Frozen in Time

Guest Claire_Blake

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the reviews :). I thought it was probably unfair to leave it at that point for a prolonged period. :wink:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Casey watched intrigued as Charlie made her way towards the bar and stood beside Ruby. Smiling, he greeted her warmly asking her how the trip was to which she replied positively yet shortly. Heath meanwhile continued to reap pleasure out of the situation and readjusted himself on the bar stool, grinning accordingly.

“Buckton. It’s been a while. We’ve missed you.”

Ruby glared across at him less than amused. Heath didn’t do good will. Charlie stared at him before raising her eyebrows and drawing attention to his position at the bar. “Nice to see nothing much has changed hey Heath.” She signalled to the beer in front of him. He grinned at her attempt to get a rise out of him. He didn’t take the bait. Nothing could diminish his mood right now. Brax meanwhile had, to the casual onlooker, finally summoned the courage to move and had slowly resumed his position behind the bar. Ignoring him Ruby turned to face her mother in eager anticipation.

“So shall we make a move. Get the pizza and go?”

Charlie ignored the question and continued to focus her gaze upon Heath who, out of the corner of her eye, was in the midst of trying to gain her attention. She watched as he took a large mouthful of his beer before placing it down on the bar in front of him.

“Shame about Pirovic wasn’t it?” He hesitated as he became aware of Brax glaring at him from behind the bar. “But then I guess if you go around shooting at the pigs you can’t expect to get off lightly.” She raised her eyebrows letting her arm rest impatiently at her hip.

“And you, of course, saw nothing, heard nothing and are completely oblivious?”

He laughed at the assumption reaching for his beer again. “Spot on Buckton. I should speak to your superiors, they might reinstate you if they knew your potential.’

Charlie ignored his tone and turned back to her daughter’s position beside her. Jude meanwhile continued to sit in between them glancing nervously in Brax’s direction. He was still preoccupied with writing out an irrelevant order and, despite her attempts to catch his attention, he refused to look up and make eye contact with anyone. Sensing that his older brother was, yet again, on the verge of being a prized git, Casey ran his fingers through his hair impatiently and glared across at him.

“Heath.”

The latter laughed, smiling in his direction and holding his hands up as if in mock defeat. He leant back on the stool complacently turning to face her.

“Only making friendly banter. Buckton doesn’t mind, do you?”

She feigned a smile of sarcasm in his direction. Undeterred he took a swig of his beer before turning to face where she was now making light conversation with Casey and Ruby. It, suddenly dawning upon him, of Jude’s remaining presence. He ignored Casey’s warning glances and signalled loudly to her presence to him.

“How rude of us. I doubt you’ve been introduced to our friend here?”

Charlie hesitated glancing down at the presence of the person thus far she’d managed to avoid speaking to. She watched as the girl smiled across at her. It wasn’t fake or insincere, she was being genuine which aside from being an inconvenience due to her want of automatically disliking her, it also meant she clearly didn’t have a clue. Grimacing at Heath’s raised voice and aware that a few people in the restaurant were beginning to glance curiously in their direction she smiled back at her. Heath meanwhile had deemed the introduction to be somewhat lacking so had taken it upon himself to take charge.

“This is Jude…Brax’s new girlfriend.”

Jude went to open her mouth to say something but Heath interjected, interrupting her and smiling across at Charlie.

“This, sweetheart, is our local police Sergeant. Not too sure you two would get along too well though. I think, perhaps, you might have too much in common.”

Charlie scowled across at him, forcing a sympathetic smile in the girl’s direction and shot Ruby a warning look as she watched her daughter’s anger rise and threaten to boil over. Brax throughout the whole furore had, noticeably, remained silent. Jude, whether uncomfortable with the tension or growing tired of Heath’s control of the conversation smiled across at Charlie sincerely. “It’s nice to meet you.” From behind her, Heath let out an audible snort of laughter. Charlie chose not to dignify him with a response and glanced down at the girl opposite her. Returning the gesture she acknowledged the welcome.

“And you hun… I see you’re already well acquainted with this idiot?’

Jude laughed somewhat as Heath took a large mouthful of the bottle in front of him and directed his bemused attention to Brax’s preoccupied scribbling in front of him. Turning to face Charlie he glared across at her complacently.

“So, I hear you're recently back on the market…”

Casey watched intently as Brax struggled to retain his composure closing his eyes momentarily and placing the pen down on the bar. He was beginning to clench his fists and, from vast experience, this was a sure start precursor to some kind of brawl. Oblivious of his current bordering upon the line, Heath continued nonetheless.

“Fancy going for a drink sometime?”

Before she had an opportunity to speak, they were startled. The atmosphere, suddenly and loudly, interrupted by the sound of a glass being slammed forcefully down on the opposite side of the bar.

“That’s enough!”

Heath glared across at his older brother taken aback slightly by his outburst. Casey meanwhile let go of Ruby’s hand wary of the veins currently protruding from Brax’s temple and his snarling attention still fixed angrily in Heath’s direction. Jude, meanwhile, stared intently at him. Not only had she been alarmed by his sudden loss of temper, the venom he was currently directing in his brother’s direction was clear for all to see. Watching intently as Heath turned in the direction of Charlie she glanced across at where this woman was currently preoccupied with fixing her eyes solely upon Brax. The atmosphere was palpable. Growing steadily uneasy with what was going on around them Jude looked between the two again. Turning to Brax’s position behind the bar she shifted on her current position uncomfortably.

“Maybe we should head off before it gets too late.”

Charlie relinquished her gaze from him and turned to face Ruby who, upset, was desperately signalling for them to leave soon. Brax, meanwhile, glanced up at Jude’s words but made no effort to reply to them. Instead he glanced across at Charlie, finally making eye contact with her. She followed his gaze and stood staring at him silently. She had no intention of making this easy for him. He would have to make the first move. After what seemed like a lifetime but, in reality, was little more than a few seconds Brax averted his gaze running his fingers through his hair impatiently.

“Your food will be ready in ten. If I’d have known…”

He paused mid sentence unsure of what, exactly, he had been going to say. He would have arranged it quicker? He would have insisted Casey took it? He didn’t know. Jude meanwhile, all too aware of his decision to ignore her question and now growing uncomfortable by a combination of Heath’s grin next to her and Brax’s visible discomfort, moved slightly in the seat. This hadn’t exactly been what she’d expected from her afternoon. Besides, she wasn’t stupid and the way everyone was taking in in turns to focus on Brax and Charlie indicated what she had not already known.

“I might head off. I have a few things to do…”

Glancing up to where Brax was now glaring, confused, in her direction she forced a smile. “I think, perhaps, I’m in the way a bit here.” She spoke calmly. Going off on one wouldn’t solve whatever was going on here, besides, it wasn’t in her character, Brax remained stationary unsure of how exactly he was meant to respond. Did he try to persuade her to stay? Go with her or let her go? She, meanwhile, recognised his confusion and opted to make the decision on his behalf. Reaching for her bag from the floor Charlie shifted uncomfortably next to her moving slightly to let her out and returning the girl’s smile sympathetically. Heath meanwhile, amused by the spectacle, turned to face her,

“Don’t get going. The party’s only just started.”

Jude frowned across at him not impressed by his current tone. She didn’t know Charlie, nor did she know anything about her but Heath clearly hated her. She felt sorry for her. Whatever was going on, despite his visible glee, nobody else found very funny. He was on his own. Undeterred Heath placed his bottle back down on the counter before continuing.

“We were just about to initiate a game of spot the most significant ex..."

He signalled to where Charlie stood staring across at him intently. Having managed to retain her composure thus far she averted her gaze from him slowly sensing that she was on the verge of losing it. Brax meanwhile glanced across from Heath to her and witnessed her visible pain and discomfort. Heath, however, continued to cross the line.

“He was sleeping with this one.” He elbowed Charlie in the side playfully in an attempt to ensure that Jude was clear upon who he was referring to. He’d had far too much to drink and was currently in the process of slurring his words.

“and then…to cut a long story short, he got her shot, ditched her…then jumped into bed with you. Did I leave anything out Buckton?”

At this Casey rose from his chair and rushed over to Heath amidst Brax’s patience finally diminishing and his immediate violent lunge in his brother's direction. Charlie however had sensed what was about to happen and stepped in front of Heath blocking Brax’s fist from making contact with his face. Instinctively, she grabbed his shirt and holding him off slightly signalled for him to calm down. Here she remained, breathing heavily, hand still wrapped round the material of his t-shirt in an attempt to keep him at bay. From the position of her hands she could feel his heart beating through his chest. Pushing him gently so that he directed his gaze from him to her, she warned him again.

“Calm down!”

Jude meanwhile watched the spectacle unfold between the two and, hesitating, made her escape on the basis that she’d catch up with him later and had to head off. Amused, not least because of the amount he’d had to drink, Heath held his hands up laughing in final defeat. Casey by this point had dragged Heath up from his seat and began forcefully to shove him in the direction of the exit.

“It’s time for you to leave.”

Despite his brother’s humoured protests Casey grabbed his beer from the bar and, aided by a hesitant Ruby, proceeded to thrust him in the direction of the entrance and chaperone him outside. Turning away from their direction, Charlie turned to face Brax as he stared at her intently. Aware of people slowly beginning to look over in their direction she hesitated…letting go of his shirt and stepping back slightly. He continued to glance at her before shaking his head. Barely audible and slowly he spoke. He looked defeated.

“I’m sorry Charlie.”

Charlie held eye contact with him refusing to relinquish her ground. She shrugged her shoulders complacently. “How far does that sorry go back?” This hurt and what she had hoped to avoid. She didn’t want to hear any excuses or attempts at placation. She was worried that would be enough for her. Opening his mouth to speak he glanced in the direction of the entrance in which Casey and Ruby were now making their way back, slowly, towards them. He shook his head slightly and reached across touching the side of her face with the pad of his thumb.

“As far back as you need it to go.”

She moved back as if stung by his touch and shook her head. Her eyes however remained fixed upon him and she slowly began to feel herself losing her own composure and cursed the tears she knew were beginning to develop in her eyes right now. Turning instead to Ruby who had now reclaimed her position next to her and was currently in the process of bemoaning Heath’s behaviour, she forced a smile before looking in the direction of the kitchen.

“Right, we have a party to arrange so where’s this food?” Brax continued to focus his attention upon her as they were interrupted by the arrival of a waiter who handed a bag to Ruby. Turning to face Casey, Charlie smiled at him before signalling towards the entrance. She didn’t dignify Brax with her attention at all.

“Are we ready to get going?” Glancing across from his brother’s vacant expression to Charlie and back to Ruby, Casey hesitated, unsure of whether it was wise to leave him here on his own. Glancing again at Ruby’s impatient expression he turned to Charlie nodding in the affirmative. Forcing a smile in Brax’s direction he moved aside to let Charlie and Ruby go in front before following them in the direction of the entrance.

“I’ll see you later.”

Once having made some ground and walked down the stairs out of the restaurant Casey reached across for Ruby’s hand, forcing a smile of apology in her direction. She took it, resting her head on his shoulder for a second before picking up the pace and following Charlie’s eager lead. He walked out of the Surf Club and towards the car park where Charlie was now impatiently waiting for them. Glancing absentmindedly at an open window upstairs he tried to ignore the sound of an alarmed gasp as a glass forcefully made contact with one of the walls. Hesitating, yet driven by Ruby, he contemplated going back upstairs before thinking better of it, sitting in the passenger seat next to her. Glancing up at the restaurant he exhaled loudly before slamming the car door shut.

That was Brill... Your an amazing writer... :)

I felt sorry for Jude... But i liked how Heath didnt try to be nice about it...

Heath told Brax what noone seems to have told him... He wasnt even man enough to end it wiht her properly...

Looking forward to the next chapter...

We need more Charlie and Brax interaction... What happens to Jude...

I was also glad charlie didnt make it easier for Brax... Shows she isnt weak...

Update soon plz... :)

That was Brill... Your an amazing writer... :)

I felt sorry for Jude... But i liked how Heath didnt try to be nice about it...

Heath told Brax what noone seems to have told him... He wasnt even man enough to end it wiht her properly...

Looking forward to the next chapter...

We need more Charlie and Brax interaction... What happens to Jude...

I was also glad charlie didnt make it easier for Brax... Shows she isnt weak...

Update soon plz... :)

There'll be a lot more Charlie and Brax interaction in the next couple of chapters. Hang in there. ;)

Archived