Frozen in Time

Guest Claire_Blake

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally- who knows? Ha. Thank you again to all who are reading and reviewing. I'm enjoying writing it.

-----------------------------------

“Did you know about this?”

Cheryl glared across at Heath from where they were sitting in the hospital waiting room. She had argued extensively over the inconvenience of having to follow the ambulance but, in light of recent events, Heath had practically thrown her in the car on the basis of wanting to keep his eye on her at all times. Removing his head from his hands and frowning across at her, he shot her a look of bewilderment. “Know about what?”

Leaning forward impatiently whilst tapping her foot on the floor she shot him a look of disbelief. “Don’t try and be smart with me.” She rocked back and forward on her chair visibly bored. “Darryl sleeping with the pigs?” Rubbing his hands through his hair yet again, Heath shot her a look of utter disbelief. Only she could be so insensitive. Choosing to refrain from dignifying her question with a response he contemplated searching the place out for a coffee machine before his thoughts were interrupted by the presence of Ruby and Casey hastily making their way towards them.

Standing up, he nodded to Case solemnly before turning to look across at Ruby. Visibly shaking with tears streaming down her face she implored him to tell her where her mother was. Lifting his hand in an effort to try and convince her to calm down he answered her honestly; “She’s gone into surgery Ruby. We won’t know anything until she gets out. I’m sorry kid.” He watched as Casey took Ruby in his arms as she broke down in uncontrollable fits of tears. Her mother had been shot and all she could do was wait around uselessly. Casey glanced across at Heath who shook his head sombrely. It wasn’t looking good. The ambulance had arrived at the house but by that point Charlie had already fallen unconscious. Cheryl had been of little help contemplating how she was going to get that much blood off her new three piece sofa whilst Heath had been left to physically drag his brother away from her in order to let the ambulance crew do their job. Brax had gone in the ambulance with her and him and Cheryl, on her part at least, had begrudgingly followed behind. Considering he was driving he’d given his mother the coveted task of ringing Casey in order to inform Ruby of what had happened under strict instructions that if she was insensitive at any point he’d throw her out of the vehicle. Upon arriving at the hospital Charlie had been met by a team of Consultants almost immediately and they’d rushed her up to theatre to try and stem the bleeding and remove the bullet from where it was currently lodged in her abdomen. Brax, meanwhile, had been cornered by the cops. One of the neighbours must have called them. They’d been waiting there ready to pounce as soon as they’d set foot within the hospital compound. Pre-occupied with sickening worry over Charlie their attempts at talking to his brother had been met by a swift fist to the face. Losing his temper Brax had lashed out and subsequently seen himself arrested and dragged into the hospital police bay for questioning by someone that Heath didn’t consider likely to give him an easy ride.

Looking across at the clock on the wall, Heath exhaled impatiently. It had been over an hour since they’d arrived and he’d started to grow agitated. Upon waiting for the ambulance crew to arrive and the rush to get to the hospital he’d failed to question Brax as to where he’d stashed the gun. Without meaning to sound insensitive time was dragging on and, however concerned he was for Ruby’s mum, he was aware that the Cops would probably be crawling round the house any time soon. Sensing his anxiety, Casey shot him a questioning look from where Ruby was now nestled quietly under his arm. Heath shook his head before reaching in his pocket for his phone. Standing up slowly, he replaced it in his pocket before turning to face Casey. “I’m sorry mate. I’ve got something I need to sort out.” Casey glanced in his direction, nodding in acknowledgement of his brother’s concern for leaving him right now. “I’ll be half an hour tops.” Turning to face Ruby he smiled at her sympathetically but found that her gaze was fixed solely on the wall in front of her. She didn’t look up. Judging this as an ample opportunity to make her own excuses Cheryl stood up slinging her bag over her shoulder. Heath, meanwhile, glared at her before beckoning her to sit back down again. Impatiently she shifted on the spot before turning to face Casey. “I better go with your brother and keep an eye on him.” Casey turned away in disgust, stroking Ruby’s head affectionately. Firing a warning look at her Heath told her to stay put and mind the kids much to her disappointment. “Make yourself useful. Go and get them a coffee or, likewise, go and find out what they’ve done with Brax. An opportunity to shout your mouth off. There you go, you’ll enjoy that.” Sitting back in her previous position, Cheryl shot Heath a look of frustration before fishing around in her bag for her phone. Coming to the conclusion that she’d left it at home she leaned back in the chair impatiently letting out a loud sigh. Looking over to where Ruby had now sat up and was glancing in her direction she feigned a smile of sympathy before grabbing a leaflet from next to her and setting about to read it begrudgingly.

-----------------------------

“Mr Braxton, before we get on to the subject of assaulting a police officer, we’re curious as to know why Sergeant Buckton was at the house in the first place?”

Rubbing his hands through his hair impatiently Brax clasped his hands together under the table in an effort to stop them from shaking. He felt sick. Glancing at the clock behind where the officers were sitting in front of him he read it impatiently. It was 4.10pm. She’d been in there for an hour already. Sensing his unease and the direction of his gaze, the female officer directed her attention at the clock, “Are we keeping you Mr Braxton. Have you somewhere more important you need be right now?”

Ignoring the sarcastic tone of her voice, Brax turned to address her male colleague who was stationed directly opposite him. He looked at his handiwork as the guy’s temple had begun to develop a bluish hue already. Retracting his gaze Brax shifted uncomfortably on the seat he’d been thrown into. Mustering the will power to not address her by her first name he questioned the Detectives as to Charlie’s condition. “Sergeant Buckton? Has she come out of theatre yet?” The female officer glanced across at her colleague before she leant forward and spoke to him. “No Mr Braxton. As curious as we are to know why you are seemingly so concerned, Sergeant Buckton has yet to come out of theatre. We will inform you as, and when, we know anything ourselves.” Allowing himself to relax only slightly, Brax leaned back in the chair stretching his arms behind his head and rubbing his temple forcefully. Had it not been for the hollow look in his eye and the blatant worry etched across his face the gesture may have come across as a sign of cockiness.

Turning to address him again, the officer leaned forward slightly before repeating his previous question. “Now as we asked you earlier Mr Braxton, Sergeant Buckton why was she at your address?” Deciding to use the time as a means of attempting to stop himself from going insane Brax answered the question honestly. “She said something about being called out to a disturbance.” Pleased that they were making progress, the officer sat back in his chair crossing his arms before shrugging his shoulders. “And?” Brax shifted on his chair uncomfortably. “And what?” Glancing across at his partner the male Officer raised his eyebrow before turning to face him yet again. “And what was the disturbance Mr Braxton?” Clasping his hands together Brax shrugged his shoulders indifferently; “There was no disturbance. I came round and Charl…Sergeant Buckton was in the house having a conversation with my Mother.” Raising his eyebrow yet again at Brax’s reference to Charlie’s first name, he glared across at his colleague before questioning him further. “So what where they talking about?” Slowly losing his patience amidst continuously glaring at the clock upon the wall, Brax answered his question abruptly. “I don’t know. Comparing makeup tips, sharing fashion advice.” Frowning across at where the Officer was now glaring at him impatiently Brax’s demeanour indicated his mentality; ask a stupid question and you’ll receive a stupid response.

Deciding to fast forward the conversation in light of their lack of progress the female officer hesitated before bringing up the question of the shooting. Explaining that Charlie had vacated the premises and that was when he heard shots fired the male officer glared across at him in a bemused manner; ‘and let me guess you didn’t see the driver, nor did you see the colour of the car and, despite, it being parked outside your house you didn’t consider to write down the number plate.’ Brax glared across at him. If not for the fact that he was worried they’d cart him off to the station he contemplated leaning over and punching him again. Shrugging his shoulders Brax agreed in the affirmative. Growing impatient the officer’s glanced across at each other before the female tried a new line of approach.

“Can I ask you one question, Mr Braxton?”

Shrugging his shoulders in recognition of the fact that, regardless of his answer, she would anyway, Brax waited impatiently. Turning to her colleague yet again she then turned to face him curiously. “Why would a guy like you care so much about a Cop being shot?” Directing her gaze to the clock behind her she beckoned to his continuous preoccupation with the time.

Choosing not to question the underlying attempt at criticising his character, Brax turned to her face her inquisitively. “Sergeant Buckton and I have a good relationship. I consider her a friend.” Raising her eyebrows and glaring at her colleague in response to his answer, she allowed him to continue the conversation.

“A friend that only weeks earlier arrested you for making a nuisance of yourself in your local town Mr Braxton. Doesn’t sound like a reciprocated friendship to me?” Shrugging his shoulders in an attempt to placate his recognition of the direction the conversation was taking, Brax let the Officer continue. “Is there something going on here that we are not aware of Mr Braxton?” Questioning what he was implying, Brax tapped his fingers on the table impatiently as the female Officer continued. “The ambulance crew said you were rather concerned upon arrival.” Staring him point blank in the face she addressed him further, “Distraught some might say?”

Finally having lost his patience, Brax slammed his fist down on the table violently as he implored them to charge him and let him go. All the while he continued to stare at the clock positioned adjacent to them. Glaring across at his colleague before frowning slightly and getting out his pen the male Officer tensed as Darryl Braxton confirmed what he had already suspected.

------------------------------------------

“Get out of my way.”

Cheryl stood with her hand on her hip impatiently in front of an Officer stationed outside the Police bay. Having grown impatient and restless sitting round whilst Casey tended to a sniffling Ruby she’d gotten up in search of trying to find out where Darryl had been dragged to. She watched with annoyance as the Officer made no attempt at relinquishing his position. Raising her eyebrows she glared at him before shaking her head. “One in the same you pigs aren’t you? Always knocking on our door.” Thrusting her finger in his face she continued her rant oblivious to the fact that it was having the opposite effect, “Well I’m tellin’ ya, my boy has done nothing wrong so you better release him now.” Opening her mouth in an attempt to continue her tirade of abuse she was interrupted by the momentary shifting of the officer as he stepped out of the way to let his colleague exit the door behind him.

Recognising him as the constable Brax had assaulted, she retained her hand on her hip before pointing at him accusingly; “You. Where is my boy? I have a right to speak to him.” Raising his eyebrows in recognition of her presence, the officer turned to Cheryl before signalling for his colleague to disperse.

“Mrs Braxton. Your son has been arrested for assaulting a police officer.” Watching as she grunted at his statement he continued, “As I’m sure you are aware, we also have the small problem to deal with of the so called fire fight outside of your house this afternoon.” Raising his eyebrows at her visible impatience he ignored her blatant rudeness and continued, “And that’s without mentioning the attempted murder of one of my colleagues." Shaking his head at her he continued slowly, "so do try and excuse me if pandering to your son’s rights is not high on my priority list right now.” Standing his ground in front of the door he hesitated before signalling the officer to his retain his position in front of her. Walking across to the machine at the end of the corridor he waited patiently, preparing himself a coffee before leisurely walking past her and returning in the direction in which he’d come from. Glaring at the Officer now stationed in front of her yet again, Cheryl shot him a look of disgust before exhaling loudly and skulking off back towards the waiting area.

------------------------------

Ruby and Casey stood up from their position on the chairs at the presence of Sid walking towards them. Greeting him warmly, Casey squeezed Ruby’s hand in anticipation of what was to come. Hesitating she shifted on the spot before addressing him directly.

“Well?”

Smiling across at her, Sid motioned to them that it was as good a news as it could be at this moment in time. “The surgery went positively. We were able to remove the bullet from your Mum’s stomach. Unfortunately she’s lost a lot of blood and so the long term effects of that will not become clear until if, and when, she awakens.” Ruby bit her lip in recognition of the word ‘if’ as Sid shot Casey an apologetic look. He sometimes found it difficult to register that he was speaking to someone considerably younger than himself and inwardly cursed himself for his insensitivity. Smiling across at Ruby in an attempt to redeem himself he addressed her hopefully; “We’ve taken her to recovery where she’s in the best possible hands. The first twenty four hours is crucial and we’re hopeful that she will pull through. We’ve been able to stabilise her so she’s already making progress.” Addressing Casey he nodded at him before making his apologies and vacating the area; ‘As soon as I know anymore I’ll come and find you.”

Pulling Ruby towards him he forced a smile as, at last, she was able to relax a little. Charlie wasn’t out of the woods but they were hopeful that she would recover and hope was all Ruby needed to hear right now. Enveloping her in his arms he watched as his Mother rejoined them in the waiting room. Standing impatiently in the corridor she motioned to him as to what the verdict was. Smiling across at her, he stroked Ruby’s head as Cheryl sighed loudly before flinging herself back down on the chair in front of them.

“Finally.”

Amazing two update!

First update: !!Charlie got shot!! :o

Loved Heath trying to save her though - that was so cute. And aww at Brax trying to comfort Charlie :wub:

Must have been a shock for Cheryl to find out about Charlie and Brax that way!!

I hope Charlie's alright!!

Second update: Brax punching a police officer :lol:

Aww at how worried Brax was about Charlie :wub: but it kinda gave the game away about their relationship though,

Poor Ruby!! She must be so worried - waiting to find out if her mothers gonna be ok!!

More soon please :D

Archived