Building interiors in early H&A.

Guest Homeandawayfan.

When watching current episodes I am amazed at how the interiors of buildings are snazzy and modern whereas when the show began in January 1988 many of the interiors were old fashioned looking. The only building premises that seems to have survived the shows entire run is Summer Bay House. Other buildings have been damaged, relocated, burned in bushfires or burnt down deliberately explaining change of location.

I loved the original shop interior seen from 1988 to about 1990. It looked a lot like the shop in The Sullivans and even though it was 1988 the shelves and decor looked very 1940s and 1950s.

And I still miss the interior brickwork of the Summer Bay high school seen from 1988 to about 1995 when the school was revamped after the bushfire.

Watching early H&A judging by the decor it looked like it was set in the late 1970s rather than set at time of transmission from Jan 1988 onwards.

That's another thing that made it realistic, in my opinion. Probably with the exception of the Bayside Diner (not a very realistic set IMO), all the sets were made to look like real places that had been standing for some time and had seen wear and tear. I liked Matt's place too, because it looked like a small place that had at some point had an extention built on. Houses weren't just big open plan squares with a living area, dining area, kitchen area.... they had hallways and rooms! I don't know if the idea in Summer Bay House was that the Kitchen used to be a seperate room and had been knocked through at some point in history, but the houses and sets did feel like they had just that - history.

Right now in the current show the only set that conveys this (apart from Summer Bay House) is the farm house. I'm not saying all houses and sets should look old fashioned and unloved - they should suit the character and their circumstances - but they shouldn't all look like Ikea showrooms.

In the mid 90s the Ross house (Summer Bay House) looked pretty shabby - peeling paintwork, constant clutter/toys/clothes everywhere... it suited the dynamics of that family and also matched their financial status. It was real.

When watching current episodes I am amazed at how the interiors of buildings are snazzy and modern whereas when the show began in January 1988 many of the interiors were old fashioned looking. The only building premises that seems to have survived the shows entire run is Summer Bay House. Other buildings have been damaged, relocated, burned in bushfires or burnt down deliberately explaining change of location.

I loved the original shop interior seen from 1988 to about 1990. It looked a lot like the shop in The Sullivans and even though it was 1988 the shelves and decor looked very 1940s and 1950s.

And I still miss the interior brickwork of the Summer Bay high school seen from 1988 to about 1995 when the school was revamped after the bushfire.

Watching early H&A judging by the decor it looked like it was set in the late 1970s rather than set at time of transmission from Jan 1988 onwards.

The Summer Bay High set wasn't revamped untill 1996 after the earthquake, the set changed from about Feb 1991, just after Steven left the show and was then revamped in 1996.

I loved Alf and Ailsa's original house. It had hallways and rooms, and Flatheads house before the bushfire, the house he had after that looked basic and seemed to be one huge room with just a door leading to the bedroom and one to the bathroom.

I dont know if the current surf club is the same premises we saw in the 1990s. I did not watch H&A from early 2000 to 2008 so missed a lot of years.

The Summer Bay High set wasn't revamped untill 1996 after the earthquake, the set changed from about Feb 1991, just after Steven left the show and was then revamped in 1996.

It wasn't really revamped, they just built another area of the same school set that they had used before I.e it was meant to be just another hallway that we hadn't seen yet.

I agree about how the houses used to have a lot more character and looked like they were built with a outdoor location in mind. I'd say Leah's place is also a set out of the current show which looks more like a real life house - but that was built in 1995.

Alf and Ailsa's pad is one of my favouurite sets. I can just imagine how it would look these days. Destroying that set, was like peeling away another slice of H&A, which they obviously didn't think about at the time. I don't think they realise just how important keeping sets helps with continuity and helps make the show feel like the same show.

One thing I like about H&A is in many ways it is a million miles apart from when it began 25 years ago, ie different looking buildings, house interiors looking like an IKEA showroom, faster pace, only a few originals left but at the same time it keeps in with its history by the odd original returning, refs to the past etc to remind everyone it is the same show as to what it began in 1988 just a different pace and style. H&A is a lot different to when it first started.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like Summer bay House. Shame its only the interior that survived. Only old stock shots are used for the outside. Shame about the house used for it burning in bush fires years ago. Also a shame they didn't end up finding a location to build a replica.

I also like the old high school sets. I'm not really keen on the one with bright colours in the current episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I agree that for sentimental value, keeping more of the original sets would have been great, but it would have seen a little unrealistic that all characters on the show lived in the same house or worked in the same place. It's not Neighbours and a show like Home and Away needs to continue to evolve and change so the new sets and destruction of the old, while sad, its defferently necessary.

Archived