Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Thank you Sarah, beebee, RoRo90, Spotd1 and Freakie42. Not liking this one. :unsure: Hope it's okay....

Chapter 31

Charlie tucked her son into bed, after his bath and his story. “Mummy can I have another brownie?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s bed time. You can take one in your lunch box tomorrow though.”

“Ah cool,” Connor grinned. “My friends will all want one. They’s were so yummy.”

“Well if you ask me I think they are too good to share.” Charlie grinned.

“Mummy,” Connor gasped. “But you always tell me to share.”

“I know and you do,” Charlie smiled as she ran her hand through his hair. “But, listen, I’ve got something to tell you.”

“Oh.” Connor widened his eyes.

“You know Ruby?” Charlie questioned and Connor nodded head.

“Yeah, of course I do silly.” Connor laughed lightly.

“Well she is you sister.” Charlie said and Connor opened his mouth in shock as he sat up in his bed.

“Wow,” Connor gasped. “I have a new big sister.”

“Yup.” Charlie nodded. “What do you think about that?”

“It’s so cool,” Connor grinned. “So you and daddy had her first?”

“Well no,” Charlie shook her head. “She’s not daddy’s daughter, just mine.”

“So she has no daddy?” Connor bowed his head down. “That’s sad.”

“Well she had a daddy, a very good daddy.” Charlie smiled lightly as she thought about her dad, Ross. “But he went to heaven.”

“Oh,” Connor answered. “Well we is the same because I don’t have a daddy either.”

“Hey, of course you do.” Charlie said.

“Not really,” Connor sighed. “He’s no likes me anymore. But its okay, I no like him much right now.”

“Are you okay?” Charlie questioned as she rubbed her sons head. “Do you want to talk to me about daddy?”

“Yeah I’m okay,” Connor nodded. “Because I got a new big sister. And she is real nice.”

“She is, isn’t she?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah,” Connor grinned. “But why does she not call you mummy?”

“Well she’s older and...that stuff isn’t important,” Charlie shook her head. “All that matters is she is my daughter and me, you and her are going to have lots of fun together, okay?”

“Yeah,” Connor grinned. “Maybe she could live us?”

“I hope she will one day.” Charlie smiled. “Right, you get some sleep. You’ve got school tomorrow.”

Connor sighed before he leaned up and a kiss on her cheek. “Love you mummy.”

“Love you too squirt,” Charlie smiled as she tucked her son back into bed. “Goodnight.”

“Night.” Connor yawned, before Charlie left her son to sleep.

Charlie was walking along the beach, holding her son’s school bag in her hand as he ran off in front of her with his soccer ball by his feet. “Darryl.” Connor grinned as he ran down the beach, to see Brax as he was coming out of the surf.

“Hey buddy, how are you?” Brax questioned as he put his board down in the sand.

“Good. I got a new big sister.” Connor said excitedly. “Ruby, do you know her?”

“Yeah, I’ve seen her around town.” Brax smiled.

“Connor, c’mon we’ve got to get home.” Charlie said as she caught up with her son.

“But I wanted to talk to Darryl.” Connor argued.

“Well Brax is busy,” Charlie said. “Bianca is coming around for a drink.”

“Can’t I play with Darryl?” Connor questioned. “We can play soccer.”

“I don’t mind if he’s allowed.” Brax said as he looked up to Charlie.

“Please mummy.” Connor grinned as he looked up at her.

“No, sweetie, you can’t,” Charlie said. “Like I said, we need to get home. Bianca is coming around.”

“I don’t need to be at home. She’s coming to see you. I don’t need to be there.” Connor sighed. “Please mummy Darryl is my friend.”

“C’mon Charlie, I’m not that bad,” Brax sighed. “I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just....what I said about that kid is true and I -”

“You lied to me,” Charlie sighed. “You let me believe that you were my friend when all the time you wanted something more.”

“We can be just friends.” Brax said.

“No, no we can’t,” Charlie shook her head. “Not anymore. Not now I know what you really want,” Charlie said as she started to walk away. “Connor, c’mon.”

Connor huffed as he walked up the sand kicking his soccer ball violently up the beach. “Charlie.” Brax said as he stepped forward and took a hold of her arm.

“Please don’t,” Charlie said. “I can’t deal with this right now. It’s too soon. I’m sorry.” Charlie gazed up into his eyes for a second, before she turned around and walked away up the beach to meet Bianca.

Ruby was surprised to find Romeo at the other side of the door. “Romeo, what are you doing here?” Ruby questioned.

“Can I come in?” Romeo questioned. Ruby nodded lightly as she opened the door further and let Romeo walk into the house. “I wanted to apologise for yesterday,” Romeo exhaled. “I eh I was helping Sid out on the farm. I was fixing a fence. I couldn’t get away. I didn’t get signal out in the field. When I got home I called Rachel’s place but she said you were out at Charlie’s.”

“So you could have tried my mobile.” Ruby said.

“I didn’t want to disturb you,” Romeo exhaled. “You and Charlie need to spend time together. It’s important that you fix things.”

“Don’t tell me what’s important,” Ruby shook her head. “You didn’t know me and Charlie back then. You have no clue what our relationship was like.”

“Well no, but Colleen lives here, so I hear things.” Romeo replied.

“Why are you here, Romeo?” Ruby questioned.

“I told you, I wanted to apologies for yesterday. I don’t want you thinking I stood you up.”

“So you were helping on the farm?” Ruby questioned. “I didn’t think it was that kind of farm. Like I didn’t think he had animals or really used it as farm.”

“He doesn’t.” Romeo shook his head. “He’s thinking of selling some of the land. So I said I would go out and help him and Dex.”

“So you went out to the farm knowing you had a date arranged with me?” Ruby questioned.

“Sorry, I didn’t think I’d be as long.” Romeo said. “Look, the point is, I didn’t avoid you because of this baby thing.” Romeo exhaled. “Yeah, I personally think it would be a mistake to give up your child, but it’s not my child and it’s not my choice. And if you want to give up that kid then you’ve got me supporting you.”

Ruby smiled lightly before she stepped closer to him. “You mean that?” Ruby questioned and Romeo nodded his head lightly.

“Of course.” Romeo said as he wrapped his arms around her waist, and pulled her closer to him. “Now how about we have that date now?” Romeo questioned.

“Mmm yeah,” Ruby smiled. “I’d like that.” Ruby said before she placed a soft kiss on Romeo’s lips.

Charlie opened the front door of her house, and Connor ran through the living room and up the stairs to his bedroom slamming the shut behind him. “Someone isn’t happy.” Bianca said as she walked into the house.

“He saw Brax on the beach. He wanted to play soccer with him.” Charlie said as she put his school bag and the soccer ball down in the living room, before they walked through to the kitchen.

“And you wouldn’t allow it because?” Bianca questioned.

“You were listening the other night right?” Charlie said as she flicked the kettle on.

“Well yeah but he’s....” Bianca trailed off. “So he liked you and didn’t tell you....you and Angelo were friends before you started dating right?”

“That’s totally different.” Charlie said as she took the milk from the fridge.

“And how?” Bianca questioned.

“Because I didn’t have a son that he pretended to like to get me into bed.” Charlie snapped.

“Okay, I don’t think that’s what Brax did either.” Bianca shook her head. “I think you’re bothered about this because you like Brax too and you being mad at him is just an excuse because you’re scared to move on.”

“No, Bianca it’s....” Charlie trailed off as she pursed her lips together and turned to face her friend. “You know me too well,” Charlie exhaled. “That’s exactly what it is.”

“So then just give it a go, Charlie.” Bianca said as she rubbed her friends arm.

“I can’t, because I still love Angelo and maybe this divorce....maybe it was a mistake.”

Bianca looked to her friend, who looked completely at a loss at what to do. “I’ll tell you what we’re going to do. You get those coffees made. I’m going to get a piece of paper and a pen and we’ll get to work.”

“Paper and a pen?” Charlie questioned as she screwed her face up. “What are we going to do exactly?”

“You’ll see soon enough.” Bianca smiled as she disappeared out of the kitchen in search for a pen and some paper.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone. :wub:

Chapter 32

Bianca was sitting at the dining table, writing on the piece of paper as Charlie walked over with the coffees. “So, are you going to enlighten me as to what you are doing?” Charlie questioned as she looked down to the table to see Bianca had written Brax at one side of the paper and Angelo at the other, with a line underneath the names, then, pros and cons with a line separating the too.

“A pros and cons list of who you should be dating.” Bianca answered as she picked up her coffee cup and took a drink.

“We’re not teenagers,” Charlie sighed. “Do you not think that’s a bit immature?”

“Well do you have a better idea?” Bianca questioned.

“I do actually,” Charlie sighed. “I swear off dating altogether and once Connor leaves for uni I buy some cats and become the crazy cat lady that everyone is afraid of.”

Bianca laughed. “Don’t think you’d suit the crazy cat lady persona.”

“Anyone can become the crazy cat lady.” Charlie said.

“Well I don’t want to be best friends with a crazy cat lady, so if it’s alright with you, I’d rather help you out of this funk.” Bianca said. “So, what do you say? The pros and cons of dating?”

“Angelo or Brax?” Charlie questioned and Bianca nodded her head. “Okay...” Charlie bit her lip. “Brax is younger than me.” Charlie started and Bianca screwed her face up.

“What kinda con is that?” Bianca said. “So he’s.....three years younger, Angelo was two years younger and that didn’t bother you. Don’t tell me an extra year is a big no-no.”

“Okay then he’s eh....he’s related to the river boys, you know he has a bad family and I don’t want to put Connor into a position where he is going to have all these bad influences on him.”

“Okay....I’ll give you that one.” Bianca said as she jotted bad family down on the paper under the con’s section. “And more cons?”

“Eh....” Charlie pursed her lips together. “This feels wrong.” Charlie sighed.

“Well how about we put the pros of dating? Saying nice things about them?” Bianca said.

“Well Angelo and I have such a history and he gave me my kids so I’m always going to love him for that,” Charlie said. “But right now he’s barely recognisable. I know that we’re both still grieving but the way he’s treated Connor and how he’s blamed him for what happened to Lily...I...” Charlie trailed off. “And Brax is....he’s been so sweet and caring and he’s handsome and we get on, it’s feels comfortable being around him and he does get on great with Connor and Connor seems to really like him as well.”

“So give him a chance. I’m not telling you marry the guy tomorrow, I just think you deserve to be happy after all you’ve been through lately and I think Brax could give you that.”

“But if I still love Angelo how is it fair on Brax?” Charlie questioned.

“Maybe once you start dating Brax you’ll realise you don’t actually love Angelo like you thought you did, but you’re not going to know that unless you give it a go with Brax.”

“Why are you so keen on me dating Brax?” Charlie questioned.

“It doesn’t have to be Brax. You can go on a date with anyone you want,” Bianca said. “I’m not trying to push you into dating if you don’t want too, but I just want to see you happy and I really think you’d get that from Brax. But if you really say you’re not ready then that’s okay.”

“If I go out on a date with him and I don’t feel ready is it really okay? You know get him excited that this might be happening with us, to just blow him off?” Charlie questioned.

“Of course,” Bianca nodded. “Yeah it would suck for Brax, but what you want is what’s most important.”

“If I say I’ll think about it will you get off my back?” Charlie questioned and Bianca nodded.

“It’s all I ask.” Bianca said, just as Connor ran into the kitchen.

“Bee, do you know that I have a new big sister named Ruby?” Connor questioned.

“I do,” Bianca nodded. “She’s nice, isn’t she?”

“She 's the nicest,” Connor nodded. “I’m so happy to have a new big sister. She’s the best one ever. She can play soccer with me on the Xbox and she makes the best peanut butter brownies and she’s pretty and funny.”

“Aww well I’m glad you’re happy at the news.” Charlie smiled down to her son. Connor looked up at his mother as he furrowed his eyebrows before he ran over to the fridge and opened it up. “What do you want sweetie?” Charlie questioned as she walked over to the fridge.

“To play with Darryl but you won’t let me.” Connor frowned.

Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked down to her son, she hated that she upset him, especially given how she knew how Angelo was making him feel at the moment. “Okay, how about I give Brax a call and see if he can come around to play with you for a bit tonight?”

“You really will?” Connor’s eyes lit up.

“Sure I will.” Charlie smiled as she ruffled her son’s hair and pulled the apple juice out of the fridge, before taking a glass out the cupboard for her son and pouring him a glass.

“Thank you mummy.” Connor grinned as he took the glass in his hand before he ran off out of the kitchen again.

“So you’re going to ask Brax over?” Bianca raised her eyebrows.

“I’m asking him over to see Connor.” Charlie said as she pulled her phone out of her pocket, and began to text Brax. Bianca smiled lightly as she saw the smile forming on her friends face.

Ruby and Romeo were walking along the beach, their hands entwined together. “Bagged a guy already?” Dex laughed as he stopped in front of them.

“Well you know Ruby, never was one to take her time.” Nicole spoke coldly.

“Well you aren’t exactly an angel either.” April said as she shot Nicole a glance.

“You’re seriously sticking up for her?” Nicole questioned.

“Well what did she actually do wrong?” April said. “Yeah so she left without saying goodbye to any of us, she had a huge shock to her personal life.”

“So we would have been here for her,” Nicole said. “She didn’t need to run off.”

“I’m sorry,” Ruby sighed lightly. “But being here wasn’t an option. I needed to get away from Charlie for a while.”

“I guess I understand,” Dex said. “But hey, that’s in the past now, so welcome back and you hungry? I’m hungry,” Dex nodded his head. “Fancy something to eat in the diner?”

“Are you paying?” Romeo laughed.

“I’ll pay for my April,” Dex gave his girlfriend a soft smile. “I guess you should be offering to pay for your girl.”

“I wouldn’t say she’s my girlfriend just yet,” Romeo shook his head. “We’re just dating....but of course I can still pay for her.”

“Well if you guys are going to have a little 4-some, I won’t be the 5th wheel. See you at home Romeo.” Nicole said before she turned and walked off the beach.

“I don’t get why she is so mad at me,” Ruby sighed. “If anyone gets those rights I would have said it was Xavier. He was my boyfriend and I just left him.”

“He was dead upset,” Dex said as they made their way up to the diner. “But then he and April got pretty close so you were kinda forgotten about.”

“You slept with my boyfriend?” Ruby gasped.

“No, we didn’t sleep together,” April answered. “It didn’t get far. But we dated for about 6, 7 months.”

“Wow, you and Xav....what else have I missed?” Ruby questioned as they walked into the diner and took a seat.

“Me and Annie.” Dex grinned.

“You and Annie?” But wasn’t she totally obsessed with Jai?”

“Yeah, but Annie freaked out when Jai wanted to start having sex so they broke up. Soon after Jai left for some school exchange in Japan and we’ve never heard from him again and he was only supposed to have been gone for 6 months.” Dex said. “It should be a mystery you know, where oh where did Jai go.”

“Oh, right...” Ruby nodded. “So what happened for Annie and Geoff to leave?”

“Geoff went off on some missionary trip somewhere in Africa and Annie is in Brisbane at uni.”

“So, just you two left from the old gang,” Ruby said. “And well Nicole of course.”

“Yes,” Dex said. “But we did get Romeo and he’s mighty cool.”

Romeo laughed lightly. “You’re a weird kinda guy Dex.”

“Wouldn’t have me any other way though, would you?” Dex questioned.

“Of course not.” Romeo laughed and Ruby smiled lightly as she looked to her friends then Romeo. She was starting up at new relationship and her friends – or well, her friends with the exception of Nicole – were letting her back in their lives and things were Charlie were stronger every day. She’d never been more confident in her decision to come home, until now.

Thank you all so much. :wub:

Chapter 33

“When is he coming mummy?” Connor asked as he bounded down the stairs excited for his play date.

“He’s not sweetie,” Charlie shook her head. “I’m afraid Brax is working.”

“No,” Connor shook his head. “We see’d him on the beach.” Connor jumped up onto the couch so he was sitting next to his mother.

Charlie exhaled lightly as she put the magazine she was reading down on the coffee table and turned to face her son. “I know but he is working now. He was just having a little surf before his shift started.”

“Well maybe someone else can work and he can come play.” Connor suggested as he looked to his mother, saddened that Brax wasn’t going to be coming around.

“I’m afraid not. There’s no one else or he would have been around to see you in a shot.” Charlie smiled lightly as she rubbed her son’s cheek.

Connor stuck his bottom lip out and he bowed his head down. “No-one stays with me forever.”

“Hey, sweetie,” Charlie pulled her son closer to her and wrapped her arm around him. “I’m always, always going to be in your life, and you’ve got Bee, and you’re grandma Morag, and now you have Ruby here for you.”

“Not a daddy though,” Connor shook his head. “He doesn’t love me so he left forevers.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “You’re daddy does love you. He just had to go to help look after his dad. Remember I told you granddad was sick?”

“Uh-huh,” Connor nodded as he sniffed back a tear. “But he has grandma and uncle Paulie to help him. Daddy should be here for us.”

“He’ll be back.” Charlie said as she wiped a tear from her son’s eye.

“He doesn’t love me though,” Connor shook his head. “He hates me because of what I did to Lily.” Connor began crying heavier as Charlie pulled him onto her knee and into a hug.

“Okay, so firstly you did nothing to Lily. It wasn’t your fault. You daddy is wrong and I don’t want you ever blaming yourself.” Charlie rubbed her sons back as he held tightly onto her. “And secondly, your daddy loves you very much. He is grieving right now, so some of the things he’ll say won’t make sense.”

Connor looked up at Charlie, unsure as he wiped the tears from his eyes. “He doesn’t,” Connor shook his head. “Then I thought Darryl could be different and that he’d always like me and not leave me but he is the same.”

“Hey, Brax does like you,” Charlie smiled lightly as once again she wiped her son’s cheek. “But he just can’t come to see you today, he needs to work.”

“You promise he won’t leave me like my daddy did?” Connor questioned and Charlie shook her head as she pursed her lips together.

“I’m sure he won’t.” Charlie smiled lightly.

“And he can be my friend and you will let me see him?” Charlie exhaled lightly as she bit her lip. She didn’t know what was going to happen with her and Brax in the future, but Connor had already began to form a strong bond him, and he did need that male role model in his life if Angelo was no longer going to be around for him, and Charlie knew that Brax would be there for Connor, not just because he wanted to be with her, but she did believe that he genuinely cared for her boy.

“Of course,” Charlie smiled as she lightly rubbed the back of his head. “I promise you.”

Connor smiled as he cuddled back into Charlie. “Love you most in this whole world mummy.”

“Love you most too,” Charlie smiled as she placed a soft kiss on her sons head.

“But mummy,” Connor exhaled as he looked up at her, his tear-stained eyes going all wide. “I wanted to play on the Xbox with Darryl.”

“Well....” Charlie said. “Mummy can play on the Xbox too, you know.”

Connor giggled. “You is rubbish at it.”

“Connor Ross,” Charlie gasped, mocking offence. “You’re so going to get it now.” Charlie said as she started to tickle her son, resulting in him bursting into laughter.

“Mummy....stop..... please.” Connor said between his fit of laughter. “Please stop. I’ll play, I’ll play.”

Charlie laughed as she stopped tickling her son and he jumped down from the couch and ran over to the Xbox. “You need to learn anyways,” Connor sighed as he put the game into the machine and switched the TV to the right channel. “And Darryl will be surprised if you is good.” Connor said as he picked up the controls and walked back over the couch. Charlie took one of the controls in her hand and looked down at her son and smiled as he set up the game.

Ruby and Romeo were walking back to the caravan park where Romeo lived. “What if she is in? Well she will be in, she said she was going home, right?” Ruby said as she stopped walking outside the door of the house.

“Yeah, so, if she starts anything I’ll tell her where to go. No one gets to talk to my girlfriend like that.” Romeo said as he gave Ruby’s hand a reassuring squeeze.

“Girlfriend?” Ruby asked, slightly shocked. “I thought we were just dating?”

“Well I’d like it if you were my girlfriend,” Romeo smiled. “But if it’s too soon to start using that label then...”

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “I’d love to have you as my girlfriend.” Ruby said and Romeo laughed lightly. “I mean it’d love to be your girlfriend.” Ruby laughed.

“Good,” Romeo said as he tucked Ruby’s behind her ear. “Because I’d love to be your boyfriend.”

“Well then that’s that sorted,” Ruby grinned. “Boyfriend.” Ruby smiled as she Romeo bringing his head down for a kiss. She stood on her tip toes, and their lips met, the kiss starting out soft, but soon deepening.

“Mmm,” Romeo pulled back as he took Ruby’s hands into his and walked backwards, and into the house, before placing another kiss on her lips. He let his hands fall from hers and wrapped them around her waist, before lifting her up. They looked into each other’s eyes, both smiling at each other. “You’re so beautiful,” Romeo whispered. “I love your eyes.” Romeo put Ruby back on the floor, as he ran his hand softly down her cheek, the smile never leaving either of their faces. He leaned down and placed another kiss on her lips, again, starting off softly, but soon enough Romeo slipped his tongue into Ruby’s mouth, letting the kiss become more passionate. Romeo started to walk backwards and Ruby followed, as they made their way across the room, their kiss never breaking.

“Mmm,” Ruby pulled back as she bit her lip. “You don’t think this is moving too fast?”

“I dunno,” Romeo shrugged his shoulders. “If you want to wait though, we can.”

“And you won’t mind?” Ruby questioned.

“Of course not,” Romeo said as he once again tucked her hair behind her ear. “I’m not going to push you into anything. Especially given the relationship you’ve just came out of.”

Ruby smiled weakly as once again she gazed into Romeo's eyes. “It’s just...” Ruby pursed her lips together. “This baby....it was....well Lee wanted sex so....” Ruby trailed off as she looked down, embarrassed.

“I’m sorry,” Romeo put his hand on her arm and rubbed it in comfort. “No one should have to go through that.”

“He eh...” Ruby ran her hand over her eyes, pushing back tears that wanted to fall. “More than once.” Ruby pursed her lips together as she was thankful for Romeo understanding what she was saying, without her actually having to say it.

“I’m so sorry.” Romeo felt stupid for just saying sorry again, but he didn’t know what else he could say to her. He’d never been faced with the situation of rape before.

“I eh....” Ruby took a deep breath as she looked back up to him. “I just need more time before I can think about doing that again. But if that means we can’t be together then -”

“It doesn’t mean that at all Ruby. You take as long as you need,” Romeo spoke softly as he pulled Ruby into a hug. He placed a soft kiss on the top of her head and he rubbed her back. “Because I know you’ll be worth the wait.” Ruby smiled lightly as she held tightly onto Romeo and breathed in his scent. She felt safe with him, and she trusted him so much already. She knew she wasn’t going to be pressured, and felt like she was the luckiest girl in the world at the moment, as not only was she forming a good relationship with Charlie, but she had Romeo, and she knew that him being in her life was going to make getting through the next year that much easier.

Thank you everyone. :wub:

Chapter 34

Ruby and Romeo were snuggled up on the couch as they watched Thor on DVD. “I can’t believe you’ve never seen this movie, it’s great.” Romeo said as he ever so lightly ran his fingers over Ruby’s upper arm.

“Lee didn’t let me do much,” Ruby spoke quietly as Romeo felt her moving into him more, wanting that extra support. He took a tighter grip of her, as he placed a soft kiss on her forehead. “I suggested that we go to the movies and see it, but he just laughed in my face.”

“Well you are getting to see it now.” Romeo smiled. “And with great company if I say so myself.” Romeo said and Ruby laughed lightly.

“Jury’s still deciding on that one.” Ruby joked as she gave Romeo a cheeky grin. “But I bet you wouldn’t object if I ask you to the movies.”

“Not at all,” Romeo shook his head. “Is this your way of asking me out on a movie date?” Romeo grinned as Ruby looked up to his face.

“I don’t actually know what’s on at the movies right now. I just figured you wouldn’t object though.”

“Of course not,” Romeo shook his head. “A night out at the movies is always a good one.”

Ruby smiled as she gazed into his eyes for a second before she looked back to the TV screen to watch the movie, resting her head back on down on his chest. “Hey, Romeo I thought I heard someone down here,” Nicole said as she walked into the room. “Oh, you’re here.” Nicole spoke coldly as she looked down to Ruby.

“I eh....I might go home.” Ruby said as she stood up from the couch.

“No, Rubes, stay,” Romeo pleaded. “We were watching a movie.” Romeo followed Ruby as she made her way across the room to the door.

“I don’t feel welcome,” Ruby turned around and glared at Nicole. "So, it’s fine. I’ll see you later.”

“No,” Romeo raised his voice. “You are my guest and this is my house as well as hers. I want you to stay.”

“Sorry,” Ruby shook her head. “I eh...I’m going.” Ruby turned around and walked out of the house. Romeo looked around to Nicole as shook his head.

“What the hell is your problem?” Romeo shouted. “She does not deserve this.”

“She left me,” Nicole shouted. “She was my best friend and I needed her and she just and I didn’t know what to do.”

“What are you talking about?” Romeo asked.

“Nothing,” Nicole rubbed her forehead. “It doesn’t matter now.”

“Just take it easy on her yeah; she’s had a rough time of it.” Romeo said and Nicole shook her head.

“Of course only Ruby’s problems matter. That’s always what she thought. She just up and left and it crushed Charlie and little Connor asked about her for weeks and weeks. Then Ross died and then Charlie lost Lily and I was going through stuff and I needed her but where was she?” Nicole yelled. “Of living it up in the city.”

“You have no idea Nic,” Romeo shook his head. “Try living with an abusive boyfriend. She was abused verbally, mentally, physically and worst of all sexual,” Romeo yelled letting all his frustrations out. “You think now she was off living it up in the city and having fun?”

“I eh...” Nicole placed her hand over her mouth, shocked at what Ruby had been put through. “I didn’t know.”

“No, because you never give her a chance,” Romeo yelled. “She probably would have opened up to you if you just gave her that chance. She doesn’t need this from you Nicole, so whatever grudge you are holding from whatever happened all that time ago, just let it go and be a friend to Ruby, it’s all she wants.”

“I eh....is she....is she staying with Charlie right now?” Nicole questioned.

“Nah she’s at Tony and Rachel’s for now,” Romeo answered. “Look, I’m going to after her.”

“No, Romeo,” Nicole reached her hand out and placed it on his arm. “Please, let me.” Nicole said before she ran of the house, in search for Ruby.

Charlie placed a soft kiss on her son’s forehead before she left his bedroom, and walked back down the stairs and into the kitchen, where she put the kettle on. She pulled a cup out of the cupboard before she opened the drawer and took out a spoon. The sounds of the doorbell ringing brought her to walk through to the living room, and over to the front door. She smiled lightly as she Brax standing at the other side, with a bunch of roses in his hands. “Brax,” Charlie said. “What are you doing here?”

“I eh....these are for you.” Brax answered as he handed the flowers to Charlie. She looked down at them as she took them into her hands. “They’re lovely, thank you.”

“I got these for the little man as well.” Brax said as he handed her the bag of haribo. Charlie laughed lightly as she took them into her hand.

“Do you want to come in?” Charlie questioned and Brax nodded before he stepped into the house. “You just missed Connor,” Charlie said. “He’s just fallen asleep.”

“Ah,” Brax looked down to his watch. It was 8.07pm. “A bit behind that 8pm bedtime schedule tonight.” Brax laughed.

“Well can’t be perfect all the time,” Charlie laughed. “So, eh, why did you come here?”

“I wanted to apologise to you.” Brax said as he followed Charlie through to the kitchen where she lay the roses down on the worktop as she reached for a vase and filled it with water.

“Oh.” Charlie said as she arranged the roses in the vase.

“I like you Charlie, I like you a lot.” Brax said before pausing to take a deep breath.

“I thought you were here to apologise?” Charlie questioned as she leaned against the worktop and folded her arms across her chest.

“I’m sorry,” Brax exhaled. “I eh....I didn’t mean for you to find out the way you did that I liked you. I can see how it would look like I was only using Connor to get with you, but I swear that kid is great and I’d be happy to be in life even if I didn’t have you.”

“I believe you,” Charlie said quietly. “I think I....” Charlie took a deep breath before biting her lip. “I know I like you but I feel like right now, it’s too soon for me to move on. I’m still in love with Angelo and it wouldn’t be fair on you if I was to start something up with you while I was in love with another man.”

“I understand,” Brax nodded. “So is this a case of not never, but just not right now?”

“I think so,” Charlie answered nervously. “But, I’d understand if you don’t want to wait. Because right now I don’t when I’m going to be ready to start up a new relationship. I mean Angelo and I had been together almost 8 and a half years. So I was 24 when we started up, I haven’t been on a first date in so long.”

“Well I agree that first dates are pretty nerve-wracking.” Brax laughed. “But technically, you could say we’ve had our first date already.”

“The movies?” Charlie questioned. “But my son was there, I mean I wouldn’t exactly class that as a date.”

“We’ll I’d say it could be,” Brax smiled. “That felt pretty comfortable right?”

“Yeah it did.” Charlie smiled.

“So then we’ve had our first date already.” Brax smiled. “Nothing to be nervous about any more.”

“Well if we are going to date, we’ll need to have dates without Connor and then our safety blanket will be gone and welcome to nervousness.” Charlie said and Brax laughed lightly. “But anyways, I’m sorry, but right now I can’t be more than your friend.”

“I can do friends.” Brax smiled. “How about I take you and Connor on that bowling trip he wanted to go on?”

“Ehm...yeah we could do that.” Charlie smiled as she nodded her head at Brax.

“Great, well you just tell me when you are free and I’ll hopefully be off work, and if not I’ll see if Dave can find cover for me.”

“Ehm well Connor has school so we can’t really go into the city on a school night,” Charlie answered and Brax nodded understandingly. “This weekend Morag is down visiting, so it’s probably not going to be do-able until next weekend.”

“Great, I tell Dave tomorrow I can’t work next weekend.” Brax said. “And we can do stuff through the week, if you wanted. Hang out. It’s what friends do, right?”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled. “And I’m sure Connor would love that....So eh, can I get you a coffee?” Charlie questioned and Brax nodded.

“Would be good thanks.” Brax smiled as he watched Charlie preparing the coffees. Although he wished that they could be more than friends right now, he understood that Charlie wasn’t ready to start up a new relationship, and being friends with her was better than nothing, and he was sure that she would be worth the wait.

Thank you beebee, homeandaway13, Sarah, Spotd1, RoRo90, Sabrina, Zoe, soph1303 and AvrilRP212 for the comments. Unfortunately this will be the last chapter I am able to post until I get back from my holidays. Hope its okay. :)

Chapter 35

Nicole stood outside of Tony and Rachel’s place, nervous for the conversation she was going to have. She exhaled lightly before knocking on the door. “Nicole,” Tony smiled as he opened the door, but the smile quickly fell as he saw the look her face. “Are you okay?” Tony questioned.

“Yeah,” Nicole cleared her throat nervously. “Is Ruby in?”

“She is,” Tony answered. “She’s in her bedroom. You can go through if you want.” Nicole smiled lightly before giving Tony a questioning look. “Last door on the left.” Nicole gave him a weak smile before she walked down the hall, and knocked quietly on Ruby’s door.

“Come in,” As Nicole heard the sounds of Ruby’s voice, she took a deep breath before walking in the door. “Oh Nicole....I didn’t expect you.”

“I eh...I wanted to apologise,” Nicole stood close to the door as Ruby stayed sitting on the bed. She put the magazine down to the side, and looked up at Nicole, listening to what she wanted to say. “I’ve been a bitch to you since you got back and I didn’t give you a chance.” Ruby stared blankly at Nicole as she walked further into the room, and took a seat on the chair at the desk against the wall.

“A chance to what?” Ruby finally spoke as she looked around to Nicole.

“I dunno,” Nicole shrugged her shoulders. “A chance to explain I guess.”

“Didn’t think you cared anymore,” Ruby exhaled. “But eh, thanks for the apology, I guess.”

“I....Romeo told me what happen to you. I -”

“He had no right,” Ruby shook her head. “He should have kept his mouth shut.” Ruby said, feeling slightly angry towards her boyfriend. She trusted him and he’d blabbed to someone else.

“I don’t think he meant too,” Nicole shook her head. “He was mad at me and he was just trying to stick up for you.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t know already anyways,” Ruby said. “Most people in the bay know. You know things here never do stay a secret for long.”

“Yeah,” Nicole answered as she rested one of her hands against the desk. “I guess I just switched off when it came to you, if I am honest.”

“Why?” Ruby questioned. “I mean, I know I left pretty quickly without saying goodbye to anyone, but, really, did I really do anything that bad?”

“I eh....a few days before you left, my dad told me he was going to confess to a killing that happened when he was in the SAS. On the day that you left he did and he went to prison. A few weeks later Geoff and I broke up and I just felt so alone.” Nicole bowed her head down as she spoke quietly. “I wanted you to be there for me. You’d know what to say and I...I missed my best friend. I needed you.”

“I’m sorry,” Ruby said. “It must have been a hard time for you as well.”

“Well probably not as hard as finding out your sister is your mother, but, yeah,” Nicole pursed her lips together as she nodded her head. “It wasn’t a fun time for me.”

“I’m sorry,” Ruby said weakly. “I eh....I guess I just wasn’t really thinking about anyone else. I mean I couldn’t have been. I just left without giving Chalie, Connor, Angelo, Xavier, you, anyone a thought.”

“Well maybe we could just let the past stay in the past?” Nicole questioned. “You’re home now and if Charlie is welcoming you back then I’m pretty sure I can let the past go too. It’d be nice to hang out with you again. If you’ll forgive me.”

“Of course,” Ruby smiled lightly. “I should be the one asking for forgiveness.”

“Well how about we say we both forgive each other?” Nicole questioned.

“Sure,” Ruby smiled before a silence hit the room for a while. “So,” Ruby eventually spoke again. “Do you visit your dad?”

“I go into the city once a month,” Nicole nodded lightly. “I used to stay with my mum but she’d become too interested in her new boyfriend so that didn’t last long. But going to the prison to see my dad is nice.”

“Yeah I bet,” Ruby said. “And I’m sorry about you and Geoff. I always thought you were great together, what happened?”

“We were just always arguing.” Nicole sighed. “It wasn’t fun anymore. So we decided to end it.”

“Ah well, plenty more fish in the sea.” Ruby smiled.

“Yeah,” Nicole nodded lightly. “So maybe we could go out for a drink and a chat?” Nicole questioned. “Angelo’s does a wine and tapas deal on a Tuesday night.”

“Tapas sound good.” Ruby said as she stood to her feet. “But, I’ll pass on the wine.” Ruby said as she felt her hand running lightly over her stomach.

“Sure I can’t tempt you?” Nicole questioned as she stood up from the chair.

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “I best not.”

“Okay.” Nicole nodded lightly. “I won’t force you.”

Ruby smiled lightly, deciding not to tell Nicole just yet about the pregnancy. She was only 9 weeks, so the risk of miscarriage was still higher, and out of respect to Tony and Rachel, she didn’t want to tell everyone, making it seem like she was excited or wanting to keep the child. “I’ll just grab my wallet.” Ruby said as she picked her wallet up from the desk and put it into a bag. “Ready?”

“Yeah,” Nicole smiled before she pulled Ruby into a hug. “And welcome home.”

“It’s nice to be home.” Ruby smiled as she wrapped her arms around her, returning the hug.

Charlie and Connor were making the familiar walk to Connor’s school. Connor’s little hand wrapped tightly around his mothers, as she carried his lunch box in her other hand. “Mummy are you still not working?” Connor questioned as he walked with a slight skip in his step.

“No, I’m not,” Charlie answered. “Mummy took a long holiday so she isn’t working again until June.”

“Wow mum that’s for ages,” Connor grinned in astonishment. “Maybe we could go on a holiday.”

“Really?” Charlie questioned. “What about your school?”

“Eh...” Connor scratched the side of his head as he screwed his face up. “April holidays.” Connor grinned as he looked up to Charlie.

“Ahhh,” Charlie nodded her head. “And where would you like to go?”

“Uhm....” Connor shrugged his shoulders. “Somewhere nice.”

“I see,” Charlie nodded. “Well maybe we could go somewhere.”

“And Darryl?” Connor questioned.

“No,” Charlie laughed lightly. “Darryl can’t do everything with us.”

“But you said this morning,” Connor sighed. “You said, you did mummy.” Connor nodded his head.

“Said what exactly?” Charlie questioned, as she looked down to her son, perplexed.

“That Darryl would be spending time with us.” Connor answered.

“Yeah, and he can,” Charlie nodded. “But it doesn’t mean he can come on holiday with us. I mean he will be hanging out. You know, going for coffees with us, or to the park or the beach. We’re going bowling with him next weekend.”

“Yeah, but holiday is still hanging out,” Connor argued. “So he can come.”

“Well I haven’t said we can go on a holiday yet,” Charlie said. “We’ll have to see, okay?”

“Okay,” Connor sighed. “But we could ask Ruby too. It would be fun.”

“Yeah, I think a holiday could be just what we need sweetie, but mummy has to think about it, okay?” Charlie said as they stood outside of the school gates.

“Uh-huh,” Connor nodded his head. “Love you mummy.”

“Love you too squirt,” Charlie ruffled his hair before she bent down and placed a kiss on his cheek. “You have a good day at school and I’ll pick you up at 3.” Charlie smiled as she handed him his lunch box before she watched Connor running into the playground. She exhaled lightly as she walked away from the school, seriously thinking about what Connor said about a holiday. After everything that had happened with them lately, maybe a little break was just what they needed.

Charlie walked into the surf club and walked over to the stairs and went up them, walking into Angelo’s restaurant. “Charlie,” Dave smiled as he watched her walking up to the bar. “Angelo sent you in to spy on us?” Dave laughed. “I know you might be separated, but you know -”

“Angelo and I are now divorced and I haven’t heard from him since he came to see me over the weekend.” Charlie replied.

“Oh I’m sorry I eh -”

“It’s fine. Is Brax working today?” Charlie questioned as she took a seat on the bar stool, and it was then when she saw Brax filling up the beverages fridge.

“I sure am,” Brax smiled as he stood up to face Charlie. “Never out of this place me.”

“Except last night you mean?” Charlie laughed. “When you left early?”

“We’ll keep that one quiet from Angelo though eh,” Dave said. “Right you’ll be fine here for a few hours yeah?” Dave questioned and Brax nodded lightly. “I need to go meet with some supplier. Completely mucked up our delivery.”

“No worries mate,” Brax nodded. “I’m sure I’ll can handle it.”

“Cya Charlie.” Dave said and Charlie gave him a lightly smile as he walked away and out of the restaurant.

“So, to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?” Brax smiled as he picked up two glasses and lay them down before him.

“I’m bored,” Charlie exhaled as she rested her elbow against the bar top before resting her head against her hand. “So, needed to find someone to talk too.”

“And you thought of me,” Brax grinned. “Can I get you a drink?”

“Lime and soda please,” Charlie smiled and Brax gave a slightly nod of the head before putting some ice into the glass, before preparing her drink. “And all my friends and Ruby are working so you were technically my last choice.”

“Ahh I’m hurt.” Brax mocked offence as he put his hand over his heart and Charlie laughed lightly. “So, anyways, what have you done so far today?”

“Took Connor to school, did the grocery shopping, went down to the court house, did a load of laundry, sat and twiddled my thumbs for a while and now here I am.”

“Well you can’t have always been bored when the little man was at school, what did you use to do?”

“Took care of Lily.” Charlie said sadly as she bowed her head down.

“Charlie I’m so sorry, I -”

“It’s fine,” Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked back to Brax. “I had Lily to take care of then after her passing I threw myself into work, but now I don’t even have work to keep me busy and Angelo and I are finished so I don’t have his company either, I just...sometimes I feel a bit lonely, I guess. Especially now when Connor’s at school and I don’t have work.”

“Well I’m always here to keep you from being bored.” Brax smiled.

“Yeah cos you aren’t supposed to actually be working.” Charlie replied.

“Do you see any customers in here right now?” Brax questioned and Charlie had a quick look behind her before turning back to face Brax as she shook her head. “Well then, help you out of your boredom I must,” Brax grinned before he took a drink of his juice. “So, you said you were at the courthouse. Is everything alright?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Just things to do with the divorce and changing my surname back to Buckton.”

“I heard you mention the divorce to Dave. Sorry.”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she played with the straw in her drink. “I think now he’s signed the papers things will be pretty straightforward.” Charlie exhaled. “We still have to go to the court house and sort out custody of Connor and child support and who gets the house that kind of stuff but at least the process has been able to start. And I guess we need to sort out the joint account at the bank as well.”

“Again I’m sorry,” Brax said softly. “But that should keep you occupied for a while right?

“Yeah, because sorting out your life after a divorce is thrilling. I can’t wait to do it,” Charlie rolled her eyes. “And it depends on when Angelo gets back from Melbourne.”

“Well I hope it’s soon for your sake.” Brax smiled lightly and from the look on Charlie’s face, he sensed she wasn’t entirely comfortable talking about the divorce with him. “So, have you had any lunch yet?”

“Eh no,” Charlie shook her head. “Not yet.”

“Great, because I’m starving. How about we eat together?” Brax questioned and Charlie bit her lip, unsure.

“What like a date?” Charlie questioned.

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “Like two friends going out for lunch.”

“Sure,” Charlie exhaled. “Sounds good.”

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. :wub: Hope this one is okay...

Chapter 36

“Mummy its Grandma Morag,” Connor grinned as he looked out the window and saw Morag getting out of her car and walking up the driveway. “She’s coming,” Connor ran excitedly over to the door as Charlie opened it. “Grandma.” Connor grinned as he flung himself forward wrapping his arms around her waist.

“Hello Connor,” Morag smiled as he lightly stroked her hand over his light brown hair. “How have you been?”

“Good,” Connor smiled as he pulled back from Morag and let her walk into the house. “How is you?”

“I’m very well thank you,” Morag smiled as she placed her bag down next to the couch. “And how is Charlie?”

“I’m okay,” Charlie said as she gave Morag a smile. “Connor, why don’t you take Morag’s bag up to your bedroom and if you haven’t done so already you finish getting it cleaned so Morag can stay in a nice tidy room.”

“Okay.” Connor picked up her bag before he ran off up the stairs.

“So, how have things been?” Morag questioned. “Has Angelo agreed to this divorce yet?”

“Oh,” Charlie rubbed her forehead head. Morag was one to get straight to the point of things. “Yeah, but he went to Melbourne at the beginning of the week so it might be a while before he gets back and we can get things sorted.”

“Right, well if you need a lawyer...”

“I know,” Charlie nodded lightly. “So can I get you a coffee?”

“Yeah please,” Morag answered as she followed Charlie through to the kitchen and over to the dinner table, where she saw a catalogue with bedroom furniture open on the table. “Redecorating?” Morag questioned as she pointed down to the catalogue.

“Eh it’s for Ruby’s bedroom,” Charlie answered before she took a deep breath. “It’s about time I let go of Lily’s room. I have to accept she’s not coming back and it’s time I let go.”

“Well if you think you are ready.” Morag gave her a comforting smile.

“I don’t think I’ll ever be ready,” Charlie said quietly as she flicked the kettle on before lifting two cups from the cupboard. “But it needs to be changed. I can’t keep her bedroom there forever. Especially now Rubes is back in the bay. I would love for her to live with me again at one point.”

“It would be nice,” Morag smiled. “How is it going with Ruby?”

“Baby steps,” Charlie replied as she pulled the milk from the fridge and poured it into the cups before she reached for the coffee. “But, yeah it’s going okay so far.”

“Good,” Morag smiled lightly. “Ruby tells me you’re not too keen on the adoption.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head as she put the milk back into the fridge before lifting the sugar bowl down for the unit and putting a spoonful into her cup. “But she is 18 and it’s her choice. All I can do is support her.”

“You think you’ll be able to?” Morag questioned.

“I have too,” Charlie answered. “How do you even know about the adoption? How do you even know about the pregnancy? You’ve just got here.” Charlie said as she poured the boiling water into the cups before walking over to the table and placing a cup down in front of Morag.

“Ruby called me almost 2 weeks ago now and told me,” Morag answered. “She wanted me to get the papers and make all this legal.”

“I see,” Charlie nodded lightly as she sat down at the table. “So are you going around there this weekend then?” Charlie asked.

“Well considering what tomorrow is I told her we’d have to see how things go here.” Morag answered.

“I’ll be fine,” Charlie answered. “I mean obviously I’m dreading tomorrow, even more so now Angelo isn’t going to be here to help with comfort, but I’ll have Connor here with me and he has no idea how much he helps by just being himself. You know, he helps me so much even when he isn’t trying too.”

“Well I guess I could always go around and talk things through with them tonight.” Morag said before taking a drink of her coffee. “If that’s okay with you.”

“Of course it is,” Charlie answered. “You don’t need to be with me all the time.”

“Well no I guess not.” Morag said just as Connor ran back into the kitchen.

“Mummy my toys are all away,” Connor smiled. “So Grandma won’t stand on my toys in the night.”

“Good boy.” Charlie smiled as Connor climbed up onto her knee.

“Grandma did you bring me any presents this time?” Connor grinned sweetly up at Morag.

“And why would I bring you a present?” Morag questioned.

“Well you did one time you came,” Connor nodded his head. “Maybe uhm....the beginning of February.”

“Ah yes, but that was because it was your birthday.” Morag answered. “And a grandma needs to buy her favourite grandson a nice present for his birthday, doesn’t she?”

“Yeah,” Connor answered with a small laugh. “So did you bring one for Lily?” Connor questioned. “Because it’s her birthday tomorrow ay mummy?” Connor turned his head up to face Charlie as he spoke.

“It sure is,” Charlie smiled lightly already dreading have to live through tomorrow, but the first birthday would always be the hardest to get through, after the first anniversary of her death which was now only 3 months away. “But Lily is in heaven, so she can’t really get presents there.” Charlie explained to her son.

“No, but we will get flowers to take to her grave.” Morag said and Connor gave her a soft smile.

“Can I draw a picture for her grave?” Connor asked.

“Oh I think that would be lovely.” Morag smiled.

“Cool. I’ll go do it now.” Connor jumped down from Charlie’s knee and ran off back up the stairs. Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked back to Morag. She knew tomorrow was going to be hard, but was thankfully that Connor, Ruby and Morag were going to be there for her. She took a deep breath before taking a drink of her coffee.

“Morag,” Rachel smiled as she answered the door of the house. “Nice to see you.”

“Yes,” Morag exhaled as she walked into the house, where she saw Ruby and Tony already sitting around the table. “Ruby long time no see.” Morag spoke dryly.

“I know. Too long.” Ruby smiled weakly as she stood up from the table and walked over to Morag and gave her a quick hug.

“So, let’s get this adoption sorted.” Morag said as she sat down on the table and pulled some documents from her bag.

“Is Charlie not coming?” Ruby questioned as she sat back down in her seat.

“No,” Morag shook her head. “She’s staying at home with Connor. She couldn’t get a sitter.” Morag answered. “Not that I think she tried much.” Morag mumbled.

“She could have brought Connor here.” Ruby sighed.

“Oh Ruby she doesn’t want to be a part of this,” Morag raised her voice. “You must know she doesn’t approve of your choice.”

Ruby bowed her head down, saddened. “Right, well, we should just get stuff moving.”

“Okay, so there are several different types of adoption that you can have. You can have an open adoption if you’d like.” Morag said before looking around the table and Ruby, Tony and then to Rachel.

“And what’s an open adoption?” Tony questioned.

“You and Rachel would still be mum and dad and the choices of how you raise the child would be entirely up to you, but Ruby would be involved very much in the child’s life, known as her tummy mummy, or even just as an aunt or possibly a big sister type role, spending time with her child and -”

“Whoa, no no no,” Ruby shook her head. “Can’t we just do this old school?” Ruby asked. “I don’t want this child. I’m not ready to be a mother and I know that Tony and Rachel will give this child – their child – an amazing upbringing. I want to do this as old school as we can. I have the baby, they look after it, and I have nothing to do with it.”

“Well that might be pretty hard considering the size of the town you are living in,” Morag answered. “You could bump into them numerous times a day.”

“Well actually, Tony and I have been talking about that,” Rachel said apprehensively. “And we are considering a move once the baby gets here. You know, making a fresh start as a family.”

“Where are you thinking of moving too?” Ruby questioned. “Sydney, Melbourne?”

“A little further afield,” Tony answered before looking around to Rachel who nodded lightly as she bit her lip worryingly. “Boston.” Tony said.

“Oh...well it makes sense,” Ruby answered. “Jack, Martha and Lucas live there.”

“Yeah, so we just want all of our family to be together,” Tony said. “But if you feel it’s too far and want to do this open adoption, well -”

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “This child is yours and you can take her wherever you want.”

“In the case of moving to America, then we could, if you wanted, have a semi-open adoption in which Tony and Rachel could send you updates regularly on the child.”

“No Morag,” Ruby shouted, frustration growing inside her. “I’ve told you. Old school adoption.”

“Okay,” Morag said. “I’m just letting you know that the option is there if you wish.”

“I don’t.” Ruby shook her head.

“Right well legally Ruby has 6 weeks after the birth to change her mind.” Morag said as she looked from Tony to Rachel.

“Okay.” Tony nodded.

“And then after that?” Rachel questioned as she felt her hand moving under the table and taking hold of Tony’s.

“Then you can move anywhere in this world that you wish.” Morag answered. Tony and Rachel looked round to each other with a smile. Although they’d talked a lot about the adoption over the previous few weeks, now a lawyer was getting involved and taking care of all the legalities it was becoming more and more real for them.

“So is this really going to happen for us?” Rachel asked Ruby unsurely.

“It’s really happening. I know for sure I’m not changing my mind. You’re going to be parents.” Ruby and and once again Tony and Rachel looked around to each other smiled, knowing that in less than 7 months time they would be holding their baby in their arms.

Thank you Zoe, Freakie42, Sarah, Spotd1, beebee and RoRo90 for the comments. :wub: Hope this one is okay. :unsure:

Chapter 37

Charlie was sitting in the hospital, holding her almost 1 hour old baby daughter in her arms. Her daughter’s big blue eyes scanning the room around her, with her little button nose, just like Ruby and Connor’s, and her dark little curls, just like Ruby had had. She was the perfect mix of her siblings, and her mother, and Angelo couldn’t be happier. He’d said that his little girl was going to be gorgeous as she’d luckily taken after her mummy. Angelo had gone to collect Connor from Kindergarten, excited to tell him that mummy had given birth to his little sister. As Charlie sat in the room alone with her daughter, the huge smile she had never left her face. Although she’d kept it a secret during her pregnancy, she’d wanted a daughter so badly. She didn’t get the chance to raise Ruby as her daughter and although she loved Connor more than anything, she liked the idea of having pink and girly toys around the house again. “You’re so gorgeous baby,” Charlie cooed as she lightly rubbed her daughter’s forehead. “I love you so much already, and you’ve got an amazing big brother in Connor. He’s going to love you and take care of your real good and of course daddy loves you too.” Charlie smiled lightly as the door opened and Connor came running into the room with Angelo walking in behind him.

“Wow a baby.” Connor ginned as Angelo lifted him up on the bed so he was sitting next to Charlie and looking down at his new baby sister.

“What do you think of her?” Charlie asked as she smiled down at her son.

“She really pretty,” Connor smiled as he very gently rubbed her forehead. “What’s her name called?”

“She doesn’t have a name yet squirt,” Angelo answered from the chair next to the bed. “We thought maybe you would like to help us decide.”

“Really, me?” Connor gasped. “I really can help?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “We’d love to hear what you think.”

“She’s very pretty so a real nice one.” Connor said as he scratched the side of his head. “Uhm....” Connor exhaled as he tried to think of something. “Oh I know,” Connor put his hand in the air like he was answering a question in class. “What were them ones at Uncle Paulie’s wedding?”

“What were what?” Angelo questioned feeling slightly confused.

“The nice ones that Auntie Ana was holding.” Connor said. “The green and white things.”

“Ah her flowers.” Charlie answered. “I’m pretty sure they were Lilies.”

“Yeah, that’s it,” Connor nodded his head as he looked down at his baby sister who had fallen asleep in Charlie’s arms. “Lilies Flowers be her name. Lilies Flowers Rosetta.” Connor grinned as he looked up at his mother.

“Maybe just Lily will do,” Charlie smiled as she looked at Angelo. “What do you think?”

“Lily Rosetta,” Angelo smiled as he looked down at his daughter. “I think it fits her perfectly.”

“Me too,” Charlie grinned. “Good choice squirt.” Charlie said as she lightly ruffled Connor’s hair. Connor giggled lightly before he bent down and placed a soft kiss on Lily’s forehead. Charlie looked up to Angelo with a smile on her face, and he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her lips, before the four of them sat there together, one happy family.

“Mummy,” Connor’s voice brought Charlie away from her memory. She looked down at the picture of her daughter she was holding in her hands and lightly ran her hand over it, trying her hardest to hold back the tears. She placed a soft kiss on the picture before placing it down on her bedside table. This was a step up for Charlie. Normally the picture would go back in the box and sit under the bed, until she wanted to look at them again, but Charlie felt ready to start bringing the pictures back out. “Mummy,” Connor said again as he ran into her bedroom. “Ruby is down the stairs.” Charlie smiled lightly as she pulled her son closer to her. She tried to talk but no sound came out of her mouth, so instead, she stood up from the bed and took her sons hand in hers, before picking up the little pink teddy with a white and pink checked bow around its neck and walked out of her bedroom and down the stairs to see Morag and Ruby both sitting waiting in the living room.

“Charlie,” Morag said softly as she stood up from the couch, with Ruby doing the same. “Are you ready to go?”

Charlie nodded lightly as Connor picked up his drawing from the coffee table and handed it up for Charlie to look at. “It’s lilies. The flowers. Because she is a lily flower.” Connor said and Charlie smiled down at her son as she pulled him closer to her, wrapping her arm around him in a hug.

“It’s lovely. You did a good job.” Charlie’s voice was barely audible but she feared if she spoke any louder, she would break down in tears and she felt she couldn’t, at least, not yet.

“And we can leave if for her at her grave?” Connor questioned and Charlie nodded lightly before taking a deep breath.

“Okay, let’s go.” Charlie said before the four of them left the house.

Charlie, Morag, Ruby and Connor all got out of the car and walked along the row of graves, until they came to the end one. Charlie stood slightly in front of Ruby and Morag, with Connor taking a place in front of Charlie, Charlie placing her hands on his shoulders in an act of comfort, if more for her that for him. The gravestone was black and shaped as a teddy bear, the writing gold.

Lily Rosetta

March 6th 2011 – June 9th 2011.

Much loved daughter and sister

Sleep tight our little angel.

Sleep tight our little angel. Sleep tight our little angel. As Charlie read the epitaph over and over a tear rolled down her cheek. Ruby, upon seeing this, took a step forward, and placed her hand onto her mother’s arm. In this case, Ruby felt actions were much more powerful than words. Charlie placed her left hand up on top of Ruby’s as she looked down to her and gave her a weak smile of thanks. Taking a deep breath, Charlie stepped forward and knelt down in front of her daughter’s grave and placed the little pink bear down. “Happy birthday Lily,” Charlie said in a whisper. “I miss you so much and not a day has gone by where you are not in my thoughts,” Ruby wiped a tear from her eye as she stood and watched her mother talking to her deceased daughter. Her mother was normally so strong and together; but today, understandably, she was far from that woman. Ruby watched as Charlie traced over the gold writing of her daughter’s name. “My little Lily, my little flower, my little angel.” Charlie whispered as she pursed her lips together, letting more tears roll down her cheek.

“Can I give Lily my picture?” Connor questioned as he walked forward an put his hand onto Charlie’s shoulder.

“Sure you can.” Charlie tried to sound happy when talking to her son, but it was hard.

“I hope you like it Lily,” Connor said as he put the picture down in front of the grave. “It’s lily flowers just like you Lily.”

Charlie leant her head forward and rested it against the gravestone as her tears got heavier. “Hey Connor why don’t we go and find some stones so that picture doesn’t fly away?” Ruby questioned as she walked forward and took his head.

“Is mummy okay?” Connor questioned. “She looks really sad.”

“Yeah, she’s just sad about Lily today.” Ruby said before she walked off with Connor. Morag took a few steps forward and placed her hand onto Charlie’s shoulder.

“I’ll give you some time alone.” Morag said before she walked back over to the car, to wait until Charlie was ready.

“Lily,” Charlie cried as she sat back up and ran her hand over her daughter’s name. “It’s not fair. Why did you have leave me? We should be celebrating today. Me, your daddy and Connor. Auntie Bee-Bee, April and Morag. We should be having a party for your first birthday, not crying by your graveside,” Charlie took a deep breath as she tried to calm herself down. “It’s just not fair. It’s not fair baby,” Charlie wiped her hand across her eyes as she exhaled. “And I’m so sorry that me and daddy couldn’t make it work. I love him so much but too much has gone on. And I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” Charlie once again wiped the tears from her face, but it was no use as they continued to fall from her eyes. “Mummy is never going to forget you,” Charlie shook her head. “And she’ll be back to visit you soon.” Charlie said before she just sat there thinking about her daughter for a while, and all the happy memories that she had with her.

Charlie, Morag, Ruby and Connor walked into the diner after being at the graveyard. “Charlie,” Irene smiled as walked over to the table. She knew what today was, but of course she wasn’t about to say anything to Charlie. “How are you today?”

“Not bad,” Charlie answered as she took a seat to the table. “How are you?”

“Keeping busy,” Irene answered. “So what can I get you today?”

“Latte please.” Charlie answered.

“Chocolate milk.” Connor grinned up at Irene.

“Strong black.” Morag answered.

“Peppermint tea please.” Ruby answered and Irene smiled lightly before she walked off to make their order.

“Irene,” Colleen squawked as she ran over to her. “What do I say to Charlie?”

“Nothing,” Irene answered. “She’s probably having a hard day as it is and she doesn’t need you making it worse."

“Well I want to be nice and neighbourly,” Colleen answered. “You know, show I’m thinking of her.”

“Take this tea over for Ruby and this black coffee for Morag and say nothing to Charlie.” Irene said as she put the cups into Colleens hand. Colleen sighed lightly as she walked over to the table and put the drinks down for the women.

“Charlie,” Colleen smiled. “I eh...I just want to say I’m thinking of you today. And poor little Lily, taken so soon.”

“Thanks for that Colleen,” Morag said. “Now if you wouldn’t mind brining the rest of our order.”

“Although I hate how you and Angelo are divorcing,” Colleen exhaled. “Little Lily would like to think her mummy and daddy would be together forever.”

“Colleen that is quiet enough.” Morag raised her voice, angry with Colleen’s choice of words.

“I eh...I’m going to get some air.” Charlie said as she stood up from the table and ran from the diner, she kept running until she reached the surf club and ran up the stairs and into the restaurant.

“Charlie?” Brax questioned. “Are you okay?”

“I’m sorry,” Charlie cried. “I eh...I shouldn’t have come here.”

“Hey, no it’s fine,” Brax answered as he rubbed her arms. “We’re not busy. What’s wrong?”

“Everything,” Charlie cried. “Just everything.”

“Hey, it’s alright, come here.” Brax said as he pulled Charlie into a hug. She held onto him as the tears rolled down her cheeks.

Thank you Zoe, beebee, caroline77, Sarah, Freakie42 and Spotd1 for commenting. :wub: I really dont like this one. :( I know what I want to happen but I'm a bit lost in getting then at the moment. :(

Chapter 38

Brax had moved Charlie into the office, so it was more private for her to talk. She was sitting down on Brax’s chair, Brax resting against his desk as he sat in front of Charlie rubbing her arm comfortingly. “So, do you want to talk about anything?” Brax questioned.

“Am I doing the right thing?” Charlie questioned as she wiped her hand over her eyes, dabbing away her tears.

“What do you mean?” Brax questioned confused. “The right thing with what?”

“Angelo,” Charlie said quietly. “Maybe divorcing him isn’t the right thing to do. I know that I hate how he is with Connor and how he left when I needed him most, but he is grieving himself and maybe he just needed space to get over this. I.....maybe I was too hard on him. I love him so much and I know that he loves me too.”

Brax exhaled lightly as he rubbed his forehead. What answer was he supposed to tell her? He liked Charlie, he really liked Charlie, so by telling her one thing, he’d get his wish and would one day be her boyfriend, but if he told her his other option, then he’d lose Charlie, but she could be happy with the man she loved, and Connor would be with both of his parents. “Charlie,” Brax bit his lip. “I can’t tell you what to do, okay, not when....not when I feel the way I do about you. I would only be doing it for my benefit, perhaps robbing you of what you really wanted. So what I think you should do is what this tells you too.” Brax spoke softly as he put his hand over his heart.

“It eh...I don’t know what it says,” Charlie cried. “I think....a part of me wants to get back together with Angelo, but then there’s this other part of me that wants to see what could happen with us.”

Brax smiled lightly. “You’ll work it all out. A decision like this is never going to happen for you overnight. Just take your time and you’ll come to the right decision.”

“I feel like I’ll be letting Lily and Connor down if I don’t give things another go with Angelo.”

“Look, I think today you’re feeling pretty emotional as it is, you know its Lily’s birthday and I think that’s enough for you to deal with,” Brax exhaled lightly as he rubbed away a tear from Charlie’s cheek. “So why don’t you put this to the side for today because you don’t want to get yourself into any worse of a state that you are already in, do you?”

Charlie shook her head as she sniffed back her tears. “I’m sorry that I came to talk to you about this. Especially when I know how you feel.”

“Hey, first and foremost we are friends, and friends are here to listen and offer advice. Even if it might have been a bit rubbish.” Brax laughed lightly.

“It wasn’t rubbish.” Charlie smiled weakly. “You’re right. I’m not in the best place to be thinking about this today. Today should be about Lily and nothing else.”

Brax smiled as he gave her hands a reassuring squeeze. “How about I get you drink? Settle you a bit?”

“No, I eh.....no thanks.” Charlie shook her head. “I should get back to Connor and Rubes and Morag,” Charlie stood up from the chair and walked over to the door, before turning back around to face Brax. She took a deep breath before she stepped forward and stood on her tip toes and placed a soft kiss on his cheek. “Thank you.” Charlie said before she walked out of the office as Brax brought his hand up and rested it softly against his cheek, the smile never leaving his face.

“So, are you sure Charlie doesn’t mind you being here?” Romeo questioned as he put the blanket down on the grass, before they both sat down.

“She said it was fine,” Ruby answered as she watched Romeo opening the picnic basket. “And I can always go back around to hers after this date.”

“Yeah, I’m sure you can,” Romeo smiled as he handed Ruby a glass of juice. “So, probably a bit of a silly question but how was she today?”

“A wreck,’” Ruby sighed. “But I guess it was to be expected.”

Romeo nodded lightly before he rubbed his forehead. “I don’t really know what to say,” Romeo exhaled. “I know Indi lost my baby – at least, I’m saying it was my baby – and it was horrible, but this child – Lily – she was a real baby, she was alive and to have had her for 3 months and then for her to just have been ripped away,” Romeo pursed his lips together as he shook his head. “I can’t begin to imagine what she’s going through.”

“You and me both,” Ruby exhaled. “But I think me being there was enough for her.”

“Yeah, I’m sure it would be,” Romeo smiled lightly as Ruby got herself comfy, leaning her head against his chest as he wrapped his arm around her. “So, how are things going with the adoption?”

“Uhm...” Ruby exhaled. “Okay, I guess. I’m not really sure how they can go at this stage....I mean Morag has started to sort things out.”

“So, you’re sticking to adoption then?” Romeo questioned.

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “Why is this a problem?”

“No not at all. It’s not my choice to make. I just wanted you to know that if you did want to keep the baby that you’d still have me,” Romeo smiled at his girlfriend. “You know I’d stand by you and be a father to the child.”

Ruby smiled lightly as she felt herself choke up a little. “That’s really sweet, and thanks for letting me know that I’d have your support, but...” Ruby pursed her lips together as she lightly ran her hand over her stomach. “This child belongs to Tony and Rachel. They are going to her parents.”

“I really admire your strength.” Romeo smiled before rubbing her arm.

“I’m fine now,” Ruby answered. “I’m not even showing yet, I can’t feel the baby inside me. I know this will get harder for me through the pregnancy but I know that I am doing the right thing by this child.”

“I sure you are,” Romeo exhaled. He honestly didn’t know if Ruby was doing the right thing or not, but he knew he was saying what Ruby wanted him to say, what she needed to hear right now. “And I’ll be there for you every step of the way. If you need some to shout out your frustrations too, someone to hit out at, I’ll be there.”

Ruby smiled at the sweetness of Romeo. “Hopefully I won’t need to do that, but you really are a great guy. I think I’m lucky to have found you.”

“Nah, I’d say I was the lucky one.” Romeo smiled before placing a soft kiss on Ruby’s head.

Charlie and Morag were sitting on the couch, back at Charlie’s house. Connor was playing out in the back garden, and Charlie and Morag were looking at Lily’s baby book. Charlie ran her hand gently over the picture of her daughter in her little yellow bathtub, being held by her daddy and Connor had the bottle of baby shampoo in his hand, ready to help wash his sister’s soft brown hair. “She loved bath time,” Charlie smiled fondly. “Not like Connor when he was a baby, he used to hate it,” Charlie gave a small laugh. “She smiled the most when she was in the water. Splashing her little clenched fists in and out of the tub. It used to annoy Angelo,” Charlie sniffed back a tear that wanted to fall out of her eye. “Especially because he was usual dressed for work when she’d splash him. Connor told him to not be a Mr Grumpy and it was only water and it would dry.” Charlie laughed lightly. “I miss those days. Were all four of us were together and happy. I’d give anything to have that back.”

“Unfortunately no matter what you do, you won’t can ever get that back.” Morag spoke softly.

“That’s not entirely true,” Charlie exhaled. “I know that nothing will give me Lily back, but for Angelo and I it’s never too late and we can get back to what we had.”

“Is that what you want?” Morag questioned.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know what I want. Yesterday I was sure I wanted to continue on with this divorce, but today, I....if I’m not thinking about Lily I’m thinking about Angelo and wanting to be back with him.”

“Well divorce was never meant to be easy.” Morag told her.

Charlie sniggered. “Like I don’t know that,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I don’t know what to do, Morag.” Charlie shook her head as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“No one else can tell you I’m afraid,” Morag spoke softly as she wrapped one arm around Charlie, allowing her to fall into her for some comfort. “You need to decide what the right thing to do is. Not only for you, but for Connor as well and don’t automatically think that the right thing for him would be for you to stay with Angelo, because sometimes, as hard as it may be to accept, it could sometimes the best thing to do if you did separate.”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she wiped her hand over her eyes. “God, life can be so hard sometimes.”

“I know, and lately your life has proved harder than most, but things have to sort themselves out.”

“Well I hope for Connor’s sake it’s soon,” Charlie exhaled. “It’s not fair for him to have a mother like me.”

“Charlie, Connor hasn’t suffered at all because of this. You’ve still been a marvellous mother to that kid, and today, I’ve seen a spark back in him, you know, even with all that Angelo trouble lately, he’s happy and smiling.”

“I think that’s Brax,” Charlie said. “Connor adores him.”

“The man who works in Angelo’s restaurant?” Morag questioned.

Charlie nodded. “He’s been hanging out with us lately,” Charlie said. “Connor’s really taken to him.” Charlie smiled fondly as she thought of Brax, and Morag heard the tone of Charlie’s voice changing, making her sound happier when talking about Brax.

“And is Connor the only one who likes Brax?” Morag questioned.

“No,” Charlie answered Morag honestly taking her slightly by surprise. Morag half expected her not to be honest with her about what she thought of Brax. “I like him. He’s been a great friend to me lately. I like him like more than just friends, I think, but that’s just another added complication isn’t it.”

“Oh Charlie,” Morag rubbed her arm. “Everything will slip into place. I promise.”

“I know.” Charlie nodded. Knowing that eventually things would fall into place, but the question was, when?

Thank you so much everyone. :wub:

Chapter 39

It was Sunday morning and Charlie and Connor were in the kitchen, making mars bar cake. Connor carefully cut the mars bars into pieces, under the watchful eye of Charlie. “Mummy I haven’t seen daddy in ages.” Connor exhaled as he put the knife down and looked up to his mother.

“That’s because he is in Melbourne,” Charlie answered. “Remember I told you he had to go and help look after Granddad’s restaurant.”

“Yeah but before that,” Connor answered. “He was being rubbish.”

“I know he was,” Charlie spoke softly at her son as she put the cut up mars bars into the pan. “But daddy didn’t mean it, he was just sad about Lily.”

“Well you is sad too but you is nice with me,” Connor sighed. “But I still want to see daddy again. I miss playing with him.”

“I’m sure he misses playing with you too.” Charlie said as she put the pan onto the hob, and switched it on, as Connor pushed a chair from the dinner table over to the cooker so he could stir the mars bars. He took the wooden spoon from Charlie and put it into the pan, watching and waiting for the mars bars to begin to melt.

“So I can see him again?” Connor questioned as he moved the mars bars in the pan.

“Of course you can sweetie,” Charlie smiled as she ran her hand over his head. “You’ll always be able to see your daddy.”

“Good,” Connor smiled. “Maybe he will be better when he gets home and not shout so much.”

“Yeah I’m sure he will.” Charlie smiled softly.

“Mummy when will we see Darryl again?” Connor questioned. “It’s been fun playing with him.”

“Eh...we are going bowling with him next Saturday so then I guess.” Charlie answered as she walked over to the cupboard and took out the rice crispies.

“Mum. No no no,” Connor shook his head. “That’s too long.” Connor continued to stir around the mars bars which were now melting into a gooey mixture.

Charlie laughed lightly. “You want to see him sooner than that?”

“Yeah,” Connor answered. “Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thurs-”

“Oh Connor I think that’s a bit much. Poor Brax having to see us all that time.” Charlie said as she had a quick look into the pan, to see that the mars bars were almost all melted.

“He likes us,” Connor giggled. “He’d like to spend all them times with us.”

“Oh you think he would?” Charlie questioned.

“Yup,” Connor nodded. “He likes us.” Charlie smiled lightly as she turned the hob off and handed the rice crispies to her son.

“You want to pour them in?” Charlie questioned and Connor nodded his head as he took the box in his hand.

“How many do I pour?” Connor asked as Charlie took the spoon in her hand.

“Keep going till I tell you to stop.” Charlie said and Connor poured the cereal into the pan as Charlie began to stir.

“Darryl could have some mars bar cake if he came to play.” Connor grinned.

“Okay you can stop now,” Charlie said softly as she took the cereal box from him and put it to the side on the worktop. “You think Brax would like mars bar cake?” Charlie questioned.

“Uh-huh,” Connor nodded. “Everyone mummy, everyone loves mars bar cake.”

“Ah I see.” Charlie said as she spooned the mixture from the pan into the tin before laying the pan back down on the hob and handing the spoon to Connor. He grinned, knowing exactly what he was allowed to do.

“Mummy don’t we need chocolate for the top and we can cut up another mars bar into little bits and put even more on the top.” Connor said as he put a spoonful of the small amount that Charlie left for him to eat now, into his mouth.

“Yeah but I thought you’d like to eat that little bit first,” Charlie answered as she took another pan from the cupboard and put it down on the hob before putting on the kettle to boil some water. “How’s it tasting?” Charlie questioned as she pinched a little bit from the pan.

“Yummy,” Connor giggled. “This is going to be real good cake. I like that you can cook now mummy.”

“Oi cheeky.” Charlie tickled her son’s sides and he leaned into her, not wanting to fall off the chair. Charlie smiled at the sounds of her son’s laughter. It reminded her of Lily and the cute little laugh that she had started to do, just a couple of weeks before her death.

“But....but.....but it...it good,” Connor spoke between the giggles. Charlie placed a soft kiss onto Connor’s temple before she leaned across and lifted up the boiled kettle and poured the boiling water into the pan, before lifting across the glass bowl with the broken up pieces of chocolate in it, and placing the bowl into the water, to melt the chocolate. She lifted up the a second wooden spoon and handed it to Connor, who put the first spoon into the now empty pan and began to stir the chocolate to melt. “So can you ask Darryl over for some cake?”

“We’ll see.” Charlie answered as she watched her son, patiently waiting for the chocolate to melt.

“Hey Morag, how was lunch?” Charlie questioned as Morag walked back into the house, from having lunch over at Alf’s place.

“It was interesting,” Morag replied. “Colleen joined us and she let me know what you hadn’t been telling me.”

“What do you mean?” Charlie questioned, slightly worried for what Morag was about to tell her.

“You know, how you failed to tell me that you murdered Ruby’s abusive boyfriend.”

“Oh.” Charlie bit her lip.

Morag raised her eyebrows. “Oh is all you have to say?”

“I....” Charlie exhaled lightly as she rubbed her forehead. “I would have told you if I needed a lawyer,” Charlie answered. “But I didn’t want to worry you otherwise.” Charlie said as she looked up to her step-mother who looked rather furious.

“Oh Charlie, what happened?”

“He was going to shoot her....she’s my baby and no-one gets away with hurting her. I would have done whatever it took to protect her.” Charlie said, feeling herself choking up at the love she felt for her daughter and how much she wanted to protect her, no matter what had happened in their past. “So if that meant getting punched in the face a few times - you know getting a black eye and a cut lip - then pulling that trigger....then so be it."

“And the action the police took? What about your job?” Morag questioned. “And his family?”

“I haven’t heard anything from his family,” Charlie shook her head. “I haven’t even thought about them. As for my job, I’m on suspension until June but that’s all.”

“Well I would say you were rather lucky then.” Morag answered. “It could have gone a lot worse.”

“I know, and I’m forever thankful that it didn’t. That I’m still going to be here to see my little boy grow up, when I’ve took a child away from someone else, but if I didn’t do something, then he could have taken Ruby away from me and I’d just got her back, I couldn’t let that happen.” Charlie raised her voice, the emotion eager to burst out of her.

“I understand,” Morag nodded. “It was just risky that’s all.” Morag said as Connor came running down the stairs.

“Grandma,” Connor said excitedly. “We made mars bar cake this morning, it’s yummy yummy yum and maybe you could have some and I could get another bit.” Connor grinned sweetly up at Charlie.

“Oh go then,” Charlie smiled as Connor ran through to the kitchen and tiptoed up to the worktop to get the tupperware box and pulled the lid off and took out a bit of the cake. “Do you want a coffee with your cake?” Charlie asked and Morag nodded as they walked into the kitchen and Charlie flicked the kettle on as Morag passed her two cups.

“Mummy can I get a juice?” Connor questioned.

“What do you want?” Charlie questioned as she took a glass out of the cupboard for him.

“Apple please,” Connor asked before he took a big bite of the cake as Morag opened the fridge and handed Charlie the apple juice. “Grandma do you know Darryl?”

“Yes, the man from your daddys restaurant,” Morag answered. “What about him?”

“We’ll he’s mummy’s boyfriend and mummy said -”

“Eh Connor Ross Rosetta, he is not my boyfriend.” Charlie said.

“He is,” Connor sighed. “He is a boy and he is your friend. So a boyfriend.” Charlie gave a small laugh as she handed him his juice. “So anyways mummy said he will can come play with me maybe tomorrow and he’ll get some cake.”

“Oh wow, lucky Darryl.” Morag said.

“Yeah,” Connor smiled. “Do you think he’ll like it?”

Morag took a bite of the cake before nodding her head. “Very good Connor, you did a good job. And I’m sure Darryl will love it.”

Connor giggled as Charlie’s phone beeped in her pocket. She pulled it out and looked down, and was slightly surprised to see it was Angelo who had text her. She opened the message and read over it. Hey, hope your both okay, I’ll be home tomorrow, are you about so we can talk and I can see Connor?. “Who is it mummy?” Connor questioned.

“It’s daddy,” Charlie replied. “He’ll be home tomorrow and he wants to come and see you.”

“Cool,” Connor grinned. “Ah mummy maybe me and daddy and Darryl can all play together.”

“I’m not sure that would work sweetie.” Charlie shook her head as she went to reply. We’re good, Morag and Ruby being here helped me through yesterday. Will be fine to see you tomorrow, just text when you are home. X. Charlie had sent the message before she realised she’d left a kiss. Part of her wished she was able to stop Angelo from getting that message, but there was another part of her that didn’t mind, and she felt a smile forming on her face at the thought of Angelo coming home so soon.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 40

Charlie applied the mascara to her eyelashes as she thought about seeing Angelo. She had funny feeling in her stomach – a mixture of dread and nerves, but mostly excitement – as she thought about seeing Angelo again. She pushed back any feelings she had for Brax and tried her best not to think about him. Although she did like Brax, she loved Angelo and he was the man she vowed to spend the rest of her life with. He gave her her children and they were the most important things to her in her life. She wanted to try again to make it work, not only for her children, but for herself. She deserved to be happy after everything that had gone on lately, and with Ruby reappearing in her life, she felt she wanted to try with Angelo even more, so she could have back the family she lost 2 years ago, when Ruby left. She put the mascara back into her make-up bag, and put in away in the drawer, before walking over to her bedside table and picking up the photo of Lily of that she had put there just a few days before. “Hey Lily,” Charlie smiled softly. “You wish mummy luck.” Charlie said as she placed a soft kiss onto the picture, before staring silently down at it for a few minutes, before the sounds of the doorbell ringing cause her to come back to reality. She put the picture down on the table and walked down the stairs to see the door opening and Angelo walked into the house with Connor and Carla behind him.

“Mummy daddy picked me up from school,” Connor grinned. “I got a big surprise.”

“Yeah, mummy thought it would be a nice surprise.” Charlie smiled down at her son who was holding onto Angelo’s hand.

“It was a good one,” Connor said. “And Grandma is here too.” Connor shrieked as he walked over to Charlie, hanging his school bag over the end of the banister.

“Yeah,” Charlie looked up to Carla. “Hey, nice to see you again.”

“And you,” Carla smiled as she stepped forward and pulled her daughter-in-law into a hug. “Sorry we had to take Angelo away from you for Saturday.”

“It’s fine,” Charlie forced a smiled as she pulled back from the hug. Really, it wasn’t fine, and Charlie really wanted and needed him with her, but it was past now, so there was no point in staying angry. “How’s Roberto?”

“Oh he’s on the mend. But you know men, always making it seem worse. They really are big wimps when it comes to being sick.” Carla laughed.

“Oh I know,” Charlie laughed. “Angelo here once got a cold and he was in bed for a week saying he had the flu.”

Carla laughed as Angelo sighed, feeling offended. “Definitely takes after his father there then. But Paulie and Ana are home from their holidays now so Paulie is there helping.”

“Yes, dad’s golden boy. Paulo the great. The one he really wanted there for the restaurant.” Angelo sighed as he shook his head, feeling inadequate.

“Ah well Connor and I want you here so we are more than glad to have you, isn’t that right squirt?” Charlie asked as she ruffled her son’s hair.

“Uh-huh,” Connor nodded. “Mummy can we give daddy and grandma some mars bar cake?”

“Of course,” Charlie answered. “But can you please go and change out of your school uniform first.” Connor nodded as he ran off up the stairs.

“He’s grown since I saw him last,” Carla smiled as she followed Charlie and Angelo through to the kitchen, where Charlie put the kettle on. “Can’t really notice that on Skype.”

“No, I guess you won’t,” Charlie replied. “So, how long are you planning on stay here for?”

“A week I think,” Carla answered. “Unless Roberto needs me back earlier. But I doubt it.”

“Well I’m sure Connor will be happy to spend some time with his grandma.” Charlie smiled as she put the coffee into the cups.

“Oh, no coffee for me thanks,” Carla said. “I thought I could take Connor to the park and let you two talk.”

“Oh, yeah uhm if that okay?” Charlie asked as she looked up to Carla.

“Of course. That’s what I came here for. To spend some time with my grandson.” Carla smiled as she looked up at her son, who was standing nearby to Charlie, looking nervous. Carla gestured for Angelo to say something to Charlie and he took a deep breath before stepping forward and taking the milk out of the fridge.

“Here you go,” Angelo said as he handed her the milk. Charlie smiled lightly as she took it from him, their hands lightly brushing each other’s in the passing of the milk. “You look gorgeous by the way.” Angelo said quietly as she looked down to her. Her long flowing hair left to dangle down passed her shoulders, in her natural wave, her blue eyes standing out even more, thanks to the way she’d done her make-up, her red summer dress, sitting perfectly on her body.

Charlie blushed as she poured the milk into the cups. “Thanks.”

“Mummy I’m ready for my cake.” Connor grinned as he ran into the kitchen. Charlie handed her son the tupperware box and he handed it around so Carla and Angelo took a piece before taking a bit for himself, placing the box back up on the worktop.

“So, Connor I thought we could take a nice little walk down to park,” Carla smiled as she looked down to her grandson, who was clearly enjoying his piece of cake. “How does that sound?”

“Yeah good,” Connor grinned. “We going right now?”

“Yeah,” Carla nodded. “If you are ready.”

“Yeah I is,” Connor nodded. “See you later mummy and daddy.” Connor waved as he ran across to the door, excited for his time out with his grandmother.

“See you later.” Carla smiled as she walked across the room and out the house with Connor.

“So, just me and you,” Angelo said as Charlie poured the water into the cup, before giving it a small stir, and handing him the cup. “Thanks,” Angelo smiled as he took a drink. “Still remember how I like it.” Angelo smiled.

“Of course I do,” Charlie said. “We separated, I didn’t lose my memory.”

“No,” Angelo shook his head. “So, I eh -”

“Do you want to come through to the living room; we can sit down and have a talk?”

“Yeah,” Angelo cleared his throat. “That sounds good.” Angelo followed Charlie through to the living room, nervous for what he wanted to say to her, and only hope that Charlie thought the same.

“So,” Charlie smiled nervously as she sat down next to him. “First off, I wanted to talk to you about Connor and how you’ve been with him.”

“Look, Charlie I was hurting. Losing Lily has been the hardest thing that I’ve ever had to get through and I know it’s no excuse for how I was treating Connor, I know that, and I promise whether I think he was part to blame or not, he deserves much better and he’s going to get that.” Angelo sounded sorry for how he’d been treating Connor, and all Charlie could do was believe he would change. “It was my grief, Charlie I didn’t know how to deal with it and I’m so sorry. I did it all wrong.”

“I don’t think I’m the one you need to apologise too,” Charlie said. “At least not for how you treat Connor. He misses his daddy,” Charlie spoke softly as she felt the emotions in her rising. “He just wants you back, Angelo.”

“I’ll apologise,” Angelo sniffed back. “I’ll make it up to him, I promise I will.”

“Good,” Charlie said. “So, Angelo I....” Charlie trailed off as she bit her lip. Sensing Charlie was having trouble saying it, he took a deep breath, and spoke. Saying what he thought she was wanting to say to him too.

“About this divorce, Charlie is it what you really want?” Angelo pursed his lips together, a little nervous to hear Charlie’s response.

Charlie shook her head as she pursed her lips together. “I want us to try.....” Charlie trailed off. “I want us to try this again, but I don’t know if it’s the right thing to do.”

“Well if it’s what we both want, maybe it’s worth a try?” Angelo said. “It would be different, I promise I’ll not be like before, not be like what led you to ask for a divorce. I just want you and Connor back.”

“You have to prove to me that you’ll change. That you’ll go back to what you were like when we were happy and Lily was here and it was good for us.” Charlie sniffed back, pushing away tears that wanted to fall.

“I promise,” Angelo moved closer to Charlie in the couch as he took hold of her hands. “Babe I love you so much and I promise you, I promise.”

“You have to prove yourself with Connor first,” Charlie said. “He is the most important thing to me and you have to show me that you love him and care for him and don’t let it show that you blame him, even if you still do for whatever reason, don’t let him know that. I can’t make your feelings change on what caused Lily’s death but he is just a kid and he doesn’t need that hanging over him.”

“I promise Charlie,” Angelo nodded lightly. I don’t blame him, mum made me see things differently, I’ll never mention that it was his fault again, I know it wasn’t. It was just...” Angelo trailed off. “It was horrible for us, and my grief.....I couldn’t deal with it.”

“Grieving is hard,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “Especially when you are left to do it on your own. But lets just leave the past in the past, and we get through the rest of this together.”

“Yeah,” Angelo nodded, agreeing with Charlie. “So, does this mean.....I mean are we....”

“Not yet,” Charlie shook her head. “Like I said, you need to prove yourself with Connor first. I’m not going to get back with you that easily.”

“Understandable I guess,” Angelo exhaled. He knew that he had to prove himself with Connor and he wanted to. He hated himself for treating a kid – his kid – so wrongly. “I'll change, I swear.”

“I hope you do.” Charlie smiled weakly, hoping that Angelo would change and that one day, she, Angelo and Connor could get some happiness.

Archived