Frozen in Time

Guest Claire_Blake

I just wanted to know whether or not you are continuing this story... I love your story and I can't wait to read more. No rush though, take all the time you need! Don't feel pressured or so, I am just asking because I love it so much! :D Thank you for all the amazing chapters so far!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey totally, definitely still carrying it on yes. I've just been a bit busy the past week with my journalism stuff. I'll post another couple of updates later today (Tuesday). Writing them as we speak. Glad you're enjoying it, makes it more fun to write if I know people are reading it.

Claire.

Thank you to everyone who is reading and reviewing and for all the comments so far. I'm really pleased you like the story. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Heath shook out the sand and water from his hair as he carried his board out of the surf. It was early evening and the sun was definitely on its way out. Catching sight of his brother strolling towards him he brushed down his board before shaking his head.

“It’s bloody freezing out there.”

Picking a towel up from where he’d left it on the sand he glanced over at Brax who shot him a bemused look. “Stop being a girl.” Picking his surfboard up from where he had propped it up in the sand they started walking back towards the shore at a leisurely pace.

“What are you doing down here anyway?”

Brax averted his preoccupied gaze from in front of him and turned to address Heath’s question. “Nothing. Just came out for a walk. No crime against that is there?” It was more of a statement than a question. He continued to stare into space as Heath signalled for him to pass over the water bottle he was currently clutching in his hand. Taking a large mouthful before pouring the remaining contents over his head he rubbed at his hair attempting to get the remainder of the sand out.

“Thought you’d disappeared off the face of the earth.” Heath continued to talk as they slowly wandered up the beach. Brax meanwhile continued to stare somewhat thoughtlessly in front of him. He made no effort to evoke any form of conversation.

“You seem to be spending a bit of time with that Jude chick of late?”

Brax didn’t answer. Heath meanwhile launched the empty bottle back in his direction whilst signalling to his unanswered question. Exhaling slightly as if in irritation Brax caught the bottle haphazardly before turning to face him. “What’s your point?” Heath shrugged his shoulders in an attempt to display his disinterest. “None. None of my business. Just surprised that’s all.” He watched bemused as Brax replaced his hands in his pockets and continued to walk forwards in silence. Heath continued regardless. “Good to see you’ve given up on Buckton anyway.” Brax scratched at his head rather forcefully before letting his arm drop back limply to his side. “You were playing with fire there mate.” The silence was palpable. If there was one thing that made Heath Braxton uncomfortable it was prolonged quiet. He couldn’t deal with it. Growing up under Cheryl Braxton there was always some hustle and drama frequenting the household. Silence was not something he was familiar with. Thinking of his mother he elbowed Brax in the side in an attempt to loosen the atmosphere.

“Mum wants to meet her anyway.” Brax continued to gaze in front of him completely disinterested. “Think she wants to make sure she doesn’t turn up in a cop car.”

The joke went down like a tonne of bricks. Heath shook his head slightly as a grin crept across his face as Brax directed eye contact towards him. He wasn’t impressed. Heath shrugged, he had found it amusing. Deciding it was probably wise to direct the conversation elsewhere he readjusted the board underneath his arm before speaking. “Any more word on Pirovic?”

Clearly instilled to engage in conversation by his brother’s attempts to change the subject Brax turned to face him. He shook his head. “He’s long gone.” They continued to walk up the coast as Heath questioned him further. “I hear the cops got a tipoff?” He made a gun gesture with his hand as Brax, once again un-amused, glared across at his futile attempts at humour. “Nothing to do with you then?” Heath pushed the conversation as Brax focused his eyes upon the ground in front of him and kicked at the sand impatiently.

“Bellingham backed off I see. Coincidence that?”

He waited impatiently as, directed by the silence that ensued, Brax turned to face him begrudgingly. His face betrayed no emotion. He shrugged his shoulders.

“Clearly.”

By this point they had reached the shore and Heath directed his attention to the familiar sight of Bianca Scott making her way towards them. Nudging his brother in the arm he smiled slightly before directing him to take the board for him. Obliging, Brax took it shrugging off Heath’s thanks and an insincere promise to catch up with him later. Heath watched bemused as Brax made his way towards the surf club passing her on his way. She ignored his nod of recognition to her and continued to feign ignorance as she walked towards where Heath was now standing. She wasn't the first. Stopping momentarily in front of him she frowned at his mature and embarrassing use of a wolf whistle at someone her age and held her hand firmly on her hip. Undeterred Heath grinned at her.

“Looking good Miss Scott.”

She ignored the implication and smiled across at him slightly bemused. “Haven’t you got anything more productive to do?” She remained fixed on the spot as Heath mockingly clutched at his chest implying that her words had caused him great injury. She couldn’t help but smile at his humour. One thing she gave him credit for was his wit. Finally answering her question he replied in the negative declaring that "I’m all yours." Regardless of her want of company, he proceeded to walk with her up the beach. Swinging her sandals in her hand lazily she broke the silence.

“I’m surprised to see you out and about.”

Heath grinned somewhat glancing across at her. Playing stupid was a trait of which he excelled. “Why would that be?”

She frowned across at him. The friendly smile from seconds ago had now all but vanished and there was no mistaking the seriousness of her tone. “Harman Pirovic.” Two words. That’s all she needed to say and Heath understood where the sudden hostility had come from. Deciding it probably best to continue with his initial plan he shrugged his shoulders brazenly. “Nothing to do with me.” Bianca continued to focus her attentions on the route in front of them. She’d started now so she might as well carry on.

“No, perhaps not, but Brax however?”

He exhaled slightly as they continued to walk. He had been wondering how long it’d take her to initiate this conversation. He’d already had the pleasure of it in the form of perceived inaudible whispers and heckling from half of Summer Bay. Undeterred by her refusal to dignify him with her eye contact he answered her nonetheless.

“He had an alibi.”

He watched interested as she spat out a laugh of sarcasm before turning to face him. “That doesn’t mean anything though does it?” He glanced across at her somewhat bemused as she forced a smile in his direction. “You underestimate people’s intelligence Heath.” Sensing that her silence indicated that she was awaiting some kind of response he shrugged his shoulders. “The police can’t prove a thing.” She hesitated slightly glaring across at him. Her face neglected to show what she was thinking. Regaining her stride she answered calmly as he continued to walk with her.

“That doesn’t mean they’re stupid.”

Uncomfortable, yet again, by the awkward silence that had ensued and finding to his surprise that they had unnerved him more than he was willing to admit he decided to use his age old tactic. If all else failed, change the subject. Kicking the sand in front of him with his bare feet he interjected.

“How’s that sap of a boyfriend of yours?”

Bianca couldn’t help but laugh. Gazing across at him in a bemused manner she answered him in the same tone he’d directed the question. “Firstly, he’s not a sap. Secondly, not that it’s any of your business of course.” She watched as he grinned across at her anticipating her response. “He’s not my boyfriend.” Smirking somewhat in recognition of her statement he responded. “Just checking out my competition, that’s all.” She continued to focus upon the sea out to the right in front of them but the twitching of her lip as she struggled to stop herself from laughing was all but evident. She began to swing her shoes again. She hadn’t asked him to leave so this was reason enough in Heath’s eyes for him to stay. “I see Case wasn’t in school today?” Shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly he frowned across at her. Casey and school was not his department. That was Brax’s niche. “I dunno. Probably revising for his HSC with Ruby somewhere?”

He watched confused somewhat as Bianca laughed slightly before shaking her head and turning to face him. She was smiling. “Well pass on the message that he needs to think of a better excuse when he sees me. Ruby’s away with Charlie.” Heath let out a slight laugh. She’d got him there. “So that’s a load of crap.” Smiling he made an army gesture of addressing a superior before making a mental note to pass on the good news to Casey.

Replacing the smile on his face he turned to face her as they continued to walk lazily up the coast their destination unclear. “How is Charlie?” She turned to face him frowning at his question. “Jeez Heath, people might actually start to think you care?” He grinned shrugging indifferently. She’d caught him out yet again. “I don’t. Just making conversation.” Choosing to overlook his blunt honesty she continued to walk. They were silent for a few minutes before she spoke.

“She’s ok. Recovering well. Her and Ruby have gone up the coast for a few days for a bit of down time.”

She gazed across at him as he nodded in recognition of her statement. “I bet Ruby’ll love that.” She frowned at his attempt at sarcasm. Continuing in the direction in which they were going she spoke hesitantly. “I see your brother’s moved on pretty quick.” Heath glanced across at her indifferently. “Yeah. Clearly took some blunt force to the head to make him see sense.” She didn’t acknowledge his joke. She didn’t find it very funny. The awkward atmosphere had developed once again.

“And what about Charlie?”

Heath exhaled slightly as they walked further.

“What about her?”

Bianca turned to look across at him displaying an air of disappointment at his response. “She’s still suspended.” Heath shrugged his shoulders in apparent disinterest. “And why’s that his problem?” She shook her head in disbelief. Sometimes he did truly live up to his reputation of being an idiot. “You don’t think he owes her?” Heath snorted somewhat at her suggestion and turned to face her indifferently. He shook his head.

“Nah, not really. She jumped into bed with him. He didn’t force her.”

Ignoring his heartlessness Bianca nodded her head slightly in acknowledgement of his point. “Maybe not but she’s still a human being.” She watched as he stooped down and picked up a rock from the ground before launching it in the direction of the waves. He turned to face her bluntly. “Your point?” She sighed loudly at his brashness. Replacing her sandles in her other hand she turned to face him impatiently. “She’s lost everything. Brax, not so much.” He paused in recognition of her statement almost allowing himself to feel sorry for her friend’s plight. Thinking better of it he exhaled and spoke confidently.

“Luck of the draw unfortunately.”

Allowing the familiar sound of the waves crashing against the shore to fill the silence for a few moments, she sighed before hesitating and attempting a different approach.

“From what I hear he was besotted with her not so long ago.” She watched his visible uncomfort that had become evident through his refusal to meet her gaze. “Enough to distance himself from you lot?” She hesitated redirecting her gaze momentarily to a couple walking hand in hand past them. “What’s changed?" Waiting for her to finish he turned to face her as he frowned somewhat. “I wouldn’t go that far.” Shaking her head in defiance of his tone she addressed him calmly. “Open your eyes Heath.” She glanced at him as he watched her intently before finishing. “He had someone shot in the neck.” She watched as he fumbled with the sand under his feet uncomfortably before replying nonchalantly emphasising his first word. “Whoever shot Pirovic…he deserved it. It had nothing to do with Buckton.” Deciding that challenging him on the subject of retribution versus justice was futile, she nodded in recognition of his statement. Fixing her eyes upon him so that he couldn’t avoid making eye contact with her she spoke almost sympathetically. “Yeah…but somehow I doubt many people…including yourself…would have gone that far.” She watched intently as he refused to deny it. “Murders a strong line to cross.” Neither of them spoke for a few moments before Heath shrugged his shoulders. Bianca continued all the while directing her gaze towards him. “Brax did though didn’t he? Two weeks after Charlie was shot.” She could sense his unease. Echoing his own words from earlier she continued. “Coincidence that, isn’t it?” He paused for a few seconds at her words before thinking better of himself and forcing a grin.

“Clearly.”

She averted her eyes and continued to walk slowly as the sky now darkened to a purplish hue. Sensing that his response had not been sufficient enough to get his point across he addressed her bluntly. “Like you said…” She turned to face him. “He’s moved on.” She allowed a small smile to play across her lips aware that it was coming across as incredibly patronising. She didn’t care. Shaking her head slightly she let her arm swing by her side before speaking. “Perhaps he has.” She hesitated unsure of whether to air her own personal opinion and deny her own feelings over her recent relationship troubles. “…but from experience nobody moves on that quickly.” She paused as his gaze focused upon her. “How long’s it been since she got out?” She hesitated before continuing solemnly. “7 weeks?” He continued to watch her as she smiled at him sympathetically. “Staring into space all the time? Reserved? Narky and irritable? Flies off the handle when you mention her name?” She watched as his silence acknowledged his recognition of the signs she was relaying. Turning back towards the beach she finished her sentence. “I think you’ll find he’s probably mustering all the will power he has to force himself to stay away from her.”

Allowing him the time to think about what she had said she hesitated contemplating whether to say what she wanted to say. Throwing caution to the wind she continued nonetheless. "Many people have a lot of respect for Charlie round here. She has a lot of friends." He gazed across at her confused as to what she was implying. “Your point?” She shook her head indifferently. “I don’t have a point.” Pausing slightly, she stopped in her tracks and turned to face him. “I just think it’d be unfortunate for Brax if suddenly people started to look at him in a different light.” Heath watched her intently. Her expression remained calm and, regardless of whether she was feeling it she displayed no qualms or emotion. “He’s made a bit of a name for himself round here and people are finally beginning to trust him again."

Heath stopped and glanced across at her unsure of whether to display shock or bemusement. Deciding on the latter he paused before speaking. “Are you making a threat there Miss Scott?” She smiled at him slightly before they continued to walk.

“No, just thinking out loud.”

He hesitated unsure of what to say stopping in his current position. Sensing that he was no longer following her she paused in her tracks before turning round to face him. “What makes you think I’d want to try and convince him back into her arms?” She shook her head slightly.

“That’s not what I’m asking.” She watched as he shook his head indifferently.

"He’s not interested."

Reigniting the swinging of her sandals in her hand she shrugged her shoulders before finally speaking. ‘If that’s true then you talking to him won’t make any difference will it?" She glanced across at him sympathetically choosing to address him calmly. Only her refusal to relinquish his gaze denied the fact that she was asking him, Heath Braxton, to do her a favour.

“He owes her half an hour.” She paused. “He won’t listen to me...but he might you.” Smiling across at him earnestly she pleaded to him gently before turning her back on him and making her way back in the direction in which they’d come. “What have you got to lose?”

Archived