Missing Heart

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 70

Roman woke sometime in the night. The room felt strange to him and as his eyes adjusted to the gloom he remembered that he was in the hotel room. He spread his hand out reaching for Ella and found the bed empty. He groaned and sat up looking around as he switched on the light. He saw a sliver of light coming from under the bathroom door and he climbed out of the bed going over to it.

“Hey.” He called quietly knocking on the door. Reaching down he found the door locked and frowned. “El, come out.” He called again.

Pressing his ear to the door he heard the sound of someone moving inside and then the door opened just a little. Ella looked down not meeting his gaze.

“El, come out.” He said again.

“I’m busy.” She whispered.

“Come out.” He said, his voice no longer a whisper.

She looked up than and he saw tears on her cheeks.

“Right come on.” He said brusquely. He pushed the door wider and frowned as he saw the laptop open on the floor of the bathroom, He moved past Ella and bent down picking it up and looking at the screen.

“What are you doing looking at this?” he asked, his voice angry.

“I wanted to know.” She told him,

“Well knowing hasn’t made you happy has it?” he sneered closing the laptop angrily and turning to look at her.

“Why do you never let me be?” Ella snapped. “ Don’t you think I have a right to know what happened?”

Roman sighed and ran his hand through his hair before he walked past her and over to the bed. He arranged the pillows and patted the bed next to him and she sighed before heading to his side. She looked away when he pulled the covers up and tucked her in.

“This is where you should start.” He told her quietly.

He opened up the laptop and closed down the court transcript she had been reading and opened up another file. She gave a gasp as she looked at the pictures.

“We took these with Pete’s phone.” He told her. “We wanted some kind of record. We couldn’t do anything with them because we couldn’t risk switching the phone on. It was years after the end of the so called civil war but these and these.” He pointed to the screen as he spoke. “Weren’t that old.”

Ella gave a little gasp.

“Then there was this.”

He clicked again and a new picture came up making Ella gasp.

“It’s ok.” He said softly putting his arm around her. “So we’d already decided to go back and get him when we met this woman.”

Again he clicked and there was a picture of a woman, clearly Muslim from the way she had her head covered. Ella could see a red livid scar down her face and neck.

“There is an audio file with her statement on.” He said softly. “She helped us by getting us weapons. That bit I left out of all my reports to stop any reprisals against her.”

He leaned over and kissed the top of Ella’s head before he moved between folders on the desktop.

“This was his compound.” He explained showing her another photo. “We went in through this gate here. As you can see it’s the least protected. Then we skirted the building to the left. Pete cut off communications and James sorted out a car.” Roman sighed as he remembered. They had stolen one of the General’s own cars to drive him away, it was bullet proof and no one from the lingering rebel forces would have dared to attack it. “Then Jacko and I went in.” he said softly. “He was asleep in bed when we got him. We dragged him out barefoot in the cold and over to his car. He promised us we would pay for that.”

Ella sighed and moved closer to Roman feeling his arm tighten around her in response.

“We got on the main road speeding along until we reached a checkpoint that we weren’t expecting. We thought we were stuffed but they waved us through, obviously recognising the car. Then we got to the Brits airbase and handed him over.”

Roman stopped and went through a few more of the files before he opened up the court transcripts.

“I testified as the officer. Because we were SAS they tried to keep my identity secret but he knew. As he went down he swore he would get me. I’ve been threatened before, and since and nothing sent a chill through me like his words.” He explained.

Ella gave him a look and coughed.

“Or facing you in a bad mood dear.” He said softly.

“That’s better.” She grumbled. “Although you need to work on your sincerity a bit more.”

Roman smiled.

“Anything else you want to know?” he asked her.

Ella shook her head.

“It is worse than what we’ve faced before isn’t it?” she asked him.

“I believe that he will do his best to destroy all of us.” He answered honestly. “I think he will take you and our daughters and do…” he stopped when Ella put her hand on his lap.

“It’s ok.” She said to him.

He nodded.

“I know you think we can handle this Ella but I really couldn’t bear it if anything like that happened to you again. I hate everything that hurts you and yeah, sometimes that does mean I hate myself.”

She gave him a soft smile before wiping her eyes and leaning over giving him a kiss.

“That’s ok dear I hate you too.” She told him.

“Hey!” he muttered.

She gave him a quick grin.

“I know now.” She whispered.

“So are you starting to forgive me for going into witness protection?” he asked looking at her.

She half nodded before meeting his gaze.

“No.” she admitted. “I mean rationally I know why you did it but my heart hates you for putting us through that. If it was just me I would be better placed to be understanding but well, Sammy wouldn’t let anyone call him Samson, he shut down.” She stopped and looked at Roman seeing him half smile knowing he was thinking about he did the same thing when bad stuff happened before they both sobered. “So Meggy gets in the car and calls him Samson, forgetting that he didn’t like and he pulled back his hand and punched her.”

Roman gasped.

“We made a breakthrough that weekend and he seemed more accepting of the situation.”

He nodded hearing her words.

“I don’t want that again. Promise me that whatever happens we’ll work together to make the kids ok?”

He leaned over and kissed her.

“You and the kids are the most important things in my life and I promise I’ll make everything ok.”

Ella grinned at him.

“We’re things are we?”

“El!” he groaned.

She giggled and moved in the bed until she was kneeling. Reaching for him she pressed a kiss to his lips.

“I like this on you.” He said picking at the hem of the t shirt she was wearing. “You always did look sexy wearing my things.”

“You want more?” she gasped out the question meeting his eyes.

He nodded.

“I’m making up for a year of not having you.” He told her kissing her as he pulled her closer. The laptop slid across the bed and landed to the side and his eyes drifted to the small round button that was the camera at the top of the screen. “Does that record?” he asked softly nodding towards the laptop.

Ella nodded before she caught his meaning and blushed.

“No!” she gasped out.

“Really?”

She felt her body go hot and put it down to blushing.

“Don’t you think that would be very hot?” he asked.

“On top…” she began.

“Any position you want.” He interrupted.

“Roman Harris!” she screeched out.

He chuckled and pulled her towards him tickling her.

“Show me how it works.” He whispered.

“God no!” she said squirming away from him.

“Go on.” He said kissing the side of her neck before biting her earlobe.

“No, no, no!” she cried out.

“Aren’t you tempted? You’ve had me doing more stuff than I ever thought I would.” He whispered softly against her neck letting his hot breath slide over her skin at that pulse point that made her moan when he kissed her there. “The Sand dunes.” He began. “The hospital. The diner. The orchard.“ he punctuated each location with a kiss. “hotels, swimming pools, Jacuzzis, the car, against the tree at the old house.” He paused and looked into her eyes. “The one in the front yard.” He added and saw her face flame bright red.

“Fine.” She said turning away and moving to the laptop. She fiddled with the settings biting her lip as he began to caress her back under the t shirt. He pushed it up and leaned forward grinning as he bit her behind.

“Ouh!” Ella cried out turning around and glaring at him.

“It looks like a peach.” He said softly. “I needed to find out how it tasted.”

“You are a pervert.” She cried out jumping off the bed and racing over to the bathroom.

Roman reached out quicker than she expected and caught hold of her around her waist. He wrestled her to the bed laughing as she squirmed in his hold and then underneath him.

“I so don’t want to have sex with you now.” She cried out.

“Really?” he asked pushing up her top and looking at her. He bent his head and kissed her belly before sliding his lips down her body and inbetween her parted legs. He found her sex and worshiped it with his mouth loving her, the way she moved, the sounds she made. Pausing he looked up and into her eyes before moving up her body and kissing her.

“I want to make love to you?” he said although they both knew he was asking.

She nodded.

“Sure?” he whispered kissing her again.

She pushed at his shoulders and half rolled until she had caught hold of the laptop. He chuckled when the red light started flashing and he saw that it was recording.

“Wicked witch.”

“Better do a good job.” She told him as she moved and positioned the laptop on the desk. She checked the angle of the recording before she looked at him and grinned. Reaching down for the hem of the oversize t shirt she pulled it up and over her head.

“You are a witch.” He muttered and stood taking off his boxer shorts. He tugged at the quilt and yanked it off the bed and on to the floor before vaulting over the bed and catching hold of her. Lifting her up he placed her on the bed and began kissing her. Her lips and then down her neck, along her shoulders. He felt her hands touching him tentatively and he sighed.

“I love you.” He murmured.

“By the way after you’ve seen we are so deleting it.”

“Uh huh.” He said grinning as she squirmed underneath him.

He reached out and pinned her arms above her head looking down at her beautiful body. He feast with his eyes before running his fingers down her body feeling the silken softness of her skin under his fingertips. He followed the caress with his lips, kissing her and them swirling his tongue in her tasting the salty tang to her skin and smiling knowing it was because of how hot she had gotten during their earlier loving. He lingered before he parted her legs and let his fingers trail up her thighs.

“Are you really sure you want to make love?” he asked her in a teasing voice.

“Damn you.” She groaned and freed her hands pulling him to her. “I want you.”

He smiled as he kissed her again.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 71

He packed everything away before looking round the car and frowning.

“What’s wrong?” Ella asked stroking her hand down his back as she tucked her handbag away.

“There was a box in my car?” he said with a groan. “Did….”

Ella looked at him before she nodded and pointed to the back seat.

“You are lucky I decided to check out what you had in that rust trap of a car before we left.” She muttered.

“Uh huh Mrs Harris.” He said moving around the car and opening the passenger door. He moved some of the shopping bags to one side before he opened the box and looked inside. “Come here.” He told her.

She looked at him and frowned.

“I want to get back to the kids today.” She complained before walking around the car.

“Wasn’t my fault that we overslept.” He murmured watching as she blushed. “You wanted to check out if it recorded.”

She groaned as she looked at him before she looked down into the box.

“What?” she asked her eyes widening.

“It was for Christmas.” He murmured. “I know that we weren’t in a particularly good place when you first saw it.”

She glared at him and folded her arms across herself.

“You are a pig.” She told him. “First off we don’t do Christmas presents.” She muttered angrily. “And second all that is going to do is remind of how much you hated me.”

She began to pull away from him when he reached out for her and grabbed hold of her wrist, his grip bruising-ly tight.

“Excuse me?” he bit out.

“You heard. I wanted to buy that for your stupid shack to make it like home and you made me feel like ****.”

“Oh excuse me if the whole protecting you bit involved that I didn’t want you at the shack risking everything.” He snapped.

Ella tossed her head back and looked into his eyes she narrowed her own as she looked at him.

“Then why put up curtains and get a new mattress and build a place for my motorbike. You were probably glad when you had to go away because we weren’t exactly in a good place were we? You hated me. You were angry at me. Every time we mentioned divorce you didn’t argue.”

Roman groaned.

“Why does this have to happen?” he asked her. “Last night and this morning was amazing. Just being us and then something triggers you off and you are back to being a bitch towards me.”

Ella recoiled and pulled uselessly at her arm.

“Maybe it was better when you weren’t around.” She snapped out forcing herself not to be hurt.

“Maybe I should leave when this is finished.” He said letting go of her arm. He noticed that she didn’t rub her arm although he knew that he must have hurt her.

She nodded and turned walking back around the car and getting in the passenger side. He gave her a look and packed the box once more before closing up the door and then going back around the boot and checking everything was in there before he closed it up. Going around to the front he got in behind the wheel and inserted the key into the ignition. Turning the engine on he pulled away from the hotel car park wanting to put some distance between him and the argument they had just had. He followed the signs back to the highway and bit back a sigh when he saw that Ella turned her head away and looked out of the passenger side window.

He swore when the traffic ahead seemed to slow to a crawl and realised that they hadn’t spoken for an hour. He glanced over at her and sighed before looking out of the windscreen again at the traffic.

Ella turned her head looking at his profile before she tentatively reached out and placed her hand on his knee.

Roman groaned when he felt her touch feeling like a complete bastard for the things he’d said to her earlier and flinched when she began to pull her hand away.

“No.” he said reaching down quickly and putting his hand on top of hers. “I was so torn.” He began. “Needing you there and hating that you were risking so much to be with me.”

“You kept pushing me away one minute and clinging to me the next. I never knew where I stood with you.” She whispered. “That hurt.”

“It hurt me too having to try and get some distance. I nearly packed up and disappeared a million times just to stop you coming to me again.” He said glancing at her.

“Wouldn’t have done you any good when you were still dreaming about me.” She said in her normal sassy voice but he could still hear the strain underneath it. He looked about him and caught the road signs. Moving across the lanes he got on a side road eventually and began driving down it looking for a place they could stop. It led to a small town and he chuckled briefly before finding the local café. He pulled into a parking spot and stopped the engine before turning and looking at her.

“I presume you want us to talk?” she murmured quietly.

“No. I just want to see if you were alright.” He said.

Ella sighed and unclipped her seatbelt before leaning across the car and kissing him.

“I’m sorry.” She told him.

“Ella I love you. I need you and you have video evidence of how much I want you. Don’t let this stuff tear us apart.”

“I normally say that stuff.” She said easing back and meeting his unfaltering gaze.

“I know but you seem to be holding on to this anger like you want to beat me with it.” He murmured.

She eased back and looked at him before tracing her finger over his lips and then kissing him again.

“Maybe I need to keep it for a while.” She told him. “So that when this kicks off I can remember how much I hurt and let that help me get through it.”

Roman met her gaze and sighed.

“And anyway, how is what we’ve said to each other today any different to what we’ve said a thousand times before?” she asked him. “Because we are still here, still together, still loving.”

He groaned once more, recognising that was all he seemed to be doing before he kissed her.

“Because I don’t want to say any of this stuff. I’m so scared that one day we won’t find a way back from this. That one day we’ll just disintegrate.”

Ella reached out and caught hold of his face.

“And if that happens we’ll still have twenty years of memories, of coming through the worst stuff to find one another again and all our beautiful children and it won’t be the end of us. We’ll always find a way to be friends.”

“Thanks.” He said dryly. “There I am pouring my heart out to you scared that we will break up and you tell me that will be fine.”

Ella nodded.

“Well just think about all the other times we’ve broken up.”

He groaned.

“I’d rather think about all the times we’ve made love.” He shot back

“Seriously? Is that all you can think about?” she muttered glaring at him.

“No I pretty much think about all the normal things but right now you are sitting in my lap.”

Ella flushed and glared at him again.

“Back to the subject, broken up, we’ve always got back together.” She muttered quickly before easing back away from him. “Now did you stop here to get some food? Let’s go..”

Roman laughed.

“Actually, you should give me a minute.” He told her smirking as her gaze went downwards to his shorts.

“You!” she gasped her face flaming.

He laughed and unclipped his seatbelt before opening the door and climbing out of the car. Ella gave him a look before she followed grabbing her handbag from the back seat before moving to catch up with him. He reached out his hand to her and smiled when she took hold of it.

“Let’s get something to eat.” He told her quietly. “Should we give the kids another call and make sure everything is alright?”

Ella shook her head before looking away quickly.

“El?”

“Lily.” She said the name with a plaintive sigh.

“What has my little princess done now?” he asked seeing her lips twitch as he called their daughter a princess.

“She tipped paint over Jacko’s hair to make it the same colour as yours.” Ella told him with a straight face watching as the shock of the incident gave way to humour reflected in the way his facial expressions changed.

“My little princess.” He said with added emphasis.

“You know if we do split up you are getting custody of her don’t you.” Ella told him before she pulled away and walked into the cafe.

“Considering she comes with Liam and the twins do you think that is fair?” he asked as soon as he caught up with her.

Ella gave him a smile.

“Oh yes.” She said with a happy smile.

Roman looked at her and chuckled before he steered them to a table. He held out the chair for her and smiled as she gave him a look from under her lashes before she sat down. Taking the seat opposite he found himself taking hold of her hand as they read the menu.

“You know what I’m looking forward to?” she asked him and blushed when he gave her a look as if to say again, and you called me sex mad.

“What?” he asked after a moment.

“You getting rid of that beard.”

Roman chuckled.

“Nope, it’s the hair I want to shave off.” He said running his hand through it. “And I mean shave off. I hate the tangles and the hair dye.”

“I’m not surprised it looks as though it hasn’t been brushed for a year. Do you actually condition it?” she murmured sounding just a little like Nicole.

Roman gave her a look and groaned when she grinned back.

“This is..” he began, stopping when the waitress came over to them.

“What can I get you?” she asked them.

“Two black coffees,” Roman murmured and looked at Ella.

“The cheese omelette thanks.” She murmured.

“And the tuna salad.” Roman added.

He watched the waitress write it down before she moved away and he turned back to Ella.

“This is the verbal equivalent to when you snuggle up to me after an argument.” He stated.

Ella shook her head.

“I wish. I feel there is….”

“Something wrong?” he finished.

Ella nodded.

“We still have baggage from before?” he said slowly.

“I don’t know.” She paused and looked at him. “If I’m honest then yes there are issues to resolve, we were only just starting to deal with them before.” She stopped once more and looked up to see him nod. “Well, there is the hate thing that seemed to be a theme during that time Roman.”

She looked up again risking making eye contact with him, scared of what he was going to say for some reason.

“Yeah I guess there is that.” He muttered finally letting go of her hand and folding his arms across himself.

If she weren’t so nervous about what they were going to say next, she would have smiled at the body language.

“I’ve thought about it, hell there wasn’t a lot else I could do for a while. Ella I know this is going to be a major contradiction here but I hate it when you hide things from me. And not telling me how ill you were during the pregnancy and then the complications, it made me, well not exactly hate but I didn’t like you so much. It was like we hadn’t learnt any lessons from before.” He breathed out audibly as he finished speaking and looked at her.

“It seems awfully easy to talk about separation and divorce.” Ella commented falling silent when the waitress came with their order placing it in front of them. Ella looked down at the omelette and felt suddenly sick. She settled on picking up her cup and taking a sip hoping that would settle her stomach let alone her nerves.

“Compared to?” Roman asked.

She noticed that he hadn’t picked up his cutlery and frowned before focusing on the conversation.

“How we used to be before Gardy.” She said finishing the sentence in a whisper.

He shook his head.

“No, we coped with Gardy. It was after Martha pulled her stunt. We lost our trust in the relationship.” He said looking at his plate for a moment before looking back at her. “I’m not hungry anymore.” He commented.

Ella giggled and reached out her hand to him. He looked down at her hand before he put his own into her grip.

“When this is over lets spend some time just being with each other.” She offered biting her lip nervously. “As a couple.”

Roman looked at her and sighed.

“That sounds good.” He said with another sigh.

“But?” she murmured, still biting on her lip.

“No buts.” He told her. “I would like that very much.”

Ella looked at him and a single tear fell down her face.

“Hey, my beautiful wife, please don’t.” he whispered squeezing on her hand.

“Sorry.” She muttered taking her hand from his and wiping at her face.

“I love you Ella.” Roman said quietly. “I love you.”

She gave him a smile flushing when he grinned back at her.

“Oi!” she muttered.

“My smile.” He told her.

“Well.” She muttered. “You make me go…”

He smiled smugly before leaning over and kissing her.

“You make me go equally goofy.” He said finishing her sentence.

He picked up his knife and fork and began eating.

Ella watched him before she took up her own and tucked into the omelette. She found herself eating it quickly suddenly very hungry.

Chapter 72

“Mama!” Lily screamed out running up the garden towards them. They had just arrived home, Roman had driven all the way while she dozed on and off. She’d awoken as Sophie had texted her to say they were having a pool party hence them walking around the back and not going into the house.

Ella turned and looked at Roman as she grinned.

“Fine.” He said. “I give in she’s your Princess.”

“I didn’t call her a princess.” Ella said under her breath before she bent down to hug her daughter. “I think we need to talk Lily squeals.” She said to her.

“Me not bad girl.” Lily told her with her lisp back. “Me is good.”

Roman grinned and moved over to her picking her up and balancing her on his hip.

“Nice try Princess.” He said walking through the garden to where everyone was gathered. “Hey.”

“Dada.” Liam called. “Wasn’t me.” He announced.

Jacko laughed and looked at them.

“That just means he plotted it but Lily did it.” Ella told Roman seeing her husband smile at that.

“Sounds like Sophie and Georgie.” He said remembering the antics of the twins.

Ella nodded before she moved over to stand near Jacko.

“Ok?” she asked him and saw him nod back at her before he grinned at Roman, smirking at the other man as Lily stroked his beard before she kissed his cheek.

“You alright Hardcore?” Jacko murmured.

Roman nodded his eyes drawn to Jacko’s head and the red streaks in his hair.

“Er…” he began.

“Never trust your daughters.” Jacko told him putting his hand up to his hair self-consciously.

“Oh he doesn’t.” Ella supplied grinning as Lily scowled at her.

“Who’s that?” Roman asked pointing down to the pool where Georgie was standing with someone.

“Oh that is someone from his footy team.” Ella said moving towards them. She watched with a smirk as Sophie got out of the pool and moved over to Steve and gave him a kiss. She heard Roman growl and turned towards him.

“What’s wrong?” she asked sounding innocent.

“I believe that my daughter just kissed him.” Roman muttered and narrowed his eyes as he looked at Ella.

“Did she?” Ella asked turning back and looking across the pool. “Sophie Nicole Harris.” She called out.

Sophie turned and looked at her before she ran over to them.

“What’s up?”

“Are you kissing random boys now?” Ella asked winking at her daughter out of sight of Roman.

“Only those on the footie team. Georgie said it was ok.” She murmured back in a soft voice.

Roman swore making Ella and Sophie giggle.

“Hey Mama.” Sophie said hugging her.

“Thank you for looking after the little ones.” Ella said quietly. “Go back to Steve.”

Sophie nodded.

“Want to meet my boyfriend Daddy? I’m sure you can borrow a shotgun from Jacko.” Sophie called out to him.

“Sophie Nicole Harris you can still be spanked you know.” Roman growled out.

Sophie laughed and ran back down the garden.

“And as for you Ella Harris.” He promised.

She laughed and him and pressed a kiss to her daughters head before going over to where Meggy was sitting with the twins.

“Hey my daughters.” She called out softly. She pressed a kiss to Meggy’s head before sitting on the sun lounger with the two little ones. “Have you been good?” she asked them.

“Me’s good.” August sang out. “Fleur’s good.”

Ella nodded, running her hands down her daughter’s arms.

“She’s a bit hot Megs.” Ella said quietly.

“She’s just had cream on about ten minutes ago.” Meggy said.

Ella nodded.

“You feeling ok August?” Ella asked her.

August nodded.

“Swims?” she asked looking up at her.

Ella smiled.

“Think you can wait until Mama has changed?” Ella asked.

August shook her head and looked at Fleur.

“We swims Mama.” Fleur told her.

Ella grinned.

“Go ask Jacko and Dada to do your rings and armbands.” Ella said shooting up and running off to the house. She ran up the stairs and into the bedroom. Going over to her jewellery box she opened it up and took out her wedding ring putting it back on and collecting Roman’s ring. She placed it to one side while she reached for her swimming costume heading into the en suite to have a quick shower before getting changed. She heard the door open and grinned before turning and looking.

“That was not a nice trick Ella Harris.” He told her.

She giggled.

“It was what you deserved.” She said.

Roman groaned and moved over to the sink. He looked at his reflection before taking out the razor and shaving foam. Within a minute he’d covered his face and began shaving off the beard. He grinned as he caught Ella smiling at him.

“Coming home then?” she asked him.

He nodded.

She stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around herself before going over to where he was standing and kneeling down to open the cupboard underneath the sink. She handed him the clippers set and grinned at his expression.

“You do it.” He said softly.

She nodded.

“You’ll have to sit down.” She said her voice quivering.

He nodded.

“Two Secs.” He muttered finishing his shave. She nodded going over to her dressing table. She plugged the clippers in and tested them before getting a spare towel and placing that out flat on the floor underneath the stool in front of her dressing table.

Roman came out and looked at her chuckling when she gasped.

“Better?” he asked.

She nodded.

He strode over to her and took her into his arms kissing her.

“Much better.” She gasped out breathlessly.

He smirked at her before sitting on the stool. Catching sight of his wedding ring he smirked some more before reaching out and putting it on.

“Ok.” She said lining up the clippers.

He reached up and caught hold of her hand.

“You’ve done this before.” He pointed out.

She nodded biting her lip.

“Or is it because it means that I will be officially a target again?” he said slowly.

She looked at him.

“I don’t know. I’m nervous.” She said to him before she leaned down and kissed him.

Taking a deep breath she began to run the clippers through his long hair cutting it close to his head. She could see that the roots were his original colour and knew he had been putting off colouring it because he wanted to be home. She couldn’t help but smile her movements becoming more confident as she cut his hair.

“Thank you.” He said when she’d finished.

She nodded and looked at him checking out the cut.

“It’s great.” He said seeing her frown.

“I think I preferred it long.” She admitted biting her lip.

He glared at her.

“Tell me again why I married you.” He said.

“Are you coming swimming?” Ella asked after a moment.

He nodded.

“Going to shower and wash this off.” He said to her.

She moved past him and reclaimed her swimming costume discarding her towel and pulling it on. She noticed that he watched her and she chuckled.

“You are going to have to get that under control Mister.” She said to him.

“In a few days.” He said. “It will wear itself out.”

Ella blushed at the implication and grabbed her sarong before adding shoes and escaping out of the room. She heard him laugh and blushed some more as she went down the stairs and out the back.

“You took your time.” Jacko commented. “Woulda thought…”

“Jacko hush your mouth.” Ella said her face bright red. “However you were going to finish that sentence.”

He smirked at her.

“Kids are in the pool.” He said to her. “Wearing your ring I see.”

Ella looked down and nodded as she caught sight of the platinum circle encasing her finger.

“You’ll be careful won’t you Jacko.” She said suddenly.

“I will.” He promised her.

“Good. We’re going to have a nice Christmas and then afterwards.” She stopped taking a deep breath.

“Good.” He said. “Love your Christmas’s” he grinned. “I’m sure the boys will be here.”

She grinned before kissing his cheek and moving down to the pool. She grinned at the babies playing in the pool and shrugged off her shoes and sarong before diving into the deep end. She surfaced next to Liam and grinned as he laughed at her.

“Hello Liam Squeals.” She said smiling as he swam into her arms.

“Mama we play.” He said waving his hand towards his brothers and sisters who were playing in the deep end.

“I think you’ll have to play with the little ones.” Ella told him. “The bog ones are too noisy.”

Liam titled his head and looked at her before he grinned.

“K’s.” he told her.

She loved her little man he made her so grateful she’d had him. She kissed the end of his nose before climbing out and putting some inflatable toys in the pool for them. Looking up she saw Roman walking down the garden and she grinned as she watched him.

“Woah Dad!” Georgie called out.

“Wait that is your Dad but I thought…” Steve said.

Sophie smiled at her boyfriend.

“Long story, witness protection, we only just found out but we still have to keep it quiet.” She said to him.

“Oh ok then.” Steve said still frowning. “I suppose….”

“Ignore him Steve.” Ella called out referring to Roman. “He’ll only try and mess with your head.”

Steve paled causing Sophie to laugh at him before she swam closer and kissed his cheek.

“He’s a pussycat really.” Ella added.

“What are you doing woman, spoiling my reputation like that.” Roman muttered moving around the pool and grabbing her. He stepped off the side and into the deep end dunking both of them.

“Will you stop doing that?” Ella gasped once she’d surfaced in the clear blue water.

He chuckled at her.

“Dada fur gone.” August announced.

“Oh yeah.” Sammy said looking over at them. “Does this mean I can have my hair like that?”

Ella nodded at him.

“When you are grown up and have moved out you can have your hair however you want.” She told him.

Georgie chuckled at the expression on his brothers face before he picked up one of the balls and threw that at his Dad.

“Catch!” he called out.

“No!” Meggy cried. “If you do you are it.” She added too late as Roman caught the inflated ball.

“Oh do I have to get someone to catch this?” he asked grinning at her.

Meggy nodded.

“Steve” he called in a soft voice.

“Yes, sir.” Steve replied before the ball was launched in his direction. He caught it on reflex and flushed as everyone laughed at him.

“He’s also sneaky.” Sophie told him as she tolk the ball from him. She grinned at her mother and threw it to her watching as Ella ducked out of the way and Roman caught it again.

“Hey!” he cried.

Jacko laughed at him before he found himself catching the ball as Roman launched it at him.

“I wasn’t even playing.” Jacko grumbled.

“You are now old man.” Lily called out.

Ella giggled and looked at Roman.

“Your Princess.” She told him seeing him grin in response.

Chapter 73

Danni paced with Jennie perched in her arms. The baby was crying and she didn’t know how to stop her. Mike was over getting Ella and that made her feel like a failure even though it was her idea to fetch her. She’d fed her, winded her, changed her, winded her some more just in case, to no effect. Her daughter was still crying.

She moved restlessly through the living room looking at anything to take her mind off the fact her daughter was crying and she couldn’t do anything. She swapped her to the other arm checking her forehead and wondering if she had a temperature or if that was just because she was crying. Looking up she saw Ella walking in ahead of Mike. Neither of them looked at each other.

“Hey.” Ella said softly. “Having a problem?”

Danni nodded and immediately burst into tears.

“Mike used to cry a lot. He liked to be held against bare skin. You know kangaroo contact.” Ella said to Danni.

Mike paled looking quickly away before he walked to Danni’s side and taking Jennie from her.

“Go and wash your face.” He instructed her.

Danni gasped at his words expecting to be comforted by him before she glared at him and stormed into the bathroom.

“That wasn’t diplomatic.” Ella pointed out.

“Thought you weren’t talking to me.” Mike told her.

“I’m not.” Ella snapped over the sound of Jennie crying.

“It’s not my fault.” Mike told her again. “At your age you shouldn’t be doing it.”

“Spoken like a teenager.” Ella muttered before she walked over to him and picked up Jennie out of his arms. “Jennie shut up.” She crooned softly.

Jennie opened up her eyes and looked around not comfortable with being jostled she opened her mouth to let out a scream when Ella kissed the end of her nose and snuggled her tight to her shoulder. She rubbed soothing circles on her back as the baby quietened down.

Danni peered out of the bathroom and looked.

“Thank god.” She said before bursting into tears again.

“Danni stop it.” Mike called out softly coming over to her.

“You pig!” she snapped turning to storm back into the bathroom before stopping when Mike caught hold of her arm.

“Come on.” He added in his normal voice. “If I held you as I wanted to you’d spent half the night sobbing.” He pointed out. “And I have to tell you that it wasn’t easy to fetch our mother tonight. She was a little busy.”

Danni looked at him before she caught on to what he was saying and blushed.

“Yes fine.” Ella snapped out in a whisper not wanting to disturb the baby. “And you promised not to say anything.”

Mike shrugged.

“I tell Danni everything.” He said and grinned when he heard Danni sigh before she gave him a tired smile.

“Now you’ve calmed down come and hold your daughter. She’s a bit hot.” Ella told Danni.

Danni nodded and walked over to collect her daughter. She took her into her arms and sighed when Jennie nuzzled against her.

“Hey Baby girl.” Danni said softly. She leaned down and kissed her forehead again. “She is hot.” She said sounding panicked.

Jennie immediately began crying.

“Oh no.” Danni cried out lifting her panicked gaze to Ella.

“Now do you see why she was crying?” Ella asked going over to Danni and guiding her to a seat on the sofa. She sat next to her and rubbed soothing circles on Danni’s back.

Danni sighed and felt herself calm down. She looked at her daughter and sighed again before she spoke.

“Come on you.” She whispered. “You’re daddy and me would like a little sleep tonight.”

Jennie looked up at her and pursed her lips making Danni hold her breath fearing another crying session, instead her beautiful daughter closed her eyes and seemed to settle down.

“Mike can you put some water in a bottle for her?” Danni asked him.

Mike nodded and moved quietly into the kitchen. He returned a moment later and handed her one of Jennie’s bottles taking the place that Ella had vacated and watched as Danni gave her daughter a drink. Jennie sucked it down greedily before burping when the bottle was finished making them chuckle.

“You can make arrangements for Michelle to come now can’t you?” Ella told them. “For a few weeks before we send you to stay with Toby.”

Danni nodded before biting her lip.

“What is it?” Mike asked.

“Brett.” She said quickly.

“Ah.” Mike said with understanding.

“What about Brett?” Ella asked.

“Well.” Danni began not wanting to say anything about Gabby and Brett having hooked up, knowing that the other two wanted to keep it quiet for a while and Michelle was still interested in Brett.

Ella laughed.

“Forget it if you don’t want to tell me.” She murmured glancing around the room and taking in the Christmas tree that they’d over-decorated. She grinned at Mike when he caught her eyes looking over the tree and flushed.

“It’s…” he began.

“It’s beautiful.” Ella told him. “Now I’m going back to bed.” She looked at Jennie, now snoozing in Danni’s arms and smiled before easing quietly out of the door.

“Ok you can say it.” Danni told Mike. “I did buy too many decorations.”

Mike chuckled.

“Come on my wonderful girls it’s bed time. We can put her down in the crib by the bed.”

Danni nodded and allowed Mike to help her up, moving with her into the bedroom. He watched as Danni so very carefully placed Jennie down wrapping her up tight in her blanket. It was pale pink and had Winnie the Pooh on it. Sophie had presented them with it not long after they had come home with Jennie. She’d saved up to buy it with her pocket money making it even more special to Danni. He had to admit that he was a little gooey about such things now.

“So what was Ella doing?” Danni asked ignoring the blush that crept across her face when she caught Mike’s expression.

“It looked like page 36.” He said lying down in the bed and patting the space beside him.

“I knew building the poolhouse was a bad idea.” Roman murmured when Ella got back into the bed. “And your feet are cold.”

Ella glared at him, sighing when she saw that his eyes were closed.

“Warm them up then.” She said to him after a moment.

Roman laughed and rolled over pulling her into his arms.

“I would but I think the expression on Mike’s face when he came in has scared me for life.” He murmured and grinned when she giggled.

“Well it was only a matter of time before one of the kids…”

Roman leaned up, propping himself up on one hand as he looked at her. His bedside lamp was on casting a warm glow around the room.

“I always suspected that Mike would be the one who barged in on us. I just thought it would be about 10 years ago.” He commented before tracing a finger down her profile. He sighed when she opened her lips and his finger slipped into her warm wet mouth before moaning softly under his breath as she sucked on his finger. “Oh.” He said in surprise.

He withdrew his finger and traced around her lips before bending his head and kissing her.

“Love you.” He murmured against her lips. “So much.”

Ella smiled and kissed him back passionately.

“Oh El.” He moaned feeling himself harden. “I want you so much.”

She sighed and pulled him to her.

“Where were we?” she asked him as he moved over her. “Oh yes, now I remember.”

Roman growled.

“Shush.” He told her.

Ella giggled before she wrapped her arms back around him and held him close as he kissed her.

“Morning.” Ella called out moving through to the dinning room. She saw Gabby sitting at the table with Daniella along with her other children and she smiled.

“Morning.” Gabby said raising her eyebrows and glancing at the clock.

Ella grinned innocently and moved to sit next to her.

“Mama.” Lily called out.

“No.” Ella said to her without hearing what she wanted. “I want all laundry down today and rooms tidied.”

Sophie moaned.

“I was going to ask if I could go shopping with Angel.”

Ella looked at her before looking at Roman as he stepped out of the kitchen and towards them.

“Who is going with you?” she asked Sophie.

“Er…” Sophie shot Georgie a look.

“What?” he asked around a mouthful of toast. “Ouh!” he added as Sophie kicked him under the table.

“I can take them if you watch Daniella.” Gabby offered.

Ella shrugged before accepting the cup that Roman handed to her.

“What do you think?” she asked him.

“I think that Jacko would enjoy going shopping.” He murmured looking at Sophie as he said it and saw her blush.

“I want some girlie things.” Sophie protested.

“Oh thanks and you wanted me to go with you.” Georgie muttered.

“I echo what he said.” Jacko muttered from the kitchen.

“Shut up old man.” Lily called out.

“Hush Lily.” Meggy muttered.

“Megan Hope Harris have you been teaching your sister to say stuff?” Ella asked.

Jacko peered around the archway and glared at Meggy.

“I wondered where she was getting it from.” He muttered giving Roman a look. “I warned you about the mouth on that one. Just like her mother.”

Roman grinned before feeling his face grow hot as he remembered just what Ella’s mouth had been doing the previous night.

“You are grounded young lady.” Ella told Meggy. “And on top of that you will be helping me do laundry today. Sophie you can go if Jacko goes.”

Roman looked at them and nodded.

“Fine.” Sophie muttered.

“I don’t suppose…” Gabby began.

“We can watch Daniella.” Roman said.

“We can?” Ella asked.

“Well you can I have a few errands to run. Apparently I’m supposed to go see Miles because he wants me to “do a rabbit.”.” Roman said still sounding puzzled by whatever a rabbit was.

Sophie and Georgie exchanged a look before giggling.

“What?” Roman asked looking at them.

“Roman.” Ella murmured looking at him. “Miles had a bit of a problem.”

Meggy nodded.

“He went loopy.” She announced.

“Ok Megan Hope Harris, leave the room.” Ella told her daughter. “I told you we didn’t talk about Miles like that.” She added when Meggy pouted.

“But it’s true.” She muttered.

“Don’t make me tell you again.” Ella warned.

Meggy glared at her before she got up form the table and walked out of the room her head up and her shoulders back.

“He thought he saw his daughter.” Ella murmured quietly to Roman. “And well, there was a lot of talk about him in the town. He left his job for a while.”

Roman groaned.

“So…” he murmured.

“At a guess I would say that he wants to… I don’t know, get back at some people.”

“Should I?” Roman asked her.

“I got to go shopping and miss this?” Jacko muttered before he went out the back. They heard muffled swearing and grinned at each other.

“It actually sounds like a good idea.” Ella nodded.

“It does?” Georgie gasped. “Because I remember…” he lapsed into silence at Ella’s look.

“Yes, son, I do know a little more about it than you.” She murmured standing up and walking into the kitchen. She poured out more coffee and sipped at the lukewarm brew.

“Ok there is an atmosphere so I’m going to slide out of the room unnoticed.” Sammy muttered from the doorway.

Georgie grinned.

“I don’t think it will work.” He murmured. “Daddy is going to do a Rabbit.”

“Cool.” Sammy said coming over to the table.

“Kids. One warning.” Ella called out.

“How can I get a warning I only said one word.” Sammy moaned.

“That’s two.” Ella said to them.

“Hey.” Sammy said before he looked over at his mother and saw her smiling.

She moved to the table and kissed the top of Sammy’s head before sitting down.

“One warning.” She told them. “If there is another one you will be on cleaning duty. We discussed this didn’t we?”

Georgie sighed.

“I suppose so.”

“Perhaps you could fill me in?” Roman asked her frowning at her. They’d never done warnings before and what was with the cleaning duty?

“Miles was ill. Thought he saw his daughter. We discussed depression and how it affects us in different ways because I’ve had it on account of the babies and stuff that has happened so however funny they think the situation is, it really isn’t.”

“No.” Sammy said looking at them. “Because it happened to me too.”

Georgie nodded over at his brother.

“Do you want some toast?” he asked him standing up.

“Please.” Sammy said.

“Go on boys.” Ella said to them placing her hand on Roman’s arm as he moved towards the kitchen too.

“They work together.” Sophie told her dad.

He looked down at Ella and saw her nod.

“You should get going.” She grinned at him. “Tell Miles I said hello.”

Roman looked at her before he nodded and went to the door. He paused and came back after a moment.

“Er… I don’t have a car.” He admitted.

Sophie laughed.

“Serves you right for being dead Daddy.” She giggled.

“Take the jeep.” Ella told him. “Keys are in the garage.”

He nodded and moved over to her bending down and kissing her on the lips before turning and going back to the door and then out of it.

“What about insurance?” Gabby asked suddenly.

Ella smiled at her.

“It’s taken care of.” She murmured not admitting that she’d never got around to taking him off the policy covering the cars. She supposed he better see about getting his id sorted out if he was announcing he was alive.

“Now then when you have finished breakfast you can sort out laundry and cleaning.”

“Mama.” August called looking up from where she was sitting with Daniella and Fleur. “We play dolly.”

Ella smiled at her daughter.

“Go on then.” She said to them watching as all three of them moved off their chairs and toddled out of the room. She heard them heading up the stairs and grinned again.

“Are they supposed to open the stair gates?” Gabby asked tilting her head.

“Wasn’t me Mama.” Lily cried out.

Ella looked at Lily before grinning as Gabby giggled.

“You are a pain.” She announced going over to her sister and picking her out of her chair to cuddle her.

Lily giggled and cuddled her sister back.

“Me’s good.” She told her.

Ella smiled.

“Does this mean I cant…” Sophie began to ask.

“You can go if Jacko goes and no embarrassing him please.” Ella said softly. “After you’ve done your chores.”

“Thanks Mum. Can we take Meggy?” she added looking at her from under her lashes as she stood and cleared her pots from the table knowing that her mother had grounded her sister just a little while ealier.

“If she wants to go with you.” She told her daughter. “But I thought it was just you and Angel?”

Sophie nodded.

“It was, she just might need cheering up.” Sophie murmured.

Ella caught Gabby looking at her and she grinned at her before moving round the table and clearing it. Georgie and Sammy moved back to the table and sat down.

“What are you two doing today?” she asked them.

“Well I was thinking of asking Mike if he wanted to go surfing with us?” Georgie asked looking at Sammy.

“Ok, but remember…”

“We know Jennie.” They chorused.

Ella smiled again thinking she had some wonderful kids. She glanced at Lily still clinging to Gabby, well mostly wonderful.

Chapter 74

“So tell me what happened.” Roman said after a moment.

Miles turned and looked at him.

“I got depressed.” He stated slowly the words sounding dragged out. “Had some tough times.”

Miles lifted his hand to his head touching the place where the faint white line was by his mouth. When he was bashed they had cut his lip and this scar was the only thing that remained of that moment.

“Miles.” Roman prompted.

Miles lowered his head and sighed. Within a few minutes the story of the bashing, nearly losing his job, the break up with Lee and then finally the sighting he’d had of Rabbit, his daughter.

“Mate.” Roman said simply placing his hand on the other mans shoulder. “Let’s go do this.”

Miles lifted his head and nodded a slow smile crawling on his face.

“Right Colleen was the worst.” He admitted. “She would bring me a coffee and a milkshake for Rabbit.”

Roman chuckled.

“Go in and order two coffees.” He said.

Miles looked at him and nodded before he climbed out of the car and walked into the diner. He made for a seat at the back and waited. Colleen came over after a moment and stood by his table.

“What can I get you Miles?” she asked him her pen poised over her order pad.

Miles looked around before he leaned forward.

“We’d like two coffees please.” He said slowly.

Colleen looked at him after she’d written the order down.

“Er…” she murmured. “Is your guest here?” she asked.

Miles nodded and looked across the table.

Colleen gave him another more curious look before heading away. He could hear her muttering to herself and he gave a slow smile.

“This seat taken?” Roman murmured quietly sitting down.

“Where the devil did you come from?” Miles gasped his hand flying to his chest in shock.

“Don’t ask.” Roman grinned at him. “Where is my coffee I’m thirsty.”

Miles chuckled and looked around.

“So er…” he murmured.

“Just ignore everything I do.” Roman told him.

Miles nodded and looked up when Colleen moved back towards the table with the cups. She stopped and starred the try wavering in her hands as she looked at them.

“That my coffee?” Miles asked her.

She nodded moving over to the table and putting the cups down before gasping and looking at Roman.

“Thanks.” Miles said to her picking up his cup and taking a drink.

“Er…” she muttered looking pale as she glanced at Roman.

Roman smiled ignoring her as he pulled the cup towards him and picked up a spoon stirring the coffee.

“Pass the sugar.” Miles muttered.

Colleen looked from one to the other.

“He’s talking to you.” Roman told Colleen. “I’m just a figment of his imagination.”

Colleen nodded and picked up the sugar placing it down in front of Miles.

“Are you ok Colleen?” Miles asked her.

Roman picked his cup up and drank from it before he placed it back down.

“You don’t look well Colleen.” Roman told her. “Maybe that is why you are seeing me.”

Colleen nodded her head shocked into silence.

“How about some food?” Miles said. “I could do with a cheese toastie.”

She picked her notebook out of her pocket and wrote it down.

“I’ll have the same.” Roman said.

She nodded again and slipped away.

“Is it wrong I enjoyed that?” Miles said slowly.

“Back in a minute.” Roman said slipping back out the way he came.

“What is it Colleen?” Leah muttered as she was being pulled from behind the counter and across the room by Colleen. The other woman had been suddenly struck dumb, she just kept pointing and opening and closing her mouth. She stopped and pointed again to the table where Miles was sitting.

“Where is he?” she asked him seeing the empty seat opposite.

“Where is who?” Miles asked back avoiding looking at Leah in case she saw his grin.

“You know who.” Colleen muttered. “Is this some kind of trick?”

Miles looked at her and tilted his head.

“Can I have my sandwich please?” he asked her.

Colleen gave him a look and muttered something uncomplimentary under her breath before she moved away.

“So nothing is going on?” Leah asked. “This wouldn’t have anything to do with what Rachel told me a while back.”

“And what was that?” Miles muttered.

“Ella was pregnant. We only know one man who she’d let near her.”

“She was?” Miles sat up straighter and looked about him.

“Hey Leah.” Roman said from behind her.

“Oh my god!” Leah screeched. “What the…”

“Don’t finish that sentence, you’ll scare the customers.” Roman said quietly as he sat at the table. He picked up his cup and took a sip of the coffee before grimacing.

“You didn’t tell me Ella was knocked up again.” Miles told him.

Roman paled slightly.

“She lost it mate.” Roman told him. “That is part of the reason I’m back.”

Miles nodded before glancing at Colleen moving back towards them.

“I can’t believe…” Leah began.

“Shush.” Miles told her. “Look at me and ignore him.”

“I’m not..” Leah said before she quietened down and focused on Miles.

“Here are your sandwiches.” Colleen said placing the plates on the table.

“I only ordered one.” Miles said giving her a puzzled look.

“I thought your friend there could have the other one.” She said huffily giving Roman a glare.

“No thanks Colleen.” Leah said.

She stepped back and turned to move away when Colleen blocked her path.

“You really don’t see him?” she asked.

“See who?” Leah said.

“Roman.”

Leah sighed and put her hand on Colleen’s arm.

“You really need to take a break Colleen.” She said softly.

“But he’s here I tell you.” Her voice sounded desperate.

“I think you need some time off.” Miles told her, “I had the same thing a while ago when I saw my daughter.”

Colleen starred at him and nodded slowly.

“Maybe I do.” She said slowly.

Roman looked at her.

“Or maybe you should keep it quiet that you’ve seen me because I’m still supposed to be in witness protection.” He told her.

Colleen looked at him before glaring at the others.

“I would have thought you’d have better things to do Miles than try and trick an old lady.”

Miles grinned unrepentantly.

“Seriously,” Roman stood and went over to Leah first. “It’s good to see you.” He said kissing her cheek and hugging her. “Thank for looking after El.” He added doing the same action with Colleen. “I know it’s been rough for you all.”

Colleen blushed.

“Yes well.” She stuttered. “And as for you….” She promised something with just a look in Miles direction before Leah led her away.

Roman sat opposite the other man and picked up the toastie taking a bite.

“Where next?” he asked Miles.

“I feel ever so slightly guilty for that.”

Roman nodded.

“I used to work with her. I don’t.” he said with emphasis.

The two men looked at each other and laughed.

“Hey,” Geoff called out.

“Hey yourself.” Nic said from the top of the stairs. “Down in a minute.”

He moved to the fridge and took out a beer opening it up and taking a long drink. He turned and saw Mira running towards him in her Christmas dress.

“Hey Princess.” He called out softly putting the bottle down and bending to pick up his daughter.

“Don’t wrinkle me.” Mira said. “Mama no wrinkle.”

Nic moved down the stairs and looked at them.

“That’s right.” She said to her. “You aren’t allowed to wrinkle it.”

Geoff smiled and leaned over to kiss his wife.

“Where is everybody?” he asked her.

“Angel has gone shopping with Sophie and Meggy.” Nic said softly. “Robbie has gone over to see Sammy with Tyler.”

“So what is this Princess doing in her dress.”

“I was checking the length of the hem and she insisted on wearing it for a bit.” Nic explained. “I’ve finished wrapping all the presents.”

Geoff nodded.

“Did we spend more than normal this year or is that just me being a grump?”

Nic laughed and moved back over to her husband pressing another kiss to his lips.

“Since when are you a grump around Christmas?” she asked him. “Have you sorted out yoru sermon?”

Geoff nodded.

“I know what I’m going to say.” He told her a light in his eyes as he looked at his beautiful wife. He reached out and caught a lock of her long blonde hair and smiled, watching as he wrapped it around his finger.

“I’ve sorted out all yours and the kids old clothes and their toys to go in the charity box.” She murmured.

Geoff laughed.

“What about your clothes?” he asked her grinning some more as she blushed.

“I tried to sort some but my clothes are so lovely.” She murmured blushing some more as he continued to grin at her.

“Lets pop over and see Ella.” He suggested suddenly. “I’m sure they’ll feed us and you can persuade Ella to donate some clothes too.”

He laughed at the way her eyes lit up when he mentioned Ella and clothes in the same sentence.

“Stop it.” Nic cried. “I can’t help it that she has designer clothes.” She pouted and then giggled as he kissed her again.

“You are adorable Nicole Campbell.” He murmured.

“Come on Missy lets get you changed.” She told her daughter and lifted her out of her Daddy’s arms and set her on the floor.

“Me likes this one.” She told her parents stroking her hands down her dress.

“Yes I know but don’t you want to run around with Lily and Liam.” She said to her quietly as she took hold of her hand and led her up the stairs. “Maybe pack your swimming costume in case they want to go in the pool.”

Mira nodded solemnly and looked up at her mother with her big blue eyes.

“Lily swims.” Mira told her. “Liam swims.”

“Yes.” Nic said softly.

“Then I swims.”

“That is right.” She said taking her daughter into her bedroom.

“Hear that?” Aden said softly.

“What?” Belle murmured before looking up from her laptop. “I can’t hear anything.”

“Exactly,” Aden told her. “Amy-Belle and Kai are out. Brett is out and Tyler is over with Sammy and Robbie.”

Belle looked at him and flushed red.

“Are you thinking …”

Aden smirked before she’d finished the question and moved over to her to lift her out of the chair. He swung her over his shoulder taking a moment to balance her before he began to move to the bedroom.

“Ouh, what are you thinking?” she asked him before giggling.

“I’m sure you are going to find out pretty soon.” He promised her before laying her carefully down on to the bed. He looked down at her delicate body and sighed as he began to pull off his shirt. He discarded it on the floor before leaning down and kissing her gently on the lips.

He knelt beside her and grinned when she reached over to him.

“Impatient.” He murmured kissing her some more as he began to unbutton her blouse. He did it slowly teasing her as he slipped one button open and then the next revealing her flushed skin underneath. He lowered his head and blew softly against her skin hearing her giggle before she reached and pulled him towards her.

“You are so annoying when you do that.” She grumbled before sighing as he kissed her.

“Are you saying you don’t like my technique?” he asked smirking at her as he ran his finger inbetween the two halves of her blouse and down along her belly. He slid it under the waistband of her shorts and around until he reached the button fastenings at the side. Moving his other hand there he slipped the buttons undone and groaned when he caught the feel of her lace panties against his fingertips.

“You wearing those …”

Belle turned to him and whispered.

“The red lace ones.” She told him.

Aden sucked in a breath before he moved quickly and began easing her shorts down her legs. He smiled as she lifted her hips letting him get them free before he took them off and dropped them on the floor beside his shirt. He looked down at the red cami-knickers she was wearing and sighed.

“These have to be my favourite on you.” He said looking into her shinning eyes. “But I like them off you even more.” He added with a smirk on his face.

Belle giggled.

“Really?” she asked him running her finger down his chest.

He nodded.

“I love the colour against your skin. The way you look in them.”

Belle reached up and opened up her blouse.

“Do you like the matching bra?” she asked him.

“God Belle.” Aden groaned before he bent his head and kissed the valley between her breasts. He heard her gasp of pleasure and sighed.

Chapter 75

Ella woke up when Roman leaned over and kissed her belly. She gave a little gasp and her eyes shot open meeting his grinning expression.

“Hey.” He murmured. “You didn’t tell me what Miles went through.”

She shook her head.

“Wasn’t my place.” She whispered before sitting up cautiously. Turning her head she looked over at August, Fleur and Daniella asleep beside her on the blanket. From the looks of things around them Ella had been having a teddy bears picnic and he smiled remembering how she’d made him join in when Sophie, Georgie and Meggy had been small. He’d been so stiff sitting cross-legged on the blanket, not really joining in until Meggy had crawled into his lap and offered him a drink from her plastic teacup. Ella had looked over at him then and challenged him with her eyes to refuse his favourite. He’d taken the cup and made loud slurping noises making them all giggle especially Ella. She’d been pregnant with Sammy at the time and it had been rare for her to be out with the other babies, spending a lot of the pregnancy being ill.

He grimaced at the memory and looked up to see her watching him.

“Ok?” she asked.

He nodded.

“I’m good. Just remembering teddy bears picnic of the past.”

Ella looked back at the babies and smiled.

“Slurpy-Daddy.” She called him by the nickname that Meggy had given him once.

He chuckled and leaned over to kiss her again, this time on her sweet lips. He tasted strawberries from her lip gloss and smiled.

“So what are we going to do now?” she asked him.

“Just the question I was going to ask.” Angelo called out.

Ella’s gaze shot immediately to the sleeping children and she sprang up placing her hands on her hips as she looked over at the interloper. He was wearing his uniform and looked over at them as he folded his hands across his chest.

“Keep your stupid voice down.” She snapped out glaring at him.

Angelo looked straight into her eyes and gave a sickening sweet smile.

She stepped towards him her anger growing when she felt Roman place his hand on her arm. Looking up at him she caught a look in his eyes and half nodded in response.

“Angelo.” Roman acknowledged the other man.

“Harris.” Angelo snapped back. “It seems that my superiors are not that happy with you announcing yourself that you are alive.”

Roman shrugged.

If it hadn’t been for the kids asleep on the blanket he knew that Ella would have said something to the other man and he smiled.

“Maybe your superiors should have thought of that before dumping witness protection on me.” He said slowly stepping forward. He glanced at Ella before moving to the veranda away from the children. Ella looked at the babies quickly, checking on them before moving to follow her husband. She gave Angelo another look before standing next to Roman and placing her hand in his.

“So you knew where I lived all the time? What was it, some kind of sick game to mess with my head?” Ella bit out.

Roman gave her hand a squeeze when she’d finished talking.

“No.” Angelo muttered looking at the pair of them, how close they were standing with each other and sighed. “I had to check he wasn’t in contact because he’d disappeared on us for a number of days.”

Roman glanced at her knowing she was putting two and two together and working out that must have been when he was visiting Sammy. He felt her squeeze his hand and sighed before smiling at her.

“Well,” Ella began.

“Spying part of your job?” Roman interrupted Ella.

She glanced at him and looked back at Angelo seeing him look over her with a look that made her shudder and found Roman pulling her closer to him.

“Actually there were certain things I enjoyed.” Angelo announced.

Ella bit her lip and took a half step back.

“I’m sure you’d like to believe that.” Roman murmured. “So what are you doing here?”

Angelo grinned.

“I’m here to take you into custody.” He announced taking a step towards Roman,

Ella moved suddenly standing between the two men her hand outstretched.

“Over my dead body. You have no grounds for an arrest.” She snapped out.

“Protective custody.” Angelo drawled giving her a look.

“He’s quite protected here.” Ella snapped. “And no you aren’t taking him anywhere. Get off my property.”

“You need a woman to fight for you?” Angelo said giving Roman a look.

Roman laughed and placed his hand around Ella’s waist pulling her back against him.

“Need?” he scoffed. “No, I don’t need Ella to fight for me, she does that because she loves me.”

“Leave.” Ella snapped out. “Get off my property. You come here again without a warrant I’ll be speaking to your superiors to have you removed from his case. I’m sure they’ll be interested to learn that you’ve been stalking me.”

She glanced over to the blanket seeing one of the twins waking up and bit her lip, not wanting them to overhear this.

“You heard my wife.” Roman muttered having seen August sitting up and looking over at them.

“You think you can deal with Alexi Petrovic but you can’t.” Angelo sneered. “He’s going to come and take your family and then he going to kill you slowly.”

“Dad is there a problem?” Mike called out moving out from the poolhouse. He sprinted up the garden until he was standing a little way off from them. Ella looked over at him and frowned when she saw the bulge of a gun tucked into his jeans. He saw her looking and grinned at her.

“No problem.” Roman said slowly. “Angelo was just leaving.”

Angelo narrowed his eyes before looking around them. His hand shot to the top of his holster when he noticed that Mike had a weapon, his finger itching to pull out his gun. He glared at Mike.

“I’m licensed to carry a concealed weapon.” Mike told him as he folded his arms across his chest. “But don’t worry I’ll only use it for pests.”

Roman found himself grinning at that remark before he looked back at Angelo.

“Get out.” He told him. “I wouldn’t want you to get hurt accidentally.”

Ella looked around them and then over at her daughter. She could see August standing up and beginning to walk towards them and she groaned. She didn’t want August to be a part of this.

Mike grinned.

“Need any help seeing yourself out?” he asked Angelo.

Angelo glared at them all before he turned and stalked away. They heard his car start up after a moment and drive off.

“What the hell Mike?” Ella snapped at her son.

He lifted his top and showed her the gun.

“I keep it in a lock safe.” He told her. “and I know how to shoot.”

She shook her head at him before she turned and ran down the garden to her daughter.

“I guess that I’m not on her good books.” He commented to Roman.

“Why Mike? Did I do this? Bring..”

Mike laughed interrupting the other man.

“Dad, no, I loved the army. I always knew I wanted to go into it. I wanted to see what my Dad went through and why he loved it.” Mike told him quickly. “This.” He murmured touching his gun. “I have a family to protect now too.”

Roman nodded rubbing at his eyes. He glanced over at Ella before he nodded again and patted Mike on his back on his way over to her. He smiled down at August before leaning over and kissing Ella.

“Did you have a good picnic?” he asked them.

August nodded yawning sleepily.

“Did you save me any tea?” he grinned.

“No.” August shook her head looking around the blanket. She reached out and picked up a teddy bear and thrust that out in his direction. “Teddy drink it.” She told him.

“The teddy drank all my tea?” he said softly. “Well when I go make cookies that teddy isn’t getting any.”

“Cookies?” August lisped.

Roman nodded.

“Want to help me?” he asked her grinned as Ella smiled at them.

“Me helps.” Fleur called out quickly as she sat up and rubbed her eyes.

“Come on then.” He told them.

He reached down and picked up Daniella carrying the sleeping girl into the house and over to one of the long sofas in the lounge. He saw Liam and Lily stretched out asleep on the other one and smiled as he put Daniella down gently. He put the throw over her smiling as she slept on. Turning he saw Ella with the twins in the kitchen and chuckled when they looked over at him. He moved quickly towards them and washed his hands in the sink before grabbing bowls out and the ingredients for the cookies.

“Do you want to wash hands too?” he asked them.

Ella chuckled and moved to his side.

“I’m going to go sort laundry.” She murmured kissing him. “Their aprons are in the pantry.”

He smiled and kissed her again.

“Do we need to do shopping?” he asked. “The fridge looks kinda bare.

Ella groaned.

“Again? I just filled it up. We need to stop feeding the kids.”

He smiled over at her and then grinned stupidly as she ran her hand down his back.

“You up for shopping?” she asked him.

Roman nodded.

“I have missed it.” He admitted. “Along with al the other normal stuff.”

She shook her head stepping into the utility room.

Roman turned and focused on the girls getting their hands washed and then putting their aprons on. He smiled as they looked at each other and swapped aprons.

“Did I give you the wrong ones?” he asked and they both shook their heads. “Ok then.” He muttered and grinned as he began showing them how to make cookies.

“Hello, anyone home?” Nic called out coming in through the front door with Mira. She grinned as the little girl ran into the house looking for Lily.

“Hey.” Roman murmured. “In here.”

“Hey grandpa.” Mira called out running over to him. “What ya doing?” she asked him.

“I’m making cookies with my favourite daughters.” He said and saw Nic flush at the statement.

“Oi!” she cried out.

“Ignore him.” Ella said coming out of the laundry with a pile of folded clothes.

“Want some help?” Geoff offered immediately stepping forward to give her a hand with the pile of clothes she was carrying.

“It’s ok I’ve got it. Go help yourselves to a drink I’ll be down in a minute.” She told them. “Lily is asleep on the sofa.” She added looking at Mira.

“K’s.” Mira said quietly looking down at the floor.

“Why don’t you go wake her up?” Ella suggested.

“K’s” Mira said again running through to the lounge.

Ella grinned as she heard Mira call out wake up to her daughter and raised her eyebrow looking at Nic.

“She is no way just like me.” Nic said quickly.

“She so is.” Roman called out.

“Hey,” Nic gasped.

Ella grinned and moved out heading up the stairs. She moved into Sammy’s room and began sorting out his clothes. Throwing open the window to let some fresh air into the room. She knew she needed to have a talk to him about keeping his room tidy at some point and frowned knowing she was letting some things slack off.

She stepped into Liam and Lily’s room next and put their clothes away. She straightened their bedding and then moved out to her bedroom. Catching sight of her nightdress peeking out from under the covers she blushed and moved quickly to straighten up the bedding.

“Hey.” Nic called from the doorway. “There is a charity collection at the church so I’ve been sorting through clothes.” She said quickly.

“You want to look through my wardrobe Nic?” she asked her.

Nic grinned and moved over to the wardrobe. She gave Ella a shy look and opened it up.

“Dad’s clothes are back.” She said with a sigh.

Ella looked up and chuckled.

“Looks like he’s back.” She murmured looking at them.

“It’s good isn’t it Ella?” Nic turned and asked quickly. “Him being home.”

Ella walked quickly around the bed and put her arms around her stepdaughter.

“It’s brilliant.” She said softly. “And we are going to have an amazing Christmas.”

Nic nodded.

“Ok.” She said.

She reached out touched one of Ella’s long dresses.

“Are you sure these are for charity?” Ella asked.

“I thought I’d find you here.” Geoff said from the doorway. “Cheating on me with designer clothes.”

Nic blushed.

“But..” she murmured. “Geoff these are designer!” she gasped.

Ella chuckled.

“Only some of them are designer.” She pointed out. “You think I swan around in Chanel or La Criox when I might have babies spit up on me?”

Nic gave her a look before looking deeper into the wardrobe.

“It’s a Balenciaga!” she gasped out. “Why can’t I have one of these?” she moaned.

Ella sighed and caught Geoff grinning at his wife.

“We should leave her too it. She’ll be here for ages.”

“Put these away while you are at it.” Ella told her moving over to Nic and putting a pile of clean laundry in her arms.

“What?” Nic gasped.

Ella grinned and eased out of the room and up the stairs to the attic rooms. She saw Sammy, Tyler and Robbie sitting along the sofa watching one of the James Bond movies.

“Hey.” She murmured walking around the back of the sofa. “Your parents are here Robbie.”

“Oh, do they want me home?” he muttered frowning.

“No babes, they’ve come over for a visit.” She told him with a smile.

She moved into Georgie’s bedroom and placed his laundry on his spare bed. He was lying on the top bunk and listening to his Ipod.

“Did you knock?” he muttered to her.

“Nope.” She murmured. “Did you tidy up?”

He glared at her.

“Not watching the film with the others? We have popcorn?”

Georgie shook his head.

“I wanted to lay down for a bit.”

Elal looked at him before moving to place her hand on his forehead.

“A bit hot.” She commented.

“Yeah, I’m just tired Mum, don’t worry.”

“I’ll send yoru Dad up with some tablets and a drink.” She muttered.

“No.” Georgie said to her. “I’m fine.”

She nodded and moved back to the door.

“If you are sure.” She said.

He nodded and lay back on the bed.

Ella gave him a smile and eased out. She turned and went into Sophie and Meggy’s room and placed the last of the laundry in there. She wondered if she had a lay down on one of the beds how long it would take Roman to find her and chuckled before heading back out and down the stairs. She moved through the house and into the kitchen.

“Georgie is feeling a bit rough.” She commented to Roman.

He looked at her quickly.

“Should I go…” he began to ask.

She shook her head.

“He said he didn’t want any fuss. Keep a check on him.” She said with a sigh.

“Knock knock.” Irene called coming through the back.

“Hey Irene.” Ella called out back.

She was looking at the coffee pot so she didn’t notice the man walking in behind the other woman until she lifted her head.

“Daddy?” she whispered.

“Hey Princess.” George called out.

She turned and ran at him grinning stupidly as he hugged her.

“Missed you Daddy.” She gasped out.

“I know Princess.” He murmured. “I’m sorry I couldn’t get here sooner.” He added before glaring at Roman.

“George.” Roman said slowly.

“Roman.” George said back to him.

“What is it?” Ella asked picking up on the note in her Dad’s voice.

“Nothing.” George smiled at her. “Now then lets see these great-grandbabies.”

“Daniella is in there and Jennie is over in the poolhouse.”

“Jennie.” George sighed. “I like that name. She was an amazing woman.”

“She was Dad.” Ella confirmed thinking of Mike’s biological mother.

“Let me get some drinks going.” Irene said breaking into the solemn mood as she began moving around the kitchen.

Roman knelt down and helped his daughters leaving Ella to take her father into the other room.

“I’m getting so old.” George said.

“Yup.” Ella agreed. “This is Daniella.” She pointed out Gabby’s still sleeping daughter.

“She looks like you.” George commented.

“Sit down Daddy.” Ella guided him to a sofa. She looked round and frowned.

“What’s the matter?” he asked her.

“Lily has disappeared.” Ella said biting her bottom lip. “And that is never a good thing.”

George laughed.

Chapter 76

“Spit it out George.” Roman said quietly.

He’d been watching the other man for a time feeling tension building up between them all through dinner and this was the first chance he’d had to get the other man on his own. They were standing on the back veranda; George had taken his coffee outside and had sat down looking out at the garden. There were lights coming from Gabby’s place and both the upper and lower floors of the poolhouse and Roman had a smile on his face thinking about the way that Ella had planned and plotted to keep her family around her.

“It doesn’t matter.” George said after a moment.

“Obviously it does.” Roman continued folding his arms as he moved over to stand in front of where he was sitting.

“Fine it does.” George shot out standing up and glaring at Roman. “I put in for retirement two years ago.”

“Wait, what has…” Roman muttered taken aback by George’s tone.

“They wouldn’t let me out. They wouldn’t even let me back to attend your so-called funeral. Any idea why?” George told him in a scathing voice. “No I didn’t think so, son.”

“Wait George.” Roman began taking half a step forward.

“Back away son.” George told him his hand curling into fists at his sides. “All you’ve ever done is hurt my little girl and I can’t stand it that yet again it’s someone from your past.”

Roman took a half step back out of reflex.

“Look, “ he began.

“At what?” George asked. “What are you going to say that makes any of this better? One person is dead already and you know they are going to come after you.” George all but shouted at him. “And I swear if my daughter gets hurt again because of you I’ll kill you myself.”

Roman looked at the other man trying to summon up a response. He felt defensive and somehow really angry and he didn’t like either feeling. She was his wife and he had to protect her, and that was his job and not this man. This man had let Ella’s own mother hit her. What right did he have to get mad with him?

“Your Daughter is my wife.” Roman muttered. “You stood at the altar and gave her over to my care and I will do everything in my power to protect her. So don’t come here with your petty grievance sprouting about your hardships when you’ve failed her all of your life.”

George looked at him before he pulled back his fist and punched the other man. The blow caught Roman by surprise and he felt himself fall back off his feet and on to the grass behind him. Looking up at George he gave a gasp as he saw Ella standing behind them.

“And that one I owed you.” He snapped out looking at the prone Roman.

“What is going on?” Ella snapped out looking form one to the other.

“Nothing.” George told her turning to face his daughter. “Just some baggage being sorted out.”

“Oh, it isn’t sorted.” Roman shot out standing slowly before looking at George and then Ella.

George gave him a look.

“I’m going to bed.” He announced giving Ella a smile before walking past Roman and across the garden.

Ella watched until she saw her father climbing the steps to go into his place before she turned to look at Roman.

“Tell me.” She muttered.

“He wasn’t allowed to retire apparently.” Roman muttered folding his arms. He realised that he’d done that defensive thing again and could have sworn only the fact that Ella was standing in front of him stopped him from unfolding his arms knowing that she would know that he was feeling uncomfortable with her knowing him so well. He frowned at the thoughts going through his head before gasping when Ella turned away from him and stalking into the house.

He followed her after a moment and swore under his breath when the lights flicked out.

“Ok so you are mad at me.” He muttered.

“I’m glad you worked that out.” She said softly, not raising her voice because of the sleeping children. She began walking up the stairs leaving him behind.

Roman glared at her feeling angry and upset and annoyed and frustrated by the whole thing. No one had asked him how he felt about losing Betsy and just expected him to deal with the other woman’s death just like that. Then George had actually hit him. Not only hit him but knocked him off his feet with one punch and Ella had not said one word about that to the other man. Why hadn’t she even asked if he were ok?

He stalked up the stairs behind her getting to the bedroom just as she shut the door. He heard the click of the key turning in the lock and swore before taking a step back and lifting his foot he kicked the door open.

“What the….” Ella gasped out stepping back from him.

“Oh so it’s ok for you to be mad at me but I’m not allowed to be mad at you.” Eh bit out.

Striding over to her he pulled her into his arms and shook her,

“You never even asked if I were ok.” He bit out before he lifted her up and threw her on to the bed. He looked down at her and sighed. “She was my friend.” He muttered.

Ella looked at him and bit back a reply sensing that whatever she said would spark off something in him that she couldn’t control.

“And she was killed to make a point, to get to me.” He added striding to the door and shutting it. He glanced at the lock seeing the splintered wood there and sighed before turning back to her.

“And you think that locking me out because you are mad is going to upset me?” he asked her in a scathing voice.

“Roman….” Ella called out in a quiet voice.

He reached down and grabbed hold of the hem of his t shirt pulling it up and off over his head in a smooth motion before kicking off his trainers. He looked over at Ella dismissing the sudden frightened look in her eyes as he removed his shorts and walked naked over to her bed. Looking down her body he saw the way the maxi dress she was wearing moulded her slim body and he smiled grimly.

“Take it off or I’ll rip it off.” He told her.

“No you won’t.” she said a quiver of fear in her voice despite her trying to adopt an angry tone.

“Don’t mess with me.” He said looking her in the eyes. “I want to have sex with you.”

“Whether I want to or not?” she said trying not to be scared.

“Yes.” He told her.

Ella began to scramble away from him across the bed crying out in panic when he reacted quickly and caught hold of her ankle. He pulled her back along the bed before moving to pin her back on the covers. Leaning down he kissed her, feeling her struggle against him. He rubbed his hands all over her body before reaching up and undoing the single tie that held the dress up. Smiling grimly once more he pulled at the elasticised bodice and pushed it down sighing when he saw the lace of her bra underneath.

“You’ve always dressed to turn me on.” He moaned as he lowered his head to kiss the spill of flesh at the top of the bra.

“Roman you can’t do this to me.” She moaned hating the feel of heat going through her. How could she enjoy this subjugation, she asked herself.

“I’m going to do more than just kiss you.” He promised her.

“No no no.” she moaned trying to get her hands free. One arm was bent behind her back and the other was in his grasp.

He smiled down at her before leaning down and capturing her nipple in his mouth through the lace of her bra. He chuckled when the small pink nub hardened and she moaned against her will.

He groaned against her lips as he kissed her again before easing away and removing his boxer shorts. He gave her a look before moving away and into the en suite. Ella rolled away and eased off the bed. She wrapped her arms around herself and stepped towards the door thinking of escape before she heard the shower come on in the bathroom. Groaning she turned and walked to the en suite looking at Roman as she stood under the shower.

“What the hell was that?” she gasped out.

He half turned so he could look at her, cursing that he was stood under a cold shower because as turned on as he was a moment ago he wasn’t going to make love to her while he was mad.

“Are you mad because I stopped?” he asked her in a sneering tone.

“No I’m bloody furious that you did that at all.” She snapped spinning around to walk away form him.

Roman reacted instinctively yanking her into the shower with him finding a strange satisfaction in her squeals as she shivered under the cold water.

“What the…” she gasped out swearing at him.

He laughed before his eyes met hers and he sobered as suddenly as he’d burst out laughing.

“You never asked me if I were ok.” He told her in a sad voice. “Why didn’t you ask me Ella?”

“Because you wouldn’t have told me anyway.” She told him back. “Since when do you admit that things hurt you without me threatening to leave you if you won’t” she said her teeth chattering from the icy water pouring down over them. Her hair was plastered to her skull and she looked fragilely beautiful.

Roman sighed and turned the water to hot before tugging her into his arms wrapping his own tight around her before resting his head on top of hers.

“Your Dad had a go at me for getting you into this mess. He’s worried about you.” He said trying not to let on how worried he was about the situation with Alexi.

“So you had a go back? That isn’t going to solve anything is it?” she said with a sigh.

“So you are ignoring that he hit me?” Roman muttered sounding defensive. He registered that he sounded just a touch like Sammy when he was being told off.

“Like I ignored the fact that you hit him before now.” She whispered nuzzling against him as she tried to get warmer.

Roman groaned.

“I forgot about that.” He muttered looking down at her before he lifted her out of the shower. He turned off the water and stripped her wet clothes from her before wrapping her in a towel. He grabbed one for himself and wrapped it around his waist.

“Come on.” He said leading her back to bed.

“Roman…” she cried.

“Shush.” He murmured before giving her a look and then dropping the wet towel to the floor. He watched as she smiled before she did the same and climbed into the bed, holding the covers up as he climbed in next to her.

“Love you.” She murmured still grinning.

Roman sighed as he kissed her, he felt her hands reaching out to touch him and groaned.

“Don’t.” he muttered.

“Don’t what?” Ella asked pulling back from him and looking into his eyes.

“Try and make me feel better.” He groaned once more and rolled over away from her.

Ella looked at him seeing that he closed his eyes before she rolled over and moved in the bed, She had no idea what was going on with him feeling the events of the night confusing her even more. How could he want her one minute and then the next just turn away from her. She felt hot tears drip down her face and she bit her lip to stifle her cries before burying her face in the pillow. She bit back a groan as Roman switched out the light and plunged them into darkness indicating that he was planning on going to sleep.

Roman waited for Ella to go to sleep beside him wanting to go downstairs and find the whisky. He felt angry that no one understood where he was coming from. Of course he hadn’t wanted to leave Ella or the kids but if it meant that they were safe then he would do the same again. He hadn’t known how badly hurt Ella was and that crucified him knowing she had needed help with the babies.

He turned to her and pulled her into his arms feeling her shudder as she sobbed.

“El.” He whispered kissing the back of her neck. “Don’t cry.”

“Then don’t-hic-make me –hic-cry.” She stuttered out.

Roman groaned and eased her on to her back on the bed. He looked into her eyes seeing fresh tears trace a silver trail down her cheeks and leaned down kissing them away before he found her lips. She kissed him back with a passion clinging to him.

“Shush.” He whispered easing away from her.

“Don’t ..” she cried out.

“I’m only slowing down.” He explained softly reaching out to stroke her hair back from her face. It was still wet from the shower with just a few little tendrils curling softly around her face as they dried. Leaning down again he kissed her lips before trailing kisses down her neck. She moaned as he found all those spots that sent shoots of pleasure through her and then gave a gasp when he fondled her breasts. He teased her nipples into arousal before lowering his head to kiss them. He smiled as she arched up from the bed, her hands reaching for him.

“Slow.” He murmured moving to kiss down her body.

Ella looked at him and froze feeling like she was acting like a desperate woman. She tried to resist the darting pleasure going through her as he kissed down to her belly button.

Roman moved in the bed as he felt her withdrawal from him, pressing his lips together to stop himself from calling her name. Sighing he reached for her hand and placed it on his chest where his heart was beating.

“Love you.” He whispered.

Ella sighed before leaning into him and kissing him. She groaned when he moved over the top of her and inbetween her legs.

He kissed her again and again feeling her touching him slowly.

“If you don’t want to I can stop.” He said after a moment.

Ella shook her head feeling tears clogging the back of her throat and reacted by kissing him so that she wouldn’t cry again.

Roman looked down on her wondering if she really thought she was fooling him.

“I love you Ella Harris.” He told her quietly.

Her eyes shot open and she looked up into his face, crying out in shock at the knowing look on his face.

“I’m not really in the mood right now.” He said softly. “So do you mind if I just hold you for a while.”

Ella moaned before wrapping her arms tight around him and pressing herself close to him.

“Liar.” She muttered. “I can tell that you are so in the mood.”

“I can’t be held responsible for what that does when you are clinging to me.” He said and heard her give a soft laugh in response.

He began to ease away from her and sighed when she held on to him.

“Please don’t.” she told him. “I want to.”

“El, you’ve been upset. We shouldn’t.”

“Please.” She murmured looking at him.

Roman sighed before he kissed her again.

Chapter 77

Ella rolled over as she woke up and sighed at the empty bed. She sat up and looked around the room frowning as she realised not only was she now wearing a nightdress but also socks. Grabbing her phone she starred at the time before frowning. She’d spent most of the day in bed. Yawning she climbed out of the bed and padded over to the en suite. Stripping off and stepping under the shower she frowned again, realising that the wet towels had been picked up and the room tidied. She groaned as her hair resisted all attempts to tame it and dressed hurriedly before racing out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

She saw the children quietly sitting on the sofas and frowned again. Normally they were that well behaved when they had just been told off or were trying to get something past her.

“Mama.” Fleur called out noticing her. “Sleeps long.”

Ella nodded and smiled at her daughter.

“Yes I slept a long time.” She murmured to her as she moved over and kissed the top of her head. She glanced around the room and frowned again. “What’s all this?” she asked.

Sammy shot out of his seat before sitting down again.

“Anyone else want to tell me before Sammy pees himself?” Ella asked her children.

“Mother!” Sammy cried out.

She grinned at him before sighed when she caught the smell of fresh coffee.

“Here you go.” Roman called out.

He walked across the room towards her with a cup in his hand and she sighed again.

“Thank you.” She murmured her eyes meeting his with difficulty.

He grinned and leaned down kissing her on her lips before pacing the cup carefully in her hands.

“So what are they?” she asked him pointing to the packages under the tree.

“Just a few things.” He said stroking down her arm until he took hold of her hand. “I wanted to do some spoiling.”

Ella looked at him before catching Sophie and Meggy grinning at her. She glared back at them before allowing herself to be taken over to the tree. She kneeled in front of it grinning as Roman sat next to her on the floor.

“So.” She murmured. “The house is clean, there are flowers everywhere and the kids are quiet.” She said to him. “What did I do to deserve that?”

Roman smiled over at her as she sipped at the coffee.

“Just wanted to…” he stopped and glanced over at the children who had stopped watching tv and were listening in. “say thank you for making love to me so many times last night.” He finished.

“Yuk” Sammy groaned. “That’s it, I’m outta here.” He declared and stood up walking out of the room, followed by Georgie.

Ella glared over at Roman, blushing at the same time and groaning at his smug expression.

“You.” She groaned again.

Turning away from the look he gave her in return she focused on the pile of presents.

“So..” she murmured.

“I think you might guess what the big one is.” He told her.

She looked at him and nodded realising that it was the tea set he’d bought her before reaching out and picking up a small square box.

“Jewellery?” she muttered giving him another look as she shook the box.

“Hey!” Meggy cried out. “I get told off for that.” She caught Sophie looking at her and flushed. “Well I do.” She muttered.

Ella grinned at her daughter before she put the box down and picked up the next one.

“Roman.” She groaned.

He reached out and stroked her face.

“I just want a nice Christmas with no drama. I apologised to your Dad this morning.”

Ella nodded.

“I wasn’t ..” she stopped. “I think we need to move away.”

“Mama.” Lily cried out.

Ella smiled at her daughter and then gasped as Roman leaned over to her and kissed her.

“Remember my Christmas wish?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“I’m going to make a new one this year.” He said quietly.

Ella flushed remembering how Roman had made love to her under the Christmas tree. Her eyes immediately went over her twin daughters and she smiled unaware that Roman was thinking just how beautiful she looked at that moment. She turned and looked at him, giving him a puzzled glance as he looked deep into her eyes with a blazing look of passion on his face.

“Oh.” She whispered, sighing as he kissed her deeply.

“Do we need to leave the room?” Meggy called out.

Ella blushed and eased away from Roman before standing up. She sipped at her coffee and looked around them all before looking back at him and blushing once more.

“Quit it.” She muttered.

Roman chuckled and eased up.

“Think you can stand to come shopping with me?” he asked her.

Ella smiled.

“Well if you are doing your usual buffet tomorrow night.” She said referring to the spread he did for all of them on Christmas Eve.

He nodded.

“So we’ll need shopping.” She said with a groan before catching the grin on Meggy’s face. “Ok what is it?” she asked her daughter.

“Nothing.” Meggy said closing her mouth quickly.

“Uh huh Megan Hope Harris.” Ella murmured to her daughter giving her a look.

Meggy giggled as she looked back at her.

“Mama me want to go.” Lily said to her pouting.

Ella sighed and looked at Roman.

“Did you not take her with you this morning?” she asked him.

“Don’t be silly. I didn’t take anyone. I’ve learnt that lesson before now.” He murmured back grinning as Lily pouted at him.

Roman looked over at Ella and smiled.

“Do you want some toast?” he asked her instead of asking if she was ok.

Ella stood and moved over to the sofa sitting next to Liam.

“A toasted cheese sandwich.” She told him.

Liam gave a little gasp before he climbed into her lap and snuggled up to her.

“Me’s hungry,” he announced.

Ella grinned.

“That so little man.” She murmured kissing his cheek.

“I get the hint.” Roman told them.

He walked over to Ella and kissed her before taking the cup out of her hand. Walking into the kitchen he grinned as he made a big plate of toasted sandwiches before taking them and a second cup of coffee back through to the lounge.

“How am I going to eat all those?” Ella asked softly looking down at Liam and watching as he pouted and looked at her.

“Me helps?” he suggested in his sweet voice.

Ella smiled and kissed him before she reached for a sandwich and handed it to him.

“Blow on it.” She instructed him softly. “In case it’s still hot.” She explained.

Liam nodded and took a careful bite.

“Mama?” Lily asked shuffling closer to her.

“Want one sweet girl?” Ella called picking up another sandwich and handing that out to a nodding Lily.

Roman grinned and disappeared into the kitchen again.

Ella looked over at the twins and saw them watching her carefully before grinning and breaking a sandwich into half giving them a small piece each. She turned and held the plate out to Meggy and Sophie chuckling when they reached for one at the same time.

“I can’t help it that I missed his toasties.” Meggy said with a sigh. “I mean yours are good Soph, but well Dad’s are better.”

Ella laughed before taking a bite of her own toasted sandwich.

“Remember when Sammy tried to do peanut butter and jam in his toastie?” Sophie asked with a giggle.

“That explains it.” Roman called out.

Ella giggled at the girls’ expressions of shock.

“Had you forgotten he hears everything?” she asked them.

Sophie blushed.

“Everything?” she asked quickly getting distracted.

“Yup.” Roman agreed and put a second plate of toasted sandwiches on the table in front of them.

“We smell food.” Sammy called out from the stairs.

“And that is why we need to go shopping.” Roman muttered.

“Explains what?” Ella asked him, stroking her free hand down his back as he sat next to her.

“Why you needed a new sandwich toaster.” He said trying not to sigh at her touch.

“Look, it seemed to work.” Sammy said walking into the room and overhearing them. “In theory the fillings made sense. It wasn’t my fault that the jam burnt on and the peanut butter was the crunchy kind and the smooth.”

“Uh huh.” Roman murmured.

“Can we?” Georgie asked pointing to the sandwiches.

Ella nodded.

“Don’t they do manners anymore?” Roman asked her softly.

Ella rolled her eyes.

“No, they are teenagers.” She said to him catching Georgie flushing with embarrassment.

“El…” Roman began.

Ella smiled at him.

“When it matters.” She informed him softly a note of pride in her voice.

Roman sighed and eased back on the sofa sipping at the coffee he’d brought in for himself as he looked at his kids. He thought about how Lily loved swimming and Liam seemed so quiet, Lily’s personality seeming to dominate him, although nothing could take away the gleam in his eyes when he had an idea for mischief come into his head. The twins were so independent and yet intertwined with each other. He couldn’t believe he’d father three sets of twins now. The fraternal ones came from separate eggs, meaning he’d managed to knock her up twice in one go. August and Fleur were identical, aside from two tiny freckles and that meant one egg divided into two babies. Glancing at Ella he saw her smiling at him and knew that he was thinking about the children. He couldn’t help giving her a smile back. She’d known he would spot the difference in the two babies, of course because even though he’d never actually told her that he did it, she had known he counted her freckles when he kissed her.

He took another drink of his coffee smiling some more as he thought about how close the kids were with each other. Even with Lily’s tantrums about the new babies she’d become as protective of them as she had of Liam.

“You smirk like that much longer and you’ll have to let us in on the secret.” Ella told him.

“Thinking of the kids.” He confessed. “How close they are.”

Ella nodded.

“I think we should tell them.” She murmured biting her lip.

Roman leaned over and kissed her quickly wanting to ease her distress before he looked at the kids.

“You know in the past we’ve always been up front with you about stuff going on.” He said to them watching carefully as they all turned and looked at him.

“What is going on Dad?” Georgie was the first to comment. “You two stop talking when we walk into a room so we know that something is.”

Ella nodded.

“Well.” She began.

“We want to keep you safe.” Roman said. “So we are going to send you away.”

“Away?” Meggy squealed.

“I’m not leaving Steve.” Sophie gasped out.

“Where?” Georgie asked looking at the others and nodding indicating that they should be quiet and listen. Roman watched as the others fell silent and he tried not to feel left out by that. Focusing back on the discussion he looked at them before talking again.

“We thought we would send you to boarding school.” He announced.

“No way.” Sophie muttered folding her arms and glaring at her dad.

Roman looked back at her.

“Listen carefully ok, this is not William or Elliot. This is someone who won’t stop with.” His voice broke and he wondered how to continue.

“You’ll be safer and we won’t worry about you.” Ella interrupted him. “We’ve made arrangements so that you can all go together and even stay in the same room. “

“Yeah, so not going but thanks.” Meggy shot out.

“Afraid so.” Ella said. “This isn’t a debate, and there will be no vote. We are your parents and we need to make sure that you are safe and protected.”

Georgie looked at his dad before looking at his sister.

“What about the little ones?” he asked slowly.

“Gabby is going to take them with her and they are going to stay with Toby.” Ella said slowly.

“I think boarding school could be fun.” Sammy said finally his voice quiet.

“Only because you want to be like Mike.” Sophie shot out glaring at her brother.

“Enough.” Roman said quickly. “This isn’t an easy situation for any of us.”

Ella sat back biting her lip for a moment before speaking again.

“I think you are being selfish.” She told them. “This isn’t easy for me. Do you think I want you somewhere else? But I need to know you are safe and that means in this instance you go somewhere where you can be safe and protcected. So after Christmas you are going to boarding school there will be no further discussion on the matter.”

Sophie stood up and glared at them.

“You must be crazy if you think I’m going to go.”

She gave them another look before storming out of the room. After a few minutes all the others followed her leaving just the babies and Lily and Liam behind.

Ella looked at her youngest before turning to Roman and burying her face in his chest as she burst into tears.

“We’re doing this for the best.” He told her softly as he held her.

“Don’t-care.” She muttered. “Still-hate-you.” She sniffed.

Roman nodded.

“I know.” He murmured hating himself too for putting her through this.

Chapter 78

Roman looked over at Ella as she stood by the supermarket shelf. She was reading the ingredients on a packet and he couldn’t help but be worried about her. She had been reading the same packet for the last five minutes. Oh, and did he mention that she hadn’t spoken two words to him since they had set out.

“Ella.” He called out.

He waited a long moment before repeating himself, calling her name louder and was rewarded when she looked up at him.

“Hey.” He said softly.

She shook her head at him and he frowned not knowing what to do.

“El.” He murmured quietly coming over to her.

She looked up at him tears in her eyes.

“I want a divorce.” She muttered. “I don’t want to do this.”

Roman nodded before he reached out and taking the packet out of her hands he put it to one side before drawing her closer to him and holding her.

“Ok.” He said reasonably.

Ella nodded before she burst into tears.

“Shall we get the divorce now or would you like to finish shopping first?” he asked after a moment.

“Now.” She muttered.

“Ok, do you want to go home?” he said finally and felt her shake her head. “Do you want to …” he stopped unable to think of a suggestion. “El.” He murmured feeling tears gathering in his own eyes.

She sniffed and reached into her pocket taking out her handkerchief and wiping her eyes before taking a step back and looking at the shelf again.

“So what else is on the list?” she asked, her voice still sounding hurt.

Roman bit back a sigh and looked down on the page in front of him.

“Pretty much everything.” He muttered.

Ella nodded before she walked away from him and to the aisle that housed the alcohol. Roman groaned and followed her.

“It would help if you talked to me.” He said quickly.

“Here.” She said handing him bottles of champagne.

He shook his head and placed them in the trolley before accepting the bottle of vodka she held out to him.

“Just one?” he asked keeping a neutral expression on his face when she glared at him.

She turned and picked up whisky and rum and then tequila.

“Ella, stop and talk to me please.” He begged her as she placed the bottles in the trolley.

“What is there to say Roman?” she asked and he flinched at her use of his name.

“I don’t know.” He said to her. “How about Roman I hate you because I’ve never spent that long away from my kids and it’s killing me inside.” He suggested.

Ella looked at him and nodded.

“But what is the point? Nothing can change.”

“You could go with them.” He pointed out quietly.

She shook her head.

“If I go you’ll do something stupid like sacrifice yourself for us.” She muttered.

“Hello.” Rachel called out walking towards them.

“Hey.” Ella said softly.

“I knew it.” Rachel muttered looking at Roman before she put her arms around him and hugged him.

“Hey Rachel.” Roman greeted the other woman and returned the hug before releasing her.

“Mate!” Tony called over to him catching up with his wife. He set aside the trolley and reached out to shake Roman’s hand. “It’s good to see you.”

Roman looked at Ella and smiled.

“See, someone found out I was alive and didn’t punch me.” He murmured.

Tony laughed.

“I can understand that a few people wouldn’t be happy.” Tony said slowly looking from one to the other. “So back to the old grindstone then?” he added pointing to the shopping trolley.

“Christmas shopping.” Roman confirmed. “Although I’m not sure it will fit in one trolley this year.”

Rachel gave Ella a searching look before she moved back to Tony’s side.

“You ok Ella?” she asked.

Ella nodded.

“Fine.” She said back. “Just got lots to do.”

Rachel nodded.

“I can understand that. I don’t know how you do it each year. All those kids around.”

Ella flinched and felt Roman reach out and take hold of her hand quickly.

“It’s a complete nightmare.” He said with a half smile twisting his handsome lips. “You should babysit sometime and find out.”

Rachel laughed and shook her head.

“No thanks, I’m not sure I can cope with babies.”

Ella sucked in a quick breath before pinning a smile on her face.

“We should get finished.” She told Roman.

He nodded quickly before turning to Tony and Rachel.

“Let’s meet for a coffee and a catch up.” He suggested.

“That sounds great. Give me a text, yeah?” Rachel said quickly her eyes meeting Ella’s.

Ella nodded before watching the other couple walk away.

“Not then.” Roman said turning to her.

She flinched and pulled back form him.

“God, Ella.” He groaned seeing her reaction to him.

“I can’t.” she cried out. “Not pretend this is ok.”

“So what do you want me to do or say here?” he asked her a bitter note entering his voice. “Tell me.” He begged her.

“I want you to say that we don’t have to send the kids off to be safe. I’ve only ever spent a handful of nights away from them ever.”

Roman groaned.

“I thought we weren’t going to have this discussion.” He muttered feeling defensive.

Ella glared at him before she turned and stalked away leaving Roman standing there watching her. He looked down and shook his head before turning to the shelves with the whiskies on and put several more bottles into the trolley. Pete and Jacko were coming down to spend Christmas with them so one bottle wasn’t going to be enough. He added a few more bottles before moving to the next aisle and started added sodas and juices.

“You’ll need more than that.” Ella said quietly.

Roman smiled before he raised his head and looked at her.

“Really?” he asked her.

She moved to a shelf and picked out more cartons of juice and placed them in the trolley.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.

“I know what this is doing to you Ella.” He said back.

He reached out and caught hold of her hand pulling her over to him so the could put his arm around her shoulders and kiss her. He heard her sigh and matched it.

“But the good thing is that after dealing with Lily I don’t think Toby will be making us grandparents anytime soon.”

Ella glared at him.

“I think you mean all of the little ones.” She muttered.

“No, “ Roman murmured. “Definitely, just Lily.”

She elbowed him in the ribs before stepping away down the aisle.

Roman laughed and followed her.

“Have you found him?” Alexi murmured sitting back against the dark leather seat of the large four by four vehicle. The car was black with dark tinted windows that you couldn’t see into giving him a quasi feeling of safety as they travelled through the countryside. The dark non-descript can was being driven by a man wearing a dark non descript suit. His general description was tall, dark, broad shouldered and bulky. Most importantly he spoke no English and couldn’t report back on the discussion in the back seat where Alexi and one of his men were seated.

“He’s in Summer Bay. Returned home.”

“Finally.” Alexi said with a trace of a smile on his face.

His eyes were a dark brown; almost a menacing black in certain lights and his black hair was cropped close to his head. He too, wore a dark black suit, his was Armini, his shirt and shoes and other accessories were also from designers. His figure was trim due to the lack of luxury of a prisoners diet and too much time where the only activity was working out in the prison gym. He turned and looked at the man beside him, a fellow solider and one of his trusted allies.

“So what are we doing?” he was asked.

“I think we should get on a plane and pay him a little visit.” Alexi said his tone like ice.

Ella looked at Roman and grinned.

“So you’ve got this.” She said softly as the food and drink was being scanned through the checkout.

Roman nodded before he looked at her and groaned.

“I don’t have any money.” He admitted.

Ella chuckled and looked at him.

“Good job I have.” She told him. “Maybe you should do something about that?” she suggested grinning at him.

“I did.” He said folding his arms across his chest. “I married a rich woman.”

Ella glared at him.

“Really?” she asked him.

He nodded as he moved and began bagging up the items. Ella hid her smile as she watched him. He was placing the items in order and packing them according to what they were.

“Stop it.” He grumbled a smile on his face.

“But it’s so cute.” Ella told him grinning. “I love the way you pack groceries!”

“Uh huh.” He muttered.

He looked at the tin of tomatoes in his hand and put that in the bag with the juice in.

“Ouh, you rebel.” Ella said softly.

Roman looked at her and grinned before finishing bagging the groceries. As always he was surprised by the total that rang up on the till at the end, knowing that they would probably have to do this again in a few days. As Ella paid he steered the over burdened trolley to the exit and waited smiling as she caught up with him.

“So do you think that five bottles of whisky is enough?” she asked him.

“Is one bottle of vodka enough for you?” he asked back.

Ella looked at him.

“Are we going to have an argument?” she muttered.

“Only if we get make up sex.” He said quickly.

Ella giggled suddenly, feeling herself relaxing with him.

They reached the car and started loading up the back with the bags.

“Do we need anything else? Any last minute presents?” he asked her.

Ella sighed.

“I don’t know if I have any money left after that shopping trip.” She murmured reaching out and stroking down his back.

“Maybe we could take a walk later?” he suggested suddenly.

“Roman?” Ella stopped and turned to him.

“I just want to spend some time with you.” He admitted. “Tomorrow the house will be full and as much as I love it I want to hold your hand and have just you and me for a few minutes. No drama.”

Ella sighed.

“We’ve got to get back to the kids.”

Roman looked at her.

“Not even ten minutes more?” he found himself saying.

“Ok fine.” She muttered.

“Ok then.” He said. “Come on,”

She glared at him as he closed the car up and locked it before taking her hand and with the other pushing the empty trolley back towards the supermarket. He parked it before leading her away and into the town. Ella frowned at him before she fell into step besides him.

“Why are you trying to distract me?” she asked him. “And keep me out longer?”

“I’m not allowed to tell you.” He admitted.

“Really, so you really don’t mind that we’ll never have sex again?”

Roman stopped and looked at her.

“You know that you’ve threatened me with that before.” He said.

She narrowed her eyes and glared at him without speaking.

“Which of course makes me all the more grateful you haven’t followed through on that threat, dear” he murmured.

Ella muttered something under her breath, which sounded like he’d be lucky if she let him even sleep on the sofa anytime soon and moved off towards a shop leaving him there.

“Kids,” he said slowly before following her. “You better be grateful for this.”

Only moments before they were due to set off to come out shopping Sophie had approached and told him to keep her mother out until four pm. He’d tried to talk to her, especially in light of the argument they’d had before about the kids going to boarding school and Sophie had held up her hand and told him that they would discuss that with him later. Even now thinking about it he couldn’t help the smile that crawled onto his face at how like Ella she was at that moment. Well Ella and just a touch of Nicole thrown in for good measure. Actually, now thinking about he decided that he wasn’t going to be giving Steve such a hard time for dating his daughter after all, the poor guy needed a break.

Chapter 79

Ella walked in through the front door and sighed. The kids had been up their tricks again she thought with a sigh. The house was spotless, and a pleasant smell of flowers seemed to be coming from the utility room, as did Sophie. Her daughter had a strange look on her face, a cross between guilt, panic and horror.

“Ok what did you do?” Ella asked feeling Roman stepping inside the hallway and stopping to stand behind her.

“We were doing a good thing.” Sophie cried out.

“Uh huh.” Ella stepped forward and into the utility room where she saw Meggy and Sammy trying to look innocent. Looking past them she saw her favourite tablecloth sitting on the top of the washer in a soggy heap.

“Mummy.” Meggy said quickly.

“That appears to be a different colour.” Ella commented placing her hands on her hips. “You are aware that I bought that in Spain before Mike was born aren’t you?” she commented as she picked it up and looked at it. “Interesting rip there.” She added as she looked at the lace trim hanging off the edge.

“We didn’t mean to….” Sammy began.

Ella looked at the three kids in turn before she looked at Roman.

“So that walk you wanted to take, was it for any reason in particular?” she asked sarcastically.

He met her gaze with difficulty.

“Kids go unload the car and put the shopping away.” He ordered hiding his grin as they ran out the room. “Spain?” Roman asked.

Ella nodded.

“I backpacked through Europe remember.” Ella said quietly.

“And you bought a tablecloth?” Roman muttered.

Ella nodded.

“It has antique handmade lace on.” She told him. “Or did.”

Roman looked at his fuming wife and ignoring the unspoken threat of sleeping somewhere else tonight and just smiled at her. He knew it was a bad moment to tell her that he’d just fallen in love with her again. Backpacking around Europe and spending money on a tablecloth seemed adorable if somewhat wacky.

His grin disappeared when a pair of wet boxers landed on his face.

“What?” he gasped out cutting off the swearwords that followed the word and plucked the red boxers from his face. He saw that they were his and he grinned before trying to adopt a neutral expression. “Oh.”

“Who did the laundry last?” Ella asked softly.

“That would be me, dear.” He told her.

“So you made sure everything was out of the machine?” she asked redundantly.

Roman nodded.

“Of course I did.” He murmured. “Everything except these.” He added at her look. “Can I say sorry or…”

Ella looked at him and stormed past him and up the stairs leaving him with an armful of wet tablecloth that she thrown at him in disgust.

“That would be a no then?” he said to the empty space left behind.

He looked at the tablecloth before placing in back into the machine and putting it on a wash, maybe some of the extra colour would come out and if he could find a needle and thread he could sow. Well he’d used to sow his badges on his uniform and they had to be neat he remembered with a grimace. Placing the wet boxer shorts to one side he moved out into the kitchen and saw the three kids standing in a row.

“Ok, who wants to go first?” he asked folding his arms.

“We’d planned to set the table and make it all nice.” Sammy began lapsing into silence as Sophie looked at him. “Well you know I can’t keep a secret.” He defended his easy cave in.

Roman forced his lips not to curve into a smile with difficulty feeling the corners twitch.

Sophie sighed before looking at her dad.

“We’ve made all the beds and tidied the rooms ready for people coming.” She explained. “Will that help get us out of this mess?”

Roman shook his head.

“I really don’t think so.” He said. “But the good news it that your mother will be giving me the silent treatment too.”

“How is that good news?” Sammy asked him.

“One day you’ll be in a relationship and realise that the silent treatment is occasionally a good thing, my son.” Roman said before he looked around the kitchen. “Did you put all of the shopping away?”

“Most of it, there is still some on the car.” Meggy said before catching Sophie glaring at her. “Well there is.” She muttered.

“Go on and finish it.” Roman said before he stretched and moved out of the kitchen and up the stairs. He stood for a second before taking a step and entering the bedroom. Ella was laying face down full length on the bed, her arms folded underneath her head.

“El.” He said softly.

“Not going to work.” She muttered. “Do you know how long I’ve had….”

“Yeah, I got that. But..”

Ella looked up and shook her head.

“Forget it.”

“What do you mean forget it.”

“You aren’t going to listen.”

“I’m here aren’t I? Roman said softly sitting on the bed.

Ella sighed before placing her head back on her folded arms leaving Roman looking at her.

“Ok tell me. I’m listening.” He tried again.

“Seriously, forget it.” Ella muttered. “The kids are grounded.”

Roman pressed his lips together to stop his first comment slipping out and taking a deep breath he murmured.

“For how long?” he asked, still grinning.

She muttered something under her breath before turning and looking at him.

“A couple of months?” she muttered quickly.

“Uh huh.” He said smiling as he reached over and stroked the hair back from her face. He trailed his fingers down her face before leaning over and kissing her.

“Come on.” He told her.

Ella nodded and moved off the bed accepting his hand as he led her out of the room and down the stairs. She saw the lounge deserted and sighed again before seeing where Roman was pointing to the back. They walked out the back and saw the babies playing in the garden with Daniella, and she didn’t have to turn her head to know that Roman was smiling. She didn’t know how he could send the babies away when he’d just bonded with them again and she frowned at the thought. Almost as though he read her mind Roman leaned forward and kissed the back of her neck.

“It won’t be for long, I promise.” He said softly moving to wrap his strong arms around her waist as he lent his head on her shoulder.

They stood like that for a while before he led her to a seat and fetched her a drink. He used the time to check on the tablecloth and put it on another wash on a lower temperature pleased to see that the pale pink colour was fading and the cream of the original colour coming back. He would lift it out after this, and place it on the clothesline outside to dry and then hope for the best.

Moving to sit next to Ella he took hold of her hand once more.

“You are acting like I’m going to fall apart.” She muttered giving him a look.

He nodded, agreeing with her.

“I think that I’m a lucky man right now.” He commented after a moment before taking a drink of his coffee.

“And why is that?” Ella asked him, knowing that there was a sarcastic answer coming.

“You haven’t killed me for separating you from our children. Of course, I do have to wonder what Alexi has let himself in for.”

Ella snatched her hand away from him and glared.

“Exactly.” He murmured.

“I hate you.” Ella bit out.

“It’s good to be home.” Jacko called out approaching around the side of the house. Pete moved to stand next to him and the two men grinned at the sight of Ella sitting with Roman. A very much alive Roman.

“Gentlemen.” Roman said slowly knowing; just knowing they had overheard Ella.

“Hardcore.” Pete drawled a grin on his face.

“So what is the plan?” Jacko said sitting almost opposite them and looking straight at Roman. “Do we get a BBQ tonight?”

Ella laughed at the look on Roman’s face, it was a mixture of shock and relief. Shock because he’d thought the conversation was about Alexi and relief that it wasn’t. She sensed that he didn’t want to talk about it but they couldn’t go on living in limbo. Especially as they were sending the children away to boarding school and to stay with Toby after Christmas was over.

“He doesn’t have a plan Jacko.” She commented and knew the other man would pick up that she was talking about Alexi.

“We need to talk.” Jacko said after a while.

“Every time someone says that to me it usually means that we are breaking up.” Roman commented and felt Ella hit him in the ribs. He grunted before looking over at her. “Did I say you…” he began. “Ow woman!” he cried out as she hit him again.

“Talking about other women now?” she asked him.

He looked at her.

“I was… “ he began.

“Unc Jacko.” Lily cried out loudly running up the garden towards them.

“Uncle?” Roman questioned giving Ella a look.

She smiled innocently at him as their daughter ran over to Jacko and climbed up into his lap and kissed him sloppily on his cheek.

“Come plays.” She told him sliding off and grabbing his hand.

Jacko looked at Roman and then Pete before he let himself be led off down the garden.

“So let’s recap.” Roman muttered looking at Ella. “All my single friends are now hooked up with the exception of Jacko, who apparently is Lily’s playmate.”

She smiled at him and placed her hand on his knee.

“Yes dear.” She said to him in a saccharine voice. “Is there a problem?”

Roman shook his head as he looked at her before he found himself smiling and looking at an uncomfortable Jacko playing horsy with his kids.

Archived