Guest AvrilRP212

Story Title: I lied to protect you

Type of story: long fic

Main Characters: Charlie, Brax, Ruby and Shawn

BTTB rating: T

Genre: General

Does story include spoilers: no

Any warnings: Will warn at start of chapter

Summary: Hammer Pirovic is dead and Jake wanted revenge.

Chapter 1- 2015

“Mummy? When I was at school today one of my friends was talking about their dad. Why don’t I have a dad?”

The little boy looked at her so innocently. She’d always known he would ask. She’d always wanted to tell him. But in her heart she knew it would be wrong. After all, she’d given up her whole life to protect the people the little boy had never known or heard of. She’d done it to protect herself and Shawn too.

“Why don’t you get Sam’s lead and we’ll go for a walk.” She suggested.

“Okay.”

“Where’s my daddy?” He asked again as they walked through the park.

“What is your full name Shawn?” She asked him.

“Shawn Daryl Matthews.”

“Shawn…if I tell you about daddy you can’t tell anyone because mummy could get into a lot of trouble.”

“Yes mummy.” He replied.

“Before you were born Shawn, mummy lived in Sydney in a place called Summer Bay. And your daddy was called Daryl Braxton. But everyone called him Brax. You would have loved it there. The beach, the people...”

“Then why don’t we live there?”

“Well there were these men who didn’t like daddy and didn’t like mummy. There was an accident and mummy hurt one of the guys. And now his brother wants to hurt mummy.”

“But it was an accident.”

“Yeah, but mummy didn’t just hurt him. Mummy accidently killed him.”

“You killed a man?” He said shocked.

He sat down in the grass with Sam beside him.

“Mummy would never hurt someone on purpose. You see he was hurting your daddy. Afterwards his brother tried to kill me. When I was in hospital the police wanted to hide me so I had to come and live in Perth.”

“So daddy doesn’t know about me?”

“No. He thinks mummy’s dead.”

“But why didn’t you tell him?”

“Because I was making sure the bad man didn’t hurt daddy or Ruby.”

“Who’s Ruby?”

“She’s your big sister. She’ll be about 21 now.”

“Your name isn’t really Katie, is it?”

“No. Mummy’s name is Charlie but I had to change my name so the bad man can’t find me.”

“We will ever see them again?”

“I don’t know sweetie, but I hope so.” She said as they walked home.

She remembered her last day in Summer Bay. She’d watched her own funeral. She’d sat their in the taxi watching as Brax and Ruby cried for her. As Colleen stood their never saying a word. Bianca and Leah standing together. Her two best friends. It had torn her heart to watch them. Because, in their eyes she was dead. She’d been murdered.

Brax’s Pov

It had been four years since she’d died. The love of his life snatched so cruelly from him. The day they’d told him she’d died his heart had ripped. It was just so cruel. They were going to start a new life together. They were going to live together in the city. Just him, Charlie, Ruby and Casey. They’d be a proper family. And then when they’d gotten settled in their new house he would ask her to marry him because he had wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. Maybe even one day there would have been kids. That was what haunted him now. Images of him playing with a cute little brown haired boy in this very house.

In the end Ruby, Casey and I had moved to the city and Ruby and Casey had gone to Uni. They only came in the holidays. He got up and walked through the house, thinking about how his life might be now if Jake Pirovic had never picked up that gun and fired it…

A few months after Shawn had found out about Brax and Ruby he started asking questions again. It was 12pm and Charlie had just picked up Shawn from pre-school.

“Mummy, why didn’t daddy and Ruby come with us?”

“Because they couldn’t.”

“What if we went back to Summer Bay and saw them in secret? I wouldn’t tell and you wouldn’t tell and daddy wouldn’t tell and Ruby wouldn’t tell either…”

“Shawn…please. We can’t go back. If we do we will be in danger and daddy and Ruby will be in danger.”

“Oh…” He said sadly.

“I know you want to see them and one day we might. When they catch Jake then we can go back.”

“Okay. I hope they catch him soon.”

“So do I Shawn, so do I.” She replied. “So how was school?”

“It was alright. I drew a picture. It was Sam and his mommy and daddy and his brothers and sisters.” He said as they sat on the park bench.

Maybe it was not such a good idea to tell Shawn she thought. But she couldn’t take it anymore. If it were not for Shawn being in her life she probably would have tried to go back and get in contact with them. She was starting to understand how hard it had been for Hugo when they had faked his death. If they did not catch Jake soon she knew she would have to go back. It was too hard living like this.

“Charlie?” A man said stopping in front of the bench.

She looked up surprised at hearing someone call her by her old name for the first time in years. And when she looked up and saw him disbelief was written all over her face.

“Mummy who’s he?” Shawn asked.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very interesting start. Looking forward to seeing who the guy is talking to Charlie. I wish the show had followed this storyline when Esther wanted to leave. It would have at least given them an option of bringing her back. Looking forward to what happens next.

VERY intriguing premise/opener !!!!! REALLY enjoyed that,especially ......

 “Mummy? When I was at school today one of my friends was talking about their dad. Why don’t I have a dad?”

The little boy looked at her so innocently. She’d always known he would ask. She’d always wanted to tell him. But in her heart she knew it would be wrong. After all, she’d given up her whole life to protect the people the little boy had never known or heard of. She’d done it to protect herself and Shawn too.

 “Shawn Daryl Matthews.”

“Shawn…if I tell you about daddy you can’t tell anyone because mummy could get into a lot of trouble.”

 “Mummy would never hurt someone on purpose. You see he was hurting your daddy. Afterwards his brother tried to kill me. When I was in hospital the police wanted to hide me so I had to come and live in Perth.”

“So daddy doesn’t know about me?”

“No. He thinks mummy’s dead.”

“But why didn’t you tell him?”

“Because I was making sure the bad man didn’t hurt daddy or Ruby.”

“Who’s Ruby?”

“She’s your big sister. She’ll be about 21 now.”

“Your name isn’t really Katie, is it?”

“No. Mummy’s name is Charlie but I had to change my name so the bad man can’t find me.”

“We will ever see them again?”

“I don’t know sweetie, but I hope so.” She said as they walked home.

She remembered her last day in Summer Bay. She’d watched her own funeral. She’d sat their in the taxi watching as Brax and Ruby cried for her. As Colleen stood their never saying a word. Bianca and Leah standing together. Her two best friends. It had torn her heart to watch them. Because, in their eyes she was dead. She’d been murdered.

 Maybe even one day there would have been kids. That was what haunted him now. Images of him playing with a cute little brown haired boy in this very house.

 “What if we went back to Summer Bay and saw them in secret? I wouldn’t tell and you wouldn’t tell and daddy wouldn’t tell and Ruby wouldn’t tell either…”

“Shawn…please. We can’t go back. If we do we will be in danger and daddy and Ruby will be in danger.”

“Oh…” He said sadly.

“I know you want to see them and one day we might. When they catch Jake then we can go back.”

“Okay. I hope they catch him soon.”

 She was starting to understand how hard it had been for Hugo when they had faked his death. If they did not catch Jake soon she knew she would have to go back. It was too hard living like this.

“Charlie?” A man said stopping in front of the bench.

She looked up surprised at hearing someone call her by her old name for the first time in years. And when she looked up and saw him disbelief was written all over her face.

“Mummy who’s he?” Shawn asked.

Archived