Missing Heart

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 50

Roman sighed as he moved restlessly in the bed. He’d been home for five days now feeling himself settling back into the family. He knew that he had to go back to the shack and pack up his stuff along with seeing Betsy but being here was too seductive. He groaned rolling back over as he felt his body reacting to the seductive part of the statement. Being close to Ella was seductive. Seeing her smile and be with the kids, watching her with the twins, seeing her eyes light up when she taught them a new word or saw them achieve something new. Then there was her closeness. He was forever catching the scent of her perfume on the breeze or when she was standing or sitting close to him. The way she touched him to emphasise something or just because she was standing close to him and they couldn’t help touching hands.

He knew that it wasn’t the strange mattress that was bothering him it was the fact that across the garden in their bed Ella was asleep alone. He tried to force his mind to think of other things but all he could think of was her perfume enveloping him as he slept next to her. Her body warming his, her arms wrapped around him. Her lips pressing themselves to his neck as she nuzzled against him. He sighed with his wayward thoughts before climbing out of the bed and standing by the open window. He could feel the night breeze cooling his over heated body and he sighed again. Looking up he saw Ella’s light come on and he watched her silhouette as she crossed in front of the window, the gauzy fabric of the drawn curtains obstructing his view.

He grinned as he saw the curtains move and her window open knowing that she would be inhaling the scent of jasmine from the garden mixed with honeysuckle and the apple blossom drifting up from the orchard. The garden always smelt so amazing at this time of year especially on a night like tonight when a late evening shower hadn’t managed to cool the heat of the day, just refreshed all the plants.

He looked at the yellow moon in the dark night sky and the scattering of stars thinking of the different patterns of stars he’d slept under throughout the years. Smiling as he remembered lying with her on the rooftop of a hotel in Cyprus where they had spent their first holiday together. They had looked up at the stars together before he’d leaned over and traced similar patterns on her skin. They’d slipped into the cool waters of the swimming pool and begun to make love feeling the ripples of the water pulsing against them. He sighed with frustration as he felt a familiar arousal thinking of making love to Ella. He groaned and moved out of the bedroom, padding barefoot through Gabby’s home trying to be quiet as he walked outside and over to the swimming pool. He dived into the deep end and began swimming feeling his breath ease out in a sharp hiss as the coolness of the water hit his overheated body. He continued swimming back and forth trying not to think about Ella being in a bed within walking distance of him. He surfaced and looked up in shock seeing Ella the torment of his thoughts sitting at the end of the pool her bare feet swishing through the water.

“Hello.” He murmured rubbing a hand over his face to remove the excess water.

She smiled at him and handed him a beer.

“Seems we had the same idea.” She said taking a sip from her own bottle.

Roman sighed before he took the bottle from her and took a drink.

“Yeah, I couldn’t sleep.” He said slowly his eyes meeting with hers.

Ella sighed.

“Any particular reason?” she asked him.

He grinned and looked at her.

“Oh.” She gasped her face blushing.

Roman chuckled.

“So why aren’t you asleep?” he asked her.

Ella grinned at him and he groaned.

“The rain.” He murmured.

She nodded.

“I should have remembered that you like to walk barefoot on the grass after a rainstorm.” He muttered.

She smiled over at him sipping from her bottle.

“It smells so amazing after the rain.” She commented. “Makes me….”

“feel alive.” He finished for her putting his empty bottle down.

She nodded.

“Come for a swim.” He urged.

Ella laughed at him.

“I don’t have my costume.” She told him.

“Not letting that stop you are you?” he asked her. “If it makes you feel better I’ll slip out of my boxers.”

“How can I possibly turn that offer down.” Ella laughed at him drinking the last of her beer. “But no thank you.”

She placed the bottle to one side before gasping as she felt his hands grab her waist and tug her into the pool.

“Roman no.” she cried out groaning as she heard him laugh. She felt the cool water meet her hot flesh and shuddered in response feeling goosebumps crawl along her skin. She was aware of him standing in front of her. She could smell his raw masculine fragrance and groaned when she felt her body responding to him.

“Doesn’t that feel good.” He whispered in her ear.

She reached up to push at his chest and encountered the hard wall of muscle. She felt the power of his hold and bit back the sigh that wanted to escape.

“Not really.” She told him.

“How about now?” he asked pulling her closer.

“No.” she muttered her eyes flashing at him.

“Now?” he asked pulling her hard against him. She could feel the hard plains of his chest against her hands and his thighs pressing against her legs. She had to move to maintain her balance and felt him moving too until one of his legs was between hers and she gasped glaring up at him.

“This is….” She began to say harassment. But his lips descended on to hers and she moaned as he deepened the kiss. She wound her arms around him as she kissed him back.

“I need you.” He moaned against her lips.

Ella sighed and pulled back her eyes gazing into his and she nodded.

“You sure?” he asked.

She nodded once more before kissing him.

Roman sighed as he pulled her even closer against him. He felt his body reacting with urgent arousal and knew that he wanted her. Wanted to bury himself deep inside her and hear her cries of passion. He groaned and eased back seeing her grinning at him.

“Something wrong solider?” she murmured in a sassy voice.

“Nothing wrong apart from I’m going to explode right now.” He mock growled at her.

Ella giggled and eased past him before escaping and swimming down to the deep end of the pool.

Roman threw back his head and laughed before he swam after her. He heard her laughter floating towards him and smiled as he caught up with her. She spun in his arms her nightdress clinging to her body and dragging her underwater. Roman caught her and pulled her up leading her over to the side and pressing her back against the cool tiles before he undid the row of tiny buttons at the top of her nightdress. He eased it down her body and watched as it sank to the bottom of the pool before he pulled back and looked at her body. He saw the shimmer of water on her skin making her look like a seductive mermaid before he kissed her once more. He felt her hands on him as she moved closed and he groaned again at her touch.

“Make love to me.” She whispered against his lips.

Roman sighed as he kissed her neck and then lowered his mouth to her breasts. He suckled one then the other before sinking underwater gasping as he surfaced again, his eyes meeting hers.

“I love you.” He said kissing her again. “Love you.” He whispered as his hands pulled her closer to him and he spread her legs wrapping them around his waist while he stroked her carefully. He felt her arousal as he touched her delicately his body yearning for more. He saw her throw her head back and gasp as he teased her sex with his fingers. They kissed, mouths fusing before he pushed down his boxers and kicked them free of his legs. He pressed himself against her as they kissed some more feeling her moaning her hands running all over him. He sighed as he joined with her slowly, teasingly.

Her climax took him by surprise feeling the shudders of passion go through her. He kissed her again feeling her clutch at him and he laughed when they sank underwater before he raised them to the surface once more. He guided them to the side of the pool using the leverage to keep them balanced while he began to make love to her.

“Ella.” He whispered.

She laughed joyfully pulling him closer to her grinning as she heard his moan.

“Love me?” she asked.

Roman nodded.

“Really love me?” she asked him.

“God yes, I love you ok?” he gasped out closing his eyes as the pleasure mounted.

“That must be why you are having a sex dream about me.” She whispered in his ear.

Roman flinched and opened his eyes seeing her laughing at him.

“You witch.” He gasped thinking of the one second when he'd actually thought that he was dreaming again.

“Admit it for a minute you thought this was a dream.” She giggled kissing a spot behind his ear.

“Sexiest dream I’ve had all week.” He muttered claiming her lips again. “I need you so much.” He whispered kissing her over and over.

She ran her hands down his back pressing herself close to him rubbing her body against his.

“Been dreaming about me like this all week?” she asked him.

Roman nodded gritting his teeth against the flood of sensation going through him.

“Only in my dreams you tell me you love me round about now.” He got out.

Ella giggled once more before she gasped as she felt his teeth grazing a sensitive spot on her neck. He thrust deep inside her feeling his climax begin.

“Come with me.” He begged softly.

Ella sighed and rubbed herself on him feeling the erotic friction add to the sensations she was feeling. Her eyes met with his and she felt her lips mouthing the words I love you before she kissed him again masking what she wanted to say to him.

He thrust deep inside her feeling his climax start and felt his eyes fusing with hers. She moaned softly and kissed him before looking into his eyes.

“I love you.” She whispered softly.

He gave a last groan and collapsed against her.

“Love you.” He gasped against her neck before capturing her lips once more. He felt her hands on his shoulders and he gave a little moan feeling a shudder go through him.

“More?” she whispered.

Roman nodded.

“Definitely.” He told her.

She giggled against his lips as he kissed her.

Mike drove carefully up the drive his eyes on Danni beside him before he looked in the back of the car at their very small daughter.

“Finally.” Danni teased him. “Any slower and we would have had to stop for the night somewhere.”

Mike raised his eyebrow as he looked at her.

“Quit it or I’ll set Sophie on to you. She’s still cross that you gave birth without her.”

“Ha.” Danni muttered.

Mike climbed out of the car and moved around to her door opening it and helping her out.

“Ok?” he asked.

She nodded.

He opened the back of the car and undid the seatbelt before lifting out their daughter. She was wrapped securely in a blanket and tucked up in her car seat. He gently adjusted the small woollen cap she was wearing and placed his free arm around Danni as he led her into the house.

Danni grinned at him enjoying the way he was with their little Jennie.

“Quit it.” he muttered again.

She chuckled and moved inside seeing kids sitting round the table and smiled once more before turning to Mike.

“Home.” She grinned.

He nodded and closed the door before moving through the lounge with her.

“Danni.” Sophie squealed jumping up from the table and running over to her sister. She threw her arms around her and began to cry.

“Hey.” Danni murmured hugging her back before easing away and looking into her face.

“Are you home?” Sophie asked quickly.

Danni nodded before pointing to the capsule that Mike was holding.

“Oh wow they let her out?” Ella asked getting up from the table and coming over to them. “I thought it would be ages yet.”

“Yeah.” Mike grinned. “ She came off the ventilator right away and started feeding. We’ve got a nurse coming with us to help out and monitor her.”

Danni giggled.

“Michelle.” She told Ella.

“I knew you’d find an excuse to bring her back.” Ella said before hugging the pair of them. “Ok kids I want you to look quietly and then your niece has to go to bed.”

Meggy shot up from the table and walked over to them ‘ouhing’ with Sophie over the small baby before Sammy and Georgie moved next. Liam gave Lily a sly look before he too came over before heading back to finish his breakfast.

“Lily.” Danni called softly.

“No new babies.” Lily announced.

Ella bit back a grin before moving over to her daughter.

“It’s ok.” she told her. “Mama loves you.”

“Where is Dad?” Mike asked.

Ella shrugged focusing on her daughter to try and stop the blush she felt starting at her toes and spreading upwards.

“He’s in bed.” Sophie told them. “So Gabby said.”

Mike nodded.

“The stables?” he asked looking at his Mum.

Danni chuckled before walking over to the table and easing into a seat.

“So why aren’t they ready for school?” she asked. “Oh wait school holidays have started.”

Ella nodded before she shot a look to Mike before she moved over to the table and sat down herself.

“I lost the baby.” She said quietly.

Danni paled.

“We’re sorry we didn’t know. “ she gasped out casting a frantic look at Mike with the baby.

“It’s ok.” Ella said softly placing her hand on Danni’s arm. “I would have told you but it’s been a bit chaotic around here.”

“I can bet.” Mike said.

He moved to Danni’s side and handed her the capsule.

“We need to sort out the poolhouse.” He told her.

She nodded.

“We can give you hand.” Ella said softly.

“Think Dad will be up to helping me put together furniture?” Mike asked.

Ella nodded picking up her cup and taking a drink hoping that would disguise her blush.

“Kids want to give Mike a hand?” Ella asked them after a moment hoping her voice sounded even. “Earn some pocket money?”

“Yeah, we’ll help.” Georgie said.

Ella smiled before she stood up.

“The crib is in the nursery if you want to put her down for a nap.” She said to them. “Perhaps Georgie and Sammy could fetch it down for you?”

The two boys shot up and ran up the stairs.

“So he’s back.” Mike said redundantly.

Ella nodded.

“But not back back.” he said slowly.

“No I think it would be better for the kids if we take some time to get used to this situation.” She said to him.

Mike nodded slowly ignoring the look that Danni was shooting him and smiled.

“You be ok here for a bit if I go over and begin clearing up?” he asked speaking to Danni.

She nodded.

“I should help you.” She muttered feeling guilty.

“I’m a big boy I can do it.” he grinned cheekily at her before walking through the back and out to the pool house.

Ella watched him go before she gasped.

“Mummy?” Meggy asked.

“Nothing.” She said before springing up from her seat and following Mike. She saw him standing by the pool looking into the deep water and blushed once more.

“Might want to clean the pool.” he commented.

Ella looked at him her mouth open trying to think of something to say before she followed his gaze and saw her nightdress on the bottom next to a pair of Roman’s boxer shorts.

“Yeah.” She gasped out.

Mike looked at her and grinned before laughing as she blushed even deeper when she heard Roman calling out good morning in the background to Gabby.

“He sounds happy to be home.” Mike said slowly.

“Er…” Ella glared at him before spinning around and running back to the house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lisa, Welcome back!

Zetti & Carina - If you ahdn't kept me chatting on FB you might have had this update sooner...... <Muwahaha>

Pollymoon - You are still banned so no reading this update.....

Chapter 51

Roman whistled as he made his breakfast. Ella had come out of the house last night meeting him in the orchard for their rendezvous. She’d been unable to stop herself from telling him she loved him as she felt apart in his arms during their lovemaking. The day before that they had crept into the stables during the twin’s naptime unable to keep their hands off each other, he’d just managed to get her into his bedroom before they made love against the closed bedroom door. He’d heard Gabby moving around the place as they made love, The girl had come home to collect something that day and he’d stilled trying not to make any noise grinning as Ella pressed her lips to his neck to stifle her cries as she climaxed. He’d pulled back and looked into her flushed face when the house had gone quiet again before carrying her over to the bed and driving them both over the edge.

He knew that this couldn’t go on. Not just the secret meetings where they were together but not together but also that he was in Summer Bay. He needed to go back to shack and pack up his gear there and make things right with Betsy. Then there was the question of money, if he stayed there he would be dependent on Ella and he hated the thought of that. He stopped whistling and looked up seeing Angelo walk past the window. Although it had been years he recognised the other man immediately and a primitive growl emerged from his throat as he saw him pick up one of his children.

He turned off the cooker and stood back so the other man wouldn’t see him but not too far back so he could still keep an eye on him.

“So what are you doing here?” Ella asked Angelo from her seat by the flowerbed. She had been weeding it as the twins played with her.

“Just thought I would call in because you haven’t texted me back.” Angelo pointed out. “Or answered my calls.”

Ella flushed casting a frantic glance over at the stables before she stood and pulled off the gardening gloves. She was all too aware all she had on was a bikini with a pair of tight denim cut offs on the bottom and she had to resist the urge to pull them down and try and cover up a bit.

“August.” She murmured to her daughter, who Angelo was holding in his arms.

“Dada.” She called out waving her hand.

Ella blushed forcing herself not to look over at the stables again and stepped forward taking hold of her daughter from him.

“Sorry.” Angelo muttered immediately.

“That’s ok.” Ella said to him. “Shall we go to the house and get a cup of coffee?” she asked politely wanting to get him away from the garden and it’s close proximity to her husband. She knew that Roman was watching her and that it wasn’t just paranoia.

“A coffee would be good. Sorry I seem to have barged in on you here. “ He murmured a tinge of colour brightening up his cheeks.

Ella gave him a smile and shook her head.

“My door is always open to friends.” She announced feeling that spark flutter inside her again. She smiled at him as she moved inside the house putting August on to her feet next to Fleur, who’d followed them in, before stepping over to the sink and washing her hands. She dried them on a kitchen towel before making a pot of coffee.

“So who let you in?” Ella asked him as she took out juice boxes for the two girls out of the fridge and handed them over.

“I think his name was Georgie.” Angelo said. “He …er… wasn’t too happy to see me.”

Ella laughed.

“Luckily it wasn’t Meggy you might not have made it over the doorstep.” Ella told him.

“Is that why I haven’t heard from you? Your kids giving you a hard time about dating?” he asked.

Ella began making the coffee before giving him a look over her shoulder. She turned and looked at him properly.

“No.” she said quietly. “It’s just that I’ve been busy with the kids and not been well. “ she explained before pouring the coffee. “Milk isn’t it?” she asked reaching into the fridge.

Angelo nodded and watched as she poured milk into his cup before handing it over to him.

“Thanks.” He said grinning at her as their fingers brushed.

Ella smiled back and picked up her cup leading him out to the back veranda. She gestured for him to sit down as she sat herself choosing a cane chair so that she could curl up her legs around her.

“So what have you been up to aside from texting me and calling me?” Ella asked him amusement twinkling in her eyes as she teased him.

“Well normal police work. Catching crooks and car chases.” He told her his voice deadpan.

“Sounds like you’ve almost been too busy to miss me.” She murmured sipping from her cup.

“Almost.” He agreed. “So now that I do have time to catch up with you is there any possibility that I can take you to dinner?”

“None.” Ella said. “The kids are home for the holidays so it will be difficult to get out.” she added thinking of the way the children were and well Roman. Not that she could use her husband as an excuse for not dating.

“Do I detect reluctance here? Am I pushing you?” he murmured quietly.

“You do detect reluctance.” Ella admitted leaning forward and placing her hand on his arm. “But not because I don’t like you. I come with a lot of baggage and if you are ok with friends that’s fine but if push for something more then I don’t think I can deal with that.”

Angelo nodded.

“I just really like your company Ella Harris.” He said looking into her eyes.

He leaned forward and she knew in that second that he was going to kiss her. She felt his lips press softly against hers and she responded kissing him back before remembering the children were about and she eased back looking at him.

“That was interesting.” Angelo said quietly. “I almost want to try it again to see if it’s the same the second time.”

Ella laughed and looked at him.

“It was quite nice. But I’m not ready for anything like that.” She muttered feeling guilty.

“Then we’ll settle for a handshake next time.”

Ella nodded.

“I think that you are being a bit forward expecting a handshake. I hardly know you.” She told him.

Angelo threw back his head as he laughed before sobering and looking at her again.

“Saturday afternoon. What time do the twins go for a nap?”

“Around half two.” Ella admitted biting her lip.

She felt strange arranging a date especially as she knew Roman was just over in the next building.

“How about 3pm. We’ll meet for coffee and you can tell me about your week.” He explained.

“I’m pretty sure my week is going to be kids did stuff, did more stuff, did extra stuff and I ran around after them.” Ella said with a sigh. “Oh, speaking of kids.” She added pointing to the pool house. “My newest grandchild has been brought home. “

Angelo looked at her and grinned.

“Grandchild.” Ella said again for emphasis.

“Is that supposed to put me off?” he asked. “Because I have to say that you really don’t look old enough to have kids let alone grandkids.”

Ella blushed as she felt his eyes travel over her body.

“Thank you for the coffee.” He said softly. “I will give you a call.”

Ella nodded and uncurled her legs standing up next to him. She felt the heat emanating from his body and inhaled the musky scent of his body spray feeling her cheeks grow warm as she blushed.

“I’ll see you out.” Ella announced walking him to the door. She watched as he moved out to his car and set off before turning around.

“Mother.” Sophie cried out from her position on the stairs “You kissed him.”

“Sophie.” Ella said softly.

“Weren’t we meant to see that?” she asked scathingly.

“Yes Sophie I kissed him and I’ve arranged to see him on Saturday.” Ella said to her. “I enjoy being with him.”

“I can’t believe you.” Sophie muttered turning around and running up the stairs to her bedroom. Ella heard the doors banging behind her upset daughter and frowned.

“Well Darl that was certainly interesting.” Irene murmured coming into the house with a bag of shopping. “That little display have anything to do with Angelo?”

Ella spun around and looked at Irene.

“I kissed him.” she shot out.

She looked up and met Irene’s gaze with a puzzled one of her own.

“What is it?” Irene asked moving to her side.

“I never told Angelo where I lived.” She whispered. “He just turned up out of the blue.”

“Sounds weird.” Irene mumbled carrying the shopping through to the kitchen. She turned and looked over at Ella as she began sorting out the contents of the brown paper bag.

“He never told me why he was back in the bay.” She added.

Irene looked at her.

“If you are really worried then you should say something.”

“To who?” Ella asked.

“Well Charlie. She would know about Angelo wouldn’t she?”

“Irene it isn’t fair of me to drag other people into sorting out my personal life.” Ella said slowly biting her lip. “I think I need to …”

“To come and see me and explain why you were kissing another man?” Roman asked coming in through the door and looking at Ella. He felt jealous and angry and everything else. How could she sneak from his bed in the middle of the night and kiss someone else.

“Sophie text you?” Ella asked calmly.

“Nope August told me that her Dada kiss you.”

Ella groaned feeling Irene give her a look as if to say ‘Busted’

“So you assumed that it wasn’t you she was talking about because we aren’t kissing each other.” Ella snapped and heard Irene chuckle at her.

Roman glowered folding his arms across his chest as he looked at his wife.

“Maybe you should mention that little query you had to him.” Irene suggested pointing to Roman over her shoulder with her thumb.

“Little query?” Roman asked allowing himself to be side-tracked before he hit the roof. Although the roof wasn’t the thing he really wanted to hit at that moment he thought flexing his hands.

“I never told Angelo where I lived.” Ella said in a small voice.

Roman nodded slowly.

“Then you should ask him how he knew next time you see him shouldn’t you?” he bit out turning on his heal and storming out of the house.

“Oh that man.” Ella snapped out stamping her foot in frustration.

She looked the way he’d gone before she followed him ignoring Irene laughing behind her. Racing into the stables she looked over at Gabby before heading into Roman’s room.

“I didn’t…” she began.

Roman grabbed her and kicked the door shut behind her. He pushed her back against the door and looked into her eyes.

“Did you enjoy his kiss Ella?” he asked her.

Ella shook her head.

“Stop this.” She demanded.

Roman looked into her eyes and leaned forward to kiss her groaning when she turned her head away.

“No.” she whispered.

“Ella.”

“Wait.” She gasped easing out of his grip and going over to the en suite. She came back out after a moment and he could see that she had washed her face and it made him smile.

“Come here.” He told her.

She ran over to him and into his arms.

“Why did you kiss him?” he asked feeling his heart thump hard in his chest.

“Because I felt something inside me come back to life with him.” Ella whispered.

“Something that I killed when I died.” He groaned.

Ella couldn’t help it as she nodded.

“My heart went missing when you left us and I couldn’t get it back but Angelo came along and it felt good to have someone interested in me, not as a wife or mother but me as a person.”

“Ella.” He said lifting her head up and looking into her eyes. “When I look at you I see my wife, my lover, the mother of my children but above all that I see someone who challenges me to be better, who keeps me on my toes and makes me feel amazing.”

Ella sighed knowing what was coming next.

“And even though it seems like throughout the years I’ve taken you for granted sometimes I never stopped seeing you as Ella, my wonderful compassionate amazing loving Ella.”

She groaned and pushed at his chest.

“Yeah.” He grinned as he allowed himself to go backwards and pulling her with him. “There have been times when I’ve pointed out that…”

“Shuddup.” Ella groaned.

“That you needed…”

“What do I have to do to shut you up?” she muttered as he tugged her with him as he fell on to the bed.

“Well.” He said with a grin looking down her body. He smiled when he saw the red flush warming her skin that she couldn’t hide because she was wearing very little. “Tell me.” He said leaned over her and kissing her. “Did you wear this knowing that I would be looking at you and getting turned on.”

“Roman stop. We need to talk about stuff.” She gasped.

He reached out and trailed his finger down her body running around her navel and back up pausing in the valley between her breasts.

“What stuff?” he asked breathlessly.

Ella moaned before she looked at him. She moved over to him until she was sitting astride his body feeling the hardness of his arousal pressing against her feminine flesh. Hating the clothes between then and at the same time the friction of the clothes rubbed erotically against them.

“It hasn’t been this hot between us since we got married.” He said to her in an awed voice. “I’m kind of liking this.”

“You being dead?” Ella asked a bitter note in her voice.

Roman smiled at her defusing her anger before he reached up and stroked her face.

“No.” he said simply. “Secretly making love, sharing looks across the room, falling in love with you.”

“Roman.” She cried out. “I don’t know how this is going to work. I don’t have a clue how the kids….”

He placed his hand over her mouth and cut off the flow of words.

“I’m going to make love to you right now and then if you are lucky I’m going to make love to you again and next time you feel like kissing someone it will be me.”

He removed his hand and reached up pulled her head to his as he kissed her.

“I’m going to make you come.” He told her. “Over and over again.”

“Stop.” Ella cried out. “Stop.” She said again in a quieter voice.

“Sorry.” He cried out knowing what she was thinking in that moment.

“Why do you do that? It really hurts.”

“Because when we make love we are really close.” He said quietly.

“Then stop using sex to keep me because you cheapen it.” she cried out still hurt. “Those times you’ve …”

“Ella.” He called her name desperately. “You want to argue with me? Yes I’ve used sex to keep you somehow enslaved with me, ok? I knew that you couldn’t be with someone else and still make love to me. You want me to admit that? Well there I have. When you were seeing Nate and I thought it was another man I dragged you to bed and made love to you all night long. I kept you so hot and wanting me that I was able to drag you into the sand dunes and take you again. I’m a callous bastard I admit it.”

Ella sighed looking into his eyes.

“I’m the callous bastard who loves you so much I’ll do anything to stay married to you.” He said quietly.

Ella sighed and leaned down laying her head on his chest. She felt him wrap his arms around her

“Make love to me.” She whispered softly.

“Are you sure?” he asked back.

Ella nodded.

“I want us to make love.” She told him. “I don’t’ want someone else’s kisses I want yours.”

Roman groaned and rolled them over in the bed. He found himself loosing his balance and they tumbled to the floor together in a tangle of limbs.

“Oiw.” Ella cried out.

“Are you ok?” he asked quickly easing away from her.

“Not really I think you broke something.” She muttered.

“El?” he gasped kneeling to one side and looking at her.

“Any chance that no one heard that?” she asked him with a grin as she flexed her arm

“Oh none.” He told her lifting her up and placing her on the bed. “In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if somehow Aden heard it over the other side of the Bay.”

Ella glared at him as her face slowly turned red with embarrassment.

“Is your arm ok?” he asked quietly.

Ella nodded.

“But I can just imagine the look on Aden’s face when he fills out the hospital form. Sex related accident.”

Roman chuckled before he leaned forward and kissed her hand, pressing kisses all the way up her arm before he claimed her mouth.

“I hope you don’t think he would be shocked Ella Harris.”

She gave a little gasp as he found that spot on her neck that made her knees weak.

“Because his only thought would be why we hadn’t managed to have any sex related accidents before then.”

She giggled before putting her arms around his neck and pulling him to her until there were both laying back on the bed.

“I love you Roman Harris.” She whispered.

Chapter 52

Ella eased out of the bedroom looking around seeing Gabby’s place empty. She felt Roman moving behind her and she was tempted to tell him to shush for some reason.

“Anyone around?” he murmured with a laugh.

“Pack it in.” Ella hissed at him.

“Well I think they know we’ve been …” he paused and grinned at her. “At it like rabbits.”

Ella flushed and spun around looking at him.

“You.” She gasped out seeing him laugh.

She reached out and pushed his chest before storming out of the stables and stalking over to the house. She walked inside and saw all the kids sitting on the sofa with a movie showing on the tv.

“Hello Mother.” Meggy greeted her.

“Meggy.” Ella mumbled looking down.

“Did you and Father talk?” Georgie asked slowly.

Ella looked at them before she nodded. She moved through to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of beer from the fridge. Thinking better of it she put it back and reached for a can of coke and a glass. Sighing she added a slug of vodka to it before stepping back through to the lounge.

“So not only does she kiss another man, abandon us for two hours but now she turns up and starts drinking.” Sophie muttered.

Ella felt immediately guilty and put the glass down on the table.

“Fine come on get it out of your system.” She muttered to them folding her arms across herself.

Sammy sniggered before covering his mouth.

“You and Dad.” He muttered before catching a look off Sophie. “I mean Father.” He said.

Ella grinned then looking round her kids.

“Game is up.” she told them.

Meggy rolled her eyes and shot up off the sofa going over and hugging her.

“We got worried when Sophie said you’d kissed Angelo.” She murmured. “But you and Daddy still love each other don’t you?”

Ella nodded and pressed a kissed to the top of her daughter’s head.

“I knew it.” Meggy crowed looking at the others.

“Why did you kiss….” Georgie began.

“Because I was curious. He leaned forward to kiss me and I thought it would be interesting to kiss someone who didn’t see me as just a mum.” Ella explained knowing that they needed to hear it.

“We do take you for granted Mum.” Sophie cried guiltily. “We…”

“Shush guys.” Ella said holding up a hand to them. “It’s ok. I won’t be dating Angelo again. I’m happy being your Mum and if I weren’t well I’m sure I could farm some of you out.”

Sammy rolled his eyes and looked at Georgie.

“So is Daddy coming over tonight?” Georgie asked.

“Do you want him too?” Ella asked back.

Sammy nodded.

“I was asking your brother sweetie.” Ella said softly.

“He can come over.” Georgie murmured before standing up and walking out of the room.

Ella sighed and looked round the others.

“Me want Dada.” Lily cried. “Liam want dada.”

“Does Liam?” Ella asked her grinning as Lily nodded before poking her brother.

“Dada.” Liam called.

“Go get him then.” Ella said before she moved out of the room following Georgie. She found him sitting on the stairs with his drawing pad.

“Talk to me please.” She asked him.

“I can’t forgive him Mum.” Georgie said slowly.

“Then don’t.”

“You can mean that.” He muttered.

“Of course I want things to get back to some sort of normal around here but I’m not going to make you do something you aren’t ready to do. It’s going to take a lot of time to resolve things between us all.” She said sitting next to him on the stairs. “Show me?”

He handed over the sketch book and she opened it see his drawings.

“These are good.” She said to him quietly. “Are you feeling sad because you want to show your Dad?”

Georgie nodded biting his lip.

“I think that showing him doesn’t have to mean you forgive him. But you know if you do forgive him it doesn’t have to mean that you’ve forgotten what has happened.”

He nodded.

“Think they are good?” he asked.

She grinned.

“Amazing actually.” She whispered turning a page. He’d drawn soldiers in combat with explosions and jungle scenes and pictures of fruit and animals along with sunsets and sunrises and landscapes.

“Really?” he asked.

Ella reached over and ruffled his hair.

“Really. I’ve sent Liam to fetch your Dad over why don’t you show him this book.”

“Ok.” he mumbled.

“Georgie.” Ella began.

“I know.” He sighed. “I should be nice to him.”

“Actually I was going to suggest you get him a beer and sit out back with him for a while.” She gave him a grin. “And have one yourself.”

“Really?” he gasped.

“You are turning into a man I need to start treating you like one.” She murmured quietly.

“I…” he stopped.

“Go on.”

“I need to start shaving.” He muttered flushing red as he touched a hand to his face.

Ella moved her hand to his face expecting the familiar soft feel of his skin under her hand groaning when she felt stubby bristles.

“See.” He muttered with a grin.

“I do indeed.” She said with a grimace. “So want to talk to anyone in particular?”

He nodded.

“Perhaps over a beer?”

He nodded again.

“Then why are you still here dude?” she asked with a grin.

“Mum you are the best you know.” He mumbled flushing with embarrassment.

“Get out of here.” She murmured handing over the pad. She watched as he moved through the house before she headed up the stairs and into the bedroom. She stepped through to the en suite stripping of her clothes and climbing into the shower. She let the hot water skim over her body before grabbing the shampoo and washing her hair. After rinsing the lather out or her hair she added extra conditioner hoping to tackle some of the tangles in it she thought as she blushed. She had no idea why he liked to kiss off her lipgloss or tangle her hair. It was like he was marking his territory somehow and that thought made her frown. She climbed out of the shower wrapping a towel around herself and drying off before getting dressed in a long maxi skirt and vest top over cream lace underwear. She slipped her feet into flat ballerina pumps and headed down the stairs.

“Mama.” August called out as soon as she saw her.

“Hey sweet girl what shall we have for dinner?” Ella said going over and picking her up.

She looked out the back and saw Roman and Georgie in deep conversation and tried not to smile before looking at the other kids.

“Dinner?” she said again.

“Is Daddy going to cook?” Sammy asked with a shy look on his face.

“Uh huh Samson.” Ella smiled over at her son. “Is that fair making him come over and cook for us?”

“Oh very fair.” Meggy began grinning at her brother. “We have missed a year of his cooking you know.”

Ella rolled her eyes.

“Well Chinese or pizza.” She murmured to them. “choose.”

“Chi’nesy.” August said to her.

“Well that is one vote.” Ella grinned and kissed her daughter.

“I think we can do Chinese.” Sophie said looking round the group.

Ella nodded.

“Ok lets ask Irene and Daddy and does someone want to go over and ask Mike and Danni? Remembering to be quiet in case Jennie is asleep.” She added the last as Meggy and Sammy shot up and began moving out the back.

“Mama.” Fleur cried out toddling over to her.

“Is it Fleur time?” Ella asked moving so she was kneeling down in front of her other daughter.

Fleur nodded giving her a smile.

“No Mama.” August protested clinging on to her.

“You are so not telling me you did that with us?” Sophie said.

Ella smiled at her.

“Of course I did. “ she told her. “How else was I going to cope with the pair of you?”

Sophie rolled her eyes trying to look uninterested but spoiled it by grinning as she watched her mother swapping babies over.

“Want to grab the menu and a notepad?” Ella asked Sophie.

She nodded and moved into the kitchen getting them. Ella made her way over to the sofa and sat down next to Lily and Liam. She held her hand out to August smiling as her daughter ran over to her and climbed up on the sofa next to her.

“So what have you all been doing today?” she said softly. “Have you had a naps?”

August nodded and pointed to Lily.

“Cuddles.”

“Your sister was cuddling you?” Ella asked her smiling over at Lily. She chuckled as Lily blushed and tried to hide her face with the throw.

August nodded giggling at Lily.

“Is she playing peek a boo with you?” Ella murmured to her.

August nodded before crawling over Ella’s lap and sitting next to Lily smiling as her sister put the throw over their laps. She turned and made sure Liam had some too not noticing her mum smiling at her.

“We love our Lily girl don’t we?” Ella said softly before leaning over and kissing the top of Lily’s head.

August clapped her hands and grinned at her.

“Ok what do we want?” Sophie asked moving to sit on the corner of the coffee table.

Ella told her daughter what she wanted and then what the babies wanted before she eased Fleur down beside her sister before she stood moving out to the veranda.

“Hello.” Roman said softly.

“Hey, Sophie is writing down orders.” She explained grinning as Roman carefully handed back Georgie’s sketchbook to him.

“He’s pretty good isn’t he?” Ella commented.

Roman nodded.

“There used to be an arts programme at the college in Summer.” He said slowly. “I used to think about going on it.” he added explained why he knew about it.

“That might be worth checking out.” Ella said placing her hand on Georgie’s shoulder.

He looked up at her and nodded.

“I think I might go and tell Sophie what I want.” He said standing and moving inside.

Ella watched him go before she turned to Roman.

“He could have a career.”

“I know.” Ella said. “He has other sketchbooks upstairs.”

Roman nodded.

“How long…”

“A year.” Ella answered his question quietly knowing that it would upset him.

“Oh.” Roman said draining his beer.

He stood up and looked at the empty bottle.

“Want another one?” she asked softly.

He nodded.

“And maybe a chaser of a bottle of whiskey.” He muttered looking out on the garden.

“Well if you hadn’t have done what you did Georgie may never have picked up a pencil and started drawing and Sophie may never have learned to cook.” Ella pointed out biting her lip.

“He took over being the man of the house didn’t he?” Roman asked quietly.

Ella nodded still biting her lip aware of the sudden fragility of her husband. She hated seeing him like this.

“He couldn’t have done that if you hadn’t been such an influence on him Roman. He’s your son you should be proud of him.”

Roman turned and looked at her. A heartbeat went past before he spoke again.

“I’ve not been half the parent you have Ella.” He told her in a quiet voice. “I’ve never put them first like you have. I’ve never really listened to them. I’ve never known the right things to say when they are sad or upset.”

“Then why does Sammy worship you as his hero? Why does Georgie want to go into the army just like you? Why has Sophie put aside her photography and modelling and picked up an apron and began cooking? Why did you risk coming back to see Sammy when you found out he wasn’t doing too good?” she asked her heart breaking for him.

“Why was Sammy suffering?” Roman mocked himself. “Because I chose to go into witness …”

“To make sure we weren’t hurt again.” Georgie said breaking through the conversation. “That someone like William or Elliot couldn’t get to us. You were protecting us knowing that you would miss out on helping Mum with the twins or see us at Christmas or find out if Lily gets out of the pool when she’s told to.”

Roman nodded swallowing the lump he had in his throat.

“See.” Ella said quietly going over and putting her arm around Georgie’s shoulders mentally noting that he was taller than she was already. “Now you need to give Sophie your order so she can phone it through.”

Georgie laughed.

“See Dad we get important stuff from you and the ability to order junk food from Mum.”

“Hey!” Ella cried out giving him a slight push. “So grounded young man.” She added before moving over to Roman, she ran her hand down his back and leaned up to kiss his lips. “Come on spend some time with us please.”

He smiled at her and grinned over at Georgie.

“Been surfing lately?” he asked.

Georgie nodded.

“We go two three times a week. Mum gets up early.”

“She does?” Roman asked. “What…” he began.

“Complete that sentence Harris and you’ll have to go back in witness protection.” Ella threatened.

Georgie laughed.

“Mummy.” Meggy called out running over to them. “They are coming. Irene too.”

Ella nodded.

“She was opening up her place. Is she moving out?” Sammy asked catching up with his sister.

“Not really she’s only going to be in the garden isn’t she?” Ella pointed out feeling a little hurt that the other woman hadn’t mentioned anything to her. “Go give your order to Sophie.”

Sammy nodded and led Meggy inside.

“I’ll go too.” Roman murmured.

“Mum.” Georgie said.

“I think there is a place up the coast that you and your Dad could go too for a surf.” She said softly.

“Wasn’t what I was gonna say but well do you think he’d like to go with me? Thanks so much Mum, y’know for making me talk to him.”

Ella grinned at him before she went and kissed his cheek before she headed into the lounge. She grabbed her drink form earlier and sat next to the babies again smiling as Lily crawled into her lap pulling the throw with her.

“Lily naps?” Ella asked.

Lily nodded rubbing at her eyes.

“Ah bless is Lily tired babes?”

“Lily is sleepy.” Liam told her.

“Come on then we’ll close our eyes for a minute.” Ella whispered and curled up with her daughter. She wasn’t surprised when the others moved and curled up with her. Just five minutes she told herself as she drifted asleep.

Roman walked through to the lounge and grinned watching the children moving so they could cuddle with Ella. He walked over to them and picked up the twins carrying them squirming out of the room and up the stairs placing them in the middle of the bed. He made a second trip collecting Lily and Liam before a final trip carrying up Ella. He put them all in the bed and tucked them in smiling because Ella hadn’t woken when he’d moved them.

“Dada too?” Lily asked sleepily.

“Not yet.” Roman promised himself before kissing his daughter. “I’ll come up and get you when it’s dinner time.”

Liam nodded.

“Sing rolls.” He whispered rolling on to his back.

Roman smiled and eased out of the room.

I've decided that I'm going to set a challenge with this update. :ph34r: I want to see how many people are out there still reading this story so I won't post another update until I get ten comments. :rolleyes: No Pollymoon that doesn't mean you can get away with posting one comment and then nine more asking for an update! :lol: I'm pretty sure there are a lot of lurkers out there.... (Hi Scotcaz22, how are you? :P ) now is your chance to say hi....

Chapter 53

Roman quietly stepped into the bedroom and woke the kids telling them dinner was downstairs. He grinned as Lily shepherded the children out of the room and then smiled as he realised Ella had still now awoken. He leaned down to her and kissed the top of her head before kissing her closed eyes and then finally her lips.

“Hey sleepy, wake up.” he whispered.

She gave a little murmur before rolling over on to her back.

“Ella.” He called softly stroking a hand down her pale face.

She stirred and blinked before sighing.

“Ella Harris do I have to kiss you awake?” he called out louder.

She gave a half smile before her face relaxed once more.

Roman chuckled before lowering his mouth to hers and kissing her. He smiled as her hands moved around his neck and she held him.

“Witch.” He whispered against her lips, smiling again as her eyes slid slowly open and she looked at him.

“There are only three ways of waking me up.” she told him. “And you should know them all by now.”

“I disagree.” Roman murmured easing back and allowing her to sit up in the bed. “There are many ways of waking you.”

“List them.” Ella challenged him.

“Kissing you.” He murmured leaning forward and kissing her.

“That is one.”

“With coffee.”

Ella grinned.

“That is usually the safest option.”

“I know.” Roman agreed with a muffled sound as Ella hit him in the ribs. “Then there is…” he stopped as his eyes roamed down her body. “making love.” He finished in a husky voice.

Ella chuckled before she leaned forward and kissed the end of his nose.

“That is three.” She told him.

“Then there is …”he looked into her eyes. “very carefully if you are in a bad mood.”

“Uh huh.” Ella fixed him with a look.

“Stroking your back.”

“That doesn’t count because you usually do that when you want to make love.” Ella grumbled.

“But it wakes you up.” He told her.

He leaned forward and kissed her again feeling happy that her arms were wrapped around him and she was holding him.

“Are you two coming or what?” Georgie asked from the hallway.

Roman leaned back and smiled ruefully.

“Does he know…” he began to ask.

“Roman!” Ella gasped his name blushing a bright red.

“So he doesn’t know what….”

“Roman Harris.” Ella gasped his name and pushed at his chest scrambling to get out of the bed. The covers tangled around her legs and she fell forward into his arms. He overbalanced pulling her on top of him, her legs splayed either side of his hips. She pushed at hi chest and forced herself upright groaning as she felt the muscles in her back protesting. She arched backwards trying to ease the spasm.

“Er I’ll come back in a minute.” Georgie said with an embarrassed look on his face easing back out the room.

“Wait it …” Ella called desperately.

She looked down and saw Roman grinning at her.

“You bastard.” She cried out moving off him.

She ran to the door and tried to stop Georgie to explain that it wasn’t what it looked like when she felt Roman grab her around the waist and pull her back against him.

“You going to finish what you just started?” he asked rubbing himself against her.

She felt the hardness of his arousal and bit back a moan.

“Stop.” She cried.

Roman pulled her inside the room and pushed the door shut.

“Five minutes.” He whispered. “They think we are doing it anyway.”

He ran his hand down her thigh and back up pulling the material of the long skirt she was wearing up too. He placed his hand on her thigh rubbing himself against her before stroking her thigh gently his fingers moving inwards with upward stroke.

“Roman stop.” Ella said pulling against the arm around her waist.

“I can’t.” he whispered kissing her neck. “I want you.”

“no.” she cried out pulling forward.

He pushed gently as she moved pressing her gently against the door. Keeping the arm around her waist he pulled up her skirt even more cupping her cute behind grinning as he encountered the skimpy pink lace panties she was wearing. He pushed them aside can ran his hand all over her.

“Roman.” Ella gasped.

“I need you now.” He told her kissing the back of her neck once more. He reached inbetween them and opened his jeans pushing them down ignoring the way she squirmed in his hold. Pulling on her panties he pushed them down and began stroking her before forcing one of his legs between hers.

He moved the arm he had around her waist putting his hand up her top and finding her lace covered breast. His fingers traced around her firm flesh as he thought about how it looked and tasted and he moaned under his breath gasping as he joined his body to hers. He felt her shudder and pulled her hard against him.

“God.” He gasped out.

“Roman.” She cried.

He thrust into her holding her tight against him, his breath coming in swift pants.

“God stop this. The kids are just outside.” She hissed at him.

“Stop talking.” Roman grunted against the back of her neck before kissing her. Moving his hand up to her face he turned her head and captured her lips in a searing kiss. He flicked out his tongue tracing the outline of her mouth.

Running his hands down her body he slid one hand down her thigh, moving it until he cupped her sex. Feeling them joined so intimately threatened to tip him over the edge and he kissed her hard to mask the moan that wanted to crawl out of his mouth. He teased her with his fingers as they moved together. Feeling himself reaching his peak he tried to think of things to stop him from climaxing too quickly and failed. He gave a last thrust and collapsed against her.

“God.” He groaned his breath coming in harsh sounding pants as he recovered. He felt her stiffen next to him before she reached for his hands and tugged them away from her.

“I said I didn’t want to.” She bit out.

“El.” Roman gasped.

He pulled away from her feeling his legs shake as he took a step backward.

Ella turned and looked past him before she ran into the en suite. He heard the shower come on and he moved into the en suite seeing her climbed naked under the shower being careful not to wet her hair. He watched her for a minute before he turned away and moved back into the bedroom straightening the covers on the bed and fixing his clothes. Easing out of the room he headed into the other bathroom and splashed water on his face gathering his composure back before heading down the stairs.

“Where is Mummy?” Meggy cried out seeing him walk into the room.

“She’ll be down in a minute.“ Roman said a smile on his face. He caught Georgie looking at him and he grinned back seeing his son look away embarrassed. He manoeuvred until he stood next to him and lowered his voice. “We were just fooling about. You didn’t walk in on anything.” He said quietly.

“It’s none of my business.” Georgie snapped.

“It is.” Roman said just as quietly his eyes on the other making sure they weren’t paying attention to them The last thing he wanted was to have Georgie feel embarrassed. “You have been looking out for your Mum and it makes me proud. I’m glad she has you.”

He looked around again before heading to the table and putting some food on to a plate. He put that to one side before collecting a second plate and filling that. Half turning his head he looked over at the door and saw Ella walking into the room.

“Mama sing rolls.” Lily cried out.

“So I see Lily girl.” She murmured before walking to the table. She saw Irene sitting there and smiled at her. “Something you want to tell me Step-mama?” she asked.

“Yeah, you might as well know.” Irene began. “Your Dad is coming home.”

“Oh Irene.” Ella gasped.

“There is something else.” She murmured glancing around the room. “He’s retiring.”

“Thank god.” Ella gasped out tears springing into her eyes.

She turned to Roman and he reached out carefully to her before grinning stupidly as she moved into his arms and began sobbing in his arms.

“It’s ok.” he said. “Your dad is coming home.”

“I know.” She whispered. “I’ve wanted him home forever.” she added sounding much like her younger self.

Roman half smiled and stroked her hair.

“El it’s ok.”

She nodded before easing her head up and wiping at her eyes.

“Talk to us.” Mike said quietly.

“Just old memories.” Ella whispered. “Just when he came home things would get better.”

Roman nodded knowing she was remembering her childhood. He put his fingers under her china and lifted her head to look at him.

“It’s ok.” he told her again.

She nodded.

“Better feed her.” Mike called out.

“I know.” Roman said softly.

Ella smiled at him before accepting the plate he handed her and collecting cutlery. She moved to go sit on the sofa next to Gabby. Roman sat the other side of her balancing his plate on his lap.

“So who wants to tell me why these keep getting called sing rolls?” he asked holding up a spring roll.

“Cause August Sing roll.” Lily told him.

Roman looked at Ella as she chuckled next to him.

“There you go.” She told him as she sniggered.

“That is clear as mud.”

“Dada funny.” Liam called. “Mud is brown.”

Meggy snorted before she laughed out loud covering her mouth hastily.

“So ladylike.” Sophie muttered giving her sister a look.

“Just like you when you burped all over Steve.” Meggy shot back.

“Oh you…” Sophie cried. “You promised not to say anything!” she gasped before giving Meggy a push.

“Any time you want to take over from me Dad feel free.” Georgie murmured.

Roman grinned happily and smiled at his son.

“No thanks son, looks like you got everything under control.”

“Huh?” Sammy muttered his mouth full.

“Manners.” Georgie and Roman said at the same time.

Ella shook her head catching Mike grinning over at her.

“So Granddad is coming home.” Gabby said slowly. “What you going to do with him under your feet all day Irene?”

Irene gave Gabby a look.

“No you ain’t borrowing him for babysitting.” She told her.

“Damn.” Gabby muttered frowning as Danni laughed at her.

“I’m sure he’s going to spend time with all of us but it might be nice to let him and Irene have some space.” Ella said glancing around her children.

Sammy immediately looked away.

“Samson?” Roman asked noticing.

The corner of Ella’s lips twitched as she looked at her son seeing how happy he looked with being called Samson once more.

“Just wanted to play chess with him.” he muttered looking down at his plate.

“You had a game with Mike yet?” Ella asked him.

Sammy shook his head.

“Sounds like I’ve just been volunteered.” Mike grinned.

“Shall I get the chess set out?” Georgie asked.

“In a bit and the cards.” Roman answered him.

Ella chuckled making Roman flush with embarrassment.

“uh huh.” She murmured reaching over and kissing him.

“Have you finished?” he asked looking at her empty plate.

Ella nodded smiling as Roman took hold of her plate.

“Seconds?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“Not for a minute.” She told him moving off the sofa and sitting with the babies round the coffee table. “Ok August?” she asked helping her with her dinner. She did the same with Fleur.

“Nana.” Daniella said shyly.

“Hello baby girl.” Ella called out grinning as her granddaughter climbed into her lap. “Want some help too?”

Daniella nodded pointing with her spoon to her plate.

Ella held out her hand for the spoon and grinned when Daniella handed it too her. Spooning up some chicken and rice she swirled the spoon around before touching the end of it to Daniella’s lips.

“Open wide.” She called.

“No.” Daniella giggled.

“No?” Ella asked.

“Noise.” She instructed.

“Here comes the aeroplane.” Ella called moving the spoon again. “Brumm…” she murmured. “Brumm……..”

Daniella opened her mouth wide letting Ella feed her.

“Chew chew.” Ella told her.

Daniella nodded chewing slowly.

Roman watched her before catching sight of Mike and Danni across the room. They were holding hands and looking into one another’s eyes. He knew they were thinking of their daughter the small doll-like Jennie curled up asleep in the crib knowing that Ella will at some point be doing the same for her.

“Mama.” Fleur called.

“You too little Flower.” Ella murmured quietly.

Roman started looking over at them before he moved to sit next to Ella.

“Little flower?” he asked.

Ella smiled and leaned over to kiss him.

“I still have it.” she told him.

“Mummy?” Meggy asked.

Ella sighed and looked around the group.

“Ok, you all have beautiful names that mean something.” She said beginning with the way the usual story started when they wanted to hear about how they got their names. She had never told them about how she chose the twins names before. “I met your Daddy in…”

“August.” Sophie muttered. “I wondered why you called her that..” She added when she felt the others look at her.

“That is right.” Ella confirmed. “And your Dad gave me a white flower.”

“Fleur.” Georgie said nodding.

Ella looked at Roman and gave him a quick smile.

“Fleur Samantha and August Lily.” She murmured quietly. “I added middle names when I had them registered.”

“August Lily?” Meggy scoffed.

“Lily?” Lily cried out.

Ella nodded grinning at her daughter.

“Named after her big sister who was so sad we didn’t have her.” she explained. “August Lily Harris.”

“Samantha?” Sammy groaned. “They are going to tease me forever.” he added frowning.

“I think it’s cool.” Meggy told him. “I notice they didn’t call either of them after me.”

“That is because there is only one Megan Hope Harris.” Ella said softly. “Your name is as unique as you.”

Meggy grinned.

“Oh so you wait until I’m dead to name them.” Roman said after a moment.

Ella nodded.

“Dead, asleep, out of the way.” She confirmed. “Any one of those will do so that I get my own way.”

“Cool names.” Mike murmured. “Funny how we call our kids special things.”

“Your dad started it.” Ella said quietly.

“When he called you Ella.” Gabby guessed.

Ella nodded blushing when she felt Roman stroke his hand down her back. She turned and met his eyes before sighing at the look in them.

“Love you Elizabeth Louise Laura Addison Harris.” He said quietly before he kissed her.

Sophie gave Georgie a quick look and saw him nod and smile at her and she let out a small sigh of relief.

“Ok someone get the chess set out.” Mike called. “I feel the need to beat someone.”

“Huh.” Sammy said narrowing his eyes and looking at his brother. “I beat Mum.” He announced.

“How?” Mike shot out the single worded question looking shocked.

Sammy smiled.

“Not telling.”

Ella grinned looking round the room at her family.

So you couldn't even scare up 10 comments.... :blink: you are all banned..... :huh: And er..Hey, Scotcaz22 isn't it a bit dark in lurkers corner? Don't you want to come out and stay awhile?? :lol:

For those of you I haven't banned here is an update....

Chapter 54

“Ok everyone bedtime.” Ella called eventually. The babies had already gone up as had Irene. Gabby had taken Daniella over to the stables turning in earlier. That left the older kids with Mike and Danni. Little Jennie had managed to sleep through most of the night in the crib set up beside where Danni was curled up on the end of the sofa.

“Mum I’m nearly beating him! Five more minutes.” Mike called out flushing as everyone laughed at him.

Ella stood from her seat on the sofa next to Roman and walked over to the dinning table where Sammy and Mike had set up the chess set and were in the middle of their third game. She looked down at the black and white set and smiled.

“Whose move?” she asked.

“Work it out smartarse.” Mike muttered giving her a look.

Ella grinned and picked up one of his pieces moving it on the board.

“Check.” She told Sammy.

“No fair I’m not playing both of you.” Sammy replied giving them a look.

Georgie moved to stand beside his younger brother and looked at the board. He grinned and leaned down whispering in his ear before the two conferred and made their move.

Ella nodded and bit her lip before she moved Mike’s queen to a seeming innocuous place.

“We can take it.” Georgie told him.

“But why would she move there?” Sammy said looking worried.

He gave a little sigh before lining up a piece to take the queen.

Ella grinned and moved Mike’s knight into position.

“Check.” She said softly.

Sammy and Georgie conferred once more before moving the King.

“Check” Ella said again moving the queen back into play.

Mike groaned as they took the queen.

“Check.” Ella murmured using a pawn to take their bishop and put the King in check.

Sammy narrowed his eyes and looked at her.

“Very funny.” He muttered.

He moved his King to only available space on the board backing it into a corner.

Ella moved the pawn to the end space.

“Queen please.” She asked. “And oh yeah, Check and Mate.”

“Mother.” Sammy and Georgie groaned as Mike chuckled.

“Alright Sammy how did you beat her?” Mike asked after a moment.

“She played without her queen.” Sammy muttered. “And we swapped the play around half way through the game.” He admitted.

Ella smiled and leaned over kissing the top of Sammy’s head.

“So you are still the family champion.” Mike said quietly.

“Won’t be for much longer the way this one is playing.” Ella said with a smile. “Now bed please it is really late and I don’t want you grumpy in the morning we have to go shopping.”

“Shopping?” Sammy asked. “Not…”

“Girlie shopping?” Meggy finished his sentence. “No this is worse. Uniform shopping.”

“That’s right I have to get Sammy’s and your uniform for highschool. Plus Lily’s for school.”

“Lily is starting school?” Roman asked.

Ella nodded.

“Thank god.” She said.

“Hey, I’m protesting that on the part of my sister.” Mike murmured.

“Protest all you like you’ll end up babysitting.” Ella threatened.

“Sorry I have to look after Jennie.” Mike murmured groaning when Danni snorted.

“I’ll remember that for the next night feed.” Danni told him.

“This is very nice but ….” Ella said.

Sophie stood and walked over to her Dad.

“Night.” She said to him kissing his cheek. She went over to Danni and hugged her before heading out of the room. She paused in the doorway and waited as Meggy said her goodnights.

“Night Dad.” Georgie murmured.

He turned and looked at his mum before running over to her and whispering in her ear.

“Thank you.” Ella said going red.

“Well?” Georgie asked.

“Goodnight.” Ella called giving him a push towards the door.

He laughed and collected Sammy before they wandered off.

“Want a game?” Mike asked pointing to the chess set.

“S’cuse me Mr! We need to take our daughter home and get some sleep.” Danni said indignantly.

Mike groaned and stood up from the table putting the set away. He looked over at Danni and flushed when she grinned at him.

“Come on get our lovely daughter.” she smiled over at him as he walked and gently picked up the crib. Danni collected the stand and they walked out of the door heading for the pool house.

“I better go to.” Roman said reluctantly. “Unless you want a night cap?”

Ella shook her head.

“I never wear them.” she told him and grinned as he groaned at the old joke.

“uh huh.” Roman murmured standing up.

He glanced down at the table and began clearing it, taking things through to the kitchen.

“Want to know what Georgie said?” Ella called softly

Roman paused putting the last of the things in the dishwasher.

“What?” he asked. “What did he say?”

Ella turned out the lights and moved to the stairs smiling as she began walking up them knowing that Roman was watching her. He shook his head, stopped what he was doing and ran after her. He caught up with her outside the bedroom sweeping her into his arms he walked through the door. He kicked it shut behind him and deposited her on to the bed. Turning he locked the door and looked back at her.

“So what did he say?” Roman asked stripping off his shirt.

“That since we are doing it you might as well stay over tonight.” She confessed watching as he stripped.

“Glad that bribe I slipped him worked.” Roman commented.

“Roman are you planning to have sex?”

“That is the general idea.” He nodded.

“Well we have had sex five times today. Aren’t you worried that maybe you are avoided our issues with physical intimacy.” She asked him.

Roman looked at her and then down at himself seeing his aroused flesh pushing at the material of his boxer shorts.

“Possibly.” He said. “But lets not tell the orgasmatron otherwise he’d just get a headache.”

“I’m serious.” Ella muttered sitting up and looking into his eyes, which considering he’d just pushed his boxers down was hard. In fact quite a few things were hard she’d noticed. “I didn’t even want to have sex with you earlier and you didn’t listen to me. It’s like you are…”

Roman sighed and walked over to the bed sitting next to her.

“El.” He began.

“Yeah Roman we need to talk about that but I’m more concerned about the way you seem to be avoiding working out how we are going to get out of this mess.” She said

“I don’t know.” Roman confessed. “I really don’t know.”

“Do you think my Dad knows about you?” she said after a moment. “Because he hasn’t mentioned retiring for a long time. I mean he’s been past the age for a long time and they didn’t even mention him going for semi-retirement at his mid way point.”

Roman sighed.

“He doesn’t know.” He finally said. “I mean he has access to my file but most of this is classified.”

Ella gave him a look.

“Fine, both Mike and definitely your Dad have security classification.” He admitted.

“Yeah.” Ella nodded.

“But this was done by General Jackson. Different section.”

“How did Mike get recalled?” Ella asked him. “And why would they want to get Jacko back?”

Roman shook his head.

“How did Alexi Petrovic escape?” Ella asked.

“I don’t have these answers Ella.” Roman said feeling at a disadvantage.

“I think we need to find out.” she said to him before standing and moving over to her dressing table. He watched as she sat in front of it and began to run a brush through her hair. Looking at the way she was sitting, her back straight and her shoulders set, he thought about moving out of the room and heading back to his room in the stables.

She stood and walked into the en suite running water into the sink and grabbing her toothbrush. Placing a small amount of paste on to it she began cleaning her teeth as she looked through the cabinet and got out the spare toothbrush. Walking back into the room she held up the spare trying not to grin at the puppy dog look on his face.

“Thank you.” He said standing up and walking over to her.

He collected the toothbrush and reached around her for the toothpaste.

Ella rinsed her mouth and stripped off her clothes heading into the shower turning on the hot water. Roman watched her carefully like any minute she was going to turn and throw him out. He hated the uncertain feelings going through him and knew that was part of the reason he didn’t want to think of the future. What it she decided that everything they had gone through wasn't enough to keep them together. Rinsing his mouth he used the mouthwash frowning as he realised she had bought the one he didn’t’ like and then he silently cursed. Why would she buy the one he liked anymore? He’d died.

“Frowning.” She called over the running water.

He spat out the mouthwash and looked at her.

“Mouthwash.” He said back.

“Yeah, I didn’t have to compromise over stuff with you dead.” She grinned at the look on his face.

“Is that all our marriage was to you? A long list of compromise? I mean your career and moving to the Bay.” He pointed out. “You just keep changing to fit me in your life and now what are you doing?”

Ella smiled and turned off the shower walking over to collect a towel wrapping it around her.

“Well I’m about to get into bed naked. It’s a big bed too.” She said dropping the wet towel on the floor after a moment and walking into the bedroom. He watched her go before shaking his head and following her turning out the light in the bathroom. Looking at her he watched as she pulled back the covers in the bed and lay down. He sighed as she began to run her hand down over her body, her fingers trailing over her skin just that way his would. When he saw her fondle her own breast he grit his teeth before running over to the bed and climbing on it beside her.

“Witch.” He ground out lowering his head to her breast. He kissed all around the globe before easing his tongue out and teasing her pale pink nipple.

“Uh huh.” She moaned softly.

Roman sighed and moved between her open legs feeling like his body was on fire, he was that desperate to have her. He felt her move under him as he worshiped her breasts.

“I hope you haven’t forgotten that you owe me.” She whispered.

“I do? But didn’t you have a multiple orgasm earlier?” he asked smiling as he watched the tide of colour sweep over her chest and up her face as she blushed.

“I may have done but you enjoyed me against the door. Not for the first time either.” She said softly forcing herself not to touch him even though she wanted to stroke his skin and hear him moan out his pleasure at her touch. “Are you enjoying the risk of us getting caught?”

Roman stopped and looked into her eyes.

“God no.” he cried out remembering the horror of making love to her on the island and then finding out that Elliot was there.

Ella raised her eyebrows as she looked at him.

“Better be more careful then.” she murmured leaning up to kiss him only for him to pull away.

“No.” Roman said catching hold of the hand she reached out to him and easing away

“What is it?” Ella asked sounding hurt.

“Nothing. I’m just not in the mood anymore.” He said rolling over and presenting his back to her.

“Well I am.” Ella muttered slapping his back. “I’m in the mood for a bloody good fight. What is it? First you are moaning about our marriage and then as we start to make love you turn away from me. What is it?”

“Just leave me alone Ella.”

“Fine.” She said siting up and looking at him. She reached out and put both hands on his back pushing him out of the bed.

“What the ….” He cried out landing on the floor.

“I’m leaving you so alone.” Ella snapped at him. “Get out of my bed. Pack you things and get out of my house.”

“Gladly.” Roman muttered standing up and looking around the room. He saw his clothes still in the rumpled pile near the door and frowned thinking of how happy he’d been at finally getting to sleep in their bed just a few minutes ago and he sank down to sit on the bed beside her.

“El.” He murmured.

“Yes.” She said.

“Why do you put up with me? Gardy, Elliot, Mark and now this? Has it been worth it? Losing the babies we have? Tell me has loving me been worth all the heartache I’ve brought you?”

Ella sighed.

“No.” she told him quietly.

His eyes shot to hers and he gasped.

“It’s been worth that and so much more. I know I haven’t grieved for this baby, There is nothing to show for me being pregnant, just a card with an appointment on that I never went to. But when I was so low and scared I came to you and you made it ok and then you knew that I needed you and came to me. You think that the bad stuff is going to stop us being together? It can’t touch us we’re soul mates Roman Harris. Together we can face anything. “

“Ella.” He whispered.

“So go if you don’t believe in us Roman.” She told him. “But your heart wants to be here and you know that the only way to come back to us is if you face this man and end it. “

Roman sighed and shook his head.

“I can’t let you get hurt.” He cried out. “And the kids. What was the point of the last year if I foolishly let any of you get hurt.”

“Then go.” Ella said calmly. “We’ve managed without you before we’ll do it again. In fact I’ll make it easier for you I’ll pack up the kids and take them overseas.”

Roman sucked in a breath trying not to think about how much that would hurt.

“You’ll never have to worry about us again.” She promised him.

“Oh it’s so easy for you isn’t it?” Roman muttered. “Just run away and not have to…”

Ella scrambled on the bed and lifted her hand slapping him round the face.

“Easy?” she cried out slapping him again. “Easy? Was it easy when I could barely move but I had to arrange your funeral? Was it easy when I had to tell the children you were dead? When I had to tell Miles?” she wrapped her hands around herself and looked at him. “Was it easy when Irene moved in and took over looking after the twins because I couldn’t lift them? Or when Sammy was so messed up that he nearly broke Meggy’s nose in his anger? Or that in the middle of all that I kept dreaming about you and going crazy because you’d be so alive in my dreams.” She took a deep breath trying to control the sudden rage that was going through her and making her whole body shake. “Or when I can’t even put on a simple plaster on our kids because I can’t stop shaking and I feel sick when I see blood remembering how I watched you dying in front of me?”

“Ella.” Roman cried out.

“Don’t tell me how lonely you’ve been for us Roman. Don’t give me that expecting me to feel sorry for you because you chose that. You walked away from us and we had to deal with what you left behind.”

He shook his head and began to reach for his clothes.

“But that was easy for you wasn’t it.” she told him.

He dropped his top and turned looking at her.

“No.” he shouted. “No it wasn’t…”

Ella reached out and placed her hand over his mouth.

“Don’t wake the children.” She muttered.

His eyes met hers and he reached up pulling her hand away and yanking her over to him. His mouth crashed down on hers and he kissed her hard, feeling her shake under him as he tugged her down in the bed and covered her body with his own.

Ella tried to move her head to stop the kiss but his lips were merciless. He ran his hands over the body easing his legs between hers. She groaned, his kiss swallowing the sound. She reached out and pushed at him feeling her hands uselessly collide with the solid muscle in his chest. Moving her head she managed to open her mouth and bite his lip causing him to stop and look at her.

“Not in anger Roman. Don’t do that to me.” She said quietly.

He sighed and eased his legs out from between hers before he rolled over away from her.

“I think I should go back to the shack in the morning.” He said softly.

“Maybe.” Ella said.

“I won’t be back.” he added.

“That is your choice.” She whispered.

He nodded.

“Yeah, I accept full responsibility for making really crappy choices.” He said wryly.

Ella wiped at her eyes before she reached for the covers and pulled them up rolling on to her side. She reached out and switched off her light and closed her eyes.

Roman sighed debating whether to get up and leave before he groaned and turned to her. He sighed again as he pulled her into his arms and snuggled up to her. This might be the last chance he got to hold her and he couldn’t pass up that.

“Not in anger, don’t ever put me in that position again.” She whispered before she turned and kissed him.

“I’m sorry.” He cried out.

“Shush.” She said softly before her lips met his.

He reached out and ran his hands down her back pulling her closer groaning as she lifted her leg and seductively stroked his.

“Ella,” he whispered his hands framing her face before he put them around her waist and rolling on to his back he lifted her on top of him. She rocked against him before moving so that their bodies could join.

“Ahh!” he moaned softly biting his lip as the pleasure swamped him.

She moved up and down finding her rhythm feeling his hands splayed on her waist as he held her, helping her move on him.

“Like that?” she whispered teasingly running a hand down his chest.

“Love it.” he said softly. “Really really love it.” he gasped.

“Uh huh.” She said. “It’s my turn.” She smiled down at him. “You’ve already had your pleasure.”

“Well I hate to point this out to you but if you keep that up I’m not going to be able to stop…”

“Stop?” Ella grinned at him and stilled hearing his sigh of disappointment.

“Ella quit it.” he growled out to her. “I need you dammit.”

“Wasn’t what you were saying a few minutes ago.”

Roman met her gaze feeling them locked together in a primitive embrace and growled. He sat up and wrapped his arms around her before kissing her. He puled her down on top of him chest to chest before rolling them over in the bed and taking control of their lovemaking.

Running his hand teasingly down her body he moved it between their bodies and began stroking her knowing that he wanted to have her wild for him. He heard little gasps coming from her lips and sighed kissing her again and capturing her cries.

“Love you.” He promised her. “So much.”

She moaned arching as she felt pleasure going through her.

“Yes.” He murmured triumphantly.

Ella shook her head as she sighed.

“Love you.” Roman moaned against her lips.

She smiled slowly before wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing herself close to him.

“Love you too.” She whispered feeling him moving against her.

He kissed her slowly his arms tight around and knew they had come close to losing each other tonight. Too close.

Chapter 55

Roman woke slowly and looked around. He remembered the row from the previous night and it left a sour taste in his mouth. Looking at the clock on the bedside cabinet he saw it was late and wondered why he’d slept so long. Ella was gone and from the silence in the house so were most of the kids. Grabbing a quick shower he dressed in yesterdays clothes before padding down the stairs and to the kitchen.

“She’s gone.” Irene called out from the back veranda.

Roman felt a jolt go through him before he forced down his panic and moved out to look at the older woman.

“Shopping?” he asked making sure his voice sounded normal.

Irene nodded as she sipped from her cup.

“Left an envelope for you.” She murmured. “But if you ask me you should get your stuff and get out of here.”

“Irene.”

“Don’t go giving me those big eyes of yours Roman Harris or try any of your soft soap. You’ve hurt that girlie and I mean deep hurt. I don’t know why she’d hanging around waiting for you to do it all over again.” Irene scolded him.

Roman thought back to the previous night and scowled before he spun around and went into the kitchen. Reaching for a cup he poured out a coffee for himself and took a long drink of it letting the warmth of the brew and the caffeine wake him. Turning he walked back over to where Irene was sitting and sat next to her.

“Tell me.” He urged hating the sudden tremor in his voice.

“You don’t want to know.”

“Don’t make me beg Irene.” He added softly.

“Ok, she couldn’t move her arm. It was paralysed. There was no way she could look after the twins let alone any of the other kids. She was a real mess.” Irene told him ignoring his indrawn breath. “But she came home form the hospital and arranged your funeral making sure everyone of us was ok. Miles was hit worst and she nursed him along.” Irene stopped and took a drink of her coffee before looking Roman in the eye. “She pushed herself to get better and when she wasn’t in physio or the gym or swimming she was needed here. She never took time out to grieve herself. Then just as she started to get things sorted in her head and begin to move on with her life look who turned up alive."

Roman shook his head and stood up turning to take his empty cup back into the kitchen.

“You wanted to know Roman. Has the last year been worth it?” she asked him a scathing note in her voice.

“She’s not dead. The kids haven’t been hurt so yeah, Irene the last year has been worth it.” Roman answered. “Nobody asks about me in all this.”

Irene fixed him with a stare and waited.

He returned her look and pealed off his top.

“This bullet collapsed my lung.” He began pointing to a scare on his chest. “This one took out my spleen and finally this one made it impossible for me to lift my own arm for nearly 8 months. Did I have much of a choice about being in witness protection? Not really because I woke up from a coma to find out that you’d been told I was dead. But finding out why, well that made it important.” He stopped heaving in a deep breath. “Because if Alexi gets his hands on Ella it won’t be like Gardy or Elliot it will be a 100 times worse. He’ll kill her kids in front of her just to see her suffer. He’ll take Sophie and possibly Meggy and he’ll make her watch while they are turned over to be amusement for his men.”

Irene stood up in shock and dropped the cup she was holding to the veranda not noticing the shards of china that shattered around her feet.

“He took his lawyer and made the man watch while his entire family were beheaded. And this was the man who defended him and did his best to get him off.” Roman continued before staggering over to the chair. He felt the percussion start in his head and nausea rush through him. He recognised the signs of a migraine before the lights seemed to dance in front of his eyes. Gritting his teeth he sank off the chair and tried to think where he’d left his tablets.

“Roman, oh my god.” Irene gasped.

“Migraine.” He muttered grabbing his t shirt and putting it across his eyes to block out the light.

“What can I do?” she asked panicking.

“Get Mike.” he mumbled paralysed by the pain.

She looked at him before running down the garden and skirted the pool heading into the poolhouse without knocking.

“Mike!” she cried out.

“Hey.” He called. “What is it?” he asked looking over at her.

“It’s Roman he’s….” she panted unable to speak past the panic she felt.

“It’s ok.” Mike said calmly and moved past her sprinting up the garden. He saw the other man curled up on the veranda and he cried out in panic himself before kneeling beside him. He breathed out in relief at not seeing any signs of him being shot.

“Migraine?” he asked in a soft voice.

Roman grunted.

“Pills?” he asked again in the same tone of voice.

“Left ” Roman grunted.

“I’m going to call Aden.” Mike told him before helping the other man to his feet. He began to move them inside the house having to stop in the kitchen as Roman was sick. He got a bottle of water out of the fridge and made the other man take a long drink before they moved again staggering to the bottom of the stairs.

“Nearly there Dad.” Mike whispered.

“Hurts.” Roman grunted.

“It’s just a headache get over yourself old man.” Mike said quietly.

Roman grunted at him again before they managed to get him up the stairs and over to the bed. He let Roman fall on to it before kneeling down and removing Roman’s shoes and getting him in the bed. Turning he closed the curtains and then grabbed the spare cover off the bed and put that up at the window too, tucking it carefully over the curtain rod at the top. He stood back satisfied that the light was blocked out before getting washcloth from the en suite and rinsing it out under the cool tap he brought that over to the bed and carefully wiped Roman’s face before folding it and placing it across his forehead.

“No Aden.” Roman ground out.

“Sorry old man.” Mike said. “Need to get something for you can’t have you like this.”

Mike looked at him before easing out of the bedroom and closing the door quietly. He paced down the stairs and out the way he came heading over to the pool house. He saw Irene sitting on the sofa with Danni.

“He’s ok it’s just a migraine attack.” Mike told her.

“I shouldn’t have stuck my oar in.” Irene gasped out sniffing and lifting a tissue to her eyes.

“I’ve been trying to tell her its ok.” Danni said lifting her worried gaze to Mike’s.

She was sitting next to Irene on the long sofa.

“Irene please. He’s going to be ok I know it looks bad but you should have seen what he was able to do last time he had one of these attacks.” Mike gave her a grin as he moved through to the bedroom and collected his phone. He grinned as he saw Jennie moving in the crib before walking back through to the lounge.

“I told him she was better off without him.” Irene confessed. “And that’s when he…”

“He told you about Alexi?” Mike finished.

Irene nodded.

“I think you need a cup of sweet tea.” Danni announced standing up and moving to the kitchen.

“Jennie is awake.” Mike told her softly before he took his phone outside. He dialled Aden number and waited a few heartbeats before the call connected and he heard the other man’s voice.

“Mike.” Aden murmured.

“Hey bro, it’s er… “ Mike paused before continuing the call. “about Mum’s er… man.”

Aden sat up straighter and looked around to see if anyone was paying attention before he spoke.

“What about Frank?” Aden asked.

“He’s got a killer headache. Migraine attack and he left his pills behind.” Mike told him feeling like he was talking in code.

“I’ll be right over.” Aden promised.

“See you soon.” Mike answered.

He disconnected the call before heading back into the house and looked back at Irene.

“Come on Granny.” He called out softly.

“Less of that thank you.” Irene muttered glaring at him.

Mike smiled and leaned over kissing her on her cheek.

“Whatever you said to him he knows that it was because you love Ella.” Mike told her softly.

“But he looked like I’d…” Irene began stopping when Jennie began crying.

“I have a bottle for her.” Danni told him.

Mike nodded giving her a look before he went and fetched his daughter. Even though she had been home with them for a number of days he was still nervous picking her up. She was so small and delicate, looking even more so in his hands. He cradled her close grabbing her blanket too before heading back out collecting the bottle from Danni before he sat down and began feeding her.

Ella rubbed at a spot on her forehead trying to ease the headache she had as she pushed the buggy towards the car. The rest of the kids walked with her, some of them sulking.

“It is Christmas in a few days.” Meggy said again.

“It’s Christmas in two weeks and only good kids get presents.” Ella told them. “Do I have to mention that you nearly got us banned from the shop Megan Hope Harris.”

Meggy flushed and looked down seeing Lily grinning at her innocently.

“Don’t you start on me Missy.” She said to her sister. “It was your fault the display got knocked over.”

Ella smiled as she opened the car and ushered them inside. She handed over August and then Fleur to Sophie and smiled as her daughter made sure the babies were strapped in.

“Thank you Sophie.” Ella said to her.

Georgie gave the car a check before closing the passenger door and climbing in the front seat. He watched via the rear view mirror as Ella stacked the bags in the back and then the folded up buggy before she moved around the car and got in the other side behind the wheel.

“Everyone in?” she asked.

“Yup.” Georgie told her. “Wait where is Sammy?”

“Very funny Mister.” Ella murmured meeting Sammy’s grin in the mirror.

She started the car and eased out of the parking bay ignoring the fact she was double checking that all the kids were in the car.

“So what are we doing for Christmas?” Meggy asked slowly.

“I honestly don’t know.” Ella murmured. “We should sit and have a proper talk. Your dad has to go back and sort out things in his shack. He might stay there a little while.”

“Is he leaving us?” Sammy asked panicking.

“Sammy what did I say?” Ella said with a sigh.

“That he has to go sort things and he might stay.”

“A little while.” Sophie added giving him a push.

“Kids.” Ella muttered looking at them before focusing back on the road.

“I want Daddy to stay….” Sammy began.

“Samson.” Ella interrupted. “We know. Don’t start that kind of conversation when the little ones can hear you please. We’ve been a year without him so a few days or a week or two isn’t going to be a big deal.”

Sammy flushed looking round. He saw Lily watching him and he frowned.

“I’m sorry.” He said slowly.

“That’s ok. Now then I suggest that you go in and get changed before going into the pool.” Ella told them looking at them as she pulled the car to a smooth halt in front of the house. She turned off the engine and looked around the car. “I’m going to talk to your Dad and then we’ll sit down with you.”

Sammy nodded before they started climbing out of the car. Ella led the twins in and up the stairs.

“’ool?” August asked smiling sweetly.

“Nap first.” Ella said softly. “Come on into bed with you.”

She lifted August into her cot before lifting Fleur smiling at the pair of them.

“Sleeps baby girls.” Ella called softly easing off their shoes and settling then down in their cots. Stepping slowly out of the room she paused outside the bedroom before opening the door and going inside.

“Ella.” Roman called out immediately.

“It’s me.” She said in a quiet voice going over to the bed. “What is it?”

“Migraine.” He told her.

She kicked off her shoes and padded barefoot over to the bed taking hold of his hand.

“Taken anything?” she asked in a whisper.

“Aden.” He bit out through gritted teeth.

Ella nodded before taking the cloth form his head and going over to the sink. She rinsed it out and took it back over to him wiping his face.

“Its going to be ok.” she whispered kissing his forehead. “We’re fine. All of us. We are ok.”

“No.” Roman groaned.

“Promise you.” She whispered lowering the cloth so that it covered his eyes. She reached out and took hold of his hand.

“Stay with me?” he asked.

“Always.” She whispered leaning forward and kissing his lips. She frowned at how hot and dry his lips seemed compared to normal. “Can you roll over?” she asked him.

He half nodded moving in the bed so that he lay on his front. Ella reached out and picked up her bottle of moisturiser and poured out a generous amount into her hands before reaching out and giving him a massage. She began with his neck trying to ease the kinks in his muscles before moving down to his shoulders and his back. She felt her shoulder stiffen as she forced it to perform the repetitive movement of the massage.

“Better.” He said after a while.

“Want more?” she asked.

“I thought he had a headache.” Aden said softly from the doorway. He closed the door behind him and moved over to the bed.

“He’s been taking Sumatriptan.” Ella said quietly.

Aden nodded and moved over to the bed checking Roman out.

Ella used the distraction to ease out of the room and head down the stairs. She saw that Mike had got the kids sorted and she went out the back to stand with him.

“He and Irene had a discussion and apparently he just collapsed.” Mike said softly. “Didn’t know what to do.”

“Is Irene ok?” she asked her eyes on the kids running around the pool before jumping in the water.

“Aden is going to give her something to calm her.”

Ella nodded.

“You ok son?” she asked after a moment.

“God Ma.” Mike gasped out. “I saw him lying there and it was like that day all over again.”

“It’s ok. You couldn’t have done anything different then.”

“I was standing in front of you both.” He muttered feeling himself start to shake.

“And you took the babies from us.” Ella pointed out. “Could be if you weren’t there it would have been them. Mike you need to put this in the past and I know that is hard to do but you have a family now. You are one of the best things to every happen to me and I know that if things were different you would have stepped in front of the bullets to save us.”

Mike nodded tears springing into his eyes.

“Go sit with that beautiful woman of yours and hold your baby.” Ella told him watching as he moved away and over to the pool house.

Aden coughed drawing her attention to him.

“Hey.” Ella said turning around and looking over at him.

“I’ve given Roman something to make him sleep.” He announced. “How long…”

“Since he got out of hospital I would assume.” Ella shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“He’s on pretty powerful stuff.” Aden said slowly. “And how are you?”

Ella shrugged.

“I’m ok.” she said softly.

Aden nodded.

“Right I’ll go see Irene.”

“Just before you do. What are you doing for Christmas this year? I think the kids are pushing for a normal Christmas.” She murmured.

“I’ll speak to Belle.” He said slowly. “It’s a bit strange.” He admitted.

“I know. It feels a bit weird to us too.” She said. “I’m going to go up and see him. Thanks for coming over.”

Aden nodded and moved to the pool house leaving Ella to take a moment before she went back inside to her vulnerable husband.

Chapter 56

“Ella.” Roman called out in his sleep. “God no Ella.” He cried tossing amongst the covers.

Ella moved quickly over to the bed and touched his face trying to still him.

“Roman I’m here. Nothing has happened to me.” She murmured keeping her voice quiet. She could see the pain of the migraine attack still evident in the lines that creased his face even as he slept and she tried to smooth them away with gentle caresses.

“Come on my husband you need your rest.” She told him leaning down and kissing his closed eyes before kissing his cheeks and then finally his lips.

Easing to the side of him she lay down and pulled him into her arms. He lay his head on her breast as he moved in the bed and she grinned that even asleep he managed to get to her breasts she thought as she pulled up the covers making sure he was safe.

She dozed off after a while, waking when she heard the door open and Lily creep in.

“Shush.” She murmured to her daughter raising her finger to her lips. “Dada poorly.”

Lily nodded and made a show of tiptoeing around the bed to her side of it before she climbed up in the bed. She reached out and tugged Ella’s arm away from Roman and manoeuvred in the bed until she was lying down and pulled her Mama’s arm around her.

Ella bit her lips to stop herself laughing at her daughter.

“Lily girl want cuddle?” Ella whispered.

Lily nodded as she tugged on the covers pulling them over herself making Ella smiled before she reached down and helped her.

“Ta Mama.” Lily whispered. “Kiss Dada better?” she asked.

Ella nodded and smiled as Lily carefully leaned over and kissed her dad on his cheek before she moved back snuggling into her Mum’s arm and lay down closing her eyes.

Ella held the two of them for a long time before she began easing out of the bed. Roman had rolled over on to his back and she was able to put Lily next to him and stand up. She collected her shoes and walked out of the room heading down the stairs. She saw Aden sitting with Mike the two of them having a beer and she went over to them.

“Still here?” she asked Aden.

“Yup.” He confirmed with a smirk as he held up his bottle of beer.

Ella sank down next to Mike.

“He’s ok.” she said softly. “In fact since you are here why don’t we have the others over.”

Mike laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Ella asked him.

“Aden was just telling me that Nic is busting to come over and has in fact texted several times since she found out Aden was here.”

Ella nodded and pulled out her phone. She dialled Nic number and laughed as it was answered on the first ring.

“How is he?” Nic asked immediately.

“He’s ok.” Ella told her. “Want to come over make a night of it?”

“We’ll be there in 30 minutes. Want anything bringing?” Nic asked.

Ella grinned.

“Not sure I need to look in my kitchen. I’ll send you a text if I need anything.” Ella said softly before disconnecting the call.

“I’ll text Belle.” Aden murmured.

Ella smiled and moved into the kitchen. She opened the fridge and looked inside grabbing some things out of it and preparing a salad.

“What you doing?” Sophie asked coming out of the lounge.

“Cooking.” Ella replied. “I presume you are hungry?”

“Yeah but…”

“Did you say food?” Sammy asked.

Ella smiled and nodded.

“You hungry?” she asked him.

“He’s always hungry.” Sophie said. “Want a hand?”

Ella looked at her and shook her head.

“Not tonight babes.” Ella said moving to her side and kissing the top of her head. “We’re having the others come over.”

Sophie squealed.

“Angel?” she asked quickly.

Ella nodded.

“Can we…”

“No.” Sammy said cutting off his sister.

“You can use my make up and do your nails.” Ella told her. “But if your Dad is still sleeping I need you to keep the noise down please.”

She watched as Sophie ran off before turning to Sammy.

“You can help me.” She told him.

“Hey no fair, Sophie is the one who cooks.”

“And takes care of the little ones all the time.” Ella pointed out softly. “Let’s cut her a little slack tonight huh?”

Sammy nodded and moved to the sink washing his hands.

“Ok what do you want me to do?” he asked.

Ella smiled and leaned down kissing the top of his head.

“Let’s start by clearing the table and then putting out crisps and dips.” She said watching as he moved over to the table and began work.

“Want me to do a beer run?” Mike asked appearing at the back door.

Ella nodded.

“Speak to Aden and Nic and see if anybody wants a lift over.” She murmured to him.

Mike nodded and went out the back again.

“Can I help?” Meggy asked. “”Liam has gone up to find Lily.”

Ella stopped chopping and placed the knife down on the board.

“Ok can you help Sammy? There are olives and nuts to go into bowls.” Ella told her before she wiped her hands on a cloth. She watched Meggy move over to her brothers’ side before she left them to it and walked up the stairs. She saw that their bedroom door was open and grinned at the way she referred to it as theirs again. Stepping inside she saw Lily and Liam in the big bed alone.

“I’m here.” Roman called softly walking out of the en suite.

Ella grinned and looked at him. He was still pale and there were lines around his mouth but he looked a lot better than earlier.

“You…” she began to ask if he were ok but he walked over to her side and picked her up holding her tight against him.

“Hey.” She murmured wrapping her arms around him.

“You were there for me.” He said softly. “You held me.”

“Er…yeah.” Ella said still puzzled before she realised. “Oh.” She gasped finally putting all the pieces together. Mike telling her about the headache he had when he’d seen him at the shack. “You have the headaches because…”

“Don’t talk.” He said cutting her off. “I don’t want to …”

“We can’t keep going round in circles Roman we need to sort this stuff out.” she said before kissing him. “But not tonight. Everybody is coming over and they want to see you. If you are up to it?”

He nodded.

“I think I can handle some company.” He admitted.

“Great do you want to put me down now so I can finish the food.” She pointed out her face flaming.

Roman chuckled and slowly lowered her to her feet. He looked into her eyes.

“Is Irene ok?” he asked.

“A bit shocked. You going to tell me what you told her?”

Roman shook his head.

“So which one woke you?” she asked changing the subject.

“Liam. He climbed over me to get to Lily.”

“What can I say he takes after you.” Ella murmured.

Roman frowned as he tried to work out the insult before he reached out and kissed her.

“Ok?” Ella asked again and saw him nod.

She gave him another searching look before turning and heading into the nursery checking on the twins. As suspected they were awake so she lifted them out of the cots and sent them into the bedroom to find Lily. She heard Roman’s chuckle as he watched them before he walked over to her side.

“Need a hand cooking?” he asked.

“No thank you. Go see Aden and have a drink.”

“I don’t need babying El.” He said softly.

“Good. Off you go. There is one of your t shirts in the laundry.” She said heading down the stairs. Roman stood there for a minute before he gave the babies a last look and then followed Ella down the stairs. Walking through to the utility room to collect his clean t shirt he pulled it on and went into the kitchen.

“Here Daddy.” Meggy said handing him a bottle of water.

“Don’t I get a beer?” he grumbled.

“No and don’t ask again we are under orders.” Sammy said walking back into the kitchen.

“Fine.” Roman murmured.

He gave his kids a grin and walked out the back to where Aden was sitting. Danni and Gabby were next to him.

“Mike has gone to fetch beer and people.” Danni told him patting the seat next to her.

Roman nodded and moved over to sit next to her grinning as she placed Jennie in his arms.

“Thanks.” Roman murmured looking down at her.

“Tell Danni that her daughter looks like Ella.” Gabby instructed him.

“She does a bit. These freckles must be genetic.” He said quietly looking down at his granddaughter.

Danni beamed happily as she took a drink of her beer.

“And did you know Danni that he still counts Ella’s freckles when he kisses her?” Gabby said slyly.

Roman felt his face suffuse with colour as he saw Aden grinning at him.

“Thank you Gabby.” He muttered.

“How you feeling old man? Any after effects?” Aden asked after a minute.

“I’m ok. Normally an attack lasts for a few days.” Roman commented and then frowned as he realised the reason this migraine hadn’t lasted as long as the others. He caught Aden looking at him and he gave the other man a small half smile.

“Where is Irene?” he asked after a moment.

“She’s fine.” Danni said softly. “She’s in her place having a lay down.”

Roman frowned.

“She is ok.” Aden said. “I gave her a little something to calm her down so she is probably still resting.”

Roman groaned thinking of the way he’d lost his temper with her.

“She will be fine.” Gabby told him. “You aren’t to worry.”

Aden stood and stretched.

“Anybody want another one?” he asked indicating with his beer bottle.

“Another one.” Roman muttered. “I didn’t get the first one.”

“Sorry you don’t get any.” Aden told him grinning at the other mans’ expression.

“No more for me.” Danni said glancing at Jennie.

Gabby grinned.

“I’ll have one.” She announced. “I’m no longer breast feeding.”

“Hey!” Danni said with a groan.

“Won’t kill her to have a bottle.” Gabby said.

“I am not giving my baby beer.”

“I meant…” Gabby flushed before she and Danni burst out laughing.

Roman smiled before he moved the baby and picked up his bottle of water.

“Ok.” Ella said coming out the back. “Danni Gabby can I raid your fridge’s?”

“Won’t do you much good we don’t do shopping.” Danni told her.

“What still? What are you going to do when you don’t live here anymore?” Ella asked putting her hands on her hips.

“Visit a lot.” Danni said with a smile.

Ella frowned before looking at Gabby.

“Get what you want.” She murmured. “I just stocked it up.”

“Thanks.” Ella said beginning to walk down to the stables.

Roman watched her go wanting to run after her and give her a hand. He hated feeling like a burden and looked up to see Aden watching him.

“Where is Daniella?” he asked.

“She’s been with Sophie for the past hour.” Gabby said. “So she’d probably had her hair styled and is wearing make up.”

Danni chuckled.

“Sophie is turning into a diva.”

“Er girls.” Aden said quietly.

“Can’t believe she is dating already.” Gabby continued. “And her boyfriend is so fit.”

“Are you trying to give me another headache?” Roman growled out.

Aden chuckled before he moved inside and collected another beer. He grabbed a bottle for Gabby and undid both of them before heading back outside. He handed over the bottle just as Ella walked back up the garden with a bag full of things.

“Geez Ma I was kidding!” Gabby cried out.

“I left you a few things.” Ella murmured.

“Are you sure?” Gabby grumbled.

Ella smiled at her daughter before heading into the kitchen. She deposited the bag down before checking on the potatoes she’d put in the oven to bake. She turned them so they would cook evenly and began unloading the bag. Taking the peppers she took two of them and chopped them up mixing the colours before putting them in two large cooking pans. She added onion she’d chopped earlier and a splash of oil letting them simmer on the top.

“Chilli?” Roman asked from the doorway.

Ella nodded going over to him and pressing a quick kiss to his lips.

“Snacks on the table if you want anything.” She told him.

He shook his head.

“Not hungry yet.” He said.

“Sure?” she asked him.

“Don’t treat me…” he began.

Ella held up her hand.

“You have been unwell I am treating you just like I would any other time you’ve been ill. Do you want to talk to me?”

Roman shook his head.

“You sure?” she asked him.

He shook his head again and then frowned when she turned away from him and started cooking again.

“El.” He said after a time.

“Yeah?”

“It was awful.” He began.

“What was?” she asked forcing herself not to turn around and look at him. She bit her lip so that she wouldn’t blurt out more questions.

“They told me when I woke up that you’d been informed of my death and that I needed to go into witness protection.” He began.

Ella switched off the pans and turned around to face him.

“Go on.” She encouraged.

“I could barely move let alone get back to you and then they told me why. He’d get to you and he’d do things, worse things than Gardy. He’d….” Roman’s voice broke and he felt the wetness of tears on his face. “ and then Sophie and Meggy.” He whispered.

Ella wanted to step towards him and do anything to stop him hurting but she had finally got him talking and she was afraid that he’d bottle it up again.

“You’d been through so much because of me already that I couldn’t let that happen. That’s how I justified leaving you.” He stuttered.

Ella nodded folding her arms around herself. She could see how this would look to someone else. Roman was pouring his heart out to her and she was standing still, like an unfeeling statue. She looked into his eyes and reached out taking hold of his hand and led him into the study closing the door behind them.

“When he escaped he tracked down his lawyer beheading his entire family in front of him before he killed him. This was the man who helped him Ella. The man who tried to get him off and I gave evidence against him. I knew what he’d do to us would be so much worse.” Roman cried out. He felt the start of another headache and forced himself to put it to the back of his mind. “What would be the point of it if I couldn’t protect you again?”

“Protect me?” Ella asked.

“From that.” Roman said rolling his eyes.

“That?” Ella said slowly.

“From Rape.” Roman shouted. “From some man putting their hands on you again and hurting you.”

Ella stepped forward just as Roman collapsed back on the sofa. He lifted a hand to his face feeling his head throbbing. She moved carefully sitting in his lap and pulling his arms around her.

“It doesn’t matter.” She said quietly. “You’ll just heal me again.”

“El!” he gasped.

“Told you there is nothing that you can’t fix. Nowhere I can be taken where you can’t find me. Even when we’ve been told the other is dead we’ve found each other. We’ve called out for each other.”

She leaned down and kissed him softly stroking the worried frown off his face.

“We’ll get together with the boys next week and work out what our next moves are.” She whispered. “But I’m right here ok.”

He shook his head frowning as the pain increased.

“No don’t do this Roman.” Ella said injecting a note of anger in her voice despite her head breaking at seeing him in pain.

“Must protect you.” He groaned screwing his face up in pain.

Ella climbed off his lap and looked at him.

“So protect me.” She muttered. “Leave now.”

He cried out as the pain stabbed behind his eyes and reached out a hand to her.

She took his hand and moved back to him.

“See you don’t want to go and you don’t want me to go. So that only leaves one choice. We face this together.” She said quietly before kissing him.

She pressed herself against him pushing them both full length on the sofa sighed against his lips as she felt his hands running up and down her body.

“Stay with me tonight and hold me.” She whispered to him. “Hold me close.”

Roman groaned before he opened his eyes and looked at her. He felt the pain receding and frowned.

“Ok?” she asked after some minutes had passed.

Roman looked at her and nodded.

“Come on then I need to go cook.”

She eased off the sofa and stood straightening her clothes.

“Ella how long have you known?”

“That you had headaches? Or that there was a connection between them and me?” she asked back.

“Either.” He muttered.

“Noticed the tablets in your bathroom cabinet. They looked pretty lethal. The connection I only worked out when I was talking to Mike after he came home from your little “chat.” Just hours after I ended it between us you had a migraine.” She lifted her fingers miming speech marks as she said the word chat.

“Always so smart.” He said quietly.

“Thank you.”

“Wasn’t a compliment.” He muttered.

“I know that too.” She grinned at him.

“Is it any wonder you give me headaches.” He said rolling his eyes.

Ella smiled and held open her arms grinning as she hugged him close to her.

“I love you Roman.” She told him for the first time without being coaxed or in the middle of their lovemaking. He sighed and clung tightly to her.

Chapter 57

Ella sighed as she stirred the pan. One chilli looked amazing and the other looked sort of grey and unappealing. She gave it another stir before adding a good squirt of tomato puree and then another tin of tomatoes. She left it to simmer while she moved around the kitchen doing the salad and preparing a dish of peas and sweetcorn to accompany the chilli along with rice and the baked potatoes. It was all coming together but she still felt nervous.

“Hello.” Nic called out coming through the front door with Angel, Mira and Robbie. The three kids ran round her and out the back making a beeline for their granddad.

Ella shared a grin with Nic.

“Been bugging you?” she asked Nic.

“Oh just a little. “ Nic sighed. “Geoff will be along later he’s gone with Mike to do a beer run.”

Ella nodded and went to the fridge taking out a bottle of white wine and searching in the drawer for the corkscrew. She found it after a minute and began undoing the wine.

Mira came running back in through the back her face screwed up as she cried.

“What is it baby girl?” Ella called softly.

“Not grandpa.”

“Tis.” Ella said softly. “Don’t let his silly beard ickle you.”

“Ickle?” Mira asked looking up at her.

“When he kisses it ickles.” Ella knelt down and whispered to her granddaughter. Well, step-granddaughter, she amended silently in her head.

Mira tilted her head to one side and put her hands on her hips as she thought about it before she turned around and ran back outside. They heard laughter coming from the back before Mira ran back in.

“It no ickle it scratchy.” She announced.

Nic and Ella looked at each other again trying not to burst out laughing.

“Lily and Liam and the babies are upstairs playing.” Ella said after a moment.

Mira nodded and rubbed at her face before she walked carefully to the foot of the stairs. She gave a last look to her mother before she went up them. They heard her call out to Lily before giggling.

Nic walked over to Ella and leaned close.

“Does it ickle you?” she asked softly.

“Nic.” Ella gasped.

“I’ve never kissed a man with a beard.” Nic mused accepting the glass that Ella held out. She grinned as Ella poured the wine. “Or will been er kissed by a man with a beard. What is it like?”

Ella blushed scarlet as she worked out what Nic meant. Her hand shook as she poured the wine and tried not to let the other woman know she was flustered.

“Ella.” Nic said after a minute.

“What?” Ella asked.

“If you don’t stop pouring after a minute it’s going to go all over the floor. Is it that good?”

Ella looked down and saw that she’d filled Nic glass almost all the way to the brim.

“Drink that and consider that your punishment young lady.”

“That good is it. Maybe I’ll ask Geoff to grow a beard.”

Ella groaned and lifted the bottle to her lips taking a long drink.

“What the…” Roman murmured from the doorway. “Not wine. You are not drinking wine its like truth serum.” He muttered coming over to her and removing the bottle from her hand.

“Hey.” Ella cried out.

“Do I have to remind you what you said the last time you got drunk on wine?” Roman murmured.

“Nic wasn’t even there when I told everyone how big it was.” Ella muttered before covering her mouth with her hand. “What is in that stuff?” she added.

“God I don’t know but here take another sip.” Nic said giggling offering Ella her glass.

Roman glowered at his daughter frowning when she continued to grin at him.

“Out.” he told her.

She muttered something and disappeared out the back.

“What are you looking so happy about?” They heard Aden ask.

“He glowered at me. I so missed him glowering. Do you think I can get him to do the arm thing?” Nic said.

Ella turned to Roman her cheeks still red.

“So…” she murmured.

“If I can’t have a beer then you certainly can’t drink.” Roman told her.

“Uh huh.” She muttered. “Telling me what to do?”

He nodded.

“Think you have the right to tell me what to do?” she said glaring at him.

Roman nodded again.

Ella walked past him and opened up the fridge taking out a bottle of beer and heading out the back. She sat down next to Danni and Gabby and opened the beer taking a long drink.

“Ella aren’t you cooking?” Danni asked.

“Not anymore. Now I’m getting drunk.” She announced and glared at Aden and Nic laughed at her.

“So he got his own way and is in the kitchen.” Gabby murmured grinning.

Ella nodded.

“Not quite his own way.” She said. “The food is cooked. Just waiting for the others to get back before I serve it.”

Roman moved over to the doorway and looked at her curled up with one foot tucked underneath her and drinking beer. She looked so beautiful and happy. He couldn’t stop the grin on his face and ignored the look that Aden gave him.

“That was a sneak trick.” He told her.

Ella smiled.

“So was trying to get me mad. And Nic it’s er unusual.”

Nic looked at her in shock before spitting out the mouthful of wine and choking. She glared as Aden slapped her on the back.

“What is she talking about?” Danni asked.

Gabby gently nudged Danni and rolled her eyes.

“What do you think she is talking about?” she asked her.

Danni blushed.

“Really? But…” Danni stuttered.

“Not that.” Ella blurted as they all looked at her.

Aden stood and walked over to Roman.

“I think you can have a beer now it’s been long enough.”

“Thank god.” Roman muttered heading into the house.

“So come on tell us what you really meant?” Nic asked leaning forward. “I’m presuming you’ve…” she paused. “You know.”

“Oh they have.” Gabby said quickly. “One day I had to go home and pick up some stuff for Daniella and I heard noises coming from the bedroom.”

Ella looked at her and muttered something under her breath before she down the bottle.

“I knew you heard that.” She groaned. “You gave me a weird look.”

“Oh god oh god oh god that feels good.” Gabby mimicked.

“I so didn’t say that.” Ella blushed.

“No you didn’t. He did.”

Ella gasped.

“Gabby!” Nic gasped out laughing.

“I think you’ve teased me enough.” Ella announced.

“Not until you’ve answered the question. Does his beard tickle?” Nic said softly.

“There is another question I want answered. Why did your nightdress end up in the poolhouse before we moved back in?” Danni said trying not to smirk.

Ella shook her head.

“Could it have something to do with midnight swims?” Gabby asked. “Because you know Daniella often doesn’t sleep through the night.”

Ella shook her head refusing to answer as the three girls laughed at her.

“Ella is Sophie and Meggy upstairs?” Angel ran over from the play area and asked.

“She is.” Ella muttered thankful for the disruption.

“Cool.” Angel cried out and ran inside.

“Yes.” Ella said to the three women. “And yes it felt strange now change the subject ladies.”

Danni looked at Gabby and then Nic as all three laughed.

“So it like…” Danni leaned forward her voice lowering. “tickled?”

“I’m not comfortable with this conversation.” Ella told them. “It was strange that is all. Different like it was someone else.”

She stood up and walked into the kitchen seeing Aden and Roman talking quietly. She caught Roman glancing over at her and she gave him a smile before getting out another beer. He raised an eyebrow as he looked at her and she mouthed, ‘I’m ok’ to him knowing he would read her lips. She saw him half nod his head indication he’d understood her before she went back outside.

“We’re sorry.” Nic called out. “We should be more considerate.”

“It’s nothing to do with …” Ella paused taking a breath unaware that she put her free hand on the place Gardy had cut her. “him.” she finished. “I wasn’t brought up to talk about stuff like that.” She told them. “Especially to my daughters.”

Nic beamed.

“I’m your daughter.” she announced to Danni and Gabby happily.

Ella laughed at her.

“I know.” She said mournfully shaking her head. “I said yes to his marriage proposal before I really knew what you were like.”

“You can go off people you know.” Nic said glaring at her.

Danni and Gabby laughed.

“What are you telling them now?” Roman asked coming out just before Aden.

“Nothing.” Nic said quickly.

“Mummy.” Sammy called out. He was standing with Robbie near the play area.

“Yes Sammy?” Ella asked back.

“Can we have the tent out?”

Ella groaned.

“Really Samson?” she asked him watching as he nodded and looked at Robbie before nodding again. “Ask your father.” Ella told him sitting back down and lifting her feet up.

“At least in witness protection I wasn’t used as a slave.” Roman muttered standing and going around the house to the garage.

“Er Mummy.” Sammy muttered coming over to the edge of the veranda. “When are you going to tell Daddy that we keep the tents in the shed now?”

Ella smiled.

“In about five minutes.” She told him. “now go run over there and be quiet.”

Aden burst out laughing.

“Did you forget how sneaky she is Daddy?” Nic asked when he came back around.

“Ella sweetheart do you keep the tents in a new place now?” he asked in a calm tone of voice.

“She keeps them in the shed.” Mike called out coming through the house with Brett behind him followed by Belle and Tyler.

“Thank you son.” Roman said softly. He looked over at Tyler seeing his foster grandson move closer to his mother.

“It’s ok.” Belle told him. “He has a beard now so that the bad guys can’t recognise him.”

Tyler nodded still looking subdued.

“Hey you should have seen the beard he had when I first saw him. It was down to his waist.” Ella called out softly. “Think yourself lucky we got him to cut it.”

Tyler looked at her and slowly grinned.

“Why don’t you go find Sammy over there.” Ella pointed to her son. “He has asked to sleep in the tent tonight.”

“Cool.” Tyler grinned nodding.

“If your granddad can find the tents.” Ella continued.

“I’ll show you.” Tyler offered running over to where Roman was standing.

“Thank you.” Roman said quietly. “Where are we going?” he asked kneeling down to Tyler’s level and looking into his eyes.

Tyler pointed to the shed before he reached out and shyly touched Roman’s beard.

“It is you Granddad.” He cried out.

Roman nodded.

“I’ll let you into a secret sometimes in the morning I look in the mirror and I have to check that the beard isn’t taking over my face.”

Tyler giggled.

“That would be a good story to put in our book.” He said and covered his mouth looking around sheepishly.

Roman leaned forward.

“That’s ok Sammy made me say the oath.” He told him referring to the oath the three boys had for their combined story book that they drew between them.

Tyler nodded and began walking toward the shed with Roman.

“They still drawing that book?” Geoff asked coming out last. He walked over to where Nic was seating and kissed his wife on her cheek before sitting down next to her.

Nic nodded in answer to his question before turning to Belle.

“So where is Amy-Belle then?”

“Like you don’t know. She’s gone up to see Toby.” Belle said with a sly look at Ella.

“Nothing to do with me!” Ella protested.

“Like you aren’t planning another wedding.” Belle said looking at Aden and seeing him grin.

“God no I’ve had enough of them. I never expected to get married once let alone…” Ella stopped and started counting on her fingers. “four times.”

“Well at least it’s to the same man.” Danni pointed out.

“Yeah when are you going to marry me?” Mike asked.

“I think Jennie needs me.” Danni said easing up and looking at her daughter who was still asleep in her arms.

“About that are you sure you want Georgie as your best man?” Brett asked. “He can’t even drink.”

“Well by the time they get married he’ll be legal.” Ella said.

“woah.” Danni cried out. “That isn’t fair.”

Ella looked over at Danni and gave her an innocent smile.

“Fine mother dearest since you threw out the challenge. “ Danni muttered. She looked over at Mike seeing the look of love in his eyes. “Christmas.”

He nodded.

“Perfect.” He said remembering how they were going to marry the previous Christmas but they had lost Roman and then he’d gone overseas.

Danni nodded before walking carefully down to the poolhouse with her daughter.

“Mike.” Ella began.

“It’s ok she needed the push.” He told his mother. “If she changes her mind well I’ll have to go find someone else to marry.”

“I heard that.” Danni shouted out turning and looking at him.

He grinned at her before running down the garden to her side.

“Think she’ll go through with it?” Brett asked sitting next to Gabby.

“Who knows.” Gabby grinned at him.

Brett chuckled missing the look that passed between Belle and Ella.

“Mama.” Lily called out from the bottom of the stairs. “Babies dinner.”

Nic smiled.

“Lily is so precious isn’t she.”

Ella nodded.

“Not half.” She said with feeling. She felt everyone looking at her and she grinned. “Come on I’ve been drinking wine.”

“Wine not truth serum.” Roman called out as he walked out of the shed with the tent. He moved down the garden and began setting it up.

Ella glared at his back.

“Well you had to name her after your mother.” She said before disappearing inside.

“Did she just say what I think she said?” Roman muttered as he wrestled with the tent pole.

“Maybe you should be teaching her a lesson.” Aden suggested ignoring Belle giving him a look.

“What Lily? Think it’s too late for that Meggy has been babysitting.” Gabby said grinning.

“Not Lily.” Aden clarified. “His wife.”

Roman looked up.

“I’ve already tried spanking her. That didn’t work.” He announced just as Ella walked back out.

Ella blushed bright red as she saw everyone looking at her.

“Roman Harris.” She cried out.

He looked up and grinned innocently at her as if to say he was even with her for her earlier comment about his mother and well whatever sex secret she'd spilled already tonight.

Chapter 58

“Anybody want anything else to eat?” Roman called out.

“We’re stuffed.” Sammy called back from the tent.

Ella smiled before she patted the seat next to her watching as Roman slowly walked to her side and sat down.

“Thank you for that.” He told her smiling as she raised her eyebrows and looked back at him. “I always enjoy your chillies.”

“Seems like there is plenty left over.” Mike murmured. “Perhaps you should freeze some.”

Ella laughed.

“I’ll cook you a fresh batch tomorrow you can have.” She told her son.

“It’s been a good night.” Aden said softly. “We’ve missed this haven’t we babe?” he turned and spoke to Belle, watching as she nodded.

“So Toby and Amy-Belle?” Roman asked.

“It’s been going on a while, hasn’t it. “ Ella said softly to Belle.

“He really helped her out with Kai. He’s walking now.” Belle said for Roman’s benefit. “I think if it wasn’t for her college course she’d move up and live there.”

Aden reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet handing it over to Roman open so the other could look at the photos.

“He’s a pretty cute kid.” Roman commented smiling as he handed it back.

“We’re planning to marry him and Daniella off when they are older.” Gabby announced. “And that was Nic’s idea.”

“Don’t bring me into it.” Nic protested slurring her words.

Geoff laughed at his wife.

“I think it’s your bedtime.” He told her.

She shook her head.

“It’s too early yet. My Daddy is here and I want to hang with him.” Nic told her husband.

Mike laughed at her.

“No seriously.” Nic announced, although it sounded more like ‘No seriousibllly.’

“Alright Nic.” Mike said quietly.

“No I have a point to make. Some of us were brought together by fate, but here we have a unique family.” She muttered. “Aden is the best brother and Belle doesn’t totally hate me for what I did. And Gabby came back. Then Danni showed up. We so thought you were Gabby.” Nic paused and looked at her adopted sister. “Dad wanted you to stay because he knew Ella was broken and he was trying to fix her.” She looked at her Dad then before looking back at Danni. “But Ella knew. She always knows. She knew that we had a thing with Mira and she helped and we wouldn’t even be married if it wasn’t for her.” Nic rambled drunkenly. “She knew you weren’t a child from her body but she had to keep you and love you because you belonged to us.”

Danni sniffed and looked at Mike.

“Now why didn’t I talk to her before we went to that hospice.” She muttered before sighing as Mike lifted her into his lap. He wrapped his arms around her and buried his head against the side of her neck.

Roman watched them before he turned to Ella to see what she was thinking. He saw her mouth had tightened as she pressed her lips together and he wanted to say something but didn’t know what.

“Because you needed to find out for yourself.” Mike told his Danni.

Danni looked at him and smiled feeling his love in the way he was holding her so protectively and she pressed a soft kiss to his lips.

“And then there was Lily.” Nic murmured.

“Nicole.” Ella said quickly leaning forward. “Enough.”

She stood up and looked round the group.

“I’m going to bed.” She announced walking into the house. Roman watched her go a worried look on his face.

“She’s ok.” Aden said. “She was pretty worried about you earlier.”

Roman nodded.

“I think..” he began.

“No.” Nic cried. “It’s me. I reminded her of Francesca and of the baby she lost when you were first married.”

Roman nodded realising what had been going through Ella’s mind as she heard Nic talking.

“No it isn’t that.” Roman cried out.

Mike looked at him.

“They don’t know Dad.” He cautioned.

Roman sighed.

“Ella just lost a baby.” He told them.

“Dad.” Nic cried out. “Will you get it cut off.”

Aden laughed.

“I think she means a vasectomy.” He said after a moment.

Roman nodded.

“Yeah that’s ok.” he said softly.

“It’s not ok Dad. She can’t have a baby.” Nic cried out. “How many tears do you want her to cry over lost babies.”

“None.” Roman shot out. “You’ve not lost a baby have you Nic?” he asked his daughter seeing her shake her head looking confused. “You’d do anything to stop your wife crying when it happens even give her another baby even though you know it’s a dumb idea. I love all of you that’s why I put myself through the last year but there is something inside me that breaks when I look at Ella sometimes because I wasn’t quick enough or brave enough or man enough to stop her losing those babies.”

Nic paled and gasped throwing her hand over her mouth.

“Neither one of us wanted to do anything permanent to prevent pregnancy because of all we’d lost.” He said quietly. “Now that is enough of a downer for everyone. I’m going to say goodnight and go see my wife.”

He stood and moved over to Nic before leaning down and kissing her cheek.

“Goodnight.” He told everyone before turning and heading inside.

“Well I think we should call it a night.” Mike murmured. “We need to be up to feed Jennie in a bit. And by we I mean Danni because I don’t have the necessary equipment.”

“I can do something about that.” Aden called out. “A quick operation and a few tablets.”

Brett and Gabby burst out laughing.

“Where are we sleeping?” Nic asked.

“Spare room with us.” Danni told her.

“We are in the study.” Geoff said. “Aden you are in Irene’s old room.”

They began to stand up and move away to their rooms calling out goodnights as they split up.

“Guess you can come with me” Gabby told Brett.

He laughed and followed her over to the stables.

“Where is…”

“Daniella is over with the twins.” Gabby said.

“She’s a cool kid for a thing.” Brett said.

Gabby laughed.

“Are you proposing that you don’t like kids Brett Jefferies because I have seen you with your nephew. Rumour has it you’ve even given up dating so you can spend time with him.”

Brett shook his head.

“Just giving my sister a break is all.” He defended.

Gabby smiled at him as they walked inside her house.

“I like how you say that but Amy-Belle says something quite different.” She grinned as he blushed.

“I don’t really care what Amy-Belle has said.” he murmured holding up his hand. ”The truth is she was too young to have a baby and we are just helping her out.”

Gabby tilted her head on one side and looked at him.

“That would make you slightly uncaring.” She decided.

Brett shook his head.

“I’m not going to win no matter what I say.”

“Only because you aren’t telling me the truth for some reason. Is it Danni you like? Is that why you’ve given up dating?” Gabby asked as she walked over to her sofa and sank down on to it. She lifted her head and looked at him sighing softly.

Brett laughed and shook his head.

“Can’t you accept I’m helping my sister out and leave it at that?” he muttered.

“Not really. And if that isn’t the whole reason then you need to tell Amy-Belle. She’s got this impression that you are some kind of superhero.”

He walked over and sat next to her.

“It’s not Danni and AB does know.”

“What?” Gabby gasped.

Brett turned to her and reached out. He placed his hand on the side of her face and looked into her eyes.

“I used to be really screwed up.” he announced. “My first crush was on Ella.”

Gabby rolled her eyes.

“And…” she began.

“Talking here.” He interrupted her. “I think she knew even though she never let on. So I did what any red blooded male would do I went out on dates with complete opposites.”

“Aside from..”

“Still talking.” He murmured cutting her off again. “I only ever dated Danni because Mike wasn’t going to admit his feelings without a little push.”

Gabby sighed.

“I was never in love with her and even if I was I’m not stupid enough to deal with her SAS fiancé.” He murmured his thumb stroking her cheek as he continued to hold her head.

“And now?” Gabby asked slowly.

“I’m kind of attracted to someone else now. I’ve got no idea if she feels the same.”

Gabby licked her suddenly dry lips wondering if he were going to kiss her. It would be wrong on so many levels. Leaning forward slightly she closed her eyes and sighed. Her eyes sprang open as she heard him chuckle at her before his lips pressed softly on hers. She felt like her heart flipped over in her chest and she moaned before putting her arms around him and holding him to her. She should have remembered her husband and child but all she could think about was Brett and how this was crazy.

“Let’s get comfortable.” She whispered standing and leading him into her bedroom.

Roman paused outside the bedroom door before reaching out and opening it. He saw Ella curled up in the middle of the bed and he knew she was crying. Kicking off his shoes he went over to her and pulled her into his arms feeling a sob shake her frame as she moved. Holding her close he stroked her hair back from her face before wrapping his arms around her and letting her cry.

After a while she lifted her head and looked at him.

“You hate this.” She muttered.

“You crying.” He murmured nodding.

“It’s…” she began.

“Still talking here.” Roman told her kissing the end of her red nose. He reached out and handed her a couple of tissues from the box on her bedside cabinet and watched as she wiped her eyes and blew her nose. “It’s because I have to reconcile the you that never cried with the you that not only cries but lets me see it. I don’t like seeing you hurt and vulnerable Ella. And crying. It scares me because normally it’s me making you cry and usually means we are in a bad place.”

“Well that isn’t the case here.”

“I know. It’s the talk about the babies and the reminder of Francesca.” He said quietly.

Ella looked at him and nodded.

“I think about her too. I wonder whether she would have had my hair. She was…”

“Blonde.” Ella whispered remembering the minutes they had held their lost daughter. “Sophie would have hated her. Her hair has got darker over the years.”

Roman gave a small half smile.

“That must …” he began.

“Shush!” Ella whispered. “We do not talk about Sophie’s hair dressing appointments.”

Roman grinned despite still feeling sad.

“She is growing up isn’t she?” he murmured.

“And we are supposed to let her.” Ella pointed out looking into his eyes.

“Uh huh.” He murmured. “You know it’s going to be impossible for me to let her date. She looks like you so I know that every boy who comes along is going……”

Ella reached up and kissed him.

“She won’t be going out with every boy. She’s very choosy. And Steve is very nice. We’ve had him over quite a bit and he’s one of Georgie’s friends.” She told him softly. “I’ll ignore the bit about every boy and the comparison thank you very much.”

“I can’t help it.” he grumbled. “You are hot and sexy and have this innocent air about you sometimes. If men don’t want to protect you they want to…”

“Finish that sentence and you’ll be back sleeping in the stables.” Ella cautioned.

“Can I help it if I automatically think…”

“Roman!” Ella exclaimed blushing. “Enough. You are acting like a sex maniac.”

“Didn’t notice you complaining earlier.” He murmured leaning up and kissing the side of her neck.

“Right. Out.” she muttered pulling away from him. “Get back in the stables.”

Roman lay back and grinned at her.

“Nope. I’m home now.” He said smugly. “Kids are accepting me and…”

Ella reached out and slapped him.

“You are not home.” She screeched at him. “Now get out of my bed and my house and take it somewhere else. In fact go find some woman who wants you because I’m sick of this.”

She pushed back away from him and stormed into the en suite.

Roman rubbed his face ruefully before he stood and peeled off his clothes. He slipped into bed naked and thumped the pillows a few times puzzled by the way she reacted. Looking up he saw her in the doorway of the en suite and he held out his hand to her smiling as she ran over to the bed.

“Better?” he asked softly.

She nodded.

“I still have stuff to sort out I’m not imagining that just because it’s been good for a while everything is ok. I hurt this family and regardless of whether they forgive me it’s still going to take a lot of time to get their trust back.” he told her quietly as he manoeuvred them down under the covers. “Same thing with my wife. She’s smart enough to know that I wouldn’t have taken a step like that without good reason but she’s also really angry that I did it behind her back and on top of that she’s hurting.”

Ella sighed.

“Hate you.” She muttered sleepily.

“Ella.” He murmured.

“What?” she asked in that drowsy voice.

“You’ve been drinking wine.” He murmured softly.

“See sex mad.” She murmured turning in his arms and looking at him.

“Love mad.” He corrected. “I love it when you kiss me and touch me.”

Ella giggled.

“Like this?” she asked moving in the bed.

He felt her hand s touching him and he gasped before he felt her lips press against him.

“Ok I was teasing you a little bit.” He muttered. “But you seem to have me at a disadvantage.”

She giggled and he felt her warm breath flutter across sensitive areas making him moan.

“So what would you like?” she asked softly. “my hands?” she demonstrated. “Or my mouth?” again she demonstrated.

“Oh god.” Roman gasped out. “Don’t make me choose.”

Ella laughed once more before took him into her mouth kissing him all over. She felt his hips moved restlessly on the bed and sighed before easing back and straddling him.

He sighed with disappointment before give a slight moan as she moved over him.

“So easy.” She told him.

She moved her hips, rubbing against him as she looked deep into his eyes.

“I’m not.” He protested.

“So I can stop and we’ll go to sleep.” She whispered leaning down so her lips were near his ear. She moved just slightly before taking his earlobe between her teeth and biting it gently.

“Ouh!” Roman moaned before gasped when he felt her tongue snake out to lick just behind the same ear. “God Ella.” He muttered lifting his hands to her waist. He pushed up the night dress and found her breasts rubbing them softly before sliding his hands to her waist. She moved against him before lifting herself up and then lowering herself on to him. He moaned low in his throat his hands grabbing her waist.

She reached down and caught his hands moving them away form her.

“No touching without permission.” She instructed.

Roman growled low in his throat in protest before crying out as she moved lifting herself off him.

“El.” He cried out.

She giggled again and moved until she was facing away from him. She straddled him again and took him inside her.

“There much better she murmured.

Roman sat up in the bed and wrapped his arms around her pulling her against him.

“I’m going to scream.” He muttered kissing her neck as he pressed her back against his chest. He skimmed his hands upwards cupping her full breasts.

“Uh huh.” Ella giggled again before giving out a slow moan as he played with her heavy breasts.

“I want to make you explode.” He gasped out against the side of her neck.

“We have people staying in the house and the kids are just next door.” Ella pointed out.

“Shouldn’t have got me this hot for you.” He muttered biting his lip as he thrust into her. He felt her rubbing against him and he sighed before she began to move more.

“God Ella I’m going…” he cried out.

He leaned forward and muffled his cries against her neck before she turned her head and kissed him muffling both their cries as they reached the pinnacle together.

Roman sighed as he pulled his wife down to lie with him Smiling at the way they fit together. He dragged the cover back over them and wrapped his arms tight around her.

“Page 36.” He mumbled as he fell asleep. “I should have remembered it was a favourite of yours.”

Ella giggled sleepily.

“And you like it too.” She pointed out as she drifted asleep.

Roman looked up into the dark before his eyes drifted shut and he sighed into sleep.

I'm not divulging any more details...... :ph34r: Certainly not going to say who it is who dies........:lol:

Chapter 59

Roman woke up and slipped out of bed heading over to the en suite. He had no choice but to out on his two day worn shorts after his shower because his clothes were still over in the stables. He walked barefoot down the stairs and began to clean up while the kettle boiled to make himself a coffee. He took it out back and sipped slowly as he looked in the garden, seeing the tent he grinned knowing that Sammy would want his fried breakfast. Putting his half drunk coffee to one side he walked slowly over the grass he passed the tent quietly and went through the gate that took him to the stables. He opened the door and walked inside. Hearing voices coming from the bathroom he chuckled silently before going into the bedroom he’d used previously and grabbing some clean clothes. He dressed quickly and debated taking his things over to the main house. Sighing because of his indecision he left them on the bed and made his way out of the stables. He heard giggling coming from Gabby’s bedroom and found his cheeks turning red before getting out of there.

“Daddy!” Sammy called out coming out of the tent.

Robbie and Tyler were right behind him chuckling to themselves.

“Want breakfast Samson?” He asked his son.

“Of course.” Robbie answered for him.

Roman grinned and headed into the kitchen.

He opened the fridge and took out bacon eggs and tomatoes. Losing himself in the familiar routine of cooking he began the breakfast.

Sammy moved around him and over to the fridge taking out the orange juice. He poured out beakers for Robbie and Tyler and then himself. Stepping through to the lounge he switched on the tv and set up a game.

Georgie padded down the stairs barefoot dressed in only his pyjama bottoms and over to the kettle.

“Are you old enough for coffee?” Roman asked suddenly realising he didn’t know what his kids liked anymore.

“I was old enough for beer the other day.” Georgie pointed out. “Which would you prefer me to drink?”

Roman smiled remembering a similar conversation with his own father long ago.

“Better make your mother one.” He said quietly.

“I always do.” Georgie turned and grinned at him. “It’s safer that way.”

Roman laughed out loud.

“I’ve got some cadet stuff to do tonight.” Georgie began.

“Want a hand with it?” Roman offered quickly.

Georgie nodded.

“Cool.” Roman smiled at him. “I’d like that. If that’s not too girlie for you.”

Georgie gave him a look before he busied himself making the coffee.

“Any tea going?” Irene asked coming in through the back.

“Sure thing.” Georgie told her. “You ok?”

“Right as rain Darl.” Irene said.

She walked over to Roman and kissed his cheek quickly before going to the table and sitting down.

Roman grinned feeling his guilt about tackling the other woman leaving him.

“Breakfast Irene?” he asked.

“Any toast?” she asked.

He nodded and presented a plate of buttered toast placing it on the table.

Georgie handed Irene her drink before helping his dad put out plates and cutlery. He placed a plate in front of Irene, smirking as Sammy paused the game and came over to the table.

“Jam?” Georgie asked. “Peanut butter?”

Sammy nodded.

“I think he wants both.” Robbie murmured sitting next to him.

Georgie smirked again before placing the two items on the table. He added marmalade and a lemon and lime jam that Sophie and his mum had made.

“Thanks mate.” Roman said quietly.

Georgie flashed a look at him before grinning. He reached for his coffee taking a drink before heading for the table. Roman looked on as Georgie placed his cup on the table and spun his chair around before straddling the seat and leaning his arms on the back. He picked up his cup and took a drink.

“Morning.” Geoff called out leading Nic behind him.

“Coffee?” Roman called.

“I think that is a double yes.” Geoff said.

“Morning Darl.” Irene called out.

“Hey Irene.” Geoff said sitting at the table. He gave Nic a look and saw her move over to where Roman was standing.

“Hey Nic.” Roman said softly. “Bet you need a coffee this morning.”

“I think I …” she began her face flaming.

“Nic it’s ok.” he told her. “Might want to have a word with Ella later though.”

She nodded before throwing her arms around him.

Roman chuckled and returned the hug placing a kiss on the top of her head. He let her go and returned to cooking plating up bacon before putting the scrambled eggs in a bowl. He took out the tomatoes from under the grill and placed them on a plate putting all of them on the table.

“Great.” Sammy purred as he reached for the bacon. “What?” he muttered as they looked at him.

“Nothing Samson.” Roman said quietly.

He added a bowl of beans to the table and serving spoons before heading back into the kitchen. He poured out a cup of coffee and moved up the stairs taking it into the bedroom. He grinned at Ella. She’d pulled across his pillow and was hugging it.

“Morning.” He said softly placing the cup to one side and sitting on the bed. He leaned over and pressed a kiss to her cheek first and then captured her lips as she came awake.

“Is it morning already?” she muttered sitting up in the bed.

He smiled as he watched her pull the sheet up covering her naked breasts.

“Stop.” She grumbled following his gaze.

“Just that after last night alone you can still be shy. Two positions…”

“Stop!” Ella cried quickly moving in the bed so she could place her hand over his mouth. She felt his mouth curve into a smile and glared at him before looking down and seeing that she had let the sheet fall.

“Love you.” He murmured his lips moving again against her flat hand.

She drew back and smiled before grinning as he leaned over and kissed her.

“Coffee.” He said breathing heavily as he pulled back.

“So you don’t want to kiss anymore?” she asked glancing down at her breasts before looking back at him.

He removed his hand and smiled.

“No.” he said quickly. “Drink your coffee. Are we going to hang today?”

Ella nodded.

“I think you should give Jacko a call and see if the boys can come up.” she said after a moment.

He sighed and she watched as his shoulders sank down before he looked at her.

“I know you want to stay here enjoying spending time with us but we need to get sorted so you can come back properly.”

“You are just saying that because you hate the beard.” He muttered.

Ella nodded.

“When you have breasts and I rub my beard all over them we can call it equal.” She said kneeling in the bed and leaning forward to kiss the end of his nose.

Roman laughed and reached for the cup handing it over to her.

“Thank you.” She said taking a drink.

“Sophie isn’t up yet.” He murmured.

“Not surprised they crept in here at three am taking some more of my make up.” Ella said with a laugh.

“I didn’t….”

“Hear them?” she finished for him.

He nodded frowning.

Ella giggled and leaned over kissing him again.

“What if that had ….” He began rubbing a hand over his beard as he frowned.

“A bad guy after my make up?” Ella murmured. “novel.”

Roman groaned and looked at her.

“Ella be serious.” He said and saw her lift her eyebrow.

“If you want me to be serious then you better get the boys here and we find out what we are dealing with. Let’s …”

“Ella stop ok. All I can think of right now is that you are going to somehow take him on and get yourself killed.” He snapped out standing up and pacing over to the window.

“Yeah maybe.” Ella replied biting her lip. “What do you want Roman? We need to deal with it. The longer you live in this kind of limbo and put us in the same limbo the worse it is going to be. Miles needs to know his best friend is alive. Leah has been carrying responsibility of the diner for a year. For gods sake Roman, we don’t even know what we are going to do this Christmas. We’re stuck because we can only make plans when you sort out whatever is going through your head.”

She placed the empty cup to one side before standing up and walking naked into the en suite. He heard the shower come on and he sighed. Looking at the rumpled sheets on the bed he frowned thinking about things she’d said to him.

“El.” He called out.

She put her head round the door the toothbrush in her mouth and rim of foamy bubbles on her lips.

“If I’m alive he’ll come after me.” He said quietly. “Can we put the kids in a secure location?”

She plucked out the toothbrush and looked at him.

“Are you thinking of setting a trap?” she asked quietly.

He nodded.

“They can go to boarding school. I’ll pull some strings and get them in Mike’s old school for a while. Aden’s and Nic’s too?”

He nodded.

“Ok.” she said softly.

“And the little ones?” he asked.

“Irene and my Dad may want to take them on holiday.” She murmured. “Where Toby is.”

He nodded once more knowing that they connection to Toby wasn’t widely known.

“Thank you.”

“After Christmas.” Ella said. “I want them to have …”

“Ella.” He whispered. “And you. You have to go too.”

She shook her head before going over to the sink and rinsing her mouth.

“and good luck with getting Nic and Belle to somewhere safe too.” She said to him in her ‘pissed’ tone. “Just because we are girls.”

“He …”

Ella held up her hand to him before stepping into the shower.

“This discussion is not over.” He shouted and stormed out of the bedroom running down the stairs and into the kitchen. He looked around and began taking things out of the pantry and the cupboards assembling ingredients.

“Ok.” Sammy said backing slowly out of the kitchen.

“What’s up?” Robbie asked.

“I think we should go upstairs for a bit.” Sammy told him before wincing as a pan clattered in the kitchen.

“It’s only Daddy in a bad mood.” Georgie murmured. “Just ignore him.” he added with a grin.

“Yeah right.” Sammy said giving Georgie a look.

“Morning.” Ella called out walking into the lounge. She saw Irene sitting at the table with Nic and Geoff.

“Aden and Belle still asleep?” she murmured.

“It’s a bit early yet Darl.” Irene said slowly.

She gave Ella a look and then glanced in the kitchen.

Ella grinned in response and stepped over to the table.

“Oi!” she called out. “More toast out here please.”

Nic lifted her head and starred at her as she sat at the table as if to say are you mad.

Roman came out of the kitchen after a moment and slammed down a plate in front of her before turning around and going back in.

Ella chuckled and picked up a slice biting into it.

“Pass the coffee.” She called. “And a cup.”

They heard muttered swearing before Roman came out and slammed both of them in front of her. He gave her a look and turned heading back into the kitchen.

“And I’d like a fried egg sandwich too.” Ella called.

“Mother!” Sammy gasped out.

She grinned over at him.

“Are you guys going to play in the pool today?” she asked him.

Sammy looked at his brother before Robbie and Tyler. He nodded and they nodded back.

“Ok then you can have the water guns out.”

“Cool” Robbie cried out.

“Little babies will be out later so it might be best if you go and run around now before they get up. Georgie want to help them?” Ella said.

Georgie looked at her and stood up.

“Come on guys lets go get changed and get the guns out.” he said leading the kids out of the room.

Roman turned and walked out of the kitchen placing the sandwich in front of her.

“Thank you.” Ella said. “Did you sprinkle it with salt?”

“Oh for god….” He muttered heading back into the kitchen. He came back out and slammed the salt shaker on the table in front of her.

“Are you cooking lunch?” she asked him. “It’s a bit early. I thought it would probably be a bbq.”

“Ella stop it.” he snapped.

”Stop what?” she asked giving him and innocent look.

“You know what.” He bit out. “You are not getting involved.”

“Aside from the whole I am already involved bit.” She pointed out in a quite voice. “As are we all.”

“All what?” Aden asked from the doorway.

He led Belle into the room and they sat at the table.

“Roman wants to declare himself alive so that Alexi will come after him.” Ella said softly. “He’s under the impression that we won’t be there with him.”

“Of course we’re involved.” Geoff said quietly.

“Yes Darl.” Irene added.

“You’re my dad.” Aden murmured looking at Belle as she gave him a nod of encouragement.

”So you can’t be just mad at me it has to be all of us.” Ella added biting into the sandwich. “Perfect.” She declared.

“As good as Mikes?” Nic asked.

Want one?” Roman said quietly.

Nic nodded.

“What do you want babe?” Aden asked Belle.

“Coffee.” She gasped.

Aden smiled as he sat down next to his wife.

Roman looked at them all before sighing.

“Witch.” He muttered near Ella’s ear.

She grinned at him before licking egg yoke from her lip.

Archived