Donald Fisher Character Info, ie birthdate, backstory.

Guest Homeandawayfan.

Hello

I am new here and started watching Home and Away in 1993 shortly before Bobby was killed. I did miss several years but now have got back into the show and my fave 2 characters are Donald Fisher and Alf Stewart.

What I am trying to conjure up is a backstory for Mr Fisher. Did he come from Summer Bay or not?

I remember he had his 50th birthday in 1995 (Aussie screen dates Feb 1995) making him born in February 1945, so a few months older than Alf born in July 1945. Norman Coburn is 8 years older than the character in that case as he was born in March 1937.

Would anyone know if there has ever been any other indication to Donald's age at all? I cannot remember any so the 1995 age would confirm his birthdate but does anyone else know if there was any other mention of Flatheads age?

All I know on his backstory is in a 1988 episode (episode 50) he said he had been teaching 25 years, perhaps almost 25 years so if he was born in 1945 he'd have been 43 in 1988 so must have began teaching when he was 18.

Ben

In some way it's possible he could have started teaching right after he finished school. He was most likely a student teacher, who was learning the caper of being a teacher and was also doing a dip ed on top of that.

No, the only time we've been aware of Don's age was back in 1995. It hasn't been mentioned at any other time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I like to explore character birthdays and Fisher was born in early 1945. He'll be 70 in February 2015. Fisher is 8 years younger than the actor who played him. Lots of actors do play younger characters.

His actress mum Isobel DuPre appeared in 1997 and was quite young looking but must have been about 70. Don was the eldest then Mary and Clive or Clive and Mary. I wonder if DuPre was her stage name or her maiden name?

I wonder what Fisher is up to now, if he has met another woman or is travelling etc now he is retired?

I'm not sure where I got this from but I had it in my mind Donald was originally from the City and met Barbara at Uni and moved to Summerbay. He was always a bit intimidated by Alf's father and Barbara's obsession with you musical career eventually ended the marriage.

This is probably all in The Bobby Simpson Story book. If you get a chance read it as there is a great deal of backstory for all the characters.

I don't think originally Alf and Donald where that close as Alf doesn't like blow in and Donald was a bit of a snob about the bay.

This would make sense as I dont think his sister Mary was a local either. Not too sure about his brother that hasn;t been mentioned since 1988.

I find Donald one of the best characters ever in a soap. Was saddened about what they did to him in 2007.

Fisher may have began work as a student teacher at university then. He probably went to uni aged 17 and started teaching aged 18 due to his intelligence. So Fisher was a city boy originally. But are those books part of the series canon though?

I'm not sure but they were written by Anthony Ellis who wrote a lot of the episodes from 1988/1989.

It definitely couldn't of been from the bay. No-one knew his mother when she visited and they would hardly of forgotten her.

I seem to remember, during that storyline where he thought he'd accidentally killed Matt's brother in 1990, he mentioned that he had a hard time fitting in in Summer Bay at first and his father-in-law(ie Alf, Barbara et al's father)bought him the gun so he could go hunting with the rest of the men and be more accepted.So no, definitely not from Summer Bay originally, although he and Barbara seem to have married very young(especially her).

Flathead could also handle himself in a fight alongside his razor blade tongue.

He was born February 13th 1945 in Sydney, began teaching in 1963ish and moved to Summer Bay in 1970ish. Is now retired to Whitsundays and living away from the dangerous Summer Bay. :lol:

I remember when him and Marilyn went through a hard time and he said once to Sam "We're a million miles apart". Was that over Oscar dying before being born or Marilyn's post natal depression or Byron's cancer? It was about the same time we saw a close up of Flathead at the end of one episode and the background was slightly blurred and what looked like Marilyn appeared at the door but when the camera focused to show the person in clear we saw it was only Sam.

Sam did look a bit like Marilyn. :wink:

Archived