I Lied To Protect You

Guest AvrilRP212

Chapter 27

A week later

“Hi Nate” Charlie said as he opened the door.

“I wondered if I’d ever see you again.” Nate sighed leaning against the door.

“I could say the same thing. I never got a phone number or address.” She retorted.

Nate nodded his head lightly “I know but I thought a clean break was best.”

“For who” She questioned.

“Alright I deserve that. I’m sorry.” Nate apologised. “Would you like to come in?”

“Okay, for a little while.” Charlie replied following him into the house.

“So we crashed on the road.” He said as they both sat down.

“Sorry if I damaged your truck.” She apologised.

“Do I get to hear the rest? You obviously went back but what happened? He asked curiously.

“Jake escaped from prison and… I just really don’t want to talk about it.” She sighed shaking her head.

“Well I met Brax and Ruby. They’re nice.” He said.

“Auntie Katie” Josh said shocked as he came down the stairs and saw her standing there. “Are you really here? I missed you.” He shouted running and hugging her.

“Hi Josh. You’ve really gotten bigger.” Charlie smiled at the young boy.

“Yeah Shawn is big now too and you gots a new baby.” He smiled.

“Oh my god, Katie, is it really you?” Megan asked shocked.

“Megan language” Nate exhaled as he shook his head.

“I’m not dreaming again right? You’re actually here.”

“It’s me Megan.”

“I missed you so much. Why did we have to leave? Daddy used to talk about you a lot and he didn’t bring girls home either.” She carried on.

“Megan, do you have to?” Nate moaned.

“Why didn’t you two get married? Then Shawn could have been our brother.” Josh said sitting down.

“It’s because of Shawn’s daddy, you know, the guy that stayed with us.” Megan said quietly to her brother.

“Alright you two, go watch some TV.” Nate said wanting them to leave the room before they could cause any more uncomfortable between them.

“Dinosaurs” Josh smiled running out the room.

“Oh, not your dinosaurs again” Megan sighed.

“See this is why I want him to be my brother. Cause we both love dinosaurs and we can watch it all day.” Josh muttered.

“Kids hey” Nate tried to smile.

“We did confuse them a lot with all our messing around.” Charlie smiled.

“Yeah but it was pointless because you always loved him. While we’re on the subject I’m sorry I kissed you.”

“Yeah, that was awkward. You’ll always have a special place in my heart Nate but I’ll always love Brax.”

“I know…so how do we tell my kids without them hating me.” He sighed as he looking down.

“Well whilst you’re telling them you could always mention Shawn’s birthday party in four and a half months.” She suggested.

“I guess. Does this mean I get big brother status again?”

“I think so. Well I should get going. I have Rubes waiting outside.”

“Just one more question. You said Ruby was your family, what is she exactly to do with you?” He asked already knowing the answer.

“She’s my daughter Nate.” She replied before leaving.

In Court-3 days later

“Jake Pirovic, I am sentencing you to 25 years in jail with a period of 15 before parole for the shooting of Charlotte Braxton, break and enter on two accounts, kidnap and endangerment of infants. Take him away.” The judge said.

“This is not over Braxton’s! I will have my revenge. YOU WILL PAY!” Jake screamed, as he was lead out of the courtroom.

Charlie shuddered as she watched him leave the room.

“Hey, I’m never gonna let him hurt you again.” Brax reassured her pulling her into a hug.

“It’s just…seeing him again after everything he’s done.” She mumbled as she welled up with tears.

“He’s going away now for a long time. You are safe okay. We can just get on with being a proper family again, you, me, Shawn, Selena, Rubes and Case.” He said kissing her forehead.

Later on

“Shhh baby, what’s wrong hey? You’re not hungry and your nappy’s clean so what is it?” Charlie said as she gently rocked Selena in her arms.

“Here, let me try” Brax said as he took his daughter in his arms.

“Why can’t you do that for me baby?” Charlie sighed as Brax quietened Selena in seconds.

“Don’t take it too personally; she can be like this with me sometimes as well.” Brax said trying to make her feel better.

“Such a daddy’s girl” She murmured as she watched her daughter settle to sleep in Brax’s arms.

“Mummy, Ruby and Casey took me to the park and we played on the swings and the slide and in the sand box and then we had ice-cream.” Shawn said climbing up onto her leg before carrying on explaining what he’d been doing.

“You were saying, mummy’s boy.” Brax frowned.

“Shawn” Charlie sighed pulling the little boy closer to her. “Why do you always have such bad timing?”

“No’s I don’t. We watch TV now?” Shawn asked.

“How about we play with your football outside?” Charlie suggested.

“Really, Okay. I’ll get the ball.” He laughed jumping off the sofa and running to his room.

-/-/-

“Yeah, I scored again. I like football.” Shawn smiled as he kicked the ball into the goal again.

“Okay you win Shawn.” Charlie said sitting down exhaustedly.

“Come on mummy. We not finished playing yet.” He said running over to the table for a drink.

“I think you need a better opponent buddy.” Brax laughed putting his daughter down in the car seat.

“Will you play daddy?” Shawn asked.

“Yeah mate, I think I’ll have to show you how us Braxton’s play soccer hey.”

“Alright, I guess this means we can go and find something for dinner, right baby?” Charlie said picking Selena up.

“Uh, maybe just stay away from the kitchen Charlie.” Brax said nervously.

“Why?” She asked.

“Mummy can’t cook.” Shawn shook his head.

“I meant order a pizza.”

“Okay, anything but mums cooking.”

“Shawn, that’s not nice.” Brax said sternly.

“She tried to cook dinner in Perth once. Even Sam wouldn’t eat it.” Shawn smiled as he thought about it.

“There’s plenty of other things mummy’s good at Shawn.” Brax smiled.

“Yeah, she is the bestest at being mummy. Can we take Cocoa for a walk?” he asked as the dog tried to knock the football out of his hands.

“What do you think Brax?” Charlie asked.

“I reckon we could.” He replied.

“And we can feed the ducks at the pond by the park and maybe play on the swings?” He questioned getting excited.

-/-/-

“Can I go feed them ducks now?” Shawn asked as he let Cocoa off the lead.

“Yeah, just don’t stand too close to the water.” Charlie said giving him the bag of bread as the dog went to sniff around.

“Where’s that smile for daddy?” Brax cooed as he lifted Selena out of her pram and into the air.

“Not too high Brax.” Charlie said cautiously.

“There it is there’s your gorgeous smile baby.” He carried on as she showed off her gummy smile.

“This is nice. Just the four of us going out as a family.” Charlie said as he sat Selena down on his lap.

“Five, you forgot Cocoa.” Brax smiled running his hand over his daughters hair.

“Well she’s still in the bad books for chewing up all the cushions off the sofa.” Charlie laughed.

“Shawn can’t keep anything to himself can he?” He smiled shaking his head.

“Well I brought him up to be honest.” She smirked. “Promise me this is the end of the drama.” She sighed as she moved closer to Brax.

“I hope so. For now we can just focus on Shawn and Selena.” He said before kissing her.

“I love you Brax.”

“I love you too Charlotte.” He laughed knowing how much she hated him calling her that.

“And me too daddy?” Shawn questioned sitting down on Charlie’s lap.

“Yeah, you too Shawn.”

“And Selena and Cocoa?” He questioned pointing at his sister and then at the dog.

“Yep, I love all of you.”

“That’s good daddy, cause me and Selena love you and mummy too.” Shawn smiled.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comment ~JarlieFanEver~

Chapter 28

“Come on Selena, you can do it.” Shawn smiled as he encouraged his sister to crawl. “You just lift off your tummy and move your legs, like this.” He carried on getting down next to her.

“What are you doing Shawn?” Brax asked.

“Teaching Selena to crawl” Shawn said obviously.

“She won’t be crawling for a couple of months yet.” Brax smiled at his son as he went to pick his daughter up. “Whose birthday is it today princess? It’s Shawn’s birthday, isn’t it?”

“We’re gonna have lots of nice stuff to day cause it’s my birthday. Ice cream and cake, your favwits” Shawn giggled before climbing on the sofa.

Selena gurgled and laughed as Brax made silly faces at her.

“Shawn sweetie, you’re still in you PJ’s.” Charlie sighed as she went round the room packing all the toys away. “You have a party in 2 hours.”

“Oh, nice one” Brax sighed as Selena threw up on him.

“I’ve told you not to wave her around just after breakfast” Charlie exhaled.

“Don’t worry Selena, this means we can go and put some more clothes on.” he laughed as he walked out the room.

“Daddy’s silly” Shawn smiled shaking his head.

“No…he’s cute, just like Shawny. My little guys four today”

“Yep I’m a big boy now.”

“Shawn stay little and cute forever”

“I can’t cause I gotta grow up one day”

“Well don’t be a moody teenager then”

“Okay”

“Now go get some different clothes on.”

-/-/-/

“Hello birthday boy.” Bianca smiled

“Bianca I’m four now. That means daddy’s gonna teach me how to surf.”

“Aren’t you lucky?”

“Here you go” Isobel smiled handing Shawn a present.

“And this ones from me” Ash said giving him his present.

“Thanks guys. Come on Daddy has lots of stuff outside. A bouncy castle and a paddling pool and a waterslide, and then we’re having pizza and ice-cream and cake.” Shawn carried on as they walked outside.

“Wow, all that for the kids. I might actually be jealous.” Bianca laughed.

“Yeah, Brax sat down with Shawn and told him he could do anything today he wanted. Except that would actually be going to a horse ranch…which I think we’re doing next weekend”

“Talk about spoiling a kid. So who else is coming today?”

“Just some other kids, I had to stop him from inviting the whole class.”

“So are us adults gonna do anything or can I go and have a turn on that bouncy castle?”

“Where did they get the water guns from?” Liam asked coming back into the house soaked.

“Brax thought it would be fun.”

“Daddy come back.” Ash said pulling Liam outside.

“Well I want one of those water guns at least.” Bianca smirked as they went outside.

“George got me a present mummy and so did Patrick and TJ.” Shawn smiled as he put two presents in her hand before running off again to play.

“So how’s the barbecue going?” Charlie asked wrapping her arms around Brax.

“Why did I agree to a barbecue with water guns?” He questioned turning around to kiss her.

“Cause the kids have you wrapped round their finger maybe.” She smiled as two of the kids ran past screaming and laughing.

“Ah, well at least Shawn’s having fun.”

“Josh, Megan!” Shawn screamed as the two older kids walked into the yard.

“Surprise mate.” Nate laughed as Shawn ran up to them.

“This is like the best birthday ever!” Shawn squealed.

“Happy birthday Buddy.” Josh smiled as he hugged Shawn before giving him the present.

“There’s something in there from all of us.” Megan smiled.

“Come on, I want you to meet my other friends.” Shawn said leading them over to the others.

“So that’s Nate?” Bianca questioned Charlie as he went over to the other guys.

“Yep, that’s Nate.” Charlie replied.

“Well, he’s cute.” She smiled.

“I was under the impression you were married Bianca Murphy.” Charlie said shocked.

“Well there is nothing wrong with us talking about a guy who we aren’t married to.” Bianca grinned.

“I missed you a lot Bianca.” Charlie said. “So what’s going on in your life, other than checking out other guys?”

“Well courtesy of your adorably cute daughter, me and Liam have been talking about having another baby.” Bianca admitted.

“Seriously”

“Well the kids seem okay with the idea so yeah.”

“Well I’m happy for you.”

“So no more kids for you?”

“I don’t think so. I’m happy with three.”

-/-/-

“So Nate, these are my brother’s Heath and Casey. And this is Angelo, Romeo and Liam.” Brax introduced everyone.

“Wait as in Liam Murphy?” Nate asked shocked.

“Yeah that’s me.” Liam laughed.

“I’m a big fan.” Nate explained.

“Well it’s good to meet you Nate.” Liam smiled before they turned back to the group.

“Nup bro, sticking to my bachelor life” Heath replied.

“What’s that?” Liam asked curiously.

“Heath ain’t ready to settle down yet.” Casey said. “You really should start thinking about it; I mean you’re not young anymore.”

“Thanks Case.” Heath sighed. “So what about you and Rubes ay Case” Heath asked.

“We’re still young Heath. Don’t need to worry about that yet.” Casey exhaled.

-/-/-

“Happy birthday to Shawn happy birthday to you” Everyone sang before Shawn blew out the candles.

“What you wish for?” TJ asked.

“Nothing Todd, I’ve got everything I ever wish for.” Shawn smiled. “But I would like some cake.” He grinned looking up at Brax.

“Coming right up mate” Brax said cutting the cake up.

“Mummy, hows long till our bwrthdays?” Patrick asked.

“You turned three two months ago.” Indi said. “You still have another year to wait.”

“A whole year?” TJ asked sadly.

“It’ll be over in no time mate.” Romeo smiled. “Now how about we get some of that ice cream?” He said looking over at the table full of deserts.

“Okay daddy.” Both of the boys replied getting up to follow him.

“He’s so good with them.” Indi smiled watching her husband fill up two boys with everything they pointed to.

“I still can’t believe you had identical twins. And they’re so adorable.” Ruby smiled.

“So you thought about having kids?” Indi asked.

After Romeo and Indi had salvaged their marriage, got back on track and had the twins Indi and Ruby began to build a friendship.

“One day, but for now I just want to enjoy my job and being with Case.” She replied.

“Hello kids.” Dex said theatrically as he walked into the garden. After an intense amount of bribing, he had agreed to entertain the children for a couple of hours. Brax’s attempt at calming them down after all the running around.

“Alright, so I’m going to be doing some magic for you guys.” Dex said standing up in front of the table all the kids were sitting at as April went to sit down with the other girls.

“This is not going to go well.” She said to Ruby and Indi as she took a seat.

“This is Dex you’re talking about. At least he should get them laughing.” Ruby said.

“First the disappearing coin” Dex said before waving his hands around quite madly. “Now birthday boy, which hand has the coin?” He asked holding both his closed hands out.

“Um, this is one.” Shawn guessed pointing to Dex’s right hand.

“Ah, sorry no coin.” Dex said opening that hand.

“Then it has to be this one.” Shawn decided pointing to the other one.

“It’s gone.” Dex said opening his next hand as the coin dropped out.

“There it is. There it is.” Patrick shouted.

“Oh, well that wasn’t supposed to happen.” Dex muttered bending down to retrieve the coin as all the adults laughed.

-/-/-

“Lastly, hoping that this one will work I will pull a rabbit out of this ordinary hat. Abracadabra…” Dex carried on saying a whole load of ‘magical’ words.

“Uncle Dex, hurry up.” TJ said bored.

“Todd Junior, I have to say all the magic words before the rabbit will appear.” Dex said putting his hands on his hips. “And ta da” He finished holding a white rabbit up. “Here you go birthday boy.” He smiled handing the rabbit to Shawn.

“Oh cool. Do you think you could pull out a snake and a horse…ooh can you pull out a dinosaur?” Shawn asked excited.

“Nope, I only do rabbits kid. End of show, carry on amusing yourselves.” Dex sighed sitting down by April as the kids fussed over the rabbit. “Never happening again, I’m sticking with patients.”

“Aww you were okay Dex.” April smiled as she kissed him.

“Mummy, daddy. Dex pulled me a rabbit.” Shawn said excitedly as he showed them his new pet.

“Aren’t you a lucky boy ay?” Brax smiled. “I’m guessing you’ll be needing this.” He said handing him the cage.

“Thank you daddy” Shawn grinned.

“Mummy I want a rabbit too.” Isobel demanded as she ran over to Bianca.

“I don’t think so Isobel.” She replied.

“Daddy I want a rabbit, please?” Isobel said to Liam using her puppy dog eyes.

“Aww, of course daddy will get you a rabbit princess.” Liam said.

“I want a dog daddy.” Ash said using the same face as his sister.

“Well we’ll have to think about it.” Liam told him noticing the glare his wife was giving him from across the garden.

“But Isobel gets a rabbit and Shawn has a dog and a rabbit. It’s not fair.”

“Braxton, stop giving your kid everything, some of us can’t afford our kids being jealous.” Liam said to Brax.

“I gots an idea” Shawn whispered to the other kids.

“Yep this is gonna be funny.” Darcy laughed as she went along with their plan.

-/-/-

“Reach for the sky” Ash shouted as he held up his water gun which was very full.

“Yeah hands up mummies and daddies.” George added.

“Um since we don’t fall into that category, we’ll just be leaving.” Dex said as he, April, Ruby and Casey got up.

“And Sisters, Uncles and Aunties” Shawn added.

“Get them.” Darcy laughed as all the kids started spraying the adults with water.

There was lots of laughing and screaming as everyone either wet someone else or got wet themselves and then Shawn and Ash managed to push Brax over into the paddling pool. By then some of the adults had got water guns off the children and were chasing them round the garden and Bianca and Charlie had gotten hold of the hose.

“Alright everyone stop.” Brax shouted as he got out of the paddling pool completely soaked.

Everyone froze and turned around to him as he walked over to the hose and grabbed it off them.

“Okay, carry on again.” He laughed as he commenced in soaking everyone.

-/-/-

“Bestest birthday ever” Shawn laughed as they sat now dry and clean ready for bed.

“I’m sure the water bill is going to say otherwise, but it was a good day Shawn.” Brax smiled as he sat down on the sofa.

“It was funniest when we pushed you in the pool. Oh and you wet mummy and Bianca with the hose. That was cool.” Shawn giggled. Thank you daddy” He said hugging him.

“So what’s your rabbit called?” Brax asked as Shawn sat down next to him again.

“I’ll call him bugs bunny. Bugs for short”

“Selena is a asleep, and hopefully won’t be ready for another feed for at least 5 hours.” Charlie said coming downstairs. “Which you will be doing by the way Darryl”

“Ooh she called you Darryl. Yous in trouble now daddy” Shawn grinned.

“Isn’t it past your bedtime Shawn?” Brax questioned.

“I need a story first silly.” He said standing up.

“I thought you could read yourself?”

“But someone else have to read at night cause I sleepy.” Shawn replied yawning.

“Come on then.” Brax said lifting him up before they walked up the stairs and into his room.

“So who’s going to read tonight?” Brax questioned as Shawn got settled in his bed.

“You’s do it together and make it up. I like’s those stories best”

10 minutes later, after listening to the adventure of ‘Marcus the Stegosaurus’ escaping from ‘Rexy the Tyrannosaurus Rex’, Shawn was fast asleep. Brax pulled the blanket up over his son before getting up and following Charlie out to their room.

“So why am I being called Darryl again?” He questioned as he lay down on the bed.

“You know why. That water was cold.” She said slightly angry.

“Um, who helped our son push me into a paddling pool?”

“The whole water themed party was your idea.”

“Yeah, but try and tell me you didn’t enjoy yourself.”

“You’re lucky I love you.” She sighed getting into bed next to him.

“Luck had nothing to do with it.” He smirked. “It’s all in the charm.”

“You’re still getting up for Selena.” This time she smirked.

Chapter 29

4 months later

“Hey kid, what you doing.” A man questioned as Shawn put three earthworms on the bench as he bent down to dig for some more.

“I sees you here before.” Shawn questioned as he walked up to the man sitting on the bench.

“It’s a nice place to sit.” The man answered gruffly. “I’m Danny,” He said holding his hand out at the boy who looked strangely familiar.

“Uh, my mummy says I’m not allowed to talk to strangers.” Shawn said looking over at where Charlie and Bianca were sitting down talking.

“Well you know my name so I’m not a stranger anymore.” Danny smiled.

“Okay I’s Shawn Braxton.” He smiled.

“Braxton ay. Whose boy are you?”

“Uh, what do you mean?”

“Whose your dad?”

“Well everyone calls him Brax but I gots his name as my middle name and it’s Dawyl.”

“Shawn, who are you talking to?” Charlie asked walking over. “Come on, back over where I can see you.”

“He’s Danny and he’s my new friend.” Shawn announced.

“So you must be Charlie then.” Danny said a smile playing on his face.

“How do you know my name?” She asked holding her son closer to her.

“I know Jake Pirovic.” He smiled.

“Okay Shawn we’re going.” Charlie said backing away from the man.

“And if you’re married to Darryl, well I guess that makes me your father-in-law.” He said.

“You daddy’s daddy?” Shawn asked looking over the man again.

“And you’re my grandson ay? You do look a lot like Darryl.” He sighed.

“I thought you were in jail.” Charlie questioned him.

“Oh I was, up until last week actually. Got talkin’ to Jake before I got out. He told me quite a story.”

“What kinda story?” Shawn asked curiously.

“My boy with a pig ay never would have imagined it.”

“That’s nasty. Mummy’s not a pig.” Shawn said angrily.

“Come on sweetie, we’re going to get some ice cream.” Charlie said leading him away from Danny.

“Jake send’s his regards and asked me to tell you ‘it’s not over, not by a long shot,’” He shouted as they made their way back to Bianca.

“Who’s he?” Bianca questioned as she noticed her friends worried face.

“He’s daddy’s dad. I’s no like him. He call mummy a pig.” Shawn said bending down into the tray of Selena’s pram to grab his school bag from where he’d stuffed it earlier.

“I’ll race you Shawn.” Ash said coming over to him.

“You’re on.” Shawn laughed as they both broke into a run towards Angelo’s.

“Be careful boys.” Bianca sighed as Isobel stood next to her. “That’s their dad?” She asked taking another look at the man as Charlie nodded.

“He said he’d talked to Jake in prison.” She said worried.

“Hey, Jake’s not coming out anytime soon okay. Does anyone know why Braxton was in jail?”

“Brax mentioned something about a robbery once.”

-/-/-

“Hi daddy” Shawn smiled out of breathe as he and Ash ran into the restaurant.

“What you doing here buddy?” Brax asked coming out from behind the bar.

“Mummy says I can have ice-cream.”

“Ice-cream, ice-cream.” Ash nodded tiredly.

“I thought we told you to slow down.” Bianca said as they walked in.

“Can I have ice-cream too mummy” Ash pestered running over to her.

“Yeah, and me too” Isobel added.

“I guess so.” Bianca smiled as the children sat down.

“I’ll see what I can find.” Brax replied before getting down in front of Selena’s pram. “How’s my little princess ay?” He asked.

“Dadda” She smiled at him.

“Did she just?” Bianca asked.

“She spoke.” Charlie smiled.

“And look what she said.” Brax gushed undoing her pram harness before picking her up.

“Daddadada” She gurgled.

“That’s my girl.” Brax laughed looking over at Charlie. “Aww you making mummy feel left out. You can say mumma now baby.”

“It’s not that.” Charlie mumbled.

“Then what’s wrong?” He asked putting Selena back into the pram.

“Ooh daddy, I’s meet yous dad today. He says nasty things to mummy.” Shawn said.

“What?” Brax asked wondering if he’d heard right. “Where?” He questioned getting angry. “Was it at the park?” He asked louder.

No one said anything, which Brax assumed meant yes. He stormed out of Angelo’s angrily.

“Can you watch them?” Charlie asked Bianca. Her friend nodded before Charlie went after Brax.

Why does something always have to happen? Bianca sighed as she went over to order something for the kids before sitting down at the table with them.

-/-/-

“Brax wait. Slow down.” Charlie said following him.

“No, he can’t just waltz back into my life now and start insulting my wife in front of our son.” He said as he saw his father still sitting in the park.

“Ahh, you run straight back to tell your husband.” Danny taunted. “Never thought you’d settle down son, least of all with a copper”

“Actually it was my 4 year old son that told me.” Brax said fuming.

“So Darryl, how you been?” He asked casually.

“You lost your right to ask me anything about my life when you walked away from us and pulled that stupid robbery.” Brax shouted.

“Still holding onto that I see, come on it’s been what 20 years now.” He sighed.

“23 years since you left me to look after mum, Heath and Case” Brax said sadly with a hint of anger in his voice. “How’d you know I was still living here?” He asked.

“It’s a small town Darryl, all you have to do is act friendly with the locals. You find out everything.” He smirked.

“So what do you want?”

“Is it so wrong to want to know my son’s?”

“Yeah it is, when you’ve got an ulterior motive going on. Stay away from my brothers and my family.” Brax growled. “Or I will kill you.” He added threateningly.

“We both know you don’t have it in ya to kill someone Darryl. I’d be more worried if the threat came from your wife over there. Heard she took out Jake’s brother”

“Stay away from us.” Brax shouted before turning around and walking away.

-/-/-

“Can I’s have more please?” Shawn asked as he finished licking his bowl out.

“I don’t think so mister.” Bianca replied.

“Ohh, but mummy lets me have more ice-cream.” Shawn begged.

“Well it’s a shame she’s not here then.” She said.

“It’s not gonna happen Shawn. You want to try out my DS?” Ash asked getting it out of his bag.

“Okay.” Shawn replied.

“Hello Shawn.” Cheryl said walking in. “And hello Selena.” She added looking down into the pram.

“Hello Nana Cheryl.” Shawn said not looking up from the DS.

“Where’s Darryl?” She asked looking around.

“He’s gone, to tell his daddy off.” Shawn said looking up at her.

“Where’s he gone?” Cheryl asked shocked.

“…make sure you stay away from him.” Brax said loudly as he stormed back into Angelo’s, with Charlie following him.

“Your boys been saying your dad’s out of the lock-up.” Cheryl said.

“Well, all we need now is Heath and Casey and we’ll have a real reunion.” Danny smirked stopping at the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 30

Thanks for the comments.

“Hey Bianca, Hey Shawn” Ruby smiled walking into Angelo’s. “And hello cutest little sister.” She said bending down in front of the pram.

“It’s very empty in here. Considering its lunch time on Saturday” Casey said looking around.

“I don’t blame them all for leaving.” Bianca sighed, as there was a crashing sound from the kitchen and then more shouting.

“What is going on in there?” Ruby asked standing up.

“Danny, don’t you dare walk away from me again.” Cheryl shouted running out of the kitchen after Danny as he stormed out.

“Dad?” Casey mumbled as his parents left the room.

“Someone please explain.” Ruby said confused.

-/-/-

Later at Angelo’s

“Maybe he’s changed.” Heath said not looking at Brax.

“Changed? He put you in hospital Heath, with a broken arm.” Brax reminded him as Heath sighed. “He’s a dog okay. We don’t need him in our lives.” Brax finished before walking back into the kitchen.

Heath and Casey sat in silence for a few moments before Casey spoke.

“I think we need to see him ourselves.” He said quietly so Brax wouldn’t hear.

“I know.” Heath replied.

-/-/-

Brax and Charlie sat on the sofa watching as Shawn and Selena sat on the floor playing together.

“What was it like? Growing up with him?”

Brax carried on looking at his children as he remembered his childhood. He sighed before turning to face her. “Messed up I guess. It was the best day of our lives when the cops came and took him. I was 17 when he went away. He used to hit us and mum. Heath was in hospital a few times, it was hell when Danny was around. That’s what the River boys was all about. We came from tough lives, we weren’t a gang, we were a family.” He explained. “I’m going to get ready for work.” He said getting up and walking upstairs.

“Why is daddy sad?” Shawn asked climbing up on the sofa next to Charlie.

“Dadda” Selena gurgled crawling over to the sofa before pulling herself up so she was standing against it.

“He’s not sad sweetie.” Charlie sighed ruffling his hair.

“But he’s not happy. Is it cause of the scary man?”

“It’s not for you to worry about.”

“Is you worried?”

“No buddy. Now how about we get back to building this castle.” She said sitting down on the floor with them.

“Okay, but you gots to move Selena or she’ll break it again.” Shawn exhaled still thinking about Danny.

-/-/-

“Why does Brax hate Danny so much?” Ruby asked as Casey as they sat down on the beach.

“I really don’t know Rubes. He’s always told me that dad was a dog and we didn’t need him in our lives.”

“What do you think of him?”

“I don’t remember much of him. I remember that he was tall and when he came home the walls would shake and I remember feeling scared.” He explained looking towards the sea. “I remember being down here on the beach, one night I slept down here. Brax was here too.”

“You’re going to see him, aren’t you?” She asked.

“I have to Rubes. I don’t know why but…”

“I know. It’s hard to explain, because despite what everyone else has said about him, you just have to find out for yourself.”

-/-/-

“I wondered when I’d be seeing you two.” Danny smirked not looking up from the TV as Heath and Casey walked into to the house.

“What are you doing here?” Heath asked.

“I live here.” He replied taking a mouthful of beer.

“When was the last time you paid rent?” Heath questioned.

“You all have smart mouths you know. Must have got it from your mum, so how you been boys?”

“Why’d you do it? Pull that robbery and leave us.” Casey asked.

“For the same reason I was dealing, for the same reason you started dealing. Wanted some easy cash” He admitted.

“You know how dumb that sounds.” Heath said sadly.

“Well son, the apple didn’t fall far from the tree with you. You’ve been dealing, you’ve been to jail.”

“Yeah, what I did was stupid but I grew up. You already had a family and you were stupid enough to risk everything you had for money.”

“I’m you old man, don’t call me stupid Heath.” Danny warned him standing up.

“Are you really here to get to know us? So we can be a family again?” Casey asked.

Naïve was the first word that jumped into Danny’s head as he heard his youngest son’s words. He didn’t want to lie to his son; after all, he really did want that. Want his family back. But with the threat hanging over his head and $50,000 not likely to appear out of thin air, he needed his boys on side.

“Yeah Case. That’s all I want mate.” Danny said trying his best to sound genuine.

And exactly as he thought, his two son’s fell for it, and just like that he almost had his family back.

-/-/-

“I’m sorry for running out on you all those years ago Darryl. I didn’t realise how good I really had it.”

“You were always angry, always beating someone up.”

“I’m not getting any younger son; I want to know by boys and by the looks of it, my grandchildren.”

“I don’t want you anywhere near my kids. I don’t trust you to be around them and not treat them the same way you did us. I don’t know why I’m even here talking to you.”

“You’re here cause I’m your dad”

“Nah, you’re not. Dads are supposed to look after their kids, and you didn’t. I looked after my brothers, I paid every debt mum had and I’ve dealt with the fact that around here the Braxton name is scum. And it’s all your fault.”

“Well I’m sorry you feel that way Darryl. But I meant what I said. I’m here to get to know my family and I’m not going anywhere.” Danny finished walking away from the beach. He walked further and further up only to have three guys group together and push him down.

“You Danny Braxton?” Jamie asked.

“Course he is. He’s got the tats.” Jett muttered.

“Who’s asking?” Danny replied getting up off the ground.

“Jay wants his money. He said he’s waited long enough.” Jamie repeated his leader’s words.

“I’m working on it. I’ve only been out for a few days.” Danny said getting worried.

“He also said that the longer you take, the longer the danger for your family.” Jamie carried on, a smirk appearing on his face.

“I’m sure you don’t want anything bad to happen to those sons of yours, or their spawn.” Tyler said, joining in.

“Leave them out of this. They didn’t do anything.” Danny said angrily.

“It would be a shame if an awful accident occurred. How would you deal with your guilt?” Jamie sneered.

“$50,000 by the end of the week” Tyler told him.

“Or accidents will happen.” Jett finished before the three guys backed away and walked off leaving Danny to wonder what he was going to do.

-/-/-

Danny watched through the door as Charlie played with her two children on the floor. Brax wouldn’t be back for a while. He had to check if it was here. Before he asked Brax. He was pretty sure that Brax knew where the money was but on the off chance that he didn’t, his cover was blown. How could he protect his family if they didn’t want him near them?

“It be Christmas soon.” Shawn smiled as he played with his dinosaurs inside the castle. “Selena’s first Christmas.”

“What are we going to get her for Christmas?”

“Baby toys. Like we’s see at them shops. You’ll like Christmas Selena, Santa comes and leaves loads of presents, and we have sweets and chocolates, and loads of nice food. Right mummy?”

“Yeah, but I’m not sure about all these sweets and chocolates.”

“Mumma.” Selena smiled as she looked up at Charlie from where she was sitting.

“Yay, you’s said it.” Shawn giggled.

“That’s my clever girl.” Charlie smiled picking her up.

“I thinks we need ice cream. Ice cream Selena?” He asked his little sister.

Selena just smiled.

“That means yes mummy. Ice Cream.” Shawn shouted running into the kitchen.

“You’ll look like ice cream soon.” Charlie muttered putting Selena down before standing up.

“Ahh mummy, mummy.” Shawn shouted running back into the sitting room and hiding behind the sofa.

“What’s wrong Shawn?” She asked.

“It’s the scary man. He outside. He looking through the window.” Shawn replied.

Chapter 31

Thank you for the comment ~JarlieFanEver~

“That’s not a nice thing to call your granddad.” Danny sighed pushing the door open.

“What are you doing here?” Charlie asked suspiciously. She didn’t trust him anymore than Brax did, especially after what he’d said about Jake.

“Thought I’d come and say hi.” He lied looking around. “Nice place you got here. Still can’t believe he’s settled down.”

“What do you want?”

“Uh, well, I think Darryl has something of mine. A box, has some important stuff in.”

“Dadda” Selena gurgled crawling over to Danny.

“Hello cutie.” He smiled picking her up.

“Put her down.” She said worried.

“Why? She’s fine with me. Where would he put something like that ay?”

“I don’t know.”

“Don’t lie to me. You’ve been with him for some time and you’re his wife.” He said threateningly.

“Why is this so important?”

“I owe a guy something from in there. And if I don’t get it to him everyone is in danger so just tell me where it is.” He shouted upsetting Selena.

“It could be in our room.”

“Which room?”

“Upstairs, last door on the right” She said as he gave her Selena. He walked up the stairs quickly before going into the room and searching.

“He angry, and he shouteded” Shawn said coming out from behind the sofa.

“Get the Car keys sweetie.” She said shaken as she went to pack a few things for Selena in a bag.

“Here’s they is.” He said coming back into the room with them.

“Come on.” She said to him as they left the house.

-/-/-

“Hello.” Brax called as he walked into the house that afternoon. “Charlie” He said. However, he was met with the person he least of all wanted to see.

“She’s not here Darryl.” Danny spoke walking into the hallway.

“How’d you get in?” Brax questioned.

“Well, she was here, then she left. Where is it son?”

“Where’s what?”

“You f***in’ know what. What I got sent to the locker for. Where’s the money?”

“It’s not here.”

“Yeah, I figured as much when I found the box containing everything but the money. Where is it?”

“It’s gone. How did you think we got by? That money kept us alive.”

“You idiot. All that money’s done for you is prepare for the slaughter.”

“What’s so important about this money?”

“Nothing. Just forget about it. I just thought I’d at least get some of what I went down for.”

“Is that it? You’re upset cause I kept my family alive? Get out!”

Danny shrugged as he walked out of the house. It was over; he was going to pay for the stupid loan he’d stupidly taken. He picked up his mobile and dialled the one number he couldn’t seem to erase from his mind.

“Jett, I can’t get the money.” He sighed.

“Wrong answer Braxton. Jay is not gonna be happy.”

“Tell him he can have me. Just leave my family out of this. They don’t even know about the loan. They’re all innocent in this.”

“But that wouldn’t hurt you. And you can be assured that’s all Jay wants to do. Make you suffer.” Jett finished hanging up the phone.

-/-/-

“Are you Cheryl Braxton?” Tyler asked as she walked into the house.

“What you doing in here? Who’s asking?” She asked putting her bag down and eye the young man.

“I’ll take that as a yes. If you want to keep your family safe then I want you to organise a little family trip. Just you, your husband, your boys and their girls. There’s this place just out of town near the woods you could say. Get them all to come and your kids and grandkids may all sleep soundly tonight. Tell no one of my visit.” He said before walking towards the door.

“What if I can’t persuade them?” She asked desperately. There was no way she could get Danny and Darryl in the space as each other for more than a minute.

“All of you are going away for this weekend and if that don’t happen…then someone will get hurt.” He said as honestly and sincerely as possible.

-/-/-

“Finally. Where’ve you been?” Brax asked as they came through the door.

“We’s went to the park and then to the shops.” Shawn smiled bouncing up and down.

“What happened? Danny was here. Why didn’t you call me?”

“I tried. He was looking for something.”

“Yeah” He sighed shaking his head. “The 50K he stole in the armed robbery he got sent down for.”

“So he’s got the money now?”

“Nah, none of its left. I found it soon after he was put away and I spent it on rent and food. And then eventually my first crop.” He said looking at the ground.

“I can bet he wasn’t happy to hear that.”

“Nope, but I did what I had to do for mum and Heath and Case.”

“Time for dinner now” Shawn asked. “Pizza”

“Buddy, we can’t have pizza every night.”

“But we can cause yous make them every day at Angelo’s.” He said obviously.

“What daddy means to say is that it’s not healthy to eat pizza every day and night.”

“But we’s just eat Pizza and Ice-cream every day.”

“I don’t think so ay. Now you go get washed with Selena and Mummy and daddy will make some dinner.”

“Okay.” Shawn sighed trudging up the stairs. “But when I’s older I’s will only evers eat Pizza and Ice-Cream.”

-/-/-

“So I’m guessing you haven’t heard what’s going on yet.” Heath said walking behind the bar at Angelo’s and taking a beer out the fridge.

“What? Why?”

“Cause you’re in a good mood. And since dad’s been back you being in a good mood isn’t often.”

“Why wouldn’t I be in a good mood?”

“Mum’s organised this weekend for the family. Dad’s coming and she’s ordered that us three and our girls as she put it get ready and she wants doesn’t want the kids coming.”

“She’s got to be kidding me.”

“Well her and the old man are back on. Walked in on a scene yesterday. She says it’s so we can reconnect with dad.”

“The only thing that’s going to connect with him is my fist. He was round my place the other day, him and his temper, looking for the money.”

“You didn’t tell him we spent it.”

“Yeah, I told him. Wasn’t too happy about it either.” Brax replied.

“Great, well this weekend and find someone to watch the kids.” He said before walking out.

“Hey Heath. Who you bringing?”

“It’s a surprise.” He called back.

Next time:

Jay carries out his threat against the Braxton’s and in the cross fire everyone gets separated in the Bush.

Archived