Chris Harrington - Johnny Ruffo

Chris is a loveable larrikin. He can be silly and immature at times but deep down he has a good heart and admirable traits that most people would like seeing in any person.

His friendship with Irene is terrific and works surprisingly well.

Edited by Jezz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

IMO Chris is a cretinous moron. He's one of my least favourite characters in the show atm. Ever since he first turned up, I've found very little about him remotely entertaining or funny. Admittedly there have been a couple of times where he's made me laugh but for the most part he's incredibly annoying.

He's portrayed as a character that's supposed to provide amusement and we're all meant to laugh at his silly little antics. However he's anything but amusing. He doesn't even perform the part of the town jester very well. Believing that he's funny and his humour will endear people towards him. And I suppose in some cases it does. But it doesn't cover up the fact that he is extremely immature.

It's pretty sad that Jett and even the old VJ are ten times more grown up than he is. And he constantly has to try so hard to desperately get people to like him. And he seems to employ this tactic particularly around the female characters sometimes as a way to try and pick them up. And whilst he's had limited success - Indy, Denny and Shandi - eventually they grow tired of his behaviour and realise he isn't relationship material. It says a lot that the one person who did want to be with him was pretty much a stalker anyway. He's obviously good looking so clearly doesn't 't have a problem attracting them initially but if we take the way he acted when he first met Denny he basically talked her into going on a date and admits to her on the date that he only went out with her because it was a bribe, pursues her quite persistently afterwards, she agrees to go out with him again, he sleeps with her, she tells him she loves him then he starts avoiding her even pulling a sickie at work. So he wasn't grown up enough to be with her and even though I didn't agree with her eventually cheating on him I could understand and was actually glad in the end. You can argue whether Casey was a better boyfriend or not but that still doesn't negate the fact that Chris wasn't a good one.

He actually reminds me a bit of Kyle Canning in Neighbours. Not particularly intelligent but not a bad person. Except that Kyle isn't actually infuriating like Chris is. So as far as I'm concerned Chris is an example of a character who isn't necessarily a bad person but I dislike intensely because he's annoying as hell. I also think he's a walking disaster. One example being trying to redecorate Irene's kitchen at 2am in the morning and making a complete pigs ear of it. His whole behaviour around that was infuriating, refusing to accept help from anyone because he solely wanted to claim the credit. And let's not forget he picked a set of poisonous mushrooms without bothering to check whether they were safe and incorporated them into a meal at the Diner, hospitalising several people resulting in Leah almost having a liver transplant. Putting aside the fact, the Diner could have been closed down after that, all that just to try and get Denny into bed.

There have been a couple of occasions where I thought he had left for good. The most recent time I was absolutely over the moon then to my horror a few episodes later, I saw him walking towards Alf and Marilyn by the bait shop and my head dropped (and now he's a regular cast member :( ). Why oh why did Irene have to call him back? I just wish it was him that been involved on the bus crash and in a coma and not Leah. He's an absolute idiot and I can't stand the guy.

• Like 1

IMO Chris is a cretinous moron. He's one of my least favourite characters in the show atm. Ever since he first turned up, I've found very little about him remotely entertaining or funny. Admittedly there have been a couple of times where he's made me laugh but for the most part he's incredibly annoying.

He's portrayed as a character that's supposed to provide amusement and we're all meant to laugh at his silly little antics. However he's anything but amusing. He doesn't even perform the part of the town jester very well. Believing that he's funny and his humour will endear people towards him. And I suppose in some cases it does. But it doesn't cover up the fact that he is extremely immature.

It's pretty sad that Jett and even the old VJ are ten times more grown up than he is. And he constantly has to try so hard to desperately get people to like him. And he seems to employ this tactic particularly around the female characters sometimes as a way to try and pick them up. And whilst he's had limited success - Indy, Denny and Shandi - eventually they grow tired of his behaviour and realise he isn't relationship material. It says a lot that the one person who did want to be with him was pretty much a stalker anyway. He's obviously good looking so clearly doesn't 't have a problem attracting them initially but if we take the way he acted when he first met Denny he basically talked her into going on a date and admits to her on the date that he only went out with her because it was a bribe, pursues her quite persistently afterwards, she agrees to go out with him again, he sleeps with her, she tells him she loves him then he starts avoiding her even pulling a sickie at work. So he wasn't grown up enough to be with her and even though I didn't agree with her eventually cheating on him I could understand and was actually glad in the end. You can argue whether Casey was a better boyfriend or not but that still doesn't negate the fact that Chris wasn't a good one.

He actually reminds me a bit of Kyle Canning in Neighbours. Not particularly intelligent but not a bad person. Except that Kyle isn't actually infuriating like Chris is. So as far as I'm concerned Chris is an example of a character who isn't necessarily a bad person but I dislike intensely because he's annoying as hell. I also think he's a walking disaster. One example being trying to redecorate Irene's kitchen at 2am in the morning and making a complete pigs ear of it. His whole behaviour around that was infuriating, refusing to accept help from anyone because he solely wanted to claim the credit. And let's not forget he picked a set of poisonous mushrooms without bothering to check whether they were safe and incorporated them into a meal at the Diner, hospitalising several people resulting in Leah almost having a liver transplant. Putting aside the fact, the Diner could have been closed down after that, all that just to try and get Denny into bed.

There have been a couple of occasions where I thought he had left for good. The most recent time I was absolutely over the moon then to my horror a few episodes later, I saw him walking towards Alf and Marilyn by the bait shop and my head dropped (and now he's a regular cast member :( ). Why oh why did Irene have to call him back? I just wish it was him that been involved on the bus crash and in a coma and not Leah. He's an absolute idiot and I can't stand the guy.

Wow that´s harsh. He is suppose to be silly and immature at times, that´s whats makes him so funny and loveable :) To say you wish it was him that was sent into a coma is kinda mean...

I hope Chris stays on the shows for years, we need people like him, they can get rid of VJ instead, the new actor playing him is pathetic :)

Yeah I wouldn't mind if VJ left to be honest. I'm not sure wheather its Matt Little's acting, or the fact that VJ acts so much differently now

Back to Chris, He is funny but his no Dexter But I do like his scenes with Irene they make a good double act.

Edited by pembie

Wow that´s harsh. He is suppose to be silly and immature at times, that´s whats makes him so funny and loveable :) To say you wish it was him that was sent into a coma is kinda mean...

I hope Chris stays on the shows for years, we need people like him, they can get rid of VJ instead, the new actor playing him is pathetic :)

Funny and loveable in your opinion. So you say my post was harsh and kinda mean for slating and wanting a fictional character off our screens but refer to an actual actor as 'pathetic'. Interesting...

So tell me Jacklost, what's the harm in bashing something or someone that doesn't exist in real life? Especially a character that IMO is as dreadful as Chris is.

I'm afraid I really find Chris annoying as well. He constantly pushes into situations where he has no place and stays in people's faces long after he should get the hint and simply go away. I don't find him either lovable or endearing. In fact I'm always surprised he doesn't get his nose punched much more often.

I kinda felt you attacked the actor to himself or did i misunderstand?

There's no mention anywhere in my post about the actor, simply the character that is portrayed. The only person who 'attacked' an actor was you.

Not really, i just don´t think hes fit for the role, he looks to old to play VJ

I hope Chris stays for many years :)

• Like 1