Fatal Attraction

Guest lollypop

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, nice update, like how Ruby's friends are there for.Casey vandalising Brax's car was a nice touch and I like how you portray Charlie and Brax's relationship, how she still has trouble resisting him even after everything that's happened.

Just started working on chapter 6. Hope to have it up tonight or tomorrow. Don't know how it's going to go...I tend to just make it up as I type. What do you think, should I go for all out heart wrenching stuff or just minor fluff? Hmmm.....guess it will depend on my mood.

Hey sorry it's taken so long to update. First I had a serious case of writers block, then when I finally did finish the chapter my computer crashed and it got deleted so I had to rewrite it. Anyways I hope you enjoy it and I can't wait to read you thoughts on it.

Chapter 6

Once Ruby's sobs had eased, Charlie gently helped her daughter up off the floor and helped guide her to the couch in the middle of the living room. Sitting her down, Charlie pulled the coffee table up closer and after placing a pilow on it, she carefully lifted Ruby's broken leg and placed on top of it. Making sure that it was well elevated. When she was sure her daughter was comfortable she walked around the coffee table and sat down on the couch next to Ruby, placing her arm around her shoulders. As Ruby wiped away the last of her tears, she apologised to her mother for waking her up and disturbing her sleep.

"Hey, listen to me, you have nothing to be sorry for", Charlie replied as she ran her fingers through Ruby' hair. "Don't ever apologise for needing me". Ruby smiled back at her with a thoughtful expression. Her breathing finally beginning to return to normal. Charlie sat up straighter, something she always did when she intended on asking something serious. "Rubes, how long have you been having these dreams?", she asked, suddenly very aware that she didn't know the extent of what Ruby was going through. When her daughter didn't answer her, Charlie lowered her head to Ruby's level to signify that she wouldn't give up until she got an answer. Ruby crossed her arms across her chest in a defensive manner and looked at Charlie with red eyes.

"Every night since the fire", she finally said in a voice that was barely audible. Charlie sighed heavily. How could she not have known what Ruby was going through? How could she not have seen the stress and worry that her daughter was feeling? And that's when it hit her. The reason Charlie couln't see it, was because she didn't want to see. Because if she saw what was really going on around her, it would make everything all too real. The reality of what the Riverboys had done, of Ruby's disability. The reality of Brax. If she let it all in it would hurt her more than she could bear. She closed herself off to her suspicions and let Brax in. All for it to back fire on her in ways unimaginable.

"Oh Ruby, why didn't you tell me?", Charlie said, edging closer to her daughter and tightening her grip around her shoulders. Ruby turned her head and gazed in Charlie's general direction, fidgeting with her hands as she sat there contemplating what to say. She felt exposed. Bearing her soul to Charlie was usually easy for her. But knowing that her other was so involved in what was causing her this anguish made it awkward for her to be honest. But sensing her mother gazing at her for a response, she knew she couldn't keep bottling it up. She had to tell her the truth and hope that the relief of getting it off her chest would ease her nightmares.

"Because you had enough going with the Riverboys and Brax and juggling work so you can take care of me, I just, I didn't want to add one more thing for you to worry about", she said. Charlie choked down a sob as her tears threatened to fall. Even after everything that she had been through, the fire, losing her sight, Ruby was still trying to be as stong as ever. It made Charlie sad. Sad because her daughter didn't deserve this. Sad because her daughter felt like she had to be strong because her mother wasn't capable of being strong enough for the both of them. Sad because she had brought this on their small intimate family. But not anymore. From now on she was going to put Ruby above everything and everyone else. She was going to be strong enough to carry them both through this ordeal. No matter how tough it got.

"Rubes, promise me that from now on, you'll be honest with me. I know you were just trying to spare my feelings, but I don't ever want you to feel like you have to carry around this burden on your own", Charlie said stroking Ruby's hair as she spoke. When she was done, Ruby nodded her head to show her awknowledgement of what her mother had just said. Reaching out her arms, Ruby gestured for a hug and found herself engulfed in Charlie's arms instantly. Feeling around her mother's chest, Ruby found the pendent hanging from her Charlie's neck and she cupped it in her hand. Running her fingers across the word 'mum' on the back.

"We're gonna get past this Rubes. I promise", Charlie said as she held Ruby in her arms. After both women had consoled themselves the seperated and sat back on the couch. Ruby sat quietly for a moment thinking about to broach the subject of her next question, but she knew that there was no easy way to bring it up. She just had to take the plunge. "Charlie, about you and Brax. Are you going to keep seeing each other?", she asked. There was silence. The one thing that really got to Ruby about being blind, other then feeling of complete helplessness, was the fact that she could no longer read a persons expression to find out how they were really feeling or whether or not they were being truthful.

"Lets not talk about that right now Rubes", Charlie said stroking Ruby's arms. Both women were suddenly startled by the noise of a handbag being slammed down onto the kitchen counter. Turning around, Charlie was stunned into silence by the arrival of Leah into the living. "Actually I think now is the perfect time to talk about Brax", Leah said as she crossed her arms. Sensing the tension, Ruby decided she would go back to bed and allow Charlie and Leah to have a private discussion. "Okay, I'll get Ruby to bed and then we'll talk", Charlie said as she stood, gently pulling Ruby up off the couch and guiding her to her bedroom. Once Ruby was settled back in her bed, Charlie crossed the room to where Jacob was sleeping in his doggy bed. She picked him up and brought him over to her daughters bed and sat down.

"Ususally I wouldn't allow Jacob to be up on the bed", Charlie said placing the dog down beside Ruby and placing her daughters hand on the pub, "But having him close by, I dunno, it might be like a comfort blanket or something". Ruby smiled as she stroked the little pups head. Placing a kiss on Ruby's forehead, Charlie stood up and walked to the door, turning her head, she took one last glance at her daughter and braced herself for the difficult conversation she was about to have. After one last deep breath, she walked out and closed the door behind her.

A half an hour had passed and Charlie and Leah were sat at the diner table in the living room. Charlie had told her housemate everything. About Brax, what he was, or had been involved in, the sneaking around, the Riverboys finding out, and, what really happened to Ruby and Casey. When she was finished, Leah sat shellshocked. She had her suspicions, but she never actually thought Charlie would have pursued a relationship Brax. Especially not since she kicked up so much of a fuss about how he was bad news. It also didn't help that over the last few months, Leah had developed her own distrust of the eldest Braxton and everything Riverboy related.

"I don't understand. You were the one who was the most suspicious of Brax when he first arrived. What changed?", she asked. Clearly confused by the sudden turn around. Charlie glanced up at Leah for the first time since she had finished explaining everything. "I don't know. I just, I saw a side of him that was different to the Brax that everyone else sees", she said rubbing her brow in frustration. Leah was bewildered. Sure, everyone has more than one side to them, but Brax was still a criminal. After everything Charlie had told her, she felt justified in her opinion that Brax wasn't as clean cut as he made himself out to be.

"I can understand the attraction. I'm sure we've all been swept up in the idea of being with a bad boy", Leah tried her best to cut Charlie some slack. Afterall, herself had been taken in by Brax's charms when he first arrived. But that didn't stop her from thinking Charlie had made a huge mistake. "But, to actually put yourself at such risk, it's not you Charlie. You always told me to trust my instincts when they were telling me something wasn't right. If you'd done the same thing instead of turning a blind eye because you were caught up in the rush, or whatever it was, then maybe you would have seen what was going on from the beginning". Charlie looked at Leah stunned. Her own friend had more or less made her out to be a fool. Like she chose to develop feelings for Brax.

"I'm sorry for being human Leah. I'm sorry that I was so blind to what was really going on. I made a mistake in how I chose to go about my relationship for Brax. But I want apologise for how I feel about him. How I felt about him", Charlie said, trying to defend her actions as those of someone who wasn't in control of her emotions. Leah could see in Charlie's eyes how sincere she was being, but there was a big part of her that, while understanding of Charlie's feelings, couldn't condone any sort of relationship between her housemate and the notorious Riverboy.

"Yeah a pretty big mistake. I can understand falling for someone you shouldn't. Believe me I do", Leah looked into Charlie's tears filled eyes and then continued. "But Charlie, Brax isn't good for you. He's dangerous. His world is dangerous. You being involved with him, it's already hurt Casey and it's cost Ruby the chance of a struggle free future", Leah said, trying her best to emphasis the fact that she believed Charlie had made a bad decision. Charlie sat there speechless, Leah's words stung her more than she thought they could. When the their full extent finally began to sink in Charlie found her voice again.

"Don't you think I know that", she said, the tears now falling freely as she spoke. "Everytime I look at Ruby I'm reminded of how badly I screwed. I'm her mum. I'm supposed to protect her from that world but instead I brought her into it. I let Brax into our lives and she got hurt. More than I can bare to think about", Charlie said her tears now turning into heart wrenching sobs as she thought of her daughter and of Brax. "I hate myself for what happened to Ruby. I blame myself for what happened to her. It's my fault, I'm the reason she's suffering", Charlie broke down in tears at the table. Leah reached over and took a hold of her friends hand. She decided there and then that thye had talked enough for the night. But before she called it a night she left Charlie with some parting words. "If that's how you feel, then you need to ask yourself if you could risk anything like that happening again. Because if decided to give Brax another chance, something like this WILL happen again". With that Leah stood up and went to bed. Living Charlie with a lot to think about.

Down by the beach, Casey sat in the darkness, listening to the sound of the water lapping against the sand. He wasn't sure how long he had been there. Just that he had spent the entire time he had been there thinking about Ruby. He missed her so much, but he couldn't bring himself to visit her. Not when he knew that it was the presence of his family in her life that was the reason she was hurt so badly. He blamed Brax for not being honest with him, but in a weird twisted way, he blamed himself. If he had never pursued a relationship with Ruby, then she would never have been such an easy target. Now that she was blind, Casey didn't know how he was supposed to deal with that.

He felt terrible for thinking about himself and how hard this was for him when Ruby was the one who actually had the disablity. But he didn't know what else to do. He didn't know how to act or how this would affect them. Taking out his iPhone he opened up the pictures of him and Ruby that they had taken at the beach. Flicking through them he felt a tear escape his eye and fall down his cheek. Wiping it away he stood up, and with one last look, he tossed the phone into the ocean out of anger. He loved Ruby, but deep down he couldn't help but feel that he was no good for her. As far was Casey was concerned, Ruby was better off without him.

From a distance, Brax holding a bottle of bourbon, watching Casey. It hurt him to see his brother like this. What was worse was, he was dealing with his own pain, as well as dealing with everyone elses. He had lost the only woman he ever truly cared about and he didn't know how to handle that. He never meant to hurt Charlie as much as he had. But he realised that lying to her about his double life was the biggest mistake he could have made. Maybe if he had just been honest from the start, things might have turned out differently. But that was something he would never know.

Taking a swig from the bottle of bourbon, he sat down on the sand. His mind racing at a hundred miles an hour. But the only thing he cared about was Charlie. He missed her. He wanted to make it up to her but he wasn't sure how? Or if it was even possible. What he did know, was that he probably screwed up the best thing that ever happened to him. And to top it all off his family had disowned him, Morag Bellingham was out to 'get' him and Brodie and the other Riverboys were still out there possibly, plotting another revenge move against him. And there was nothing he could do about it. Taking one more swig from the bottle, he stood up and tossed up the other end of the beach next to a sand pit. Then he walked back the pathway to the Surf Club.

The next morning Ruby found herself sitting on the beach waiting for her mother to pick her up. Xavier and April had called around earlier to visit and they persuaded her to go to the beach with them. Xavier had decided to hit the surf while the waves were so good and April had gone up to the Surf Club to get the all some juices. Sitting alone, Ruby listened intently to the spund of the ocean, the laughter of small children playing in the sand, the whispers of her school peers as they passed her by but didn't say anything to her. Just by listening Ruby felt like she could see them staring at her. Who wouldn't stare at the blind girl? she thought. After a couple of minutes had passed, Ruby began to feel very much alone.

Just then, she heard the sound of sand crunching under someone's feet coming from behind her. "Hey Rubes", Charlie said as she kissed the top of her daughter's head and sat down beside her. "Hey", Ruby replied, with less enthusiasm than Charlie would have liked. "Rubes, what's wrong?", she asked her daughter as she placed a hand on her arm. Ruby turned her head towards the direction of Charlie's voice and sighed. "It's just, being here. This beach, it's one of the most beauitful places in the Bay. And I'm never going to see it again", she said choking back tears. Charlie's face softened into a sympatheic look.

"Oh Rubes. Listen to me", Charlie said as she placed a hand on the side of her daughters face, "You can see it again. You just have to take everything in and picture it in your head", she finished, stroking Ruby's cheek. Raching up her hand, Ruby gently inched it forward until she felt it touch Charlie's face. Using this as a guide she brought up her other hand and began to feel out Charlie's face. "Rubes, sweetie, what are you doing?", Charlie asked. Confused by her daughters actions. Ruby continued to touch her mothers face. "If I feel out your facial expressions, I can picture you in my head. It's almost like I can see you again", she said. Charlie welled up with tears at the sentiment in what Ruby had said. Cupping one of her daughters hands in her own, she kissed it and then placed it on the side of her face, so Ruby could continue to 'see' her.

Next Time:

*Charlie pours her heart out to Bianca

*Leah tells Brax to stay away from Charlie

*Heath warns Brax of trouble ahead

*Ruby finally breaksdown over the reality of her disablity when a lunch date with her friends goes horribly wrong and someone unexpected comes to her rescue.

Archived