Fatal Attraction

Guest lollypop

Story Title: Fatal Attraction

Type of story: Long Fic

Main Characters: Charlie/Brax, Ruby/Casey & OC's

BTTB rating: G

Genre: Drama, Tragedy, Family, Romance.

Does story include spoilers: No, but will post warnings at beginning of chapters that may contain spoilers.

Any warnings: Violence.

Summary: What do you do when you find yourself loving someone who's bad for you? How far will Charlie go to be with the man she loves when the odds are stacked against them? Will the two lovers being together, tear apart the entire world around them and have serious consequences for those they love?

"How do make yourself stop loving someone when you know they're bad for you?". For most people the answer was obvious, but for Charlie Buckton, the lines were blurred beyond recognition. Every fibre of her being, her deepest morality and her instincts as a cop told her that Darryl Braxton was not someone she should ever be involved with, or even associated with. But something else, something even deeper insider her, burned a desire, a lust, a physical attraction.

The words echoed inside her head over and over again. Like a broken record that refused to stop playing. Charlie had been warned by both her stepmother Morag and Angelo, that to engage in any form of relationship with a Riverboy would damage her personal and professional life beyond repair. The first taste of resentment Charlie was forced to endure was that of her own daughter. Knowing it wouldn't be fair for Ruby to find out second hand she chose to tell her about her love affair before she made any decision to go public.

Unfortunantly, the discussion didn't go as Charlie planned. Her daughter was furious that she had been lied to for so long, but what hurt her the most, was the complete hypocracy of it all. How could her own mother go behind her back with the proclaimed leader of the Riverboys, after kicking up such a fuss about their bad reputation? Charlie was beginning to feel like everytime her still healing relationship with Ruby took one step forward, she found a way to drag it two steps back. It made her confusion turn to doubt and her heartache wasn't just to stop there.

Morag had gladly weighed out the pros and cons of a potential romance with Brax. Informing Charlie that while she would gain a relationship with Brax, she would stand to lose much, much more. Her career, the respect of her collegues, her standing in the community. She also knew that while a few people would eventually come to accept Charlie and Brax as a pair, many more would turn their noses up. One thing she had learned about all too well after a certain other controversial romance.

The list went on and on, the doubts weighed heavily on her mind, and people seemed to be jumping in with their opinions more and more with each passing day. But something inside Charlie didn't care. Something inside her was currently overriding her emotions and irrational thoughts and pushing her into action. That's how Charlie found herself in her car driving towards the Surf Club. It's what compelled her to get to Angelo's restaurant. To push away her doubts and, to see Brax.

Although Charlie was heavily plagued by her own troubles she was also fearfully aware of the consequences this situation posed for Brax. The Riverboys would never accept one of their own being with a police officer. It went against everything they stood for. If they ever found out the truth she was scared of what they would do. Brax was a strong, independant man, but the Riverboys were a brotherhood, a brotherhood who consider each other as family. A unit who looked out for one another, whatever the cause. The worst thing any one of the Riverboys could do, was betray that trust and unity.

The reason this terrified Charlie, was because she and Brax had already been fumbled by a Riverboy. There was only one other Riverboy next to Heath who was Brax's wingman, Brodie. Although Charlie had been told that there was nothing to worry about, that Brodie could be trusted to keep his mouth shut, something didn't feel right. She wanted to trust that Brax could take care of himself, but as clever as he was, he wasn't clever enough to turn the entire, anti cop gang, onto his side. And that worried her. Not just the consequences for herself or Brax, but what it could mean for those closest to both of them.

Pulling up outside the Surf Club, Charlie climbed out of her car and locked it up, unaware she was being watched from a distance. As she walked into the club through the main doors, she could hear the noise of somebody shuffling around upstairs. Knowing she was so close to Brax, Charlie's heart skipped a beat. All she wanted was to be near him. Bounding up the stairs she walked over to the double door entrance and entered the restaurant. Looking up, Brax's eyes fell upon 'his girl'. Turning the chair upside down and placing it on the table, he turned away from what he was doing and walked up to her, taking her into his arms.

Unable to control themselves, they felt the intensity take over as they found themselves kissing passionatly. Brax gently lifted Charlie of the ground as the kiss deepened with passion. Placing her feet back firmly on the floor, Brax gently caressed Charlie's cheek and then placed a strand of her hair behind her ear. It was unusual for him to be so gentle and caring. Normally he was this hard up, business man who let nothing and no one stand in his way. But Charlie Buckton evoked something within in him that brought out this softer side. Suddenly the mood lowered. The conversation they had been putting off had to be done.

"So what are we gonna do?" Brax asked as he leaned against the table looking directly into Charlie's eyes. Gazing down at her fidgeting hands, Charlie let out a soft sign, indicating her indecisiveness. "I honestly don't know", she said feeling deflated as the words left her mouth. Looking agitated Brax rubbed the side of his head with his hands and stood up, letting out a long frustrated grunt. "So what, we just carry on sneaking around, is that it? Cause I don't know about you but it's not exactly what most normal couples call romantic eh?", he replied a little more aggressively than he had intended.

"What and you think I want it to be this way?", Charlie shouted back. "I want to be able to walk along the beach or down the street and hold your hand in public. I want to be able to kiss you whenever and wherever I want. I want to be able to be in a relationship with you without worrying about my collegues questioning my loyalties as a police officer, or worrying about people judging us because they don't think it's right. I want to be able to call you my boyfriend and not have my daughter angry at me and making me feel like the biggest hypocite alive. But I can't. And I don't know how to change that or make it easier", she finished with a tear in her eye.

"Charlie", Brax said as he stood in front of her, cupping her face in the palm of his hands and gazing into her eyes, "The only thing stopping us from having those things is everyone elses opinions. But they don't matter. All that matters here is you and me, and how I feel about you. How we feel about each other eh", he tried to reassure her. "Brax, you, me, us together, the chances of losing everything are too high. I'm a mother, I don't think it's a risk I can afford to take", she said, tears welling up in her eyes.

Looking at Brax, Charlie wanted nothing more than to be with him, to kiss him right there and then, but there was a part of her pulling her back. A part she couldn't ignore. Like Charlie said, she was a mother first and foremost, and until she was sure there were no dangers involved, no animosity surrounding them, she couldn't put herself in such a position. Brax could sense her hesitation, "Charlie look at me, I am not the guy you think I am. That Angelo wants you to believe I am....."

"........No, you're nothing like the rest of us are you Brax?", came a voice from the doorway. Both Charlie and Brax turned startled, only to find Brodie and four other Riverboys approaching them. "Brodes, what are ye doin?", Brax asked, while looking at the angered expression etched across the faces of the other Riverboys as two of them cracked their knuckles and the others clenched their fists. Brodie smirked at him. Finally feeling like, for once, he had the upper hand on Brax. He was the one holding all the cards.

"Well see, since you're always talking about how the Riverboys are a family, how we look out for each other, I decided to fill the rest of the boys in on your little secret affair with good old Sergeant Buckton over there. Sharin's carin' and all that", he said. His grin growing wider and more firm the more worried Brax looked. "Look Brodie, we don't have to do this", Brax tried to reason with him as he sensed Charlie edging closer to his side as she watched the interaction between the two men while also keeping an eye on the other boys who had tagged along.

"Why not? I mean you were the one who taught us about betrayal and how it can damage a brotherhood. So, me and the boys have decided to live by that code and do what's right", Brodie said, anger levels reaching fever pitch. "Brodie, it doesn't have to be like this", Brax said as he placed a protective arm in front of Charlie. Carefully, he took a step towards Brodie who let out a small laugh. When he turned and saw the look on Brax's face, he lost it.

"I WANT TO JAIL FOR YOU!", he shouted. "You planned it all, the drug crop, the money laundering. Everything. But I was the one who took the rap for it. Not you. Me". Charlie turned and looked at Brax. She had wanted to believe that Brax was true to his word. That he wasn't as dodgy as she believed him to be. That he wasn't involved what she had found in the national park that day. But the anger and the venom behind Brodie's words, made the truth plain for her to see. But even though she felt hurt by his deceit, she still feared for his life. She couldn't bear to see anything happen to him. Again she found the lines blurred between right and wrong where Brax was concerned.

"Me and the boys have decided. We're not gonna kill ye. We're not even gonna hurt your missus. But we want you out of the Riverboys, and all it's business", Brodie had a glint in his eye as he spoke. Brax hesitated, looking at the other boys and then back at Brodie, "What are you talking about?", he asked, although he had a general idea of where the conversation was going. Brodie smiled, "You're in charge, I mean you were in charge. You kept track of all the deals, the money, the accounts. You hand it all over and you'll never hear from us again. And you can live happily ever after with your little copper bunk buddy", he explained.

"No!", Brax replied without so much as a second thought. Charlie blanched at what he had said and then finally found her voice, "What? Brax what are you doing? You know these guys, you know what they're capable of", she said, the worry clear in her voice. She turned to look at Brodie who was still smiling. He turned to his mates and they all began sniggering. "See I knew you'd say that. Good ol' Brax, always thinking he's smarter than everyone else. So, I decided to take your approach to the matter. That's why I've taken out some collateral. Ye know in the event that you decide you don't wanna change your mind".

Brodie turned to one of his boys and told him to go retrieve the 'collateral' to give Brax a chance to rethink his answer. Charlie looked at Brax with pleading eyes, wanting him to change his answer. But he was a proud man and he wasn't going to be scared into anything. A couple of minutes later they heard footsteps coming up the stairs. But there was more than one pair. Gazing at the doorway Charlie's heart sank when she saw the two figures standing before her followed closely by one of the Riverboys.

"RUBY!" she shouted as she tried to brush past Brax and run to her daughter, but Brax held her back for fear of Brodie doing something drastic. Standing side by side, Casey and Ruby were bound and gagged and being held back by two of the other boys. Charlie burst into tears when she saw the fear and in her daughters eyes. Brax wanted to kill Brodie there and then for dragging Casey into the whole mess. He struggled to hold Charlie back but he knew he couldn't let her go. Not when things were so risky.

"It's simple Brax. You want these two back, alive and well, give us what we want. Otherwise, we'll make sure you feel as angry and betrayed as we do", Brodie said mockingly. Charlie continued to cry as she realised just exactly the level of the risk Morag had been talking about. Her whole world was standing in front of her in the hands of men who could cause her a great deal of harm and there was nothing she could do about it. Suddenly the saying risking it all for love brought on a whole new meaning. One that petrified her.

"Please, let them go. Let Ruby go. She's diabetic. If she doesn't get her insulin she'll die anyways. Please, just let her go!", Charlie managed through her heart wrenching sobs. Ruby was clearly distressed, her eyes were completely red from crying. She was terrified and she didn't even know why any of this was happening. Brodie looked between Charlie and Ruby and then finally back at Charlie. "Oh don't worry. We want her to suffer through the whole ordeal too. We've got insulin and all that stuff. But ah, you know a couple of those virals could go missing if Brax tries anything funny", he said.

"You've got till the end of the week to get everything in order. DON'T muck us about", Brodie said as he stood toe to toe with Brax. Relishing the feeling of power he held in his hands. With that he turned and walked past the other boys and towards the door. Two of them dragged Casey and Ruby towards the exit. They both strugged against it, Ruby trying to scream for Charlie through the rag bound around her mouth. Her painful cries too much for Charlie to bear.

She tried to go after them, after Ruby, but Brax pulled her back, fearing what they would do if Charlie interferred. She turned in his arms and banged her fists against his chest. Cursing him for not agreeing to hand everything over and getting Casey and Ruby back sooner. Then she broke down. Her arms no longer able to keep trashing against Brax. The pain of seeing her daughter being man handled by thugs too much to bear. Suddenly, not only did she understand the risks she had been warned about, but she was now living them. She couldn't believe just how involved in all this Brax was but at the same time, she couldn't fight how much she loved him. The attraction she had to Brax was no longer a physical attraction. It was a fatal attraction.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived