Frozen in Time

Guest Claire_Blake

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks to all who are reading and reviewing, means a lot. Sorry for the lack of replies lately, I've been a bit busy but have a few free days now so will get a few more up and running. Thanks again.

--------------------------------------------------------

“Ditch them on the floor there and we’ll sort them out in a bit.”

Ruby dropped the bags down in the kitchen before leaning back against the wall, fanning her self theatrically and trying to regain her breath. It was hot. So hot and Charlie had insisted on setting off early from their trip in order to avoid the early morning traffic back from the coast. Most people were still in bed right now. Charlie laughed at her daughter’s overstatement, passing her a carton of orange as she poured herself a glass of water and drank it slowly. She smiled as VJ ran into the kitchen, shorts on and greeted them warmly.

“Hey, how was the trip?”

Ruby filled him in as Charlie fished in her bag for her phone before placing it on the counter next to her. She’d had a few missed calls and unanswered texts from Bianca and made a mental note to ring her at the first available opportunity. Turning to face their conversation she watched amused as VJ opened the back door and stood next to his surf board enthusiastically.

“You’re eager. You off to the beach?”

VJ picked up the board excitedly before turning to face where Charlie was standing.

“Yeah. Brax said he’d give me a lesson today if I got up early.”

She forced a smile in his direction as she watched him looking eagerly at the clock behind her. Sensing his impatience and inability to be impolite she laughed beckoning for him to get going and told him to be careful on the surf. Ruby glanced across at her mother sensing that her initial early morning good mood was on the verge of being threatened by VJ’s innocent mention of the Braxton name. Sensing her discomfort and habit of over analysing everything Ruby beckoned to her and elbowed her in the side playfully.

“Put the kettle on then.”

They were joined by Leah who entered the kitchen, slice of toast hanging out of her mouth and doing her top button up. She was clearly running late. “Hey” She gave Charlie a quick hug before pausing for a second to swallow the contents of her mouth.

“How was it? Fun, frolics and mother and daughterly bonding?”

Charlie watched as Ruby raised her eyebrow. Throwing a cloth at her in offence she feigned a hurt look. Ruby grinned in jest as Charlie proceeded to pour out the contents of the kettle. She motioned to Leah who was now searching frantically round the kitchen for her handbag. Grinning, Ruby passed it to her in amusement. “I’m gonna be late again.” Placing it over her shoulder before grabbing another slice of toast from the sideboard she turned to Charlie. “I’m sorry. You can tell me all about it later.” She smiled shooting Ruby a look of amusement. “Bianca was going to come round actually. So we can have a girly night... Catch up. You can tell me all about any coastal men?’ She had, of course, been joking but Charlie watched, alarmed, as Ruby grinned opening her mouth to speak. She cut her off quickly and ignored Ruby’s bemused gaze as she beckoned for her friend to get going before she was any later.

She put the kettle down before stirring the contents of the cups and passing one to Ruby.

“So what are you going to do today?”

Ruby blew into the tea, before shrugging her shoulders. “I dunno, go find Case.” She flicked through her phone absentmindedly. “Try and wangle some free food from Brax?” She stopped, looking up and immediately cursing her lack of thought. Smiling, Charlie beckoned for her daughter not to worry about it. Placing the cup of tea down beside her she gazed across at her seriously.

“Look…” She held up her hand as Ruby made an effort to interrupt her and carried on with what she was going to say. “Brax and I…” She hesitated as Ruby glanced across at her eagerly from across the room. “It’s over. I know that and, really…I’m fine with it. I’m not going to burst into tears at the mention of his name.” She smiled across at her daughter who was shifting her feet, slightly embarrassed, underneath her. “He’s made it pretty clear that things have changed and that’s good for me. For us. This is a new start Rubes. You concentrate on your HSC and I’ll concentrate on finding a new job until the inquiry comes back.” She gazed across at Ruby who, sensing that her mother had said all she had to say, judged it as an appropriate time for her to now say her piece.

“But I hate the way he’s treated you. Charlie he hasn’t once come round to see how you are.” Her voice betrayed more venom that she intended and she paused watching as Charlie shifted on her feet uncomfortably across from her. “You’ve lost everything. A job that you love, half the station are outright refusing to talk to you and you’re getting harassed by the paper. His only redeeming quality is that he nearly killed the man that did this to you.” She signalled to her mother’s healing stomach. Charlie ran her fingers through her hair uncomfortably at Ruby’s outburst. Clearly her daughter was cleverer than she gave her credit for. She exhaled loudly. “I just want to put everything behind me Ruby. The police found no evidence against him so they’ve shelved the case.” She glanced across as her daughter snorted in amusement. “I’m not stupid, I know Brax had something to do with it but they can’t prove that he did. He’s a hell of a lot more intelligent than people give him credit for. I just want all of this to go away now. I’ve thought long and hard about it and I, honestly, think it’d be better for us…for our family, if we just try and move on. Whoever was responsible for Pirovic has given us the opportunity to put this whole trouble to bed and we’d be silly not to take it.”

Despite listening earnestly and understanding what Charlie was trying to say, Ruby struggled to be so forgiving. “But he hurt you Charlie. This is all his doing and now he’s running round town…” She stopped suddenly once again kicking herself for her inability to think before she opened her mouth. Sensing her unease Charlie smiled sympathetically across at her.

“I know about the girl.”

Ruby hesitated watching her mother’s attempts to speak without displaying any underlining emotion. She shrugged her shoulders confused. “How? Why didn’t you say anything?” Taking another sip of her tea Charlie forced a smile before answering her question as honestly as she could. “I’m not stupid Rubes. People talk and, above all else, I have eyes.” Pausing she took another sip of her drink before continuing. “She seems nice.” Ruby spat out the contents of her mouth at the statement, shaking her head in disbelief. “Charlie!” She held her hand up slightly to silence her as she attempted to finish what she’d started addressing her calmly. “No, Ruby, you have to listen to me… Brax and I are over. That’s the bottom line. I wanted it to work. …I really did. With all my heart and, at times, I really thought it could…but it didn’t. That’s the end of it.” Ruby watched as Charlie’s words betrayed her and she finally let some kind of emotion display across at her face. She was hurting. That was all to clear to see and even from where she was standing she could see tears begin to develop in her mother’s eyes. Ignoring Charlie’s attempts to convince her she was ok she walked over and put her arms around her instinctively holding her tightly. The past few weeks had seemed to bring them closer than they’d ever been and the thought that her mother was hurting because of a man, especially Darryl Braxton who’d she’s always defended to the hilt, was breaking her heart. Stepping back only slightly Ruby reached up and wiped a solitary tear from her cheek before smiling up at her earnestly. “I don’t know whether I can be fine with him Charlie. You might be able to but I can’t.’ Charlie removed a stray strand of hair from her daughter’s face and pushed it back behind her ear. She shrugged her shoulders in answer. “He doesn’t owe me anything Ruby. Neither of us do. It was nice whilst it lasted but, he’s moved on and…I need to do the same. The past few weeks have been some of the worst in my life and I have to remember that.”

She forced a smile as she stroked Ruby’s cheek affectionately. “From now on we go back to normal. I don’t want you getting upset. I’m in a good place now and, honestly, I’m fine.” She smiled down at her warmly. “I’m going to invite a few people over later, get a few bottles of wine in and I’m going to go down to the restaurant and order some food for us.” She watched as Ruby looked up at her shocked. Charlie was willing, despite everything, to once again make the first move. She shrugged her shoulders complacently still holding her daughter’s hand tightly. “I have to see him sooner or later and I can’t be doing with pussy footing around each other anymore. We live in the same town… I’d rather bump into him on my own terms and get it over with than be caught off guard.” She smiled somewhat at the implication. “Besides, I think, knowing him, he’ll be so alarmed to see me that I’ll be in and out of there before he even has a chance to register my presence.” Smiling she squeezed Ruby’s hand affectionately. She, meanwhile, remained silent not convinced at what Charlie was saying.

“Why are you so grown up? If that was Casey I’d never ever want to see him again.”

Charlie sighed, pinching her daughter’s cheek playfully and trying to stifle a laugh. “I am a grown up sweetheart and however much I might want to slap him in the face…I don’t really think that’ll help the situation.”

I love love love this fic...!!!

I love Charlie in this... Please keep her like this...

Brax.... Im not sure how am feelign about him... He keeps reminding me of the Brax on the show.. so am getting really peeved with him... :P

I love Charlie and Ruby in this too... Their relationship is brill...

Cant wait for Charlie and Brax to finally meet after all this... brax is a coward...!!!

Looking forward to the update plz update soon.. Am dying to know how it goes...

Beautifully written btw... Your brill :)

Great update,

Glad that Ruby and Charlie had a good trip away.

The interactions between Charlie and Ruby in that chapter cracked me up :lol:. Some classic lines in that chapter!

Wonder what Brax is going to say when he sees Charlie? Hmm looking forward to more!!

More soon please :D

Archived