Fatal Attraction

Guest lollypop

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a gripping emotional GREAT story …….

…….its devastating that Rubes has lost her sight BUT your comment "It will actually be key to the progression of the story down the track.” gives me hope that it’s not permanent.

Hey everyone, again thanks for the reviews and comments. Much appreciated. Here's the next chapter. It's not great but I've been pretty distracted lately. Anyways I hope to have one more update done by Saturday as I'll be abroad for a week after that and won't be able to update. If I don't get to update before that I'm really sorry and I hope to update more often when I get back. Enjoy!!

Chapter 4

Casey slammed his fist down hard on the kitchen table. His mother had just filled him in on everything Brax and Heath had been involved in and he was furious. How could his own brothers have put him at risk like that? Especially Brax. He was the one always looked out for Casey and tried to help him set himself up for a better life. A life outside of the Riverboys. But above all else, he was angry that his own family had cost his girlfriend her sight. It was one thing for him to have been caught up in it all, afterall, Brax and Heath are his brothers, he could predict that someday living in their shadow would catch up on him. But Ruby had done nothing wrong. She didn't deserve to be dragged under.

"How could they do this?", he shouted staring at his mother with an unmistakeable anger burning in his eyes. "How could they put us at risk like that? We did nothing wrong and we're the one's paying for it", he finished rubbing his hands against the side of his head as he tried to calm himself down. Placing a hand on Casey's shoulder, his mother tried to comfort her son to take the edge off. She knew better than anyone than when her sons were rattled up, they were like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. "I don't know. But if you have any sense you will stay well away. Otherwise you'll end up going down the same path as your brothers", she said. Casey took one look at his mother, stood up and walked out of the house.

In the Diner, Charlie sat at the counter waiting on her breakfast order when Irene walked in for her shift. Walking behind the counter, Irene put on her apron and turned to face Charlie. "Hiya Darl, how's Ruby doin'?", a sympathetic look on her face as she thought of the young girl who was like a surrogate daughter to her. Charlie looked down at her hands and sighed. "She's as well as can be expected under the circumstances", she said. Irene nooded understandingly, "Is she still in the hospital?", she asked as she handed Charlie a coffee on the house. "No, they discharged her last night. I brought her home and she went straight to bed. I think she's still in denial about it all", she finished as she thought about how dispondent Ruby had been when they arrived home the previous night.

"Aw poor Darl. It must be real tough on her. Has she started, you know, learnin' how to get about and stuff?", Irene asked crossing her arms and watchin Charlie intently. "Yeah they started on some basics at the hospital. We're going to go through some stuff today, mainly just helping her make her way around the house and making things easier for her to reach or to find", Charlie replied, suddenly saddened when she realised how much of an adjustment Ruby's life would be. "Aw look she'll get through this love. It'll take some gettin' used to but she's a fighter. She'll pick herself back up in no time", Irene said with an enthusiastic grin. Just then, Brax appeared through the main door. He stopped when he spotted Charlie and thought about turning around and leaving but she saw him before he could.

"Hey", he said in a hushed voice. Leah walked out from the kitchen with Charlie's order and stopped in her tracks when she noticed the uneasiness between them. Walking up to the counter she interrupt Charlie from her trance like state. "Um, here's your order", she said handing it over to her housemate. Charlie turned around and picked it up off the counter. Standing up she brushed past Brax as quickly as her legs would take her and left. Leah stood looking at him, waiting to see if he was going to place an order, instead he gazed at her and then exited out the opposite door. Rejection beginning to make it's ugly presence known to him.

"So did anyone find out what happened Ruby and Casey?", April asked as she, Indi, Romeo and Dex walked along the beach. They all shook their heads. They'd asked around to see if they could find out more about what had happened but so far it was all still a big unsolved mystery. Just then they saw Xavier bounding down the beach towards them. They all stopped as he approached and when he finally got to where they were standing he doubled over trying to catch his breath. Everyone looked at him wondering why he was in such a hurry. "Ah, Xav, something you wanna tell us?", Romeo asked as he patted his friend on the back. Finally, Xavier managed to catch his breath. "I just met up with Casey and guys, you're not gonna believe what he just told me".

A few minutes later and the whole gang were all sitting around in silence, trying to digest what they had just been told."I can't believe it. I mean I knew the Riverboys were trouble, but this, this is actually disgusting", Indi said as she dug in the sand with a twig she had found. "Poor Casey. It must be hard for finding out what his brothers have been up to for so long. And Ruby getting caught in the middle of it all just because she's Casey's girlfriend", April said. Xavier flinched slightly. He had told them that the Riverboys had turned on Brax and Heath and kidnapped Casey and Ruby. But he had left out the part about Charlie and Brax having a secret affair and that being the reason that Ruby was dragged into it.

Truth be told, he wasn't sure he could believe it himself. While he knew it was none of his business, he couldn't help but feel disappointed in Charlie. But knowing from talking to Casey that none of this was public knowledge he decided it best he kept it to himself until he found out whether or now it was true. He also didn't want to risk anyone getting in trouble for knowing more than the police. "Xav, you okay?", Dex asked. Realising he had been quiet for a long time, Xavier nodded his and said he was fine. Then Indi spoke up. "Hey guys, I think we should do something for Ruby. You know to cheer her up and let her know we're there to support her", she said looking around at everyone. "What do you suggest?", Romeo asked as he looked at his girlfriend curious to find out what she was planning. "Come on, we need to head into Yabbie Creek", she that they all set off to find out what Indi had in store.

Knocking on Ruby's door, Charlie entered her bedroom and noticed the teen's eyes were still closed. "Rubes, are you awake", she asked as she went over and sat on the bed. She was surprised to see her daughter nod back at her as she expected she would have to gently shake her. "Yeah I'm awake", Ruby responded rather half heartedly. Charlie stroked Ruby's arm as she questioned her daughter's odd behaviour. "Well then why are your eyes shut?", she asked. "Open, closed, what does it matter. It's all just black anyways", she said. The reaction saddened Charlie as she could hear Ruby's voice shaking with emotion as she talked.

The next few moments went by rather awkwardly for both Buckton's. Charlie had to be Ruby's eyes to help her pick out her outfit for the day. And when they were done picking out clothes, she had to help her brush her teeth, how to manoever around the bathroom so she could shower and then she had to help her find her own bedroom. It was difficult. Ruby had to memorise how to get from the bathroom down the corridor to her own room and then how to get from her own room to the living room. She used her sense of touch to help herself along the corridor and Charlie walked ahead to guide her. As she made into the living room she felt around for something to grab hold but there was nothing close by and she hesitated.

"I can't do it", Ruby said as she stood still. Charlie looked at her, "What why not?", she asked. A tear rolled down Ruby's cheek as thought about why she she couldn't do it. "Because I'm scared. I'm scared of the unknown. I'm scared that every next step I take could be the wrong one. That something could go wrong". Suddenly Charlie realised what Ruby was talking about. She was scared of not knowing what was in front of her. Of not being able to see any dangers that may be in her way. Knowing how insecure this made her daughter feel Charlie stood in front of her and grabbed a hold of Ruby's hands. "Rubes listen to me. I am right her, right in front of you. I know you're scared and I know it's hard not knowing what's coming in front of you", she said as she cupped Rubys face in the palm of her hands. "But I will be here to catch you. If you trip, I'll break your fall. If you lose your sense of direction, I'll guide you on to the right path. But it will only get easier if you try".

At Angelo's, Brax was stood behind the bar, polishing the wine glasses, and watching as people made their way in and out of the restaurant. Every time a slender brunetter walked throught the door he held his breath, hoping it would be Charlie. But every time he was left disappointed. Just as he was finishing up, he heard the laughter of teenagers entering the restaurant. Turning around he spotted Casey's friend Xavier and Dex, as well as their other friends walking through the restaurant. When they looked up at Brax, their laughter stopped and they all looked at him nervously. Until Dex pointed out that they were making it obvious that they were staring.

Watching as they sat down, Brax could by the way they stared at him that then knew more than they were letting on. After a couple more minutes he could't take the awkward glances over in his direction and he made his way out of Angelo's, asking one of his staff to take the kids orders as he left. As he walked over to his car he got in and sat behind the steering wheel. Gripping it with force as he tried not to let his frustration get the better of him. He thought about going home until he remembered that home was now a stingy motel room just outside of town. A surf was out of the question as he knew Heath and his mates would be hanging around the beach, waiting to tear lumps out of him. Then he thought about Charlie. He knew it was wrong, but he couldn't himself. He had to go see her and make things right. Turning the key in the ignition, he tore out of the car park and made his way for her house.

Inside the restaurant the gang all sat around pleased with themselves after returning from Yabbie Creek. April was the first to speak up. "So do you think Ruby will like the surprise?", she asked as she looked between the rest of the gang. Dex nodded his head "I think she'll love it. It's thoughtful and unique. I hate to say but Indi, you actually did good", he said with a half genuine, half sarcastic smile. Indi laughed at her brothers half hearted attempt at praising her. "Why thank you Dex, I do have my moments". Romeo checked his watch and had an idea himself. "Hey guys, instead of getting pizza, why don't we pick up Ruby and have a picnic on the beach. We can give her the present while we're there". he said. Everyone nodded in agreement and set off for the Diner to pick up a picnic basket. Setting there plan in motion.

Arriving Charlie's house, Brax pulled up outside and turned off the engine. Looking at the house he hesitated. Now that he was so close, he wasn't sure he was doing the right thing. But something inside him woulodn't stop eating away at him untill he saw Charlie. So, with one final deep breath he got out of the car and made his way around towards the back door. Just as he was approaching, he heard Charlie's voice coming from the kitchen through the open window. Suddenly losing his nerve to go and knock on the door, he hid in the bushes and peered throught the window to see what was going on.

Sitting at the kitchen table, Charlie was helping Ruby adapt to the kitchen utensils by feeling them out so she would know what she was holding and where it could be found. Brax watched as Charlie handed Ruby another utensil. Taking a firm grip of it, Ruby used her other hand to feel out the object. All the while staring off into the distance. Never at anything in particular. Turning his focus to Charlie, he could see the sadness in her eyes as she watched Ruby try to work out object after object. Her sadness turned to a brief yet forced smile when Ruby succeed. It tore him up inside to think that their lives were perfectly happy until he showed up. Realising that he couldn't fix what had happened to Ruby, he became deflated. Knowing deep down that Charlie couldn't forgive him for the suffereing he had caused her daughter. With one last glance, he turned on his heel and headed back to the restaurant.

That night Ruby lay in bed with her eyes wide open. She could sense her mother's presence standing in the doorway watching over her but she said nothing. Exhausted by the day she had spent learning how to adapt to her new life, she could help but feel angry. Everything that used to seem so simple to her now seemed like the biggest challenge. Every day was a constant test, and a reminder that her life would never be the same. But what was worse was, she knew that when she went to sleep, the next morning she would wake up to noting but more darkness. And no matter how hard Charlie tried to make things better, in Ruby's mind, there was no such thing as better.

Walking along the road in the darkness, Casey held a hand to his still healing ribs. Although he tried not to be like his brothers, at times like this, he knew he shared a common triat with them. When he felt betrayed, his anger took over and common sense went out the window. As he approached the Surf Club he spotted Brax's black Holden ute parked outside. As he was about to make his way into the club and confront his older brother he stopped. Turning around he looked at the car. Walking around to the back he picked up the crowbar Brax kept in the back. Talking to his brother would be useless, All he would get were empty apologys that meant nothing. Raising the corw bar up he gripped it tightly and then...bang He smashed id down onto the hood of the car.

The more he struck the car, the harder he hit, the angrier he got. As he continued to bash the car he thought of Ruby and what happened to her. He thought of himself and what he had been through. But above all else he thought of the trust that had been broken between him and his eldest brother and he lost it. Finally, with no energy left, he stopped. Looking at the destruction in front of him, Casey dropped the crowbar. Broken class, damaged wing mirrors lay scattered all over the ground. The car was a broken heap. In Casey's eyes, it represented his relationship with his brother. There was no way back.

Next Time:

*Romeo, Indi, Xaver, April and Dex bring Ruby on a picnic and surprise her with a gift

*With the help of her friends Ruby decides to give Charlie a gift, but Charlie also has a surprise for her daughter

*Brax finds out Casey was responsible for thrashing his car.

*Watson becomes suspicious when nobody has a legitimate story about what happened

Wow this is an absolutely amazing story!! :o

Like seriously, I don't think I have read a fic this good in agesss!

You are an unbelievable writer lollypop!

This story...it just astounds me!

Really cannot wait for the next chapter lollypop!

This fic is truly amazing!! :D

Archived