Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Thank everyone. Just a little one before I move it on in time in the next chapter.

Chapter 101

“Mummy.” Connor grinned as he jumped into a hug. Happy to see her home for her night away.

“Hey bud, how was your day yesterday?” Charlie questioned as she put him back down on the floor.

“Good,” Connor smiled. “We baked Darryl some birthday cookies and went to the swings and Ruby showed me how to swing properly on a big swing and then we went to the shops and then watched Madagascar and ate some of the cookies.”

“Well you have a good day then,” Charlie smiled as she ruffled her son’s hair. “How are you doing?” Charlie questioned as she looked up to Ruby.

“Good,” Ruby smiled. “How was your night away?”

“It rained the whole time,” Charlie exhaled. “So, it was as good as we could make it.”

“Darryl I got you something for your birthday,” Connor said as he ran through to the kitchen, Charlie hearing a few cupboards banging before he ran back through. “This is a cookie that we made,” Connor smiled as he handed Brax the cookie. “And a bag of haribo for you too,” Connor grinned, knowing Brax would share as these were his favourites. Charlie laughed lightly at her son. “And I drew this card too.” Connor handed Brax the card and he smiled as he saw a picture of a soccer ball and two people he assumed were him and Connor. He opened it up and read To Darryl, Happy Birthday, love from Connor. xxooxx.

“Aww thanks bud, I love it.” Brax smiled as he ruffled Connor’s hair.

“Really?” Connor sounded pleased.

“A cookie, haribo and a homemade card?” Brax questioned. “Of course, buddy, it’s the best present I’ve got.” Brax and Charlie exchanged small smiles.

“Wow,” Connor gave a little jump. “But will you share the haribo?”

“Brax laughed lightly knowing that was coming. “Sure, I will.” Brax opened the bag before picking one out and putting it in his mouth and handing the bag to Charlie. She took a sweet out, before he offered one to Ruby.

“Thanks.” Ruby smiled.

“No problem. Is Morag about?” Brax asked.

“She’s over at Roo’s at the moment.” Ruby said as she chewed the sweetie.

“Right that’s everyone then.” Brax said as he looked to Charlie who bit her lip, trying not to laugh as Connor looked saddened that he’d been left out.

“Darryl,” Connor huffed. “What about me?”

“Oh I didn’t think you like haribo mate, sorry,” Brax teased.

“Darryl,” Connor shook his head. “Oh dear, you should know there are my favourites.”

“Of course I do,” Brax laughed. “I’m just messing with you mate. Here you go.” Brax said as he gave him the bag. “Help yourself mate.” Connors eyes lit up as he ran over to the couch with the bag of haribo.

“Don’t eat to many Connor,” Charlie said. “We’re going to go out for dinner tonight.”

“Where too?” Connor asked as he stuffed a few sweets into his mouth.

“Angelo’s,” Brax answered. “You want to come Rubes?”

“If it’s alright with you, yeah.” Ruby nodded. Romeo would be working there tonight and she thought it would be a good chance to talk to him again since they hadn’t spoken since she’d asked him to leave a few days beforehand.

“Of course,” Brax answered. “We’re going to be asking Morag too so it will be like a big family outing.” Brax smiled.

Ruby took a deep breath as someone from her family wouldn’t be with her. “Not quite.” Ruby shook her head before she ran off up the stairs.

“Did I say something I shouldn’t have?” Brax rubbed the back of his head, unsure.

“She saw Aimee yesterday but we didn’t see her,” Connor poked his head up from behind the couch. “Tony and RacheI I mean, with the baby in the pram, but Ruby said she wasn’t our baby to see and that we should leave.”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked in the direction of the stairs. “I’ll go talk to her,” Charlie said and Brax nodded lightly as Charlie walked off up the stairs. She took a deep breath before walking into her daughter’s room, finding her sitting on the edge of the bed, looking down at a crumpled picture of her 8 week scan, the only one that Ruby had kept, giving the rest to Rachel and Tony. “You alright?” Charlie questioned as she sat down next to her.

“This is the only picture I have of her,” Ruby answered. “You can’t really even tell much that it’s her. That it’s a baby really. Looks more alien like.” Ruby sniffed back.

“You know you could see her,” Charlie answered. “You must have so many thoughts of what she must look like in your mind,” Charlie said as she wrapped her arm around her daughter. “She’s lovely and if you wanted to see her, Tony and Rachel wouldn’t mind. And I can come with you, if it’ll be easier.”

“I think.....I think seeing her will only be harder,” Ruby exhaled. “She’ll be going to Boston soon then I’ll never get to see her again.”

“You can always ask for pictures and updates on how she is doing,” Charlie answered. “Maybe that will be better than nothing. They could send out recordings of her so you can see her on the TV, they will do this however you want Ruby. Maybe even one day you could go visit her in Boston.”

“You really think they’d want me out there?” Ruby looked to Charlie usure.

“If it’s what you want I am sure Tony and Rachel will accommodate it.” Charlie said as she rubbed her daughters arm.

“If I think about it and decide I want to see her before she goes....can you....will you come with me?” Ruby questioned shyly as she looked up to her mother.

“Of course.” Charlie nodded.

“Then I’ll think about it,” Ruby answered. “So what time is dinner?”

“7.” Charlie answered.

“Right well I am going to go freshen up,” Ruby said as she put the scan back into the drawer before closing it. “And eh....thanks, Charlie.” Ruby smiled before pulling her into a hug, as she thought about the situation with her daughter and if she should ask for more contact before they left and for pictures once she had.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone for the comments.

Chapter 102

Charlie wiped her hand across her mouth as she swallowed, hoping that was her bout of sickness over for today. She took a deep breath as she stood up from kneeling on the bathroom floor and flushed the toilet. “How far along are you?” Charlie was surprised to hear the voice. She turned around to see Ruby had appeared in the bathroom. Charlie pulled a face, still not ready to tell people, but it was no good denying it, Ruby somehow knew. “This is the 3rd morning in a row you’ve been sick and I heard you and Brax arguing about the baby the other day. You’re clearly not arguing about Aimee because she lives with her parents so....” Ruby trialled off. It had been a tough time since Ruby had the baby 6 weeks earlier, but she kept to her word and let Rachel and Tony keep the baby, and now she was 6 weeks old, Tony and Rachel were able to leave the country with her, Ruby no longer having the right to change her mind. She’d never been to see the baby either; Ruby deciding it would be easier this way.

“I didn’t plan this,” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t want this. But it’s happened and.....I’m sorry Ruby.”

“Why are you apologising to me?” Ruby questioned.

“I don’t know....because you’re going to need to see me being pregnant so soon after Aimee and I....it will probably be hard.” Charlie answered quietly.

“Charlie,” Ruby shook her head. “I’m fine. Aimee is all set to go to Boston with her parents and....yeah, I’ll miss her, although it sounds strange to say that because I’ve not actually had anything to do with her, but I know she is getting a great life and I did the right thing. I’m not ready to be a mother and Rachel was like a mother already but with no child to look after,” Ruby said. “And you’re a great parent and I know Brax will be too. I’m happy for you.” Ruby smiled at Charlie.

“I wish I could be,” Charlie exhaled. “I didn’t want.....I told myself I couldn’t have any more kids after Lily.”

“It obviously happened for a reason,” Ruby stepped forward and lightly rubbed Charlie’s arm. “Does Brax know how you’re really feel?”

“Kind of,” Charlie answered. “I opened up to him a little but I tend to change the subject when he brings the baby up. I guess I feel not talking about it is the best way to go about it.”

“You know it’s not, right?” Ruby answered. “It’s like the worst possible thing you can do?”

“Maybe so,” Charlie answered. “But right now it’s easier than talking about it....I eh....I have these dreams if I’ve talked about the baby...that night I...I always relive the night I found Lily in my dreams, but if I haven’t talked about the baby then I don’t have the dream. I want the dreams to stop. It was so hard having to live it once, let alone seeing it in my dream so I....I need to stop talking about the baby,” Ruby could see Charlie was trying hard not to cry. “We’re supposed to have an 8 week scan today but I don’t want to go.”

“Is that what you are Brax were arguing about?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “We were told that it wasn’t a necessary scan but Brax wants to go to make sure things are going okay.”

“Maybe once you’ve seen the baby it will be better,” Ruby suggested. “You know, it might help you feel more connected.”

Charlie shook her head as she lightly rubbed her stomach. “It’s going to make me worse. I know it is because I am going to compare the pregnancy to Lily. You know, think about the last time I was pregnant.”

“Look, I see it must be hard, but just think that at the end of this you are going to have a brand new son or daughter to love and be loved by.” Ruby smiled encouragingly as she rubbed Charlie’s arm, hoping to get her to start to feel excited.

“Yeah, maybe,” Charlie murmured. “I eh...I need to go meet Brax,” Charlie said as she looked down to her watch. “Are you okay to watch Connor? Just he doesn’t know about the baby yet and -”

“Yeah it’s fine,” Ruby answered. “Go on.”

“Thanks.” Charlie smiled at her daughter before leaving the room, and going to leave the house to meet Brax at the hospital.

Charlie lay down on the bed in the hospital as Brax sat down on the chair next to her head, taking her hand into his. “So, how’s mum been feeling? Have you been getting much morning sickness?”

“Yeah, every morning for about 2 weeks now I’ve vomited and usually around 5, 6 O’clock, I’ll feel very sick or be sick too.” Charlie answered.

“Well while it is bad for you, it is a sign of a healthy pregnancy,” The technician smiled. “Is this your first pregnancy?”

“It’s my first,” Brax answered with a smile. “I can’t wait to see the baby.”

“Well it’s my forth pregnancy and like I’ve told you before you won’t see anything today anyways so there is not much point in being here,” Charlie said rather coldly as she looked at Brax. “All you’ll see is a little blob at most.”

“Maybe, but it will still be nice to see whatever it is we are going to see and to know that everything is going to plan,” Brax answered. He knew Charlie couldn’t help her attitude but hoped he didn’t need to put up with it for the whole pregnancy. “So will we hear the heartbeat today?” Brax questioned as he looked to the technician with a smile.

“No, it’s a bit too early for that I’m afraid,” The technician answered. “You may see a fluttering though and that will be the heartbeat.”

“So I’ll see it but not here it?” Brax questioned. “That’s a bit weird.” Brax gave a little laugh.

“It is,” The technician smiled as she got everything ready. “Well if you are ready to start we can.”

“Yeah sure, let’s get this over with.” Charlie exhaled. The technician looked up to Brax and they exchanged a glance before she began the scan.

Charlie took a deep breath before she knocked on the door. She’d pretty much avoided Rachel for the last 6 weeks, mostly for Ruby’s benefit, but they were leaving for Boston tomorrow and Charlie desperately wanted to see her granddaughter and to say goodbye. “Charlie,” Rachel sounded surprised to see her as she looked into the room to the moses basket where Aimee lay. “What can I do for you?”

“I eh...I wanted to give you this, for Aimee.” Charlie handed Rachel the little stuffed flower, Rachel looked down to the green stem and leaf and yellow petals with a smiling face on it.

“It’s lovely, thank you.” Rachel smiled at her friend.

“Rach who’s at the door?” Tony questioned as he walked up behind her. “Charlie, come in.” Tony said as he pulled the door open further. “What can we do for you?”

“I eh....Aimee, I...I just wanted to come say goodbye.” Charlie said, trying to keep herself together but the thought about never being able to see her grandchild was getting to her.

“Of course,” Tony nodded. “You can hold her if you want.”

Rachel looked slightly alarmed by Tony’s offer. “Don’t feel like you need too,” Rachel said. “He just said if you’d like.” Of course she didn’t mean to sound like she didn’t want Charlie around the baby, but she was just so worried that Charlie was going to end up telling them Ruby changed her mind. She knew the 6 weeks were up and that couldn’t happen anymore, but she felt uncomfortable being in the Bay with Aimee along with Ruby and Charlie and was glad that they’d made the choice to leave as she knew staying would end up hard on them all.

“I want too,” Charlie answered. “I’d like too, but if it’s going to bother you, I won’t.” Charlie answered.

Rachel looked to Tony and saw that he nodded lightly, as if telling her it would be okay. “Yeah, it’s fine.” Rachel managed a weak smile.

Charlie bent down over the moses basket and lifted Aimee into her arms, smiling at her. She reminded her so much of a young Ruby. The same eyes, the same mass of brown hair, the cute little button nose. “Hey baby,” Charlie exhaled as she took a seat on the couch. “I’m grandma Charlie, I’m sorry I am not going to get to be a grandma to you, but I want you to know that I love you so much and so does your mummy. She does, that’s why she gave you to Tony and Rachel and I know they are going to be terrific parents to you and give you all that you want,” Charlie said softly as she looked up to Tony and Rachel. “Right?” Charlie questioned.

“Of course,” Tony nodded. “She’ll want for nothing.”

“And promise me that you’ll remind her she is Australian and don’t let her turn into one of those bratty little American kids?” Charlie said and Tony laughed lightly.

“We promise, Charlie,” Rachel smiled as she kept a hold of the flower toy. “We’ll tell her all about Australia and we’ll come back for holidays and such.”

Charlie smiled lightly as she looked back down to Aimee. “She is so gorgeous.”

“That’s all thanks to Ruby,” Tony smiled. “We’ll always remember where she came from. She looks so much like Ruby.”

“I eh....I should probably go,” Charlie said as she stood up and walked over to Tony and handed him Aimee. “Ruby doesn’t know I am here and I should get back to Connor.”

“Right, well thanks for coming.” Tony smiled.

“Enjoy Boston.” Before Charlie knew what she was doing she felt herself putting her arms around Rachel in a hug.

“We will.” Rachel smiled as they pulled back from the hug.

“Here,” Tony said as he picked up a double photo frame from the shelf and handed it to Charlie. “Have these. You can keep one for yourself and if she wants one, you can give one to Ruby.”

“Oh....eh.....thank you,” Charlie smiled as she took the photos of Aimee from Tony. She looked to Aimee who was still in his arms and exhaled lightly as she rubbed her little hand. “Goodbye,” Charlie leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. “And I really mean it; have a great life in Boston.” Charlie said before she showed herself out of the house.

Thanks everyone.

Chapter 103

Brax put the last t-shirt into the drawer before closing it shut and smiling as he turned to face Charlie. Charlie was now 12 weeks pregnant, and they’d decided that if they were having this baby that they should probably be living together. Brax had brought up finding a bigger house, so there was enough room for everyone, but Charlie said she couldn’t leave that house; she couldn’t leave the place where all her memories of Lily were and Brax understood this. Now the only problem was that were wasn’t another room for the baby’s nursery. “Charlie,” Ruby knocked on the door before walking in. “Romeo and I have some news for you.”

“Oh do I hear wedding bells?” Brax grinned.

“Ha no,” Ruby shook her head. “No marriage just yet. We eh...we’ve decided that you’re going to need room in this place for the new baby so I’m going to move in with Romeo and let you have my room for the baby.”

“Ruby no, you don’t need to move out.” Charlie shook her head, not wanting her daughter to leave. “You’re always welcome here, you know that.”

“I know,” Ruby nodded. “But Romeo and I are engaged anyways so we want to live together.”

“Well are you going to move out right away?” Charlie asked rather sadly.

“Well we were thinking of going to Asia for a few months, you know, travel around.” Romeo answered. “Then when we came back here we’d stay at the Caravan Park until we found a place of our own.”

“But you can’t go travel,” Charlie said. “What about the baby?”

“The baby isn’t due for another 6 months,” Ruby answered. “I’ll be home in plenty of time.”

“Well I guess I can’t stop you,” Charlie exhaled. “You’re 18 now, you can....you can do what you want.”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “But you know we are still going to be living in the bay and I’ll still be over here all the time. And this way you can start thinking about what you are going to do with the room for the new baby.”

Charlie exhaled as she put her hand on her stomach. She was just starting to get a little bump and so over the last few days they’d been telling people and Charlie had to put on her best smile and pretend she was excited. Although the dreams about Lily had eventually stopped, she still couldn’t help the way she felt, why she didn’t want to have this baby, but talking about it was the hardest part, so she left it, hoping it would go away and one day she would feel something for the child she was carrying. “So when are you planning on leaving?”

“Well we’ve just been looking at flights and they are pretty cheap right now so we’re going to send away for our visa’s and hopefully within the next few weeks we’ll be there."

“I think that’s a great plan,” Brax smiled. “You’ll have so much fun out there. Wish I had the money to do something like that when I was younger.”

“Wish we had money too,” Romeo laughed. “It’s a bag packer’s holiday so I’m sure we won’t be staying at luxury 5 star hotels.”

Ruby laughed. “We’ll be lucky if they even have one star.”

Charlie widened her eyes in panic. “Be careful where you decide to stay,” Charlie said. “Don’t always go for the cheapest find. Make sure it’s in a safe area and it’s clean.”

“You’re such a mother,” Romeo laughed. “But we’ll be safe don’t worry.”

“Yeah so anyways we are going out a while so see you later.” Ruby said before she and Romeo left the room. Charlie sighed as she turned to face Brax, who gave her a smile as he walked forward and took her hand into his, and dragged her down the hall and opened the door of Ruby’s room.

“I can imagine it already,” Brax smiled. “The cot there, rocking chair there, changing table there. Maybe a nice soft green or like tan/stoney/browny shades with little teddy bears on the wall since we don’t want to know what we are having.” Brax grinned as he looked to Charlie but it quickly fell as he saw the look on her face.

“I’m sorry,” Charlie shook her head. “I eh....I can’t make this the baby’s room. It was Lily’s room and I’m scared if I put another baby in here I’m going to lose the sense of Lily being in here and lose the memories because they will be replaced with this baby.” Charlie said as she put her hand on her stomach.

“Well what do you suppose we do Charlie?” Brax asked. “There are no more rooms and you won’t move house.”

“I don’t know, eh...” Charlie shrugged. “Maybe Connor could have this room and we can put the baby in Connor’s room. We were going to decorate his room anyways when we did the nursery so it’s not like it’s going to be too much trouble.”

“Okay,” Brax exhaled as he rubbed his forehead. “If that’s going to make you feel better then yeah, we can do that,” Brax answered. “I want you to feel as comfortable as possible during this because I know it’s hard for you.”

“Thank you,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “We eh....we should go to the hospital for the scan.” Charlie said as she glanced at her watch. Today was the day that they were getting their 12 week scan, and Charlie was very nervous for it. She would hear the heartbeat today, see it looking more like a baby, find out the due date. She’d did the maths in her head and had worked out that the baby would be due in June, around early June. She already had this horrible feeling in her mind that the technician was going to tell her that the baby would be due June 9th, the day that her Lily died. She was desperately hoping she was going to be wrong, thinking there was more chance of it not being the 9th, but she just couldn’t shake the feeling from her mind.

“You okay?” Brax’s voice interrupted Charlie’s thoughts.

“Yeah, let’s go.” Charlie said before she made her way down the stairs, with Brax following after her.

Connor jumped excitedly out of Angelo’s car. They were at a farm just outside Reefton Lakes, going to look at a litter of puppies. Although it had already been a few months since Angelo had promised him a puppy they were yet to find a breed that both Charlie and Angelo agreed would be suitable for Connor. The first litter of puppies that Angelo had found available were Chihuahua’s and Angelo expressed a deep dislike to the little designer dogs with a yippy bark and wanted his dog to be like a dog, while Connor thought they looked like giant rats, so that was that one out of the question. The next puppies Angelo saw were for sale were St Bernard’s and although Connor liked the look of the ‘Beethoven’ dogs, as he said, he thought they got too big and because he was only little he wouldn’t like it being big and drooling all over him. Today Angelo and Connor were going to look at a litter of Labrador puppies and although Angelo told him the dog would still grow quiet big, he didn’t seem to mind this. “Hello you must be Angelo and Connor,” The lady smiled as she shook Angelo’s hand. “I hear you want to see my puppies.”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “Are they really little?”

“Yeah,” Yvette answered. “They are only 4 weeks old so they are still very young.”

“Wow that is little,” Connor said. “My mummy is having a new baby but it’s still in her tummy.” Connor said and Angelo widened his eyes in shock, knowing how Charlie felt about more babies after what happened to Lily.

“You’re mums what?” Angelo raised his voice in surprise.

“She has Darryl’s baby in her tummy,” Connor answered. “I think she said she was 12 months.”

“You mean weeks,” Angelo said and Connor nodded. “When did she tell you this?”

“This morning,” Connor answered. “Ooh,” Connor slapped his hand over his face. “I just remembered she told me not to tell you. She said she should do it herself.”

“Yeah, she should have,” Angelo exhaled. “Well we’ll go see these puppies eh.”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “Daddy please don’t tell mummy I told you. It was an accident.” Connor looked really worried.

“I won’t mate.” Angelo shook his head.

“So a new baby brother or sister and a puppy, you are a lucky little boy aren’t you?” Yvette smiled as she walked them up to the barn.

“Yeah,” Connor gave a little grin of excitement. “But the puppy will live at daddy’s house so I won’t see him all the times.”

“Aww no, but you’ll have lots of fun when you do see him won’t you?” Yvette questioned and Connor nodded.

“Can you make sure I get a boy?” Connor asked. “I want to get a boy and call him Zak.”

“Ah Zak is a great name for a pup bud, how did you come up with that?” Angelo put his hands on his son’s shoulders as he spoke.

“Me, mummy and Darryl like it best.” Connor answered.

“So, do you have any boys available?” Angelo asked as they walked over to enclosure where the puppies where with their mother.

“Yes we have 5 girls and 3 boys and none of the boys have been homed yet,” Yvette answered. “We have a yellow boy and black boy and the only chocolate lab is also a boy so you get a choice of colour too.”

Connor smiled as he looked into the enclosure where all 8 puppies ran over and tried jumping up to see him. “It’s the big one the mummy?”

“Yeah her name is Coco.” Yvette smiled.

“And she is your dog?” Connor asked.

“That’s right.” Yvette nodded.

“Won’t she get sad when all her babies go away?” Connor questioned.

“No,” Yvette shook her head. “She’ll be so happy that all the babies have gotten good homes.”

“Oh okay,” Connor smiled. “Don’t you want to keep a puppy though?”

“Well, we are actually,” Yvette nodded. “This little girl here,” Yvette picked up a yellow pup with a little pink collar on. “My daughter called her Honey and she is going to live here with us and her mum.”

“Good,” Connor smiled before giving a giggle as one of the puppies started liking his hand. He looked down to the little black pup. “I like this one.” Connor smiled as he looked up to his dad. “Can I hold him?” Angelo seemed too engrossed in playing with the chocolate coloured pup that he didn’t hear his son. “Daddy,” Connor shouted. “I like this one.”

“Oh sorry,” Angelo looked around to the puppy. “He’s lovely.”

“Do you want me to lift him out so you can play for a bit?” Yvette asked and Connor nodded excitedly as she lifted the puppy out. It ran around in circles for a while before jumping on Connor and continuing to lick him. Connor giggled. “It’s a bit tickly.”

“Yeah it is,” Angelo laughed as the chocolate lab that was now in his arms was also licking his hand. He bent down to his son’s level and put the pup down and watched as the brothers played with each other. “So bud, do you like the chocolate one or the black one best? I think daddy likes the chocolate one.”

“Hmmm,” Connor scratched the side of his head. “The black one.” Connor smiled as the black dog jumped up onto his knee and curled up into a ball.

“I think he likes you too,” Yvette smiled. “So what do you think daddy?”

“If the boy likes the black one then the black one is it.” Angelo smiled.

“Do we get to take him home right now?” Connor questioned.

“No buddy they are too little to leave there mummy right now,” Yvette said. “You’ll have to come for him in January.”

“Aww but that’s after Christmas,” Connor looked saddened. “He won’t can play with me on Christmas day.”

“No, but you’ll get all your cool presents at Christmas then in January you get to get a dog, another cool present,” Angelo said as he nudged his sons arm. “That’s cool right?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “You won’t sell him to another boy, will you? He is Zak and he is my puppy.”

“I won’t,” Yvette shook her head. “How about you go over to that red box over there and pick out a coloured collar and we’ll put it on the pup so you know which one is yours when you come to collect him?”

Connor nodded as he stood up from the floor and ran over to the box and looked at all the little puppy collars and colours to choose from. There was yellow, red, green, blue, purple, orange and navy. “Wow, so many colours,” Connor scratched the side of his head as he was making his choice. He picked up the blue collar before running back over and handing it to Yvette. “Blue because I like Sydney FC and they play in blue.” Connor said as he watched her putting the collar on him.

“Good choice bud,” Angelo smiled as he put the chocolate lab back in the enclosure and then wiped his pants down of a little dirt from the barn floor. “So, what’s the damage?” Angelo asked as he watched his son clapping his puppy.

“You can pay when you collect,” Yvette said. “They’ll be ready to leave any time after 5th January.”

“Right well thanks,” Angelo once again shook Yvette’s hand before telling Connor to say goodbye to the puppy for now. Connor gave him a kiss and put him back in the enclosure to play with his brothers and sisters before talking Angelo’s hand and walking away from the barn with him and Yvette.

Thanks for the comments.

Chapter 104

Charlie and Brax were in the hospital room, waiting for the technician to come to give them their scan. “I need to pee.” Charlie sighed as she rested her head against the pillow.

“Well it would have been all that water you drank before you came here,” Brax laughed. “Maybe take it easy next time.”

“I had to drink the water, Brax,” Charlie sighed. “It pushes my womb up so they can get a better look at the baby.”

“Ah okay,” Brax nodded. “Well it’s won’t be long before you can go.” Brax smiled as he moved her hair back from her face.

“If they leave it much longer there will be a puddle on this floor.” Charlie muttered.

Brax laughed lightly. “Sorry.”

“Not really you’ll fault is it?” Charlie sighed. “They tell you to be here for 2pm but 2.15 and we’re still waiting.”

“Well she told us to get settled and she’d just be a minute,” Brax said. “She must have just got caught up.”

“Hmm,” Charlie sighed as she looked away from Brax, towards the door, staring at it and hoping the technician would soon be in. “Finally.” Charlie exhaled as the technician walked into the room; she was feeling increasingly uncomfortable and really wanted to use the restroom.

“So sorry about that,” She smiled as she got everything ready. “I’m here now; I bet you are dying to see this baby.”

“Yeah,” Brax smiled as he took a hold of Charlie’s hand. “We get to know the due date today, right?”

“You sure do.” The technician smiled as she squeezed some gel onto Charlie’s stomach and began the scan.

“Oh my,” Brax put his hand over his mouth as he heard the sounds of his child’s heart beating. “Is that the....”

“That’s the heartbeat,” The technician smiled up at Brax, before looking back to the screen. Brax looked down to Charlie and saw her lips were pursed together and saw a single tear escaping her eye. While Brax hoped that this was a tear of joy, the look on Charlie’s face told him that it most likely wasn’t. “Okay, so.....you are 12 weeks 2 days and I can tell you that the baby will be due on.....June 9th.”

“No no no,” Charlie shook her head. “Please, tell me a different date.”

“I can’t,” The technician looked slightly bewildered as she looked to Charlie. “I’m sorry but that’s going to be when you are due.”

“No.” Charlie yelled as she batted the technicians hand from her stomach and stood up from the bed, letting her top fall onto her gel covered stomach as running from the room.

“I’m so sorry,” Brax said. “She eh....her daughter died of SIDS eh....the 9th of June. Her daughter died on the 9th of June.”

“I’m so sorry.” The technician spoke quietly.

“I eh...” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I’ll go calm her down and we can finish this scan, yeah?”

“Yeah, if you not too long. I have other appointments and I am already running late as it is.”

Brax gave a nod before he walked out of the room and down the corridor, and out of the hospital to find Charlie making her way over to the car. “Charlie....Charlie.” Brax ran up to her and took hold of her arm, Charlie swinging round to face him.

“I’m sorry but it can’t be born on that day,” Charlie cried. “That’s a day that I need to remember Lily and it can't be a happy birthday day too because it wouldn’t be fair on the new baby to have to share that day and it wouldn’t be fair on Lily. It’s Lily’s day. The day I’m sad for her but also get to remember her. I can’t have the baby born on that day Brax, I can’t, it wouldn’t be right. There are so many days, why does it have to be on the day she....the day that my baby died?”

“It’s just our bad timing,” Brax exhaled as he wiped the tears from Charlie’s cheeks. “And Charlie, that date, it’s an estimate, okay. They can’t pin point the exact day 100 per cent. They cannot guarantee that baby will come on the 9th.”

“But she just said, she just said that was the date.” Charlie sniffed back.

“Okay, I was due on the 17th and I wasn’t born until the 21st. I was late.” Brax said. “What about you, Rubes, Connor. Were any of you born on the date the doctor said?”

“Eh...” Charlie wiped her hand across her eye as she thought about it. “I was 5 days late, Ruby, she was a week early, Lily was 12 days late,” Charlie said. “I was almost taken in to be induced but she arrived just before that happened,” Charlie gave a little smile. “But Connor, he was...he was the 5th February and the 5th of February he was born.”

“See that’s only 1 out of 5,” Brax said softly as he rubbed her arm. “So there’s more chance that this baby isn’t going to be born on the 9th.”

“Maybe eh....maybe they could induce me just a few days early or stop the labour for even just a day.” Charlie said hopefully.

“Well I don’t think they’ll really do that, but like I say, it’s just an estimate babe, they can’t tell you for dead certain.” Brax said as he continued to lightly rub her arm.

“I feel so embarrassed for running out there.” Charlie said.

“It’s okay,” Brax smiled lightly. “I explained things to her and she understands. Now are you going to come back in for the rest of the scan?”

“If I have too.” Charlie exhaled wanting to just leave and not have to face the technician again today.

“C’mon it’ll be okay.” Brax took her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze before walking her back into the hospital so they could finish the scan.

Charlie knocked on the door of Angelo’s apartment and waited for an answered. “Mummy.” Connor grinned as he wrapped his arms around her in a hug.

“Hey bud,” Charlie placed a kiss on her son’s forehead. “How was your day?” Today was the first day of the summer holidays so Connor spent much longer than usual with his dad.

“Good, we bought the puppy.” Connor grinned as he dragged Charlie into the apartment.

“Aww wow, the Labrador?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded. “A black one and I did call him Zak but we can't get him till January.”

“Ah well it’s something to look forward to,” Charlie smiled as she ruffled her sons hair. “Well I have to talk to daddy so why don’t you go play Xbox for a while?” Charlie said and Connor nodded his head, not needed to be told twice to play on his beloved Xbox.

“Hey,” Angelo smiled at his ex. “Here congratulations are in order.” Angelo said as he pointed to her stomach.

“Oh, you know?” Charlie questioned as they walked to the kitchen and Angelo opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of juice and handed it to her. “Thanks.”

“Connor let slip.” Angelo said.

“I was going to tell you today, I really was.” Charlie said and Angelo exhaled as he rubbed his forehead.

“Sure,” Angelo nodded. “So, babies with Braxton eh, what made you change your mind?”

“I didn’t,” Charlie shook her head. “Sometimes you can do all you can and you still wind up pregnant.”

“Just a bit funny,” Angelo said. “I mean we manage for 8 years not to have an accident and you were with him what, a few months before that happened.”

“6 and there’s nothing I can do about it now. Mistakes happen and I’m going to just have to deal with it aren’t I?” Charlie said. “I’d much rather not be pregnant but I am so.....look can we just about what I came here for?”

“Okay well eh....” Angelo rubbed his forehead. “I’d obviously like him on Christmas day this year because he was with you last year, but eh I’m happy to let you keep him on Christmas day if I can see him Christmas Eve and eh, well my mum’s asked me to Melbourne for New Years and they’d like it if I took Connor.”

“Well how long would you be in Melbourne for?” Charlie questioned.

“Eh, 5 days maybe,” Angelo exhaled. “We’d leave here maybe the 29th and come back on the 3rd or 4th.”

“That’s a long time.” Charlie widened her eyes. She’d never been away from her son longer than a night before.

“Well you’d have Ruby and Brax, Romeo, Morag, the baby in a way,” Angelo exhaled. “My family hardly ever see Connor and it’ll be nice for them, don’t you think?”

“Yeah, I’m sure it will,” Charlie nodded as she glanced to her son who was engrossed in his game. “Eh-”

“I’ll look after him Charlie. You still trust me with him, right?” Angelo asked.

“Of course I do,” Charlie replied. “I just haven’t been away from him longer that a night, you know that.”

“Well I’d appreciate it if you at least thought about it,” Angelo said. “Can you at least do that?”

“Eh...no its eh, it’s fine, you can take him,” Charlie smiled lightly. “And eh, on Christmas day you can come round in the morning if you want. See him opening his presents and then we'll head along to the beach barbeque. We’d both be going there anyways right?”

“Yeah,” Angelo nodded. “I eh, I appreciate that thanks.”

“And eh, I was going to go up to the grave either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day if you want to come there with me too.”

“Yeah,” Angelo nodded. “I will thanks.”

“Right Connor,” Charlie said as she looked into the living room. “Get your stuff ready.”

“So, that Brax all moved in then?” Angelo raised his eyebrows.

“Yeah it is,” Charlie answered. “I’ve moved on Angelo, maybe it’s time you tried to do that too.”

Angelo clicked his tongue as Connor ran into the room. “I’m ready mum.”

“Okay, say bye to daddy.” Charlie said as Connor ran over to Angelo and gave him a hug.

“Bye daddy I had fun today. Thanks for taking me to pick a puppy.”

“Ah you’re welcome bud,” Angelo ruffled his hair. “See you on Wednesday okay.”

“Yeah.” Connor answered as he ran over to the door and pulled it open.

“Bye.” Charlie gave him a smile before she walked off after her son.

Thanks everyone. :)

Chapter 105

Charlie and Connor walked back into the house. “Right bud; go get your pyjamas on.” Charlie said as Connor made his way up the stairs with Charlie following behind him.

“But it’s school holidays,” Connor sighed. “I should get up later.”

“Yeah you can but I still want you to put your pyjamas on, of you go,” Charlie said and Connor sighed as he ran into his bedroom. Charlie exhaled as she walked further down the hall and into hers and Brax’s room. She found him sitting on the edge of the bed, looking down a little white baby grow. As Brax looked up to see Charlie was in the room, he quickly stuffed it back into the bag and hid it under the bed. “You don’t need to hide that kind of stuff,” Charlie said as she walked over to him and sat down next to him on the bed. “I know you’ve been shopping and bought stuff,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “I eh....I know you are thrilled about this. You don’t have to hide that from me.”

“I eh.....” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I don’t wanna throw it in your face. You’re not happy about this and me being all crazy excited around you isn’t going to make you feel good, is it?” Brax questioned.

“You know I’m not doing this on purpose, Brax,” Charlie spoke quietly as she looked down to the floor. “I don’t want to feel like this and I’m really trying not to,” Charlie ran her hand over her stomach as she felt tears forming in her eyes. “I mean this is my baby,” Charlie sniffed back. “And I feel so guilty for not feeling anything. I’m its mother and I know I’m supposed to be happy and feel love for the kid but I can’t and I’m not sure I know why.” The tears were streaming down Charlie’s face now, and Brax exhaled as he wrapped his arm around her, allowing her to fall into him and rest her head against his chest.

“It’s okay,” Brax said softly as he placed a kiss on her head. “It’ll come. It must be hard being pregnant after what happen and I’m sure you’ll learn to get used to the idea, and....I’ve no doubts that you are going to love this child,” Brax said. “This time next year, me, you, Connor and little Pip will be getting ready for Pip’s first Christmas,” Brax smiled lightly as he placed his hand on Charlie’s stomach. “Isn’t that right Pip?”

Charlie smiled as she put her hand on top of Brax’s. “I love how much faith you have in me.”

“You should have faith in yourself too,” Brax exhaled. “And if you ever want to talk about anything that’s upsetting you or something you’re worried about, don’t be scared to talk to me, okay?”

Charlie nodded lightly as she looked up to Brax. “The due date thing was a big worry for me,” Charlie exhaled as she tucked her hair behind her ear. “I....it can’t come on the 9th. I know there’s every chance that it won’t, but it’s just my luck that it will.”

“Nah, us Braxton’s always turn up late,” Brax exhaled, trying to make Charlie stop worrying about the due date thing. “Chances are this one will be too,” Brax smiled lightly as he rubbed her back. “So did you sort out Christmas day with Angelo?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “He actually offered me him on Christmas day.”

“Oh so you didn’t even need to ask?”

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “But he wants to take him to Melbourne for New Year’s so that’s probably why he said I could have him Christmas day.” Charlie looked sad as she spoke.

“You don’t look too keen for that?” Brax said.

“I just....I’ve never been away from Connor longer than a night and I’ll miss him.” Charlie exhaled.

“Can always say no?” Brax suggested.

“No I can’t be selfish,” Charlie shook her head. “He needs to spend time with his dad and his family. I’m sure he’ll have a great time too.”

“Yeah,” Brax agreed. “And it’s not like you’ll be alone. You’ll have me to keep you company,” Brax grinned. “And of course Ruby and Romeo will be around.”

“I know.” Charlie smiled.

“So, did you ask him around Christmas morning?” Brax asked.

“Yeah, he’s going to come,” Charlie answered. “Thanks for saying it was okay, by the way. I know it’s our first Christmas together and well, you’d probably rather my ex-husband wasn’t around.”

“Yeah but it’s important that we can show Connor we can all get along and it’ll be nice for Connor and Angelo, so sometimes you’ve just got to be the bigger person.” Brax said and Charlie smiled lightly as she placed a kiss on his lips.

“Well I really do love that you can be the bigger person,” Charlie said softly. “I really do, so, thanks.”

“It’s okay,” Brax smiled. “As long as I am the one who gets to kiss you under the mistletoe come Christmas morning all will be fine.” Charlie gave a little laugh before once again placing a kiss on Brax’s lips. They only broke apart when they heard Connor running into the room.

“Mum, I’m ready for bed, can we all play a game now?” Connor questioned as he jumped up onto the bed.

“Sure we can,” Charlie smiled. “What kind of game do you want to play?”

“Uhm...” Connor scratched the side of his head. “Oh...hungry hippos.”

“Ah man that’s my favourite,” Brax said sounding most enthusiastic. “I get to be the blue hippo.” Brax said as he put his hand in the air.

“No, I’m always the blue hippo.” Connor sighed.

“Well looks like I am going to have to fight you for it.” Brax grinned as he lifted Connor into his arms and started tickling his sides. Connor burst into a laugher as he tried to get away.

“No...stop....please,” Connor said between the giggles. Brax stopped tickling him and Connor jumped down to the floor. “First one down the stairs is blue.” Connor said before running from the room.

“Oi....you’re cheating, wait.” Brax shouted as he ran after the boy who was giggling hysterically. Charlie looked out of the room as she heard the boys thumping down the stairs and smiled lightly to herself, before standing up and walking out after them to join them to play the game.

Ruby and Romeo were in Romeo’s bedroom, looking at flights on the laptop. “So there’s a cheap flight out on the 23rd,” Romeo answered. “Which is quiet strange as its Christmas so you’d think they’d be more expensive.”

“We can’t leave before Christmas,” Ruby shook her head. “It’s going to be my first one back with Charlie and Morag and Connor. I want to spend it with them.”

“Oh.” Romeo sounded slightly disappointed. He really wanted to get away from the bay and also though the break would be good for Ruby, and she could leave all the stuff with Aimee behind her.

“I don’t care about New Year though,” Ruby exhaled. “So we can go away just after Christmas.”

“Cool,” Romeo smiled. “So, we can get a flight on the 28th December then?” Romeo questioned.

“Don’t you think we should wait till the visas are approved?” Ruby questioned. “We’ve only just sent them away this afternoon, and it might take a while?”

“Nah, I think we’ll be fine,” Romeo said. “We should just book the flights.”

“I’m just a little scared that we book them then the time for the flight comes and we don’t have visas.” Ruby said.

“Well you can get most visas at the airports anyway nowadays,” Romeo exhaled. “So, yeah, maybe we’d need to wait a little longer in the airport but we’ll get there,” Romeo smiled. “So, let’s just be adventurous and book it.”

“Ahh you’re right, let’s do it.” Ruby grinned.

“Yeah?” Romeo questioned. “Because I press this button then we are booked on a flight to Laos then there is no going back.” Romeo said.

“Do it.” Ruby took a deep breath as Romeo hit the button on the laptop.

“We’re going travelling babe.” Romeo grinned as he looked up to Ruby. Ruby let out a little squeal, a mixture of fear and excitement before wrapping her arms around Romeo in a hug.

“It’s going to be so fun.” Ruby smiled.

“I know,” Romeo gave her a smile back. “I’m excited already.”

“Me too.” Ruby smiled before placing a soft kiss on Romeo’s lips.

Thank you all so much for commenting. :wub:

Chapter 106

Ruby stared at the laptop screen, and re-read the email, wondering if she should press send or not. Although she’d agreed with Tony and Rachel that she’d have no contact at all with Aimee, over the last few days she couldn’t stop thinking about her daughter and desperately wanted to know how she was getting on. She exhaled lightly as she looked to the side of the desk and saw the picture that Tony had given Charlie. Charlie originally gave Ruby both the pictures, but Ruby had put them into two separate frames, and gave one back to Charlie, which she had put down the stairs next to the picture of Lily, with Ruby keeping her picture on the desk in her bedroom. She exhaled as she ran her fingers over the picture, Aimee being a month old at most. “Three months today,” Ruby whispered. “You’ll be smiling now, more in tune with your surroundings,” Ruby smiled lightly to herself. “It’ll be okay to send this and ask how you are, right?” Ruby questioned before looking back to the laptop screen.

“What you doing babe?” Romeo rubbed his eyes as he sat up in the bed. He looked to the clock and saw it just before 4 am.

“Eh....deciding whether to send this email.” Ruby answered.

Romeo yawned as he got out of the bed and walked over to Ruby, leaning down behind her, the bright light from the laptop stinging is eyes a little. He scanned over the email, Romeo seeing Ruby had asked how Tony and Rachel were getting on in Boston, how Lucas, Jack and Martha were and how Martha’s pregnancy was going. How she’d told them everything was going good with her and Romeo and their plans for travelling, and that Charlie was pregnant, and Connor was excited about being a big brother and for getting a puppy, before she asked for news on Aimee. “Yeah, you should send it if you really want to know,” Romeo said as he put his hand on her shoulder. “They’ll be happy to give you an update on her.”

“I know, I just....we’ll I’m not sure I want to start this. If I get one email I’ll want heaps more.” Ruby pursed her lips together, wondering if she should do it or not.

“So getting an email every now and then won’t hurt, will it?” Romeo questioned. “You get to know how she is doing and that she’s happy, right?”

“Yeah, but I’m worried that hearing about her is going to make me wish I kept her.” Ruby spoke quietly, not making eye contact with Romeo.

“You know that she’s getting a great life with Tony and Rachel,” Romeo rubbed Ruby’s shoulder. “She’s happy with her parents and that’s all you want for her, right?” Romeo said.

“Yeah, you’re right,” Ruby looked up to Romeo and gave him a weak smile. “I think....I think I want some updates though.”

“So send this email and then just take the rest from there, yeah?” Romeo questioned and Ruby smiled lightly as she nodded her head, hitting the send button, and feeling a little panic that there was no going back now and would only have to wait to see if Rachel would reply. Romeo smiled lightly as he squeezed her shoulder. “You coming back to bed?” Romeo questioned, knowing not to talk about the baby too much.

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded as she shut the laptop down. “You know I’ve been thinking about what you said the other day about the visas and us being able to get them at the airport if they aren’t here on time.” Ruby said as she got back into the bed with Romeo.

“Yeah what about it?” Romeo questioned.

“Well that plan is all fair and well but you know we had to send the passports away, right?” Ruby said.

“Oh.” Romeo widened his eyes. “Of course we did.”

“So, no passports mean no holiday if they’re not here on time.” Ruby exhaled as she cuddled closer to Romeo.

“Whoops,” Romeo exhaled. “Well we’ll just have to hope that they do come back in time then eh.”

“Yep or you’re in trouble, Todd.” Ruby raised her eyebrows as she laughed.

“Oh, really Todd right now is it?” Romeo laughed.

“Mmm, if you are going to be in trouble yeah.” Ruby laughed.

“Well the passports aren’t late yet so technically I’m not in trouble, really, right?” Romeo tilted his head to the side.

“Hmmm, if you say so.” Ruby exhaled. “Goodnight.” Ruby yawned before placing a kiss on his lips before they snuggled back down to sleep.

Charlie walked down the stairs and walked into the kitchen where Brax and Connor were sitting eating their breakfast. “Morning sleepyhead,” Brax smiled as he looked up to Charlie to see she was wearing sweats and one of his hoodies and screwed his face up confused, it was December, and not sweats and a hoodie weather. “You okay babe?” Brax questioned and Charlie shook her head.

“I feel so ill.”

“Oh,” Brax opened his arm out and Charlie went and sat down on his knee. He put his hand onto her forehead to check her temperature. “Babe, you’re burning up.”

“I’m freezing.” Charlie said as she folded her arms against her chest, trying to get herself warmer.

“Mummy its summer,” Connor gave a little giggle before taking a drink of his milk. “You can’t be freezing.”

“Mummy doesn’t feel well,” Charlie shook her head as she put her hand on her chest. “I want to go back to bed.”

“But mummy we are going shopping today,” Connor exhaled. “For stuff for Pip.” Brax smiled lightly as he heard Connor using the same nickname for the baby that he used.

“We have plenty of time.” Charlie exhaled not sounding herself.

“But it would have been nice.” Connor sighed sadly.

“Well you and Brax can still go if you’d like bud,” Charlie answered. “You can pick out some nice things for the baby.”

“But you should be there too.” Connor answered as he looked sadly to his mother.

“I’ll come the next time,” Charlie answered. “But I don’t feel well. I need to rest, that’s the best thing for me and the baby right now.” Charlie exhaled as she felt Brax’s hand going under his hoodie and gently rubbing her back.

“I can stay with you if you want?” Brax questioned. “Make you something to eat.”

“Nah, it’s okay,” Charlie answered. “You were excited for going baby clothes shopping, you should still go. I trust you boys to pick out some nice stuff.”

“Do you think it’s worth taking you to hospital?” Brax questioned, looking concerned. “Make sure everything is okay with the baby?”

“Eh, not right away,” Charlie shook her head. “I’ve only felt like this since I woke up so only like 20 minutes,” Charlie exhaled. “Maybe in a day or two if I still feel ill then it’ll be worth going in.”

“Well why are you sick today?” Connor sighed.

“I can’t chose when I am sick sweetie,” Charlie answered. “It’s probably just morning sickness.”

“I thought that cleared up and you weren’t feeling sick anymore?” Brax questioned.

“Well yeah I’ve been fine this last week and thought maybe that was it clearing up but obviously because I’m feeling ill today it could possibly be back.” Charlie answered as she stood up from Brax’s knee and walked over to the fridge, pulling out a bottle of water.

“You’ve never felt cold or had a temperature before though,” Brax answered. “You’ve normally just been sick.”

“What so you are saying I am making this up?” Charlie replied as she turned back to face him. “Make up I’m sick so I get out of baby clothes shopping?”

“No, I’m not saying that,” Brax shook his head. “I felt you had a temperature, didn’t I?” Brax questioned.

“Look just take Connor out and buy him his lunch as promised. I’m going back to bed. Have a good day buddy.” Charlie said as she walked over to her son and ruffled his hair before she walked off back up the stairs.

“Is you and mummy mad with each other?” Connor questioned.

“Nah, mate, it’s all okay,” Brax smiled as he stood up from the chair. “C’mon let’s go do some shopping yeah?”

“Yeah.” Connor grinned excitedly as he jumped down from the chair and walked out of the house with Brax.

Thank you for the comments.

Chapter 107

Brax and Connor were in the shopping mall in Yabbie Creek. They’d bought a few things for the baby already and were moving on to another baby clothes shop, looking for more. “Darryl don’t you want to tell me what the baby is?”

“We don’t know what it is buddy.” Brax answered as they walked into the shop.

“Well that’s silly,” Connor sighed. “We should know so we can buy dresses for a girl or stuff for a boy.”

“It’s still too early to tell anyways,” Brax answered. “So even if we wanted to know, we couldn’t.”

“How?” Connor scrunched his face up.

“Well the baby is too little right now,” Brax answered. “Mummy is only 13 weeks and you have to wait until around 20 weeks before the doctor can tell you if it’s going to be a boy or a girl.”

Connor scratched the side of his head, confused, as he let out a sigh. “Darryl, how does the baby even get in mummy’s tummy?”

Brax widened his eyes. What was he supposed to say to that? “Eh....oh look there’s daddy.” Brax breathed a sigh of relief as he saw Angelo walking into the clothing store.

“Daddy,” Connor smiled as he ran over to him, with Brax walking up behind him. “What you doing here?”

“Doing some Christmas shopping bud.” Angelo smiled down at his son.

“But daddy,” Connor scrunched his face up. “Santa does that. He brings the presents.”

“Well yeah but daddy is allowed to buy to stuff too, right?” Angelo said and Connor gave a little nod. “So where’s mummy?”

“She’s sick.” Connor sighed.

“Oh dear, that’s not very nice is it?” Angelo questioned.

“Nah, I’m kinda worried to be honest,” Brax exhaled. “I thought sickness stopped after 12 weeks.”

“Not always,” Angelo shook his head. “With Connor she wasn’t bad, but I remember with Lily she was sick a lot. Right up till she was born pretty much.”

“Right,” Brax nodded. “So you don’t think I need to be worried?”

“Well every pregnancy is different and I’m no doctor, but a woman knows her body so unless Charlie thinks something is wrong, I wouldn’t worry too much. Kids are supposed to send you grey after they’re born. You know when they are teenagers and driving you wild, so try not to stress too much, although this is your first pregnancy so easier said than done.” Angelo smiled lightly at the man. They were far from best friends and Angelo felt like he’d just swooped in and stole his family from him, but his love for Charlie and Connor meant he had to play nice with him.

“Daddy we’ve been getting clothes for Pip,” Connor smiled. “But it’s hard because we don’t know what it is.”

“Aww but you’ll get a nice surprise when the baby is born.” Angelo said.

“Do you think if it was a boy that he’d like soccer like me?” Connor questioned as he looked from Angelo to Brax.

“Could do,” Brax nodded. “You could teach him eh.”

“I would.” Connor nodded. “I’d be a good teacher ay daddy?”

“The best mate,” Angelo nodded before he and Brax exchanged a glance. “Right well I need to go finish my shopping, but I’ll see you Monday, okay bud?”

“Yeah bye dad.” Connor waved as Angelo walked off to the boys’ aged 5-10 clothes section.

“Right you, let’s pick a couple more things then we’ll get some lunch yeah?” Brax questioned and

Connor nodded as he ran over to the baby section.

“Ah look at this it’s cute,” Connor said as he pulled a baby towel from the shelf. It was yellow and the hood had a duck’s face on. “It’s funny,” Connor giggled. “Like the baby would be a duck after bath time. We need to buy it.”

Brax smiled as he took it in his hand. “Maybe we should wrap you up in a duck towel too eh.” Brax laughed.

“No,” Connor shook his head. “It’s too little for me.”

“Yeah,” Brax answered before they picked out a few more baby grows and a little white bunny teddy before paying for the items. “So, buddy where do you want to go for lunch?”

“McDonalds.” Connor grinned.

“Mate that’s in the city, it’s too far to go today.” Brax told him as they walked out of the shop.

“Well,” Connor sighed as he scratched the side of his head. “We’ll just go up the stairs to the restaurants and pick a place then,” Connor answered as he ran over to the escalator and jumped onto it, standing still and letting it take him up, with Brax stepping on and walking up until he was next to Connor. “Darryl you know you are buying all the stuff for the baby?”

“Yeah?”

“Well maybe you could buy me something new too,” Connor suggested. “It would be nice eh?” Connor gave Brax an angelic grin.

Brax laughed lightly as they stepped off the escalator. “We’ll see buddy.” Brax said as he took Connor’s hand and they walk down the row of restaurants looking to see where they could eat.

Brax and Connor walked back into the house to see Charlie sitting on the couch with a cup of tea in her hand. “Hey, how you feeling now?”

“A bit better.” Charlie answered as Brax leaned down and placed a kiss on her forehead before he sat down next to her with Connor sitting on the arm of the couch next to his mother.

“Have you had anything to eat?” Brax questioned.

“Romeo made me a sandwich before they went out for the day but I brought it back up,” Charlie scrunched her face up at the thought of being sick. “I eh...I’ve managed to keep a couple of crackers down and I’m sipping on this tea right now so hopefully that’s okay.”

“Yeah, well you don’t seem to have a temperature anymore,” Brax said as he felt her forehead. “So that’s good a thing.”

“I still feel a little cold though.” Charlie answered.

“Mummy, why do you have Darryl’s hoodie on?” Connor gave a little giggle.

“I’m a little cold,” Charlie answered. “So, are you going to show me what you got at the shops today?”

“Yeah,” Connor grinned as he jumped down from the couch and started pulling stuff from the bags.

“Darryl bought me this, isn’t it cool?” Connor grinned as he threw the yellow and blue soccer ball in the air before catching it in his hands.

“A soccer ball?” Charlie questioned. “Just what you needed hmmm,” Charlie exhaled. “I thought you were shopping for the baby?”

“Well yeah but the baby got lots of stuff so I should get something too,” Connor said as he picked up all the clothes and pushed on to the couch, between the arm of the couch and Charlie. “We got Pip this yellow baby grow and this white and green one and this red and grey one and this green blanket and this towel,” Connor grinned as he lay them all across his mother’s stomach. “It’s like a duck.” Connor gave a giggle. “Pip the duck.”

“Aww they’re all lovely.” Charlie spoke quietly and Brax could hear the sadness in her voice. She ran her hand over the white and green baby grow and pursed her lips together.

“Yeah,” Connor grinned. “Can I feel the baby?” Connor asked.

“You won’t feel much right now.” Charlie answered as she lifted the clothes, blanket and towel from her stomach and gave them to Brax to sort out.

“So,” Connor answered. “I still want too.”

Charlie lifted the hoodie up and Connor put his hand onto Charlie’s little bump. “Hmm, I don’t feel anything.” Connor shook his head sadly.

“No, I told you that you wouldn’t.” Charlie said as she saw Brax putting his hand on her stomach, next to Connors.

“Pretty cool though, I mean, our kid is growing in there.” Brax smiled.

“Oh Darryl you never did tell me how it gets in mummy’s tummy.” Connor said and Charlie bit her lip as she looked to Brax, waiting on him to answer.

“Eh...” Brax rubbed the back of his head as he looked to Charlie wanting help.

“Mummy and Darryl need to have a special hug to make a baby.” Charlie said as she looked around to her son.

“Oh,” Connor answered. “Well it will be nice to have a baby again,” Connor smiled as he rubbed Charlie’s stomach. “Do you think the baby will like my cuddles and me helping with it like Lily did?”

“I’m sure it will,” Charlie nodded lightly as she stood up from the couch. “My tea is cold so I’m just going to make a fresh one.” Charlie said before walking through to the kitchen. Brax looked down to Connor before looking into the kitchen at Charlie and knew that even though she was trying, she still had a long way to go before she would be able to accept this baby.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 108

Charlie walked back down the stairs, fresh from her bath. “How was your bath?” Brax questioned as Charlie sat down on the couch next to him, still wearing her sweats and his hoodie.

“Good,” Charlie smiled. “Was nice to relax for a while and I feel so much better too.”

“Good, I’m glad,” Brax smiled as he wrapped his arm around her, Charlie placing her head against his chest. “Maybe next time you could let me join you in the bath.” Brax grinned cheekily as he rubbed Charlie’s arm.

Charlie gave a little laugh. “You get Connor down alright?”

“Mmm yeah,” Brax nodded. “Hardly had to read him a story. I think I only read two pages.”

“All that soccer must have tired him out.” Charlie yawned.

“Yeah, and me,” Brax yawned too. “But eh, he did tell me if the baby was a boy that he thinks we should call him Darryl Junior,” Brax gave a little laugh as he moved his hand down to Charlie’s stomach. “And a girl, wait for it....” Brax paused momentarily and Charlie expected him to say Charlie Junior. “Maisie, ha bet you expected Charlie Junior, ay?”

“I did,” Charlie answered. “There’s a Maisie in his class at school though so that will be where he has gotten that from.”

“Oh I know,” Brax answered. “She’s in the best reading group and writing group and maths group and she likes drama and gym class and she is funny and is pretty and has blonde hair and brown eyes.”

“Aww, my boy’s got his first crush,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Bless him.”

“Yeah,” Brax laughed. “But yeah, Maisie and Darryl Junior are his choices of names.”

“I’m not a fan of Darryl,” Charlie scrunched her face up. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright,” Brax answered. “I don’t particularly like it either. Why do you think I call myself Brax?”

“I thought that was you trying to be all cool.” Charlie said before giving a little laugh.

“Cheeky,” Brax lightly poked her side. “But uhm, have you thought about baby names yet?”

“You mean we’re not calling the child Pip?” Charlie questioned.

“Ha-ha,” Brax said as he lightly rubbed her stomach. “That’s just the little ones nickname until we give him/her a proper name,” Brax answered. “So, you’ve not thought about names yet?”

“I’m still trying to come to terms with this pregnancy. You know get my head around being pregnant again and convincing myself that’s it okay to feel happy about this. So, no, sorry names for the baby haven’t crossed my mind yet,” Charlie spoke quietly as she put her hand on top of Brax’s. “But if you have any names to suggest then...” Charlie trailed off. “Maybe the more I talk about the baby or start arranging things like names and the room and going clothes shopping....maybe it will help me.” Charlie smiled lightly as she looked to Brax. She hated so much that she felt like this. She knew babies were supposed to be a good thing, a happy thing, something to show for the love that she and Brax had for each other, but right now, for Charlie, all she thought of when she thought about the baby was that she’d lost her precious daughter and now being excited for the baby was something that she was finding difficult.

“Well I’ve always liked the name Jessica for a little girl,” Brax smiled. “Jessica Braxton. I think that has a lovely ring to it,” Brax said. “And for a boy, Dylan.” Brax smiled once again as he continued to lightly rub Charlie’s stomach. “But I get the feeling it’s a girl,” Brax smiled. “I’d love a little girl. My little princess. I’d spoil her rotten and no doubt she’d have me wrapped around her little finger.” Brax smiled as he thought about being a father. Charlie looked into his eyes and saw that she was making him so happy and that he couldn’t wait for the day to come when the baby would arrive.

“Well I think Connor almost has you wrapped around his finger so goodness knows what you are going to be like with your own child.” Charlie said.

“You know I love Connor, Charlie,” Brax said. “He’s a fantastic kid and I won’t treat him any differently as I would my own child. We’ll be a great little family.”

“I know,” Charlie smiled lightly before she bit her lip. There was one name that she liked. “What eh....what do you think of the name Joshua?”

“Joshua, I like it,” Brax grinned. “Yeah, Connor and Joshua....it sounds great.”

Charlie smiled lightly before letting out another yawn. “I’m so tired. Fancy an early night?”

“Mmm maybe,” Brax gave Charlie a cheeky grin. “I wouldn’t mind going up to bed now if it mean that we got to have one of those special hugs that you mentioned before.” Brax raised his eyebrows suggestively.

Charlie laughed as she stood up from the couch. “Well this might just be your lucky night.” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she took Brax’s hands into hers and pulled him up from the couch. She placed a soft kiss on his lips, before pulling back and leading him behind her, up the stairs to their bedroom.

Ruby stared at the computer screen, almost shaking in a mixture of nerves and excitement as she saw the email from Rachel. It was exactly a week since she’d emailed her asking for news on Aimee and she’d started to give up hope of a reply. “Babe, babe, she replied.”

“What who what?” Romeo scrunched his face up as he turned around in the bed, to see Ruby sitting at the desk on his laptop, wearing his t-shirt.

“Rachel replied to the email.” Ruby said as Romeo rubbed his eyes.

“Ah, great,” Romeo pulled himself out of bed and walked over to the desk and stood behind Ruby, placing his hands on her shoulders. Ruby stared at the unopened email a little apprehensive about opening it. “Well are you going to open it?”

“In a minute,” Ruby took a deep breath. “What if they say they don’t want me keeping in touch?”

“They won’t,” Romeo screwed his face up. “They’ve said since day one if you want to be involved they’d let you. Emails, DVDs of the baby, photo’s....all that stuff they’d be willing to do.”

“You’re right, you’re right,” Ruby nodded. “And we live like 16,000 kilometres away so it’s not like I am going to go kidnap her. I just want occasional emails and photos.”

“Exactly,” Romeo smiled. “So, open it.”

Ruby took a deep breath before opening the email and both her and Romeo were silent as they read it.

Ruby

First of all, sorry it took me a week to get back to you. Things are still settling down following the move and this was the first chance I got between decorating, taking care of Aimee and helping Jack and Martha with their little one, Anthony James ‘AJ’ Holden. He was born last week a few weeks early but happy and healthy. Tony is still made up that he was named after him and loving being a new dad and a grandpa at the same time. It’s been great for him to see his boys again, and see the boys bonding with their new baby sister.

Surprised but pleased at the news of Charlie’s pregnancy and I’m sure that Brax is going to make a brilliant father to their little one. Please congratulate her from Tony, Jack, Martha, Lucas and I. And also Connor on getting to be a big brother, he’s going to make a great one.

Everyone is doing great here and if you ever plan on putting America on the list of places you want to travel too, there’s a home here in Boston that will welcome you both with open arms. Enjoy Asia and make plenty of great memories and have fun.

Aimee is doing great and never fails to surprise us with each new thing she leans. She has a cheeky little smile and a contagious little laugh. She loves it when Tony plays peek-a-boo with her, that’s when we really hear her laughing. She loves cuddles with anyone who will offer them to her and loves kicking her arms and legs during bath time. I’ve started taking her to mummy and baby swim classes, which she loves. She is going to be a little water baby for sure. She sleeps well at night, we’ll give her a feed at 10pm and she doesn’t wake for her next feed until 6am, so at least we are getting a decent sleep.

She is a gorgeous little girl who looks just like you Ruby. We can’t thank you enough for the precious gift that you have given us. Please do keep in touch. Tony and I are more than happy to keep giving you updates on Aimee, but we’ll leave it up to you, so if you want to hear more, please do just send me another email.

All our love

Rachel, Tony and Aimee.

Xxx

P.S. A picture of Aimee giving her best smile for Mummy Ruby.

Ruby ran her hand over the picture of Aimee on the screen. Her big green eyes were all wide and she was giving a big open mouth gummy smile. “She’s so gorgeous.” Ruby spoke quietly.

“She is,” Romeo smiled lightly as he gave Ruby’s shoulders a comforting squeeze. “Seems she’s doing great over there too.”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled. “It does. Can you print this off?” Ruby questioned. “Just the picture, I’d like the picture.”

“Yeah,” Romeo opened the drawer and took out his USB stick. “We’ll save it to this and take it to the store in Yabbie Creek, print it out on proper photo paper.”

“Thanks,” Ruby smiled as she stood up from the chair. “Let’s get dressed; I want to go show Charlie the email.”

“Yeah sure.” Romeo smiled as he shut down the laptop before going over to his wardrobe and pulled out some clothes for the day, before looking to Ruby. It was the happiest he’d seen her since she’d sent that email, Ruby always worried that they wouldn’t reply. He smiled as he pulled a t-shirt over his head, happy that Ruby was now open to getting some updates on Aimee.

Thank you all for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 109

It was now Christmas Eve and Connor was spending the day with Angelo. Ruby and Romeo had gone down to the beach for a surf, leaving Charlie and Brax at the house. Charlie was in the kitchen, sitting at the table feasting on a peanut butter, pickled onion and bacon sandwich and the jar of pickled onions were sitting on the table, with Charlie also eating them straight from the jar. Brax came in and picked up her sandwich and took a bite, before screwing his face up in disgust at the taste. “What the hell is on that?” Brax reluctantly swallowed his mouthful.

“Bacon, peanut butter and pickled onion,” Charlie laughed. “Serves you right for stealing my sandwich.” Charlie took it back from Brax and took a bite.

“Hey, I smelt bacon,” Brax answered as he looked to the glass of what looked like orange juice that was sitting on the table. “Is that just orange?” Charlie nodded lightly.

Brax picked up the glass and took a drink, wanting to get rid of the taste from his mouth. “That is vile, Charlie.”

“Well I didn’t make it for you,” Charlie retorted. “I actually rather like it.” Charlie took a pickled onion from the jar and put it into her mouth.

“And pickled onions from the jar?” Brax screwed his face up. “I didn’t even think you liked them that much?”

“I don’t but the baby seems to want them,” Charlie exhaled. “Hey, I’ve craved worse things than this, believe me. When I was pregnant with Connor I remember going through a phase of eating paper.”

“Paper?” Brax questioned. “Like rice paper?”

“No, proper lined paper that you write on.” Charlie said.

“Lined?” Brax questioned. “So, just lined not plain?”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “Had to be lined.”

Brax scrunched his face up as he rolled his eyes. “Cos that’s not weird.”

“Well I can’t help what I crave,” Charlie sighed. “At least its proper food this time.”

“Yeah, but a crazy weird mix.” Brax scrunched his face up as he walked over to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water.

“Ohh could you bring me the cheese please.” Charlie said as she turned to look at him. Brax rolled his eyes as he took the cheese from the fridge before walking back over to Charlie and laying it down on the table.

“You planning on sitting here with a weird feast all day?” Brax questioned.

“For a while, yes,” Charlie nodded. “I think I am meeting Bianca for lunch later.” Charlie answered as she opened the new block of cheese and picked up the knife from the table and cut a slice off before putting it in her mouth.

“So, you’re meeting Bianca for lunch yet you are stuffing your face here?” Brax questioned.

“What can I say; I must have the munchies today.” Charlie replied before putting another pickled onion in her mouth.

“Well I need to get to work, but please don’t eat the entire contents of the kitchen,” Brax sighed as he lifted the keys to his Ute from the hanger. “See you later.” Brax smiled as he went to walk out of the house.

“Uhm,” Charlie exhaled as she looked to Brax. “Where’s my kiss goodbye?”

“Uh,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “You’re all stinky pickled onion breath.”

Charlie pouted as she gave Brax puppy dog eyes. “You hear that baby; daddy won’t give me a kiss goodbye.” Brax was slightly surprised that Charlie had addressed the baby, but was glad at the same time, as it would mean she was getting used to the idea that she was going to be having a baby around again.

“Well Pip daddy is going to tell you that mummy is eating too much food and you’re going to come out all fat and squishy.” Brax said as he looked down to Charlie’s little bump.

“Fat and squishy babies are cute and healthy looking,” Charlie answered. “So, seriously you’re not going to give the mother of your child a nice goodbye kiss?” Charlie once again pouted sadly.

Brax walked over to her and placed a soft kiss on her forehead, before bending down and placing a kiss on her stomach. “Bye Pip, look after mummy today and maybe less of the stinky pickled onion cravings eh,” Brax laughed as he rubbed her stomach lightly. “See you tonight babe.”

“Bye,” Charlie smiled at him as he straightened up to face her. “And remember to pick up Connor’s bike from Bianca’s place.”

“Will do,” Brax smiled. “Am I to expect him to be in bed when I get home?”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Eh...no,” Charlie shook her head. “I’ll try and get him to bed but he will most likely be a tad excited to sleep.”

“Well still, you’ll get to have a nice day off, while I need to work till 10,” Brax sighed. “Anyways I need to leave or I’ll be late, so bye.”

“Bye.” Charlie smiled lightly as she watched Brax leave the house before reaching over to the fruit bowl and picking up an orange and pealed it open to start eating yet something else.

Charlie and Bianca were sitting in the diner have some lunch. Bianca had ordered a chicken salad to eat, while Charlie was making her way through a sweet chili chicken wrap, a bacon cheese burger, a large bowl of chips and a slice of chocolate cake. Bianca stared in amazement as Charlie looked like she was going to eat the lot then ask for more. “Not that hungry then?” Bianca laughed.

“I can’t stop eating right now,” Charlie answered before talking a drink of her water. “Which is weird because this time last week I couldn’t keep anything down.”

“Well you’re surely making up for it now,” Bianca replied. “And it’s probably good you can eat now, because well, you need to eat for two.”

“Yeah.” Charlie raised her eyebrows.

“You feeling any better about being pregnant yet?” Bianca questioned tentatively.

“Well I can’t change it,” Charlie exhaled. “Seeing Connor getting all excited again....I like that because he loved being a big brother to Lily and it’s nice that he’s going to get that again and have a little buddy to play with, but, I’m worried I’m going to compare the baby to Lily and not let myself get to know the baby for who it is. You know I’m scared that I’m going to want the baby to be like Lily was, even though I know the kid isn’t Lily and won’t ever be like Lily. It’ll be its own little person. I don’t know, it’s weird because I don’t actually want the baby to be like Lily, so, I don’t know, I’m just a bit mixed up.”

“It’s normal, I’d imagine, to feel like that,” Bianca said. “But as you said this is a new baby and not you’re Lily. You’ll love this baby for who he or she becomes.”

“I know,” Charlie nodded lightly. “And I do feel myself rubbing my stomach more now and I spoke to the baby this morning so I think I’m getting there. I’m just a bit.....slow.”

“It doesn’t matter how long you take, Charlie,” Bianca said. “We all know you’ll get there in the end and that’s all that matters and whether that’s next week or the day before the baby is born, it’s not that important, because you’ll get there and that’s all that matters.”

Charlie gave Bianca a thankful smile as she looked to her bowl of almost finished salad. “You going to finish that?” Charlie said as she pointed to the bowl. Bianca gave a little laugh as she shook her head.

“Go for it.” Bianca answered and Charlie smiled as she pulled the bowl over to her side of the table and dug into the salad.

Connor took the chocolate from the tree and pulled the paper off, throwing it to the floor before stuffing the chocolate in his mouth. “Here,” Angelo handed Connor the candy cane. “Ready to watch the movie now?”

“Yeah,” Connor jumped around excitedly before jumping onto the couch. Angelo put the soda’s down on the coffee table and they were about to watch The Polar Express, before Angelo would take Connor home to Charlie’s place. “Daddy do you think we could get on the Polar Express train to see Santa in the North Pole?”

“I don’t know mate,” Angelo shook his head. “Would you like to go to the North Pole? It would be awfully cold.”

“I’d take a coat.” Connor answered before he sucked on his candy cane.

“I see,” Angelo laughed lightly. “Well maybe one day Daddy could take you to where Santa lives.”

“Wow, really?” Connor smiled as his eyes widened in awe. “I could meet the real Santa? The proper real one?”

“Maybe,” Angelo nodded. “We could have a nice little holiday, eh, me and you?”

“Hmm yeah,” Connor answered. “But maybe mummy, Darryl and the baby could be there too. The baby would like to see Santa too dad.”

“Right yeah,” Angelo nodded. “Well maybe one day eh.” Angelo smiled lightly at his son.

“Yeah, it’ll be so much fun,” Connor smiled. “Oh...and Zak...we get Zak soon so he could come too.”

“I don’t think you’ll be able to take the puppy mate,” Angelo shook his head. “But won’t be long till we get him now, are you excited?”

“Yeah,” Connor smiled. “I wish he could live with me, mummy, Darryl and Ruby and the baby though.” Connor sighed sadly.

“Well he gets to live here with daddy and keep me company when you’re not around, doesn’t he?” Angelo smiled as cupped the back of his sons head with his hand.

“Yeah he does, he’ll look after you good till I come.” Connor smiled.

“Good,” Angelo smiled. “Right, we ready to watch the film?” Angelo questioned and Connor nodded lightly as he continued to suck on his candy cane. Angelo hit play on the remote and as the film started Connor cuddled in to Angelo. He smiled as he put his arm around his son and placed a soft kiss on his head before turning to watch the film with him.

Thanks for the comments. :) Slightly smaller update tonight, but hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Chapter 110

“Mummy he is coming, he is going to come real soon,” Connor yelled as he burst into the house, jumping around in excitement that Santa would be visiting tonight. “Daddy gave me soda, and popcorn, and chocolate, and haribo, and marshmallows, and candy canes.” Connor shrieked as he ran around Charlie.

“Wow someone is certainly hyped up on sugar.” Charlie said and she looked to Angelo, unimpressed.

“Aww its Christmas Eve.” Angelo gave a little laugh but Charlie continued to look unimpressed.

“Yeah hype him up on sugar then bring him home for me to deal with,” Charlie exhaled. “Right you get your pj’s on.”

“Bye daddy. See you tomorrow.” Connor said before he ran off up the stairs.

“Bye buddy,” Angelo smiled as he watched Connor disappear up the stairs. “He’s been like that all day really; I don’t really think the sugar will have made much difference.”

“Of course it will have,” Charlie exhaled. “But hey you’re not the one who has to put him to bed so what does it matter to you, right?”

“C’mon Charlie, don’t tell me that you wouldn’t give him some extra treats because it’s Christmas.” Angelo said and Charlie sighed lightly, not being able to deny that she probably would have.

“Eh, tomorrow, eh...” Charlie rubbed her forehead, deciding to change the subject. “I was thinking that after Connor opened his presents we could go up to the grave before the beach barbeque?”

“Yeah sounds fine to me,” Angelo exhaled. “Those flowers for her?” Angelo looked over to the bunch of what must have been two dozen pink roses sitting in water on the cabinet.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded lightly. “Did you get that bear you were thinking of buying?”

“Yeah,” Angelo answered. “I got the really light tan one with the pink bow.”

“I’m sure it’ll be lovely,” Charlie gave a weak smile. The holidays were hard without Lily. She should be here opening her presents tomorrow but instead they’d be making a visit to her grave. Charlie cleared her throat. “Anyways I’ll let you get home. See you tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” Angelo nodded his head. “Seven-thirty you said yeah?”

“Yeah.” Charlie gave a little nod as Angelo walked out of the house. She closed the door behind him and exhaled as she rested her head against it for a while.

“Mummy,” Connor thumped down the stairs. “We need to get stuff ready for Santa.”

“Oh yeah?” Charlie questioned.

“Uh-huh,” Connor pulled on her hand leading her through to the kitchen. “We need to get him cookies and milk.” Connor opened the cupboard and pulled out a plate to put the cookies on. Charlie smiled down at her son as she got the glass out of the cupboard. She exhaled lightly as she saw how excited her son was and knew to relish these moments as she’d sadly learned you didn’t know when your last moment with them was going to be. She ran her hand over her stomach and exhaled lightly before helping Connor to organise the treats he wanted to leave for Santa.

Charlie was sitting on the couch eating the plate of cookies when Brax walked back into the house. “Little one in bed?” Brax whispered and Charlie nodded lightly as she continued to eat. Brax pushed the bike into the house and leaned it against the wall next to the Christmas tree.

“You’re late.” Charlie said as she took a drink of the milk.

“You’re still eating,” Brax laughed. “You were eating when I left and you are eating now. Have you stopped at all today?”

“Yes,” Charlie said as she started to eat a second cookie. “But Connor left these out for Santa so I have to eat them.”

“Could always put them back in the box.” Brax said as he sat down on the couch next to Charlie, picking up a cookie and taking a bite.

“That would just be silly,” Charlie shook her head. “Eating them was the right thing to do.”

“I see,” Brax gave a little nod as he gave her a smile. “You’re determined to make this baby a little chubby thing, aren’t you?”

“Like I said, chubby babies are healthy,” Charlie laughed. “So anyways, how come you are so late? It’s almost 11.30.”

“Well its Christmas Eve and I had a very loud merry table. They wouldn’t leave. Kept ordering drinks and more drinks and shots and more shots. Plenty sore heads there tomorrow morning let me tell you,” Brax exhaled. “Finally got the message when the place was empty and we started switching the lights off on them.”

“Aww nasty.” Charlie laughed.

“Well I wanted to get home to my family,” Brax exhaled. “I didn’t get to see Connor all excited for Santa coming tonight or anything,” Brax gave a sad pout. “I was looking forward to candy canes and marshmallows and reading him a Christmas story before bed.”

“Aww baby,” Charlie mocked a baby voice as she pinched his cheek. “You want mummy to get you your candy cane now?”

Brax grinned. “Mmm, maybe mummy and daddy could just go bed instead.”

“Yeah right,” Charlie laughed. “You still have all Connor’s presents to bring through from the garage.”

“Just me?” Brax questioned. “You couldn’t make a start to it once he was in bed?”

“Well I didn’t think you’d want me lifting anything,” Charlie exhaled. “Not with our precious little Pip in here, you know what they say about heaving lifting in pregnancy.” Charlie said as she patted her stomach.

“Well that’s true,” Brax nodded. “But you can carry the light stuff,” Brax said as he stood up from the couch and put the plate of half-eaten cookies on the coffee table next to the glass of half drunken milk. “C’mon the quicker we get this done then quicker we can go to bed for some more special hugging.” Brax raised his eyebrows.

“Ah someone expecting an early Christmas present?” Charlie smile seductively as she and Brax made their way to the garage to get all of Connor’s presents.

“Oh yeah.” Brax hugged Charlie from behind as he placed a soft kiss on her neck.

“Well best get to work then.” Charlie grinned as she pulled away from Brax and they started moving his presents into the house.

Archived