Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 151

Brax stretched in the bed before turning around as his eyes squinted at the light that was coming from the end of the room. He sat up in the bed to see Charlie sitting on the chair, looking down into the moses basket. “He needing a feed?” Brax yawned.

“No,” Charlie shook her head, keeping her gaze on her son. “I fed him about half an hour ago.” Charlie continued to look down as she spoke to Brax.

“So then you should come back to bed,” Brax said as he moved over the bed, and sat down with his legs over the edge of the side that Charlie slept at. “Aren’t you tired?” Brax questioned as he himself yawned.

“I’m okay.” Charlie answered as she continued to watch Joseph sleeping. She very gently ran her hand over his forehead. She gave a little smile as she watched his chest moving up and down.

“Babe,” Brax exhaled as he stood up and walked over to her, kneeling down before her and placing his hand on her knee. “It’s not good for you to sit up all night,” Brax exhaled. He was aware that Charlie had spent some of the night the night before sitting watching over Joseph, but wasn’t sure how to approach the topic given why he figured Charlie was doing this. “You need to sleep too so you can be fresh for him in the morning.”

“Like I said, I’m fine,” Charlie answered. “What harm it is doing in me watching him for a while?”

Brax exhaled lightly. “It’s not healthy sweetheart. Joseph is fine. Please just come back to bed and sleep, yeah?”

Charlie pursed her lips together before glancing up at Brax. “Will you watch him till his next feed then?”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “He doesn’t need watched, he’ll be fine. Leave him to sleep.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I’m just going to sit up a little longer.” Charlie looked back down to the moses basket, and looked back down to her son.

Brax stood back up and exhaled as he lightly put his hand onto her cheek, rubbing her face gently. “Come to bed soon then, yeah?” Brax gave her a smile, thinking that pushing her would probably only make her worse, and she’d probably end up falling asleep on the chair anyways. Charlie watched Brax get back into the bed and close his eyes to sleep before looking back to Joseph. She took a deep breath before she lifted him into her arms, laying him over her chest, a feeling of comfort entering her as she felt his breath against her skin. She lightly rubbed his back as she sat back in the chair and placed a soft kiss on the top of his head.

“Mummy isn’t ever going to let anything happen to you,” Charlie said as she continued to rub his back. “I’ll make sure of that.” Charlie said before placing another soft kiss onto his head.

Ruby looked up to see Mink approaching the counter. “Mink,” Ruby gave her a little smile. “How did you enjoy your lunch?”

“It was....edible,” Mink curled her nose up. “So this town still as boring then?” Mink sighed as she picked up the cover that was over the cupcakes and took one out and took a bite.

“It’s not boring.” Ruby answered as she put the lid back over the cupcakes.

“Right,” Mink gave a little laugh. “What am I supposed to do then?”

“Surf?” Ruby questioned. “You enjoy that, no?”

“Don’t have a board with me eh.” Mink picked at the cupcake, letting little bits of the sponge fall to the floor.

“You can use mine.” Ruby told her. During their travels Romeo had started to show Ruby how to surf and when they returned home he’d presented her with an old surf board that he used to use for his surf school.

“I rode with the professionals,” Mink gave a little laugh at what Ruby said. “I won’t use your rubbish board.”

“Right sorry I offered,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “What about Romeo’s?”

“Todd’s aren’t the best either,” Mink laughed once again. “So surfing is all you are giving me?” Mink sighed. “So, I was right eh, pretty boring.”

“If it’s so boring then why are you here?” Ruby questioned. Mink and her hadn’t really gotten along since her arrival and Ruby was really hoping this was going to be a short visit.

“To see my brother,” Mink replied. “Anyways, I’ll head off. See you at home, roomie.” Mink smirked at Ruby.

“Aren’t you going to pay for your lunch first?” Ruby questioned.

Mink gave a little laugh as she shook her head. “We’re practically family. It’s on the house, right?”

“Eh no,” Ruby shook her head. “You’ll need to pay. This isn’t my diner. I can’t just give out free meals.”

“I’m sure one will be fine.” Mink grinned before she walked out of the diner. Ruby sighed as she felt the presence of someone behind her. She turned around to see Colleen standing there.

“If she doesn’t come back to pay it’ll be coming out of your wages,” Colleen squawked. “You can’t go giving free meals out you know.”

“I didn’t,” Ruby answered. “She just walked out without paying.”

“Who walked out without paying?” Romeo questioned as he appeared at the counter.

“You’re lovely sister,” Ruby exhaled as Colleen scurried off to the kitchen as Irene shouted on her to come take some orders out. “Burger and fries, milkshake and a cupcake all eaten but unpaid for.”

“Ah,” Romeo pulled his wallet from his pocket. “I thought I saw her running down to the beach. I’ll take a coffee to go please,” Rome ordered. “And I guess I’ll pay for Mink’s stuff too.”

“What with?” Ruby sighed. “We have no money as it is, Romeo.” Ruby pushed the button on the coffee machine.

“I have money for lunch.” Romeo gave a little laugh.

Ruby looked unimpressed at Romeo as she rang Mink’s lunch and Romeo’s coffee through the till. “Have you talked to her about moving out our van?” Ruby questioned as Romeo handed her a note to pay.

“No yet,” Romeo shook his head. “I will though.”

“Well do it soon,” Ruby sighed as she put his change into his hand. “There’s no room in there as it is. We don’t need her and all her stuff in there too.”

“She’s my sister,” Romeo sighed. “I can’t just throw her on the street.”

“She can stay in another van,” Ruby sighed as she handed Romeo his coffee. “We need our own space.”

“She’s only staying for a few days I think,” Romeo replied. “Please just put up with it, for me.” Romeo gave her a little pout.

“A few more days.” Ruby sighed.

“Thanks,” Romeo gave her a smile. “And maybe we could go around to see Charlie, Brax and the boys tonight, get a little space from Mink?”

“Maybe,” Ruby sighed. “I have to get back to work. I’ll see you later.” Ruby said quietly before walking away from Romeo and into the kitchen to take out some orders that Irene was busy plating up.

Brax was standing at the school gates, waiting on Connor to come down after his day at school. He smiled as he saw the little fair haired boy running down to meet him. “Hey,” Brax said as Connor wrapped his arms around him in a hug. “How was school?”

“Okay,” Connor answered as he pulled back. “I drew this picture for Joseph.” Connor showed the picture to Brax.

“Aww wow buddy that’s cool.” Brax smiled as he looked at the picture what was supposed to be the beach, with some sandcastles and what Brax thought was supposed to be Zak running for a ball.

“Yeah,” Connor answered as he took Brax’s hand and started to walk along the road. “Why is mummy and Joseph not here?” Connor questioned.

“They are just chilling out at home,” Brax answered. “But that’s good because I want to go and buy your mummy a push present.”

“A what?” Connor screwed his face up.

“A present because she pushed ...” Brax trailed off. “A present because she had the baby.”

“Oh like a bag of haribo?” Connor looked up at Brax, his eyes lighting up at the thought.

“No,” Brax laughed. “Something a little more special.” Brax unlocked the car and opened the back door for Connor to get in.

“So you’ll need me to help then, ay?” Connor asked as he climbed in the car, carefully putting his picture for Joseph onto the seat next to him as Brax got into the front and put his seat belt on before turning on the ignition.

“That’s right,” Brax gave a little laugh. “You belted up?” Brax turned to face Connor as he nodded.

“Okay,” Brax smiled as he turned back to face the front of the car and pulled out and started driving along the road, making his way to the shops. “And remember not to tell mummy about it when we get home.”

“Daddy,” Connor sighed and Brax gave a little smile as he felt a funny feeling in his stomach, loving now being called dad from Connor. “I don’t like you making me keep secrets from mummy.”

“Just this last one,” Brax gave a little laugh. “I want to surprise mummy when I give it to her.”

“Okay,” Connor exhaled. “But then no more for a long time, right?”

“Right.” Brax answered as he turned into the road on the left.

“And you know, daddy, you could buy me a bag of haribo because I kept the secret from mummy.” Connor told him, his voice all serious sounding.

“Oh I can?” Brax gave a little laugh. “Tell you what. I’ll buy the haribo but you don’t get them unless you keep it quiet, right?”

“No no no,” Connor shook his head. “I get them to keep quiet.” Connor gave a cheeky grin.

“Oh, now I’m not sure about that.” Brax laughed at the boy as he continued to drive along the road.

“Yes,” Connor answered. “Oh and we should buy something new for Joseph too,” Connor told Brax. “We should or he might feel left out if mummy and me get something and he doesn’t eh?”

“Not sure he’ll know the feeling of being left out yet,” Brax mumbled as he pulled into the car park of the shopping mall. “But yeah,” Brax spoke louder. “We’ll get one thing for him too. But you can take the blame from mummy cos she’ll say he has enough already.” Brax said as he parked the car and turned the ignition off.

“Oh no,” Connor shook his head as they got out of the car, Brax locking the door and taking Connor’s hand as they walked through the car park. “If she be’s mad it’ll be to you,” Connor told him. “But you know, you just give her a kiss and eyes like these,” Brax looked down to Connor as he gave him is best puppy dog eyes. Brax gave a little laugh at the boy. “And she’ll be okay with you, she will really.” Connor said before giving a little skip.

“C’mon, let’s go pick out something nice for your mum.” Brax laughed at the boy as they walked into the shopping mall.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 152

Connor ran into the house to see Charlie with Joseph in her arms as she spoke with Morag. “Oh hello grandma.” Connor smiled.

“Connor,” Morag smiled down at him as she put her coffee cup down on the table. “How was school?” Morag questioned as Brax walked into the house, closing the door with his foot.

“Okay,” Connor answered. “I did this picture for Joseph,” Connor held the picture up for all to see as Brax joined them on the couch.

“Ah wow,” Charlie yawned. “We’ll need to put that up on the kitchen wall next to all your other masterpieces hmm?”

“Yeah,” Connor gave a little giggle. “Daddy, get out what we bought him too.” Connor said as he looked around to Brax.

“Oh so that’s why you are later than normal?” Charlie questioned. “I wondered where you’d got to.”

“Yeah we goed shopping,” Connor answered as Brax handed him the little outfit for Joseph. “I got haribo’s,” Connor grinned. “And I picked this for Joseph.” Connor laid the little dungarees out on his knee. Charlie smiled as she looked down to the little red dungarees with a pirate ship and the word ahoy written on front, with a little white and navy stripy t-shirt for underneath.

“Aww it’s lovely.” Charlie smiled.

“Yeah. Do you like it grandma?” Connor looked up to his grandma questioningly.

“Yes, it’s very nice.” Morag smiled.

“It’s say n-e-w-b-o-r-n-b-a-b-y,” Connor sounded it out. “New-born baby. Because he’s new. It’ll fit ay?”

“Sure it will,” Charlie yawned. “We’ll dress him in this tomorrow yeah?”

“Uh-huh.” Connor grinned.

“So, did the little one keep you up most of the night?” Morag questioned. “She’s not stopped yawning since I’ve got here.” Morag looked to Brax but gestured to Charlie as she spoke.

“He wasn’t that bad, actually.” Brax answered as he looked to Charlie.

“Yeah I just eh, couldn’t sleep.” Charlie cleared her throat as she looked down to her son who was sleeping her arms, smiling lightly as she saw his chest moving up and down. Brax exhaled lightly as he glanced at her for a moment, before looking to Morag, Morag sensing from the look on his face something was right but that now wasn’t the time to bring it up.

“Oh and mummy, well in English....well ehm,” Connor scratched the side of his head before he leaned down and opened his school bag. “We had to write a letter to anyone in the world we wanted and I wrote mines for daddy.”

“Ah that’s cool,” Charlie smiled. “Are you going to give him it then?”

“No not daddy Brax,” Connor shook his head. “My daddy Angelo.”

“Oh I see,” Charlie forced away another yawn. “Well you put that in a safe place and the next time we go to Melbourne we will take it to the grave, okay.”

“No,” Connor frowned. “I want to give him it now.”

“Well you can’t buddy,” Charlie answered. “There’s nowhere here to put it.”

“There needs to be then,” Connor replied sadly. “A place for me to remember daddy.”

“We could plant a tree in the garden.” Brax suggested and Connor turned to face him with a smile forming on his face.

“Really?” Connor grinned.

“Sure,” Brax nodded. “And you could plant that letter with it for your daddy.”

“Oh daddy that would be the best,” Connor smiled. “Can we go get the tree right now?”

“Uh, we’ll go tomorrow eh.” Brax answered.

“Aww.” Connor bowed his head down sadly.

“How about I take you now?” Morag questioned.

“Yeah grandma, let’s go,” Connor jumped down excitedly from the couch, leaving the picture for Joseph and the letter for Angelo on the coffee table. “You no read it, okay?” Connor pointed to his mother before he pointed to Brax.

“We won’t.” Charlie answered before Morag and Connor left the house to get the tree to plant in Angelo’s memory.

“So, let daddy have a little cuddle,” Brax said as he took Joseph from Charlie’s arms. “Hey pip, you going to wake up?” Brax cooed down at Joseph as he eyes flickered a little before they remained closed. “No, you just dreaming?” Brax questioned. “Dreaming of mummy’s boobies?”

“Brax.” Charlie hit her hand against his arm.

“Well I’m sure he’ll like them,” Brax grinned as he looked back up to Charlie. “That’s where he gets his food.”

“Still.” Charlie sighed.

Brax gave a little laugh. “What does breast milk taste like?”

“Like breast milk.” Charlie screwed her face up as she leaned forward to the coffee table and picked up her class of water, wincing as her stomach hurt.

“That still sore?” Brax questioned.

“Not as much but a little,” Charlie answered. “I’ve to go in in 3 days time for them to take my stitches out so only a couple more days of pain are likely.” Charlie said before taking a drink.

Brax gave her a little smile. “Hopefully that’s all it is.” Brax took Charlie’s glass from her and leaned forward, putting it back on the coffee table, before he stood up and placed Joseph down in the moses basket behind the couch.

“What are you doing?” Charlie questioned as she watched him sitting back down on the couch next to her.

“He’s asleep,” Brax gave a little sigh. “Baby, he will be fine. Please, trust me, it’s okay,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she put her eyes back onto the moses basket. Brax leaned forward and pulled the box from the bag. “So, I believe that dads are supposed to get the mums a push present.” Brax said, hoping to distract Charlie.

“What?” Charlie questioned as she looked down to the box in his hand. “No, you didn’t need to get me anything.”

“Well I like spoiling you,” Brax grinned as he handed Charlie the box. “You gave me that gorgeous little boy so it’s only fair I give you something back.”

“Well you did have a part in making Joseph,” Charlie said as she glanced back at the moses basket. “He’s not just my creation.”

“I know, but you had to go through a lot more than me to get him here,” Brax gave a little smile. “So, I wanted to buy you a little present to show my thanks.”

Charlie smiled before she opened the box and looked down to the charm bracelet with 4 pendants hanging from it. “Brax,” Charlie exhaled as she picked it out, the white gold shining under the light. She looked to the first pendant and saw it was a little white gold R with a little pearl set in the bottom. The second pendant was a C; the stone set in it an amethyst, for a February birthstone. The third letter was an L, with an aquamarine stone set in the corner, and the forth a J, Joseph like Ruby having a June birthdate and pearl as the birthstone. “Brax this is gorgeous,” Charlie once again ran her hand over the L. “You should have just got the J though, I bet this cost a fortune.”

“I originally was,” Brax answered. “But Connor insisted I should get all of your children on there. He can be an expensive little bugger,” Brax gave a little laugh. “But it’s a nice thing to have, no?”

“It is,” Charlie continued to rub the little L pendant. “Thank you,” Charlie handed it to Brax before holding her arm out and Brax put it around her wrist. She leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Brax smiled before wrapping his arms around in a hug.

“Hey bro.” Mink said as she walked into the restaurant and sat up on the bar stool.

“Hey,” Romeo smiled at his sister. “What’s this visit in aid of?”

“Bored,” Mink put her elbows against the bar top before resting her head against her hand. “Get me a beer eh?”

“You got money?” Romeo questioned.

“Nah, but surely you can shout your sister a beer,” Mink exhaled. Romeo sighed as he reached into the fridge and pulled out a beer, screwing the cap off before putting it down in front of her. “Cheers bro.” Mink held the bottle up before taking a drink.

“Just that one yeah?” Romeo questioned. “Not sure Brax would appreciate me giving away freebies.”

“Well maybe he should come to work then.” Mink retorted.

“His fiancée has just had a baby,” Romeo exhaled. “He’s on paternity leave.”

“He didn’t push the kid from him,” Mink gave a sort of laugh. “He doesn’t need to be on paternity leave.”

“He’s taken a couple of weeks off to bond with the baby and help Charlie out. This has been hard for her.” Romeo told his sister.

Mink screwed her face up before taking a swig of her beer. “Why? She has Ruby and the little boy. It’s not like it’s her first kid.”

“No but she lost one to SID’s a couple of years ago,” Romeo said and Mink widened her eyes. “So it’ll probably be a hard time for a while.”

“Right yeah,” Mink clicked her tongue. “So anyways, you’re probably thinking I didn’t just come back for a random visit right?”

“Well knowing you, no,” Romeo shook his head. “You going to tell me what you’re here for?”

“I’m not going to go into too much detail, but I need money.” Mink told him.

“How much?” Romeo asked.

“Near $3,000.” Mink told him.

“I don’t have that kind of money,” Romeo shook his head. “I’d love to help you Mink and you know I would if I could, but, like I say, I don’t have that kinda money.”

“Aren’t you and your girl saving up for an apartment?” Mink questioned.

“Well yeah but,” Romeo rubbed the back of his head. “That money is going towards a deposit.”

“I’m your sister,” Mink said. “Surely she’d understand I need help.”

“I’m sorry.” Romeo exhaled.

“Right okay,” Mink pursed her lips together. “I’ll just go to the police station. Tell them that even though I confessed to murdering our step-dad and did time for it that it was actually you. Get in lots of trouble for murder and lying to the cops eh?” Mink said as she stood up from the seat and started walking away.

“Mink, no,” Romeo shouted out after his sister. “I eh...I’ll get you some money,” Romeo spoke quietly. “I don’t know how yet, but I’ll help.” Mink smiled as she walked back up to the stool and took a seat.

“Good Todd,” Mink grinned. “Now, I’ll have another beer.” Mink said before glugging down the rest of the bottle before pushing it across the bar as Romeo sighed while he took another one out for her.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 153

Ruby knocked on the door before walking into the house. “Hello?” Ruby looked around the empty living room before walking through the house and walking out the back door where she saw Connor throwing an envelope into a hole, before Brax put the little tree into it before adding the soil as Charlie and Morag stood back and watched, Charlie with a now awake Joseph in her arms. “Hey.”

“Shhh Ruby.” Connor looked up to her and put his index finger over his month. “We are remembering daddy.”

Ruby gave a little nod of understanding as she walked further forward, standing next to Charlie and Morag as they watched Connor helping Brax plant the tree. After a few more minutes of silence Connor walked back and grinned as he looked to the tree. “Will it grow bigger?”

“Sure it will buddy,” Brax answered as he put his hands on his shoulders. “It’ll grow nice and big and we will get apples from it.”

“Cool,” Connor smiled. “Will you come play scalextrics now?” Connor looked questioningly up to Brax.

“Sure I will,” Brax answered. “Go get it ready and I’ll be up soon.” Connor ran across the garden before going back into the house.

“Alright, Rubes?” Brax questioned. “I thought Romeo was coming too?”

“He’s been held back at the restaurant,” Ruby sighed. “He said he’ll be around as soon as he can though.”

“Right, well I better head up.” Brax pointed back to the house.

“Yes, I’ll head back to Alfred’s,” Morag looked down to Joseph and gave him a smile. “Bye bye little guy, I’ll come visit again soon.” Morag lightly rubbed his little hand as his eyes moved around as he listened.

“Bye,” Ruby and Charlie spoke at the same time before Morag walked through the house to leave. “So,” Charlie looked down to the magazines in Ruby’s arms. “What are these?”

“Wedding magazines,” Ruby grinned up at her mother. “Thought we could look at some dresses and ideas and such.”

“Ah nice plan, let’s get back inside and talk weddings,” Charlie smiled as she walked back into the house with Ruby following. “You want a coffee?”

“Yeah please,” Ruby answered as she put the magazines down on the kitchen table and hung her bag over a chair. Charlie flicked the kettle on before looking down at Joseph. It would be easier for her to make one if she wasn’t holding him. “You want a hold?” Charlie questioned. “You’ve not actually held him yet.”

“Eh sure, a little hug,” Ruby pursed her lips together as Charlie passed him down to her. “Hey pip I’m your big sister and for anything you can’t tell mummy you come to me, alright?”

“Hey none of that,” Charlie opened the fridge and took out the milk, pouring some into the cup. “Don’t you be encouraging him to not talk to us.”

Ruby gave a little laugh before she looked down to him. “He’s so fricken cute. I can’t believe how much he looks like Brax.” Ruby said as she took a seat at the table.

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled as she put a spoonful of sugar into the cup. “He has my eyes though.”

“Definitely,” Ruby agreed. “I don’t think I’ve seen eyes as blue before,” Ruby gave Joseph a little smile. “He has your hair colouring too,” Ruby gently ran her hand over his little head. “It is so soft.”

“Yeah.” Charlie poured the hot water from the kettle into the cup and gave it a stir before walking over to the table and putting the cup down in front of Ruby.

“Ohh nice bracelet,” Ruby smiled as she noticed the charm bracelet on Charlie’s wrist. “You been treating yourself?”

“Brax bought me it,” Charlie answered as she sat down next to her daughter, gently rubbing her son’s head as she gazed at him lovingly before looking at Ruby and seeing she looked a little uncomfortable with Joseph in her arms. “You okay there?”

“Yeah, but take him back,” Ruby said as she moved her arms forward and Charlie gave Ruby a questioning look as she took Joseph back into her arms. “I just don’t want to spill coffee on him,” Ruby said as she took the coffee cup into her hands. “So,” Ruby exhaled, changing the subject. “I got an email from Rachel this morning.”

“Oh lovely,” Charlie smiled, figuring missing Aimee when a new baby was around would probably be why Ruby seemed hesitant around Joseph but she’d wait until Ruby said something, if ever. “How’s she doing?”

“Great,” Ruby smiled. “She’s been crawling for a few months now and she can pull herself up against the couch or a chair. She’s got 5 teeth and she just loves the water,” Ruby gave a smile as she spoke about the child. “Rach and Tony take her 2 or 3 times a week.”

“Aww well that’s nice,” Charlie smiled. “I’m glad you’re getting to know about her.” Charlie lightly rubbed Joseph’s back as she spoke; even the thought of someone taking her son away from her killed her.

“Me too,” Ruby answered. “And they always put a couple of picture in the email too. It’s nice to see her changing,” Ruby gave a little smile. “She has my curly locks and green eyes and little nose.”

“Must be a little cutie then.” Charlie smiled.

“Yeah, I’ll show you the pictures later,” Ruby told her. “We’ll look through these first,” Ruby said as she opened one of the magazine’s to reveal a lady in a wedding dress standing on a cliff top. “Ohh you know what, we should have a double wedding,” Ruby gave a grin. “Would be cool.”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s your day. I’m not stepping on it,” Charlie gently rocked Joseph as he made a little noise. “Besides Brax and I have a new-born to deal with right now. We don’t need the hassle of a wedding on top of that.”

“Oh right.” Ruby sighed.

“You seem disappointed there?” Charlie screwed her face up. “Is a double wedding really that important to you?”

“Would just save on money,” Ruby spoke quietly as she looked down. “Romeo and I aren’t exactly rolling in it right now.”

“Well I expect not after all that travelling.” Charlie said.

“Maybe we’ll just have to wait till we have more money,” Ruby sighed. “Can’t get married without money, can you?”

“It helps,” Charlie exhaled. “But you know, I’m more than happy to fund this wedding Rubes. You’re my little girl and you should have your dream day.”

“Ruby smiled thankfully at her mother. “Thanks but I couldn’t ask you to do that.”

“You’re not asking me,” Charlie shook her head. “I’m offering.”

Ruby pursed her lips together as she considered this. “A little help would be appreciated,” Ruby said. “But I can’t let you pay for all of it. Half maybe? I mean you do have Joseph to get things for.”

“Believe me we have enough for Joseph for a while. Brax has us well stocked,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “I’d be more than happy to pay half.”

Ruby gave her mother an appreciative smile. “Thanks. And we’ll pay you back if you want.”

“Don’t be silly,” Charlie shook her head. “Call it part of the wedding gift.”

“The only wedding gift,” Ruby’s voice went higher. “If you are paying for some you’re not buying us a gift too.”

“If you say so,” Charlie mumbled. “How’s things with his sister?”

“Meh,” Ruby screwed her face up. “Let’s just say I hope it’s a flying visit.” Ruby took a drink of her coffee.

“That bad?” Charlie cocked her head to the side as pursed her lips together in wonderment.

“Let’s just say if she wasn’t Romeo’s sister I wouldn’t be putting up with her,” Ruby sighed as she cupped her hands around the cup once again. “I need to try for Romeo’s sake but hopefully he’s at least asked her to get a van of her own.”

“Yeah I hope so too.” Charlie yawned.

“Pip been keeping you up all night?” Ruby questioned as she gestured down to the baby.

“He’s not up any more times than a child of 4 days should be,” Charlie answered. “I just can’t sleep,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked down to her son. “I like to know that he’s safe.”

Ruby smiled sympathetically. “I’m sure you’ll can put him down safely,” Ruby answered. “You need to sleep, Charlie.”

“I can’t,” Charlie shook her head. “Because if I sleep and he....” Charlie trailed off before taking a deep breath, unable to even say it out loud; she didn’t want to curse it.

“He’ll be fine, Charlie.” Ruby said as she put her hand onto Charlie’s arm and rubbed it gently.

“No, we can’t say that,” Charlie answered. “We don’t know that he will and this is something I need to do, not just for him, but for me.”

Ruby exhaled and wondered if she should say anymore. Right now, Charlie was probably still recovering from the birth and her surgery and with the new baby here, Lily would be very fresh on her mind and Ruby wondered if in a few more days, maybe a week, Charlie would grow out of watching over Joseph and learn that he was going to fine if she left him to sleep and knew that Brax would eventually be able to get her to open up and share her concerns with him and that he’d more than likely be able to get her to sleep at night. “Well don’t sacrifice too much sleep,” Ruby spoke quietly. “Not going to be much use to him if you’re falling asleep through the day are you?” Ruby questioned. “It’s important you get rest too.”

“I know,” Charlie answered. “And I promise I will if I need it.” Charlie said before pursing her lips together and looking down at her son as his eyes scanned around the room before him as he gave a little squirm. She gave him a little smile as she knew what she said was going to be easier said than done.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 154

Ruby walked back into the caravan to see Mink and Romeo eating a chinese takeaway. “I thought you were coming to Charlie’s after work?” Ruby questioned.

“Well he came here to eat with me instead,” Mink answered. “We have stuff to talk about.”

“Right,” Ruby exhaled as she put her bag and the magazines down on the bed. “Would have been nice to let us know you weren’t coming,” Ruby said. “They made dinner for you.”

“Sorry,” Romeo answered. I did tell you I would be stuck at work for a while longer though.”

“Yeah but you also told me that you’d be there for dinner,” Ruby replied. “But you know, it’s fine, Connor is a growing boy and Brax.....well he can eat, so it wasn’t as if yours went to waste.” Ruby gave a little laugh.

“Then get off his back.” Mink sighed.

“Mink,” Romeo sighed as he gazed at his sister. She pulled a face at him before continuing to eat her dinner. “Anyways, how was little Pip?”

“Yeah he’s good.” Ruby answered as she sat on the end of the bed and stared over at Mink.

“Do I have something on my face?” Mink questioned.

“No.” Ruby answered.

“So you want to take a picture?” Mink asked.

“No.” Ruby once again answered.

“Then quit staring.” Mink glared at Ruby as she spoke.

Ruby exhaled before looking to Romeo. “I’m going to go see April for a while.”

“Her and Dex have gone out tonight,” Romeo replied. “Some sort of anniversary or something.”

“Well I’ll go see Nicole then.” Ruby sighed as she stood up from the bed and made to walk out of the caravan.

“Rubes,” Romeo called after her as he followed her out and walked through the caravan park behind her. “Rubes,” Romeo put his hand out to touch her arm. “What’s wrong?”

Ruby gave a little snigger as she turned to face him. “Like you don’t know.”

Romeo screwed his face up. “Because Mink is staying?”

“Got it in one,” Ruby said. “Look, I get that she’s your sister and I can’t stop you being with her, but she can’t keep staying in our van,” Ruby said. “There’s just no room. I thought you would have at least asked her to get her own van by now.”

“She doesn’t have any money,” Romeo pursed her lips together. “She’s not going to be here forever, Rubes. I know it’s not ideal, but, I promise it’s not going to be forever. She’ll do what she has to then she will be one her way,” Ruby exhaled as Romeo rubbed her cheek lightly. “Don’t be mad at me. I hate it when you’re mad with me.”

Ruby pursed her lips together as she looked into his eyes. “I’ll try to put up with her for a little while longer,” Ruby said. “But what did you mean you’ll do what she needs to do then be on her way?”

“I eh,” Romeo rubbed the back of his head. He knew there was no way he could give Mink any money behind Ruby’s back but knew he needed to wait till Ruby was in the right mood to tell her about it. “Well you know, I mean whatever she’s here for.”

“So she’s still not said anything then?” Ruby wondered.

“Nah, nothing yet.” Romeo swallowed. “C’mon we’ll go for a walk. Have some time to ourselves, hmm.”

“I’d rather have time to ourselves in the caravan.” Ruby mumbled.

Romeo gave a little laugh. “C’mon,” Romeo took Ruby’s hand into his and they continued to walk away from the caravan. “I’m sure she won’t be here for long.” Romeo exhaled thinking the quicker he could get Mink the money, the quicker she could leave and wouldn’t be around to cause anything between him and Ruby.

Brax walked back down the stairs, smiling as he looked to Charlie who was feeding Joseph. “What’s put that grin on your face?” Charlie questioned as Brax joined her on the couch.

“I love your boy,” Brax said. “I love him calling me dad. It feels....it’s just....it’s great.”

Charlie smiled as she looked up to him. “I guess he went to sleep okay?”

“Yeah,” Brax smiled. “He’s pleased its Saturday tomorrow,” Brax said. “Wants us to take little Pip out for a spin in his wheels.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “I guess it might be good for Joseph to get out the house,” Charlie said. “We can take him out for a little walk.”

“Yeah.” Brax smiled as he lightly rubbed his son’s head.

“Maybe we should buy a breast pump,” Charlie yawned before looking back down to her son who was enjoying his feed. “Not only will it give me a break from always feeding him, it’ll give you a go,” Charlie answered. “I’m sure you’d love to feed him, right?”

“Oh yeah,” Brax grinned. “Would be good. I’m surprised we haven’t got one already to be honest.”

“I guess we just forgot,” Charlie yawned once again. “But you know he’s feeding right at Connor’s bedtime and I don’t want to always miss his bedtime because I’m with the baby. You know I don’t want Connor getting jealous.”

“Yeah,” Brax agreed. “Well like I say, tomorrow we’ll take Joseph out for a spin in his wheels and we can go to the shops for one.”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled as she took Joseph from her breast and held him over her shoulder, rubbing his back lightly until he gave a little burp. She laid him across her knee as she clipped her bra back together before pulling her top down. Joseph made a little noise as Charlie lifted him back up and smelt at his bottom. “Pooey baby, you do need changed don’t you?”

“I’ll do it,” Brax took his son into his arms and stood up and laid his son down on the arm chair on top of a little white and yellow baby blanket they had for him. Charlie passed him a clean nappy, some wipes and a nappy bag before she lay down on the couch as another yawn came over her. “Thank you mummy,” Brax said as he cooed down at Joseph as he unbuttoned his little baby grow. “Ahh Joseph,” Brax screwed his face up as he could already smell the little gift his son had left him. “You made a big smell. You stinky Pip you,” Brax undid the tabs on the nappy and very slowly opened it, wary that his son would pee over him again. “Yeah, good boy, no pee for daddy today,” Brax coughed back, stunned that someone so cute and tiny could make such a smell. “Why does baby poop smell so bad?” Brax gagged as he pulled a wipe from the pack and wiped his son’s bottom. “What’s in that milk of yours?” Brax gave a little laugh as he turned to face Charlie and gave a little smile as he saw her lying across the couch, sound asleep. “Yey, mummy is asleep baby,” Brax smiled as he took another wipe from the pack and once again wiped his son’s bottom. “I love how much mummy is caring for you, but I’m worried too. You know it’s not right for mummy to sit up all night, don’t you?” Brax spoke softly as he watched Joseph’s eyes moving around. “Yes,” Brax took the nappy from his son and laid it on the floor before gently putting the clean nappy underneath him and folding the tabs shut. He re-did the buttons on Joseph’s baby grow before looking down to the nappy to see Zak sniffing and checking it out. “No, Zakky,” Brax pulled the nappy away from him, Zak following it. “Zakky boy, trust me, you don’t want that,” Brax folded it up and put it into the nappy bag and tied it shut before lifting Joseph into his arms. Zak followed Brax across the room to the nappy bin and looked up at him with puppy dog eyes. Brax gave a little laugh as he put the dirty nappy away. “I’ll tell you what. I’ll put Joseph and Charlie to bed then I’ll take you out for your walk then give you one of your chews, how’s that?” Brax said and Zak gave a little squeak as an answer. Brax laughed lightly before walking with Joseph up the stairs and by the time he got there he looked down to see he was already sleeping. He placed a soft kiss on his son’s forehead before putting him down into his moses basket, before walking back down the stairs and looked down to Charlie who was still asleep. He smiled as he lifted her up and carried her up to the bedroom, managing to pull the covers back before laying her down on the bed. She didn’t even stir as he pulled her clothes off of her and put her pyjama’s onto her, a sign at how tired Charlie actually was. He bent down and placed a soft kiss on her forehead before gently pulling the covers over her before leaving her to sleep, hopefully, for the next few hours, until Joseph would wake up for his next feed.

Thank you for the comments.

Chapter 155

Charlie got out of the bed and yawned before walking over to the moses basket. “Hey baby time for your feed,” Charlie cooed as she looked down to her son. Immediately she knew something was wrong. “Joseph,” Charlie put her hand onto her stomach as she got that same sickening feeling as she had had over two years ago when she saw Lily laying exactly the same. “No,” Charlie shook her head as she felt herself welling up with tears. “Joseph,” Charlie raised her voice as she picked her son up into her arms. “Joseph, c’mon,” Charlie felt her heart racing as she looked down to her lifeless son. “Not again, no, please,” Charlie rubbed her son’s little hand. “Wake up Pip,” Charlie cried. “You have to wake up,” Charlie fell to the ground, clutching tightly onto her son, his lifeless body lying in her arms. “Brax,” Charlie yelled out as she looked to the bed where Brax was laying sleeping. “Brax, it’s Joseph, get up Brax,” Charlie yelled. “Not my baby....no.” Charlie screamed out.

“Joseph,” Charlie shot up in the bed, her palms all sweaty and her heart was beating fast. “No, Joseph,” Charlie got out of bed and ran over to the moses basket and looked down to her son, relieved to see his little chest moving up and down. “Oh baby.” Charlie breathed a sigh of relief as she lifted her son into her arms, placing a soft kiss on the side of his head.

“Hey, what’s the shouting for?” Brax ran into the room, a worried look plastered on his face.

“It was horrible,” Charlie sniffed back as a tear rolled down her cheek. “He wasn’t....it was....he was dead and I saw him....it happened again.”

“Oh Charlie,” Brax walked further into the room and wrapped one arm around Charlie as the other went onto Joseph’s back as Charlie hugged him close over her shoulder. “It was just a bad dream. You’re okay. He’s okay. He’s okay right?” Brax questioned.

Charlie nodded as she moved Joseph so Brax had a better view of his son. “When did I.....I don’t remember coming to bed.”

“Nah you fell asleep down the stairs so I brought you and Joseph up.” Brax answered.

“So you left him to sleep on his own?” Charlie raised her voice, sounding most appalled. “Why didn’t you watch him or wake me?”

“Because you need the sleep,” Brax exhaled. “And he’s okay, baby it was just a horrible dream,” Brax lightly rubbed Charlie’s back as they both looked down to Joseph. “It’s normal for parents to leave their child sleeping. It’s what’s supposed to happen.”

“But I can’t,” Charlie shook her head. “What if the next time it’s not just a dream?” Charlie cried. “I can’t leave him, Brax.”

“You can,” Brax nodded as he continued to rub her back. “He is going to be okay. Look at the odd’s he defied to get here, Charlie. He’s one strong little Pip and he’s isn’t going to go anywhere. You have to believe that, sweetie. Relax and trust that he’s going to be okay.”

“But we don’t know that,” Charlie shook her head. “We didn’t think Lily would die but she did and it could happen again.”

“It’s highly unlikely to happen to you twice,” Brax exhaled as he looked down to his son, who was sleeping peacefully in his mother’s arms. “But how about, when we go to the hospital on Monday to get your stitches out, we talk to the doctor and maybe he could give us one of those baby sleeping monitor things?” Brax questioned. “Remember Wendy talked about them?”

“An apnea monitor?” Charlie questioned and Brax gave a little nod. “No,” Charlie shook her head. “I’d be sitting up waiting for it to beep, checking it was on right. I think that would make me worse.”

“Well, we need to do something, you know that, right?” Brax questioned. “I can’t let you sit up all night with him. It’s not right and you know it, deep down, don’t you?”

Charlie gave a little shrug. “It’s not so bad I don’t think given what I’ve been through.”

Brax exhaled as he rubbed his forehead. “You need to sleep when he’s sleeping so maybe you could go talk to Wendy a few more times?” Brax questioned. Although Wendy had said towards the end of Charlie’s pregnancy that she was fine to not have any more sessions, she did say to Brax that she may need a couple once the baby is born, depending on how much she let herself bond. Brax knew Charlie had had no problems bonding with the baby, it was her overprotectiveness that was now worrying him, quite the opposite of the way he thought it would go. “Maybe she’ll be able to put your mind at rest.”

“Maybe,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “But I’m not sure anything will work because it’s always going to be a worry. You know I sometimes still check on Connor, right?”

“I know you do,” Brax gave a little nod. “And that’s okay, every now and then, checking in on him before you go to bed, or if you get up in the night but sitting by your baby’s cot all night, every night, not wanting to put him down....” Brax shook his head. “You know that’s not healthy for anyone.”

“I can’t help it,” Charlie exhaled as she looked over to the digital clock and saw it was just a few minutes away from his next feed. “I eh, I need to feed him,” Charlie walked over to the chair and sat down, just as Joseph gave a little squirm as his eyes opened and he cried a little. “Mummy’s right here baby,” Charlie spoke softly down to him. “Well get you fed then hmm.” Charlie took her breast out from the top of her singlet and Joseph immediately started to feed. Brax walked over and sat on the arm of the chair as he wrapped his arm around Charlie and placed a soft kiss on her head.

“I promise I’ll help you through this, okay?” Brax questioned. “We’ll find a way.”

“Maybe I just need to be left to do things how I want,” Charlie answered. “If I am that tired I will go to bed.”

“But you won’t,” Brax spoke softly, trying not to sound like he was attacking Charlie. “You’ve clearly needed it since we’ve brought him home from the hospital but you’ve not done it.”

“We’ve only been home 2 days.” Charlie answered.

“Yeah and look at you already,” Brax sighed. “Babe, you are going to make yourself ill if you continue like this. And Joseph and Connor could do without you being ill, right? They need their mummy here. Well and alert and if you never sleep they won’t have that, will they?”

“Well I’m sorry that I’m letting you and them down,” Charlie answered. “What a let-down, huh?

“C’mon Charlie I didn’t mean....” Brax trailed off. “Sweetheart, I’m only trying to look out for you here.”

Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked up at him. “Well it doesn’t feel like that. It feels like you are saying I’m being a bad mother.”

“Never,” Brax shook his head. “You are a brilliant mother and Connor and Joseph are lucky little guys to have you, but, I’m just saying, and I’m only saying it because I love you so much, that it’s not healthy for you.”

Charlie sighed lightly as she looked back down to her son. She knew Brax was telling the truth and she did need to stop watching over him all the time, but the thought of losing him terrified her so much that this was the only way she could cope. “Well if it means that much to you I’ll speak to Wendy again, but,” Charlie gave a little shrug. “I don’t see how anything she will say will help me.”

“Me either if you go in with that attitude,” Brax exhaled. “You have to believe yourself that she’ll be able to help you get passed this fear.”

Charlie exhaled, hating that Brax was right. “You’ll come with me then, right?”

“Of course,” Brax nodded as he ran his hand through her hair. “You don’t even have to ask.”

“Well we can try,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she lightly rubbed her son’s hand. “I don’t want to feel like this, but...I can’t help it.” Charlie said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“I know,” Brax lightly rubbed her arm. “But you’ll get passed this, I know you will.” Brax smiled down at her before placing another kiss on her head.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 156

Brax looked down to the box that was sitting on the doorstep wondering what it could be. They weren’t expecting a package and it’s not like they wouldn’t need to sign for it anyways. It wouldn’t just have been left at the door. Brax picked the box up and walked into the house, putting it down on the coffee table in the living room. He looked at it more clearly and noticed there was no postmark. Whoever sent this brought it to the house themselves. There was no name for who it was addressed to either. He sighed lightly as he tore the sticky tape from the box and opened it up, seeing a piece of white card saying ‘mummy’. He widened his eyes in shock as he saw dozens of cut up lilies. He picked a handful up and squashed them in his hand. “Oh what’s this dad?” Connor thumped down the last stair before he ran over to Brax as he dropped the flowers back into the box.

“I eh...” Brax was very confused as he looked down to the piece of card in his hand and turned it over and read what it said. Don’t forget about me now mummy. I don’t want to be dead to you, just like these lilies.

“Oh these are the ones that mummy doesn’t like,” Connor shook his head. “Did you forget?”

“I eh...” Brax rubbed the back of his head as he threw the card into the box. He shut the flaps down and pushed the tape down the best he could, some of it still sticking the flaps down again.

“Is it not from you?” Connor questioned. “Daddy, what is it?”

“Look, you just forget you saw this okay? You don’t tell mummy about it, right?” Brax picked the box up and walked through to the kitchen and opened the door to the garage and walked into it.

“But daddy,” Connor sighed as he ran after him. “I don’t like keeping secrets. It’s not nice keeping secrets from people.” Brax sighed as he hid the box away in a cupboard for now, unsure of what to do with it and whether he should alert the police or not. He turned around but stayed crouched to the floor, nearer to Connor’s level.

“Come here,” Brax said and Connor took a few steps closer to him. He put his hands onto Connor’s arms lightly. “This will make your mummy upset. Someone is being very nasty and hurtful and we don’t want mummy getting sad, do we?”

“No I don’t like it when mummy is sad,” Connor shook his head. “It makes me sad too.”

“Yeah and we don’t want that, do we?” Brax questioned and Connor bowed his head down as he shook his head.

“No.” Connor answered sadly.

“Hey, what you two doing in here?” Charlie walked into the garage, a freshly bathed Joseph in her arms, his eyes gazing around the new room for him.

“We were just about to get the pram out the box,” Brax said as he stood up and took a few steps to the side and hit the pram box. “Still set on taking him out for a spin?”

“Sure,” Charlie nodded. “Hmm would you like that Pip? A nice little walk outside?”

“He’ll love it mummy,” Connor ran over to her and stood on his tiptoes and smiled down at his little brother, cooing as he rubbed his cheek. “Will he need a blankie for the pram?” Connor questioned as he glanced at Brax as he set it up before looking back to this mother. “Cos it’s winter and maybe colder out for him?”

“Maybe,” Charlie gave a little nod. “Why don’t you go and pick one out for him, hmm?”

“Yeah,” Connor smiled. “And you did dress him in the new dungarees, look daddy, look,” Connor did a little jump of excitement. “They are the new ones we bought yesterday.” Connor grinned as he saw his brother in the little red dungarees.

“Yeah I see,” Brax smiled as he put the top onto the pram. “He looks super cute today, eh?”

“Yeah.” Connor nodded before he ran off into the house.

Brax picked up the nappy bag and took a few steps closer to Charlie. “We’ll get this all set and then we can head into town then, yes?”

“Sure.” Charlie nodded.

“If I’m in a good mood I might even treat you to some lunch,” Brax said and Charlie gave a little laugh as she followed Brax back into the house. Brax put the bag down onto the couch and turned to face Charlie. “Now Joseph you come and give daddy a big cuddle.” Brax cooed as he took this son into his arms.

“I’m not sure we can do lunch out to be honest,” Charlie said as she put some nappies and a pack of wipes into the bag before picking up a baby grow that was freshly washed from the little pile on the coffee table and putting it into the bag, just in case he needed a change. “He’ll need fed and you know what places and people can be like with breastfeeding in public.”

“Oh,” Brax said. “And you don’t want to do that in public?”

“Hey, it’s just feeding my son, but like I said, it’s other people who dislike it. Maybe we can go out once we’ve got the breast pump and I can express so we have milk to take with us.” Charlie said as she closed the nappy bag shut, just as Connor ran back down the stairs.

Brax gave a little nod as Connor waved the blanket in front of him. “It’s the white and blue checked one. I like that one.”

“It’s a good one, eh buddy?” Brax smiled as Connor handed the blanket to Charlie and she opened the bag back up and folded the blanket up before putting it in the bag. “Right, we ready for Pip’s first outing?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Connor gave a jump of excitement, eager to show his little brother off. “Let’s go.” Connor ran through to house and out the door to the garage as Charlie and Brax followed. Brax placed Joseph down into the pram before Charlie hung the nappy bag over the handles, before pushing the pram out of the garage, and the family made their way away from the house, going to spend some time together at the shops.

“Hey babe what you doing?” Ruby stood behind Romeo and looked to the laptop screen, seeing he was looking at their bank account.

“Trying to work something out.” Romeo sighed as he rubbed his forehead.

“What exactly?” Ruby screwed her face up.

“Okay,” Romeo took a deep breath before turning to face her. “Mink is back for a reason.”

“Well I figured that,” Ruby answered. “What is it?”

“She needs money,” Romeo answered. “And eh....I need to help her.”

“You need to help her?” Ruby questioned. “Babe, you can’t. We don’t even have money for ourselves, let alone her.”

“We have $2000,” Romeo answered. “That’s some of what she needs.”

“That’s our savings,” Ruby raised her voice. “That’s for the wedding and the deposit on a house,” Ruby said. “It’s not for helping your sister out of whatever mess she’s got herself in.”

“I’m sorry,” Romeo exhaled. “But we’ll start saving again once she’s out of our lives.”

“No Romeo,” Ruby yelled. “She is not getting my money.”

“Yeah we’ll it’s not just your money,” Romeo spat as he stood up from the chair. “It’s my money too and if I want to use it for helping my sister then I will. I owe her this okay, I need to do this.”

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “No Romeo, you don’t. She’s a big girl and she can sort her own mess out. She doesn’t need to involve you or us.”

“I owe her this,” Romeo raised his voice. “She went to juvvie for me,” Romeo hit is hand against his chest. “I’ve always wondered how I am going to repay her and this is the way I am going to do that.” Romeo was always very grateful for what Mink did for him and always wondered how he would ever be able to repay her.

“By using the money we’ve saved for our wedding and a house?” Ruby questioned. “It doesn’t matter that we lose our wedding. You know, the dream to be married this year or the money so we can get out of this crappy van. As long as you feel better for repaying Mink back?”

“Yes,” Romeo nodded. “I need to give something back to her. I’ve told her I am going to help her and I will. I don’t need your permission to help my sister and if you don’t like it then that’s your problem.”

Ruby sighed in disbelief at what Romeo was saying. She couldn’t believe he was putting his sister who he hardly knew these days, before her, his fiancée and the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. “You are not giving her a penny of my money,” Ruby said as she walked over to the bed and picked up her bag. “I’m going to work.” Ruby spoke flatly before opening the van door and walking out, slamming it shut hard, letting Romeo know how angry she was with him in that moment.

Thanks Sarah, beebee, Zoe, Spotd1 and RoRo90 for the comments. :)

Chapter 157

Charlie, Brax, Connor and Joseph were in the diner, going to have a drink after shopping. Joseph was out of the pram and in Brax’s arms, looking around the room. “Oh oh you brought the baby,” Colleen squawked as she ran across the diner, stopping in front of Brax. “Well isn’t he just adorable?” Colleen said. “Oh Charlie, really, he’s so precious and tiny.”

“Yeah he was only little,” Connor said as he looked up to Colleen. “But he is my best baby brother Joseph ever.”

Colleen gave Connor a smile before looking to Charlie. “So, how’s mummy. I don’t expect this can be easy for you with little Li -”

“I’m doing okay, thanks, Colleen,” Charlie butted in. “You know, I think little bumps are to be expected but it’s going fine so far.”

Brax exhaled lightly as he saw Charlie glancing at him before looking back to Colleen. “Well you do look awfully tired,” Colleen said. “He not doing well at night? I remember Madge Wilkins telling me that her granddaughter used to sleep all day and was awake all night for the first while. Poor thing was right mixed up.”

“He’s eh, not that bad,” Charlie answered. “He’ll wake a few times, but it’s nothing that bad. For a new-born he’s actually pretty amazing at night.”

“I see,” Colleen gave a nod as she looked to Brax, who was staring at Charlie, Charlie knowing why she was getting that look from him. “Well I hope daddy is pulling his weight.” Colleen said.

“Of course.” Brax nodded.

“Hmmm you look awfully fresh compared to mummy here.” Colleen shook her head.

“Wonder why that is.” Brax muttered.

“Don’t start,” Charlie mouthed before looking back up to Colleen. “So can we just order?”

“Oh you’ll have to get someone else,” Colleen told her. “I just came to see Joseph. I’m off on my break.” Colleen said before she scurried away out of sight.

“Colleen is silly sometimes.” Connor gave a little giggle.

“Oh the baby, the baby, the baby,” Charlie and Brax looked around to see Bianca rushing over to them. “Hey my little Godbaby,” Bianca cooed as she took Joseph into her arms and took a seat next to Brax. “He’s so precious.”

“I helped mummy bath him this morning Bee,” Connor grinned proudly. “He doesn’t like the bath; he cries and cries and cries.”

“Oh poor Joseph,” Bianca lightly rubbed his hand. “But he looks nice and clean. You must have bathed him good.”

“Yeah,” Connor gave a sort of giggle. “Maybe when he is older he will like it eh?”

“Yeah, maybe.” Bianca answered.

“So you haven’t disappeared off the face of this earth,” Charlie smiled at her friend. “Was beginning to get worried about you.”

“I was just letting you get settled,” Bianca answered. “But now you’ll never keep me away from this little cutie,” Bianca cooed down at Joseph. “And how’s Connor liking having a little brother?”

“I love it,” Connor grinned. “He is so cool.”

Charlie smiled as she looked to her son. “He’s been a real good helper, haven’t you?” Charlie questioned. “At bath-time, and he likes to give him kisses and cuddles. He seems to disappear when it’s smelly nappy time though.”

“Yeah,” Connor gave a little giggle. “That’s because it’s really smelly,” Connor pinched his noise. “But the other day he pee’d on daddy,” Connor laughed. “It was so funny Bee-Bee.”

“Aww poor daddy.” Bianca gave a little laugh.

“Yeah,” Connor giggled before jumping down from the chair. “Mummy can you come to the toilet with me?” Connor questioned.

Charlie looked to Joseph in Bianca’s arms before looking up to Brax. She pursed her lips together before looking back down to Joseph before looking to Connor. “Sure, c’mon.” Charlie looked to Joseph once more before she took a deep breath and stood up from the table, taking her son to the toilet.

“So,” Bianca exhaled. “How’s she doing with him?”

“You know she’s....” Brax exhaled. “She’s doing great for the most part,” Brax answered. “She bonding, you can see she loves him so much, she’s been great.” Brax exhaled.

“So, why the face?” Bianca questioned. “Something’s up.”

“She constantly has to be watching him,” Brax told her. “She wants to hold him all the time, she watches him when he’s asleep. She’s so scared he’s going to...well you know....die like Lily did.”

“Well she’s bound to have those worries,” Bianca lightly rocked Joseph in her arms as he made a little noise. “It’ll probably go away over time. You know she’ll see he’s going to be fine.”

“I hope so,” Brax sighed. “But I’d like her to talk to Wendy again. She might be able to help her.”

“Hmm,” Bianca gave a little nod. “You think she will talk to her though?”

“She said she would,” Brax nodded. “So we’ll just have to see eh.”

“Yeah,” Bianca gave him a smile. “So, daddy eh? When did Connor start that?”

“A few days ago,” Brax gave one of the biggest smiles Bianca had seen from him. “It’s just amazing.”

“Aww you’re such a sweet little family,” Bianca smiled before noticing Brax was staring at someone at the counter who was looking down at Joseph. Most likely she’d just be someone cooing over the new baby, but he had a feeling there was something more there. “Brax?” Bianca spoke a little louder.

“Sorry,” Brax looked back to Bianca. “What were you saying?”

“Daddy mummy said we can watch Madagascar when we get home, can we?” Connor questioned as he ran back over to the table.

“Sure,” Brax gave a smile. “Hey babe do you know who that woman is at the counter?” Brax questioned.

Charlie turned her head to the counter and screwed her face up. “Yeah, that’s Irene.” Charlie looked puzzled as she looked back to Brax. “You alright?”

“Yeah,” Brax looked back up to see the woman he was on about was now gone. “Never mind.” Brax ran his hand over his forehead and exhaled as he had a feeling that this woman may have had something to do with package that arrived that morning.

Ruby walked back into the van after her shift. Romeo was sitting at the small table, eating his dinner. Ruby looked up to the small worktop but noticed there wasn’t anything let for her. “Take it I’ve to make my own dinner tonight?” Ruby questioned as she threw her bag to the floor.

“Didn’t know you’d be home for dinner.” Romeo replied as he took a mouthful of food.

“Well you could have given me a text or came into the diner and asked.” Ruby sighed as she sat down on the end on the bed.

“Well sorry.” Romeo took a drink of his juice.

“So,” Ruby exhaled. “Where’s your lovely sister?”

Romeo gave a little shrug. “Dunno. She must just be out somewhere.”

“Right,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “So eh....have you seen sense yet?” Ruby questioned.

Romeo sniggered a little. “Think you should be asking yourself that,” Romeo said. “What if it was Connor or Joseph?” Romeo questioned. “If they came to you and needed help. You’d help them, right?”

Ruby pursed her lips together and gave a little nod. “Yeah, I’d want to help them but I wouldn’t let it cause this with my fiancée,” Ruby sighed. “Babe, right now, we don’t have the money to go dishing it out to people.”

“People or Mink?” Romeo questioned. “Because let’s face it Rubes, you’ve not exactly made an effort to get to know her have you?”

“And she has with me?” Ruby questioned. “She’s rude and she’s -” Ruby stopped talking as the door opened Mink walked into the van.

“What up, peeps,” Mink cheered as she shook sand from her clothes over the floor. She looked from Romeo to Ruby then back to Romeo and felt like she was interrupting something. “Have I just walked in on her moaning at you again?”

“Could say.” Romeo muttered as he stood up from the table, putting his plate and cutlery into the sink and running some water over them.

“Eeek would suck to be you right now bro,” Mink exhaled. “So, anyways, this money, I’m getting it, yes?” Mink questioned.

“Yeah yeah,” Romeo gave a nod. “I said I’d get you it, so I will,” Romeo gave his sister a smile. “I’m off to work. See ya later.” Romeo said before he walked out of the van.

Mink grinned as she looked around to Ruby. “Looks like it’s just me and you.....sis,” Mink gave a little laugh. “Let’s put our pyjamas on and do each other’s hair.” Mink waved her hands about before laughing. Ruby stood up from the bed and walked out of the van, slamming the door shut before running in the direction of her mother’s house.

Thanks for the comments. :wub: This is the last one till I get back from my holiday.

Chapter 158

Charlie answered the door and smiled as she saw Ruby standing at the other side. “Rubes, hey, you alright?” Charlie questioned, sounding concerned as she saw the look on her face.

“Me, I’m fine,” Ruby sighed as she walked in to the house, smiling down at Joseph who was in Charlie’s arms. “How’s my ickle brother?” Ruby cooed as she rubbed his little hand.

“He’s....stinky,” Charlie said as she brought her son closer up to her and sniffed. “Connor you want to grab mummy a clean nappy?”

“No,” Connor sighed as he put a piece of lego on top of another piece. “I’m building.”

“I’ll change him,” Brax stood up from the couch and walked over to Charlie, taking Joseph in his arms. “C’mon Connor you come help me. Leave Rubes and mummy to talk.” Brax could see something was bothering Ruby and felt he should give them time alone.

Connor muttered a little something as he stood up, taking the half built house he was building with him as he followed Brax up the stairs. “You sure everything is okay?” Charlie watched as Brax disappeared out of sight with Joseph before taking a deep breath and looking back towards her daughter.

“It’s Mink,” Ruby sighed as she sat down on the couch with Charlie taking seat next to her. “She needs money and....Romeo is going to give her it.”

“Oh,” Charlie pulled the cushion from the couch and put it over her knee, pulling at the corner. “I didn’t think you two had that much money right now.”

“We don’t,” Ruby answered. “Eh...we get our pay and buy food for the week then pay the vans rent then any money left goes to the wedding slash deposit for a house fund.”

“But he wants to give what little money you do have to Mink?” Charlie questioned and Ruby gave a little nod. Charlie clicked her tongue. “And I guess you don’t feel too pleased about that?”

Ruby sniggered. “Nope. I love that he wants to help her but it’s not really ideal timing.”

“Have you talked to him about your thoughts?” Charlie asked.

“We’ll I wouldn’t say we talked about it,” Ruby sighed. “More like raised voices, some yelling,” Ruby bit her lip. “I hate arguing with him.”

“Yeah I bet,” Charlie exhaled. “But Romeo has no right to go behind your back and give her the money,” Charlie said. “You need to sit down together and calmly discuss this.”

“Discuss this?” Ruby questioned. “So you want me to give my money to Mink? What about -”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “If she needs help well yeah I’m sorry for her, but she needs to see that right now you and Romeo just don’t have the cash to help her out.”

“Think we’ll have trouble getting Romeo to see we don’t have the cash, never mind Mink,” Ruby sighed. “All we’ve done since Mink’s got here has been argue,” Ruby looked really upset as Charlie looked at her daughter. She put her hand onto Ruby’s arm and rubbed it gently as they both looked up towards the stairs, as they heard Brax give a loud, strange sort of sound, like he was annoyed. “What was that?” Ruby questioned.

Charlie worriedly stood up from the couch but stood still when she heard Connor’s laughter. “Mummy mummy,” Connor continued to giggle hysterically as he ran down the stairs. “Joseph pee’d on daddy again,” Connor ran over to Charlie as he laughed. “He’s funny.”

“Ah,” Charlie breathed a sigh of relief. “As long as it’s always on daddy.” Charlie gave a little laugh as she sat back down on the couch and Connor ran over to her and sat down on her knee, Charlie wrapping her arms around him softly.

“Can you play lego’s with me mummy?” Connor questioned.

“Eh, sure,” Charlie placed a soft kiss on her sons head before looking back to Ruby. “You had any dinner?” Ruby shook her head lightly. “Okay, I’ll make something for Ruby to eat then we can play, yeah?”

“Okay,” Connor said as he jumped down from her knee and went back across to the lego. “Oh Ruby will you come see me play my soccer game tomorrow?”

“Sure I can.” Ruby smiled down at her little brother as she stood up from the couch. “I’d love to buddy.”

“And will Romeo come?” Connor questioned.

“Eh, I think he’s working, but I’ll be there, yeah?” Ruby said and Connor gave a little nod as he got back to working on his house. Ruby exhaled before she followed her mother through to the kitchen. “So I was going to ask you if I could stay here for the night.” Ruby spoke quietly.

Charlie turned to face her daughter. “Rubes,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “You should go talk with Romeo.”

“Well he’s working so won’t be home till late and I’m not sitting in that van with his sister. And it’ll only be for 1 night. I promise. You know I just want him to see I am mad with him and.....one night, Charlie, please.” Ruby clasped her hands together like she was praying.

“Well,” Charlie scratched the back of her head. “There’s not actually anywhere you can sleep.”

“The couch is there,” Ruby said as she pointed back into the living room. “Please, Charlie, and if you don’t let me stay here I’ll just go to April’s, so....you know whatever way I’m not going to go home tonight.”

“Okay,” Charlie held her hands out to the side. “But tomorrow I want you to go talk with him and sort this before it gets out of hand, alright?”

“Sure.” Ruby rolled her eyes as she walked over to the fridge and pulled out the apple juice and poured herself a glass as Brax walked into the room with a freshly changed Joseph in his arms.

“I just dressed him for bed when I was up there with him.” Brax said as Charlie looked down to him to see he was now in a little yellow and white stripy sleep suit.

“Ahh did daddy get you all ready for bed,” Charlie cooed as she walked over to him and took him into her arms, placing a soft kiss on his temple. “Connor tells me you also gave daddy a shower,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “You silly boy.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “Why is it always me?”

“I don’t know but I hope you keep things that way baby,” Charlie cooed down at her son. “No peeing on mummy sounds like the best plan ever....yeah.” Charlie ran her index finger gently over his cheek as she made a little noise.

“Why don’t you go and play with Connor and I’ll make my dinner,” Ruby told her. “Or Brax here will make me it.” Ruby looked to Brax and gave him a little grin.

“Sure I can,” Brax smiled. “Go on.” Charlie gave him a smile before she left the room to play legos with her son.

“So, Rubes, you alright?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine,” Ruby answered. “Just had a fight with Romeo and....well I need to cool off.”

Brax gave her a little smile before they heard a crashing sound from the back door. They both gave each other a look before Brax looked into the living room to see Charlie with Connor, seemingly not hearing the crash. He turned back around as Ruby had already made her way to the back door. “Wait.” Brax ran over to her, pushing her back slightly as he stepped in front of her. He put his hand on the door handle and walked out into the back garden and took a few steps outside. It was starting to get dark, so vision wasn’t the best, but he could see in the distance a figure running away from the house. He rubbed the back of his head as he saw the bin had been knocked to the ground. He exhaled as he put it back in its place as Ruby walked out and picked up a photo frame. She screwed her face up as she saw a picture of Charlie with Lily.

“Where did this come from?” Ruby questioned as she ran her hand over the broken glass of the frame. “Surely Charlie wouldn’t throw this out? Yeah maybe the frame if she broke it but the picture?” Ruby screwed her face up as she looked up to Brax.

“Well I’ve never seen that picture or the photo frame before,” Brax replied. “I eh...” Brax rubbed his forehead. “Maybe it’s the same person who sent the flowers.” Brax muttered.

“Who, what?” Ruby questioned. “What about the flowers?”

Brax pursed his lips together before taking the picture from Ruby’s hand. “Come with me.” Brax said as they walked back into the house and went over to the door that lead to the garage. Ruby felt utter confusion as she followed Brax down into the garage, wondering what it was that he was going to show her.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. I’m not so pleased with this one. :( Need to get back into writing after over two weeks off :lol:. Hope it’s not too bad...

Chapter 159

Ruby was standing in the garage, looking down at the box of cut up lilies as she held the note in her hand. “I don’t understand,” Ruby spoke quietly. “Who....who would do this. It’s sick.”

“Beats me,” Brax shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know what to do with it, Ruby,” Brax leaned his arm against a shelf as he rubbed his forehead with his other hand. “Telling her is only going to be a bad thing, right?”

“What if something else happens?” Ruby questioned. “It might come directly to her. You might not be there to stop her seeing it.”

“I eh....” Brax shook his head a little. “I’m here for another week anyways. You know I’m not back at work till then and....” Brax pursed his lips together. “I don’t know Ruby, but, this is only going to hurt her. Worry her....she doesn’t need that. She’s got worries as it is with Pip and I don’t want her getting herself worked up into even more of a state.”

“I know,” Ruby gave him a weak smile. “But not telling her might back fire on you. If something did happen or....does Connor know about these?”

Brax gave a little nod. “He was here when I opened the package,” Brax answered. “I explained that mummy doesn’t need to know and he seems like he won’t say anything but you know Connor, he doesn’t like keeping secrets. Especially secrets from Charlie.”

“True,” Ruby pursed her lips together. “Well I won’t say anything right now, but you should maybe think about telling her, but I guess it really is up to you.”

“I just don’t want her hurt,” Brax exhaled as he folded the box shut and hid it back in its place in the shelf. “Hopefully this stops soon, whoever it is, maybe she’ll realise what she is doing is wrong.”

“Let’s not hold our breath hey,” Ruby patted Brax’s arm. “Let’s get back in the house; Charlie will probably wonder what we are doing.”

“Yeah, sure,” Brax looked slightly panicked. He was worried that someone was out to really hurt Charlie, or maybe even Joseph. “Still need to get you some dinner eh.” Brax stepped forward and walked out of the garage with Ruby, hoping greatly that the broken photo frame and the box of cup up lilies were going to the last of the horrible messages that would be sent for Charlie.

Charlie stirred in the bed. “No, Joseph.” Charlie woke in a panic before she ran over to the moses basket, seeing her baby sleeping soundly. “Aww baby.” Charlie exhaled as she picked him up into her arms, rubbing his back softly. She looked over the room to the bed as the side light went on and Brax looked over to her, his eyes squinting slightly as the light hit his eyes. He saw the look of worry plastered across Charlie’s face and got out of the bed.

“Everything alright?” Brax questioned as she walked over to her.

“Mmm, he’s perfect,” Charlie answered. “I eh....I had a dream. He eh....I woke up to feed him but he wasn’t in the moses basket. He wasn’t there Brax, he was gone.” Charlie held Joseph close to herself, welcoming the comforting feeling of him breathing against her.

“It was just another bad dream,” Brax took a step closer to Charlie and rubbed her arm gently. “He looks like he is there to me.”

“Yeah,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “What if these are signs, Brax?” Charlie questioned. “Dreaming he was dead, now dreaming he was gone....what if....what if they mean -”

“They don’t mean anything,” Brax shook his lightly. “It’s in your head that something bad is going to happen so that will be why you are having the dreams. It’ll be on your mind,” Brax exhaled lightly as he rubbed Charlie’s cheek. “But on Monday we have that meeting with Wendy and I’m sure she’ll be able to at least lessen your fears a little.”

“You think?” Charlie questioned as she kept her eyes on her baby. “I don’t think they’re ever going to go away.”

“And with that attitude they won’t,” Brax told her. “You’ve got to believe it yourself of it never will.” Brax didn’t want to make out that it was Charlie herself to blame, but knew if she didn’t believe herself that she would be able to get over her fear of losing Joseph, she never would.

“I know,” Charlie exhaled. “It’s hard though. I hate not being able to sleep well. He needs me to be well rested and so does Connor and I just....I feel like I let Lily down because I wasn’t there to help her and I don’t want to let him down too.” Charlie felt herself welling up.

“Charlie you’ve been nothing but amazing with Joseph,” Brax told her as he rubbed her arm. “You’ve not and never will let him down and you didn’t let Lily down either. It was just a terrible thing that happened to you.” Charlie looked down at her son as she smiled. His little bottom lip moving ever so slightly as he slept. Charlie remembered this was something Lily did when she was sleeping too, but thankfully so far, it was the only thing that Joseph did that reminded her of her little Lily. He looked so much like Brax and had Charlie’s eyes and dark hair. Although Lily had blue eyes, her hair was much lighter. She lightly rubbed Joseph’s forehead before putting him back down in his moses basket, leaving him to sleep in peace. She continued to stare down at him as Brax stayed close to her, rubbing her back comfortingly. “You coming back to bed?”

“He’ll wake for his feed in 10 minutes anyways,” Charlie answered. “So I may as well stay up but you can go if you want.”

“How about I sit with you till his feed then?” Brax sat down on the rocking chair and pulled Charlie down onto his knee. “So, Connor is stoked for the soccer game tomorrow.” Brax said.

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled. “Because he gets to be the captain for the day,” Charlie told him. “Said he’ll get the boys told that they need to win.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “Aww I can’t imagine Connor being like that. He’s far from shy but he’s not the bullying type.”

“Nope,” Charlie answered. “Did he seem alright to you today?” Charlie asked. “He got pretty quiet as the day went on.”

“Maybe he was just getting tired.” Brax answered. He of course knew that he was probably quiet because of the flowers, but of course wasn’t about to let Charlie know that.

“Hmm,” Charlie pursed her lips together. She knew her son and knew something was bothering him. “I’m not so sure.”

“Well if there is anything I’m sure he’ll bring it to you,” Brax said. “He’s not one for holding things in, is he?”

“No I guess not,” Charlie answered before turning her head so she was looking up to Brax and giving him a smile as she cupped his cheek with her hand. “You’re so great.”

“Why thank you,” Brax gave her a cheeky grin before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her lips. “So how about tomorrow after soccer we take our little Pip up to the grave to see his big sister?” Brax tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear, knowing bringing up the subject of visiting Lily’s grave was a risky one. Normally he would just wait for Charlie to ask him, but he thought it might be good for Charlie to be able to feel comfortable taking Joseph with her to Lily’s grave, talking to him about his sister and to Lily about her little brother.

“Ehm, yeah,” Charlie gave a little smile. “That’ll be nice.”

“Good,” Brax smiled as he looked to the moses basket and heard his son stirring. “Think someone is expecting service a little earlier tonight,” Brax said and Charlie gave a little laugh as she stood up and picked up her son. “Well I’ll let you two have mummy and Joseph time hmm.” Brax lightly rubbed Charlie’s arm before bending down and placing a soft kiss on Joseph’s cheek before going back to his bed, letting Charlie feed Joseph in peace.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 160

Charlie, Brax, Ruby, Morag and of course baby Joseph were at the park watching Connor’s soccer match. “So are you going to go and talk to Romeo today?” Charlie questioned as she looked to her daughter who had just cancelled a call from him on her mobile.

“Urgh,” Ruby screwed her face up. “Not if I can help it.”

“You know ignoring him isn’t the way to go?” Brax told her. “You should talk with him.”

“Right now I don’t want to look at him let alone talk to him,” Ruby sighed. “And as long as his sister is around it’s going to stay that way.”

“Rubes,” Charlie put her hand onto her daughters arm and rubbed it gently. “At least let him know where you are, yeah?”

“I’m sure he’ll figure it out,” Ruby sighed before looking back to the soccer match, seeing Connor had the ball and was making his way to the goal. “Go on Connor,” Ruby clapped her hands together before giving a little sigh of disappointment as Connor kicked the ball to the side of the goal. “Unlucky bud.” Everyone cheered Connor on as he stood with a little sulk on his face before running back down the field to try to get the ball back.

Charlie exhaled lightly as she shook the pram slightly, as Joseph stirred a little, but the slight rocking motion calmed him immediately back into his sleep. “Rubes if you ignore him then you are going to make it worse,” Charlie said. “Consider even letting him know you’re staying with us for now and that you will talk soon.”

“If I say I will, will you shut up about it?” Ruby sighed.

“It’s all we ask,” Morag told her. “You know you shouldn’t let his sister come between you. You love each other so much.”

“Yeah but if he gives away our money, not just his, but our money then that’s not cool. It is going to come between us, isn’t it?” Ruby exhaled. “It’s not just his money to give away.”

“So then talk to him about it.” Morag replied.

“I have,” Ruby raised her voice. “He says he is going to help his sister. Apparently what his fiancée thinks doesn’t matter in the slightest,” Ruby once again turned her attention back to the soccer match, not really wanting to talk about her and Romeo right now. “C’mon boys,” Ruby cheered the team on as the once again made for goal. “Yes, woo.” Ruby cheered as a little dark haired boy scored a goal for Connor’s team.

Brax clapped before looking out to the distance, behind the boys playing soccer to the trees at the back of the park. He screwed his face up a little as he saw a woman standing watching them, or more in particular, Charlie and Joseph. He had seen this woman before, he was sure of it, but question was, where? He couldn’t remember for the life of him where it was that he’d seen her. He looked to Ruby and made a quiet hissing noise to get her attention. He guested for her to look at the trees and Ruby did but screwed her face up, not seeing anything. Brax exhaled lightly thinking the woman must have ran off when he was trying to get Ruby’s attention. “Everything alright?” Charlie questioned as she saw the look on her fiancés face.

“Huh?” Brax heard her talking but didn’t hear what she said.

“I said are you alright?” Charlie questioned.

“Oh yeah fine,” Brax looked back to the soccer match as Charlie curled her nose up, unsure. “C’mon Connor bud.” Brax clapped his hands as they continued to cheer him on during his soccer game.

Charlie, Connor, Brax and baby Joseph went to the graveyard after Connor’s soccer match, Connor on a bit of a high as his team won 3-2 and he had scored the winning goal. Charlie stopped just before the grave and started to shake her head as she saw that it had been vandalised. “No,” Charlie immediately got tears in her eyes as she ran forward, moving the broken flowers away from the front of the grave, before running her hand over the spray paint. Mummy has a new baby now was sprayed over the headstone. Brax looked speechless at the headstone. Although he hated that this woman had sent the flowers and left the photo frame for Charlie to find, this was a step too far. Vandalising the grave of a 3 month old baby was just sick. How could anyone be so cruel? “Brax,” Charlie turned up to look at him and he stepped forward and took her in his arms. “Who would be so heartless? She’s still my baby, Brax.” Charlie held onto Brax as she cried.

“I don’t know sweetheart,” Brax bit his lip. Although he knew she would stress out and worry, he thought that now that this had happened, there was no way he could keep the other things a secret. He would have to tell her and of course, the police. “It’s probably just someone playing a cruel joke.”

“This isn’t funny.” Charlie cried.

“What’s wrong?” Connor stepped away from the side of the pram and ran towards the grave. “Who wrote on the grave?”

“Some horrible horrible person,” Brax told Connor as he held a crying Charlie in his arms. “Someone trying to hurt mummy.”

“So the flower person?” Connor questioned before slapping both his hands over his mouth, knowing that he had said something that he shouldn’t.

“The flower person?” Charlie pulled back from Brax’s embrace and looked him in the eyes questioningly.

Brax sighed as he rubbed her back lightly. “I didn’t want to tell you,” Brax spoke quietly. “I didn’t want you getting hurt and....I’m sorry. I thought I was protecting you by keeping it from you.”

“What flowers?” Charlie raised her voice, eager to know what her son was talking about.

“Yesterday a package arrived,” Brax told her. “It was dozens of cut up lilies with a note.” Brax pursed his lips together, waiting for some kind of reaction from Charlie but she just stood and stared at him blankly.

“What did.....the note,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she wiped a tear from her eye. “What did it say?”

“Eh....” Brax scratched the back of his head trying to remember. “Don’t forget about me now. I don’t want to be dead to you just like these flowers are. Or something to that effect,” Brax cleared his throat. “I’m sorry.” Brax kept a hold of Charlie as he continued to rub her back.

“You should have told me right away,” Charlie hit at his chest in anger. “Who would do this to me?” Charlie cried. “My baby. My little Lily, look at her headstone.” Charlie fell down to the ground as tears fell from her eyes. Brax looked down to the little teddy shaped headstone, now sprayed in red spray paint, the normally nice arrangement of flowers sitting at the front all broken and scattered everywhere. The two teddies that were left for her, one at Christmas and one on her second birthday, had red spray paint over them and had been moved from their original places. “What sort of heartless person could do this?”

“I don’t know,” Brax shook his head. “But we’ll find out. I promise you that.” Brax looked to Connor who was standing staring at his mother, wondering if he should comfort her or leave her. Brax gestured his head a little to the side and Connor stepped forward and sat next to his mother, gently rubbing her arm with his hand.

“Oh sweetheart.” Charlie spoke through tears as she wrapped her arms around her son, hugging him close to her.

“It’s a mean old bad person mummy,” Connor said. “The police will get them and throw them in the jail forever and ever and ever.”

Brax smiled lightly at Connor’s words. “You’re so right buddy,” Brax bent down to their level and wrapped his arms around them. “We’ll find them and they’ll pay. I’ll make sure of that.”

Archived