Missing Heart

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 60

“So that is Christmas sorted.” Belle said looking slyly over at her husband.

“We can have …” he began to say guiltily.

Belle looked over at Nic and the two of them laughed.

“It’s ok babe, I enjoy Christmas here too. I love watching the kids playing together.” Belle murmured watching the colour on her husband’s face fading and he realised she had been teasing him and he relaxed.

Ella chuckled and pointed to Lily running a circle around Roman and jumping back into the pool splashing him in the process.

“Hasn’t he learnt yet?” Mike asked.

Ella shook her head before she turned to them, Danni and Mike, Belle next to Aden and then Nic and Geoff.

“We are doing the right thing aren’t we?” she asked.

“We are.” Geoff said quietly his voice serious.

Aden looked at him and nodded.

“Roman can’t so this on his own. We’re family we should do this together.” He said feeling Belle take hold of his hand. “We should have…” he stopped and took a breath. “Been there, before, with William.”

Ella turned and looked at him before looking at Geoff.

“Don’t tell me the both of you have been carrying that around for a year?” she gasped out feeling tears clogging the back of her throat. “Because there is nothing you could have done.”

Aden and Geoff exchanged a look remembering conversations that they’d had between them about the events of a year ago.

“Ella you couldn’t even lift your baby once you’d got her home. We could have helped or done something and.” Aden stopped again. “Well the guilt of not being there to stop Roman’s death has kinda faded.”

Mike laughed before covering his mouth.

“Sorry.” He said quickly.

Ella sighed.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t talk to you guys.” She said softly.

“Step-mama it’s ok.” Nic said quickly still feeling guilty about the previous night. “We understood.”

“Still.” Ella sighed before looking up and seeing Lily being lifted out of the pool. Roman wrapped his daughter in a towel before reaching for Liam. “Ot oh.” She murmured.

They turned and followed her gaze watching as Lily ducked down crawling out from under the towel and skirted round the back of Roman before giggling as she ran and jumped back into the pool.

“Oh for…. Sake.” Roman cried out when his daughter splashed him for the second time.

“Well that will be a new word for Lily to say.” Mike said laughing.

Ella looked at them grinning as she stood and ran down the garden to the pool.

“Hello Lily squeals.” She called out. “Are you teaching Dada all your tricks?”

Lily looked up at her and swam to the middle of the pool knowing that they couldn’t reach her from the side from there.

“Oh is it like that?” Ella asked she could see that Roman was watching her and she grinned at him before peeling off her dress revealing the bikini she was wearing underneath it. She dropped it to the ground as she paced backwards and began a run to the pool. Pausing she seemed to stop still for a moment before contorting her body into a somersault and landing in the pool with a splash.

Roman lifted his fingers to his lips as he whistled, letting go of Liam temporarily.

“Hey.” He muttered catching hold of his son as he began to move back to the pool. “No you don’t Liam squeals.”

“Mama.” Liam called pointing.

“Yeah I know but you aren’t heading back in the pool my son.” Roman said to him.

Ella surfaced near Lily and grinned at her daughter.

“Out now.” She told her. “Or you will be in your room and in bed.”

“Mama no.” Lily cried paddling in the pool.

“Bed or dinner with us?” Ella asked her.

Lily pouted and went over to the steps. She gave her mother a last look before climbing out of the pool and over to her father. She gave him a look and manufactured some tears looking sad.

Ella laughed at her before hauling herself out of the pool.

“Lily Alyssa Harris.” Ella called out.

“Mama mean.” Lily told her dad sniffing.

“She is isn’t she.” Roman agreed with his daughter.

“Roman.” Ella cautioned.

He looked at his wife as she wrapped a towel around her self before kneeling down and saying something to Liam and Lily. He saw them grin and nod.

“What are you plotting?” Ella called.

“Nothing Mama.” Lily said innocently.

“In a pigs ear Lily Harris.” Ella told her. “Not even Meggy would try that look on me twice in one day.”

Lily giggled and looked at her Dad before nodding. She began a run towards the pool before skirting around the edge and running all the way around. Liam ran the opposite way.

“Lily! Liam!” Ella called out watching them.

She didn’t notice Roman moving up behind her until he scooped her into his arms and ran towards the pool.

“No!” Ella squealed clutching at him. “Stop!” she added catching sight of Nic and Danni giggling on the veranda. Mike was shouting encouragement to Roman as were Geoff and Aden.

Roman looked at her and laughed as he jumped, dunking them both in the water.

“Oh my god Roman Harris!” Ella shouted out as she came back up to the surface.

He laughed at her before pulling her against him and kissing her.

“That is from Lily for making her get out of the pool.” he told her treading water.

Ella smiled sweetly at him before she put her hands on his shoulders and dunking him. She used the momentum to push away from him and swim to the side of the pool. She levered herself out and stood for a moment before stepping forward and wrapping herself in a towel.

“You are sleeping back in the stables.” She called to him. “Lily Liam go get changed and ready for bed.”

“Mama!” Lily cried out.

“Now!” Ella called hiding her grin as Lily started stomping up to the house.

“Ella.” Roman called.

He perched at the side of the pool looking up at her.

“Don’t…” he began.

“Kids were told.” Ella said to him. “Not my fault if their father would rather play games.”

She gave him a last look and began walking up the garden hiding her grin from him.

“Mum.” Mike called out as she reached the veranda.

“Don’t say a word.” Ella told him as she marched into the house. She bypassed some of the kids playing in the lounge and walked up the stairs and into Lily and Liam’s room. She saw Lily holding her pyjamas and she grinned at her.

“Come on bu bu.” She told them.

Lily ran over to her and held out her arms dropping her pyjamas.

“Mama no mad at Lily.”

Ella shook her head.

“You always have bu bu after swims.” Ella told her.

Lily puled back and looked at her before nodding.

“And pj’s.” Ella added.

“Mama sneaky.” Lily muttered looking over at Liam and seeing her brother nodding agreement.

Ella giggled and led them both into the bathroom and ran the bath.

“Babies.” Lily murmured.

“Not tonight.” Ella told her knowing her daughter liked to have August and Fleur in the bath with her so she could play with them.

“Hello!” Nic called walking in with Mira in her arms. “She wanted to come and see Lily.”

Ella smiled at Nic.

“Really?” she asked.

“That and granddad looked a bit grumpy.” Nic confessed.

“We’re having a bath with…” Ella paused and looked at Lily.

“Bu bu’s.” Lily cried out.

”Want to join them?” Ella asked Mira.

Mira nodded grinning at Lily.

Ella smiled and turned to the bath turning on the taps. She filed the large bathtub with hot water and added a very generous amount of bubble bath swirling it around the water watching Lily giggle as the bubbles rose. She turned off the taps and checked the temperature of the water before taking off their swimsuits and lifted them in the bath. Nic lifted Mira and laughed as the immediately started a bubble war.

“I’ll watch them.” Nic told her.

“you sure?” Ella asked.

Nic nodded.

Ella smiled at her and moved into the bedroom. She closed the door behind her and removed her wet towel, carrying it with her as she stepped through to the en suite and saw Roman standing under the shower. He turned and gave her a look watching her carefully as she dropped the towel to one side.

“Shouldn’t you be in the stables?” she asked him.

“Why don’t I make it easy for you and leave altogether?” he shot out.

“Great.” Ella said folding her arms across herself. “Off you go then. May I suggest that you get dressed first?”

Roman glared at her before he groaned and reached out pulling her into the shower.

“Getting me wet again?” Ella asked before blushing as she saw him grin. “I didn’t mean that.” She told him hurriedly.

“Wet hot.” He said. “That’s just two ways I like you.”

He pulled her hard against him and kissed her peeling off the bikini top. He rubbed his hands over her breasts feeling her nipples harden under his touch.

“Yes!” he cried out.

Moving his hands down he pulled at the ties on her bikini bottoms before gasping.

“Ella sweetheart.” He whispered. “What are you doing?”

“It was poking against me.” She murmured. “I think it was lonely so I thought I would give it a hug.”

He chuckled.

“Keep going.” He told her. “It’s been lonely all day.”

Ella giggled before his lips descended on hers and he kissed her.

“God I love you.” He moaned

He ran his hands down her back cupping her behind before lifting her, smiling as her legs opened and wrapped around his waist.

“Do you want me?” he asked feasting on her neck.

“No.” Ella said back.

Roman flinched and pulled back looking into her eyes.

“Enough jokes.” He muttered.

She reached out and stroked his face before kissing him.

“Love you.” She said against his lips. “Make love to me please.”

Roman sighed before he thrust into her.

“Yes.” He cried out.

He pinned her against the tiled wall hearing her moan as the cold hit her hot flesh. Grabbing her hands he lifted them above her head and pinned them as he thrust into her.

“Roman” Ella protested.

He leaned forward and kissed her silencing her.

“Not like this.” She begged him. “You are angry.”

He sighed and collapsed against her.

“Like this.” She said softly pulling her hand free and stroking the back of his neck. She moved on and stroked his back. “Like this.” She told him again kissing him, her lips pressing softly on his.

Roman sighed and kissed her back.

“Sorry.” He told her. “Sorry.” He repeated.

“Love you.” She told him again.

Roman sighed and kissed her running his hands over her body as he began to love her again. He saw her eyes meeting his and couldn’t stop his sigh again.

“It’s ok.” she whispered.

He looked at her, seeing her lips swollen from his kisses, the hot water cascading over their joined bodies and he surrendered to the sensations of making love to his woman.

“So what is going on with you?” Aden asked Brett as they walked around the pool tidying up toys.

“Nothing.” Brett answered immediately.

“Haven’t heard you make plans to go see Michelle lately.” Aden commented.

“She’s coming here.” Brett confessed before biting back a groan at the added complication. Michelle wasn’t actually his girlfriend but they had been seeing each other and now he was. ‘Was what?’ He asked himself, Gabby didn’t want anyone to know until she had spoken to Jacob.

“That will be nice for you. Not have to go that far to pick up your date.” He heard his Dad say with a light in his blue eyes.

“Ok what do you know?” Brett turned and looked at him.

“Me? I know nothing. I’m acting on behalf of your mother. Apparently she and Ella were noticing a couple of things.”

Brett sighed.

“I’m screwed.” Brett said before flushing at the other meaning of the word. “I should have known that Ella would find out.”

“What?” Aden asked still in the dark.

“Me and Gabby.” Brett confessed. “We…” he stopped feeling embarrassed and also now knowing why Amy-Belle didn't want anyone to know of her pregnancy. Parents should not have these kinds of discussions with kids, he thought.

“Oh.” Aden said surprised. “Oh.” He said again.

“Yeah well we don’t know what’s going to happen but it’s pretty special. Which is why we wanted to keep it quiet for a bit longer.”

Aden looked at him.

“Right. I will tell your mother absolutely nothing then.” He decided glancing to where Belle was sitting with Irene and Danni on the veranda. “Wish me luck.” He added.

Brett laughed.

“Good luck.” He told him watching as his Dad walked away.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 61

Roman walked slowly down the stairs after his and well Ella’s shower before smiling as he saw Ella sat down with August and Fleur playing with them. He went over to them and leant down giving Ella a kiss.

“What do we want to do for food? Must be time to feed them.”

She nodded.

“I’ve done a salad.” She told him. “There are burgers and stuff in the fridge for a BBQ.” She explained with a shrug. “Or you could cook.”

He smiled some more at how normal the conversation was.

“Where are…” he began to ask.

“Still playing upstairs with Mira. Didn’t want to come down. Well maybe Liam did but he wasn’t allowed.” Ella said softly.

“Thought maybe you meant…”he stopped and looked at her. “Threatening Lily with Bed was just to wind me up wasn’t it?” he asked rolling his eyes.

“Lily knows that she’s in her pj’s after swimming.” Ella told him.

“I’m going to spank you.” Roman promised before blushing as Aden snickered from the kitchen.

“Don’t mind me just getting a beer.” He called out.

“Just can’t help yourself, can you solider?” she murmured in a sassy voice grinning up at him.

Roman smiled and leaned down once more kissing her.

“Kiss dada.” August called out.

“Ok bossy boots.” Roman grinned at his daughter kissing the both of them. “Where are the boys?”

“Mike has taken them out with him to burn off some energy. The girls are with Gabby and Danni.” Ella explained softly.

He smiled again as he straightened and walked through to the kitchen. He saw Aden standing by the back door.

“What are you still smirking about?” he asked him.

“Maybe I’m just in a happy mood.” Aden told him still grinning. “Or maybe I’ve been drinking your beer for two days and I just don’t care anymore.”

“Yeah that’s right.” Roman muttered before he frowned. It wasn’t his beer. In fact until he sorted out this whole mess he couldn’t afford much anything. Almost like she had read his mind and knew he was thinking depressing thoughts Ella walked into the kitchen.

“I was thinking we could order pizza.” She said with a grin as she moved to the fridge and took out the juice pouring it into beakers for the twins.

“Why should you get pizza when Aden has just offered to cook for us?” Roman said to her slowly.

“Hey what?” Aden did a doubletake.

“I would have thought the least they could do was set up the BBQ.” Ella said.

“Hey!” Aden muttered again before walking out the back. He looked over at Geoff. “They want you to set up the BBQ.” They heard him say.

Ella smiled before stepping over to Roman and kissing him.

“What’s up Grumpy?”

“Just stuff.” He shrugged. “It will be resolved in time.”

“Good.” She murmured. “Get on with cooking then or I’ll be forced to get pizza.”

He rolled his eyes before grabbing her hand and pulling her against him kissing her.

“Love you.” He whispered.

Ella sighed.

“First you are really mad at me and then you get depressed.” She told him. “What is going on?”

“Everything.” He ground out. “I have no money and this half life. And today when you…”

Ella stepped back.

“So you what?” she asked him. “Want to punish me?”

“No it wasn’t like that.” He denied, lying to her and to himself.

“Ok then.” Ella said quietly.

She turned away from him and took the two drinks through to her daughters lifting them to sit on the sofa with her. She picked up the remote and put cartoons on watching them with her babies.

Roman sighed and swore silently before stomping around the kitchen. He began fixing a sauce for the steaks and then peeled potatoes to make spicy wedges. After he put them on to cook he grabbed the burgers and steaks out of the freezer walking them outside and over to the BBQ.

“Hey Daddy.” Nic called out.

“You drinking again?” Roman asked smiling at her.

“Of course not.” Nic protested before she giggled. “Maybe a glass or two.”

Belle shook her head.

“You do know we have to go home at some point.” Belle said. “We can’t just stay here.”

“Why not?” Nic asked. “Get rid of those trees and they could build me and Geoff a house. Then one for you and Aden and we could be one big happy family.”

“That Ella would kill after you raided her wardrobe again.” Belle said raising an eyebrow as she looked at her sister-in-law-ish.

Nic pouted.

“It wasn’t Ella who stopped me from wearing her clothes when I lived here.” Nic announced with just a slight slur to her words.

Belle looked over at Roman figuring out what Nic meant as she took in his look.

“Ella isn’t going to do anything stupid you know. She’s not going to leave the children.”

Roman nodded but he didn’t believe her. He looked over at Belle and sighed remembering the girl who used to give him such a hard time when he was working in the diner.

“God good are you two still sitting here?” Irene asked moving to sit next to Belle. She glanced over at Roman and gave him a smile. “Seems like when I went inside to talk to Annie they were sitting here and that was an hour ago.”

Roman smiled.

“Well they seem to have found the wine.” He cautioned Irene.

She grinned.

“They found it before I went to talk to Annie.”

Roman laughed.

“We’re in for another good night.” He predicted.

“You want to be careful what you say Mister, we can give your wife wine.” Nic told him.

“I doubt there is anything left to say about our sex life.” Roman muttered heading to the BBQ. He stood with Geoff and Aden and laughed as they looked at him.

“Pretty sure they don’t know about the bucks night.” Geoff said quietly.

Roman looked at them.

“Or that Liam was conceived in a janitors closet at the hospital.” Aden added.

“So are you totally sure there is nothing else we can find out.” Geoff pointed out.

“Ask about the sand dunes.” Miles called out.

Roman spun around and looked in shock at the other man.

“I guess saying you’re alive is a bit redundant.” Miles said looking round the group. “I called Ella and she said to come over.”

Ella came out of the house and stood next to Miles and Roman was struck by the closeness of the two of them. He tried not to be jealous but he couldn’t help it.

“Ok?” Ella asked Miles.

He nodded in response before walking over to Roman and throwing his arms around the other man and hugging him.

“That’s a relief.” Roman said patting Miles on the back.

“Why?”

“Well everyone else who found out punched me.” Roman pointed out. “Apart from Ella who did a fair share of slapping.”

“I could have punched you.” Ella said. “But well I was just waiting until you did something stupid again.”

Roman eased back away from Miles and looked at Ella still feeling the sense of hostility between them. He bit back another comment and focused instead on Miles taking in the short hair and the beard.

“Snap.” He muttered lifting a hand to his own face.

“It’s been a rough time.” Miles said slowly his own hand touching his beard.

Roman nodded.

“Aden do you want to get a couple of beers for them?” Ella asked.

Aden nodded and moved inside.

“So what has been happening?” Roman asked him.

“Hasn’t Ella filled you in?” Miles answered before accepting the beer that Aden held out. “thanks.”

Roman took hold of his bottle and saw Ella point to the bench down the garden and he nodded leading Miles down there.

“Ok.” Geoff said. “And what was your reason for that?” he asked Ella when the other two men were out of earshot.

“Roman needed a bit of male company.” Ella said softly.

Geoff shrugged.

“And are you going to tell him?” Aden asked.

“Tell him what?” Ella murmured.

“About the night you spend with Miles.” He said slowly looking round everybody before looking back at Ella.

“Now that is none of his business.” Ella said in a strident voice. “And certainly none of yours.”

She turned and strode back into the house.

Nic stood and looked around the group as if to say you shouldn’t have done that before she followed Ella.

“Hey.” She called out softly.

Ella looked up before she stepped over to the fridge and took out a can of diet coke. She opened it up and poured it into her glass over the top of what was probably vodka from what Nic saw.

“It was none of our business.” Nic said softly.

“Too right.” Ella muttered. “But you had to talk about it amongst yourselves. Probably labelling me.”

“No.” Nic exclaimed although Ella was right, they had talked about it.

“About what I said last night.” Nic began.

“Francesca was blonde.” Ella announced quietly. “She was the only one born blonde like her Dad and she was small, smaller than Lily, smaller than the twins or even Jennie. She was like this small doll.”

“El,” Nic said softly taking a step towards her.

“And your Dad he made me hold her and say goodbye even though he knew I didn’t want to and afterwards it was like I’d been the one to die only I was still breathing. Mike says that until Lily was born I didn’t really smile. Next time you want to have a go at your Dad for getting me pregnant so many times or for not having a vasectomy remember the time I lost that first baby and how it killed me inside when they said I shouldn’t have kids. Remember how you shared Angel with me when a part of you knew I hated you for that. You involve yourselves with our lives and think that you know everything but you don’t.” Ella looked at Nic lifting her chin up and meeting the gaze of her stepdaughter. “And you also don’t know what happened the night I spent with Miles. If it’s right I’ll tell Roman and no one else.”

“Ella please.” Nic gasped slowly. “You think…”

Ella shook her head cutting off Nic’s words.

“I think that you and Belle have been lucky and not lost a baby so even though you look at me and your Dad and think we are crazy to risk it you really can’t understand what grief we’ve gone through. I’m not having a go I’m just saying.”

Nic sighed.

“Are you going…”

“To try again?” Ella asked. “No. It isn’t just the risk of a pregnancy it’s the fact that any baby born now would be wrong. It would stop us from enjoying the children we do have.”

Nic nodded.

“I guess I can’t understand.” She said quietly.

“That is all I wanted to say really, that and be careful with your father tonight.”

Nic sighed.

“He’s tense.” She commented. “Like he’s expecting something. Is that why you brought Miles over?”

Ella shook her head.

“No I did that for Miles. Leona is moving out of the Caravan Park.”

“Poor Miles. “ Nic gasped.

“I know. He really loves her and Millie.” Ella took a sip of her drink. “I wish there was something I could say to her.”

Ella turned and looked at Nic and thrust her glass into the other girls’ hands.

“Actually. Look after the babies.” She said before grabbing her keys and running out of the door.

“Ella.” Nic gasped as the door slammed shut. A moment later she heard the car start up and pull away. “Fine if that is the way you want but I’m drinking your drink.” Nic called out even though she knew Ella couldn’t hear her. She looked at the glass and took a sip choking on the strong vodka content. “And you have a drinking –hic-problem.” Nic added.

“Er who are you talking to?” Aden asked from behind her.

“Ella.” Nic told him turning and putting the glass in his hand before she walked through to where the twins were siting.

Aden looked down at the glass and took a sniff before deciding to have a drink of it.

“God good.” He cried out muddling his words in an effort to get them out.

“Finally.” Geoff muttered. “You see it my way.”

“Ha bloody ha Campbell. Take a sip of this.” Aden told him spinning around and handing over the glass.

“Sweet freaking Jesus.” Geoff exclaimed.

“Should I be worried that you two seem to be praying in here?” Belle asked from the doorway. “Where did Nic go?”

Geoff and Aden shared a look before Geoff handed over the glass.

“In there.” Aden told his wife.

Belle gave them both a look before taking a sip from the glass.

“I see what you freaking mean.”

“It’s Ella’s.” Nic said from the sofa where she was sitting with the twins.

“The woman has a drinking problem.”

“What woman?” Roman asked bring in two empty bottles of beer to swap for new ones.

“Here.” Belle said thrusting the glass at Roman.

He looked at it before taking a drink.

“And?” he asked after a moment.

“No….er… aftershocks?” Aden said.

Roman shook his head and put the glass down before he grabbed the beers and moved back outside to where Miles was sitting. He certainly didn’t admit to his tongue going numb or that he thought if he drank anymore of the vile stuff he believed he’d go blind.

Chapter 62

Ella pulled up outside the caravan. She saw that Leona’s car was being packed up with boxes and sighed as she climbed out of the car and stretched. She went over to the caravan and knocked on the door and waited. It swung open after a minute and Lee stood there folding her arms across herself as she saw Ella.

“What do you want?” she asked ungraciously.

“To talk to you.” Ella murmured. “Can I come in?”

“No.” Lee snapped.

“So he told you then.”

“I saw you together Ella. You and my fiancée.” Lee glared at her. “All night together.”

“Talking.” Ella protested feeling herself get defensive. “Because he couldn’t talk to you.”

“Oh that’s ok then.” Lee said stepping down the steps until she was level with Ella. She looked into her eyes. “Maybe I’d rather believe that you were screwing him than he couldn’t talk to me did you think about that?”

“If that is what you want to believe.” Ella said slowly. “If that makes it easier for you to run away.”

“I am so not running away.” Lee snapped out angrily. “That is what you do.”

Ella nodded.

“And I’m pretty good at it.” she confirmed. “Avoid emotional confrontations by leaving.”

Lee sighed.

“I’m not doing that.” She denied quietly.

“Miles was in a bad place and he needed someone to talk to.” Ella began seeing the look of pain that crossed Lee’s face as she spoke. “Someone who knew Roman.” She added quickly trying to lesson it. “Because he and Roman have a strong connection. Roman knew about his wife and child.”

Lee gasped and half-stepped forward.

“His child?” she asked quickly. “He never…”

“Told you about her?” Ella said softly. “Because he explained to me that he went through a bad phase before, that he had issues because of her. But mostly he didn’t want to put pressure on you to have a child with him too when you had Millie. He got this idea that you were a little preoccupied with the fact that Millie wasn’t his biological child.”

Lee sighed and looked down her hand moving towards her stomach before she countered the movement and put her arm down by her side.

“And he needed to talk to someone about you.” Ella added quietly.

“Me? Why didn’t he talk to me? I was there for him.”

Ella wanted to sigh but she held her breath for a moment and stepped forward taking hold of Lee’s hand.

“He couldn’t talk to you Lee. He loves you and he’s scared that he’s losing you. “

“Why are you talking present tense?” Lee snapped tugging at her hand. “He has lost me.”

“Then why are you still talking to me?” Ella asked her voice no louder than a whisper. “He needs you and you need him. Come with me and see him.”

“I can’t Ella.” Lee muttered stepping away from her. “My mind is made up.”

“Ok then.” Ella told her. “I mean you’ve decided. Nothing I can say will change your mind.”

“No nothing.” Lee confirmed.

“Not even about that fact that you should tell him.” Ella said her eyes narrowing slightly as she gave Lee a look.

Lee muttered something under her breath.

“Look Lee isn’t it worth one more chance? One more talk? Doesn’t Miles deserve that at least? I lost Roman and it was the worst thing in the world so I know how Miles is feeling right now. Lost, alone, scared, hurt.”

“You are evil Ella Harris. How can I possibly resist that?” Lee said her arms folding across herself as she met Ella’s gaze.

“I’m hoping that you won’t.” Ella murmured. “I’m hoping that you’ll come with me and let me help you and Miles get back to how you were.”

“I’m not sure we can.” Lee muttered.

“Maybe not, but how will you know if you don’t try? Please, do it for me?” Ella begged softly sensing that Lee was mustering her resistance to the idea.

“Fine. But Millie has to come with me.” Lee said folding her arms across herself once more.

“Ok go and get her, I’ll bring you back in a bit.” Ella murmured slowly.

Lee sighed and spun around heading into the caravan. She came out a moment later with her daughter.

“Hey Millie.” Ella said softly.

“BBQ?” Millie asked. “Lily?”

“That’s right.” Ella said ignoring Lee frowning at her.

Millie smiled.

She walked over to her car and opened up the back door standing to one side to let them climb in. She watched for a moment as Lee strapped Millie into a car seat before she closed the door behind them and climbed into the front setting off. It took 20 minutes to get to the house, with the journey being completed in silence. Pulling up outside the house Ella paused and looked at Lee.

“There is something you should know.” She began.

“God what now?” Lee snapped.

Ella sighed.

“Never mind.” She told her before climbing out of the car. She led them around the side of the house and out the back grinning as everyone turned and looked at her.

“Hey.” She called out.

Lee walked behind her stopping when she saw Roman standing with Miles.

“What is this?” she asked her tone hostile.

“My husband was in witness protection. We only found out a little while ago. But that isn’t why you are here.” Ella explained.

“BBQ!” Millie called loudly.

“Why don’t you go find Lily?” Ella said to her lifting Millie out of Lee’s arms and setting her on to her feet. Millie gave her mother a grin and ran off into the house.

“Lee.” Miles called softly. “How about we …”

Roman prodded Miles in the back and he coughed before stepping forward.

“Talk?” he asked.

Ella smiled and took hold of Lee’s hand drawing her out from behind her and towards Miles.

“Ok.” Lee said glaring at Ella.

Miles nodded before he yelped as Roman prodded him again.

“Good god man no wonder people want to kill you.” He muttered hearing Roman laugh at him.

Miles stepped forward and took hold of Lee’s hand leading her down the garden to the bench where he and Roman had sat moments before.

“I’m sorry.” He began. “I’ve been depressed. Roman, well he was in Phuket just after the tsunami and again when I first moved into the Bay. He was a kind of anchor for me when it all went wrong.”

“You had a daughter Miles.” Lee said the first thing that occurred to her.

“And I had Jai who left, Ollie who left, and Kirsty miscarried a baby. I’ve had loss Lee, and I know nothing will compare to losing you and Millie but it seemed easier if I let you go.” He muttered feeling the words torn from him.

“And is it easy?” she asked.

Miles shook his head.

“No.” he said looking at her tears gathering in his eyes. “It’s killing me. I nearly did something stupid.”

“What?” Lee asked her eyes flashing at him.

“I took some sleeping pills on top of drinking. Not intentional though.” He added. “I wasn’t that stupid.”

“Wait is that..”

“I called Ella and we talked all night about stuff. I just didn’t want you to stay out of pity. I love you Lee and I’m sorry I’ve been depressed. But you have been distant and pushing me away, especially when it came to Millie.”

Lee sighed sinking back on the seat. She looked over at Ella sitting with her daughters and sighed again.

“I compare myself to her did you know?” she asked him.

“Why?” he murmured back.

“Because Roman loved her so much he would cry sometimes and she’s great with her kids and really nice. I wonder if I could….”

“Be loved like that?” Miles interrupted. “If you stay I’ll spend a very long time proving that you could be,”

Lee turned and looked into his puppy dog eyes gasping at the look of passion in them.

“Miles?”

“I do love you Lee, I need you.”

“Miles.” Roman called interrupting them frowning when Ella walked over to him and took hold of his hand and led him away.

“They’ll get some food in a minute.” They heard Ella tell him.

“But…”

Miles laughed before sobering and looking back at Lee.

“I dunno, it was all a bit mixed up because I loved you when you lived with him and well, I know he loved Ella but I mean look at him and then …” he waved his hand over his body.

“You are adorable Miles Copeland.” Lee said with a laugh. “ I don’t want anyone except you.”

“Really?” he asked softly.

She nodded.

“Really.” She confirmed. “You are my love god Miles Copeland. You make me so happy.”

“I promise that I will from now on.” He said leaning forward and kissing her softly.

“Get rid of the beard and I’ll consider moving back in.” Lee told him.

Miles looked at her before they both laughed.

“Sorted?” Ella asked moving to stand in front of them. “Because Millie is telling everyone goodbye and I have a crying daughter.”

“Oh my god Millie.” Lee cried springing up. She felt herself go dizzy and gasped.

“Steady.” Ella said softly reaching out to her. “Ok?” she asked after a moment.

Lee nodded.

“Want some water?”

“I’m fine.” Lee told her ignoring Miles’ enquiring look as she moved off to get her daughter.

Miles stood and looked at the way she had gone that worried look still on his face.

“She’ll be fine.” Ella told him. “It wears off in a few weeks.”

“It does?” he asked absentmindedly before her words sank in. Turning he looked at Ella before running across the garden and scooping Lee into his arms.

“Lee?” he asked holding her gently.

“Put me down you idiot.” She gasped out looking around at everyone.

“Is there something you want to tell me?” he asked her. “Like the fact that we are pregnant?”

“Ella Harris I’m going to kill you.” Lee shouted out.

Ella giggled catching Roman looking over at her. She made her way to his side and put her arms around his waist before leaning up and whispering in his ear.

“Really?” Roman said before grinning at Miles.

“Put me down please?” Lee asked.

Miles slowly lowered her to her feet.

“You are going to marry me aren’t you?” Miles asked. “So I can make us a proper family, you me Millie and bump.”

Lee nodded blushing.

“Yes fine, ok.” she said slowly before feeling his lips touching hers gently.

“Way to go!” Aden called out putting his fingers in his mouth as he whistled.

“Mike champagne?” Ella called to her son.

Mike nodded and stood heading into the kitchen where he took out a couple bottles of champagne from the fridge and began opening them before pouring out glasses.

“Congratulations.” Roman said heading over to Miles’ side and shaking his hand before leaning down and placing a kiss to Lee’s cheek.

“We’re planning a big Christmas. “ Nic announced calling across the garden. “You’ll come won’t you?” She asked them grinning at Ella’s expression.

“They may want to be…” Ella began.

“No.” Lee said holding Miles’ hand. “We would like that wouldn’t we?”

“You sure?” Miles asked her.

“They are family.” Lee said softly.

Miles nodded.

“They are.” He agreed looking over at Roman. “And I’ve missed them.”

“Ok better sort out our kids.” Ella told Lee and the two women moved into the house together.

“I’m stopping at two.” Miles told Roman.

Roman laughed.

“Yeah, I said that too.” He murmured turning and seeing to the BBQ.

Miles paled as he heard the excited squeal of the kids from inside the house before he slowly smiled.

Chapter 63

It was late when Roman cleared the last of the pots into the dishwasher and set it on. He rinsed his hands before drying them on a towel and headed up the stairs switching off the lights as he moved through the house. Everyone else was in bed and he tried not to scowl as he headed into the bedroom. Ella had turned in an hour ago leaving him with Miles for a bit before the other man headed to bed and he’d moved into the kitchen to clean up. She’d known that he’d wanted to do that and left him to it. Which meant that she knew he had things on his mind. He was in no mood to talk to her about it.

Who was he kidding? She had a way of getting stuff out of him without turning a hair. He hated that about her. The way she would get inside his head, worming his secrets from him and then using his weaknesses against him. He sighed at the way his thoughts were going.

Stepping into the bedroom he saw that she’d left his light on for him and that made him scowl again too. Walking around the bed he stripped off his clothes and climbed naked under the covers placing his hand under his head as he lay back looking at the travelling shadows going across the ceiling.

“’K?” she mumbled.

“Fine.” He bit out. “Just how many more people are you going to tell?” he added after a moment.

“Hundreds.” Ella mumbled rolling away from him and snuggling down in the bed.

“Ok then.” Roman said sarcastically.

“By the way I spent the night with Miles.” She informed him.

“You did what?” Roman roared out forgetting to lower his voice in deference to the people staying overnight.

Ella opened her eyes and pushed back the covers climbing out of bed.

“Ella.” Roman bit out reaching to capture hold of her arm.

She tugged her arm away from him and strode naked into the en suite. He waited a moment thinking about following her when she came back out and climbed back into the bed.

“Want to tell me exactly what you mean by that statement?” he asked her his tone hostile. The thought that she could have slept with him after sleeping with his best friend made him want to hit her. That and more. He hadn’t been this angry with her for a long time and he hated himself for it. For losing his control.

“I mean I spent the night with Miles. All night.” She enunciated clearly.

“Is that some way of telling me that you had sex with him?” he asked her in the same tone.

“No I’m pretty certain if I’d had sex with someone I’d tell you.” She told him.

“Ella.” He shouted out.

She turned in the bed and looked at him.

“I spent the night with Miles.” She told him. “When he was going through a bad phase. I’m telling you so that you don’t hear it from someone else and put two and two together and come up with a sordid five.”

Roman looked at her and swore. He remembered how innocent she’d been when they first met. How just the mention of her staying the night with someone would have had her blushing. He looked at her now, seeing not his Ella but someone he’d tainted with his experience and his sordid life.

“Fine.” He bit out, laying back under the covers and switching out the light. He felt her lay down beside him and a part of him wanted to pull her close to him and put his arms around her. How he congratulated himself when she would snuggle up next to him and put her head on his shoulder. Or go to sleep their bodies spooned together with his arm around her. He always had the desire to protect her even in his sleep.

He lay awake a long time feeling his body tense as his mind played images back to him like a second rate movie.

“El.” He said softly after a long time.

“We didn’t have sex.” She told him back.

“I know.” He conceded. “But it hurt.”

“Why?” she muttered rolling over.

“Because I own you.” He told her rolling over himself and looking into her eyes. He didn’t’ know what he expected from her at that statement, probably for her to hit him and get mad but she lay beside him and remained silent waiting from him to speak. “I own your heart and you have mine and calmly telling me that you spent the night with him and all that implies, well that sounded like you didn’t care about me. Didn’t respect me.”

Ella sighed.

“I think the point that I took care of your best friend when he needed someone would have been…”

“El.” He interrupted her. “I can’t do this.”

“What?” she asked him.

“Be all nice and joking. I can’t take you being hurt in any way. Even if I’m the one hurting you.”

“I’m confused.” Ella told him frowning.

“I wanted to.” He stopped and took a breath. “Hurt you.”

“When I told you about being with Miles?” she clarified.

He nodded.

“And it’s made you think of all the other times, when you hurt me, when my mother did, when…”

“Gardy, Elliot, Chris.” He listed. “If Alexi gets to you it’ll kill me.”

Ella sighed.

“I can’t stay back and let you deal with it.” she told him. “This is my family.” She paused, “and that includes you.”

Roman sighed.

“I can’t deal with you being hurt.” He told her. “So where does that leave us?”

“I think that leaves us with an impossible situation.” She said rolling away from him and moving restlessly in the bed. “You need to decide if you want our marriage to continue knowing of course that I’m involved in this mess because I’m your wife and our children are threatened.”

Roman growled under his breath before rolling over and pulling her hard against him.

“I take it that is a yes.” Ella said with a soft giggle.

“Don’t even joke about it.” He muttered. “God Ella if I can’t bear you to be hurt then how am I going to manage with you leaving me.”

“You might have left me.” She pointed out. “Is this what has been going through your head tonight? You’ve been tense all night.”

“Have I?” he asked her. “I’m feeling some things tense right now.”

“I think I’m getting a feeling of what.” She said with a soft laugh.

“Oh really?” Roman asked pressing closer to her. He began to kiss the back of her neck as he ran his hands over her body. Cupping her breasts he felt the hardening points of her nipples and bit back a moan.

“So what is it going to be? Fast and hard or slow? Taking all night?” she said slowly arching against him.

“Oh I don’t know.” He said. “Maybe a mix of both.”

“Did we solve the issue or are you just distracting me with sex again.”

Roman tugged her on to her back and looked into her eyes before he lowered his lips to hers.

“It’s making love.” He told her as he kissed her.

She gave a soft moan and lifted her arms to him pulling him closer to her. He trailed kisses down her body sucking on her rock hard nipples before moving down her body. He guided her legs open and touched her intimately, his fingers gliding over her sex before he began to stroke her. He loved the feel of her and the way she moved under his touch, but most of all he loved that she still hadn’t lost the innocence that made her squirm even as he pleasured her.

“I want to kiss you.” He said softly.

Ella moaned.

“Can I?” he asked and saw her look at him with those amazing eyes of hers. “Is that a yes?” he murmured lowering his lips to her thighs. He kissed and teased with his tongue before finding the small nub at the top of her sex. Sucking on it he made her moan before he licked and kissed and tasted. He felt her hips lift and her breathing quicken.

“I love this.” He told her. “Love making love to you with my mouth and my fingers.”

Ella moaned once more.

“Love making you come.” He added and grinned when she squirmed.

Kissing her again, he began to use his tongue to drive her over the edge. He watched as she arched up off the bed tossing her head abck on the pillow before she slowly lay back down.

“I love that.” He told her kissing her thighs. Kissing her belly, swirling his tongue around her navel. He kissed his way up her ribs until he looked on her breasts before kissing them. Moving between her still spread legs he sighed as her hands reached out for him pulling him against her.

“Want me?” he asked.

“Yes.” She cried out softly. “Please love me.”

Roman laughed softly moving so that he rubbed against her sex. He cried out as he felt her hands pressing on his backside as she pulled him inside her.

“Oh god I love when you do that.” He growled out near her ear.

She lifted her hips and wrapped her legs around his. Her hands still pressing into the firm flesh of his buttocks as she pulled his closer to her.

He began to thrust deep into her feeling as close to her as he could get.

“I love you.” She told him.

He sighed as he wrapped his arms around her, a part of him feeling that he’d already lost her even though they were making love.

Chapter 64

Ella watched as Roman came down the stairs. She shot him a quick smile before looking around the children.

“Did I miss breakfast?” he asked her giving her a smile back.

“Sophie kept some back for you.” She told him. “We’re going shopping.”

“Oh,” he said sounding disappointed.

“No.” she told him with a giggle. “All of us. “

“All?” he questioned.

Ella nodded.

“Here Daddy.” Meggy said showing him on a map. “It’s a long drive so we are going to keep the babies amused but we chose it so you can come with us.”

Ella smiled as she caught Roman looking at her.

“You did, huh,” he said.

He saw Meggy nod.

“Well that is great but I don’t have any money.” He murmured again looking at Ella.

“Neither do we.” Sammy grumbled.

“Shouldn’t have spent it on that game.” Ella said again to her son. She looked at Roman. “You know that game we didn’t want them to have last year?”

Roman frowned for a moment before he nodded.

“Yeah.” He confirmed.

“They went and bought it.” Ella said.

“I hope you confiscated it.” Roman said back almost laughing at the look on Sammy’s face.

“I forgot about that bit.” Ella murmured. “Better go get me that game.”

Sammy whimpered and looked at them before he stood up.

“So not fair.” He cried out.

Roman laughed and put his hand on Sammy’s shoulder.

“So you bought the game.” He said quietly.

Sammy nodded.

“It’s really good.” He began to explain all about it his face lighting up when Roman nodded in places showing interest.

“So are we going shopping?” Meggy asked leaning forward.

“I should think so.” Ella said.

“Breakfast.” Sophie called out placing a plate on the table.

“Thanks.” Roman said going over to the table and sitting down. He smiled stupidly when Ella moved to sit with him pouring out coffee for him along with herself. “So shopping.” He said quietly looking at her.

“Yeah, we need to do Christmas shopping.”

Roman nodded thoughtfully as he speared a piece of bacon with his fork and put it in his mouth.

“Ok.” he said meeting her eyes. “And I suppose you want to get the tree out of the attic and decorate it?”

“Yes!” Meggy cried out excitedly from the other side of the room.

Ella smiled ruefully and met his gaze.

“I think that might be a good idea.” She told him.

“You going to be doing stockings again?” he asked her.

Ella sighed.

“We didn’t do them last year.” She said quietly. “So it might be good.”

Roman nodded and reached for her hand taking it within his own as he finished his breakfast one handed. He missed Meggy and Sophie exchanging a look and grinning.

“You know I like stockings.” He said and found himself blushing as Ella gave him a look. “Not in that way.” He mumbled around a mouthful of food.

“Daddy manners.” Sammy called out.

Roman looked at Ella and saw her eyes light up as she chuckled. He found his heart pound in his chest as he looked at her and she smiled right back at him. He took in her blue eyes, so deep in colour that he could swear they were violet sometimes and her long hair that flowed around her shoulders. It was tousled just the way he liked it as though she had just tumbled out of bed, more importantly his bed. He caught her looking at him and he grinned because he was busted, she had known exactly what he had been thinking as he looked at her.

She stood and leaned over kissing him on the cheek before heading out of the room and through to the study.

“Has everyone gone home?” Roman asked.

“Yes Daddy. Aden said he had to go to work and sober up.” Meggy told him.

“Yeah, he told Geoff that if he stayed much longer he’d have to start going to the AA meetings that Geoff runs now.” Sammy announced.

“About those, has your mother signed you up for them yet?” Roman asked him.

“Hey!” Sammy groaned rolling his eyes. “It was just one beer.”

Roman laughed before he stood and took his plate through to the kitchen.

“’Up” Georgie mumbled coming into the kitchen, he was just wearing pyjama bottoms and padding barefoot, his hair unbrushed and the hint of pale stubble on his cheeks. Roman was immediately struck by how grown up his son was and just how much he was like himself remembering how he was just the same at 13.

“Coffee is through there.” Roman told him.

Georgie nodded and grabbed a cup before heading over to the table and sitting down.

“Want breakfast?” Sophie called. “I can…”

“Its cool.” Georgie called out. “I’ll get some cereal.”

Sophie blushed and nodded before she stepped out of the kitchen and made her way over to the stairs.

“You getting ready?” Meggy called.

“Yeah.” Sophie answered.

Meggy got up and ran over to the stairs herself, the two girls going up them giggling and talking.

He moved over to the study door resisting the urge to knock as he went inside.

“Hey.” Ella called from behind the desk.

“Hey.” He replied grinning at her.

“And what are you thinking Mister?” she asked looking up from the laptop and smiling at him.

“Just wondering why I never had this fantasy.”

“Uh huh.” Ella stood and moved over to him. “Does this fantasy involve you being punished in any way?”

“It may do. You sitting there looking like a school mistress.” He chuckled as she blushed.

“Here.” She muttered holding out something to him.

He reached for it feeling reluctant.

“What is this?” he asked when he saw what she’d placed in his hand.

“A prepaid, untraceable debit card. It’s got a thousand dollars credit on it. Don’t worry it was topped up in cash at an out of the way location. Just thought it would come in handy for you.”

Roman nodded slowly.

“Thanks.” He mumbled pulling out his wallet and opening it.

Ella caught sight of the identification in there that proclaimed him to be Frank Curzon and she couldn’t hide the hurt look that crossed over her face.

“Not for much longer.” He told her.

“I know.” She whispered. “We still haven’t talked about …”

“A lot of things.” Roman said quickly cutting her off. “I think the time for talking is past don’t you? I have to accept that you won’t let me do this alone and use you.”

Ella looked at him and blushed.

“I didn’t mean like that.” He told her grinning. “Although remind me to say those words to you later tonight.”

Ella giggled leaning forward so her hair would fall around her face as she tried to hide her face.

“Hey.” He murmured grinning as he tugged her over to him. He placed his hand to her face and tilted her head up to his, looking at her lips for a moment before lowering his mouth to hers. He found a strange innocence in her kiss before he pulled back and looked into her eyes once more.

“We should get ready.” She whispered.

“Uh huh.” He murmured back, thinking about kissing her again.

“Roman.” Ella gasped looking into his eyes.

“I can’t help it.” he told her. “It’s the hair and the smile and the way you blush.”

She gasped before his lips descended on hers and he kissed her again. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed herself closer to him feeling his hard body pressing against hers. It made her moan against his lips as she felt herself melting in his embrace.

“Wow.” He murmured when he lifted his head and looked once more into her eyes.

“I don’t know what is going on between us.” She told him sounding confused. “one minute you are so angry at me and the next it’s like you can’t keep your hands off me. I don’t get what is going on with you.”

Roman sighed and pulled her close once more resting his head on top of hers. He felt her tremor in his arms and hated himself, especially for what he’d said last night.

“We have too much to deal with.” He mumbled.

“Nothing we haven’t dealt with before.”

“But that is it Ella, don’t class him the same as Elliot or Gardy because he’s not.” Roman said feeling himself get angry again.

“I’m scared.” Ella admitted. “I’m scared that this will take you away from us again. I don’t want to live through that again.” She began to cry and angrily wiped away her tears.

“El,” he murmured huskily.

“We need to get going.” She told him pulling away and forcing her face into a neutral expression. “The kids are looking forward to this.”

Roman nodded as he stepped back away from her. He saw his wallet on the floor where he’d dropped it when he’d put his arms around her and he bent down picking it up. He sighed when he saw that the sim card had fallen out of it and was on display.

“What’s that?” she asked.

“Nothing.” He prevaricated.

She moved suddenly and grabbed hold of his hand preventing him from putting it away.

“Roman.” She gasped.

“It had pictures of you on.” He mumbled. “I couldn’t let it go.”

“I thought someone had stolen it.” she gasped remembering. “Then I forgot all about it.”

“Well.” He mumbled flushing.

“What pictures?” she asked him.

She walked around the desk and looked at her pc before sitting in front of it touching the mouse made the screensaver disappear and she clicked on her emails opening ones from Pete until she found the one she wanted. Clicking on the icon she opened up the photos file that his sim card contained.

“Ok.” she murmured glancing at him. “They look pretty innocent.” She said before she gasped.

“What?” he asked coming around the desk. “Oh.” He murmured grinning.

“You pig.” She muttered glaring at him. “I was asleep.”

“Of course you were.” He agreed still grinning. “If you were awake you wouldn’t let me take naked photos of you.”

“No wonder you kept the sim.” She snapped out. “Your private porn collection.”

“Ella.” He murmured and reached out snatching his hand back when she snapped the laptop shut.

“Don’t talk to me.” She told him standing up and walking out of the study.

Roman stood back and watched her go before he opened up the laptop and looked at the pictures. He scrolled through the remaining pictures and grinned thinking that he was lucky she hadn’t gone through the rest before he closed down the laptop and followed her out. Turning back he went and picked up the debit card she had given him and put that in his wallet before joining her in the hallway.

“Who’s driving?” he asked her.

She glared at him before turning away.

“So you aren’t talking to me? This should be fun. Do we have a shopping list?” he murmured smiling.

She flicked a look at him before walking away and collecting her handbag from the sofa. She tucked it over her shoulder and walked out to the car opening it up and checking the car seats. She turned and looked at Roman standing behind her and muttered something under her breath as she saw him still grinning at her.

“What do you need?” he asked quietly. “Are we bringing the twins?”

She nodded.

“I packed a bag with drinks it’s in the kitchen and then there is the twins bag in the nursery.”

“Ok I’ll sort that go get everybody.”

Ella nodded before sighing when he caught hold of her hand.

“I love you.” He told her. “I love your body. I think you are so beautiful. That is why I tool the photos.”

“Photos? Plural?” she asked hissing the words at him.

Roman sighed before grinning again.

“Kids.” He pointed out.

“You are so sleeping outside tonight.” She muttered yanking her arm away and stalking into the house.

Roman looked up at the sky and muttered something before turning around and going into the house. He grabbed the drinks bag and took that into the car. Before heading around the back and checking that the pushchair was in there.

“I’m not sitting next to Sammy he fidgets.” Meggy cried out as she walked towards the car. Roman saw that she had hold of Liam’s hand and guided her brother into the car. She saw him into his seat strapping him in and finding some toys in the pocket in front of him to keep him occupied.

“Dada come?” he called out.

Roman closed the back and moved around the side.

“Dada comes.” He told him leaning forward and pressing a kiss to his head. “We love shopping.”

“Dada lies.” Meggy muttered silently.

“Hey.” Roman called out.

Meggy smiled at him and he grinned back seeing Ella’s smile on his daughter’s face. He loved his wife for that and tried to get rid of the soppy expression on his face when she came out with the twins. He helped her lift them into the car placing their bag at their feet.

Sophie was next out with Lily, seating her sister next to Liam.

“Here you go Lils.” Sophie called handing her one of her storybooks.

It was then that he noticed Sophie had a handbag and looking across he saw that Meggy did too.

“What..” he began to ask when Ella poked him in the ribs.

“You are sitting in the back until we stop.” She told him.

“El.” He began.

“Get in.” she told him.

“Just have to get something.” He mumbled turning and heading into the house.

Ella watched him go before looking over at a reluctant Sammy coming out of the house.

“What is it?” she asked him.

“Meggy said she’s not sitting next to me.”

“She is.” Ella murmured looking at him. “Got your wallet with you?”

He nodded.

“Not that there is a lot in it.” he said.

“Have you checked it?” Ella asked.

He gave her a look before slowly smiling and taking it out of his back pocket. He opened it and laughed as he saw the bank notes Ella had slipped inside.

“When?” he muttered.

“I think it was the Christmas fairy.” Ella whispered near his ear.

“Mummy.” He cried happily putting his wallet away securely before getting in the car.

Georgie came out next still looking half asleep.

“In the front.” Ella called out as he began moving to the seat next to Sophie.

“K.” he muttered climbing in.

Ella sighed and turned to the house. She began tapping her foot waiting for Roman ignoring the looks that the children passed with each other.

“Finally.” She muttered when he came out of the house.

“This could be an interesting trip. Somebody used up all my deodorant.”

“Yuk Daddy!” Meggy cried out.

“So riding in the back.” Ella told him moving around the car and getting in behind the wheel.

Roman chuckled as he got in and closed the door. He checked all the children were in securely smiling as Ella met his gaze in the rear view mirror.

“Ok?” she asked.

He nodded doing up his own seatbelt.

“First stop a pharmacy.” Ella said as they set off.

Chapter 65

Sammy wasn’t talking.

Meggy and Sophie had fallen out over a lipstick.

Georgie kept shooting looks at Roman about their argument over deodorant.

Lily and Liam had a falling out and had needed to be separated, meaning that the twins were upset because they were sitting separately.

Ella wasn’t talking to any of them as she drove them home, and thanks to her long hair she was able to cover up the fact that she was now listening to music courtesy of her Ipod. The hair covering the headphones in her ears and the wire tucked down the side of her.

She looked out on the road ahead wondering if she could drop any of them off somewhere. Maybe, she mused, she could go into witness protection and leave the rest of them behind. Although she suspected they would track her down, at least she could have a couple of days peace. The song ended and she heard Meggy and Sophie arguing again.

“Do I have to stop the car and make you walk the rest of the way?” she asked just before a Queen song started. Bohemian Rhapsody. She remembered listening to this a long time ago when she had her motorbike and would just go for endless rides around the country, her, her camera and her music. She had to admit she’d liked having a motorbike again, it beat driving this minibus around.

She pulled the car into the driveway and turned off the engine before slowly turning off her Ipod.

“Right I want absolute silence from now until bedtime. Get in the house.” She told them.

Roman looked at her before he climbed out of the back of the car and stretched. He helped the twins out first letting them get into the house before helping Lily and Liam. The others got out next and he looked at Ella still sitting in the drivers seat before he got back in the car next to her.

“Not planning to make a run for it are you?” he asked.

Ella sighed.

“Only for a few days, a week at most.” She told him. “You won’t miss me.”

Roman chuckled.

“And anyway, you really need to spend some time with them.” she added giving a small evil smile as she contemplated him looking after the twins and Lily and Liam.

“Uh huh Mrs Harris.” He muttered leaning forward and kissing her. He reached up and removed her headphones at the same time.

“Hey.” She cried out.

“There was no way you were that calm with what was going on in the car.” He murmured kissing the end of her nose. “You were fantasising about going into witness protection weren’t you?”

“How did you get that?” she murmured the question, tilting her head to one side as she gave him a look.

“Oh you kept giving me looks and giggling. Like you were plotting to leave me with the kids knowing I wouldn’t cope, of course.”

Ella sighed.

“Maybe, just for a week or two.” She sighed once more.

“I’ll remind you of that when we ship them out after Christmas and you look at me with tears in your eyes…..”

“No chance!” she interrupted him. “After today they are going up for adoption.” She pulled back and out her Ipod in her handbag before she climbed out of the car and walked around the back of it. She grinned at Roman as he joined her.

“So we’ve decided, I’ll go see Betsy and sort out everything at the shack whilst you finish up with the present shopping.” He outlined the plan they had made earlier.

She nodded as she lifted the first bags out of the back. He held out his hands for them and she handed them over trying not to smile at the way he always did that. She may have missed having him around the past year but she wasn’t going to admit it.

“Do I have to reiterate that we aren’t buying diamonds in any shape or form this year. In fact no precious stones and any jewellery purchase has to be approved by me beforehand.” He murmured.

Ella turned and gave him a smile before reaching for more bags.

“Ella.” He murmured her name.

She paused in what she was doing and looked at him.

“Are you planning to tell me what to do?” she asked looking up at him. “Because that has worked out so well for you in the past. Do I have to mention photos? And point out that you are still sleeping in the garden tonight.”

“Don’t I even get to go sleep in the stables?” he asked.

“That has a roof that will protect you from the forecast rain shower so no.” Ella muttered handing over the bags and ignoring his ‘Oumph’ of surprise at the added weight.

“Well how about I be your slave for the evening? Cook dinner, look after the kids, then give you an all over massage.” He said softly leaning forward and kissing the spot behind her ear on the side of her neck.

“No.” she told him collecting more bags. “But you are on kid duty. And that is because of the childish way you behaved in the store.”

“Georgie started it.” he protested and saw her eyes flash at him again.

“Georgie is a teenager. What is your excuse?” she asked him as she walked past him and into the house. He looked at the way she had gone before he followed her, seeing that she had taken the shopping into the study. He quickly caught up with her and kicked the door shut behind him shutting them both in.

“I wouldn’t have said anything but you took his side.”

“Because he was in the right. It was his deodorant you’ve been using or do you think I have a stash of men’s stuff just in case I bring home random men.”

“So whose razor and shaving foam have I been using?” Roman muttered.

“Mike’s.” Ella told him. “There is nothing of yours here anymore.” She added.

Roman flinched and stepped back before he realised he was clutching on to the bags. He put them on the long sofa and put his hands in his pockets.

“So.” He mumbled feeling incredibly hurt by the statement.

“Toiletries.” Ella added. “Attic.” She muttered walking past him and out of the room. He looked at the ceiling before he followed her and moved up the stairs behind her into the attic. He found himself watching the way her backside filled out her jeans and remembered that the attic was one room they hadn’t made love. She’d been spooked by cobwebs and refused him. He’d made her, well he’d deeply enjoyed what he’d talked her into doing. Smiling at the old memories he saw her seated by a large trunk.

“Here.” She told him. “Things I couldn’t get rid off.”

She opened it and he saw his tuxedo on the top as she peeled back layers of tissue paper. She took it out and put it carefully to one side.

“The suit you wore for our wedding.” She told him. “These trousers that you always wear when you take me out to dinner. This t shirt that makes you look so hot. This, and this and…” she broke down as she lifted things out of the trunk and placed them around her. “And I did this just a couple of weeks before you popped up alive.” She added in a brittle voice.

“El.” He said softly kneeling beside her.

She looked up at him, tears still shining in her eyes although she’d wiped them away from her cheeks.

“This T-shirt?” he said slowly picking it up and unfolding it. “I haven’t worn it for years.”

She nodded.

“But I like it on you.” She muttered pulling it towards her and cradling it.

“These trousers?” he asked looking at them. “Did you keep the white shirt I wear with them?”

Ella blushed.

“It’s in my wardrobe.” She whispered.

Roman smiled and moved over to her kissing her.

“If I ever doubt your love for me just send me up here.” He told her quietly. “This is love. All the memories that you have, not just the big days in our lives like the wedding and going out to dinner but the everyday stuff.” He gestured to the T-shirt she was still holding., wrapped in her arms, like she was holding him.

“Going out to dinner was a big thing?” she picked up on.

“Oh yeah, first you wouldn’t’ leave Sammy and then we got into the habit of not doing it.” he said and flushed when she gave him a look, raising her eyebrow. “Going out.” he said emphasising it.

She nodded.

“We had fun though being at home? Didn’t we?” she asked him looking up at him and biting her full bottom lip.

Roman reached out and took the t shirt from her nervous hands before he pulled her close to him and held her.

“We had amazing fun.” He said moving so that he could lift her into his lap. “Dinner in front of the tv when we got them in bed. Holding each other and kissing. When I was out there alone I missed just holding you most. I love the way you feel in my arms and the way you curl up with me.”

Ella sighed and wrapped her arms around him as she kissed him.

“You are still sleeping outside.” She told him as she stood up and began to move towards the door.

“Where is my other ..” he began to ask.

“Your footlocker is here too. The key is in my jewellery box.” She said to him. “When you’ve finished tidying up you need to bring the Christmas Tree down and the decorations.”

“Not loving you so much now.” He said picking up the T-shirt and throwing it at her.

She caught in one handed and grinned at him as she walked out and down the stairs.

Roman swore as he untangled the last knot in the string of lights. He plugged them in and switched them on. They lit up and he grinned.

“Very good now get them on the tree.” Ella called out. “Then you need to get cooking.”

“Mummy.” Sammy called out before he stopped and looked at her. “Am I still supposed to be quiet?”

Ella nodded.

“Whoops.” He said watching as her lips twitched before she laughed at him. He went over to her and sat beside her. “Are we decorating it?” he asked gesturing to the tree.

Ella nodded stroking his hair back from his face.

“Haircut?” he asked.

She nodded.

“What do you think babes?” she asked him.

Sammy turned his face away so she wouldn’t see him smile because he liked the way she still called him babes sometimes only to flush with embarrassment as Meggy grinned at him.

“Mama prettys.” Lily called.

Ella smiled at her.

“How about we go find your pretty’s?” Sophie called out.

“How about Meggy does.” Ella said instead. “And Sophie sits and puts her feet up for a while.”

Meggy looked at her sister before she nodded and moved over to Lily taking her to the box of decorations.

“Mum.” Sophie protested.

“Do as she says before Christmas is cancelled.” Sammy called out quickly.

Ella giggled and kissed the top of her son’s head before she gave Sophie a look.

“Fine, I’m resting.” Sophie said leaning back with a sigh. She ignored the look that Ella gave her before catching her Dad looking over at her and she flushed.

“No Chissstmass?” Liam lisped catching up with the conversation. “But I ..I…. I likes it.” he said giving them a big eyed look.

Ella chucked at her son before going over and picking him up.

“See the tree?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“Where is your bauble?” she murmured heading to the big box of decorations and sitting down next to it. She took out some tinsel and gave that to Liam smiling as he went over to the tree and started putting it on. He was more decorative this year because he didn’t just throw it expecting it to land on the tree, instead he swirled it around the branches.

“Prettys.” Lily told him.

Ella lifted out more stuff and left it within range of them before she stood and casually walked over to where Roman was standing.

“Are you cooking or what? I think they are getting hungry.”

He mock growled at her before he walked into the kitchen smiling because she followed him.

“Sophie?” he asked quietly.

“What?” she asked back giving him an innocent look.

“You know what.” He muttered out of earshot of the kids in the other room.

“Oh the feet up thing.” Ella said opening the fridge.

He nodded and then realised that she wasn’t looking at him.

“Yeah, that thing.” He said more aggressively that he’d planned.

Ella smiled innocently at him and he growled, nothing mock about it this time, he thought.

“She’s like me.” She told him quietly.

“Oh.” He said taking a step back. “So er… she want anything special to eat?”

Ella turned and looked at him.

“Maybe she’s having cravings.” She said and watched him flush.

“It is not nice to pick on me woman.” He said. “I can’t help it that I’m protective of my daughter.”

“Yeah. Protective. Can’t wait until you meet Steve.” She said. “It’s that time of the month for her and she doesn’t normally slow down so sometimes I have to make her is all I meant by putting her feet up.”

Roman sighed.

“Does she try and clean the house top to bottom?” he asked taking things out of the freezer.

“Not normally.” Ella replied distracted as she got salad things out or the fridge.

“Does she insist on doing everything like normal”? he asked

Ella looked up at that question and glared at him.

“Just trying to judge how like you she is, dear.” He said in a pacifying tone of voice.

“Yeah, still sleeping outside.” She muttered grabbing a beer from the fridge and stalking into the other room. She heard Roman’s laughter following her before she was cornered by Fleur and then August, the two babies wanting to decorate the tree with her.

Chapter 66

“Who’s there?” Betsy called out.

Silence greeted her call and she focused once more and cashing up the register. She couldn’t believe how much she missed Frank, he didn’t mind closing up and taking the burden away from her. She was reaching sixty-three and could feel the age creeping up on her. Frank rolling into town had been like a breath of fresh air. It helped that he wasn’t that bad to look at. Hell, she may be 63 but she weren’t blind.

She couldn’t believe that he’d split on her with no explanation. Whoever his ex was she must have been pretty special to make him run after her like he did. But then there was always something about him she couldn’t put her finger on. He’d talk about things nice and friendly like and then suddenly clam up. And damn if she didn’t see a sheen of tears in his eyes especially around kids. Not that he avoided them, she often caught him giving out free treats to them earning a sloppy kiss or a smile in return. They seemed to keep him going so she was surprised when he’s told her he didn’t have kids, he was so comfortable around them.

Tilting her head to one side she heard the noise again and felt a shiver run down her spine, she could swear that it sounded like footsteps but it was half five and she’d locked up so there shouldn’t be anyone inside.

“Hello?” she called out hating the nervous way the word sounded as it escaped past her lips.

She closed the till and locked it putting the key to one side before looking through the back and into the kitchen. It seemed suddenly dark in there and full of menacing shadows. Turning she picked up the phone she began to dial for the police when the first blow rained down on the back of her head. She dropped the receiver and made a surprised gurgling noise that struck her as being extremely funny and opened her mouth to laugh when the second blow knocked her unconscious and she crumpled to the floor. A third and fourth blow ended her life and left her slumped like a discarded store mannequin on the cold tiled floor. There was no mercy in her killing.

“Hey.” Ella called out to him.

“Oh.” Roman murmured coming back to the present.

“You were a long way away for a moment.” She said quietly looking around the room. She caught sight of the tree and he gaze lingered on it. “We should go over and give Mike his bauble.”

She loved the way the children had decorated it this year. Meggy had done a lot of the work with the twins and Lily and Liam before the others had wandered up to it to add on their baubles with their names on. The kids must have been talking because they had put their stockings on the mantelpiece and grinned at her.

“Come on then.” Roman called out placing his dinner plate on the side near the sink. “Sammy please clear the table.” He asked.

Sammy grinned as he put a last forkful of his dinner into his mouth before he nodded.

Ella stood and moved into the kitchen wiping her hands before she collected Mike and Danni’s baubles and the smaller box. She saw Roman smile at her and they eased out of the back and along to the poolhouse. Roman stopped by the shed and took out a box that they had bought earlier that day before he caught up with her and then went up to the door. Ella looked at him before she knocked softly and opened the door.

“Hey.” Danni called out softly. “Jennie has just this minute gone down. Half five on the dot.”

“She do that often then?” Roman asked before feeling Ella and Danni start looking at him. “Ok, so I do tune out some baby talk.” He admitted.

Ella smiled at him before turned to Danni.

“Where is that son of mine?” she asked.

“I’m here.” Mike called softly stepping backwards out of the room they had made into the nursery.

“We bought you a present.” Ella said to them.

Roman placed the box on the table and stepped back as Danni gasped.

“You should have…” she began giving Mike a glare.

Mike grinned at her unrepentantly.

“Did you get it?” he asked his Mum and saw her nod.

“Here you go.” She told him handing over one of the smaller boxes she had.

Danni looked at the exchange before she watched him open the box and she saw their baubles.

“Wow.” She gasped.

“Mum.” Mike said.

Ella grinned happily and handed Danni the final box.

“What is this?” she asked looking puzzled.

“Open it.” Mike told her sounding excited.

Danni shot another look at him before she opened the box and saw another bauble in there. She gasped and slowly carefully lifted it out and looked at it.

“Jennifer Elainea Sophie.” she read out the name on it. “Oh wow,” she gasped before tears poured out of her eyes and she looked round at them all.

“So you can have your own tree can’t you. We didn’t get you anything else to decorate we thought we’d leave that to you.” Roman told them.

Danni nodded and looked up at Mike who was grinning at her.

“Happy?” he asked her smiling some more as she nodded again.

“Ok then.” Ella said blinking back her own tears before she moved and hugged both of them. “It’s good to have you home.” She whispered.

“Hey, this is so unfair I have hormones to deal with.”

“So do I.” Roman said with feeling.

Ella shot him a look.

“I’ll mention to Sophie that you said that.” Ella muttered. “And you are still sleeping in the garden.”

She turned and walked out of the poolhouse stalking up the garden she’d threatened him with.

“Dad?” Mike asked.

“It’s nothing.” Roman told him with a grin, confident that there were at least six hours to go before bedtime and he could probably talk his way back into the house. “I leave you to it.” he said going the way that Ella had gone.

Ella sighed as she tugged on the t shirt and padded barefoot over to the bed. She climbed in under the covers and lay down on the pillows. She’d left Roman dealing with the children while she went for a bath and then afterwards she’d snuggled down on the sofa with Sophie and Meggy having a girlie chat before they had gone up to bed. Roman had hid in the kitchen at that point until she called out her goodnight. He’d looked at her as she moved up the stairs.

“You are really making me sleep outside?” he’d stuttered and she’d nodded leaving him and coming to bed. She’d decided on a whim as she hung up her bathrobe in the en suite to wear the t shirt that she had taken out of the trunk earlier liking the way it felt when she wore it. She’d slept in many of his t shirts after she’d first ‘lost’ him and knew that Sophie did too.

Looking over to the window she chuckled when she saw it open.

“I said the garden.” She called out. “And I meant it.”

The window opened wider and Roman climbed in.

“I forgot something.” He told her.

“Like what?” she asked sitting up in the bed.

“I was going to make my woman scream with pleasure.” He told her walking towards the bed pulling off his top. He tried not to smirk when he saw what she was wearing but he couldn’t help it. He reckoned that he was going to be spending a few more nights in the garden because of it but he planned on doing his best to change her mind.

“Uh huh.” She said feeling a tremor go through her.

She looked at him feeling as though her eyes were on stalks as she watched him perform a striptease in front of her. He was impossibly male and very much aroused as he took two more steps towards the bed. She had the suspicion that he really was going to make her scream and felt herself shiver with reaction.

He grinned at her as he reached the bed and reached out to peel down the covers.

“So how would you like it?” he asked still smirking.

“Er…” she mumbled.

He moved suddenly reaching out for the hem of the t shirt and dragged it up over her head before dropping it on the floor and leaving her naked on the bed, his eyes travelling over her body as though he were using his gaze to caress her. He heard her breathing quicken and he smiled before he moved to kneel next to her on the bed. Bending down he kissed her belly before licking a trail across her navel. He heard her gasps of pleasure and he smiled.

“I love you.” He told her passionately.

Ella sighed and reached out for him pulling him to lie next to her in the bed. She ran her fingers down his chest sucking in a sharp breath when he moaned at her touch.

“I’m making love to you.” He protested smiling into her eyes.

“Maybe I want to make love to you.” She pointed out. “Maybe we could make love to each other.” she suggested quietly.

Roman reached out and traced his finger down her face looking into her eyes and then he lowered his lips to hers and kissed her. He felt the first tentative touched of her tongue to his lips and welcomed the caress before returning it. Moving slightly in the bed he began to stroke her body loving the silk feel of her skin under his fingertips. He teased her nipples before lowering his head and loving them with his mouth. He knew then that this was going to be one of those nights when they made love all night. When he pleasured her over and over again because he loved the cries she made, the way she touched him back the way she curled up in his arms afterwards.

“I love you.” She whispered before kissing him deeply.

Roman sighed and kissed her back.

Chapter 67

Ella watched as Roman tried to start his car.

“Uh huh.” She called out at the look on his face.

“Thank you.” He muttered getting out of the drivers side and standing before moving around the front and opening up the bonnet. He looked at the engine with a frown on his face.

“Why don’t you just let me take you?” she asked him. “I mean we aren’t going to get there until after dark so arriving in the same car shouldn’t be too much of a give away.”

Roman looked over at her.

“The idea was that you go shopping whilst I pack up the shack.” He muttered.

“Well it will be quicker if we both do it and then I can drop you off with Betsy and wait for you.”

Roman gave her a look before he pressed down on the distributor cap and moved back round to the drivers’ side and tried again. It took two tries before the engine stuttered into life and he grinned. He decided not to let on that he only knew two things to try to start an engine, the distributor and the spark plugs. Oh and check that it had petrol.

“I’ll call you.” He promised her. “Don’t buy jewellery, or diamonds.” He added.

Ella watched as he pulled out grinning as his car stuttered some more before he revved it and drove off. She climbed back behind the wheel of her car and chuckled to herself as she thought about how she could get round his diamonds and jewellery thing. As she joined the highway she saw him a couple cars in front of her and laughed as her phone buzzed.

“Hello.” She said answering the call.

“Don’t even think about it.” Roman said quietly.

“About what?” she asked back trying to sound innocent.

“You were smirking. I saw you in the mirror.” He told her and she heard the sound of him shifting gears and his engine changing revs.

“I was just smiling.” Ella protested.

“Yeah right.” He said his voice echoing around her car.

She glanced at her phone for a second before looking back at his car in front of her. She laughed and passed the two cars in front so she was directly behind him.

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” She said sticking her tongue out. She could see that he’d seen her and she laughed.

“Don’t you think we have enough to deal with without you making me feel guilty that I can’t afford what you can.” He said slowly.

Ella smiled and looked down before she put her foot on the accelerator and sped past him.

“You’ve never been able to afford what I can.” She pointed out. “And your exhaust is about to fall off.”

“Ella Harris. Slow down.” he muttered and heard laughter coming through the phone.

“I’m a better driver than you anyway.” She told him.

“No you aren’t.” he bit out. “I’ve done the defensive driving course.”

“I’ve been all around Australia on a motorbike. It makes your reflexes sharper.” She called out. “That’s why I’m in front of your clapped out motor right now.”

She heard Roman swear and she laughed.

“Later.” She called out ending the call.

Looking around she put her foot down and pulled away from him grinning as her phone rang again.

“What now?” she asked him.

“Stop driving like a maniac.” He called out before disconnecting the call before she could answer him.

Ella sighed and slowed the car watching him catch up to her in the rear-view mirror. She gave him a wave before signalling and moving into the lane that would take her off the highway. Turning her head she watched as Roman drove away past her.

‘Now then.’ she thought, ‘just have a find a way round his no jewellery rule!’

Roman sighed as he pulled on to the road that led to his shack. He’d stopped for an hour filling the car with petrol, oil and water and offering up a prayer that it would make it. He knew that he only had to call Ella and she would fetch him and his stuff letting him leave the car there. In fact thinking of it, the car belonged to Frank Curzon and he was no longer that person or at least he wouldn’t be in a few hours.

Climbing out of the car he made it to the door and frowned that the lock was undone. He must have been in a rush if he’d left it undone, he thought before he pushed the door open and stepped inside and switched on the lights before moving around and opening the curtains letting the late afternoon sun fill the place with soft light. Sighing he looked around the small space seeing just how small it seemed in comparison to the house he shared with El and the kids, despite the amount of people that lived there. He put the boxes down on the sofa and began packing up stuff. The laptop and the printer first and then he lifted out the filing box with all the information on Alexi in. Going over to the pin board he took down everything on there and tucked the pages and photos into the filing box. He put the box near the door and started gathering his clothes packing them up. After he finished packing everything he saw that he had two bags of clothes and three boxes of possessions, nothing much to show for a year of his life. He debated for a moment about loading up the car and glanced at his watch before grinning as his phone rang.

“Hey.” He said answering the call.

“Hey yourself. I’m shopped out. How you doing?” Ella said softly and he had to admit he was glad to hear her voice.

“All packed and wondering what to do next.” He said slowly. “The car only just got me here.”

He heard a pause and could imagine her looking around the car and thinking about if she had space for his stuff. She really did love spoiling the kids at Christmas. Not to mention that she was using Mike’s car in case they had needed to use hers for moving the kids around. It wasn’t that big a car.

“I can come and get you.” She said quietly. “How much stuff do you have?”

“Three, four boxes and a couple of bags.” He murmured.

“Ok I’ll head to you. Be there in a couple hours. Will that do you?” she asked.

“Perfect.”

“Might be an idea if we crash overnight before driving back.” she said after a moment.

Roman chuckled.

“Uh huh.” He murmured. “And what are you thinking about right now?” he asked moving to sit on the sofa.

“Nothing.” She said and bit her lip.

“Ella Harris how much have you spent?” he asked her.

“Not much.” She said quickly. Too quickly she thought, biting her lip again as she waited for him to say something.

“Does that mean I’m in for an interesting night?” he asked slowly in a husky sounding voice.

Ella giggled.

“Are you suggesting that I do that sort of thing to distract you?” she asked trying to sound huffy.

“Are you seriously asking me that question? You know you do.” He said feeling happy. “Now then I’m going to hang up and wait for you.”

Ella giggled again.

“Will that be naked on the bed?” she asked him.

“No.” he said. “I’m going to go get something for us to eat.”

“Ok.” Ella said softly. “See you soon.”

Roman nodded before he said his goodbyes and hung up. He picked himself up off the sofa feeling an ache in his back that he wouldn’t have felt a few years ago and grimaced before grabbing his keys and headed out to his car. He drove through the town seeing that the diner was closed and decided that he was going to have to see her the following day before he headed to the supermarket.

Moving down the aisles he wondered what to buy for dinner wanting something that was quick but also that didn’t need a lot of preparation. He settled on a tin of soup and a loaf of bread with a selection of mini cheeses. Before adding a prepared salad to his basket. Moving over to the wine aisle he looked at the shelf trying to spot something that they could both drink settling on a bottle of pink cava. Retracing his steps he walked to the chiller unit and picked up something for desert. Heading to the tills he pulled out his wallet and paid for it.

Looking at his watch he grimaced before taking a chance and heading for the antique shop they had once looked in. He saw that it was still open and he stepped inside.

“Sorry Sir, we are just closing.” The dark-haired woman behind the till called out.

“I’m after a tea service.” Roman said quickly. “With daisy’s on it.”

She looked up and gave him a smile.

“Well.” She began before coming around the till and leading to a shelf unit in the other room.

“That is the one.” He said. “I’ll take it.”

“Would you like it boxed up?” she asked smiling at him. “I take it that it is for someone special?”

Roman nodded.

“Yeah, “ he confirmed thinking of getting out one of the patio tables and a couple of chairs before setting it for tea and letting her find it on Christmas morning.

“I also have this.”

He looked up to see the woman showing him a cake stand with the same pattern on.

“I’ll take it.” he said again grinning.

She moved behind the till and wrapped the plates in tissue before placed them in the box before adding the wrapped saucers and cups and finally the teapot and the milk jug and sugar bowl. She began unscrewing the parts of the cake stand and once dismantled wrapped them carefully and placing them in the box.

He paid cash for it, collecting the receipt and putting it in his wallet before picking up the box and moving out to his car. Putting it on the back seat he grinned imagining her face when she saw it once more. She would give him a look being all mad at him for a while before throwing her arms around him and kissing him.

Heading back to the shack he saw her parked up already and chuckled knowing that she much have been on her way to him when she’d called.

“Hey you.” She called out looking over at him.

“Hey yourself.” he grinned climbing out of his car and walking over to her . He leaned down and kissed her before collecting the bags with the food in and took them inside placing them on the kitchen top.

“You’ve packed the throw.” She noticed.

Roman chuckled as he felt colour wash over his face.

“Distracting me so I don’t ask about what you bought?” he said softly.

“I got this cute monkey outfit for Liam.”

“Monkey?”

She groaned.

“They didn’t do the Bunny outfits in his size anymore.” She admitted feeling his eyes on her.

Roman laughed softly.

“Do we need to let them know we aren’t going back tonight?” he said after a moment.

“Already told them.” Ella admitted.

Roman smiled and leaned over kissing her again.

“I can rustle up a coffee.” He said. “Or you can start with this?”

He held up the cava.

“Trying to get me drunk?” she murmured.

“Just relaxed.” He said meeting her gaze.

“Really? And when I’m relaxed will you be asking me any questions about what I’ve been buying?” she murmured.

“I might do.”

“So what is going?” she asked him.

“I put the boxes on the veranda.” He told her.

Ella smiled and moved out seeing everything all packed up. Going over to the car she opened up the back and began sorting through the bags she had lifting them into the back seat and stacking everything neatly.

“That bag is from a jewellery store.” Roman muttered coming to stand beside her.

She grinned over at him.

“Is it?” she asked innocently.

He met her gaze maintaining eye contact until she looked away.

“Ok.” he said moving closer to her until she was pinned against the car. “We need to talk.” He told her running his fingers down her neck until they teased their way into the v shape of her blouse. He ran his fingertips over the swell of one of her breasts before sighing.

“Are you distracting yourself here?” she asked him.

Roman nodded.

“Would you like to go inside?” she whispered.

He nodded again before he lifted her up and carried her inside to the bedroom.

Chapter 68

“Yes!” Roman cried before he collapsed on top of her.

“Did you enjoy that?” Ella asked him with a soft laugh.

She stroked her hand down his back before looking up into his eyes.

“I think my toes curled.” He told her moving to one side so that he wasn’t crushing her with his weight. He felt her hands on him and sighed before catching hold of one of them and lifting it to his lips. He pressed kisses to her fingertips before looking into her eyes again and kissing her.

“So is that a yes?” she giggled before standing up and wrapping the discarded sheet around herself and began to walk to the bathroom.

“Hey Mrs Harris.” Roman called out.

She glanced back at him and laughed as he lay back totally naked, on the bed.

“Shouldn’t you be cooking for us?” she asked.

“Well…” he murmured.

Ella giggled again.

“Sex mad.”

“I didn’t not notice you complaining a moment ago.” He murmured rolling on to his side and moving the pillow under his head. “Although you did moan a bit.” He said looking at her and smiling as she blushed. “and sigh, and do that breathy little gasp thing you do.”

“That is enough.” She cried out lifting her free hand up to her face and feeling it suffuse with heat as she blushed.

“I love that you blush so prettily.” He murmured, his eyes travelling over her.

He stood from the bed and walked naked to stand before her, grazing his knuckles down her cheek.

“Love you.” He told her bending his head so he could kiss her again.

He flinched as he heard the crash of the door being forced open, the doorframe splintering under the pressure. The sound of the wood smashing sounded like a loud gunshot in the quiet of the night and after the sudden noise the quiet of the sea splashing onto the beach sounded like a strange silent hiss in comparison. Grabbing Ella he spun them around so he was standing in front of her as the two men entered the shack.

“Frank Curzon!” one of them called out.

“Ro…” Ella began before clamping down her lips cutting off the word. “What is this?” she asked instead her eyes going wide in her face.

“I don’t know.” Roman said begging her with his eyes to keep calm. “What do you want with me?” he asked feeling at a disadvantage in front of the two police officers. Talk about caught with his pants down; he thought biting back a grin at what Jacko would say about the situation. The humour faded altogether when he thought who could have been at the door.

“Frank Curzon we’re arresting you in connection with the murder of Betsy Collins.” One of them said avoiding looking at him.

“What?” Roman gasped.

His eyes shot to Ella’s in shock and he saw her face pale as she realised what this meant.

“Ro.” She began again biting her lower lip. “Is he allowed to get dressed first?” she asked recovering quicker than Roman.

They watched as the two policemen looked at each other and one nodded to the other and he approached the couple stepping past Roman and into the bedroom. He picked up the discarded shorts and checked the pockets before throwing them to Roman watching as he pulled them on.

“Shoes?” Roman said quietly. “T shirt?”

They were passed to him and he quickly put them on before looking back at Ella.

“Stay here, ok.” He said softly, urging her to make eye contact with him.

He hated that they had bust in on them while they were making love but he was grateful too that it was a couple of coppers and nothing more.

“Where are you taking him?” Ella asked lifting her chin as she felt one of them looking at her.

He stepped over to Roman and reached out taking his handcuffs from his belt and glaring at him.

“Who are you?” he asked Ella as he turned Roman around and pulled his arms back.

Ella met Roman’s gaze and shook her head declining to answer.

“I want to know where you are taking him?” she asked again.

“Just be thankful that we aren’t taking you.” The officer told her. “Come on.” He muttered to Roman.

Ella could only watch as Roman was handcuffed and his rights read out to him before they took him out of the shack and over to the police car. She moved to the veranda, clutching the wrapped sheet tightly around her and could do nothing but watch as he was placed in the back of the car and driven away. She felt scared and alone and somehow violated by the whole thing and knew Roman would be more worried about her than himself.

Roman was shown into the station and ushered into an interview room. It was similar in appearance to the one in Summer Bay police station and he stood by the chair as they removed the cuffs from his wrists. Sinking on to the chair he wondered what had happened to the kind woman who’d given him a job and helped him out when he’d moved into town.

“Interview with suspect Frank Curzon commences December 20th at 18:45.” One of the officers began as the tape began recording. “Present, Suspect Frank Cuzon, Officers Matthews and Cord.”

“So what am I doing here?” Roman asked glaring at the two police officers in from of him. He didn’t recognise either of them but that wasn’t a surprise, he had little to do with the police or even anyone else in town keeping to himself mostly.

“Betsy Collins was murdered and we found your wallet at the scene of the crime.” The officer told him.

Roman looked at them.

“My wallet?” he asked quietly.

The two officers exchanged a look before looking at him again.

Roman eased forward and stuck his hand in his shorts pocket and pulling out his wallet and placing it on the table.

“This wallet?” he asked equally as quietly feeling a shudder go down his spine. Ella was alone in the shack and someone was trying to frame him.

“Tell me when this happened?” he asked them.

“Yesterday evening.” The officer called Matthews informed him.

He looked at the pair of them before he reached out and opened his wallet. He took out the credit card that Ella had given him and placed it on the table.

“You planning on trying to bribe us?” Matthews asked sarcastically.

“Check the purchases on this card. You see that I was no where near here yesterday. I only came back today to clear out my shack.” Roman said trying to sound reasonable. “How about while you check that out I’ll have my phone call.”

“You seem familiar with police procedures there Frank.” The other officer muttered. “You been in trouble before?”

Roman tried not to smile as he thought about their surprise if they took his fingerprints and found out who he was. The dead part of that in particular would be interesting. He spared a thought for Betsy and hoped that it hadn’t been too awful for her before his thought went back to Ella.

“Phone call?” he said again looking at the pair of them.

He could see them looking at each other before Matthews leaned back and folded his arms across his chest and starred over at him.

“This isn’t a Hollywood movie.” He stated. “You don’t get a phone call.”

Roman grinned.

“Phone call or I get a brief and you don’t get to ask me anymore questions.” He told him back.

He could see from the look they exchanged that they were taken aback by his answer and he hoped they wouldn’t persist with their good cop bad cop routine.

“One phone call.” Matthews said finally. “We’ll check this out.” He added collecting the credit card from the table. “Interview suspended.”

Roman sat back in the chair and breathed out slowly. Minutes went past as they manoeuvred out of the room. He watched them talking just outside before Cord came in and fetched him leading out to a phone. Sighing he half turned before picking up the receiver and dialling.

“It’s me.” He spoke quickly once the call had been connected. “I’ve been arrested and in the police station in Queensburg.”

“What is the charge?” he heard asked.

“Like that is important. I suggest that you get here and sort this out before they take my fingerprints.” Roman muttered glancing over at the constables who were standing and talking just out of earshot. “And one other thing, Ella is at the shack and I’m pretty sure it isn’t safe.”

“What the…”

“Wasting time.” Roman told him. “I think you have about half hour before I start getting a bit testy with these fine officers.”

He issued the warning and turned checking that he wasn’t overlooked before he pressed the button to disconnect the call before dialling again. The call was answered on the first ring.

“Hello?” Ella murmured quietly.

“It’s me. I have to be quick.” Roman began and cursed when he heard a sob. “El?”

“I’m ok. I packed up and got in the car. I’m outside the station in the car. I thought that was safer.”

“The kids?”

“Are fine I checked about a minute ago. I got Jacko to go and look after them.” She said quietly.

“I have to go. “ Roman muttered catching sight of the two men starting to walk towards him “Roman!” Ella gasped sounding vulnerable.

He swore again before hanging up and turning around.

“Back in the room.” Cord told him moving over to his side.

Roman gave a small nod and let himself be escorted back into the interview room. He wondered what it was with the pale green and blue walls that seemed to be in all police stations. Did they get a bulk supply of the paint and had to use it in every station? Looking back at the copper he gave a half smile and began the wait. Patience wasn’t his strong suite and with Ella sitting outside and them being three hours journey away from the kids made him more than a little anxious.

He saw Ella sitting in a car parked close to the station and he skirted round the back of it and inside. He’d broken a number of speed limits to get here in a reasonable amount of time, hoping that they hadn’t put Roman’s fingerprints into the system. Approaching the front desk he spoke softly to the desk sergeant before flashing his badge and being escorted into the interview room where Roman was waiting.

“Well.” He began.

“Took your time.” Roman muttered.

“You should have told me that you were in contact with your family.” He said to Roman folding his arms across his chest and starring at the other man.

“And you should have kept your hands to yourself.” Roman bit out. “Or do you make a habit of going after other men’s wives.”

Angelo moved to sit opposite Roman and placed his hand on the table inbetween them.

“They said that Betsy Collins was killed about six yesterday evening. I presume you have an alibi.” Angelo said ignoring the taunt.

“I was home.” Roman said. “With my family.” He added meeting Angelo’s gaze and smirking.

“You are a bloody idiot.” Angelo bit out. “What was the point of going into witness protection if you were just going to expose everything with your behaviour?”

Roman shot up, his chair falling backwards on to the floor, and slammed his hands on to the table.

“Maybe if my handler wasn’t off trying to screw my wife I would have been content to stay put.” Roman shouted losing his temper. There was a history between him and Angelo and the fact that the other man had messed about with Ella really pissed him off.

“There was no trying about it.” Angelo told him. “I did screw your wife.”

Roman looked at him feeling a white-hot spur of rage go through him. He couldn’t put Ella through anything more, like having to find a lawyer to defend him from a murder charge, so he reined it in and contented himself with looking at the other man.

“Get me out of here Angelo.” He said slowly.

“No.” Angelo murmured. “It is better if you stay here until we can protect you.”

Roman shook his head.

“Either get me out or I’ll spill your little secret.” He told him. “Bet you don’t want that to come out.”

“You’d do that?” Angelo muttered before he could stop himself.

Roman smiled.

“I can prove that I wasn’t here. We were Christmas shopping at a centre that was over five hours drive away and then home. They only need to look at the time of the last purchase to work out that I couldn’t be back here in time to kill Betsy.” Roman said quietly. “So use your magic and get me the hell out of here before I tell everyone that Jack Holden is still alive.”

Angelo looked at him before he stood and walked back out of the room.

Chapter 69

Ella climbed out of the car and stretched before walking over to Roman.

“What’s going on?” she asked him.

“It’s fine.” He murmured hoping to stall her for a few minutes.

She looked past him and into the station before frowning and stepping away from Roman.

“Now.” She instructed him folding her arms across herself.

“Ella.” He said softly still hoping to diffuse the situation.

She pulled back and slapped him round the face.

“What the hell…” he gasped before he caught sight of Angelo standing just behind him. “Oh.” He murmured.

“Yeah,” Ella said. “Oh.”

“Look I didn’t do anything, take it out on him.”

Ella glared at him before she stalked into the car and climbed behind the drivers side. He looked at her before quickly moving to sit in the passenger seat.

“They killed Betsy to draw me out. They didn’t know I’d gone back home.”

“And now seeing me sit outside the police station waiting for you they have a damn good idea.” She shot out.

“It was the safest place for you.” He said rationally.

“No the safest pace for me was to take the kids and get out of Australia.” She bit out as she started the car. “Especially since you and Angelo seem to know each other quite well.”

“El.” He said quickly.

“If you are about to feed me a pack of lies you should know I’m thinking about dropping you off with Alexi myself.” She shot out glancing at him.

“Pull over.” He told her quickly pointing to a sign that proclaimed there was a picnic area ahead.

Ella shot him a hate filled look before she indicated and pulled off the road easing to a stop in the car parking area. She turned off the engine and climbed out of the car waiting for him to do the same.

Roman sucked in a deep breath and got out of the car moving to stand in front of her.

“Angelo is my handler.” He announced.

“You are freaking unbelievable.” Ella shouted at him. “So what was all that soft soap he gave me? You playing some kind of sick game with me?”

Roman took a half step back as he looked at her.

“I have no idea what he was playing at.” He enunciated carefully. “And trust me I will be talking to him about it in the very near future.” Roman said clearly his hands clenching into fists.

Ella watched him before she sighed.

“So what went on tonight?” she said folding her arms around herself.

“As you know I was hauled in as chief suspect. They checked my alibi and with Angelo coming they released me.” He kept it brief looking over at Ella. He could see from the way she pressed her lips together and her body language that she was still upset by everything that happened and he moved quickly to her side pulling her into his arms.

“Hey.” He said feeling her shake.

“I want the kids to have a nice Christmas.” She told him her voice trembling.

“They will.” He promised her. “Come on lets go home and see them.”

Ella shook her head.

“No, they aren’t expecting us and if we get there in the middle of the night they will worry, especially with Jacko arriving.” She whispered.

He stroked her back and wondered what to do feeling it somehow wrong to suggest they get a hotel room for the night. He didn’t like the way she was trembling in his arms and sighed before lowering his lips to hers and pressing a gentle kiss to them. Easing back he looked into her eyes hating the way she looked so scared and defeated right now.

“Come on.” He told her in a soft voice feeling protective of her. “Let’s find somewhere to stay tonight then.”

He led her back over to the car and into the passenger seat before heading around the back and finding the throw out of his things stacked in the boot. Closing it back up he climbed behind the wheel and reached out placing the throw over her being careful about tucking her in.

“Uh huh Mister, we are still going to have a talk.”

He smiled at the sass in her voice looking over at her.

“Is that talk or mild violence and swearing?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Probably start with that.” She promised yawning.

“Get some sleep.” He said softly before starting up the car and setting off.

He drove with some speed, wanting to put some distance between him and the events that happened earlier, not to mention getting away from Angelo. He glanced over at Ella and saw that she had drifted into an uneasy sleep. He hated that this was hurting her, and that Angelo had used her for some stupid revenge between them. He couldn’t even remember what it was over.

Following the road signs he detoured pulling into the car park of a hotel. Looking around the car he saw Mike had left his gymbag in it and he climbed out and opened up the back. He tipped out the contents and opened up one of the bags that held his clothes packing some inside before zipping it up. He saw that Ella had packed the food he’d bought earlier and he grinned picking out that bag from the back. Moving around the other side of the car he opened up the passenger door and knelt down. Reaching out he shook Ella awake.

“Huh what?” she mumbled.

“I found us a hotel.” He said quietly.

She blinked up at him before stretching and easing out of the car.

“You go register I’ll catch you up.”

Roman nodded and handed her the car keys before he moved inside the hotel carrying the two bags with him.

Ella looked puzzled for a moment before she realised that he was trying to give the impression they had meant to stop here. Shaking her head she picked out her handbag and moved into the back rifling through the bags until she found what she was looking for. She packed it into her handbag bulking it out so it looked more like an overnight bag and stood up. Next she went around the back and looked through the boxes finding his laptop and taking that with her, hooking the strap over her shoulder. Shutting the car doors she locked it and moved into the hotel following the way that Roman had gone. She caught up with him in the reception.

“We’ve missed the restaurant.” He said softly. “but there is a microwave over there we can heat up the soup.”

Ella nodded.

“I’m not hungry right now.” She told him. “Maybe in a bit.” She said stroking her free hand down his back.

He tried not to give her a goofy look as he felt her touch but knew he hadn’t succeeded when he heard her soft chuckle.

“Stop picking on me.” He told her before turning his attention back to reception. He signed in as Frank Curzon, the hotel requiring seeing some form of ID from him and longed for the day when he could go back to being Roman Harris again. Taking the hotel key he guided Ella over to the bank of lifts and rode one up to their floor before following the signs and making their way to the room. He opened the door and placed the room key in the slot to turn the lights on and pressed switches.

“Here.” He said to her standing to one side and letting her walk in first.

She gave him a small smile and approached the big bed that seemed to be the focus for the room.

“Kingsize?” she asked him.

Roman nodded.

“I thought you’d appreciate the space to evade me.” He said a serious look in his eyes belying the humour he’d intended with the comment.

“In that case I’m surprised you didn’t get a twin room.” She murmured as she walked further into the room.

Roman looked at her in shock before he realised she was teasing him. He gave a groan and walked over to her side.

“I ought to spank you.” He muttered his eyes meeting hers.

“You’ve already tried that, remember.” She pointed out reaching up and trailing a finger down his chest.

“Yes, but this time you are going to be naked on the bed and I’m not going to stop.” He said before leaning down and kissing her. “You ok, El?” he asked spoiling the mood with the question and the reminder of earlier.

She nodded.

“I still can’t get my head round Angelo.” She admitted after a minute. “Why would he come after me when he knew you were alive?”

Roman shrugged.

“I can’t think of a reason. I mean there was some bad blood between us a long time ago when I was dating Charlie but that was it.” He said slowly preparing himself for any reaction.

Ella shrugged.

“Maybe it was to get back at you.” She shrugged again.

“Hey, maybe it was but also you are a very attractive woman and he did like going after them.” Roman said before groaning at the look she gave him.

“Right this food.” He said going over to the desk and placing the bag on the top. “You should eat and do you want a drink? They said the bar is still open.”

Ella nodded.

“We have that bottle of fizz.” She grinned as she mentioned it. “I’m going to grab a shower while you sort it out.”

Roman nodded and watched her disappear into the bathroom with her bag. He sorted out the food before taking the soup down the stairs to heat up in the microwave. The buffet area in dinning room provided bowls, plates and cutlery along with a tray and napkins. He added some glasses and collected the heated through soup before taking it back up in the lifts to their room. He knocked and waited, smiling as Ella opened the door and let him back in, especially as she was only wearing a towel.

“Thanks.” She muttered to him pulling the towel tighter. “Seems to be my night for flashing.”

“Oh like you can complain?” he said raising his eyebrows as he looked back at her. “Talk about caught with your pants down.”

Ella looked at him before she burst into giggles.

“Well it was sweet the way you were stark naked and all set to defend me.”

Roman shook his head as he moved over to the desk and placed the tray down.

“I get the feeling that Jacko is going to hear about ti somehow and I’m never going to live it down.” He said quietly.

“Too right.” Ella told him as she moved to sit on a chair near the desk. Roman pulled up the second one and served up the food watching with satisfaction as Ella ate some of the bread and the soup. She picked at the salad.

“Better?” he asked after a moment.

She nodded.

He reached into the bag and pulled out the chocolate trifles he had for desert and offered one of the tubs to her. She nodded and accepted it moving over to sit on the bed as she ate it.

“Are you teasing me?” he asked her.

Ella looked at him and shook her head before she looked down.

“Oh, the towel and a chocolate desert?” she asked him.

Roman nodded.

She stood up and looked at him.

“If I was teasing you wouldn’t the towel manage to fall off.” She said huskily letting the towel slide down and land on the floor. His eyes travelled over her body and he grinned. “And then some of the chocolate were to spill like this.”

His eyes were glued to her as she let the chocolate land on to her breast.

“Witch.” He called her in a husky whisper.

“Can’t think why you would be wanting more sex when you’ve had loads today.” She pointed out.

“Sex?” he asked striding over to her. He picked her up and lay her on the top of the covers before lowering his head and licking off the chocolate slowly taking his time with it. “It’s making love.” He told her softly his eyes meeting hers.

“Uh huh.” She murmured before gasping as he dipped his fingers in his dessert and traced a pattern on her skin. She felt the coolness of the chocolate mixed with the warmth of his fingers before the heat of his mouth consumed her. She felt his tongue flick against her skin before he licked off the chocolate making her arch up from the bed with each caress. He did it a second time painting her body with the whipped cream and chocolate dessert before licking it slowly off. Moving down her body he parted her legs and used his mouth and lips on her making her moan and gasp with the intimate caress. She cried out his name when she reached her peak before falling restlessly back on the bed.

“Beautiful.” He told her. “You are so amazingly beautiful.”

He moved up the bed and tugged off his t shirt, throwing it to one side before yanking at his shorts and kicking off his shoes. He smiled when she reached for him and began to stroke his body.

“I’ll explode if you keep doing that.” He promised her with a throaty growl.

Ella giggled before pulling his head to hers and kissing him.

Easing back she met his gaze.

“I know.” He told her. “We’ll talk, I promise.”

She nodded and wrapped her arms around him holding him to her. He groaned and moved between her legs before joining his body with hers.

Archived