I Lied To Protect You

Guest AvrilRP212

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 12

Thank you ~JarlieFanEver~ for the comment. Don’t worry Jake’s not going to ruin the ceremony. He now prefers to act slowly and think things through.

I think I kinda rushed this chapter but I had writers block. So hope this one’s okay.

“I can’t believe that whole week went by just like that.” Brax said sadly, as they stood in the airport car park waiting for the others.

“That’s probably because we never left the hotel room.” She said smiling as she remembered the last week. It had been fun but she couldn’t wait to see Shawn and Ruby again. “And I know you really want to go surfing.”

“Well who wouldn’t want to go surfing in Hawaii?”

“Um…me.” She replied laughing.

“Alright, I guess we can find something else to do.” Brax said as Casey, Ruby and Shawn walked over.

“Wow this place is so cool.” Ruby said looking around in amazement.

“Uh…Rubes this is just the airport.” Shawn said bored and tired.

“Well it’s a good thing we’re going straight to the beach then.” Brax said picking Shawn up.

“There’s a perfectly good beach back in Australia.” Casey said tiredly.

“Not a beach like this Case. I think you’ll find that 10 hour flight worth it.”

“It better be good daddy cause I hate flying.” Shawn said.

“I’ll even throw in a big ice-cream.” Brax said laughing.

“Ice-cream.” Shawn said shooting his head up and looking very much awake.

“I cannot believe you’ve been living here for the last week.” Ruby exclaimed looking around as they drove back to the hotel.

“Not that we saw much of it.” Brax said quietly.

“Alright I really did not need to hear that.” Ruby said.

“You had fun with Rubes and Case looking after you?” Charlie asked Shawn.

“Yeah. They let me eat all this chocolate ice-cream before bed and we had pizza for dinner every night and we stay up till 10 o’clock!”

“Oh really?” Charlie said looking at Ruby and Casey.

“Dude, we told you not to tell your mum.” Casey whispered sensing oncoming trouble.

“Oh, I forgot.” Shawn said putting his hands over his mouth to stop himself from saying anymore.

“And that’s the last time they leave you with us.” Ruby said ruffling his hair.

“Well, at least you didn’t tell them that we broke the…” Casey started before he realised he was saying it out loud.

“Broke what?” Charlie asked.

“Casey Braxton!” Ruby said.

“Say nothing. Deny all.” Shawn said smiling guiltily.

“Just love going on holiday.” Brax said still smiling.

Next day

“So what do you want to do?” Brax asked as they sat down to eat breakfast.

“I wanna swim with the dolphins.” Shawn said.

“Dolphins?” Brax asked thinking about it.

“Dolphins dad. You know the mammals that have blowholes and swim in the ocean?”

“I know what a dolphin is Shawn. I just don’t know why you’d want to swim with them.”

“Because they is cool.”

“I thought dinosaurs were cool?”

“Daddy, the dinosaurs are dead. And even if they weren’t, I can’t go and swim with them because my favwit ones don’t swim.”

“Just let him go swim with the dolphins.” Casey said. “Before he insults your animal knowledge anymore.”

“So it wasn’t too much of us to expect you to look after Shawn?” Charlie asked.

“Course not. It was actually alright until…”

“Until the event happened in which you broke something.”

“Alright, you didn’t tell me about the chocolate cake and then Casey was playing with him and then, smash went everything on the cupboard.”

“Everything?”

“Everything.” Ruby confirmed.

“Oh well. These things happen. Which cupboard are we talking about?”

“Defiantly not the one with that crystal vase on it.”

“Ruby Buckton! How could you let him eat the chocolate cake? How many times do I have to tell people, chocolate makes him hyperactive? But these things happen so I’m going to let you off-for these two weeks at least.”

“Is that it? I thought I was dead for sure.”

“You have no idea how much I missed you for those 4 years. And I’m proud of you. Getting on with your life and going to Uni. I’m just sorry they made you make that decision.”

“It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. And I was a mess afterwards, for ages. So does this mean I get to babysit my brother again?”

“I’ll think about it.”

2 weeks later

“It’s good to finally be home.” Charlie said walking into the house.

Brax walked past her and into Shawn’s room, putting him to bed.

“It was good.” Brax replied walking back out.

“Yeah, but now we go back to everyday life and my current dilemma of finding a job.”

“Charlie you don’t need a job.”

“Yes I do. I’m not used to all this free time.”

“We could fix that, without you having to get a job.”

“What are you talking about?” She asked confused.

“Well I never actually got to see Shawn as a baby and I was thinking…”

“We just got home from our honeymoon and extended holiday and you’re already thinking about kids?”

“Well, I always wanted lots of kids and it would solve your current situation. It’s not a problem, is it?”

“No, I was just anticipating we would have this conversation like in quite a few months from now.”

“It’d probably take a few months anyway.”

“Not with my history. Ruby and Shawn were both one night, unplanned.”

“Pretty please Charlie.”

“Come on then.” She said getting up.

“Where are we going?”

“Well Brax, babies don’t just appear.”

“Are you serious?” He asked grinning. Since I’m on a roll maybe a new car or a new TV?” he suggested following her upstairs.

“Don’t push your luck.” She said kissing him softly.

1 week later

“You okay Charlie?” Brax asked as he heard her retching.

He rushed into the bathroom as she stood up shakily.

“I’m fine…what are you doing home?”

“I brought some lunch, but I don’t think you’ll want it now.” He replied as they walked back out to the kitchen.

“Do you mind picking up Shawn for me?” She asked sitting down.

“Course not…I’ll look after him for the rest of the day if you want?” He suggested.

“Okay. I might just get some sleep.”

Couple of hours later

“Hello…Charlie?” Bianca called from outside.

“Bianca?” Charlie said getting out of bed and walking into the kitchen and opening the door.

“Hey…you don’t look so good.” Bianca said coming in.

“Thanks.” Charlie replied sitting down. “So what brings you over here?”

“Brax said you weren’t feeling well so I thought I’d come and see how you were.”

“Great, he’s worrying about me.”

“Should he be?”

“No everything’s fine.” She said trying to smile.

“Are you going to explain…” she started as Charlie jumped up and ran to the toilet.

Bianca followed her, held back Charlie’s hair, and rubbed her back as she continued to get sick for a few more minutes before she sat leaning against the wall next to the toilet.

“Are you okay?” Bianca asked.

“Yeah, I was just hoping my lunch would stay down.” Charlie replied.

“OMG are you not telling me something?” Bianca asked.

“Nothing I can think of.”

“Well maybe you’d like to start with the pregnancy test sitting on the sink.”

“I meant to move that.” Charlie said getting up.

“Well…are you?”

“I don’t know. I did it, then I felt dizzy and went to lie down for a couple of minutes, and I must have fallen asleep.”

“Do you want me to check it?”

Charlie nodded, already guessing what it said. Bianca looked at it and then turned it around to show Charlie. The two red lines stared back at her.

Later

“Mummy we brought some dinner home.” Shawn said running into the house.

“Slow down Shawn.” Brax said locking the car and walking in.

“Shhh daddy, mummy’s sleeping.” Shawn said pointing into the front room where Charlie was asleep on the sofa.

“I wasn’t making any noise mate.”

“Daddy can we watch TV whilst we eat dinner?” Shawn asked.

“Yeah let me just put mummy to bed.” Brax said getting up and walking over to her. He picked her up, carried her upstairs to their bedroom, and laid her on their bed.

“So what are we going to watch Shawn?” Brax asked walking back into the kitchen to dish their food up. “And don’t even think about saying ‘The Land Before Time’ because I really can’t watch anymore of those.”

“I know what daddy.” Shawn replied grinning.

“Alright what’s this?” Brax asked sitting down with his dinner.

“Ice Age Dawn of the…”

“Dinosaurs?” Brax asked.

“Yeah that’s right. How did you guess?”

“It was a very lucky guess. This better be worth watching mate.” Brax sighed pressing play.

Next morning

“Morning sleepyhead.” Brax said smiling as Charlie woke up.

“What time is it?” She asked yawning.

“10am. And you can’t still be tired because you’ve been asleep for fourteen hours straight.” Brax laughed.

“Well actually, I might be entitled to that.”

“And why is that?”

“Brax…I’m pregnant.”

“Are you serious?” He asked sitting up.

“Well it’s not like I would lie to you about this.” She replied sitting up too.

“But…but we only started trying like last week. It doesn’t happen that fast.”

“I’m starting to think I was pregnant before the wedding.”

“I’m gonna be a dad again.” He said letting it sink in.

“I’m gonna get a baby brother or sister?” Shawn asked happily from in the doorway.

“Shawn, what did I tell you about overhearing other people’s conversations?” Brax said.

“I’m gonna be a big brother.” Shawn sang as he jumped up and down repeatedly.

“Well we don’t need to ask if you’re happy about it.” Charlie smiled, glad he was.

“Dad, how do humans have babies? Cause dogs and cats climb on each other.”

“Oh…well…I’m just going to start breakfast.” Brax said getting up.

“Mummy. Same question.” Shawn said turning to look at her as Brax walked out the room.

“Well Shawn…you’ve got to get ready for school.” Charlie said getting up.

“But I want to know.”

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 13

Thanks for the comments ~JarlieFanEver~ and mrstanyabuckton

“Auntie Bianca, If I ask you a question you gots to promise to answer it.” Shawn said eating his ice cream.

“Okay then Shawn. What is it?”

Charlie put her head in her hands as she realised what he was going to ask.

“How are babies made?” He asked.

“Well, um…” Bianca stuttered wondering what to say.

“You know, my dad told me that babies come from seeds and tadpoles.” Liam said walking out of the kitchen.

“That’s just lame Uncle Liam. Tadpoles turn into frogs.” Shawn said.

“And seeds are plants.” Ash said licking his bowl.

“Yeah that does sound lame now that I know what really happens.” Liam said getting back to cooking.

“And what really happens?” Shawn carried on.

“Alright that’s enough biology for today. Ash how about you take Shawn to play in your bedroom.” Bianca suggested.

“Okay.” Ash replied as him and Shawn ran upstairs.

“A little bit of warning might’ve been nice Charlie.” Bianca said picking up all the bowls.

“Well better you answering his questions than me. At least he didn’t ask the ‘how do humans have babies’ And then say about animals climbing on each other, first thing in the morning. If we’d stayed in the bedroom any longer he probably would have figured it out.”

“Yes, lucky for us we haven’t had to go through that with Isobel. And I think she’s quite happy leaving it that way.” Bianca said laughing.

A Month later

“I don’t see it.” Shawn said frustrated as he looked down at the scan picture.

“Right there.” Brax said pointing to one part on it.

“It’s small.”

“You were small too once.”

“It be a boy or a girl?”

“Um, well if I tell you, promise not to tell mummy?”

“I promise.”

“Brax he can’t keep secrets.” Charlie said walking into the kitchen to get a drink. “I’m beginning to think that just allowing you to know was a bad idea.”

“I can keep it a secret for the next 6 months.”

“Until you decide to tell Shawn again.” She pointed out.

“Sorry Shawn you just have to wait.”

“How long?” Shawn asked playing with one of his dinosaurs.

“March.” He replied.

“But that’s next year.” Shawn protested.

“I’m sorry mate but if I tell you then you’ll tell mummy and I’ll get in trouble.” Brax said getting up.

“Alright then daddy. Cause I don’t want you to go in the naughty corner.”

“The naughty corner?” Brax asked confused.

“Yeah the naughty corner. It’s where you go when you be naughty.” Shawn replied switching on the T.V.

“So have you been in the corner?” Brax asked curiously.

“A couple of times, before we knew about the hyperactivity I get from eating a lot of cocoa.”

As he said the last word his puppy came bounding up to him and jumped on the sofa.

“I didn’t call you Cocoa. I was telling daddy about chocolate making me hyper.” Shawn said stroking the puppy.

“Cocoa! Off the sofa.” Charlie shouted coming into the room.

The chocolate Labrador looked up at her long enough to acknowledge her name being said before going back to chewing on one of the cushions.

“You need to start training that dog.” Brax said picking the puppy up off the sofa.

“I tried but she doesn’t want to learn.”

“Well she has to. And before she chews up everything in this house please.” Charlie said getting a little agitated as she started to eat.

“Okay, okay. Oh, my favwit shows on. Everyone shush.”

“I don’t know where he gets his attitude from.” Charlie said as Brax sat down at the table.

“He’s a Braxton. It’s slightly hereditary.” Brax said laughing. “So what are you eating?” He asked taking one of the sandwiches off her plate and taking a bite out of it. “Eww, what is that?” He asked spitting it out.

“Um, Peanut butter, banana, chocolate spread, jam and maybe some syrup.” She replied before taking another bite out of the sandwich she was holding.

“You know just a combination of two of those things would do.” Brax said putting the sandwich back.

“Well I didn’t make it for you, did I?” she replied before kissing him.

“Mum, Dad. I’m sitting right here.” Shawn replied looking shocked.

“Alright we’ll keep it PG.” Charlie said starting to eat again.

“Come on Cocoa, let’s go for a walk. I can’t watch anything in here.” Shawn said jumping up and fetching her lead. “Ruby, I need you to come for a walk with me.” Shawn shouted clipping the lead on Cocoa.

“Right now? I was busy.” Ruby said coming out of her room to witness the scene going on in the kitchen.

“Pretty please Rubes.” Shawn begged.

“Alright, come on then.” She said holding his hand as they walked out the door.

“You know, we’ve got the house to ourselves for at least, judging from that exit, at least an hour.” Brax said excitedly.

“Brax, I’m trying to eat.” Charlie said.

“I’m pretty sure you can finish eating later.” He said taking the sandwich off her and putting it back on the plate.

“Well hurry up then. One hour is not exactly very long.” Charlie said getting up.

“Yeah, you’re still the Charlie I remember.” He laughed getting up and following her.

Outside

“Rubes, if Brax isn’t your dad then who is?” Shawn asked as they walked slowly down the street.

“Well, he wasn’t a very nice guy and I don’t really like to talk about him.” Ruby replied finding it hard to answer him.

“It’s okay; we don’t have to talk about it. If I ask you another question, you promise you’ll answer it?”

“I’ll try.” She laughed intrigued.

“Where did I come from?” He asked slowly as he stopped walking.

“Well every human and animal comes from an egg and a sperm.”

“And what are they?”

“Well they are cells that join together to make us.”

“Oh so when the cats and dogs are climbing on each other the cells are joining together. Does that mean humans do that too?”

“Sort of.” She replied starting to walk again. “How about we go to the park?” She asked wanting to move off the reproductive subject.

“You play with me?”

“Yes Shawn.”

“Okay then.” He said walking toward the small park.

“When I was in Perth and I found out about you, I wondered what you were like Rubes.”

“Really?” she asked surprised.

“Yeah, and you’re even better than I Imagined. You’re like the coolest sister ever.” He said hugging her.

“Wow, thanks Shawn. You’re my favourite little brother.”

“I’m your only little brother.” He pointed out laughing.

“Well maybe this next baby will be a boy.”

“Nope, I wished it to be a girl. Then I can have a big sister and a little sister and I’ll still be your favourite brother.”

“Well, in case it’s a boy, you’ll still be my special brother because you get hyper when you eat chocolate, you adore dinosaurs and you helped to bring this family back together.”

“It’s still going to be a girl. I usually get everything I wish.” He said giggling.

Chapter 14

Thank-you for the comments ~JarlieFanEver~ and mrstanyabuckton. And sorry I forgot to mention you last time Jess. I hope you enjoy the longer than normal chapter.

Christmas Eve (3 months later)

“Alright Shawn time for bed.” Brax said getting up and switching the TV off.

“But I not’s sleepy yet.” He replied rubbing his eyes and yawning.

“If you don’t go to bed soon Shawn then Santa will fly right past this house.” Charlie said trying to be firm with him.

“No wait Santa. Don’t fly past our house I’s going to bed now.” Shawn cried running towards the stairs. “Oh no I forgots Santa’s milk and cookies. Or he won’t give me any presents.” He remembered running back in the kitchen.

“Put them on the shelf.” Brax said. “And where’s Rudolf’s carrot.”

“Yeah, Rudolf needs a carrot after all that flying.” Shawn replied going into the vegetable cupboard. He walked back into the room with an armful of carrots.

“Rudolf only needs one.” Brax said sighing.

“But what about all the other reindeer that are flying too? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen.”

“Okay, so nine carrots?”

“Yep.” He said lying each one down on the shelf next to the cookies and milk.

“Hey were home.” Casey said coming through the door.

“Casey, Ruby. You made its. Hurry up we have to go to bed before Santa flies past the house.” Shawn said pulling them both towards the stairs.

“Slow down dude. I think Santa won’t mind if we wait 10 more minutes.”

“What’s with all the carrots?” Ruby asked sitting down in a chair.

“It’s for all Santa’s reindeer. Flying makes them hungry.” Shawn replied. “Night Daddy, night Mummy.” He said running over and kissing his parents goodnight. “Night Ruby, night Casey.” He said before running up the stairs.

“Shawn do you want me to come and read you a story.” Brax shouted.

“No daddy. I gots to go asleep so Santa will come.” Shawn shouted back jumping into bed.

“Santa should come more often.” Casey laughed.

“The novelty would wear off if he did.” Charlie replied.

“Well I’m hungry so let’s go find some left over dinner.” Ruby said getting up and pulling Casey into the kitchen with her.

“Just three more months now.” Charlie sighed as Brax sat down next to her.

“Yeah, just missed Christmas. Don’t worry daddy got you something. I was going to leave this until tomorrow but I guess now would be okay since it’s almost midnight.” Brax said pulling something out from under the Christmas tree.

She opened it slowly and inside was a baby reindeer suit that would fit the baby next Christmas.

“It’s perfect Brax.” She said gazing into his eyes. “I hope it has your eyes.”

“Uhuh I want her to look just like you.”

“Her?” Charlie asked realising what he had said.

“Um her, it, he. Oh Charlie.”

“It’s a girl?” Charlie asked.

Brax nodded guiltily.

“Told you he couldn’t keep it secret.” Ruby laughed turning back into the kitchen and holding her hand out. “20 bucks now mister”

“Alright.” Casey said.

Next morning

“Mummy, Daddy. Santa’s been. Santa’s been.” Shawn said running into their room and onto their bed.

“Shawn it’s 5:25. Go back to bed.” Brax replied tiredly.

“But Santa’s been.” Shawn said again.

“Santa will be back again to take away all your presents if you’re up before 8am.” Brax made-up in a last attempt to make him go back to bed.

“I’m going. Don’t come back Santa.” Shawn shouted running out of the room and back to his own.

“That was just mean.” Charlie said sleepily.

“I think it was mean him waking us up this early.” Brax replied closing his eyes tiredly.

“Its 8am, time for presents.” Shawn said running back in his parent’s room.

“Alright Shawn, we’re getting up now. How about you get Rubes and Case up?” Brax said sitting up.

“They is up. We’ve been watching T.V and waiting for you. I’m surpwised you didn’t hear us, cause we is watching Ice Age 3 again and even Casey thinks it’s funny. Hurry up, we want to open presents.” He finished still standing by the door and waiting.

“I’m starting to dread Christmas and this is only my first one with Shawn.” Brax said getting up.

“He was the same last year.” Charlie said yawning.

“Yous taking forever.” Shawn said impatiently as he stood at the door. “Hurry up, Casey made coffee.” He finished going downstairs again.

“I don’t remember getting this worked up over Christmas.” Brax said.

“Ruby used to as well.” Charlie said remembering Ruby when she was little.

“Oh so they get it from you then?” Brax teased before walking into the bathroom.

30 minutes later

“Can we open presents now?” Shawn asked sitting down next to the Christmas tree.

“Alright Shawn.” Brax said.

“At last.” Shawn sighed as he grabbed a present with his name on it.

“What about everyone else Mate?” Brax asked.

“Oh, here’s one for Rubes.” He said passing it to her. “And one for Casey. And this one’s for mummy and another one for daddy.” He said handing out the presents before going to open his own again. “Ah cool. Dinosaur bedclothes. Thanks Casey.” Shawn said jumping up and running out of the room.

“Where are you going?” Brax asked watching as he ran off.

“To try thems on.”

“But Shawn they’re clean.” Charlie said as he ran upstairs.

“Told you he would like them Case.” Ruby said unwrapping her own present.

“I never said he wouldn’t. I just wondered if he’d want toys or books.” Casey said. “Err, Rubes why did you get me a watch?”

“Now, you might be on time for lunch.” Ruby smirked at him.

“Hand that present back over, you so don’t deserve it anymore.” Casey joked as she looked at the necklace from him.

“Thank-you Case.” Ruby said kissing him.

“How I look?” Shawn asked coming back downstairs and standing up in front of them.

“You look cool dude.” Casey said hugging him.

“Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. I’ll never take them off, ever.” Shawn said sitting down on the floor again.

“So you’re going to eat lunch in front of everyone in your bedclothes?” Ruby asked smiling.

“Maybe I’ll take them off, just for lunch.” Shawn laughed as he picked up another present. “What’s this?” He asked as he unwrapped a football.

“It’s a football Shawn.” Ruby said picking it up. “You’ve never played with a football before?”

“We lived in an apartment Rubes.” Charlie said. “A football wasn’t on my list of priorities.”

“Yeah, I went crazy enough without kicking balls around.” Shawn laughed. “I picked this for you.” He said handing Ruby another present.

“A video camera?” Ruby said unwrapping it.

“We can record things and you can make singing videos and it’s just really cool.” Shawn replied as Cocoa came bounding over and sniffed curiously at his new clothes. “Cocoa’s sad cause no one got a present for her.” He said stroking her.

“Aww, poor Cocoa ay. Maybe Shawn should look better round the Christmas tree.” Brax said stroking the dog as she came over to him.

“But I didn’t see…oh look Cocoa, there is a present for you.” Shawn said picking up one and bringing it over for her to smell. She quickly ripped off the paper and tried to get into the packet.

“Look Cocoa, your favwit treats. Yeah, you want to eat them.” He said opening the packet sending treats flying everywhere. “Oops?”

The dog barked happily, as she ran round the room eating all the treats she could find. “Next present.” He said trying to dismiss the fact that he had just sent dog treats all over the room. “I found one for the baby. That mean mummy gets to open it.” He said jumping up and giving it to Charlie.

“Alright who’s guilty of this one?” She asked taking it from Shawn.

“Fine, it was me. I couldn’t help it, I walked past the shop and it looked so adorable.” Ruby said as Charlie unwrapped the baby clothes.

“I feel sorry for the baby; all she ever gets is clothes. Daddy got clothes and Ruby got clothes for her. And then there’s more clothes in the nursery.” Shawn said sadly.

“More clothes?” Charlie asked looking at Ruby.

“It was all just so cute, especially the little dresses.”

“You knew it was a girl?”

“Well you’ve well and truly put your foot in it this time.” Casey sighed.

“Well Brax just couldn’t wait to tell someone.” Ruby said trying to look innocent.

“Hey hang on a minute Rubes, you practically squeezed it out of me.” Brax said defending himself.

“At least I got something else.” Shawn said handing her another present.

“It looks a lot like Cocoa.” Ruby said looking at the soft toy.

“Yeah, so even though she can’t play with Cocoa she can play with this dog.”

“I think she’ll like it.” Brax smiled as Shawn sat down on his leg. “Now I think it’s time for mummy’s present.” He said pulling a box out from under the table.

She opened it and there was a locket with letters engraved on it.

“Open it.” Brax said smiling.

Inside there was a picture of all of them the evening after the day at the beach.

“It’s beautiful Brax. Thank-you.” Charlie replied kissing him.

“And you can add a picture of the baby after she’s born.” Brax replied lifting Shawn off his leg. “Well I think I’d better go and get lunch started.”

Lunch

“Nanny Cheryl, daddy says lunch is done.” Shawn said running outside.

“Well it took you long enough Darryl.” Cheryl said walking into the kitchen.

“Well I thought you’d want your food cooked and not raw mum.” Brax replied picking up a dish and carrying it into the dining room.

“Shawn, can you go find Rubes and Case and then go and wake your mum up nicely. And when I say nicely, not like you did this morning please.”

“Yes dad. Where’s they be?” Shawn asked.

“Look around, where’s your mutt?” Cheryl asked remembering the way the dog had attacked her when she came through the door.

“Oh yeah. They took Cocoa for a walk cause she got excited and jumped on you.” Shawn laughed.

“Well call them and tell them lunch is ready.” Brax said walking back into the kitchen before Shawn ran off to find the phone.

“And what’s Buckton doing asleep this time of day?”

“Mum she’s pregnant. Have you forgotten already? And she is a Braxton now.”

“I didn’t lounge around all day when I was pregnant with any of you boys. And she may have our name now but that does not change the fact that she gave me speeding tickets and was generally unkind to me for all those years.” Cheryl said sitting down at the table.

“I thought we agreed on a truce?” Charlie said walking in tiredly.

“Don’t worry. She’s just venting because she has to pay another fine and I’m not helping her with it.”

“Come on Darryl, would it kill you to lend me some money?”

“Possibly. All that stuff upstairs in the nursery set me back quite a bit.” He laughed putting the plates on the table.

“I think we’ve finally tired the dog out.” Ruby said coming into the room after Cocoa walked in and flopped down on the floor in an exhausted heap.

“Is that the same animal that almost killed me when I got here?” Cheryl asked surprised.

“That’s because Casey made her run all the way home.” Ruby smiled sitting down at the table next to Charlie.

“And look who we found on the way back.” Casey said as Heath and Darcy walked in.

“Was wondering when you two would get here.” Brax said sitting down.

“Darcy couldn’t decide what clothes to wear.” Heath said.

“Hurry up everyone, I’s hungry.” Shawn said sitting down at the table and picking up his fork and knife.

“You heard him, hurry up.” Brax smiled ruffling his son’s hair as he went to take the lids of the food.

As they all sat down and began to dish up the food and eat, you’d get the impression of one big happy family.

“But not for long.” Jake whispered to himself as he looked through the window. Revenge was getting close.

Archived