Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Thanks everyone. :wub: Still feeling a little lost with this one. I know what I want to happen in the furture when the baby is set to arrive but need a few more chapters until I get there, unless I just skip to that time frame now...hmm...anyways, I am open for a few suggestions from you readers if you can think of a little story to get me to that time...:)

Chapter 81

Charlie, Brax and Connor were still watching the movie when Connor jumped up, letting the blanket fall to the floor. “I feel...” Connor gagged. “I’m...” Connor gagged once again before running to the basin at the edge of the couch and throwing up into it.

“Connor,” Charlie walked over to her son and rubbed his back as he started to cry.

“I’m sorry mummy,” Connor cried. “I hit the carpet.”

Charlie looked down to see he had in fact half hit the basin and half hit the floor. “It’s okay, you can’t help vomiting, you don’t need to cry.”

“But I don’t like to vomit,” Connor cried as his breathing became heavy, getting himself worked up into a right state. “I -” Connor went to talk again, but once again threw up, managing to cover in pyjamas in his vomit.

“Sweetie.” Charlie ran her hand through his hair as Brax went to get him a glass of water.

“I vomited on my pyjamas.” Connor cried.

“Don’t worry about that,” Charlie screwed her face up at the smell as she lifted his pyjama top from his body and folded it inwards, making sure no more sick got onto the carpet before taking his bottoms off, leaving him in his underpants. “Are you doing to be sick again?” Charlie questioned and Connor shook his head as Brax walked back into the room with the glass of water.

“You have a drink of that squirt.” Brax gently ruffled his hair as he handed him the glass and Connor took a drink as Charlie walked through to the kitchen and put his pyjamas in the washing machine, before walking back through to the living room to find Brax comforting Connor. She paused for a moment as she smiled at the sight. There was no doubt in her mind that he was great with kids and she knew Connor was going to be lucky to have him around.

“Right bud I think I should take you up to bed, don’t you think so?” Charlie questioned. “We’ll try and get a little sleep?”

“Okay,” Connor nodded as he walked over to his mother and held his hands up to go up. She lifted him into her arms before talking her son up the stairs and into his bedroom, where she sat him down on the bed and took a clean pair of pyjamas from his drawer. Connor put his glass of water on the bedside table and put his pyjamas on before looking up to his mother. “You said I could sleep in your bed when I’m sick.”

“I did didn’t I?” Charlie said and Connor nodded he jumped down from his bed and picked up his glass of water before taking Charlie’s hand and walking through to her bedroom. She lifted him up on the bed and put his water on the bedside table. “You close your eyes and try to sleep and don’t think about being sick, okay?” Charlie placed a soft kiss onto her son’s forehead. He still had a temperature, and if anything it was getting worse. She lifted the cover over him before leaving the room and walking back down the stairs to see Brax had cleaned away the basin and was scrubbing at the carpet where Connor was sick. “Brax, you didn’t need to do that,” Charlie said softly as she looked down to him, still scrubbing.

“It’s fine,” Brax answered. “Didn’t want it to get right into the carpet.” Brax put the cloth into the basin of hot water and rang it out before once again scrubbing the carpet.

“Here, let me take over.” Charlie said as she knelt down next to him and tried to take the cloth from him.

“No, I honestly don’t mind,” Brax said as he put the cloth into the basin. “Besides, it’s done now,” Brax gave her a grin before standing to his feet and taking the basin through to the kitchen and pouring the water down the sink. “So I guess you got him into bed okay?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “He wanted to sleep in my bed again but as long as he gets some sleep when he is sick I will let him.”

“Aww and here was me thinking I was going to be invited for a sleepover,” Brax gave a little laugh. “Shame.”

“Oi,” Charlie slapped his chest. “I told you yesterday I didn’t want to rush back into sex.”

“Who mentioned sex?” Brax questioned as he pulled Charlie closer to him. “You said you’d still do other stuff, didn’t you?”

“I did,” Charlie answered before Brax placed a soft kiss on her lips. Brax smiled into the kiss letting it deepen as he wrapped his arms around Charlie, lightly squeezing her bum cheek. Charlie wrapped her arms around his neck, before resting one hand on the back on his head. “Mmm, I like kissing you,” Charlie smiled as she led Brax through to the living room.

“That’s good, because I like kissing you too,” Brax grinned as he pushed Charlie down on the couch and started kissing her again. “Mmm.”

“Uh-uh,” Charlie shook her head as she pushed Brax from her and sat up on the couch. “We need to watch the end of this movie.” Charlie laughed lightly as she rested her head against Brax’s chest.

“I think we’ve watched this with Connor enough to know what happens.” Brax laughed.

“Hmm I guess so. You can kiss me again then.” Charlie gave Brax a cheeky smiled as she looked up and him before he placed another kiss on her lips.

Ruby walked into the restaurant after being at April’s to see Romeo putting away some glasses. “Hey babe.” Ruby smiled as she climbed up onto the barstool, which took an effort with her bump.

“Hey,” Romeo leaned over the bar and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. “I thought you were babysitting Connor tonight?”

“I was supposed to be but he is still sick so mum cancelled on Brax and stayed in with him,” Ruby told him. “So I went around to April’s for a bit.”

“Couldn’t stay apart for long could they?” Romeo gave a little laugh.

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “But he makes her happy so it’s good that they are back together.”

“Yeah,” Romeo cleared his throat. “I guess.”

“You don’t sound too convinced?” Ruby said. “You don’t think they should be together?”

“Well they want different things,” Romeo spoke tentatively. “I just think it’s going to be very difficult for them to make a relationship work.”

“Oh yeah who’s this?” Angelo questioned as he walked behind the bar, ringing stuff through the till.

“Brax and Charlie,” Romeo told him. “To make a relationship work when they want different things.”

“They split up, did they not?” Angelo questioned.

“They got back together actually and Charlie couldn’t be happier.” Ruby gave a smug sort of grin as she looked to Angelo.

“For now maybe,” Romeo said. “I still don’t think they’ll work if he wants kids and she doesn’t.”

“Me either,” Angelo shook his head. “It’s not fair on either of them as in the end someone has to give and why should they change their mind on what they want?”

Ruby exhaled as she looked to Romeo. “And you agree with him, right?” Ruby questioned.

“Sorry,” Romeo said. “But it’s how I feel about it.”

“Right,” Ruby sighed. “Well I’m going to home. See ya.” Ruby jumped down carefully from the barstool.

“I’ll just be another 10 minutes if you want to wait for me,” Romeo told her. “I can walk you home or you can come to my place.”

“Nah your fine,” Ruby shook her head. “I’ll go home myself.” Ruby said before turning and walking out of the restaurant leaving Romeo a little bewildered.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 82

Romeo knocked on the door of Charlie’s house hoping Ruby would agree to see him. He knew he’d done something to upset her, but he wasn’t quite sure what it was. As far as he was aware they were just having a conversation and he hadn’t said anything wrong. “Romeo,” Charlie smiled. “Come in.”

“Hey,” Romeo walked into the house and looked over to the couch where he saw Brax sitting. “Hey Brax.”

“Romeo.” Brax smiled at the young man.

“Eh, is Rubes home?” Romeo questioned as he rubbed the back of his head.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “She’s in her room. You can go up.” Charlie said and Romeo gave her a smile before he walked up the stairs and knocked lightly on the door.

“Come in,” Ruby said and Romeo walked into the room to see Ruby sitting on her bed, looking down at a magazine. “Oh, it’s you,” Ruby spoke quietly. “You know when I don’t wait for you to finish work it doesn’t mean you can come around when you are finished.” Ruby spoke rather coldly as she looked back down at the magazine.

“Rubes,” Romeo exhaled lightly as he walked further into the room and took a seat on the edge of the bed. “What did I say to upset you so much?”

“The stuff about Charlie and Brax,” Ruby answered. “I didn’t think you were so against them.”

“It’s not that I’m against them,” Romeo shook his head. “I just....I think it’s going to be hard for them to work things out when they both want different things.”

“Well relationships are never easy,” Ruby exhaled. “It doesn’t mean you need to write them off.”

“I didn’t write them off,” Romeo spoke a little louder. “Look, you wanted my opinion so I gave you it,” Romeo said. “You can’t get all mad at me just because you don’t like it. I am entitled to think what I want. I hope I am proved wrong and they do manage to work something out, but it’ll be hard.”

“Are we having our first fight?” Ruby asked as she put the magazine down onto the bed.

“I wouldn’t say we were fighting no,” Romeo answered. “Just a little disagreement.”

“I still don’t like it,” Ruby shook her head. “Promise me we won’t disagree again?” Ruby moved closer to Romeo and he laughed lightly as he wrapped his arm around her and placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

“I don’t think I can,” Romeo said. “There are times that we will argue or disagree I’m afraid.”

“Hmmm,” Ruby scrunched her face up. “Well Mr Romeo, in the future it’ll be easier to just quietly agree with me.”

Romeo laughed once again. “Is that so?” Romeo questioned and Ruby nodded her head. “Hmmm, we’ll see about that.” Romeo said before placing a soft kiss onto Ruby lips.

The next morning and Connor was still sleeping, as Charlie and Ruby were making breakfast. Ruby making cheese and ham omelettes for them as Charlie cut up some fruit and poured the orange juices. “Ooo.” Ruby clutched onto her stomach as Charlie shot over to her.

“Is everything okay?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded lightly.

“It was just a very hard kick,” Ruby questioned. “Think she wants to be a soccer player.”

Charlie gave a little laugh before she looked down to her stomach. “Do you mind if I....” Charlie pointed to her stomach.

“No, go ahead.” Ruby took Charlie’s hand into hers and put it onto her stomach and saw the smile on Charlie’s face as she felt the baby kick.

“It feels weird doesn’t it?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded lightly.

“Yeah but it’s a good kind of weird,” Ruby answered. “Like when she isn’t kicking, I know she’s just chilling out or sleeping but I get panicky that something’s wrong with her.”

“Oh I was the same with you,” Charlie said. “I was constantly asking mum how much you should be kicking and if you hadn’t kicked in a while I would poke at my stomach trying to get a response.”

Ruby laughed lightly. “I’ve poked this little one a few times too.”

“She’ll be cursing you.” Charlie laughed as she lightly rubbed Ruby’s stomach, feeling the baby kick once again.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered sadly. “Charlie do you think that everything will go okay with the birth?” Ruby questioned. “What if I have her and give her to Tony and Rachel and then something goes wrong with me and I can’t have any more children?”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she moved her hand from her daughters stomach and took her hands into hers giving them a gentle squeeze. “You don’t need to think like that,” Charlie shook her head. “You are young and healthy and most likely everything is going to be fine.”

“I don’t know,” Ruby shook her head. “Maybe I’m just trying to think up stupid excuses to make me reconsider giving her up.”

Charlie widened her eyes, surprised. “Are you changing your mind on this?”

Ruby shrugged her shoulders. “I was certain I wanted to give her up when I got pregnant but lately I’ve been getting images in my mind of me with a child,” Ruby answered. “Maybe it’s just because I feel her kicking and moving inside me, but I have these little doubts every now and then, you know maybe a little part of me can see me keeping her.”

Rubes,” Charlie exhaled as she rubbed her daughters arm. “I -”

“Maybe this child isn’t this child,” Ruby put her hand on her stomach. “You know maybe it’s mines and Romeo’s 10 years down the line, but I know it’s my child.”

“Sweetheart, this decision is never going to be easy,” Charlie said. “And if you’re trying to ask me what you should do, as much as I want a say in this, it’s not for me to say, so you need to know yourself what you want to do, okay?”

Ruby nodded lightly at what Charlie was saying. “I don’t think I could hurt Tony and Rachel.”

“Well the longer you leave it the more you will hurt them if you do decide you want to keep her, so just come to a decision soon, and one that you are going to stick with okay?”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded her head before looking back to the omelettes that were getting burned at the lack of attention she was paying them. “Sorry.” Ruby rubbed her forehead as she took them from the pan and put them on the plates.

“It’s okay,” Charlie said. “A little blackness adds to the flavour.” Ruby laughed lightly before she and Charlie walked over to the table to eat their breakfast.

Thank you beebee, Spotd1, CharlieandBrax4Ever, Zoe, Sarah, RoRo90 and Sabrina for the comments.

Chapter 83

Charlie walked into the restaurant and over to the bar where Angelo was setting up for lunch time custom. “Hey, Charlie, how are you?” Angelo smiled as he looked to his ex-wife. He was still in love with her and hadn’t given up hope of a reunion just yet, despite the fact Charlie had moved on with Brax.

“I’m fine,” Charlie answered. “Connor’s been sick over the weekend but he said he felt a lot better this morning and he didn’t have a temperature or anything so I’ve sent him to school as normal today.”

“So what are you trying to tell me?” Angelo questioned. “That he won’t be coming for dinner tonight?”

“No, I’m just telling you that he’s been sick so might not be 100 per cent,” Charlie exhaled. “So don’t give him a huge portion of food, it’s probably best to introduced it again slowly as you don’t want him eating too much and being sick again.”

“Right yeah,” Angelo nodded. Poor kid. Bet he’s been feeling right sorry for himself.”

“Oh yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Using it to get control of the TV remote. Poor Ruby’s had to watch cartoons and kids films all weekend.”

“I seem to remember she still loved all the kids’ films when she was 16 anyways.” Angelo gave a small laugh, remembering back to the time they all lived together.

“She does actually,” Charlie laughed. “So, maybe not poor Ruby, but definitely poor Brax. I don’t know how many times he’s had to watch Madagascar this weekend and if that’s not bad enough Connor vomited all over Brax yesterday,” Charlie saw the expression change on Angelo’s face. “Sorry, I think I forgot who I was talking to for a moment.”

“Yeah,” Angelo said. “Heard you two were back together though,” Angelo bowed his head down sadly and this didn’t go unnoticed by Charlie. “You think that’s wise?”

“Why?” Charlie questioned. “You think I am going to wake up one day and realise I am still madly in love with you and come back to you?”

“Probably not,” Angelo muttered. “But I was thinking more along the lines of the whole kids situation. How are you going to work this out?”

“I don’t need to explain myself or my relationship with you,” Charlie answered. “Who I date shouldn’t be your business.”

“But it is,” Angelo said. “Because you are putting him around my son and that makes it my business.”

“Brax is a lovely man and Connor thinks the world of him. They get along great.”

“Yeah and you’re going to break my son’s heart when you and Brax break up in the future because you want different things. Trust me Charlie; you’re only going to end up really hurt in the future. I’m only trying to look out for you here.”

Well I don’t need your concern,” Charlie said. “I’ll see you later on when you bring Connor home.” Charlie said before turning to walk away but Angelo reached out to stop her.

“I wanted to talk to you about that actually,” Angelo said. “I don’t think you are letting me see him enough.”

“Angelo you chose when you wanted to see him,” Charlie said. “When we were in court sorting his custody out, you said Monday and Wednesday was all you wanted because you needed to be at the restaurant all the other times.”

“I know, but he doesn’t sleep over on a Monday so I only get to see him for what...4 and a half hours on a Monday?”

“Well he doesn’t want to sleep over and it’s not fair to force him to do something he doesn’t want,” Charlie said. “And he stays over on a Wednesday so you get to see him Thursday morning and walk him to school.”

“And what about when you are on your dates with Brax?” Angelo questioned. “Why don’t you ever ask me to babysit?”

“Because you are always working.” Charlie raised her voice.

“How do you know?” Angelo questioned. “Have you ever asked?”

“Okay, what are you doing tomorrow night?” Charlie questioned.

“Working.” Angelo answered quietly.

“There you go my point exactly,” Charlie said. “Look, I need to go, but if you’re really adamant that you want another day then we’ll try to work something out.” Charlie sighed before she turned and walked away from restaurant.

Romeo led Ruby down the path, his hands over her eyes so she couldn’t see where she was going. “Just a small step down,” Romeo whispered into her ear before Ruby stepped down onto the jetty and once again, Romeo led her down until he reached the blaxland. “Okay, step up.”

Ruby put her foot up, banging it against the end of the boat. “Ouch,” Ruby squealed. “You know blindfolding a pregnant woman and taking her down some obstacle course isn’t the brightest idea.”

“Haha,” Romeo laughed. “It’s not an obstacle course,” Romeo said. “Just wait there,” Romeo jumped into the boat and lifted out the little ramp to make it easier for Ruby to get onto it. “Okay,” Romeo leaned forward and took her hands and let her up the ramp. “Okay, step down.” Romeo smiled as he sat Ruby down on the bench before lifting the ramp back into the boat and laying it against the side.

“Can I take this off yet?” Ruby questioned. “It’s dark in here.”

“Almost.” Romeo gave a little laugh as he started the boat up.

“Oh God we’re moving,” Ruby held tightly onto the edge of the boat. “Romeo, let me take it off.”

“Go on then,” Romeo exhaled as Ruby removed the blindfold from her eyes. “Oh wow,” Ruby smiled as she looked around. “You’re taking me out to sea.”

“I am.” Romeo smiled as Ruby stood up and walked wobbly over to him, as he drove the boat, wrapping her arms around his waist as he put one arm around her, leaving his other to control the steering.

“I didn’t know you could drive a boat,” Ruby smiled up at him. “You keep surprising me, Romeo Smith.”

“Well maybe I’ll really surprise you by telling you my real name.” Romeo smiled down at her.

“Romeo isn’t your real name?” Ruby questioned. “How did I not know this?”

“No-one except my sister calls me by my real name.” Romeo answered.

“So why do you get called Romeo?” Ruby questioned.

Romeo shrugged his shoulders. “I guess it just stuck and I prefer it to my real name anyways.”

“How can we have dated for 5 months and me not know this?” Ruby questioned.

“Because like I say only my sister calls me by my real name and she isn’t here,” Romeo answered.

“And I hate my name and prefer Romeo so I didn’t bother saying anything.”

“Well you need to tell me now,” Ruby answered. “Is it something really bad like Eugene or Herbie or do you have a boy girl name like Lesley or Ashley or oh is its Bartholomew or Jonty?” Ruby laughed.

Romeo shook his head. “Maybe I’ll wait until the wedding day for you to find out,” Romeo laughed. “Quiet like these guesses you are having.”

“We are getting married?” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“I’d like to think so one day,” Romeo smiled. “This feels so right doesn’t it?”

“It does,” Ruby smiled. “But maybe I won’t marry you until you tell me your real name.”

Romeo laughed once again. “It’s Todd.”

“Todd?” Ruby questioned. “That’s it, Todd?” Ruby said. “What’s so wrong about that?”

“I just don’t like it,” Romeo shrugged his shoulders. “So stick with Romeo please.”

“Hmm, so if I really want to bug you Todd is the way to go.” Ruby laughed.

“You’re too nice to bug me about it.” Romeo answered.

“Is that so, Todd?” Ruby teased.

Romeo laughed lightly as he placed a soft kiss onto Ruby’s lips. “Be nice and I’ll show you how to drive this boat.” Romeo said as she put Ruby’s hands onto the wheel as they continued to go out to sea.

Brax handed Charlie the coffee before taking a seat next to her on the couch. “So, you were saying Angelo wants more access of Connor?”

“So he said,” Charlie exhaled before taking a mouthful. “But I think he’s too much in love with his restaurant.”

“What would you think about letting him get more days?” Brax questioned.

“I guess it could be good for Connor,” Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “But I miss him like crazy when he’s not at home, I don’t think I’d like him to be away longer.”

“But as you say it could be good for Connor to spend more time with his dad,” Brax said. “And you’ll always do what’s best for him, won’t you.”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “Of course I will. But I’m also not going to make him do anything, so if Connor doesn’t want to go to Angelo’s more I’m not going to make him, because I don’t think that’s fair.”

“Well I guess you and Angelo will just need to talk it over and do what’s best for Connor.”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Anyways, I don’t want to talk about my ex when I’m with you. My super handsome new man,” Charlie smiled as she leaned her head forward and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “Mmm,” Brax smiled as he let the kiss get a little deeper. “Mmm, I’m going to spill the coffee.” Charlie said as she pulled back and put the coffee onto the coffee table.

“That better?” Brax questioned and Charlie nodded as they met in another kiss, Charlie resting her hands on his cheeks, as he pulled her closer to him on the couch. Brax smiled as he slipped his tongue into her mouth, letting the kiss become more passionate.

“Do you want to move this to your bedroom?” Charlie whispered as she pulled back from the kiss.

Brax raised his eyebrows surprised. “In the middle of the day?”

“Yeah, you don’t want too?” Charlie questioned as she bit her lip seductively.

“I want too,” Brax answered. “I just didn’t think you wanted to rush back into sex.”

Charlie smiled innocently as she stood up from the couch and took his hands into hers and pulled him to him feet. She unbuttoned the first few buttons of his shirt and softly kissed over his tattoo, before kissing up his neckline until she found his ear. “I want you.” Charlie whispered before leading him through to his to his bedroom.

Thank you everyone for commenting. :)

Chapter 84

“Mummy,” Connor ran excitedly into the house. “Daddy said he wants me to go to his place on a Monday and not come home till Wednesday after school.”

“He did?” Charlie widened her eyes and couldn’t believe Angelo had spoken to Connor about this without her there.

“Do I have to?” Connor questioned.

“Do you want to?” Charlie asked and Connor shook his head before looking back to his dad.

“I like being with you on Monday for dinner and sleeping over on Wednesday but that’s all.”

Angelo exhaled saddened as he glanced at Charlie before looking back down to his son. “Don’t you think that it would be fun to spend more time with daddy?” Angelo bent down to his son’s level and lightly pinched his cheek.

“I don’t want to dad,” Connor shook his head. “The time I am at your place is special so that’s how I like it.”

Angelo smiled lightly as he ruffled his sons hair. “It’s is special squirt,” Angelo said as he stood back up and looked up to Charlie. “Guess you get what you want then.”

“It’s what Connor wants,” Charlie said before looking down to her son. “Why don’t you go up the stairs and I’ll be up soon.”

“Do I need a bath tonight?” Connor questioned and Charlie nodded lightly.

“Yeah, up you go,” Charlie said and Connor ran off up the stairs. “Look I’m sorry that he doesn’t want to spend more time with you.”

“Are you though?” Angelo sniggered. “You looked pretty pleased he seemed to want to stay with mummy more.”

“I wouldn’t be that petty,” Charlie shook her head. “I just think what Connor wants is what we should do and it’s not fair to make him spend more time with you if he doesn’t want too.”

“Well maybe he needs to learn you don’t always get what you want in life and sometimes you need to do things you don’t want.” Angelo replied.

“I’m not changing our custody plans,” Charlie exhaled. “If it bothers you that much then get in touch with the courts and see if they think you need more access.”

“Just think it would be nice to spend more time with him but I guess him not wanting to shows what I mean to him.” Angelo sighed.

“Can you really blame him?” Charlie questioned. “Have you forgotten how you’ve treated him lately? Just make the most of the time you do have with him and build on your relationship instead of just demanding more time with him when you’re relationship with him is still fragile right now.”

Angelo exhaled as he rubbed his forehead. He couldn’t really argue with what Charlie was saying. It did hold some truth. “I guess you’re probably right,” Angelo sighed before walking back over to the door. “See you.” Angelo left the house, and Charlie closed the door, before walking up the stairs to see to her son.

“Why are you spoiling me so much today?” Ruby questioned as she took a seat in Noir in Reefton Lakes.

“Can’t a boy spoil his girl?” Romeo gave Ruby a cheeky grin from across the table.

“Of course,” Ruby answered. “But a boat trip to a romantic island for a picnic lunch, now dinner in the poshest restaurant in the area?”

“Well I can take you to that kebab shop down the road if you wish?” Romeo laughed.

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “Baby wants mussels so we need to stay here.” Ruby rubbed her stomach as she spoke.

“Mussels?” Romeo raised his eyebrows. “Excuse me while I go take out a bank loan.”

Ruby laughed lightly. “Well you can’t bring me to a posh restaurant and not expect me not to eat the best.”

“True,” Romeo answered. “And of course you can order whatever you want.”

“Good, I was planning on anyways.” Ruby laughed.

“Ruby, Romeo,” Brax smiled as he walked over to their table. “How are you tonight?”

“Good,” Ruby answered. “How are you?”

“Absolutely fantastic,” Brax answered. “I had an amazing afternoon with your mum.”

“Oh,” Ruby answered. “That’s a lovely image you’ve just put in my head.” Ruby screwed her face up.

“Sorry,” Brax felt himself getting hotter, like he was blushing. “Although I’m not that sorry because it was an amazing afternoon.”

“Really Brax, I am her 18-year-old daughter, please don’t forget you are talking to me here.” Ruby said and Brax gave a little laugh.

“Eh, can I get you anything to drink?” Brax said, sensing that changing the subject as the best thing to do.

“A jug of ice cold water,” Romeo ordered. “Want anything else?” Romeo asked as he looked to Ruby.

“No thanks,” Ruby shook her head. “Just water and for our waiter not to talk about his afternoon antics.” Ruby said as she glanced up at Brax.

Brax gave a little laugh. “I’ll tell that waiter to behave from now on,” Brax laughed. “I’ll be right back with your water.” Brax said before walking away.

Romeo took a deep breath as he ran his hand over the little box in his pocket. “You alright?” Ruby asked. “You look nervous.”

“Hmm yeah,” Romeo cleared his throat before one again taking a deep breath. He stood to his feet before walking to Ruby and getting down on one knee before her. “Ruby Buckton I may have only known you for 5 months but they have been the best 5 months of my life. I love you more than anything and I know that we’ve only been together a short time but this feels so right and I know I want to spend the rest of my life with you, have children with you and grow old with you. Please do me the honour of being my wife.” Ruby was speechless, but Romeo could see from the big grin appearing on her face, that he was going to get a positive answer. Ruby nodded her head and tried to talk but no words came out. “Is that a yes?” Romeo questioned.

Ruby cleared her throat. “Of course it’s a yes.” Ruby answered and Romeo put the ring on her finger before placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“Well hello,” Charlie smiled as she pulled Brax into her house, placing a soft kiss on his lips. Brax pushed the door shut with his foot as he let the kiss become more intense. “Mmm, how was work?”

“Good,” Brax replied. “Ruby and Romeo were in.” Brax said as Charlie led him over to the couch and they took a seat.

“Oh yeah?” Charlie questioned.

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “They’re so much in love it’s unreal.”

“I know,” Charlie answered. “But I’m glad she’s found someone like him after Lee. You know a lot of women from Ruby’s situation end up finding another abusive partner and get stuck in the cycle.”

“Yeah, but Romeo wouldn’t hurt a fly so she’s really lucked out there.” Brax told her.

“Not the only one who’s lucked out,” Charlie grinned up at Brax. “I think I found myself a great man too.”

“Really?” Brax questioned. “You’ll have to let me meet him one day, maybe we could be friends.”

Charlie laughed lightly as she snuggled closer to Brax. “Hmm, think I am going to keep him all to myself.”

“Charlie, that’s just greedy.” Brax joked. “You have to learn how to share.”

“Maybe I don’t want to share him.” Charlie said as she ran her hand down his shirt, pulling it from his pants and running her hand up his bare chest.

“Or on the other hand, maybe you keeping him to yourself can only be good,” Brax said quietly as he leaned his head down and placed a soft kiss on her lips. “You eh....you ready for round two?” Brax questioned as he pulled back slightly.

“Mmm, you bet.” Charlie smiled as she placed another kiss on his lips.

Thank you for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 85

Ruby and Romeo walked into Ruby’s place hand in hand, deliriously happy after their dinner date and of course Romeo’s successful proposal. “Oh God.” Ruby closed her eyes as she turned around and hid her head against Romeo’s chest as Charlie and Brax pulled apart on the couch, Brax with a noticeable bulge in his pants as he re-buttoned his shirt as Charlie straightened up her top.

“Sorry to have interrupted.” Romeo said awkwardly.

“It’s fine,” Charlie cleared her throat as she felt the redness in her cheeks. “How was your day?”

“Well I could have done without Brax implying to us at the restaurant what you to got up to this afternoon and now it looks like I walked in on you about to repeat what happened this afternoon,” Ruby scrunched her face up, looking almost horrified. “I don’t want to think about you doing that, it’s gross.”

“I’m only 33,” Charlie answered. “He’s only 29,” Charlie said as she pointed to Brax. “We’re hardly over the hill.”

“I know,” Ruby’s face continued to be scrunched up. “But no-one wants to walk in on their mother about to do.....that.”

“No I suppose not,” Charlie once again cleared her throat. “So, aside for this, how was your day?”

“Ahh...” Ruby smiled dreamily. “It was amazing. We went out on the Blaxland to the gorgeous little island for a picnic lunch of strawberries, raspberries, chocolate.....it was so romantic,” Ruby grinned up at her fiancé. “Then obviously you know Noir is a posh as restaurant and we had oysters and prawns and.....just an amazing meal.”

“Sounds very special,” Charlie answered. “It is an anniversary or something?”

“Well I guess you could say 5 and a half months, yeah,” Ruby smiled at her mother. “Or maybe it was so romantic because this happened,” Ruby held her left hand out and Charlie gasped as she saw the rock on her finger. “We got engaged. Isn’t it great?”

“Congratulations mate.” Brax smiled as he walked forward and shook Romeo’s hand.

“You’re engaged?” Charlie questioned as she looked unimpressed to her daughter. “Don’t you think you are a little young? And you’ve only been going out 5 months.”

“Well when you know you know,” Ruby answered. “You said so yourself to me not so long ago.”

“I know but...” Charlie looked to Romeo before looking back to Ruby. “You’re 18; he’s 20, what’s the rush?”

“I’m 19 in 2 weeks time,” Ruby answered. “And I know he’s the one so why wait?”

“I just think that you are rushing into this,” Charlie answered. “It wasn’t that long ago you were stuck in your relationship with Lee, you should be taking this next relationship slowly.”

“What like you and Brax are?” Ruby spat back. “You were married to Angelo a few months ago and now you’re all over him.”

“That’s different.” Charlie answered as Romeo and Brax exchanged a glance wondering if they should step in or leave them to it. “Yeah Angelo and I might have still been married, but we had been separated a few months already.”

“It’s still not much different,” Ruby shook her head. “We’ve both gone into new relationships quickly after our other ones failed. There are no differences at all. You know I am so surprised at this,” Ruby exhaled. “I thought you liked Romeo and would be happy for us.”

“I do like Romeo, okay, he’s a great guy and I can see that he makes you happy but I just want you to be careful, especially after Lee and rushing into marriage isn’t something I think you should be doing right now, especially with you being pregnant and not knowing what you want to do there anymore.”

Ruby shook her head at her mother. “Well I got your reaction totally wrong,” Ruby answered. “C’mon Romeo we’re spending the night at you’re place now instead.” Ruby said as she took his hand and dragged him with her out of the house, slamming the door shut. Charlie exhaled as she pursed her lips together, before looking up to Brax.

“Should I go after her?” Charlie questioned.

“Nah,” Brax shook his head as he walked closer to her and rubbed her arm. “You’ll probably just make it worse if you do. Leave it till tomorrow.”

“I don’t think I’ll have time,” Charlie answered. “It’s my first day back at work and then we have our date in the evening.” Charlie exhaled.

“Well she’s supposed to be looking after Connor, right?” Brax tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear as she nodded lightly. “Well you can talk to her before we meet then.”

“If she comes now,” Charlie answered. “If she’s mad at me she might not want to babysit for me anymore.”

“She won’t do that to Connor,” Brax shook his head softly. “And she likes to hang out with him.”

“Hmm.” Charlie exhaled as Brax placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

“C’mon, don’t go all sad,” Brax said as he rubbed her cheek as she looked up to him. “It was just a little disagreement. Give it a few days and you two will be fine.”

“Our relationship is already fragile as it is,” Charlie answered. “She knows I don’t support her giving up the baby and now she’ll think I’m not supporting the engagement.”

“But you are supporting Ruby with her baby choice.” Brax scrunched his face up confused.

“Yeah but she knows I am supporting her because I am her mother and I love her, not because I actually like the idea.”

“Well a wedding is different from adoption and just because they’re engaged it doesn’t mean they are going to go get married next week,” Brax exhaled. “They just want to show everyone how in love they are.”

“I guess,” Charlie exhaled. “Anyways, you’re right, I shouldn’t worry too much, it’s just an engagement,” Charlie said before giving a yawn. “I should get to bed, first day back to work tomorrow so I need to be fresh.”

“You look nervous.” Brax said quietly.

“I am a bit to be honest,” Charlie answered. “But I’m sure once I’ve been there a couple of hours and get back into the swing of it it’ll be like I’ve never been away.”

“Yeah, I’m sure it will.” Brax smiled encouragingly as Charlie walked over to the front door and picked up the key, locking it shut.

“C’mon,” Charlie put the key back down on the side table before turning to face her boyfriend. “Let’s go to bed.” Charlie smiled seductively before leading Brax up the stairs to her bedroom.

“I’m so sorry I’m late,” Charlie said as she bent down and gave Brax a kiss on the lips. “Ruby didn’t arrive till 7.10 to watch Connor so we didn’t get a chance to talk, I just had to leave.” Charlie and Brax were supposed to be meeting at 7, but it was now almost 7.30.

“It’s okay,” Brax answered as Charlie sat down on the seat opposite him. “So, how was your first day back at work?”

“It was good,” Charlie answered as she took a drink of the glass of water that was already on the table. “Like I said, after making my first arrest about 20 minutes into the job it was like I’d never been away.

Brax gave a little laugh. “Hope it wasn’t one of my brothers.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “They’re out on bail though yeah?”

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “I don’t really talk to them though eh, so I dunno, just let them get on with it.”

“I don’t understand how you can be related to them to be honest,” Charlie exhaled. “They’re complete idiots and you.....well I am rather fond of you.”

“Well I hope it stays that way,” Brax smiled. “So, Rubes showed no signs of even wanting to talk when you got home tonight?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “She said she was going to stay at Romeo’s for a while.”

Brax looked at Charlie in the eye and could see she was upset about what had happened with her and Ruby. “Well it’ll all sort out; you two were getting on really well again, so this little setback won’t stop that.”

“I hope so,” Charlie sighed. “I’m not being harsh here am I?” Charlie questioned. “I don’t want her getting hurt again after Lee and I know Romeo is lovely and probably wouldn’t hurt her, but it...I don’t know....I guess as her mother I just want her to be safe and I don’t want any one screwing her over.”

“I know what you mean,” Brax answered. “And I am sure Ruby will realise you are only thinking of her too. But she loves Romeo and after being so happy about the engagement I can see why she’d be upset. I mean, who wants their mother to protest against her engagement?”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she nodded at what Brax said. “She’s just so young; I just want her to understand that committing yourself to someone for the rest of your lives is hard work. I mean I couldn’t do it.”

“It’s not as if you didn’t try to make your marriage work,” Brax said. “Sometimes marriages just end, no matter how much you try to save them.”

“I guess.” Charlie exhaled.

“Do you ever think you’d get married again?” Brax questioned as he ran his hand across the table, nervous for her answer.

“Why?” Charlie questioned. “You don’t have a ring in your pocket do you?” Charlie questioned, sounding alarmed.

“No,” Brax gave a little laugh. “I just mean, 1, 2 years down the line; do you see yourself getting married again?”

“Ehm,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I think so.....like you know I’ve done the big white wedding thing already so if I was to get married again I wouldn’t want anything to fancy or over the top. I’d be happy with just me, the groom, the minister, obviously, and you know I’d obviously have Connor and Ruby there. Probably on the beach too.”

“So the groom doesn’t get any family?” Brax questioned.

“Well I just figured that you’re brothers are in and out of jail and you said yourself you don’t have much to do with them and I’ve never really heard you talk about your parents so -”

“Oh so I am the groom?” Brax gave a little smile.

“Well...I....eh....” Charlie started to stutter. “You are my current boyfriend so if I was going to marry anyone it would be you.”

Brax smiled as he leaned across the table and took Charlie’s hand in his. “Well I’ll keep that in mind,” Brax said. “And that sounds like the perfect wedding location for me too,” Charlie smiled lightly at her boyfriend. She loved him and did hope that they could have a future together although she knew it would difficult. “And by the way you look stunning tonight,” Brax smiled as he looked Charlie up and down. She was wearing her blue strapless dress that cut just above the knee and hugged her in all the right places, and her hair had been straightened. “Although I can’t wait to see you in that uniform again,” Brax gave her a cheeky smile. “Love you in that.”

“Cheeky,” Charlie batted his hand. “You only dating me for my uniform?”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “But eh....do you take you handcuffs home with you?”

“Usually,” Charlie gave a little giggle, knowing where this was going. “Why, eh, do you want to test them out?”

“Well I have always wondered what it would be like wearing handcuffs....” Brax trailed off as he once again gave her a cheeky smile.

“Darryl Braxton,” Charlie shook her head. “I’m surprised you’ve never been cuffed before to be honest. Back when you were a wild river boy up to no good.”

“Well I just had my ways of getting out of things although you probably don’t want to know about my past.” Brax said.

“No, no I don’t,” Charlie shook her head. “And eh, play your cards right tonight and Sergeant Buckton may just need to arrest you for being a naughty boy.” Charlie raised her eyebrows as Brax grinned at her.

“Evening,” The waiter smiled as he stood at the table. “Are you ready to order?”

“We haven’t actually looked at the menu yet mate,” Brax told his colleague. “But, we’ll order some drinks,” Brax said as he looked back to Charlie. “Red or white?”

“Red.” Charlie answered.

“We’ll have a bottle of the 2006, Italian,” Brax said and the waiter nodded. “And we’ve already got the water so that’s all thanks.” Brax smiled at Charlie as the waiter walked away to get them their wine before looking down at the menu to decide what he wanted to eat.

Thanks. And sorry about this one, I don’t like it much at all but just wanted to fix the Ruby/Charlie stuff before moving it on a bit.

Chapter 86

Charlie and Brax walked into Charlie’s place, to see Ruby sitting on the couch watching TV. “Hey Rubes,” Charlie smiled down at her daughter as she stood up from the couch. “How was Connor?”

“Fine as usual,” Ruby answered. “He’s sound asleep.”

Charlie exhaled as she looked to Brax. He gave her a little nod of understanding. “I’ll go up and check on him.” Brax said and Charlie gave him a thankful smile before he walked of up the stairs.

“Well I’ll just go back to Romeo’s.” Ruby said as she went to walk out of the house.

“Ruby, wait,” Charlie reached out and took hold of her daughters arm. “I’m sorry, please can we talk?”

“Why?” Ruby questioned. “You will just tell me again that I’m making a mistake by getting engaged.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I promise, I won’t.”

“Then what do you want to say?” Ruby questioned.

“I’m sorry,” Charlie exhaled. “Romeo is a great guy and he makes you so happy and it’s great that you’ve found someone -”

“So then I don’t understand why you don’t want this for me.” Ruby exhaled.

“It’s not that I don’t want it, Rubes, you’re just so young and I think with the baby and giving her up, you’re going to have enough to deal with without the stress of a wedding.” Charlie said.

“Well we’re only just engaged,” Ruby answered. “We don’t need to get married this year, or even next year,” Ruby leaned herself against the back of the couch. “This just symbolises our love for one another and that one day we will get married.”

“Right,” Charlie smiled as she moved closer to Ruby. “I guess I just don’t like the fact you’ve grown up so quick,” Charlie exhaled. “I couldn’t be a mother to you when you’re a kid and then I thought at 16 that you’d still need mothering, you’d still need a parent but then you left and now you’re back and your 18, you’re an adult and....” Charlie pursed her lips together. “When you said you were pregnant I thought you would need me and then you said you were giving the baby up but I’d be able to be there for you when you had to do that and I could support you, but now your engaged and you’re going to want your fiancé there rather than me.”

“Charlie,” Ruby shook her head as she stepped forward and rubbed her arm. “I’m always going to need you whether I am engaged or not, living in Summer Bay, Sydney or even France,” Ruby exhaled. “You are my.....my mother and I love you and I’m always going to need you.”

Charlie smiled lightly as she stepped forward and pulled her daughter into a hug. “I love you too Rubes,” Charlie smiled. “And congratulations, by the way,” Charlie said as she stepped back and lifted her left hand up to look at the ring. “Angelo pays Romeo way too much.” Charlie said as she raised her eyebrows. Ruby laughed lightly.

“It’s gorgeous isn’t it?” Ruby questioned. “Even if I say so myself.”

“It’s lovely,” Charlie smiled as she tucked her daughter’s hair behind her ear. “I really am happy for you.”

“I know,” Ruby smiled as she looked up to her mother’s eyes and could see she was telling the truth. “But eh....I’m going to go back to Romeo now but I’ll come back home tomorrow.”

“Okay, see you then,” Charlie smiled as she placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s forehead before walking Ruby over to the door, and locking it shut once she’d left. She exhaled lightly before she walked up the stairs and found Brax sitting in her bedroom waiting on her. “Connor alright?”

“Sound asleep,” Brax smiled. “You and Ruby sort things out?”

“We did,” Charlie smiled as she leaned down and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “Thank you.”

“For what?” Brax scrunched his face up.

“Just thank you.” Charlie smiled as she placed another kiss on his lips before they fell down onto the bed, their kiss not breaking.

Charlie, Brax and Connor walked into the diner for some lunch. It was now Friday and Ruby had been home for a few days, and things were like normal with Charlie and Ruby again. “Mummy I’m sitting next to Darryl.” Connor said he took a seat next to Darryl as Charlie sat opposite him.

“Oh right,” Charlie exhaled. “Mummy not cool enough to sit next to anymore?”

“No,” Connor shook his head. “You are still very cool but I like Darryl lots too.”

“I see.” Charlie gave a little laugh as she exchanged a glance with Brax.

“Hey, bud you didn’t tell me how your woolly mammoth went at school?” Brax questioned.

“Oh, yeah it went good,” Connor nodded. “It’s up on the wall with all the others.”

“Good,” Brax smiled down at him. “So what do you fancy doing this weekend mate?”

“Ehm,” Connor scratched the side of his head. “I don’t know.” Connor shrugged his shoulders.

“You can’t think of anything?” Charlie questioned.

“Ehm well the twins Sean and Jordan are getting to see a real life Soccer match in Sydney. That would be cool.”

“Ah yeah I bet it would.” Brax smiled.

“Do you think we could go to that?” Connor questioned.

“Probably not tomorrow,” Brax shook his head. “But I am sure I could get you tickets and we can go to another match if you’d like?”

“Wow, can I mum?” Connor looked up at Charlie as he widened his eyes.

“Sure, it’ll be a fun day out.” Charlie smiled.

“Not with you,” Connor shook his head. “Can it be a day with just me and Darryl?”

“Oh, eh....” Charlie scratched the side of her head. “Yeah of course. You guys will have lots of fun.”

“Cool,” Connor smiled. “Daddy hasn’t taken me to a game ever,” Connor shook his head. “So you’d be the best Darryl.”

“Right well I’ll see what I can do about getting some tickets, okay?” Brax questioned and Connor smiled up at up.

“And then we need a day for me and mummy and you,” Connor smiled. “At the zoo or the aquarium cos they’re good places too.” Connor said.

“You like expensive places hmm.” Charlie said.

“It’s not expensive,” Connor shook his head. “It’s the zoo and the aquarium and you see lots nice animals.”

“You sure do,” Charlie smiled. “Might even put you back in the monkey pen when we are there hmm.”

“Mummy,” Connor gasped. “That’s not funny.”

“I thought it was.” Brax laughed as he looked down at Connor.

Connor furrowed his eyebrows as he scowled. “It wasn’t.” Connor said and Charlie and Brax laughed once again before looking down at the menu to see what they were going to order.

Thanks.

This chapter skips forward around 2 months in time.

Chapter 87

“Hey.” Ruby walked back into the house she shared with Charlie and Connor after being at a Lamaze class with Rachel.

“Hey Rubes, you alright?” Charlie questioned. “You’re looking awfully down.”

“Yeah I was just at another Lamaze class with Rach,” Ruby said as she sat down on the couch next to her mother. “I’d rather not be there but hey, what can I do?”

“How about not go?” Charlie questioned. “You clearly aren’t getting anything from it.”

“Rachel is,” Ruby answered. “And I think it makes her feel closer to the baby. And there are only a couple of classes left anyways so it’s not that big a deal.”

Charlie smiled lightly at her daughter. “You’re being really strong.”

“I have to be if I am going to give her up,” Ruby answered. “I know I’ve had thoughts of keeping her but I believe it’s the best thing to do, I’m not ready to be a mother. I’m only just 19 and I haven’t exactly got heaps of cash or anything else to offer her. Tony and Rachel are ready for this, they have money to give her a good life and I know they are going to love her.”

“I’m sure you would love her too.” Charlie said softly.

“Sometimes love isn’t enough and I need to do what’s best for her,” Ruby ran her hand over her stomach as she spoke. “I can’t be selfish right now.” Ruby exhaled and this made her realise more why Charlie did what she did after she’d had her.

“So have you told Rachel about your birthing plan yet?” Charlie questioned.

“No,” Ruby exhaled knowing that she needed to tell her soon. “I’ve tried a few times but I always end up saying something different. I just don’t want to hurt her.”

“Ruby you are giving her your child,” Charlie exhaled. “She might be upset about it initially but the bigger picture here is that you are giving her the baby at the end of all of this and once she holds that baby in her arms, she’ll not care that she didn’t get to see her being born.”

“You really think so?” Ruby questioned.

“Well what Rachel thinks doesn’t actually concern me right now,” Charlie answered. “It’s what you are comfortable with that I’m more interested in, but yeah,” Charlie gave a little nod. “She’ll be okay with it. I’m sure she’ll understand.”

“Can you tell her for me?” Ruby questioned. “Please.”

Charlie pursed her lips together before shaking her head. “You need to do this yourself.”

“But it’ll be hard.” Ruby answered.

“Yeah well how much harder do you think it would be to give up this child?” Charlie raised her voice. “Sorry,” Charlie said as she saw the look on Ruby’s face. “But it’s something you need to do yourself, but I can come with you, if that will help.”

“Thanks,” Ruby smiled lightly at her mother, happy at least she offered to come with her. “So nothing on tonight?”

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “Connor is at Angelo’s and Brax is working.”

“Well we could get some DVD’s and ice-cream?” Ruby gave a little smile.

“We could,” Charlie nodded. “Or we could go around to Rachel’s and let her know of your plans.”

“Right now?” Ruby looked scared. “I think I need more time.”

“Ruby the baby is due in 3 weeks,” Charlie answered as she stood up from the couch. “So we don’t really have a lot of time left.”

“Okay,” Ruby took a deep breath. “We’ll go, we’ll go tell her.” Ruby stood up from the couch and followed her mother out of the house, nervous for what she was about to tell Rachel.

“Right mate, finish your milk and toast then it’s time for bed.” Angelo said as he looked down to his son.

“Daddy are you sad?” Connor questioned before he took a mouthful of the milk, getting a little milk moustache as he put his cup back onto the table.

“No,” Angelo gave a little laugh. “What makes you ask that?”

“Well you look sad.” Connor exhaled as he wiped his hand across his mouth.

“So why would I be sad?” Angelo questioned.

“Well you and mummy got a divorce,” Connor answered. “And now she has a new boyfriend boyfriend and is happy but you’re not because you don’t get to be with mummy.”

Angelo exhaled lightly at what his son had said, he was one smart little boy. “You’re too clever mate,” Angelo ruffled his son’s hair. “And yeah, daddy does get sad that he’s not with mummy anymore but it seems like your mummy has moved on and is happy with Brax.”

“She is,” Connor nodded his head. “And Darryl is real nice so maybe we could just all be happy together.”

Angelo gave a little laugh. “I don’t think that would ever work squirt,” Angelo exhaled. “But hey, I’ve got you and you are all I need to be happy.”

“But I’m not here all the times,” Connor exhaled. “Only Monday for dinner and a sleepover on Wednesday.”

“I know but I get to look forward to it mate,” Angelo said as moved closer to his son. “You don’t need to worry about daddy okay?” Angelo questioned as he wrapped his arm around him.

“I think I do,” Connor nodded. “Cos mummy would want me too.”

“You think so?” Angelo asked and Connor nodded with a very serious look on his face.

“Well yes because you are my daddy and were Lily’s daddy and she still likes you.” Connor said softly and Angelo exhaled as he ran his hand over his hair.

“Bud, you’re too young to be worrying about me and if I am happy or not,” Angelo said. “All you need to know is that I love spending time with you, my little boy, and that’s never going to change okay?”

“So you’re not gonna be mean to me again?” Connor asked.

“No, I promise.” Angelo placed a soft kiss on his son’s forehead.

“Maybe you could find a girlfriend girlfriend though too,” Connor suggested. “Then you could be happy even when I wasn’t here.”

“Not right now bud,” Angelo shook his head. “Daddy still loves mummy so he doesn’t want to have another girlfriend at the moment,” Angelo took a deep breath. “Now, c’mon,” Angelo pointed down to the plate of toast. “Finish this up then I’ll read you a story before bed.” Angelo said and Connor took a bite of his toast as Angelo placed a soft kiss on his head.

Ruby knocked on the door and took a deep breath as Charlie felt her daughters hand go into hers. She looked to Ruby as she gave her hand a squeeze and smiled encouragingly at her. “It’ll be fine, I promise.” Charlie mouthed as the door opened.

“Charlie, Ruby,” Rachel smiled. “Come in.”

“Hey.” Charlie gave Rachel a weak smile; it was safe to say that this adoption had pretty much ruined their friendship.

“Can I get you a coffee?” Rachel questioned. “A tea?” Rachel asked as she looked to Ruby.

“No thanks,” Ruby shook her head. “Is Tony in?”

“Someone say my name?” Tony questioned as he appeared back in the room.

“Just asking if you were in too,” Ruby asked. “I have something important I want to talk to you about.”

“Oh,” Rachel looked to Tony worriedly as they all took a seat around the kitchen table. “Is everything okay with the baby?”

“She’s fine,” Ruby smiled as she ran her had across her stomach. “It is sort of about her though, well not sort of, it is.” Ruby said.

“What is it?” Rachel sounded worried as she looked to Tony. He gave her a comforting smile as he took her hand into his. “We are still getting her right? You’ve not changed your mind?”

“No, no, I haven’t,” Ruby shook her head. “You’re still getting her but I just.... I have something I need to tell you.”

“You want to change the adoption details?” Tony questioned. “You don’t want it to be closed anymore?”

“No, it’s not that.”

“We don’t mind if it is,” Rachel shook her head. “If you want emails, letters, pictures, videos, we’ll send that. Yearly, six monthly, every 3 monthly, even monthly if you want.” Rachel exhaled.

“Will you just let Ruby tell you what it is?” Charlie unintentionally raised her voice.

“Sorry,” Rachel cleared her throat. “What is it Rubes?”

“It’s about the birthday, well the day I have her.” Ruby took a deep breath.

“You’re worried?” Rachel questioned. “I’ll be there every step of the way to help you through. I’ve done it with patients and I’ll do it with you.”

“Well that’s just it,” Ruby bit her lip. “I’d like the birth to be just Charlie and me.”

“But this is my daughter getting born,” Rachel exhaled sadly. “Please Rubes, don’t let me miss it.”

“Sorry,” Ruby said. “But I just need it to be me and Charlie only.”

“And there’s no changing your mind?” Tony questioned. “I don’t need to be there if it makes you feel uncomfortable. As much as I would love to see my daughter being born, I’ve been there when the boys were born and I’ll give it up, but Rach hasn’t experienced this and she’s never going to get to do it naturally, please, Rubes, let her be there.”

“I’m sorry but I’ve made my decision.” Ruby exhaled. “You’ll be right outside the room and the baby will be brought to you right away.”

“Why are you taking this away from me?” Rachel asked, trying to keep composed. “Are you changing your mind?”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “And I never said that you would be in the room,” Ruby answered. “You just assumed it and I’m sorry but this is my decision to make. Once she gets here she is yours and you can make all the choices but until then it’s up to me and I want this to be just me and Charlie.”

“Okay,” Rachel took a deep breath. “I guess it is your choice.”

Ruby and Charlie exchanged a glance before Ruby stood up from the table. “We should probably leave now.” Ruby said before Charlie looked to Tony and Rachel before she also stood up. Tony walked them over to the door, before closing it behind them and turning around to see Rachel crying, hiding her head in her hands.

“Hey, Rach is okay,” Tony spoke softly as he walked back over to her. “So, you’re not going to be in the room when the baby is born. You heard her, we get the baby right away and she’ll be ours.”

“No, no,” Rachel shook her head as she looked up to her husband. “We are going to lose her. She is changing her mind, I know it. She is starting to shut us out. She’s going to have the baby and keep her and raise her with her fiancé. She engaged now isn’t she? That’s more stability; we’re going to lose this baby Tony.”

“Hey, hey. You heard her. We’re still getting the baby. We’ll bring our daughter home next month and then head off to Boston like planned. I promise.” Tony exhaled before bending down and pulling Rachel into a comforting hug, hoping what he said was true.

Thanks everyone for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 88

Charlie unlocked the door of her house and opened it up, before she and Connor walked in. Connor exhaled as he put his school bag down behind the couch as Charlie closed the door.

“You alright squirt?” Charlie questioned. “You’ve not said a word since you got out of school.”

“Can we talk?” Connor questioned as he climbed up onto the couch.

“Of course we can,” Charlie gave a little laugh, slightly bemused at her son as she sat down next to him. “Everything go okay at daddy’s last night?”

“Yup,” Connor nodded. “Well I think, no no,” Connor shook his head. “Eh...” Connor scratched the side of his head. “Daddy is sad because no one loves him.”

“Sweetheart,” Charlie shook her head as she ran her hand softly over his head. “Did daddy tell you this?”

“Well I said he was sad,” Connor said as he looked into his mother’s eyes. “It told me in here.” Connor put his index finger next to Charlie’s eye.

“And what did daddy say to that?” Charlie exhaled.

“I didn’t need to worry about him and he was okay because he had me,” Connor answered. “But he loves you and is sad cos you don’t love him. No one loves him.”

“Connor,” Charlie spoke softly as she lifted him up onto her knee. “Plenty of people love your daddy. His mum and dad, his brother, sister-in-law, his friends here love him, and you love him lots, don’t you?”

“This much and more.” Connor put his hands out as wide as he could.

Charlie smiled lightly. “And you know, mummy does love him too,” Charlie answered. “Maybe not the same kind of love I used to have for him, but I’m always going to love your daddy. We were together a really long time and he gave me you and Lily. He’s always going to be special to me and I love him very much.”

“So how you not married no more?” Connor questioned.

“Because sometimes adults feel that they can’t be together anymore.” Charlie answered and Connor furrowed his eyebrows, unsure.

“He says he still is in love with you,” Connor exhaled. “Is it different to how you love him?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded her head. “I love your daddy but now I am in love with Brax.”

“I love Darryl,” Connor smiled. “He is nice but I love my daddy lots more.”

“I’m sure you do,” Charlie gently rubbed his head. “And where did all this worrying about daddy come from? You’re not supposed to worry about things like that at your age.”

“Because you are happy with Darryl and he looks sad so I want him to be happy too.” Connor answered.

“How about you leave that kinda stuff to me and your dad and you just be a little kid?” Charlie questioned and Connor nodded his head lightly. “How did you come such a wise owl?”

Connor giggled before he gave a little shrug. “You are my mummy.” Connor answered.

“That’s a good answer,” Charlie laughed as she lightly gave her sons side a tickle, resulting in him laughing. “Now, how about you go get changed from your school clothes?”

“Okay,” Connor jumped down from Charlie’s knee. “Then can I bring my lego’s for us to play?”

“Sounds good.” Charlie smiled as she watched her son running off up the stairs.

“So, missus, we’re engaged now so I was thinking that maybe it was time we moved in together?” Romeo said as he ran his hand ever so softly over her head.

“Eh....” Ruby bit her lip. “I don’t know, I think there’s enough going on right now.”

“Oh.” Romeo sounded a little disappointed in her reply.

“I’d love to one day, I really would,” Ruby said as she sat up from leaning against him on the couch and turned to face him. “But right now, I think I need to be with Charlie. I’m going to need her when I give this little one to Rachel and Tony.”

“So, you’re set on giving her up?” Romeo questioned.

“Yes,” Ruby nodded. “I’ve told you this so many times.”

“I know, but you’re also expressed that you could be changing your mind.” Romeo spoke tentatively, knowing it was still and always would be a touchy subject.

“Romeo,” Ruby shook her head. “I’m not changing my mind now. I don’t want this child. I’m not ready to be a mother. I don’t need a constant reminder of Lee and what he did to me, how my life was with him. And that’s how it will be if I were to raise this kid,” Ruby hit her hand against her stomach as she spoke. “I’m giving this kid a chance in life. Two parents who are together and are going to love her and give her all she wants and needs. Not some 19 year old teen mum who doesn’t have a clue about parenting or everything a child needs.”

“I think you’d be a great mum.” Romeo answered quietly.

“Yeah and one day I want to be a mum,” Ruby exhaled. “When the time is right and I feel ready. I have hardly any money right now, no qualifications to get a great job, my life with Charlie still isn’t perfect. It wouldn’t be fair to raise a baby in this kind of life.”

“All the kid would want from you is love.” Romeo answered.

“She deserves more than love,” Ruby raised her voice. “That is why I am doing this. I am giving her the kind of life that she deserves and if you can’t support that like you said you would then you can take this back.” Ruby said as she took her engagement ring off and threw it at Romeo.

“Hey, hey, Rubes,” Romeo picked the ring up and held it in his hand. “Sorry, I was just making sure you’d thought this through fully. It’s a big decision to make and it’s going to be hard. I just didn’t want you making it on a whim.”

“I haven’t made it on a whim,” Ruby sighed. “I’ve thought about this for months. I know it’s what I want to do.”

“Okay, I’m sorry,” Romeo took Ruby’s hand into his and rubbed it gently. “I just love you so much and it’s going to be so hard seeing you so upset when you need to give that little girl up.”

“It’s the best thing for her,” Ruby answered. “So while I will no doubt be upset, I’ll still know that at the end of the day, I did the right thing for her.”

“Okay,” Romeo exhaled as he tucked her hair behind her ear. “You’re going to make Tony and Rachel very happy and I’m proud of you for that.” Ruby smiled lightly at her fiancé.

“Thank you,” Ruby said. “And I’m sorry for yelling and throwing my ring at you,” Ruby looked down to the ring sitting in his hand. “Can I have it back?” Ruby gave a little pout. Romeo nodded as he put the ring back on her finger.

“Love you Rubes.” Romeo said as he pulled her into a hug.

“Love you too.” Ruby answered as she buried her head against his chest, knowing that over the next few months, she was going to need him and Charlie more than ever.

Charlie walked back into her house, to see Brax sitting on the couch watching the sports, waiting on her return. “Hey babe,” Charlie smiled as she leaned herself over the couch, placing a soft kiss onto his cheek. “How was Connor tonight?”

“He was good,” Brax answered as Charlie walked around and sat down on the couch next to him. “We played lego all night before story and bedtime.”

“He loves his lego right now.” Charlie smiled.

“Yeah,” Brax agreed. “So, how was the group tonight?” Brax asked. Charlie was still going to the bereavement group that was on once a month, and although she didn’t talk to Brax much about it, she would usually give a little answer on how it went.

“Fine,” Charlie nodded. “I can finally talk about her a lot without crying. You know I could mention her and not cry but talking about her in more length always made me cry, but now.....I don’t know, I guess it just gets that little bit easier to cope and talk about her over time.”

“Well that’s good,” Brax gave her a smile as he wrapped her arm around her, Charlie resting her head against the top of his arm. “How was Angelo tonight?” Angelo had recently started going to these nights with Charlie.

“He’s still a bit hesitant to open up to everyone but I guess the longer he is there the easier it will get with him, just like it happened that way for me.” Charlie answered.

“Yeah,” Brax gave Charlie’s head a soft kiss. “And you know I’m always here to talk to as well.”

“I know,” Charlie exhaled. “And please don’t take this the wrong way.....but.....” Charlie sat back up on the couch and looked into his eyes. “Talking to people who’ve been through the same thing as Angelo and I.....it’s a lot easier. They understand my pain and my grief and I know you care about me and how much you love me and would be there if I needed you, but you haven’t been through this and until then, you wouldn’t have an idea of what it was like so it’s easier for you really, if I just keep that stuff with Lily to the bereavement group. And I’m not trying to keep that part of my life away from you, because I have talked a little bit about Lily to you in the past, but I -”

“I know,” Brax cut Charlie off. “I understand what you are saying, it’s okay,” Brax gave a weak smile as he tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear. “But you know if you ever did want to talk, I would be here the best that I could, because I know that I’ll never understand what you went through but I’d try as hard as I could to console you.”

“I know you would and I’m very thankful for that and I’m lucky to have found someone like you,” Charlie said as she gave Brax a smile. “But we’re over the worst of it and I get to enjoy the rest of my life with you and Connor and Rubes and I get to look forward to our future now.” Charlie exhaled, knowing it wouldn’t be easy to have a future with Brax, but hope that she and Connor would be enough for him and they wouldn’t have to break up over children in the future.

“I know.” Brax smiled as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips. He wasn’t really sure what their future was going to be like. He knew that they’d both be open to marriage, but it was Charlie not wanting kids that really stopped him from dreaming too much of a good future with her, because no matter how many times he said he would give having a child up for Charlie, at the end of the day, being a father was something that he deeply wanted to do.

Thank you for the comments.

Chapter 89

Charlie, Brax and Connor were having pancakes with fruit and syrup for their breakfast. “What are we doing today mummy?” Connor asked before taking a mouthful of his pancake.

“You’ll have school, no?” Brax questioned.

“No,” Connor shook his head. “We don’t go today.”

Brax looked to Charlie. “Is that right?”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “I’m not sure why they are off to be honest. The schools have never been off on this day before. It seems like they just keep coming up with extra days off.”

“Bet the kids love that though.” Brax gave a little laugh before taking a drink of his apple juice.

“Hmm, the parents sure don’t. Means I had to find a sitter so I didn’t need to miss work.” Charlie cut up her pancake before taking a forkful.

“Who is I staying with today mum?” Connor questioned. “Is it you?” Connor wondered as he looked to Darryl.

“Nah, not me mate, I need to work too.” Brax replied.

“Hmmm,” Connor scratched the side of his head. “Ruby?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “You are staying with Bianca.”

“Aunty Bee-Bee,” Connor widened his eyes. “That’s cool, I haven’t seen Bee in so long.”

“No, neither has mummy,” Charlie replied. “So it will be nice to see her when I’ve finished work.”

“Do you think she’ll take me out for ice-cream?” Connor asked.

“Maybe if you are good enough.” Charlie answered.

“Cool,” Connor smiled before looking back to Brax. “Darryl?”

“Yes bud?” Brax looked down to the little boy, wondering what he was going to ask.

“Well you know when you sleep over?” Connor questioned and Brax gave a gentle nod. “Well why do you always sleep in mummy’s room?” Connor questioned.

“Because I am her boyfriend so I’m supposed to sleep there.” Brax answered as he looked to Charlie and saw she was biting her lip at her son’s question.

“Oh...but you are my friend too so maybe the next time you can sleep over you could sleep in my room and we could watch movies and have popcorn and soda.”

Brax and Charlie both gave a little chuckle. “That sounds fun mate.”

“No no,” Connor almost yelled as he shook his hands out in front of him. “I have a better idea. We could put the tent up and camp in the garden.....oh can we mummy please.” Connor clasped his hands together as he gave Charlie big puppy dog eyes.

“It’s fine with me,” Charlie answered. “So if Brax says yes you can.”

“Please Darryl.” Connor pouted as he looked up at him.

“Sure we can,” Brax answered. “Sounds like fun.”

“Yey,” Connor cheered as he jumped down from the chair. “I’m going to the garage to see if the tent is still there.” Connor said as he ran through the kitchen and out the back door of the house.

“Thank you.” Charlie said.

“For what?” Brax screwed his face up slightly confused.

“For agreeing to this camping thing with Connor.”

“Ah I love camping,” Brax smiled. “Maybe one day we could take him further afield than the back garden.”

“We?” Charlie shook her head. “No no, I like comfy beds in posh hotels,” Charlie said. “I don’t do camping in the outdoors.”

“So then why do you have a tent?” Brax laughed.

“Angelo bought it hoping they could go camping and fishing for a weekend,” Charlie answered. “Of course Connor isn’t interested in fishing so the camping never happened either.”

“Ah okay,” Brax exhaled. “Well still I could take him camping for a night or two if it was okay with you.”

“If Connor wants to you can.” Charlie answered.

Brax smiled. “Sounds good although I am not sure if Angelo would be too happy with me taking his son away on a camping trip without you.”

“Maybe not.” Charlie shook her head.

“Just have to convince you to come then eh,” Brax raised his eyebrows. “You’ll love it once you get there and you’ll get to spend the whole weekend with me and Connor. You’re two favourite guys.”

“My two favourite guys huh?” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she leaned forward in the table so she was closer to Brax. “Connor for sure but the jury’s still out on you I’m afraid.” Charlie teased before she placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“I found it,” Connor shouted as he ran back into the kitchen, causing Charlie and Brax to pull apart. “But I can’t reach it.”

“That’s fine, Brax will get it when we need to use it,” Charlie answered. “Now go upstairs and get changed from your pyjamas and then clean your teeth so you are all ready for Bianca’s.” Charlie said and Connor ran from the room, doing as he was told.

“I need to get going,” Brax said as he looked down to his watch as he stood up from the kitchen table. “See you tomorrow.” Brax said as he placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s cheek.

“Yeah see you.” Charlie wouldn’t see Brax till the next day as he was working a double shift in the restaurant as they were currently understaffed. As Brax closed the door, Charlie stood up from the table and collected the plates together and took them over to the sink, before laying them down. She exhaled lightly as she walked back over to the table to clear away the rest of the items before she had to take Connor to Bianca’s and head to work herself.

“Morning sleepy head,” Romeo smiled down at Ruby as her eyes fluttered open. “I thought about making you breakfast in bed and bringing it up to you but I didn’t really want to wake you.”

“So you could go and make it now, right?” Ruby gave him a cheeky grin.

“Well I could,” Romeo smiled as he moved closer to Ruby in the bed. “Or now that you are awake...” Romeo raised his eyebrows as he placed a soft kiss on Ruby’s lips.

“Mmm,” Ruby moaned into the kiss, letting it deepen. Romeo ran his hand over her stomach as he slipped his tongue into her mouth. “Ooh.” Ruby pulled back from the kiss.

“Hmmm.” Romeo exhaled as he started kissing her neck.

“No, Romeo stop,” Ruby pushed Romeo away from her as she clutched her hands over her stomach.

“I think my waters just broke.”

“Oh,” Romeo widened his eyes as he looked down. “Okay so....eh....” Romeo scratched the back of his head. “I need to get you to the hospital right?”

“That would be a good idea yeah,” Ruby answered. “Oh Romeo I don’t like this feeling.” Ruby grabbed his hand and squeezed it hard as she had a contraction.

“Hey hey, it’s going to be okay,” Romeo said. “Take a deep breath with me,” Romeo took a deep breath in as Ruby did the same before they both exhaled. “I’ll just get some clothes on then I’ll drive you to the hospital oaky?” Romeo said as he got off the bed and ran over to his drawers where he pulled out a pair of boxers. Pulling his other pair from him and leaving them lying on the floor, he put on his clean pair before opening the next drawer and pulling out a pair of board shorts and lastly pulling out a t-shirt and putting in on. He ran over to his wardrobe and pulled out a pair of flip flops before he ran out of the room in a panic. Ruby pushed herself up from the bed just as Romeo ran back into the room and took her hand, helping her out of them room. She didn’t bother getting changed into clothes from her pyjamas. How she looked wasn’t important right now and she’d just need to change when she got to the hospital anyways.

“Romeo you need to call Charlie for me.” Ruby said as he led her down the stairs and through the house.

“I’ll call her once we get you to the hospital.” Romeo said as he walked Ruby out of the house towards his car.

“No, I need you to call her now.” Ruby raised her voice.

“I don’t.....where’s your mobile?” Romeo questioned as he helped her into the car.

“On your bedside table.” Ruby answered.

“I’ll be right back,” Romeo ran into the house and up to his room grabbing the phone from the bedside table and dialling Charlie’s number on the way down the stairs, wanting to get Ruby to the hospital as quickly as he could.

Thank you all so much. :wub:

Chapter 90

Charlie was in the room with Ruby, holding her hand and rubbing her forehead. She’d been in hospital for almost 6 hours and she’d finally been told it was time to start pushing. Rachel and Tony had been called and were now waiting outside the room, along with Romeo for news on how Ruby was doing. “Charlie, I don’t want to do this.” Ruby shook her head as she looked up at her mother. Charlie exhaled as she looked to her terrified looking daughter.

“You’ll be fine,” Charlie spoke positively. “I’m going to be right here beside you.”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “Can’t you do it for me?”

“You know I can’t.” Charlie shook her head as she rubbed Ruby’s forehead.

“I need to.....” Ruby took a deep breath as she rested her chin against her chest, pushing down as best she could. “Ahh,” Ruby exhaled as she leaned herself back against the pillow. “You didn’t tell me how painful this was.”

“It’s different for every woman Ruby,” The midwife said. “And you are doing great already. A few more pushes and she’ll be crowning.” Ruby gave a few more pushes, followed by a little scream, trying to relief some of the pain. “I can see her head, you’re doing fantastic,” The midwife smiled as Charlie continued to hold Ruby’s hand, Ruby squeezing hers so tightly, but Charlie trying her best not to say anything, for she knew that Ruby was going through much worse.

“I need a minute,” Ruby’s breathing was heavy as she tried to control it. “I can’t do this, it’s too hard.”

“Yes you can,” Charlie gave her a smile of encouragement. “You heard the midwife, you are doing fantastic.”

“You ready to go again?” The midwife questioned and Ruby shook her head.

“No I don’t want too,” Ruby shook her head. “But I know I need too.” Ruby once again dug her chin into her chest as she clenched her teeth together, her face getting redder and redder as she pushed with all her might.

“That’s it,” The midwife smiled. “I can see the head. Just a few more pushes and you will be done.”

Ruby pushed and pushed and pushed. She pushed far more than a few more pushes but eventually the sounds of her daughter crying could be heard in the room. As soon as she heard the baby she closed her eyes and breathed a sigh of relief as she fell back onto the pillow. “Well done sweetheart, you did amazing.” Charlie whispered into her ear before placing a soft kiss on her daughter’s forehead.

The midwife cut the cord and took the baby to be cleaned up before walking her over to Ruby who was still lying with her eyes closed. “Here she is,” The midwife smiled down at Ruby. “She’s perfectly healthy.”

“I don’t want to see her,” Ruby shook her head, keeping her eyes tightly shut. “Just take her Charlie, take her to her parents.”

“Rubes sweetie -” Charlie went to talk, but Ruby cut her off.

“I don’t want to see her,” Ruby raised her voice this time as she repeated herself. “Please Charlie; just take her to her parents.”

Charlie exhaled as she could see the tear escape from her daughter’s eye. She looked to the midwife and took the baby in her arms. Looking down at the baby, she felt herself welling up at the fact that she wasn’t going to be called Grandma by her or even get to be any part in her life considering Tony and Rachel’s move to Boston. “She’s gorgeous Rubes, just like you when you were -”

“I don’t want to know,” Ruby yelled. “Now just get her away from me.”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she walked out of the room and into the hallway where, Rachel, Tony and Romeo had all been waiting. “Oh...” Rachel put her hand over her mouth as she stood up from the chair. Charlie was silent as she handed Rachel the baby. “Charlie she’s gorgeous.” Rachel gushed as a tear of joy rolled down her cheek.

“She is,” Tony choked back as he ran his hand over her forehead. “Hey baby.”

“How’s Rubes?” Romeo asked. “Can I see her?”

Charlie nodded lightly and Romeo disappeared into the room. “We can’t thank Ruby enough for this,” Rachel said, unable to take her eyes off the baby. “She’s doing alright isn’t she?”

“Health wise yes,” Charlie answered. “Probably going to be a hard couple of months for her though.”

“I’m sure it will be,” Tony answered. “And if she changes her mind about what type of adoption she wants, if she wants it more open, me and Rachel are willing to accommodate that. If she ever wants to come around to the house to see the child, then we’ll allow that, it’s okay.”

“What for the six more weeks you are going to be living here you mean?” Charlie questioned. “Don’t you think that will be harder? That she starts to bond with the child and then you leave?”

“Oh....I didn’t think about it like that,” Tony answered. “We’re just trying to make this as easy as we can.”

“I know,” Charlie answered. “How about you just concentrate on your daughter and leave me to deal with mine.” Charlie said before turning around and walking back into the room, leaving Tony and Rachel to bond with their daughter.

“So do I never get to see the baby?” Connor questioned as Charlie tucked him into his bed.

“Well you won’t see her here with Ruby, because remember we told you that Ruby isn’t going to be her mummy?” Charlie said and Connor gave a little nod as he moved Darryl the lion closer to him.

“Rachel is going to be her mummy.” Connor said.

“That’s right,” Charlie answered. “So, you might see her around town for the next month or so with

Rachel and Tony but then they are moving to Boston.”

“That’s in America,” Connor said proudly. “Ruby showed me.”

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “So anyways, Ruby comes home from hospital tomorrow and she might be a little sad for a while so we all need to be nice and help cheer her up, okay?”

“Is she sad because she won’t have the baby?” Connor questioned.

“Yeah, sort of.” Charlie answered.

“So then she should have her baby with her and she won’t be sad.” Connor spoke quietly, not fully understanding why Ruby wasn’t keeping her baby.

“I know,” Charlie rubbed her sons head. “But Ruby feels she can’t be a mummy right now.”

Connor scrunched his face up. “Adults are too confusing.”

“We are,” Charlie answered. “It just gets more confusing as you get older.”

“That’s why I am going to stay a kid forever and evers,” Connor exhaled. “I think it’s best.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “I think you should too,” Charlie said. “Stay my little cutie 5 year old forever.”

“Uh-huh,” Connor nodded. “I will.”

Charlie smiled lightly as she ran her hand over his head before placing a soft kiss on his forehead. She exhaled as she looked down to his little innocent face. “Goodnight sweet pea,” Charlie smiled.

“Love you.”

“Love you more.” Connor answered.

“Love you the most.” Charlie answered.

“Love you more and the most.” Connor said and Charlie laughed lightly as she placed another kiss on his forehead.

“Ahh you win,” Charlie smiled. “Now, see you in the morning,” Charlie said before she left the room, leaving her son to sleep. She walked back down the stairs and through to the kitchen to put the kettle on, when the doorbell rang. She exhaled lightly as she walked across the room, not really feeling like having any company. She opened the door to see Morag standing at the other side. “Morag,” Charlie smiled, glad to see her step-mother. “I forgot I even called you today.”

“Well I’m sure you’ve had a lot on,” Morag answered as she stepped into the house. “Ruby still at the hospital?” Morag questioned and Charlie nodded lightly.

“Yeah and I’ve just put Connor to bed, so he’s just missed you.”

“I’m sure it’ll be a nice surprise for him in the morning.” Morag answered.

“Yeah, eh....I’ve just put the kettle on to boil if you’d like a coffee?” Charlie questioned as she made her way through to the kitchen with Morag following her.

“Sounds great,” Morag answered. “We’ll have a coffee and a chat,” Morag said as she took off her jacket and hung it over the kitchen table, before walking over to Charlie, and placing her hand onto her back. “And don’t worry; we’re going to help Ruby through this.” Charlie gave Morag a thankful smile before reaching for the coffee cups to make the coffees.

Archived