what to do. She loves Brax but it’s not fair on him.” Charlie trailed off as the door opened and Julie came into the room.

“Hey.” Julie smiled at Charlie as she closed her wallet and put it back into her bag.

“So, you’re wanting an IUD fitted?” Julie questioned and Charlie nodded her head.

“We’ll you’ve came to the right place,” Julie gave Charlie a smile. “So, there are two different IUD’s we can offer you,” Julie said as she took a seat opposite Charlie. “Has Sid spoken to you about them?”

“Not really,” Charlie shook her head. “He just said he’d get you to do it for me because I’d be more comfortable with a woman. Oh the last time I came he said that it would last 5 years.”

“Right, so he was thinking of giving you Mirena,” Julie said. “We’ll go for that one. It last 5 years and is 99 per cent effective. There are some possible side effects, like headaches, nausea, some lower back pain, breast tenderness, but usually that’s only for the first few weeks to months if ever. But on the plus side it can reduce your menstrual flow by 90 per cent and 20 per cent of users said they’re period stopped after a year.”

“I like the sound of that.” Charlie said and Julie gave her a smile.

“Yeah,” Julie answered. “Also if you and your partner decided a year, two years down the line that you’d like a child then you can come back and we’ll take it out.”

“Right,” Charlie answered. “There’s no chance of that happening but thanks for letting me know.” Charlie murmured.

“Okay, so I’ll ask you to book an appointment for a follow up in about a month, just to make sure it’s inserted properly and doing what it should be,” Julie said and Charlie nodded lightly. “Well if you don’t have any questions we can get you changed and I’ll get that in for you.”

“No, I have nothing to ask.” Charlie shook her head.

“Okay, well, come this way.” Julie said as she stood up and Charlie followed her out of the room to get her IUD fitted.

Romeo was sitting at the desk in his bedroom, looking through the book for his surf school when Ruby woke up, stretching herself over the bed, before looking over to Romeo. “Why are you not sleeping?” Ruby questioned.

“Because it’s the middle of the afternoon,” Romeo laughed. “I don’t sleep then.”

“Well sorry,” Ruby answered with a grin as she walked out of the bed and over to Romeo, taking a seat on his knee, wrapping her arms around his neck. “What you doing then?”

“Well I was trying to do the accounts for the surf school.” Romeo answered.

“Hmmm, when your girlfriend is lying naked in your bed?” Ruby smiled as she raised her eyebrows.

“Well we had our fun but then you fell asleep and you looked too cute and peaceful for me to wake you.” Romeo answered as he put the pen down on the desk and placed his hand on Ruby’s back and rubbed it gently.

“Well I’m not sleeping now,” Ruby smiled seductively as she placed a soft kiss on his cheek. “So maybe you could come back to bed and we could have some more....fun.” Ruby raised her eyebrows before placing soft kisses on his neck.

“We do have high sex drive now don’t we?” Romeo grinned as he ran his hand through her hair.

“Well it’s been a while for me,” Ruby answered. “Until a few days ago anyways.”

“You’ve surely been making up for it.” Romeo laughed.

“Well I can’t help it,” Ruby answered. “I’m pregnant and hormonal and.....I seem to want sex a lot right now. I didn’t think you’d be complaining.”

“I’m not,” Romeo shook his head as he lightly kissed Ruby’s chest. “I’m just aware that the baby is there and I don’t want to hurt her.” Romeo lightly rubbed Ruby’s stomach as he spoke.

“You won’t hurt the baby,” Ruby shook her head. “She’s safe up there.”

“Yeah?” Romeo smiled as he once again kissed Ruby’s chest. “Well in that case,” Romeo grinned as he pushed Ruby from his knee, and stood up, placing a soft kiss on her lips. Ruby was on her tip toes as she kissed Romeo, enjoying the sensation of his hands on her body, his tongue in her mouth.

“Mmm, I love you so much Romeo Smith.” Ruby mumbled as she removed his boxers from his body.

“I love you too Rubes.” Romeo said between kissing her neck softly as he walked her back to the bed.

Thank you so much Sarah, caroline77, Zoe, CharlieAndBrax4Ever, Spotd1, Freakie42, beebee and RoRo90 for the comments. Hope you like this one...

Chapter 77

“Thanks for coming,” Charlie smiled as Brax walked into the house. “How are you today?”

“Yeah alright,” Brax answered. “How are you?”

“Good,” Charlie said. “Eh, so, come and sit down,” Charlie took his hand as she led him to the couch, and they both sat down. Brax looked nervous all of a sudden as he took a deep breath trying to hide it. “I love you, Brax, okay; I know that for sure but -”

“I love you too.” Brax smiled as he lightly squeezed her hand.

“I know, but eh....I also know for sure that kids – more kids – aren’t going to be in my future.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked at Brax, trying to read his reaction but his facial expression was pretty blank.

“I know,” Brax answered. “And I’m still here with you Charlie okay, so doesn’t that prove that I’m happy to give that up for you.” Brax looked down, slightly saddened.

“See, I don’t think you are,” Charlie shook her head. “You look upset at the thought of no children and if we are going to work then we need to want the same things.”

“I’ll get over it Charlie,” Brax said. “Connor is young and I know that he has his dad but when he’s in this house he’ll need someone to play soccer with him and help him with his homework and read him a bedtime story and I’m happy to help with that.”

“And I appreciate that, I really do, but I still can’t ask you give up your dream.” Charlie put her hand on his arm and rubbed it gently.

“I don’t want this to end,” Brax shook his head as he looked up to Charlie. “You and Connor, even Ruby, she’s your daughter too. You are who I want. We can be a family and I believe we can be really happy together. We don’t know what’s going to happen in the future. You might decide you want more children or I might decide after looking after Connor more that I don’t want a child of my own,” Brax gave a little laugh. “But the point is Charlie, we don’t know what’s going to happen and how should we?” Brax questioned. “We are talking about things that are going to come up 2, 3 years down the line. So, let’s not do that right now and just focus on getting to know each other more and just, let’s just enjoy being together,” Charlie pursed her lips together and thought about what Brax said as he rubbed her cheek. “Hmm, don’t break up with me again already.”

“I wasn’t going to break up with you,” Charlie shook her head. “I just wanted to make sure you understand that children won’t happen for us and I want you to be truly okay with that because it’s only going to hurt even more if we need to break up 2 years down the line because of this.” Brax exhaled lightly. He’d be lying if he said he was truly okay with the idea of no kids, but, right now he just wanted to be with Charlie and she couldn’t guarantee that in the future she wouldn’t change her mind. He smiled lightly as he leaned forward and placed a soft kissed on her lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it become a little more passionate. “Mmm,” Charlie smiled as she pulled back from the kiss, and looked into his eyes, that showed his happiness at that exact moment. “C’mon we need to go pick up Connor from school.”

Brax smiled as they stood up from the couch. “Does he know we are back together?”

“No, I thought he’d get a surprise this way.” Charlie said as she grabbed her house keys before taking Brax’s hand into hers and pulling him out of the house.

Ruby and Romeo were lying in the bed, Ruby all snuggled up in the hollow of his shoulder, Romeo with his hand on Ruby’s stomach lightly rubbing it as he felt the baby kicking her. “She’s very active,” Romeo said. “Like her mother right now.”

“Hey,” Ruby laughed as she hit his chest. “I didn’t hear your complaining. Sounded like you were very much enjoying it.”

“Yeah,” Romeo smiled as he placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s head. “In fact if you wanted to go again?”

Ruby laughed lightly as Romeo started kissing her neck. “Mmm as much as I’d love too, I need to get ready to go to work.”

“Mmm, I’ve got a feeling that I might be calling in sick for you.” Romeo grinned as he ran his fingers down Ruby’s arm.

“No no,” Ruby giggled as she pushed herself up on the bed. “Maybe you could come hang out at the diner though. You know if you have nothing better to do?”

“Well, I can think of something very good to do.” Romeo raised his eyebrows as he tried to pull Ruby back down on the bed.

“Romeo,” Ruby screeched as he started to nibble on her nipple. “Stop it. I have to go to work.” Ruby pushed Romeo from herself and got out of the bed, searching for her bra and panties.

“Okay, I’ll come and annoy you there then,” Romeo grinned as he jumped out bed and pulled his boxers on. “You going to come back here after work? Spend the night?”

“No, I’m going home.” Ruby answered.

Romeo gasped. “You mean you do not want another awesome sleepover?”

Ruby laughed lightly. “I do, but I’m going to stay in tonight, see if Charlie fancies a DVD and ice cream and a nice chat.”

“Chat about boys?” Romeo questioned. “Are you going to tell her all the goss about us?” Romeo joked as he nudged her arm.

“She’s my mother so no, not too much info,” Ruby screwed her face up. “But maybe I want to talk to her about you, you’ll never know,” Ruby laughed cheekily as she put her singlet over her head, watching as it stretched out over her stomach. “Ugh,” Ruby sighed as she rubbed her bump. “I need to go buy some even bigger clothes. I’m such a fatty.”

“You’re not fat, you’re pregnant,” Romeo said. “And you look absolutely gorgeous before you start, by the way.” Romeo tied the string on his board shorts before placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“Romeo Smith you know just the right thing to say to keep me sweet huh.” Ruby raised one eyebrow as she stood on her tip toes and kissed his lips.

“They don't call me Romeo for nothing.” Romeo grinned as he took Ruby’s hand and led her out of the bedroom, ready for her to go to work.

Thanks everyone for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 78

Connor ran from the school, his rocket that he and Brax had made a few months previous in his hand. As he saw Charlie was with Brax his face lit up as he picked up his speed, running as fast as his little legs would carry him, crashing into his mother. “Oo...careful.” Charlie said as he rubbed her sons head.

“Mummy why is Darryl here too?” Connor questioned as he grinned up at her.

“Thought he’d help mummy collect you from school.” Charlie answered as they began walking away from the school, Charlie slipping her hand into Brax’s. He looked at her and gave her a smile before they kept walking.

“Darryl you remember when we made this rocket?” Connor questioned, not yet seeming to have noticed his mother and him holding hands.

“Yeah mate I do,” Brax smiled. “It was fun eh.”

“Yeah,” Connor giggled. “Well our space display is been took down now so I got to bring it home.”

“You want to put that up in your room now?” Charlie questioned. “Maybe Brax could hang it from the ceiling for you?”

“Wow,” Connor screeched. “Can you really Darryl?”

“Sure I can,” Brax smiled. “I’d be happy too.”

Connor smiled as he looked around to Brax and it was then that he noticed he was holding hands with his mother. “Mummy is he really?” Connor jumped in excitement. “You hold hands with a boyfriend boyfriend, don’t you?”

“Yeah you do.” Charlie nodded.

“So does that mean he is your boyfriend boyfriend again?” Connor’s voice was all high in his excitement. Charlie and Brax looked to each other and exchanged a smile before Charlie leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Does that answer your question?” Charlie smiled down at her son.

“Yeah,” Connor cheered as he jumped up into Brax, Brax wrapping his left arm around him, holding him up as Connor wrapped his arms around his neck. “I’m so happy, mum.”

“So is mum.” Charlie smiled up at her son as he stayed lifted up by Brax.

“Is you happy too Darryl?” Connor questioned.

“Yeah, super happy.” Brax once again gave Charlie a smile as they continued to walk down the sidewalk, making their way back to Charlie’s place.

“So can you help me with my new project?” Connor questioned.

“Sure I can,” Brax smiled. “What do you have to do this time?”

“We are doing insticks animals,” Connor answered. “And each table got an insticks animal to draw.”

“Insticks?” Charlie questioned. “That’s not a word sweetie.”

“Yes,” Connor nodded. “An animal that there is no more of.” Connor told his mother.

Charlie and Brax both gave a light chuckle. “Then you mean extinct.” Charlie told her son.

“Yes,” Connor widened his eyes. “Insticks that’s what I said,” Connor sighed lightly before shaking his head at his mother. “Well my table all need to draw a woolly mammoth.” Connor exhaled. “Thems were like big woolly elephants with really really big tusks.” Connor told his mother.

“Like Manny from Ice Age.” Charlie told her son.

“Oh yeah,” Connor giggled. “Have you seen that Darryl?”

“No, I’ve not mate.” Brax shook his head as he looked to the boy who he was still carrying.

“Well you need too,” Connor said. “Oh I have it at home so you could watch it tonight then sleepover.”

“Connor,” Charlie felt herself getting redder. “”Please don’t invite Brax to sleepover; you leave that to mummy okay?”

“Okay,” Connor sighed as Brax put him down on the path and he ran up to the door of the house. Brax look round to Charlie and smiled lightly before she leaned forward and placed another kiss on his lips. Brax smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as he wrapped his arms around her. “Darryl stop kissing mummy,” Connor shouted from the door. “You need to come help me with my woolly mammoth.” Brax and Charlie laughed as the pulled back from each other, resting their foreheads together.

“C’mon, the boy needs help with his homework.” Brax smiled as he took Charlie’s hand and led her up to the door, as she pulled her keys out of her pocket and unlocked the door, watching and smiling as Connor led Brax excitedly across the room to the kitchen table to get started on their project.

Charlie was sitting on the worktop in the kitchen as Brax stood before her, his hands lightly rubbing the top of her legs as her hands were resting on the back of his head, as they were in a passionate kiss. “Mmm,” Charlie pulled back and looked up to Brax. “I eh....I don’t want to move back into this too quickly.”

Brax exhaled lightly as rubbed her cheek. “Are you scared to....” Brax trailed off. “Are you scared to have sex with me again?” Brax questioned. “Charlie, we’ll be safe.”

“No, no,” Charlie shook her head. “I eh....I got myself sorted this morning so -”

“What do you mean sorted?” Brax questioned. “You didn’t get sterilised did you?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I wanted too,” Charlie pursed her lips together sensing that it was probably best to tell Brax the truth. “But Sid and Rachel wouldn’t give me the surgery and said I wouldn’t find a doctor who would,” Charlie exhaled. “So, I eh....I got an IUD, so hopefully I’m protected well with that.”

“Well I don’t know much about female contraception, but surely if it’s an option for you it’s got to be pretty good.” Brax said.

“Well I hope so,” Charlie smiled weakly. “A baby is the last thing I want.”

Brax exhaled, saddened. “I know that Charlie,” Brax said as he lightly rubbed her cheek. “And you have an IUD, I’ll use condoms, we’re going to be safe.”

“I know,” Charlie nodded her head. “But it still doesn’t mean that I want to rush into sex. We only got back together yesterday.”

“I know.” Brax nodded. “I see where you are coming from. But we can still do other stuff right?” Brax questioned.

“Mmm yeah,” Charlie nodded. “You can keep kissing me if you’d like?”

“You don’t even need ask,” Brax smiled before placing a soft kiss on her lips, before letting it get more passionate, as their tongues explored each other’s mouths. “Mmm Charlie,” Brax smiled as once again the kiss got deeper and more intense and Charlie ran her hands through his hair. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Charlie replied before they began kissing again, neither of them hearing the door open and Ruby return to the house.

“Oh God sorry.” Ruby closed her eyes as she turned around, Charlie and Brax both feeling embarrassed as they pulled back from each other and looked around to Ruby.

“Hey Rubes,” Charlie smiled as she jumped down from the worktop. “How was your day?”

“Good,” Ruby cleared her throat. “Yours good to I gather.”

“I’ll eh...I go home.” Brax said as he placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s cheek. She gave him a smile before he left the house.

“So, you got back with Brax, did you?” Ruby questioned and Charlie nodded lightly.

“How about we get some ice-cream and have a nice chat?” Charlie questioned and Ruby smiled as she nodded.

“Just what I wanted to do tonight anyways.” Ruby said and Charlie smiled as she walked over to the freezer and pulled out the tub of ice cream.

Big thanks :wub:

Chapter 79

Ruby and Charlie were sitting in the living room, sharing a tub of ice cream. “So, you and Brax eh?” Ruby nudged her mother’s arm. “When did that happen?”

“We got back together yesterday,” Charlie answered. “I love him and I guess.....well we couldn’t really stay apart for long.”

“Aww, well I’m glad, you deserve to be happy and Brax definitely makes you happy.” Ruby smiled before talking a spoonful of the ice cream.

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled lightly, wondering how long the happiness would last as she knew the whole kids debate wasn’t near from over. “So, anyways lady it’s not like you to be home if you’re not working,” Charlie said. “You’ve stayed at his every night since Sunday.”

“Yeah,” Ruby felt herself getting hotter, sensing she was going red in the face. “We’ve took our relationship to the next level.” Ruby spoke quietly as she looked up to her mother.

“Oh I see,” Charlie nodded. “So, you’ve been making up for lost time then.” Charlie nudged her arm as she raised her eyebrows.

Ruby gave a little laugh. “I guess so.”

“You’re really happy with Romeo aren’t you?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded lightly.

“Yeah he’s great. I love him so much and I know we’ve only been together for 5 months but it’s amazing. It just feels so right.”

“Well sometimes when you know you know.” Charlie smiled lightly as she took a spoonful of the ice cream.

“Yeah, I think you do,” Ruby smiled lightly as she felt herself rubbing her stomach. “Charlie,” Ruby pursed her lips together, nervous for what she wanted to ask her. “I eh....you know when I’m giving birth?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded her head. “What about it?”

“I eh....I wanted to ask if you’d be my birthing partner?” Ruby questioned as she looked down nervously.

Charlie pursed her lips her together, and, if she was being honest, she wanted as little to do with the pregnancy as possible, seeing as she wasn’t going to be a part of the baby’s life, but knowing how much it would mean for Ruby if she said yes, and remembering that she said she would support her through this, she knew she needed to say yes. “Of course I can,” Charlie smiled as she tucked her daughter’s hair behind her ear. “But what about Rachel? And Tony? I’m sure they’d like to see their daughter being born?”

Ruby was slightly surprised by Charlie’s comment. As far as she could remember it was the first time that Charlie had referred to the baby as Tony and Rachel’s. “I know but I’m the one who is going to have to give birth and I want you to be there,” Ruby exhaled. “Tony and Rach will be right outside and will see her as soon as she is born.”

“And have you spoken to them about your plans?” Charlie questioned.

“Not yet,” Ruby shook her head. “But it’s my choice so they’ll just need to respect that.”

“Okay, well like I say, of course I’ll be there for you,” Charlie smiled as she lightly rubbed her daughters arm, before she heard a creaking on the stairs and turned to see Connor walking down them, Darryl the lion tucked under his arm. “Hey squirt what you doing awake?” Charlie questioned as he walked over to the couch and jumped up onto her knee.

“I’ve been sick.” Connor answered quietly as he cuddled into his mother.

“I’ll go get you some water.” Ruby said as she pushed herself up from the couch taking the tub of ice cream back to the kitchen with her.

“I don’t like to be sick.” Connor pouted as he rested his head against her chest.

Charlie ran her hand over his forehead, seeing he did have a little bit of a temperature. “No, it’s not nice, is it?” Charlie replied. “I think you’ve just had too much junk food when you were doing your woolly mammoth project with Brax, what do you think?”

“I don’t think so,” Connor shook his head. “I didn’t have too much mummy.”

“Do you still have a sore tummy now?” Charlie questioned.

“A bit.” Connor nodded.

“Were about where you sick?” Charlie questioned as she looked down to her son.

“From my mouth.” Connor answered quietly and Charlie laughed lightly.

“I meant did you make the toilet?” Charlie said and Connor nodded. “Good, well we’ll get you some water and get the basin by your bed in case you don’t make the toilet again, okay.”

“No,” Connor clung onto his mother tighter. “I want to sleep in your bed with you mummy.”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she stood up from the couch, lifting her son up with her. “Okay, just because you’re not well.”

“Yeah,” Connor smiled as Ruby appeared back into the room with a class of water for him, passing it to Charlie, before Charlie walked up the stairs to put her son back to bed.

Ruby walked into the diner and smiled as she saw her boyfriend waiting to eat breakfast with her. “Hey baby,” Ruby smiled as she leaned down and placed a kiss on Romeo’s lips, before sitting opposite him at the table. “How are you today?”

“I’m okay,” Romeo answered. “Missed waking up with you this morning.”

“Aww were you all lonely?” Ruby laughed.

“I was,” Romeo answered. “No one to hug to keep me warm in the night.”

“Well play your cards right today and you might be waking up next to me tomorrow.” Ruby raised her eyebrows and Romeo gave her a smile.

“Did I eh, ever tell you I had a sister?” Romeo questioned.

“We’re talking about bedroom antics and you are thinking about your sister?” Ruby widened her eyes. “Need I be worried here?”

Romeo gave a little laugh. “She text me this morning saying she might be coming to town,” Romeo said. “And it hit me that I don’t think I told you I had a sister.”

“Oh right, eh no you didn’t mention her,” Ruby shook her head. “In fact I don’t know anything about your family.”

“Did you not wonder?” Romeo asked.

“Well yeah but I just figured you weren’t up for talking about them if you never mentioned them.”

“Well, you’re my girlfriend and I love you and you’ve confided in me about Lee and stuff with Charlie, so I think it’s only fair I tell you about my family.”

“Okay,” Ruby gave a little smile, glad that Romeo was opening up to her about his life. He’d always been quiet in that respect, and not that it really bothered her, but she was glad he was going to talk to her. “So, how’s the family?”

Romeo took a deep breath. “Well I have an older sister, Mink. She’s quite a character,” Romeo raised his eyebrows. “And there’s my mum, she’s....well she’s an alcoholic. My real dad skipped out on us when I was a baby and I’ve never known him,” Romeo exhaled, slightly saddened. “Then there’s my stepdad.” Romeo paused and Ruby could see he was uncomfortable at the topic of conversation.

“Romeo you don’t have too.” Ruby leaned forward and rubbed his arm.

“No, I want too,” Romeo smiled weakly. “He eh, he’d get violent when he drank. Used to beat on my mum. That’s what made her turn to the drink I guess. Ease the pain,” Romeo exhaled as he rubbed one hand with the other, fidgeting as he told the story of his past. “When eh...when I got old enough I’d step in. A man should never bring his fist down on a woman,” Romeo shook his head, Ruby seeing the years of anger inside him trying to get out. “So, I’d take the beatings for her.”

“Romeo,” Ruby covered her mouth with her hand. “I’m so sorry,” Then something inside Ruby clicked. The way he’d reacted about Lee, how he said no man should ever be allowed to do that, how he didn’t seem to mind when Lee put him in hospital and said better it was him than Ruby. “With Lee, you eh...” Ruby felt herself welling up. “It makes sense now how you seemed so protective of me when we hardly knew each other.”

“Yeah, well like I say, no man should get away with that.” Romeo spoke quietly as Ruby stood up from the chair and walked over to his side of the table and put her hands on his cheeks and wiped away the lone tear that had started to fall down his cheek.

“Is this why you don’t drink?” Ruby questioned and Romeo nodded lightly.

“Alcohol can make you do some crazy things,” Romeo replied. “I’ve seen my step-dad beat my mother to a pulp because of it, my mother using it to try to numb the pain,” Romeo trailed off as he shook his head. “I’m just not going to go there.”

Ruby gave him a sympathetic smile. “And your step-dad did he...has he been punished or...”

“Yeah,” Romeo cleared his throat. “Like your mum did with Lee, I made sure he’d never hurt mum again.”

Ruby took a step back, slightly shocked. “You killed him?” Ruby spoke in an almost whisper, aware that they were in the diner.

“Yep,” Romeo nodded. “My sister went to juvie. Apparently the police didn’t see it as self-defence and she was stronger, tougher, so she took the blame and I really owe her but I don’t know how to make it up to her.”

“You’re family,” Ruby said. “I’m sure she won’t ask for anything.”

“You don’t know my sister,” Romeo shook his head. “But, we’ll just worry about that if she does come.”

“Yeah I’m sure we will.” Ruby smiled lightly as she placed a soft kiss on Romeo’s lips.

“Thanks for listening.” Romeo smiled as he pulled back.

“Thanks for trusting me enough to tell me.” Ruby smiled before once again placing a kiss on his lips.

Thanks for the comments. :) I have to admit I know what I want to happen but I seem to be having trouble getting there right now so please bare with me. Saying that I can't believe I am about to post chapter 80!

Chapter 80

Connor was lying on the couch, the green blanket that he liked to have when he was ill wrapped around him, as a basin was at the foot of the couch, just in case he needed to be sick again. Charlie had given him dry cereal for breakfast and for lunch he had dry toast with some crackers too, remembering Sid once told her dry foods were good to eat during sickness, but just after his lunch Connor had been pretty sick. “Mummy?” Connor spoke quietly as he looked up to her, as she was putting Madagascar into the DVD player.

“Yes sweetie?” Charlie said softly as she turned to face him, his little face normally so full of colour was as white as a sheet.

“I’ll miss soccer tomorrow, won’t I?” Connor asked sadly.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “But you don’t want to play if you are sick anyways, do you?” Charlie asked and Connor shook his head. “You’ll feel better and will can play the next time though.”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “Can Darryl come and watch the next time?”

“If he’s not working I am sure he’d love too,” Charlie answered as she picked up the DVD remote before going to sit down next to her son. “You’ll have to ask him the next time you see him.”

“Yeah,” Connor answered before taking a deep breath. “I’s really cold.” Connor sounded like he was going to cry as Charlie opened her arm out and Connor sat up and cuddled into her, Charlie wrapping the blanket around him as she rubbed his body trying to warm him up. She leaned down and placed a soft kiss on his head.

“How did you pick this bug up hmm.” Charlie questioned as she ran her hand over his head softly.

“I didn’t pick anything up,” Connor shook his head. “I didn’t want to be sick.”

“Oh Connor you make me laugh,” Charlie laughed lightly. “Has anyone at school been off sick?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “Maisie was off sick then the twins Jordan and Sean at the same time.”

“So there’s a bug going around your school,” Charlie exhaled. “The whole class is going to end up off sick at this rate, hmm.”

“Yeah,” Connor answered quietly as he cuddled further into his mother. “It’s not good. We need to go to school.”

Charlie widened he eyes, surprised at Connor’s comment. “Well you keep that in mind when you start High School.” Charlie mumbled.

“Yeah.” Connor answered as the doorbell rang, before the door opened and Charlie looked up to see Brax walking in.

“Brax,” Charlie looked a little surprise to see him. “Did you not get my text?” Brax and Charlie were supposed to be going out to Noir for dinner but seeing Connor was ill Charlie decided to cancel, with Connor wanting his mummy to stay home and not be looked after by Ruby, so Charlie had told Ruby to go out and meet April, given that Romeo was working at the restaurant.

“Yeah I got it,” Brax answered as he closed the door. “But I thought we could hang out here instead. But if you want me to go home I will.”

“No, it’s fine,” Charlie smiled lightly, glad he’d come around. “I just thought maybe you had something better to do than come sit with me and my sick kid.”

“No,” Brax smiled as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips before sitting next to Connor on the couch. “So bud I hear you are sick?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded as he lay down, resting his head against his mother’s knee and putting his legs over Brax’s. Brax smiled as he looked to Charlie, before putting his hand over his legs. “We is going to watch Madagascar.”

“Oh well I’ll stay quiet then eh.” Brax rubbed Connor’s leg lightly before Charlie sorted the blanket over her son, before once again running her hand over his head. They both looked at each other once again with a smile, before they faced the TV, Charlie hitting play on the remote, and began watching the film .

Ruby knocked on the door and took a deep breath as Rachel opened it, smiling down at her. “Rubes, what a nice surprise, come in.”

“Eh, yeah had something I wanted to talk to you about,” Ruby exhaled. ”Hey.” Ruby waved over to Tony who was sitting on the couch.

“Hey, how are you two doing?” Tony smiled as he looked up to her.

“We’re good,” Ruby answered as she rubbed her stomach. “Although today I think she thinks my bladder is a toy as I haven’t stopped peeing,” Ruby laughed lightly. “But yeah, we’re good.”

“That’s good,” Rachel smiled. “I’m glad you came around actually because I wanted to talk to you about lamaze classes.”

“What about them?” Ruby questioned. “I didn’t really plan on going to them.”

“You don’t?” Rachel sounded surprised as she took a seat next to her husband with Ruby sitting down on the armchair. “But they’ll help you with breathing techniques, increase your confidence to give birth, help you find ways to be more comfortable -”

“Charlie said she forgot all that when it came to having Connor and Lily.” Ruby answered.

“Well just because Charlie did it doesn’t mean you will,” Tony answered. “I know for Kate that it was really beneficial. Especially when she was pregnant with Jack. The classes really calmed her down.”

“Well it doesn’t mean to say that they will for me,” Ruby answered. “Maybe I’ll take after Charlie in that respect.”

“Well how about you go to one and if’s it not for you, you don’t need to go back?” Rachel questioned. “And this way I get to feel a little more involved in my daughter’s life before she gets here.”

Ruby pursed her lips together, suddenly feeling guilty that Rachel probably wanted to go through all that but she wasn’t able too. “Okay, I’ll go to one with you.”

“Thank you,” Rachel smiled. “And it’ll probably do me good to know how to be supportive to you in the delivery room too,” Rachel said. “I know I’ve done it as a doctor but I guess it’ll be a bit different as a parent.”

“In the delivery room?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah,” Rachel answered. “I would have loved to have experienced birth but I know being there in the room watching her being born is the next best thing.”

Ruby pursed her lips together as she looked down. Could she really not have Rachel in the room with her? She could see how much being the room would mean to her, but she really wanted this moment to be only her and Charlie, before the baby got taken away. She knew she needed Charlie there no matter what, but did she want someone else to be in the room? “Yeah,” Ruby answered quietly. “So, when I am supposed to go to these lamaze things?”

“Usually when you are around 7 months,” Tony answered. “At least that’s when Kate went with the boys.”

“Yeah that’s about right,” Rachel answered. “So you still have a couple of weeks yet but I will book you into one on my shift tomorrow.”

“Okay,” Ruby exhaled as she stood up from the couch. “Well I’m supposed to be at April’s so I’ll go and leave you too it.”

“I thought you had something you wanted to talk to us about?” Tony asked.

“Eh. it’s fine. Don't worry it can wait,” Ruby answered. “I’ll see you soon.” Ruby let herself out, wondering if she should change her plans and let Rachel at least into the room to see her child being born.

Archived