I Lied To Protect You

Guest AvrilRP212

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 15

Thanks for the comments. I’m not entirely sure about this chapter but it will all make sense in the next chapter.

“Daddy, you go take me to school?” Shawn asked as he finished his breakfast.

“I’m a little busy at the moment.” Brax replied from the kitchen.

“Doing what?” Charlie asked walking in.

“Baby-proofing. Rubes gave me this to read.” Brax replied holding up a book.

“100 dangers to children in the house.” Charlie said reading the cover

“Yeah, number 29, cupboards containing cleaning products.” He said fixing a lock on one of the kitchen cupboards.

“So you not going to take me to school?” Shawn asked sadly.

“Well I’ve still got 71 things to do.” Brax replied turning the page. “Number 30, stair gates.”

“Braxxx. She’s not going to be crawling for months.” Charlie laughed at him.

“Fine I’ll skip that one and come back to it later.” He said turning another page.

“Daddy you gots to go to work.” Shawn said picking up his schoolbag.

“Yeah Brax, all our income is through your job.” Charlie agreed brushing Shawn’s hair.

“I don’t like it when you two gang up on me.” Brax sighed putting the book down and going upstairs to get changed.

“High five.” Shawn giggled.

“Now be good today, alright?” Charlie said kissing his forehead. “That means no more getting into fights.”

“Them boys were being mean to Logan.” Shawn protested.

“It does not mean you punch someone.” Charlie replied as Brax came back downstairs.

“You punched someone?” He asked surprised.

“They pushed Logan in the playground.”

“Well that was very brave of you to stick up for your friend,” Brax said proudly before realising that Charlie was glaring at him disapprovingly. “But you should have told a teacher not punched someone.”

“Sorry.” Shawn said looking innocently up at them both with his big blue eyes.

“Come on or you’re going to be late.” Brax said grabbing the car keys. “We’ll see you at lunch and please no more cleaning. The house is spotless.” Brax said kissing Charlie.

“Bye mummy.” Shawn said hugging her.

“See you later Shawn.” Ruby said sitting down at the table.

“See you Rubes.” Shawn said before running out the door after Brax.

“So what are you up to?” Charlie asked sitting down.

“Work.” She replied setting up her laptop.

“Well I’m going back to bed then.” She said standing up.

“Mum you’ve been sleeping during the day for a whole month now.”

“Yeah well for some strange reason the baby wants to move around when I’m trying to get to sleep at night. So I sleep during the day.” She replied.

“I just noticed, ever since I got back you’ve only been calling me mum.”

“I thought you were dead. I said it to you that night, just after Sid told me that you’d never wake up. I realised I should have said it before that.”

“Rubes no one was expecting you to.”

“But what if you really had died?”

“If I could have done it any other way I would have Ruby but it was the only way I could keep you safe.”

“I understand why, just promise me you won’t ever put me through that again.”

“In the rare event that anything like that did happen again, I promise.” She replied, as there was a noise in the kitchen.

The two looked at each other before going into the kitchen to find the window wide open and banging.

“I don’t remember opening that.” Charlie said closing it.

“Maybe Brax did.” Ruby shrugged walking back into the dining room.

“Yeah, probably.” Charlie sighed before going upstairs.

“You know it wouldn’t hurt to try and keep the kids out of our arguments.” Nicole said angrily as they drove back to the house.

“I’m way past arguing with you Nicole.” Angelo replied not looking at her.

“Angelo, watch out.” Nicole yelled as a car came speeding towards them. Angelo slammed the brakes and then tried to swerve but they crashed right into them.

Hospital

“Is Angelo going to be okay?” Nicole asked shakily.

“Things aren’t great Nicole.” Sid said sitting down next to her. “He has some broken ribs and his arm is broken. His lung is also punctured and he had quite a bang to the head. One of his ribs was crushed and some fragments have worked into his bloodstream. And if they get into his heart…”

“Isn’t there anything you can do?” Nicole cried.

“Until he wakes up, no. If we give him anaesthetic he may never wake up.” Sid replied regretful.

“We were arguing, when it happened. What if I never get to tell him I’m sorry and that I love him?” She said through tears.

“He knows Nicole.”

“Can I see him?”

“Of course. What about the kids?”

“Oh, um, I’ll go sort that out first.” Nicole replied wiping the tears off her face.

“I thought you were asleep.” Ruby said cleaning away a load of dishes from the table.

“I was…until lots of noise started outside.” Charlie replied sitting down at the table.

“Sorry, I asked them to be quiet.” Ruby said apologetically, picking Mya up off the floor where she was crawling around.

“Uh, Rubes, what’s Mya doing here?”

“Please don’t start freaking out but Angelo and Nic where in a car accident.”

“Are they okay?”

“Nic is but Angelo isn’t so great. She asked me to look after the kids.”

That Evening

“Hello.” Ruby answered picking up the phone.

“Rubes, I’m going to ask you for a huge favour.” April said.

“How huge?” Ruby asked intrigued.

“Well I’ve got this last minute shift at the hospital tonight and Bianca and Liam won’t get back until tomorrow.

“So you want me to look after the kids?” Ruby asked taking a wild guess.

“I’m begging right now.” April pleaded.

“Alright, but you’ll have to bring them over here.”

“That’s fine.” April replied. “Ash, give Izzy back her toy. Isobel! Don’t hit your brother.” Ruby heard her say in the background. “I’ll see you in half an hour. Bye.” April said hanging up.

“Why does everyone always call me whenever kids need looking after?” Ruby asked, putting the phone down.

“Cause you’re really good with them.” Casey suggested finishing his dinner.

“So we’re going to have a full house tonight?” Brax asked coming through the front door.

“Looks like it.” Casey replied laughing.

“Why I staying here tonight?” George asked rubbing his eyes tiredly as he finished his dinner.

“Well, your daddy had a bit of an accident so he has to stay in hospital tonight.” Ruby replied.

“Oh, so where I gonna sleep tonight.”

“You sleep in my room.” Shawn said excitedly. “Come on, we can go and make up the mattress.”

“Shawn, Ash and Isobel are staying over too.” Ruby shouted from the kitchen.

“Really? Cool.” Shawn replied before running upstairs after George.

“Good, footie’s on.” Casey said opening a beer and sitting down on the sofa with Brax.

“Is that all the help I’m going to get?” Ruby asked as Mya started to cry.

“40 minutes Rubes and then I’ll come and help.” Casey sighed not taking his eyes off the screen as he took another sip of beer.

“Is this what you’re going to be like when we have kids?” She asked annoyed.

“What kids? Why, you’re not…” Casey said choking.

“No Case, I was just talking about the future.”

“Well go easy on the future talk please.”

“Come on Mya. Let’s go get ready for bed.” Ruby sighed walking up the stairs.

“Mummy, Rubes asked if you want some dinner.” Shawn said waking her up gently.

“Shawn?” She said drifting back to sleep.

“Mum.” Shawn moaned wanting to go and plat with George. He tried to wake her up again but this time he didn’t get any response from her. Giving up, he jumped off the bed and went back downstairs. “Daddy.” He said standing in front of the T.V.

“No Shawn, it’s getting good.” Brax groaned.

“You not listening dad.” Shawn objected not moving.

“Alright what is it?” Casey asked impatiently.

“Rubes asked me to wake mum up and ask her if she wanted something to eat and I was trying to wake her up and I tried everything but she wouldn’t and and…” Shawn rambled on.

“Shawn, slow down. What’s wrong?” Brax asked putting down his drink concerned.

“Mummy won’t wake up.” Shawn shouted.

Brax jumped up off the sofa and rushed upstairs. Casey switched off the T.V and followed him upstairs.

“What’s going on?” Ruby asked walking into the hallway as Casey came upstairs.

“I don’t know.” Casey shrugged.

Downstairs the doorbell rang.

“That’s April.” Ruby said going towards the stairs.

“Tell her to come up here.” Brax shouted to her.

“So I’ll pick them up tomorrow?” April asked pushing the two children through the door.

“Before you go, Brax needs you upstairs.” Ruby said.

April nodded shutting the door and going upstairs. She was already late for her shift another 10 minutes wasn’t going to hurt.

“Are they asleep now?” Ruby asked as Casey walked into the kitchen yawning.

“At last. You know all three of them picked a different book to read and then they started a pillow fight, and all I want to do right now is go to bed.” Casey replied sitting down at the table.

“How was work?” she asked before taking another sip out of her wine.

“Exhausting, but it’s great. Knowing that I can help kids that have the same problems I do with schoolwork. It’s just really great.” He replied enthusiastically as he watched Ruby glance at the clock for the second time and look a little bit worried. “They’re going to be fine Rubes. April just wanted to be on the safe side.” He said reassuringly.

“I know, I just want everything to be okay now. These last few years have been hell and I honestly have no idea how we all coped.”

“Rubes you’ve got to stop being so paranoid about all this. Everything is going to be fine.” Casey said softly.

“I’m going to go and check on the girls.” She said standing up and walking out.

Ruby’s P.O.V

Casey thinks I’m paranoid. Truth is I’m petrified that something bad is going to happen. I walked upstairs and into the spare room where Isobel and Mya were sleeping. I checked them both and was surprised to see that they were both asleep already. I guess they were both very tired. I walked back downstairs slowly, hoping that mum and the baby were okay, that Angelo was going to be okay.

“Do you want another drink Rubes?” Casey asked from the kitchen.

I was about to answer him when I felt lightheaded and sleepy. Everything went black as I crashed to the floor.

Casey’s P.O.V

I knew she was scared that after everything that’s happened these last few years. There were only so many times that a person could lose a family member and cope. And I sometimes consider for a couple of minutes that maybe she’s right. It’s strange the way that we got home so fast and Jake died. I shook the thoughts from my mind as I opened another beer and called out to Rubes if she wanted a drink too. She didn’t reply and I heard a thud. Wondering what was going on I walked into the next room and saw her lying on the floor. Before I could do anything else I felt something bang the back of my head and everything went dark.

Thanks for the comments ^_^

Chapter 16

“Ow, ow, ow!” Casey muttered as he woke up and tried to stand. “Rubes?” He called out as he held his hand to the back of his head and walked into the next room. He found her lying on the floor. He bent down quickly to see if she was okay. There was a sudden bang from upstairs and his head shot up. Whoever had hit him might’ve still been in the house. Grabbing the broom from behind the cupboard he walked upstairs quietly and into the first room. Everything inside was totally destroyed. It was Shawn’s room. “Shawn. Ash. George.” He called out worried. What was going on?

“Casey?” He heard someone call from the next room. Getting more worried he ran into the next room. Like Shawn’s everything was strewn all over the floor. “Is that you Casey?” Someone mumbled.

“Isobel.” He said as she ran over to him from under the bed and hugged him tightly. “What happened? Where’s the others?”

“Izzy.” Mya whimpered scared from under the bed.

“Two me came into the room and started throwing stuff around and then they took the boys.” Isobel cried.

An hour later

“What is going on?” Brax wondered as he pulled up the car outside the house to find the police swarming around the house.

Casey’s P.O.V

“Do you have any idea who could have done this?” Watson asked me as I shook his head. “Well, we’ll keep in touch.” She said beginning to walk away.

I just lied to her. But I had to talk to Brax first and tell him what I knew.

“Casey what’s happened?” He asked me worriedly as he came walking in the house by himself.

“The boys are gone Brax.” I said helplessly.

“Who took them?” He asked angrily.

“I’m not sure, whoever it was knocked me out. But when Heath and me were down the beach the other day, a few of the boys were telling us that some of Jakes crew were mouthing off about something going to happen. I think they have something to do with it.”

“It just never stops!” He shouted exasperated. “Is Ruby okay?” He asked noticing she wasn’t around.

“She collapsed in the dining room before I got hit. So they took her to the hospital and they thought it might have been some sleeping drug.” I replied shakily as I remembered earlier when they had tried to wake her up.

“How’s Charlie doing?” I asked as we walked into the house.

“They don’t know what’s wrong with her yet. They’re doing some blood tests and she got sick a couple of times.” He replied strained. “Angelo’s going to kill me. Bianca’s going to kill me.” He sighed sitting down.

“Tomorrow’s problem.” I replied deciding to go and check on the girls before going to bed.

Following morning

Shawn’s P.O.V

I opened my eyes in the dim light. My head was banging and an old familiar pain shot up my arm as I moved slightly. I winced at the pain. I felt my hands tied behind my back uncomfortably and I was curled up on the ground.

“Good morning Shawn.” I heard a creepy male voice say.

I looked up and noticed George sitting in the corner opposite me, crying. I carried on looking around and found Ash. He looked as if he were sleeping but something about the way he was sat there made me think otherwise. I started to wonder why this was happening. Why was it us three?

The door banged shut and I jumped in fear. I’d never really been afraid of much in my life for no good reason. Now it was overwhelming me.

“Jake?” I said remembering that voice from back in Perth. “They said you were dead. Mummy told me you were dead.”

“Yes well unfortunately Shawn it’s not hard to manipulate cops to do what you want them to do. Your dad should know all about that. After all you’re living proof.”

“Who’s Jake? What are we doing here? I want my mummy.” George cried out.

“Shut up kid.” Another man said kicking George in the leg causing him to yelp out in pain.

“Stop it! When my dad finds out I’m here…” I started angry at what he was doing to us.

“What’s Brax going to do hey?”

“Hurt you for doing this.” I said almost inaudibly.

“Oh him and what army? Oh is he bringing Liam and Angelo. All three dads coming to save their little boys. And Jake will be killed and you’ll all go home and live happily ever after? Well guess what this isn’t a fairy tale kid. This is life.” He said with that evil grin I’d only seen before on TV.

I welled up with tears as I realised what he was doing. Something he seemed to enjoy doing a lot. He was using us as a lure. The way they were treating us proved that they didn’t care about us. We were just the bait. He wanted my parents, so he could finish what he’d started long before I was born. His revenge for his brother. And somehow I had the feeling that he was right. Daddy was not going to be able to rescue us this time. And I had to warn him…

Hospital

“Hey.” Brax said as he walked into the room. “You okay?” He asked wondering if she really needed to know what had happened later last night.

“Do I look alright to you?” She snapped.

“Oh, hormonal Charlie’s back. I think I’ll go and get a coffee.” He sighed heading back towards the door.

“Brax, we need to talk.” Casey said walking into the room.

“I’m coming.”

“What’s going on?” She asked suspiciously.

“Uh, nothing.”

“You’re lying.”

“Yeah, okay I’m lying. Look, some blokes came around to the house last night and trashed a few rooms. And now Ash, George and Shawn are missing and the cops are completely clueless.” Brax retorted angrily before walking out the room leaving Charlie shocked.

“He didn’t get a lot of sleep last night.” Casey muttered before following Brax. “Will you please calm down.”

“Casey, it is highly possible that Jake’s gang have come back for revenge because Jake is dead and now have my son and the other two boys.”

“You finished?” Casey asked before Brax nodded. “Well they found sleeping drugs in Rubes and she says she never took anything.”

“And?” Brax questioning not knowing what this meant.

“The only other way they could have got in her is through a food or drink. Which means someone wanted her to fall asleep. And that’s not all, Ruby says she remembers hearing something in the kitchen earlier that day after we all left for work.”

“They’ve been planning this.” Brax sighed frustrated. He sat down on one of the chairs thinking.

Casey looked at his watch realising the time. “I’m really sorry to have to do this but I have to be somewhere.”

“Go.” Brax replied running his hand through his own hair worryingly before his phone started to ring. He fished it out of his pocket and answered.

“Darrryl.” Jake drawled.

“Jake?” Brax asked, a mixture of shock and confusion running through him. “But you were dead…”

“I had to make you think I was dead. Did you think your little family would have gotten back together if I hadn’t? They would’ve tried to protect you again. Keep you all safe until I was caught. So I tricked you and followed you around, watched you, kinda like last time, if you remember. Only this time I’d learned my lesson. Careful planning pays off in the end. I knew that even if I tried I wasn’t going to get to that cop again but I realised I wanted to punish her too. That’s when I realised I should go for your son instead. I was in your house yesterday. Then, by fate you and Charlie left the house. The other two were easy to get past and for extra measure I took the three boys together.” He laughed.

“Where are they you f**king son of a b***h!”

“Now Darryl, calm down. You want to talk to Shawn. He’s right here.” Jake said handing his phone over to the boy.

“Daddy.” Shawn cried.

“Shawn, are you okay? Do you know where you are?” Brax asked quickly.

“I don’t know. It’s dark and scary. He’s got a gun and and Ash is sick.” He replied crying.

“Listen to me mate. I’m going to find you okay? I promise I’ll find you.”

“No wait daddy I think it’s a…” Shawn tried to say before the phone went dead.

That’s why Jake’s gang had been mouthing off. They knew Jake was alive. He kicked the chair in frustration at the thought of Jake hurting Shawn. Looking up he groaned as Liam and Bianca walked over to him. Great, how was he going to explain to them that he’d got Ash caught up in his on-going feud.

“…trap.” Shawn tried to say as Jake grabbed the phone and hung up.

“You’re quite a smart kid, aren’t you. Smarter than your dad. I don’t think he realised it was a trap. Yes I want your family here, altogether, so I can show you Braxton’s what happens when you mess with the Pirovic’s.”

“So why take them too?” Shawn asked pointing to Ash and George.

“Couple of reasons actually. I thought you might like some company in the last few days of your life, Rosetta arrested me when he was a cop and lastly, I wanted someone to go back to the bay afterwards and tell everyone how all the Braxton’s were horrifically murdered by me.”

“You crazy.” Shawn said shaking his head as he sat down on the floor.

“We’re getting close Hammer, little brother.” Jake whispered.

“We got your test results back.” Sid said coming into Charlie’s room where there was an intense argument taking place.

“What’s wrong?” Brax asked getting up of the side of the bed.

“We found Chloral hydrate in your system.”

“What?” She asked confused.

“It’s a sleeping drug that causes side effects like the ones you were experiencing. The same drug that we also found in Ruby.” Sid said looking at the papers.

“But I didn’t take anything.” She objected.

“We think the drug might have been in a food that you both might’ve eaten. Although how it got in the food we have no idea.”

“Is the baby okay?” Brax asked.

“We’re not sure what the effects of the drug will have had on your daughter yet but we will do everything we can.” Sid finished before walking out.

“Brax, what are you not telling me?” Charlie asked slowly.

Brax sighed as he wondered whether it was worth her getting stressed if he told her. “He’s not dead Charlie.”

“Who?” She asked confused.

“Jake, he faked it, he’s back here and he took Shawn.” Brax said infuriated that his past was still ruining his life.

She’d finally realised how serious this was. Jake had shot her and left her to die. What was he going to do to three innocent boys?

“Things cannot possibly get any worse.” He sighed shaking his head.

“Wrong.” She gasped as a pain raged through her.

“Oh no.” Brax mumbled as he realised his daughter was going to be born 6 weeks early.

Chapter 17

Thanks for the comments ~JarlieFanEver~ and Jessicals16.And i might not be able top update this for a couple of weeks. Enjoy.

“She’s really beautiful Brax.” Ruby said as she looked down at her small baby sister in the incubator. Even all though she was almost a month and a half early she was doing really well and the doctor looking after her said she might only have to be in the incubator for a week or two.

“Yeah, she is.” Brax replied smiling at his baby daughter. Unlike Shawn, who had most of Brax’s features, she was a perfect mix of both of her parents.

“How’s mum?” Ruby asked as they walked back out of the room.

“She’s worried about Shawn.”

“And what about you?” She asked sitting down in a chair.

“I don’t think Jakes gonna hurt him or the other two. He’s just doing it to hurt us. For now we just have to wait until we know where they are.”

In the hospital room, Charlie sat crying in the bed. This should have been a happy time, welcoming their daughter into the world, but it wasn’t. Jake wasn’t dead and he was ruining their lives again. Although Brax was sure Jake wasn’t going to hurt Shawn, she didn’t believe that for a minute. All Jake was interested in was punishing them, or more specifically her for killing Hammer. She turned over in the bed trying to get to sleep unsuccessfully as Brax’s phone on the table started vibrating. She picked it up slowly and read the text.

Darrryl, if u want 2 c Shawn and his friends again meet me at the warehouse and don’t bring anyone. JP

They were at the warehouse. She put the phone down and started putting her clothes back on. She wasn’t going to leave this up to Brax. She was going to get Shawn back herself. Outside Brax went to get some coffees whilst Ruby went to look at her sister again. Charlie sneaked out of the room and then out of the hospital. Climbing into Brax’s car she got his keys from her pocket that she’d picked up from the side table and drove out of the car park and back towards Summer Bay.

Mean whilst, in the hospital Brax had just walked into Charlie’s room to find it empty. In the minute he stood there wondering where she had gone, Sid came in the room.

“Where’s Charlie?” Sid asked thinking she might’ve just gone to see the baby.

“I have no idea Sid. But my car keys are gone.” Brax replied picking up his mobile and putting it in his pocket.

“I’m just going to talk to security.” Sid said walking out of the room.

Brax’s phone then rang and he pulled it back out of his pocket and answered.

“Brax, I thought you were at the hospital?” Casey asked.

“I am. Why?”

“Well your car just went past the house.”

“Charlie’s gone. She’s gone to look for Shawn.” He realised.

“I’ll go out and try to follow her.” Casey said hanging up the phone as he ran down the stairs.

As Brax looked at his phone, he noticed he had a text that was sent only an hour ago. He quickly opened it and read it before going to find Ruby.

“Brax, what’s the matter?” Ruby asked as he came running into the room.

“I need to borrow your car.” He said exasperated.

“Why? I thought you drove here?”

“I don’t want to worry you Rubes but your mums taken off with my car.”

“Ah, I found you Brax. Security remembers seeing her leave the hospital about an hour ago.” Sid said.

“I know, she’s gone to find Shawn.” Brax replied as Ruby gave him her keys.

Without another word, he ran out of the hospital and sped off hoping he would get there before Jake did anything.

At the Warehouse

“I don’t like it here. I want to go home.” George cried as the three boys huddled together.

“We’re going to be alright George. They’ll find us. They’re probably out looking for us right now.”

“Yeah George.” Shawn added.

“Shut up you three.” Jake warned them coming back into the room.

“You’re a very mean man.” Shawn said getting angry as he stood up.

“I’ll take that as a compliment kid, now sit down.” Jake replied getting the gun out of his pocket.

Outside there was the sound of an engine as a car pulled up and stopped.

“I think a certain Braxton just arrived.” Jake said getting excited as he walked out of the small room to look out of a window. Brax’s car was sitting outside, empty. “Great.” Jake breathed as he walked outside. “Darrryl? We have a score to settle.” He shouted.

Behind the trees, there was noise and movement and Jake turned around and shot.

“Mummy, you find us.” Shawn cried as Charlie ran into the room and started to untie them.

“Don’t talk sweetie.” She replied quietly noticing how exhausted he looked as she tried to get the knots undone.

Outside there was a gunshot and then another. All four of them froze.

“What are you doing Jake?” Matt asked horrified as he came out of the trees.

“What are you doing up there?” Jake asked lowering his gun.

“There’s no toilet Jake, what do you think I’m doing. More to the point what are you doing, trying to kill me?”

“Brax is here.” He answered looking around again.

“How do you know?”

“His bloody car is parked out here you moron.” He replied angrily.

“So where is he then?”

“The kids.” Jake said starting to run with Matt following him.

“Hurry.” Ash prompted as she tried to untie Shawn’s ropes which seemed to be harder than the other twos. Ash and George were standing, already untied waiting.

“They’re coming.” George whimpered as he heard them running outside.

“Get out of here now you two.”

“But were waiting for you.” Ash objected.

“Go now.” She shouted as Jake was heard barging through the door and up the stairs.

The two boys rushed out knocking over a load of petrol cans that opened and spilled all onto the floor. Jake thundered into the room holding his gun up.

“So it wasn’t Brax who came. He isn’t here at all is he?”

“Just leave us alone Jake. Haven’t you already caused us enough pain?” Charlie asked standing up in front of Shawn.

“No, I don’t think I have. You see, you killed my brother. And I am not going to stop until I kill one of you.”

“Or I kill you.” Brax replied from behind Jake as he pointed a gun at him.

“Darryl. So you decided to join us after all.” Jake laughed turning around.

“Drop your gun before I kill you, you worthless filth.” Brax said bringing his own gun higher.

“Darryl, when are you going to learn? I always win eventually.” He said keeping his gun firmly pointed on Charlie.

“You have nothing to gain from doing this Jake. If you kill me then when the police finally come you will be locked up.” Charlie said.

“Your pig friends can’t do anything to me. I escaped them once I can do it again.” He laughed. “Matt, what are you doing?” Jake asked as he watched his friend light a match.

“Oh sorry, it’s just I was getting stressed and I know this isn’t the best time but I really need a cigarette.” He said lighting the one in his mouth before dropping the match to the floor and igniting all the petrol. Flames sprung up and Jake lowered his gun as the flames crept around the door, starting to block their way out. Everyone ran towards the door as Matt ran out of the building. Jake got there first and turned around lifting his gun up as Brax quickly shot him in the leg. Screaming out in pain, Jake limped towards the front door and tried to run.

Still inside Brax, Charlie and Shawn were trying to find their way out as smoke began to rise, clouding the rooms. There was a sudden squeal from another part of the building as something collapsed.

“Ash and George.” Charlie said coughing.

“I’ll go. Get Shawn out now.” He ordered.

She and Shawn continued to find their way towards the exit as Brax turned and started look for the two other boys. They stumbled down the stairs to find the entrance completely engulfed in flames.

“We is trapped.” Shawn spluttered scared as he clung to her.

“No giving up yet.” Charlie replied picking him up as he continued to cough. But this time even she wasn’t sure of her own words. As a police officer she was used to being in control of these sorts of situations, being the victim was different. In the corner of the room there was a small window. Maybe she could get Shawn out of here safe at least. She picked up a piece of metal off the floor and smashed the window.

“Listen to me Shawn. You’re going to go out this window and if Jake is out there, I want you to run.”

“No mummy, I want to stay with you.” Shawn cried refusing to let go of her.

“Be brave Shawn, everything’s gonna be alright okay.” She tried to sound convincing as she helped him get out the window.

Shawn turned around and took one last look at his mum before running away from the burning building. Charlie stood there for a moment watching him run, knowing that at least he was safe. She then decided to try to help Brax.

Outside

Casey’s P.O.V

I drove the car up to where Brax’s and Ruby’s were parked and jumped out looking at the burning building. Walking further towards the place he found Shawn lying on the ground coughing.

“Where’s the others Shawn?” I asked bending down towards him.

“Th..they…still…in…inside.” He spluttered crying.

The building groaned before part of it collapsed. In that moment that felt like it went on forever, as I clung to my little nephew I hoped and prayed that everything was going to be fine. That we would all come out of this unscathed and another part of me wished that Jake could be killed in this fire. As the fire ceased and it was just smoke I wondered if I should go and look for them in the remains of the warehouse. But Shawn was still clinging to me. Not long after the rescue people and the police came and then an ambulance. As they checked Shawn over I followed the rescue guys over to start looking for my family. They found Ash first. He was the farthest away from the actual rubble that was the house. Then Brax was found under a lot of the rubble and there was a lot of searching before they finally found George, unconscious. But despite how long they looked Charlie was nowhere to be found. I cursed Jake as it suddenly became clear that they weren’t going to find her.

Immediately after the building collapsed

Charlie’s P.O.V

I’d managed to find Brax and we were trying to find a way out when the building suddenly collapsed around us. When I opened my eyes there was smoke everywhere and I was away from the actual rubble of the building.

“This is quite ironic don’t you think Matt?” Jake asked smiling.

“Yeah, Ironic that we almost burned to death and you’ve been shot.” Matt replied finally realising how crazy this man was. He wasn’t afraid to say now that his best mate was quite delusional.

In the distance there was the sound of sirens.

“I think it’s time to get out of here.” Matt said getting worried.

“Come on then.” Jake replied picking Me up off the ground.

“Let’s see what happens when Darryl can’t find you.” He laughed walking away.

Archived