Frozen in Time

Guest Claire_Blake

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry it took so long. Many thanks again to all who are reading and reviewing. I'm really glad you are enjoying it. It makes it more enjoyable to write. Here's to Darryl Braxton. :wink:

---------------------------------------------------

Ruby adjusted the cushions behind her mother before taking a step back and looking across at her. “Are you comfortable?” Placing the television remote next to the couch she passed over a paper and watched as Charlie smiled at her gratefully before holding her stomach tentatively whilst she readjusted her current position. She glanced over at Ruby who was now in the process of placing a cup of tea down on the table in front of her before she proceeded to reach for a stack of magazines. Smiling bemused she watched as Ruby turned to address her amidst grabbing her school bag from its position on the floor.

“I expect to see you in the same position when I get back. Leah said she’d check in on you in a few hours and I’ll come back on my lunch. Are you sure you’re ok? If you need me, ring me…I’ll keep my phone on loud.”

Charlie watched amused as Ruby finished before gasping for air. Smiling slightly, she shook her head signalling for her daughter to relax. “Honestly Rubes, I’m fine. I’ve been home for nearly two weeks. I think I’ve mastered the art of manoeuvring from the couch to the bathroom.” Signalling to the vast array of supplies around her she laughed before beckoning her to come towards her. Ruby slung her bag over her shoulder before reaching for a textbook from on top of the television. “I know, I know. I just feel bad leaving you here by yourself.” Grabbing an apple from the bowl on the table she proceeded to take a large bite out of it before speaking with her mouth full. “Me and Case will come back on our break.” She hesitated chewing the contents of her mouth vigorously before finishing her sentence. “And Bianca said she’d come see you when she finishes. Are you sure you have enough to…” Looking across at her position on the couch she paused as a grin began to form across her mother’s face. Taking the initiative to shut up she smiled before leaning over and kissing her on the cheek. “If you need me, call me.” Taking another bite of her apple she placed her book under her arm, checked her phone before surveying the contents of the living room. Sensing that she was about to rearrange the furniture for the fifteenth time already Charlie laughed before beckoning for her daughter to ‘get out of here.’ She watched bemused as she held her hands up in defeat before turning in the direction of the front door.

“I’m going, I’m going…Call me if you need anything.”

Sighing, Charlie glanced at the television guide in front of her. The perils of being bed ridden, was that she had had to suffer the wrath of morning television. Having found herself in this same position for five days on the trot now she knew her choices were limited. Her options consisted of ‘Cops with cameras’, ‘Home improvement’ or ‘Sally Jesse Raphael.’ Deciding against the latter she threw the guide down next to her. Flicking through the magazines Ruby had left her she smiled amused. Teenage taste was somewhat far from adult tastes these days. Reaching across for the newspaper she flicked through it leisurely before settling her eyes on a small column amidst all the goings on of nearby towns. Ruby had missed this one. Having been home for a considerable time already now she had grown accustomed to her daughter’s attempt at shielding her from any report, however small, concerning the recent trouble in Summer Bay. Grimacing she found herself drawn to the article despite her own want of putting it down. Pulling the paper towards her and leaning back slightly she read it hesitantly.

An investigation is still ongoing in the hunt for those responsible for the attempted murder of Sergeant Charlotte Buckton. The investigation follows the widely considered - yet unconfirmed - reprisal attack on local gang leader Harman Pirovic nearly a month ago.. The latter, although unconfirmed by Summer Bay constabulary, was widely considered to be a revenge attack for the shooting of Sergeant Buckton who was injured earlier this month in the line of duty. A twenty-nine year old male arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of Pirovic has since been released on police bail pending further enquiries.

Feeling her heart rate steadily increase she closed the paper before throwing it down on the couch opposite her. Seeing it written down in black and white she suddenly found herself feeling nauseous. Reaching for the glass in front of her she took a deep breath before swallowing a few mouthfuls and replacing it down next to her. Hammer Pirovic had been shot in the neck at point blank range and yet, somehow, had managed to survive. He had been found by one of his own boys in a pool of blood south of Wilson’s beach three and a half weeks previously. She shuddered slightly at the extent to which the feud around her had now extended not least due to the fact that the police and press were now implying that the attack on Pirovic was somewhat related to what had happened to her.

To her knowledge the Braxton brothers had been called in for questioning much to the disgust and heckling of their mother and had denied all responsibility for the attack. Running her hands through her hair in an effort to remove it from her face she couldn’t help but feel sick at what she knew full well to be true. She had wanted to believe with all her heart that they had not been responsible, that after being dragged in for questioning in the early hours of the morning by Watson and her colleagues that their pleas as to their lack of involvement were sincere. She knew better. Having been questioned by the police herself regarding the incident she had felt disgusted at her own recognition of the likelihood of who was responsible. She had given his name to the police. Darryl Braxton had outright denied all knowledge of the incident. Furthermore he had an alibi. His whereabouts had been verified not only by numerous customers and many of their mutual acquaintances but by concrete CCTV footage that placed him in the restaurant at the time of the attack. The police had no further leads. Anyone who had seen anything had thought better of going to the police and they had now found themselves at a loose end. They were clutching at straws.

Charlie, meanwhile, had been signed off work for three months. One, on the basis of her need to recuperate and two, because the Chief Inspector was under no illusion as to what he had deemed her ‘wholly inappropriate relationship with a person of interest.’ Brax, it had appeared, had succeeded in making it blatantly obvious under questioning that their relationship hadn’t been resigned to the purely professional. It was now common knowledge. Having assaulted two police officers and threatened to kill a third he had well and truly given the game away. Watson had begrudgingly informed her that the Inspector had had to field off questions from the press regarding a tip off they had received in the wake of the shooting of Pirovic. Needless to say it had been deeply embarrassing for the force. Charlie was mortified. Although, on occasion, having contemplated going public with their relationship this had been done in the most embarrassing and public way she could ever have imagined. She was fully aware of the fact that at this precise moment in time she was, most likely, the subject of town gossip.

He hadn’t made any effort to contact her. It had now been nearly seven weeks and despite being shot at he hadn’t even found the time to send her a text message. It wasn’t that she necessarily wanted to speak to him but having found the option taken out of her hands she had found it to hurt more than she was willing to admit. Hurt because every time she felt as if he had turned a corner, he managed to do something that threw it back in her face. He had been willing to kill somebody in revenge for what had happened to her. How could he truly believe that that was what she wanted? The fact was; he didn’t care. Brax lived by the rules of Brax. There were no exceptions, no reservations and no regret. Once he set his mind on something he wasn't willing to back down. She hadn't been around to try and stop him.

Having Inspector Joyce stand in front of her and tell her that in light of the attempted murder of Pirovic she was now being unofficially suspended was one of the most humiliating experiences of her life. He wasn’t stupid. The police knew that Darryl Braxton was responsible. They just couldn’t prove it. One thing the Riverboys were was loyal. They would never sell out one of their own regardless of their grievances with him for fraternising with the enemy. The Pirovic’s meanwhile, had found themselves being supervised 24/7 by the police under the fear of reprisal attacks and had seemingly decided to lie low for the time being. Hammer was under armed guard in Sydney having been transferred out of Summer Bay after a tip off as to items of interest that could be found in a lock up twelve miles south of the river, registered in his name. Unofficially Watson had confirmed that a gun found there matched ballistics reports as to the bullet found lodged in her abdomen. Furthermore his fingerprints had been all over it. The tip off had been anonymous.

Reaching for her glass and pushing all thoughts to the back of her mind she reached for the remote before directing all concentration upon the television in front of her.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“Are you coming back with me? I said I’d check in on Charlie.”

Ruby and Casey walked down the school corridor as the bell rang for lunch time. Pushing past people they made their way towards the exit. Raising his eyebrows somewhat Casey feigned a smile in her direction before acknowledging her request. It wasn’t that he had any aversion to seeing Ruby’s mother, he didn’t. It was simply the fact that having witnessed her ritual five days in a row now he didn’t know how much more of Ruby’s flapping he could take without strangling her. He appreciated that she was only trying to help but in her race to become the perfect daughter she was oblivious to what everybody else could see; she was doing Charlie’s head in.

Smiling across at her and reaching for her hand, he nodded in agreement. “Yeah course. I could do with checking in at the restaurant after though. Mum wants me to pick something up from Brax.’ He watched as she raised her eyebrow and frowned in detection of his brother’s name. Scowling at her he sighed as they continued out of the school door in the direction of the gate. Hesitating he chewed his lip before breaking the silence. “It’s not that he doesn’t care Rubes.” She snorted before shaking her head and firing a look of amazement in his direction. So far they had managed to avoid having this conversation. Letting go of her hand he ran his fingers through his hair before letting it drop down leisurely by his side. Ruby glared across at him having let out a laugh of sarcasm in recognition of his previous statement.

“He hasn’t even bothered to go and see her.” Fishing around in her bag for her phone she continued to walk out of the gate as Casey fixed his gaze firmly in front of them. “No text. No call…” Shaking his head slightly he watched as she turned to face him stopping herself from finishing her sentence. “In his defence Ruby last time he did you turned him away.” They continued to walk at a leisurely pace as Ruby replied rather more forcefully than she had intended. “I was upset! My mother had just been shot.” She hesitated before muttering something under her breath. “Even Heath’s asked me how she is.” Frowning in recognition of his brother’s ability to play the role of dutiful neighbour he reached across in search of her hand. “People deal with things differently Rubes.” Allowing him to take it within his she continued to focus upon the path in front of them. “Yeah, sure…like being a selfish git.” Ignoring her comment they continued to walk as Ruby proceeded to rant away at him despite his futile attempts at changing the direction of the conversation.

“And I saw him with that girl again!” Unbuttoning his shirt a little in recognition of how hot the mid-day sun was he turned to face her inquisitively. “What girl?” Shaking her head slightly she shot him a look of disbelief before continuing. “The blonde one from last week.” Attempting to hide his recognition of having seen the two together also he continued to walk with her amidst increasing his pace somewhat as she continued to criticise his eldest brother’s behaviour. “She was all over him on the beach. Hands everywhere. He didn’t even care Case. Charlie’s at home bored on her own all day - suspended from the job she loves - and he’s cavorting round town with his new bit on the side.” Shaking her head she averted her gaze from him as they continued in the direction of the house. “I never thought I’d say it but I’m beginning to prefer Heath these days...At least he pretends to care.” Sensing the sudden dip in volume of her voice he pulled her towards him as she positioned herself in the crook of his arm.

“I mean what am I supposed to say to her Case? Leah’s seen him as well and Charlie’s not going to be glued to the house for ever. ‘Oh sorry I know he nearly got you killed but he’s too busy hooking up with someone else to come say hi?’”

She looked up at him expectantly as he pulled her further towards him shrugging his shoulders in final defeat. She had a point.

Great update,

Lol at Ruby fussing over Charlie :lol:. It was sweet though.

I felt sorry for Charlie about getting suspended and embarrassing the force. And then Brax not even bothering to contact her. Though in his defence though he was warned away by Morag and Ruby.

More soon please :D

Archived