Forever Yours

Guest Danni02

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 161

“You know you could come and stay with me,” Bianca said as she handed Charlie the cup of coffee and sat down on the couch. “I don’t mind.”

“There’s not enough room,” Charlie exhaled. “And besides the kids enjoyed staying in the hotel. Riley and Paige thought they’d wake up back in Hawaii.” Charlie laughed.

“That’s cute,” Bianca smiled. “But do they know what’s going with you and Brax?”

“No they don’t,” Charlie said before she took a drink of her coffee. “Hopefully it doesn’t come to me having to say anything.”

“So, you will go back to him?” Bianca questioned.

“Well it all depends on what he does with the restaurant, but, yeah, I mean, I don’t want to leave him.” Charlie said. “I love him more than anything.”

“I know you do,” Bianca smiled lightly. “Look, why don’t you come with us on tomorrow?” Bianca suggested. “I’m sure the girls would love to come to the zoo and you can get away from here for a bit.”

Charlie pursed her lips together, considering it. “I’m not sure. I said I would go and talk to Brax on Friday.”

“Ah so he’s expecting you.” Bianca said.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “He doesn’t know yet, I haven’t told him I want to talk to him. I just mentioned it to Ruby. She said she would watch the girls.”

“Ah I see,” Bianca nodded lightly. “So, do you really think he would burn the restaurant down?”

“Well I didn’t even think the idea would ever enter his mind,” Charlie answered. “So, clearly he could do it if he thought about it.”

“I don’t think he’ll do it,” Bianca shook her head. “That place means way too much to him, and you’ve had so many dates and stuff there. I’m sure it reminds him too much of a great life with you.”

“Well we’ll just have to wait and see what happens,” Charlie spoke softly. “You know it just feels like everything is against us. We can't catch a break. It’s just one thing after the other and I’m sick of this sort of life. I just want to be happy with my husband for more than 5 minutes.”

“You deserve some happiness, God knows that,” Bianca said. “And it’ll come. It has too.”

“You think so?” Charlie questioned. “Maybe the world is just trying to tell us we’ll never get a happy ever after and that something is always going to go wrong with us.”

“Well it wouldn’t be life if you didn’t have troubles.” Bianca said.

“Yeah but there are troubles, then there’s me and Brax,” Charlie sighed. “I didn’t think life would be this hard.”

“You’ve had a tough draw,” Bianca said. “But look at what you’ve all overcome thus far. You guys are strong, and you’ll get passed this too.”

“I don’t know,” Charlie shook her head. “This is different. This is Brax playing with the law. It’s not like the before.” Charlie sighed lightly as her mobile beeped in her pocket. She pulled her phone out to see she had a message from Brax. Hey babe, hope everything is okay with you and the kids. Can I see the kids tomorrow? Would love to see you and chat with you too. Please just talk to me. I love you so much. Xxx. “Brax wants to see the kids tomorrow.” Charlie said as she looked up to Bianca. “I guess I can’t stop him.”

“Do you want us to hold back the zoo a bit?” Bianca questioned. “Let him see Jacob too?”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “He can see the girls tomorrow and he can see Jacob another time. He’s really looking forward to going to the zoo, and don’t want to change the plans now.”

“Okay.” Bianca smiled lightly as Ash and Jacob ran over to them, leaving the girls playing across the room.

“Hey Charlie,” Ash smiled as he spoke quietly. “It my birthday tomorrow.”

“Yeah, you’re going to be seven?” Charlie questioned and Ash nodded.

“July 21st my birthday,” Ash said. “Which is tomorrow.”

“Wow, it’s close,” Charlie smiled. “You getting excited?”

“Uh-huh,” Ash nodded. “We are going to the zoo and to get some McDonalds. Just me and my mummy and Bella and Jacob. He is my bestest friend.”

“Aww wow it sounds like so much fun.” Charlie smiled as she ruffled his hair.

“It will be the best.” Ash smiled.

“Mummy when is my birthday?” Jacob questioned.

“You know when your birthday is.” Charlie answered as she looked down to her son.

“Yeah but when is October 12th?” Jacob asked. “Is it long yet?”

“Uhm...3 more months.” Charlie said as she rubbed her forehead.

“Hmm it’s long,” Jacob sighed. “Bee-Bee can we have some biscuits?”

“Sure,” Bianca smiled. “Just the one each and take one for the girls too.” Bianca said as the boys had already begun running over to the kitchen.

“So, mummy hmm?” Charlie said as she looked back round to Bianca. “When did that start?”

“A few days ago,” Bianca answered. “He called me mum out of the blue and I told him I was Bee or Bianca but he said he missed saying mummy and because I was looking after him and doing everything a mummy does that I should be called mummy. I don’t really know what to do with it, so, I guess I’m mummy.”

“Well you are raising him as your son,” Charlie said. “It’s just like Jacob calling Brax dad.”

“Yeah, I guess it is,” Bianca said as she looked over to Ash who was handing Bella and Paige a biscuit, a huge smile forming on her face. “I love him so much. He is my son. I should be proud that he wants to call me mummy.”

“He is a great kid.” Charlie smiled as they both sat and watched the boys saying something that had all the girls in fits of laughter.

Brax and Milo walked back into the house after being out for a walk, to see Heath in the kitchen, nursing a beer. Milo ran over to the bowls and took a drink of water as Brax sat down at the table, opposite Heath. “Jett called.” Heath said as he put the beer bottle down on the table.

“Oh yeah?” Brax questioned. “What did he want?”

“Changed the meeting from Saturday until tomorrow.” Heath exhaled. “So we better find $250,000 fast. We can’t even show him any proof it would be coming now since you failed to burn the restaurant down eh.” Heath said, somewhat angry at his brother.

“Don’t get angry at me,” Brax raised his voice. “You have no idea how much me letting you stay here has mucked things up for me and Charlie.”

“Charlie, Charlie, Charlie,” Heath sighed. “She’s all you care about now.”

“She is my wife, the mother of my children and the love of my life.” Brax seethed. “Don’t mock her or the way I feel about her.”

Heath smirked. “Okay sissy boy, what’s your plan?”

“You want me to help you then you stop talking to me like that for a start,” Brax spat. “You don’t deserve my help, and you know what, I’m not doing this for you. I’m doing it to keep Charlie, Ruby, Xavier and my kids safe from Jett.”

“Yeah yeah whatever,” Heath exhaled. “What are you going to do?”

“I’m going to need to ask Ruby for the money.” Brax sighed. “I didn’t want too, and it’s not fair on her having to spend her money on helping some idiot like you, but I can’t think of any other way.”

“Apart from burning your restaurant down?” Heath said.

“I can’t,” Brax shook his head. “There are too many good memories. It’s where the majority of our money comes from. I can’t do it.”

“It’s just a restaurant,” Heath sighed. “I’m your brother and I need your help, you can’t even give it up for me?”

“Maybe if you’d made something of yourself instead of wasting your life on drugs and robbery and jail you’d understand.” Brax spat. “I worked hard to keep that restaurant from closing and now it’s making us a lot of money, but that wasn’t always the case. I am proud of what I’ve achieved and how I’ve turned my life around and I’m not letting go of that place for anyone. Now, I’m offering you the money and I don’t think you are in any sort of position to turn it down.” Brax raised his voice. “So, I’m telling you its Ruby’s money, or I can’t help you at all.”

Heath exhaled lightly as he rubbed his head. “Okay, Ruby’s money it is.”

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone. Hope this one is okay..... :unsure:

Chapter 162

Charlie was sitting on the beach, watching as Paige and Riley built sandcastles. She agreed to meet Brax here at 2pm so he could see the girls and they could talk, but she’d went out a lot earlier, as it was just after 10am, to let the girls play on the beach. “Mummy why we no at the zoo?” Riley questioned as she frowned up at her mother.

“Because Jacob has gone with Ash for his birthday,” Charlie answered. “So he was a birthday guest.”

“But we knows Ash too,” Riley sighed. “How we no asked?”

“Because he didn’t want to ask you.” Charlie answered.

“It no fair,” Paige shook her head. “He go but we don’t.”

“Yeah,” Riley agreed. “It no fair mummy.”

“Well how about one day soon, mummy will take you girls to the zoo for a girls day out?” Charlie said and the girls’ eyes widened.

“Yeah,” Paige nodded her head. “That’s cool.”

“And we get McDomals?” Riley questioned. “Cos Jacob is.”

“Yes,” Charlie laughed at her daughter’s mispronunciation of McDonalds. “McDonalds too.”

“Yeah,” Paige smiled. “It be a good day.”

“Yup,” Riley agreed. “Will we see daddy today?”

“Yeah you’ll be seeing him later.” Charlie answered.

“Is we going home?” Paige asked as she crawled closer to her mother and placed her hands onto Charlie’s leg.

“I’m not sure,” Charlie shook her head. “We might stay in the hotel for a little longer.”

“I wish daddy was too,” Riley sighed. “We be on our aventure togethers.”

“Yeah,” Paige nodded. “And Milo.”

“Milo is crazy.” Riley giggled.

“He sure is.” Charlie smiled as she watched her girls as they went back to making their sandcastles. She exhaled lightly as she could hear the sounds of fire engines in the distance and turned her head down the beach, and into the direction of the surf club. Her eyes widened as she saw the thick black smoke cloud rising above the building. He’d done it. Charlie thought as she stood up and took a few steps down the beach. She shook her head in shock, surprised that Brax had actually gone through with his plan. Charlie muttered under her breath before looking down to her girls, she pursed her lips together, wondering if indeed they were going to be seeing their daddy today at all.

Ruby had visited the bank, and had been able to get the money. Handing the briefcase full of cash to Heath, she screwed her face up, disgusted at the man standing before her. “Thanks little rock-star,” Heath smirked. “I’m sure you won’t miss this. Plenty more where that came from I bet.”

“Yeah, but thanks to you it’s less money there for my child and Xavier and me.”

“Chillax, you’re loaded. This is hardly going to dent your bank account.” Heath laughed.

“Thank you so much, Ruby,” Brax said. “You really don’t have any idea how much I appreciate you helping. And I’ll pay you back, I promise. It might take a while, but I’ll get you your money back.”

“It’s fine,” Ruby shook her head. “I don’t want it back. At least not from you. You owe me nothing. Heath is the one with the debt.” Ruby exhaled as she pushed the button on her car keys, unlocking the door.

“Good luck if you think I am giving any of this back to you,” Heath laughed. “You must be off your head.”

Ruby shook her head. “Just get out of our lives then,” Ruby spat before she opened her car door. “See you later Brax.” Ruby said before she got into the car and drove away, not wanting to be there when Jett turned up for the money.

“What time is this guy coming at?” Brax questioned as he looked up at Heath, who was into the briefcase, counting the money.

“Dunno, nothing to do with me now eh,” Heath laughed as he put the case of money in the car. “He’s your problem.”

“What?” Brax questioned, feeling slightly confused.

“5 and half years you left me to rot in jail,” Heath spat. “You never came to visit. Mum twice a month and Darcy once a month if I was lucky. When Case was in there with me it was pretty sweet, but after he died....” Heath shook his head. “My own brother didn’t care about me. I had nothing and you were too busy with Buckton and her spawn of Angelo and then making your own babies. You have everything and I have nothing.”

“Look, I’m sorry that I didn’t visit you,” Brax exhaled lightly. “But I had a life here. I had to get away from prison and the wrong side of the law.”

“Yeah sure you did,” Heath sniggered. “Well I’m going to leave you with nothing now.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Brax questioned.

“Don’t worry, Buckton and the kiddies are safe. I’m not that evil, but your restaurant?” Heath laughed. “Up in flames as we talk.”

“You’re kidding me right?” Brax laughed.

Heath shook his head. “Do I look like I am joking? The boys are still there for me when you are not.”

“So what’s burning down my restaurant going to achieve?” Brax questioned, still unsure as to whether Heath was being truthful or not.

“Lose you restaurant, get no money, can’t afford your big house, you and Charlie argue even more....brilliant. Makes you lose everything that you have worked for.”

“Why do you want me to lose everything?” Brax questioned. “I could have turned your life around. I gave you a job; I could have helped you so much.”

Heath once again sniggered. “I’m a river boy in here,” Heath hit his chest. “I’ll never turn from this life. You are the one who’s given us Braxton’s a bad name turning into some nappy changing, restaurant owning family man.”

“You’re crazy Heath,” Brax shook his head. “Now seriously, is my restaurant okay?”

“Like I said, it’s probably up in smoke by now,” Heath laughed. “Shame though, was a nice joint.”

Brax lunged forward and grabbed Heath’s hoodie by the collar, pinning him up against the car, a look of anger on his face. “You stupid stupid idiot,” Brax yelled. “How could you do that to me? I put a roof over your head, I lost my wife and kids standing by you....I got you the money you needed....or did you even need it? Is this Jett guy in with your plans to destroy my happiness and the life I worked so hard for?”

“Ah Jett is real,” Heath pushed Brax back and stepped to the side. “And he’ll be here any minute now, demanding money from you, and me? Well I’m on my way somewhere nice, because I’ve got a quarter million to my name now.” Heath laughed as he opened the car door, and went to get in, but Brax grabbed onto him, and pulled him back. Heath span around and scratched at Brax's face, before kneeing him hard in the stomach, so he fell to the ground, winded. “And you are a disgrace to the Braxton name, and are not my brother.” Heath spat before he got into Brax’s car and drove off, leaving Brax in the middle of nowhere, to face Jett on his own. As Brax stood back up to his feet, he pulled his mobile out of his pocket as he still tried to catch his breath. He looked to the signal bar, and sighed, seeing he didn’t have one. Just as he looked back up, he saw Jett pulling his car up, and he muttered a few curse words under his breath. What was he going to do now?

“Darryl,” Jett grinned as he got out of the car. “Where’s that’s brother of yours? Too scared to show up?” Jett laughed as he walked over Brax.

“He eh...” Brax shook his head as he put his hands on his hips. “He’s gone. He drove off with your money. I’m sorry.”

Jett laughed, not believing him. “Funny. Where is he?”

“I’m serious,” Brax said feeling nervous. “We had the money for you but he drove off with it. I don’t know where and I don’t expect to see him again.”

“Well you’re brothers stupidity has just given you a big problem,” Jett said smugly. “Cos I still need my money.”

“I can’t get you it,” Brax shook his head. “You need to go find Heath.”

Jett laughed. “Ah Darryl Darryl Darryl, no, no,” Jett shook his head. “Unfortunately your brother made this your problem and I’m sorry, but I just want my money. I don’t care who I get it from.”

“Can you just give me a few more days then?” Brax questioned, close to tears as realisation hit him. His restaurant was more than likely going up in smoke as he spoke, and his brother has just drove off with $250,000, leaving the debt for him to fix.

“Make it $400,000 and yeah, I wait. Give me the money right now and its $250,000.”

“I can’t give you any more money,” Brax said as he tried not to sound like he was on the brink of tears. “But please a few days and I’ll get some money to you.”

Jett laughed as he took a step forward and pulled something - although Brax couldn’t quiet see what - from the back of his pants. “Do you take me for a mug?” Jett seethed. “I’ve changed my mind. This wasn’t the deal me and Heath made,” Jett shook his head. “I want the money and I want it now.”

“It wasn’t what I thought me and Heath had planned either, believe me,” Brax said. “But he’s took the money and I can’t just magic more up right this second. You need to give me some time.”

Jett laughed as he stepped forward as it was then that Brax saw he was holding a knife in his hand. “You don’t have my money, then that’s a problem for you.” Jett gave Brax a smirk and Brax took a few steps back as he held his hands out.

“Now don’t do anything stupid.” Brax said fearing for his safety.

“I think your brother gets the gold medal there.” Jett said before lunging forward. Brax felt the sharp piercing pain sear through his body as his hands went to his wound. He tried to scream out but it he was pure silent as he felt the blood seeping through his hands. He fell to his knees and he watched Jett walking back over to his car. He tried to shout to him to help, but it was no use. No sound came out of his mouth and the guy that just stabbed him was hardly going to stay back and help him, was he? Brax tried to crawl forward as the car speed off, trying to see the colour, what the number plate read, anything, but his vision was blurring, as he stopped on the dirt track, the blood seemingly falling faster and faster from his wound. With one big effort he pulled his phone from his pocket, to see once again, he had no signal. Looking down at the screen, he saw his girls and Jacob smiling back up at him. Placing a soft kiss on the screen, he collapsed to the ground as everything went black.

Thanks everyone. Hope this one is okay. :unsure:

Chapter 163

Charlie was back at the house, in the twins’ bedroom, collecting more clothes. After seeing that Brax had burnt down the restaurant, she knew she was going be staying away from home a little longer than first planned. As she was folding up one of Paige’s dresses, Ruby walked into the bedroom, slightly startling Charlie. “Rubes” Charlie jumped slightly. “I didn’t think anyone was home.”

“I just arrived back,” Ruby answered as she walked over to Charlie. “I see Milo missed the twins,” Ruby laughed lightly. “He’s going crazy with them down there.”

“Yeah, they missed him too.” Charlie sighed lightly as she put the dress into the bag.

“So, why do you need more clothes?” Ruby questioned. “I thought you were going to talk to Brax today?”

“Yeah, well plans change,” Charlie sighed. “Now he’s burned his restaurant down I don’t see us talking for a while.”

“He what?” Ruby questioned. “I think you’re mistaken. Brax didn’t burn down the restaurant.” Ruby shook her head, confused as to how Charlie had come to this conclusion.

“He did, I was on the beach and I saw the smoke.”

“What?” Ruby gasped. “Mum, I just met Brax and Heath out at Haymers point. I gave Heath my money so he could wipe the debt and Brax didn’t need to lose his restaurant.”

“Then how...” Charlie scratched the side of head. “How is the restaurant on fire?”

“I don’t know,” Ruby shook her head. “But as I say Brax is out at Haymers point waiting to meet Jett, any minute now.” Ruby said as she looked down at her watch.

“Then something isn’t right,” Charlie shook her head, now feeling slightly panicked. “If Brax is out there then how come the restaurant is on fire and....” Charlie bit her lip. “Watch the girls for me.” Charlie said as she ran from the room and down the stairs with Ruby following, as fast as her 5 month pregnant stomach would let her.

“Mum, where are you going?” Ruby asked as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

“To see what’s going on,” Charlie answered. “Something clearly isn’t right.”

“Well be careful,” Ruby said, concerned for her mother. “And let me know as soon you know what’s happened okay?”

“I will,” Charlie said as she was already walking out of the house, and got into her car, and made her way out to Haymers point. Driving there, lot of different situations played through her mind. Had Brax burned the restaurant down so that they could get away, not having to deal with Jett at all? Had Heath and Brax double crossed Ruby so they could get even more money, with both the money from the insurance and Ruby’s money, or had the restaurant burning down simply been a huge coincidence and Brax was right now unaware that his business and everything he worked so hard for was going up in smoke. She exhaled lightly as she continued her drive out to see Brax, really hoping that there was a reasonable explanation for this, and Brax hadn’t made the biggest mistake in life, but not only causing himself to lose his restaurant, an achievement in his life that he was so proud of, but also, in the way he had handled this he’d would have caused himself to lose his family as well. As Charlie turned the corner, nothing could prepare her for what she was about to see. She could see a lone figure laying on the ground, and what looked like a pool of blood next to him. “Brax,” Charlie yelled out as she stopped her car and ran over to him. “Oh God, Brax,” Charlie’s voice broke as she spoke and already, a tear had rolled down her cheek. “Brax, baby, talk to me,” Charlie yelled frantically as she squeezed his hand, but there was no response. As she looked down to her husband, the colour had gone from his face. She’d never seen him looking so pale before. She moved her hand slightly up his hand, so she could feel for a pulse, and she let out a huge sigh of relief when she felt one, it was pretty weak, but the pulse was still there. “Brax,” Charlie put her hands at each side of his face, hoping he would wake, but it was no use, nothing she did would cause a reaction from him. Looking down at his wound, where the blood was still pouring out, she squeezed her hand against it as hard as could, trying to stop – or at least lessen – the flow. She moved her now blood covered hands up to Brax’s shirt and unbuttoned it before she pulled it from him, and tied it as tightly as she could around his chest, hoping to put pressure on the wound to stop the blood flow. She then took her light jacket from herself and did the same thing, tying it tightly around his chest. As tears rolled down her cheeks, she pulled her phone from her pocket, only confirming what deep down she knew she would find. She had no signal. Turning her head to the road, she saw no cars were passing. Running to her car she looked again in both directions but there were no signs of another car about to make an appearance, and she remembered that on her way there, she passed no cars, and there were none behind her. Knowing her only option was to get him to the hospital as quickly as she could; she opened the back door of her car, and fought for a second with the first car seat, getting the buckle on the seatbelt stuck in a part of the car seat. She yelled out some curse words before finally pulling it out, and throwing it into the boot, she did the same with the second car seat, and Jacob’s booster seat, before running back down to Brax, wondering how exactly she was going to lift him to the car. She wiped her blood covered hand over her forehead, staining it with blood, but Charlie didn’t care. All she cared about was her husband, as there was no way that she would let him die. For her it wasn’t an option. She’d get Brax to the hospital on time, and he would be okay. She had to believe that, as thinking anything else was too hard for her to take. She looked down to Brax, before looking to her car, and then back at Brax. Adrenaline had to get her through this now. She’d read so many times about how adrenaline kicked in these sort of situations and people were able to lift things much bigger and heavier than themselves. She knelt down before him, and placed a soft kiss on his forehead. “I’m so sorry baby, I’ll try not to hurt you too much, but you need to be okay. You have to be okay,” Charlie cried as she placed yet another kiss onto his forehead, before gripping her hands in his underarm, and using all her strength, she dragged him over to the car. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry and I love you so much. And you can’t leave us now, you’re not allowed. I’m not letting you die on me,” Charlie rested Brax against the car before she got into the back of it, and once again placed her hands in his underarm and let out a scream as she used all her strength to lift Brax up and pull him into the car. “I’ll be as careful as I can, I promise,” Charlie spoke between the tears before placing yet another kiss on his forehead, before leaning forward and closing the door, and climbing through to the front, and driving as quickly, but as carefully as she could to the hospital, hoping and praying that her husband was going to be alright.

Thank you everyone. :wub:

Chapter 164

Charlie was sitting in the hospital, waiting on news on Brax. His blood still on her forehead, still on her hands. She was frantic with worry for her husband, and the fact she was sitting watching the clock probably made it all a whole lot worse. It felt like time was stuck on 11.05 am. As she looked down to her wedding band, engagement ring and the promise ring, she saw that they were stained with her husband’s blood, but she didn’t want to leave the waiting area because most likely, that’s when the surgeon would come out to talk with Charlie. “Hey, Charlie.” Sid spoke softly as he stood before Charlie.

“Sid,” Charlie said. “Is he...what’s.....tell me he’s okay?” Charlie’s voice was close to breaking once again.

“I don’t know how he is,” Sid shook his head as he took a seat next to Charlie. “All I know is the same as you, he’s in surgery.”

“Well get back in there and be with him.” Charlie raised her voice.

“I’m not a surgeon, Charlie,” Sid said as he put his hand comfortingly on his shoulder. “But he’s in good hands.”

“So you know nothing at all?” Charlie questioned as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“All I know is he is in surgery and...” Sid pursed his lips together, unsure as to whether he should be telling Charlie this or not. She was a wreck as it was, so this kind of news was only going to make her worse.

“And?” Charlie questioned. “Tell me what is wrong with my husband. I have a right to know.”

Sid exhaled lightly. “He’s lost a lot of blood. Luckily the knife missed the artery in his kidney, so it could have been worse, but they are still trying to stabilise him.”

“So what...is his kidney damaged badly? Can he live with the damage or?” Charlie questioned as she stared directly out in front of her, not looking at Sid as he spoke to her.

“I can’t give you a straight answer,” Sid shook his head. “I wish I could but we just need to wait and see what happens.”

“God why are they taking so long?” Charlie questioned. “It feels like he’s been in there for hours.”

Sid looked down at his watch. “20 minutes,” Sid answered. “Look, Charlie, I really would like to check you over, make sure you’re okay.”

“I’m fine,” Charlie said. “Brax was the one who got stabbed. You should be worried about him.” Charlie spat, as she pulled herself away from Sid.

“Look, I just want to check you over for shock. Finding your husband like that wouldn’t exactly have been a nice experience.”

“I’m not in shock,” Charlie shouted. “Apart from feeling sick with worry for my husband, I’m fine.”

“Okay, well do you want to go and wash his blood from you, we can get you a top to wear so you don’t need to wear a blood cover t-shirt.”

“I don’t care that I have blood on my t-shirt, I don’t care that I have blood on my hands. All I care about is Brax,” Sid could hear the desperation in Charlie’s voice. He wanted so badly to be able to give her a better answer, but right now it just wasn’t possible. “He has to be okay because I can’t live without him. I need him in my life and the kids need their father. How am I supposed to tell the kids if he.....if he di....I couldn’t.” Charlie shook her head as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Mum,” Ruby walked quickly down the corridor. “How is he?”

“I don’t know,” Charlie cried as she fell into Ruby’s arms. “He has to be okay.”

“Hey, he is a Braxton,” Ruby said as she rubbed her mother’s back. “Braxton’s are made of tuff stuff.”

Charlie wiped her eyes as she pulled back. “You didn’t bring the girls, did you?”

“No, no,” Ruby shook her head, knowing now wouldn’t be the time to bring the girls to the hospital. “The girls are with Leah and Xavier’s gone down to the surf club to talk with the police and fireman about the fire at the restaurant.”

“I don’t suppose they know anything about how it got started?” Charlie questioned.

“Well, John said that as he went to open up the surf club he saw a couple of the river boys running from the place,” Ruby spoke tentatively as she took a seat next to her mother. “So it’s looking like it was some of the river boys.”

Charlie pursed her lips together as another tear rolled down her cheek. “I just can’t make sense of any of this,” Charlie said. “Where Jett and Heath were when I got there, how Brax ended up getting stabbed, who set fire to the restaurant and why? I don’t get any of it.” Charlie shook her head.

“Hey, don’t worry yourself about trying to make sense of this right now. We’ll know what happened soon enough. You just need to think about Brax right now,” Ruby rubbed Charlie’s arm lightly. “Can you see how it’s going for him?” Ruby questioned as she looked up to Sid. Sid gave a light nod of the head before he walked back down the corridor and out of sight. “You want to go and wash up? Can’t feel nice with blood over you,” Ruby said as she tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear. “Get you out of this t-shirt?”

“I don’t have another t-shirt to wear.” Charlie answered quietly.

“You can wear my hoodie,” Ruby smiled lightly at her mother before taking off the pale blue hoodie. “Excuse that it’s a maternity one, and will probably hang off you, but it’s something.”

“What if you get cold?” Charlie questioned, seeing that Ruby only had a singlet on underneath.

“In this hospital?” Ruby gave a small laugh. “More likely that you’ll be too warm.”

“Thanks,” Charlie smiled lightly as she took the hoodie into her hand. “And if the surgeon comes out -”

“I’ll come and get you right away.” Ruby said and Charlie smiled in thanks at her daughter before walking down to the restroom. She lay the hoodie down next to one of the sinks and took off her promise ring, engagement ring and wedding band and laid them down. She let the hot water run, and she applied a decent amount of the soap to her hands, scrubbing hard, so the now dried blood would fall away. As she scrubbed at her hands, her memory allowed herself to wander back to her wedding day, just over 3 weeks before hand. The look of pure love in Brax’s face as he proposed, the look of excitement in his eyes as Charlie agreed to marry him right there and then. She’d never forget the look that Brax gave her as she was walking down aisle, about to become Mrs Braxton. A look of pure love on his face, the lone tear that escaped his eye. Their perfect vows to each other. She remembered it all, and only hoped that until death do us part, wasn’t going to happen this quickly. She remembered the day the twins were born, and how proud and besotted Brax looked as he held Paige in his arms, the few minutes of rest Charlie had with Brax and her new baby daughter before she had to push again for Riley. Her little daddy’s girl. Of course everyone would be crushed if Brax didn’t make it through this, but Brax and Riley had a special bond, and Charlie would hate to see it over. She remembered how Brax had tried so hard to win Jacob over in the beginnings of them getting back together. He wouldn’t give up no matter how much Jacob protested, but his persistence paid off, because now you’d think that Brax and Jacob were biological father and son, they were so close. As Charlie picked her wedding band to wipe off the blood, she took a deep breath. They’d vowed to spend the rest of their lives together, and Charlie wasn’t going to let Brax die when he just 35 years old, before they’d been married for even a month. She placed her wedding band back on her finger before picking up her engagement ring and cleaning the blood from it. Finally, she picked up her promise ring, the ring Brax had given her after the birth of the girls, the ring that brought so much arguing for the couple over the promise of marriage, but today as she cleaned the blood from it, she knew that ring symbolised what she had today. She was married to the love of her life, and they were raising 3 amazing kids together. And that’s why this ring was her favourite. It symbolised the life she had with Brax, the life that she wasn’t giving up on, and could only hope that Brax was fighting hard to stay alive in that operating room. She took another deep breath as she cupped her hands under the tap, and collected the water before bringing her face down and wiping it, scrubbing hard over her forehead where she had more of Brax’s blood. Reaching out to the side she pulled some paper towels and wiped her face dry, before throwing it into the waste bin. She looked down to her top that was stained with her husband’s blood and pulled it from her body, and threw it down into the bin. She picked up Ruby’s hoodie and put it on, hugging at the warmth. She was far from cold, but it brought her some comfort. She walked out of the washroom and back down the corridor to see Ruby had gotten her a coffee. “Here you go.” Ruby said softly as she handed her the cup, placing her hand on her arm in comfort.

“Thanks,” Charlie said as she took the cup from daughter and exhaled lightly hoping that very soon someone would come with good news on Brax.

Thanks everyone. Hope this one is okay. :unsure:

Chapter 165

Ruby walked down the corridor and took her seat next to Charlie. “Roast beef or chicken?” Ruby questioned as she looked down to the sandwiches which she had bought from the canteen.

“I told you I didn’t want anything.” Charlie answered.

“You need to eat some lunch,” Ruby said. “C’mon, roast beef or chicken.”

Charlie sighed lightly. “Chicken.” Charlie answered and Ruby passed her the sandwich. She opened it up and unenthusiastically took a bite. She didn’t feel like eating, all she cared about was Brax, but she did need to stay strong for him, so maybe it was best that she did eat something.

“They’ve been a while,” Ruby sighed, worryingly. “Almost two hours now.”

“So what are you trying to say?” Charlie questioned. “That they’ve been too long? That if he was going to be okay they would have been out and told us by now?”

“No no,” Ruby shook her head. “I’m just saying it’s a long stressful wait.”

“You can go home and rest if you want,” Charlie answered. “Probably best not to get stressed out and worked up in your condition.” Charlie looked down to Ruby’s stomach as she spoke.

“Hey, I’m in the right place if anything was to happen,” Ruby said. “And besides, I’m not leaving your side.”

“Thanks.” Charlie smiled gratefully at her eldest daughter.

“Oh I’ve just thought,” Ruby covered her mouth momentarily. “Do you want me to call Bianca and let her know what happened so she can get Jacob home?”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “He’s really been looking forward to this day and I don’t want to ruin Ash’s birthday.”

“But what if....” Ruby trailed off not really wanting to say it in front of Charlie. “What if he should be here?”

Charlie shook her head as she took a deep breath. “Brax is going to be fine. You’ll see, come tomorrow we will all be in his hospital room, taking and laughing.....he’s going to be okay.” Of course Charlie didn’t know what was going to happen over the next few hours but she had to hope. She had to believe that he would be okay.

“Mrs Braxton?” Charlie heard the voice of the surgeon and she shot up in the chair, standing tall over the small blonde haired lady who was standing before her.

“Please tell me he is okay, please.” Charlie’s voice was close to breaking as she spoke.

“He’s in a critical condition,” The surgeon spoke softly. “We managed to stop the bleeding and repair the damaged tissue; however, we are still unsure if he will wake up.”

Charlie pursed her lips together and felt Ruby’s hand rubbing her back. “Can I eh.....can I see him yet?”

“Yes,” The surgeon nodded as she led Charlie down the corridor and around the corner, stopping outside the 3rd room on the left. She gave Charlie a sympathetic smile as she rubbed her arm, before Charlie took a deep breath and pushed down on the door handle and walked into the room. A tear rolled down her cheek as she saw the tubes coming from his mouth helping him breathe. He looked so still and peaceful.

“Brax,” Charlie’s voice broke as she walked into the room and over to the bed, gently stroking his forehead. “You big idiot,” Charlie cried. “How did you end up here? This isn’t what you were supposed to be doing today. You should have been with the girls. You should have been talking with me as well. So, what’s this all about?” Charlie sniffed back as she hit his shoulder. “What are you doing lying in here? You silly man. This isn’t what was supposed to happen today,” Charlie exhaled as she took a seat on the chair next to the bed. “I took the girls to the beach this morning,” Charlie said as she sniffed back. “It was cold, but they wanted to build sandcastles. Riley told me she wants you to take her boogie boarding again, like in Hawaii. She asked if it was okay with me even though she’s not 4 yet,” Charlie gave a small laugh. “But she can swim already. She’s a pretty awesome 3-year-old. She’s not scared to try anything,” Charlie took Brax’s hand in hers, squeezing it tightly. “So first off you need to be okay so you can take Riley out on the boogie board. Then there’s Paige. She said she’d go in the sea if daddy held her tight. And Jacob, he….he needs you Brax. A little boy always needs quality time with his father. He can’t lose you. He’s already lost one father, he can’t lose a second. It’s not fair for him. He’s only 6. And besides your adopting him – hopefully – so you need to be alive to do that.” Charlie jumped slightly as there was a knock at the door and she turned her head to see Ruby walking into the room. She smiled lightly at her daughter before looking back around to Brax.

“If you want me to leave you alone I can.” Ruby said as she walked over and stood behind Charlie, placing a hand of comfort on her shoulder.

“I want you to stay with me,” Charlie answered quietly, not looking up at Ruby but keeping her eyes on her husband. “It’s funny how nothing that was going on between us seems to matter anymore,” Charlie shook her head. “All I care about is him being okay. I don’t care about why we were arguing or what he might have done. I just want him to be okay so we can just go back to what we had.”

“You can get it back,” Ruby said as she sat down on the second chair that was in the room. “And you and Brax and the kids, although you’ve just been on one, you should take a holiday, spend lots of precious family time together.”

Charlie exhaled lightly. “What if he dies thinking I hated him,” Charlie pursed her lips together as yet another tear escaped her eye. “How am I supposed to live with that?”

“He knows how much you love him. He knows that you were just mad and you had every right to be. But you were all set to talk to him today, and if you really hated him that much then you wouldn’t agree to talk with him, would you?”

“But I’m going to know,” Charlie said. “He could die mid-fight and I’m going to regret walking out on him for the rest of my life. Thinking that if I just stayed at home and talked things over with him….maybe things would have went differently and he’d still be fine now.” Charlie kissed his hand as tears continued to roll down her cheeks.

“Hey, don’t start the blame game,” Ruby shook her head. “This wasn’t your fault. It was this Jett guy’s fault. And Heath. If it wasn’t for Heath none of this would have happened.”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she kept her gaze on her husband. “He’s going to be okay though, right? We have to believe that?”

“I don’t know the answer,” Ruby shook her head. “But the doctors have done all they can, and Brax, well, he’s strong. He won’t give up without a good fight.” Ruby was trying to sound upbeat, but she was unsure on the odds of Brax pulling through.

“I can’t lose him,” Charlie cried. “How am I supposed to live without him? And the kids, they need him. We all need him.”

“I know,” Ruby nodded as she squeezed Charlie’s arm in support. “But we don’t know what’s going to happen yet so we just need to stay positive, yeah?”

“I’ve been trying but then I have these doubts,” Charlie wiped the tears from her eyes. “He looks so peaceful,” Charlie said quietly as she once again gently rubbed his forehead. “Hmm, you just enjoying some peace. Is that what this is?” Charlie sniffed back. “Because if that’s all it is, I’ll let you have that. You can have that today, but come tomorrow, you need to wake up. Please Brax. Please wake up,” Charlie cried as she took hold of his hand again. Ruby exhaled lightly, as a tear fell from her cheek. She was crying for her stepdad, of course she wanted him to be okay, but mostly she was crying for her mother. She hated to see her like this and only hoped that Brax would indeed wake up.

Thank you everyone. :wub: Hope this one is okay.

Chapter 166

Charlie wrapped her hand around the coffee cup, as she sat at the dining table with Bianca and Leah. The twins had been put to bed long ago, courtesy of Leah, and Ruby had taken a tired but still very excited about his day Jacob up to go to bed. Bianca had found out what had happened to Brax when she got back to the bay, and took Ash and Bella home and April came around to babysit, so Bianca could take Jacob home and talk to Charlie. “I can’t believe you didn’t call me. I could have brought Jacob home a lot sooner.”

Charlie shook her head as she remained looking down to the floor. “I eh…I didn’t want to ruin Ash’s birthday. Or Jacob’s day. He was really looking forward to it and I didn’t want to spoil it.”

“I know, but we could have easily gone another time.” Bianca answered.

“It’s fine,” Charlie forced a smile as she looked up to her friends. “I hope he behaved.”

“Of course. He always does. It was little Bella giving me a hard time.” Bianca sighed. “Had to put her on the naughty spot twice. I tell you she didn’t deserve to be at the zoo.”

“You put her on the naughty spot at the zoo?” Leah laughed lightly.

“She has to learn,” Bianca sighed. “So yeah I did. And thank you so much for Ash’s present. He loves it.” Bianca said as she glanced at Charlie.

“Brax said he would,” Charlie smiled lightly. “And you’re welcome.”

“So, eh….how was Brax when you left the hospital?” Leah questioned. She’d wanted to ask Charlie as soon as she arrived back at the house, but she could see that Charlie clearly didn’t want to talk about it, but now with Bianca there, she thought they could both be support and get something out of her.

“I don’t know,” Charlie shook her head. “He eh….he’s in a coma. I think the surgery went okay. I mean they managed to stop the bleeding and repair the tissue, but…” Charlie trailed off as she felt herself welling up. “They don’t know if he will wake up.”

“He is strong,” Leah gave Charlie a comforting smile. “He won’t give up easily."

“Can we just not talk about it?” Charlie questioned. “I’ve been out of my mind all day at the hospital. I just want home to be a place where I can relax and try to keep my mind occupied on other things.”

“Sure,” Leah nodded. “Do you want us to hang around longer or do you want us to leave you too it?” Leah questioned.

“Don’t you need to get home for VJ?” Charlie questioned.

“He’ll be fine. He’s almost 17 and he’s picked up my talents in the kitchen so I’m sure he will have rustled himself up something.” Leah smiled.

“A 17-year-old boy gets left alone and you think he’ll cook?” Bianca questioned. “More like he’ll have raided the biscuit, chips and soda cupboard.”

“Well as long as he eats something, I guess.” Leah sighed.

“Nah, Veej isn’t a bad kid. He’ll be sensible.” Charlie said quietly. “God, how long has it been since the 3 of us has been able to chat together?” Charlie questioned.

“Too long,” Bianca answered. “Well need to make more of an effort in the future.”

“Well I could really do with a rather large glass of wine after the day I've had. Problem is due to Brax’s past we don’t have alcohol in the house.” Charlie exhaled lightly as Leah stood to her feet.

“Well I can fix that,” Leah smiled. “I have a bottle of white chilling in my fridge,” Leah said. “And I think now is the perfect time to open it. I'll just nip home for it. And it gives me a chance to check on VJ. You Bianca Scott have worried me.” Leah said as she lightly hit her shoulder before she left the house. Bianca looked to Charlie, who looked broken, and lost.

“You okay?” Bianca asked and Charlie shook her head as she broke down into tears.

“Charlie.” Bianca exhaled lightly as she stood up from the seat and walked over to her friend, bending down and pulling her into a hug.

Charlie was sitting on the couch, hugging Brax’s pillow close to her, smelling in his scent. The duvet loosely hanging over her legs. The TV was bringing some light into the dark room, but the sound had been put down really low. Milo was sitting next to Charlie, looking up at her, his head on the end of the couch. She brought one of her hands down, and rubbed his head. “You not sleeping either? Or it is just me being in this room keeping you awake?” Charlie questioned. Milo moved his head up slightly, before licking her hand. “Do you miss Brax too? He’s the one who would take you on the longest walks.” Charlie sniffed back, desperate not to cry yet again.

“Want to talk to someone who can answer you back?” Ruby questioned as she walked into the living room and took a seat on the couch next to Charlie. Milo getting excited at the new arrival in the room. She clapped him as she looked around to her mother, and waited on an answer.

“I can’t get to sleep,” Charlie shook her head. “Not without Brax. These past couple of nights at the hotel I....I had Jacob in with me and the girls were close by so I was okay, I got a little sleep, but without Brax next to me...I can’t sleep properly without him there.”

Ruby pursed her lips together as she lightly rubbed Charlie’s arm. “You need some sleep. Maybe bringing Jacob or one or both of the girls in with you will help.”

“I can’t,” Charlie shook her head. “Because if he.....I might need to get used to sleeping on my own.”

“Mum you don’t need to do anything....if you need the kids with you tonight or for a while....that’s okay,” Ruby said softly.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I eh...I think I’m just going to lie here tonight.”

“Okay,” Ruby decided not to push her, she just had to let Charlie deal with this in the way she wanted to. “Ooh, someone’s very excited,” Ruby said as she put her hand over her stomach.

“You okay?” Charlie questioned.

“Mm, she’s just kicking.” Ruby smiled lightly.

“Can I?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded as she took Charlie’s hand in hers and placed it onto her bump. “I remember the first time you kicked,” Charlie smiled fondly. “It felt so strange.”

“It does,” Ruby nodded. “But it’s a great kind of strange.”

“Oh yeah,” Charlie smiled. “The twins drove me crazy with their kicking. It was constant for a while. One baby would stop and the next would start.”

Ruby laughed lightly. “I bet Riley was the one giving you the most bother though.”

“Oh I’d bet on it,” Charlie smiled before Ruby saw she was playing with her wedding rings. “I guess I should take the kids to see him tomorrow,” Charlie exhaled lightly. “But what do I tell them? How much are they going to understand?” Charlie questioned as she looked around to Ruby.

Ruby shrugged her shoulders lightly. “Just play it by ear tomorrow.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Charlie sighed. “So, anyways, what are you doing up at this time?”

“Grace here fancied some ice-cream,” Ruby answered. “Want me to bring the tub through here? And a spoon for you?”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled lightly at her eldest daughter. “Why not?” Charlie said and Ruby gave her a light smile before she walked off to the kitchen and pulled the ice-cream from the freezer. She opened the drawer and took out two spoons, before walking back to the couch and took a seat next to her mother. Charlie put the pillow down to her side, leaving it leaning against her as she brought the duvet up and around them both. Ruby handed Charlie a spoon and took the lid from the ice-cream and threw it down to the coffee table, neither of them seeming to notice Milo had went over to it and was now licking the ice-cream from it. Ruby rested her head against her mother’s shoulder as both of them sat there at 2.05am, no longer talking and just eating the ice-cream, but just having Ruby there meant enough to Charlie.

Thanks everyone. :wub:

Chapter 167

Paige, Riley and Jacob were sitting around the kitchen table, each of them making a card to give to Brax when they went to visit them later. “Daddy will like this ay Jacob?” Paige asked as she coloured in what was supposed to be a fairy on the front of the pink piece of card.

“I dunno,” Jacob giggled. “He doesn’t like pink or fairies. They are for girls.”

“No,” Paige disagreed. “He likes it ay Riley?”

“I no no,” Riley shrugged her shoulders as she picked up the orange crayon to colour the sun on the yellow piece of card that she had. “He like mines though.” Riley smiled as she looked down to her picture. “Daddy an me in the sea.”

“Yeah,” Jacob smiled. “He likes you and the sea. And he’ll like mines cos it’s me and daddy surfing.” Jacob picked up a blue crayon and started to colour the sea on the light green piece of card that he had.

“Mummy.” Paige pouted as Charlie walked into the kitchen with the wash basket, ready to take the clothes from the washing machine.

“Yes sweetheart?” Charlie questioned as she put the wash basket down on the kitchen floor and turned to face her daughter.

“They says daddy won’t like what me drawed.” Paige exhaled as she moved her hair from in front of her face.

“That’s not very nice,” Charlie said as she looked to Riley and Jacob. “Paige wouldn’t say that about your pictures,” Charlie walked over to the table and looked down at it. “It’s brilliant Paigey and daddy is going to love it, okay.” Charlie said as she played with her daughter's chocolate brown hair.

“See,” Paige stuck her tongue out at Riley and Jacob. “Mummy said he would so it’s right.”

“She just said saying because you is little. So there.” Jacob stuck his tongue out at his little sister.

“Jacob.” Charlie yelled sternly.

“Everything alright in here?” Ruby questioned as she walked into the kitchen. Charlie sighed lightly as she rubbed her forehead.

“Sorry, mummy didn’t mean to shout,” Charlie said. “She’s just tired.” After Ruby had gone back up to bed around 2.45, Charlie lay on the couch, and probably got about 2 hours sleep, before waking. She took Milo out for a long walk, did two loads of laundry, cleaned the downstairs bathroom and cleaned kitchen floor, all before the kids woke up at 8am.

“And thinking about daddy?” Jacob questioned. Charlie had told the kids that Brax had been hurt and was sleeping in the hospital. They were too excited about making him ‘get well soon’ cards to ask much more, like how and why he was hurt.

“Mmm hmm,” Charlie nodded lightly. “But we are going to go see him soon and you can put all these lovely cards up in his room.”

“And they makes him better?” Riley questioned.

“I sure hope so,” Charlie muttered as she cupped Riley's cheek in her hand. “You look so much like daddy sweet pea, so gorgeous.” Charlie smiled.

“I’s corejuice.” Riley giggled.

“Is I corejus too mummy?” Paige questioned as she pulled on her top.

“Of course you are,” Charlie smiled as she ruffled Paige’s hair. “Now, are you kids finished drawing your pictures?”

“Eh...you need to write the writey bits.” Paige answered as she handed Charlie a red crayon.

“Write the writey bits,” Charlie nodded lightly. “And what have I to write?” Charlie questioned.

“To daddy...gets better soon....lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of love from Paige.” Paige smiled up at her mother as Charlie opened up the card and wrote down what Paige wanted.

“You need yours written too Riley?” Charlie questioned and Riley nodded as she opened the card.

“The same as Paige.” Riley said. “But from me, not Paige.” Riley added.

“Of course.” Charlie laughed lightly at her daughter as she wrote down the words.

“You don’t need to help me,” Jacob shook his head. “I can write cos I am 6.”

“Yeah, you can,” Charlie smiled lightly at her son. “Now, if you’re finished clean away the crayons and get your shoes on.” The kids grabbed a handful of crayons each before running from the kitchen and up the stairs to put the crayons away and get their shoes. “You coming in as well?” Charlie asked as she looked up to Ruby who was making herself some toast.

“Nah, not right away. I’ll leave you and the kids to it for a while. I might go catch up with Xav.”

“Ah, where is he?” Charlie questioned.

“He’s gone to the Surf Club to help out John and Alf.” Ruby answered as she took the jam from the cupboard.

“Has the Surf Club been damaged badly by the fire?”

“Uhm, Xav said it was just smoke damage, so the fire didn’t make its way down the stairs. But he said it looks like the roof could fall in, or I guess the restaurant floor could fall down, so they’ll need to stay shut for a while.” Ruby answered and Charlie shook her head as she pursed her lips together.

“Well pass on to John and Alf how sorry I am that their business is going to be affected.” Charlie said and Ruby nodded lightly.

“I will but I’m sure they won’t mind so much about that right now when Brax is lying where he is.”

“Wasn’t like he got hurt in the fire though, was it?” Charlie questioned. “It was a completely different reason.”

“I know, but still,” Ruby smiled lightly as she opened the jam jar and pulled a knife from the drawer. “I eh...I guess you’ll be needing my car?” Ruby questioned. Charlie’s car was now in the garage, Charlie hoping they would be able to clean Brax’s blood from the back seat.

“Oh, yeah, if you don’t mind?” Charlie questioned. “I don’t even know where Brax’s car is. It wasn’t there when I found him.”

“Well hopefully he’ll be able to tell us what happened soon,” Ruby answered. “But it’s no problem for you to borrow my car. I already put the kids’ car seats in last night actually.”

“Thank you,” Charlie smiled lightly as she took Ruby’s car keys from the hanger. “But how will you get into town now?”

“I’ll call Xav. He’ll come back for me. He doesn't like me driving now anyways.” Ruby answered as the kids came running back into the kitchen, grabbing their cards from the kitchen table.

“We is ready mummy,” Riley smiled. “Let’s go see daddy.”

“Yeah, mummy come on.” Paige said.

“Thanks, and I’ll see you later,” Charlie smiled at Ruby before walking out of the house with the kids. She buckled Riley and Paige into their seats before Jacob jumped into the car. She walked around to the front and got into the car, turning the keys in the ignition and put on her seatbelt. She took a deep breath before she drove out of the driveway and in the direction of the hospital, hoping that today she got better news on the state of her husband, hoping that her husband would wake up.

Thank you Sarah, Red Ranger 1, pembie, CharlieAndBrax4Ever, beebee and Spotd1 for the comments. :wub:

Chapter 168

Charlie and the kids walked into the room. Jacob climbed up onto one seat and the girls climbed up onto the second one sharing the space. “Daddy,” Riley smiled as she handed the card out. “This is for you,” Charlie exhaled lightly as she stood behind the kids and looked down at her husband, still looking so peaceful. “Mummy he not take it?” Riley looked up to Charlie questioningly.

“No, remember mummy said he is sleeping.” Charlie answered as she put her hand onto her daughters head.

“Still?” Riley answered. “He’s really sleepy.”

“Yeah.” Charlie took a deep breath as she lifted Jacob from the chair and sat down, placing him back down on her knee.

“What’s the beeping for?” Jacob questioned.

“That’s the machine that’s helping daddy.” Charlie answered as she pursed her lips together. How much did she tell them? That right now, daddy was only breathing because of that machine? That as time passed she was finding it harder and harder to believe that he would get through this?

“Can we put these up?” Jacob asked as he pointed to the bedside cabinet. Charlie nodded lightly and Jacob stood up and put his card up, before taking Riley and Paige’s and doing the same.

“Mummy I don’t like daddy being here,” Paige spoke sadly, like she was about to cry. “Can he come home?”

“Mummy doesn’t like it either,” Charlie sniffed back. “And hopefully daddy comes home soon.” Charlie ran her hand through Paige’s hair as she spoke. Jacob looked at Charlie, before looking down at Brax, seeing the tube coming out of his throat.

“Is he going to die?” Jacob questioned as he looked back up at his mother.

“I....” Charlie trailed off. Maybe it was best to just be truthful with them. After all she would just make everything worse if she said he wouldn’t and then he did. “I don’t know sweetheart. We just have to hope that he will wake up.”

“No,” Jacob yelled. “You lied to me.” Jacob shouted before he ran from the room and around the corner and down the corridor, tears streaming down his little face.

“Jacob,” Charlie shouted as she left the room, and not seeing which direction her son went in, she didn’t know which way to turn. She exhaled lightly as she looked back to the girls who were sitting on the seat staring at Brax, and turned down the corridor to find her son.

Jacob kept running down the corridor as fast as his legs would allow him, dodging a concerned nurse as she tried to reach out to him. He turned another corner and it was then he bumped into April. “Hey, buddy, slow down,” April said as she bent down to his level and it was then that she saw it was in fact Jacob. “Jacob, what you doing?”

“April,” Jacob cried. “Why you here?”

“I’m on placement here,” April questioned. “Now what are you doing running down the corridor in tears?”

“She lied,” Jacob cried. “She lied to me about daddy,” April exhaled lightly as she took a seat and sat Jacob down next to her. “Mummy said he wouldn’t die for a long time but he’s hurted and now he might die.”

“Sweetie your mummy wouldn’t know that this was going to happen to him,” April wiped the tears from his face as she spoke. “No one would have thought that this would happen.”

“No, it’s too much people,” Jacob shook his head. “Ruby’s daddy died and my daddy Angelo died. Daddy can’t die too,” Jacob sniffed back. “She promised nothing would happen for a long time.”

“And it might not,” April exhaled lightly. “The doctors here are really good at what they do and if they can save your daddy they will.”

“Is you a doctor April?” Jacob questioned as he looked up to her, his eyes going all wide.

“Almost.” April smiled lightly.

“Then can you save my daddy please?” Jacob questioned. April pursed her lips together as she felt her eyes glazing over with tears. She looked up to see Charlie had caught up with her son, a tear rolling down her cheek as she heard his request.

“Like I said, the doctors here are good and will try their best.” April answered and Jacob exhaled lightly before he looked up to his mother.

“Sorry I ran away. Is I in trouble?” Jacob questioned shyly as she looked up to his mother.

“No,” Charlie shook her head as she lifted Jacob up and sat down, placing him down on her knee. “April could you....I had to leave the girls to find him and -”

“Yeah, I’ll go sit with them.” April answered as she stood up and walked away, leaving Charlie and Jacob sitting there.

“Sweetie -” Charlie exhaled lightly.

“I’m sorry,” Jacob cried. “But you promised before Hawaii that he wouldn’t die soon.”

“I remember,” Charlie answered. “But I don’t know what’s going to happen. And I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have filled you with false promises.”

“So he might die?” Jacob asked.

“He might,” Charlie nodded as she sniffed back a tear. “We don’t know when anyone is going to die sweetheart.”

“But there’s a big chance none of us will die for a long time?” Jacob questioned and Charlie nodded lightly as she ran her hand over his hair. “Well I hope no-one does for 60 years.”

“60 years?” Charlie questioned. “Now that is a long time.”

“Yeah,” Jacob nodded his head before he placed a kiss on Charlie’s cheek. “Can we go see daddy again?”

“Of course we can,” Charlie smiled as lifted Jacob down on her knee and stood up. Jacob took Charlie’s hand in his and they walked back down the corridor to see Brax.

Charlie had been left with Brax on her own. Ruby had come to join her at the hospital, and had taken the kids to the canteen to get some lunch. Charlie yawned as she held Brax’s hand in hers her. “You going to start thinking about waking up now?” Charlie questioned. “You had your little bit rest. Little bit of peace from the kids and Milo. We’d all love it if you woke up now. You can’t leave us yet,” Charlie shook her head. “Jacob can’t be the man of the house. He’s too young.” Charlie yawned once again she felt her eyes getting heavy, she could probably fall asleep right then. “The kids made you cards,” Charlie smiled lightly. “So, you have to see them. Each of them gives off who they are brilliantly. You’ll know right away which one is from which child.” Charlie wiped her hand over her tired eyes. “Well, I guess if you’re sleeping, you wouldn’t mind if I took a little nap too?” Charlie questioned as she climbed up onto the bed next to Brax, lying on her side, her arm draped over his chest. She snuggled her head close to him and could feel his heart beating against her body. She placed a soft kiss on his cheek, before closing her eyes and almost immediately falling into a sleep.

“Hey, Rubes, how’s it going?” April questioned as she walked over to the table.

“April Scott?” Ruby gasped. “Wow, so you are still alive.”

April laughed lightly. “I know it’s been ages, but I’ve just been so busy with uni this year. It’s my last year so it’s pretty full on.”

“Seems like you’ve been there for ages.” Ruby replied.

“Well I’d say 5 years is ages, yeah,” April nodded. “Poor Dex. I’ve been totally ignoring him lately.”

“Aw I’m sure once you’re Doctor Scott everything will be worth it,” Ruby grinned. “Or maybe you’ll end up being Doctor Walker. Just like your possible father-in-law.”

“It would be nice,” April smiled. "But Dex would need to ask me first.” April took a seat at the table, joining them as she opened up her lunch and took the sandwich out. “Mmm tuna cucumber today.”

“You didn’t know what was in your sandwich?” Ruby questioned.

“Dex made it for me.” April smiled lightly as she looked down to see she’d also got a raspberry yoghurt, an apple, an orange and a carton of tropical fruits flavoured juice.

“Aww bless isn’t he sweet,” Ruby gushed. “You really should be getting him off the market asap.”

“Like I say, Dex would need to ask me.” April answered.

“Well you’ve been together long enough,” Ruby exhaled. “Maybe I’ll get Xav to have a word with him.”

“Ruby can we get a packet of chips?” Jacob questioned.

“Yeah, can we?” Paige added.

“Sure.” Ruby said as she reached into her pocket and handed Jacob some money and the kids ran over to the vending machine.

“Would you?” April questioned.

“Would I what?” Ruby screwed her face up.

“Get Xav to have a word with him. Not necessarily have him make Dex propose but just see if he’s thinking about asking, I mean we’ve been together almost 7 years.”

“If I recall correctly you said you wanted to wait until you were finished with uni before getting engaged.” Ruby said.

“I know,” April sighed. “But, I’m almost there and as I say, we’ve been together a long time not to be even engaged yet.”

“I guess,” Ruby said as she took a drink of her juice. “And, sure,” Ruby nodded. “I would love to have little Grace’s godparents married.”

“Godparents?” April smiled surprised. “Me and Dex, really?”

“You’re like my best friend ever,” Ruby said. “And Dex is Xav’s so, yeah, of course we’d ask you.”

“Aww I’m touched,” April grinned. “And Grace is a lovely name by the way. Congrats on it being a girl.” April smiled as she pierced the straw into her juice box.

“Thanks,” Ruby smiled as she rubbed her stomach. “I can’t wait for her to arrive now.”

“Aww it’ll be nice,” April smiled. "A real little family.”

“Yeah,” Ruby agreed. “So do you see a baby in your near future?”

April choked on her juice, taken aback by the question. “In my future yes, but not my near future,” April shook her head. “I don’t want to qualify as a Doctor to just have to take time out to have a baby right away. I actually want to work in the job that I worked hard to achieve. Well, if I pass my final exams.”

“Oh and when have you ever failed an exam?” Ruby questioned. “You’ve passed every one easy so far right?”

“I wouldn’t say easy,” April shook her head. “But yeah I’ve passed them all.”

“Well then Doctor Scott, stop worrying.” Ruby laughed as the kids came running back over to the table. Ruby took another drink of her juice, and watched as the kids enjoyed their chips, hoping that when they went back to the Brax’s room that they would get some good news.

beebee, Zoe RoRo90, Red Ranger 1, Sarah, pembie and Freakie42, thank you so much. :wub: Hope you like this one...

Chapter 169

Ruby, April and the kids walked back into Brax’s room, Ruby and April both feeling their heartstring tug a little and the sight of Charlie falling asleep next to Brax. “Mum,” Ruby said softly as she lightly shook her shoulder. “Mum.” Ruby said again as Charlie began to wake.

Charlie sat up and looked around to them. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry,” April shook her head. “It’s okay.”

“You sleepy mummy?” Riley giggled as Charlie came down from the bed.

“Yeah, I was,” Charlie answered. “Did you kids have a nice lunch?”

“Yeah,” Paige nodded her head. “Was good mummy.”

“Good,” Charlie smiled. “And eh, thanks again for before April.”

“That’s okay,” April smiled lightly. “Have you had any lunch yet?”

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “I’m not hungry.” Charlie sat back down on the seat and Paige climbed up onto her knee, as Charlie took Brax’s hand into hers. Jacob and Riley sat up on the second seat.

“Maybe I could go and get you something,” April offered. “So it’s here if you do decide that you are hungry.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “Thanks for the concern but I’m a big girl and I’ll eat when I’m hungry.”

“Okay, well I better get back to my rounds.” April gave Ruby as smile before she went to walk out of the room. It was then when Brax’s eyes flickered and he started to cough, moving his hand up to his throat.

“April, wait,” Charlie shouted as she stood up, and placed Paige down on the ground. “Brax, it’s okay, you’re in hospital. It’s been helping you breath.” Charlie breathed out a sigh of relief as she stroked his forehead lightly and April told Ruby to go and find a doctor.

“Hey, Brax,” April smiled down at him. “We’ll get this removed in a second. We just need you to stay real still.” Brax moved his eyes from Charlie to April and back to Charlie again. His hand reached out and took her hand and he squeezed it tightly.

“Hey, it’s okay, I’m here.” Charlie sniffed back. “I’m here and I’m not going anywhere.” Charlie said as Ruby and Sid ran into the room.

“Hey, Brax, nice to have to back,” Sid smiled down at him as he took the tube in his hand. “I’m just going to pull this out for you.” Sid pulled the tube from Brax’s throat, causing Brax to choke, before he coughed.

“Ch...Cha...I...” Brax’s voice was croaky as he tried to speak. April poured him a class of water as Sid helped him sit up in the bed.

“Daddy is up now?” Riley questioned as she looked up to Ruby.

“Eh, yeah, c’mon we’ll wait outside until the doctor checks him over.” Ruby said.

“No Ruby,” Paige shook her head. “We see daddy.”

“C’mon, just for a minute or two,” Ruby said. “We can let Sid check daddy over.” Ruby ushered the children out of the room. Charlie turned her head and gave Ruby a thankful smile as Ruby closed the door.

“Charlie,” Brax spoke quietly as April put the water down on the cabinet. “Heath I....he -”

“Hey, don’t worry about Heath. It’s okay. We’re okay. It’s not important right now. All that matters is you getting strong enough to come home.” Charlie ran her hand through his hair as she spoke.

“So, Brax,” Sid smiled. “You had us all worried there for a while.”

“Can’t get rid of me that easily.” Brax grinned.

Sid laughed lightly. “Well I’ll let you get to Charlie and your kids soon, but I just have some questions I want to ask you, alright.”

“Uhm...sure.” Brax croaked before he pointed to the water and April poured him a second glass before she handed it to him.

“Actually, April, this is good practise for you. Want to ask him the usual questions?”

April suddenly got a look of worried on her face. “I can try...” April pursed her lips together. “So this is just to make sure you’re all okay up here.” April said as she hit the side of her head.

Sid cleared his throat. “I’ll let you away with that since its Brax, but any other patient please use the correct terms.”

“Sorry,” April pursed her lips together. “Okay, so your full name?”

“Darryl Sean Braxton.” Brax answered.

“And you age and birthday?” April asked before she looked questioningly to Sid who gave her a nod.

“I’m 35 years young, she’s 38, the oldie,” Brax gave a little laugh as he pointed to Charlie. “36 on November 29th.”

“And the month we are in now?” April questioned.

“Well last I knew it was July, but I don’t know how long I’ve been out for.” Brax answered.

“It’s still July yes,” Sid nodded. “You came in yesterday morning after being stabbed so I’d say you were out for 26 hours.”

“Right,” Brax nodded his head. “So that’s what that pain is in my side.” Brax winced as he put his hand over where he was stabbed.

“Yes, and that pain should be gone soon,” Sid answered. “We can up the dosage of pain killers if it’s really bothering you.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Brax nodded. “So, do I need to answer any more questions?” Brax asked.

“Ehm...” April looked to Sid once again.

“April, you should know this stuff, it’s easy.” Sid answered.

“I know but its Brax. I know him. He’s my best friend’s step-dad. I’m more worried than in Doctor mode.” April exhaled.

“Well you’ll need to try and get passed letting things like that affect you,” Sid answered. “It’s tough but you always must be professional.”

“Okay, sorry uhm...I could ask if he has children? Then names and ages?” April questioned.

“I have Jacob he’s 6, and the twins, my little princess Paige and then Riley. My little sassy one. What I could say about her,” Brax laughed lightly. “Oh and the twins are 3. And I have a 24 year old step-daughter, Ruby.”

“Well I’d say he’s fine,” April answered as she looked up to Sid. “He seems to know who he is just fine.”

“Yes,” Sid nodded. “And you did well too. Although what year it is is possibly another good question to ask them.” April nodded taking in Sid’s help.

“See I still have it all up here.” Brax joked as he looked to April, and pointed to his head.

“Well I’m sure you want rid of us doctors so you can talk with Charlie and see your kids, so we’ll leave you to it for now.” Sid said before he and April left the room.

“What you doing talking like that at a time like this?” Charlie questioned.

“Best to just joke is it not?” Brax questioned as Charlie sat back down to the seat, their hands never breaking apart.

“I don’t know, maybe now I guess,” Charlie exhaled. “I was so scared Brax. I thought I was going to lose you.”

“Like I said, you can’t get rid of me that easily.” Brax shook his head.

“I’m so sorry,” Charlie welled up. “I should never have left.”

“I should have listened to you. You kept telling me Heath was bad news but I was just so determined to see the good in him that I....I ruined us. And Heath he -”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head as she took a tighter grip of Brax’s hand. “You haven’t ruined us at all. This, Brax....I.....I can’t lose you, ever.” Charlie shook her head.

“That’s nice to know,” Brax smiled. “I don’t plan on ever losing you. I love you so much.”

“I love you too Brax, I do. So much.” Charlie smiled as she placed a soft kiss on his lips.

Brax smiled as Charlie pulled back. “Now, for now at least, quit keeping me all to yourself and let the kids in to see me.” Brax said and Charlie laughed lightly before she walked over to the door, and opened it, letting the excited kids back into the room.

Thanks everyone. Hope this one is alright. Don't like it much. :(

Chapter 170

“Wow,” Brax grinned as he looked down at card that Paige had made for him. The girls were sitting on the bed, one at each side of him, with Charlie and Jacob taking up the seats. Ruby had left to let the kids spend some time their dad. “It’s so good Paigey,” Brax ran his hand through her hair. “Is that little girl you?”

Paige looked up to Brax, and pulled a face of disbelief at the question he’d just asked. “Daddy don’t be silly,” Paige answered. “It’s a fairy.”

“God, of course it is, silly me,” Brax looked around to Charlie who laughed lightly. Brax opened the card up and looked down at it, reading the inside. “Wow, Paigey you’re very good at writing too.”

“Oh daddy,” Paige shook her head. “I’s only 3. I can’t write.”

Charlie laughed once again before Brax noticed a tear falling down her cheek. “Hey, you okay baby?”

“I’m just....this is just....I didn’t know if we’d get this again.” Brax reached his hand out and wiped her cheek.

“We’re going to have this for a long long time.” Brax smiled lightly.

“Daddy look at mines.” Riley smiled as she waved the card about in front of his face.

Brax took it into his hands and looked down at it. “Wow, so this is us in the sea, right?”

“The ocean, yeah,” Riley nodded. “Can we go today?”

“Not today sweetie,” Brax shook his head. “But soon, I promise.”

“Okay,” Riley smiled. “You like it ay?”

“Of course, it’s so good.” Brax smiled, before looking round to Jacob, who handed him his card.

“I’m glad you didn’t die daddy,” Jacob said. “It would be too sad.”

“Daddy’s glad to mate,” Brax answered. “And I think your mummy is too.”

“She is,” Jacob nodded his head. “She cried and cried when you were sleeping.”

“I bet so,” Brax looked to Charlie and smiled lightly as Charlie rubbed her sons head. “So we’re surfing here are we?”

“Yeah,” Jacob nodded. “When you’re better we can go again right?”

“We sure will buddy,” Brax smiled. “Maybe we can even head out to the Gold Coast, check out the waves there.”

“Wow, can we mum?” Jacob asked as he looked up to Charlie.

“We’ll see how dad’s recovery goes yeah?” Charlie said and Jacob nodded.

“Okay, but another holiday would be cool.” Jacob grinned.

“Well mate, you need to go to back to school on Monday, so I’m afraid we won’t be going anywhere soon.”

Jacob sighed lightly before looking back to Brax. “You’ll talk to her, right dad?”

“Yeah, you bet bud.” Brax laughed as he gave Charlie a cheeky glance. “So, you had the zoo yesterday right?”

“Uh-huh,” Jacob nodded his head. “It was so good. We saw elephants and lions and monkeys and giraffes....it was the best time. And we sang happy birthday to Ash in the food bit and Bianca had some cake. Yummy chocolate cake. Bella didn’t get none cos she was naughty.”

“Oh was she?” Brax questioned and Jacob nodded his head.

“She had a tantrum,” Jacob giggled. “She was kicking and screaming on the floor.”

“Poor Bianca.” Brax said.

“Oh daddy,” Riley clapped her hands together. “Mummy take us to the zoo.”

“Just us girls,” Paige nodded her head. “Not you or Jacob.”

“Ah really?” Brax looked up to Charlie, mocking offence.

“Yep,” Charlie nodded. “You know a bit of girly bonding.” Charlie smiled.

“Well Jacob, we are offended aren’t we?” Brax questioned and Jacob nodded.

“How we no get to go?” Jacob asked. “It could be fun all us together.”

“Well mate, how about me and you go somewhere for a boy’s day?” Brax suggested and Jacob’s eye lit up.

“Yeah, the aquarium.” Jacob answered. “Boys day only.”

“Right, we’ll that’s it sorted then,” Brax smiled. “Once daddy gets out of here we’ll have our days out.”

“Yes the zoo.” Riley cheered and Brax laughed lightly before he placed a kiss on his daughters head.

Leah had come around to see Brax, before taking the kids away for some diner so Charlie and Brax could have some time alone. “So, you were awful quiet before, everything okay?” Brax questioned.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded her head. “I was just letting the kids talk with you.”

“Well, I’m all yours now,” Brax grinned as he took Charlie’s hand into his, squeezing it gently. “And us, I mean, there still is an us, right?” Brax asked worriedly.

“Of course there is,” Charlie answered. “I’m mad at you, but I think that you’ve suffered enough by almost dying.”

“I’d say.” Brax exhaled.

“Brax, can you remember what happened out there?” Charlie questioned. “Heath, Jett, where your car is? Can you help me make sense of this?”

“Heath eh....when he got the money from Ruby, he....he told me he wanted me to know what it was like to lose everything. My restaurant, he said that it was up in flames. Is it?” Charlie pursed her lips together as she nodded lightly. “Bet you thought that was me?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “But eh, Xavier’s been down there and eh....John saw a few river boys around the place, so the police are out questioning them.”

“Sam and Brandon, I’d think. They were always closest to Heath. Do anything for him.” Brax said and Charlie nodded lightly.

“Well you can let the police know, they’ll probably be around to talk with you now you are awake.” Brax nodded lightly as he felt tears in his eyes. “It’s okay to cry,” Charlie said. “You put a lot of work and time into that place.”

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “Because I have bigger things to worry about. Jett, he still hasn’t got his money. So, you and the kids, Bianca and her kids, you need to be careful okay.”

Charlie nodded lightly, suddenly feeling a little scared. “And Heath? What were you starting to say about him?”

“Well, he arrange the burning of my restaurant, you know that much. He eh, he said he wanted me to know what it was like not to have anything. Like he did being in jail. He lost his Casey, Darcy moved away with her gran, mum’s off sailing somewhere, and I think he was just jealous. I had the restaurant, the gorgeous wife, and the kids. He said I didn’t deserve it because I left him on his own. He took the money and my car and drove off.”

“Oh,” Charlie covered her mouth with her hand for a moment. “Well the police will find him. He’s technically stole Ruby’s money and he’s stole your car for sure, he’s involved in your restaurant burning. The police will want him.”

“Yeah, but he’s had like a day’s head start already,” Brax sighed. “If he’s had sense he would be out of the country now and we’ll be highly unlikely to hear from him again.”

“Well this is Heath, so the sense part,” Charlie shook her head. “It’s not really there.”

“I don’t really care if I ever see him again,” Brax shook his head. “It’s my restaurant, I....I need to get in contact with the insurance and then the Surf Club, is it damaged?”

“Hey, you’re not doing anything,” Charlie shook her head. “Xavier is dealing with all of that. You just need to concentrate on getting better.”

“What am I going to do now?” Brax questioned. “I didn’t go to uni or even college. I don’t even have my HSC. How am I going to get another job?”

“You can open a new restaurant,” Charlie said. “You’re great at managing that restaurant. It would be a shame to see you stop that.”

“Nah,” Brax shook his head. “I eh....that restaurant was mine. We have so many memories there, a new one, it’s wouldn’t be the same.”

“We can make new memories,” Charlie said. “Start over after this mess, in a new place.”

“I don’t know,” Angelo shook his head. “Anyways, as hard as it is to believe, I’m tired so, would you mind leaving me to sleep for a while?”

“Oh, sure,” Charlie nodded as she stood up. She placed a soft kiss on Brax’s lips before walking over to the door. “See you later.”

“Yeah,” Brax cleared his throat, as if pushing back the tears. “Bye.” Charlie exhaled lightly before leaving the room.

Archived