Missing Heart

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 80

Ella looked at the table and frowned. She saw her kids seated around it looking angelic and frowned some more before slowly approaching it. Her tablecloth was spread out on the table and looked as though it had been ironed and the lace trim had been sown on. The streaky pink colour that had been prevalent before was now faded and looked vaguely ok. She saw Roman’s grinning face and she raised an eyebrow as she looked at him.

“I see that the tablecloth has survived.” She commented.

Roman stood and walked into the kitchen.

“We made all the beds.” Meggy said quickly.

“I helps.” Lily added.

“I see.” Ella murmured as she walked over to the table and sat down.

Roman moved out of the kitchen and placed a plate of food in front of her before sitting back down in his seat next to her.

“Thank you,” she said to him quietly.

“I think the children were trying to do a good thing.” Roman said quietly back.

Ella looked at him and nodded.

“They are still grounded.” She muttered to him.

Roman chuckled before looking at the kids.

“How long?” he asked her.

“A couple of years.” Ella said to him.

“I think you’d be fed up after a couple of days.” Roman pointed out. “Perhaps we should just cancel Christmas.”

“No!” Liam shouted out. He looked at his dad before climbing off his chair and running over to his mum burying his face in her lap as he started crying.

“It’s ok little man, Dada was just joking.” Ella soothed her son before she lifted him up and held him. She looked over at Roman, giving him the now look what you’ve done expression before carrying Liam up and out of the room.

“Dada noorties.” Lily announced putting her knife and fork down. She climbed off her chair and gave her dad a look before following her mother.

“Lily, come back her and finish your dinner.” Roman called quickly.

Lily shook her head and started running.

“Er great Dad.” Georgie muttered. “Even I know better than to upset Liam if I don’t want Lils standing over me in the night holding a chainsaw.”

Roman shot Georgie a look before he stood and moved out of the room. He saw the back of Lily as she disappeared at the top of the stairs and he followed, taking the stairs two at a time until he got to the top and walked into the children’s bedroom. He saw Ella kneeling in front of a snuffling Liam wiping his face and grimaced.

“Hey, I’m sorry Liam.”

Liam looked at him and shook his head.

“It’s ok, Liam’s a little hot and he’s tired.” Ella said softly.

They both looked up as Lily came back into the room with a flannel and handed that to her mother.

“Thank you Lily girl.” Ella said softly using the damp cloth to wipe her sons face.

“Are you finished with dinner Liam?” Roman asked kneeling besides Ella.

He reached out and pressed his hand on his son’s head and frowned before sharing a look with Ella.

“I think we need some medicine.” He commented.

“I gets.” Lily murmured quickly.

“Dada gets.” Roman told his daughter. “Because it’s on the top shelf.”

Lily nodded and moved to sit with her brother.

“I don’t’s like medicine.” Liam muttered fussing as his face was wiped.

“Lily holds your hand.” Lily murmured to her brother.

Ella nodded at Roman and he stood moving out of the room and down the stairs. He was back in a couple of minutes handing Ella the bottle of junior medicine. She shook it to make sure the liquid was mixed before unscrewing the lid and pouring out the dose. Holding the spoon up to his lips she chuckled as Liam screwed up his face and shook his head.

“Come on Liams.” Lily encouraged. “Me has some too.”

He glared at his sister before opening his mouth and drinking it down.

“Brave little man.” Roman said softly.

“Are you going to get into your pj’s?” Ella asked him, “and get in bed?”

Liam shook his head quickly.

“Maybe if Lily stays with him?” Roman suggested.

Lily nodded.

“No.” Liam muttered.

“Come on babes, you need some sleep.” Ella whispered.

He shook his head stubbornly and glared at his Dad.

“Lily put this back for me.” Ella told her daughter handing over the flannel.

Lily immediately jumped off the bed and ran out of the room.

“Take his pillow and cover downstairs.” Ella told Roman.

He nodded and moved to lift them off the bed as Ella picked up her son.

“Takes teddy.” Liam murmured pointing to his favourite bear giving a quick grin as Roman carefully picked up the bear too. He moved out of the room and they heard him talking to Lily as he went down the stairs.

“Come on babes.” Ella said standing her son down and pulling off his t shirt. She reached for his pjs and shook out the top before putting it on him. He frowned at her but let her lift him on the bed so she could take off his trainers and socks. She eased him down on the bed and slipped him out of his shorts before putting on his bottoms and then lifting him up and carrying him out of the room. He murmured something to her and she reached out and caught hold of another soft toy before lifting him out of the room and down the stairs.

“Hey,” she whispered to him and pointed to the sofa where his dad had made a mini bed for him, tucking in teddy too.

“Dada good.” He murmured to her.

Ella smiled before she placed him in the made up bed and putting the cover over him. She could tell he wasn’t feeling well when he didn’t kick off, instead he snuggled down and hugged his toys. Roman watched over them before he moved and leaned down kissing Liam’s head.

“Hey, my son.” He whispered tucking the blanket around him. “You sleeps now?”

Liam nodded.

“Ta Dada.” He murmured.

Roman exchanged a look with Ella feeling himself choke up with emotion before he turned and moved over to the table. He looked round the others seeing cleared plates and twisted his lips in a half smile.

“Georgie want to get everyone ice cream?” he asked watching as his son stood and began collecting the empty plates and took them through to the kitchen. He lifted his and Ella plates and took them through to the kitchen himself. He looked down at them before scraping the half eaten contents into the bin and then opening the fridge.

“I’ll settle for ice cream.” Ella murmured from behind him.

“Yeah I know you would.” He said. “Pity you are setting an example for the kids and eating something healthy beforehand.”

“Is it any wonder that sometimes I really hate you?” she asked moving to his side and smiling as he put his arm around her.

“Cheese on toast?” he offered.

She nodded looking up at him and seeing him smile at her.

“I’ll bring it through, why don’t you sit with our son?”

Ella nodded again and leaned up kissing him before she slipped out of the kitchen and over to the sofa where Liam was. Within a moment Lily ran over from the table and came to sit with her grinning as Liam handed over her favourite teddy to her.

“Ta.” She said grinning at him.

Ella reached over and lifted the throw down and tucked Lily up too.

“Hey,” Gabby called walking in through the back with Daniella and the twins. She led them over to the other sofa and lifted them on to the long cream seating.

“Just in time for ice cream.” Sophie told her sister.

“Come on.” Ella said to them grinning at the rush from the table as they came and claimed seats around the sofas. “Did you have a nice dinner with Daniella?” she asked her twins.

August looked at her mother and grinned.

“Mac eese.” She declared.

“Really?” Elal said softly. “That is your favouritest.”

August nodded.

“Liam poorlies?” she asked.

“He is, he’s had medicine.”

“Poor babes.” Fleur lisped looking over at her brother.

“Ah that’s sweet.” Meggy said.

“Can I put on a film?” Sammy said looking at them.

“Go on then.” Ella said to him before grinning as Georgie walked in carrying a tray. He placed it on the table and began handing out bowls to everyone including the babies.

“Hey look it’s Alex.” Gabby said to her daughter pointing to the tv as the film Madagascar came on.

“Rowrr..” Daniella called out making them all laugh.

“Good choice.” Gabby told Sammy. “Daniella loves this film.”

Ella bit back a grin as he son blushed before lifting Lily on to her lap and patting the space next to her. He nodded and moved to sit there smiling as Ella put her arm around him and leant back on the sofa. She relaxed as her kids settled down and watched the movie putting the fact that in a couple of weeks the kids would be elsewhere. Looking up she saw Roman walking in carrying a plate of cheese on toast and gave him a quick smile.

“What? And we had to have ice cream?” Gabby muttered putting her empty bowl to one side and smiling up at Roman.

“Er haven’t you just had dinner?” Sophie asked her sister.

Gabby nodded.

“But it’s his cheese on toast. There is nothing like his cheese on toast.” She pointed out.

”That’s a fair point.” Sammy said slowly.

“And haven’t you just had dinner?” Roman asked his son as he watched him snag a piece off his mother’s plate and bite into it.

“I’m a growing boy.” Sammy said around a mouthful of toast.

Roman shook his head before reaching out and ruffling Sammy’s hair. He ignored the smirk that his son Georgie gave him and sat down on the floor next to where Ella was sitting.

“Have you eaten?” she asked him.

Roman shook his head.

“Wasn’t hungry.” He said to her quickly. “Think I might need some medicine too.” He added and heard Liam give a tired sound chuckle next to him.

“Here Dada.” Liam murmured handing his dad his teddy bear.

“Thank you babes.” Roman murmured hugging the bear and smiling when he felt Ella’s hand touch his head.

“Bit hot.” She told him.

Roman nodded.

“Whadda reckon?” Jacko muttered to Pete as the two men walked through the back. “Has he gone soft?”

Pete put his head on one side as he looked over at Roman sitting with the bear still in his arms.

“Well that bear could have been about to attack and he had to take it out in unarmed combat.” Pete drawled.

Roman glared at them before turning his head and looking at his kids as they laughed.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 81

Ella looked over at Roman; he was under the covers, his back to her as she walked through into the bedroom.

“Hey.” He murmured quietly. “Kids in bed.”

“Yup.” She said with a shrug.

Moving through the bedroom she walked into the en suite and he heard the shower come on. Rolling over he slowly sat up and lifted his feet out of the bed and stood. Padding barefoot to the bathroom he peered through the door and over at her.

“I need to sit down with the boys tomorrow.” He said to her and she knew that he was talking about Jacko and Pete and not their sons. A shudder went through her despite the hot water spilling over her body.

“Ok.” She said softly.

“Are you sure you aren’t going to go with the babies?” he asked her grimacing as she immediately shook her head under the water.

He frowned as he tried to think of ways to make her change her mind before watching as she stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around herself.

“If I go are you going to promise me you aren’t going to do anything stupid?” she asked him.

He looked at her framing his answer.

“I thought so.” She muttered stepping past him and into the bedroom.

“Hey!” he protested following her. “That isn’t fair.

Ella turned and looked at him before dropping the towel to the floor and climbing naked into the bed.

“And that isn’t fair either.” He muttered narrowing his eyes as he watched her.

Walking around the bed he climbed in the other side and turned to look at her.

“We both know that you actually have a history of self sacrifice.” She pointed out.

“And you don’t?” he shot back stung by her question.

“For my kids, yeah, maybe once upon a time. But I’ve been the sole parent for a year and I’m never going to put them through something like that again.”

“Ouch.” Roman muttered rolling away from her and lying on his back.

Ella looked at his profile and sighed before she moved in the bed over to him. She knelt beside him before moving over the top and straddling him.

“Are you still feeling rough?” she asked him in a husky voice.

Roman groaned suddenly as he reached out and caught hold of her waist.

“What,” he began his voice choked up. “What,” he began again. “did you have in mind?” he finished.

She smiled and leaned down to kiss him.

“I don’t know. I was hoping you could come up with something.” She said slowly.

“Well I am feeling a little rough.” He admitted. “Not sure that I want to fool around.”

Ella nodded and kissed him again before easing away.

“Woah,” he muttered catching hold of her arms and looking into her eyes. “Not so fast.” He added. “I’m feeling a bit better now.”

Ella giggled before she leaned down and kissed him again. She felt his hand stroke down her back and she sighed against his lips before kissing him again.

“Much better.” He said.

She smiled at him before running her fingers down his chest.

“You’ve been working out.” She commented.

“Just a little.” He admitted.

“I like it.”

“I know.” He said with a chuckle.

“Hey!” she protested.

“I love how you love my body.” He said huskily. “I love how I can turn you on.”

He reached out and caught hold of her hand pulling it back to his chest and smiling as she looked at him, her eyes big and her bottom lip caught between her teeth.

“I love this.” He added.

She looked at him.

“This.” He murmured leaning up and kissing her, taking her bottom lip between his teeth and nipping it gently. He heard her give a little squeal and chuckled.

“You know I hate that.” She groaned.

“Yeah,” he agreed with her. “So much.”

She blushed and then sighed when he did it for a second time.

Pulling her hard against him he rolled them over in the bed feeling her legs wrapping around him immediately.

“Want me already?” he asked grinning at her.

“I always want you.” She said to him groaning when she saw the smug look on his face.

He reached out and stroked her hair back from her face and on to the pillow behind her.

“You know you only have to look at me and I want you.” He said softly.

Ella sighed before feeling his lips on hers. He trailed kisses down her neck and along her collarbone before further down. His lips curved into a smile as he heard her sigh again. He loved the breathy little noises she made, as he loved her. He kissed the valley between her breasts before finding one rosy coloured nipple.

Her hands reached for him stroking down his back pulling him closer.

“Like that?” he asked before suckling on her.

He felt her hands reach up as she wound her fingers in his hair and held his head against her.

He kissed her breast again before moving his head and looking into her eyes.

“Make love to me?” he asked her quietly.

“Oh always” she murmured back.

Roman chuckled as he joined his body with hers.

They stopped on the beach near the gym, mid run, Jacko stretched out his hamstrings and looked over at Roman.

“Again?” he asked him.

“Still wondering if this was a good plan.” Jacko said. “You look like a stiff breeze is going to blow you over.”

Roman nodded.

“I haven’t been working out at all.” Roman admitted before looking down quickly. His thoughts immediately drifted to Ella and all the ‘working out’ he’d been doing with her lately. He smiled before dropping down to the ground and beginning push-ups.

“What’s he smirking for?” Pete asked sounding sour.

“I have no idea.” Jacko shot back. “Probably some sex thing.”

“Really?” Pete groaned. “Again.”

Jacko nodded.

“And that is only twenty.” He told Roman. “Your rhythm seems to be off.”

Roman swore silently before focusing on the push-ups.

“I wonder if Ella says the same thing to him.” Jacko murmured to Pete and grinning as Roman collapsed on to the ground distracted.

“That is enough gentlemen!” Roman snapped out standing up and moving to stand in front of them.

“Hardcore. You ain’t going to do this.” Jacko said to him. “You ain’t fit enough or smart enough or…”

“I think you made the point Jacko.” Pete told the other man cutting him off. “This plan isn’t going to work and you know it.” He turned and addressed Roman. “You think Ella is going to stay put when you drop her off with the little ones?”

Roman nodded.

“He’s deluded.” Jacko muttered.

Roman looked around them.

“What do you want me to do?” he asked sounding bitter. “I dragged her into this and she won’t listen each time I try to talk to her. Alexi isn’t going to stop is he?”

Pete and Jacko exchanged a look.

“So she goes with the babies under the excuse that she is needed to settle them in and we leave her there come back and deal with Alexi before she can …”

Pete looked at him as though he were insane and he grimaced.

“I have to protect her.” He announced.

“And maybe she needs to be here to stop you dying again.” Jacko pointed out.

“Well well well.” Angelo called out before walking over to them. “The gang is all here.”

Roman turned and shot a glance at the other man resisting the urge to want to thump him. Well no that was incorrect; he wanted to thump the other man, it was resisting the urge was to actually do it. Even though the other man had messed with Ella.

“What do you want?” Roman bit out lifting his arm and using the sleeve of his t shirt to wipe the sweat from his face before he half turned and looked at him.

“I just thought you needed a reminder that you are actually dead.” Angelo ground out.

Roman half shook his head when he felt the restless movement of Jacko behind him.

“No reminder necessary.” Roman muttered. “I’ve decided that it’s time to face things.”

“Seems you might get your chance.” Angelo drawled. “Someone with Alexi’s description was seen boarding a plane in Perth.”

Roman looked over at Pete and saw the other man nod. He knew that meant that Pete would be making a call to James and there would probably be some computer hacking to find out what exactly Angelo knew and he smiled thinking of it. Anything that got one over on the other man was good.

“You think you are so hot don’t you Harris.” Angelo bit out, his voice dripping resentment.

“I think that you should leave me alone.” Roman shot back feeling his hands curl into fists. “and stay away from Ella.”

“What about Ella?” Jacko asked ignoring the look that Pete shot him.

“Angelo here thought that he would try and sneak his way into Ella’s affections.” Roman said drawling out the words.

“And you is standing for that Hardcore?” Jacko asked him.

“Hardcore?” Angelo scoffed. “They call you Hardcore?” he asked sounding sarcastic.

“Maybe you should ask why we call him that?” Pete said folding his arms across himself.

“Really?” Angelo muttered looking at the other man before looking back at Roman. “So why do they call you hardcore?”

Roman glanced at Pete and Jacko seeing the two men smirking before he looked back at Angelo.

“Because I can do everything.” Roman said to him.

“Everything?” Angelo interrupted him.

Jacko chuckled.

“Bomb disposal.” Roman began. “Sniper,” he listed. “Unarmed combat.” He added before swinging his fist and hitting Angelo and knocking him back flat on to the sand.

“He’s good at that bit.” Jacko said to the prone man.

“Bloody maniac.” Angelo shouted scrambling to his feet.

“What was it Angelo? What made you go after Ella?” Roman shot out moving and circling the cop.

“She was easy.” Angelo muttered glaring at Roman.

Jacko sniggered before catching Pete giving him a look.

Roman glared an Angelo before he reached out and punching him again.

“Might want to take that back.” Jacko advised him.

“Hardcore, you know Ella wouldn’t want you to do this.” Pete cautioned.

Angelo staggered back with the force of the next blow that landed on him but remained standing. He grinned suddenly before pulling his arm back and aiming a blow at Roman.

Roman sidestepped it, the blow moving harmlessly past him before he hit back, suddenly the two men were rolling over in the sand hitting and brawling.

“We should stop him.” Pete said to Jacko. “Ella would be pissed.”

Jacko looked at him.

“You just hate me having fun don’t ya?” he said before stepping forward and grabbing hold of Roman. He dragged him up and off holding him back with difficulty as Pete got hold of the snarling Angelo.

“You are under arrest.” Angelo shouted out. “Assaulting a police officer.”

Roman bit back some choice words feeling his chest heaving as he fought to control his anger.

“We saw you throw the first punch.” Jacko said to Angelo. “Make those charges stick.” He added in a sneer.

“You aren’t going to get away with this.” Angelo said pushing at Pete’s arm and stepping back giving Roman a hate filled look.

“Been nice catching up with you Angelo.” Roman muttered. “Be careful you don’t fall over again on your way back underneath wherever rock you crawled out from.”

Jacko smirked before he gave Roman a stern expression.

“You haven’t heard the last of this Harris.” Angelo threatened before he threw Pete’s arm to one side and stormed away.

Jacko gave Roman another stern look before he stepped back and looked at him.

“Now that wasn’t all about Ella was it?” he asked looking at Roman’s face.

Roman tried to adopt a neutral expression but his eyes strayed to Pete and his lips curled into a snarl.

“No.” he muttered. “Angelo went after one of my girlfriends.” He admitted.

Pete looked at him immediately guessing that other girlfriend was Charlie.

“Oh great.” He said giving Roman a look before he walked off.

“So you gonna confess that bit to the wife?” Jacko said looking at him.

“What do you reckon?” Roman said lifting his hand and touching his lip. He saw blood on his fingertips and groaned.

“Yeah, you are going to need a reason why you look like that.” Jacko told him before walking off.

“Great.” Roman said before he swore. Just flippin’ great.”

Carina & Zetti.... considering you both nag me on facebook for updates the fact that it took you both a day to comment is really bad.... therefore you are both banned....

Chapter 82

Roman moved around the kitchen next to a silent Ella. He was beginning the buffet supper they always had on Christmas Eve and frowned when he reached for his favourite knife to cut up the potatoes to find Ella had taken it first.

“How many times do I have to say I’m sorry?” he asked breathing out slowly.

Ella glared at him before she stabbed her chopping board with the knife and walking out of the kitchen. Roman looked at the knife standing up in the board and groaned.

“So a couple more then.” he commented to the empty room.

“Talking to yourself?” Mike asked walking into the room.

“Seems safer than talking to my wife.” He muttered reclaiming the knife out of the board and using that on the potatoes for the salad.

“Perhaps you shouldn’t go round brawling with police officers.” Mike suggested opening the fridge and taking out a beer. He uncapped the bottle and took a drink.

“So any reason you came over to see me, aside from drinking my beer and giving me a hard time?” Roman asked glaring at Mike.

“Jacko mentioned something in passing. Thought I’d pop over and see if you really had lost your mind.” Mike said glancing over at the archway to make sure that they weren’t being overheard.

“Jacko has a big mouth.” Roman muttered looking down and realising that he’d pulverised one of the cooked potatoes in mush on the chopping board.

“Jacko thinks it would be smart if you weren’t to get killed.” Mike grinned as he spoke. “And I’m pretty sure he was just talking about Mother’s reaction.”

Roman groaned before looking back at Mike.

“I’m not going to enter a discussion about it.” He announced. “Now then, it’s Christmas eve and your mother deserves to have a good Christmas so that is what we are going to concentrate on.”

Mike looked at him and chuckled.

“So for a present is she actually going to talk to you again?” he asked.

Roman glared at Mike and silently promised himself that if he ever had to get the other man out of a cave again he make sure that he’d impose a few conditions.

“Mike, I want you to go sort out furniture from the shed and make sure there are enough seats for everyone.” Roman told him changing the subject.

“About that,” Georgie interrupted. “Sammy and I want to set up a bar.”

Roman gave Georgie a look about to tell him no when he saw the expression on his son’s face. This was obviously something that they did on a regular basis and he sighed at missing out the past year.

“Ok, Mike can give you a hand with that too.” He muttered grinning at the look on Mike’s face.

“Come on then.” Mike said to his brother.

Georgie laughed and spun around running over to where Sammy was sitting before the two of them shot out the back.

“Better get going.” Roman told Mike a smug look on his face.

Mike gave him a look before turning and heading the way the two boys had gone.

“Planning on giving us all jobs to do.” Sophie muttered walking into the kitchen. She headed to the fridge and took out the orange juice and pouring it out in the twins beakers. Roman watched her carefully before he grinned.

“You cook don’t you?” he asked her.

She started and the juice carton jerked in her hand spilling on the top before she turned and looked at him.

“A bit.” She said slowly.

“Great, finish off that salad and then you can boil eggs and make some salsa.” Roman said to her hiding his smile as she flushed before nodding.

“Fine.” She murmured capping off the twins beakers and taking them through to the lounge. She came back a moment later with Meggy.

“What are you going to get me to do?” Meggy asked him.

Roman looked at her before he grinned again.

“Go get table clothes out and put one on each of the tables outside. Then get out some candles.” He instructed.

“Ok.” Meggy said running off before he could say anything else.

He laughed before getting distracted as he and Sophie worked together making food, finding he was really impressed by the way his daughter moved around the kitchen. She displayed a lot of confidence in her cooking and that surprised him and made him smile too, when he thought how that must have come from him. Not that his Ella wasn’t just as capable in the kitchen, he thought quickly.

“So what next?” Sophie asked.

Roman looked at her before grinning.

“How about stir fry vegetables and sweet and sour sauce?” he said.

Sophie tilted her head to one side.

“Please.” She muttered. “Give me a challenge.”

He couldn’t help the grin on his face.

“Get on with it Chef.” He said to her and saw her take out the ingredients and beginning to cook the food.

Ella moved around the bedrooms checking that they were tidy and prepared for the influx of people. She walked through into the children’s bedroom and began to rearrange that to fit in the spare beds. Millie and Mira were going to stay in here. She’d had Jacko and Pete help place the beds in there earlier, having given Roman the silent treatment when he’d confessed to hitting Angelo. Now she made them up with sheets and covers before placing the pillows. She added new cuddly toys for the two girls and then new ones for her babies.

Kai was going to stay over with Daniella in the stables so that left the twins undisturbed, she thought as she moved up the stairs to the attic rooms. Robbie and Tyler were doing to sleep with Georgie and Sammy in Georgie’s room, leaving Angel slotting in with the girls. She checked out their rooms now seeing them neat and tidy. The beds were already made and she chuckled before heading back down both sets of stairs and into the kitchen.

“Slave labour.” She muttered watching Sophie cooking.

Her daughter blushed and looked over at her.

“I…” she began stopping when her mother grinned at her.

“He had to luck out and have one of his kids like cooking.” She commented and saw Roman flush guiltily.

“That’s done.” Meggy cried walking in through the back.

“Thought you were keeping an eye on the babies?” Ella asked looking at her daughter.

“They are watching tv.” Meggy said quickly. “I wouldn’t leave them alone for long.”

Ella narrowed her eyes and nodded.

“Ok what have you been up to then?” she asked her.

Meggy flushed.

“Well.” She muttered looking to her dad. She saw him nod and she began to speak again. “I’ve been making the tables look nice.”

Ella smiled.

“Really?” she asked her. “Has Mike put the lights out?”

Meggy nodded.

“It’s all done. The boys are helping him.”

Ella smiled at her and was about to say something else when a knock at the door sounded interrupting them.

“Better get that Sophie.” Ella said quietly.

“Why me?” Sophie asked frowning.

She looked around them before putting her spoon down and adjusting the temperature on the cooker before reluctantly heading towards the door. She pulled the door open and gasped.

“Oh my god. Steve.” She cried out looking at her boyfriend standing there with presents in his arms.

“Hey.” He said before flushing as Roman looked at him. “Can I…” he stopped and swallowed nervously. “Can I come in?”

“Oh of course you can, I thought you were going to your grandparents farm?” Sophie cried standing back and letting him in. She pointed to the lounge and grinned happily following him in there.

“You knew he was coming?” Meggy asked her mother.

Ella nodded opening her arms as Meggy went over to her.

“Cool.” Meggy said quietly. “She was missing him.”

“I know.” Ella grinned down at her daughter before kissing the top of her head, struck as always that she didn’t need to go down as far to reach it. Her daughter was going to be tall and willowy inheriting her build from Roman’s mother. She knew from photographs that Roman had also been the same way in his teens until he had begun to bulk out with athletics first and then weight training. Although she suspected that the weight training came about after he discovered girls.

“What are you doing here?” Sophie asked again looking over at Steve.

“Your Mum told me that you open your presents on Christmas eve.” He began.

“Not all of them.” Sophie said with a blush. “Just, well, we get to choose one to open tonight and then one in the morning at breakfast and then the rest of them.” Sophie chattered on nervously.

“Anyway.” Steve told her cutting through her chattering as he led her over to the unoccupied sofa ignoring Lily curious look over at them as he sat down and tugged on Sophie’s hand indicating that she should sit too. “Here is your Christmas eve present from me.” He told her handing over a small box.

Sophie gasped and looked at him before gasping again at how prettily it was wrapped. A small ribbon was tied round the box with flowers tucked in it.

“I can’t open this.” Sophie said with tears in her eyes. “Mum has rules.”

Steve nodded.

“I know but your mother said that this year she’d make an exception because I want to see you open the box.” Steve explained. “I’ve only got an hour and then I’m going back to my grandparents.”

“Really?” Sophie asked him looking at the bow before jumping up and running into the kitchen. “Really?” she asked again this time addressing her mother.

Ella nodded, looking past her shoulder and over to Steve. She gave him an encouraging smile feeling his nervousness with Roman around on top of this surprise he’d arranged for Sophie.

“Ok.” Sophie said in a high-pitched voice.

She began taking the wrapping apart very slowly, trying not to rip it before finally opening the box.

“Oh.” She said sounding disappointed. “It’s empty.”

Steve chuckled before he put his hand in his pocket and then held it out to Sophie.

“Here.” He said softly.

She looked down and saw a small golden ring in the palm of his hand.

“What?” she gasped.

He chuckled again and pulled her right hand towards him placing the ring on her third finger.

“It’s a promise ring. It means we are boyfriend and girlfriend.” He explained smiling as she looked down at the entwined hearts design on the small gold band. “If that is what you want?”

Sophie nodded quickly.

“Hang on.” Roman began before lapsing into silence when Ella looked at him.

“Thank you Steve.” Ella said looking at Sophie.

“Oh yeah.” She said looking down at her ring. “Thank you.” She cried throwing her arms around him and kissing him.

“Hey.” Roman cried out.

“Sophie why don’t you get Steve a drink and take him upstairs.” Ella suggested.

Sophie nodded moving over the fridge and getting two cans of soda before rushing out of the room taking Steve with her.

“So …” Roman began looking over at Ella. “You let our daughter…” he muttered raising his eyes expressively towards the ceiling indicating towards the bedrooms.

“I’m going to go check on the babies.” Meggy announced quickly running into the other room.

“What’s the matter?” Ella asked Roman a teasing note in her voice. “Don’t you trust our daughter?”

He glared at her before turning to the stove and seeing to the food.

“She’s a kid.” He muttered.

Ella grinned and stepped forward to his side.

“She’s a smart kid.” She told him running her hand down his back.

“Don’t do that.” He muttered giving her a look. “We both know you are still mad at me.”

“That’s different.” She said her movement paused leaving her hand placed in the middle of his back.

“Oh so it’s ok for you to be mad at me but still want to comfort me.” He said and bit back a groan when he felt her remove her hand in a sharp gesture.

“If you need me I’ll be with Meggy.” She announced walking away from him into the other room.

He lifted his head after a minute before moving and looking in the fridge. Maybe if he made a toffee cheesecake he wouldn’t be sleeping on the sofa tonight.

Chapter 83

Toby pulled up outside the house and looked over at Amy-Belle. She was seated in the passenger seat beside him fast asleep and he grinned thinking of her insistence that she drive half the way as they set off earlier that day, and then she had slept through the entire journey. He reached out and gently shook her awake.

“We’re here.” He told her.

“I can tell. I wonder if my parents are here yet?”

“Didn’t you tell me your Dad loves the buffet?” Toby asked her.

Amy-Belle nodded looking around.

“Is his car here?” she asked.

Toby pointed over to where Aden’s car was parked and grinned at Amy-Belle’s expression.

“Come on Kai, let’s go see Granddad.” She called softly looking at her son in the back seat.

“Granda.” Kai called out excitedly.

Toby chuckled and eased out of the car. Moving around it to open the passenger door. He grinned at Amy-Belle as she blushed and accepted his hand to help her out.

“Come on.” He murmured before opening the back door and unsnapping the safety belt around Kai before lifting him out. He placed the boy on his hip and walked over to the house with Amy-Belle. They walked into the house and heard music playing and the sound of kids running around.

“Toby!” Sammy cried out running over to him.

“Hey bruv.” Toby murmured.

“About time.” Sammy muttered. “Hey Amy-Belle, Kai.”

“Hi Samson.” Amy-Belle said softly before yawning. “Sorry.” She gasped putting her hand over her mouth.

Toby chuckled at her before moving through the house.

“Mum.” He called out.

Ella grinned and ran over to him before putting her arms around him and hugging him to her.

“Hey.” She greeted him, “Good trip up?”

He nodded.

“Not bad, although someone probably doesn’t remember it.” He told her before lowering Kai to his feet and watching as he ran over to Lily. “Where is Dad?”

“Out there.” Ella pointed to the back garden and watched as her son went looking for Roman.

“It is so not my fault I slept the entire journey. Someone was up all night wrapping presents.” Amy-Belle defended.

Ella laughed at her.

“Like his father then, he always complains when I fall asleep on him.” Ella murmured before leading Amy-Belle out the back and over to her parents. She grinned as Belle shot up and hugged her immediately.

“Missed you.” Belle murmured.

“Where is the little man?” Aden asked.

“Toby is over there.” Ella murmured.

“Very funny.” Aden groaned and rolled his eyes before looking round for Kai. He saw the blond little boy sitting with Lily and after hugging his daughter ran over to his grandson.

Ella smiled before looking round her family. She saw Roman standing talking to Toby with an intense look on his face and frowned before catching Mike watching them too. She looked from one to the other before walking over to Roman.

“Hey.” Toby greeted her immediately.

“It won’t work.” Ella snapped out looking at Roman.

“Well there is no chance of surprising you for Christmas if that is your attitude.” Roman shot out.

Ella glared at him as he turned and walked away from her.

“That isn’t going to work either.” Ella bit out.

“So things are ok?” Toby asked her.

“Fine.” Ella muttered. “Just bleeding well fine. I’m going to go get drunk.” She added walking away from him and leaving him standing there with his mouth open. He turned and looked over at Mike as the other man walked up to him and handed him a beer.

“Roman tell you his plan?” he asked quietly.

Toby nodded.

“It’s not going to work is it?”

Mike gave him a look a smirk on his face.

“What do you think, mate?” he asked.

Toby laughed looking over at Roman sorting out the food and Ella sitting at the bar with a bottle of vodka in front of her.

“So is this usual for a Christmas?” he asked Mike.

Mike shook his head and took a long drink of his beer.

“Not until someone gives birth, there is a fistfight and someone gets kidnapped.” He explained.

Toby laughed again clapping his hand on Mike’s shoulder.

“What are you two gossiping about?” Danni asked walking over to them with Gabby and Brett following behind her.

“Where is that brat of yours?” Toby asked.

“Jennie is so not a brat.” Danni told him grinning. “I’m sure she’ll tell you herself when she hears what her uncle is saying about her.”

“Oh so she precocious.” Toby said before leaning over and kissing Danni on her cheek. “Hello sister.” He added.

Danni smiled and reached out hugging him.

“Good to have you home.” She told him. “Although I am looking forward to coming to stay with you.”

Toby nodded.

“I’m going to show you all the best sights. Take you surfing.” He promised.

“Be like a holiday.” Danni said softly looking over at Mike. The shadow of worry still dimmed her gaze and he frowned before forcing his face to relax into a smile and he leaned down and kissed her.

“Yeah, it will be good.” He admitted.”

“Not liking being out of the action?” Brett asked him.

Mike shook his head quickly before catching Danni giggling at him.

“Hey woman.” He muttered.

“You actually pouted.” She told him. “And anyway, we need you to help protect us poor women and children when the others are off playing soldiers.”

Brett laughed at the expression that crossed Mike’s face before all of them laughed.

“Have you told the olds about you two yet?” Toby asked Gabby.

She immediately looked at Brett as she shook her head.

“It doesn’t feel right.” She said slowly. “I’ve been in touch with Jacob trying to arrange a divorce but it’s hard to contact him.”

“So it is serious?” Mike asked her.

Brett and Gabby looked at each other before looking up and over at the other three as they laughed once more.

“That isn’t funny.” Gabby muttered at Mike.

“Come on lets leave these men alone and go see Ella.” Danni said to her. “I think she needs us.”

Mike reached out and touched Danni’s arm.

“Leave them alone tonight.” He said quickly. “They have to sort things out themselves.” He cautioned.

Toby grinned and put his arm around Mike’s shoulders.

“We need to get this man a drink, he’s gone all philosopher on us.” He said making the others laugh.

“Danni?” Mike murmured.

“I’ve got Jennie.” She told him.

He nodded and let Toby and Brett lead him over to the bar.

“What can I get you?” Georgie asked Toby sounding like a real bartender.

“We’ll have three beers and some whisky chasers.” Toby announced. “And get one for yourself.”

“Tobias.” Ella murmured looking over at her son.

He grinned.

“Come on he’s old enough isn’t he?”

Georgie looked imploringly at his mother.

“You and Sammy can have a shandy.” She told them. “A little bit of beer and a lot of lemonade.”

Sammy grinned and began making the drinks while Georgie got the beers and whisky for his the others.

“Thanks mum.” Georgie murmured after a minute.

“Does this mean the girls can have a drink?” Sammy asked.

Ella rolled her eyes.

“Great, I’ve got a family of alcoholics.” She muttered. “They can white wine spritzers.”

“Mum?” Georgie asked.

“It’s a little white wine and soda or lemonade.” Ella explained to him.

Sammy looked at Georgie before they worked on the drinks and then took them over to Sophie and Meggy. Sammy ran back and made another one taking that over to Angel.

“I trust she asked permission for that?” Ella asked Sammy when he came back over to collect his drink.

“She did.” Georgie answered for his brother.

Ella smiled at him before she got up and walked over to where Nic and Belle were seated.

“Hello Step mother, I see that you’ve started on the vodka.” Nic called out.

“Started and intend to finish.” Ella told her. “Do you have a comment my daughter, considering of course that you and Belle have finished two bottles of wine already.”

Nic shook her head.

“We were looking at the swimming pool actually and thinking it would be nice for a swim.”

Irene shook her head at the girl.

“You are crazy.” She told her.

“Why what did she say?” Ella asked Irene.

“Oh they were daring each other about jumping into the pool.” Irene said.

Ella giggled and handed over her glass to her father before she stood and ran along the grass to the end of the garden. She vaulted over the fence at the back and ran around the pool before running up to the edge.

“Oh my god!” Nic exclaimed standing up and looking over at her.

“Cowabunga!” Ella cried as she jumped and landed in the pool water splashing everywhere.

“Elizabeth Harris.” Roman shouted out as the kids ran down the garden. He groaned as they began jumping in the pool too followed by Nic and Belle.

“Can’t beat them.” Aden said.

“Join them.” Geoff finished running down the garden with Aden and the two of them jumping noisily into the pool with everyone else.

Roman looked at them splashing around in the pool and groaned.

“Lily don’t you dare.” He cried out when his daughter started heading there too.

“Why Dada?” she asked in a sweet voice.

He shook his head at her and she pouted walking over to him, Liam and Mira following behind.

“Big kids playing.” He said a note in his voice.

“Is this a bad time?” Miles asked walking around the back of the house towards them with Millie and Leona.

“It depends.” Roman told him. “Whether you want to join in with the madness.”

Miles looked at Roman before looking down the garden. He grinned and handed Lee his phone and wallet before running down the garden and jumping in the pool himself.

Roman sighed before grabbing another beer for himself.

“What’s the matter Hardcore?” Jacko asked looking over at him. “Not joining in?”

Roman glared at the other man before he put his beer bottle down carefully and walked slowly down to the pool and looked at Ella in the middle having fun with the kids and he sighed before running over to the pool and jumping in himself.

“Daddy!” Nic cried out when he splashed her before turning and dunking Aden.

“Hey!” Aden spluttered when he surfaced. “You are going to pay for that one old man.”

Geoff laughed before he felt someone grab his ankle underwater and tug him down.

“Yuk!” he cried out when he surfaced and looked around. He saw his daughter coming to the surface and looking at him. “You are grounded.” He told her as she giggled at him.

“Gottya Daddy.” She cried out.

Robbie laughed at him before groaning and trying to swim away in the crowded pool as Geoff went after his son.

Roman turned and looked for Ella, seeing her with Meggy and Sophie. He made his way to them having to tread water when he got there.

“Ella.” He called quietly. “Is this any kind of example to set your children?”

She turned and glared at him groaning when he pulled her down under the water. He laughed when she surfaced gasping.

“You…” she muttered cutting off the word she was going to call him.

He grinned unmercifully at her.

“Excuse me but don’t some of you have presents to unwrap?” George asked looking at them.

Ella turned and looked at her father standing at the side of the pool with a bunch of towels in his outstretched arms.

“Ok Daddy.” She said sounding like a teenager.

Roman grinned at that before he swam to the edge of the pool and climbed out. He turned and looked down before stretching his hand out to Ella hiding his smile as she accepted his help to get out of the pool. He gave her a grin before pulling her close and kissing her, hearing cat calls coming from the pool as he held her.

“Quit it.” She gasped blushing as she looked at him.

Roman smiled as he led her over to her Dad and handed her a towel.

“Mama noorties.” Lily called out.

Ella looked at Roman and saw him still smiling as he grabbed a towel for himself.

“Did Lily girl want to swims?” Ella called softly.

Lily nodded.

“But you know when it’s grown ups that you might get lost in the pool.” She told her daughter going over to her and kneeling down in front of her. “Anyway, we are opening our Christmas eve present now.”

Lily grinned at her before she turned and ran over to the other babies.

“Enjoy that Ma.” Mike called out.

She eased up and nodded at him as she padded down the garden and into the house. She was very aware that Roman was right behind her as they moved through the house and up the stairs to their room. She went into the en suite and peeled off her clothes leaving them in a soggy heap in the bathtub gasping when she saw Roman behind her. He took off his clothes and added them to the top before stepping over to the shower and turning it on.

Ella looked at him before nodding and stepping inside making sure there was room for him underneath the hot spray.

He pulled her into his arms and just held her the water cascading over their bodies.

“I’m sorry.” They said at the same time before laughing.

Roman eased back and reached for the sponge pouring his shower gel over it before he began soaping her body. He heard her sigh and grinned before leaning down and kissing her.

“We don’t have time Mister.” She murmured looking up and seeing his passionate gaze.

“I haven’t seen any presents under the tree from you.” He said softly after a moment.

“You know we don’t do presents.” She said to him looking at him from under her lashes. She hid her smile at his disappointed expression before he adopted a neutral expression. She snagged the sponge from his hand and rinsed it before adding more gel and beginning to wash him. She giggled at the sigh he let out before gasping when he reached out and pinched her behind.

“Watch it mister.” She gasped out.

He laughed and then groaned as she threw the sponge in his face and moved out of the shower. She wrapped herself in a fresh towel before padding into the bedroom. Roman joined her after a minute and they dressed quickly before heading out and down the stairs finding most of the kids gathered around the tree.

Ella immediately went over to where August and Fleur were sitting and sat with them smiling as they pointed to the tree.

“Want to choose one?” she asked them.

“Nella choose?” August asked pointing to Daniella sitting with Gabby over the room.

Gabby chuckled and looking at her daughter she grinned.

“Is that you?” she asked her. “Are you Nella?”

Daniella nodded.

“Gust calls me.” She lisped.

“Off you go then and choose a present.” Gabby lowered her to the floor smiling as she toddled over to where the twins were seated.

“Mama me too?” Lily asked pouting.

“You too, squeals.” Ella answered hearing Lily giggle before she ran over to her and climbed into her lap.

“I think Georgie should be first.” Roman interrupted them.

Ella looked over at him and nodded.

“Here?” she said picking up the box and handed that to Roman.

He pressed a quick kiss to her cheek before giving the box to Georgie.

“Ok this is awkward.” Georgie muttered as he stood and took the box. “What happens if I don’t like it? Everyone watching.”

“Dude.” Sammy called. “Get on with it.”

He began to tear off the wrapping slowly seeing the print on the box he gasped and moved quicker ripping it off.

“Wow.” He muttered looking at the camera in the box. “Just wow.”

“It’s all set up.” Ella said to her son. “Why don’t you take some shots of us?”

He nodded as he took the camera out of the box and looked through the lens.

“Wow.” He said again.

“Your Mum is going to take you out and show you how to get the best from it.” Roman told him quietly.

“Thank you.” Georgie told them grinning as he inspected the camera.

Ella smiled at her son before helping August reach for a present, then Fleur before Lily and Daniella. Meggy brought over Liam to them and sat with her mother helping the babies with their gifts.

Georgie lifted the camera to his eye and took some snaps of them catching his mum give him an encouraging smile before he caught Sophie grinning at him. Without thinking he turned and shot a picture of her hearing her groan at him.

“Mum did you have to?” Sophie muttered.

Ella chuckled before reaching for the small box that Roman had gotten her. She caught him grinning before he moved to her side and sat down with her.

“Am I going to like this?” she asked him.

“Maybe.” He murmured.

She pealed off the paper slowly before opening the jewellery box and gasping.

“Roman.” She cried out.

Looking inside she picked up the silver charm bracelet he’d brought her and gasped again. There were letter charms for each of the kids and a camera and a book and a pram, which she grinned at before touching her finger to a miniature surfboard.

“You are in trouble Mister.” She muttered before holding her wrist out to him.

He smiled and took the bracelet from her before placing it on her wrist.

“Does this mean we get diamonds?” Nic asked quickly.

Roman gave her a glare ignoring the chuckle from Aden.

“Ok?” he asked testing the catch.

Ella nodded before leaning over and kissing him.

“Thank you.” She murmured.

“now then where are my presents?” he asked her.

“We talked about it and since you are still dead you didn’t need any.” Ella told him.

“Right give me the bracelet back.” He muttered giving her a look.

“Not the pretty dada.” Lily said frowning at him.

“Lily.” He cried out.

She looked up at him and pouted.

“Me likes.” She announced.

Nicole looked at her Dad and laughed at the look on his face.

Chapter 84

“Roman, come to bed.” Ella muttered rolling over and blinking from the sudden influx of light into her eyes. He’d put the main light on and not his bedside lamp and was now looking in the wardrobe. She couldn’t decide if it was the clutter of hangers that woke her or the muttered swearing. “What are you looking for anyway?”

He turned and gave her a look placing his hands on his hips as he did so.

“My Christmas presents.” He told her. “The dead business is starting to annoy me.”

“Ah!” Ella murmured smiling. “Won’t find any in there.” She murmured rolling over and pulling the cover over her head.

“Thanks, I had worked that one out myself.” He mumbled shutting the wardrobe noisily.

“Good.” Ella mumbled back, her voice muffled by the cover over her head.

“So do you think you can tell me where they are?” he asked her.

He looked over at her snuggled under the covers and groaned when she made a movement that looked suspiciously like she was shaking her head.

Reaching down he grabbed hold of the cover and dragged it down.

“What was that?” he asked.

“I said no.” she told him laughing as she tugged on the cover.

He climbed on the bed and crawled up towards her yanking back the cover and looking into her face.

“So where is my stocking?” he asked her referring to the Christmas stocking she gave everyone each year.

“Dead remember.” She told him laughing.

“That is not funny anymore.” He muttered pouting. “I want…”

Ella giggled and looked at him.

“You want what?” she asked biting her bottom lip.

“Ouh you witch.” He murmured.

He lifted his finger to her lips tracing the outline before lowering his head and kissing her.

“Have you noticed what I’m wearing?” she asked him.

He eased back and looked down at her taking in the pale pink babydoll nightdress and underneath it a small triangle of material covering her.

“I have now.” He confessed. “And it’s very nice.”

“But?” Ella asked giggling.

“It’s still not my Christmas present.” He told her.

“Oh really?” Ella asked back a note entering her voice. “So you think I dress like this all the time?”

He grinned before kissing her.

“Not all the time.” He admitted. “Just enough to drive me crazy on occasion.”

Ella giggled once more before leaning up on one arm and running her hand down his bare chest.

“So what are you waiting for?”

“Hang on!” Roman muttered pulling back and looking at her. “Did you put the stockings out?”

Ella nodded.

“Dressed like that?” he growled out.

She giggled once more and leaned up kissing him.

“No, of course not.” She murmured.

“Good.” He muttered still sounding jealous.

“I was naked.”

“Ella Harris.” He roared.

“I can’t believe that you are jealous.” She murmured laughing.

“And don’t you enjoy teasing me about it.” He replied frowning at her.

She gave him a look and reached up putting her hands around his neck to pull his head towards her only to frown when he resisted.

“What’s the matter?” she asked him.

“Well let’s see, first you are teasing me about being dead and then picking on me because I get jealous. I’m not feeling the love right now.” He said to her.

Ella released him and moved off the bed heading over to the en suite. He watched her go before standing up from the bed himself and shaking out the covers and switching on his bedside lamp before making sure the overhead light was switched off and he climbed back into the bed.

Ella came out after a moment and looked at him laying the bed and sighed. He was acting like, well like Lily when she didn’t get her own way. He could forget about this little outfit she was wearing he wouldn’t be seeing it any time soon.

“Fine.” She muttered. “Follow me.”

She pulled on her dressing gown and stormed out of the bedroom.

He sat up in the bed and swore before swinging his legs over the side of the bed and standing he rubbed his eyes and walked out of the room. He saw the downstairs light on and muttering under his breath he moved through into the lounge.

“What?” he asked folding his arms across himself and looking over at her as she routed around under the tree. She came out after a minute and handed him a small rectangular box.

He looked at her as he undid the ribbon and then looked inside. A set of keys lay on a velvet cushion.

“The kids thought it would be ‘symbolic’ to give you your house keys back.” She muttered. “And well the spare key on there is to that.” She said gesturing outside.

He gave her a look before moving over to the window and looking out on the car parked just outside a large gift ribbon on the bonnet.

“You got me a car?” he asked her slowly.

“A bit big to wrap wouldn’t you say? And now I’m going to bed.” She added moving to the stairs.

He made to follow her only to stop when he saw her standing on the stairs.

“Don’t bother. You can sleep down here.” She muttered.

“El,” he sighed.

“No.” she held up her hand. “You spoiled my Christmas enough don’t you think?” she asked before walking up the rest of the stairs and into the bedroom.

He watched her go before placing the small gift box on the side and heading into the kitchen. It took a couple of minutes to dish up a portion of toffee cheesecake and he sighed before adding extra cream. He walked slowly up the stairs and into the bedroom stopping when he saw the very sexy nightie she had been wearing thrown into a ball across the room.

“Oh.” He said.

“Yeah and if you think you’re getting in here anytime soon you’ll be joining it.” She told him from under the covers.

He moved to the bed and sat down beside her before placing the bowl on the bedside cabinet.

“Right.” He murmured. “Sit up.”

“Roman leave me alone, seriously.”

“Elizabeth.” He said and grinned as she shot up.

“You pig.” She muttered seeing his expression.

“Here.” He murmured picking up the bowl and placing her hands around it before he kissed her.

“This isn’t going to change anything.” She told him quickly.

“I’m still looking for my stocking.” He explained. “Where is it?”

Ella narrowed her eyes as she looked at him.

“I can’t believe you.” She said thrusting the bowl at him and laying back down in the bed.

Roman was forced to accept the bowl to stop the contents spilling over the bed and placed it carefully on the cabinet. He stood up and peeled back the covers before sliding into the bed beside her.

“Fine.” He murmured. “Get some sleep.”

“Not with you.” Ella shot back. “I don’t want to sleep with you.”

“Then you sleep on the sofa.”

“Oh you are making this Christmas memorable.” She shot out.

“And you are overreacting.” He said back.

Ella sucked in a breath and moved away from him in the bed. In that one moment she hater that at some point during the night they would move together until he put his arms around her and they’d snuggle.

Roman looked at her in the bed, more importantly how she seemed to be clutching the side of the bed.

“Go to sleep El.” He said softly. “Kids will be awake before we know it.”

He moved closer and reached out cautiously stroking her back gently. He heard her sigh before she relaxed slowly against him and then after what seemed an eternity she moved in the bed and let him put his arms around her. He sighed himself before kissing the curve of her shoulder and closing his eyes ready for sleep.

“Still want to know where your stocking is?” she asked him and felt him nod before he could stop himself.

“Hey.” He muttered as he heard her soft laughter.

“The kids did it for you this year.” She murmured. “You’ll get it tomorrow, well later today.”

“And I was hoping for more sex toys.” He whispered huskily against the back of her neck.

“Oh you.” She muttered tugging away from him.

He laughed and responded pulling her close to him.

“Love you Ella Harris, you always make things amazing.”

“Uh huh.” She murmured before yawning. “Jus’ saying that to stop me makin’you sleep on the sofa.”

“True.” He said sighing as she turned in his arms and snuggled closer resting her head on his shoulder and he loved her even more for that.

Chapter 85

Roman rolled over coming awake slowly. His gaze went around the room and he sighed on seeing he was alone. He sat up and smirked immediately seeing the empty bowl on the bedside cabinet. He’d dreamt that someone was eating and well, that they’d also told him to shut up. He grinned and swung his legs over the side of the bed and raced through to the bathroom grabbing a record breaking shower before dressing and heading down the stairs. He found Ella in the lounge with the babies, August and Fleur and he moved over to them.

“Hey.” He murmured leaning down and kissing her. “Where is everyone else?”

Ella grinned.

“I sent them to wake everyone else up.” She grinned up at him before easing away from the twins and moving through to the kitchen.

He followed her and saw that breakfast was ready to go along with the vegetables already prepared for the lunch.

“You’ve been busy.” He commented as she poured out a cup of coffee for him.

“I need to disappear for a while.” She told him. “I want to …” she stopped and looked at him.

“Ok,” Roman murmured stepping closer to her.

He took a drink of coffee before putting the cup down and pulling her into his arms.

“What’s this?” she asked.

“You look worried.” He murmured. “And it’s Christmas day which you won’t miss no matter what so obviously it’s something important.”

Ella gave out a half sob as she clutched at him.

“Do you want me to come with you?” he asked quietly and felt her shake her head. “Ok.”

“So anyway, “ Ella mumbled. “As soon as breakfast is over I’ll shoot off. I shouldn’t be long.”

“Make sure you have your phone.” He murmured. “Oh and I put my “present” back last night so the kids can surprise me with it.”

Ella lifted her head and looked at him.

“Yeah, ‘cause I’d forgotten about that.” She muttered.

He gave her a little boy grin and she glared back at him.

“Go cook something.” She muttered and walked back over to the twins. She saw that they were now sitting in front of the tree with presents on their laps.

“Now what are you up to?” Ella murmured sitting with them. “Are you wanting to open presents?”

August nodded.

“Yesssss.” Fleur lisped.

“Now we only open one present at breakfast.” Ella told them.

“Is one?” Fleur asked.

“Does it have your name on?” Ella said softly.

She didn’t have to turn her head to know that Roman was watching her or that he would have a smile on his face.

Fleur nodded holding up the package.

“That says Sammy.” Ella told her watching as Fleur frowned and looked at it. “Perhaps you want to ask Daddy to help you find one?”

Fleur turned and looked up.

“Dada?” she asked in a sweet voice.

Roman chuckled and moved to sit next to them pressing a quick kiss to Ella before he dived in the pile of presents and reached for one with Fleur’s name on. He held that out to her.

“Me’sss?” Fleur asked.

“Yes baby this one is for you.” Roman told her quietly. “See, Fleur.” He explained touching his finger to the label with her name on.

“Me too Dada.” August asked quickly.

“Let’s see whose name is on that one first?” Ella asked softly.

August held out the package for Ella to look at it.

“Well that one has your name on see.” Ella told her pointing to the label.

“For me’ss?” she asked softly.

Roman nodded.

“Mama too.” Fleur told her.

“Mama will open her presents later.” Ella said looking up as Brett ran in through the back after Lily.

“Well morning.” Roman drawled.

“Dada.” Lily cried.

“I hope you knocked when you woke everybody up Lily girl?” Ella asked her daughter distracting her.

Lily nodded.

“Me knocks.” She lisped.

“Now is it my imagination or does she lisp when she’s been doing something she shouldn’t?” Roman asked quietly.

Ella nodded and reached for her daughter.

“Come here and leave Brett to get some breakfast.” She told her.

“Gabby.” Lily began.

“Me’ss got present.” August called out showing her.

Lily moved to the tree forgetting what she was going to say and began looking at presents.

Ella stood and looked at a pale looking Brett giving him a smile.

“Juice?” she asked.

Brett nodded.

“Roman cooking breakfast?” Brett choked out.

“Of course.” Roman told him standing up and moving back into the kitchen. He returned a moment later placing a plate of toast on the table.

Ella smiled and saw Lily watching as the food was delivered.

“Hey.” Gabby called out coming in through the back leading Daniella.

“Hey.” Ella said moving to the table and handing Brett a glass of juice.

Gabby blushed and looked at Brett who shrugged his shoulders at her before looking at Lily.

“Nella.” Fleur called out interrupting the sudden tense moment.

Daniella giggled and ran over to the other babies.

“Ella, look at this.” Roman called out from the kitchen.

Ella walked over to him and sighed when he placed his arm around her and pointed down the garden. Liam was walking Kai up to the house, holding his hand tightly.

“Ah that is sweet.” Ella murmured before turning and looking up at Roman her eyes lighting up.

Roman nodded before turning and catching her looking at him.

“Ella no.” he cried out.

“But he’s surrounded by girls.” She said softly.

“Yeah,” he murmured feeling her hand stroking down his back. “Oh that isn’t going to work.” He muttered giving her a look.

“Mama.” August called out.

“Your daughter is calling.” Roman said ignoring the look in Ella’s eyes.

“Fine but when he starts wearing girls clothes it will be your fault for not wanting to give him a brother.” Ella snapped and moved through to the lounge.

Roman shook his head and picked out his phone snapping a picture of his son and wait, his great-grandson, he worked out with a gulp and grinned. If his wife really were getting broody he wouldn’t be sleeping on the sofa tonight, before focusing on cooking again. He placed food on the table smiling, as the room seemed to fill with people.

“Daddy!” Nic cried out running up to him and hugging him.

“Nicole.” Roman said cautiously.

“Thank you Daddy.” She told him meekly.

“Thank me for what exactly Nicole?” he was forced to ask.

“The tickets.”

“Tickets?” he said easing away from his clinging daughter and looking over at Ella.

“You said no jewellery.” She murmured at his look.

“I see this is going to be ….” Roman began stopping when Aden came up to him and patted him on the back and reaching out to shake his hand.

“Thanks, er Dad.” Aden said gruffly.

“Ok.” Roman said pulling his hand away from Aden before placing both hands on Nicole’s shoulders and pushing his daughter back gently. “Elizabeth Louise Laura Addison Harris.” He growled.

“Full name shout.” Sammy muttered to Mike across the room.

Mike nodded.

“And he threw in the Addison bit.” He pointed out.

“That mean anything?” Toby asked sitting with them.

“Divorce usually.” Georgie added to the conversation sitting with them.

Roman looked at them before looking at his wife.

“Oh dear,” he began.

“See, it’s started.” Georgie murmured to Toby. “Before you know it you’ll be spending weekends with one or the other.”

Ella looked up at Roman from her seat near the twins and pressed her lips together to stop herself from laughing.

“But he used an endearment.” Toby pointed out.

Sammy nodded knowledgably.

“That’s usually a sign that there is going to be shouting. He’ll fold his arms in a minute.”

“Who do you want to live with?” Georgie asked Toby. “Mum is pretty good but well Dad cooks.”

Toby shook his head before looking over at Roman.

“That isn’t funny.” Roman told them glaring at his sons before looking back to Ella. “Now dear, what did we buy them if we didn’t buy them jewellery?” he asked in a saccharine tone of voice.

“Sweetheart,” Ella murmured softly biting her lip and looking up at him imploringly. “We.” She stressed. “bought them tickets to go on holiday.”

“Disneyland Paris.” Nic cried out excitedly.

“Really?” Sammy gasped looking at his Mum.

“Don’t even think it Samson.” Ella said without looking at her son.

“You are in so much trouble Mrs Harris.” Roman promised.

Ella looked up at him and smiled.

“In that case perhaps they should open their next gifts.” She said softly.

Roman growled and moved over to her lifting her off the floor and kissing her.

“So what was that ba …” he began to ask sighing when Ella wound her arms around him and kissed him into silence.

“Shh!” she said urgently.

“Really?” he said.

She nodded.

“Ok.”

“And any translation of that would be welcome.” Toby said.

Roman and Ella laughed at their son.

“So anyway, do we get our breakfast presents?” Nic asked quickly.

Roman groaned at his daughter before smiling as she grinned back at him and did her best to look innocent.

“Bible boy I haven’t seen that look since before you two got married.” Aden commented to Geoff watching as the other man shaking his head.

“You’d be surprised at some of her expressions.” Geoff commented chuckling as Nic automatically blushed.

“Here.” Ella said holding out an envelope to Nic. She copied the action with Aden and smiled at them both as they moved over to Geoff and Belle before they opened them.

“London.” Nic gasped. “This is too much.”

“Paris, Rome.” Aden said. “Rome again.” He murmured and blushed as Belle giggled at him.

“Now that must be a story.” Geoff commented.

“Ask my husband about the Italian waiter.” Belle instructed them and they laughed as Aden groaned. “This is an amazing trip and you’ve included all the kids. Thank you Ella, and of course you Roman.”

Ella smiled up at Roman and he nodded.

“Now if everyone is sorted for presents.” Ella said beginning to ease out of the room.

“Wait.” Roman murmured. “Now?”

“Well I don’t know. It’s pretty big.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard that before.” Roman said quickly, grinning as Ella blushed.

“Go on then.” she told him.

“Sammy can you go into the garage. You’ll find one of your presents in there.”

Sammy’s mouth dropped open and he hastily put his half eaten toast on his plate before standing.

“But…” he gasped.

“Go on.” Georgie encouraged.

Sammy nodded and placed his plate on the table before moving out of the front of the house and over to the garage. Everybody was following him as he moved into the garage through the open door. He saw the wrapped shape immediately and giggled.

“Is that for me?” he asked running over to it and stroking his hand down it.

Roman nodded.

“Go on Sammy.” Meggy called out.

He gave her a grin and began ripping off the wrapping paper from his present to reveal the pale yellow surfboard underneath.

“Wow.” He said quietly. “Wow wow wow.” He murmured before bursting into tears.

“Hey Samson.” Mike called stepping forward. “We’ll be able to go out together for a surf.”

Sammy nodded wiping at his tears.

“Yeah bruv.” Toby added. “It’s going to be great. Maybe we can go tomorrow?”

Sammy looked at them before he look shyly at his Dad.

“Will you…” he began to ask before clearing his throat. “Will you come with me?” he finished.

Roman nodded swallowing the lump in his throat and felt Ella touching his back softly before she gave him a little push forward.

“That would be cool Samson.” He said to his son before Sammy launched himself inot his arms.

Ella smiled at them before tapping Meggy on her shoulder and pointing.

Meggy gave her a puzzled look before spotting the second gift wrapped surfboard.

“Me?” she squeaked out excitedly.

Ella nodded and chuckled as her daughter ran over to it and ripped off the wrapping.

“Cool.” She squeaked.

Mike chuckled.

“So that is both off you coming out tomorrow?” he asked.

“We all can.” Roman said cutting over their chatter. “You too, Ella Harris.”

She started at mention of her name and looked at him before smiling.

“Ok, I’m going to disappear for a bit. Leave you lot sorting out breakfast.” She told them.

Roman nodded and walked with her to her car. He noticed a pile of gift wrapped itens sitting in the back and gave her a questioning look.

“See you soon.” He told her before kissing her and moving away. He watched her go before heading into the house and closing the door. He heard Sammy telling everyone about his surfboard and smiled as he moved into the room.

“Your wife is very sneaky.” Jacko commented.

“I know that.” Roman murmured looking at the other man. “But what makes you say that?”

“Buying them tickets so that they are out of the country for four weeks.” Jacko murmured.

Roman looked at him and then laughed.

“She isn’t sneaky, she’s downright devious. Why the hell didn’t Michael warn us?”

Jacko shrugged.

“P’raps he were getting his own back on you for all those missions you “volunteered” us for.” Pete supplied from behind them.

Roman chuckled.

“Do I detect a note of hostility Gentlemen?” he asked.

“Maybe.” Jacko said grinning. “Perhaps if that bottle of malt in the kitchen cupboard were to make it’s way out today we could forgive you.”

Roman laughed and moved into the kitchen and after going into the pantry returned with two gift-wrapped bottles and handed them out.

“Better?” he asked.

“Just a little.” Jacko said.

“Yeah, we’ll let you know later.” Pete added.

Miles looked at them from across the room and stood walking towards them.

“Ut hum?” he lifted his hand to his mouth and coughed.

“Fine.” Roman said disappearing the way he’d been and returning a second later with another bottle. He handed that to Miles. “Finished making me feel guilty?”

“No.” Miles told him shaking his head. “Not at all.”

Roman groaned and the four men laughed together.

Chapter 86

Ella checked the Sat Nav before looking at the slip of paper again and slowed the car searching for house numbers. Finally she stopped the car and doubled checked the address before climbing out and reaching for her handbag. Looking at the house she saw a small neat looking house that had a certain charm about it despite the peeling paint and the trimmed but slightly unkempt grass. Walking up the small pathway she stepped on to the veranda and knocked quickly on the door.

“Oh it’s you.” The woman greeted her. “He’s not here.”

“Where is he?” Ella asked quickly looking past her to the children inside the house. She saw a few decorations around the place and a pile of discarded wrapping paper.

“They took him back to the home.” The woman muttered taking a cigarette out of a packet and lighting it up. She stepped forward and let the door shut behind her, “He never settled here.”

Ella nodded.

“Fine, thank you for your time.” She said slowly.

“You ain’t going to get him back you know. Not with what she did to ya.” The woman announced suddenly. “I ‘eard ‘em talking ‘bout it.”

Ella nodded.

“I’ll get him back,” she said suddenly. “He belongs with me.”

“Good luck to ya, Mrs.” The woman said flicking her ash on to the garden.

Ella nodded again and walked back to the car. She had to take some deep breaths to steady her shaking hands before she could put the keys in the ignition. As soon as she started the car she felt herself getting angry at the situation.

By the time she reached the home she was really mad and she had been gone over an hour. If she’d checked her phone she would have seen messages and missed calls from Roman and that would have calmed her down. She parked up and climbed out of the car and stretched before waking into the building and up to the front desk. Despite the light blue paint on the walls the building felt oppressive. Looking round she found the bell to ring for service and pressed it and barely giving anyone the chance to respond she pressed it again.

“Hello?” a voice called out from the back office. “With you in a moment.”

Ella let out a breath slowly between her pressed lip s and folded her arms across herself and began tapping her foot.

“Now then what can I do for you?” the woman asked coming out of the office.

“You can tell me why I wasn’t notified that Marcus Holden had been taken out of his foster home.” Ella snapped out. “Considering that I’m still in the process of trying to have him live with us again.”

“Ah, you must be Mrs Harris.”

“I must be.” Ella muttered.

“Quite frankly Mrs Harris, it is your continued presence in his life that is unsettling him.” The woman told her bluntly.

“That’s an interesting point considering that you’ve had him in four different foster homes in the past year alone. He was a withdrawn little boy before you came into our home and removed him.” Ella bit out. “Now lets discuss the real reason that you won’t let him live with us?” she added in the same tone. “His mother was responsible for my husbands business burning down and on top of that she was an accessory to the kidnap of my newborn twins.”

The other woman looked at her from across the counter without commenting.

“So you believe that in some way I’m going to punish him for his mother’s crimes.” Ella continued. “Yet you are aware that he lived with us before and after that situation came to light with no drama. So tell me again why, especially as I’ve undergone the necessary checks to become a foster parent that you will not let him live with us.”

“You are a single parent.” The woman began.

“Not a good enough excuse considering that the last foster home you sent him too also had a single parent in charge.” Ella snapped. “Next excuse?”

“You have how many children already?” the woman asked folding her arms across her chest and looking at Ella.

“You already know the answer to that question. You’ve interviewed them. Has a single one of my children suffered from neglect?” Ella muttered.

“I recall at the time of Marcus’ moving in here that you were physically unfit to take care of them and had to call on your step mother to assist you.”

“I had just been shot.”

“By the man that Martha Holden was having a relationship with.”

Ella could feel the walls closing in on her and her anger growing.

“You know what I really hate Martha for?” she snapped out. “Not hooking up with William Gardiner but sleeping with my husband. Which you’ll find happened around seven years ago.”

“What are you trying to say Mrs Harris?” The woman stepped back.

“That you are keeping that boy from his natural family.” Ella snapped. “We have a DNA test to prove it.”

“That puts things in a different light but it still doesn’t change certain facts.”

“What about if my husband were alive?” Ella asked her running a hand through her hair. “Would you release Marcus into his care?”

“We would consider it.” Ella was told. “But that is a mute point considering that your husband is dead.”

Ella nodded.

“Not that dead.” Ella began. “He was relocated into witness protection for his own safety. Now if you don’t mind please go get Marcus.”

“Look Mrs Harris.”

“I’m tired of this.” Ella snapped out. “You’d rather put that little boy through hell then let me take him so that he can grow up with brothers and sisters in a stable loving home. Do I have to contact the media and kick up a fuss about how you won’t release that little boy into the custody of his family despite a year of us asking for that.”

The woman looked at her about to say something when Ella interrupted.

“It’s Christmas day, think about that little boy in there, his mother is in jail and we’re begging you to let him home with us. He deserves to be taken care of and loved. We can do that.” She cried out looking at the other woman with an earnest expression on her face. “Please.”

“Let me makes some calls. His paternity raises the possibility that we can release him into your care.”

“Today?” Ella asked quickly.

“You are certainly pushy Mrs Harris.” The woman said giving Ella a look as though she wanted to call her something else before she moved back into the back office.

“Still can’t get hold of her?” Miles asked seeing Roman put his phone away.

“No and it’s not like her to miss Christmas Day.” Roman said, “We’re ready to start getting dinner sorted out and she’s not here.”

Miles gave him a sympathetic look before sipping from his glass. Roman had opened a bottle of malt for the men and champagne for the ladies. With non-alcoholic drinks for the non drinkers and the kids.

“Well we need to sort out the tables.” Miles told him.

“I’m always surprised that so many people managed to fit each year.” Roman told him with a grin.

“El went away last year.” Miles commented slowly.

Roman nodded.

“She told you?”

Roman stopped what he was doing and placed his hands flat on the top before turning to Miles.

“No.” he said slowly. “I checked on her.”

“Strewth, as Alf would say.” Miles swigged from his glass. “Talk about the ghost of Christmas past.”

Roman looked at him and before he could stop himself he began laughing.

“I suppose you can look on it like that.” He said when he’d sobered. “I needed to know that they were ok.”

Miles nodded.

“And when they weren’t here?”

“Whisky.” Roman said bluntly. “If you want to know how I got through the last year. I stayed drunk for most of it.”

“My god man, I didn’t know that there was that much whisky in the world.”

“Very funny Miles.” Roman groaned and the two men smiled at each other slipping back into the easy friendship they’d always had.

“Let’s sort tables.” Miles suggested.

Roman nodded and they got to work shifting around the furniture.

“I’ve spoken to my superiors and quite frankly they were appalled that you wanted to come here today and remove him from our care.”

Ella looked at the woman and waited.

“But if what you say is true, and on the basis that you’ve undergone the necessary checks we are prepared to release him to you.” The woman continued. “We will be in touch to collect a copy of the paperwork relating to his paternity.”

Elal nodded looking down for the briefest of moments before she starred at the other woman. The woman nodded once more and pressed a button. Minutes later the door opened and Marcus was brought out to her.

She remembered him as the shy clingy boy that had first come to her, a little pale and thin for his age which all changed when he’d become comfortable and secure in their care. Looking at him now he’d reverted to that first image of him and her heart broke. She blinked back tears that were a combination of happiness at seeing him and sadness at the way he seemed so lost.

“Hey.” She called out getting his attention and couldn’t help flinching when he looked at her and she saw a large discoloured bruise on his face.

“He was in a fight.” The woman told her quickly.

“Yeah, right.” Ella muttered before kneeling down and looking at Marcus. “Want to come home babes?”

Marcus nodded shyly.

“Come on then. Everyone will be stoked to see you.” Ella smiled at him and then gave a gasp when he pulled away from the woman who’d brought him out to her and ran over to her throwing himself into her arms.

“They took my DS.” He said quickly. “The one you got me for my birthday. I tried to stop them.”

Ella nodded.

“It’s ok.” She said to him. “I’m sure Sammy will let you use his.”

Marcus eased back and looked at her.

“I’m really going home?” he asked.

Ella nodded once more.

“And if we aren’t quick we’ll miss dinner.” She said softly. “Lots of cabbage and broccoli and spinach to eat.”

“yuk.” He said wrinkling his nose up before laughing.

Ella laughed too and picked him up before accepting his bag from the carer and beginning to walk out to her car.

“We’ll be in touch.” The woman told her.

Ella nodded before leaving the place without looking back. She tucked Marcus in the back seat and made sure he was strapped in before heading home. A glance at her watch convinced her that she should put her foot down a little despite her natural inclination not to speed with kids in the car. It still seemed to take ages before she pulled the car into the driveway. She sighed looking at Marcus sitting quietly in the back and wondered how she was going to explain to Roman what she had done to get the little boy home.

“We’re home.” She told him grinning as he chuckled.

He lifted his gaze to meet hers in the rear view mirror and looked at her with a sad expression on his face.

“What if Sammy has a new friend now?” he asked worriedly.

Ella giggled.

“He does.” She explained. “But it’s ok, it’s his new surfboard.”

Marcus looked at her before he slowly laughed.

Ella unclipped her seatbelt and climbed out of the car collecting her handbag before opening up the rear door. She helped him out and took hold of his hand before remembering the bag of presents on the back seat.

“I’ll send someone out for them.” She told Marcus pointing to them.

“I’ll carry them for you.” He offered immediately.

“That’s ok we’ll get them in a bit.”

She guided him to the door and opened it quietly stepping through. She could feel from her clasp on his hand that he was nervous and she gave him a quick grin before leading him into the room.

“Finally.” Roman said turning and looking at her. He stopped what he was going to say when Sammy ran across the room and hugged Marcus.

“Oh Sammy get spoiled.” Meggy cried out grinning. “Look he’s got another Christmas present.”

“Hey!” Marcus muttered grinning back at Meggy.

Suddenly she was deluged with kids hugging and kissing the little boy welcoming him home and her eyes filled with tears before she blinked them away and looked over at Roman.

“I need some help.” She said looking at Roman.

He nodded and moved out of the room following her out to her car.

“Ok?” he asked in shorthand.

“I lied to get him here.” Ella blurted out.

“How bad are we talking her Ella?” he asked her, part of him wanting to comfort her knowing she wouldn’t be happy with herself.

“I said that you were his biological father.” She told him biting her lip.

“Ok.” Roman said before opening the back door and getting out the two bags from the back. He looked at the smaller one and gave her a look. “Is this all his stuff?” he asked. “Didn’t we buy him things?”

Ella nodded.

“He’s been in four different foster homes.” Ella began her voice getting angry again.

Roman looked at her.

“Ok I can’t really hug you now I’m carrying stuff.” He said to her. “And well we’re all starving so we really are going to have to discuss this later, preferably with you wearing that pink thing you were wearing last night.”

Ella turned and looked at him before she muttered something and stormed inside. She stopped at the sight of Lily sitting on Marcus’ lap giving him her sweets and immediately bust into tears.

“Hey Step-mama.” Nic called out quickly coming over to her and holding her.

“Sorry.” Ella said trying to pull herself together.

“Where do these go?” Roman asked holding up the bag of presents and deflecting attention away from an emotional Ella.

“More presents?” Meggy asked quickly rushing over him.

“I’m not sure.” Roman said quietly. “Better check the name.”

Meggy nodded and reached into the bag taking one out. She read the label slowly before grinning and nodding at her dad. Turning she looked over at Marcus.

“Hey I think you should check this out?” She told him.

He gave her a startled look before easing away from Lily and walking over to them. Stopping he caught sight of the bag of presents and gasped.

“Does this mean we can open all our presents now?” Nic asked quickly.

Ella rolled her eyes and looked at Roman before nodding. She gave a gasp as Nic abruptly let go of her and dived under the tree.

“Nicole.” Leona gasped laughing.

“Oh you won’t change her.” Miles spoke softly to his fiancée. “She inherited his impatient gene.”

“Why did we invite them again?” Roman growled out walking over to Ella’s side.

“I thought you invited them.” Ella said slowly.

Roman smiled at her as he put his arm around her and led her over to the sofa to sit down.

“Want a drink Darl?” Irene asked.

“I’ll get it.” George offered standing up and moving to the kitchen. “What do you want?”

“Just a coke.” She said to him before looking at Roman. She saw him giving her a concerned look and she smiled slowly. “Just like wow, you know.” She explained softly.

He nodded understanding.

She smiled up at her Dad as he brought her over a drink.

“Thanks.” She murmured patting the seat beside her and smiling up as her Dad sat next to her. “Did you like your present Daddy?”

George chuckled.

“You were a busy bee last night putting out those stocking in everyone’s room.” He said to her.

“Luckily everybody was wearing pyjamas.” She said.

“What she get you?” Roman asked. “Because I still haven’t had my stocking yet.” Roman said loudly.

George held up his wrist so that Roman could see his new watch.

“Designer?” Roman asked rhetorically to Ella.

She smiled at him.

“Technically it’s useful and therefore not jewellery.” She pointed out.

“Mama?” Liam called out looking at the money suit.

“Yes babes?” Ella asked.

“Me no bunny?” he said to her.

“Bunny not big enough to fit you now you are getting to be my big boy.” Ella told her son quietly.

He looked at her and nodded.

“Kai bunny?” he asked.

Ella gave a little gaps before she moved off the sofa and over to her son. She picked him up and cuddled him.

“Of course he can if he wants?”

“Wants what?” Amy-Belle asked.

“Liam wants to know if Kai wants his bunny suit from the other Christmas.” Ella told her.

“Oh wow.” Amy-Belle smiled picking up her son and looking at him. “Want to be a bunny boy?”

“Me’s …” Liam stopped and looked at the playsuit. “Mama?” he asked holding it out to her.

“You’s a monkey.” Ella told him grinning.

“Me’s a monkey.” Liam called out to everyone, laughing.

Roman stood and moved into the kitchen and began sorting out the food.

“Now mama?” Liam asked.

“After dinner.” Ella promised him.

“Kai too?”

“We’ll see.” She murmured kissing him before sitting near the tree and look at the presents that were left. “Toby?” she called out.

Her tall son moved over to the tree and accepted the box from her.

“Thank you Mama.” He called softly.

“You’re welcome son.” She murmured grinning. “And stay away from Mike.”

Toby chuckled before ripping the paper from the box and revealing the jewellery box underneath. He grinned at the Tag Heuer watch.

“Wow.” He murmured. “Thanks.” He said again.

“It’s an antique.” Nic told him looking at it. “1940’s airman’s watch.”

Ella rolled her eyes and looked at her.

“1948 actually.” She told her.

Geoff laughed at the expression on Nic’s face.

“So what did you get me wife?” Roman muttered as he began putting serving dishes on the table.

“You mean you haven’t noticed?” Sammy blurted out.

“Noticed what?” Roman asked him.

Sophie and Meggy looked at one another and giggled.

“Girls.” Ella cautioned as she routed around for the gift box that she’d handed Roman last night.

“Here Mama?” Lily said pointing to a box.

Ella looked at the ribbon wrapped around it, and not tied, and her daughter.

“Lils?”

“Yesss Mama?” she lisped.

Roman shared a look with Ella and chuckled.

“Here.” Ella said handing over the box to him.

He looked at it and chuckled again knowing off course that it wasn’t like that when he put it back amongst the presents before he opened it.

“Er…” he murmured.

“Your keys Daddy.” Meggy told him explaining.

“Yeah,” Georgie said moving to stand near him. “Thought with you being home and everything.”

“Thank you,” Roman said gruffly looking round his kids. “What’s this one?” he added.

Sammy giggled again and pointed to the front of the house.

“That’s just a spare one.” Ella said quickly and heard her kids laughing.

“uh huh.” He murmured. “Anyway, dinner is served.”

“Finally.” Jacko and Miles chorused to a round of laughter as everyone began getting seated around the three put together tables.

Ella looked up at Roman before accepting his help up from the floor. She smiled as he pulled her close putting his arm around her before kissing her.

“Happy Christmas.” He told her softly.

Chapter 87

Ella sat with Roman on the sofa smiling as he woke up and looked at her.

“Tired?” she asked him.

He nodded as he put his arm around her.

“Everything sorted?” he asked referring to the kitchen where Ella had been cleaning down the tops and making sure everything was put away after their dinner.

“Yup, and everyone is out back.”

“Not everyone Mummy.” Meggy called out coming towards them with the other kids following behind; Georgie was holding something behind his back. “We have Daddy’s stocking here.”

Roman glanced at Ella before easing his arm out from behind her and leaning forward.

“Am I going to like this?” he asked giving them a look.

Sammy giggled before lapsing into silence when Meggy elbowed him.

“Megs.” Ella warned.

“Ok I’m ready.” He said sitting up.

Georgie moved the large bag from behind him and held it out to him. It was made up of an old pillowcase and had painting over it from all of the kids. There was glitter glue spelling out the word Daddy at the top and he smiled before accepting it.

“What do we have?” he asked looking at Ella.

She shrugged.

“Kids did it.” She told him running her hand down his back and smiling softly.

He took a deep breath and looked inside taking out the first tissue wrapped object and slowly took off the wrapping to reveal a small teddy bear wearing a camouflage jacket and a backpack and he chuckled thinking of Ella’s own travel bear.

“My own travel bear.” He said looking round them and grinning.

“Look Dada.” Lily told him pointing to it.

Roman frowned for a minute before he said the peace symbol patch on the jacket and the beads the teddy was wearing.

“It’s you.” Lily explained lisping.

He had to think for a moment before he remembered the photograph taken with him and Ella’s brother that long time ago.

“So it is Lily squeals.” He said to her and smiled before turning and kissing Ella. “Hey.” He whispered against her lips.

Ella eased back and lifted her hand to stroke his face smiling into his eyes.

“Told ya, kids see everything.” She murmured to him.

He nodded trying to swallow the lump in his throat.

“More Dada.” Liam called out noisily.

Roman turned to them and began to reach for something else when he saw Lily shake her head, her mouth pursed to say something else. He looked at her before turning the bear around and looking in the small backpack. He found an international calling card and laughed.

“So no matter where you are you can call home.” Sophie told him. “And you don’t even have to leave a number.” She added.

Roman felt Ella place her hand on his leg as he was about to say something and he stopped forcing himself to nod instead. He knew that the kids were telling him that if he had to go again he should at least let them know he was ok and he felt a range of emotions go through him, although most of them led to him feeling guilty. Turning back to the makeshift stocking he took out the next item and looked at it thoughtfully before tearing the wrapping off. He found that it was a blank hardback notebook and he looked at it before looking at the kids knowing there was an explanation for the gift.

“I read your diary, I know I wasn’t supposed to.” Sammy murmured looking at him mum. He saw her smile at him and continued. “It made you feel alive to me when I thought we’d lost you.”

“So we got you a book for you to start your diary again.” Georgie took over after Sammy stopped, sensing his brother was too emotional to continue.

“Yeah.” Meggy said. “Then after we found out you were alive but couldn’t come home Sammy told us stories about the things you did.”

“It helped us.” Sophie murmured. “We didn’t miss you so much.”

“You are our hero Daddy.” Sammy said softly. “You’ve always made the bad men go away and saved us.”

Roman nodded and looked down unable to speak past the lump in his throat. He forced back the tears and looked at the book before noticing something was tucked inside the pages.

“What’s this?” he asked, his voice husky sounding.

“Mama did.” Lily told him.

Ella looked puzzled for a moment before blushing.

“Er,” she muttered. “When I er.. sorted through your clothes I found stuff.” She tried to explain.

Roman gave her a look before he opened up the book and found Meggy’s hair ribbon. He stroked it slowly as he remembered.

A long ago day he’d been taking them to school, before Lily had even been thought of let alone born. He frowned as he remembered. It had been back when Ella was sick and he was trying to get everything around the house done along with looking after the kids and failing. That one day he’d only found one ribbon to tie in Meggy’s hair and ended up taking her two hastily constructed plaits and tying them together with the one ribbon. It had come out in the car and she’d looked up at him with her big eyes filling with tears because her hair wasn’t right, before giving him a smile and handed him the ribbon before thanking him for trying. She’d made him proud and humble and a whole lot of other things. He didn’t know why he’d kept the ribbon except that it was a reminder of how wonderful his daughter was.

Flicking through more of the pages he found the receipt for the engagement ring he’d gotten Ella and he chuckled before looking at her.

“Guess the secret is out.” He told her.

“Yeah and if you ever spend that much on me again I’ll do something nasty to you. You foolish man.” She grinned as she spoke before leaning forward and kissing him.

“It had to be special.” He said as he stroked down her arm and caught hold of her hand.

“Seriously?” she muttered. “You know I don’t need…”

Roman laughed and leaned towards her kissing her again and cutting off her words.

“So you found all these?” he asked looking at her. “And you kept them?”

“You kept them,” Ella shrugged.

He nodded slowly.

“Mummy put them inside your diary.” Sammy explained. “So that is why they are there in your new diary.”

Roman smiled before reaching into the makeshift stocking and bringing out the next gift knowing what it was before he unwrapped it. He chuckled at the coloured pencils and the colouring book.

“I buys you.” Liam told him proudly.

“I see.” Roman murmured.

Ella grinned at her young son before laughing as he moved over to climb into her lap.

“Thank you.” Roman told them all before reaching for the last item. He lifted it out and gave a little groan at the weight of it. He peeled off the wrapping and sighed when he saw the scrapbook the kids had made. Opening the front cover he sighed as each of them had written messages inside.

“I helped Gust and Fleur.” Lily told him pointing to the illegible scrawls at the bottom.

“And I translated it.” Sophie explained.

“Thank you again.” Roman said setting aside the items to the side of him before he stood and began hugging each of the children in turn.

“Now who is going in the swimming pool?” Ella asked softly distracting them.

“Me’s.” Liam cried out jumping off her lap and sprinted out of the room.

Ella watched as all the kids ran out of the room and up the stairs to get changed.

“Well.” Roman said gruffly.

“I ain’t saying a word.” Ella told him.

“For a change.” He turned and looked at her before wiping his face. “Guess they do love me.” He muttered trying to go for humour but his voice was too full of emotion for it to come off.

Ella giggled and stood up moving over to him.

“Of course they do you silly man.” She told him before kissing his tears away and wrapping her arms tight around him as he shuddered as more tears came. “And if you manage to look through that scrap book you’ll find letters from Colleen, and Leah, and Miles. The kids went to all of them and asked them to contribute. You have a lot of people that love you.”

He nodded.

“I need to ..” he began not really sure what he was going to say when he looked at Ella and gave her a small smile as he saw tears in her eyes. He knew that there were a lot of times over the past years together that she had cried for him and as much as he loved her for it, he hated to be the course of any of her tears.

“Why don’t you take them through to the study and have a look in private?” Ella suggested softly, her voice full of love. “I’ll go sort out the kids.”

He nodded, feeling the emotion building in him and wanting to look at what they had put together for him so he gathered up everything before heading into the other room, shutting the door quietly behind him.

“Kids give him the scrapbook?” Nic asked from the doorway. “Did he cry?”

Ella nodded.

Nic turned around and looked over at Mike standing near Toby and Brett, the three men drinking beers and talking.

“Told you so.” She called out to him. “Now give me my money.”

Ella laughed and moved to stand next to her.

“Mike, Toby, can you sort out the inflatable toys.” She asked. “And stop betting on your father.”

“Are they going in the pool?” Marcus asked running over to her.

Ella nodded.

“Want to go get changed? Sammy will find you something to wear.”

He nodded and ran through the house and up the stairs followed by Robbie and Tyler.

Nic watched them go before looking at her daughter Angel. She nodded and her daughter ran after them.

“He’s come out of his shell in the past hour.” Nic commented referring to Marcus.

Ella nodded.

“It’s good to have him home.”

“Really, because I remember someone turning up at our house because…” Lee began.

“Shut up, your hormones are making you say crazy stuff.” Ella told her quickly.

Lee laughed.

“Speaking of my hormones can I raid the fridge?” she asked slowly.

“Of course you can.”

Lee slowly levered herself up off the chair and waddled over to the door into the kitchen.

“I swear I wasn’t this big with Millie.” She murmured.

“Have you checked that it isn’t twins?” Ella asked grinning at her.

Lee said something that would have been beeped out on tv and glared at Ella.

“Jus’ saying.”

“You being the expert on twins.” Lee said quickly.

“Apparently.” Ella nodded looking over at Gabby and Toby before she smiled at Lee. “But from an expert, if it is twins, skip the natural birth and go for the drugs.”

Lee laughed.

“Already planning that after Millie’s birth.” She began. “That was a nightmare.”

Ella looked at her.

“You had it easy.” She told her. “I remember I was there.”

Lee looked at her before she laughed.

“Wasn’t that weird? I mean the fact I was living with your husband at the time…”

Ella shook her head looking over at Lee.

“No weirder than most of the stuff going on in this town.”

Chapter 88

Mike looked over at Jennie and smiled. His daughter was a beauty, he thought and headed over to take her from her mothers arms. Danni was sleeping having spent most of the night with their daughter. He moved slowly determined not to wake his, well she wasn’t his wife yet. He lifted his daughter gently and cradled her close as he moved away and tucked her up in her crib. She looked up and him and smacked her lips before closing her eyes and going back to sleep, tired out from her night of keeping her mother awake. He made sure she was covered with her Winnie the Pooh blanket and smiled thinking how she already knew that was a special blanket.

“Hey.” Danni whispered coming awake and looking at him.

“Hey you, I was about to carry you to bed.”

Danni yawned and looked at him before lifting her arms up and giving him a sleepy smile.

“Please tell me she’s still asleep.” She whispered quietly.

He nodded as he moved over to her and picked her up in his arms. He loved the way she snuggled up to him, resting her head on his should and nuzzling the side of his neck. He flexed his arms as he pulled her closer to him and smiled thinking of his parents and the amount of times he’d seen them do this over the years. He carried Danni through to the bedroom and eased her down gently on the bed before watching as she snuggled into the soft bed. He lifted the cover over her and smiled at her sleepy expression and the way she sighed.

“Coming?” she asked lifting her hand and half patted the bed beside her.

“Of course.” He said walking around the other side of the bed and getting into it. He chuckled softly as she turned and snuggled up to him.

“Don’t laugh s’not fair.” She muttered sleepily. “Can’t help it if I love you.”

He chuckled again before kissing her gently on the lips and putting his arms around.

“Sleep.” He instructed, watching over her as her eyes closed again and she went back to her dreams.

He couldn’t work out how his mum coped with twins, thinking of Sophie and Georgie and then she’d gotten pregnant with Meggy immediately with Sammy following on so soon. Then now, she had more twins, teenagers and well Lily.

His thoughts drifted before he too closed his eyes and went to sleep. Danni was in his arms and his daughter was finally quiet. Finally.

Roman woke suddenly feeling like something was wrong. He saw the empty bed beside him and sighed before lifting his feet out and sitting up. He pushed his hand over his face as so clearing his thoughts with the hand gesture and after finding his slippers he went looking for his wife. He didn’t have to go far finding her sitting on the top step.

“Hey you.” He whispered.

“Hey yourself.” She murmured quietly back.

He moved and sat next to her holding out his hand.

Ella looked at it for a moment before she put her hand within his,

“I couldn’t leave him there,” she told him.

“But you lied.” He murmured.

“I know.”

She held out the envelope she had taken out of her jewellery box and he knew that it was the envelope that contained the DNA results from when Marcus had been living with them.

“I wanted to open it.” She began. “and then I didn’t.”

“uh huh.” He murmured in that non-committal way.

“I was going to ask Jacko to fake the results.” She admitted.

“Hey I never said that they had anything to do with it.” He muttered thinking of the time that he had fake results prepared for when there had been a question over Meggy’s paternity. Not that he had a shred of doubt anymore. She was most definitely his daughter.

Ella gave him a look and he grinned back at her, his innocent smile.

“Of course.” She said rolling her eyes.

He gave her hand a squeeze and stood slowly pulling her up with him.

“Bed.” He told her reaching out and taking the envelope from her.

“We need to talk.” She protested.

“I need my wife in bed with me in my arms.” He told her. “And tomorrow we’ll go and see this woman and sort this out.”

“Really?” Ella asked him.

Roman nodded and tugged on her hand leading her into the bedroom.

“Really.” He promised her. “now I distinctly remember something pink and frilly.”

Ella blushed her cheeks turning pink before she looked at his face. His grin and the way he looked her up and down made her face turn red.

“Stop it.” She cried out her hands flying to cool down her cheeks.

“Stop what.” He smirked closing the door and giving her a push towards the bed.

“Making me blush.” She accused.

He chuckled and looked at her again before moving towards her and kissing her. She sighed against his lips her hands reaching out to him.

His gaze was drawn back to the envelope he was holding and he eased away for her to place it securely on her dressing table before walking around to his side of the bed.

“So…” Ella began.

“So.” He grinned and after kicking off his slippers he climbed into he bed. He moved quickly and reached out dragging her onto the bed and pulling him towards her.

“Roman.” She gasped out.

“Yes.” He said.

“Stop, I mean, I” she stuttered.

Roman laughed before he pulled at her nightdress pulling it out of the way and over her head. He dropped it to the floor and looked at her.

“I don’t want to make love.” She told him.

“I can’t change your mind?” he asked stroking down her back.

She shook her head before sighing as he pulled her down in the bed and snuggled up next to her. He pulled the covers up as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Ok then.” he said softly and kissed the back of her neck.

Ella sighed and snuggled closer to him.

“What are we going to say?” she asked after a moment.

“We’re going to say that he’s our little boy and we are going to take care of him.”

Ella nodded.

“And if that doesn’t work?” she muttered biting on her lip worriedly.

“Well we go and see Martha and get her to sign him over to us.” Roman murmured. “And stop biting your lip.” He added, as even though he couldn’t see her face he knew she was doing it.

Ella laughed and turned in his arms until she was facing him.

“Why?” she asked softly. “Surely that can’t still turn you on?”

He laughed.

“Yes it does.” He admitted. “You turn me on.” He told her kissing her. “Your hair wrapping around my fingers like this.” He demonstrated. “and your lips, soft and kissable.” He demonstrated once more kissing her.

“Stop.” She whispered.

“If you want.” He said wrapping his arms around her and sighing.

“I er..” she bit her lip before giggling at his expression.

“I told you want that did to me.”

He caught hold of her hand and guided it down his body and pressing it on his hardness.

“So I see.” Ella whispered and kissed him as she began to stroke him.

“So are we making love,” he began, “Or are you teasing me?”

She giggled again and pressed herself close to him before whispering in his ear.

“Oh, I think we are going to make love. “ she said her voice breathy.

“Well.” Ella began sometime later.

“I would have lasted longer if you hadn’t over stimulated me.” Roman murmured breathing heavily.

She lifted herself up and looked at him very aware that they were still joined intimately.

“I’ve heard that line before.” She told him.

“Huh.” He muttered glaring at her before he wrapped his arms around her and rolled them over. He grinned at the way she opened her legs and wrapped them around him.

“Ouh,” she murmured looking into his eyes. “Are we trying again?”

Roman growled near her ear before he eased his head back and kissed her.

She wrapped her arms around his neck kissing him back before she felt him moving again, his body thrusting into hers.

“Ouh” she said again with a little gasp.

“Ouh?” he asked.

“Oh yes…” she said in that breathy voice arching against him. “Ouh.”

Roman chuckled.

Sammy led Marcus to the breakfast table and sat down with the babies. He looked at the plates of food on there and frowned before glancing in the kitchen and seeing his Dad pat his Mum on her behind. She was singing and he frowned wondering where the song came from.

“Something kind of ouh.” She sang under her breath. “makes my heart go boom boom.”

“Really?” Roman asked spinning her around and kissing her.

“Whats up?” Marcus asked Sammy.

He turned and looked at the other boy.

“I don’t know, I just hope it’s not catching.” He said and helped himself to bacon.

Chapter 89

“We’ve got the kids so go.” Nic murmured looking over at Ella as she sat at her dressing table getting ready.

“I really don’t see why we need to go out for lunch.” Ella muttered looking at herself in the mirror as she put on eyeshadow.

“This pink is nice.” Nic told her getting distracted. She handed it to Ella and watched as the other expertly swept the pale colour over her upper lids, blending it in with the pale mauve. She picked up eyeliner and began adding a black line to her lash line with a steady hand smiling as Nic sucking in a breath watching her. “Yeah, it always amazes me how you could do make up so effortlessly when you don’t wear any most of the time.”

Ella laughed and peered into the mirror checking it before reaching for the eyelash curlers and using the small barbaric looking metal things on each eye, curling her eyelashes into submission.

“Are you making him wear a suit?” she asked looking at Nic through the reflection in the mirror.

“We might be. You could do with a bit of romance.” Nic looked at Ella’s reflection in the mirror noticing that the other woman was blushing. “Or did you already get some?” she asked phrasing the question deliberately so it could be misconstrued.

“Nicole.” Ella said feeling her face flaming.

Nic leaned forward and looked into Ella’s eyes courtesy of the mirror and smiled.

“Sammy heard you singing this morning.” She told the blushing Ella. “We all know what that means.”

“I don’t know what you mean.” Ella said picking up the mascara wand and willed her hand to remain steady as she began to stroke the black colour on her lashes.

Nic folded her arms and looked at her.

“You singing means you got lucky, and the fact that you were both in the kitchen acting like teenagers only means that you got very lucky.” Nic told her. “Even the cats know that. Haven’t you noticed that they get extra ham from him when you show him a nice time?”

Ella groaned and her hand shook. Her eyes shot to Nic’s and she laughed at her stepdaughter’s expression.

“That is something you shouldn’t be talking about.” She told her primly.

“How can we not talk about it?” Nic said moving to sit on the bed, “I mean, even when we know it’s really bad between you we see you holding hands and hugging.”

Ella sighed before checking her make up. She added blush before choosing a lipstick. She looked at the pale colours before selecting a dark brown with reddish tones and applied it to her lips, brushing it on.

“You planning something?” Nic asked looking at her.

Ella nodded.

“I’m planning on wearing lipstick longer than five minutes.”

Nic giggled.

“Yeah, we can add that to the list.” She said with a grin. “You always seem to get it kissed off.”

“I beg your pardon Nicole.” Roman called to his daughter as he walked into the bedroom. He had a towel wrapped around his waist and had obviously just gotten out of the shower.

“You aren’t ready yet?” Nic asked him deflecting the subject.

“Obviously.” Roman drawled looking at his daughter. “I’ve decided to go casual.”

Ella giggled.

“Out.” She instructed her stepdaughter.

“That’s so not fair.” Nic protested standing up and moving towards the door. She pouted before giving a look at Ella’s wardrobe door before heading out of the room.

Roman laughed and walked over to stand next to Ella, looking at her with curled hair and make up on. He smiled and reached out a hand to tug on one of the ringlets before leaning down to kiss her.

“Don’t bother.” She told him pulling the belt on her robe tighter.

“What?” he asked innocently.

“Leave my lipstick alone.”

He gave her a little boy grin and went for that innocent look again before smirking.

“Exactly.” She muttered.

Looking him up and down she gave him a slow smile before easing down to her knees and tugging on the towel.

“Ella Harris.” He moaned her name realising her intent.

She pushed him back against the wardrobe door letting the towel fall to the floor in the process before looking at him.

“Really?” he asked her and then sucked in a sharp breath as her lips enclosed him. “God Ella.” He groaned tangling his fingers in her hair uncaring that it must have taken her ages to curl it. “You have no idea what you are doing to me.” He muttered biting his lip as she continued with the sensual assault. He threw his head back and moaned again as he reached his peak breathing heavily before looking down at her.

“Been a long time since you did that.” He commented when he get his voice back.

She smiled up at him and stood going over to the mirror and looking at her hair.

“Might be a long until I do it again.” She muttered inspecting her ruined hairstyle. She picked up a comb and began to rescue her hairstyle before frowning as Roman tugged on a pair of boxers.

“You aren’t er…” she said blushing.

“Going out with your lipstick on my…”

“Shush.” She gasped out urgently blushing fiercely.

He chuckled.

“Yup, you’ve marked me.” He told her.

He walked over to where she was standing and put his arms around her waist pulling her back against him and resting his head on her shoulder before looking at their reflection in the mirror.

“Thank you.” He said softly kissing the side of her neck. He couldn’t stop the grin on his face when he recognised she was wearing the perfume he had brought her.

“You’re welcome.”

“I get to return the favour tonight.” He told her in a husky voice kissing her neck some more.

“Well, yes, “ she stuttered blushing again. “We need to get dressed.” She added.

He chuckled and slowly released her before heading over to the wardrobe and taking out his black trousers and pulling them on. He added a white shirt, leaving it undone as he sat on the bed and began to put on black socks. She watched him carefully as she redid her hair and checked her makeup. With a slightly unsteady hand she replaced her lipstick and moved into the en suite coming out a few moments later dressed in a short black dress with a wide black belt around the waist. She looked over at him and smiled.

“Stop looking at me like that.” She moaned as his eyes travelled over her.

“Can I tempt you into adding stockings to that outfit and high heels?” he said giving her a slow wolf whistle.

“No, and behave.” She told him in a prim voice.

Looking over at him as she slipped her feet into shoes she collected her handbag and eased up straight, her hands smoothing down her skirt.

He laughed and finished buckling up his belt before collecting his wallet and keys.

“Are we ready?” he asked her.

“Do you know where we are going?” she said sounding nervous.

Roman smiled at her and held out his hand, grinning as she moved over to him and put her hand into his. He led them out and down the stairs seeing the kids lined up by the door.

“Ok we’re going.” Ella said as Sophie stepped forward.

“Finally.” She said to her mother rolling her eyes.

“Come on.” Roman murmured leading her out to the car before she could delay any longer. He grinned as he seated them in his new car and started the engine giving Ella a look as he drove away.

“Like it?” she asked placing her hand on his knee.

“It’s very nice.” He admitted looking at the smooth display and letting the wheel turn in his hands as he got a feel for what the car could do.

“Go on.” She encouraged catching his look at her.

“Really? You hate it when I go fast.”

“No, just when the kids are in the car.” She grinned. “Unless Lily is hiding in the boot I think we are safe.”

He threw his head back and laughed before accelerating the car navigating the lanes as he drove them towards the restaurant that Mike had booked for them as a Christmas present. As the car ate up the miles he kept a watch on Ella to ensure she was ok with him driving so fast. It didn’t take that long for them to arrive outside the restaurant. With it still being Boxing Day there was ample parking and he found a slot outside the front of the restaurant easing to a slow stop and turning off the engine with a sigh.

“So you like the car then.” she grinned at him.

“I think that is a yes.” He murmured.

He climbed out of the car and walked quickly around her side opening the door for her and grinning as she leaned up and kissed the corner of his mouth.

“I think you …” she began.

“Yeah, I left a wet towel on the floor.” He said to her as they walked inside the restaurant. “You distracted me.” He told her and grinned at the tinge of colour on her cheeks.

“Hello there.” The waitress called out coming over to them.

Roman noticed a family booking and another couple, the only other occupants of the place and he half nodded.

“Table for Harris.” He said quietly.

“Through this way please.” She said and walked ahead of them taking them to a secluded table in the back and watching as they were seated. He ignored the waitress’ flirtatious looks concentrating on Ella. They sat down at the indicated table and were handed Menus.

“What do you want to drink?” Roman asked Ella before the waitress could.

“We have a nice selection of wines.” She offered to them.

Ella looked at Roman and smiled.

“I could drive back?” she offered.

He shook his head.

“No thanks.” He declined the offer reaching and catching hold of her hand, his thumb stroking across her fingers.

“Ok, I’d like a vodka and diet coke, in a tall glass with no ice.” She barely glanced at the waitress as she gave her order.

Roman hid his smile.

“Just a mineral water for me, thanks.” He said watching as the waitress walked away before looking over at Ella and letting out a small laugh. “Witch.” He said to her.

“She should keep her eyes off my man.” Ella said meeting Roman’s intense gaze.

“Am I your man?” he asked still smiling.

She nodded.

“Always have been.” She said to him.

He eased his chair closer to her and leaned over kissing the lipstick off her lips.

“Much better.” He commented at her glare. “My woman.” He proclaimed just as the drinks arrived. He caught the waitress looking at them and grinned as he looked back at Ella as she sipped from the her drink and knowing that she was trying not to blush.

“I think we have the breaded Camembert to start.” He said slowly beginning the order.

Ella glared at him for being high handed and looked down at the menu. A quick glance at the starters convinced her that she would have chosen the Camembert anyway and shot a look at Roman.

“The steak and chips for me. Medium rare.” He ordered.

“Stuffed Aubergines for me.” Ella said to her before holding out the closed menu.

The waitress finished writing and collected the menus before walking away.

Ella watched her and laughed.

“What is it?” Roman asked.

“She isn’t bothering to wriggle those hips of hers now.”

“Was she before?” he said slowly.

“Going for bonus points?” Ella said smiling at him. She reached out and caught hold of his hand her fingers entwining with his.

“Depends, what is my reward?”

She shook her head and took a long drink before looking at him once more.

“We should talk.” She muttered suddenly feeling like a lead weight had descended on her shoulders.

“Ok.” He said slowly making sure she didn’t remove her hand for his. “What do you want to talk about?”

She tilted her head to one side.

“Why you think that Martha will sign Marcus over to us?” she said slowly.

He looked at her in surprise before taking a long slow drink of his water.

“Because I know something that I can tell her.” He stated quietly.

“More secrets.” Ella said her tone changing.

“Hey.” He tugged on her hand. “We’re supposed to have a good time here.”

“I know.” She said her bottom lip trembling. “But well, there is a year that is still…”

“Do you want to focus on the past or look forward to the future?” he asked her quickly.

She looked around the restaurant, taking in the decorative touches before looking back at him.

“I can’t forget what happened.” She admitted.

“Have you forgiven me yet?” he asked dreading the answer even more when he felt her tense beside him.

“Just about.” She said and flashed a quick grin at him, her grin turning into a smile and he sighed at her answer.

“Your starters.” The waitress said interrupting them.

“Thank you.” Ella said letting go of Roman’s hand and leaning back in her chair as she looked at the plate in front of her.

The waitress eased away leaving them alone once more.

“What is it Roman?” she asked him picking up her fork. “What is the big secret?”

“Jack Holden is alive.” He said to her.

Ella starred at him and put her fork down on her plate. Her colour washed out of her face and she blinked.

“My god.” She gasped out looking stricken. “After all Martha has done to us? She could have been happy with Jack.”

He frowned before thinking of the other woman.

“There is no telling that they would still be together.” He pointed out.

“No?” Ella half-sneered. “Well with him around she wouldn’t have slept with you.”

He flinched remembering a conversation between them in the dark as they made love when she’d told him she believed him innocent of adultery. He chewed the mouthful of food in his mouth thinking that it had a taste of sourness about it and found his gaze drawn to Ella’s.

“I’m sorry.” She said softly reaching for his hand once more.

“El,” he murmured.

“We have a lot of history, more than most couples.” She said.

He nodded.

“If you tell Martha you should tell Tony.” She added after a moment.

“Ella.” He protested.

“I lost a husband, and once you lost me, we know what it is like to grieve let alone lose a child.” She pointed out.

“How do I tell him El?” he asked looking into her eyes and seeing the sadness that was always there when she thought of their lost children.

“I don’t know. “ she admitted. “But if it were me, well it has been me hasn’t it with Gabby and Toby.”

Roman thought about how he felt when they had learnt about the twins and he nodded fearing tears prick his own eyes.

“I tell him tomorrow. I need to see Angelo first and find out Jack’s location.”

Ella nodded before she leaned over and kissed him.

“Ok.” She said quietly. “Try not to beat him up too much this time.” She added.

Roman looked at her a guilty expression on his face before flushing as she giggled at him.

“Hey!” he protested in a little boy voice.

Archived