Frozen in Time

Guest Claire_Blake

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks to all who have commented. Glad you're enjoying it. :)

--------------------------------------

Brax kicked his brother in the leg in an attempt to wake him up. It was 7.30am and the cops had finally grown bored of questioning him and let him go. After charging him with another count of assault on a police officer they had been forced to release him on police bail pending further enquiries. Rubbing his head in an attempt to wake himself up he looked across at where Heath had now woken and was proceeding to stretch theatrically.

“Long time no see.”

Taking a seat in the waiting room next to him he passed him a coffee before lifting the lid of his own and sipping at it slowly. “The cops let you go then?” Brax nodded in sarcastic recognition of his own presence before placing the drink down on a table next to him. He was tired. Tired and short tempered. Having questioned him for another few hours they had decided to attempt to **** him off even further by relocating out of the hospital and dragging him back to the police station. Not content with taking him the distance only to release him half an hour later they had then enquired as to the whereabouts of his car. Having confiscated the keys under the guise of a warrant for a ballistics examination he had had to find alternative transport back to the hospital. Taking another sip of his drink and checking his phone in his pocket he turned to face his brother. “How is she?” Heath threw the newspaper down on the side that he had been using as a makeshift blanket before turning to face him. He stretched again. “Perky.” Ignoring his attempt at sarcasm he leaned his head back against the wall as he let his eyes rest for a minute. His thoughts however were interrupted by Heath’s audible attempts to find a more comfortable position on the seat next to him before he addressed him slowly. “We need to talk mate.” Sitting up in the chair slightly he motioned to the door where Casey and Ruby were now re-entering before declaring that now wasn’t the time. Taking the initiative he stood up offering Ruby his chair before nodding in acknowledgement towards Casey. Closing the door behind her she ignored his request before turning to face him coldly.

“What are you doing here?”

Having not thought to anticipate her hostility he shifted on the spot uncomfortably before rubbing his temple lightly. “The cops let me go.” He watched as Casey leant tiredly against the wall in the far corner. He’d been here for hours already and, despite his recognition of his girlfriend’s upset, he wasn’t in the mood for a showdown between the two. Glaring across at him Ruby signalled to the door in which she’d just come through. “I don’t want you here.” Her attempts at finishing her sentence were thwarted by Brax’s effort to interrupt her. “Ruby…” Shaking her head unwilling to listen to anything he had to say she lost her temper and flew at him verbally. “No, she nearly died Brax! This is your doing. I don’t want you here and neither would she!” She stared angrily at him as he stood fixed to his position having seemingly thought better of arguing with her right now. Despite his want of remaining close by and arguing his case he wasn’t stupid. Further pissing off Charlie’s daughter after everything that had already happened wasn’t high on his priority list right now. Opening his mouth to speak he was interrupted by Heath who sat upright from where he had been slouched on the chair next to him. Turning to address Ruby who was now in the process of opening the door and standing by it impatiently, he frowned at her before attempting to speak up in his brother’s defence.

“Come on Ruby. Give the guy a break. It wasn’t as if he held a gun to her throat, was it?”

He watched as she shot him a look of amazement as visibly she began to loser her temper yet again. Sensing an impending screaming match, Brax beckoned for Heath to ‘Leave it’ before motioning for him to get up. Turning to address Casey, he shot him an apologetic look before making his way past Ruby and signalling for Heath to give him his car keys. “If you want me, I’ve got my mobile, ok? Anything.” Moving to the right in order to let Heath inch out of the door in front of him he glanced across at where Ruby had now taken up position under Casey’s arm across from them. Hesitating he addressed her and watched as she made no attempt to meet his gaze or dignify him with a response. Looking across at Casey before turning back to her he decided to speak nonetheless. “I’m sorry…You gotta believe me this is the last thing I ever wanted to happen.” He stood in the door patiently ignoring Heath’s impatient movements from behind him and watched as Ruby relocated to the chair he had just vacated before she proceeded to pick up a magazine. Exhaling slightly he nodded at Casey before giving up and leaving the room, closing the door gently behind him.

--------------------------------------------------------

“Table thirteen’s ready. Can you sort ‘em out for me?”

Signalling to the waiter who nodded in recognition of his request Brax watched as they disappeared into the kitchen as he proceeded to make up a drinks order from behind the bar. It was just after noon and the place was slowly beginning to fill up. Glancing momentarily up from his position his eyes fixed upon the entrance as he watched Constable Watson enter the restaurant. Shaking his head impatiently he scowled before concentrating upon his task at hand. Pouring the contents of a measure into a glass in front of him he looked up begrudgingly in acknowledgement of her presence at the bar. Addressing her warmly he reached for a bottle opener signalling for an incoming waitress to make herself scarce for the time being. “Constable. If you’re here with a search warrant I’d advise you not to bother. You’re wasting your time…and mine.” He watched as she shot him a sarcastic look before resting her radio on the bar in front of her.

“As much as it would give me great pleasure to turn this place upside down, that’s not why I’m here.”

Looking up from his attempt at slicing some lemons in front of her, he shrugged his shoulders complacently. “So what do you want?” Ignoring his bluntness she continued despite his insistence upon continuing what he was doing. “My boss wants to know whether you’ve decided to stop acting stupid. I said I wouldn’t put money on it but, hell, you never know, do you?”

She watched as he tipped the contents of the chopping board into a bowl before turning to face her, grinning slightly. “You should have followed your instinct Constable. Would have saved you a journey.” Signalling to a waiter that the drinks were ready for collection he moved back slightly in order for them to take them before turning back to Watson who had made no effort to move. Placing his hand on his hip impatiently he reached across for another order from in front of him before glancing up at her. “Was there something else or are you so enthralled by my presence that you can’t bring yourself to leave?” He smiled slightly as he watched her fire a look of contempt in his direction before continuing. “You need to be careful. If you come down here any more often people’ll start to think you’ve got the hots for me.” Ignoring his attempts at humour she shifted on the spot slightly as he averted his gaze from her and proceeded to grab some bottles from the fridge behind him. Impatient she grabbed her radio from its position atop of the bar and replaced it in its holder at her hip before turning to face where he was now looking at her. Shaking her head amidst shooting him a look of bewilderment she frowned across at him. “What does she see in you?” Taken aback by her bluntness he paused looking up from what he was doing as she continued. “Not exactly riveting conversation are you?” Turning back to his task at hand, he set about reaching for a wine glass all the while refusing to dignify her comment with eye contact. “Who said anything about conversation?” Smiling slightly he watched bemused as she glared across at him. Shooting him a look of disgust he observed, amused, as she turned to leave before turning back to face him. “If you do decide to grow up at any point, give me a call.” Turning in the direction of the exit she scowled at him before finishing:

“I won’t hold my breath hey.”

-----------------------------------------------

“I mean it shows how this place has gone to the dogs since they all arrived here. First kidnap…now attempted murder.” Bianca watched bemused as Colleen proceeded to talk at her amidst flapping about behind the counter in the diner. Glancing across at the clock on the wall somewhat impatiently she smiled in recognition that she was, indeed, paying attention and listening to what Colleen had to say on the matter. Frowning, she watched as she continued to rant and rave amidst Leah shooting her an apologetic smile from the kitchen area.

“The UK has the right idea. Anti-social behaviour orders! That’s what we need here. Then we could ban them from where we didn’t want them to go. Here, the surf club, Angelo’s…well in fact I suppose one of their own being in charge might hamper that one but everywhere else would be fine.”

She continued to smile bemused as Coleen suddenly shut up amidst the presence of someone else approaching the till.

“Don’t stop on my account.”

She turned around slightly in recognition of the voice before turning back to face the counter. Colleen had made a swift exit leaving the two of them alone at the till. Turning to face the menu in front of her she started to read it in an attempt to avoid making conversation with him. Looking across in her direction he exhaled loudly before turning to face her.

“Am I invisible because you’re the third person to blank me today?”

Averting her gaze from the board in front of her she turned to face him impatiently. He had clearly just been on the beach for, as usual, he had neglected to put a t-shirt on and, instead, had proceeded to enter the diner in a paid of flip flops and shorts. Bemused at her silence he ordered a coffee before turning back to face her.

“Are you surprised?”

She watched as Heath shrugged his shoulders amidst handing the money over to a waitress in front of them and watched as she disappeared. Grinning across at her, he leaned against the counter slightly before answering her question.

“Not really. I guess when I personally decided to send a bullet through Buckton I should have known it wouldn’t go down favourably.”

He watched bemused as she shifted uncomfortably on the spot ignoring his attempts at sarcasm. Changing the subject somewhat she fiddled with a file under her arm before turning to face him again. “I heard there was some trouble down your end last night?” Shrugging his shoulders yet again he tapped on the counter impatiently as she continued. “So, you and your brother wouldn’t have anything to do with that would you?” Nodding in recognition of her intelligence he observed her as she glanced across the diner momentarily distracted before turning to face him again. “And Brax?” Leaning across the counter he shot her a bemused glance. “What about him?” Ignoring his attempt at ignorance she continued nonetheless. “I thought he would have been out polishing his bayonet after what happened?” Grinning at her humour he shrugged his shoulders complacently before turning his glance back towards where Colleen was now scowling at him from the direction of the kitchen. “What’s it got to do with him?” Registering her silence, he turned to face her and watched as she glared at him somewhat impatiently. Turning his gaze away he snorted before exhaling loudly.

“News travels fast hey.”

Ignoring his visible unease in recognition of her implication she continued to address him amidst readjusting the position of her bag on her shoulder. “How long’s it been going on for?” She watched as he shrugged his shoulders before signalling impatiently for Colleen to hurry up before turning to face her. “I dunno. Brax didn’t exactly send a memo round to the boys now did he?” Choosing to overlook his attempt at irony she carried on questioning him regardless. “Does he love her?” Grabbing her order from the waitress before thanking her she replaced it in her bag before turning to face him again. Not deterred by his unwillingness to answer her question she proceeded to her point nonetheless.

“Because if he does…” She continued as Heath met her gaze. “He’ll do the decent thing and give the police what they want.”

-------------------------------------------------

“I’ve been trying to ring you.”

Brax looked up from his position behind the bar as Heath proceeded to walk towards him impatiently from the direction of the entrance. It was near gone midnight and the place was pretty much empty if not for a couple of remaining staff members. Continuing with the cashing up in front of him he watched as his brother took up a seat at the bar in front of him. “I’ve been busy.”

Letting his arms rest leisurely on the bar in front of him he yawned before addressing Brax again. “You spoken to Casey?” Taking his brother’s silence as an answer towards the affirmative he continued towards his point. “Buckton’s awake.” Continuing counting and bagging up the money in front of him, Brax looked up before running his hand through his hair restlessly. “I know, I spoke to him earlier.” Placing the remainder of the money in a safe deposit bag next to him he proceeded to pour a large bourbon from the optic before placing it down in front of Heath. Smiling in gratitude Heath glanced around the vacant restaurant before turning his attention towards where Brax was now pouring himself a drink. Meeting his gaze, he spoke slowly, “We need to talk mate.” Throwing the contents of the glass down the back of his throat before replacing the glass down on the bar in front of him, Brax grimaced before leaning on the counter. “Can it wait. I’m knackered.” Sensing Heath’s lack of reply as an answer he signalled for the remaining staff members to head off before turning to address him impatiently. Pouring himself another drink he signalled for Heath to get on with it. Taking a mouthful of his own, Heath proceeded to talk to him.

“Bellingham paid me a visit the other week. It was in the hospital when you were with the Cops.” He watched as Brax shrugged his shoulders complacently. “We’ve got a problem mate.” Sensing his unease Brax motioned for him to continue. “The old bat pulled in a favour the night it all kicked off. She got some of the cops to pull over some of the lads down in the River.” Impatient for Heath to get to the point Brax readjusted his position on the spot uncomfortably. “And the gun was in the trunk of Bailon’s car, wasn’t it?” He continued quickly in an effort to stop Brax from speaking. “I didn’t ****ing know they were going to pull the car over did I? I needed to get rid of it quick.” He watched as Brax slammed his glass down on the bar furiously. “You ****ing idiot!” He banged his fist down angrily, “Use your brain Heath! A cop had just been shot. They would have been pulling everyone over South of the bleedin’ river!” He rubbed at his temple furiously in an attempt to let himself think.

“So he was charged?”

Taking a sip of the whiskey in front of him Heath shook his head. “No, she let him go.” He watched as Brax continued, nodding in acknowledgement of his grasp of the situation. “And she kept the…” Shaking his head in amazement, he watched hesitantly as his brother questioned him. “What does she want?” Running his hands through his hair, he continued. “She wants you to back off and give the pigs the name of the people in that car.” He watched impatiently as Brax shook his head amidst pouring himself another drink. “Not a chance.” Taking the glass from his brother’s hand he interrupted his attempts to speak.

“Mate. Be smart! Your prints will be crawling all over that thing!” He downed the contents of his old glass as he glared at Brax from in front of the bar. “You might not have a choice mate.” Ignoring him Brax fished his phone out of his pocket before proceeding to look at something and placing it back from where it came from. Turning to look at his brother he shook his head again, “End of conversation mate. You concentrate on looking after that kid of yours and let me deal with what I need to do.” Shaking his head in frustration Heath signalled for him to listen to what he was saying.

“I’m not a big fan of running to the cops either but he shot your girlfriend mate. Bellingham’s got you boxed in ‘ere. Half of the river knows who was responsible. It’s common knowledge. Pirovic doesn’t have to know it was you! Lay low and hit them in a few months when this all dies down.” He observed, annoyed, as Brax threw the contents of his glass down the back of his throat impatiently before turning to meet his gaze amidst shaking his head.

“I can’t mate. I can’t let this one go. If Morag was gonna go the cops she would have done by now.” Interrupting Heath’s attempt to speak, he continued what he had started.

“Besides, you’re about half an hour too late.”

Another Brilliant update!

Ruby was out of line telling Brax to leave. I know she's upset but Brax is Charlie's boyfriend and he's obliivious worried about her and she's gonna want him there. I wonder will Charlie say something to morag if she finds out that she's blackmailng Brax

Update soon please!!

Great update,

Glad the cops let Brax go.

I can understand why Ruby wouldn't want Brax there and why she was angry at him, but it wasn't his fault, and besides - Brax loves her :wub:,

Interesting conversation between Heath and Bianca. I'm surprised that she wasn't more angry that her best mat got shot, but it was good advice that she gave him.

Oh dear I wonder what Brax has done :o.

More soon please :D

Archived