I Lied To Protect You

Guest AvrilRP212

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 3

Thanks to GeorgieNZ, MatildaHunterFan, Jen1205, cb2180, caroline77, ~JarlieFanEver~, RoRo90, JosieTash, Dingo x, Callyha, totally, sazzle and caroline77 for the reviews. Hope you enjoy this next chapter. :wub:

Sydney

Ruby put the phone back as Charlie hung up and turned to face Brax and Casey.

“She’s really alive?” Brax whispered.

Ruby just nodded. “Um she said that maybe we should talk about this in person and it would be safer in Perth.”

“So we’re going to Perth?” Casey asked.

“Yep.” Brax said picking up the phone and calling the airport. “I suggest you each get a rucksack of clothes cause who knows how long it’ll take to sort this mess out.”

Ruby and Casey went to their bedroom to pack some stuff as Brax finalised the flights. 15 minutes later all three of them were in the car and racing off to the airport.

Perth

“We’re just going to go back to the apartment and sort some stuff out and feed Sam then we’ll be back in 1 hour tops.” Charlie said as Shawn put on his school bag and went to the door.

“Alright then. Since you gave them our address I guess it would be alright if you stayed here for the night right Nicole?” Angelo said.

“Sure. Since Shawn seems to have cheered up George I guess you can come back.”

“Alright then see you later.” Charlie said walking out the door.

“Bye everyone.” Shawn said following her.

“Well that was one heck of a day.” Nicole said dishing up dinner.

“You’re telling me.” Angelo said grabbing another beer out the fridge and opening it.

Brax, Ruby and Casey were now sitting on a plane heading to Perth. Brax hadn’t been able to wipe the grin of his face at the thought of seeing Charlie again. And he even had a son. Ruby however couldn’t help thinking how much danger they were putting themselves in by meeting up. Jake had been unlucky before in trying to kill Charlie but what if he got the chance again? And next time would he choose to shoot her or someone else? As the flight wore on she leaned against Casey’s chest and pushed the bad stuff out of her mind. All that mattered right now was she was going to see her mother again. And her little brother for the first time and with those happy thoughts she drifted into a calm sleep.

Meanwhile Charlie and Shawn had just got home. She opened the door and straight away wanted to shut again for the sight that met her eyes was quite terrifying…

It was 7:30pm and Angelo and Nicole were starting to get really worried. Charlie had said she’d be back in an hour and that hour had already come and gone followed by another and a half. But what could they do? They didn’t actually know were she lived. Angelo picked up his mobile and pressed call for the sixth time that night.

“Anything?” Nicole asked sadly.

“Just ringing.” He replied about to hang-up when Charlie answered.

“Angelo…” She said.

“Whats taking you so long?” He asked worried.

“It’s Jake. He’s been here somehow.” She said.

“Are you sure?”

“Our dog is dead and Jake’s name is written on the wall.”

“Alright I’m coming. Where do you live?”

She explained where and how to get there briefly before the phone hanged up.

“Well done Buckton.” Jake said holding a gun to her head.

“Why are you doing this?” She asked plainly.

“Because you killed my little brother and you were going to get away with it. I watched you, all happy with ex-Riverboy. So I tried to kill you. And until three and a half years ago I believed I’d succeeded. But I was wrong and so here we are luring poor innocent Rosetta to the scene of the crime.” Jake said.

“Jake…if all you want to do is kill me then do it, but please leave everyone else out of it.”

“I would but I much prefer to do it like this. I know for a fact that Brax, Casey and Ruby are on a plane here now and Angelo will be here soon so it can all be sorted out. But I’ve been patient for so long and poor doggie wasn’t really much of a kill. So it might call for an insurance that you will eventually die by maybe starting it off right now.” He carried on lightly moving the blade of his knife closer to her. “But then again, you’re no use to me if you’re dead.”

She sat there enduring it because some small part of her knew Shawn had gotten away in time and he would be safe. Another part of her also hoped that the young boy would warn Angelo that he was walking into a trap.

Half an hour later Angelo arrived outside the apartments Charlie had said she lived at. As he went to go to the lift he heard someone say his name and turned round to see Shawn pale and crying.

“Shawn. What is it mate?” Angelo asked kneeling down by the young boy.

“We were gonna go inside but when mummy opened the door it was like she froze and then she told me to run so I did and after when I looked back she was gone and this man was looking outside the door to see if anyone had been watching.”

“Come with me Shawn.” He said taking the boys hand and leading him back out to the car.

“Nicole…” He said into his phone after he dialled a number.

“What’s happened?” She asked.

“It was a trap. I found Shawn downstairs and from what he told me Jake is already and still in that apartment.”

“Oh my god. Um Angelo, Brax is here at the house.”

“Get him to come. I’m gonna need his help.”

“Please be careful.” Nicole said.

“Don’t worry about me. Just make sure Brax gets here soon.”

“Brax…” Nicole said putting the phone down. “It’s Jake. He’s got Charlie.”

Brax’s heart sank. It was happening all over again.

“Angelo wants all of you to go and help him. Jake has set a trap and lured Angelo there but he managed to figure it out in time.”

“We’re going.” Brax said jumping up and running outside.

“Well…people sure enjoy keeping me waiting.” Jake said growing even more impatient.

Angelo and Shawn were sitting in his car as they waited for the others. It must have been only 20 minutes before a car pulled up beside them and Brax jumped out followed by Ruby and Casey.

“Ready to meet your dad Shawn?” Angelo said waking the boy up.

He nodded back sleepily as Brax came round the next side of the car to talk to Angelo.

“It’s been a long time hasn’t mate. Thanks for this.” Brax said.

“Firstly don’t call me mate. Secondly I’m not doing this for you. I’m doing it for this little boy who deserves to be with all of his family and for one of my old friends sitting upstairs being tortured by Jake…”

“Ok, ok I get your point.”

“Daddy…” Shawn yawned.

“It’s alright mate go back to sleep. Daddy will be here when you wake up.” Brax said watching as the little boy went back to sleep again.

“We going to get this over with?” Angelo asked.

“Yep. Just like old times…” Brax said waiting for Angelo to get out the car.

Upstairs in the apartment there was a knock on the door. Jake got up of the sofa and picked the gun up from the table. Charlie glared up at him from where she was sitting in the kitchen.

“Ah ex-Sergeant Rosetta. Nice to see you again. Get inside!” He said raising the gun.

Angelo reluctantly walked inside.

“So…Brax isn’t going to come and save the day?” Jake questioned noticing he was alone.

“Nope. Told him not to come.” Angelo said.

“Oh is that so. Alright then well you have arrived just in time for the show. Only, you will die and we will watch. Isn’t that right Charlie?”

Angelo then chose to run towards Jake and push him up against the wall. Jake pushed him away with little effort and then noticed he had dropped his gun. Angelo noticed him looking at it and they both lunged for the gun. Angelo got there first and kicked into the kitchen before punching Jake in the face. Jake fought back just as the door barged open revealing Brax and Casey. In the moment Angelo looked up Jake grabbed the gun and was about to fire it. Angelo looked back down just in time and a shot was heard. Brax rushed over to them as Casey went to untie Charlie.

Angelo got up pointing the gun at Jake who was lying almost lifeless on the floor. Minutes later the police came and Jake who’d been shot was taken to hospital. By 9pm they were all back at Angelo and Nicole’s place.

“Angelo what have you done to yourself?” Nicole asked as she opened the door.

“You should see the other guy.” Angelo said walking in and sitting down at the table.

“Angelo shot Jake who is now in custody of the police but in the confines of a hospital bed.” Casey said laughing as he went to put a sleeping Shawn down on one of the armchairs.

“Oh well I’m very proud of you for not getting yourself killed.” Nicole said hugging her husband before starting to clean the blood of his head.

“So am I to assume we’re staying the night?” Ruby asked.

“Well I don’t think you’ll find anywhere to stay this late and seeing as Shawn is asleep…” Nicole said.

“Uh Shawn’s not the only one.” Brax said from the sofa.

“Yes you can stay.” Angelo said.

“Great because I am so tired and I’ve got jetlag.” Casey said lying down in the living room on the carpet. “Does anyone else realise its 11pm in Sydney right now?”

ADORED that soooooooooooooooooooo much, especially ......

 “She’s really alive?” Brax whispered.

Ruby just nodded. “Um she said that maybe we should talk about this in person and it would be safer in Perth.”

“So we’re going to Perth?” Casey asked.

 Brax, Ruby and Casey were now sitting on a plane heading to Perth. Brax hadn’t been able to wipe the grin of his face at the thought of seeing Charlie again. And he even had a son. Ruby however couldn’t help thinking how much danger they were putting themselves in by meeting up. Jake had been unlucky before in trying to kill Charlie but what if he got the chance again? And next time would he choose to shoot her or someone else? As the flight wore on she leaned against Casey’s chest and pushed the bad stuff out of her mind. All that mattered right now was she was going to see her mother again. And her little brother for the first time and with those happy thoughts she drifted into a calm sleep.

Meanwhile Charlie and Shawn had just got home. She opened the door and straight away wanted to shut again for the sight that met her eyes was quite terrifying…

 “Our dog is dead and Jake’s name is written on the wall.”

 “Well done Buckton.” Jake said holding a gun to her head.

“Why are you doing this?” She asked plainly.

“Because you killed my little brother and you were going to get away with it. I watched you, all happy with ex-Riverboy. So I tried to kill you. And until three and a half years ago I believed I’d succeeded. But I was wrong and so here we are luring poor innocent Rosetta to the scene of the crime.” Jake said.

“Jake…if all you want to do is kill me then do it, but please leave everyone else out of it.”

“I would but I much prefer to do it like this. I know for a fact that Brax, Casey and Ruby are on a plane here now and Angelo will be here soon so it can all be sorted out. But I’ve been patient for so long and poor doggie wasn’t really much of a kill. So it might call for an insurance that you will eventually die by maybe starting it off right now.” He carried on lightly moving the blade of his knife closer to her. “But then again, you’re no use to me if you’re dead.”

She sat there enduring it because some small part of her knew Shawn had gotten away in time and he would be safe. Another part of her also hoped that the young boy would warn Angelo that he was walking into a trap.

 “We were gonna go inside but when mummy opened the door it was like she froze and then she told me to run so I did and after when I looked back she was gone and this man was looking outside the door to see if anyone had been watching.”

 “Brax…” Nicole said putting the phone down. “It’s Jake. He’s got Charlie.”

Brax’s heart sank. It was happening all over again.

“Angelo wants all of you to go and help him. Jake has set a trap and lured Angelo there but he managed to figure it out in time.”

 “Ready to meet your dad Shawn?” Angelo said waking the boy up.

He nodded back sleepily as Brax came round the next side of the car to talk to Angelo.

“It’s been a long time hasn’t mate. Thanks for this.” Brax said.

“Firstly don’t call me mate. Secondly I’m not doing this for you. I’m doing it for this little boy who deserves to be with all of his family and for one of my old friends sitting upstairs being tortured by Jake…”

“Ok, ok I get your point.”

“Daddy…” Shawn yawned.

“It’s alright mate go back to sleep. Daddy will be here when you wake up.” Brax said watching as the little boy went back to sleep again.

 “Oh is that so. Alright then well you have arrived just in time for the show. Only, you will die and we will watch. Isn’t that right Charlie?”

Angelo then chose to run towards Jake and push him up against the wall. Jake pushed him away with little effort and then noticed he had dropped his gun. Angelo noticed him looking at it and they both lunged for the gun. Angelo got there first and kicked into the kitchen before punching Jake in the face. Jake fought back just as the door barged open revealing Brax and Casey. In the moment Angelo looked up Jake grabbed the gun and was about to fire it. Angelo looked back down just in time and a shot was heard. Brax rushed over to them as Casey went to untie Charlie.

Angelo got up pointing the gun at Jake who was lying almost lifeless on the floor.

 “Angelo what have you done to yourself?” Nicole asked as she opened the door.

“You should see the other guy.” Angelo said walking in and sitting down at the table.

 So am I to assume we’re staying the night?” Ruby asked.

“Well I don’t think you’ll find anywhere to stay this late and seeing as Shawn is asleep…” Nicole said.

“Uh Shawn’s not the only one.” Brax said from the sofa.

“Yes you can stay.” Angelo said.

“Great because I am so tired and I’ve got jetlag.” Casey said lying down in the living room on the carpet. “Does anyone else realise its 11pm in Sydney right now?”

Chapter 4

The next morning started early with George, Mya and Shawn running round the house playing. So it wasn’t long before everyone was up except Brax and Charlie who were still fast asleep on the sofa lying in each others arms.

“All sorted?” Angelo asked ruby as she put down the phone.

“Yes. The flights are at lunchtime so two people might want to get off the sofa and get ready.” Ruby said extra loud.

“Alright were up.” Charlie said as her and Brax sat up.

“So how are you?” Nicole asked Ruby as they sat eating breakfast.

“I still think any minute now I’m going to wake up and find out I was dreaming.” She replied.

“Well it’s a good thing this is real then.” Charlie said sitting down next to her. “So just out of curiosity how did you find out I was still alive?”

“You wrote an email to Georgina and I was being nosy.” Ruby replied.

“Ah the one were I left my phone number at the bottom.”

“Yeah. I called it and got the answering machine…”

“With my mobile number.” Charlie finished.

“Yeah. I’m starting to think you were leaving all these clues so someone could find you.”

“You know I don’t think I anticipated you reading someone else’s emails.” Charlie said.

“So Nicole what are you doing now?” Ruby asked changing the subject.

“Well me and Angelo were considering following you all back to the bay.” Nicole said.

“Seriously?” Ruby said.

“Yeah. Well we haven’t been there since George was born and it would be nice to catch up with people and show the kids where we used to live.”

“So kinda like a holiday or are you thinking of something a little more permanent?”

“Well, it’s still undecided at the moment.”

“Mummy, is this Ruby?” Shawn said as he pointed at his sister.

“Yes.” Charlie replied.

“So if this is Ruby and that’s daddy, who’s that?” He asked pointing at Casey.

“He’s your uncle slash my boyfriend.” Ruby said.

“How can he be my uncle and your boyfriend?” Shawn asked.

“Well, he’s your daddy’s brother and my boyfriend.”

“But then you like our uncle.”

“No what I was trying to say was…”

“No stop. You making me confused. You come play with me?” Shawn asked her.

“Alright then.” She said getting up and following him into the living room.

“Is this little Georgie?” Ruby asked looking at the other boy playing on the floor.

“Who are you calling little?” George asked.

“Uh not you George…I was talking about your little sister Mya.”

“Yeah, Mya’s little but I’m a big boy, just like Shawn so we play together but Mya has baby toys.”

By half past five they were back in Summer Bay again. They were all sitting on the beach together. George, Mya and Shawn were playing in the sand with Ruby and Casey, Nicole and Angelo were talking and Brax and Charlie were just enjoying being in each others company again for the first time in almost five years.

Pier Diner

“Oh my goodness. Leah. Irene. You wouldn’t believe it. I was walking along the beach and I saw Brax and Casey and Ruby…” Colleen started as she rushed into the kitchen.

“Oh so there’s a law about sitting on the beach now?” Leah asked.

“No, no, no. They were sitting down by Angelo and Nicole…”

“Nicole and Angelo are back?” Irene asked.

“Will you please stop interrupting me? I’m trying to tell you that I think I’ve seen a ghost.”

Both Irene and Leah stopped what they were doing to turn around and face Coleen who instead had turned round to start making herself a drink.

“…and there was young George and a little girl and another little boy who looked just like Brax and…” Coleen said before looking around again to find both Irene and Leah gone.

The two strode along the beach, wondering if what Colleen said was true. Stopping mid-tracks however they saw her sitting down with Brax.

“Oh my gawd.” Irene said.

Leah was speechless.

Casey stood up and looked towards the top of the beach where Irene and Leah stood looking stunned.

“Uh Charlie, you might want to start explaining…” Casey said nodding towards them.

Charlie and Brax looked round to see Irene and Leah looking at them.

“Oh Bianca…” Colleen said as she came out the kitchen.

“So I’ll have a coffee and what about you?” She said looking down at her daughter.

“Isobel want milkshake.” The little girl said.

“So one coffee and a milkshake.” Bianca said.

“Bianca you’ll never believe it…I still can’t believe it. I thought I’d seen a ghost.”

“Colleen what are you talking about?”

“Well Charlie of course. Haven’t you heard? She’s alive. And not just that, Daryl Braxton has a son.”

“Are you sure Colleen?” Bianca asked not believing it.

“I saw it with my own eyes.”

“Mummy, Issy wants milkshake.” The little girl said impatiently.

“Witness protection?” Leah repeated.

“Yeah. They reckoned that if Jake believed he’d managed to kill me he wouldn’t go after Ruby or Brax.” Charlie replied.

“So if you’re back here then what about Jake?” Irene asked.

“Yesterday or more like last night Jake was put in custody in Perth. He found out I was alive and was not that happy about it.”

That evening

“Is this my room?” Shawn asked as he and Brax walked into one of the rooms.

“Yeah.” Brax replied putting the suitcase down on the floor.

“Can we repaint it tomorrow?” Shawn asked.

“What would you like to paint it?”

“Blue…with dinosaurs, lots and lots of them.”

“Oh you like dinosaurs?”

“Yeah,” He said opening his suitcase and getting his toy out. “This is Little foot and mummy brought him for me for Christmas.”

“Has he told you about his dinosaur obsession yet?” Charlie asked walking in.

“He was just showing me.” Brax said.

“Mummy also got me this dinosaur DVD and there are like ten more parts but she said I have to wait until my birthday.”

“And when’s your birthday?” Brax asked.

“Um, um, I know it’s in June but I can’t remember what day.” Shawn said.

“15th June.” Charlie said.

“Oh yeah that’s it. 42 more sleeps and I be 3.” He said holding up three fingers.

“You ready to go to sleep mate?” Brax asked.

“Yeah.” Shawn said climbing into his bed and pulling the covers up. “Goodnight mummy, goodnight daddy.”

“Goodnight Shawn.” Brax and Charlie said together as he switched off the light.

“So what should we do now?” Brax asked.

“I’m pretty tired so maybe we should just go to bed.” She suggested.

“That’s not a bad idea.” He said kissing her.

“Guys can you please not do that in front of me.” Ruby said as she froze in the hallway on her way to the kitchen.

Next day-Beach

“Ruby please slow down…” Casey panted as he tried to catch his breath.

Ruby turned around and walked back over to him.

“Why can’t we just go surfing?” He asked.

“Because we can’t talk if we’re surfing.” She replied.

“Alright, but can we just keep it to a slow walk?”

“Fine.”

“So what are we talking about?”

“It seems too easy…the way we went to Perth and then miraculously Jake gets caught by the police and we’re all back here.”

“Not really. You need to stop being paranoid about this Rubes. Jake is in prison and we’re all safe. Everything’s going to be alright now.”

“I guess. I just can’t seem to shake the feeling that this thing with Jake isn’t over…”

Archived