Forever Yours

Guest Danni02

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 151

Charlie stared at Bianca and then to Emma, before once again looking at Bianca. “I’ll head home now, let you two talk.” Charlie said as she went to pick up her bag.

“No, can you stay too?” Emma questioned. “I wanted to talk to you as well and if you’re here it saves me coming out to your place later.”

“Okay,” Charlie put her bag back down and they all sat around the dining table. “What….what do you want?”

“Firstly, I didn’t realise it was you,” Emma exhaled lightly. “When I came to see your house I mean….I knew it was some woman called Charlie who dad had become obsessed with but I didn’t realise you were her. Not till the court case.” Emma shook her head lightly. “So I didn’t buy the house for any reason other than we love it. Dad didn’t put me up to it or anything,” Emma bit her lip. “I know this might sound a bit late now, I mean it was almost 2 months ago now, but I’ve been busy sorting out the new house, then I’ve had to sell dad’s place and sort out all his assets and stuff and then I’ve been working part-time work and taking care of my daughter….”

“We understand,” Bianca stopped her. “Sometimes life can just get on top of you.”

“Yeah….anyways I eh…for you Charlie, I wanted to apologise on behalf of my dad. He can sometimes get a bit obsessive. He’ll get an idea in his head and won’t stop until he gets what he wants. In this case I guess that was a life with you. He’s not a bad guy really; he just makes some stupid decisions once an idea gets into his head.”

“You don’t need to apologise,” Charlie shook her head. “It wasn’t anything to do with you.”

“I feel response.” Emma said. “Maybe if I didn’t tell dad Dave, Evie and I were moving out he wouldn’t need to go find someone else he could control.”

“Wanting some freedom hardly puts the blame on you.” Charlie smiled weakly to which Emma returned an equally weak smile. “I don’t blame you for what your father did.”

“Well I just wanted to apologise as I do feel responsible.” Emma said.

“Well I’ll accept it.” Charlie smiled lightly.

Emma took a deep breath before she looked to Bianca. “And for you....I....I can’t find enough words to show you how sorry I am for what he did.”

“Well like Charlie said, it’s not your fault, so you don’t need to apologise to me.” Bianca said, trying to keep herself composed so memories of that night didn’t come back to her.

“It took me so long to believe he could be capable of that,” Emma said as she wiped the edge of the table nervously. “But when I saw you in that court room....that’s when I believed it. The look of terror in your eyes as you saw him I....” Emma trailed off and took a deep breath. “I’m disgusted in what my dad did to you and I....I want you to have this,” Emma said as he reached into her bag and lifted out an envelope. “I know that money can’t but forgiveness or changed the past but, it’s the least I can do.”

“Thirty grand?” Bianca questioned as she widened her eyes. “You want to give me thirty grand?”

“I think it’s only fair,” Emma said before she looked in the direction where the kids were playing and set her eyes on Bella. “I’ve seen you around town a couple of times. I just need to take one look at her to know who she is.”

“We don’t need your money.” Bianca shook her head as she handed the cheque back to Emma.

“It’s not my money, it’s my dad’s and I only think it’s fair that he pays some money for his child.”

“She’s not his child,” Bianca said. “I mean biologically yeah, but in no other way.”

“I understand that,” Emma nodded lightly. “But just because of what he did, it doesn’t excuse him of having to pay for his child. Please just take this for her. Put it away for when she turns 18 if you want. You don’t need to spend it, but please, take it.”

Bianca exhaled as she looked to Charlie, who just shrugged her shoulders. She took the cheque back in her hands and stared down at it, before laying it down on the table. “Thank you.” Bianca smiled politely at the young woman. Emma exhaled lightly as she once again shifted her eyes in the direction of the kids, and more precisely, Bella. “Her name is Isabella.” Bianca said sensing Emma wanted to know more about her little sister.

“That’s a lovely name,” Emma smiled. “I always wanted a little sister.”

“She’s a little terror right now so I’m not so sure you would.” Bianca laughed lightly.

“Terrible two’s I guess?” Emma said. “Guess I’ve got that to look forward to with Evie.”

“Yeah,” Bianca cleared her throat. “So, eh...is that everything you came here for?”

“Yeah, I guess so,” Emma said as she stood up from the table and walked back to the door, all the while keeping her eyes on Bella. “I eh....I think I know the answer to this but do you think maybe I could see Isabella from time to time?” Emma questioned. “She is my sister after all.”

“I eh....” Bianca trailed off as she once again looked to Charlie who once again just shrugged her shoulders at her. “I’m not sure, sorry.”

“Okay, well this is a small town so I’m sure we’ll bump into each other from time and time and if not you know where I live.” Emma said, somewhat sadly before she walked out of the house. Bianca closed the door and turned to face Charlie, feeling quite shocked at their surprise visitor and even more shocked at what she brought with her.

Ruby was lying down on the hospital bed, with Xavier sitting on the chair next to her, holding her hand, and rubbing it lightly. The ultra-sound technician squeezed the gel onto Ruby’s stomach, before beginning the scan. “So, mum, how have you been feeling?”

“Yeah good,” Ruby smiled. “Well I had a bit of a scare when I was in Hawaii. The doctor there told me it was just Braxton hicks so I shouldn’t be worried, but I wanted to ask you if it was normal to get Braxton hicks so soon?”

“I’d say so,” The technician smiled lightly as she glanced at Ruby. “You can get them as early as the first trimester, but you just tend not to notice them till later in the pregnancy.”

“So everything is still fine?” Xavier questioned.

“Yes,” The lady smiled. “And you seem to be doing everything perfectly in accordance to your diabetes, so well done there.”

“Thanks,” Ruby smiled lightly. “So eh.....you know what the baby is? You can see if you look and tell us?”

“I do know, yes,” The technician smiled. “Are you interested in knowing?”

“I am,” Ruby said before looking up to Xavier. “But I don’t think daddy wants to know.”

Xavier exhaled as he looked into Ruby’s eyes. “You really want to know, don’t you?” Xavier questioned and Ruby nodded lightly. “Well if mummy wants to know, I want to know.” Xavier smiled before looking up at the technician. “So what do we have?”

The technician smiled before she looked down to the screen just to double check, before looking back up at Ruby and Xavier. “It’s a little girl.”

“Hello, Charlie are you in?” Brax shouted as he stepped back into the house. “Charlie.” Brax shouted once more as he walked down the hall.

“She’s not home mate,” Heath said as he appeared from the living room. “Probably avoiding this place for a long as she can considering I’m here.” Heath laughed.

Brax exhaled lightly as he rubbed his forehead. “Nah she was going round to see Bianca and to get Milo and the fish. I guess she’s just catching up with her.”

“Milo?” Heath questioned.

“The pup.” Brax smiled.

“Jeez really have got it all eh,” Heath smirked. “The hot wife, the kiddies, the pup, the big country house. All that’s missing is the white picket fence.”

“So yeah, what’s your point?” Brax questioned. “I’ve got a great life.”

“Nah, I couldn’t think of anything worse,” Heath said. “Well maybe the hot woman for some fun, but kids and dogs and all that responsibility? No thanks.”

“So guess you’ve not seen Darcy since you got back then?” Brax questioned.

“Nah,” Heath shook his head. “Kinda difficult too since she moved to Brisbane with her Gran eh.”

“How could you let that happen?” Brax questioned.

“Cos she’s better off without me so I said she could go.” Heath sighed lightly trying to show Brax he wasn’t bothered by this, but his eyes told Brax something different.

“So what are you going to do with yourself now you’re out of jail?” Brax questioned.

“Hang with lads, do a bit surfing...could do some work for you in the restaurant if you want?”

“Nah, I don’t need any staff right now.” Brax shook his head. Offering him a place to stay was one thing, but letting him work in his restaurant was a totally different thing. “But eh, that two hundred bucks you took this morning? I’ll be wanting that back.”

“C’mon I’m your bro,” Heath said. “What’s your is mines right?”

“Eh no,” Brax shook his head. “What did you need it for anyways?”

“Never you mind,” Heath laughed as his mobile rang. He pulled his from his pocket. “Alright mate....yeah....yeah be there soon.” Heath hung up the phone before looking back at Brax. “Couldn't borrow me 50 bucks could you?”

“Where did that two hundred go from this morning?”

“Never you mind,” Heath smirked. “Now the fifty bucks?” Heath held his hand out. Brax shook his head as he exhaled lightly before lifting out his wallet and pulling out a $50.

“Cheers bro,” Heath grinned. “Oh and I’ll need to borrow your car.” Heath said as he grabbed the car keys from Brax’s hand before leaving the house.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone. :wub: Hope you like this one.

Chapter 152

Charlie walked back into the house with the kids and Milo running in after her. She placed the shopping bag down on the table, and it was then when Brax walked into the kitchen. “See you did some shopping.”

“Brax,” Charlie looked up slightly startled. “I didn’t think you were home. You’re car isn’t in the drive.”

“Nah, Heath borrowed it eh.” Brax replied and Charlie bit her lip as she took the milk from the bag and into put it into the fridge. “Didn’t buy much at the store.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I just got the necessities,” Charlie answered. “Bread, milk, some more coffee. The kids were driving me crazy so I just grabbed some stuff and left.”

“Oh, what were they doing?” Brax questioned as he walked further into the kitchen and took the bread and jar of coffee from the bag and went to put it away.

“Just wanting everything. Paige wanted these biscuits, Riley wanted that kind, Jacob another, Riley wanted a DVD, Paige wanted a teddy...I couldn’t be bothered with it so we just left.”

“Oh I see.” Brax said. “So you didn’t get anything in for dinner?”

“No,” Charlie replied. “I thought that you could have just brought some pizzas home from work, but your home already so I don’t know what we can do.” Charlie threw her hands out to the side.

“It’s fine. I’ll go back in later.” Brax said.

“Once you dumb-ass brother brings your car back you mean?” Charlie questioned as she poured herself a glass of water. “Of should I say if?” Charlie questioned as she turned back to face Brax.

Brax sniggered lightly as he shook his head. “Why do you have such a problem with him being here?” Brax questioned.

“He’s a river boy.” Charlie raised her voice.

“So?” Brax questioned. “Are you scared that he’s going to me lure back in? Babe, you can trust me. That part of my life is well and truly over.”

“I do trust you, Brax. It’s him I don’t trust.” Charlie sighed lightly. “I’m scared that he is going to find a way to manipulate you back into the boys and you can’t afford to slip up. You’re on a good behaviour bond and his being here could wind up with you back in jail if you do the tiniest thing wrong. It won’t take much for them to put you in jail.”

“It won’t come to that,” Brax shook his head. “If anything like that goes on he’ll be out of here in a shot.” Brax spoke softly as he stepped closer to his wife and put his hands on her arms, rubbing them lightly. “I promise you I’m not going slip up again. I’ve got too much lose, but please just let me try this with Heath. I need to get it through to him that this life he is leading is the wrong way and he needs to go straight.”

“I think you’ll have more luck convincing people Milo is a cat.” Charlie said dryly.

Brax laughed lightly. “Please, just trust me on this one, Charlie. I really believe he is going to change this time.”

“Well I think you’re a fool for believing that, but, okay,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “But if I’ve seen no change after a week, then he’s out of here.”

“Thank you.” Brax smiled lightly before placing a soft kiss on her forehead just as Milo and the kids ran into the kitchen. Milo jumped excitedly all over the place as he saw Brax. “Hey bud.” Brax smiled as he bent down and began clapping the pup.

“He went crazy when he saw us all.” Jacob said.

“I bet,” Brax smiled as he stood back to his feet. “How about we take him out for that walk to the lake now?”

“Yeah,” Paige cheered. “I get his ball.” Paige said before disappearing from the kitchen.

“Is we all going?” Riley questioned.

“Eh no,” Charlie shook her head. “Mummy is going to stay here. She’s got lots and lots of clothes she needs to start washing.”

“You let the machine do it.” Riley said as she pointed to the washing machine.

Charlie laughed lightly. “Yeah, but mummy has to sort them all out first and then put them into the machine.”

“Oh,” Riley screwed her face up. “Rubbish.”

“I know but someone has to do it.” Charlie sighed and Paige ran back into the room with the dog’s ball in her hand.

“I is ready.” Paige grinned up at Brax.

“Have fun kids.” Charlie smiled.

“You come mummy?” Paige questioned as she took her hand.

“No, mummy is going to be busy in the house. You lot go have fun though.” Charlie smiled as she pulled her hand from Paige’s grasp and ruffled her hair lightly.

“We will.” Jacob nodded.

“Good.” Charlie smiled lightly before Brax, Milo and the kids left the house. Charlie sighed before she walked up the stairs and into the twins’ bedroom and opened up their suit case, and began sorting out what clothes needed washed.

“Hello.” Ruby called through the house.

“I’m in the kitchen,” Charlie shouted, and Ruby and Xavier made their way down the hall and into the big spacious kitchen to find Charlie putting another load of clothes into the washing machine. “How was the scan?” Charlie questioned as she stood up to face her daughter and son-in-law.

“Great,” Xavier smiled as he handed her the scan picture. “Everything is healthy and perfect.”

“Good,” Charlie smiled as she looked down to her grandchild. “Kinda looks like he’s waving.” Charlie smiled as she looked to Ruby.

“Yeah,” Ruby laughed. “So after the scan we went out and bought some more clothes.” Ruby grinned as she lay the bag down on the worktop and pulled out the little pink and white checked dress.

“Oh wow you bought a dress.....or does that mean?” Charlie questioned as she gave Ruby and Xavier a grin. “You found out you were having a girl?”

“It’s a girl.” Ruby squealed before she jumped up and down excitedly.

“Ahhh,” Charlie pulled her daughter into a hug. “That’s great.”

“Yeah, we’re stoked,” Xavier grinned. “She’s going to be my little princess.”

“Aww,” Charlie gushed. “But please give her a proper cute name. I read the other day that some singer called Jessica something or other called her daughter Maxwell Drew.”

“Well at least it’s a name.” Ruby said.

“Yeah but it’s a boy’s name.” Charlie sighed.

“A lot of people could argue that Riley is a boy’s name.” Xavier argued.

“Shut up,” Charlie said. “Riley can be a girl’s name and it suits our Riley. You know, at least it sounds fine, but Maxwell for a girl?”

“True.” Xavier laughed lightly.

“I met her once actually. Jessica Simpson. She was pretty nice.”

“Well I’m sure she is a lovely lady, but just please don’t follow in her footsteps or even worse, don’t give the kid a crazy celeb name like....Stereo System or Flag or Banana.” Charlie screwed her face up.

“Banana?” Ruby questioned as Xavier broke into a laugh.

“Well there’s an Apple and a Peaches.” Charlie argued.

Ruby laughed lightly. “Well actually, we were talking on the way home and we were actually thinking of Yellow Rain.” Ruby said, trying to keep a straight face. “Right Xav?” Ruby questioned as she nudged his arm.

“Yeah,” Xavier nodded. “Little Yellow Rain Austin. Think it’s the best name we have come up with so far.”

“I beg of you, please do not name my granddaughter that,” Charlie said before Ruby and closely after her, Xavier burst into laughter. “Rubes.” Charlie hit her daughters arm lightly.

“Sorry, it was funny.” Ruby said, trying to compose herself so she wouldn’t laugh again. “But no, no crazy celebrity name. It will be a nice traditional name.” Ruby said as she ran her hand over her bump.

“Yeah,” Xavier agreed. “We’ve bought this book of girls name so we have our bed time reading sorted for a while.”

“Good,” Charlie smiled. “Aww I can’t believe it’s a little girl.” Charlie gushed as she lightly rubbed Ruby’s stomach.

“Yeah, so we can start to plan the nursery now,” Xavier smiled. “I’m guessing since you know it’s a girl, you’ll want pink?”

“Hmmm I think so,” Ruby smiled as she grabbed Xavier hand. “C’mon, let’s go and talk about it. Leave mum to the wonderful world of washing.” Ruby laughed as he led Xavier out of the kitchen.

Charlie, Brax and the kids were sitting around the dinner table, eating their pizza. Ruby and Xavier had gone into the bay to tell Gina and John the news about the baby and to show them the scan picture. “So I eh thought I could get the papers tomorrow.” Brax said as he pointed down to Jacob.

Charlie pursed her lips together as she put her glass of water back down on the table. “You think that’s a good idea right now?” Charlie questioned.

“Well I thought we agreed....why wouldn’t it be?” Brax asked as he scratched the side of his head, confused.

“Well I just don’t fancy your chances when Heath is around,” Charlie exhaled. “You need to get a visit from the lady at the agency right? And Heath is....well, Heath so....”

“He’s not going to ruin my chances, Charlie,” Brax sighed. “I thought you agreed to give him a chance.”

“Yeah, but until he gives me reason to be positive about him, I can’t be. It just doesn’t seem right.”

Brax bit his lip. He didn’t want to argue about this in front of the children. In fact he didn’t want to argue about this at all. He picked up his water and took a drink before pursing his lips together. “Well I’m going and there’s nothing you can say or do to stop me.”

“Right enough you adopting my son has got nothing to do with me.” Charlie spat.

“Charlie...”

“Honey, I’m home.” Heath grinned as he walked into the kitchen, putting the six pack of beer up to the worktop.

“Eh you’ll have to take that elsewhere because we don’t have any alcohol in this house.” Charlie said as she glared up at Heath.

“What?” Heath laughed. “God the little lady not even letting you have any booze in this joint? Man up bro.”

“It’s fine, you can keep it here.” Brax answered.

“Brax.” Charlie raised her voice.

“It’s fine.” Brax said through gritted teeth.

“Mummy who is that man?” Paige questioned as she stared up at her, her big blue eyes full of wonder.

“I’m the boogeyman,” Heath laughed. “I’m gonna get you in your sleep.” Paige screamed as she jumped down from the chair and ran from the room.

“You aren’t really, are you?” Jacob questioned.

“No, Jacob, he isn’t.” Charlie said as she stood up from her seat, glaring angrily at Heath.

“I am,” Heath nodded as he walked over to the table. “Boo.” Heath shouted in Riley’s face. Riley screamed before she too ran from the room.

“Seriously, you’re going to sit there and say nothing?” Charlie said as she looked down at Brax.

“He’s my brother.” Brax said as he looked to Jacob.

“Not to him,” Charlie sighed. “To your stupid brother.”

“Your brother is the boogeyman?” Jacob eyes widened. “I’ve had enough pizza mum.” Jacob said before he jumped off the chair and ran out of the kitchen.

“Thanks for that Heath,” Charlie shook her head. “They’re not going to sleep tonight anymore.” Charlie shook her head as she walked out of the kitchen and went in search of her children.

Red Ranger 1, Zoe, Sarah, Soph1303, Freakie42, pembie, Spodt1, miziette, beebee and RoRo90, thank you so much for commenting. :wub:

Chapter 153

Heath and Brax had moved into the living room, Heath carrying through a couple of bottles of the beer. He sat down on the couch as Brax sat next to him, Heath handed Brax one of the beers and he took it into his hand, and stared down at it for a moment, before looking back up to his brother. “Listen to me, Heath, because I’m only going to say this once. If I get one tiny glimpse that you are back to how you were before going to jail, then you’re out of here.”

“Chill out bro and drink your beer,” Heath said as he twisted the lid off and threw the cap down on the coffee table.

“Heath, do you hear what I’m saying?” Brax said.

“Yeah yeah.” Heath sighed. “Get off my back will you. I’ve only been out of jail for a few days. I don’t need to start getting lectures.”

“Well you’re hearing one, because I’ve already put Charlie in a mood with me because of this so I mean it Heath, best behaviour.”

“You really think I’d risk going back to that place?” Heath said. “Give me some credit bro, I want to get out of this as bad as you want to help me out.”

“Good,” Brax gave his brother a smile. “So what you planning on doing?”

“Well I need to find a job, but my own brother won’t even hire me eh.” Heath said before he glugged down some of his beer.

“Like I said I don’t need any staff at the moment.” Brax said.

“So you can’t even create a position for me?” Heath questioned.

Brax exhaled lightly as he rubbed his forehead. “You could always come and help the dishwasher.”

Heath laughed in Brax’s face. “You want me to fill a machine all night?”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “It’s not like a dishwasher we have in this house, you know, it’s a bit bigger than that. One guy stacks the dishes onto a crate and pushes it through and then there’s someone else at the other end stacking the clean dishes.”

Heath laughed once again. “Well I don’t fancy being a dishwasher. Can’t you make me assistant manager or something?”

This time it was Brax’s turn to laugh. “Steady mate, everyone needs to start somewhere. You can have the dishwasher job or you get nothing.”

“Well this week is no good for me so I’ll have to start the next,” Heath sighed. He didn’t really fancy clearing away dishes, but he needed money, so he told himself it would have to do for now. “Thanks for the job, I guess.” Heath said before he clunked his beer bottle together with Brax’s before he took a drink. “Hey little rock-star, how’s it going?” Heath laughed as Ruby and Xavier walked into the living room.

“Will be great once you leave.” Ruby said as she turned right back around and out of the room with Xavier following.

“What did you leave for?” Xavier questioned.

“I don’t want to sit in there if he’s there.” Ruby answered as they made their way up the stairs. Ruby went into the bathroom, where Charlie was bathing the girls, and Xavier kept walking, and went into their bedroom. “Hey.” Ruby smiled down at her mother, who was sitting on the toilet seat, watching as the girls played with their bath toys.

“Hey sweetie, how was Gina’s?”

“Good. They’re stoked it’s a girl and gave us Lisa and Zoe for name choices.”

“Nice.” Charlie smiled weakly.

“You alright?” Ruby questioned, sensing her tone.

“Just dragging out the girls’ bath time so I don’t need to see him.” Charlie sighed.

“He da boogeyman,” Riley widened her eyes as she looked up to her sister. “We no like him.”

“He’s what?” Ruby questioned.

“Oh he told the kids he was the boogeyman and was going to get them in their sleep.”

“What an idiot.” Ruby said. “He seriously thought that would be okay to tell 3-year-olds and a 6-year-old?”

“It’s Heath, what do you expect?”

“Well girls, there’s no such thing as the boogeyman.” Ruby said. “Heath is just being silly.”

“No,” Paige shook her head. “He is the boogeyman.”

“You won’t can convince them,” Charlie shook her head. “I’ve spend the whole of bath time trying to tell them otherwise, but their convinced.” Charlie sighed.

“Well not that I want to make things even worse, but Brax is sitting with a beer in his hand down the stairs.” Ruby spoke tentatively, unsure if she should even be telling Charlie this. “I’m not sure he’s drank any of it, but you know, it’s there in his hand.” Charlie muttered something under her breath before she stood up.

“I have to go check that out,” Chalie sighed. “Can you sit with them?”

“Sure.”

“Give them 5 more minutes then get them out.” Charlie said and Ruby nodded lightly before Charlie left the room to see if Brax was drinking again.

“Charlie, I swear I didn’t touch a drop,” Brax sighed. “Heath just gave me it.”

“Okay, I believe you.” Charlie exhaled lightly as she sat down on the end of bed as she rubbed her forehead before pushing back a tear that wanted to fall down her cheek.

“Hey, what’s this for?” Brax questioned as he sat down next to her and put his hand on her back and rubbed it gently.

“This isn’t what it’s supposed to be like,” Charlie shook her head. “We’re newlyweds; we’re supposed to be happy right now.”

“So you’re not happy?” Brax questioned.

“It’s not that I’m not happy, it’s just....all we’ve done since we got home is argue.”

“Well we only arrived home last night.” Brax said.

“Yeah and all we’ve done since then is argue,” Charlie sighed. “And it’s all been about the same thing or should I say person.”

“Charlie I need to help him,” Brax sighed. “He doesn’t have anywhere else to go.”

“So you’ll help him even though him being here is going to drive us apart?” Charlie questioned. “Brax I love how much you want to see the good in him, but I’m sorry, I just, I don’t think it’s going to happen. Heath is too far gone on the wrong side of the law.”

“Well hopefully you’re wrong,” Brax said. “I feel I owe this to him Charlie. I wasn’t there for him when he was in jail, so the least I can do is be there from him now. And I’ve given him a job in the restaurant so he’s not going to be around here bothering you all the time.”

“You think that’s wise?” Charlie questioned.

“Well if I keep him were I can see him then I know what he’s up too, right?” Brax questioned.

“Ah,” Charlie nodded her head. “So you don’t have that much faith in him then?”

“Well he’s not going to turn into an angel overnight is he?” Brax said.

“To right,” Charlie said. “But you’re no angel either so I wouldn’t expect Heath to be one.”

Brax pulled a face, offended. “Well I guess it would be boring if I was perfect.”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded her head. “Brax, promise me that you’ll be careful. You know I’m a worrier.”

“Oh I know,” Brax nodded. “And like I said, Heath will be out of here in a shot if he so much as mentions anything against the law.”

“Promise?” Charlie questioned as she looked up at him.

“I promise.” Brax said before placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

“Mummy, daddy,” Paige shouted as she ran into their room with Riley following after her. “We stay in here.”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head as she lifted Riley up to her knee, as Paige climbed up onto the bed and wrapped her arms around Charlie’s arm. “You’re big girls now. You don’t need to sleep in mummy and daddy’s bed.”

“But he’ll get us.” Riley gasped.

“Yeah mummy he’ll get us.” Paige sighed as she cuddled into her.

“He won’t get you,” Brax shook her head. “He’s not the boogeyman.”

“But why he say it?” Riley asked.

“Yeah he must be.” Paige added.

“Mum.” Charlie heard the scared little voice as Jacob walked into the room.

Charlie shook her head as she looked round to Brax. “I’ll go talk to him.” Brax sighed as he left the room.

“He made me too scared to sleep.” Jacob said as he climbed up onto the bed.

“Right, into the bed then.” Charlie sighed as lightly she hit Riley’s bottom as she crawled off her knee. She gave each of the kids a kiss on their forehead, before she joined them in the bed.

“Little miss Paigey, you move along, that’s mummy’s space.” Charlie said as she tickled her daughters side. Paige erupted into laughter before she moved along in the bed.

“So, how’s it going with the lovely Heath?” Bianca questioned as she put the coffee cup down on the table.

“Let’s just not talk about him.” Charlie said. “How’s things going with you?”

“Fine,” Bianca sighed. “Yeah, I get a bit lonely at night once the kids are in bed and I wish I had someone to love me and...yeah....” Bianca trailed off.

“Someone or Liam?” Charlie questioned.

“Liam.” Bianca admitted. “God I miss him so much.”

“Can always work things out when he returns.” Charlie said.

“He has over a year left to go.” Bianca sighed.

Charlie shook her head. “It wouldn’t surprise me if he is out in the next few months.” Charlie said. “He’s not a bad guy.”

“Really, you think he’ll get early release?”

“I’d bet good money on it,” Charlie nodded. “But hey, you never know, Heath might come a knocking now he’s out of jail. He always did like you.”

“I’m not that desperate.” Bianca shook her head.

“Mum,” Jacob grinned as he ran over to her. “Ash just asked me to his birthday on Friday. Can I go?”

“Yeah sure you can,” Charlie smiled. “What he’s got planned?”

Jacob shrugged his shoulders. “He just asked me.”

“We’re going to Sydney,” Bianca answered. “Just Ash, Bella, me and Jacob. He wants to go to the Zoo and McDonalds.”

“Ahh sounds like it’ll be a good day then.” Charlie smiled.

“So I’m allowed?” Jacob asked.

“Yeah sure.” Charlie smiled and Jacob cheered before he ran off to tell Ash. “Thought he’d have wanted more than just Jacob there.” Charlie said as she faced Bianca again.

“He doesn’t really talk too many of the other kids in his class,” Bianca sighed. “Just Jacob.”

“He is a shy one,” Charlie said. “And you know he’s only been at the school a couple of months. I’m sure he’ll open up soon.”

“Will he?” Bianca said as she pushed a tear back. “Maybe I’m doing something wrong.”

“No, Bianca you’ve been great for Ash,” Charlie said. “He’s just a shy kid.”

“You think so?” Bianca questioned and Charlie nodded.

“I know so. He’s really lucky to have you.” Charlie smiled reassuringly at her friend.

Bianca exhaled lightly as she looked around to where the kids were playing. She smiled lightly as she looked to the boy, who was giggling at something Jacob was saying to him. “I don’t think I’m the only one who’s been good for him. He’s lucked out finding a friend like Jacob.”

“Well obviously I’m totally bias here but I do think Jacob’s pretty great.” Charlie laughed.

“That he is.” Bianca smiled as she watched the children playing.

Thank you so much everyone. :wub:

Chapter 154

“So, have you decided on what you are going to do with the cheque from Emma yet?” Charlie questioned, as Bianca gave her another cup of coffee, as she sat down once again at the table.

“No,” Bianca answered. “I don’t know what to do with it,” Bianca sighed as cupped her hands around her coffee cup. “What would you do?”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she sat back in the chair. “I was hoping you wouldn’t ask me for advice.”

“Well I don’t know what to do with it, so you’re supposed to tell me.” Bianca said. “That’s how things work with us.”

“Ah, I wasn’t aware of that, sorry,” Charlie said before she rubbed her forehead. “Just put it in the bank and keep it for Bella for when is 18 and if you did need it for any reason then it’s there.”

“True,” Bianca nodded. “And what about Emma spending time with Bella?”

“That is entirely for you to say.” Charlie answered.

“Well what if Grants other kids wanted a relationship with Ruby?” Bianca questioned. “What would you say?”

“Well they’re a lot younger so it’s not like they could fill Ruby’s head with rubbish.” Charlie answered.

“So you think that’s what Emma wants to do?” Bianca questioned.

“I don’t know,” Charlie shook her head. “I guess it’s always a possibility but she did seem pretty genuine when she was around here yesterday, but then again maybe she’s just a good actress.”

“I’m leaning more towards her being genuine, but I have this nagging feeling at the back of my mind.”

“Well then until that feeling passes – if it ever does – don’t let Emma see Bella. Surely she’ll understand.” Charlie said.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Bianca sighed lightly. “God, a few years ago I was complaining that my life was boring, but look at me now.”

“Indeed.” Charlie said. “Mines has been more than interesting enough lately as well.”

“What are we like?” Bianca said. “Complaining when it’s boring and complaining when it’s too eventful.”

“Well you always were a hard one to please.”

“Uhm, pot kettle black.” Bianca laughed.

“If anyone else said that I would be totally offended right now.” Charlie said. “But since it was you I’ll let it go.”

“You said it about me first,” Bianca said and Charlie laughed.

“So, anyways, did I tell you that Ruby is having a little girl?”

“Aww no you didn’t.” Bianca smiled.

“Yeah so they bought heaps of pink and girly clothes,” Charlie laughed. “I think it feels a little more real to them now they know what they are having. They are planning a nursery now for the new house.”

“How’s the build going?” Bianca questioned. “You think it’ll be ready any time soon?”

“It’s ahead of schedule,” Charlie answered. “So it’s looking likely they could be in the new place sooner than first expected.”

“Ah well that’ll be good for you, get a bit more of your house back.”

“Nah, I’ll miss her,” Charlie said. “I know the new house is only like a 10 minute walk along the road, but it’s been nice having her around again and Xavier too, he’s been so great with Rubes she since got pregnant and he’s a great help with my kids as well.”

“Using you’re kiddies to prepare him are you?” Bianca laughed.

“He doesn’t need much preparing; he’s going to be a great dad.” Charlie smiled. “And I know Rubes will make a great mum so she is going to be one lucky little girl.”

“Yeah I’m sure she will be.” Bianca smiled as Bella and Paige ran over to them. “Hello my little angel.” Bianca smiled as she lifted Bella up on her knee and Paige climbed up onto Charlie's.

“Where are the others going?” Charlie questioned as she looked down to her daughter.

“Them go up the stair.” Paige answered.

“Di essere pirati.” Bella said. “Pirati stupide.”

“Bella is talking silly.” Paige giggled.

“She’s talking Italian,” Bianca told her. “She said that they are going up the stairs to be pirates and that pirates are silly.”

“Riley likes boy things.” Paige giggled. “She not a real girl.”

“Riley è un ragazzo.” Bella giggled.

“Bella,” Bianca gasped. “Non dire cosi, non è bello.”

Bella furrowed her eyebrows before giggling. “What did she say?” Charlie asked.

“That Riley was a boy. Of course I told her not to say that as it’s not nice.”

"Riley a boy,” Paige giggled. “You is funny Bella.”

“Aww poor Riley,” Charlie said. “I wouldn’t want her any other way. Mummy thinks she’s perfect as she is.”

“Is I Mummy?” Paige questioned.

“Of course,” Charlie smiled. “All of my babies are perfect just how they are.” Charlie said before she placed a soft on top of Paige’s head.

“E io mamma?” Bella questioned and Bianca nodded before she gave her daughter a hug and placed a kiss on her head.

Brax walked into the guest room and couldn’t believe what he saw. “What the hell is this?” Brax raised his voice, angry at his brother.

“I eh....it’s not what it looks like.” Heath said.

“Really? Because it looks like a big bag of ecstasy or something to me,” Brax yelled. “What the hell Heath?”

“Look, I....” Heath trailed off as he sat down on the bed. “I owe some guys money. A lot of money.”

“You just got out of jail a few days ago, how can you be in trouble already?” Brax questioned.

“It was from before I went to jail,” Heath sighed. “I got into some bother with someone. He didn’t know of your existence otherwise he’d probably come after you for the money when I got sent down. But they somehow know I am out of jail and have already been on at me for the money.”

“How much is it?” Brax questioned.

“I don’t want to tell you.” Heath shook his head.

“How much?” Brax yelled.

“$250,000.” Heath said quietly.

“For goodness sake Heath, how do you owe that much?” Brax questioned.

“It was only $2,000 back then.” Heath sighed. “I guess these guys pile on the interest and quick.”

“Well you have been away for 5 years.” Brax sighed. “Look, you need to get those out of my house, right this second.”

“I can’t.” Heath shook his head. “The guy buying them can’t meet me till next week.”

“Well find somewhere else to hide them,” Brax yelled. “I’ve got young kids in this house. Paige was in hospital on an IV only months back because she took one of these when Liam was staying with us.” Brax yelled as he stormed further into the room and picked up the bag of drugs.

“Hey, hands off.” Heath said as he reached forward and tried to take them back but Brax pushed his brother back and out of the way.

“You’re getting rid of these or you are out of this house.” Brax spat.

“I need to sell those. Where else am I going to get $250,000?” Heath questioned. Brax exhaled lightly as he rubbed his forehead. “Please, just let me do this and then this life.....I’ll change. I want too.”

“We can think of another way to get you money,” Brax said. “You don’t need to do this. What if you get caught?”

“I’ll be careful.” Heath said. “But Brax, please, that’s going to get me a good start. It’ll keep the guys of my back for a bit until I think of a way to get more money.”

“You get these out of this house, and now.” Brax raised his voice as he threw the bag to Heath.

“Where else can I put them?” Heath questioned. “It’s not for much longer and the kids are scared of me anyways so it’s not like they will come in my room.”

“What about Charlie?” Brax questioned.

“She’s hates me even more so there’s no chance of her snooping.” Heath said.

“I can’t lie to her about this.” Brax shook his head as he sat down at the end of the bed. He held his head in his hands as he sighed.

“You don’t need to lie to her.” Heath said. “Just keep quiet.”

“So then I’m lying by knowing something is going on and not telling her and not getting rid of you. I told her any funny business and you’d be out.” Brax said as he looked back up to his brother.

“I’m you brother,” Heath said. “And normally family loyalty is something that’s important to you. So just this little secret to help me out would be greatly appreciated.”

Brax exhaled lightly as rubbed the side of his head. Heath with his brother and he’d just spent the last 5 years of his life in jail. The last thing Brax wanted was to see him go back there again. “Put them in the pool house.”

Heath grinned as he patted his brothers back. “Good man. But you sure the kids or Charlie won’t go in there? Or little rock-star and Xav for that matter?”

“Nah, it’s winter eh,” Brax answered. “There’s no need for it.”

“Thanks bro, I really do appreciate it.” Heath nodded.

“Just stay out of my face for the rest of today.” Brax said as he stood up from the bed, pushing Heath to the side before he walked of the room and down the stairs.

Chapter 155

Heath walked up the path to her house, feeling somewhat nervous. He’d dressed in his smartest pair of jeans and had a white t-shirt on, with a navy blue zip-up hoodie over the top. He took a deep breath before he rang the doorbell. He looked down as little brown haired boy answered the door. He began to wonder if he’d gotten the wrong house but it was then when he saw Bianca standing behind the boy, placing her hand on his shoulder as a little girl pushed through so she was standing next to Ash. “Bianca,” Heath smiled. “Long time no see. How’s life?”

“I heard you were back,” Bianca said before she looked down to the kids. “Why don’t you guys go play?” Bianca questioned as she looked down to the kids, who were looking at her full of wonder as too who the man was. Ash did as he was told as ran back from the door, but Bella looked up to her as she furrowed her eyebrows.

“Who he?” Bella questioned as she wrapped her arms around Bianca’s. “Mamma who he?”

“No one you need to know about sweetheart,” Bianca answered. “Now go and be a good girl and play with Ash.”

“Hmm I stay with mamma,” Bella gave Bianca a sweet grin. “What him name?” Bella asked.

“Hey little one, I’m Heath.” Heath smiled as he looked down to her.

“I’s Bella,” Bella grinned, showing off her teeth. “Isabella some of them times.”

“When she is naughty?” Heath laughed as he looked to Bianca, who was standing there, unimpressed at she glared at Heath.

“What do you want, Heath?” Bianca questioned as Bella swung on her mother’s arm.

“Just wanted to let you know I was back in town.” Heath smiled.

“Yeah, I’ve already heard.” Bianca answered.

“Buckton filled you in, I guess?” Heath questioned.

“Yes, she did,” Bianca answered. “Did you expect me to be bothered?”

“Well we kinda had a thing going,” Heath said. “So I thought maybe you would be glad to see me.”

“That was like 7 years ago now,” Bianca laughed, before she glared down at her daughter who was still hanging off her arm. “Bella I won’t tell you again, go and play with Ash.” Bella sighed before she toddled off to play. Heath laughed lightly before giving Bianca a smile.

“They keeping you busy then?”

“Of course,” Bianca said. “But it’s all worth it. Not that you’d know.”

Heath sniggered. “So, are you going to invite me in?”

“Why would I?” Bianca asked, as she pulled a face of confusion.

“Well I thought it would be nice to have a catch up,” Heath said. “And I see you are single.” Heath smiled as he looked down at her left hand.

“Just because I don’t have a ring on my finger, it doesn’t mean I am single.” Bianca answered. “Look, Heath, quite frankly, I don’t care that your back, so why not just go off and do whatever it is that you do that makes you happy and leave me alone?” Bianca said as screams could be heard in the background before Ash came running over to Bianca.

“Bella bit me.” Ash cried as he hugged into her.

“Isabella.” Bianca shouted as she turned and looked in the house, but Bella was nowhere to be seen.

“She ran up the stairs.” Ash said as Bianca wiped the tears from his face.

Bianca sighed lightly before looking back up to Heath. “So goodbye.” Bianca said as she closed the door in Heath’s face before looking down to Ash’s arm, where there were 2 very visible bite marks.

“Bella is so naughty now.” Ash sighed.

“I know,” Bianca nodded. “She’s not being nice at all is she?”

“No.” Ash sniffed back as he walked through the house with Bianca.

“Are you okay?” Bianca questioned and Ash nodded lightly. “Okay, you go back to playing and I’ll go sort out this little madam.” Bianca said before making her way up the stairs to find her daughter.

Brax walked into the house and walked through to the kitchen to see Charlie putting a load of laundry into the machine. “Still on holiday clothes?” Brax laughed.

“Well there are seven people’s clothes to wash,” Charlie replied as she pushed the buttons on the machine, before she stood to her feet and turned to face Brax. “What’s that you’ve got in your hand?”

“Ah, it’s the adoption stuff for Jake,” Brax smiled. “I’ve filled it all out, but I need your signature.”

Charlie pursed her lips together. “Still planning on going through with that then.”

“Well yeah of course,” Brax nodded. “I told you I would. I thought you wanted this too.”

“I do,” Charlie nodded lightly. “But like I say, with Heath being here…I just don’t trust him and knowing him he will more than likely do something stupid and it’ll ruin your chances.”

“Well when we find out when the visit is, I will send Heath away on some important restaurant business so he won’t be here to muck up my chances.” Brax said.

Charlie laughed lightly. “You think that’ll be enough?”

“Well it’ll get him away from here for the day. He can’t ruin my chances if he isn’t here, can he?”

“I guess not,” Charlie exhaled as she walked closer to Brax. “So you believe he’ll ruin your chances to then?”

“Anything is a possibility with Heath I guess.” Brax sighed. Charlie pursed her lips together as she looked down.

“So you’re not completely naive then,” Charlie said. “At least that’s something.”

Brax exhaled lightly before bringing the subject back to Jacob’s adoption. He didn’t want to argue about Heath, again. “So, the papers. Will you sign it?”

“Sure.” Charlie held her hand out and Brax passed her the papers before he walked over to the drawer and pulled out a pen, before walking back over to Charlie. She put the papers down on the table and signed her name.

“Thanks.” Brax smiled as he took the papers back into his hand.

“Right now I’m not doing this for you,” Charlie said. “I’m doing this for Jacob.” Charlie walked out of the kitchen, and into the living room, but Brax followed.

“You’re still mad at me, I get it,” Brax sighed as he leaned against the door frame. “What’s it going to take?”

“Like you don’t know.” Charlie sighed.

“You said he could stay here for one week,” Brax said as he walked further into the room. “Please Charlie, just this one week, then I’ll ask him to leave. I need to get through to him.”

“One week.” Charlie pursed her lips together.

“Thank you.” Brax smiled lightly. “So, where are the kids?”

“They’re out with Ruby and Xavier,” Charlie answered. “Taking Milo for a walk.”

“Right, well I might drive back into town with these papers today,” Brax smiled. “The sooner I get them in, the sooner we’ll get a visit and hopefully Jacob becomes my legal son.”

“Yeah.” Charlie smiled hopefully. Although she was angry with Brax at this moment in time, she did want him to become Jacob’s legal father and hoped that this time, the adoption went through.

“Do you want anything from town?” Brax questioned.

“No thanks.” Charlie shook her head.

“Okay, well I shouldn’t be long.” Brax smiled before leaving the house once again.

Ruby, Xavier and the kids were walking along the grassy area of land towards the lake, where Milo liked to swim, and the kids liked to skim stones into. “Hey, kiddies, you see that house there?” Ruby questioned as she pointed over the road to the house.

“Yeah,” Jacob nodded. “What about it?”

“That house is getting build for me and Xavier.” Ruby smiled.

“Cool,” Riley grinned. “All for only you?”

“Yup, just us.” Xavier smiled.

“It really big.” Riley widened her eyes. “Like our house.”

“Is the baby in there too?” Paige questioned as she looked up to her sister, full of wonder.

“Oh yeah,” Ruby nodded. “Of course this little one will be with us.” Ruby rubbed her stomach and smiled as her daughter kicked.

“He stay with me,” Riley announced sharply. “No you.”

“Aw sorry sweetie but she’ll be living with us.” Xavier said and Riley looked up at him and frowned.

“It’s a boy and he with me.” Riley folder her arms across her chest as she stuck her bottom lip out.

“It’s a girl, Riley.” Ruby said. “And you can still come and see her all the time when we are in this house. It’s not far from your place is it?”

“No,” Jacob shook his head. “Ruby is you’re place going to have a swimming pool like ours does?”

“Eh, we haven’t really decided that yet,” Ruby said as she looked up to Xavier. “What do you think?”

“Why have a swimming pool when we can go to the gorgeous beach that we have?” Xavier said as he rubbed the back of his head. “But if you’d like one?”

“Well, I like swimming,” Ruby said. “But maybe we can just go around to mum’s place for that.”

“Yeah you come to us house.” Paige grinned. “You no forget.”

“I would never forget you Paigey, or anyone at the house.”

“Even the boogeyman?” Riley asked, a small look of fear coming into her eyes.

“He’s not the boogeyman,” Ruby shook her head. “He is your daddy’s brother, so your uncle.”

“He’s silly whoever he is,” Jacob sighed. “I hope he doesn’t stay long. Mummy doesn’t like him either.”

“No, she doesn’t,” Ruby said. “But he is daddy’s brother so I guess it’s important to him that he stays for a while.”

“Well I’s no talking to him,” Paige announced. “He be scary.”

“Yeah,” Riley nodded. “You no like him Xava?”

“Not really,” Xavier answered truthfully as he picked up a stone and threw it into the lake. “But like Ruby said he is important to your daddy so he needs to stay for a while.”

“I wish not.” Riley shook her head before she too reached down for a stone, with Jacob and Paige copying.

“Ah wow, that was a good skim Jakey.” Ruby smiled as Paige ran over to her and pulled on her hands.

“Yeah, it’s easy to skim stones.” Jacob said as he reached down to pick up another stone.

“Ruby,” Paige said almost in a whisper as she pulled on her hand again. Ruby looked down to her little sister. “Can we pick flowers?”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled “Of course we can.”

“For mummy.” Paige grinned.

“Aww I’m sure she’ll love that.” Ruby said before she and Paige started walking further away from the lake, leaving Xavier, Riley and Jacob and skim the stones as Milo ran around at the edge of the lake.

Thank you so much beebee, homeandaway13, Freakie42, Sarah, Red Ranger 1, Spotd1, pembie and RoRo90 for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 156

Brax was walking along the road, after handing the papers in. Just as he was about the go back into the car, he felt a presence of someone behind him. He turned around and looked up to the man, who was taller and bigger than himself. “Can I help you?” Brax questioned.

“You’re letting Heath Braxton live with you right?” He asked.

“Who’s asking?” Brax questioned.

“I’m his friend Jett.” Jett said. “I’ve been watching him,” Jett looked around to see for passers-by before taking a step closer to Brax. “Thanks to your little friend, he’s just made his problem your problem as well.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” Brax shook his head, trying to keep his cool. Of course he knew exactly what Jett was on about. This was clearly one of the men that Heath owed the large sum of money too. “So, if you don’t mind...” Brax went to open the door of the car, but the man’s hand flung out banged onto the car, stopping Brax and he turned back around to face him.

“Pretty little wife you have,” The man smirked. “And kiddies too. Wouldn’t want anything to happen to them now, would we?”

“You leave them out of this,” Brax raised his voice. “You so much as lay on finger of any of them and you’ll be six feet under before you know it.” Brax spoke in a threating tone as he pushed the man back.

Jett laughed in Brax’s face. “Don’t be so stupid to threaten me,” Jett said. “I’m the one that issues the threats here. As long you and Heath get the money – and the full sum of money – to me by the end of this week, nothing will happened to them.”

“Why you dragging me into this? Who says I know Heath?” Brax questioned.

“Like I say, I’ve been watching him.” Jett smirked once again. “So, I know you know him, why else would you let him stay with you?”

“Don’t need to make his problems mines though, do you?” Brax questioned. “I owe you nothing.”

“You and that stupid Heath will have the money for me by the end of this week.” Jett repeated. “If I get my wish, that pretty lady and the kiddies won’t get hurt, or that pretty blonde one that Heath was talking with before.”

“You listen to me,” Brax spoke through gritted teeth as he took a step forward and pointed his finger toward Jett’s chest. “There’ll be no threat on my family or that other lady,” Brax said. He had a pretty good idea that the man was talking about Bianca, but he didn’t want to name names, just to keep Bianca safer, if anything. “There’s no need to involve them, so you just keep away.”

Jett sniggered. “Ah mate, that’s pretty funny. You trying to call the shots.”

“Don’t you mate me,” Brax shook his head. “You’ll get your money when Heath has it. Just leave me and the rest of my family and friends out of it.”

“The end of the week.” Jett smirked as he patted Brax’s shoulder before he walked off. Brax exhaled lightly as he pulled his mobile from his pocket and dialled Heath’s number.

“Heath, were are ya?” Brax questioned angrily. “I’ll be there in 5. We need to talk.” Brax hung up the phone and got into her car, before he drove off to have a little talk with his brother.

“Mummy thems are for you,” Paige grinned excitedly as she ran into the living room with the flowers she’d picked for her. “From me.”

“Aww wow, thank you sweetheart,” Charlie smiled as she took the flowers into her hands. “They’re beautiful.”

Paige giggled as she climbed up onto the couch. “We got ‘ems when we tooked Milo to the lake.”

“He no swim today,” Riley shook her head as she too climbed up onto the couch. “But he had fun.”

“Yeah, he tried to eat the grass.” Jacob giggled as he played with Milo on the living room floor. Milo’s rope toy half in his mouth, and half of it in Jacob’s hand.

“Silly puppy,” Charlie shook her head as Xavier walked into the living room. “Hey Xav, thanks for that.”

“It’s alright,” Xavier smiled as he sat down onto the armchair. “We had a nice walk eh kiddies.”

“Yeah,” Paige nodded. “They tooked us to our new house.”

“Not ours,” Jacob sighed. “Ruby and Xava’s and the baby’s.”

“Yeah,” Paige nodded. “Themses house.”

“No,” Riley shook her head as she stood up on the couch. “Not the baby,” Riley held her hands out to the side. “He live with me.”

“Aww Riley the baby needs to live with her mummy and daddy.” Charlie said as put the flowers down on the coffee table and lifted her daughter onto her knee, if only to stop her from standing on the couch.

“No,” Riley squealed. “With me.”

“She can’t stay with us,” Charlie shook her head. “She should be with her mummy and daddy.”

“Why not with me?” Riley stuck her bottom lip out as tears formed in her eyes. “I be really good with him.”

“Aw I know you will sweetie, but she’s not going to be living here, but you can go to Ruby and Xavier’s all the time to see her, and she’ll be around here visiting a lot too.”

“They’s could all live here then.” Riley suggested as she looked up to her mother.

“Ah but we need to live in the new house, we can’t live with your mummy forever.”

“Well you could.” Jacob answered as he continued to play with Milo.

“Yeah,” Paige grinned excitedly. “You could.”

“I think they’ll deserve a break from living with you little ones soon,” Charlie laughed. “Where is Ruby anyways?”

“She went for a lie down,” Xavier answered. “I think the walk made her a little tired.”

“Ah okay,” Charlie smiled lightly. “Well I’m going to put the kettle on if you want a coffee or tea?” Charlie questioned as she stood up from the couch, and put Riley down on the floor and she ran over to were Jacob and Milo were still fighting over the rope toy. “You’ll tire of that before Milo does.” Charlie told her son.

“No I won’t,” Jacob scrunched his face up. “I’ll win it.”

Charlie laughed lightly before looking back to Xavier. “So, can I get you a drink?”

“Tea please.” Xavier smiled and Charlie nodded as she walked through to the kitchen with Paige following as she carried the flowers through for her mother.

“You put these to water,” Paige said as she handed them up to her. Charlie took the flowers in her hand and laid them down on the worktop, before opening the cupboard and taking out a vase and laying it on the worktop. “Up mummy,” Paige said. “On the countertop.” Charlie lifted Paige up and sat her on the worktop next to the flowers. “Mummy.” Paige said.

“Yes darling?” Charlie questioned as she filled up the vase with water.

“I wish Ruby and Xava would stay.” Paige bowed her head down sadly.

“Aww sweetie, they have to move out and into their own house. They are going to be a little family.” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed her daughters head.

“She be ours.” Paige sighed as she looked back up at her mother.

“They’ll always be our family,” Charlie said as she rubbed her daughter’s cheek. “And we will still see them all the time.”

“Promise?” Paige questioned.

“I promise.” Charlie said before she pulled Paige into a hug.

Brax walked into the surf club and saw that Heath was playing pool with Sam, one of the river boys. “Oi Heath over here, now.” Brax raised his voice, wanting to make his brother aware of his mood.

“What’s up bro?” Heath questioned as he walked over to him.

“I had a visit from you’re little friend.” Brax spat.

“What friend? You know me, Mr Popular.” Heath smirked.

“Jett,” Brax said and Heath raised his eyebrows. “He threated Charlie and the kids, and Bianca.” Brax pushed Heath angrily. “So what you going to do about it?”

“There’s nothing I can do until I get the money, I told you.” Heath replied quietly, not wanting other people in the surf club to hear.

“My family are getting threated,” Brax seethed. “You will do something, and now.”

“I can’t,” Heath shook his head. “If I don’t have any money what the hell do you expect me to do?”

“You can start by getting those drugs sold and give him the money for them.” Brax said.

“Yeah, he’s getting the drug money, but like I say, I can’t sell the drugs till the end of the week.” Heath explained.

“Find someone else to buy them now.” Brax spat. “He’s given me a threat of wanting all the money by the end of the week or my family are going to get hurt and I cannot risk that.”

“I’m sorry that he’s involved your family, but this guy...” Heath shook his head. “He’s full of empty threats. He won’t hurt them.”

“Damn it Heath.” Brax yelled. “I should never have....” Brax trailed off as she shook his head. “Charlie was right all along. I shouldn’t have let you stay, but I’m not going to turn my back on you now, so I’ll help you with this, but then you are to get out of my life, you understand?”

Heath nodded sadly. “But how are we going to get this money?”

Brax exhaled as he looked up before looking back to his brother as he rubbed the back of his head. “I have an idea but I need to think this over properly.”

“Right,” Heath nodded. “Care for a game of pool?”

Brax laughed. “Nah but I do feel like doing this.” Brax said as he flung a punch in Heath’s direction and landed his fist hard against Heath’s eye.

“What the hell was that for?” Heath said as he gently wiped over his eye with his hand.

“Funny question Heath,” Brax laughed. “Pretty sure you’re not that stupid that you didn’t know why I did that.”

“Jeeze,” Heath sighed. “You going to give me a lift back to the house then?”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “You can make your own way home.”

“But it’s like a 10 minute drive out of the bay. Longer if you’re walking,” Heath sighed. “And it’s started raining outside.”

“Good job that has a hood then eh.” Brax said as he pulled on Heath’s hoodie, before he turned and walked out of the surf club, leaving his brother behind.

Thank you beebee, Zoe, Sabrina, Red Ranger 1, Spotd1, Sarah, Soph1303, Freakie42 and RoRo90 for the comments. Red Ranger 1 – I haven’t watched the show for a while, so I didn’t know there was a character called Jett! Haha, but no, it’s not the Jett from the show.

Chapter 157

Brax walked into the house, shivering at the cold, as he was wet with the rain that had fallen on him from the short distance of the driveway to the house. “Hey,” Brax smiled as he walked into the living room. “Where is everyone now? Don’t tell me they are still out with in the dog in that?”

“Ruby is having a lie down, Xavier has gone around to Gina’s, the girls are playing in their room and Jacob and Milo are in the conservatory.” Charlie answered. “So, I guess you got them handed in alright.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Brax nodded.

“So what happens now?” Charlie questioned.

“I guess they’ll just be in touch and let me know then when they can come and check things out.” Brax said and Charlie nodded as she pursed her lips together.

“Right well I hope for your sake and Jacob’s it’s not this week when Heath is still here.” Charlie said coldly.

“Charlie.” Brax sighed.

“I mean it, Brax,” Charlie said. “One week and he’s gone. So, 5 more days.”

“Look,” Brax exhaled lightly as he rubbed his head. “Maybe it would be best if you left for a few days. Get you away from Heath.”

“What?” Charlie questioned.

“You and Bianca,” Brax said. “Maybe you can take the kiddies for a fun few days away.”

“Yeah, because we haven’t just been to Hawaii with the kids.” Charlie exhaled.

“I know, but Bianca hasn’t been away since before she had Bella, so I just thought maybe it would be nice.” Brax said. “You and her are good friends right?”

“The best yeah.” Charlie pulled a face, slightly confused at Brax’s desire to suddenly get her and the kids out of the house, and more strangely seemingly out of the bay.

“So, what do you think?” Brax asked. “You could always go and ask Bianca what she thinks.”

“Why do you want me to leave?” Charlie questioned.

“Well I know how much having Heath here is bothering you so I figured if you went on a little holiday then by the time you got back, he could be gone like promised.” Brax said, not of course wanting to tell Charlie the proper reason he was trying to get her out of the bay.

“Well we could for a few days...” Charlie bit her lip as she considered it. “But Ash wanted to go into the city for his birthday on Friday. He wanted to go to the Zoo then McDonalds, so we’d need to be home for that, so that means leaving tomorrow which is Wednesday, so really only getting all of Thursday...” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head. “There would be no point really.”

“Well can’t you just do something for Ash where ever you go?” Brax questioned. “I mean what; he’s only going to be 7?” Brax said. “I’m sure as long as he gets to do something he’ll be happy.”

“Well, he’s been through a lot lately, Brax. He’s lost his mum, then Liam went off the rails so he’s lost his dad, Bianca was a total stranger to him and he’s had to live her. He wants to go to Sydney Zoo and then McDonalds so Bianca is going to make that happen for him.”

“Fair enough,” Brax exhaled. “Could always just spend some time in Sydney then?”

“Brax, why are you so keen on me leaving?” Charlie questioned. “Is there something going on that I should know about?”

“Nah,” Brax rubbed forehead. “Like I say, I just want you to not have to deal with Heath.”

“Yeah but that doesn’t mean that I am going to leave my home because of him,” Charlie exhaled. “If you want me to not have to deal with Heath, I think it’s pretty obvious at what you need to do.”

“Charlie, I can’t,” Brax shook his head. “I promised him.”

“Then 5 more days.” Charlie said before she walked out of the living room and made her way up the stairs to check on the twins.

Ruby and Xavier were walking along the road. After breakfast they decided to go their house, to make a start to what they felt was the most important room; the baby’s room. They’d been given instruction just that morning that the house was now built, so they could start decorating the rooms how they wished, although the builders would still be working on the garage. Xavier had already been into town and had bought the paint for the walls, although they both needed to go and pick out a cot, and the other furniture. “So doesn’t seem like the twins are too happy with the move.”

“No, bless them,” Ruby laughed. “But I’m sure they’ll get used to it.”

“I’m not so sure,” Xavier answered. “I think little Riley might kidnap the baby.”

Ruby laughed. “Bless her, its sweet that she cares though.”

“Yeah I suppose it is,” Xavier answered as they walked into the house and made their way up the stairs and into the room that was going to be the nursery. “So I asked the guy when I was buying the paint if it was safe for you to help and he showed me what paint was safest and then said it’s best to keep the area well ventilated.” Xavier said as he opened the window.

“Okay,” Ruby smiled. As annoying as Xavier could be with all his pregnancy tips, he did just want Ruby, and more importantly their baby to be safe, so she put up with it. “So, where do you want to start?” Ruby questioned as she picked up the roller and tray and took the plastic wrapping off it.

“Well I guess we just paint the walls,” Xavier answered as he opened the tin of light pink paint. They had decided to paint 3 of the walls in light pink, with the fourth wall, where the cot would be left in white, with the baby’s name written in pink writing over the cot. Simple, but Ruby and Xavier didn’t want anything more. And they would accessorise it up with little teddies, photo frames and of course there would be a mobile above the cot. “We’ll get the pink walls done first, then while the paint is drying we could go into town because I forgot the white paint. So we could get that and then maybe go cot shopping.”

“Sounds good.” Ruby smiled. “And how could you forget the white paint?”

“Eh...can I get away with saying baby brain?” Xavier questioned.

“No,” Ruby laughed. “You most certainly can’t.” Ruby said as she pulled the plastic wrapping off the second tray and roller.

“Worth a try,” Xavier grinned as he poured some paint into each of the trays. “So, I know we don’t need to decide right now, but if we are going to paint her name on the wall, we need to at least start shortening the list of names we have.”

“What so we aren’t giving her all those names?” Ruby questioned. “I thought Violet Olivia Grace Megan Amber Louise Austin sounded great.”

Xavier laughed lightly as he rolled the roller in the paint before he started rolling it up the wall. “Well I think giving her all those names is verging on child abuse.”

“Could be right,” Ruby agreed. “Well Grace and Megan are my favourites. So what are yours?”

“Grace and Louise.” Xavier smiled.

“Well Grace has two votes, so, how about Grace Austin?” Ruby questioned as she lightly rubbed her stomach and smiled as he felt her daughter moving around inside her.

“Grace Austin,” Xavier smiled as he leaned the roller against the wall and walked over to Ruby, and wrapped one arm around her waist and placed his other hand on her bump. “What do you think bub? One kick for no, two for yes.” Ruby and Xavier both looked down to her bump, as Ruby placed her hand down next to Xavier’s before she could feel two quick kicks from her baby.

“Looks like we have our baby name,” Ruby smiled as she looked up at Xavier and they shared a soft kiss. “Mmm,” Ruby exhaled as she looked up to Xavier and gazed into his eyes. “Maybe we could go and check-out our bedroom first.”

“We kinda need to paint the room for little Grace right now.” Xavier smiled as he wrapped his other arm around her. Ruby rested her stomach against his chest as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Mmm.....we have 4 more months before little Grace gets here,” Ruby said as she started to walk backwards, sliding her hands and into Xavier’s hand and dragging him with her. “And I don’t think she’d mind at all if mummy and daddy delayed painting her nursery so we could...” Ruby trailed off as she raised her eyebrows.

“Mmm I see,” Xavier smiled. “Problem is, we don’t actually have a bed in our bedroom at this moment in time.”

“Who said we need a bed?” Ruby questioned as she pulled him out of the room and down the hallway, a cheeky grin on her face.

Thank you all so much for the comments. :wub: Hope this one is alright, and this will be the last chapter I am able to post until I get back from my holiday. :)

Chapter 158

Xavier and Ruby made their way back into the baby’s room. “Well I guess we should get this started then after our break.” Xavier said as he walked into the room and picked up the roller.

“Break?” Ruby questioned. “We didn’t do much resting.”

“Well no,” Xavier laughed lightly. “But we didn’t do much painting either.” Xavier said as he made a start to the wall.

“Well paint away now my dear.” Ruby laughed and she picked up the second roll and started to help him paint the wall.

“So, is everything alright with Brax and your mum?” Xavier questioned. “Seemed like they had some sort of argument again yesterday.”

“Yeah,” Ruby sighed as she shook her head. “It’s just Heath being around,” Ruby answered. “Mum isn’t happy with Brax sticking by him, but I’m just staying away. I’m not going to get involved. Mum and Brax need to just deal with this on their own.”

“Well I think we all know what needs to be done if Brax wants the arguing to stop,” Xavier sighed. “But like you say, it’s probably just best to keep out.”

“Yeah,” Ruby nodded. “Although maybe we could offer to look after the kids tonight and let mum and Brax go out for a meal or something. Maybe them getting away on their own for a few hours will be good for them, you know Heath won’t be close by and they can hopefully just enjoy being newlyweds for a while.”

“Yeah sounds like an idea,” Xavier smiled. “Maybe if they get some alone time they’ll see all this arguing is just silly.”

“Well that’s what I’m hoping,” Ruby smiled. “They should be head over heels in love and stuff at the moment, not arguing every time they open their mouths.”

“Yeah,” Xavier nodded. “But, it’s Charlie and Brax. They’ll work it all out in the end, they always do.”

“Yeah.” Ruby smiled before she looked up to Xavier and burst into laughter.

“What’s so funny?” Xavier questioned.

“You’ve managed to get lots of lovely pink paint all over your forehead already.” Ruby said and Xavier laughed as he wiped his hand over his forehead, only managing to make it worse.

“Well best get used to all this pink stuff if we are having a little girl,” Xavier grinned. “I’m going to spoil her rotten. She’ll be my one and only princess.”

“You’re one and only?” Ruby questioned as she tilted her head to the side.

“I eh...” Xavier put the roller down against wall as he scratched the side of his head. “I mean my one and only child princess, you of course are my wife princess.”

“Good save.” Ruby said.

“I thought so too,” Xavier grinned. “Now, let’s get back to painting.” Ruby smiled lightly before she picked up one of the rollers and started to paint the room for her baby daughter.

Brax walked back into the house, after an afternoon working in the restaurant, and went through to the living room to find the place empty. He rubbed the back of his head as he walked through to the kitchen, to see Charlie sitting at the table.

“Hey, did you get the message from Ruby about her watching the kids so we could go out for a meal tonight?” Brax questioned.

“I did yeah,” Charlie nodded before she bit her lip. “But I told her not to rush home as it wouldn’t be necessary.”

“Why not?” Brax questioned. “A night out could be just what we need right now.”

“Jacob found these.” Charlie said as she lifted the bag of drugs from her knee and put them on the table so that Brax could see them.

“Oh God, how did he find them. They were put -” Brax rubbed the back of his head as he walked further into the room.

“What do you mean how did he find them?” Charlie questioned. “Did you...” Charlie shook her head in disbelief as she stood up from the table. “Oh my God you knew about these didn’t you?”

“I eh...I....” Brax was tongue tied. He didn’t know how to explain this one.

“Well?” Charlie yelled. “Start talking, Brax, and just tell me the truth.”

“The eh...the night Heath came back, I eh...I saw him with them. He’s eh....he owes someone a lot of money. $250,000 to be exact. He’s planning on selling the drugs to get some money to give to this guy, but obviously it’s nowhere near going to be enough.”

“How could you Brax?” Charlie felt tears forming in her eyes at his betrayal. “You promised me any sort of illegal stuff and he’d be gone.”

“I need to help him,” Brax explained. “He needs to be pulled out of this cycle that he’s got himself stuck in. So I told him to hide the drugs in the pool house. I didn’t think anyone would go in there till next summer.”

“Well the kids were playing hide and seek,” Charlie spat. “Be thankful it Jacob who found them. Paige or Riley....they’re curious and love sweets so you never know, maybe Paige would have died this time,” Charlie yelled. “Would that even make you see sense?”

Brax pursed his lips together. “Well nothing happened,” Brax spoke quietly. “Please tell me you haven’t called the police? That would at this time just make everything worse.”

Charlie sniggered. “You think if I called the police the drugs would still be here?” Charlie questioned. “Do you think if I called the police the kids would still be here?”

“Why would the police take the kids?” Brax questioned.

“Uh, do you not remember what happened when Paige took Liam’s drugs?” Charlie questioned. “She nearly died and the kids got taken from us. If they knew that drugs had been in our house for the third time....” Charlie shook her head as her tone showed she’d become more and more angry with Brax. “Then it would be goodbye children for good. We wouldn’t get them back this time Brax, and they’d have to go live with strangers, more than likely be split up, so no, I haven’t called the police, and don’t think for one second it’s for your brothers sake, because it’s not. It’s about me not losing my kids. The most important things in my life.” Charlie was furious by this point, almost screaming out her words.

“Well still I’m sure Heath will appreciate it.” Brax replied.

“Heath?” Charlie questioned. “Still all you care about is bloody Heath. What is it about him that makes you disregard everyone else in your life?”

“Like I say, he’s my brother and I’m going to help him.” Brax sighed. “If I turn my back on him...” Brax shook his head. “He has no one else.”

“So you’re willing to sacrifice all of us then?” Charlie questioned.

“Like I say....he’s owes someone a lot of money and this guy, he’s threated you and the kids and I don’t want to risk you getting hurt, so right now, it’s not just about Heath.” Brax shook his head. “I need to protect you and the only way I can do that is by sticking by Heath.”

“So what are you going to do?” Charlie questioned. “What’s this big plan to save the day?” Charlie waved her hands out to the side as she spoke. “Because we sure as hell don’t have a spare $250,000 lying around.”

Brax took a deep breath, knowing already Charlie was going to oppose to the idea. “The restaurant is insured for a lot.” Brax said quietly, nervous for Charlie’s reaction. “I’m going to set it on fire and we’ll use the insurance money to -”

“You what?” Charlie raised her voice, shocked at Brax’s stupidity. “You set that restaurant on fire and you’ll go straight to jail for arson and most likely trying to fraud the insurance company.”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “I’ll make it look like an accident.”

“Don’t be so stupid, Brax.” Charlie shouted. “You’ll never get away with it.”

“How do you know?” Brax questioned. “I need to do something to help Heath get the money.”

“No, no you don’t,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s not your problem.”

“Except it is,” Brax raised his voice. “He has threated you, the kids, Bianca, if Heath and I don’t get the money to him by the end of this week, so he’s made it my problem Charlie, okay, so I need to keep all of you safe, so I’m sorry, but, I need to do this, I’ll not go down, I promise. I know what I’m doing.”

“Okay, so let’s say you do get away with this, and you give this guy the money and Heath leaves, how are we going to manage to live off of my wage? I work part-time in a low paid job. There is no way I can support paying the bills for this place, plus putting food on the table and clothes on everyone’s backs.” Charlie shook her head. “You can’t just think about you stupid brother here Brax, you need to think about us.”

“I am thinking about us.” Brax yelled as he hit his chest with his hand. “I told you he was threating you so I am only doing this to keep you safe. It’s all about keeping you lot safe....and we’ll still have insurance money left over so we can put that towards a new restaurant you know, we’ll need a loan from the bank as well but -”

“And what about the surf club? This fire will probably damage that too, and John and Alf don’t need that. What have they done to you? Nothing. Brax, you do this and I’ll tell the police myself that it wasn’t an accident.”

Brax sniggered as he rubbed his chin with his hand. “You’d shop your own husband?” Brax questioned. “That’s real love isn’t it?”

“Don’t you talk to me about what real love is,” Charlie seethed. “Right now, you’re not the man I love. You’re....you’re turning back into one of them by hiding the drugs for Heath and this stupid plan to give some shark his money back....you’re already falling back into river boy life and Heath’s only been back a few days.” Charlie shook her head as she tried her hardest to fight back the tears that so desperately wanted to fall.

Brax once again sniggered. “You know what, Charlie, that’s who I am.” Brax said as he pointed to himself. “Part of me is always going to be a river boy. The way I was a part-time father when the girls were first born, the way I used to drink to numb the pain of losing Casey, how I hurt you when I was drunk, how I dealt with Ryan. They are all river boy ways.” Brax yelled. “Part of me is always going to be a river boy and it’s time that you accepted that.”

“Well maybe I should just let you go and be river boy because it seems like it’s what you want.” Charlie said as a tear finally escaped her eye.

“It’s not.” Brax shook his head. “I want to be a family with you and the kids.”

“Then Heath has to go and you can’t go on with this stupid plan of yours to set fire to the restaurant. That’s your livelihood. How can you be okay with just setting it alight, losing everything you worked so hard for?” Charlie questioned.

“Because Heath is my brother and I owe this to him,” Brax answered truthfully. “I wasn’t there for him when he was in jail so I feel I have to do this for him.”

“What at the expense of losing your family?” Charlie wiped a tear from her eye. “Because look at what Heath being here is doing to us.”

“You promised me he could stay.” Brax said. “Please Charlie, I promise after we’ve done this and this guys gets his money, Heath will be sent on his way. Trust me.”

“I can’t,” Charlie’s voice broke as she pushed back more tears. “I’m sorry that it’s had to come to this but it’s either him or me.” Charlie said. “What’s more important to you right now?” Charlie asked as she looked up at Brax who had a slight look of shock on his face, not really expecting it to come to this. He pursed his lips together before he shrugged his shoulders ever so slightly. Charlie sniggered as another tear managed to escape her eye. “Well I think you’ve been silent for just a tad too long. The answer should have been instant and the fact it hasn’t....” Charlie trailed off as she pursed her lips together before walking across the kitchen and picking up the car keys from the hanger and walking out into the hallway, stopping at the bottom of the stairs. “Kids come down here please.” Charlie shouted.

“Charlie what are you doing?” Brax questioned as he went out to touch her, but Charlie shrugged away.

“I’m doing what you wish,” Charlie answered quietly. “You said this guy was threatening us and yesterday you were all for me, the kids and Bianca leaving so putting two and two together it’s obvious you want me out of the way so you can do your stupid river boys stuff.”

“I don’t want you to leave me though Charlie, I -” Brax trailed off as the kids came thumping down the stairs.

“What mummy?” Riley questioned. “We is playing.”

“We’re going to go on a little adventure, okay.” Charlie tried to sound as positive as she could as she spoke to the kids. “Off out to the car.” The kids looked to both of their parents for a while before doing as they were told and ran out of the house.

“Charlie, please don’t leave like this.” Brax pleaded as he followed her out of the house and down the drive way. Charlie pushed the button on the car keys, unlocking the door, and Jacob opened the back door and the kids piled into the car. Brax quickened his pace and reached his hand out, talking hold of Charlie’s arm. Charlie span around, and looked up to Brax. Brax had never seen so much anger and hurt in her eyes before now.

“Get off me, now.” Charlie spat before she pulled herself free from his grasp and walked down to the car and got in, turning the keys in the ignition as she turned to face the kids. “You all belted up?” Charlie questioned and all three of them gave her a nod.

“Jacob helped us with our buckles.” Paige smiled from her car seat.

“Great.” Charlie put on her best smile before she drove off down the driveway.

“Charlie.” Brax yelled as he ran down after the car and stopped as he got to the end of the driveway and watched as the car drove off along the road. He let out a scream as he punched his hand against the driveway gates and lone tear slid slowly down his cheek.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. :wub: Hope this one is okay....need to get back into this whole writing thing after a great week in the sun! :lol:

Chapter 159

Charlie opened the door to the hotel room and let the kids run in before she walked in slamming the door shut behind her in anger. “Oh mummy.” Riley said as she climbed up onto one of the double beds that were in the room. “You is mad.”

“I’m not mad,” Charlie shook her head. “It was the wind pulling the door.”

Riley screwed her face up, not believing her mother, before she started jumping on the bed with Paige climbing up to do the same, both girls finding jumping on the bed highly amusing. “Mum,” Jacob exhaled as he ran back over to her. “Are you really okay?”

“I’m fine sweetie,” Charlie smiled weakly as she lightly rubbed his cheek. “You don’t need to worry about me.”

“I heard you and daddy shouting,” Jacob said quietly. “I don’t like it when you shout. Paige and Riley neithers.”

“Mummy does like it either,” Charlie shook her head as she sat down on the chair and gestured for Jacob to come sit on her knee. “But I’m going to try to make it so me and daddy don’t fight anymore, okay.” Charlie wrapped her arms around her son as he sat down on her knee.

“You really promise me mum?” Jacob questioned and Charlie nodded lightly before placing a soft kiss on her sons head. “So will daddy be staying here with us too?” Jacob questioned.

“No,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “You kids and me are going to stay here for tonight, maybe even a few days.”

“In a hotel?” Jacob giggled.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “Don’t you think it’ll be fun?”

“Maybe for a while...” Jacob scratched the side of his head. “But not forevers?”

“No it won’t be forever.” Charlie laughed before she heard her mobile ringing. She pulled it out her pocket to see it was Brax who was calling her. She bit her lip as she hovered her thumb over the answer button, before she cancelled the call and put her phone down on the table.

“But if we are going to be staying here don’t we need pyjamas and other clothes and stuff,” Jacob said. “You didn’t bring them for us. What we going to do?”

“Eh...” Charlie ran her hand through her hair. Clothes would have been a good idea to grab before she left, but of course, it all happened so fast, so she really wasn’t thinking that much about what she was doing. “Rubes will bring some stuff for us.” Charlie told her son. She didn’t want to go back to the house and face Brax, and possibly even Heath, and was pretty sure Ruby would bring some stuff in for her later.

“So will Ruby stay with us too?” Jacob grinned, happy with the idea that Ruby would be staying with them.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “It’ll just be the four of us.”

“But mum, there is only two beds,” Jacob gasped. “How will we sleep?”

“Well they are double beds so they are made for two.” Charlie answered. “So the girls will take one bed and me and you can have the other one. Unless you want to share with your sisters. Then mummy can have a bed all to herself.” Charlie laughed as Jacob screwed his face up.

“I won’t share with them,” Jacob shook his head. “Not Riley. No way,” Jacob shook his head. “She never lays still and she has cold feet.”

Charlie laughed lightly as she wrapped her arms around her son and placed a soft kiss on his head. “Well that settles it then. Me and you in one bed and Riley and Paige in the other.”

“Cool,” Jacob smiled. “Can Ruby bring my pirate pyjamas and my pirate ship and maybe my soccer ball too?”

“Sure she can,” Charlie answered. “Or at least your pirate pj’s and the soccer ball. The ship is pretty big to move around.”

“Okay.” Jacob sighed as he jumped down from her knee and ran off towards the bathroom, just as Charlie’s phone beeped, indicating she had a text message. She picked her phone back up and looked at the screen to see she had a message from Brax. Please just come home so we can talk about this. I love you so much and don’t want to lose you. xx Charlie exhaled lightly as she read the text before she put her phone back down on the table, choosing not to reply to him. She was mad and angry and anything she said right now would probably make things even worse between the two of them.

“Mummy, come jump.” Paige said as she jumped off the bed bringing Charlie away from her thoughts.

“Mummy’s not going to jump on the bed.” Charlie laughed lightly as Paige stood before her.

“Why?” Paige questioned. “It fun.”

“I’m sure it is,” Charlie smiled as she ruffled her daughter’s hair. “But mummy isn’t going to jump on the bed.”

“We is,” Riley grinned as she continued to jump and down. “Paige come back.” Riley said and Paige ran back over to the bed and climbed back up and started jumping up and down again. Charlie smiled lightly at her girls, before picking up her phone and going to call Ruby.

Ruby walked back into the house after getting the phone call from Charlie. Xavier was still at their house, making the finishing touches to the baby’s bedroom. “Charlie?” Ruby heard Brax’s voice as he appeared in the hallway, looking saddened when he saw Ruby standing before him.

“Sorry, no,” Ruby shook her head. “Mum called me though. She said I could tell you she was staying at a hotel in Yabbie Creek so she was safe from your shark man,” Ruby screwed her face up, slightly confused as although Charlie had said briefly what had happened between the two, she didn’t know the situation fully. Brax rubbed his forehead as he sighed. “Do you want to tell me what’s going on?”

“I eh....Heath owes a guy money,” Brax sighed, sensing Ruby would probably find out about this anyways so he may as well tell her. “A lot of money. There’s no way he would be able to get that sort of money by the end of the week so I’m going to set fire to the restaurant and give Heath the insurance money.”

“Are you crazy?” Ruby raised her voice, shocked at his plan. “Brax that’s stupid. The restaurant is your livelihood. How are you going to make money?”

“I’ll open up a new restaurant after all this mess is sorted.” Brax answered calmly.

Ruby sniggered. “You think it’ll be that simple?” Ruby questioned. “How long do you think it would take? How will you get money when you are setting this new restaurant up?”

“I’ll....I’ll make it work somehow.” Brax answered, still feeling confident that his plan would go down fine.

“Why are you even helping Heath anyway?” Ruby questioned. “It’s Heath’s mess not yours.”

“Heath is my brother.” Brax answered. “He’s needs my help and I’m going to be there for him. If Jacob or one of the twins needed help I’m sure you’d do whatever it took to help them.”

“Yeah, but this Brax....” Ruby trailed off as she shook her head. “Surely there is another way.”

“There’s not,” Brax sighed. “Believe me if there was I would be doing it. Do you think I want to revert back to this sort of life? You think I want to make choices that’s possibly made me lose your mother and the kids? Ruby believe me if there was an easier way then I’d be doing it.”

“Well maybe there is,” Ruby sighed as she rubbed her forehead. “Maybe you don’t need to set your restaurant up in flames to get the money.”

“Yeah and how so?” Brax questioned. “Because I can’t think of anything.”

“How much money is it?” Ruby questioned.

“A quarter million,” Brax spoke quietly as he rested his hands against his hips.

Ruby eyes widened. She didn’t really expect it to be that much. “Okay, it’s done,” Ruby exhaled. “I’ll give him the money on the condition that once I do he leaves and you sort things out with mum.”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “I’m not letting you get involved in this.”

“It’s a simpler fix than you setting your restaurant on fire and risking jail for fraud and arson.” Ruby raised her voice, almost yelling at her step-father.

“No,” Brax shook his head. “Rubes you are not doing this. You earned that money for yourself. Heath’s mess isn’t for you to fix. I’m not going to let you do that.”

“So you’re just going to risk jail and losing mum for good?” Ruby questioned. “Seriously Brax just let me help you. It would be a whole lot easier than your plan.”

“The answer is no.” Brax raised his voice.

“Fine,” Ruby exhaled. “Do things your stupid way. I hope you are prepared for what may come though. Mum sounded really angry with you and it’s no wonder. This is stupid. I hope Heath is worth possibly losing your wife and kids for.” Ruby spat before she walked off up the stairs to collect some clothes for her mother and siblings.

Chapter 160

Jacob and Riley were playing with the soccer ball, while Paige played on the slide at the small park that was in the grounds of the hotel. Charlie and Ruby were sitting on the bench, watching the kids having a good time. “So how long do you plan on hiding out here?”

“I don’t know,” Charlie answered. “It’s not like we can stay in a hotel forever.”

“So you’ve actually properly left him?” Ruby gasped shocked.

“I don’t know,” Charlie sighed. “I’m angry with him. He’s making some stupid choices, but....” Charlie rubbed her forehead. “I love him. We’ve just got married...I think I just need time to calm down and hopefully Brax will make the right choice and then we can talk.”

“Yeah well I wouldn’t count on it,” Ruby shook her head. “His mind seems pretty made up.”

“Well he’s just going to need to figure out what he wants more in life. His criminal brother or his family.”

“His brother is his family.” Ruby said quietly.

“You know what I mean Ruby.” Charlie said. “I just wish that Heath never turned up. In a way I am happy that he has someone other than us, you know he has Heath, his brother back in his life, but I just wish it wasn’t Heath the criminal who has already pulled Brax back into the river boy life.”

“You and me both,” Ruby sighed as she rubbed her stomach as her baby kicked. “But it’s seems like Brax is adamant to do things his way.”

“You know I love how passionate he can get about things and I love how loyal he is, but not when he is going against the law to help someone out.” Charlie exhaled lightly as she pulled at the strap on the bag of clothes that Ruby had brought for her.

“Well let’s just hope that he see’s sense,” Ruby said as she looked on and watched as the kids played. “For the kids if no one else. They need their father around.”

“I know and hopefully he’s always going to be here for them.”

“With you or?” Ruby questioned.

“Hopefully,” Charlie bit her lip. “But we’ll just have to see how he will deal with this. If he burns down his restaurant there’s....” Charlie trailed off as she exhaled. “I used to be a police sergeant. There’s no way I can lie to the police if I get questioned.”

“I understand that,” Ruby bit her lip. “But even if it was to save your husband, the man you love more than anything and the father of your children from going to jail?”

Charlie shook her head as she pursed her lips. “I couldn’t lie to the police and I couldn’t forgive him for asking me to do that.”

“Well whatever happens, I really hope you two sort things out,” Ruby smiled weakly. “You’ve only been married 3 weeks.”

“Embarrassing, isn’t it?” Charlie questioned. “Maybe Brax was right. He never wanted marriage. He always said marriage wrecks things and look whats happened.”

“This isn’t really because you got married,” Ruby said. “This would have happened whenever Heath turned up.”

“I guess,” Charlie sighed as she rubbed her forehead. “Maybe in a couple of days I’ll talk to Brax. But just not right now.”

“When is he supposed to meet this guy?” Ruby questioned.

“Saturday I think,” Charlie answered. “So like I say, I’ll talk to him in a few days, so probably Friday. Jacob will be away for Ash’s birthday, so if you would watch the girls for an hour or two and give me Brax time to talk it would be good.”

“Yeah that’ll be no problem,” Ruby smiled. “But, I should get back home now, hopefully before Xavier. He doesn’t like me driving anymore,” Ruby rolled her eyes as she spoke. “But I guess he just has mines and Grace’s best interest at heart.”

“Grace?” Charlie questioned.

“Oh yeah, we decided on it this morning.” Ruby smiled as she rubbed her stomach. “Do you like it?”

“I love it,” Charlie grinned. “Little Grace.” Charlie rubbed Ruby’s stomach as she spoke.

“Good,” Ruby smiled as she stood up. “Because we want grandma to like your name don’t we Grace, hmm.” Ruby cooed as she looked down to her stomach. Charlie smiled as she stood to her feet and gave her daughter a hug. “See you later,” Ruby smiled before she turned to face her siblings, Jacob and Riley still kicking the soccer ball around, and Paige still happily playing on the slide. “Bye kiddies.” Ruby waved over to her siblings.

“Bye Ruby.” Paige waved from the top of the slide before she slid down it and ran off back to the stairs to have yet another go.

“Bye.” Jacob and Riley said, not even looking over to her, because they were enjoying their game too much.

“Cya sweetie.” Charlie smiled before Ruby walked off. Charlie exhaled lightly before she took her mobile out of her pocket and scrolled down to Brax’s name. She sat back down on the bench before hovering her finger over the call button. She shook her head before putting her phone down on the bench and looking back up to her kids and watched them as they played.

Brax was sitting on the floor in the middle of the living room, Milo sitting by him, resting his head off of Brax’s leg. “Ah buddy what am I doing?” Brax questioned as he rubbed Milo’s head. “Can’t you tell me what the right thing to do is?” Milo tilted his head as he looked up to Brax.

“Hey, mate, you ready to go in?” Heath asked as he walked into the living room, zipping up his hoodie.

Brax took a deep breath as he stood to his feet. “I dunno man.”

“Brax, we need to this,” Heath said. “It’s the only way.”

“Well it’s not, is it?” Brax questioned. “We can take Ruby’s offer.”

Heath shook his head. “We can’t risk it. If Jett finds out about all the money she has....” Heath trailed off as he shook his head. “This is the safest way for Buckton and your kiddies and little rock-star and her bub.”

Brax rubbed his chin as he exhaled. “Let’s go then.” Brax gestured for Heath to leave the room and he followed him out in the darkness of the night. They got into his car and Brax took a deep breath as he turned the key in the ignition and pulled the car out of the drive way and began the 10 minute drive into the bay. Brax and Heath were silent all the way into the bay and Brax parked the car on a side street, just around the corner from the surf-club, as they’d decided parking outside would be too risky. He took a deep breath before getting out the car, and following Heath up to the surf club. He pulled his keys out of his pocket and slyly looked to his left then his right in case anyone was about.

“What you doing?” Heath shouted.

“Shut up,” Brax whispered. “We need to make sure no one is watching us.”

“It’s 2 in the morning. Who’s going to be around?” Heath laughed.

“I don’t know,” Brax shook his head. “People.”

“Just get inside.” Heath sighed as he opened the door and walked into the surf club. Brax exhaled as he followed his brother in and walked up the stairs and into his restaurant. He looked around the place, and for the first time, had doubts at burning his place down. He’d worked hard to keep it doing business, and never gave up on the place, and had managed to turn it into a well profitable business. He walked over to the balcony and remembered all the special dates he’d had with Charlie, all the times the kids were running around in the summer, and enjoying pizza and ice-creams. The time when Riley kept dipping her finger into Brax’s beer, and licking up the froth and the time Jacob was convinced that the oysters were giant boogers. “Oi what you doing?” Heath asked as he pulled the can of petrol from the office, where he had hid it earlier that day.

“Just remembering some good times in here.” Brax choked back.

“Don’t be such a woman.” Heath laughed as he took the lid off the can of petrol and was about to pour some on the floor.

“What the hell are you doing?” Brax yelled as he lunged forward and grabbed the can from him.

“Going to light this place up,” Heath laughed. “We’re not going to do that without petrol are we?”

“We need to make this look like an accident,” Brax sighed. “We need to at least start it in the kitchen.” Brax said as he walked into the kitchen, with Heath following. Brax put the can down before he once again remembered a date he had with Charlie, back before he even knew about her being pregnant with Jacob, when they made pizza together. He remembers her laughing a lot; he loved her laugh, and her eyes. Her laugh and her eyes were definitely his favourite things about her.

“You going to stand there and day dream all night or you going to help?” Brax looked up to see Heath had poured some petrol over one of the cookers. “Here I’ll let you do the honours.” Heath smirked as he threw the box of matches over to Brax. Brax looked down at the box in his hand and exhaled lightly before opening the box and lifting out a match.

Archived