I Lied To Protect You

Guest AvrilRP212

Chapter 18

I might’ve rushed this chapter a little bit and put even more drama in it.

But I promise there will eventually be happier times ahead and Jake will eventually get what’s coming to him

At the hospital

“Darryl there is no way she could have survived that fire.” Watson said sitting down next to him.

“I’m not giving up on her. It can’t end like this. I only just got her back.” Brax said sadly.

“Uh Brax, you can see Shawn now.” Sid said coming out of one of the rooms.

Brax got up from the seat slowly and walked into the room.

“Hey mate.” He said sitting down next to the bed as he ruffled his son’s hair.

Shawn remained silent as he stared at the wall, trying not to think that he might never see his mum again.

In another room of the hospital, George lay asleep, in the same room as Angelo.

“Nicole?” Angelo muttered as he squinted his eyes at the bright light of the room.

“Oh Angelo, I thought you weren’t going to wake up and I was so scared and and…” Nicole said hugging him tightly.

“Nic you’re crushing me.” He moaned in pain.

“Sorry.” She replied sitting down again.

“Uh why is George on that bed?” He asked watching the boy sleep.

“Look, don’t freak out Angelo but some stuff happened last night and today.”

“Does that stuff involve the Braxton’s?” Angelo asked going into his old cop mode.

“Don’t start please.” Nicole sighed

“I’m not starting anything, our son is in hospital. I’m gonna kill Brax.” He said angrily.

“No, you’re not, okay. Jake took George, Ash and Shawn and when he made contact this morning Brax and Charlie both went to get them. There was a fire, George got trapped and right now the cops think Charlie is dead.”

“Oh Ash we promise we will never ever leave you again.” Bianca said hugging him.

“I’m okay mum.” Ash replied smiling.

“Mum?” Bianca repeated surprised.

“I meant Bianca…well can I call you mum?” He asked unsure.

“If you want to, of course you can.” She said kissing him on the head.

“When can I get out of here?” he asked.

“Soon kiddo. It’s not that bad here, you get to stay in bed and…nope can’t think of anything else good about the hospital. And the food is awful.” Liam replied happy to have his son back.

“Way to go on the appraisal of the being in hospital.” Bianca laughed.

“I want mummy,” Shawn whimpered in pain.

Brax tried his best to comfort him but in this state, Shawn only wanted Charlie.

“I don’t want daddy, I want mummy.” He cried letting the tears roll down his cheeks.

“I want mummy back too ay Shawn but…” Brax said trying to hold back his own tears. Watching his son push him away and remembering what had happened before the building collapsed made his heart break.

“It gonna fall down.” Ash cried as the flames crawled around the room.

“No it’s not we’re gonna get out of here.” Brax replied picking George up as he slumped against him.

Brax looked up at Charlie as she stopped by the backdoor that was locked.

“If anything happens Brax I love you.”

“I love you too. But nothings gonna happen.” He replied trying to convince himself more than anyone else.

“I don’t want to die yet.” Ash said innocently as he coughed from the smoke.

If he knew where Jake was he would go there and kill him right now for the suffering he’d put his family through. Unable to hold the tears back any longer he broke down and cried. Shawn didn’t know what to think as he looked up and saw his dad cry. Daddy never cried.

“I’m sorry daddy…don’t cry.” He said hugging him and burying his head deep into his dad’s chest hoping that he could wake up in his own bed and the last couple of days had been nothing more than a long, horrible nightmare.

Five days later

“This has gone too far Jake. We almost got those kids killed, we almost got killed.” Matt exhaled pacing the room.

“But we didn’t. And we managed to get his wife. The very person who pulled the trigger on my brother. Calm down will you.” Jake replied not looking up from the desk he was sitting at.

“She’s not well Jake. She needs to be in a hospital and you know it.” Matt sighed looking over her asleep in the corner.

“Yeah I do know. But that does not excuse anything. I promised him I’d always look after him, but I failed him. I let him get killed. Now I have to avenge him, and she’s going to pay.” He said pointing at her as he finished his sentence.

“I get where you’re coming from Jake. Hammer was like my brother too. But sometimes you gotta let these things go.” Matt replied trying to make him see sense.

“No Matt. Tomorrow, we’re going to take her back to her family and kill her in front of them.” Jake concluded as Matt shook his head. Jake had lost it if he thought he could go back without being arrested.

Charlie’s P.O.V

My heart sank as Jake said that last sentence. For the last few days playing sick had kept me alive, but now it was too late. Well it wasn’t actually much playing sick involved. I felt awful. Somehow I had to find a way to escape.

Jake went to the bedroom to get some sleep and Matt went to the toilet.

This was it, my one chance to get away. I’d worked my way out of the ropes that Matt hadn’t tied very tightly. I got up, grabbed some car keys off the table, and ran out the door. Fumbling with them I realised they were for Matts car and I quickly got in it and turned on the engine. It roared to life and I pulled out of the driveway and onto the road. I saw Jake and Matt appear at the front door of the house and I sped up the car.

“Yeah she was ill alright you bloody idiot. Get in my van.” Jake said as he ran down the driveway.

“She was. I guess she heard you talking and decided to make a getaway.” Matt retorted angrily.

“Well Matt, if we play this right we can make her death look like a car crash and us totally innocent.” Jake said turning on his car.

“Yeah, except that we blew up a building and kidnapped those kids.” Matt muttered under his breath.

Charlie’s P.O.V

I had no idea where I was going but I had to get as far away from Jake as possible. I wanted the car to faster but although I had managed to last this long I was slightly conscious of the fact that ever since the explosion I’d had raging headaches. The last thing I needed was to lose control of the car. I slowed down a little bit as my vision went blurry and I managed to make out the faint glare of headlights right in front of me. I tried to swerve the car in any direction but I already knew it was too late. Time seemed to stand still and then I heard the horrible grind of metal as the two vehicles made impact and everything went black. When I opened my eyes again I realised I’d hit a truck. I was stuck in the car and the raging in my head had intensed dramatically. I touched my forehead as I felt blood trickle down my head and realised I’d hit my head.

“Oh god.” The other driver said as he jumped down from his truck.

He’d seen the car at last minute as it came right at him and he’d swerved but it had crashed right into the side. It hadn’t been going very fast but he was doubtful if the driver was okay. He silently cursed as he realised how bad this could turn out if someone had just been killed. He knew he was over the legal limit of alcohol but in fairness, nothing about this accident was his fault. He rushed over to the car and saw her sitting in the car looking terrified.

“Katie?” He asked surprised.

“Nate…” She replied weakly.

“What…how?” He asked as she winced in pain.

“Jake and Matt.” She said trying not to close her eyes.

“Who are they?”

“…following me.” She managed to get out as her breathing worsening.

“Why were they following you?”

“Tell Brax I’m sorry.” She said closing her eyes. She saw her family’s faces and lingered on each one not wanting to let go before darkness seemed eminent and she’d fallen unconscious.

“No Katie you got to stay awake.” He said pulling his phone out and calling for an ambulance.

Next time:

Who’s Nate?

Brax isn’t coping

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 19

Thanks ~JarlieFanEver~ for the comment.

“Brax. What are you doing?” Casey asked as he walked into the house to find Brax asleep surrounded by beer bottles. “Wake up.” He shouted.

“What do you want Case?” Brax asked getting up and walking into the kitchen.

“What are you doing?” He asked exasperated.

“Pretty much what I was doing this time last year.” Brax replied getting another drink.

“How exactly is that helping anyone?” Casey asked shaking his head.

“You know what. I was at the hospital with Shawn yesterday and he wouldn’t even let me comfort him. He pushed me away.” Brax said sadly.

“He’s been through a traumatic event. He didn’t mean it.” Casey tried to convince him but Brax just carried on drinking. “Bro, you can’t slip back to how you were before. You have two little kids that need you. They cannot lose both their parents.”

Brax looked up at him, in deep thought. Maybe what Casey had said had gotten through to him.

“How could you Brax?” Ruby shouted barging into the house.

“What have I done now?” He asked confused.

“She wasn’t even back a whole year and already I might’ve lost her again.”

“Rubes, it wasn’t his fault.” Casey replied angrily, sticking up for him. “It’s not like he made Jake come back.”

“As good as. None of this had ever happened, if we’d never gotten involved with you pathetic Braxton’s.” she screamed at him.

“Stop shouting! It’s not nice.” Shawn shouted walking into the room.

“Daddy’s sorry mate.” Brax apologised kneeling down and hugging Shawn.

“You say sorry too Rubes.” Shawn said looking up at his sister.

Ruby rolled her eyes before sighing. “Sorry Shawn.”

“Now say sorry to daddy as well.” He ordered.

“Sorry…Brax.” Ruby said looking down at the floor.

“Group hug?” Shawn suggested.

“Seriously?” Ruby asked.

“It’s what mummy used to do when me and Megan and Josh used to fight.”

“You miss mummy too Rubes?” Shawn asked going over and hugging her too. Ruby nodded unable to speak.

“She said that when someone dies they are always watching over the people they love, just like Grandma and Grandpa.” Shawn said remembering all the things she’d told him.

“When did you get so smart?” She asked ruffling his hair.

“I always been smart.” He answered giggling.

“Defiantly a Braxton.” Casey smiled putting his arm around Ruby and Shawn.

“I know it’s not your fault Brax…well dad I guess.”

“Really, it’s dad now?” Brax asked surprised.

“Well you are kinda my stepdad now.” She shrugged.

“Big group hug.” Shawn smiled.

Brax smiled as they all hugged. All that was missing was Charlie. But this time he wasn’t going to readily accept she was gone. Destiny had not brought them back together again just to split them up. But until she came back to them he had to focus on looking after the kids and carry on hoping.

Hospital in Melbourne

Nate’s P.O.V

I cannot believe this is happening. I’ve officially lost my license, which in the scheme of things that’s happened tonight isn’t the worst thing. Running into her, now that was a shock. When I wondered if I’d ever see her again, I had not envisioned crashing into her on the road and landing us both in hospital. I don’t know exactly how bad her injuries where because I’m not family they won’t tell me, but it looks pretty bad. As I thought back to what she told me before she passed out, I can vaguely remember the name Jake. When I stayed at her apartment after Shawn was born she sometimes screamed that name in her sleep. I’d asked her about stuff before I’d known her but she didn’t let on much. All I knew was that she was in witness protection and she’d had to leave her family behind. Obviously she had gone back, like I had suggested she should before I left. And I’m guessing it hadn’t gone down too well.

Perth 2012

“Who’s that?” Nate asked looking at the young woman sitting outside.

“Katie. She’s been here for a couple of weeks now. Don’t get any ideas Nathaniel.” His mum answered.

“I’m not mum.” He replied laughing.

“Good. Cause no one’s managed to get a word out of her since she moved here. Of course, we invited everyone from the flats to the party and I even tried to talk to her myself once, but nothing.”

“I bet I could.”

“You can’t help yourself, can you? What about Megan and Josh? You think they needs this in lives now after what’s happened?”

“I think I’m entitled to see other girls. And I only said I’d talk to her.”

She shook her head but smiled. She knew what he was like.

Nathan got up and walked over to where Charlie was sitting.

“Hey, you alright?” He asked sitting down by her.

She didn’t look at him as he spoke, just kept staring at the ground.

“It’s alright you don’t have to answer that. It’s just I can’t help but notice that you look unhappy.”

“Just leave me alone.” She said getting up and going back inside.

“Told you.” His mum said as he walked back over.

“I’m not done yet.” He replied before following Charlie.

“I thought I asked you to leave me alone.” Charlie said as he walked into her apartment.

“I know what you said but you looked like you could use some company.”

“I don’t need anyone.”

“Ah the life of a hermit. Well I’ve been there myself. After my wife died I just wanted to be left alone to wallow in my self-pity. I pushed my friends and family away. But it was all pointless. She was dead and I couldn’t bring her back. Plus I had our four year-old daughter and 8 month old son to look after. Eventually it made me realise that I had to get it together, for Megan and Josh’s sake as much as my own.”

He was right she thought. She had to pull herself together, for the baby’s sake. Already the baby wouldn’t have a father, it was just her.

“Well, that’s all I wanted to say so I’ll just be going.” Nate said getting up.

“Alright, how did you do it?” She asked.

Couple of weeks later

“Do you mind baby-sitting the kids for me? It’s just I’ve got this work thing to go to and the girl cancelled at the last minute.”

Charlie looked hesitantly at Nate wondering what to say.

“I guess I could.” She finally replied.

“Thank-you, thank-you. You just got nominated to bestest friend. Okay I’ll bring them over at 6pm?”

“6pm is fine.” She nodded.

“So did you have a nice night with Katie?” Nate asked his daughter over breakfast the next morning.

“Yeah, we watched Barbie and had chocolate and marshmallows. Can she babysit again?”

“Maybe sweetie.”

“Does she have any kids?”

“I don’t know. Why?”

“There was a cot in the spare room.”

“Really?” He said thinking about it.

“Katie, I’m just going to come right out and say it. Do you have any kids?”

“Why?”

“Megan said something about seeing a cot in one of the rooms the other day.”

So that’s what the girl had been up to she thought.

The cot was a gift from the one of the other two people that weren’t cops that knew she was still alive. She still remembered sitting there thinking of one person she could tell that wasn’t family. Someone who could be trusted and possibly help her and everyone else get through this. If her and Bianca hadn’t been fighting she probably would have picked her but they weren’t friends anymore.

Hugo had picked Alf, to help Martha deal with his faked death. Then it hit her. Roo. She could help Ruby, and she was trustworthy.

Next time:

What really happened at the beginning of 2012?

Chapter 20

Thanks for the comment. This is mainly a what happened before they came back chapter.

Northern Districts Hospital 2012

That evening Roo walked into the hospital room with Joyce and Georgie knowing very little of what was going on.

“Let me get this straight, you’re going to fake your death?” Roo asked looking straight at Charlie who was sitting up in the bed looking drowsy.

“My death has already been announced, in a way.” She replied.

“Dr Walker has been given a set of clear instructions to allow us to do this.” Joyce said turning to her.

“So he’s in on it too?” Roo asked feeling uncomfortable with the situation.

“Yes.” Joyce answered. “Until we are sure that her life isn’t under threat anymore this witness protection thing is going to stay.”

“So why am I being told this?” Roo asked confused as Sid walked into the room and sat down.

“Because it’s part of the conditions of Witness Protection. One person who is not family may know. In this case, there are two of you. I will remind you both that we are doing this to protect people from being killed. If anyone else found out about this then the information could possibly get to Jake somehow.”

“We’re not going to tell anyone.” Sid answered.

“Good. Now Sid has Ruby given you an answer yet?”

“No but I think she is leaning towards switching it off.” Sid replied.

“Leaning towards?” Watson asked.

“Well I think she wants to but Brax is being somewhat difficult.”

“Encourage her that this is the right thing to do then Sid. Whilst this hangs in the air everyone is involved is in danger of one of Jake’s crew returning to finish what he started.” Joyce said getting up.

“So what’s going to happen now?” Roo asked.

“We’ll put Charlie asleep again with drugs until Ruby decides and if she goes with turning it off then we will give her another drug that will show false readings on the monitors. Shortly after the monitors will then presume her dead.”

“You doctors can manipulate your own machines now?” Roo asked surprised.

“Only with permission from the police because most of the time it’s done for witness protection anyway.” Sid replied standing up.

“If Ruby doesn’t decide to switch it off we will go ahead with it anyway after 3 days.” Georgie said getting up and following Joyce out.

“You’re really going to go through with this.” Roo asked as Sid followed the other two out.

“I’m doing it to protect Ruby and Brax. Roo I need you to help her get through this. I’m scared she’s not going to cope. If I had my way I’d let her come with me but Jake would know something was going on.”

“I’ll try. Just out of curiosity why did you choose me?”

“Because I know I can trust you with this and might be able to help with Rubes.”

“So where are you going after all this?”

“Perth.”

“Oh, you’re still here.” Sid said coming back into the room to find Roo sitting there.

“Yes, do I need to go now?”

“No, it’s just we’re going to have to put Charlie back to sleep soon. I think Brax might be coming back.”

“How is he?” Charlie asked hesitantly.

“Not good. He went after Jake and he beat him up. He’s just been told what’s happening with you and he’s going against Ruby.”

“How’s Rubes?”

“Struggling. The decision is hard enough but Brax’s input is not helping at all.”

“Well I think I’m going to go now.” Roo said standing up.

“Thank-you for agreeing to all this Roo. And once I’m in Perth they’ve given me permission to stay in contact with both of you discreetly.”

“That’s nice of them.” Roo replied. “Well good luck in Perth Charlie, and we’ll talk afterwards.” She said before leaving the room.

“Ready to go back to sleep?” Sid asked walking over to the bed.

“No but go on.” She replied turning away as he started injecting the drug.

Day of the funeral

“Brax did what?” Charlie asked as Sid started telling her about yesterday’s events.

“He had Jake’s gun and he shut himself in the room with you.” Sid answered remembering what had happened.

“What was he thinking?” She asked in disbelief.

“He wasn’t thinking. He asked if he could have 10 minutes alone in the room and then he barricaded himself in there. To top it all off he nearly blew everything. Joyce was considering afterwards what we would’ve done had of Brax discovered our plan. The drug started wearing off and you were starting to come out of it. All the machines were going crazy in there. If Brax hadn’t let me in then you might’ve woken up right in front of him. Thankfully, I managed to get more of the drug into you before anything happened and then Casey got the gun off Brax. The police were furious of course. They arrested Brax but I convinced them to let him go.”

“So what’s going to happen now?”

“In two hours I can discharge you and then you’re going to Perth.” Sid said putting the board down that he was looking at.

“Good you’re awake. You would not believe what happened yesterday.” Georgie said walking in.

“Sid’s already told me. Thanks for letting Brax go. He’s not thinking straight at the moment.”

“Well I think we’re even now. You’re plane to Perth is in two days. Whilst everyone’s at the funeral we can go back to your place and get anything they won’t notice you’ve taken.”

“I want to go to the funeral.” She said suddenly.

“You know that’s not going to happen. Joyce isn’t going to risk this operation anymore. Not whilst Jake’s still out there.”

“We’ll leave it between us. Wear a radio in the church and I’ll stay outside in a patrol car. No one will see me.”

“I guess so. But afterwards you’re staying at the house until the flight.”

“I promise.”

“I’ll pick you up after you’ve been discharged.” She said walking out.

“Thank-you.”

Later

“I know this is meant to be a celebration of Charlie’s life, but celebrating is the last thing I feel like doing.” She heard Ruby say through the radio.

She watched as everyone came outside and the empty coffin was carried to the grave and then lowered. Ruby was crying, Casey trying to comfort her. Elijah was saying something that the wind made inaudible.

And then Bianca started walking off and Liam followed her. I noticed that this whole time Brax wasn’t here. He was struggling to cope and it broke my heart to know I couldn’t comfort him in any way.

Shortly after Georgie got back into the car and took me back to the safe house I was staying at until the flight. Joyce came by that evening.

“We will give you enough money to get you settled in Perth but you will have to get a job eventually. Your name is now Katie Matthews. Your new passport and driver’s license are here.” He said passing some documents to her. “This is where I wish you good luck and I hope we will eventually catch Jake.”

2 months later

She sat on the hospital bed shocked at what the doctor was telling her.14 weeks pregnant. In a strange way it was unbearable to think about but slightly comforting. She had a part of Brax inside her. She wasn’t going to be alone anymore. But this baby would have to grow up without knowing its father or the rest of its family.

Evening, 15th June 2012

“Hey, we came to see the new arrival.” Nate said coming in the door with his kids. “He isn’t asleep?” He asked noticing how quiet it was.

“No, but he’s very quiet.” Charlie replied getting up.

“We bought a present.” Megan said putting a parcel on the table. “He looks very sleepy.” She said going closer to the car seat sitting on the table where Shawn was.

“What’s his name?” Josh asked staying close to his dad.

“Shawn.” Charlie said gazing at her son. It was amazing how much he resembled his dad. From his small tuft of hair to his nose. But his eyes weren’t green like Brax’s, that seemed to be the only thing he’d gotten from me. His eyes were blue as mine. But he still looked like Brax. Since he’d been born he’d only had one nap for about 2 hours but he seemed pretty content now to sit in the chair and watch me.

“I thought you weren’t going to have drugs.” Nate questioned looking at the dazed look in Shawn’s eyes.

“What makes you think I did?” Charlie questioned breaking her gaze from her son to look at Nate.

“The kid looks stoned.” Nate blurted out. “Come on I’ve got two of my own kids.”

“Then you should know that agreeing to no drugs was a stupid idea and yes I begged and begged until they finally gave me something. But since you are a man you have no idea how excruciatingly painful it is to…”

“I get it okay. I was just…oh look at the time we should probably get going.” Nate said quickly as he went towards the door.

“Daddy I don’t want to go home. Can we stay here?” Josh asked tiredly from the sofa.

“Josh you can’t invite yourself to stay at someone’s house.” Nate said picking up their bags as they had stayed at their Nan’s last night.

“If you want to you can. I don’t really feel comfortable being left alone with a new-born at the moment.” She admitted.

“Please daddy.” Both of the children pleaded.

“Alright, but you’ll have to share the spare bed.” Nate said as the two kids quickly ran off to one of the bedrooms before their dad could change his mind.

“Come on little guy, it’s time for bed.” She said lifting Shawn up out of the chair.

“I better go and check that my ones are actually in bed.” He said getting up. “And Katie, you’re a natural at this whole parent thing. You’ve got nothing to worry about.” He smiled before walking off.

Later that night

“No Jake.” Charlie screamed in her sleep.

Nate rolled off the sofa and surprised who the scream had come from went into her room and attempted to wake her up.

“Katie, whatever’s happening it’s just a dream.” Nate tried to talk calmly to her.

“Brax?” Charlie said.

“No, it’s Nate.”

“I want Brax.” She whimpered still half-asleep.

“Who’s Brax?” Nate asked.

“Ruby?”

He’d never seen her like this before. She’d had a strong and tough front on for the last seven months but never had he thought there may be another reason why she seemed so withdrawn from civilisation and quiet for the whole time he’d known her. Which had actually been a very short amount of time, he hardly knew anything about her.

Early next morning

“Do you want to talk about last night?” Nate asked as she walked into the kitchen at 5 am the next morning.

“How much did I say?” She asked worriedly.

“Some names and you were crying. Who’s Brax and Ruby?” Nate asked curiously.

“They were my family. Someone tried to kill me and to protect them and me I decided to enter witness protection.” She said quietly.

“They think your dead?” Nate guessed and she nodded. “Would you ever be able to go back?”

“Maybe, when the guys trying to hurt me are no longer a threat. But I’m not actually sure if I would even if that happened.” She said.

2 years later

“Don’t go Nate.” Charlie cried as he backed away from the door.

“I can’t stay here Katie. Not whilst I have all these feelings for you. Your still in love with Shawn’s dad, I get it. I still find it hard to let go of my feelings for Julia and she’s gone, she’s dead. Katie, he is alive. You could stay here forever and wait for the bad guy to be put away or you can try and get your life back, before it’s too late.”

“I’m gonna miss you.” She said through tears as she went to hug him.

“I guess that me saying the same would kind of be an understatement.” He joked.

“I’m really sorry Nate, you’ve done nothing but help me and I end up making you leave…”

“It’s not your fault. If this situation was reversed well…you know if you ever need anything or just want to catch up, eventually I’ll send you my contact details. Don’t be scared to go back, if this guy loves you as much as you love him he’ll still after all this time and you owe it to Shawn to at least try.”

“Thanks big brother.” She smiled at him.

“Brother, I like the sound of that.” Nate laughed hugging her.

“Nate, Nate.” Shawn said smiling.

“Say bye to uncle Nate Shawn.” Charlie said picking her son up.

“Bye bye.” Shawn waved. “Where you going?”

“Somewhere called Melbourne. Now you be a good boy for your mummy okay buddy.” Nate said ruffling the boy’s hair playfully.

“Yeah, I will.” Shawn replied.

“Come Megan, Josh.” Nate called to his kids who were watching the TV. “Say goodbye.”

“Bye auntie Katie, I’ll miss having sleepovers and watching Barbie with you.” She sighed hugging her.

“Well you’ll just have to teach daddy to love it.” Charlie replied smiling.

“Bye Shawn. I wish you were my little brother, then you could come too.” Josh said hugging the little boy.

“I’s miss you Josh.” Shawn said.

Chapter 21

“Why you get me from school today?” Shawn asked as Ruby stood at the school gate waiting for him.

“It’s a surprise.” Ruby replied leading her brother to her car.

“What is it?” He asked curiously.

“If I told you it wouldn’t be a surprise.” She said as they drove home.

“Daddy we home.” Shawn said as he ran through the front door and into the front room where Brax was sat with the baby. “Yay, she home.” He said jumping onto the sofa to get a better look. “She’s really pretty, like mummy, but she got your eyes.”

“Thank you Rubes.” Brax said smiling over at her as she sat down uncomfortably in the chair opposite him.

“What’s she called?” Shawn asked.

“She hasn’t got a name yet…but we could think of one.” Brax replied.

“How about Amy?” Shawn suggested.

“I’m not sure about that one. I always liked Leila”

“Are you serious?” Ruby asked.

“Nope, she don’t look like a Leila.” Shawn agreed.

“Okay what about Gemma?” Brax suggested grabbing a sheet of paper from under the table and reading it.

“No. I knew someone called Gemma once and she was a real cow.”

“No to Gemma.” Brax muttered scratching it off the list.

“Ruby is a gem so maybe Emerald?” Shawn suggested.

“Is your name Emerald?” Ruby asked looking down at her sister. “Say no mummy will hate that name.”

“Yeah, so we should just put it on her birth certificate whilst she’s not here to change it.” Brax joked. Hmm, no one’s laughing. Alright, I’ve got it. Olivia.” Brax suggested.

“It’s a nice name but it’s not really right for her.” Ruby said. “I like Taylor.”

“That’s a boy’s name.” Shawn laughed.

“Nah, it can be a girl or a boy’s name.” Brax said looking down at his daughter. “What do you think? Taylor Braxton?”

“It doesn’t sound right.” Shawn said shaking his head. “I like Selena.” Shawn said and the baby gurgled in Brax’s arms.

“Yeah, it’s alright.” Ruby agreed.

“Now that name I like. And a middle name?” Brax said.

“Well I gots you name so she can have mummy’s name.” Shawn said.

“Hmm, Selena Charlotte Braxton.” He said testing it out. “It’s a good name Shawn. I think mummy will like it.”

“Hello Selena. I’m your big brother.” He said as she looked at him and smiled. “Daddy she smiled at me.” Shawn smiled as the phone rang.

“Can I hold her?” he asked as Brax got up.

“Yeah. Be careful though.” Brax said putting Selena into Shawn’s arms. “Watch him.” He said to Ruby as he went to get the phone.

“Hello.” He said.

“Is this Darryl Braxton?” The man asked.

“Uh yeah, who’s this?” He asked confused.

“Doctor Thompson. Last night your wife, Charlotte Braxton, was admitted to our hospital, St. Pauls Memorial in Melbourne.”

“In…Melbourne?” Brax asked shocked.

“We’re going to need you to come here.”

“Uh yeah.” He replied before putting the phone down as the other man hung up.

He walked back into the front room in a daze.

“Who was that?” Ruby asked.

“Hospital. They found Charlie.” Brax said slowly.

“Well come on, let’s go.” Ruby said jumping up from the chair.

“In Melbourne.” Brax added. “We can’t just go with the kids.”

That night

“I can’t believe I let you talk me into this.” Brax shook his head as they drove into Melbourne.

“You didn’t need that much persuasion.” She pointed out.

“Dad, I’m hungry.” Shawn moaned from the back.

“Yeah, I know mate.”

“We’ll get something to eat at the hospital.” Ruby said.

“Okay.” Shawn nodded leaning back in his seat.

An Hour later

“Rubes, we’re here.” Brax said nudging her tiredly. “Shawn.” He said turning around to find his son asleep too.

“Rubes.” He said a little bit louder hoping her didn’t wake Selena up.

“What is it?” Ruby yawned.

“We’re here.” Brax whispered.

“Really?” She asked sitting up.

Brax motioned for her to look out the window at the hospital.

“Oh, we are.” She muttered stretching.

“Maybe we should go and find a hotel and get some sleep.” Brax suggested.

“Are you kidding? We haven’t seen her in almost a week.” Ruby said getting out of the car.

“Well you can carry Shawn then.” Brax said getting out and shutting his door.

“But he’s heavy. I’ll take Selena.” She said quickly opening the door and lifting her sister’s car seat out of the car.

Brax sighed before getting Shawn out the car and lifting him up as he locked it. Then they walked up to the hospital and over to the front desk.

“Charlotte Braxton.” Brax said as the women looked up at them.

“I’m sorry visiting hours are over.” She replied looking back down at the computer.

“Uh, Doctor Thompson called me and asked me to come here.” Brax said shifting Shawn in his arms.

She nodded and went behind into the office. A minute later, she returned and sat down again. “He should be down soon.”

Brax nodded as they went over to the waiting area and sat down. Another 10 minutes passed before the doctor finally came over to them.

“Darryl.” He asked.

“Yeah, that’s me.” Brax said standing up.

“Sorry to drag you out so late.” He said looking down at the sleeping children. “As I told you on the phone, she was admitted here last night. After being involved in a car accident.”

“A car accident.” Ruby repeated shocked.

“The other driver involved was here earlier. Although he was over the limit, he’s convinced that the accident was her fault, but his licence has been removed. So anyway, she suffered a head injury and had swelling to her brain as well as bleeding. My partner and I have agreed it would be best to keep her in an induced coma until the swelling has gone down.”

“Will she be okay?” Ruby asked.

“I don’t know. We should know in the next couple of days whether the swelling has gone down enough for us to bring her out of the coma.”

“Can we see her?” Ruby asked hesitantly.

“Yeah sure. Room 135.” He replied before walking off.

They walked down the corridor and up the stairs looking for the room. They opened the door and Brax followed Ruby in.

“Oh mum.” Ruby whispered as she took in the sight of Charlie lying lifeless on the bed. The last time she’d seen her in a hospital bed had been when they had switched off the machine keeping her alive. And it was as if she was right back there, that night in 2012. “You promised.” She murmured as she sat down in the chair next to her.

Shawn started to stir in Brax’s arms and tearing his gaze away from the women he loved to move his son again to a more comfortable position; Brax looked down at his watch. 1:37am.

“Rubes, maybe we should go and find somewhere to sleep.” Brax suggested.

Ruby looked up at Brax’s tired face and then at her brother and sister and nodded getting up. She picked up Selena’s car seat and walked towards the door. Brax followed her but stopped at the door as he turned back around to look at Charlie.

“Please wake up soon. We all need you babe.” He whispered before turning back to follow Ruby and shutting the door behind him.

The next morning

Shawn shook Ruby softly. “Where are we?” He whispered as she opened her eyes tiredly.

“What time is it?” She asked looking on the table for her watch.

Shawn grabbed it and tried to tell the time. “Well the big hands on the five and the small hands on the seven.” He said handing it to her.

“7:25. it’s early Shawn.” She said rolling over in the bed.

Shawn walked back over to his bed and sat down. At that moment, Brax walked back into the room with Selena and a bottle. He’d been down to the kitchen and charmed the women down there to let him go down and make a bottle for Selena.

“Daddy. Ruby’s grouchy. Where are we?” He asked.

“In a hotel in Melbourne.” Brax replied sitting down in a chair and giving Selena her bottle.

“We’re here? We go see mummy now?” He asked excitedly.

“When Ruby wakes up. We did go last night but you were asleep.” Brax said.

“Did you talk to her?” He asked sitting down at the table with him.

“Not exactly mate. The doctors have to keep her asleep.” Brax tried to answer in a way he would understand.

“Why?”

“Because she hurt her head.”

“Why?”

“Shawn, please, enough with the whys.” Ruby groaned sitting up in bed.

“Now she awake lets go.” Shawn laughed.

“I remember why I liked being an only child.” Ruby sighed getting out of bed.

“Really makes you want to have kids right.” Brax said as Selena pushed the bottle away and started crying.

“Selena’s not hungry.” Shawn said watching his little sister.

“No, she’s got wind.” Brax said putting her on his shoulder and rubbing her back.

“You’re really good at this whole parent thing.” Ruby said watching him.

“I practically raised your boyfriend.” Brax laughed.

“And then you have to go and ruin it by reminding me that I’m dating my Uncle-in-law.” Ruby said grabbing some stuff and heading to the bathroom.

“What’s dating?” Shawn asked curiously.

“Something you won’t be doing until you’re my age if your mum gets her way.” Brax laughed.

“What?” Shawn asked confused.

“Don’t worry about it mate. You’ll understand in about 10 years.” Brax replied.

Next time:

Brax and Ruby meet Nate

Chapter 22

Thanks for the comments Jessicals16,~JarlieFanEver~ and oliviac9727 ^_^

“I had a feeling you guys would be here early.” Doctor Thompson said writing something down on the clipboard.

“It’s not too early, is it?” Ruby asked as they walked in.

“No.” He said putting the board down.

“Are you the doctor?” Shawn asked sitting down in the chair.

“Yeah, and what’s your name?” He asked looking down at the boy.

“I’s Shawn.” He replied. “And that’s my baby sister called Selena.” He carried on pointing at the car seat Brax was holding.

“Well, Darryl. Charlotte seems to be doing well and the swelling has reduced quite dramatically.”

“So that means?” Ruby asked curiously.

“That means we could be bringing her out of the coma as early as the day after tomorrow.” He replied before leaving the room.

“Daddy, can we go get some breakfast now?” Shawn asked sitting down on Brax’s knee.

“But you ate at the hotel.” Brax said as Selena started crying.

“That wasn’t breakfast, that was a snack. Selena’s hungry too.”

“Alright, you coming too Rubes?” Brax asked standing up.

“No, I’ll just stay here.” She replied.

“Come on then Shawn.” Brax said as he picked Selena up and they walked out of the room.

Ruby went over, sat down in the chair next to her mum’s bed, and took her hand in her own.

“The doctor said that talking to someone in a coma might help them wake up but right now I feel really stupid.” She laughed as she looked down at her. “I know you had no say in what Jake did but you promised you would never leave me again. So you have to wake up because I need you mum. Shawn needs you and Selena needs you. And Brax, I don’t know how he’s managed to cope lately. He’s been amazing looking after the kids, and then dealing with all my crap. I can see why you fell for him; those Braxton’s have quite a charm. Well Case and Brax do, Heath defiantly doesn’t. Please wake up.”

There was a faint knock at the door and Ruby stopped talking and looked up as it opened. On the other side stood a man, she’d never seen before.

“Excuse me, who are you?” Ruby asked standing up.

“Are you Ruby?” He asked.

“Yeah, who are you?” She asked again.

“My name is Nathaniel Thomas and I uh was the other driver.” He said slowly.

“You’re the other driver? How could you say it was her fault, you were the one who’d been drinking.” Ruby said angrily.

“I know I’d been drinking but I’m not lying, I wouldn’t lie about something like this. Her car came out of nowhere and smashed into me.”

“You are lying, she’s not a reckless driver that goes around smashing into other vehicles she was a cop for crying out loud.” Ruby shouted as Brax and the kids came back into the room.

“What’s going on?” Brax asked looking from Ruby to Nate.

“Uncle Nate.” Shawn said running over to the man and hugging him tightly.

“Hey Buddy.” He said kneeling down and hugging Shawn.

Both Ruby and Brax looked at him shocked and confused.

“This could be hard to explain.” Nate muttered as Shawn let go of him.

“We miss you Nate. Where Josh and Megan?” Shawn asked.

“In School.” Nate replied uncomfortably as he looked up at Brax and Ruby.

“I lived in Perth and I was friends with Katie…I mean Charlie. Sorry the whole name thing is confusing.”

“Oh okay, for a minute there I thought you were some crazy stalker guy.” Ruby sighed.

“I still think he is.” Brax said picking Shawn up as he eyed Nate suspiciously.

“Alright, how if I tell you Shawn was born on the 15th June and his middle name is Darryl because Charlie said she wanted to name him after you. Or the night after he was born, she had nightmares of a guy called Jake shooting her. That she literally screamed out both of your names. Believe me yet? Maybe I should mention that after she smashed the car she told me that Jake and some other guy called Matt had been following her.” Nate finished.

“He’s not lying is he?” Ruby asked shocked at his outburst.

Selena cried in the car seat, woken up by all the shouting. Brax put Shawn down next to Ruby and then bent down and picked her up.

“I’m sorry, it’s just did I really mean that little to her that neither of you know about me?” He asked sadly.

“She didn’t really talk much about anything that happened in Perth.” Brax replied thinking back to those short months they’d had together. “I don’t even know what my son was like as a baby.” He added.

“I might be biased because I fell in love with that kid as soon as I set eyes on him, but he was adorable.” Nate answered looking at the little boy as Ruby hugged Shawn.

“Why did you say you wouldn’t lie about something like this?” Ruby asked.

“Because my wife died in a car accident.”

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry.” Ruby said quickly figuring he must not like talking about it.

“It’s okay, it happened almost seven years ago and I’ve got my kids.”

“If you lived in Perth, then why did you move here?” Brax asked curiously knowing that he’d moved way before Charlie had come home.

Nate remained silent at this question, watching Shawn sat on Ruby’s knee reading a book. Ruby looked up at him and it clicked.

“You loved her didn’t you?” She asked realising why Charlie hadn’t mentioned anything about him. “You loved my mum.”

He nodded slightly as he turned to look at her lying on the bed. “It’d be hard not to, and she reminded me so much of Julia, but she still loved you Brax, and I couldn’t handle it anymore. It was confusing my kids so I decided that the best thing to do would be to leave. I told her we’d keep in contact but when I got here, I just couldn’t bring myself to.” He sighed looking down at the floor.

There was a moment of silence as no one said anything and all that could be heard was the constant beat of the machines. Nate’s mobile phone broke the silence and he answered it.

“Sorry, I’ve got to go. Megan’s ill again.” He said putting the phone back in his pocket. “Uh where are you staying?” He asked.

“Hotel.” Ruby replied.

“Well, I’ve got plenty of space if you want to stay. Not that you have to, it’s just I know what hotels can be like when you’ve got small kids.”

“We’ll think about.” Brax nodded before Nate left the room.

Later that afternoon

“Are you sure this is it?” Brax asked listening to the loud noises coming from the house they were walking up to.

“This is the address he gave me.” Ruby said.

She put Shawn down and knocked on the door.

“I’ll get it.” A boy shouted running over to the door and opening it. “Shawn, it’s really you.” Josh said excited as he ran to hug him. “Wow, you’ve gotten bigger, I can’t call you a baby anymore.” He laughed.

“Josh, don’t leave them standing on the doorstep.” Nate shouted to his son from the kitchen.

“Sorry, come in.” Josh said. “Who’s that?” He asked looking at the baby.

“My little sister Selena. And this is my big sister Ruby and this is my daddy.”

“Hello.” Josh said nervously. “My dad’s in the kitchen. Come on Shawn. I got more dinosaur stuff in my room.”

“Cool.” Shawn said following Josh up the stairs.

Brax and Ruby carried on into the kitchen.

“I’m glad you decided to stay here.” Nate said putting some dishes of food on the table.

“Hotels aren’t all they’re cracked up to be.” Ruby joked.

“Josh, Megan. Dinner.” Nate shouted. “You guys hungry?” He asked walking back into the kitchen.

“Yeah.” Ruby replied.

“By the way, I’ve got Josh’s old cot upstairs if you want to use it for the baby.” Nate said.

“Thanks.” Brax said picking his daughter up.

“Daddy can we watch something after dinner?” Josh asked as he and Shawn sat down at the table.

“It’s a school night.” Nate reminded his son as he put another dish on the table for Shawn.

“Please, we’ll be quiet and Shawn really wants to watch it.”

“Please Uncle Nate?” Shawn added.

“Just this once, okay. Have you finished your homework?”

“Yep, it was only a little bit.” Josh replied shovelling into his dinner.

“Are you feeling better princess?” Nate asked his daughter as she sat down at the table.

“Kind of daddy. I’m still tired though.” Megan said looking at the two people standing in the kitchen.

“Shawn, who are they?” She whispered.

“My dad and sisters.” He answered before he and Josh went back to discussing the world of dinosaurs.

Sunday Evening

“We’ve been staying at your friend Nate’s house for five days now. I like him and his kids and Brax is slowly warming up to them. Brax should be back soon. He’s just getting the kids to bed. If you can really hear me mum, please, please, wake up.” Ruby said as she sat next to Charlie’s bed holding her hand.

“Oh my god.” She said shocked as she felt Charlie squeeze her hand. “Mum.” She said again and this time her eyes started to flutter.

Archived