Unconditional Love

Guest Danni02

Sorry that you don’t seem to be liking the direction this is going in right now. :( :(

Chapter 41

Connor ran into the restaurant and over to where Brax was standing. “Darryl, Darryl we are having dinner here.” Connor spoke excitedly as he danced a little on the spot.

“Oh yeah? Mummy treating you tonight?” Brax smiled as he saw Charlie walking into the restaurant. She looked gorgeous. Of course Brax always thought that she looked gorgeous, but tonight, there was something else about her, she looked extra gorgeous, and Brax wondered if this was for his benefit.

“No, mummy isn’t,” Connor shook his head. “Daddy is.”

The smile on Brax’s face fell. Angelo was back. Surely Charlie wasn’t all dressed up to impress him was she? “Oh daddy’s home?”

“Yeah,” Connor nodded as Brax saw Angelo and an older dark haired lady walking into the restaurant. “And grandma is here.”

“That’s nice squirt,” Brax smiled down at Connor, as Charlie stood behind him, putting her hand on his shoulder. “You have a good meal.”

“Yeah,” Connor smiled as he looked up at his mother. “We will ay mummy?”

“I’m sure we will,” Charlie smiled. “Hey, how’s your day been?”

“Busy,” Brax cleared his throat. “I need to get back.” Brax turned and walked away, leaving Charlie feeling quiet confused at how short he was with her. She walked over to the table where Angelo and Carla had already taken a seat, and she and Connor took a seat opposite them.

Connor looked down at the menu, before he looked up to Charlie. “Mummy can we share?” Connor questioned. “Share one big pizza?”

“Sure we can,” Charlie looked down at her son. “What kind do you want?”

“Uhm...” Connor scratched the side of his head. “Ham and pineapple...no no....wait...uhm....the meaty one....yeah the really meaty one and can we get some cheesy stinky bread?”

“Cheesy stinky bread?” Carla questioned as she gave Charlie a look of confusion.

“Garlic bread,” Charlie answered. “And yes squirt that sounds like a good meal to me.”

“Then afterwards I’m getting some ice-cream.” Connor grinned up at Angelo.

“Oh you are?” Angelo questioned as he looked down at his son.

“Uh-huh ay mummy?”

“If you’re not full you can,” Charlie answered. “What do you fancy eating tonight?” Charlie asked as she looked up to Carla.

“Uhm....I think if Angelo wants too, we could get some of the tapas and share?” Carla said as she looked from Charlie to Angelo.

“Sure, sounds fine for me.” Angelo said, just as Brax came over to take their order.

“Can I get you some drinks?” Brax questioned, looking in Carla’s direction.

“Do you want to share a bottle of red?” Carla asked as she looked to Charlie.

“Sure.” Charlie nodded.

“Okay, I have no idea on wines so....”

“I suggest the merlot that you always have, Charlie,” Brax said quietly. “It’s probably the best red that we have in.”

“Yeah, that’s fine.” Charlie smiled up at Brax, and he managed a weak smile back.

“And for you?” Brax looked at Angelo as he spoke.

“Peroni.” Angelo answered.

Brax jotted it down on the pad before looking down to Connor. “And what can I get you?” Brax smiled at Connor.

“Can I get a sprite mummy?” Connor questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “You sure can.” Brax jotted down his drinks order before looking back to Charlie.

“Are you ready to order your food or do you want more time?” Brax asked, rather coldly it seemed.

“I think we are ready,” Charlie said as she looked to Carla and Angelo and the both gave a nod of the head. “Okay, so Connor and I will have the large meat feast and some cheesy garlic bread please.”

Brax gave a nod of the head as he wrote the order down. “And for you?” Brax questioned as he looked down to Carla.

“We are going to share the tapas.” Carla said before telling Brax what they all wanted.

“Okay, I’ll be back over with your drinks soon.” Brax said before he walked away, and Charlie watched as he made up the drinks. She bit her lip as she watched his pour Connor’s sprite. Carla watched Charlie, and then looked to Brax, before once again looking to Charlie, she knew that look all too well. It was the look that Charlie had in her eyes when she was first falling for Angelo.

“So, are you always going to suggest a kid’s movie when I suggest we watch a movie?”

“Well the only other kid’s movie I’ve suggested we watch is Beauty and the Beast and that, Romeo, is a classic.”

“Okay,” Romeo laughed. “So, Finding Nemo, is this another classic?”

“You’ve never seen Finding Nemo?” Ruby questioned as her eyes widened, shocked.

“I’m sorry, should I have?” Romeo asked as he walked over to the kitchen and pulled the popcorn from the cupboard.

“Well I’ll leave you to be the judge of that,” Ruby said as she watched Romeo putting the popcorn into the microwave to pop. “But it is a good film.”

Romeo smiled as Ruby walked over to him, and he wrapped his arms around her, Ruby snuggling her little body into the welcoming arms of Romeo. He placed a soft kiss on her forehead as she rubbed her back. “I’m sure if you love it, I’ll love it.” Romeo smiled.

Ruby laughed lightly. “You know you don’t have to like everything I like?” Ruby questioned.

“I know, but we do have a lot in common,” Romeo smiled. “So chances are if you love it, I’ll love it.”

“Okay,” Ruby laughed lightly as she looked into his eyes, and smiled. Romeo smiled as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips. Ruby stood on her tiptoes as Romeo pulled her closer to her, letting the kiss deepen. “Mmm, I love your kisses.” Ruby grinned as she pulled herself back.

“That’s good because I love your kisses too.” Romeo smiled as he took the bowl out of the cupboard and took the now popped popcorn out of the microwave, and opened the bag and poured it into the bowl.

“And you are alright with us not you know....having sex yet?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah,” Romeo nodded. “Take as long as you need.” Romeo smiled as she tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Thanks, you’re being so sweet.” Ruby smiled.

“Well that’s because I reckon your pretty special,” Romeo smiled. “So whether it’s a few more weeks, months or even a year, I’ll wait till you are ready. I’d never pressure anyone into sex.”

“I know you wouldn’t.” Ruby smiled as she pulled Romeo into a hug. Ruby once again placed another soft kiss on her forehead, before pulling back and reaching for the popcorn.

“Right, let’s see what the fuss is all about for this movie, eh.” Romeo smiled as he took Ruby by the hand and led her back over to the couch.

“This is a fun night,” Connor giggled as Brax came over to clear away their empty plates. “I love you everyone. Mummy and daddy and grandma.”

“Aww we all love you too squirt,” Charlie smiled as she ruffled his hair.

“Does daddy love mummy?” Connor questioned and Angelo nodded his head as he looked to Charlie with a smile.

“I do son, very much.” Angelo answered. Brax exhaled lightly as he stacked the plates to take back to the kitchen.

“And does mummy love daddy?” Connor asked.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she felt Brax’s eyes on her without even looking up to him. “I do.” Charlie said quietly, but not quietly enough for Brax not to hear. He lifted the plates from the table and Charlie watched him as he walked off, and through to the kitchen. Carla once again, noticed Charlie watching him, seeing the way she looked at Brax, compared to that of her son. She had no doubts in her mind that Charlie loved Angelo, but the question was, was she still in love with Angelo, because loving someone and being in love with someone were two very different things.

“And what about you grandma?” Connor questioned. “Do you love all of us?”

“That I do, Connor,” Carla smiled. “I love you extra special because you are my only grandson.” Truth was, at the moment, Connor was her only living grandchild, but of course, she didnt want to upset Charlie and Angelo, but using the term only granchild. And of course, technically, Lily was still her granddaughter, just her granddaughter that had sadly passed away.

“Really?” Connor questioned. “I’m extra special? Is it really true mum?” Connor widened his eyes as he looked up at Charlie.

“You bet it’s true,” Charlie smiled as she saw Brax walking back behind the bar. “Does anyone want another drink?”

“Sprite,” Connor grinned hopingly. “Please.” He added, for extra points.

“Anyone else?”

“I’ll have another peroni.” Angelo answered, and seeing as they still had some wine to drink, Charlie didn’t even bother to hear an answered from Carla as she knew what her answer would be. She took a deep breath before walking over to the bar, to see Brax didn’t look that happy to see her.

“Have I done something to offend you?” Charlie questioned. “You seem way off with me?”

Brax sniggered. “Did you really have to come into my restaurant and rub it in my face that you’re back with him playing happy families?”

Charlie screwed her face up. “Okay, so firstly, it’s Angelo’s restaurant, not yours, and secondly we are not back together. At least not yet, and you were the one who told me to follow what’s in here.” Charlie said as she hit her chest. “So I don’t really understand this sudden change in attitude with you.”

“It’s too hard. Seeing you with him. He’s not right for you anymore. You deserve better than him and I thought....I thought I was going to get that chance.” Brax said. “But now....well I guess not.”

Charlie shook her head. “You can’t tell me to follow my heart and then get mad when I don’t choose you. Brax I.....Connor deserves his parents together. I love Angelo and I want to try to forgive him, and try again at being a family. I thought you would support me. You said you would. You said were my friend and I should do what I thought was right. Well this is it,” Charlie said. “Getting back with Angelo is what I think is right.”

“Right for who, Charlie?” Brax questioned. “For you? Nah,” Brax shook his head. “Getting back with Angelo would be a mistake for you. Maybe for Connor, yeah, it would be good and his parents would be together, but after all that he has done and said, is it really the right thing for you?” Brax said. “Now if you excuse me, I have a table to serve.” Brax said before he stormed off to the kitchen. Charlie exhaled lightly as she turned around and looked at the table, Connor’s face lighting up as Angelo was talking to him, but as Charlie looked to Angelo, and felt love, now that she saw him again, she wasn’t sure what kind of love she felt for him anymore, but she knew she deserved to be happy, and believed that if they were supposed to be together, that that love would be able to be found again.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone. :wub:

Angelo was putting Connor to bed, so that left Charlie and Carla down the stairs. “Charlie, can I ask you something?” Carla questioned as she took a seat next to her.

“Sure,” Charlie said. “What’s up?” Charlie asked intrigued as to what Carla was about to say.

“That man in the restaurant. Is he more than just your friend?” Carla questioned. Sensing it was best just to get to the point.

“Brax?” Charlie questioned. “No, he’s just a friend. Why?” Charlie questioned.

“The way you were looking at him,” Carla replied. “I remember back when you and Angelo were young and first starting out. That’s exactly how you looked at my boy.”

Charlie was surprised by Carla’s comment. “Look, I....I like Brax okay, but Angelo...he is the father of my kids and I love him. I want to try to make us work.”

“Do you really?” Carla questioned. “Or are you just saying this to try to convince yourself? Look, of course I want you to stay with my son. Not only do you make Angelo happy, but you are like the daughter I never had, which is why I want you to be happy too, and if staying with Angelo isn’t going to bring you that then....you can’t do it.”

“I love him and we can find what we once had again, I know we can,” Charlie said, trying to sound as positive as she could. “You’ll see.”

“Look, if you want to try I’m not going to stop you, but I highly doubt that you are going to work if you have feelings for someone else, and I don’t want to see my boy hurt, so please just spare him the heartache now.” Carla said.

“And don’t you think I’ll hurt him if I tell him I’ve changed my mind and don’t want to be with him at all anymore?” Charlie questioned. “Carla, I love Angelo and I want to make it work with us. Why can’t you just accept that?”

“I would if I thought it was what you really wanted. But I don’t think it is anymore and I love you and I want you to be happy. You deserve that after all that’s happened.” Carla smiled lightly as she rubbed Charlie’s arm. “And as much as it pains me to think you would be happier with someone other than my son, you have to do what you think it right not only for Connor, but for you.”

“It seems like you don’t want me to be with Angelo.” Charlie sighed.

“Of course I do, but I just don’t think it’s what you want anymore,” Carla said as she looked in the direction of the stairs and saw Angelo walking down them. “Well anyways, I’ll head back to Angelo’s place and I’ll leave you two to talk.” Carla said as she stood to her feet, Charlie remaining on the couch thinking about what Carla had said. Angelo handed Carla his keys, before Carla left the house and Angelo walked over to the couch and took a seat next to Charlie.

“So apparently I don’t do animal voices as good as mummy.” Angelo laughed lightly as he looked around to Charlie.

“Well when you’ve been doing it on your own for the past 4 months you kind of get the hang of it.” Charlie replied.

“Hey, he stayed at my place 2 nights a week most of the time.” Angelo replied, offended.

“Did you read him a story?” Charlie questioned.

“Okay, point taken,” Angelo sighed. “But I‘m sorted out now, and I promise I’ll be around for him. I’m going to be the best father I can be to him.”

“Good, because it’s the least that he deserves,” Charlie said as she tucked her hair behind her ears. “Don’t go letting him down this time.”

“I won’t, Charlie, I promise,” Angelo said. “I’ve surely shown you tonight that I’m trying hard to win him over again, haven’t I?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “But I’m just wondering if you are doing this because you want to have a relationship with your son, or because you just want to get back with me.”

“The former, clearly,” Angelo exhaled. “Yeah I want us to try again, but I would never use Connor like that to get to you.”

Charlie looked into Angelo’s eyes and was pretty certain he was being sincere. Angelo smiled as he too looked into Charlie’s expressive, stunning, blue eyes. He smiled lightly as he cupped his hand around her cheek and rubbed it gently with his thumb. Charlie bit her lip as she could see Angelo moving his head forward, leaning in for a kiss. She exhaled lightly before moving her lips closer to his, the kiss starting off softly, but getting deeper quickly. “Mmm, wait,” Charlie shook her head as she pulled back. “I said not until you’ve proved it to me with Connor,” Charlie said quietly. “But...just....let me try that again.” Charlie said before once again sharing a kiss with Angelo. “I’m sorry,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s gone.”

“Whats gone?” Angelo asked, confused.

“The spark that we had,” Charlie answered. “It’s no longer there. I don’t feel like I used to when we kissed.”

“Well we’ve haven’t done anything in over four months,” Angelo answered. “Of course it’s not going to be the same right away.”

“It should be,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “If we really still loved each other...I....I would feel something when we kissed.”

“But you don’t?” Angelo questioned as Charlie shook her head. “But it could come back. As I say we’ve been separated for -”

“I’m sorry,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she shook her head. “I don’t think it will.”

“So that’s it, you just don’t love me anymore?” Angelo questioned, feeling himself welling up.

“Of course I love you,” Charlie said. “I’m always going to love you. You gave me Connor and Lily. You gave me my kids and I’ll always love you for that, but I know now that I’m not in love with you anymore and there’s a difference,” Charlie sniffed back. “I’m sorry but we’ll never work together again.”

“We could. You fell in love with me once, you can do it again,” Angelo said. “Charlie we had something great and I don’t want it to be over,” Angelo took Charlie’s hand as he spoke, desperately hoping that she would change her mind and give him another chance. “I still love you so much. Please just give me another chance.”

“I can’t,” Charlie exhaled. “It wouldn’t be fair on me if I was to be with you when I didn’t love you and it wouldn’t be fair for you either. You deserve someone who loves you, Angelo, and I’m sorry but it’s not me.”

“And if I didn’t leave you, if I didn’t blame Connor, you’d still love me right now, right?”

“Probably,” Charlie sniffed back. “But there’s not point talking about the what if’s or if this didn’t happen, because it did and we can’t change it.” Charlie said. “I’m really sorry if I led to you to believe something could happen with us and it hasn’t but I’ve realised it not what I want.”

Angelo nodded his head lightly, saddened that it seemed his marriage truly was over. “So then I guess this divorce is no longer on hold?” Angelo questioned. “You’ll be wanting it over as soon as so you can shack up with Brax?”

“This isn’t about Brax, and there’s nothing between us right now before you start jumping to conclusions,” Charlie said. “But yeah, I guess we should just continue on with this divorce.”

“Well I’m going to head home,” Angelo said as he stood up from the couch, wiping a tear from his eye. “I’ll be in touch about seeing Connor.” Angelo said before he walked out of the house, slamming the front door shut behind him, leaving Charlie sitting on the couch, as tears streamed down her face.

Chapter 43

“So, how have you been?” Charlie questioned as she looked awkwardly at Angelo, who was standing close to the door, his arms folded across his chest.

“Like you care.” Angelo sniggered.

“Of course I care. I love you Angelo.” Charlie pursed her lips together as she folded her arms across her chest. “Despite what you may think of me now, I do love you and I want to know that you are happy.”

“Yeah, you love me. You’re just not in love with me.” Angelo rolled his eyes. “Tell me, Charlie, how do you fall out of love so quick? Come Monday afternoon you were saying you were still in love with me. At least that’s how I saw it and then a few hours later and sneaky little chat with the guy you say you aren’t sleeping with and bam. I don’t love you or want to be with you anymore.”

“I’m not sleeping with Brax,” Charlie sighed. “And I thought that I still loved you, but then your mum.…watching you with our son, I have love for you but it’s only as the father of my kids. I’m sorry but I’m not in love with you anymore.”

“My mum what?” Angelo questioned. “What about her?”

“Nothing it doesn’t matter,” Charlie shook her head, not wanting to cause bother for Carla. “I’m sorry that I hurt you, but you know what, this is all your own doing because you hurt me first.”

Angelo laughed loudly. “Poor little Charlie. Can’t ever take the blame for her marriage falling apart.”

“You’re the only one who walked out. I tried to keep us together after Lily died, but you seemed determined to ruin us. If anything I’d have thought that you fell out of love with me.”

“Never,” Angelo shook his head. “I will never stop being in love with you and you are breaking my heart just a little more each day.”

Charlie bit her lip. “And I’m sorry, because the last thing I want to do is hurt you, but I also deserve myself to be happy and I don’t believe that that is with you anymore.” Angelo exhaled lightly and went to reply, but stopped as he heard footsteps on the stairs and saw Connor appear at the bottom. “Hey squirt is that you all ready to go to daddy’s?” Charlie and Angelo had decided for now, that they would keep Angelo’s access of Connor the same. Wednesday and Saturdays being the days that he would go to his place and spend the night, until it was sorted by the courts as they finalized their divorce. Connor shook his head as he looked down to the ground, his bottom lip sticking out, and his eyes watering, as he started to cry. “Hey bud,” Charlie walked forward and lifted her son up and into her arms. Connor wrapped his arms around her tightly, nestling his head against her neck. “What’s wrong sweetheart?”

“I don’t….I don’t want….” Connor breathed heavily between his tears.

“Hey, stop being silly.” Charlie rubbed his back as he pulled his head back and looked up at her. She walked over to the couch and sat him on the top of it, wrapping her arms around his waist to stop him from falling.

“C’mon Connor big boys don’t cry.” Angelo said as he walked closer to his son. “What’s this for?” Angelo rubbed the tears from his son’s eyes as he spoke.

“I just want to sleep in this house with mummy.” Connor answered quietly as he sniffed back his tears.

“Aww don’t you want to stay with daddy? It’ll be lots of fun,” Charlie smiled as she rubbed the back of his head. “Isn’t that right dad?” Charlie looked up to Angelo questioningly.

“Of course we would have fun, but I don’t want to push him into anything he doesn’t want to do,” Angelo sighed. “Right now my main priority is making him happy.”

“I still want to go play with daddy,” Connor said. “I just don’t want to sleep at his house.”

“That’s okay; you don’t need to sleep at daddy’s right away.” Angelo said as Charlie put him down on the ground and he ran over to the coffee table and pulled out a few tissues from the tissue box.

“You’re not mad?” Connor asked as he looked up at him.

“Of course not squirt,” Angelo smiled lightly, trying to hide his disappointment, but Charlie could see that this did bother him. “You just do what you want, and if you ever do want to sleep at daddy’s you just let me know and I’d love to have you.”

“Maybe one day,” Connor answered quietly. “Not soon though.”

“Right come and give mummy a hug.” Charlie smiled as she bent down and Connor ran into her arms, placing a kiss on her cheek.

“See you soon mummy.” Connor said before walking over to Angelo.

“Be good for daddy and have a good time, okay.” Charlie smiled before looking back up to Angelo.

“If I bring him home at 8 then? Just for bedtime or?” Angelo scratched the side of his head.

“Can you make it 7.30,” Charlie answered. “He needs a bath tonight.”

“See you at 7.30 then.” Angelo said before walking out of the house with his son.

“So, Tony and I know that you don’t want to be involved much with the baby, but, well, sorry, no, of course you need to be involved I mean you need to carry the child and give birth to it, but well I mean -”

“Rach.” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “What are you trying to say?”

“We wanted to ask you if you wanted to pick out the middle name for the child,” Rachel smiled lightly as she leaned forward and rubbed Ruby's arm. “We’d always love to think you were a part of him.”

“Well he kinda will always share my DNA, so isn’t that always going to remind you that he’s a part of me?” Ruby questioned.

“Well yeah, but....” Tony trailed off. “Look, we don’t know how to go about this Rubes. We’re just trying to keep things comfortable between us.”

“Trying?” Ruby questioned. “As far as I am aware it’s still comfortable.”

“Yeah and we want to keep it that way,” Rachel smiled. “Once the baby gets here we are going to be wrapped up in the new-born and we don’t want to feel like we are pushing you out by making all the decisions.”

“But these are your decisions to make,” Ruby sighed as frustration grew inside her. “This is your baby, so the names, first and middle, are yours to choose. Where she goes to school, how much candy she’s allowed, if she’s allowed a pony or a rabbit. They won’t be my choices to make,” Ruby shook her head as she tried desperately to push back tears from her eyes. “They are all the choices of the parents and mum and dad to this baby is you two. So I don’t want to choose anything,” Ruby shook her head. “If I could I would take this baby from me right now and let her grow inside you, but I can’t, so all I ask as the woman who is carrying your child is that you never ask me anything about this child and her life once she is born. All the decisions are to be made by you,” Ruby voice was getting higher as she shouted to Tony and Rachel. “Do you understand that that is what I want?”

“Yeah.” Tony nodded as he moved forward in the chair to comfort her but Ruby pulled back as she stood up.

“Okay, well I am just going to go out for a while.” Ruby once again held back the tears as she spoke, before running over to the door and running away from the house.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 44

Charlie changed into a pair of sweats and a singlet, before walking through to Lily’s bedroom. She pursed her lips together as she ran her hand across the border with the pink dancing teddies on. The room looked so different with a lack of furniture, but Charlie knew it needed to be changed. She picked up the wallpaper scraper and started to scrape at the paper before she threw some down into a black bag. It was then when the doorbell rang. She sighed lightly thinking about ignoring it, but the bell just kept ringing, whoever it was, wasn’t going to give up. She exhaled lightly as she threw the scraper down and walked down the stairs, screwing her face up at the constant ringing of the bell. “Okay, okay I am coming,” Charlie said as she opened the door to see Ruby standing, tears falling down her face. “Rubes,” Charlie held her arms out as Ruby fell into them. “Come in.” Charlie said as she walked back, pulling Ruby into the house. She closed the door and turned back around, and faced Ruby.

“I’m sorry, I...” Ruby cried as Charlie took Ruby’s hand and walked over to the couch where they took a seat.

“You don’t need to be sorry,” Charlie shook her head as she tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear. “What’s wrong?”

“Tony and Rachel,” Ruby wiped away her tears. “They’ve asked me to pick the middle name out for the baby and I don’t want too. I don’t want to be involved in any way. They have to realise how hard this is for me, and the one thing I ask is to not be involved in anything.”

“This is hard for everyone,” Charlie said as she pursed her lips together. “I’m finding this really hard to deal with so I can’t imagine how hard you are finding this.” Charlie rubbed her daughters arm.

“Can you talk to her for me?” Ruby questioned. “Tell her that I don’t want to have any sort of involvement because she’s not listening to me.”

“I haven’t really spoken to her much since you said she would be adopting the baby,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “I’ve kind of been avoiding her.”

“Why?” Ruby questioned. “Charlie, you and her are great friends. Don’t let it suffer.”

Charlie sniggered. “Of course it’s going to suffer. She’s going to take away my rights as grandma.”

“Well that’s not really true,” Ruby sighed. “I’m the one who is doing that.”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked down. “Are you sure this is what you really want?” Charlie asked tentatively.

“Charlie,” Ruby sighed, feeling frustrated. “Yes, it’s what I want.”

“Okay,” Charlie sighed. “I eh....I can’t promise anything, but if I run into Rachel I’ll talk to her.”

“Thanks,” Ruby smiled. “So, what’s on today for you? Where’s Connor?”

“He’s out with Angelo,” Charlie answered. “He came and picked him up after school.”

“Well let’s hope he is going to be a good father to him again,” Ruby said as she saw Charlie looking like she was going to cry. “Hey, you okay?” Ruby rubbed Charlie’s arm.

“Yeah,” Charlie sniffed back. “I just hate how life has turned out for him. This time last year he had his parents together and a new baby sister to love him. One year on and Lily’s gone and me and Angelo are split-up. It’s not fair.”

“Well I know I can never replace Lily, but he’s got his big sister back,” Ruby said tentatively. “And he still has two parents who love him so much,” Ruby smiled lightly as she once again rubbed Charlie’s arm comfortingly. “And that’s more than a lot of kids have these days. Okay, he is getting to spend time with both of his parents and you never know, maybe one day he’ll have a step-mum, and stepdad, more brothers and sisters.”

“Not from me he won’t.” Charlie shook her head.

“The step-dad or the brother or sister?” Ruby questioned.

“Both,” Charlie answered. “I can’t even think about having another child right now. As for dating...” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “Well the bay isn’t exactly crawling with hot available men, is it?”

“No, it’s not,” Ruby shook her head. “But I do recall one man that you seem to be into and I’m pretty sure he likes you too.”

“Nah, I’ve ruined it with him,” Charlie sighed as she thought about Brax. “But Connor is my life right now. And you of course, but Connor is still so young and he needs -”

“I know,” Ruby smiled lightly. “Still, it would be nice to think that one day you could meet someone and settle down.”

“Yeah,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “Look, I was just getting started to taking down the wallpaper from Lily’s room. Do you want to hang around and help?” Charlie questioned as she stood up from the couch and looked down at Ruby.

“Sure.” Ruby smiled as she stood up and followed Charlie up the stairs to the room.

Connor was sitting in the café, along with Angelo. He pulled his chocolate milkshake closer to him and put the straw in his mouth, taking a drink. “Do you like chocolate milkshakes dad?”

“Yeah, I do. But I’ll just stick with my coffee today.” Angelo answered.

“Eugh, coffee is yucky.” Connor screwed his face up.

“Oh and you’ve tried coffee have you?” Angelo laughed as he added a splash of cold milk to his Americano.

“No but it smells phooey,” Connor pinched his nose. “But mummy loves her coffee,” Connor nodded his head. “She drinks it lots.”

“She sure does,” Angelo laughed. “So buddy what do you want do after this drink?” Angelo asked. “We could go to the movies. Madagascar 3 is out, you love Madagascar don’t you?”

“I’ve see that,” Connor answered. “Mummy and Darryl tooked me.”

“Darryl hey?” Angelo questioned. “You know daddy doesn't like you talking with him.”

“Mummy said it’s okay,” Connor nodded. “He’s mummy boyfriend.”

“Oh he is?” Angelo asked and Connor nodded his head.

“Yup,” Connor nodded. “Darryl is real nice daddy. You should just be friends with him.”

“Hmm,” Angelo exhaled. “I’m not so sure.”

“No he is,” Connor insisted. “You should all just be friends together. Mummy, Darryl and you.”

“Not going to happen squirt.” Angelo shook his head.

Connor furrowed his eyebrows. “Well Darryl said he would take me and mummy bowling. I can’t wait to go.”

“Oh and when did he say this?” Angelo folded his arms across his chest as he sat back in the chair, eager to hear more.

“When we was at the movies,” Connor answered. “I think it’s soon that we are going.”

“Well how about daddy takes you bowling?” Angelo questioned. “That way you don’t need to go with Darryl.”

“No daddy,” Connor shook his head. “I want to go with mummy and Darryl.”

“We could go right now,” Angelo smiled. “It would be fun would it not?”

“Daddy the city is too far today.” Connor sighed as he waved his hands out, frustrated at him.

“Right then, well what would you like to do today?” Angelo asked, putting the whole Darryl is mummy’s boyfriend and he was going to take them bowling aside for now.

“Uhm....the park?” Connor questioned. “Play on the swings. Then can we go to the diner for some dinner?”

“We can go to the park, but grandma is cooking us lasagne for dinner, so we’ll be going back to my place to eat.” Angelo informed him.

“Oh, okay,” Connor sighed lightly before taking another drink of his milkshake. “Grandma can cook good.” Connor smiled. “Oh daddy my grandma Morag was here on the weekend. She went home on Monday morning.”

“Ah I bet it nice to see her again.” Angelo said and Connor nodded.

“Yeah real nice.” Connor smiled. “I love grandma Morag.”

“I’m sure she loves you too buddy.” Angelo smiled. “And you know that daddy and mummy both love you very much too right?”

“Uh-huh,” Connor nodded. “I knows mummy does. So much lots. She’s the best.”

“She sure is.” Angelo smiled as he played with his wedding ring. Although he was the one who walked out on Charlie, he was yet to take it off. To him Charlie was the best and he wasn’t sure if he was ready to let her go just yet.

Thanks everyone. :wub: Hope this one is okay.... :unsure:

Chapter 45

Charlie and Ruby were now in the diner. Having spent the afternoon in Lily’s room Charlie said she would treat Ruby to some dinner. “So, you got anything planned for this week?” Charlie questioned.

“Just working,” Ruby exhaled. “Seeing Romeo probably.”

“Ahh,” Charlie smiled. “How’s it going with young Romeo?”

“It’s good,” Ruby smiled. “You know, we’re taking it slow.”

“Probably for the best,” Charlie answered. “Both of your previous relationships ended badly and you’re still young.”

“Yeah,” Ruby agreed. “But being around him is just....it feels so right you know, like we were made to be together.” Ruby smiled as she played with the straw from her drink. “It’s nice.”

“Well I’m glad you’re happy,” Charlie said. “You deserve it.”

Ruby smiled lightly at Charlie as she saw Brax walking into the diner. “Not the only one who deserves to be happy.” Ruby said and Charlie exhaled lightly as she turned her head and saw Brax. She gave him a weak smile but he looked away and faced the counter.

“Told you I’d ruined it with him.” Charlie exhaled lightly as she turned to face Ruby again.

“Okay, so why exactly?” Ruby questioned. “You’re single, he’s single....what have you done to ruin it?”

Charlie pursed her lips together. “I let him believe that we would end up together eventually, once I’d gotten over all this stuff with Angelo and fell out of love with him, but then he had to find out that I decided to give things with Angelo another go, in a not so very nice way.”

“But...” Ruby screwed her face up, confused. “You and Angelo aren’t getting back together?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “But he doesn’t know that yet.”

“For goodness sake, Charlie, go and tell him that then,” Ruby sighed. “He’s never going to know otherwise, and Angelo’s probably just going to wind him up when he goes back to work.”

“I know, but...” Charlie exhaled lightly as she lowered her voice. “It’s more than just moving on to the next boyfriend. Angelo, he was...” Charlie trailed off. “Angelo’s the first man I’ve ever...you know.” Charlie whispered as she raised her eyebrows.

“Oh,” Ruby widened her eyes. “Wow it eh....it took you a long time to get over the.....what my dad did to you.”

Charlie nodded her head. “I was only 13 when it happened. I was so young and I got a child from it, I just....I couldn’t think about sex for a long time. I threw myself back into school, then uni then I joined the police force. I was 21 before I got a boyfriend and he was lovely, but, for some reason I just didn’t want to go there with him. So, after 2 years, he got fed up of waiting and broke up with me. Then just before I turned 24, this new junior officer started at the station and it was Angelo. We became great friends and then we started dating. It took me a long time, almost a year before I felt ready to be with him in that way. He was so sweet and he was the first man that I think I’ve ever truly loved. He helped me so much in terms of being able to let go of what happened and see that not all men were the same,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “So it’s more than just letting go of an ex, he helped me become the strong person that I am today,” Ruby pursed her lips together as she tried to understand how much this had affected her mother. “I feel safe with Angelo and it scares me to think that I now have to find that with someone else, that I have to learn to love someone and trust them to be with me. I’m scared.”

“You know there will be more Angelo’s,” Ruby exhaled lightly. She did feel for her mother and understood exactly what she was going through, as right now, she felt the very same, trusting and being with a guy intimately was going to be something that was hard for her, and although she really liked and did trust Romeo to an extent, but she just wasn’t sure right now, if he was going to be one that she would take that step with. “And it seems like Brax is a decent guy.”

“I know, but if it wasn’t for Angelo, goodness knows how I’d be right now. He was the one who got me to go to counselling, okay, he was such an important part in my life and I just....I’m sad that we didn’t work out and although I’m pretty sure I don’t want to be with him anymore, I still know that I’m not ready to move on.”

“Well it’ll happen when it’s supposed to, I guess,” Ruby exhaled. “Charlie, do you think it’ll be the same for everyone?”

“What?” Charlie questioned kind if confused by Ruby’s question.

“The not having sex after rape thing,” Ruby whispered. “Me and Romeo....we haven’t....I told him I’m not ready,” Ruby shook her head. “What if it takes me the best part of 10 years too?”

Charlie shook her head. “You’re a lot more together than I was, and I think your age is a help. You’re an adult and you’d had sex before Lee,” Charlie exhaled. “It’s understandable that you feel scared, God knows how scared I was, but you’ve been to a counsellor and you’re going to continue going, I think?” Charlie said questioningly and Ruby nodded her head. “So, I think that was my mistake. You’re getting help and I didn’t for a long long time.”

“And you think I’m being reasonable asking Romeo to wait?” Ruby questioned.

“Of course,” Charlie nodded. “And Romeo is the sweetest boy,” Charlie smiled. “You’ve lucked out finding him.”

Ruby smiled lightly. “And you could luck out too,” Ruby said as she looked up to Brax, who was paying for his take-away chicken wrap and coffee. “It’s not too late to even repair your friendship for now.”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she watched him walking out of the diner. She pursed her lips together and was about to stand up when Irene walked over with their meals. “Sorry about the wait, we’ve been non-stop all night.” Irene said quickly before she walked quickly back up to the kitchen. Charlie sighed lightly before she began to eat her dinner.

“I’m done,” Connor said as he put his knife and fork down on the plate. “It was yummy, thanks grandma.”

“You’re welcome, Connor,” Carla smiled. “Can I get you any ice-cream?”

“Do you have mint choc chip?” Connor questioned.

“Sorry mate,” Angelo shook his head. “We have Neapolitan though. Strawberry, chocolate and vanilla all in one, you like that don’t you? Chocolate especially.”

“No,” Connor shook his head. “My mind changed so I like mint stuff now.”

“Sorry mate, I didn’t know,” Angelo shook his head. “I’ll get some in for the next time.”

“Okay,” Connor smiled. “Can I go home now then?”

“It’s only 6.30,” Angelo answered. “You don’t need to go home till 7.30. I thought maybe we could play on the Xbox.”

“My Xbox is at home silly.” Connor answered.

“Ah, well, daddy bought one to have here so we could play when you came over.” Angelo smiled.

“Wow really?” Connors little eyes lit up as he jumped from the table and ran over to the living room, where he knelt down in front of the Xbox. Angelo followed him across, leaving Carla to do the dinner dishes.

“So what game do you want to play?” Angelo asked as he knelt down next to his son.

“Uhm....” Connor looked through the pile, discarding sonic mega collection, super monkey ball, lego star wars and fishing frenzy. He sighed lightly before looking up to Angelo. “Don’t you have a soccer one?”

“I don’t yet bud. These were the games I got with the Xbox, and I bought the fishing one. I thought that would be fun to play.”

“I don’t like fishing,” Connor sighed. “You knows I love soccer.”

“I know, but it was expensive to buy squirt, so I can get the soccer game the next time.” Angelo answered as he rubbed his head.

“Promise?” Connor questioned.

“Yeah,” Angelo nodded. “Now, if you just gave fishing a chance, I think you and me could have lots of fun out on the lake.”

“No,” Connor shouted, frustrated. “Daddy I don’t want to fish.”

“Okay, how about we play super monkey ball?” Angelo questioned. “You have that game at mummy’s house, do you not?”

“Yeah,” Connor answered. “It’s fun.”

“So, we’ll play that then?” Angelo questioned as he picked the game up opened up the box to put it into the Xbox.

“No,” Connor shook his head. “Daddy, I want to go home now.”

Angelo exhaled lightly as he nodded. “Okay, go and say goodbye to grandma.” Angelo stood up from the floor and watched as Connor went to hug his grandma goodbye. He took a deep breath as he knew it was going to be a lot of hard work to get Connor to want to spend more time with him again.

Chapter 46

Charlie and Ruby walked out of the diner, and started walking back in the direction of Charlie’s house. Ruby gestured for Charlie to look over to the beach, and it was there she saw Brax, sitting, looking out to the ocean. “Go talk to him,” Ruby said as she rubbed Charlie’s arm. “I’m heading home anyways. See you soon though yeah?” Ruby questioned and Charlie nodded her head as she gave Ruby a hug goodbye. She stood and watched as Ruby walked away before taking a deep breath and walking down the beach and standing next to Brax.

“Mind if I join you?” Charlie questioned. Brax looked up at her and exhaled before he gave a gentle nod. “Is that a nod as in you do mind, or I can join you?”

“The latter,” Brax answered quietly. Charlie gave him a smile as she sat down next to him. “So you come to rub it in my face a little more that you don’t want to be with me?”

Charlie bit her lip. “Look, Brax, I’m sorry. I can see how that would have been a bit of a slap in the face. But Angelo and I, we…” Charlie trailed off as her mobile began to ring. “Sorry.” She pulled it from her pocket and looked down to see Angelo’s name flashing across the screen.

“There’s you dear husband now,” Brax quipped. “Best not keep him waiting.”

Charlie sighed lightly as she answered the call. “Hello…..hey sweetie…...yeah, I’ll be home soon…..okay…..I missed you and love you too…..okay…bye.” Charlie hung up the phone and looked at Brax to see him shaking his head at her.

“Thanks for holding back with the lovey dovey talk on my account.”

“It was Connor,” Charlie raised her voice. “He spent the afternoon with his dad and said he was on his way home now so was just checking I was home.”

“Oh, sorry,” Brax said quietly. “I eh -”

“You know I don’t think I deserve all this attitude from you. Yeah I said maybe one day things could happen for us, but so far nothing had. It’s not as if we were in a relationship and I cheated on you with him. Angelo is my husband and I am always going to have a connection with him and feel love for him, as the father of my kids. He gave me Connor and my precious little Lily. If you can’t handle that there’s always going to be something with me and Angelo then we are never going to work together.”

“Doesn’t matter though, does it?” Brax asked. “I mean, you’re not going to be with me, you are back with him.”

“I’m not,” Charlie shook her head, frustrated. “I never said I was. You just assumed it, and yeah I told you I wanted to try again with him, but Carla made me see something so now Angelo and I….we’re not going to happen again.”

Brax let a smile form on his face. “So you’re not getting back with him?”

“That’s what I just said.” Charlie answered.

“I’ve not completed ruined my chances, have I?” Brax questioned the smile still present on his face.

Charlie shrugged her shoulders. “Now I’ve seen you all jealous I don’t know if we could work. You and Angelo hate each other, but you need to understand and be okay with the fact that Angelo is always going to be in my life. We have a son to raise together. And I also don’t want to be stuck in the middle of your two’s constant arguing and Connor doesn’t need that either. He doesn’t need either of you feeding him bad information about each other, using him against each other and I’m scared that’s what’s going to happen.”

“It’ll be hard because it sure can be fun to wind him up, but I’ll try and stop, because you’re right. You and Connor don’t deserve that,” Brax exhaled lightly as he ran his hand though the sand. “But you need to tell that to Angelo too.”

“I know, and I would,” Charlie answered. “But like I said the other week, I’m still not ready to move into a new relationship.”

Brax exhaled lightly as Charlie noticed the look of disappointment on his face. “We can do this whole friends thing again though right?”

“If you think you can just be friends with me for now.” Charlie answered.

“Relationship can often develop from friendship,” Brax smiled. “And we both want it too, eventually, right?”

“I think so,” Charlie nodded lightly. “Yeah.”

Brax and Charlie exchanged a friendly glance. “Well then, my friend, are we still on for this bowling trip on Saturday?”

“Oh, I totally forgot about that.” Charlie answered.

“I’m offended. How could you forget a day out with me?” Brax mocked offence and Charlie laughed lightly. “Bet Connor hasn’t forgotten.”

“No, I bet not,” Charlie answered. “Speaking of Connor, I better get home for him.”

“Okay, see you on Saturday if I don’t see you before.” Brax smiled as Charlie stood to her feet and wiped her self free of sand.

“Yeah, bye.” Charlie smiled as she walked off the beach, looking back to see Brax was still watching her, a smile present on his face. She exhaled lightly as continued walking. She liked Brax, there was no doubt about it and only hoped that soon, she would feel ready to give someone else the opportunity to gain her trust.

“Mummy,” Charlie walked up the driveway of her house as Connor ran down and jumped into her arms. “I miss you too much.”

“You were only away for a few hours,” Charlie answered as she put Connor on the ground and he took her hand as they walked up the drive and over to the front door. Charlie pulled the key from her pocket and unlocked the door and Connor ran into the house, with Charlie and Angelo following. “So, you brought him home early.” Charlie turned to face Angelo as she spoke.

“He wanted to come home,” Angelo answered. “So I gotta give him what he wants to keep him happy right?”

“Well as long as you are okay with that.”

“Like I say, he’s happy,” Angelo exhaled as he watched Connor pulling his shoes from his feet. “Hey, squirt, why don’t you go up the stairs, I’m guessing it’s bath time soon so you can get yourself sorted for that."

Connor looked up to Angelo and furrowed his eyebrows before doing as he was told. “So, why did you get rid of him?” Charlie asked as she screwed her face up, confused.

“He tells me Darryl is mummy’s boyfriend.” Angelo exhaled. “Don’t take long to move on, do you.”

“Brax and I are just friends,” Charlie answered. “He just means he is a boy that is my friend.”

“Sorry if I have trouble believing you.” Angelo sniggered.

“Believe what you want, Angelo. I don’t really care,” Charlie sighed, sick of the whole Brax Angelo enemy’s thing. “We are only friends and yeah maybe one day it’ll be something more. And both of you will learn how to get along, for Connor if no one else.”

“Tell that to -”

“He knows,” Charlie butted in, knowing what Angelo was about to say. “It’s up to me who I date in the future, but, you know how much I appreciate what you did for me in terms of dating and, I’m not ready to move on yet, okay, so just, stop pestering me about who I’m dating.”

“Sorry,” Angelo sighed. “And I only hope that when you do date again it’s with someone better than Brax. Well no, I hope it’s me, but…” Angelo trailed off. “Look, I’ll go, let you get him bathed. But I’ll be here for him at 9 on Saturday?” Angelo said.

“Oh about Saturday,” Charlie said. “Can I possibly have him this Saturday?”

“Why, so you can go bowling with Brax?” Angelo questioned and Charlie looked surprised. “Connor told me he was taking him soon, so I’m guessing thats why you want him?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “You can have him Friday instead.”

“No good, I’m working on Friday,” Angelo shook his head. “I thought we agreed on this.”

“We did, but, you weren’t exactly being the world’s best father and then you went off to Melbourne so….”

“Well I’m here now. And Saturday’s, I’m afraid, are my day.” Angelo answered.

“Surely if he’s told you he’s going bowling with us then you can see how excited he is. I thought you wanted to make him happy?” Charlie questioned.

“Well I do, but happy with me and you, not Brax, so sorry, but I want to see my son on the day arranged.”

“Arranged by who?” Charlie questioned. “It’s not as if it’s ordered by the courts. We came to this arrangement ourselves and I’m asking you please, just this once, to change it.”

“Best keeping Connor in a routine, don’t you think?” Angelo questioned as he walked over to the door. “So, I’ll see you Saturday at 9.”

“You know I can take him if I want,” Charlie said. She felt bad, she didn’t want to do things this way, but it seemed Angelo wasn’t leaving her with a choice. “Nothing orders him to be with you on Saturdays.” Angelo sniggered as he turned back to face Charlie. “Or better yet, how about we just ask Connor what he wants to do? Although I’m pretty certain we both know what he’d pick.”

Angelo exhaled lightly as he shook his head. “Okay, fine. We’ll play it your way.”

“Thank you.” Charlie smiled lightly.

“My pleasure.” Angelo said, before walking out of the house, a smug grin on his face as he thought of a way to stop this bowling trip from happening.

“Mummy I’m ready,” Connor ran back down the stairs. “I got my bath toys I want and got my jammies in the bathroom ready for when I’m done.”

“Good.” Charlie smiled as she walked over to the bottom of the stairs and walked up with her son, a small part of her already looking forward to Saturday.

Okay, so thank you all so much for commenting. I really dont like this chapter, and I am feeling a little lost at the moment. I know what I want to happen, but it's just finding the best way of getting it into a story I am struggling with at the moment. Hopefully this doesnt disappoint and soon I will be sorted with getting this written.

Chapter 47

Brax was standing in the restaurant, looking down at the roster. He shook his head lightly, before looking up to Angelo. “Angelo, what’s going on here?” Brax noticed that although Dave had given it the okay for him to have Saturday off, he seemed to be down for working.

“I made some changes to the roster,” Angelo answered. “I’m expecting it to be busy this Saturday so I need you to be working.”

“But I need the day off,” Brax exhaled. “I have plans and Dave already said that I can take it off.”

“Well Dave isn’t the boss.” Angelo replied.

“Look, I’m sorry; you’ll have to find someone else. I have plans.” Brax said.

“Yeah, plans with my wife and son,” Angelo shook his head. “And I’m not going to let you come in and just take them away from me, you got that?” Angelo spoke smugly as he walked closer to Brax.

Brax gave a little laugh. “She doesn’t love you anymore,” Brax shook his head. “If you love her, then let her go. Let her be happy. God knows she deserves that.”

“And what about my boy?” Angelo questioned. “Do I just step back and watch as you take over as father?”

“I’m not trying to be his father,” Brax answered. “Unfortunately for him, you are always going to be daddy and I don’t ever intend on taking that role from you. He needs his father. But I would be privileged to be in his life. He’s a great kid, so don’t screw it up anymore than you already have done. Step up and start being a father to him again.”

“Don’t tell me what to do,” Angelo spat. “I know I screwed up with Connor and I’m going to make it up to him now, but it would be a lot easier to do that if you weren’t around. I don’t want to have to compete with you for his love. Charlie and Connor belong with me and in the end, I’ll win. I know it. So save yourself the heartache now and just get over this crush. Leave Charlie for me.”

Brax sniggered. “Why don’t you just let Charlie decide who she wants to be with?” Brax questioned. “She told you she doesn’t want to be with you. Let it go, it’s over.”

Angelo shook his head. “You’re a fool if you think she will fall for you. I know her; I know how hard it was for her to open up to me, to learn to trust guys. We have a special connection and that’s something you will never get with her.”

“Well like I say, it’s not your choice to make, so we’ll leave who she wants to be with up to Charlie.” Brax said before walking away from the bar, and making his way to the door.

“You’re still working on Saturday.” Angelo shouted and Brax shook his head as he turned around.

“You think making me work will stop us getting together?” Brax questioned. “Because you know I can just see her another time, right?”

“Well you’re work load might just get awfully busy.” Angelo smirked.

“You can’t do that.” Brax sighed as he rubbed his head.

“Can’t I?” Angelo questioned.

“Nah, cos I quit.” Brax said before turning around and walking out the restaurant.

“You know this is all your fault, right?” Charlie questioned. Bianca gave her a confused glance.

“Excuse me?”

“All this mess with Me, Angelo and Brax,” Charlie sighed. “You were the one who made me open up to my feelings for him. If you just stayed out of it, Brax wouldn’t ever know what I thought, giving me time to get over Angelo, or probably even giving things with him another chance.”

“Well sorry for caring,” Bianca sighed. “I just want you to be happy.”

“I know you do,” Charlie exhaled as she wrapped her hands around her coffee cup. “But, it’s just kinda made things worse now I know I have feelings for both of them.”

“I thought you said you didn’t love Angelo anymore?” Bianca questioned.

“I don’t,” Charlie answered. “But I still feel something for him. I mean, he’s the father of Connor and Lily. And we’ve been together for like 8 and a half years. Feelings just don’t go away over night.”

“I know,” Bianca smiled lightly. “And just stay single for a while and let yourself work out what you want to do.”

“That’s exactly what I am doing.” Charlie answered.

“So, are you putting the divorce on hold now or?” Bianca questioned as she took a biscuit from the tin that was sitting on the dinner table.

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s back on. Angelo and I are actually meeting at the courts tomorrow at 4. So who knows, maybe by this time tomorrow all will be sorted.” Charlie gave a wishful smile.

“Well hopefully it is soon anyway,” Bianca said.

“I’m not sure it will be,” Charlie shook her head. “Angelo doesn’t want this so I’m sure he will make it as difficult as possible for me.”

“Well let’s hope not, hey.” Bianca said. “Do you have anyone to watch Connor when you are there?”

“Carla is still here so she’s going to watch him.” Charlie answered.

“That’ll be nice. She doesn’t get to see him much.” Bianca said.

“No, she doesn’t,” Charlie sighed. “I feel so bad for him. His parents are divorcing, he hardly see’s his grandparents….I don’t want him to think he is unloved.”

“I don’t believe he feels that for a second,” Bianca said. “He knows he is loved by a lot of people. He adores you, Charlie. He wouldn’t say one bad word about his mummy and it’s very clear how much you love him.”

Charlie smiled weakly. “He’s my whole life. If I didn’t have Connor I…” Charlie trailed off. “It’s Angelo I’m worried about. He wasn’t much of a father to him lately and I know he said now he is going to try to change but….” Charlie shook her head. “Sometimes, as bad as it would be for Connor, sometimes I just think he’d be better off without Angelo.”

“I know what you mean, and I understand it, I do, but he does need his dad, so you need to let Angelo have that second chance with Connor at least.”

“I know, and I am,” Charlie said. “I just hope he doesn’t let Connor down this time,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “But we are just going to have to believe that he’ll keep his promise.” Charlie pursed her lips together. All she could do was hope Angelo would change. She was pretty sure that she didn’t want to go back there, and one day – hopefully soon – she would get together with Brax, but she knew he needed to be there for Connor.

Thanks everyone. Again, I don't like it. :( But hopefully you guys think its okay, and yeah...enjoy. :)

Chapter 48

“No no no,” Connor sighed. “Grandma, you need to move this one here to run and this one to pass, this one to shoot at goal.” Connor’s voice showed frustration. He didn’t understand how someone didn’t know how to play on the Xbox.

“I’m sorry dear, but grandma’s never played on this before,” Carla explained as she put the control down on the table. “How about we bake some cakes or play a board game instead?”

“Grandma,” Connor sighed. “This is what I want to do.”

“Well don’t you have an easier game?” Carla asked. “This soccer is awful complicated.”

“Well.....” Connor scratched the side of his head. “There is easier ones but you promised to play my favourite.”

“So I did,” Carla exhaled. “Well take it easy on me, okay, buddy.” Carla said and Connor shook his head before laughing.

“I will always play my best.” Connor answered. “Grandma, when is my mummy coming home?”

Carla looked down to her watch before looking to her young grandson. “I’m not sure sweetie.”

“My mum is the best in this whole world.” Connor nodded his head as he spoke. “She is grandma.”

“I’m sure she is.” Carla smiled down at Connor. That boy sure did think highly of his mother. It saddened her slightly that he didn’t ever talk about his father like that, but right now, she could understand it to an extent. The sounds of the doorbell made Carla stand to her feet, and Connor jumped down from the couch and ran after her.

“Hey,” Brax smiled as Carla opened the door. “Is Charlie home?”

“She’s out with Angelo at the moment,” Carla answered. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

“Oh eh -” Brax scratched the side of his head. Charlie had just told him that it was over between the two, so what was she doing out with him?

“Darryl,” Connor grinned. “You is good at it, will you play instead?”

“Play what buddy?” Brax answered as he smiled down at him.

“Soccer on Xbox,” Connor grinned. “Can you, please?”

Brax looked to Carla, as if asking for permission. “You’re that man from the bar, right?” Carla questioned. “The one Charlie is into.”

Brax exhaled as he rubbed the back of his head. “Yeah, that’s me.”

“You are a good looking man,” Carla smiled. “I can see why Charlie would like you.”

“Well thanks,” Brax blushed. “But I hope Charlie likes me for more than just my looks.” Brax said, all of a sudden feeling nervous. This woman was technically still Charlie’s mother-in-law right now and he wasn’t really sure how deep they should let this conversation get.

“I have no doubt that she does,” Carla said softly. “Now, you listen to me. I love Charlie like a daughter, and I want to see her happy. Unfortunately now I don’t think that’s going to be with my son, so you treat her well. Don’t let me hear you’ve hurt her.”

Brax felt a smile forming on his face, slightly surprised by Carla’s comment. “I don’t ever intend too.”

“Darryl, please, can you play?” Connor questioned once again.

“If it saves me from having to play then you’re more than welcome to come in,” Carla answered. “I’m sure Charlie would say it was okay, right?”

“She would Grandma,” Connor nodded. “Darryl is her boyfriend.”

“Not quiet mate,” Brax laughed. “Although hopefully soon.” Brax muttered under his breath.

Connor sighed. “Darryl, you is a boy yes?” Connor questioned and Brax nodded. “And you is my mummy’s friend?”

“I am indeed.” Brax replied.

“Then you is her boyfriend.” Connor sighed feeling frustrated that Brax didn’t seem to know this.

“You can come in,” Carla said as she laughed at her grandson. “Although I’m not sure Angelo will like it when he sees it, but, well maybe you can have one quick game and then leave.”

Brax gave Carla a smile before he walked into the house. “Right you, you’re so going down.”

“Never,” Connor shook his head. “I will beat you.” Connor grinned as he ran back over to the Xbox, excited to be playing with Brax.

Charlie walked into the diner, and smiled as she saw Bianca walking over from the table. “Hey, how did the meeting go?”

“Better than I thought,” Charlie exhaled. “Angelo didn’t really make it difficult at all. I guess he’s just doing it because it’s what I want, but I can see in his face he doesn’t. I hate what I’m doing to him.”

“But if you not happy or in love with him anymore then it has to be done.” Bianca rubbed her arm lightly.

“I know, doesn’t make it any easier though, does it,” Charlie sighed. “I just really wish things could be different.” Charlie pursed her lips together, before Ruby appeared at the counter.

“Hey,” Ruby smiled. “What can I get you?”

“Eh, I’d like to pay,” Bianca answered as she handed Ruby a 10 dollar bill. Ruby rung it through the till and gave Bianca her chance. “Thanks.” Bianca put her change into her purse.

“Eh, two slices of your chocolate cake to go please.” Charlie said.

“Ah spoiling Connor again are we?” Ruby laughed as she lifted two slices into the take away box.

“Yeah,” Charlie laughed lightly. “I guess so.”

“How’s he doing?” Bianca questioned. “I guess he’s used to you two not being together by now anyways.”

“He’s fine,” Charlie answered. “I think. He’s all about mummy at the moment though, but I hope that he and Angelo can repair things.”

“I’m sure they will if Angelo tries hard enough.” Ruby answered as she passed the box to Charlie, and took the money.

“Keep the change.” Charlie smiled at her daughter. Ruby returned the smile as she threw the change into the tip jar.

“So, it is all official now?” Bianca questioned. “You’re completely divorced?”

“Papers have all been signed,” Charlie nodded her head. “So, yeah.....I’m divorced.”

“So everything else has been sorted as well?” Ruby questioned.

Charlie nodded her head. “I’m staying the house, we’ve sorted out the bank account, all that kinda stuff.”

“And you’re getting child support, right?” Bianca questioned.

“Oh yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Comes out of his bank account and goes into mines once a month.”

“Has he been paying you anything since you split?” Ruby questioned.

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “He has to pay it back now.”

“Ouch,” Bianca said. “So, what that’s like 4 months at once?”

“Yeah it is,” Charlie nodded. “But I think he was prepared for that. He wanted to change the days he sees him too,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “He was all ah you need to keep him in a routine when I asked him if I could have this Saturday just for the one week, and then he goes and changes the days.”

“So when is he going to his place now?” Ruby questioned.

“Monday and Wednesday.” Charlie answered.

“So did he say why he wanted to change them?” Bianca asked. “I though he loved having him the whole day Saturday as opposed to just after school?”

“Apparently he can’t keep taking Saturday’s off from work because that’s his busiest day so he feels he needs to be there. But to be honest I’m not complaining because it means I can take him places at the weekend now.”

“Yeah,” Bianca smiled. “Well I supposed as long as he gets to see his dad it doesn’t matter when.”

“Nah,” Charlie exhaled. “Well I’m going to get back to him. See you later.” Charlie turned and walked out of the diner, glad to be away from the conversation of her divorce, because although Charlie wanted this, it still hurt her to talk about it and she was sad that her marriage didn’t work out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone.

Chapter 49

Charlie walked into the house, seeing Connor and Brax playing on the Xbox. “Hello.” Charlie smiled as she closed the house door, feeling both surprise and confusion at seeing Brax with her son.

“Mummy,” Connor jumped down from the couch as Brax paused the game. He ran across to Charlie and wrapped his arms around her in a hug. “I’s playing Xbox with Darryl.”

“So I see,” Charlie said as her and Brax exchanged a smile. “Where’s grandma?”

“Toilet,” Connor answered as he noticed the box in Charlie’s hands. “Oh what’s this?”

“Some chocolate cake for your supper,” Charlie answered. “Go put it in the kitchen, hmm.” Connor took the box into his hands and ran through to the kitchen, his eyes lighting up as he looked down to the box.

“Hey, I eh….I hope you don’t mind me being here,” Brax said. “I eh…” Brax scratched the back of his head. “Carla said -”

“Charlie,” Brax was cut off as Carla appeared back down the stairs. “Where’s Angelo?” Carla asked, slightly confused at why her son was not there.

“He went back to work,” Charlie answered. “So I eh, I hope Connor was no trouble.”

“Not at all,” Carla smiled as she walked back over to the couch. “Well, I’ll leave.” Carla glanced at Brax briefly as she spoke.

“Grandma,” Connor shouted as he ran back into the living room. “Is you still here on Sunday?”

“I think so,” Carla nodded. “You’re spending this Sunday with daddy right?”

“I don’t know.” Connor shrugged his shoulders before looking up to Charlie.

“Not anymore,” Charlie shook her head. “Angelo changed the days he gets him to Monday and Wednesday, so he’ll go on Monday.”

“I see,” Carla nodded her head. “Well buddy I should still be here on Sunday, yes, why?”

“I have soccer on Sunday morning,” Connor answered. “Will you come watch?”

“Oh I’d love too,” Carla smiled. “So, I’ll see you then, okay.” Carla gave Connor a hug and kiss goodbye before leaving the house.

“Do you want me to leave too?” Brax questioned. “I can go if you want?”

“No, it’s okay,” Charlie answered. “You can finish your game with Connor.”

“Mummy I is winning,” Connor grinned feeling proud of himself as he climbed back up onto the couch. “Will you watch?”

“Sure,” Charlie smiled at her son. “I’m just going to get a drink then I’ll be through to watch.” Charlie walked through to the kitchen, and it was then that she let a tear escape her eye. Brax looked in and saw her, and walked through, placing his hand on her arm.

“You alright?” Brax questioned. “Seems like something has upset you. You’re date with Angelo not go well?”

“I didn’t have a date with Angelo,” Charlie shook her head. “I told you like a million times that there is nothing between me and Angelo anymore except the bond we have over Connor.”

“I’m sorry, Carla said you were out with Angelo so I -”

“Yeah, out at the courthouse finalizing the divorce,” Charlie’s voice broke as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I feel sad that we’re done and for Connor I...” Charlie trailed off as Brax pulled her into a hug.

“Hey, I’m sorry. It’s okay,” Brax said. “You’re allowed to be upset about the divorce.”

Charlie pulled away from the hug as she wiped the tears from her eyes. “You should probably go and finish your game with Connor.” Charlie turned around as she pulled the glass from the cupboard and opened the fridge taking out the apple juice and pouring a glass. Brax nodded before leaving the room and walking back into the living room, as Charlie once again wiped a tear from her eye, saddened by her divorce.

Ruby walked into the house to see Rachel looking over baby clothes which she had been out and bought. “Ruby,” Rachel smiled up to her. “How was work today?”

“Ah fine,” Ruby exhaled as she walked over to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water. “How was your day?”

“Great,” Rachel smiled. “I went into Yabbie Creek and went a bit over board on the baby clothes already,” Rachel gave a small laugh. “I don’t actually think we will need to buy much more.”

“You think it’s wise buying so much stuff so soon?” Ruby questioned.

“Eh....” Rachel bit her lip. “What in case you change your mind you mean?”

“Oh no,” Ruby shook her head. “I just mean, I’m only just 11 weeks, so you know, miscarriage is still a higher chance.”

“Oh, I guess but we try not to think about that, right?” Rachel questioned.

“No I guess not.” Came Ruby’s reply.

“So, how’s Charlie doing?” Rachel questioned. “I asked her if she wanted to come shopping with my today but she said she was busy all day?”

“Oh eh...” Ruby exhaled lightly. “She’s good. Keeping busy I think. You know with her not working lately and the divorce going on. She has stuff going on.”

“Are you sure that’s all it is?” Rachel questioned. “I have a feeling she’s been avoiding me.”

“She’s just finding it hard that you will be raising her grandchild.” Ruby said as she opened up the bottle of water and took a drink.

“Does she know we are planning on taking the baby to Boston?” Rachel questioned and Ruby shook her head. “That’s probably best coming from you, right?”

“However she finds out it’ll be hard for her,” Ruby answered. “I know this is my choice but I hate how much it’s against Charlie’s wishes.”

“But you still have her support, right?” Rachel questioned. “Because that was one of the conditions that me and Tony wanted. It’s the only one really. You need your mum’s support.”

“Charlie is still going to support me because she loves me unconditionally,” Ruby answered. “She just needs time to get used to the idea.”

“Well I can understand that,” Rachel smiled weakly. “Especially after what she went through.”

“Yeah,” Ruby pursed her lips together.

“So Rubes, about this adoption -”

“Rachel don’t,” Ruby shook her head. “I told you I’m not talking about it. Now I’m going grab a quick shower then go meet Romeo.” Ruby said as disappeared out of the room. Rachel looked down to the little yellow baby grow with a giraffe on the front. She ran her hands across it, hoping that the distance that Ruby was seemingly building with her, wasn’t because she was starting to change her mind about the adoption.

“Mummy what’s for dinner?” Connor questioned, his eyes still focused on the TV screen as he started another game of soccer with Brax.

“How many games of that have you played?” Charlie questioned as she looked up to Brax.

“This will be our third.” Brax answered.

“Right, buddy, I think you’ve played enough for now,” Charlie answered. “Go wash up for dinner.”

Connor sighed before he hit pause and looked up to his mother. “But we’s having fun.”

“Well you can play another game after dinner, okay?” Charlie questioned and Connor nodded.

“But what is for dinner?” Connor asked. “You not making nothing yet?”

“Well mummy still needs to decide that so I can’t tell you an answer yet.” Charlie said. “But go on, up the stairs.”

“Can Darryl stay for dinner?” Connor asked. “Please.” Connor clasped his hands together.

“Ah Brax probably has to get to work soon, bud. Maybe another time though.” Charlie answered and Connor sighed lightly before he ran off up the stairs.

“I don’t you know,” Brax shook his head. “Have to get to work.”

“Oh?” Charlie questioned.

“I quit on Wednesday,” Brax said. “You’re douchebag ex was being unfair and I wasn’t going to put up with it, so I told him to stuff his job.”

“Oh,” Charlie sounded surprised. “What you going to do now?”

“I’ll think of something,” Brax answered. “But I don’t think Angelo will give me a glowing reference so it might be hard eh.”

“You know he’s not all bad.” Charlie shook her head.

“When it comes to me he is,” Brax sighed. “But sorry, I know your upset so I take that back. And what I said about him being a douchebag.”

Charlie pursed her lips together before nodding her head. “So, then if you don’t have work, I eh....you can stay for dinner if you want.”

“I’d like that. If you’re sure it’s okay?”

“It’ll make Connor happy,” Charlie answered. “And his happiness is my priority so, yeah, you can stay.”

“Okay, well how about I go to Angelo’s and get some pizzas?” Brax asked and Charlie nodded.

“Sure, that sounds great,” Charlie gave Brax a smile, which he returned. “If you think you going to Angelo’s will be a good idea right now?”

“We have to get on with life. I’m not gonna stay away from that place forever,” Brax answered. Not telling Charlie the real reason he’d be going would be to rub it in Angelo’s face that he was having dinner with Charlie and Connor. “I’ll be back soon.” Brax said before he walked out of the house and started walking in the direction of the restaurant.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 50

““Come to ask for your job back have you?” Angelo asked as he appeared out of the office, and walked behind the bar, standing in front of Brax.

“No,” Brax shook his head. “I’m just waiting on some pizza’s. Having dinner with some good friends.” Brax replied, as a grin appeared on his face.

“Nice,” Angelo smiled weakly. “Well have a good night.” Angelo exhaled as he looked down to the till and opened it up, pulling out a 50 dollar bill and then opening up the cash box and putting change in in its place.

“You not going to ask me who I am eating with?” Brax asked with a smug grin present on his face.

“I have a fair idea,” Angelo exhaled sadly. “Look I’m really not in the mood today so save you gloating for another time eh,” Angelo said as he picked up a roll of 1 dollar coins and opened them up, putting them into the till. “But seriously if you’d like your job back I’d ...” Angelo exhaled. “I eh....well I could do with you back here.”

Brax sniggered. “No thanks. I don’t want to work for someone like you.”

“Look, I’m sorry. My marriage was falling apart, I’m still dealing with losing my daughter, I just....I had to take it out on someone and unfortunately it just happened to be you.”

“And your kid son,” Brax said. “Plenty of people’s marriages fall apart. People lose children, and as unfortunate as it is, it still doesn’t give you the right to treat people the way you did.”

“I know that now,” Angelo said. “And I’m sorry.”

“Apology not accepted,” Brax shook his head as Dave carried through two pizza boxes handing them to Brax, before disappearing back through to the kitchen. “Well I’ll go and enjoy my pizzas with some great company.” Brax still had a smug grin plastered across his face. Angelo looked up at him and exhaled lightly before closing the till, and locking up the change box before lifting it up into his hands.

“Well if you ever change your mind about the job, I’ll be happy to have you back. You were a good worker,” Angelo said and Brax sniggered before he turned to walk away. “And Brax...” Angelo raised his voice and Brax turned around to face him. “Charlie’s just been divorced 5 minutes, give her some space.”

“We’ll leave Charlie to be the judge of that yeah?” Brax said before he walked out of the restaurant, and made the short drive back to Charlie’s house. He walked back into the house to find Connor sitting at the dinner table, his leg swinging back and forth as Charlie carried some juice over to the table for him.

“Darryl,” Connor smiled as he walked into the kitchen, placing the pizza boxes down on the table. “Pizza is my favourite meal.”

“Wow, lucky you tonight then.” Brax smiled as he opened the boxes, before taking a seat.

“Can I get you a drink?” Charlie questioned. “There’s some beer in the fridge if you want it?”

“Nah, I’ve got the car eh so I better not drink beer. Apple juice will do fine,” Brax smiled as he picked up the jug and poured it into a glass. “So buddy dig into the pizza.” Brax smiled down at Connor who was sitting starting at the mushroom one.

“Mummy whats on that?” Connor questioned.

“It’s mushroom.” Charlie said before picking up a slice, and laying it down on her plate.

“Oh, I don’t like them,” Connor shook his head. “Can you take them off?”

Charlie pulled a face. “You do so like mushroom,” Charlie said as she looked at her son, perplexed.

“Uh-uh.” Connor shook his head as he picked up a slice of the meat feast pizza.

“There’s mushrooms in lasagne and spaghetti bolognaise and you eat that.” Charlie told her son.

“Yeah but,” Connor put the pizza down on his plate as he shook his hand at his mother. “Theys are smaller. I don’t like those mushrooms.”

“I was under the impression a mushroom was a mushroom eh.” Brax laughed lightly.

“No Darryl,” Connor shook his head. “No. Just no. Can you take them off mummy?” Connor looked up at his mother, who was taking a bite of the mushroom pizza.

Charlie shook her head until she’d swallowed. “No, you like mushrooms Connor.”

Connor stuck his bottom lip out before looking to Brax. “Can you Darryl?” Connor asked. “I don’t want them mushrooms.”

“Connor, will you be quiet about the mushrooms?” Charlie raised her voice. “If you don’t want them pick them off yourself,” Connor was slightly startled by his mother’s tone. Of course Charlie didn’t mean to raise her voice at her son, but the day’s events were getting to her. Charlie took a drink of the juice before looking to see Brax staring at her. “What?” Charlie questioned.

“Nothing.” Brax shook his head as he picked up a slice of the pizza, putting it down on his plate.

Connor looked from Charlie to Brax before looking back to his mother. “Sorry mummy,” Connor said sadly as he bowed his head down. “But please no shout at me.”

Charlie exhaled lightly. “Sorry buddy,” Charlie learned forward and ruffled her sons hair. “Now I won’t shout at you again. Let’s have a nice dinner with our guest yeah?”

“Yeah,” Connor eyes lit up as he saw Brax smiling at him. “Oh mummy can Darryl come to my soccer on Sunday?”

“Eh, we’ll see,” Charlie said before pointing down to Connor’s plate. “Now, eat some pizza.”

“Hey,” Ruby smiled as she walked over to Romeo, who was waiting on her outside of the Surf Club. “How are you today?”

“Great now I’ve seen you,” Romeo smiled as he bent down and placed a kiss on her lips. “How are you doing?”

“Yeah okay.” Ruby exhaled lightly as they walked through the Surf Club and up the stairs towards Angelo’s, where they were getting some dinner.

“How was work?” Romeo asked as they walked over to a table.

“Meh, it was work,” Ruby answered. “Getting me some money for now.”

“So, you didn’t go to uni in the city?” Romeo asked and Ruby pursed her lips together.

“Sort off,” Ruby said. “But because of Lee....we’ll he didn’t make it easy so I missed a lot. So....well I really should be there now but I’m not so....”

“Well you can always go back after you have the baby,” Romeo suggested. “What were you doing?”

“Music,” Ruby smiled. “I always wanted to end up with my own record company.”

“Aiming high eh,” Romeo grinned. “But I think you end up with that. You’re pretty amazing.”

Ruby blushed. “Well we will see,” Ruby answered. “What about you? Did you not fancy uni?”

“I don’t have my HSC, so not much chance of getting into a great one,” Romeo shook his head. “I stupidly failed my HSC on purpose then went back to do it a second time but ended up dropping out.”

“Why did you fail of purpose?” Ruby asked, bemused.

“Long story,” Romeo shook his head. “I was young, stupid and in love, so just....yeah, never mind,” Romeo cleared his throat. “So I tried to start up my own business but it’s not great either, so thank God I work here part time or I’d have nothing to my name.”

“Well apart from a hot girlfriend.” Ruby laughed.

“Speak for yourself eh,” Romeo laughed. “But yeah, I do have a hot girlfriend.”

Ruby blushed once again as Angelo walked over to the table. “Ruby, hey, I heard you were back. How are things going?”

“Not bad thanks,” Ruby smiled. “How are you?”

“Today, not great,” Angelo shook his head. “Charlie’s probably filled you in on what’s been going on, right?” Angelo questioned and Ruby nodded lightly.

“Yeah, I’m sorry.”

Angelo sighed lightly. “What can I do eh,” Angelo rubbed his forehead as Ruby and Romeo exchanged a glance at the sadness in his voice. He clearly knew he’d done wrong lately, and upon seeing him, Ruby couldn’t help but feel a little bit sorry for him. “Anyway’s, Romeo, you’re just the man I wanted to see.”

“Oh?” Romeo said, intrigued.

“I’ve eh....Brax has left us, so I’m needing someone to fill his position. It would be full-time though instead of part time and you’d have greater responsibility but the pay would be better if you are interested.”

“Oh, I eh...” Romeo scratched the back of his head. “Wow, I’m flattered you thought of me,” Romeo smiled. “But I do have my surf school so can I think about it?”

“Sure,” Angelo nodded. “So, what can I get you to drink?”

“Eh, just a water for me please.” Ruby answered.

“Orange soda.” Romeo smiled.

“Okay, I’ll be right back.” Angelo smiled before walking away to get them their drinks. Romeo exhaled lightly as he watched him, seriously thinking about the job offer.

Archived