Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Ah man Connor wasn’t supposed to call Darryl Brax! My bad. Let’s just forget about that..... :P Thanks again for the comments.

Chapter 131

Charlie opened the drawer of the cabinet in the living room, pulling out the papers. She walked over to the couch where Brax was sitting and took a deep breath before she handed the papers to him as she sat down next to him. “What the.....” Brax rubbed the back of his head, looking very confused. “They can’t do that, can they?”

Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “Seems like they have reasons. If they’ve got a lawyer and plan on taking me to court for him then you know the lawyer must think they have a chance.”

“Charlie they’re not going to get him, alright, they won’t,” Brax placed the documents on the coffee table and pulled Charlie closer to him, wrapping his arm around her in a comforting hug. “You’re his mother and he belongs with you. What possible reasons could they have to take him?”

“Maybe they don’t like that we’re living together,” Charlie sniffed back. “They can stop that. Or at least try. If they don’t like it and think it’s bad for Connor.”

“I don’t want to be the reason,” Brax exhaled. “I don’t want to be the reason that you are going to have to go through this fight and stress.”

“You might not be,” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t know what the reason is yet, I....he’s my little boy Brax, he’s my whole life please don’t let them take him from me,” Charlie broke into heavier tears, the thought of losing her son alone breaking her heart. “He’s mine....he’s not theirs to take. He’s my kid and he should be with his mum. Me, not them. A child should be with their mother.” Brax could feel Charlie’s tears soak into his shirt.

“Hey hey,” Brax lightly rubbed her arm. “We’ll call Morag and she’ll come and help us. You’re not going to lose him. Even if that means we can’t live together or....you know, Charlie I’m not going to let you lose him.”

“I wish it was your choice,” Charlie sniffed back. “But it’s not going to be in our hands, is it? It’s up to the courts and they might see me unfit for whatever reason and then I’d lose him.”

“Baby no court in their right mind is going take a little boy away from his mother. You’re a great mother and you do nothing wrong. There is no reason for them to take Connor from you. Carla and Roberto....they’re just hurting and they want a piece of Angelo and that’s probably all this is.”

“I think it’s more Roberto than anyone,” Charlie wiped a tear from her cheek. “He was annoyed he didn’t get much from the will...maybe he thinks if he has Connor he’ll have the restaurant and the money too. I’ll give him that if it’s what he wants. Anything for him to not have my boy.” Brax continued to hold her as he placed a comforting kiss on her temple. He wasn’t quite sure how yet, but he was going to make sure that Connor wouldn’t be taken from his mother, no matter what it meant he had to do, he lightly rubbed her arm in comfort as Connor came running into the house with Zak at his feet.

“Are you coming out?” Connor questioned.

“Sure,” Charlie pushed back her tears. “Just give me a second, yeah?”

“Why is you crying?” Connor sounded most concerned for his mother as he put his hand onto her cheek and rubbed it gently.

“Mummy is just being silly,” Charlie sniffed back. “Now, have you taught this puppy to fetch yet?” Charlie cleared her throat, trying to compose herself.

“No,” Connor shook his head. “Well he gets it but he doesn’t bring it back.”

“Ahh well that’s not good,” Charlie tried her best to sound upbeat. “We can’t have a dog that doesn’t fetch, can we?”

“No,” Connor gave a little giggle. “You and Darryl will need to help me.” Connor said.

“Right Zakky boy,” Brax stood up from the couch and lifted the puppy into his arms, holding him so his face was staring straight into his. “We will teach you how to fetch and you will do it, yes?” Zak cocked his head to the side before he licked Brax’s nose. Connor giggled as Charlie wrapped her arms around him and placed a kiss on his temple. Brax screwed his face up as he put Zak down and the dog ran off back towards the back door. “C’mon squirt, let’s teach this dog of yours to fetch properly.” Brax said as he pulled Connor over to him tickling at his side, Connor bursting into laughter. Charlie smiled at the scene, hoping it wouldn’t be one of the last times this would happen. Brax let Connor go and he ran from the room after Zak. Brax looked down to Charlie and held his hand out and Charlie put her hand in his and stood up from the couch, neither of them saying anything, but the looks on both of their faces being enough. She exhaled lightly before they walked through the house together and outside to be with Connor and Zak.

“Bee, I saw the baby,” Connor ran excitedly into the diner and over to Bianca, who was sitting waiting on them at the table. “It’s like an alien, see.” Connor lifted up the scan picture from his hand and passed it to Bianca.

“Aww Connor it’s a baby not an alien.” Bianca gave a little laugh as she looked up to Charlie as she took a seat opposite her friend.

“Hmm.” Connor now looked unsure.

Charlie laughed at her son. “He was very excited to be at the scan with us.”

“It was cool,” Connor said. “The baby waved to me and everything,” Connor grinned. “But it still looked like an alien. That’s weird. I think it actually might be.”

Bianca shook her head at the boy. “Brax back to work?” Bianca questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie sighed. “But he was like a kid in a candy shop at the scan,” Charlie shook her head. “Oh my gosh there’s her foot, there’s her little hand, there’s her ear...” Charlie gave a little laugh. “It’s actually pretty sweet. He gives off this hard man exterior but when it comes to me, Connor or the baby he really is a big softy.”

“Aww it must be nice though, seeing your child,” Bianca smiled. “I take it everything went okay?”

“Yeah everything is perfect,” Charlie smiled. “Well the sonographer did say that the baby was on the small side, but, it’s nothing to be worried about. And Ruby, Connor and Lily were little as well when they were born. Connor was the biggest at 6lbs exactly,” Charlie said. “Brax worried me because he said he was 10lbs when he was born and I didn’t fancy trying to push a 10lbs baby from there, but, yeah, it’s going to be a small one again.” Charlie looked rather pleased that she wasn’t going to have a Brax sized baby coming out of her in a few months time.

“Ah okay,” Bianca gave a smile as she looked down to the scan. “Looks all the cuter.”

“Yeah,” Charlie agreed. “And Brax was always telling me that the baby was going to be big and fat and squishy with all the food I eat but it was pretty sweet getting to bug him for being wrong.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“What are you like?” Bianca laughed. “So, do we know if it’s a boy or a girl?”

“No, we didn’t find out,” Charlie answered. “But Brax thinks it’s a girl, but I’d really like a little boy.”

Bianca gave a little smile, thinking she knew the reason Charlie wanted a boy, but wasn’t about to expand on it. “Ahh and what does Connor think?”

“Bianca I told you,” Connor sighed. “It’s an alien.”

“Well is it a boy alien or a girl alien?” Bianca questioned.

“They’re just aliens,” Connor answered. “I’m going for a pee mummy.”

“You need me to come with you?” Charlie questioned.

“No, I’ll go myself.” Connor answered.

“Well remember to wash your hands,” Charlie said and Connor nodded as he ran off to the toilets. “So, wait till you hear what I got in the mail yesterday.” Charlie took a deep breath as she prepared to tell her best friend about Roberto and Carla’s plans.

“Oh?” Bianca sounded intrigued. “Do tell.”

“Roberto and Carla are taking me to court for custody of Connor.” Charlie told her and Bianca looked gobsmacked.

“Are you being serious?” Bianca gasped.

“You think I’d make that up?” Charlie questioned.

“Well, no,” Bianca shook her head. “How can they? On what grounds? How....what?” Bianca looked confused.

“You look as confused as I feel,” Charlie sighed. “We have a court meeting on Thursday so I guess I’ll know more then.”

“Have you called Morag?” Bianca questioned.

“Yeah she’s coming down tomorrow,” Charlie answered. “Hopefully she’ll can stop it before it gets to court. I don’t really want Connor knowing so...” Charlie trailed off.

“Yeah, I get that,” Bianca said. “God being torn from his mother after just losing his father?” Bianca looked bewildered. “What are they thinking? He should be with you. It’s the best for him.”

“I honestly don’t know,” Charlie sighed. “I know now it’s all Roberto, but....well it’ll be a cold day in hell before I let my boy live with him. No one is going to take him away from me.”

“Surely no court will give them custody anyways?” Bianca questioned still shocked at what Charlie had told her.

“Well they’ve obviously got something to think they’ve got a chance.” Charlie sighed.

“But what?” Bianca questioned.

“That’s what I’m scared to find out.” Charlie sighed before lightly rubbing her stomach as she looked down to the menu, looking at what she could eat, but her mind wasn’t off thinking about what Roberto had against Charlie to make him think he could get custody.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments. I’m not so sure about this one so I hope its okay... :(

Chapter 132

Charlie pulled the box from under her bed and picked it up before she took a seat on the edge of her bed. She ran her hand over the box before she took the lid off. Taking a deep breath she lifted out a dress of her daughters and brought it up to her face, still smelling that sweet baby smell from her daughter. She lay the dress down on the bed next to her and looked through the box until she found Lily’s 20 week scan. She ran her hand over it before looking at it in more detail as she lifted the scan of the baby she was carrying now from the bedside table and compared them, trying to look for similarities between the two. “Mummy is scared baby girl,” Charlie exhaled as she put the scan pictures down and looked to the photo of Lily that sat on her bedside table. “Some days I feel totally fine about this baby and then others I....I can’t even think about it,” Charlie clicked her tongue.“It’s a strange world, right? I did everything right for you and you got taken from me and then I do everything I can not to get pregnant and I did....” Charlie exhaled. “I’m trying so hard for Brax and this child....” Charlie trailed off as she rubbed her stomach, managing a small smile as she felt the baby moving. “This child deserves love and a mother who’s always going to be there for him but right now I don’t know if I’ll can do that. Wendy said that once the baby is born I’ll most likely think differently. That I’ll love this little life and I’ll bond in my own time. That sometimes for new mothers love does grow and they don’t feel it as soon as they meet their baby, but they always, always grow to unconditionally love the child...” Charlie exhaled. “To be honest Lils I’m not scared about loving this baby. I know I’ll love him now, I do, I’ve learnt that I have enough love to still be able to love you and this new baby, it’s not about the love really, it’s....it’s more just me and my mind,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked through the box and picked out the picture of herself when she was around 5, 6 months pregnant, Angelo standing behind her and holding onto her stomach as his chin rested on her shoulder. “I want to bond with him, but I’m scared losing you is going to stop me. It’ll be easier right, to lose a child you haven’t bonded with? It won’t hurt as much...” Charlie wiped her hand across her face as she looked to the picture of Lily again. “I don’t want to think about losing this child but it’s not leaving my mind no matter how much I try. No matter how much Brax and Wendy tell me to take a deep breath, relax and take this one day at a time, that the chances of me losing this child are so low....I’ve been there, I’ve lost a child and the fear is always going to be with me,” Charlie said. “I’m still scared I’m going to lose Connor. I hate being away from him. I always want to be there and protect him,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Add a new baby to the mix and he’s at higher risk, right?” Charlie stopped talking as she heard footsteps on the stairs and gave a little smile as she saw Brax walking into the room, newly home from work.

“You alright?” Brax immediately looked concerned as he saw the look of sadness on her face. Charlie gave a little nod as he sat down on the bed next to her, putting the dress and scan pictures over his knee. He looked into the box and saw some of Lily’s things, some pictures of her and smiled lightly as he wrapped his arm around Charlie, Charlie resting her head against his chest.

“Do you think I am carrying the same?” Charlie questioned. “In this picture here, with Lily, to now?”

Brax exhaled as he looked to the photo in Charlie’s hand before looking down at her stomach. “You look pregnant there and now,” Brax screwed his face up. “I don’t know, I -”

“I think I’m carrying like I was with Lily,” Charlie said as she put the picture down in the box before picking up the dress and scan picture of Lily. “It means I’m having a girl.”

“Surely it just means you’re pregnant,” Brax exhaled. “Stop looking too much into it, Charlie. It’s not good for anyone.” Brax sighed. He understood why Charlie was doing this, but he didn’t want her to stress out too much.

“I can’t help it,” Charlie exhaled. “I just wish it was time for the baby to be born.”

“Me too,” Brax answered. “But, the next 4 months, they’re probably going to go by before you know it.”

“Will feel really slow if my son gets taken away from me,” Charlie sighed. “If I didn’t have enough to get through now I have this to deal with.”

“Morag is the best at what she does,” Brax rubbed her arm in comfort. “And besides, you’re his mother. Courts like always give the child to their mother and you’ve done nothing wrong, so there are no doubts about it.” Brax said.

“You’ll be there with me right?” Charlie questioned. “At the court house?”

“Of course,” Brax nodded his head. “I wouldn’t be anywhere else,” Charlie gave him a smile. “And once all this is over, me, you and Connor should take a nice little break. Have a few days, where it’s just us and Zakky boy too. Get a nice cabin by the lake or something, relaxing and just....being a family.”

“Mmm sounds great.” Charlie smiled.

“A little holiday before this one arrives, right?” Brax smiled as he brought his hand down to her stomach and rubbed it gently.

“Yeah, before the chaos begins.” Charlie said as she looked up to him and gave him a grin.

“As long as the 4 of us are together it can be as chaotic as it likes,” Brax gave a little laugh before placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen for a while before they pulled back. “Now how about we have one of those nice long bubble baths with some of our exquisite apple juice champagne?” Brax questioned as he rubbed her cheek.

“Sounds good,” Charlie smiled. “But Connor finished all the apple juice before he went to bed so it’ll need to be orange juice.”

“Orange juice champagne?” Brax questioned. “Well that’s even better,” Brax said and Charlie laughed lightly. “I’ll go get started and you clean this away yeah?” Brax rubbed Charlie’s cheek as he stood up from the bed.

“Sure.” Charlie gave him a smile as she watched him walk out of the room. She took a deep breath as she put the things back into the box, while leaving the scan of their baby on her beside cabinet for now. She picked up the photo of Lily and ran her hand over her little smiling face, her little dimples showing as she smiled. Charlie placed a soft kiss onto the photo, before putting it back in its place. She put the box of Lily’s things back under the bed before picking up the scan photo and smiling as she walked with it down the stairs, and into the kitchen where Brax was pouring the orange juice into champagne flutes. She walked over to the fridge and lifted up a coloured letter fridge magnet and put the scan against the fridge before putting the magnet back down, holding it in place, next to a picture of Connor with Lily. Brax saw what she was doing and gave her a smile. Their 12 week scan was stuffed away into a drawer in the cabinet, so Brax was surprised but happy with what she’d done with this one.

“That looks good there.” Brax smiled as he walked over to the fridge with the bottle of orange juice.

“Just until we can put a picture of the real thing up there,” Charlie smiled. “Connor and Lily are there so our baby should be too, right?” Charlie questioned.

“Sure,” Brax gave a smile as he put the bottle back into the fridge before smiling as he looked to the scan picture as he reached for the glasses. “Now, let’s go get this bath, yeah?” Brax smiled as he handed one glass to Charlie before taking her other hand into his and leading her back up the stairs towards the bathroom.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Chapter 133

Charlie was lying on the couch, her head resting against the arm of it as her feet were resting over Brax’s knees as he lightly massaged them. “I am so getting one of these every night from now on, by the way.” Charlie exhaled, relaxed as she looked to Brax.

“You think?” Brax questioned.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “Need to be handy for something, right?” Charlie grinned cheekily as Brax continued to rub her foot. “You want a drink?” Charlie sat up on the couch, moving closer to Brax.

“Yeah actually, I could do with a drink.” Brax answered.

“Great, while you’re in the kitchen I’ll have an orange juice,” Charlie once again grinned cheekily. “Oh and maybe you could make me a bacon sandwich. With some peanut butter on there too. And some pickled onions on the side. Maybe a bag of chips and some ginger snaps.” Brax raised his eyebrows as he looked to his girlfriend.

“You’ve just had dinner,” Brax sighed. “And you ate Connor’s leftovers.”

“Well I’m feeling a little peckish.” Charlie answered.

“Just a little?” Brax gave a little laugh as he raised one eyebrow. “But hey, with all this food you’re eating I’m surprised baby is little. But, of course, I knew I’d be right.” Brax nudged Charlie’s arm.

“Excuse me?” Charlie gasped. “I think I was the one who said the baby would be a small one. You said it was going to be fat and squishy and chubby and all them things.” Charlie said.

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “Pretty sure it was the other way around eh,” Brax laugh. “It’s alright to be wrong sometimes though eh, don’t worry.” Brax teased as he rubbed her stomach. “Pip will forgive you.”

Charlie shook her head as she smiled at him. “Kitchen now,” Charlie pointed to the kitchen. “Make me some food, you know you want too.”

“Since it’s for my Pip,” Brax said as he stood up. Zak looked up to him and jumped up from his bed, following him through to the kitchen. “You wanting a drink?” Brax looked to Zak as he looked to his water bowl. He picked the bowl up and turned on the tap, putting some water into the bowl before placing it down for him to take a drink, before making a start to Charlie’s sandwich.

Charlie sighed as the sounds of the doorbell could be heard in the room. She pushed herself up from the couch and walked over to it, opening it up to see Morag at the other side. “Morag,” Charlie gave a smile as her stepmother walked into the house. “How you doing?”

“Good,” Morag answered. “How about you? How’s the baby?” Morag questioned.

“Yeah, going fine.” Charlie answered as they walked through to the kitchen, Charlie showing Morag their scan picture from the fridge.

“Good,” Morag looked down to the picture as she managed a little smile. “Where’s Connor?”

“He’s putting away the hundreds of clothes we have for the baby.” Charlie answered.

“Right,” Morag nodded. “Well I got in touch with Roberto’s lawyer and...” Morag shook her head. “I tried Charlie but looks like we are going to court.”

“How can they even...” Charlie trailed off as Connor came running into the room.

“Grandma?” Connor questioned. “What are you doing here at a school time?” Connor looked confused. Normally Morag came to visit over the weekend, not through the week.

“Oh I was just missing you lots so thought I’d come for a visit.” Morag smiled down at the boy.

Connor grinned as he ran over to Zak and lifted him up. “Have you seen Zak? He’s my puppy.”

“Aww he’s lovely.” Morag lightly patted his head as Zak tried to lick her. Connor giggled as he put Zak down and Zak ran off to get one of his toys to play with.

“Morag,” Brax smiled as he looked around to her. “Can I get you a sandwich or anything?”

“No, I’m fine thanks, Darryl,” Morag answered. “How’s he’s been since Angelo...” Morag said as she gestured her head to the living room where Connor was fighting with Zak over a rope toy.

“He had a couple of nights where he wouldn’t sleep, felt a bit wary in the car for a week or so, but, he’s alright so far. Maybe it’s not poured out yet, or, I don’t know, but so far he’s doing fine.” Charlie smiled lightly as she looked out to her son.

“And what about you?” Morag asked.

“It was hard you know, but, Brax has been great.” Charlie gave her boyfriend a smile.

“Good,” Morag smiled. “We just need to get over this next little hurdle and hopefully everything will run smoothly for you. You’ve not had the best start to the year, have you?”

Brax huffed. “You can say that again.” Brax turned the bacon in from under the grill before reaching into the cupboard and pulling out a bag of chips and the pickled onions.

“Some picnic you’re having, Darryl.” Morag gave a little laugh.

“It’s not for me,” Brax answered as he glared at Charlie. “Apparently Pip is hungry.”

“Ah I see,” Morag nodded lightly. “Anyways, Charlie, have you told Connor about what’s happening yet?” Morag spoke quietly in case Connor heard. This had to come from Charlie, not Morag. Charlie shook her head lightly as she stared out at her son, still fighting Zak for the rope toy. “He needs to know. You know they’re going to want to talk to him, right?

Charlie pursed her lips together as she gave a little nod. “I just didn’t want to say anything unless absolute necessary. You said you’d try to stop it,” Charlie exhaled. “So until I knew then I figured I shouldn’t say anything.”

“Well you should probably talk to him now though,” Brax chipped in. “Go do it now then once you have your feast shall be waiting on you.”

“Yeah I know I need to,” Charlie took a deep breath. “Okay,” She walked through to the living room and took a seat on the couch, smiling as she watched Connor throwing the rope toy and Zak running across the room to collect it. “Bud can you come sit here for a while.” Charlie patted on the couch next to her. Connor ran over and sat next to her and gave her a strange look.

“Am I in trouble?” Connor questioned.

“No of course not,” Charlie rubbed the back of his head as she took another deep breath. “You know grandpa and grandma?” Charlie said and Connor nodded his head.

“Of course I know them silly,” Connor answered. “Grandpa isn’t being nice right now.”

“No, I know that, but.....” Charlie pursed her lips together. “They miss you when they don’t get to see you, so, they’re trying to get you to go live in Melbourne with them.” Charlie exhaled lightly.

“You’re sending me away?” Connor screwed his face up. “Why?” Connor’s little nose started to flare and Charlie could see he was about to cry.

“I’m not sending you away sweetheart,” Charlie wrapped her arms around her son, pulling him up onto her knee. “I don’t want you to go to their place either but we need to go to court to stop them getting you. Do you understand?”

Connor shook his head before looking down. “Does Darryl not want me with you then?” Charlie rubbed her sons back. “Or are you sending me away because of the baby?”

“Of course not,” Charlie shook her head as she felt her eyes stinging with tears. “You’re a great big brother and are going to be amazing with this baby. Me and Brax, we want nothing more than for the 4 of us to be a happy little family, alright?”

“So why are you sending me away?” Connor sniffed back as a tear rolled down his cheek.

“We’re not,” Charlie took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. “It’s Roberto and Carla, okay, they’re trying to get you to live with them and we need to go to court, okay. But Grandma Morag is here to help us and we’ll not let the courts give you to Roberto and Carla, right?” Charlie continued to cuddle her son close to her. “But when we are at the court house you’ll need to speak to a man or woman and they'll ask you who you want to live with and you just need to tell them the truth, okay?” Charlie rubbed his back again as she placed a soft kiss on his temple.

“They should know,” Connor cried. “I want to be with you,” Connors crying became almost uncontrollable at the thought of being taken from his mother. Charlie held him in her arms as a tear rolled down her cheek. She hated seeing her son so upset. “Don’t let them take me mummy. I don’t want to live with them. Please don’t please.” Connor pleaded as he wrapped his arms around her neck holding tightly onto her. Charlie shushed her son as she rubbed his back, trying to calm him down from his state.

Morag and Brax watched from the doorway, both of them shaking their heads at the sight. “If only Roberto could see him now eh.” Brax sighed as he watched a distressed looking Charlie comforting her son down from his state, as he hoped that all went their way on Thursday.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Chapter 134

Charlie, Brax, Morag and Connor were at the court house, waiting on Roberto and Carla and their lawyer to come. “Mrs Rosetta?” Charlie turned around and looked at the woman walking towards them.

“It’s Miss Buckton now, thanks.” Charlie corrected as she shook her hand.

“Miss Buckton,” The woman spoke again as she smiled down to Connor who was holding onto Charlie’s hand. “And you must be Connor,” The woman bent down to his level. “I’m Alison and you’re going to come hang out with me when the adults are talking, alright?” Connor hid his head against Charlie as he moved his body so he was standing behind his mother. “Is he a shy one?” The lady asked as she straightened up.

“No he’s far from shy eh,” Brax answered. “He just doesn’t want to be taken away from his mother.”

Alison exhaled as she looked to Brax. “Well the courts will decide what’s best for him,” Alison said before looking back to Connor. “You have to come with me now mate alright? I’ll take you into a play room and you get to play with whatever you want.” Connor gave Alison a quick glance.

“I want to stay with my mum.” Connor answered shyly as he kept a grip of Charlie’s top.

“Sorry son but you’ll need to come with me.” Alison said.

“No.” Connor yelled as he threw his hand out, lightly hitting the lady’s hand as she tried to take a hold of his hand.

“Hey squirt,” Charlie pulled Connor from his grip on her and bent down to his level. “I promise you it won’t be for long, okay?” Charlie lightly rubbed her son’s cheek. “You go play in the play room. I bet there are some really cool toys in there.” Charlie spoke softly to her son.

“Will they have lego?” Connor spoke quietly as he looked to his mother. Charlie looked up to Alison for an answer and Alison gave a little nod.

“They do buddy,” Charlie smiled. “How about you go make something really cool then once I’m done in the court room I’ll come see it. How does that sound?”

“Okay,” Connor nodded. “But you won’t be long okay, mummy. Don’t be long.”

“I’ll try not to be,” Charlie rubbed Connor’s head. “I’ll see you real soon, okay?”

“Okay,” Connor sighed as he looked up and saw Roberto and Carla walking down the hall. Roberto gave him a big smile and wave and Connor scowled as he looked to Alison. “Let’s go then.” Connor held his hand out to the side and Alison took his hand into and led him away from his mother to the play room. Charlie held her hand out and Brax took it in his and helped her to standing before wrapping his arm around her, showing support.

“You have to be kidding me?” Roberto huffed. “What is he doing here?”

“He’s my boyfriend,” Charlie answered. “He’s here to support me because you are going to try to rip my son from my life.”

“I, for the record, Charlie, don’t want this, okay, it’s all Roberto,” Carla said. “I’d love to see more of Connor but him living full-term with us isn’t the best for him. I know he needs to be with you.”

“Nonsense,” Roberto raised his voice. “I was brought up by my grandparents and I’m fine, right.”

“Depends on what your definition of fine is,” Brax mumbled. “No fine man would want to rip their grandchild away from his mother.”

“Maybe it’s you I -”

“Okay,” Morag stepped in-between Brax and Roberto as Roberto’s lawyer came along from the toilets. “If we are all ready, let’s go inside.”

Roberto, Carla, their lawyer and Morag started walking along to the room. Charlie looked up to Brax and Brax felt his heart breaking a little for her at the look of fear in her eyes. “Whatever it takes baby, okay, I promise I’ll do whatever it takes.” Brax exhaled lightly as he rubbed her back, before they walked hand in hand into the room.

Connor put pieces of the lego together as Alison watched. She smiled lightly as he stuck his tongue out a little, the look of pure concentration on his face. “So Connor, you like playing with Lego do you?”

“Yeah,” Connor answered. “It’s fun. I have loads at home and used to have loads at daddy’s too but he went to heaven to be with Lily.”

“Ahh, who’s Lily?” Alison questioned.

“She’s my baby sister but she went to heaven when she was really little,” Connor answered. “That’s when daddy left mummy and me,” Connor picked up another piece of lego and put in onto the other piece. “Daddy wasn’t nice for a while but before he died he was the best again.” Connor exhaled sadly.

“I bet you miss him.” Alison said.

“Yeah,” Connor exhaled. “But mummy’s boyfriend boyfriend Darryl is so nice. He’s the best man to me after daddy.”

“Ahh that’s good,” Alison smiled. “So you get on well with Darryl?”

“Oh yes.” Connor nodded.

“What do you like about him?” Alison questioned.

“He’s tall,” Connor stopped building with the lego and looked up to Alison. “He has big muscles too so he’s really strong. We were painting the baby’s room and he lifted the cot all by himself,” Connor nodded his head as he spoke. “He did.”

“Aww wow,” Alison smiled. “He’s really strong then hmm?”

“Yeah,” Connor gave a sort of giggle. “And he’s funny. He’s is, he makes me and mummy laugh. And he makes nice pancakes for breakfast. He doesn’t like soccer much but he still plays with me all the time because it’s my favourite. And he took me to get some new boots. He bought me the coolest ones. They are blue and yellow,” Connor grinned. “He loves to surf and he got me a boogie board and is going to show me how to surf. It’ll be really cool. Do you surf?” Connor questioned as he gave Alison a wondering look.

“No no.” Alison shook her head.

“Oh,” Connor scratched the side of his head. “You should it’s fun.”

“Yeah?” Alison questioned. “Maybe one day I’ll try it.”

“You should get Darryl to show you. He’s good at showing you what to do,” Connor gave a nod. “He wouldn’t mind. He likes to help I think cos he eh....” Connor paused for a moment before taking a drink of the orange juice that was on the table. “Well he helps me with my homework so it must mean he likes helping ay?”

“Yeah he must,” Alison answered. “Sounds like Darryl is really good with you.”

“Oh yes,” Connor said. “We’ve been to the movies and bowling and we go out for dinner sometimes too. And he reads me bedtime stories. He’s the best at doing the voice for the giant,” Connor told her. “He does it really really good but don’t tell mummy I said that or she might feel sad.” Connor shook his head lightly.

“You’re secret is safe with me,” Alison smiled down at Connor as he picked up the lego again, going to finish building the windmill. “So you like being at home with your mum and Darryl?”

“Uh-huh,” Connor nodded. “We have lots of fun. And when the baby comes it’ll be even more fun.” Connor told her, a big grin on his face, and Alison smiled at his enthusiasm for the new baby.

“So, I hear your grandma and grandpa live in Melbourne?” Alison questioned.

“Yup.” Connor nodded.

“Do you get to see them much?” Alison questioned.

“Uhm sometimes,” Connor answered. “Me and mummy were there to bury daddy and grandpa was really mean. He shouted to me and my mummy. And he made me go to a fishing place and I hate fishing,” Connor screwed his face up. “It’s smelly and boring.” Connor exhaled.

“I see,” Alison nodded. “So you wouldn’t like you see them more?”

“Well not grandpa,” Connor shook his head. “Unless he be’s nice again.”

“So you don’t think it would ever be fun to go live with them then?” Alison questioned.

“Oh no,” Connor shook his head. “They’re old and I’d miss my mummy too much. I just want to live with my mummy. She’s the best ever, my mum, she is,” Connor nodded his head, like he was agreeing with himself. “Really, I’m lucky.”

“And I’m sure your mummy will think you are a lovely little boy.” Alison said.

“Of course,” Connor’s voice went higher. “She’s always telling me how much she loves me and how great I am. She always says she’s the lucky one to have a son like me but you know what?” Connor questioned. “I’m lucky for getting her as my mummy. She’s the best person in the world and I love her the most.” Connor said. Alison smiled at Connor’s innocence. She didn’t really expect a reply from him there.

“Well sounds like you’ve got a very good home life hmm.” Alison smiled as she watched Connor with the lego before looking back down to the paperwork and started filling out the information. If it was up to her she’d let Connor stay at home, but it wasn’t her choice. She just had to report back to the judge and he would have the power to decide.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 135

Everyone was sitting around the table, ready to talk. The judge looked to Roberto and Carla and their lawyer, Ian, before looking to Charlie, Brax and Morag, noticing the support Brax’s was giving Charlie, by keeping a hold of her hand from under the table. “If we are all ready?”

“I’m sure we are,” Morag answered. “Ready to get this nonsense over with.”

“What’s nonsense is that she thinks she can use you as a lawyer,” Roberto huffed. “Did you know she is her step mother?” Roberto said as he looked up to the judge.

“I wasn’t aware of that no,” The judge shook his head. “But knowing Ms Bellingham I do believe she will act professionally and if she believed that it was in the best interest for Connor to be removed for the family home then she would say so, correct?” The judge looked to Morag, waiting on a reply.

“Yes,” Morag gave a nod. “Although I’d be crazy if I believed that,” Morag answered. “Charlie is an amazing mother and has nothing but love for that child. She gives him all he needs and more.”

“He needs a father,” Roberto spat. “And I’m not letting no river rat like him be anywhere near my grandson.”

“River rat?” The judge looked confused as he looked from Morag to Roberto and then to Brax. “Mr?” The judge looked to Brax questioningly.

“Braxton. Darryl Braxton,” Brax told him. “The river boys, eh....my brothers and their friends. It’s a gang. They doss about, surf -”

“Deal drugs, robberies, beat people up.” Roberto added, almost spitefully.

“Is this true, Mr Braxton?” The judge questioned.

“It’s what they do,” Brax sighed. “I have not been associated with them for 2 years at least now your honour,” Brax exhaled lightly. “It’s not a life I see fit to live and I’ve had nothing to do with my brothers since leaving he boys.”

“I see,” The judge nodded. Both admiring Brax’s honesty and seeing he was being truthfully. “Mr Rosetta, he seems a reformed character, don’t you think?”

“No,” Roberto angrily banged his fist on the table. “You believe him?”

“I’ve always believed I am a good judge of character, Mr Rosetta,” The judge stared down at him with raised eyebrows before looking to Carla. “And Mrs Rosetta, could you tell me your concerns for Connor staying with his mother and this man?”

“I eh,” Carla shook her head as she felt Roberto glaring down on her. “Roberto is the one who sees that Connor needs to be removed. He has the issues, not me.”

“So why are you here fighting for my boy?” Charlie spoke for the first time, her voice already sounding like she was going to cry.

“She’s a good wife,” Roberto said. “Knows how to support her husband. Maybe if you knew better Angelo wouldn’t have left you after Lily died.”

Charlie pursed her lips together and Brax squeezed her hand a little tighter, showing support. “With all due respect, Roberto, you only know Angelo’s side of the story. I’m sure there’s been stuff changed or left out.”

“Nah, my boy wouldn’t lie to me,” Roberto shook his head. “He just wanted you to talk, Charlie.”

“Me?” Charlie pointed to herself. “I did. I talked and did nothing but try to talk to him and it was hard because I’m so private with my grief but I knew for the sake of my marriage I needed to open up. He was the one who didn’t. He was the one who shut himself away and he was the one who ruined our marriage. So, if this is you trying to get back at me because your precious son’s marriage failed, well....stop. Because it was Angelo who ruined our marriage. Not me.” Charlie almost seethed as she spoke, feeling angry at not only Roberto, but at Angelo if he’d told his parents that it was her fault their marriage ended. She looked to Carla and could see from her eyes she knew Charlie was being truthful, but perhaps she was just too scared of her husband’s fiery temper to disagree with him.

“Okay okay,” Ian spoke up. “We are here to talk about my clients want for their grandson, not why the Rosetta-Buckton marriage broke up,” Ian exhaled. “Roberto, please share you concerns.”

“Well like I said,” Roberto started. “I don’t think it’s right for him to be around this river rat,” Roberto pointed to Brax. “They haven’t even been together a year and she’s pregnant and they’re living together, out of wedlock. What kind of example does that set for Connor? She is unstable after losing Lily. She didn’t want any more children and now she has to cope with mothering this child she doesn’t even want and I fear she’ll need to put so much time into caring for the baby she’ll ignore Connor and his needs. Not to mention she’s a murderer, so yes, sometimes I fear for his safety.” Roberto looked almost proud as he revealed that last one.

Everyone in the room raised their eyebrows at Roberto’s last revelation. “Miss Buckton,” The judge spoke. “Care to elaborate on the last one?”

“His name was Lee,” Charlie took a deep breath. She’d never spoken about this since it happened. She didn’t like that she needed to bring this up now. “He was my daughter’s boyfriend. He was abusive and she ran away from him and seeked solace at my home. Lee found her and...” Charlie took another deep breath before looking to her left to Morag.

“Charlie acted in the best interests of her children,” Morag answered. “He badly hurt her daughter to the point where she was unconscious on the floor; he’d even pushed young Connor down to the ground. Lee had a gun and was going to shoot. Charlie acted in self-defence and shot Lee before he would have shot her daughter, maybe even her.”

“Awfully brave, Miss Buckton.” The judge said.

“Never underestimate what a mother would do to protect her child.” Carla said. Charlie gave her a light smile.

“I’m also a police sergeant,” Charlie added. “It’s my duty to protect.”

“I see,” The judge nodded. “And Connor, where was he when the shooting took place?”

“I’d told him to go to his room but he’d run out from the house and he got help,” Charlie said. “From Darryl,” Charlie felt strange calling her boyfriend Darryl but felt in this situation, Darryl was more appropriate that Brax. “He eh, he didn’t see the shooting. He was with Darryl when it happened.”

“Okay,” The judge nodded as he wrote stuff down on the papers in front of him. “And you’re daughter, she is alright, yes? The judge questioned and Charlie nodded her head. “Very good. And, Connor, how does he feel about a new baby coming along?”

“He’s excited,” Charlie replied. “He helped Darryl with the nursery and he’s picked out lots of baby grows, blankets, teddies,” Charlie said. “He’s happy where he is,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “He’s my son, not theirs and he should be living with me,” Charlie took a deep breath to compose herself. Even the thought of losing Connor killed her. “He gets on great with Darryl. I said to Darryl before we even started dating if Connor had a problem with it then he’d come first. I’d put what Connor wanted before anything else.”

“She did,” Brax nodded his head. “And I’m okay with that. He’s her son and he’s the most important person in her life. His needs are always going to be put first. I know that and respect that.”

“I see,” The judge nodded his head. “And Mr Rosetta, why do you think Connor will be better off with you?”

“Me and my wife won’t have another child to bother over. The kid has just lost his father, he needs stability right now. Not a mother with a river rat who could leave at any time, a new baby to disrupt things. I believe it’s best for him to come and live in a stable home with love for just him.”

“So, you’d take his puppy too then?” Charlie questioned.

“Oh no,” Roberto screwed his face up. “Can’t stand them. You keep the puppy, I’ll take the boy. And also, it means you don’t get to make a mock of my son’s restaurant and spend all his money on your new man and baby.”

“I told you I wouldn’t,” Charlie shook her head. “That money is for Connor and Connor only. The restaurant too. When he’s 18 if he wants to go into the business then it’s for him.”

“Of course he will,” Roberto answered. “It’s his fathers. His dad’s. He’ll want it.”

“What if he doesn’t?” Morag questioned. “We don’t know what Connor will be doing when he is older. Right now he wants to be a professional soccer player.”

“Well if he’s with us, he’ll be guided in the right way,” Roberto said. “Your honour, I love my grandson more than anything. I would love to have him living with me full term. I believe I could teach him all he needs to know and that me and my wife could give him all the love he needs allowing Charlie to stay with her river rat and their baby and you know her knew family where I fear Connor will be side-lined.”

“Okay,” The judge gave a nod of his head. “I feel you’ve spoken enough. Carla, do you have anything to add?”

Carla exhaled as she looked to Charlie before looking to her husband before looking to the judge. “I just want what’s best for Connor,” Carla said. “I want to be in his life. I don’t want to miss out on him growing up.”

“I wouldn’t ever keep him from you, Carla,” Charlie said. “You’re welcome to come and see him any time you want.”

“See she just admitted she would keep him from me,” Roberto bellowed. “What kind of mother would keep her son from his grandfather? It’s especially important now considering he doesn’t have a father.”

“I agree, Mr Rosetta, you should get to see your grandson,” The judge nodded. “However, this is a decision I shall not be making lightly,” The judge exhaled. “Mr Shaw, Ms Bellingham, we’ll hear from you now. Mr Shaw if you’d like to go first.”

Ian nodded as he straightened up the notes in front of him. “I believe it is in the best interest of Connor if he is to stay with his grandparents. They have a lot of love to give him, and, as Roberto only now works part-time in his restaurant and Carla is a homemaker, they’ll be able to give Connor the love, care and attention that he needs in a stable loving home. It’s important for Connor to not forget his father, and Roberto and Carla, are the best people to keep his memory alive as his mother’s judgement may now be bitter as they ended rather badly. They are concerned that Mr Braxton is living in the family home and his background would be a bad route for Connor to take and be influenced into. Roberto and Carla understand that Connor needs his mother in his life and are willing to allow one weekend a month access, providing Mr Braxton is not around and this must be in the city of Melbourne,” Ian cleared his throat. “Roberto and Carla would like to add that they love Connor very much are believe they are only doing what is best for him.” Ian stopped talking as he looked to the judge.

“You’re done?” The judge questioned and Ian gave a nod. “Ms Bellingham.”

Morag exhaled as she shook her head. “Connor is a fine young boy who is thriving in the care of his mother. He needs stability in his life, I shall agree, Mr Shaw and what place could better provide this than at home with his mother. The love and bond they share is so strong and I believe Connor would be heartbroken if he were to be ripped from his mother’s life. Charlie doesn’t ever want Connor to forget his father. She had much love for Angelo and he will always hold a special place in her heart. I believe she will tell her son only the truth regarding his father and that is that he also loved him very much and was the best father possible. With Mr Braxton, I see no threat in him being in the family home. He and Connor have a unique relationship. Mr Braxton loves him like he is one of his own and Connor is most fond of Mr Braxton. Mr Braxton is a reformed man and a respect member of the community with a decent job in which he works very hard to help provide not only for him and Charlie, but also for Connor. He is excited about a new sibling and feels no threat what so ever when it comes to getting love and attention. I believe the best place for Connor is, and always will be, where he is now, and that is in his own home with his mother,” Morag exhaled as she looked to the judge. “That’s all I have to say.”

“Thank you Ms Bellingham,” The judge said. “So, I will review what we’ve talked over today and the report from Miss Rayson about her chat with Connor. We will meet tomorrow at noon to close this case.”

“Tomorrow?” Charlie questioned. “Well what happens with Connor tonight?” Charlie was surprised. She thought that this would be over in a day.

“Connor will stay in the care of DOCS for this evening.” The judge said before he stood up and left the room. Roberto smiled smugly at Charlie before standing up and walking out of the room, Carla and Ian walking out behind him.

“It’s okay, Charlie,” Brax rubbed her arm as they stood up. “It’s only one night. It’s only one night.” Brax pulled Charlie into a hug, hoping and praying that it would indeed only be one night where Charlie and Connor would be apart.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 136

Charlie was sitting on the couch, Zak sitting up there with her, his little head resting against her bump. She continuously rubbed his head as she stared out into the darkness of the night. All she could think about was Connor. She knew he’d be scared and feeling like he was alone. She didn’t even get to go explain to him, to see what he’d made with the lego. She knew he’d be upset about that. She’d made a promise to him and didn’t keep it but it wasn’t her fault. It was Roberto. All of this was Roberto’s fault. “Baby, what you doing down here?” Brax put the light on, causing Charlie to squint her eyes as the room became a lot brighter. Charlie remained silent as Brax walked over to the couch, taking a seat next to her. “It’s almost 4 am,” Brax said as he rubbed her arm. “You should be sleeping.”

“I can’t,” Charlie answered quietly as she remained looking out in front of her. “I close my eyes and I see him. He’s upset and no-one’s there for him. I try to reach out but I can’t,” Charlie shook her head. “I can’t get to him.” Charlie pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Hey, it’s just a dream.” Brax pulled Charlie closer to him.

“But what if it’s not?” Charlie questioned. “What if I lose him for good? What if they tell me tomorrow that he is going to live with Roberto?”

“Never,” Brax shook his head. “He’s not got a chance. Any sane judge will see that he’s just using Connor to get the restaurant and the money. It’s not about Connor. He’s just a pawn in his stupid game.”

“But what if, what if the stuff he said....the stuff about Lee and us being together in this house and having the new baby all out of wedlock,” Charlie took a deep breath. “Some judges don’t like that and what if they think for his own safety or so he’s not ignored, we’ll send him to Melbourne.”

“Look,” Brax exhaled. “If it comes to that being the reason then there is a very easy solution to fix that.” Brax spoke sadly, of course he didn’t want it to come to that but if it was the only way for Charlie to keep Connor, he’d do it in a heartbeat.

“What is it because I don’t see one?” Charlie cried.

“I leave the house,” Brax spoke quietly. “I obviously wouldn’t want that and I know it’s not fair on us or the baby but if us being together is the only thing that would be stopping you getting to keep Connor then....” Brax trailed off, not actually saying it. “I’d do anything to keep Connor with you.”

Charlie wiped a tear from her eye. “I’d hate it to come to that,” Charlie answered. “Obviously Connor is the most important thing in my life right now, but, you and this baby are right up there to, but Connor, he....he just can’t be taken from me.”

“Well like I say,” Brax held Charlie as she cried. “I’m going to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

“I just want it to stop,” Charlie sniffed back. “What have I done that’s so bad that I can’t be happy?” Charlie questioned. “It’s been since I was 13,” Charlie cried. “I was raped, I’d lost both my parents by the time I was 30, Ruby left my life, I lost my beautiful baby girl, my beautiful little Lily. I lost Angelo....Angelo; he helped me so much to become who I am today and he gets taken too, and now, Connor. They’re going to take Connor.”

“You’ve had a tough draw,” Brax lightly ran his hand over her head. “But Ruby came home and you guys are getting on so well again. And I’d like to think me and the baby aren’t all that bad?”

“Well no,” Charlie wiped her hand over her tears. “But, it’s been hard, this pregnancy. You know it has and....” Charlie trailed off. “Maybe it’s just a matter of time before I lose you and the baby too. Maybe I’m cursed.”

“You’re not cursed,” Brax shook his head. “As I said you’ve just had a tough draw. But you will get to keep your son. And the 5 of us, and little Zakky here, we’ll be a family and nothing will ever tear us apart. We’ll grow old together and we’ll be sitting on our porch and Rubes, Connor and this little one,” Brax put his hand onto Charlie’s stomach as he spoke. “They’ll give us lots of grandchildren and we’ll have a happy, good, life with them.”

“Grandchildren,” Charlie sniffed back once again. “I already have one of them I can’t see.”

“No,” Brax sighed. “But Rubes gave her a great life and one day you will have grandchildren you can see and they’ll love you just like you’ll love them.”

Charlie took a deep breath as she rubbed her stomach, over where Brax’s hand was, Brax, her and Zak all feeling the baby moving around. “I just want my boy, Brax. I just want him home.”

“I know,” Brax exhaled. “And like I said, even if we have to do something we don’t like, if it means Connor gets to stay, I’ll do it.” Charlie gave him an appreciative smile. Of course she didn’t want Brax to leave but if that was one of the conditions brought forth by the judge then they’d have to do it. Charlie once again gave him an appreciative smile before snuggling herself into him. Brax looked to Zak and wondered why he was all of a sudden allowed on the couch, but then figured Charlie just needed the comfort from him. He was Connor’s pet, Connor’s little friend. Maybe it made her feel closer to Connor. He placed a soft kiss on her temple, before staying there in silence with her, just holding her until she fell asleep.

Charlie, Brax, Morag, Roberto, Carla and Ian were sitting in the room, waiting on the judge to come through to read out his plan for what was best for Connor. Charlie was shaking her legs, she knew her son was in the next room, but right now, she wasn’t able to see him and it killed her. The judge walked into the room and stood at the head of the table. “I won’t keep you long. I’m sure you’re eager to know.”

“Of course.” Roberto answered while Charlie just pursed her lips together, looking down as Brax rubbed her back in support.

The judge looked to Roberto before looking to Charlie, before looking down to his notes. “We feel that Miss Buckton is more than capable of caring for Connor and giving him everything he would need and more,” The judge began. “While we see the Rosetta’s are loving grandparents and I see they only want what’s best for their grandson, I find myself wondering if two people, one being late 50’s and one early 60’s are capable of caring for a young energetic 5 year old.”

“Of course,” Roberto nodded. “And I also have a son and daughter-in-law who could help out if he gets too much for us,” Roberto said. “Not that he would, mind you; I’m just saying they are there if we need them.”

“As I was saying,” the judge said. “My only concern is that Miss Buckton is living with her boyfriend of less than a year and is with child to him,” The judge paused as he looked to Charlie, who was still sitting looking down, taking deeps breaths. “Are you alright, Miss Buckton?”

Charlie looked up as she nodded her head. “Fine,” Charlie nodded. “I just need you to tell me where you’ve decided would be the best place for my son to live.”

The judge gave her a smile. “Well as I was saying, my only concern is your living arrangements.”

“Can I say something,” Brax ran his hand over the table. “If this is the only thing that’s going to stop Charlie from -”

“Mr Braxton,” The judge interrupted. “I have made my decision. Now, while it does raise concerns for me, I see you two seem very committed to each other and I believe it’s in the best interest of your unborn child to allow you to continue with your current living arrangements. After reading the report from Miss Rayson, Connor has showed nothing but love and admiration for Mr Braxton and I see he is in no way a bad influence on the child and only has his best interests at heart. My decision is that Connor shall remain in the custody of his mother.”

Charlie breathed a sigh of relief as she leant into Brax. He rubbed her arm as he placed a kiss on her head. “This is ridiculous.” Roberto huffed.

“Oh Roberto you are ridiculous,” Carla spat as she stood up from the table. “Charlie, I am sorry for putting you though this,” Carla said. “Needless to say I don’t think we’ll be getting to see much of Connor now because she’ll probably think we’ll kidnap him so thank you so much, Roberto,” Carla shook her head as Roberto stood up from the table. “È stupido. Andiamo prima di peggiorare le cose. Se questo è possibile.” Carla threw her hands out to the side beofre she left the room. Ian and Robeto followed out behind her.

“Can I see him now?” Charlie asked.

“Of course.” The judge hit a button on the edge of the table and a few moments later the door opened and Miss Rayson led Connor into the room.

“Mummy.” Connor gasped as he ran over to her. Charlie stood up from the chair, just in time as Connor crashed into her, wrapping his arms tightly around her. Charlie held onto her son tightly as a tear rolled down her cheek, overjoyed that he wasn’t going to be ripped away from her.

Thanks for the comments. Sarah, Carla said ‘It’s stupid. Let’s go before things get worse, if that’s possible. (Or along those lines, think I missed a word out haha...)

Chapter 137

Charlie ran her hand over her stomach as she watched Connor and Brax playing in the sea. She smiled as Brax lifted Connor up, before throwing him down, Connor giggling as he surfaced. It had been almost month since Angelo’s death, since all the court drama over Connor and now, finally, Charlie and Brax were able to take time away from work and have the break away that they talked about having. They were at a gorgeous little beach house, almost 5 hours drive away from the bay, but it was worth it, the beaches were gorgeous with there white sand and there crystal blue waters. “You waking up Pip,” Charlie continued to rub her stomach. “You going to kick mummy like crazy for the next few hours now aren’t you?” Charlie exhaled as she reached for her water and took a drink. She looked down to Zak who was playing with his rope toy. “You want me to play?” Charlie questioned as she sat herself up from the sunbed, fighting Zak for a moment for the toy before she flung it across the beach and watched as Zak ran after it.

“Mummy, you should come in,” Connor ran up the beach and stood close to Charlie as she wrapped her arms around him, pulling him close to her, so her stomach was touching his side. “It’s fun.”

“Mummy is looking after Zak.” Charlie answered as Brax sat down next to her on the sunbed, his hand immediately going to the small of her back and rubbing it.

“He could come in too,” Connor answered. “He likes the water.”

“Well maybe later,” Charlie smiled as Connor sat down on her knee. “We need to talk about what we can do for your birthday bud,” Charlie tickled her son’s sides. “Someone is 6 tomorrow.”

“6,” Brax gasped. “You’re getting old buddy.”

“I thought you told mummy you weren’t going to get any older?” Charlie questioned.

“Well I am trying not to mummy,” Connor answered. “I can’t help it. I don’t know how to stop.” Connor held his hands out to the side.

Charlie laughed lightly at her son. “I’m afraid you’re just going to get older. That’s what happens.”

“Oh,” Connor pulled a face. “You mean one day I’ll be old like Darryl?”

“Oh you cheeky little monkey,” Darryl mocked offence as he tickled Connor. Connor giggled as he tried to pull his body closer to Charlie to get away from Brax’s tickling. “And anyways, mummy is 3 years older than me, so she’s the oldie.”

“Yeah she is really old,” Connor agreed and this time it was Charlie who mocked offence. “But you got me this holiday for my birthday. I don’t need to do anything else,” Connor shook his head. “Me, you, Darryl and Zak will have fun here,” Connor exhaled. “I don’t want to do anything.”

“Well we are taking you to the zoo,” Charlie told him. “How does that sound?”

“The zoo,” Connor widened his eyes. “Yeah, that’s cool. The Sydney zoo?”

“Nah mate the zoo that’s near here. About 30 minute drive away.” Brax said.

“That’s cool,” Connor nodded. “I like the zoo. Can I get a present at the gift shop?”

“What makes you think there will be a gift shop?” Charlie questioned.

“Mum there is always a gift shop at places like that,” Connor exhaled. “Silly.” Connor couldn’t believe his mother didn’t seem to know this. She smiled down at her son as her phone beeped. She looked down to it on the table and sighed lightly.

“Everything alright?” Brax questioned, still rubbing at her back.

“Carla,” Charlie said as she looked around to Brax. “Again,” Charlie rolled her eyes. Carla had been trying to make contact ever since the court case, despite Charlie telling her she should leave it for a while. “She wants to talk to him tomorrow. She said she sent a present to the house as well. Guess we’ll get it when we get back.” Charlie exhaled, letting go of Connor as he ran off to play with Zak and his rope toy.

“Maybe a little 5 minute phone call won’t hurt,” Brax spoke tentatively. “Carla wasn’t the one trying anything you know it was all Roberto. Just give her 5 minutes on the phone with him on his birthday.”

“But if I let her have this 5 minutes, there will be another 5 minutes another day, then it’ll creep up to 10, then 15, then she’ll want to skype again, then there will be visits,” Charlie exhaled. “I can’t trust them anymore, Brax. I can’t trust to leave my boy in their care.”

“I understand,” Brax said. “I really do, but it’s Roberto you can’t trust. And he doesn’t have to be around, he doesn’t have to talk to Roberto, Roberto can’t visit or can’t be alone with him if they did visit. You have the power to make the rules and yeah okay, I couldn’t care less if Roberto never saw Connor again and I don’t think he should after all he did and tried but Carla....” Brax paused for a moment. “She was always supportive of us and she made it clear that the custody thing was all Roberto. Don’t punish her too much for this; I don’t really think she wanted to go ahead with it. Roberto’s pretty intimidating. What he said would probably have to go.” Brax still rubbed her back as he spoke.

“Mmm, I’ll think about it,” Charlie exhaled. “But eh, I think you’re right.”

“What?” Brax gasped. “I get to be right? You said I was right?”

“Shut up,” Charlie hit his chest. “But yeah, it’s not often your right so I’ll let you have this one.” Charlie said and Brax smiled lightly before leaning in and placing a soft kiss onto Charlie’s lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little.

“Yuck.” Connor made a sound like he was throwing up. Charlie and Brax pulled apart as they laughed and looked up at Connor.

“Yuck?” Brax questioned. “There’s nothing yuck about kissing girls mate, and one day I’m sure you’ll agree with me.”

Connor screwed his face up as he shook his head. “Can we play soccer?”

“Soccer, hmmm,” Brax shook his head. “I’ll tell you what we are going to play.” Brax said as he stood up.

“What?” Connor questioned.

“Tickle Connor,” Brax said and Connor let out a squeal before he ran down the beach. Brax chased after him and soon caught up and grabbed him in his arms. “Got you.” Brax laughed as Connor giggled hysterically.

“Mummy,” Connor giggled. “Please...come....” Connor could hardly talk for laughing. “Help me,” Connor screeched. Charlie laughed as she stood up and ran as best as her 6 month pregnant stomach could let her until she was where Brax and Connor were. “Mummy.” Connor giggled.

“Hmm you know what bud; I think I’ll help Brax.” Charlie said as she too started tickling her son, the 3 of them erupting in laughter as they had fun at the beach as Zak jumped around at their feet, wanting to be a part of the fun.

Ruby stood on the balcony of the hotel, looking out into the darkness of the very early morning. She ran her hand over her engagement ring and thought about how much her life had changed in the last year. She was slightly startled as she heard the balcony door push open. “What you doing up?” Romeo questioned. “It’s like 5am.”

“I woke up then couldn’t get back to sleep,” Ruby answered. “Then I started thinking about things and well...kinda made it even harder to get back to sleep.”

“Well if you don’t want to sleep I can think of something else we can do,” Romeo smiled as he wrapped his arms around Ruby from behind and placed a soft kiss onto her neck. “Mmm,” Romeo placed lots of little soft kisses on her neck. “What do you say? You coming back inside?”

Ruby turned to face him, before wrapping her arms around him. She shook her head lightly. “This time last year I was still stuck with Lee,” Ruby answered. “Suspecting I was pregnant, but too scared to do anything about it.”

“Yeah?” Romeo moved the hair from in front of Ruby’s face. “Well you got away eventually.”

“Yeah, but brought a lot of trouble home, didn’t I?” Ruby questioned. “You got beat up, I got hurt, Charlie did too and she almost lost her career protecting me from him.” Ruby exhaled.

“But she didn’t,” Romeo rubbed Ruby’s back. “Any mother would do anything to protect their child and that’s what Charlie was doing.”

“What if it did go wrong though?” Ruby questioned. “What if I wrecked her career? What she worked so hard for her whole life?”

“But you didn’t,” Romeo shook his head. “So we don’t need to wonder what if. And if you didn’t come home then you and your mum would never have been able to fix your relationship. You wouldn’t have got to know Connor, you wouldn’t have met me...”

“Mmm I love that I’ve met you,” Ruby smiled. “Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve someone like you, Romeo. You’re too good for me.”

“Never,” Romeo gave a little laugh. “If anything you are too good for me. You’re gorgeous, smart, funny.....I don’t know what you see in a guy like me.”

“You’re totally hot,” Ruby smiled. “I love you so much Romeo and I always will.”

“Good,” Romeo smiled. “I love you too,” Romeo said as he placed a soft kiss on her lips. “And I’ll show you just how much when I make you Mrs Smith.” Ruby smiled as she looked down to her engagement ring.

“I can’t believe it’s almost 7 months since we got engaged,” Ruby said. “It was quick, right?”

“Yeah,” Romeo nodded. “But doesn’t it feel so right?”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “I actually can’t believe it’ll be a year since we’ve been together next week either.”

“I know,” Romeo raised his eyebrows. “Doesn’t time fly when you are having fun?”

“Indeed,” Ruby smiled before letting the smile fall from her face. “Also can’t believe Aimee is 4 and a half months already. Seems like yesterday I handed her over.” Ruby bowed her head down.

“It’s gone quick,” Romeo rubbed her back in comfort. “But you know she’ll be doing good with Tony and Rachel and she’ll get to grow up with Jack and Martha’s kid so she’ll have a buddy close.”

“Yeah she will,” Ruby smiled before changing the subject. “Can’t believe mum is 6 months already either,” Ruby exhaled. “I can’t wait to get home and see how big Pip is.”

Romeo looked offended. “Babe, we still have 8 weeks left.”

“I know, I just meant.....I want to see the bump,” Ruby answered. “It’s my little brother or sister in there.”

“Yeah,” Romeo smiled. “We’ll need to get him/her some cool presents from Cambodia eh?”

“Yeah we can,” Ruby smiled. “And Connor,” Ruby replied.

“What because we haven’t gotten him enough from Laos, Thailand and Vietnam?” Romeo questioned.

Ruby laughed. “Well when you put it like that,” Ruby said. “But you know a little thing from each place is fine. And it’s his birthday tomorrow so remember me to call him.”

“Yeah I will,” Romeo smiled. “Now,” Romeo gave a yawn. “Are you coming back to bed?” Ruby nodded lightly as she stood on her tip toes and placed a soft kiss on Romeo’s lips. Romeo tightened his grip on Ruby as he lifted her up, Ruby wrapping her arms around his waist as he walked backwards, back into the room as the kiss grew more passionate.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 138

“Okay, bye bye Ruby,” Connor hung up the phone before passing it back to Charlie. “She remembered it my birthday mummy.”

“Of course she would have,” Charlie smiled. “She’s your big sister.” Charlie put her phone back into her pocket before slipping her hand back into Brax’s as the three of them continued their walk around the zoo.

“So what’s she saying?” Brax questioned. “She still having a good time?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “They’re in Cambodia now,” Charlie said. “Getting around, aren’t they?”

“Well that’s generally what people do when they travel Asia eh.” Brax answered.

“I suppose,” Charlie replied. “She said she can’t believe I’m 6 months already but I can’t believe I’m only 6 months,” Charlie sighed. “Feels like I’ve been pregnant for years.”

“Well just be glad you’re not an elephant.” Brax exhaled.

“What?” Charlie screwed her face up, wondering what the hell he was on about.

“Elephants,” Brax said as he gently swung his and Charlie’s hands as Connor was walking in front of them, making their way down to the lions. “They’re pregnant for 22 months.”

“Oh,” Charlie widened her eyes. “Well I am glad I’m not an elephant then,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “You know such random stuff.”

“I know,” Brax gave a little laugh. “I also know you are gorgeous and are about to get a kiss from a strange looking guy.” Brax said as he stopped walking, causing Charlie to stop and turn to face him.

“Huh?” Charlie once again screwed her face up as she felt Brax’s lips against hers. She softened into the kiss, letting it become a little more passionate. “Well you were right about me getting a kiss but it wasn’t from a strange looking guy,” Charlie said. “It was from the hottest guy in the zoo right now.” Charlie smiled as she kissed Brax’s again.

“Wow, the hottest guy in the zoo?” Brax raised his eyebrows. “That is a complement.” Brax said before kissing Charlie again.

“Yuck, stop kissing,” Connor moaned as he shouted at his mother. “Come and see the lions, there’s Alex from Madagascar, look, I really think it’s him. He looks just like him, mum, Darryl come see.” Charlie and Brax smiled at each other as they started walking again over to where Connor was standing, looking down at the lions.

“Aww wow you know what bud, I think you’re right,” Brax said as he put his hands on his shoulders. “It looks just like Alex.”

“You think he’ll dance?” Connor questioned.

“Why don’t you jump down and see if he’ll dance with you?” Brax teased.

“Darryl,” Connor sounded gobsmacked. “Don’t be so silly. I can’t jump in there.” Connor gasped. “They’ll eat me.”

“Nah, Alex is friendly,” Brax said. “You’ve seen Madagascar enough to know that.”

Connor looked to Brax before looking to his mother unsure. “He’s just messing with you bud, don’t jump down there.”

“No,” Connor rested himself against Charlie as she ran her hand over his head. “Would be silly jumping in the lions.”

“Yeah it would, silly Darryl.” Charlie teased as she looked up at Brax. Brax raised his eyebrows at Charlie.

“Aww look there is the baby one,” Connor pointed out as a little cub ran over to the older lions. “It’s like our family, see,” Connor sounded more excited. “That’s mummy,” Connor pointed to the lioness as she lay back, relaxing in the hot summer sun. “And there’s me,” Connor pointed to a young looking lion that was resting his head against a large stump of wood. “And the cub is Pip.” Connor grinned.

“What one am I then?” Brax questioned.

“You is the grumpy looking old one.” Connor said as he pointed to the old looking lion, his main dark and showing signs of aging.

“Ahh mate,” Brax mocked offence. “You don’t see me as old and grumpy, do you?”

“Sometimes you is Darryl.” Connor answered shyly as he hid against his mother.

“Right you,” Brax grabbed Connor and tickled his sides. Connor burst into a fit of giggles as Brax lifted Connor up and over his shoulder. “Someone is going into the lion pen for sure now.” Brax walked forward a little, pretending he was about to throw Connor over the wall.

“No. Don’t,” Connor yelled. Charlie and Brax laughed before Brax lifted Connor up onto his shoulders, so Connor was sitting really high. “Wow, I can see the whole world from up here,” Connor grinned. “You’ll be my horsey now,” Connor smiled as he lightly kicked his legs against Brax’s chest. “Chop chop horsey.”

“Where to next?” Charlie questioned as she looked up to her son.

“Uhm,” Connor scratched the side of his head. “The giraffes,” Connor answered. “Let’s go.” Connor once again hit his leg against Brax’s chest. He and Charlie glanced at each other and shared a smile before they walked off to take Connor to see the giraffes.

Brax exhaled as he collapsed down onto the bed, lying close to Charlie as he put his hand onto her stomach. “Whoa why is it so hard?” Brax questioned, trying to catch his breath again.

“That’s happened for a while after sex.” Charlie answered as she put her hand on top of Brax’s.

“Why?” Brax questioned. “Is that normal?”

“Yeah I think so,” Charlie answered. “After I have an org....” Charlie trailed off, all of a sudden feeling embarrassed for some reason. “The uterus contacts so....it’s normal.”

“Ahh,” Brax gave Charlie a cheeky grin. “Pip seems awfully quiet tonight.”

“The rocking motion sends him to sleep,” Charlie answered as she turned on her side, Brax moving his hand so it was still on her stomach. “I like that he’s sleeping,” Charlie said. “It means I might get a good sleep before he wakes up and starts kicking like crazy.”

“Aww,” Brax laughed a little as he rubbed her stomach. “Pip kicking is a good thing though,” Brax said. “She’s letting us know she’s alright.”

“Well mummy likes it when he sleeps,” Charlie answered. “Obviously I like kicking moment’s so I know he’s fine, but I bet you wouldn’t like it if something was in your stomach battering you all day.”

“I guess a little break is alright,” Brax continued to rub her stomach. “But, I also love feeling her. Wake up baby,” Brax lightly poked Charlie’s side. “Pip.....Pippy......Pip,” Brax moved his head closer to Charlie’s stomach. “Earth to baby.” Brax hit Charlie’s stomach a little harder.

“Brax, don’t wake him up,” Charlie batted his hand away. “He’s sleeping, leave him be.”

“C’mon, you get to feel her all the time,” Brax sighed. “I don’t. Let me have a little feel.”

“Why right now?” Charlie questioned. “If you wake him he’ll kick all night and I won’t get any sleep. He’s active after breakfast time too so you can feel then.” Charlie once again batted his hand away as he was continuing to poke at her stomach.

“Ahaha,” Brax grinned as he felt a kick from the baby. “Someone woke up for daddy,” Charlie looked cross as she sat up in the bed, lifting up Brax’s hand from her stomach as she got out of the bed and reached for her light dressing gown. She wrapped it around her body and tied the tie into a knot. “Babe,” Brax sat up in the bed. “Where are you going?”

“I asked you not to do that,” Charlie sighed. “He’s going to be kicking like crazy for hours now, and I’m not going to get a wink of sleep so thank you so much.” Charlie walked out of the room and slammed the door shut, angry that Brax had woken the baby and sort of spoiled the nice moment they’d just had.

“Charlie.” Brax sighed as he rubbed his forehead, deciding to let her calm down a little. Annoying Charlie was bad enough, but a pregnant, hormonal Charlie? Brax shook his head at himself thinking he should have known better and probably should have done as she’d asked and not woken the baby. He lay back down in the bed, deciding to let her cool off for a while.

Thank you for the comments.

Chapter 139

Brax walked into the kitchen to see Charlie sitting at the breakfast bar, rubbing her stomach as she drank a glass of milk. “Still kicking?” Brax questioned. Brax had left Charlie for almost an hour before walking through to talk to her.

Charlie nodded her head. “Like I said, he’ll be kicking all night now.” Charlie answered.

“I’m sorry.” Brax walked closer to Charlie.

“Don’t you think you should have put your boxers on or something?” Charlie questioned as she looked to his naked body. “What if Connor wakes up and comes through looking for us?”

“When does Connor ever wake up?” Brax screwed his face up.

Charlie gave a little shrug before taking another drink. “You don’t have to stay up with me. Go back to bed.” Charlie exhaled.

“Are you going to come back with me?” Brax questioned.

“No point.” Charlie answered bluntly.

“Babe,” Brax sighed. “Please don’t be like that. I said I am sorry. Just enjoy feeling the baby, I’d give anything to feel her all the time.”

“So I’m lucky that I constantly get kicked in the stomach then?” Charlie questioned. “Yeah it’s good to know the baby is well and it’s nice to feel him sometimes but for 4 hours straight?” Charlie questioned.

“Well like I say, I’m sorry,” Brax sighed. “Maybe I could give you a foot massage?” Brax suggested. “That relaxes you and it might put the baby to sleep.”

“Doubtful,” Charlie sighed. “The more relaxed I get, the more he tends to want to make me very aware of his presence.” Charlie exhaled before finishing her glass of milk.

“Well all I can say is sorry,” Brax sighed. “But you know, I....this is the only time I am going to get to experience a pregnancy so I just want to make sure I can enjoy every minute of it.”

“So for your enjoyment I have to suffer?” Charlie questioned. “It doesn’t matter what I need to go through, just as long as you are enjoying this?”

“No Charlie, that’s not what I meant,” Brax walked forward and put his hand onto her shoulder. “I’m sorry for waking the baby up and believe me, it’s a mistake I won’t make again. I promise. You should be able to sleep. You should and I am sorry.”

Charlie exhaled as she rubbed her forehead. She took Brax’s hand into hers and placed in on her stomach, over her light dressing gown, where he felt his baby kicking. “Sorry,” Charlie spoke softly. “I know how much you want to be involved. Especially given this is our only baby. I eh....you are okay with that, right?”

“Mmm hmm,” Brax nodded. “You, Connor and Pip are all I need,” Brax smiled lightly. Charlie and Brax heard a faint yelping sound and they turned their heads to see Zak lying on the floor, dreaming. “And Zak.” Brax added.

Charlie smiled lightly as she looked back to Brax. “Good because I really want us to be happy together you know, I know I can be a moany bitch sometimes but I really do love you.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “I know you do,” Brax rubbed her stomach. “And you can get away with moaning right now, because you’re going through lot,” Brax once again rubbed her stomach. “Really is showing no signs of stopping for a while huh?”

“Nope.” Charlie shook her head.

“Well it’s a good job I know a way to get this little one to get to sleep eh?” Brax raised his eyebrows before placing a soft kiss onto Charlie’s lips.

“Oh really?” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she put her hands onto Brax’s shoulders. “And what would that be?”

“Well why do you come back to bed and I’ll show you?” Brax smiled seductively as he helped Charlie down from the stool. He placed a soft kiss on her lips as Charlie rubbed the back of his head, resting her stomach against his. Brax ran his hands down her back and lightly squeezed her bottom as the kiss intensified. “What do you say?” Brax whispered as he pulled back and looked into her gorgeous blue eyes.

“Shhh.” Charlie mumbled before placing another kiss on his lips as they made their way back to the bedroom.

Romeo buttoned up his shirt before turning to face Ruby. “Wow, you look absolutely gorgeous,” Romeo smiled as he looked his girlfriend up and down. “Like, wowza hot.”

“Don’t look so bad yourself,” Ruby smiled as she walked over to him and ran her hands over his purple shirt and squeezed his shoulders, before standing on her tip toes and placing a kiss on his lips.

“Mmm,” Romeo smiled into the kiss as he rested his hands against her bottom, giving it a squeeze. “We eh.....we have dinner reservations, you know.” Romeo said as he pulled back.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered quietly. “Let’s go then.” Ruby pulled back and picked up her bag from the dresser, linking one hand with Romeo’s as they walked out of the room and made their way out of the hotel and along the beach to get to the group of restaurants. It was their one year anniversary so tonight they were going all out and dressing up and having a meal in a more expensive restaurant.

“You know, I can’t believe it’s been a whole year already.” Romeo smiled down at Ruby as they made their way along the beach.

“Me either,” Ruby replied. “I can’t believe I’ve put up with you for that long.” Ruby grinned cheekily.

“Oh, I am most offended.” Romeo gasped.

“Nah, it’s been great,” Ruby replied. “Really really great in fact. I’m lucky to have you.”

“I think I’m the lucky one,” Romeo let go of Ruby’s hand wrapped his arm around her, pulling her closer to him. “You’re smart, funny, gorgeous....” Romeo exhaled.

“Did you think you’d ever end up with a life like this?” Ruby questioned. “You know, engaged at 21?”

“Eh,” Romeo exhaled. “Honestly, I thought I was going to be with Indi for the rest of my life,” Romeo answered. “Obviously I am so glad she cheated on me and everything but.....you know, I....”

“I know what you are saying,” Ruby smiled. “I used to think about me and Lee in that way,” Ruby spoke quietly. “I guess when you are with a person you start dreaming about the future and things, you know.”

“Yeah,” Romeo nodded. “I’ve thought about our future a lot lately to be honest.”

“Oh yeah?” Ruby questioned. “And what about it?”

“Well you know, about the wedding we’ll be having soon.....children.” Romeo spoke quietly.

“Not for a while,” Ruby shook her head. “I couldn’t....you know, after Aimee.”

“I understand,” Romeo smiled weakly. “And you know, we’re young. I’m only just 21 and you’re only 19. We can wait ten years if you want,” Romeo gave a little laugh. “That’ll give us plently of time to hit every country in this world.”

“Every country?” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Little bit optimistic, no?”

“Maybe,” Romeo gave a laugh. “But I reckon we could hit a fair few.”

“Yeah me too,” Ruby smiled. “So you saying you want to just have one massive honeymoon then?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah why not?” Romeo questioned. “Wouldn’t be too bad, would it?”

“Nah doesn’t sound bad at all.” Ruby Said. Romeo smiled as he stopped walking and Ruby turned to face him. He tucked her hair behind her ear before bending down and placing a soft kiss on her lips. Ruby smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as she wrapped her arms around him.

“Mmm, we’ll miss our dinner reservations.” Ruby whispered as she pulled back.

“So we’ll be a little late,” Romeo shrugged. “Blame it on the language barrier.” Romeo said before they once again met in a passionate embrace.

Thank you for the comments. Wondering if you want me to wrap this up soon? Not getting as much comments as I used to so maybe people are getting sick of it? :unsure:

This chapter is set one month later.

Chapter 140

Brax walked down the stairs and joined Charlie on the couch. Charlie shuffled herself along as snuggled into Brax as he wrapped his arm around her. “Go down alright?”

“Yeah,” Brax nodded. “Didn’t read much of the story, really, he was telling me more baby names for Pip.” Brax said as he put his other hand onto her stomach.

“Ahh what’s he come up with this time?” Charlie questioned.

“Maisie is still his only choice for a girl,” Brax gave a little laugh. “Tucker or Aiden for a boy.”

“Aww I like Aiden,” Charlie smiled. “But that just brings another one into the mix. We have so many for a boy.” Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Yeah,” Brax laughed. “This naming game isn’t easy eh.”

“No it’s not,” Charlie shook her head. “I remember it took me and Angelo almost a week to get a name for Connor.”

“A week?” Brax gasped. “Charlie, you didn’t name your son for a week?”

“Well we...” Charlie exhaled. “We were so sure he was going to be Matthew but when I was in the hospital another lady had just had a son and she said his name was Matthew so I didn’t want to say he was Matthew too, so we decide to change it but then couldn’t find one we both really liked or one that suited him for a while.”

“Right,” Brax screwed his faced up. “Well we are not taking a week to name Pip, alright?”

“Let’s hope not,” Charlie shook her head. “But we have a ton of boys’ names to clear out.”

“Well we’ve only got 2 girls’ names so it’ll be easier to name a little princess,” Brax grinned. “And well I guess for the benefit of Connor we’ll say Maisie is included in our choices so we have 3 names.”

“Mmm.” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she lightly ran her hand over her stomach. She pursed her lips together as she buried her head further into Brax’s chest. After a while of getting no reply, Brax spoke again.

“You alright?” Brax questioned. “You’ve gone quiet.”

“Yeah just.....tomorrow.” Charlie mumbled.

“Oh, yeah,” Brax lightly rubbed her arm. Tomorrow was Lily’s 2nd birthday. “You’ll get through it. You’ve done the first year and that’s always going to be the hardest, right?”

“Mmm,” Charlie gave a little nod. “I eh....it’s just....it’s the first one since Angelo died and I know that I....” Charlie took a deep breath. “I know I said at Christmas that I didn’t want you to be involved in Lily stuff....but I.....and please don’t think it’s because Angelo -”

“Charlie I’ll be there with you if you want me there,” Brax said as he continued to rub her arm in comfort. “Whatever makes the day easier for you.”

Charlie looked up to him and gave him a thankful smile. “And you know it’s not because Angelo can’t be there for me anymore, it’s....I would have had you around eventually with Lily stuff, but I -”

“It’s okay,” Brax placed a soft kiss on her forehead. “You don’t need to explain yourself. It’s alright.”

“Thank you,” Charlie exhaled. “It’s just going to be me, you and Connor this time. You know Rubes is still travelling and Morag is busy in the city,” Charlie explained before taking a deep breath. “I’ve got her another little teddy. A little yellow one this time and eh, I have flowers to pick up for her in the morning, but I was thinking we could go up for 11?” Charlie questioned. “She was born at 11.14 so it would be nice to be there, right at her birth time.”

“Sure, whatever you want.” Brax answered as he continued to rub Charlie’s arm in comfort. She put her hand up onto his chest and buried her head into him, glad of the support and glad that he’d agreed to go to the grave with her as it would make the day that little more bearable for her.

“Thanks.” Ruby smiled as she took the drink from Romeo as he sat down at the edge of the pool with her, letting his legs dangle in the water.

“You’re very welcome my dear,” Romeo answered before taking a drink of his. “So, what do you want to do for the rest of our last day in Goa?”

“We need to send out another postcard to Charlie and Connor,” Ruby answered. “So I guess go shopping for those.”

“Yeah we can do that,” Romeo answered. “Maybe we could go to that little jewellery store on the corner, you know the one I mean yeah?”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “It looks like everything in there would cost a million dollars.”

“Well hardly,” Romeo gave a little laugh. “I just thought it would be nice for me to buy you a little present.”

“Aww babe you don’t need too.” Ruby said.

“Maybe I want too,” Romeo lightly rubbed her back. “You know besides for a few little luxuries we’ve been really careful with our money up till now, so why not for the last 4 weeks, just splash out?”

“Because you don’t need to buy me anything.” Ruby answered.

“Well we have that emergency credit card from Charlie....” Romeo trailed off. “Haven’t used that much, have we?” Romeo gave a cheeky grin.

“Because it’s not for jewellery,” Ruby laughed. “That’s for if we got stuck and needed it for hotels or food or whatever.”

“I know and of course I wouldn’t use it on you,” Romeo answered. “I have money and I am going to treat you,” Romeo said. “I am your fiancé and I am the guy so you’ll do as I say.” Romeo raised his voice jokingly.

“I know you are just joking but that makes me feel really uncomfortable.” Ruby spoke quietly as she bowed her head down.

“Ah man I’m such an idiot, sorry.” Romeo lightly rubbed her back. A small smile formed on Ruby’s face before she laughed. Romeo gasped as he took Ruby’s drink from her hand and lay both his and hers down on the poolside. “You are so getting ducked.” Romeo said as he pushed her into the water, Ruby falling under as he slipped in with her.

“Mean,” Ruby said as she appeared on the surface and wrapped her arms around his neck as she straddled her legs around his waist. “I was enjoying sitting in the sun with my drink.”

“But this is enjoyable too, no?” Romeo questioned as he placed a soft kiss on her lips. “Us, in the water, together?”

“Mmm,” Ruby nodded. “I like this also.”

“Well don’t go complaining then.” Romeo smiled before placing a more passionate kiss on her lips. The kiss quickly growing more intense as they slipped their tongues into each other’s mouths. He took a few steps back so he was leaning against the edge of the pool, continuing to hold his fiancée in his arms, as the kiss never broke, only became even more passionate. After a while, Ruby pulled back and moved one of her hands up to his face and gently ran her index finger around his cheek.

“I love you so much,” Ruby said. “Promise me you’re never going to leave me?”

“I’d be a fool too,” Romeo whispered. “I love you more than anything in this world.” Romeo said and Ruby smiled before leaning her head in and once again the young couple met in a passionate embrace.

Archived