Fatal Attraction

Guest lollypop

Wow this is an absolutely amazing story!! :o

Like seriously, I don't think I have read a fic this good in agesss!

You are an unbelievable writer lollypop!

This story...it just astounds me!

Really cannot wait for the next chapter lollypop!

This fic is truly amazing!! :D

Agreed. I couldn't have said it better myself!

Fan-Freaking-tastic!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading this over the past couple of days and I love it!Making Ruby blind is a really brave move but it's totally appropriate and a nice way of showing the consequences of Brax and Charlie's actions.I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for all the amazing comments everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm currently in the middle of writing the next chapter so I hope to have it posted tonight or in the morning. Sorry for the wait and thanks again. :wink:

Chapter 5

Hanging up the phone, Charlie picked up her car keys and made her exit through the back door. She had just spent the last hour organising a surprise for Ruby and after careful consideration, Leah's approval and some lengthy research, she was now confident that she had everything in order. Thankfully, Indi, April and the rest of the gang had kindly taken Ruby out for a picnic so Charlie knew she had a couple of spare hours on her hands. Which was more than enough to get to and from the city in time to pick her daughter up from the Surf Club. However, just as she was preparing to set off, she was interrupted by the arrival of Constable Watson in a squad car.

Standing by her car with her arms across the open door, Charlie watched as her collegue made her way across the front lawn to where she was standing. The closer Watson got, the stronger the the urge Charlie felt to run. It had been weeks since the fire, but still neither Charlie or Brax had discussed what they would tell the police. The hadn't even sat down with Casey and Ruby to figure out how they felt about what happened and whether or not they were going to tell the truth or lie. That's what was currently eating away at Charlie. The idea of her own daughter lying to the police because of the risk Charlie and Brax faced legaly if it were to become public knowledge that they were conducting a secret affair whilst all the members of the Riverboys were under investigation. How could she ask Ruby to do that? After everything she had been through. It wouldn't be fair.

Which is why Charlie knew, no matter how eager Watson was to get any information, she had to turn her in the opposite direction until she could work things out herself. "G'day Charlie", Watson said as she came to a stop next to where her boss was standing. "I was wondering if Ruby was well enough to talk today. We really need to get a statement soon to keep the investigation going", she said tyring not to pressure her boss but knowing she still needed to do her job. "Watson now is not a good time. Ruby's a wreck, she' still adjusting to being......", Charlie trailed off, still finding it difficult to acknowledge the fact that her daughter was blind. ".....to her disablity. She's barely sleeping, her emotions are all over the place. She's not ready to talk about what happened yet", she finished with a pleading look, almost begging Watson to lay off for the time being.

Noticing the anguish etched across Charlie's face, Watson decided to drop it for the time being. Ruby had been through quite a lot so she figured she could drag out getting a statement from her for at least another couple of days. But she was under pressure at work to keep the momentum going in the investigation and no matter how badly Charlie wanted to sidestep it, Watson knew that sooner rather than later, it had to be done. Saying her goodbyes to Charlie, she walked back across the lawn and climbed into her squad car. Turning the car on she headed off in the direction of the Surf Club. Charlie and Ruby may not be ready to talk, but she figured she could at least try and talk to Brax and Casey.

Once out of sight, Charlie reached for her phone and dialled her stepmothers number. If anyone could help sort out a crisis, Morag was the woman for the job, and with her knowledge and long experience of dealing with situations such as this, she was hopeful they could work together to come up with a solution that was beneficial to all involved. "Morag, it's Charlie. Could we meet up some time tonight? Watson's been around and from what I gather, my superiors are pushing for a quick investigation. I don't know how much longer we can keep them at bay", she said as she waited for a reply. With hesitation Morag made the arrangements to meet at Angelo's that night along with Brax so they could sit down and talk things through.

Once Morag was finished, Charlie ended the call and typed up a text message to Brax, informing him of the pan for that night. As she sent the text Charlie felt a sadness wash over her as she reflected back on all the previous times she had text Brax. They used to arrange to meet up to spend time together. Now they were meeting up to try and salvage what was left of their personal lives and save themselves from ruin. It was like they had walked into an alternate reality where everything was flipped on it's head and neither were sure they could ever go back to the way things were. Once the message had been sent Charlie hopped into her car and headed to the city. Determind to at least do something to put a smile on her daughters face by the end of the day.

Looking at the wreck in front of him, Brax rubbed his forehead in frustration. All that was left of his car was a broken shell. Pieces of glass, paint and other debris lay scattered on the ground at his feet along with the crowbar that had been used to create the mess. But it wasn't the fact that his car had been vandalised that bothered Brax. It was the fact that it was his own brother who had been the culprit behind it. After finding his car in its current state the previous night, Brax used the CCTV footage from the Surf Club to identify who had done it. Upon learning it was Casey, he immediately wiped the footage and damaged the camera to make it look like a fault in system. He had caused Casey an unbearable amount of pain in the last few days. He wasn't going to have his brother hassled over something which in Brax's eyes was minor in comparison to what he had done himself.

As he picked up the bigger pieces of rubble, he was pulled from his thoughts by the arrival of a squad car. After receiving Charlie's text, he was aware that they were poking around for statements so he knew it was time to turn on the old Braxton pseudo and double talk his way out of an questions. Watson pulled up next to where Brax's car was parked and stepped out of the car. Looking the wreckage before her up and down, she laughed. "Looks like karma actually does have it in for your type afterall Mr. Braxton", she said. Her dislike of all things Riverboy related clear for anyone to hear. Brax looked at her with a look of annoyance. "Are you just here to make pointless converstaion or have you actually something worthwhile to say? Cause I don't know how you coppers operate but some of us actually have jobs to do eh".

Watson walked around to the far side of the car and stood face to face Brax clearly unimpressed with his lack of respect for the police. "We need to get a statement from Casey about the fire. Any ideas where he is?", she asked. Brax shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. "No. But then again I'm not his mother so I don't usually keep track of where he goes or who with", he said placing his hands on his hips and taking a more steady stance to shake off any hint of uneasiness. Watson glared at him clearly unimpressed. "You're brother and his girlfriend almost died in a fire in a house close by to an area where your brother Heath and the rest of your Riverboy mates are know to hang around. Now that would sound suss to anyone with half a brain", she said trying to evoke a reaction out of the eldest Braxton. But Brax kept his cool.

Realising she wasn't going to get anything out of him, Watson decided to give up for the time being and head back to the station. "When you hear from Casey tell him we're looking for him", she said and with that she walked back to her squad car and jumped into the driver seat. Taking one last look at Brax, Watson couldn't help but see something in his eyes that didn't sit right with her. Obviously he knew more than he was letting on. And she was now more determind than ever to figure out what Brax and the Riverboys were hiding? And why Casey and Ruby were almost killed in what could either be an unfortunate case of wrong place at the wrong time, or, a case of two innocent people paying for the crimes of someone else. No matter what, Watson vowed to uncover the truth.

Down by the beach Indi, Romeo, April, Xavier and Dex all sat around and prided themselves on a job well done. They had just presented Ruby with a leather braided bracelet with a silver medallion engraved with her name on the front and in braille on the back. The gesture moved Ruby, not only because of the gift, but because the rest of her friends had also purchased similar bracelets so Ruby would always know who she was with and that they would always be there for her. They had even purchased one for Nicole and sent it to her in the City so she would always be a part of the group. It was moments like this that made Ruby realise how blessed she was to have such friends in her life. She couldn't thank them enough.

"I don't know what to say. Thank you so much", she said as she cupped the wrist which the bracelet was now sitting upon. The rest of the group smiled feeling like everything they had done today was worthwhile to see Ruby smile again. They just wished Casey had made the effort to show up. "It was no problem. We just want you to know that we're here for you no matter what", April said as she placed a arm around Ruby's shoulders. Raising her head, Ruby attempted to look in April's direction but suddenly lost the confidence to do so when she realised she had no idea what direction that was. Then she thought of Casey. She missed him so much and it had been days since she last saw him. Shifting slightly, she winced when a pain shot through her broken leg.

"Rubes, are okay?", Xavier asked as he noticed her pained expression. "Yeah I'm fine, I just moved too quickly", she reassured him. "Hey, has anyone seen Casey? I haven't heard from him at all", she said hoping someone would answer her rather quickly since she couldn't read their expressions. Xavier looked at the others and after seeing the looks they were giving him, realised he had to be honest. "Yeah, I saw him today. He didn't say much, he was pretty tired. But I'm sure he'll get in touch soon. He probably thinks you need time to rest", he said trying not to make Ruby feel like her boyfriend was avoiding her. Suddenly, an awkward silence fell upon the group. Nobody knowing what to say for fear of saying the wrong thing

Playing with the bracelet on her wrist suddenly Ruby found herself wishing that Charlie was picking her to bring her home. She was grateful for everything her friends had done for her, but at the same time she realised just how unprepared she was to face the real world again. All she wanted to do was go home and curl up on the couch in Charlie's arms and block everything out. All day and all night her mind was flooded with images of that dreadful day. It was like she couldn't switch them off. And waht made it that much worse, was knowing that the Riverboys were still out there and that's what terrified her. She wanted to go home and feel safe in the knowledge that Charlie was there to protect her. She wanted her mother.

It was strange. After everything they had been through in the last two years, Ruby never thought she would ever have such a strong connection with Charlie again. But after everything that happend, she realised that life was too short to let little things get in the way. It was time to move on and finally accept everything that had happened whole heartedly. In that moment Ruby was grateful to have a mother like Charlie. Then it hit her. Touching her bracelet she smiled to herself as an idea came to her. "Hey guys, could you do me a massive favour?", she asked and they all prepared to help her in whatever way they could.

Later that day, Ruby and the gang arrived back at the Surf Club having just arrived back from Yabbie Creek. Sitting at a table they all chatted away happily like old times. Ruby smiled about the little box in her handbag. After everything Charlie had been doing for her, she felt like she need to thank her in some way. Just as she was about to say something, she was interrupted by the message alert tone on Indi's phone. "Oh Ruby it's your mum. She's waiting outside at the bench in the boatshed", she said. Ruby frowned in confusion as to why her mother wanted to meet her outside. Indi smiled to herself and showed the message to the rest of the gang to let them in on the secret. Romeo stood up and helped guide Ruby outside, allowing her to lean on him as not to put pressure on her encased leg.

Romeo looked up and spotted Charlie standing by the bench. When they were close enough, Charlie reached out and hugged her daughter before thanking Romeo for helping her out. "So how was your day?", she asked as she guided Ruby to the bench and they sat down. "It was good to catch up with everyone. They eh, they got me this", she said flashing her new bracelet in front of Charlie. "It's beautiful Rubes. It really is", Charlie said knowing her daughter couldn't actually see the beauty in the bracelet. Ruby smiled and then decided she would present her mother with the gift she had bought her with the help of her friends.

"The guys got one each too so that I'd always know who I was with. Pretty much as a way for me to identify those I can trust. Which is why, I got you this", Ruby said as she removed the box from her handbag. Hnading it to Charlie she awaited her mother's response. Talking the box from Ruby's hands, Charlie opened it up and was left speechless by what she found. Placing the box down on the bench she removed the necklace that was inside. It was pendent on a long silver chain. On the front of the pendent was Charlie's name a chinese symbol underneath which she wasn't familiar with. "Rubes.....it's, it's beautiful. She said as she studied it carefully.

"The chinese symbol on the front is for protection. And......", she said turning the pendent over in Charlie's hand, "....on the back, I had it embossed with braille", she said. Charlie ran her thum across the back of the pendent. "What does it say?", she asked. Ruby looked at her and smiled. "It says Mum", she replied simply. Charlie looked at Ruby the second the word left her mouth. Tears welled up in her eyes and she could feel herself getting choked up. Clutching the necklace close to her chest Charlie thanked Ruby and then pulled her daughter into a hug. Unlatching the hook she put the chain around her neck and connected the clasp. Smiling at the chain that took pride of place around her neck. Now it was Charlie's turn to surprise Ruby.

"Since we're in the giving mood, I actually have something for you", she said and smiled when she saw Ruby sit up straight in anticipation. "Really?", Ruby asked surprised. "It's in the car, I'll be back in a sec". Getting up from the bench, Charlie went to the car to retrieve Ruby's surprise. Within a seconds Charlie arrived back and stood over her daughter. "Okay, hold out your arms", she said. Ruby obeyed her mother and held out her arms. "Rubes, this, is Jacob", she said as she placed the golden labrador puppy in her daughter's arms. "What? Charlie......are you serious?", she asked as she petted the puppy in her arms.

"Of course I'm serious", Charlie said as she smiled at the sight before her. "Jacob is a guide dog in training. In a couple of months, he'll be able to help you get around and adjust to everything", she finished as she sat back down on the bench next to her daughter. "But Charlie, you hate dogs", Ruby said as she glanced in the general direction of where her mother was sitting. "Yeah I do. But I love you. And if this is what it takes, if this is what you need to help you live the best life you can, then I don't care. I'll get over it. I just want you to be happy", she said as she placed a hand on Ruby's arm. Wiping away a tear that had fallen down her cheek, Ruby smiled. "Thank you", she said.

Later that night, Charlie made her way upstairs to Angelo's. just like Morag had said and made her way into the restaurant. She stopped in her tracks when she caught sight of Brax standing behind the bar counting the days takings. Her heart skipped a beat when he looked up at her, She felt her breathing intensify and her knees begin to weaken. As she walked towards the bar, he stepped out from behind the counter to meet her. This was the first time they had been together alone in a room in days. But it felt ike it had been forever as he marvelled at the beauty standing before him. He was still bowled over by the effect Charlie Buckton had on him. He felt things he never felt before.

"Hey", he said once he was close enough. "Hey", she replied. As they stood there in silence they felt the electricity between them take hold. There hearts racing at being so close for the first time in so long. They stared at each others lips wanting so badly to taste them, to be connected once more. Just as they were about to give in, a force to be reckoned with interrupted. "Don't you dare think about it", boomed the voice of Morag Bellingham as she entered the restaurant. "You might have been stupid enough to get involved the first time but under no circumstances will it happen again. Not if I'm going to put my neck on the line to fix the mess you've gotten yourselves in", she said, making her fellings about their relationship evident for all to see.

"Morag please", Charlie pleaded as she felt the sting of the condemning words that Morag spoke. "Oh for God's sake Charlie grow up. Nothing good can ever come from you and Darryl being together. Recent events should have made you very much aware of that", she said as she shook her head in disapproval. "Ironic how Ruby is the one who lost her sight, yet you're the one who is truly blind to what's really standing before her. You will do well to say goodbye to Darryl once and for all when this investigation is through", Morag said finally finshing her rand and leaving Charlie with a lot to think about. Clutching the chain around her neck, she rubbed her thumb against the word 'mum' on the back of the pendent and gathered her thoughts. Looking at Brax who had returned behind the bar, she felt the tears well up in her eyes. She hated to give up, but Morag was right. No good come of being with Brax. At least not now. Maybe in another time and place. But for now, she had to let go. For Ruby's sake, and for her's. With that the three of them sat down and discussed what was going to happen.

Tossing and turning, Ruby found herself engulfed in flames. Her lungs struggling against the smoke that was consuming her. She screamed for help but nobody could hear her. She looked around for a way out but she was trapped. She felt the burning sensation in her eyes and she rubbed them vigorously as everything in front of her faded to black. "Nooooooo", she screamed. "Noooooooo............"

"NO!", Ruby screamed as she jolted upright in the bed. Panic setting in as she rubed her eyes hoping for the blackness to lift. Stumbling out of the bed she fell against the bedside cabinet as she reached out for the door. Opening it up she burst out of the room and fell against the wall trying to feel her way to the living room. Tears cascading down her cheeks as she stumbled her way down the hallway. "No, no, no", she cried. The fear of being trapped consuming her. She could feel her chest tightening as she finally reached the entrance of the living. Feeling around for something to grab she crashed into one of the dining chairs and fell in a heap on the ground in floods of tear. The sound of the crash alerting Charlie who bounded down the hall into the living room and turned on the ligh.

"Ruby", Charlie said as she ran over to where her daughter was sprawled out on the floor. Once she was kneeling beside her daughter, Ruby latched onto her for dear life. "Charlie, Charlie please help me. Please", she cried as she lay her head against Charlie's chest and wept. Trying to catch her breath. Charlie wrapped her arms tightly around Ruby and rocked her back and forth. "It's okay. I'm here, I'm here. Shhhh", she said trying to sooth her. But she couldn't help but feel her own worry take hold. Maybe Ruby was more tormented than she knew.

********************************************************************************

Next Time:

*Charlie and Ruby have a heart to heart

*Casey can't bring himself to visit Ruby

*Leah finds out the truth about Charlie and Brax and makes her feelings quite clear

*Brax wonders if he and Charlie will ever be reunited

That chapter was so beautiful! I had a few tears when Ruby got her bracelet and gave Charlie the necklace and also how Charlie got her a dog even though Charlie hates dogs!

I'm glad Brax is understanding as why Case did that to his car!

And straight talking Morag! :P

Cannot wait for more x

Archived