Frozen in Time

Guest Claire_Blake

Many thanks as always for all who read and review. :) Here goes the next chapter.

-----------------------------------------------

Casey leant against the bar lazily tapping his fingers impatiently. He’d set the day aside especially in anticipation of his girlfriend’s arrival home only to be informed that she was preoccupied and, therefore, he would have to amuse himself until the evening. He glanced across at Heath who was, unsurprisingly, propping the bar up with him to Brax’s general annoyance. He grimaced as he slammed his bottle down on the bar loudly and turned to face Brax in front of him.

“Mum’s on my back. She said to tell you she needs a new tumble dryer.”

Brax raised his eyebrows at the implication. “She never fails does she? It needs fixing… not replacing.” Heath shrugged his shoulders disinterested. When it came to their mother, that was Brax’s department. He stayed well out of it. Restless and bored of his present company he elbowed Casey in the side rather more forcefully than he’d intended.

“You coming for a surf?”

Casey glared across at him, hesitating, whilst rubbing his side and grimacing.

“I can’t…Ruby’s back so I’m gonna go hang out round hers. They’re having some kind of party round theirs tonight.”

Heath placed his bottle down on the bar lazily, a grin forming across his face. “Oh really?” Casey meanwhile knew his brother all to well and proceeded to frown in his direction. “You’re not invited…It’s Charlie’s thing.” Casey glanced across at Brax who had interrupted his current task in recognition of his statement. Aware of his younger brother’s gaze directed upon him he resumed polishing the vast array of glasses that littered the bar in front of them. Frowning Casey adjusted his position somewhat in an effort to recapture eye contact with him.

“She’s doing good, just in case you were wondering.” Heath grinned amidst his drinking at his younger brother’s judgemental tone and directed his gaze at Brax who was staring at him somewhat far from impressed. Averting his gaze from Heath, Brax turned back to Casey.

“What’s your problem?”

Casey gawped at him in amazement. Brax wasn’t lacking when it came to the intelligence department. Lifting his hand to his face in an effort to feign thoughtfulness he smiled in bewilderment across at him.

“Hmm let me think. Seven weeks…you’re not interested at all?” Heath looked over at his older brother intently scanning his face for any betrayal of emotion. He remained silent. Brax, meanwhile, looked across from him to Casey before refocusing his efforts on his task at hand.

“Keep your nose out of it eh Case.”

Casey glared across at him in astonishment as he spat out a laugh. “Believe me I want to… I’m getting ear ache from Ruby left, right and centre. If her mum wasn’t a cop she would have lynched you herself already.” Heath snorted. Casey shot him a look of resentment before turning to face Brax again.

“You don’t think you owe her five minutes?”

Brax, however, ignored the question and turned to face Heath’s bemused face. “What are you smiling at?” He placed his bottle down on the bar signalling him to pass him another before grinning, the amusement of the situation evident upon his face.

“Broken record mate. Bianca was twisting my ear the other day on the beach.”

Brax replaced the bottle on the bar begrudgingly before shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly.

“About what?”

He waiting impatiently as Heath proceeded to take a long and drawn out drink from the bottle before placing it back on the surface and exhaling loudly.

“You and Buckton…You’re not exactly flavour of the month round here at the moment are you mate?” Brax stared across at the two of them intently. Casey held his hands up in mocking defeat. “But hey, it’s none of our business right.” Brax shot him a less than impressed look.

“Have you girls finished?”

His tone spoke volumes and Casey sighed thinking better of prolonging the conversation. Casey watched as his brother proceeded to pour the contents of the beer down his throat at a rapid rate. Scowling he turned to face where Brax was now directing his attention towards him.

“Ruby rang a few orders through earlier today.”

Casey ran his fingers through his hair impatiently before nodding in acknowledgment. “Alright, I’ll take them with me.” Brax shook his head as he emptied the contents of the glass washer in front of them. “Nah, she was pretty adamant that she’d pick them up herself.” Casey sighed swinging his legs on the bar stool impatiently and listened as his brother continued. “Said she’d meet you here and pick them up then you guys could head over together.” Casey nodded in acknowledgment. “Any chance of a drink whilst I’m waiting then?” Brax glared at him in amusement before reaching in the fridge behind him and placing a coke on the bar.

“There you go sweetheart” Heath intercepted repeating what Brax had said in a mocking voice and snorting with laughter. Casey punched him in the arm. “Calm down Snow White.” Having finished their attempts at pissing one another off Casey swung round on his chair, surveying the bar and grimaced at the sight of Brax’s new friend walking towards them. Heath meanwhile, directed by his brother’s preoccupied gazes had also clicked on to her imminent arrival. She was pretty, dressed in a white blouse and black pencil skirt and smiled over in his brother’s direction. Turning away from her Casey leant his elbows against the bar before letting himself drop down lazily. He wasn’t in the mood for a meet and greet. Brax, aware of his younger brother’s reluctance to allow him any room to parade her in front of them, greeted her hesitantly.

“Hey…what are you doing here?”

Ignoring his less than welcoming tone she smiled turning to face Casey and Heath acknowledging their presence. Casey forced a smile in her direction before resting his head upon the bar disinterested. Heath, meanwhile, had no such qualms about lacking in loyalty and turned to face her grinning.

“Hello sweetheart.” Brax glared across at him allowing Heath no doubt as to his opinion on the mocking tone. Turning away from where Heath had now proceeded to take up his bottle he turned to face her, forcing a smile and again indicating to his unanswered question. Sensing his animosity she shrugged placing her hand on her hip and refusing to relinquish her good mood.

“I didn’t realise I had to have an appointment.”

Brax feigned a smile and listened as she continued to speak. “I finished work early and thought maybe we could head out and get something to eat.” Heath having finished his drink snorted and watched bemused as Brax begrudgingly removed his gaze from Jude and glared at his brother.

“Excuse him, he's yet to master the art of not being an idiot.”

Jude laughed and turned to face Casey, putting out her hand and introducing herself. Not wanting to be rude he slowly lifted himself from his position atop of the bar and forced a smile, hesitantly taking her hand. He watched bemused as she made no effort to do the same to Heath clearly wise to the fact that if he did decide to take it, which wasn’t a given, he’d use the opportunity to try and make some witty smartarse comment. She smiled across at Brax signalling to the relatively empty restaurant around them.

“Don’t tell me you have too much to do here.” She looked around. “It’s not busy and I’m sure they can manage without you for a few hours.” Heath placed his bottle down on the bar smiling in acknowledgement of her observational skills.

“I’ll hang about mate, don’t worry.”

Brax removed his gaze from Jude and glared in Heath’s direction.

“That’s what I’m worried about.”

Looking back at her hopeful gaze he sighed impatiently, shrugging his shoulders and resigning himself to the fact that he clearly wasn’t being given much choice in the matter.

“Alright, give me ten minutes to sort some stuff out and we’ll head off.”

Smiling somewhat she took a seat next to Casey at the bar. Heath took a swig of his beer and glanced across at her amused. “So, what do you do? Not a cop are you?” He grinned in acknowledgment of his own humour as Casey shot him a warning look from across the bar. Smiling at Jude in sympathy he shook his head signalling in Heath’s direction.

“Ignore him.”

She smiled gratefully having not been oblivious to his initial reluctance to engage in conversation with her. Directing her full attention towards Casey she turned her back towards Heath and answered the question.

“I’m a business consultant. Yabbie Creek. Bit boring but…hey what can you do.”

Casey smiled at her cursing his initial rudeness. It pained him greatly to admit it and he made a mental note to never initiate the subject in front of Ruby but she seemed relatively pleasant by Tegan's standards. Brax meanwhile had returned behind the bar and placed a gin and tonic in front of her before making his way towards the kitchen again. Thanking him she watched as a young girl walked towards them before stopping at the bar next to Casey. Taken aback by her sudden, unannounced arrival he adjusted his position on the stool and leant forward greeting her and kissing her on the cheek. He grimaced at the recognition of Jude’s presence next to him. He couldn’t be doing, having not seen each other for a week, with Ruby flying off the handle. Ignoring her presence Ruby smiled across at him fleetingly before opening her mouth impatiently in an effort to speak.

Sensing that this was a pivotal opportunity to practice his introductory skills Heath interrupted her grinning amusedly in her direction and signalling to Jude’s presence next to him.

“Rubes. Jude this is Ruby, Casey’s girlfriend.”

Casey watched anxiously as his girlfriend forced a less than impressive smile in her direction before turning, impatiently, to face him yet again. Undeterred Heath took a swig from his bottle before elbowing Jude playfully in the side.

“Coincidentally her mother…”

Sensing his intention Casey interjected, interrupting him swiftly and smiling across at Jude who was now beginning to grow increasingly confused at the tension that had developed between them. Glaring across at Heath who was laughing ignorantly he turned to face her apologetically.

“Like I said, ignore him…Everybody else does.”

Heath snorted at what had recently become a staple statement in relation to people’s opinion of him and turned around surveying the bar around him. Taking a large mouthful of the beer that a waiter had just kindly placed in front of him he glanced in the direction of the exit and nearly choked spitting out the contents of his drink all over the floor. Jude and Casey meanwhile glared across at his outburst before following the direction of his gaze towards the opposite end of the restaurant. Ruby sighed loudly in defeat. Heath grinned as he surveyed Charlie Buckton in the doorway of the bar chatting happily to another customer in front of her. She averted her eyes slightly to look at the gawping directed towards her position before turning back to the person she was having a conversation with.

Casey relinquished his gaze and glared across at Ruby who shot him an impatient look signalling that she had tried to warn him had she been able to get a word in edgeways. Less than impressed at the situation that had now developed he glanced across at Jude who stared absentmindedly and oblivious towards the woman there attention was fixed on confused as to why Heath looked like he was currently on cloud nine. Heath meanwhile went to speak but decided against it as Ruby glared across at him angrily from her position next to his younger brother.

Taking a sip of his beer he let his eyes wander towards the direction of the kitchen and grinned as if he had just hit the jackpot. Ignoring Casey’s warning for him to back off he elbowed Jude in the side slightly eyes lighting up as he directed her attention towards where Brax had now returned from the kitchen. He, meanwhile, slightly confused and bemused by everyone’s sudden attention upon him glanced absentmindedly in the direction of Casey’s less than subtle attempts at drawing his attention to something. He stopped in his tracks, aware that the colour was currently draining from his face as he fixed his eyes upon the entrance to the restaurant. He couldn’t move, glaring he watched as she momentarily averted her gaze from the woman she was talking to and made eye contact with him before turning away again. Casey squeezed Ruby’s hand sympathetically as she glared across at where Brax was now seemingly glued to the spot staring in Charlie's direction.

Heath, meanwhile, glanced from his brother to Charlie Buckton's position at the rear of the restaurant and then to Jude who, now somewhat concerned, was directing her gaze consecutively between Brax and the woman he was staring so intently at. Heath laughed in amusement, throwing his head back and launching the remainder of the beer down his throat not caring to allow his sheer enjoyment of the developing predicament to display across his face. Signalling to a barman loudly to get him another drink he leaned back in his chair in anticipation and grinned across in Ruby's direction theatrically. Exhaling loudly and unable to retain laughter any longer he shook his head in awe.

“This is brilliant…absolutely brilliant.”

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waited for this chapter for like forever...

It did not disapoint...

You did a brill job

Finally Brax getting a bit of his own medicane... (Am not a fan of him on the show atm so its easy to hate him) But still love him :P

Oh i so cant wait for the next chapter...

Also I LOVE Heath is this... He was so funni... :)

Plz update soon :)

Archived