Missing Heart

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 20

Ella walked into the house hearing nothing but quiet and frowned. That was usually a sign of trouble. She walked through to the kitchen and put the kettle on.

“Mum.” Meggy called out. “Is that you?”

“In here.” Ella called back.

Meggy ran down the stairs and over to her. She threw her arms around her and buried her face in her waist.

“Missed me then?” Ella grinned at her.

“Did you take lots of photos?” Meggy asked her.

“Lots and lots.” Ella grinned. “Thank you for helping Irene look after the babies.”

Meggy shrugged.

“Sophie did most of the work. Danni is here.” Meggy said looking up at her Mum. “Mike is coming home.”

“Wow.” Ella said softly.

“I know. Danni is so excited we think she’s going to pop the baby out.” Meggy said before she put her hand over her mouth.

“You been teasing her young lady?” Ella asked slowly.

“Just a little.” Meggy grinned. “But she knows we’re just funning.”

“So where are the others?”

“Sammy and Georgie are playing a game, Sophie is over with Angel and the babies are upstairs playing. Daniella is up there too.” Meggy said softly.

Ella grinned before pouring out a coffee.

“Want one?” she asked Meggy.

Meggy gave her a look with big eyes, her mouth dropping open.

“Don’t act innocent I know you drink coffee madam.” Ella said to her.

“I do.” Meggy admitted. “But I don’t want one now thank you.”

Ella smiled at her and kissed the top of her head.

“So what have you been doing?” Ella asked her. “Shall we sit and have some time before the babies realise I’m home?”

Meggy smiled and put her arm around her mum as they walked over to the sofa and sat down. Ella leant forward and put her coffee on the table before she hugged Meggy back.

“Well I got an A for my story.” Meggy began.

“The one about the cat?” Ella asked.

“Yeah, I liked it so much I wrote another one to follow it up and that got an A too. I think Sammy was a bit upset because he wants to be a writer.”

“Maybe.” Ella said. “But there is nothing to say that you both can’t be.” Ella pointed out. “Although I think Sammy will change his mind.” Ella murmured. “You both have a lot of time to sort it out.”

Meggy grinned.

“We start highschool next term after Christmas.” Meggy looked at her. “Sammy too.”

“Yup.” Ella looked at her. “Sammy too.” She confirmed having been in talks with Sammy’s school and the teachers at the highschool and it had been decided that he could start the highschool with Meggy.

“It’ll be like having a twin.” Meggy said slowly.

“Trust me my girl if you were a twin my girl I don’t think I would have had a Sammy.” Ella murmured slowly before taking a drink of her coffee.

Meggy giggled.

“Do you think Sophie and I will have twins?”

“You might do.” Ella said to her. “Think you want kids?”

Meggy nodded.

“Looking after the babies is really cool Mum.”

Ella smiled and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

“As long as you know that they are hard work.” Ella cautioned.

Meggy nodded.

“I want to travel first before anyway. I don’t know. I just want to know what I’m going to do first and it’s …”

“You don’t have to have a plan right now Megs, you is still only little babes.” Ella told her using the line she used to give them when they were babies.

“Oh Mum.” Meggy groaned. “That so doesn’t work now.”

“It was either that or ickle you.”

Meggy giggled.

“Time to go see those babies.” Ella said finishing her coffee. “You have a lot of time to figure stuff out Meggy. I know you want to cook like Sophie or have the army like Georgie but remember that until a few months ago Sophie wanted to be a model or a photographer. If you try a lot of things you might find that you like something you didn’t think you would.”

Meggy tilted her head to one side before she nodded.

“Ok.” she said softly.

Ella stood and held out her hand to her helping her daughter up before they walked over to the stairs. She began walking up them, hearing Lily’s voice already.

“What do you want to do for Christmas this year?” Ella asked her.

“I miss Daddy.” Meggy said suddenly.

Ella felt a pang of guilt go through her and wanted to blurt out where she’d been but she knew that when, or if, the children found out about Roman it would have to be done carefully.

“I know.” Ella said quietly.

“Can we not have a big fuss?”

“We could go away to the studio?” Ella murmured.

“I don’t know.” Meggy murmured. “Do you think we could get Marcus to visit for Christmas?”

“I really don’t know. I’m working on bringing him home.” Ella said.

“Ok.”

“Mama?” Lily called running out of her room. She gave Ella a grin and ran over to her. “Mama home.”

“I am indeed.” Ella said kneeling down and hugging Lily.

“Play mama.” Lily told her dragging her into the bedroom.

Ella smiled and bent down kissing Liam on his head before she looked over at August and Fleur.

“Come on babes.” She called hugging them. “You too Daniella.” She added her granddaughter still shy around her.

Daniella looked at her and gave a small smile before she walked over to her getting a hug and kiss like the others.

“So what are we playing?” Ella asked.

“Shops.” Daniella said softly.

“That is a good game.” Ella said.

August grinned and tugged her hand taking her over to the corner of the room where the toys were.

Ella sat herself down and began playing with them. She caught sight of Irene standing in the doorway watching for a few moments and the two women exchanged a smile before she began playing with the children once more.

The evening moved by quickly, feeding the children and settling them in bed for the night before she climbed into bed herself. She took her laptop into her room with her and plugged it in setting it up before she took a quick shower and changed for bed. She moved over to the bed and climbed in smiling when she saw his screen name come up on the instant chat.

“You knew I’d find this didn’t you.” Roman typed referring to the instant chat messenger that was part of his email programme.

“Maybe.” Ella typed back.

“And the other things.”

“Maybe.” She typed again.

“Kids ok?” he asked.

“Yes.” Ella responded.

“This is too tempting.” He put.

“Not really I won’t be on here every night.”

“Should have spanked you a bit more.” He typed back.

Ella imagined the look on his face and smiled.

“Tired. In bed. Sleep calling. Night husband.”

“Don’t go yet.” Roman typed out. He deleted that and put a simple “Nite.”

“Night xxx.” Ella signed out and chuckled to herself as she logged off and put the laptop to one side.

She yawned and snuggled down under the covers imaging him doing the same.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 21

Mike looked over at the house from the back of the taxi. It looked liked all the other houses in the street and he frowned before speaking.

“Just here mate.” He called out.

The taxi driver pulled over slowly and parked up.

“Here you go.” Mike said handing over some cash.

He climbed out of the back of the cab and hefted his bag over his shoulder before he walked up the pathway to the house. Lifting a hand he knocked on the door and waited for it to open.

“Oh my god.” Michelle exclaimed. “You’re him.”

Mike nodded.

“I guess I am. Is Danni here?” he asked slowly.

“Mich who is it?” Danni called walking into the hallway. She stopped and gasped thinking of her bare feet and her baggy dungarees and her hair pinned up on her head. She knew she had a sheen of sweat on her upper lip from the heat in the kitchen as she was cooking their dinner. All this faded as she placed a hand on her belly before gasping once more.

“I think it’s for you.” Michelle called out opening the door wide.

Mike grinned at Michelle before he stepped past her and dropped his bag to the floor. He strode over to Danni and picked her up in his arms before kissing her.

“I’m home.” He murmured to her. “For good. I’ll never leave you again I promise.” He lowered her back to her feet and looked deeply into her eyes waiting for a response.

Danni gasped and looked at Michelle seeing the other girl nodding and clapping her hands.

“I’m cooking dinner.” Danni said redundantly.

Mike nodded and reached up wiping a trail of flour from her cheek.

“Oh.” She muttered before she pulled back her hand and slapped his arm.

“Oi!” Mike murmured.

“Well it wasn’t supposed to be like this. I was supposed to be wearing a knock out dress and you were supposed to be mad at me and….” She trailed off and looked at him. “I did it deliberately.” She told him.

“I know.” He said softly. “I was so messed up Danni and there is no excuse for me not speaking to you about what I was going through but I didn’t want to burden you with my stuff on top of losing Roman.”

“Much as I’m enjoying this there is smoke coming out of the kitchen.” Michelle pointed out.

“My pie.” Danni gasped. Mike moved past her and into the kitchen. He grabbed a cloth and opened the oven waving away the smoke before he picked out a blackened pie. He turned the oven off and reached over undoing the back door wide.

“I think we should get pizza.” He suggested.

Danni sighed.

“And I made pastry.” She wailed before bursting into tears.

Mike moved to her side and took her in his arms.

“And I bet it was amazing.” He murmured stroking her back.

“Right I’ll go and get pizza. Leave you to talk a bit.” Michelle said slowly.

Mike reached into his pocket and pulled out some notes handing them over to her.

“My treat considering it’s my fault your dinner was ruined.” He murmured.

Michelle grinned and eased out the front door leaving them alone.

“Danni.” Mike said softly.

She looked up and wiped at her eyes.

“Do you want a minute before we talk?”

She nodded and spun around and disappeared up the stairs. Mike watched her go before he tidied the kitchen clearing down the tops. He took a knife and cut off the top layer of the pie managing to rescue most of it before looking through the cupboards and making himself a coffee. He didn’t know what she was drinking right now so settled on getting a glass with some ice and a bottle of water for her. Looking up he saw her walking down the stairs and then over to him. She had changed into a white dress and had put on make up. Her hair had been let loose and had curled with the humidity in the air.

“Beautiful.” He commented.

She walked over to him and put her arms around his neck kissing him.

“I missed you.” She told him.

“I can’t tell you how much I missed you.” He said softly. “I stuffed up Danni.”

“It’s ok. Ella told me.” She whispered feeling sad. “About how close it was between…” she trailed off once more and grinned suddenly looking down. “Someone wants to say hello.” She added in a small voice.

She took hold of his hand and placed it on her belly.

“Feel?” she asked.

Mike nodded his mouth dropping open.

“Wow.” He cried out in shock. “I am so going to be spanking you later.” He muttered.

Danni gave him a slow grin looking at him from under her lashes. She saw his smile and kissed him again.

“Well you said we could try for a baby.” She murmured.

He shook his head and looked at her.

“So you’ve got a nice place here.” He began.

She looked around spotting the glass and bottle of water going over to it and pouring out the water. She took a drink before walking through to the lounge sinking down on to the sofa. She immediately put a cushion behind her back and lifted her feet up curling them around her. Mike watched her before grabbing his coffee and sitting opposite her.

“Yes it is.” She said slowly.

“What do you want to do Danni?” he asked her.

She glared at him.

“What do you want to do?” she asked back.

“This discussion could go round in circles.” He groaned.

“Well you started it.” she muttered defensively before giggling as she realised that it didn’t make sense.

Mike reached under his uniform and took out his dog tags.

Danni frowned as she looked at them before she gave a gasp recognising her engagement ring.

He undid the chain and took the ring off.

“I’ve been carrying this around for six months.” He told her. “It belongs in one place. Danni Harris are you going to marry me?” he asked her again.

“Are you asking me because I’m pregnant?” she muttered her eyes narrowing as she looked at him.

“I carried your ring near my heart from the moment you gave it back to me.” He told her. “I keep asking you to marry me and you keep running away. What is it going to take for you to realise that I am deeply, crazily, amazingly in love with you?”

Danni gasped and looked at him.

“I loved you the moment I met you, which considering I thought you were my sister was ever so slightly messed up. I loved your strength and your courage and your determination. I loved the bravery you showed when you got tested to see if you were a bone marrow match for my mother. The way you are with the kids and how you made Gabby welcome when mot people would have been jealous about someone new taking their place.”

“Mike.” Danni gasped.

“I’ve always been sure of my love for you Donatella Harris. But I need to know from you that you love me because it’s driving me crazy the way you keep pushing me away.” He finished.

“I asked you for a ride to school on your bike and you treated me like a pest.” Danni whispered. “I made a vow to myself then that you were never going to hurt me.”

“Danni.” Mike gasped. “That was years ago. I had to keep some distance between us and treat you like my sister.”

“I know but it made me feel horrible.” She murmured looking up at him. “I never wanted to feel like that again.”

“So you keep dumping me before I dump you?” he asked.

“Something like that.” She muttered feeling foolish.

Mike took hold of her hand and pulled it towards him putting her ring on her finger.

“I’m go to weld this on,” he threatened.

Danni gave a nervous little laugh before she leaned forward and kissed him.

“I do.” She told him.

“Practising?” he asked mockingly.

She slapped at his arm again.

“Love you. I do love you. I’ve always loved you. Ella knew.”

Mike nodded.

“That is part of the reason she didn’t believe you were her daughter and she kept you around.” he told her. “She knew that you were the love of my life the moment she saw us together. She was not going to let you go after that.”

Danni shook her head as tears gathered in her eyes.

“Great so she only…” she began.

Mike moved to sit next to her. He put one arm around her and placed a finger under her chin lifting her face so he could look into her eyes.

“She loved you as a daughter and kept you safe.” He murmured. “Because she hoped one day that we would figure out this stuff and get together. Because she knew I would do my best to make you happy for the rest of our lives and she thought you deserved that.”

Danni looked at him and burst into tears.

“Should I stop with the mushy stuff until after you give birth?” he murmured.

“It might be best.” Michelle murmured from the hallway.

“shuddup.” Danni muttered. “She’s marrying Brett.” She told Mike.

“Ha!” Michelle gasped walking through to the lounge with three pizza boxes. She placed them on the table and gave Danni a look. “One date thank you very much.”

“She met Mum?” Mike asked Danni and saw her nod. “Welcome to the family.” He added grinning at the look that crossed Michelle’s face.

“Just for that I won’t give you your change.” She murmured. “Everything sorted?”

Danni nodded and held us her hand showing off her ring.

“Wow.” Michelle gasped out. “Matches your eyes.”

Danni nodded once more.

“Does this mean I’m going to be bridesmaid?” Michelle asked.

“Yeah if you can arm wrestle Sophie.” Mike said gasping when Danni hit him again. “Watch it.” he muttered.

“Well stop saying stupid things that make me want to hit you.” She said frowning when he smiled at her.

“Let’s eat.” Michelle said after a moment feeling strangely left out. She opened up the top box and handed that to Danni before finding hers. She gave the third box to Mike and they began eating.

Chapter 22

Roman looked over at the small screen hoping that Ella would come online. It went against everything he’d said to her the night she’d left roaring away on a motorbike and he frowned at himself.

It wasn’t that he hoped she would find another excuse to come and see him because that would be really selfish of him but just in case he’d splurged on a new mattress for the bed along with curtains and nets at the newly painted and repaired windows. It hadn’t gone unnoticed that she’d bought a couple of cushions and a throw for the old sofa. He’d moved the furniture \around so that the sofa faced the wood burning stove that now had a rug in front of it. On a whim he’d found a landscape picture in an antique shop. It was black and white but you could see amazing contrast in the clouds over the top of a windswept sea. He found himself looking at it more than he looked at the tv sometimes finding a strange poetry about the image.

He wanted Ella to see what he’d done with the place and maybe feel a little bit at home there. Not that he’d consciously thought that.

Grimacing he moved into the kitchen and began cooking. He’d told Betsy that he would make something special to apologise for the two weeks he’d taken off with no notice and had come up with the idea for a chutney that could be served up with the burgers. He peeled the onions and chopped them before adding them to the large pan on the stove. As they began to fry he looked at the small screen on the phone seeing that Ella had come online. Wiping his hands he moved over to the phone and began typing.

“Hello you.” He put.

“Hi.” Ella typed back.

“u ok?” he typed before heading back over to the stove. He stirred his onions and began to assemble the other ingredients together. Adding the spices to the pan.

“I’m good.” Ella typed.

He looked at the screen and sighed.

“What’s up?” he put and sent then muttered something under his breath.

“Ill. Kids ill. Mike’s home. Tired.” Ella told him.

“El.” He typed. “What’s up with the kids?” he asked before he could stop himself. It was hard for him to know the boundaries here. He didn’t want to upset her but he couldn’t help wanting to be able to do something for her even if it was just to be on the other end of the email or in this case instant messenger.

“Oh just colds and stuff.” She put. “What are you up to?”

“Cooking.” He murmured aloud as he typed. “Making chutney in an attempt to apologise to my boss for taking two weeks off.”

“2 weeks?” Ella asked.

“I may have finished the windows and got curtains.” He put smiling.

“Show me.” She typed.

“show?” he asked.

“has camera.”

“You going to turn yours on?” he typed back. “and maybe slip into a silky nightdress.”

Ella read the last message and giggled.

“No chance Mister.”

“Spoilsport.” He grinned imagining her face before a picture opened up on the screen and he saw her. He groaned and almost dropped the phone.

“Sorry what did you say?” Ella typed out.

“What are you wearing?” he put quickly before turning and switching off the stove. He walked over to the sofa and sat down before looking at the settings of the phone. It took a couple of minutes before he managed to switch on the camera.

“There.” he said triumphantly.

“Get rid of that beard.” Ella typed out immediately.

Roman laughed.

“What’s wrong with it?” he asked.

“You aren’t kissing me with that thing.”

He raised an eyebrow as he looked at her.

“I thought we agreed that you weren’t coming here again.” He typed out and sent.

The screen went blank and he read the message that she was offline and cursed. He wanted to claw back that message because it had upset her and god knows, he didn’t want to upset her anymore. He frowned and put the phone to one side moving back into the kitchen and cooking. Hoping that the familiar action would soothe him enough so he stopped brooding about Ella and what a mess everything was.

Ella put the laptop to one side as Lily pushed open the door.

“Mama poorly.” Lily told her.

“Are you babes?” she asked.

Lily nodded and moved over to the bed climbing up into it. She snuggled up next to Ella and sighed.

“Cuddles.” She demanded reaching for her mother’s hand trying to put her arm around her.

Ella giggled and leaned down in the bed. She placed her arm around her daughter and sighed snuggling up next to her.

“Think you need a day off tomorrow?” Ella asked her softly.

Lily nodded.

“Me and babies.” She told her.

“Liam too?”

“Liam too.” Lily murmured.

“Well we’ll see in the morning.” Ella said softly.

She waited until Lily was asleep and gently snoring before she opened up the laptop again.

Roman turned off the pan and put the lid on securely before he glanced over at the phone. He gave a little gasp when he saw the picture on the small screen and ran over to it almost dropping in his haste to pick it up and look at the small screen. He double clicked on the picture and groaned as he saw Lily fast asleep in Ella’s arms.

Ella smiled at him and lifted her finger to her lips in a shush gesture and he nodded stupidly before tears began to seep down his face. She gave him a smile before blowing him a kiss and reaching to close the laptop.

“Please don’t.” he begged her.

“Just a few minutes then.” She mouthed to him knowing that he would read her lips.

He nodded his fingers going out and touching the screen as if he could touch his sleeping daughter’s face.

“she is so beautiful.” He typed. “Looks like you.”

Ella smiled at him before she mouthed.

“Takes after you she’s stubborn.”

Roman chuckled wiping at the tears on his face.

“I want to come home Ella. I want to be with you and my children I love you so much and I miss you. This is so hard for me.” He sent to her.

Ella read the screen and nodded.

“We could come to you.” She told him.

He shook his head.

“not fair.” He typed. “give up too much.”

Ella sighed before she looked down the camera.

“Then sort it out so you can come home to us.” She mouthed again before she reached out and ended the conversation. He groaned at the screen going blank before he sighed and took the phone through to the bedroom. He called up one of the links she had posted for him and began looking at the documents she had put on there. Court transcripts of the trial. Newspaper reports. A scan of his diary pages. He began reading the newspaper releases before cursing and sending an email to Pete about getting him a laptop and a printer. As an afterthought he added a request for any information they had on Alexi Zoran Petrovic.

Pete eased into bed just as he heard his phone beep. He looked at it and saw that he had a new email. Opening it up he read the request from Roman and chuckled before placing the phone to one side and easing down.

“What is it?” Charlie mumbled beside him.

“Nothing important.” Pete grinned at his girlfriend before leaning over and kissing her.

“No we aren’t using the handcuffs again.” She muttered rolling over presenting her back to him.

He pulled her back into his arms and turned off the light.

“So tell me who is Ella going to set Jacko up with because I don’t think him and Leah is going to happen.” Charlie mumbled sleepily.

“Constable are you trying to interrogate me?” Pete asked softly. “You’d have to ask Ella.”

Charlie sighed.

“I would but I think she blames me for Roman’s death. If I’d done my job better we could have caught William Gardener.”

Pete sighed wanting to tell her thinking of the amount of people in the Bay that were suffering because of what happened. He leaned forward and kissed her shoulder.

“We couldn’t track him using our methods so you can’t blame yourself Charlie.” He said instead. “But I do. Ella looked so lost at the funeral. I just feel that I should have done something more.” She said before finally slipping asleep.

Pete sighed and snuggled closer thinking that Hardcore may need to enter Witness Protection to protect him from the people he left behind in the Bay. He knew that even though Ella had gone to him she was far from getting past her feelings of anger about Roman essentially leaving her.

Chapter 23

Ella eased out of the bed and walked over to the en suite. She grabbed a quick shower and moved over to her dresser first gathering underwear before going to her wardrobe grabbing jeans and a top, getting dressed quickly before she went downstairs leaving Lily asleep in her bed. She saw Irene in the kitchen and grinned at the other woman.

“Morning Darl.” Irene grinned back at her. “What put you in a good mood?”

“Well it wasn’t Lily crawling into my bed again.”

Irene laughed.

“She is a one.”

“More than that.” Ella told her. “She is under the impression that she should stay home with the babies today.”

“Ah.” Irene chuckled. “And are you keeping them off?”

Ella nodded.

“It’s Thursday so I may as well send them back on Monday.” Ella said. “They will be over the worst of it by then.”

“So that include the big kids?”

“Think you can put up with them?” Ella murmured.

Irene smiled.

“Any coffee going?” Mike asked walking in through the back door.

Ella squealed and ran over to him, hearing Irene laugh as Mike picked her up and swung her round before lowering her to her feet.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were coming? I thought you were still in the city.” Ella gasped.

“Because it’s fun watching you squeal.” Mike grinned at her.

“I love you.” Ella gasped out and hugged him again.

“Love you too Ma.” Mike said slowly. “Thanks for well everything.”

Ella nodded wiping tears from her eyes before she grabbed his hand and dragged him up the stairs and into her bedroom. She leant down and shook Lily awake seeing her blink sleepily before she focused and saw Mike. She grinned and jumped up in the bed before launching herself over at him.

“Mikey Mikey Mikey.” Lily sang out. “Yous home.”

“Alright Lily girls.” Mike said leaning down and picking his sister up. He blinked back tears as Lily placed a soppy kiss on his cheek.

“I knews yous be home. Danni has a baby in her tummy.” Lily told him.

Mike laughed and looked over at Ella seeing his mum crying. He reached for her and put his arm around her holding the pair of them together.

“Its ok I’m staying here. I’m never leaving you again.” He promised them.

“Mikey.” Lily cried. “See babies.”

Ella eased back and looked at him.

“Go on then.” She told her daughter.

Lily pointed the way to the nursery and Mike carried her through to the other room.

“August.” She told him pointing. “Fleur.”

“How do you know which one is which?” Mike asked her.

Lily shrugged, lifting her shoulders expressively.

“Now sees Liam.” She told him pointing to her room.

Mike mock groaned before heading over to their room and lowering Lily to the floor near her brothers bed. Lily went up to Liam and patted him on his shoulder.

“Break ast.” She lisped. “Mikey’s home.”

Liam pushed the covers down and grinned.

“Mikey.” He cried out jumping out of bed and rushing over to him.

Mike knelt down and hugged his brother before he caught sight of Sammy in the hallway. He grinned and held his arms open as Sammy ran over to him for a hug.

“How long are you back for?” Sammy asked a noted of reservation in his voice.

“I’m not going away again.” He promised his brother.

“Really?” Sammy asked.

Mike nodded.

“Really.” He murmured before hugging him again. “Now are we going to go get some breakfast?” he asked.

Sammy grinned and led the way down the stairs. He saw his Mum in the kitchen and went over to her.

“Ok?” she asked him.

“I think I’m coming down with a cold.” He murmured. “Can I have some water?”

“Really Sammy? I’m cooking breakfast.” Ella asked him.

“Well.” He muttered.

She took pity on him and kissed the top of his head.

“Keeping you all off school.” She told him,

“Cool.” He called out and ran over to Mike. “Come see this game.” He instructed taking Mike to the tv and showing him the latest game he had.

Ella poured out coffee and took the cup to Mike before she went over to Lily and Liam.

“Did you wake the babies?” she asked Lily lifting her up on the sofa and putting the throw over her. She lifted Liam next smiling at her son.

“No mama.” Lily said softly.

“Ok.” Ella grinned. “Juice?” she asked them.

Lily nodded.

“Milk please ta.” Liam said to her.

Ella nodded and eased up going over to the kitchen. She took the juice out of the fridge and poured out some for Lily and Sammy before placing it on the table. She took the two beakers over to coffee table before fetching some milk for Liam. She took it through to him and smiled at them.

“Mama poorlys.” Lily said slowly.

“I suppose you want the day off?” Ella asked.

“Please.” Lily murmured.

Ella caught Mike looking at her and she grinned at him.

“Go on then.” She told Lily.

Lily smiled at her and sipped her juice noisily.

“Anyone told the others?” Ella asked looking at Mike and Sammy.

“I tells them Mama.” Lily said sprinting off the sofa. She ran out of the room and disappeared up the stairs coming back a few minutes later pulling on Sophie’s hand.

“Sees I tell you.” Lily grinned at her sister.

“Mike.” Sophie cried forgetting she was planning to play it cool. She ran over to him and hugged him tight. “Missed you so much. Is Danni here? Are you back together?” she asked quickly.

Mike shook his head grinning at her.

“Danni is in the city.” He told her. “But yes we are back together and getting married.”

Sophie squealed and jumped into his arms.

“Everything is getting back to normal.” She cried out happily.

“Go tell Gabby.” Ella instructed. “and put something on your feet.”

Sophie rolled her eyes before she ran over to the utility room and got out a pair of sandals. She slipped them on before running out the back.

“Hey.” Meggy called out croakily from the hallway.

“Hey pest.” Mike said beginning to move over to her.

“Don’t come near you’ll catch it.” Meggy warned in a throaty whisper.

Mike chuckled before he walked over to her and picked her up. He hugged her close.

“I don’t care about a few germs squirt.” He murmured.

“Ok but don’t blame me when you can’t talk.” Meggy said smiling happily.

Mike moved her over to the other sofa and grabbed the second throw placing that around her and tucking it in.

“Juice?” he asked her.

She shook her head.

“Here.” Ella said handing over a glass of iced water. She knelt down and opened up her medicine bottle pouring out a spoonful.

“yuk.” Meggy said looking at her.

“Drink it down Missy.” Ella said before she put the spook in between her lips.

Meggy took the medicine before sipping at the water.

“Ok?” Ella asked her.

Meggy nodded.

“Ok then.” She said softly and kissed her forehead before she stood up. She took the medicine back into the kitchen and put it away before hearing the twins waking up. Heading up the stairs and into the nursery she helped them out of their cots and took them downstairs with her.

“Here you are.” She heard Gabby saying and walked into the lounge just in time to see Gabby handing over Daniella to Mike.

“And what do I do with it?” Mike asked glaring at his sister.

“Anything you like as long as I can get a shower in peace.” Gabby murmured to him grinning at the look on his face. She disappeared out of the back and headed back to her house.

“Here you go.” Ella said softly leading August and Fleur into the room. She chuckled when Mike glared at them.

“My god how do you tell them apart?” he murmured.

“It’s a secret.” Ella told him. “Want to play with your toys?” she asked softly leading them over to their toys. She sat with them and took out some toys before looking up and seeing Mike bringing over Daniella, the little girl squirming in his hold.

“Guess you want to play too huh?” Ella said to her.

Daniella giggled and sat down.

“God Ma how do you do it?” Mike murmured to her.

“One kid at a time.” she said back to him.

He gave her a smile and reached out helping her up.

“Breakfast is done.” Irene called out putting it out on the table.

“Cool.” Georgie muttered sleepily coming into the room and heading over to the table. “Back then?” he asked Mike.

“Yeah.” Mike said quietly.

Georgie nodded before he turned and rushed over to Mike hugging him.

“Good to see you too.” Mike said softly.

“Yeah well…” Georgie murmured.

Mike eased out of the hug and patted Georgie on his back in a manly fashion the two of them chuckling before they all got seated around the table and began eating breakfast. Sophie helped Lily and Liam before sitting down herself. Meggy sat on her mother’s lap once Ella had seen to August and Fleur. Sammy and Georgie vying for the seat nearest Mike. Irene saw to all the food before she grabbed a cuppa and eased down into a seat. Each of them began talking about what they wanted to do that day. Gabby eased back in and kissed the top of Daniella’s head before she sat at the table. She looked over at Ella and grinned.

Chapter 24

Ella eased the motorbike to a stop before turning the engine off. She wheeled down the rest of the slope towards Roman’s shack and manoeuvred the kick stand so that she park it and slipped off her gloves flexing her fingers before reaching for the strap of the helmet. She shook her hair loose and grinned imagining his face. Looking around she saw the silver sea casting gentle ripples on to the silver sand. The moon adding light and shade. She wanted to photograph it because it looked so ethereal but she didn’t have her camera. Sitting down quietly she removed her boots and socks before easing out of her jeans. Next she took off the jacket and left them in a pile on the front veranda before easing the door open and tiptoeing inside. She walked over to his bedroom noting the furniture had been moved before easing open the door and walking over to the bed. Lifting the covers she climbing in beside him.

“And what are you doing here?” he growled out.

“I thought I left something here so I came to get it.” she murmured.

Roman opened his eyes and looked at her a smile on his face before he rolled them over and kissed her. He switched on the bedside light and looked at her.

“Hey.” He said softly.

“That beard is awful.” She told him.

“Tough.” He grinned at her. “I can’t take the two weeks off to grow it again.”

Ella reached up and stroked his face.

“Surely they won’t recognise you? I mean you are super skinny and that hair.”

Roman shrugged.

“I hope they wouldn’t.” he said instead of what he was thinking.

Ella nodded.

“Well you have me for one day.” She said. “I have your laptop and printer as requested. Pete is doing some discreet digging and will be in touch next week sometime.”

Roman nodded.

“So you can put the gun away can’t you.” Ella added smiling at him.

He gave a groan before reaching under the spare pillow and removing the small pistol clicking the safety on and putting it in his bedside cabinet.

“How did you know?” he asked.

“No way anybody would sneak up on you.” She told him. “You must have recognised it was me?”

He nodded.

“Was it my perfume or…”

Roman smiled at her.

“I’m used to you moving around.” he said slowly. “I just know when you are there.”

“Uh huh. Keep talking.”

Roman smiled at her before he reached down and lifted up her top. He ran his fingers in a circular pattern around her belly before leaning down and kissing her there.

“I know your footsteps.” He told her. “The way you walk changes depending on your mood. I can smell you in the air I breath. Strawberry and rose and vanilla and you. I hear you breath knowing that breathy little sound you make when you see me and you want me. I know you are there without any of these signs because I feel you inside me. It’s what made me believe you were never gone. It’s what calls me to you. It’s what sent you my dreams.” He pushed up her top kissing his way to her heart. “It’s your soul calling mine and my soul needing to be entwined with yours.”

Ella gasped and looked into his sudden fiery blue eyes and gave a slow smile before she felt him pushing away their underwear and clothes leaving them naked. She pulled him to her smiling as he smiled before they kissed hands and bodes entwined. And in that strange moment just before pleasure rode them away they were one in all they did, one breath, one heartbeat.

Roman collapsed onto her before rolling to one side. He wanted to talk to say something but no words could get past his lips. He half turned his head and looked at her profile seeing a serene look on her face.

“El.” He said finally.

“Shush.” She said softly. “I want the silence.”

Roman nodded his eyes looking into her hers and he listened.

“We’ve been here before.” She said softly. “Can you hear their voices?”

“Sometimes.” He told her.

“Just now when its so so perfect between us I can feel them, all the people we were before, making love just like we are and its…”

“Magical.” He told her.

She nodded.

“Transcendental.” She murmured seeing his lips twitch as he smiled at the word.

“Think we were star crossed lovers in another life?” he asked her.

Ella moved into his embrace.

“I don’t know.” She admitted. “I’ve always been open to the possibility of things outside our knowing as a human species, like God and strange phenomena but I still feel kind of nerdy when I use terms like soul mates.”

“That’s what we are though.” He said feeling himself almost protesting.

She smiled.

“I know, just like when I pick up a vibe and stuff but it feels weird trying to explain it to others.” She said softly.

He smiled.

“I get that.” He murmured tiredly. “I don’t mind people knowing you are a witch but me? I’ve got to be rational. Asses the situation.”

“Come up with the best tactical solution.” She said quickly.

Roman nodded.

“Yeah, how do I explain that my wife has spooky spider senses and knows when we are in danger.” He pointed out sounding serious before looking down at her. “Er Spiderman has…” he tried to explain. “I should shut up now shouldn’t I?”

“Did you get that from my spooky spider senses?” Ella asked.

“No that was from….” He stopped and leaned down kissing her on the lips. “ Being Soulmates.” He said softly his voice full of passion and wonder.

“Make love to me again.” Ella begged.

Roman sighed and looked at her. He glanced at his alarm clock before grinning as he felt her hand connect with his ribs.

“Love you.” He told her a smile on his face. “My wife. My lover. My soul mate.” He murmured as he began stroking her body.

He soon forgot that he had only had a few hours sleep and the alarm would go off. Or that he’d promised not to be late to work in the morning. He focused on Ella being in his arms, in his bed and how making love to her was the most important thing in the world.

Chapter 25

“Hey you.” Ella called moving to sit next to him on the steps of the veranda. She reached over and took the coffee cup from his grip taking a drink from it before handing him the cup back.

“Hey.” He said softly glancing at her. “I have to go to work.”

“I know.” She said back leaning up and kissing his cheek.

“Still be here at one?” he said in the same tone of voice.

Ella nodded and smiled at him.

“I’ll have to set off around 6.”

“Really?” he asked sounding happier.

She grinned at him and leaned over kissing him softly on the lips.

“Really.” She confirmed. “I’m meeting Danni and Mike in the city for dinner.”

“Where do they think you are Ella?” he asked her.

“You are starting to sound grumpy.” She pointed out. “The motorbike is registered to Joe. It’s kept in a lock up the other side of the city. My phone is an unregistered pay as you go with my other phone forwarded to it so the kids can contact me if necessary. I’m taking every precaution.”

He nodded at her words before standing up and moving away.

“Roman.” She called.

He looked at her sitting there on his veranda with the sun showering her with golden highlights wearing one of his t shirts, looking beautiful and happy. Then he remembered the scene of the bullet skimming past him and taking her backwards off her feet in front of him before the bullets hit him and knew then that she wasn’t to come back here again. It was just too dangerous. He’d take today and then move away so she couldn’t find him. He moved into the kitchen and pour out a coffee taking that out to her and sitting behind her, his legs spread so that she was between them. He put an arm around her waist and pulled her back against him as he placed the coffee cup in her hands.

“I’ll take you until 6pm.” He murmured. “And then you go back.”

Ella sighed.

“Pushing me away again?” she asked.

“Not much point me being here if I keep putting you at risk to come to me.” He said slowly. “I love you and it hasn’t escaped my notice that you haven’t said those words back to me.”

Ella sighed and looked down into the cup taking a long drink before she put it to one side.

“I don’t’ forgive you.” She murmured. “You’ve missed August and Fleur discovering each other and leaning how to be twins. Their first steps and first words. You’ve missed out on Lily and Liam going to nursery full time. Lily will be at school next term. Sophie learning to cook. She’s working at the Shack on weekends. Georgie has been accepted to play footie. Meggy is going to highschool next term and they want Sammy to go there too, a year early. DOCs won’t let us have Marcus back. Mike fell apart and got recalled. He went and left a pregnant Danni behind. Gabby and Jacob have split up.” she paused taking a deep breath. “And I spent a year keeping everything together feeling like crap because I wasn’t doing such a good job at it.”

Roman groaned and tried to pull away.

“So even if I did love you it wouldn’t be enough to get over that immediately.” She added finally.

“You’ve just confirmed that I can never come home to them, to you. How are you ever going to forgive me?” he said with a groan.

“With time, love and patience.” Ella answered his question. “I’ve seen the newspaper reports on that man. I don’t have any doubt that he would kill every one of us to get to you. He’s done it before.”

“But?” he asked.

“But we should have made that decision together.” Ella said softly.

Roman swore before he stood up and moved through the shack, he grabbed his things and made his way back out to his car.

“Later.” He said looking at her.

Ella nodded and stood up. She reached for the hem of the t shirt and raised it up over her head.

“I’ll be here.” She murmured smiling as she watched the play of emotions on his face as he looked over her naked body. She gave him another smile as she turned and walked into the shack.

“Witch.” Roman muttered under his breath as he climbed into his car and slowly started it up. He drove away towards town thinking of coming home to Ella. It had been a long time since he had thoughts like that.

Ella grinned and pulled his t shirt back on before she moved to the veranda and collected her clothes form last night. She hung the jacket up and put her helmet to one side before heading back out and over to the motorbike. Using the keys she took out of her jeans she unlocked and opened up the black case on the back and took out her bag moving once more inside. Opening the bag she drew out the laptop and sat on the sofa placing it on the table in front of her. She fixed the devise to it that connected it to the internet and checked the settings. She took the printer out next and connected that, printing off a test sheet before putting them to one side.

Her attention was drawn to the shack and she looked at the windows smiling as she saw the fresh paint and the full curtains in blue that hung from silver curtain poles. She stood and walked over to the bedroom and to the bed. Tugging up the bottom sheet she looked at the mattress and grinned at seeing the new mattress. So he didn’t want her to come back then, she thought to herself. She remade the bed, straightening the covers before heading to the shower.

Roman parked the car and walked inside the back door of the grill. He saw that the tables were already set out and he grinned as Betsy gave him a look.

“Yeah I’m late.” He murmured.

“Ten whole minutes.” Betsy told him. “Still it’s nice to see a smile on your face these days. Who is she?”

Roman groaned.

“No one.” He said quickly.

He moved through to the kitchen and washed his hands before putting on his apron and beginning to clean down the tops. Moving around he began preparing the food to be cooked later.

“Listen I need a favour. Can you work an extra shift today?” she asked.

Roman groaned before he turned to her.

“Please tell me you are joking?” he muttered. “Not today.”

“So you are seeing someone?” she said to him.

“It’s complicated.” He said to her.

“Is it the woman you were mooning over a while ago?” she asked him.

Roman sighed.

“In a manner of speaking. She’s my er…” he stopped realising he was about to refer to her as his wife.

“Your ex?” she asked.

Roman nodded.

“And she’s here?” Betsy murmured a light in her eyes.

He groaned and nodded again.

“Then you get the day off.” Betsy said. “Go on get out of here before I change my mind.”

He looked over at her before smiling broadly.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

She nodded.

He leaned down and pressed a kiss to her cheek before pulling off his apron and heading back out and climbing into his car. It chose that moment to play up but after swearing at it he managed to get the car started and he headed home thinking of Ella, of her standing on his veranda naked and promising to be there when he got home. He wasn’t surprised to find that he was speeding. He eased off the accelerator and slowed his speed.

Ella moved out of the bathroom and reached into her bag for clean clothes just as the door opened.

“Glad you’re still naked.” He told her.

She looked down at the towel she had just discarded.

“And what happened to work?” she asked him standing up straight and looking at him.

His eyes ran over her body and he reached for the hem of his t shirt pulling it over his head.

“I got a day off.” He said softly kicking his shoes off.

Ella smiled slowly putting her hands on her hips.

“So what are you planning to do with this day off?” she asked her eyes meeting his.

“I can think of a few things.” He said undoing his shorts and letting them fall down his legs. He kicked them off before tucking his thumbs in his boxers and pushing them down next knowing Ella’s gaze would be watching him. He looked over at her before walking towards her.

“What kind of things?” she asked him.

He reached down and picked her up walking with her into the bedroom and laying her on the bed.

“I’m sure you are going to find out very soon.” He told her.

Ella giggled and reached up putting her arms around his neck.

“Kiss me you idiot.” She said to him.

Roman laughed before lowering his lips to hers and kissed her.

Laura 158 - Wow what a comment. I'm so humbled when people take the time to add a comment like this. - Tele xx

Chapter 26

Roman smiled over at Ella. They were in the next town over and he smiled because she was in front of a small antique store. He found her hand stroking down his back.

“Ok what do you want to buy?” he asked her.

She looked up at him.

“Nothing.” She said before biting her lip.

Roman laughed and reached for her hand opening the shop door and leading her inside.

“Ok maybe I was looking at that tea set.” She admitted.

“The one with the daisys?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

Roman looked around before he leant down and whispered in her ear.

“Difficult to take home on your motorbike.” He pointed out.

Ella froze her hand touching the shelf in front of her before she smiled slowly and picked up a small ornament looking over it.

“Maybe.” She commented keeping her voice even.

Roman moved over the other side of the shop looking at the books. Ella watched him knowing he would be looking for books on cookery. She waited a moment before moving into the next room away from him needing time to compose herself. She was looking at a set of cranberry glassware when Roman caught up with her.

“Hey you.” He called softly.

“Hey.”

“Did you ask about the tea set?” he murmured.

“You’re right I can’t take it back with me.” She told him proud that her voice sounded normal.

Roman looked at her for a moment before he nodded.

“We should go back.” Ella said quietly. “Get something to eat before I set off.”

She moved towards the door of the shop not looking to see if he was following. She paused glancing at the tea set again before opening the door and walking outside. She immediately slipped on broad sunglasses that covered her eyes. Roman caught up with her and grinned happily taking hold of her hand once more.

“Are you hungry?” he murmured. “I don’t have a lot of food in so I was thinking of getting something.”

“You mean regular shopping?” she asked smiling at him.

He paused before answering.

“Just nipping in the supermarket.” He said slowly.

“Go on then. I’ll wait in the car.” She announced making it easy on him. She could see the relief on his face and half turned so he wouldn’t see how hurt she was.

Roman walked with her back to his car seeing her seat in the passenger seat before he set off to the supermarket that was on the edge of town. He parked in the shade under two tall trees and turned looking at her.

“Anything you want?” he asked.

“Not really.” Ella said before she looked at him from behind the safety of the sunglasses.

He nodded and climbed out of the car moving over to the doors of the supermarket. Ella watched him before she felt the first tear on her face. She scrubbed at it and blinked trying to stop herself crying. It was no good fooling herself that she could have a life with her husband when he was so determined to push her away. When she looked at that small pretty tea set it hadn’t crossed her mind about taking it home. It had been for his shack, making it more homely. Some stupid idea about making the place more comfortable. And despite all the work they had already done on the place he continued to push her away.

She sighed and looked up seeing Roman walking back towards her and pinned a smile on her face.

He looked over at his car and smiled seeing her sitting there. Walking up to her he dismissed common sense and moved to kneel beside her door pressing a kiss to her lips.

“I have something nice planned for you.” He told her.

“Not chocolate moose because I’m exhausted.” She said grinning inanely at him.

Roman felt his cheeks warming as he blushed thinking of all the times she had brought the desert into the bedroom.

“Unfortunately no.” he whispered slowly. “But I did get strawberries and cream.”

He leaned forward and kissed her again before walking around the car placing the two bags of shopping in the back seat before getting in the front. The car stuttered as he started it and he grinned as he felt her eyes on him.

“It’s a good car.” He said defensively.

“Did I say anything?” Ella shot back.

Roman frowned hearing a note in her voice.

“Well no.” he admitted still feeling puzzled. “But…”

Ella looked at him before she turned and focused on the view out of her window. She saw the slope of the hills leading down to the beach and the turquoise sea beyond it.

“I love the view too.” He told her glancing at her before looking at the road once more.

“It looks very much…

“Like Summer Bay.” He finished for her. “I know.”

Ella sighed.

“Want to tell me what the matter is?” he asked her. “I know something is bothering you.”

“I’m fine.” She told him turning and looking at his profile.

He indicated and pulled into the long stretch of road that took him to his shack. He looked ahead wondering if he should say something. It felt as though there was an atmosphere between them and he couldn’t put his finger on when it crept in.

“So where are you going for dinner?” he asked instead of pursuing the topic.

“I’m not sure. Mike has organised it.” Ella commented. “He and Danni need to talk to me about something. I’ve got the impression I’m not going to like it.”

“Maybe they want to discuss the wedding.” He said slowly.

Ella shook her head.

“I doubt it. Anyway I’ll find out tonight.”

Roman immediately felt cut out of their lives and it didn’t help that the only one he could blame for that was himself. He eased the car to a stop and parked up turning to her as he switched off the engine.

“Well we’ve got some time before you have to go so why don’t you get changed into a swimsuit and go for a swim while I do our lunch.” He suggested with a smile on his face.

Ella looked at him and nodded.

“I think I can do that.” She decided.

He leaned over and pulled off her sunglasses before he leaned forward and kissed her.

“I’ll go and work some magic in the kitchen.” he said softly.

Ella nodded and took the sunglasses out of his hand before she turned and got out of the car. Roman paused for a moment before he got out the other side. He grabbed the two sacks of groceries and walked ahead of her inside the shack and over to the kitchen. He saw Ella walk past him and into the bathroom feeling that tension between them again and debating within himself whether to say something. Moving around the kitchen he made the sandwiches with the ripe buffalo tomatoes and the fresh lettuce adding mozzarella. He cut the French bread into sections before making the next sandwich with roasted peppers from the deli counter and spicy cheese spread. He also bought cherry tomatoes and olives and opened up a cupboard searching for a dish to put them in.

“I’ll be outside.” Ella called moving through the shack.

“Ok.” Roman called back not noticing her slipping out of the door.

Putting the picnic on a plate disappeared into the bedroom and grabbed his swimmers changing into them before getting a couple of towels out of the bathroom. He collected the throw off the sofa and walked out on to the veranda stopping when he saw Ella.

“What’s going on?” he asked stupidly looking at her dressed in her jeans and jacket.

“I’m going home.” She announced. “This is a mistake.”

“Ella no.” he gasped out.

She shook her head feeling tears start again before her eyes met his.

“You can’t expect me to stay with you when you keep pushing me away.” She said sounding bitter. “And as much as you pretend you don’t want me here anyway.”

“Please don’t go.” He begged her. “Please.”

She shook her head.

“I can’t stay.”

“Ella no.” he cried out dropping the things he was carrying and stepping forward placing his hands on her arms. “I’m begging you Ella please don’t leave me. Not like this. “

She shook her head and pulled away.

“El, do you think this is easy for me? I’m so torn between protecting you and needing you. I keep thinking that I can’t do this, I can’t put you in danger but you turn up and it’s like the sun coming back in my life lighting up everything again.”

Ella stepped back and shook her head again.

“Don’t Roman. It’s over between us. I know the kids will never forgive you. We’ll never have a normal live.” She looked away and sucked in a deep breath. “And I need to feel wanted. I need to have a man in my life that makes me feel special not like my presence contaminates them.”

She stepped away and reached for her helmet pulling it on and doing up the strap. He watched her go as she got on her motorbike and started it up. She pulled away from him and left. He watched her as she rode all the way up the hill knowing she would be out of sight but he still stood there. Turning he walked into the shack and saw the food he’d prepared just a few moments before and he roared out his anger before tipping it all in the bin. Then he grabbed the cushions she’d bought and threw them outside, before ripping down the curtains. Next he grabbed that picture he’d put up just a while ago and picked that off the wall throwing that next feeling a strange satisfaction when he heard the glass smashing. Striding over to the bed he pulled off the sheets and sank down on the floor his anger leaving him as the scent of strawberries drifted around the room. He cried out burying his face in the soft cotton inhaling the scent of her perfume before tears fell from his eyes. The grief he’d felt on leaving her over a year ago was nothing to what he felt now and there was nothing he could do about it.

Chapter 27

Ella walked into the restaurant and looked over spotting Mike and Danni seated at the bar. She pinned a smile on her face and walked over to them.

“Hello.” She called kissing Danni on her cheek before doing the same with Mike.

“You ok Ma you look a bit pale?” Mike asked quickly.

Ella nodded wondering if her afternoon of sobbing her heart out showed. She smiled quickly and then forced her facial muscles to relax so that the smile looked more natural.

“I’m fine.” She said softly.

Mike nodded feeling Danni looking at him.

“So do you want a drink?” Danni asked her.

“Just a mineral water.” Ella said to them.

Mike turned and after getting the barman’s attention ordered fresh drinks. He asked for them to be delivered to their table and stood helping Danni to her feet before directing them through the restaurant and over to their table. He pulled out Danni’s chair watching with a smile as she eased down into it before helping his mum and then sitting himself.

“So come on what did you want to talk to me about?” she asked.

“Well.” Danni looked over at Mike. “We want to move back home and wanted to check with you first.”

“Why are you asking permission it’s your place.” Ella said quietly.

Danni felt Mike grinning at her and she flushed.

“I know but it’s like we left.” Danni explained. “Both of us.” She added casting another look at Mike.

“The thing is both of you can leave and spend a few years away but you’ll always have a home with us. Please don’t be sensitive about it.” Ella murmured looking up as the drinks were delivered. She gave a brief smile to the waiter before picking up the glass and taking a drink.

“When are you getting married?” she asked grinning as they looked at each other before Danni spoke again.

“He wants to get married before the baby is born and I want to wait so that I can wear my dress.” Danni said with a sigh.

“Compromise.” Ella said grinning some more. “Get married now then have a blessing and combined christening and wedding blessing confirming your family.”

“That could work.” Mike murmured before he caught hold of Danni’s hand and lifted it to his lips. He placed a kiss to it before their eyes met and they smiled at one another.

Ella felt a wash of loneliness going over her and remembered the look on Roman’s face as she left him today.

“Hello, have you had a chance to look at your menus?” a waitress asked slowly after walking over to their table.

Mike picked up his menu and glanced at it before he chose a starter of seafood cocktail. He glanced at Danni and she selected the Italian salad. Ella sipped at her water before picking her menu up. She read through the list before asking for a salad.

“Thank you.” The waitress said. “And what can we get you for your main?”

“Steak.” Mike said immediately. “and chips.” He added reading the menu.

Danni laughed before she looked down at the menu. She scanned the menu before she looked at Mike.

“Me too.” She said in a soft voice.

He smiled at her before glancing over at his Mum and frowned immediately.

“Mum?” he asked.

“I’m fine.” Ella mumbled before she staggered from the table and ran over to the ladies.

Danni shot a concerned look at Mike before she got up and followed her. She heard Ella throwing up in a cubicle.

“Mum.” Danni gasped going over to the sink and grabbing a handful of paper towels. She ran them under the tap before taking them to Ella and wiping her face. “Are you ok? Dumb question. Er…”

Ella looked up a panicked look on her face.

“El?” Danni gasped out. “Are you pregnant?”

“No.” Ella said quickly.

“Of course not I mean that you haven’t seen anyone have you and anyway you know another pregnancy would be bad.” Danni muttered rambling.

She took a look at Ella’s face and moved to sit next to her groaning as he back protested.

“Stop.” Ella said “You’ll struggle to get up.”

Danni nodded agreeing with her.

“Ella.” She said quietly.

“I can’t be.” Ella muttered before she forced herself to stand upright. She dumped the towels in the toilet and flushed before heading over to the sink and washed her hands before wiping her face.

“Can’t be?” Danni questioned. “As in miraculous?” she asked slowly.

“Look this is just a stomach thing. Been very busy and all the kids have been ill.” Ella muttered.

Danni looked at her before she nodded and the pair of them eased out of the restroom. They saw Mike standing in the foyer and looked at him.

“I cancelled our order. Thought we would be better going to the studio and just relaxing for a bit.” He told them.

“Good idea.” Danni said moving to his side. “Come on Mum probably best to get you home.”

Ella nodded and let Mike guide them outside and grab a taxi. He saw them both settled in the back before getting in himself and gave the driver directions.

“Did you get my….” Ella began to ask.

“Both handbags are here.” He said patting his pocket. “And thank you for choosing small ones so I didn’t look like I was a mugger.”

“Or something else.” Danni added with a giggle.

Mike glared at her before he smiled and caught hold of her hand squeezing it within his own. He saw her give him a look before her eyes flashed to Ella and he frowned before smiling once more.

“Think you are up for some Chinese?” he asked softly.

“Ouh spring rolls.” Danni blurted out.

“I better agree otherwise you’ll have to go out at three am and find a place that does spring rolls.” Ella said slowly feeling her stomach slowly settling.

“Hey!” Danni protested.

The taxi eased to a halt outside the studio and they climbed out Mike paying for the cab before they went inside. Ella put on the lights and moved into the bedroom slipping off her shoes and changing into a bathrobe before coming back out. She saw Danni seated on one of the sofas with her feet up.

“Ok?” she asked Ella.

“What’s going on?” Mike asked coming over and placing a drink in front of Danni. He made a second trip coming back with a beer for himself and a bottle of water for his mother.

“Nothing just a stomach thing.” Ella said. ”Thank you.” She added as she accepted the drink.

“Well I’ve ordered a selection from the menu. Don’t worry I’ve included Spring rolls.” He said smiling as Danni sighed.

He sat next to her and reached up pulling her feet into his lap rubbing the soles.

“That is so …” Danni sighed once more. “Good.” She finished in a breathy voice.

Mike grinned at her before groaning as she reached out and slapped his arm.

“Hey!” he cried out.

“Stop with the goofy expression.” She said glancing at Ella.

She lifted her legs off and turned standing up slowly and heading over to the bathroom leaving Mike and Ella alone.

“So.” Mike said looking at her. “What is going on?”

“I told you nothing. Just a touch of stomach flu.”

“And is this going to last about nine months.” He muttered folding his arms across his chest. He found himself feeling betrayed by the thought that she could have found someone so soon.

“no.” Ella said definitely.

“So anyway.” Mike said slowly before looking at Ella once more. “Who is he?” he asked instead of talking about something else as he intended.

“There isn’t anybody.” Ella said before she stood up and began to walk over to her bedroom. She felt the pressure of keeping Roman a secret and the realisation that she may be pregnant and the room began to spin. She gulped in a deep breath before swaying. She heard Mike call out sounding as though he was a long way away before the roaring grew inside her head and she sank to the floor in a dead faint.

“Mum.” Danni gasped coming out of the bathroom.

Mike had reached her side and picked her up off the floor. He frowned before walking into the bedroom and laying her gently on the bed.

“Mike.” Danni said feeling panicked.

“Danni it’s ok.” Mike told her kissing the top of her head before giving his attention to his mother. He saw that she was coming round and looked at her.

“Mum.” He said softly. “Who is the father?”

“Roman.” She mumbled rolling over in the bed bursting into noisy sobs.

Mike looked at her before he stumbled out of the room and over to the kitchen. He saw Danni’s concerned expression and he tried to smile at her but instead a numbness took all his emotion and his thoughts.

“What did she say?” Danni asked puzzled once more by what was going on.

“Nothing.” Mike said after a minute.

The intense moment was interrupted by the arrival of the food and Mike busied himself with sorting it out before he sat down with Danni on the long sofa again.

Chapter 28

Mike poured out the coffees and took them over to his mothers bedroom. He half knocked on the door before stepping inside and watched as she sat up hurriedly. She looked at though she had been crying all night and he felt rotten for a moment at disturbing her.

“I don’t want coffee thanks.” Ella said quickly.

“Its decaff.” He explained and saw her expression change. He knew then that she did think she was pregnant and walked over to the bed sitting on the side of it and placing the cups down before handing hers to her.

“Now then want to tell me about last night.” He murmured. “Especially what you said.”

Ella shook her head.

“So Roman isn’t alive somewhere,” Mike said his voice strained. “Because you know leaning something like that would have stopped me going back into the army and nearly stuffing up my life.”

Ella sighed and folded her arms across herself.

“Of course he isn’t.” she said to him. “Now I’m going to go take a shower.”

Mike looked at her and debated about probing further. Instead he stood up from the bed, collected his cup and moved back into the lounge. He found his jacket from where he’d dumped it last night and took out her handbag meaning to leave it to one side before curiosity got to him and he opened it up. He saw her phone and opened out going through the messages and then the call history. He found nothing out of the ordinary before he found his gaze drawn by the keys that had spilled out of her bag. He didn’t know why he was looking at them until he realised that there was an extra key on the set. He reached for the bunch he had and compared them. There was the key to garage downstairs, the key to studio entrance and the apartment door and then the keys to the house in Summer Bay. He had two extra keys on his, the pool house and the house where Danni was living. He reached for her set and took the miscellaneous key off before stuffing everything back in her handbag.

Heading downstairs he walked into the garage and opened up her car searching through the glove box. He found a parking ticket for a long stay carpark and frowned seeing that she had collected the card from there yesterday according to the date on it. Pulling out his phone he’d put the address in the search engine and pulled up a map of the location. It was on the outskirts of the city and he couldn’t think why she would park the car there. He grabbed the ticket and retreated to his car driving off to the address. When he got there he drove around for a while before he saw the entrance to the carpark entrance. He drove up the ramp and collected a ticket before he found a parking spot and parked up the car.

Mike climbed out and locked the car before walking out and looking around. Crossing the road he walked down the street before he spotted a sign for lock up garages. He began to run then until he found the entrance to the lock ups and moved to the office.

“Can I help sir?” he was asked.

“I hope so. I’ve been told to come and get something and don’t know the number I’m looking for.” Mike mumbled. He drew out the key and showed that to the man behind the desk.

“Number 26 sir.” He was told.

“Thanks.” Mike said and moved out of the office and along to the lock ups. He found the one he was looking for and opened up the garage. His eyes adjusted to the gloom and he saw a set of switches and went over to them clicking the lights on. He saw her motorbike sitting to one side then a rack with her other stuff on. Heading over to it he found a separate phone and looked at it seeing no history in any of the menus.

“Of course it wasn’t going to be that easy,” he muttered to himself.

He looked around before finding paperwork for the bike. It was registered in Joe’s name and he frowned before he saw the mileage when the bike was bought. Going over to it he scanned the mileage and compared the two.

He pulled out his phone and calculating that she made a minimum of two trips he used the currant location as a start point and plotted out a search area. Shaking his head he realised that he would have to do more research before he found a possible location and closed up the lock up before moving over the road back to his car.

He paid the parking charge and began the journey back to the studio. His head was still on the puzzle he had discovered, his mother was seeing someone and travelling there on a motorbike registered to someone else, she was quite possibly pregnant so that means she slept with someone and it was highly unlikely that she was really over losing Roman. That all added up to one thing in his mind, that the other man was out there somewhere and still very much alive.

It was only then that he realised a blue car was following him. He began to make random turns to make sure that he wasn’t just being paranoid. He kept his eyes on the car the tinted windscreen preventing him from seeing exactly who was in the car apart from seeing that there were two people inside. From out of nowhere he saw that he was coming up to a drive thru restaurant and he swiftly indicated and pulled in. He noticed that the car followed him before realised that it was now stuck behind him in the queue.

By the time he pulled up to the window he’d decided what he was going to do and leaning over he ordered himself some food accepting the order a few minutes later before paying and driving through to the car park. He eased his car into a slot and turned off the engine opening the bag and taking a bite of his burger.

Watching the other car in his rear view mirror he waited until it was near the order window before he crossed over to the passenger side of his car. This was facing away from the other car and he climbed out closing the door quietly behind him. Moving through the carpark he managed to get to the other side of the building without being seen and then ran around it until he was at the back of the queue for the drive thru. He crouched low and eased past a number of cars until he was next to the blue car. He grabbed the handle of the back door and opened it up climbing inside in a fluid movement.

“Well hello.” He said seeing exactly who the two men were. “Now which one of you wants to give me Roman’s address?” he asked.

Jacko glanced at Pete.

“Looks like we were busted.” He said with a quick smile.

Pete nodded.

“Well it were your dodgy driving.” He said back before looking at Mike.

Jacko grinned.

“Go get your lunch kid it’s a long drive.”

They pulled up outside the shack just as the sun was setting. Mike sprinted out of the car first and moved over to the door. He knocked politely before swearing and then kicking it in.

“You complete bastard.” He shouted out seeing Roman standing there. “Have you any idea what you’ve done?”

Roman shook his head looking past him and to the two men behind him.

“Why did you bring him here?” he asked his voice sounding odd.

Pete shot a puzzled look at Jacko before he stepped forward and over to Roman. It was then he noticed the curtains that had been ripped off and the smashed picture.

“Hardcore.” He said slowly.

“I can’t do this. Get out.” Roman muttered.

Mike groaned before anger took him over and he pulled back his fist punching the other man. Roman staggered back from the blow lifting a hand to his face.

“You want to do this kid?” he asked looking at Mike.

Mike glared at him.

“Do you know what you did to us when you died? Do you know how much hurt you’ve caused?” Mike snarled.

Roman shook his head before swinging and landing a punch on Mike. The younger man staggered back falling against Jacko. He lifted his hand to ward off another blow too late and both he and Jacko went sprawling backwards out of the shack.

Mike roared out his anger before bending and charging at Roman, the two men wrestling before going out of the shack. They fell on to the sand brawling and landing blows on each other.

Pete moved to break up the fight only to find Jacko’s hand on his arm.

“No mate this has been coming a long time.” he said slowly. “Let them get it out of their system.”

“No point us trying to save him for Mike to kill him.” Pete muttered.

Jacko shook his head.

“Trust me.” He said softly.

They exchanged a look before Pete nodded and turned back walking inside shaking his head.

Jacko watched until he saw that Roman was exhausted and he stepped between them pulling him away.

“Enough.” He told Mike.

Breathing heavily Mike nodded slowly and stepped back. He was never going to acknowledge that if Jacko hadn't stepped in he would have collapsed.

“Come on.” Jacko said guiding Roman inside and over to the sofa. They stopped and looked at Pete.

“How many did you take?” he asked holding up a pill bottle.

Roman held up two fingers.

“They are pretty strong.” He said in a hoarse whisper.

“Wait!” Mike ground out. “What…” he added.

Pete tossed him the bottle and saw a puzzled look on his face.

Roman shook his head sinking back on the sofa.

“Seems that being shot has its downsides. One is migraine headaches.” He explained. “Do you think that I could get some water?”

Jacko nodded and moved into the kitchen grabbing a bottle from the fridge.

“What happened?” Jacko asked. “We were about to see the Mrs when we noticed this one deciding to do a Nancy Drew impression.”

“Hey.” Mike protested.

“Ella’s left me.” Roman said speaking softly. “Seems I’m pushing her away.”

Mike looked at him before he bit his lip.

“So what is the story?” he asked instead.

Roman looked at him.

“I woke up from a three day coma to find out I was dead or my family would be.” He said sarcastically. “Because there is a Serbian General out there that I thought would be locked up for life.”

“He escaped?” Mike asked before he looked at Roman. “You were the team they sent in? God, you guys are heroes. You were out of ammo, out of contact, overdue by ten days then you walked in with the guy in handcuffs. That mission is part of basic training by the core.”

Jacko smiled proudly before sobering as he felt Roman glaring at him.

“We have to come up with ways we would get out of the same situation.” Mike continued a note of awe in his voice.

“Well did they come up with a way of getting round the fact the bastard escaped?” Roman asked bitterly. He reached for the bottle of water and staggered into the bedroom kicked the door shut behind him before falling onto the bed and sinking into an exhausted sleep.

Chapter 29

Roman walked out of his bedroom and stopped. Jacko was asleep on the sofa meaning he must have won the bet because Mike and Pete were on the floor in a couple of sleeping bags. He stepped over the pair of them and walked into the bathroom grabbing a shower. He flushed the toilet noisily and left the taps running too grinning when the first knock on the door sounded.

“Did you want something?” he called out.

“Quit messing.” Mike yelled back.

Roman opened the door and peered out.

“Are you planning to hit me again?” he asked.

“Only if you don’t move.” Mike shot back.

Roman smiled or well his facial expression would have been a smile had his jaw not been bruised and switched off the taps before stepping out and letting Mike use the bathroom. He stepped over to his bedroom and shut the door coming out after a moment and heading to the kitchen.

“So what are you doing here?” Roman asked them.

“We came to check up on you.” Jacko said quietly. “And Nancy Drew there found out where you were.”

“Hey.” Mike called out before looking at Roman sheepishly.

Jacko and Pete looked at each other and smiled.

“Quit that.” Roman growled out making coffee.

“What?” Jacko asked sounding innocent. “Don’t you want your life back Hardcore? Did you give up on us in Velika?” he added referring to the small town in Serbia they had been holed up in. He could have mentioned any other place they had been against the odds and come out the other side.

“That was different.” Roman said quietly.

He handed out cups of coffee and glanced round the group.

“Ella…” he began.

“My mother.” Mike began at the same time.

The two men looked at each other the hostility of the previous night still between them.

“Did you sleep with her?” Mike muttered folding his arms across his chest and glaring at Roman.

“None of your business.” Roman shot out.

“So that is a yes.” Mike said looking disgusted.

“No that is a none of your business.” Roman growled.

“How could she even look at you after what you’ve put us through?” Mike bit out.

“Easy boy.” Jacko said flinching at the look Mike shot him.

“You have never understood the relationship between your mother and me.” Roman said.

“No I just can’t understand how she could just forgive you each time you rip her heart out.” Mike said slowly.

“She hasn’t forgiven me.” Roman shot out breathing heavily. “She’s never going to forgive me she’s made that clear. So there is nothing for me to go back to.”

Mike shook his head.

“Maybe you should have thought of using birth control.” He said quietly.

Roman’s head shot up.

“What are you saying?” he muttered.

Jacko looked at Mike before his gaze was drawn to Roman.

“Nothing.” Mike said taking his cup and walking outside. He looked at the view feeling an idiot for saying anything.

“No there is something.”

“Yeah, you’ve got kids that need you.” Mike said covering up his earlier slip. “Twins that are coming up to two. Lily and Lam are nearly 4. Yet you are here expecting my mother to cope with them all. She wasn’t the one who wanted the last babies was she? But she’s done the night feeds and the nappy changes when she’s had to cope with losing her husband.”

Roman sighed and rubbed a hand over his face.

“So what do you want me to do about it?” he asked Mike. “Go home and let there be another year of dealing with someone coming after us? Only this time he won’t stop with threats and stalking he’ll kill. He’ll take pleasure in luring Sophie into his clutches. Do you want to hear about what he’d do to your sister? They called it ethnic cleansing where they kidnap Muslim women and repeatedly rape them until they were pregnant with Serbian babies. Maybe I should tell you about the death camps we saw or the mass graves. Nothing I did could take away the smell of those bodies for ages after we came back. “

Roman looked at Mike and stepped away.

“It’s safer if I stay dead.” He added after a minute of silence.

“Easier.” Mike contradicted. “You’re scared.”

Roman nodded.

“I’m petrified. I couldn’t bear it if anything else happened to your mother because of me.” He said beginning to turn away.

“Answer me two questions.” Mike said. “And then I’ll get in the car and forget I’ve even seen you.”

Roman shook his head before he saw Jacko and Pete looking at him. He changed his mind and turned to Mike.

“What?” he muttered.

“Did you have any idea this could happen?”

Roman shook his head.

“Do you want to do to Sophie and Meggy and Lily and August and Fleur to grow up without you the way that Nic did? For your boys to live without a father?”

Roman hesitated before he looked at Mike.

“At least they will grow up.” He said quietly.

Mike gave him a look of disgust before he dropped the cup in the sand and walked away over to the car.

Roman turned and looked back to Pete and Jacko seeing identical looks on their faces. They began cleaning up their sleeping bags before moving out to the car. Roman watched them knowing this was it neither of them would be back. He turned and looked at the mess in the shack. His tortured destruction of yesterday and sighed.

“You won’t want this then.” Pete said slowly placing a box on his table.

Roman looked at him.

“No.” he said sounding defiant.

“Take care mate.” Pete said before turning and walking away.

Roman sank down on to the sofa before he opened up the box and began looking at the files inside. He pulled out the first one and looked at it before he started reading. He didn’t notice when the car pulled up outside and Pete appeared back at the door. He was in front of a table, Jacko carrying the other end of it. They placed it by the wall just as Mike brought in a couple of chairs.

“What?” Roman muttered.

“We’re helping.” Pete said slowly. “We decided that we were going to bring him in as a team. So it’s only fair we do this as a team.”

“And what is your excuse?” Roman asked looking at Mike.

“Well I’m here for my dad.” Mike said slowly.

“He wasn’t even on that mission.” Roman said looking at him.

“Yes you were.” Mike murmured slowly.

Roman nodded then and stood going into the kitchen staying out the way as they began arranging furniture and putting up a pin board. Mike sat up the laptop that Ella had brought with her and soon each of them had delved into the box pulling out a file and going through the information.

“Just one thing is puzzling me.” Pete said after a while.

“What’s that?” Jacko muttered.

“Why you said that fight was coming a long while.”

Jacko glanced at Mike and then Roman.

“Pete don’t you recognise Alpha males when you see them. Got to be head of their packs.” He muttered.

Roman laughed before shaking his head.

“No it’s stems to when we lost Ella.” He said softly.

Mike groaned.

“Not going to forget that are you old man.”

“Less of the old.” Roman growled out.

“See what I mean.” Jacko said to Pete. “They was always going to fight one day. Mostly because they is both stubborn.”

“Hey.” Mike and Roman chorused.

“Exactly.” Jacko said.

Pete looked round the group and nodded before he grinned.

Archived